Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: I want you to close your eyes for a second, just for a moment. Forget about your to do list, forget about the emails pinging in your inbox. Instead, I want you to picture a heist.
Speaker 3: Not your typical heist though, No ski masks, no getaway cars, no, nothing like that.
Speaker 2: This is a heist happening, oh about two hundred million miles away from where you're sitting. Picture a robot, maybe the size of a large van, and it's just floating in the complete absolute silence of deep space.
Speaker 3: And its target is this mountain of rubble that's just tumbling through the dark.
Speaker 2: Exactly it's trying to I don't know, high five. This spinning pile of rocks and mountain.
Speaker 3: Of rubble is actually, you know, not far from the scientific term. We're talking about the asteroid Benu. It's what's called a rubble pile asteroid, which means it's basically a loose collection of rocks and dust all held together by well, not much more than its own weak gravity.
Speaker 2: It's it's fragile, right, And this Robi, which is Nanza's Osyrius for Rex spacecraft, had one job, just one incredibly delicate, high stakes job. Go to this asteroid, match its speed, match it spin, then reach out an arm, touch the surface for just a few seconds, grab a little souvenir, and then fly all the way home.
Speaker 3: It sounds so simple when you put it like that.
Speaker 2: It sounds simple when you say it fast. But it was anything but. I mean, the level precision is just it's mind boggling.
Speaker 3: And it was even harder than they planned when they actually made contact. This was back in twenty twenty. The surface was so much softer than their models predicted.
Speaker 2: Softer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the collection arm it almost sank right into the astray. It was like trying to punch a ball pit. The surface just gave way.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing the video from the spacecraft's camera. Yes, it was terrifying to watch. Yeah, dust and pebbles flying everywhere. You realize, if that arm gets stuck, or if the thrusters fire at the wrong second, that's it. The whole mission is lost.
Speaker 3: Billions of dollars, decades of work just gone. But they pulled it off. They fired the thrusters, they backed away, and they had the goods. They sealed up the sample capsule.
Speaker 2: And then came the long trip home and finally, in twenty twenty three, that little capsule came blazing through our atmosphere and parachuted down into the Utah Desert.
Speaker 3: And that's another moment where you're holding your breath. I mean, if that parachute doesn't deploy correctly, if the capsule cracks open on impact.
Speaker 2: All that effort, all that distance, and you just end up with a very expensive crater in the sand exactly. But it worked. It stuck the landing, and inside, once they got it into a pristine, sterile clean room and carefully opened it up, they found dust, just a little cups worth of this very dark, very jagged dust.
Speaker 3: And that dust, specifically about a teaspoon of it is what we are here to talk about today, because this isn't just a story about an amazing engineering feat. Yeah, we were looking at a paper that was published literally yesterday, February ninth, twenty twenty six, in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. And it turns out that teaspoon of Dust contains a story that well, it completely rewrites what we thought we knew about the chemistry of life.
Speaker 2: It really does. It's one of those moments in science where you realize the recipe book you've been using might have been missing a critical chapter, or maybe we were just reading the wrong one entirely.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: So let's set the stage here. The big headline is that researchers from Penn State found amino acids in this venue dust. But and I want to be really clear on this, because it confused me at first finding amino acids in space. That's not the new part, is it.
Speaker 3: No, And you are absolutely right to flag that that's the key nuance. If the headline was just scientists find organics on asteroid, we'd say, ok, add it to the growing list.
Speaker 2: We've known for decades, really that space rocks can carry these kinds of molecules.
Speaker 3: So what's the big deal. Why is this particular discovery causing such a stir.
Speaker 2: It's because of the how. It's not that they found amino acids. It's the story those amino acids have to tell. It's about their history. It's like finding a person in New York City. That's not a story, but finding out they got there by walking from Antarctica, that's a story.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that. So we're looking at the molecule's journey. It's origin story we are, And for the last fifty years we had a pretty solid theory about that origin story. We thought the answer was always you know, warmth and water.
Speaker 2: The famous warm little pond that Darwin talked.
Speaker 3: About, the very same, the classic idea. But the samples from Benu they're telling us something completely different. They're saying the ingredients for life don't just form in cozy, warm ponds.
Speaker 2: They formed somewhere else.
Speaker 3: They can form in the deep freeze, in the pitch dark, in an environment that should be, by all accounts, completely hostile to creating these delicate molecules.
Speaker 2: We're talking about, what a radioactive environment.
Speaker 3: We're talking about frozen eyes being blasted by gamma rays, the harsh, unforgiving vacuum of the outer Solar system.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's well, it sounds more like the origin story for comic book Supervillain, not the origin story for life on Earth.
Speaker 3: And that's precisely why this is a revelation. The lead author, Alison Bozinski says, it flips the script on where we should be looking for life's ingredients and maybe even life itself.
Speaker 2: So our mission today for this deep dive seems pretty clear. We're going to unpack this brand new study. We're going to look at the incredible technology this team, led by Alison Bozinski and Elflee Macintosh used to basically read the atomic history of these molecules, and we're going to try to understand why a freezing radioactive void might actually be a better kitchen for creating life's building blocks than a warm bath.
Speaker 3: And beyond that, we have to talk about what this means for the rest of the universe, because if you don't need a special Goldilocks planet with warm oceans to make amino acids, if you can just make them in the cold darkness of space.
Speaker 2: Then the universe might be a lot more seeded with potential than we ever thought.
Speaker 3: Exactly the ingredients for the recipe it could be everywhere.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love this let's start with the sample itself, the Messenger from the Dawn of Time? Why this rock? Why Benu? What made NASA spend over a billion dollars to go to this specific pile of rubble.
Speaker 3: To really appreciate the science, you have to appreciate the sample. And as you mentioned, this material from Osiris Rex is special for one big reason. The word is pristine.
Speaker 2: Pristine meaning untouched.
Speaker 3: Completely untouched. See, most of the time when we study space rocks, we're studying meteorites, and meteorites are well, they're compromised, they've been through the Ringer, right.
Speaker 2: They didn't have a nice, gentle parachute landing in Utah, not at all.
Speaker 3: Think about the journey of a typical meteorite. It spends maybe millions, even billions of years floating through space, getting bombarded by radiation. Then it hits Earth's atmosphere at what thirty thousand miles an hour.
Speaker 2: It's a fireball. It literally burns up.
Speaker 3: It burns at thousands of degrees, the outer layers or vaporized. It often breaks apart. It's a profoundly traumatic entry. And then if a piece survives, it lands maybe in the Antarctic ice. If we're lucky, or maybe it lands in a field in Iowa.
Speaker 2: Or jungle or the ocean.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it just sits there. It gets rained on. Microbes and bacteria from Earth's soil start to crawl all over it. It gets buried in mud. Humans eventually find it and touch it with their oily, greasy fingers.
Speaker 2: So it's contaminated from the second it enters our world. It's being altered.
Speaker 3: It is heavily, heavily contaminated. From a chemical analysis standpoint, It's like trying to read an ancient scroll that's been dropped in a puddle, then dried by a fire, and then scribbled on by a toddler. You can still make out some of the original text, but you're never one hundred percent sure what's original and what's just dirt from the journey.
Speaker 2: But the Benu sample is different.
Speaker 3: The Benu sample is a completely different ballgame. It was a grab and go mission. We flew to the source, We used a sterile robotic arm to grab the dust. We sealed it in a hermetically sealed capsule right then and there in space, and we brought it home.
Speaker 2: It never touched Earth's atmosphere. It never saw rain. It never encountered a single Earth bacterium.
Speaker 3: Until the moment it was opened in that NASA clean room. That dust was exactly as it had been for four point six billion years, floating out there in the void.
Speaker 2: So what this study is looking at is the real deal. This is unfiltered history.
Speaker 3: It is the closest thing we have to a perfect time capsule from the birth of our solar system, back before Earth even had oceans, before the first cell ever divided. This is a snapshot of the raw material that built everything.
Speaker 2: And what's just staggering to me is the amount of material they're working with. You said a teaspoon. The breakthrough came from a sample no bigger than a teaspoon of dust.
Speaker 3: It really is a testament to the lane level of technology we have now. The team at Penn State, the lead researchers Alison Basinski and Offley Macintosh, along with Christopher House, Catherine Freeman, and Mila Mattney, they weren't just putting this dust under a normal microscope. They were using instruments that tear molecules apart adam by adam and weigh them.
Speaker 2: Zuski had a quote in the press release about this, didn't she something like without these advances in technology.
Speaker 3: She said, we would never have made this discovery. And she's absolutely right, because they were looking for what she called really low abundances. These aren't huge, visible chunks of organic stuff. These are trace amounts parts per billion locked inside the mineral structure of the dust. You need instruments with incredible sensitivity to even see them, let alone analyze their history.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get into what they actually found. We keep using the term amino acids, and I feel like most of us have heard that term, maybe on a nutritional labels or in a biology class. But let's really define it for our context here. What exactly are we looking at.
Speaker 3: The best analogy, and it's one we use a lot in science communication is lego bricks.
Speaker 2: Legos. I can do legos. Everyone gets legos.
Speaker 3: Imagine you have a giant bin of mixed lego bricks. An individual brick, say a single red two by four piece, is just a piece of plastic. It doesn't do much on its own, but if you start snapping them together in a specific sequence, you can build anything. A house, a spaceship, a working model of a car engine. The complexity emerges from how you connect the simple pieces.
Speaker 2: So the power isn't in the brick, it's in the structure you build with it.
Speaker 3: Precisely, in the world of biology, amino acids are those lego bricks. You snap them together in long chains to build proteins, and proteins proteins are the machines that run the city of life. They do all the work, They do everything. They form the physical structure of your cells, like the steel beams and a skyscraper. They act as enzymes to catalyze chemical reactions like digesting your food. They carry oxygen in your blood. They fight off diseases as antibodies. Without protein, you can't replicate DNA, you can't have a metabolism. There is no life as we know it without them.
Speaker 2: So finding these fundamental lego bricks on an asteroid is a huge deal because it suggests the raw materials for life weren't invented here on Earth. Yeah, we didn't have to manufacture the plastic for the bricks ourselves. They were delivered to us pre made in the box.
Speaker 3: That is a perfect way to phrase it. And in this particular study from Penn State, they were focused on one specific very important amino acid glycine.
Speaker 2: Glycine, Why that one is it special?
Speaker 3: It's special because it's the simplest. If we're sticking with the Lego analogy, glycine is the most basic brick. It's the little two by two square. It's the smallest possible amino acid, just a tiny two carbon molecule. But because it's so simple and fundamental, it's found everywhere in biology.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they found glycine in the binu dust. But as we established earlier, we found glycine in space before we have Yes, So this is where we get to the script slip. You mentioned Lit's dig into the old theory before this paper dropped yesterday. If I were to ask you, how does glycine form in space? What would the textbook answer have been?
Speaker 3: The textbook answer for about half a century would have been a process called Strucker synthesis.
Speaker 2: Treker synthesis sounds like a villain's evil plan in a spy movie. We must initiate Operation Strecker.
Speaker 3: It does have that ring to it, doesn't it. But it's actually some pretty classic old school chemistry. It's named after Adolph Strecker, who figured this out all the way back in the eighteen fifties.
Speaker 2: The eighteen fifties, So this is really foundational chemistry.
Speaker 3: Very foundational, And for Streker synthesis, you need a few key ingredients. First, you need some kind of aldehyde or ketne. You can just think of that as your basic carbon containing molecule. Then you need ammonia. That's your source of nitrogen. And you need hydrogen cyanide.
Speaker 2: Hydrogen cyanide. Wait a second, isn't that Isn't that a lethal poison to us?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's incredibly toxic, But in the world of prebiotic chemistry, it's an essential ingredient. It's a very simple molecule containing carbon and nitrogen, and it's very very reactive.
Speaker 2: It's just so ironic that a key ingredient for life is something that's so deadly to life.
Speaker 3: Chemistry is full of these little ironies. But here's the crucial part of the recipe. If you just take those three ingredients, the aldehyde, the ammonia, the cyanide, and you put them in a jar and shake them up as gases, basically nothing happens. They just bounce off each other. They need a catalyst, a match.
Speaker 2: Maker, if you will, and the match maker is water.
Speaker 3: Liquid water. Absolutely, water acts as a solvent. It allows these molecules to dissolve, to move around freely, to exchange protons, and to actually interact and react with each other. But you need one more thing. You need energy. You need heat. Well, the heat, because molecules are fundamentally lazy, they're stable in the current forms. To get them to break their existing bonds and form new, more complex ones, to get them to rearrange themselves into an amino acid, you need to give them an energetic shove. Heat provides that shove. It's kinetic energy. It makes the molecules vibrate and smash into each other with enough force to trigger the reaction.
Speaker 2: So the warm little pond concept isn't just a nice poetic image. It's a literal chemical requirement. You need a liquid medium for the ingredients to mix, and you need warmth to make the reaction go precisely.
Speaker 3: So, for fifty years, whenever we found amino acids and meteorites, the assumption was always Okay, this rock must have, at some point in its history been part of a larger parent body that had liquid water and some source of internal heat.
Speaker 2: We just assumed it was cooked in some kind of cosmic crock pot, maybe inside a big asteroid with hydrothermal vents, or some surface ocean warmed by radioactive decay.
Speaker 3: Exactly. We were, in a way projecting our own planet story onto the rest of the Solar System. We see life thriving in water here, so we assumed life's ingredients must also need water there.
Speaker 2: But Benu is here to tell us that's not the only way.
Speaker 3: Benu is telling us something radically different. And this is where the real detective work gets incredibly cool. This is where we have to talk about isotopes.
Speaker 2: Lisotopes. Okay, I remember the term from high school chemistry, but let's do a quick refresher. How does weighing an atom tell you anything about its past.
Speaker 3: Think of atoms of a particular element like carbon, as all being part of the same family. They all have six protons. That's what makes them carbon. But some family members might weigh a little more than others. They might have an extra neutron or two in their nucleus.
Speaker 2: So it's the same element chemically, it just has a bit more mass. It's the chubby cousin of the family.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect analogy. It's a chubby atom had a little extra baggage. It's still carbon. It behaves light carbon. It forms bonds like carbon, but it's heavier. We call these heavier versions isotopes. Carbon twelve is the common one. Carbon thirteen is the heavier one. Now Here is the magic trick of this whole science. The ratio of the heavy atoms to the light atoms in a molecule acts like a passport stamp. It tells you where that molecule was born.
Speaker 2: Wait, how why would the environment affect how many chubby atoms get included in the molecule.
Speaker 3: It comes down to a principle called the kinetic isotope effect.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that sounds complicated, but break it down for us.
Speaker 3: It's actually just about that molecular laziness we talked about again. It turns out that chemical bonds involving the heavier isotope carbon thirteen are just a tiny bit stronger and more stable. They take a little more energy to break. So if you have a chemical reaction happening in that warm pond, a reaction that requires breaking bonds, it's slightly easier. It takes less energy to break the bond with the lighter carbon twelve atom, so.
Speaker 2: Nature takes the path of least resistance. The reaction prefers the lighter easier to work with atoms. You got it.
Speaker 3: So, generally speaking, chemical reactions driven by heat and happening in water will end up with a product that is depleted in the heavy isotope. They discriminate against the heavy stuff.
Speaker 2: So if I analyze the molecule made in a warm environment, it's isotopic fingerprint should show it's full of the light stuff. Relatively speaking, yes, it.
Speaker 3: Will have a very specific, predictable ratio of light versus heavy atoms. But here's the amazing part. At extremely cold temperatures we're talking deep space cold hundreds of degrees below zero, the rules of chemistry change. When you're not using heat to drive reactions, but you're using high energy radiation instead, that discrimination goes away.
Speaker 2: Radiation doesn't care if an atom is chevy or not.
Speaker 3: Radiation is like a sledgehammer. Heat is like a gentle push. The sledgehammer doesn't care if the one bond is slightly stronger than another. It just smashes everything. So reactions that are driven by radiation and frozen ice tend to incorporate the heavy and light isotopes in a different, more random seeming ratio. They don't show the same preference for the light stuff.
Speaker 2: I think I'm getting it. So the Penn State team, kachen Ski, Macintosh and the others, they take the glycine from the Beni sample. They put it in their super sensitive machine.
Speaker 3: A set of custom instruments, a mass spectrometer.
Speaker 2: And they literally just count the number of heavy carbon atoms versus light carbon atoms than nitrogen atoms too.
Speaker 3: That's essentially it. They measure that ratio with incredible precision, and the ratio they found it sacreamed coald. It screamed ice.
Speaker 2: It didn't look like the ratio from the Streker synthesis, the warm pond dress.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even in the same ballpark. The isotopic signature was completely inconsistent with formation in liquid water, but it perfectly matched the signature you'd expect from formation in solid frozen ice. Ice frozen solid, and not just ice sitting there peacefully, but ice being actively zapped by high energy cosmic rays and gamma rays.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me see if I can picture this. The ingredients we talked about before, the ammonia, the cyani the simple carbon molecules. They're not dissolved in water. They're just trapped frozen solid inside.
Speaker 3: A block of ice exactly. They are suspended in the ice matrix like fruit in a jello mole and.
Speaker 2: Then over millions of years, radiation from space comes along and just zaps them, and that forces them to become amino acids.
Speaker 3: That's the idea. The process is called radiolysis. The high energy radiation particle smashes into a water molecule in the ice, shattering it and creating these incredibly reactive fragments called radicals. These radicals are like like chemical grenades. They are desperate to react with anything nearby, so they attack the frozen cyanide, they attack the ammonia, and they force them to combine in new ways.
Speaker 2: So the radiation is providing the energy that the heat would have provided in the warm pond.
Speaker 3: Precisely, but it's doing it without ever melting the ice. It's a cold forging process, and it's a process that happens in what the paper calls the outer reaches of the early Solar System.
Speaker 2: The outer reaches, so we're talking way out there beyond Mars, beyond the asteroid belt, maybe upast Jupiter, way out.
Speaker 3: In the cold, dark vacuum, in a region we typically think of as a chemical wasteland, a place we considered hostile to the formation of complex organic molecules.
Speaker 2: This is that script flip that Bazinski mentioned.
Speaker 3: It is her direct quote was our results flip, the script on how we have typically thought amino acids formed.
Speaker 2: It's just it's incredible. It suggests that the potential for life is so much more rugged and persistent than we gave it credit for. It doesn't need to wait around for a perfect little planet with a nice ocean to get started. The chemistry can begin in the harshest parts of the void.
Speaker 3: That's the profound implication. It means these fundamental molecules aren't rare flukes restricted to these little goldilock zones where the temperature is just right for liquid water. Bazinski put it perfectly, It now looks like there are many conditions where these building blocks of life can form.
Speaker 2: It's all about diversity.
Speaker 3: Diversity in the pathways to life. Can you make glycine in a warm watery asteroid, Yes, absolutely, that method works, But this shows you can also make it in a radioactive ice cube floating in the dark.
Speaker 2: That just feels huge. It makes the universe feel less like this vast empty place where life is a one and a trillion miracle, and more like a giant factory that's constantly in different departments churning out the necessary parts for life, no matter the local conditions.
Speaker 3: A factory is a fantastic analogy. And this brings us to a really fascinating comparison. The study made really nailed down their case. They didn't just look at Benu by itself. They put it head to head with the undisputed celebrity of the metiorrite world.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, you're talking about the Murchison metiaorite, the heavyweight champion.
Speaker 3: The one and only Murchison. It fell in a shower over the town of Murchison, Australia, back in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty nine, what a year for space. We go to the Moon and a piece of the early Solar System comes to us.
Speaker 3: A huge year, and Murchison is this carbon rich meteorite that became the absolute gold standard for astrobiology for fifty years. If you were a scientist in the eighties nineties, even the two thousands, and you wanted to study amino acids from space. You begged, borrowed, and stole for a tiny crumb of Murchison.
Speaker 2: And what did Murchison's story tell us?
Speaker 3: Well, for all those decades, Murchison consistently confirmed the old theory. When scientists analyzed the isotopes of the amino acids inside Murchison, the fingerprint was clear. It said I was made in warm liquid water.
Speaker 2: So Murchison fits the classic warm pond theory to a t perfectly.
Speaker 3: The evidence from murch strongly suggests its parent body, the larger asteroid it broke off from, was a place that had liquid water flowing and relatively mild temperatures, conditions that ironically look a lot like what we think early Earth was like.
Speaker 2: So for half a century we built our entire model of prebiotic chemistry in the Solar System based on Murchison. We pictured these big, warm, wet asteroids breaking apart and delivering their life giving cargo to the early planets.
Speaker 3: That was the dominant model. But now Benu walks into the room.
Speaker 2: And Benu is the rebel, the nonconformist.
Speaker 3: Benu stands up and says, hey, I've got amino acids too, loads of them. But I've never been warm a day in my four point six billion year life. I've been floating in the deep freeze.
Speaker 2: The steady shows Binez amino acids have a much different isotopic pattern than Murchison's.
Speaker 3: So you have two ancient rocks, both from our solar system, both the same age. One says I was cooked in water and the other says I was forged in ice and radiation. And Ofully Macintosh, the other lead author on the paper, spelled out exactly what this means. She said, it suggests that the parent bodies of Benu and Murchison originated in chemically distinct regions of the Solar system.
Speaker 2: Chemically distinct regions, not all from the same place.
Speaker 3: Right. Think of the early Solar system, that big disk of gas and dust around the young Sun. Not as a well mixed soup, but as a giant industrial kitchen with different.
Speaker 2: Stations, the solar kitchen.
Speaker 3: I like that exactly. So maybe closer to the Sun, or perhaps in the main asteroid belt, you have the hot station, things are simmering. You have larger asteroids big enough to have their cores heated by radioactive elements melting their internal ice into liquid water. That's the Murchison kitchen. They're making a slow cooked stew.
Speaker 2: Okay. And then you go way way out past the frost line where it's potentially col.
Speaker 3: You go out to the benicitchen. It's dark, it's hundreds of degrees below zero. All you have are chunks of ice and dust floating in the void, and your only energy source is this constant rain of high energy cosmic rays from deep space.
Speaker 2: And the most incredible part is that the Benu kitchen is still cooking up the same stuff. It's just using a I don't know, a nuclear microwave instead of a stove top, and.
Speaker 3: Nuclear microwave is a pretty good way to think about it. But the final dish comes out the same. They both serve up glycine and other amino acids.
Speaker 2: That is the part that I just can't wrap my head around. You have two completely different environments, two fundamentally different energy sources heat versus radiation, and they both converge on producing the exact same fundamental biological building blocks.
Speaker 3: It suggests it wasn't a fluke, it was convergent chemistry. It seems that given the basic starting ingredients of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and hydrogen. The universe is almost determined to create complexity. It will find a way hot and wet or cold and radioactive. It gets the job done.
Speaker 2: It really hammers home that idea that the early solar system wasn't just making the ingredients for life in one special place. It was trying to make them everywhere, in every way it could.
Speaker 3: It was now speaking of complexity. There was another part of the study that I found completely and utterly baffling. And reading the paper, you get the sense the researchers were just as baffled.
Speaker 2: Oh, this must be the mystery of the mirror.
Speaker 3: The mystery of the mirror. It sounds like a title for an old detective novel.
Speaker 2: It really does. So what is this all about.
Speaker 3: It has to do with a property of molecules called chirality. Chirality which is also known more simply as handedness.
Speaker 2: Like being left handed or right handed.
Speaker 3: Exactly like that, hold up your hands in front of you.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're up.
Speaker 3: Your left hand and your right hand are perfect mirror images of each other. Right they have the same components four fingers, one thumb, a palm, but they are not identical. You can't lay your left hand perfectly on top of your right right, and a.
Speaker 2: Left handed glove doesn't fit on my right hand. They're non supermposable mirror images exactly.
Speaker 3: Many molecules, including amino acids, are the same way. They come in two forms, a left handed version and a right hand hand version.
Speaker 2: Okay, and normally these two versions are chemically identical.
Speaker 3: Aren't they in a test tube? Yes, they have the same mass, the same boiling point, the same freezing point. And this is the critical part. If you make them through a non biological chemical process, like what's happening on an asteroid, you should always get a perfect fifty to fifty mix of left and right, and isotopically, those left and right handed versions should be identical.
Speaker 2: Because they were made in the same pot at the same time.
Speaker 3: Right, if you bake a batch of cookies, the left half of a cookie and the right half of that same cookie should be made of the exact same dough.
Speaker 2: That makes perfect sense, but.
Speaker 3: Benu, of course, did not follow the rules.
Speaker 2: Benu seems to enjoy breaking rules.
Speaker 3: It does. The research team looked at a different amino acid, this time one called glutemic acid. It's a bit more complex than glycine. And they measured the nitrogen isotopes, the weight of the nitrogen atoms in the left handed version versus the right handed version, and what do they find. They found a huge difference. They had, and I'm quoting the paper, drastically different nitrogen values.
Speaker 2: Wait, what how is that even possible? If they are mirror images formed in the same rock from the same pool of ingredients. How can one be made of different stuff than the other?
Speaker 3: That is the million dollar question. I mean, it's the ten million dollar question. There is no simple, obvious reason why the left hand should be isotopically heavier than the right hand. It shouldn't be.
Speaker 2: So what's the explanation? Is there a working theory?
Speaker 3: Honestly, we don't know.
Speaker 2: Wow, the expert is stumped.
Speaker 3: I am, and so are the people who wrote the paper. Basinsky was refreshingly honest about it. In the university's press release. She basically said, we have more questions now than answers.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I respect that it's rare for a major scientific paper to just throw its hands up and say this part is really weird, and we have no idea.
Speaker 3: Why it is, and it's what makes science so exciting. It means we've just stumbled upon a new piece of the puzzle we didn't even know existed, some process we don't understand yet. Why would the mirror image have a different chemical heritage? Did they form in slightly different places on the asteroid and then get mixed together. Did some weird radiation process preferentially destroy one type of nitrogen isotope and one handedness but not the other. We just don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a genuine scientific cliffhanger.
Speaker 3: It's the absolute frontier. We thought we had a pretty good handle on chirality, but Ben was just sitting there saying, nope, look closer, you've missed something big.
Speaker 2: So let's just tally the score here. From one single teaspoon of space dust, we have a brand new recipe for making life's ingredients using ice and radiation. We have proof the early Solar system had multiple distinct kitchens all cooking up the same meal, and we have a baffling new mystery about mirror image molecules that don't match.
Speaker 3: That is a pretty good haul for one robotic space heist, It really is.
Speaker 2: But I want to zoom out now. As we always do. Why is this matter? Why should the person listening to this right now maybe second traffic or walking their dog. Why should they care about the isotopic ratios in dust from an asteroid millions of miles away.
Speaker 3: It matters because this is our origin story. It's everyone's origin story.
Speaker 2: Go on.
Speaker 3: There's a field of science called prebiotic chemistry. That's all the chemistry that had to happen before biology could take over, before the first cell. Glycine and the other amino acids are key signposts of that chemistry. Okay, what this study and others like it are confirming is that the building blocks of life were not unique to Earth. Our planet did not have to invent amino acids from scratch in its own oceans.
Speaker 2: We didn't have to diy the entire project from the ground up.
Speaker 3: No, the Solar System was a massive factory making these components in huge quantities on asteroids, on comets, and the cold and the heat, and then what happened in the early days of the Solar.
Speaker 2: System, the late heavy bombardment, everything was hitting everything.
Speaker 3: Else exactly the delivery system. Think about the Earli Earth four billion years ago. It was a violent chaotic place. We were getting pelted constantly by rocks and ice from space. We've long suspected that these impacts delivered water and organic material to our barren planet, but now we have a much richer picture. We know they were delivering a whole diverse menu of ingredients cooked up in all these different ways.
Speaker 2: It's like a cosmic meal kit delivery service for young planets.
Speaker 3: That's it Astrofresh for the Haitian eon.
Speaker 2: So Earth is getting showered with these rocks, and they're chock full of glycine and other amino acids made in both warm and cold environments.
Speaker 3: And because we now know these things can be made in ice and radiation, which are arguably the most common conditions in the entire universe, this has truly universal implications.
Speaker 2: Right because warm little ponds those might actually be rare. You need a planet of the right size, at the right distance from its star, with an atmosphere with liquid water. That's a long and specific shopping list.
Speaker 3: It is. A planet with a warm pond is a luxury item in the cosmos. But cold irradiated ice, that stuff is everywhere everywhere. It's the primary component of every common It's in the countless asteroids out in the Kuiper Belt, it's in the orc clouds surrounding our entire Solar system. It makes up the moons of Jupiter like Europa, and the moons of Saturn like Enceladus. They are all giant balls of ice getting blasted by radiation from their host planets.
Speaker 2: So if the recipe for making amino acids works in those conditions.
Speaker 3: Then the building blocks of life are in all likelihood, absolutely everywhere, not just here, not just in our Solar system, but in every Solar system, in the interstellar clouds between the stars, everywhere.
Speaker 2: That has a staggering thought. It reframes the question from how did life start here? To with the ingredients being universal, why wouldn't it start everywhere? It suggests life's potential is baked into the very physics and chemistry of the cosmos.
Speaker 3: Alison Bazinski summed it up perfectly. She said, their next step is to analyze more asteroid samples, and we want to know if they continue to look like Murchison and Venu, or maybe there is even more diversity in the conditions and pathways that can create the building blow of life.
Speaker 2: She wants to find more kitchens.
Speaker 3: She wants to find more recipes because every time we open a new rock, it seems to tell us that life, or at least it's precursors, is more resilient, more adaptable, and maybe more inevitable than we ever dared to imagine.
Speaker 2: More inevitable. I like the sound of that. It feels deeply optimistic.
Speaker 3: It's not just blind luck, it's chemistry, and the laws of chemistry are the same everywhere in the universe.
Speaker 2: So to bring it all home, we started this journey by picturing a robotic heist to grab a teaspoon of dust, a rock that hasn't changed in four point six billion years, and we end up realizing that this dust is a recipe book.
Speaker 3: A recipe book with multiple very different chapters, and we just learned to read the chapter on I don't know cold brew chemistry.
Speaker 2: We learned you don't need a warm pond to start making life legos. You can do it in a cosmic freezer with a side of gamma rays.
Speaker 3: And we learned our solar system wasn't a uniform place. It was a complex, varied chemical landscape, with different regions cooking up the same vital ingredy using totally different methods, and.
Speaker 2: On top of all that we learned, we still have a profound mystery on our hands about why mirror image molecules don't always seem to be made of the same stuff.
Speaker 3: It's job security for the next generation of scientists. If we knew all the answers, it would be a very boring universe.
Speaker 2: That's true, But I think the big takeaway for me, the thing that really sticks is this shift in perspective. Science is all about expanding the boundaries of what's possible, right, and we used to have a very narrow earth centric view of what was possible. Life needs liquid water, life needs moderate temperatures. Now we know the universe has, as the research put it, many conditions to create that starter pack for life.
Speaker 3: It doesn't just open the door to new possibilities, it kicks the door off its hinges.
Speaker 2: So here's a final thought. I want to leave you with something to chew on as you go about your day. We tend to think of deep space as empty, cold, dead, hostile, a black void where life struggles. But if this research is right, if that cold, dark, radioactive void is actually a NonStop factory for the very building blocks of life.
Speaker 3: Then the darkness isn't dead at all, It's pregnant with potential exactly.
Speaker 2: So does that mean life isn't some lucky, miraculous accident that happened on one special blue marble. Does it mean that life is actually a cosmic inevitability, That the universe is just saturated with these seeds, waiting for them to land in any halfway decent soil.
Speaker 3: If the seeds are everywhere, then the garden is just waiting to grow.
Speaker 2: Something to think about, the next time you look up at the night sky. It's not just empty space up there. It's a kitchen.
Speaker 3: It's potential.
Speaker 2: Thanks for diving deep with us today.
Speaker 3: It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: We'll see on the next one. Keep looking up stations, says Sets.