Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand.
Speaker 2: On the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: But I don't know the verbiage when I'm looking at this, the tsunami warning that went out a lot.
Speaker 2: Of a lot of caps, a lot of all caps.
Speaker 1: Yes, But the verbiage is a tsunami is expected at approximately twelve pm. Don't you think the verbiage should be a little bit less alarming, Like aren't there people who got this and had like heart palpitations and extreme anxiety when you see the verbiage a tsunami is expected at approximately twelve pm where you live, Like, shouldn't it say something like a tsunami could make landfall around noon?
Speaker 2: I don't know, could potentially.
Speaker 1: When it says it's expected, it sounds like it's going to happen a.
Speaker 3: Certainty, right, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, here's the thing we you know, one of the things that they use in terms of their tsunami tracking is this series of buoys that exist, you know, out in the ocean, many of them right along the coastline. And immediately they were saying that this is not the kind of earthquake that usually results in a tsunami because it it slipped horizontally, as opposed to one plate diving down underneath another one and causing vertical lift, so that this it would have been very unusual for it to be a significant tsunami in the first place, But out of an abundance of caution, they're going to tell us that a tsunami is possible, and that would I think your point is that would be a better word. I think so than one is expected to come your way.
Speaker 1: Before we completely close the freak out file. Is there a potential that that was a four shock?
Speaker 4: There always is a potential that that was a four shock. What you're doing is frightening Deborah on purpose.
Speaker 2: I think that's that mean, Shanne.
Speaker 4: I would like to say it this way. Yeah, there's sorry. It was a significant earthquake seven point zero, right, and it hit an hour and twenty minutes ago or so up off the coast.
Speaker 3: And I did the math.
Speaker 4: It's closer to about forty miles off the coast of Ferndale up in northern California, where the San Andrea's fault makes a hard left and goes out to the ocean. I like to think it was your will, your grit, your determination that prevented this from being anything bigger than it needed to be.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm getting credit for that.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you had some power, if you felt like you had some agency over these earthquakes, you wouldn't be as afraid of them as you are.
Speaker 1: So okay, are you just trying to pay Deborah back for keeping her sex in our show and not letting John know about her proclivities.
Speaker 4: I'm also trying to protect her from you.
Speaker 3: You're trying to plant nightmares in her head.
Speaker 1: I did have a look on my face like watch this door shock, keep.
Speaker 2: It on or keep it on?
Speaker 4: Lean into Yeah, but there have been a series of aftershocks as some of them as powerful as a five point zero that hit just about ten minutes ago that was much farther off the coast of off the coast of northern California, in a handful of others that continue to crop up. Usually those earthquakes they're far enough out. Those are a couple hundred miles out off the coast, not going to be felt, but they do exist along the San Andreas Fault. So the argument is that these are after shocks, you know, far ranging, but still after shocks from this big earthquake.
Speaker 1: What a chamber of commerce boost for California today because this all the.
Speaker 2: Coast is getting.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful day up and down the coast, and all the national news agencies are taking these live shots sunny skies and beautiful beaches, and you know, this is when the lake effect is going on in the Northeast area, and that's great.
Speaker 4: We wanted to talk to people who are up in that area, and if you are there, you can always leave us talk back messages on the iHeart app and that's how you let us know what happened, what you felt, if you have people up there, or if you are up there yourself. One of those places right now, Merritt wrote, is the owner of the Farmer's Daughter there in Ferndale. Hey, thanks for taking time for us today, Maren.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: So that was quite a little rock and roll there for you. What'd you feel?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I wasn't at the store, but I was in Eureka, and everybody here said the same thing. It was very much like being out a rough boat. It was very long, the strongest earthquake I've been in we've been in a lot. You just take it living in this beautiful area. But we've kind of had enough.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of Victorians and beautiful buildings there. Have you heard anything about any damage.
Speaker 5: No, I mean we've had lots of them before, and much more damage I think structurally. So I think since it was rolling, but it was just a strong force. I mean we had two in a row before. I think they did more damage because it was shaking, yeah, and this was rolling in a drool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was one in December a couple of years ago, in twenty twenty two that seemed to do more damage, at least so.
Speaker 5: Far before too.
Speaker 4: Yep, we were talking earlier that we had had some calls from people who said that they have relatives that are up in the area and they knew right away that once the earthquake hits, the tsunami is always a threat immediately afterwards, and they had already gone to higher ground.
Speaker 3: Is that top of mind for.
Speaker 4: You when you do feel an earthquake, Is that something you think about right away?
Speaker 5: Well, kind of a little bit. My daughter lives up in Smith River, and they that counted dil Nort got evacuated and then everybody in Ferndale. I think my daughter and son live out Centerville Road, so they you know, everybody knows to move away, and the kids are all out of school. It's just yeah, it's just we're picking up and we're going to be open, and you know it's going to take longer this time to clean up. We have jewelry everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 2: Oh man, break.
Speaker 5: Our berry's running fine, and nobody got hurt so far that I know it all anywhere, So I praise the word for that. So we just hang on and count our blessings and then go on to the next day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of the next day, I mean, I don't want to be all crazy and trying to scare.
Speaker 2: Scare anybody does.
Speaker 1: But after that six point four and twenty twenty two, they said there was over two one and fifty aftershocks above a magnitude one point Oh. The largest one was that next January four point nine, and then a five point four, I mean four point five in Ferndale there, So well, yeah.
Speaker 5: We had a six point eight, seven and a six point five all in a matter of twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you are done with that, I can tell.
Speaker 5: Oh, it will be It's like birthing pain. You forget him?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Merret.
Speaker 4: We appreciate your time, okay, Merret Brodigan from from the Farmer's Daughter. You can check out the Farmer's Daughter Ferndale on Instagram. Great little craft shop there on Main Street and Ferndale. It looks really cute, very cool.
Speaker 3: Big guys.
Speaker 6: My son is a student at cal Poly Humble. I just checked in with him. He said it was a little bit of shaking, nothing that to him felt like a seven point oh.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 6: People are gathering around Hell waiting for the SOMHAMI to see if there's something coming in. But other than that, send everything's fine up there and Humboldt.
Speaker 4: One of the images of iconic California images, of course, of earthquakes is the pool water slashing back and forth. My sister in Chico sent me images of the pool water slashing back and forth in their pool.
Speaker 2: So far, that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: I saw a couple homes up in Ferndale, a couple of grocery stores and things where things were knocked off the shelves and things of that nature. But it's a wild that a seven point zero could hit so close and not have more damage, especially for those older buildings. We wanted to get to the latest coming out of New York about the United Healthcare CEO who was shot and killed yesterday morning in midtown Manhattan. A former bodyguard for Brian Thompson says he's in complete disbelief that this guy didn't have security when he was murdered. This was one of the questions you and I floated earlier this morning when we were talking about it, if he had, as his wife reported to NBC News yesterday very quickly after the murder, by the way, that he had had threats on his life enough to where he would let her know. Why didn't he have security, especially in a place like New York City. His ex security guards guy by the name of Philip Klein. He runs a Texas based security firm. It's called Klein Investigations. He previously provided bodyguards for this guy in the two thousands. He says he shocked and baffled to see that he didn't have a detail, which is at least ten security guards with him while out and about in Manhattan. The insurance industry, they say, often faces crazy people, and that should have been the case, they said. He said he should have been wearing a vest in addition to having guards by his side, but says that he didn't have one on due to personal preference. He thinks that United Healthcare has some explaining to do as.
Speaker 3: To why they didn't have security for him right.
Speaker 1: Interesting, and is United Healthcare maybe one of the people that ordered a hit if this was in fact a hit ordered by someone, because remember this was a company that was being investigated, and he knew that the company was being investigated, so he divested a bunch of his stock to the tune of fifteen million dollars. He was recently separated from his wife. There's a lot going on this guy's situation. Uh, was he going to roll on the company? I don't know? Or was this somebody who came out of nowhere because they were denied coverage and or knew somebody close to them that who was denied coverage and died or something like that. The still images of the suspect are odd because to me, it looks like three different people in the same clothes. Now, there was a report early this morning that they believe the suspect was living with two men in a hunt hostel in the area of Midtown.
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 4: And your theory is that there would be three individuals all wearing the same clothes to throw off the trail, Yeah, which would be a professional move. Yes, but then there's evidence at the scene that would make it look unprofessional.
Speaker 2: But was it planted at the scene?
Speaker 4: Well, there is So the latest I saw is that they believe they do have at least one fingerprint off of a water bottle that this guy left at the scene.
Speaker 2: There's a professional would.
Speaker 3: Ever do that.
Speaker 2: There was a candy wrapper I think.
Speaker 4: A coffee cup phone, ahone, a phone that they said they're still trying to crack into.
Speaker 2: And then remember the AMMO was branded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had written the he had written words on it. Apparently a couple of bullet cases depose It was denied, Defend, and depose, similar to the title of an anti insurance book call Delay, Deny, Defend Why insurance companies don't pay claims?
Speaker 3: In What you can do about It?
Speaker 4: There were also some unspent rounds at the scene, and I mentioned yesterday the video shows the guy racking the slide on this semi automatic handgun. Why would he do that? Maybe he used the wrong AMMO for the silencer. Didn't have it set upright, or a subsonic amm or I mean all of these different theories that go into that. No, either a complete amateur right would allow there to be unspent bullet casings which they could also get fingerprints off of depending on how he loaded the weapon, or the absolute greatest professional would plant those to make it look like it wasn't professional. So once they figure out who this is, I mean, they're going to be able to answer all of the most of the who's this some of those questions who.
Speaker 1: They are, because if you look at the three pictures, the noses and the chins are different.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a guy with a very almost like Greek looking face, chiseled face, strong nose, strong jaw, and then the other one it's more of a sculpted face, maybe even more feminine, with a longer, thinner nose.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They have also said investigators believe that the gun that was used is a version of a rare World War two gun. Wow detectives are said to be focusing on a Connecticut gun shop and have specifically zeroed in on the purchase of what's called a B and T VP nine. It's a model, it's an update on a well rod pistol that was developed in the Second World War, which if in fact, if that's what it is, it has a difference. It's not a slide mechanism. It's a kind of a bolt that you pull out of the back of the barrel. I don't know the right terminology, but it would be an updated version of that. But it's an old World War two sort of technology, which could explain some of those discrepancies with why he would need to do that versus the silencer or subsonic rounds all that sort of thing. So there's just so much weird stuff in this.
Speaker 1: And then there was a story that this guy who was murdered had deployed AI to automatically deny benefits for sick people. That that came out about a year ago, and was picking up traction online.
Speaker 3: Did AI order the hit?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, well wait a minute.
Speaker 4: Of all the crazy things, you shoot that one down very very quickly.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm the only one allowed to be crazy. I see someone's got to be irrational.
Speaker 3: Crazy party one?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, Well our long National Night California Nightmares over which one the one where we thought we were going to be wiped out by a massive tsunami that struck all along the coast.
Speaker 4: National Weather Service officially canceled itsunami warning for the coast from middle of California all the way up through parts of Oregon. There was a seven point zero magnitude quake that hit at about ten forty four this morning, well off the coast of Ferndale. I guessed about forty or fifty miles off the coast, and they said at one point more than five million people were under a tsunami warning because of the possibility of a tsunami, according to geological survey. The earthquake itself was felt as far south as San Francisco.
Speaker 3: People said it was a.
Speaker 4: It was more of a rolling than a jeelting, followed by some smaller aftershocks. No immediate reports of any significant damage or injuries or anything, but obviously that's something we'll keep our eyes on.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: The Kardashianization of the country may be coming to an end. It did feel like we reached peak, maybe like three years ago, where so many women look just like the Kardashians when it came to the fake butts and the boobs and the corset type thing to get that waist small and the bee stung lips, the super straight, shiny, dark hair.
Speaker 2: It seemed like everyone looked just like that.
Speaker 1: They say that in tandem with the rise of ozempic and the other GLP one meds, the image is fading fast, they say.
Speaker 2: Even the Kardashians themselves.
Speaker 1: Are deflating, with butts apparently reduced fillers seemingly dissolved.
Speaker 3: I uh, does that stretch out the skin also?
Speaker 4: And then when you take that stuff out, I have no idea deflated balloon.
Speaker 2: On my face. Never wanted to make my butt bigger.
Speaker 1: New York plastic surgeon Darren smith Well says lifts and even breast reductions are on the rise, along with tummy tucks to make the mid.
Speaker 2: Section look more fit.
Speaker 1: He reports a twenty five percent uptick in many arm lifts, which give the area more streamlined and toned appearance. Interesting, said, I see a twenty percent increase in women coming in for lifts this year over last. And when they want implants, they only want to go up one bra size.
Speaker 3: Is that a significant enough padded bra?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 4: I mean, get those little chicken cutlets or whatever they are that you stick in therenutlets.
Speaker 3: Isn't that the thing?
Speaker 1: They look like chicken cutlets, they look like I know what you mean, but I don't think that's a thing.
Speaker 3: Is that a thing that people put those in there? Yeah, of course they didn't.
Speaker 4: There's also the backlash to injectables. Apparently it's largely largely the result of social media.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 4: Filler market has been down in twenty twenty four. Everyone was encouraged to get that very contoured, overfilled Instagram face, but now there's a real fear.
Speaker 3: Of looking weird.
Speaker 4: Here's the other aspect about this that I've always been fascinated with so many times totally stereotype here and say, most of the time it's women that get this done. I mean, I know that the percentage of men that do it now is much greater than it was before. But women doing it to appear attractive, right, I assume that's why they would do it in the first place. And they do the complete opposite, like they look exactly opposite, or the effect is the exact opposite. It makes them look much less attractive.
Speaker 1: I feel that way with makeup from time to time, interesting, like I think because you overdo it or for instance, they had one of the morning shows had a woman that was all natural, and then they had her fully made up and it was a split screen, and I think I said to you out loud, God, she looks so much prettier without all that makeup. It makes her look older in fact and just phony and fake. And look at how beautiful she is without any of that crap on. You know, I think sometimes get a little carried away with all that.
Speaker 4: So like Grandma Jenny over there to explaining why girls need to stop tarting it up.
Speaker 2: My husband.
Speaker 1: I were at Golden Road a couple of weeks ago, and there was a young guys behind the bar work in the bar, and I overheard their conversation and one of them was saying something to the effect of the to the other one of yeah, you don't you don't know what you're gonna get with the eyelashes and with everything, And then the other guy goes, yeah, not until you wake up the next morning, do you know what you got is falling off and your death becomes her.
Speaker 4: Well, what's funny is I've seen this kind of version of this article in different places, and the one thing that I am a little bit amazed at is that facelifts are just a thing of the past.
Speaker 1: No, facelifts now have become like a hip replacement surgery. Remember hip replacement surgery was a big deal, like while you're growing up.
Speaker 2: Like you get your hip replaced, it was, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Now hip replacement has become kind of stream. I'm not a doctor, but it's become less of a big deal than it was, less of an or deal the way that they're able to do it. Facelifts the same thing they're saying, facelifts now are seen as less drastic and altering than injectables.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and here's the thing.
Speaker 4: That's when you would see in the in the early nineties, you'd see someone got a facelift, you'd go, oh my gosh, she clearly got a facelift. Right now, if someone gets a facelifts, it's much less recognizable.
Speaker 3: Like you said, they're getting better at it.
Speaker 4: But it's also not the a drastic change where you've got cheek implants or right stupid duck lifts or something like you can't.
Speaker 2: Even tell that I got a facelift, right Oh, you can do.
Speaker 3: I can see the scars.
Speaker 2: You can see the scars. Where are the scars.
Speaker 3: They're right next to your head or hair. I mean sorry, of course they're on your head.
Speaker 2: Scars. Did you do it on the ear? Where did they do on decisions? I don't know what did.
Speaker 1: They even do because they say they don't use fat anymore, so what do they They just justay this slice right there?
Speaker 2: Does this look better?
Speaker 4: They do about like a three quarters of an inch thing, and then they just go, look at my face.
Speaker 2: They put zip ties around be okay, normal, lift it lift really?
Speaker 1: Oh do you remember when we were out with Fred Rogan?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, one of my favorite plastic surgery stories.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: We're at a bar in this like darkly lit bar, just having a drink with Fred after we taped his TV show one night, and we're talking about botox. Fred gets out his phone, turns the flashlight on his phone, points it at our faces and was like, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm the guy. So this is what you do.
Speaker 3: Here's what you could do.
Speaker 2: Frown now, don't frown. Frown then, don't frown. You don't need botox. You do not need botox. Very funny. It was like a classic La moment.
Speaker 3: What you could do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, if you are interested, you know if you want to start getting into that market.
Speaker 2: Here's a couple of entry level things that you might want to do with.
Speaker 4: Number one rated speaking to for it midday radio talk to a free it not only Los Angeles but in the Western United States. Say it what you test, Fred from kf I am six you damn right, Fred, Garry and shamp No. You know my daughter said to me when she was homewark for Thanksgiving, say it with.
Speaker 3: Your chest Dad.
Speaker 2: Oh my godness, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: But I do have a little bit of a problem with that because Fred says the West in the United States makes me want to have a where you at in the Eastern United States?
Speaker 2: Friday?
Speaker 1: Maybe, isn't It's a weird week since we had a broadcast on Tuesday, Tomorrow's Friday.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow's Friday. Right tonight is Thursday. Today, the all day is Thursday, and we had an earthquake day, Yes we did. It's time for strange science.
Speaker 1: It's like weird science, but strange. The Christmas Star will grace the night sky this weekend. Actually, a trifecta of stargazing events could be visible in space in the coming days. In addition to the Crescent moon and the possibility of more displays of the northern lights. Venus will be glowing bright starting today yesterday, and Jupiter will go into op position on Saturday.
Speaker 3: That's good for your star sign.
Speaker 2: Do you know what this means, Jacob?
Speaker 3: I don't think I've seen him slap his forehead harder.
Speaker 1: There's nothing he hates more than astrology, and like legit hate Like it's not even ha ha ha, It's like it pains him when we do astrology?
Speaker 3: Is it because mercury is in retrograde?
Speaker 1: Is mercury in metro retrograde? Metro grade mercury right now and space wars we'll call it metro grade.
Speaker 4: The Christmas Star may have been historically been when Jupiter and Saturn were in conjunction, between Jupiter and Saturn or a conjunction between Jupiter and Venus, and that Christmas stars is Venus referred to as a Christmas star because it's going to be the brightest object in the sky besides the Moon and the Sun.
Speaker 2: We are not in.
Speaker 1: That's hard mercury retrograde until December thirteenth.
Speaker 3: Oh, but it is right around the corner.
Speaker 1: I thought I felt something and in astrology mercury retrograde is set to affect the areas of life that mercury governs, communication, travel, technology.
Speaker 2: The mind, the mind.
Speaker 1: It can cause brain fog, misunderstandings, unexpected conflict.
Speaker 3: Do you ever wonder why you wear clothes?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Like, where did it come from? That humans?
Speaker 4: Way back in the old days it's cold walk around in all of our glory, we.
Speaker 2: Would wear furs.
Speaker 3: We wouldn't live in places that were cold.
Speaker 2: I mean the pictures of cavemen and the furs.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I mean, but why did they even choose furs in the first place.
Speaker 1: Because the protection from the elements, maybe not just because you have a naked house.
Speaker 4: David Reid is Associate Curator of Mammals at the Florida Museum of Natural History, and he's been looking into this mystery of why and when did human ancestors first decided first decide that we needed to wear clothes, and his work has focused on lice as the reason these tiny parasites have lived on us and probably other mammals for a very long time, and that this was a way to protect ourselves against lice. We wanted to find another method for pinpointing when humans might have been weaving clothing, so they are well adapted to clothing. We know that body lice or clothing lice almost certainly didn't exist until clothing came about in humans.
Speaker 1: Maybe we knew that we didn't want to see each other's genitals. Maybe we knew that those were private parts. It shouldn't just be exposed to everybody all the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, but you wear a lot more than you just cover in your dark parts.
Speaker 3: So you cover, You're covering all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we'd be really cold if we were just sitting here in our underwear.
Speaker 2: In this room.
Speaker 3: We would not fly.
Speaker 1: Why are we allowed to do a strange science segment like it's just two boneheaded boneheads.
Speaker 4: Mark Stone and King from the Max Plank Institute estimated that clothing use began about one hundred and seven thousand years ago, and they said that one of the reasons that we know that we started wearing clothes was because body lice started showing up clothing lice, but that the last ice age occurred about one hundred and twenty thousand years ago, and that we were bundling up before that. We were trying to develop these we're trying to or just simply were developing the technology that would be necessary to have the species survived.
Speaker 1: Oh, Deborah's going to love this story. Have you ever wondered what prehistoric humans eight thirteen thousand years.
Speaker 3: Ago the umes and garbanzo.
Speaker 2: Be No, we eat mammoths.
Speaker 1: Oh, people consumed large animals such as mammoths. Could you imagine taking a bite of a mammoth, Deborah?
Speaker 3: That would be a big no no.
Speaker 2: But you'd have to to survive. I wouldn't have survived.
Speaker 5: And you know what, maybe that would be Okay, I wouldn't have to deal with earthquakes in the future, and right.
Speaker 2: You'd rather dive and deal with earthquakes.
Speaker 4: I do have good news on the plastics front. Okay, we have discovered a plastic eating insect which could help reduce pollution faster and more efficiently than anything that we could dream about.
Speaker 2: Is this the Kenyan mealworm?
Speaker 4: Well, it's the larvae of a lesser eating Kenyon mealworm.
Speaker 3: They said it can digest plastics.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is the Alpha Tobias darkling beetle.
Speaker 3: How did you know that?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I've read my journals.
Speaker 4: It is an insect species native to Africa that has been shown to be able to digest plastics. It has an enzyme that can break down polystyrene, best known as the key ingredient in styro foam. So that's good news. Let those buggers take over the earth for a while.
Speaker 2: We don't do styrofoam much anymore, do we.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody does styrofoam of any kind.
Speaker 4: It's in packaging a lot in your what do you call it, your Christmas gifts, but.
Speaker 3: Other than that, it's not it's not around again.
Speaker 4: A huge thank you to everybody at pastath on the totals that Michelle announced this morning, more than a million dollars raised and almost forty thousand, sorry forty tons of pasta and sauce, just under eighty thousand pounds of pasta and sauce donated by you, so we greatly appreciate that you can continue continue donating at Smart and Final Stories throughout California, Nevada, and Arizona. Donate any amount of checkout the Southern California Wendy's locations donate five more. At the checkout you'll get a coupon book in exchange or online anytime at KFIAM six forty dot com slash pastapon you've.
Speaker 3: Been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap