Speaker 1: So what do you do to earn the trust of the team as a TPM.
Speaker 2: Don't be a know at all. Yeah, don't make assumptions, have extreme empathy and listen. As a technical program manager, you're often the one that's kind of in the shadows a little bit, right, Like you're the one who helps other people shine, go outside, go on a walk, be in nature. We are way too connected to technology and I think our human brains can only handle so much. And with AI, it's just like way you know, made, it's made the problem even worse.
Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to the Devlife Podcast. I'm here with Brooke. Hey, Brooke, Hello, how are you Hey? Doing good? How are you doing good?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Just new year, lots of great things going on. I think twenty twenty six is going to be a really positive I don't know, so I just feel really good energy this year.
Speaker 1: So me too, I really feel it too. Well. I'm really excited to let everyone know. Today we have a very special guest, which is Brooke. She is going to tell us about being a TPM. So let's start with that. What is a TPM? Brook?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And yeah, what is what are There's too many acronyms in life a TPM technical program manager. So I actually I have a little bit of a windy journey in my career, but when I look back on it at all, like lines up really well. I mean I've gone from getting a master's in education, being a teacher for a while, becoming a software engineer doing that for a while, and then that led into my manager suggesting, Hey, you know, you have a kind of a knack for working with people and would you ever consider becoming a technical program manager? And I honestly was like, I don't even know what that is, but I love it. And essentially, a technical program manager is someone who's kind of like connecting the dots across teams and departments. So when there's a program, when there's an initiative that the team is working on, rights, it's the TPM who can really be the one that comes up with like the program brief and really lays out the foundation for what are the problems we're trying to solve, what are the suggested solutions, What are the phases that we're going to go through to accomplish this? Who all is involved, how are we going to execute this? What meetings do we need to set up, what channels of communication do we need to have, how are we going to get buy in and align the stakeholders, but then executing it too, basically being the person who looks over everyone's shoulder to make sure that things are getting done and if there's a problem or if something isn't quite working, we fix it and we make it happen. So, you know, really like seeing the full picture and really executing on that and just being kind of the backbone of the project or program.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, that's such a big role. Like as you're describing this, it sounds exactly like the role of what I was missing when I sold my business and kind of why I sold my business because I couldn't do all of that, you know. And so, man, if I could go back in time for you looking back now, what actually changed for you when you moved from engineering to TPM and can you talk a little bit to that.
Speaker 2: I was really fortunate because it wasn't such a like a you know, one day I'm an engineer. In the very next day, I'm a TPM at Limble our company. Because my manager saw that I had, you know, he knew I was a GDE. He knew I was running this meet up, I had a podcast, and he could see that I was just like on the side, even though I was doing all of my programming and like software engineer tasks, I was also organizing all these events and like putting things together. And I think he saw that, you know, like saw that I was gravitating towards doing these other things, and that where he was like, well, we do have a need and right now we only have our lead TPM, but we know she needs help, and so he's like, have you ever considered going into program management? And then that's when he was like, well, let's just try it out. Let's just do you know, like maybe twenty percent TPM and you're still doing eighty percent engineering, And so we tried that out. I kind of dipped my toe into things, was enjoying it enough that then it went to like thirty seventy and then eventually that's when it was like, Okay, you know this, this is really something I enjoy and let's just go all in.
Speaker 1: I feel like when I joined Limble, it was like like instantly I felt the value of your position, like how you were setting up ways for us to learn and like all these cool sessions and the culture was just so solid because of everything you were doing. That's really good to hear gright at that. Are there any parts of engineering you miss though, and what parts are you relieved to have let go of?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, a lot of what I miss is that collaboration, kind of that team togetherness, you know, like I still understand what engineers are doing, and I think that's one benefit to having been a software engineer because I do have that understanding and i know what it feels like. But I'm not in the trenches like I used to be, and that part I do miss. There's a certain kind of camaraderie that you know, you know what I'm talking about, Like it's just sort of cool to like go into the war room together or like try to solve a bug or something together, and I miss that. A lot of what a TPM does is more individualistic, which is weird to say because I'm always on the call. Like I'm always on calls, I'm always talking with people. But at the same time, it like I'm sort of like assigning out tasks and then taking on tasks myself and looking over it. But it's not quite the same as like solving a bug together.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so I do miss that, Yeah totally, Like if you were coding, I would totally be excited to say screen share with you and might coe together and that camaraderie would be awesome. But yeah, I could see like how there's pros and cons you know, you're probably making huge impact, but also like there's it sounds like a lot of leadership is in that role. And I've like recently fallen into a bit of a leadership position Alan Bill as well, and it feels like as soon as you're in a leadership position, you know, telling people what to do, scheduling meetings, some of the camaraderie disapperies. Yeah, they can, speaking of which, like what surprises you most about how engineers perceive the TPM role and like how do they perceive that role?
Speaker 2: I think it depends on the company, to be honest, because it's interesting when you ask someone what is a TPM, you get twenty different answers, like from twenty different people, And I think there's a misconception of exactly when I shouldn't say misconception, I should more appropriately say that every company has a particular need for how the going to utilize their TPMs, right, and so it's going to look different I think for every company. Some I think use a TPM more along the lines of what a program manager is going to do and not strictly a TPM. So I don't know, it's kind of a hard answer or a hard question because every company does have a different expectation, I think, and so engineers like for me, for example, when I did make that transition, a lot of what I was doing was like what you just said, I was organizing learning initiatives and putting together little min like mini conferences of sorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, what that turned into was that over time, even though I was working on security initiatives and you know, implementing things like sneak into our code base and like really trying to bulke up our security efforts and things like that, or I was really involved with getting launched darkly implemented into our code base and our process. Like I had all these other things going on, but a lot of our team members just kind of saw me as the fun maker and that was like wait, wait, wait, no, I do a lot more than just organize like you know, these little events or or you know, I was organizing things like team building initiatives and things like that. So yeah, I think sometimes it's just hard whatever is more forward facing kind of what the team is going to see. But if the company is praising you or like sharing, you know, the progress and things that you've done, then I think the team will recognize. Yeah, so does that make sense? So I think it's really like and how the company manage managed and leadership is really sharing your work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because you're doing a lot of behind the scenes things that make important things work out, but people wouldn't know. That makes sense. So if you, you know, were to tell if you had an engineer and you could give them any advice on how they should interact with the TPM on their team, what does that look like? Like? What should a good engineer do to communicate and work with their TPM and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Really, I mean it depends on what the initiative it is, like, what the program is that you start working with the TPM on. But I think communication is really huge because whatever the TPM is doing is trying to fix something or it's trying to improve something. So the best thing you can do is just be as open as possible and like the tp needs to have as much information as they possibly can, and that's usually where I would start, is asking a million questions so that I can fully understand how are things currently going, what's currently happening. And then once I've gathered all that information from pretty much everybody involved, then I get that full picture. But the more that you're open and just really you know, communicative with the TPM, like don't hold back, don't be shy, they're not going to judge you. They're not going to like, you know, look down on you because things aren't going perfectly. Nothing's ever going to be perfect, But just be as open as you can and answer the questions that they ask and know that, like they're just trying to solve a problem. So I would just say that, like, you know, help them to understand where the problems have been or where things need to improve, and then get them that information so that they can kind of like spearhead the initiative to fix it or improve it.
Speaker 1: Love that. Love that. So what advice would you give to like other TPMs, Like maybe something that's like the TPMs need to hear sort of a thing.
Speaker 2: Again, I think it kind of depends on the company. But I do think sometimes there's a tendency too, and I would say this with program managers or even tech leads honestly, but sometimes there's this tendency to want to schedule more meetings than maybe you should because you do need to collect information, you know. I would just say, like, be really careful with don't overschedule things. Try to keep meetings as brief and concise and to the point, you know, as you possibly can, and be respectful to the fact that, like software engineers really need to be focusing on their job, right, So yeah, I like that would be one thing I would say is just be really conscientious of other people's time and also the reality of is my suggested implementation or my proposal to improve or fix things is it really realistic? So just being very aware of like what tools and processes is the company already using and can I use that instead of throwing out an idea to bring in something totally new or different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you do to earn the trust of the team as a TPM?
Speaker 2: Don't be a know at all, Yeah, don't make assumptions, have extreme empathy, and listen. Don't talk, but listen. I think those are some of the biggest things. Like it's natural to go into any kind of situation and have all sorts of background experience or things that worked somewhere else, but there's no cookie cutter solution to what you're doing. So that's great, that's wonderful that you have something that worked in a different situation or with a different team, but that may not be what's going to be the solution for what you're trying to solve right now, Like, you really need to just sit down, ask questions, listen as much as you possibly can, and get to know the people on your team because they are individuals with unique personalities and they're going to come with a lot of I mean, most of the time you're trying to fix a problem, right, so there's going to be probably some yeah, I don't know, just situations that you need to be very careful not to go in there and just make assumptions and like push your way in, right, Yeah, so really listen, figure out how things are working, who doing what, who's fitting what role. Even if it's not an official title, every person on a team has a role, and you need to be careful not to like step on toes or go in there and just implement all this stuff without figuring out how things are currently working. But then, like I said, you got to really just have that empathetic listening ear and then present a solution without being married to it as well, right Like, whatever you suggest is probably not going to be one hundred percent what is rolled out, so don't be married to it. You have to get buy in from everyone and just be willing to you know, I think you really have to. I believe very firmly in being agile and just being okay with iterations and trying something out a little bit and then tweaking it and improving it, but working really closely with everyone on the team to make sure that they're okay with it too.
Speaker 1: Oh so much good stuff there, And honestly, I think this is definitely super relevant to like team lead tech leads too good everything you said right there, I'm like, oh, I need to listen more. Sometimes I come in and like, let's get it done. Here's how I've done it, you know, my past company. But like listening, man, Like that's the I guess, you know, they say, like we have two years of mouth, And it's for a reason.
Speaker 2: It's interesting too, because as I've spoken, and like, you know, sometimes I'll go in and I'll try things and maybe it's not working. Like I've had this happen recently where I get frustrated because it's like I've tried all the things that you've taught me and I can't figure out why this isn't working. So my mentor I was asking her, like, what what would you do? And she's like, ask more questions. It's like, what do you mean, ask more questions? I need to fix things. And she's like, but the more questions you ask, you're getting the other person to really think about what you want them to think about.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: People don't change until they want to change and when they think it's their idea. So the more that you, as a leader ask the right questions and get them to see why they want to change and what they're trying to accomplish. You know. But questioning you're not telling them, you're not commanding them. You're getting them to dig up why they want what they're asking for. So it's it's a powerful tool. Questioning.
Speaker 1: I love that. So instead of me being like, hey Brooke, this is urgent, critical bug I need to go get it fixed by Thursday. I'd be like, hey, did you hear about that bug? You know? And then we have a conversation and like, do you think we should get this done quickly? And you have context you're like, yeah, you know, that feels far more friendly and maybe gives you a chance to actually have buy in instead of me telling you what to do and then you being like, Okay, you got a boss, you know, right, Yeah, yeah, that's something I could do better. That's really it's ask questions for sure. So how do you decide when to step in versus stay out of the way.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. I mean think, well, that's a hard question. You step in when nothing else is working, Like it just becomes clear and see the problem. Like, one thing about being a TPM is that you often aren't working with just engineers, right, Like, it's kind of cross department, so I would step in, Like I'm trying to think of a good example, and one I can think of is I've recently been added to be the TPM over a big project at our company that goes across multiple departments. And the reason that we felt like there needed to be a TPM over that was because you had one department running how you know, like they're part of it, and then the engineering department was running their portion of it, but they weren't aligning. And so you had documentation over here, you had documentation over here. They weren't in the same place. There wasn't one source of truth, and communication channels were failing. There was no cross communication and there was no buy in. And if I had asked someone over here in this department what the roadmap was and what the goals were, they would tell you very different things and what the engineering department would tell you. So I stepped in to create that alignment and to create healthy communication channels where there was transparency, there was a shared source of truth. You know, everybody was really aligned. So does that that makes sense? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that makes so much sense And I love that. Yeah, So switching gears a little bit here. How do you personally stay technically sharp without writing production code every day?
Speaker 2: Is it definitely a personal I should say, habit right like you? But it also depends on the project. I mean I mentioned there was I noticed the gap probably about a year ago where our company isn't a place where it's still fairly young. We were at that time still very much in the startup phase, and we really had only had like one of our original founders who was in charge of security. And because we started growing and growing and growing, we were focused on developing a more bulked up product team and a larger engineering team, but security got a little bit left in the dust. And so I was looking at some documentation when and was kind of horrified to find out we had nothing on security. So that's where I was like, we've got to change this, and so I took it upon myself to start really building out better documentation on our current security process, how things were handled, and then implementing new things so that we actually had a process and a shared understanding of vulnerabilities or you know, all of these things. Oh my gosh, Matt, what was the original question?
Speaker 1: Oh just kind of like what you felt like, you do this stay technically sharp?
Speaker 2: Oh right, right, Okay. So because of that, like we started looking into different tools or platforms that would help us to be more secure. And so for that we at that time we had Sneak, but we weren't using it, and so it was there, it was what was available. We were already paying for it. I didn't know it, but I had to go make sure that I understood it better. And so again it's just asking questions, but I had to go do research. I had to read documentation. So in that instance, it was me having to learn more about the tool that we already had, but you know, setting aside the time to do that so that I could try to have more intellectual conversations with actually you you got brought into that project as well, but others, so that you know, I could actually lead the program, lead the initiative and not get lost. So sometimes your your position just sort of demands it and you have to learn whatever the company decides is the tool or the platform that we're going to use to fix the problem. But also at the same time, like I'm still an angular GDE and so it's very important to me to attend conferences, go to meetups, you know, be watching things that are released on YouTube, and it's just part of my daily discipline honestly, is to set aside that learning time and be watching LinkedIn or you know, like where people are posting, so social media, watching social media and if I see someone like Deborah Carota or someone who's posting about signals, then Yeah, it is just part of being a professional, I think is taking the time to study those things and be up on Okay, back hand four months ago, it's like what is signals? What is that? You know? And I had to learn more about it and what it was solving, what it was fixing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like part of it naturally comes through the job, but also definitely making some dedicated effort to make sure you're learning new things and staying on top of it. And I've definitely seen you do both a lot of that. Speaking of signals as a TPM, what advice do you have for angular teams from like a broader lens, Like what patterns separate healthy teams from struggling ones? For example, go.
Speaker 2: Back to how much I really believe in being agile. I wouldn't have said that back like when I was still actually a software engineer. Our team here at Limboll was small enough, there were seventeen of us between product and engineering, and we didn't really practice agile development. I mean it was like we had one big bucket with all of the tickets and tasks that needed to be done, and we all just kind of went in and picked what we wanted and worked on it, but as the team grew, it became obvious that we needed to have more structure and really have this iterative process. And it was kind of painful at first because I'm someone that sort of naturally resists what feels tedious, I think, and it can filter, you know, oh my gosh, there's more meetings. There's yet another meeting on my agenda because now we have to do not just stand up, but we have backlog grooming, we have planning, we have retro. And it was like, dude, I don't need more meetings, you know, but after your team gets into the rhythm and the flow of those meetings, you actually go, wow, this is helping us a lot. So that would be one thing I would say is just like, don't resist process, you know, be open to trying new things and working in that agile way. Yeah, that's a huge thing for me.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, there's so many ways, and it really depends on the team, but just be open and like I said earlier, like really just communicate with people. I think that's one of the best things you can do across any angular team, but any team in general. It's like just communicate. Do learning together though as well, you know, don't feel so isolated to have to learn things on your own. I think sometimes teams forget that the best learning is done when you have like maybe in open office hours. We've done that recently. But don't make your teams and your team members feel like they have to do all the learning after work hours. Do it together, learn together, grow together, solve problems together.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, I'm so glad we've had some time to learn together instead of just like, oh, figure it out, you know, especially with the AI, right because if the process is just figure it out, and then people default to AI and start to like not learn as much and rely more on AI. And we've already talked about brain rot and what can happen with that. Yeah, but my last question for you is what do you do to like live your best dev life while being a TPM, especially like with it sounds like sometimes things go unrecognized and there's you know, there's a lot of caveats and tricky things about the role. So how do you live your best dead life and lifestyle while being a TPM?
Speaker 2: It can be hard. You kind of brought it up earlier, where as a technical program manager, you're often the one that's kind of in the shadows a little bit, right, Like you're the one who helps other people shine. But that doesn't always mean that your work gets recognized because you're telling everybody else like, oh, go do this, and this is your role, and you go do this. So sometimes it can feel like you aren't being recognized, but it doesn't mean that. And I have to remind myself that you and I have this conversation sometimes where it's like, I don't know, just take care of yourself. I think is like, you know, like have that self love of like knowing that your job is helping other people to shine too.
Speaker 1: And I love that.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite things about the job is helping other people to really grow and accelerate and have all this great success. But that is one thing I do, is a lot of self care and just making sure that I have that self love, if that makes sense. So that is one thing I do to have a good, my best dead life. But another thing too, and I would say this goes across roles and positions, is like really finding a good work life balance. I direct a meet up, we do the podcast. You and I also run the s like the Salt Lake City Google Developer Group. We go around the country and we give talks and presentations. Like it gets really easy to overwhelm myself doing a lot of these other things on top of having my job. But one of the best things that I've done lately is just remembering that I need to have time for me and for my family and my loved ones, the ones who are closest to me, because when I'm not doing that, then I just burn out. So finding a balance and really making sure I stick to just these are my work hours, and here are my boundaries. I'm available from this time to this time, and you know, maybe timebox other things. But outside of those hours, I am not on the computer. I'm not doing work. I'm doing my personal hobbies and things that bring me joy outside of work related stuff. So important. Go outside, go on a walk, be in nature. We are way too connected to technology, and I think our human brains can only handle so much. And with AI, it's just like way you know made, it's made the problem even worse. And the best advice I can say is just go be in nature, be outside, do things where you're connecting with humans. Endless mother nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, it's like we were talking about the other day, like we're probably not gonna honor deathbeds. Say, oh, I wish I spent less time with my loved ones out in nature. I wish I spent more time coding in the dark after hours, right yeah, yeah, Well everybody, this is brook Gde you know, does it all in TPM like one of seriously the best people I've ever worked with, who is amazing at everything she does. And I cannot say enough good about Brooks. So thank you so much for all you've shared today, Brooke. And this is the deav life.
Speaker 2: The attack could the d