Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Shannon's out today, back tomorrow.
Speaker 3: She's getting the final work done, final dental, whatever something's going on.
Speaker 2: Rain obviously is going to be our big issue today.
Speaker 3: Evacuation warnings have been put up through most areas. Evacuation orders have been issued for the Sierra Madre area because of the expectation that we are going to see mud slides into brief flows as a result as these rains get stronger. Pacific Palisades, for example, is limited to residents only until two o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Any contractor with a pass still not allowed entry. Evacuation warnings issued for the Getty Villa area, portions of the Highlands Neighborhood, the northern section of ben Venette Bien Veneda Avenue, northern section of Temiskull Canyon Road, edge of Marinette Road, Oracle Place, the area around will Rogers State Park, including the Villawoods Drive and Villa Grove Drive. Brentwood has some evacuation warnings. Malibu has some evacuation warnings, all of them because of the burn areas that exist now because of the Palisades Fire and other fires in those areas in the last couple of years. This is one of the strongest storms that we have that we will see this winter, and potentially one of the strongest that we've seen in a couple of years. There are also some evacuation warnings in Orange County the Tribuco Hot Springs, Bell Long Canyon, Majesca Canyon areas because of the risk of Debrifo debris flows near the Airport fire burn scar. Those evacuation warnings started this morning and will stay in effect basically until they determine its safe. San Bernardino around Mount Baldy Village and Rightwood because of potential mudslides, and then Santa Barbara County as well, because of the Lake fire that burned through the mountains north of Los Alevos the county. It did issue an evacuation order for some areas in Santa Barbara County because of that.
Speaker 2: This is this is one of.
Speaker 3: Those dynamic things where we really won't know how bad it gets until it gets here, and the strongest part of this rainstorm isn't expected to hit La County until much later this afternoon, probably four or five hours from now, right about four o'clock is what they have said when they expect this window, about a five hour window of the strongest rain to be coming. So as it gets dark here in La County, that's when we're going to see some of the strongest rains. So that's all. That's all the local stuff. It's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 1: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar.
Speaker 4: And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing that lollipop here we got The real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits.
Speaker 5: So what.
Speaker 4: I'm not going anywhere, So that now you train the squat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 2: You know, Americans have always been going at president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 3: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Have the people voted for you were not swamp watch? They're all counter knowing well.
Speaker 3: The reciprocal tariffs have apparently been signed into effects. According to the latest reports out of the White House, the President has signed these into effect and is expected to make some sort of an announcement over the course of the next few minutes. It was supposed to happen about an hour ago, but it hasn't. When the President starts speaking, we'll bring it to you. His cabinet's getting filled out.
Speaker 2: On this vote.
Speaker 5: The a's are fifty two, the naser forty eight. The confirmation is confirmed.
Speaker 3: Senator Senator sorry, Robert F. Kennedy Junior was confirmed by senators today. He was going to now oversee Health and Human Services. The department has a one point seven trillion dollar budget, eighty thousand employees. I mean, at least it does now until Elon Musk gets a hold of it. Secretary of Agriculture was also confirmed today, Brooke Rollins on account of seventy two to twenty eight. One of the more lopsided wins for the Trump cabinet. I think the most lopsided would have been Marco Rubio as Secretary of State.
Speaker 2: Didn't have anybody vote against him.
Speaker 3: The Senate Judiciary Committee has also voted along party lines to advance the nomination of Cash Bettel for FBI director. Republicans pushed past some of the Democratic concerns that Bateel was simply going to be a loyalist Trump and target some of the perceived adversaries. Linda McMahon, who has been chosen to be the Education Secretary, told her confirmation hearing senators that she is prepared to enact the education vision of President Trump if she's confirmed, but she did not, at least in the opening statement, she did not mention the most controversial element of what his agenda is, which is that she's supposed to work herself out of a job. She is supposed to eventually lead to eliminate the Department of Education. So again, Linda McMahon, at least starting her confirmation hearing today, one of the issues that's been going on with these at least the I don't know, could I say the tumultuous three Tulsey Gabbard as Director of National Intelligence, RFK Junior as Secretary of Health and Human Services, and Cash Bettel as FBI Director. One of the common no votes for all of those has been Mitch McConnell. Mitch McConnell, Senator from Kentucky, been there since Jesus walked the earth, has is now eighty two years old, and he has decided that on his way out. I mean, he's old, he's going to retire. He's already announced that he stepped back from party leadership in the Senate Chamber and turned it over to John Thune so he could be the majority leader. He has basically said, I am unshackled by the burden of leadership. I don't have to pass any bills. I don't have to be the referee. I can spend my time pulling people back to what he thinks. What Mitch McConnell thinks is the Republican Party. Leon Caldwell actually wrote an article about Mitch McConnell titled I'm that Mitch, and describes how the double Birds are helping Mitch McConnell sort of ride off into the sunset double birds towards the White House and specifically Donald Trump. The specific wording I thought was pretty clever. She talked about. Now, this was before Mitch McConnell voted against Tulsea Gabbard as DNI and against RFK Junior as a Secretary of HHS, and he did both. He voted no on both of those, and it's likely that he'll vote no on Cash Bettel coming up.
Speaker 2: But she wrote this enigma exemplify. Sorry.
Speaker 3: This enigma amplifies growing questions about how McConnell plans to spend his hard earn out of FS to give Twilight Era once the relentless part is in willing to vote his platform to ensuring that the United States doesn't decimate Western alliances and retreat from the world, pitting himself against his president and a growing number of colleagues in his conference, and could it work. Interesting thing about the RFK confirmation now that we know is RFK said at one point that the polio vaccine likely killed more people than it saved. Mitch McConnell takes that personally because Mitch McConnell is a polio survivor, and he said that that perspective is dangerous. Mitch McConnell actually still suffers from the impact of polio. It's affected the way he walks, it's affected his balance. Let me give you an impression, just an example of that. Just this week, this is not old news. This week Mitch McConnell fell walking down the steps off the Senate floor and then literally minutes later he fell again and his plate of Hamburger, hot dog, French fries and ketchup fell and hit him on the head on his way down. There are doctors in the Senate. John Barrasso's one of them. He walked over. Mitch McConnell, refused any medical attention. He got up, he walked to his table, He sat down and acted as if nothing had happened. He's been pushed around in his wheelchair. He has been helped literally carried from his wheelchair to his car at times. He is not going to resign, he says, but he is also not going to run for reelection. And like I said, flipping the double birds on his way out a wellness segment. When we come back, you consider yourself a serious runner. Maybe, I mean, that's a pretty small audience. But if you like to run, you like to exercise. Which is better running faster or running longer?
Speaker 2: That's next. Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Big stories that were following the rain. Biggest storm coming in in probably at least year later this afternoon is when it's going to get even stronger. A car attack in Munich has injured at least twenty eight people, including kids. German anti terrorism officials said that an asylum seeker from Afghanistan is the one who was blamed for it. He's been arrested. This attack took place just a few blocks away from the site of the Munich Security Conference, which is going to start tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Jadie Vance is there.
Speaker 3: Ukrainian President Vledimer z Alensky, Secretary of State Marko Rubio, several NATO allies are insisting that Ukraine and Europe must not be cut out of any peace negotiations that take place. Trump signaled that he's going to hold talk soon with President Putin. The uk Defense secretary said the Ukraine's voice must be heard at the heart of any talks. Estonians Defense minister said that Europe has driven sanctions against Russia and will have to foot the bill for reconstruction. Is heavily invested in the Ukraine defense. It's time for us to give away one thousand bucks.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide any word on our website Grand that's Grand g R A n D. Edit it now at KFI AM six forty dot com. Slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys.
Speaker 2: If you're hurting an accident.
Speaker 1: Winning is everything called the winning Attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: That keyword grand goes on the website. Make sure you keep an eye on your email, since that's how we let you know that you want a thousand bucks. An hour from now, we got another chance for you to win. But in the meantime, it's time for us to check in on your wellness.
Speaker 2: I feel terrible. He spends most of his day at the office.
Speaker 5: City tendation include a variety of activities.
Speaker 2: I'm preferably some exercise late in the afternoon. I never exercised a day of my life. You just got to sit here and wait for God.
Speaker 4: Every morning I smoke a cigarette, and for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich, and I usually drink my dinner.
Speaker 1: It's time for Gary and Shannon's periodic Guide for Wellness and Personal and pro for your health.
Speaker 3: Listen, none of us moves around enough, probably, but we like the idea of it. If you consider yourself a pretty serious runner, you got one of two camps right. You're either a long distance runner, I think four or five miles at a clip and you keep it nice and easy. You're talking ten twelve minute miles, I mean twelve minutes almost walking. But listen, who's to judge. Or you're the speed person. You like to do sprints, or you like to do a mile, maybe a mile and a half, but you're going for time.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: You could be a total running new bee and have no idea which one is going to be better besides training, The simple answer is do both. You need both for a well rounded sort of exercise regimen. Running faster has benefits. Running longer has benefits like for example, faster runners more fat and carbs, they use more muscle fibers, they burn calories efficient more efficiently. But if fast running does require more recovery time and probably not suitable for most people every single day, the benefit for the distance runners you have improved endurance, you have a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, and since you don't need necessarily a break for recovery, you could probably distance run every single day that you're there. So, but is there a difference? Is there a definitive answer as to which one is better? Running only long distance and easy is probably not the greatest option. Because it doesn't burn the carbs the way you think you're doing it. When you go slower, your energy demands are lower. Your body's going to rely predominantly on fat to drive that exercise. We don't really use carbs for the easy runs because we don't need the energy that quickly. You use carbs when you go at the harder intensities. Getting energy from carbohydrates a quicker process. So if you're going to be more intense, the energy demands are going to spike up a little bit and your body's going to start using fat and carbs.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: A lot of this guidance comes from Danny Mackie. He is a track club coach with Brooks master's degree in exercise physiology and biomechanics. Going at an easy pace uses fewer muscle fibers as well, and that engages less of your nervous system. It's about sixty percent of your nervous system versus eighty percent during those higher intensity training methods. Plus pushing yourself to go faster does require acceleration. That can put a lot of stress on your muscles, the good kind, the good kind of stress on your muscles, and that encourages your body to adapt. It encourages your body to make improvements incrementally, but still it's obviously improvement. And since it's more efficient, you're going to burn more calories per mile when you're going faster, even if it means you're running for a shorter amount of time. That can lead to weight loss. But burning calories and weight loss not always the most important factors in which workout you choose, so sticking to the short, explosive runs isn't the best idea either, because listen, if you're running five or six days a week, you need long, slow runs to let the body recover. You've got to have downtime in all of that. Our body is not built with switches. It's not on or off. If you're going hard, you're using everything, but the consequence is that you have to recover from that or you're going to get hurt. Muscular endurance, the ability for the body to work for an extended amount of time is important. And when you're doing that work for a long period of time running, for example, you're training your body to turn the oxygen into the energy more efficiently. But during the sustained run, you're going to be building aerobic endurance, and the key benefit of improving muscular endurance is that fatigue won't set in as fast as it would and you'll be able to withstand more energy. Y sorry, you'll be able to withstand more when you use less energy, so you'll be able to go longer without working up a sweat. The best option you want a daily dose. You want to do this every single day. Running longer is probably fine if you've got plenty of rest days that you can build in, run faster, and just the Perhaps the best option is a combination of the both of them. Run quick enough, fast enough to get that muscular endurance, and then take a couple of slow days where you're doing the longer, slower runs and building your cardio through that tech talk. When we come back, Mark Saltzman's going to join us, how AI can help you plan the perfect last minute? Oh my gosh, that's twelve hours away Valentine's Day?
Speaker 2: Did you get your wife something special? Yes?
Speaker 1: You did? Yes?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait a minute, did you sounded surprised?
Speaker 6: Because Shannon, not your Shannon, but the other Shannon, you know, she pooh pooh, who's getting gifts on Valentine's Day?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not like a two thousand dollars tennis bracelet or something crazy like that. Oh okay, And in fact, we're old enough now that we've got what we need. It's now a matter of trying to find the right event or activity for us to do.
Speaker 2: That's going to be fun. Oh activity, don't give it away.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Just checking some of the radar images, and our heaviest rain is expected sometime later on this afternoon. I say, the biggest window for La County, specifically, the strongest rain is coming in sometime between say four o'clock and nine o'clock Orange County, Inland Empire, San Diego County, it's going to be shift that just back a couple of hours, probably closer to say eight o'clock nine o'clock before the heaviest rains go into those areas. But for La County, they said, just as you're about ready to drive home from work tonight is when things are going to get pretty sticky. You ever wondered about the best time to take a nap, like the best time of day to take a nap. In the next segment, I'll tell you about that exactly a very specific time, and we're approaching it.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's time for tech talk.
Speaker 5: The machines are getting smarter.
Speaker 1: This is tech Talk, brought to you by Skynet.
Speaker 2: Well, you're fresh out of lock.
Speaker 3: If you are, I have not yet purchased something, or bought a thing, or written a poem or whatever.
Speaker 2: However people celebrate Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Mark Saltzman, our tech guru, is joining us to talk about how the world of technology may be able to help our love life.
Speaker 5: I'm your love guru today, not your tech guru.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I want to say that out loud, but that's fine.
Speaker 2: Mark. How's it going?
Speaker 6: Not bad things? I guess Shannon is off again today. Let me guess the dentist. Yes, of fact, it is sensing a theme here.
Speaker 3: She got a punch card. I think the next one is free, so good good.
Speaker 6: That'll help out at the when she opens up her credit card bills.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's Thursday, so we like to talk tech and I figured, with tomorrow being Valentine's Day, to change hats from.
Speaker 5: Tech guru to love guru or the two can be the same.
Speaker 6: I can wear both hats because yes, you can leverage AI to hop out or if you're having a Gallantines Date date tonight with your girlfriends, you know, instead of Valentine's Day, that's a becoming a bigger trend. I've got some ideas. Yeah, there's actually there was a great article. I just want to tip my hat both of them to cnet dot com. They published an article about some great ways that AI can help you plan a great Valentine's Day. So the easy sort of the low hanging fruit is that you can use these free AI image generation tools to print out a custom card. So you don't want to give it on flimsy paper. You want good stock. But you can create a beautiful royalty free image and the words and even ask the AI to help you with words. And you know, if the cards that you're looking at at your wherever, your CVS, your your local store are lame because all the good ones are taken, you can print out your own customized, personalized Valentine's Day card.
Speaker 5: So you can definitely take advantage of some of those tools. But if you are.
Speaker 6: Looking to have a good date night, there are a couple of dedicated AI platforms. One is called four Lovebirds dot Com. That's the number four where it's basically an AI date idea generator, so it doesn't have to be for for Valentine's Day, but you type in where you are and it'll give you some suggestions. So using La as an example, it gave me everything from a sunset picnic at Griffith Observatory and it gives you a description of what's going on there, a dinner at a rooftop restaurant, so you can have a nice panoramic view of the La skyline if the rain doesn't impede your view as it might tonight. Yeah, strolling along Santa monicap here of course, attend a live jazz performance. So you can even specify your budget with some of these, like like Chat, GPT or Google Gemini. You can say for under one hundred dollars or whatever, right and I'll give you some ideas. Another one, Gary is called the Dateidea dot Com. Same idea, but you don't have to say where you are. You can if you want. There are a couple of things you can click like third date or meal based or indoor date, which might be ideal for the rain, and then it basically gives you a bunch of ideas and links as well. So there are these free tools that you can leverage and get very specific. You can say, between this hour and this hour, I'd like to take my partner on a date or within this budget or in this area, and it'll it'll do a great job for you. So planning your Valentine's Day, printing out a custom personalized card, these are all great ways. And of course, as you've hinted that off the top, even having it write a poem for you, Feed it some information like where you met, how long you've been together, what you know, maybe your Valentine's dates, favorite hobbies are, and it'll print out probably a very cheesy poem, but it'll do it for you.
Speaker 2: All right. You're a tech guy.
Speaker 3: How would you react if you knew that missus Mark Saltzman used AI to write the card expressing her heartfelt love for the partner of her life.
Speaker 5: That's a good question.
Speaker 6: I don't think I'd be too offended because there's still effort needed to help you write it. I mean, unless you're gifted and you know how to write a go a good poem. I don't know, it could and if it's really cheesy, it could actually be charming. But yeah, I'm looking at the glass half full here to our listeners too, are thinking am I going to get in more trouble by using AI? Well you can even say to the AI, don't make it sound like AI, like, don't forget like I think we talked about this the other day. If you're asking for your AI to explain something to you, you can say, explain it to me like a a ten year old, or explain it to me that doesn't sound so much like AI, and it'll actually do a better job.
Speaker 5: So if you don't want to be.
Speaker 6: Honest with your significant other, then yes, you can try to pass it off as if it's yours or just omit the fact that you leverage AI. But hey, your your partner may have been doing the same to you and you didn't realize it. I mean, if you're getting a custom card that says your name and some other personalized information of personalized image, then obviously you use AI.
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 2: You know, why not just lean into it a little bit?
Speaker 5: Right there?
Speaker 2: You go, car like I'm a sixth grader.
Speaker 6: But if you use deep seek from China. Then now the CCP knows every you and.
Speaker 5: Your partner, so just be aware about that.
Speaker 3: Just another information dump that they've got there, go exactly like they need more.
Speaker 2: Well, enjoy your time your wife for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to you, Thank you, you bet. Maybe Shannon will be back next week. Mark Saltzman follow Mark on X Marc Underscore Saltsman, we come back. There has been a dating in romance glot and we've talked about it many times, specifically with young men in the world. Are they struggling? Are we setting them up correctly to learn how to how to date?
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 3: President Trump rolled out his plan to increase tariffs to match the tax rates that other countries charge on imports. This could trigger some sort of economic confrontation with allies and rivals alike. He was speaking from the Oval Office just a short time ago.
Speaker 4: Canada has been very bad to us andre but now Canada is going to have to start paying up. And Canada has been tough on the military because they don't have a very have a very low military cost. They think we're going to you know, protect them with our military, which is unfair. So Canada is going to be a very interesting situation because you know, we just don't need their product and yet they survive if the fact that we're you know, we do ninety five percent of what they do and Canada is just absolutely I say it, and sometimes people smile and sometimes they say, great idea, but Canada, their taxes would come down greatly, their security would go up greatly. Amazing things happened to Canada, and really Canada, and this particularly, why would we pay two hundred billion dollars a year in subsidies to Canada when they're not a state. You do that for a state, but you don't do that for somebody else's country. So I think Canada is going to be a very serious contender to be our fifty first state.
Speaker 1: With Canada, there was obviously a delay in implementing those tariffs.
Speaker 4: I spoke to Governor Trudeau on numerous occasions, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Not only is he saying that Canada should be the could be the fifty first state, he's now referring to Prime Minister Trudeau as Governor Trudeau. Okay, so as he's going on and talking about these new tariffs. He has said that these new tariffs would level the playing field between American manufacturers and foreign manufacturers. But under current law, these new tariffs that would come in would likely be paid by US by American consumers and businesses, either directly or in the form of higher prices wherever you're buying goods and services. Now, this could easily backfire on him. This is a bet. This is a bet that he did successfully. It appears against Mexico and against Canada already, and I mean that process is still playing out, but he was going to impose those tariffs, came to agreements at least to postpone those tariffs until they could work out a deal. This may be the similar negotiation tactic that he's got, although he's running into some very interesting potential downfalls. I mean, the politics of tariffs could easily backfire, like I said, because this could push inflation up. We already saw it three percent in January and it was higher than expected. It could stamp down tamp down growth. This could be very very interesting to see how this goes. Now in terms of when these would be put in place, they had suggested that they're going to do all their work by April first in terms of the negotiations against the research to figure out what tariffs need to be imposed, these reciprocal tariffs, and it would depend on each different country, so the tariff increases would be customized with the partial goal of starting new trade negotiations, but other nations could feel like they need to respond with their own tariff on ours. So there could have to be a way to reassure you and I and consumers businesses to counteract the uncertainty that would be caused by the terror I mean, this is this is him holding a hand grenade at the negotiation table, and he hasn't pulled the pin yet, but he's showing everybody that there is a hand grenade and this is the beginning of the negotiations to try to even like I said, to level the playing field I think was the term that he had said. So he said there could be some short term price increases on things, but that the outcome of it eventually would be that a more level playing field. Some Again, we'll keep an eye on that news conference. And again it was several minutes ago. They didn't actually do it live. They're just playing back some of the tape from the Oval Office. We've talked before about how young men have their heads and their asses when it comes to dating. Dating is a numbers game, and the numbers do not appear to be on our side.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: Sixty three percent of men under the age of thirty say they are single. Sixty three percent of men under the age of thirty say they're single. Compare that to thirty four percent of women in the same in that same age group who say they're single. Now, that doesn't make sense, but these single are more likely to be looking for love. Half of the single men in this Pew survey reported looking for committed relationship and or casual dates. Only about thirty five percent of single women are saying the same. On that, what are men afraid of? A new U gov poll said that fifty seven percent of women said that they have been on a terrible date. About forty four percent of men say the same. Women are no longer willing to accept ghosting, the non commitment, the harassment. Men are going to be forced to change their ways, are forced being shut out of the dating.
Speaker 2: Pool, and by and large, the men.
Speaker 3: They know what not to do, don't be toxic, don't be mean, don't be arrogant, don't be a predator, don't be a creep. But they say they're at a loss for what is acceptable when they're trying to date.
Speaker 2: How about this be yourself?
Speaker 3: They say, you could see a little bit of risk aversion among young men, partly because they're largely worried about the risks that they're going to come from putting yourself out there. There is very little rit Yes you might get your feelings hurt. Yes you might be embarrassed. But the more you allow that to drive whether or not you go after finding love, then you're the more likely you are to be screwed. I mean, and I mean that in the not that way. I mean you're going to lose out on the potential for love. According to recent American Perspective survey from the Survey Center on American Life, fifty two percent of single women said they would be less likely to date a Trump supporter. Thirty percent of thirty six percent of single men say they wouldn't date a Trump supporter.
Speaker 2: Men don't care as much.
Speaker 3: Sixty percent of single women feared that women would be worse off under a Trump administration. Only forty seven percent of single men do not allow who the president is to impact your dating life. That is completely wrong. You're doing it wrong. If that's the case, and then that's what you're doing. We have our trending stories and at twelve twenty, rebuilding after our fires. We can learn something from those other places who have had recent fires and rebuilt. What is it we can learn from the Tubs fire, from the Maui fires, maybe the campfire up in Paradise. We'll talk about that coming up at twelve twenty. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.