Speaker 1: On this week's episode, game Spot Australia joins us to talk about the new consoles and Watchdog's Legion. Hello and welcome to episode sixty five of Game Spot after Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Callie Plaguey. Hello, Edmund Tran that's me and Jess McDonald.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: It is a bittersweet episode to say the least ed, and Jess, this is your last week at GameSpot. We wanted to make sure we got you both in GameSpot after Dark. There are a lot of people in the discord reaching out with support and whatnot, so I wanted to get you guys on for one last discussion about games, and it's gonna be a big one. I mean, we've got the PS five and Xbox Series X we can talk about. However, we can't talk about much. So I thank you for all your questions you sent me, but like ninety percent of them we can't answer. But with that said, how are y'all doing?
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, pretty good despite other things happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's been exciting.
Speaker 3: It's been exciting to actually touch new consoles and like play next gen games to sham with con stick around for the real deal, but it's exciting.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, I mean we can always, like, have you back on as a guest. We do have guests on this show, so sure, I feel like that's not totally I mean, maybe I'm speaking at a turn here. I'm just saying that's possible.
Speaker 1: It's entirely possible. But anyway, normally we would start to show off with the Christian Dale, Ohio segment, except I'm pretty sure both of you have already done it. However, it's been a while for Jess in particular, because I think you did it like episode two is sixty three episodes ago, if my math is right. Yeah, yeah, it's been a while. So with that in mind, do you want to remind the people who you are, Jess that they forgotten?
Speaker 5: But I'm Jess as referenced. Yeah, I am, and have been and soon will not be a host and producer GameSpot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I've been with GameSpot for like nine years, doing a bunch of different jobs and different roles, and it's a blast. It's the best place ever. You guys are amazing. Yeah, and I play all kinds of video games. I'm excited for the consoles. I haven't touched either of the next gen consoles yet, so I'm not your expert on that front. But get back to me on launch day and I and I will have my PlayStation at least.
Speaker 1: So you haven't played some balders Gate though, right. I know you're a big CRPG person. Yeah, what are your thoughts on that? So far?
Speaker 2: I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because one of the main complaints I saw is that like someone saying they wouldn't recommend it on Steam, and that is just Divinity three, Divinity Original Scene three.
Speaker 4: That's fine, That's okay, ten game right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if it's it is more of the same. But I think that's probably something that I played Bold Skate when I was very very young. The earlier games, uh, not all the way through, but I think that's something that would bother Purest more than it bothers me. I think Divinity Originals Into is probably the best RPG of this generation. Uh so, more of that is great. The dice roll stuff is interesting. I'm a saved scum person, are you guys? Save scum people are in you, like, let's just keep going live without choices people.
Speaker 4: I don't say that. I am, but I actually am.
Speaker 5: Okay, I was gonna say ed, because you've definitely told me you like not. You just got to keep going perman death all the way. You just got to live with your choices, all right. Maybe we're all save scum people behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: I already have to live with my choices in real life. It told me to do that in a video game. I want to make sure everything is perfect. I am right there with Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was unfortunately playing it on a live Twitch stream, and I just didn't want to be judged by one hundred people. So I was like, I guess I should keep going and pretend that I'm not Save.
Speaker 4: Of the Earth.
Speaker 1: But the shame of refloading the save exactly?
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, this is what's in this what's missing in the in bould Escape three?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's Alli access, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Don't I don't actually know. I've played two hours. I don't know how much of the game it is. Do you guys know, Jake, you've played a bit of it, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we played a bit in co op. I think it's like supposed to be like twenty hours long or so, which is pretty decently length. But it seems like it's just like maybe the first act of a game.
Speaker 2: I still owe the Discord a screenshot of my character who looks like Kim Kardashian. Oh my accident. It was not on purpose, dude.
Speaker 5: The characters are beautiful, Like I lost my shait. My god, my character's girlfriend is oh my gosh. Yeah, it's like you get done making your character and then it's like, okay, now make the character that your character is into.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what nice little twist.
Speaker 3: So all the races in this because I played this for like maybe half an hour and like all that was in Character Creator, but it just seems like all the races are basically just humanoid and just like half human, half elf, half devil thing, and like guess, I guess the devil thing was like the most out there species or race. Is there more to come? You know, like are their gnomes and dwarves and stuff.
Speaker 2: There is a dwarf.
Speaker 5: I think it's a I think it might have a different and halfling halfling halfway. Yeah, but there's about seven, which is pretty good. The character Creator is really extensive, and also it's just nice because like I remember back playing Old Eldest Grolls games, and there was just no way to have a good looking character like they were all like uglysin Oh my God.
Speaker 2: There was just no way.
Speaker 5: So it's nice to play an RPG where you're just like, yeah, I'm cool.
Speaker 2: The meta game of any character creator is making the hardest part character. Yeah, I'm really proud of my bloodborn character. Who is I think the hottest possible bloodborn character? You can make it? She's not saying a whole lot.
Speaker 3: The Doc Soule's character created is a notoriously bad for trying to make good looking characters.
Speaker 4: Someone looks so pale and like deathly.
Speaker 1: Your next challenge, Kelli should be Elder Scrolls four because all the characters look like they swallowed bees or something.
Speaker 2: I will make it. I will do my best to make it hot. I think that's a series. I mean, I know Monster Factories. It's the opposite of Monster Factory. Is my hitch?
Speaker 1: So I tune in for that. I watch that anyway. And do you want to refresh the people on who you are?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Hello, I am Edmund Tran and I have been a game spot for twelve whole years working in Australia in various roles as well I set off as a video producer and kind of did a lot of video for about half my time, and then became an editor and did a lot of writing, And yeah, that's basically me, and I guess I've been doing a lot of reviews lately and all that kind of stuff, and so you may have seen me write some of you some reviews of your favorite games or your least favorite games.
Speaker 1: Games that you scored low.
Speaker 2: Just for Fallout seventy.
Speaker 3: Six, that's yeah, let's not forget Shadow of the Tomb rate right. Yeah, still, I'm I get hold onto that score. I think that was an accurate score, and looking in retrospect, like of the three two DA games, that was the right thing to score it.
Speaker 1: I think, did you give it?
Speaker 4: I gave it a six.
Speaker 2: I always tell people you'll regret if you're on the fence. You'll regret the higher score more often than you'll regret the lower score. I only regret one score that wasn't high enough, and that Started Valley. That's the only score. I'm like, that wasn't high enough. But I started, I gave Started like an eight point four or something. At IgM, I'm like, nah, nine point.
Speaker 3: Eight, baby, My only score, regret was into the breach. I regret that I didn't make that at ten. So good, so good. And the more you play, the more, yeah, the more it reveals itself to be just like an intricately designed piece of Yeah, it's a strategy game that is just perfect to play again and again and again, and it's just yeah, big regrets.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I really don't know how I'm gonna do my job without you, Ed. I'm just gonna say that really quickly. I'm not gonna harp on it too much, but Ed has been absolutely instrumental in games past review coverage. If you don't know, if you don't like look at the byline when you re reviews. Ed has done basically everything ever And we even had a Game of the Year discussion where we were like, we have to wait until Ed's awake because he reviewed like eight of the ten games on this list we're talking about.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you'll be fine. There are no games coming out.
Speaker 2: There's still more games games aren't Jess has also reviewed a lot of games, So just from a reviews editor perspective, you guys know your games, and also I love you. I love you too. What it's worth to be hugely sappy.
Speaker 5: I would not have reviewed anything if it wasn't for you, Kelly, Like just like having internal like support and someone to be like, no, you can do this, you are capable of it, like you're the best anyway, you both are.
Speaker 4: You're all right.
Speaker 2: It was so premature for this episode, but I just had to say it.
Speaker 5: No, I love it.
Speaker 1: I do have a question ed It's a little off topic here, but you you said you were a producer and now an editor. Have you ever called yourself a predator? I've seen some people do this. This isn't like I've seen people in like LinkedIn have like predator who says this.
Speaker 2: I thought you were doing an arrested development, like an analysis.
Speaker 1: I know it's bad, but like, I don't know many producer editors, so people linked I think one time I saw it on LinkedIn and someone to describe themselves as presis.
Speaker 2: It's like when people are like, I'm a social media ninja.
Speaker 1: I actually know who it is, but I'm not going to say it on the podcast. But anyway, it's a big week. There were quite a few games out and coming out. Uh, but Callie, do you want to start what have you been playing.
Speaker 2: Sure, I just wanted to say that, for the first time since I got the game, I missed a day in Animal Crossing New Horizons. Oh no, it's because I've been playing Persona five Royal and it is the only game I care about ever. Yes, I I just really needed to take a second to say that I am absolutely kicking myself for not playing it sooner, and it is my game of the year so far. I'm not even like a third of the way and I'm already like, this is the this is the best, this is the absolute best. I regret waiting's so I'm so mad that I waited this long. I don't know what's wrong with me.
Speaker 4: I forgot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've tried.
Speaker 1: I really.
Speaker 2: I think the secret sauce was being humble and playing with the English voiceover because I was like, I'm gonna play on the Japanese voiceover because I hate how they say saccamado like that, and and then Jake was like, why don't you play with English? English is good? The English is good, and there's so much read Koto. Yeah, yeah, but uh, there's so much reading and so much to take in. In the first like ten hours of that like tutorial period that I think the first couple of times I tried to play the game, playing it in Japanese really hampered my ability to get through that. And I definitely like, I'm already at the point where I like, I'm going to replay this with the Japanese voiceover just to strengthen because I want to practice Japanese. But I am absolutely obsessed with it, and it caused me to not play Animal Crusting New Horizons, which says.
Speaker 4: Everything, is this your first time through it?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, this isn't a bad time to start playing it. I don't think because Persona Royal came out or Persona five Royal came out this year, so it's not like you're playing Persona five from twenty seventeen or whenever it came out, it at least has some like relevancy, and I don't know, I feel like Persona five Royal could be a Game of the Year contender, you know, definitely there are many people on the staff who would say that for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I haven't touched it because I went through the original, But Jess, you've played both now, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, Royal's really different. It's really really Yeah, yeah, because the news stuff isn't just like tacked on at the end. Because I'm a person who doesn't play DLC that comes out like a year or two after the original game because I'm done with it. But this is there's so many new mechanics and the two new characters and new story elements that are all woven in that it's like playing enough of a new game. I guess it's like a director's cut of a favorite movie. It's just like there's enough extra all the way through that you don't feel especially having played the first one right after it came out. It's been a while anyway, God, I loved replaying that game. I had such a good time. It's who do you like so far?
Speaker 2: Cali? I really like Timmy is the goth doctor. I just I just like her whole vibe. And I I have a soft spot for On because I feel like I just feel for her so much, and I gives that because nobody ever says their best girl is On and I feel bad for her because she's she's nice. I have met Makoda and I but I'm like kind of like in the early stages of her thing. But yeah, I'm like, oh, nobody likes you enough. I'm sorry, but your whole thing is that people were mean to you because they thought you were a slut, So I want to be nicer to you. But yeah, I'm I'm very much, very much into it. And yeah, like from what I know about what's new, I think, like you know, I haven't I haven't really played I've played some of the original, so it just seems like a natural extension of the mechanics that were there, Like they just like they don't feel like superfluous, if that makes sense. Like especially the baton pass mechanic I think is so smart and works so well with what the game is and what the themes are. Yeah, I'm just like I I started a one hundred hour game right when the new consoles were launching. That's on me, but I don't regret it at all. And Jake's read it. I actually can justify it to myself because we you got to play the games that came out this year, and we did give it tense.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it'll make intend for Shure.
Speaker 3: Far Out Fantasy came out this year, that's wild it that game too.
Speaker 1: I need to play that one anyway. I kind of messed this up a little bit because I didn't see you put balled. There's gate three on what you've been playing, Jess, So I asked you questions about it during your intro. But is there anything you'd like to add about Balter's Gate?
Speaker 2: I can just keep talking about Persona.
Speaker 5: You know. Persona five is the first JPG I ever plaied.
Speaker 2: I've never played JPGs.
Speaker 4: Did I miss four at one point? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I tried, but I couldn't get into it because I thought it was way too grindy And it's way less grindy than a Persona four.
Speaker 1: Try Persona four on PC because you can like mess with the settings so much to get rid of the grind entirely. Like I've played the beginning of Persona four a couple of times, but I decided to on PC and just crank the XP up, crank the money up, so I just sprint through the dungeons and that is it, and then it's all just chatting with people.
Speaker 2: Okay. I mean I was going to say, I don't know how you would ever go back in time to play a JRPG after Persona five, Like, like, I feel like I wouldn't be able to recommend you one that would be like that would get its hooks in you more like I would really struggle. But I think yeah, Jake's solution with before g on is it Golden that's on PC.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of like Square Enix games including those options too, which you know, make them a lot more playable in this modern day and age.
Speaker 4: Which is nice. It's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well. Speaking of JRPG's house, Watchdogs ed.
Speaker 4: You can make it a JPG if you know you can't.
Speaker 2: I heard there's CaCrO cass players.
Speaker 3: Oh really, I'm not encountered on yet. Alisander sent me a bunch of footage up the crazy people that he got recruited into his squad, and I have not encountered any of those people.
Speaker 4: Yet, really yet. Yeah, Watchdogs is really good.
Speaker 3: I'm only like maybe ten to fifteen hours in so far, and I played a bunch of previews, so I've mostly just been retreading that ground. But I quite like it so far. Like I am really enjoying the players. Anyone mechanic where you can just pick up anyone off the street and recruit them, And I got really addicted in the first few hours to like scouring the streets of London, trying to put together the perfect crew. And so I was all my time doing that, just walking down like looking at everyone's traits and stuff, and you know, I talk to them and like listen to their voice, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't really like your voice that much.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you have good skills, but I don't really want to hear you for like twenty hours.
Speaker 4: And so it's that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard someone refer to it as like a civilization style one more turn kind of thing, like you just see one more person, one more person, you try and get their mission and try and recruit them, and yeah, yeah, so I like that part.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: I did start charging through the story a little bit, and then in doing so seeing sort of the limitations of that players anyone mechanic, because I feel like, you know, a person will come with a set of skills. They might have one skill or four skills, but that'll be it for the game basically.
Speaker 4: And while like you can do most things with most people.
Speaker 3: So for example, if you have a hacker character and you have or you have an assassin character, or you have you know, a character that relies on drones or whatever, they can all kind of go through missions the same way. They can all do stealth, they can all do gunplay, they can all do melee combat. Really well, it's just varying degrees of where they might excel even further, and so that kind of just feels a little bit samey after a while, when if you're not just purely role playing in your head, like mechanically it is the same and I can't. Yeah, knowing that I'm just the beginning of the story and knowing that I'll have a lot more story missions to go yet makes me realize that there isn't much progression with these characters. I just can collect more, but each one doesn't really evolve when it's in their own unique way, which is both a blessing and a curse, because you know, having everyone be capable is good. In the previous stages, I talked a lot about how there are some certain characters with some negative traits, certain people who have a specific yeah, they have de buffs basically like some might die permanently, some move slower, some can't do this, some can't do that, And I think with those kind of characters might make it a lot more interesting because you need to actually cater your play style in a particular way. You're kind of forced to do that. And perma death as well. You can just set a like a like a universal perman death option on when you start the game, and I think that would make the game a lot more interesting too.
Speaker 4: You you definitely like play a lot.
Speaker 3: More carefully as you do with perman death, and I think you'd really cherish those characters a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Like Yeah, but so far pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been playing it too, and speaking of saves coming, I've been playing on Permia death and uh, you know, maybe character died and I just had all to four and they were back. I have similar feelings as that though. I really enjoy the fact that you can play as any character. I think that's really neat, and they do some really cool things with that, especially with like the deep profiling, how you can kind of track their history with dead sec and basically look at their schedules see what they do. And there's there's and like stories coming out about how if you if someone's spouse dies or something like that, then they might visit the graveyard or something to or they might visit their grave or something like that, and those details are super cool. But the story so far hasn't grabbed me, and I think it's for the reasons that you kind of mentioned too. It's just there's no centralized protagonist, so it just kind of feels. It feels imprecise.
Speaker 3: I guess there's only so much you can get emotionally invested in a story when it has to cater to so many different options.
Speaker 1: I guess totally.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, but yeah, having those options in building the team that you want, the team that, yeah, you know, of all different racists, shapes and sizes is really great. I just wish they could they could go a bit further with it, but that obviously takes a.
Speaker 4: Lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Alessandro definitely had a similar take. He wrote our review and like, but there was one example from his review that I wanted to mention because it was just super interesting. Is that he went to recruit a character and found out that at some point earlier in his game, a different character who was playing as had hit that person with a car, so they hate Dad's sick. And I thought that was really cool and interesting and that kind of thing I think would like that kind of emergent. He described it as like elements of immersive sims in that game are really like where it shines, so I'm definitely interested in it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it is directed by Clint Hawking, who did Splinter Cell in Far Cry Too, which especially Far Cry Too was like, I don't know, an early Triple A example of an immersive sim shooter. So it's not that surprising that Watchdog's Legion is doing this too, which I'm which is why I'm super interested in this game. I will say another thing that really stood out about this game is that this seems like the first Ubisoft game that actually tries to make a stance on things going on in the world, rather than just, to quote Alessandra again, using it as window dressing, which I have been kind of impressed by some of It's a little heavy, just because it's obvious, Like there's stuff about how authoritarian leaders like basically claim the media's fake news and then swoop in and take power because of that, and it's just like, hmm, that sounds very familiar. I wonder, I wonder where this comes from. Uh, but I do find that interesting because you'd be suffer for so long has been like banging on that drum, like oh no, our games are apolitical. We're not gonna talk about any of that stuff, but Watchdogs seems to hit that stuff really hard, which is interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it is good that you'd be soft actually made this like real world London. Like it's not like a fake it's not like a fake altered reality London. It's not like a far criest ale America that's this little isolated pocket. It's like actually London and sort of extrapolating the current events and how they might evolve with a time is that's.
Speaker 4: A that's a pretty it's a good move.
Speaker 3: It's a I'm glad that go against their against unpolitical thing because this is the most definitely political and I'm not sure how much of a hand of the team themselves had.
Speaker 4: A role in that.
Speaker 3: It's a good way forward, though I think a lot of a lot of the writing out there sort of notes that it is that they can only say so much because they are limited by being an Ubisoft game. You know, it's a game where you'll have to you know, raid out posts and do that kind of stuff. There's only so much you can do with that formula to to sort of support your message of you know, collective action. And rising up and so on and so forth, and I yeah, I do share a lot of the sentiment out there that wishes there was more actually more teamwork in this game, because even though you are collecting a lot of people, you are doing a lot of these missions solo. And it's like I was saying before, everyone can kind of do everything, and there isn't a sense of characters supporting each other with their own skills. I think I think I read this in Austin Walker's article on VI, which is really good, and yeah, like not having a way to sort of embody that collective action in the in terms of the gameplaying mechanics, it feels like a missed opportunity, but hopefully something that can come out once you know, someone who isn't behold into the Ubisoft Open World mold can do.
Speaker 4: Something like this. You know, we'll see. I think it's a good, good step forward, especially for Triple A games, you know that in that kind of sector needs to take baby steps.
Speaker 1: The premise itself seems like an indie like, it doesn't seem like something from a Triple A game, Like you can play as any character any of these dumb looking NPCs. You can be other than watch Dogs. I've also played ghost Runner. It came out the other day, and that game is real good. It looks great on PC two with ray tracing and max settings and all that it. I think Blessing tweeted it's basically Katana zero but in uh but three D, and I'd say that pretty much hits the nail on the head. But the music is good, the action is good. It's it's very difficult, lots of like try retry sort of like quick reloads because you're gonna die a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing it described as cyberpunk Mirror's Edge, which just to give people an idea of like kind of what it if you don't know it goes to more lethal.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, it looks great on gifts on Twitter. It seems like a lot like Titanfall. Titanfall had Katana is basically a lot of wall running.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of wall running, a lot of like jumping around. You can like slow down time and like dodge mid air, which is really cool. And there's a blink ability that like pretty much plays like Blink from uh Dishonored, except anyone in your line of sight just gets eviscerated. By your sword.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool. So it's like an injin basically.
Speaker 1: Basically it's cyberpunk ninjes Sin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what's the structure like is it like a stage based game or is it like trials.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, so it is stage based and that like when you finish an area, you get greeted with like a little scoreboard with your time, how many times you died, but usually there's like a there's like a that kind of has a through line through it, so when you finish the stage, you see the score thing, but then it just kind of loads you right into the next area. They don't feel disconnected. It just you know, in between areas, it's like here's your score, which normally would bug me, but considering this is a game all about being very quick and very careful and very stylish, stylish, I'm totally cool with that. And immediately, like after I did the first couple missions, I went back and started replaying them because it's like, Okay, now I've kind of got my reflexes down, I know what I'm doing, so I'm going to try to do this better and better and better.
Speaker 4: Cool, you're playing on PC.
Speaker 3: I'm playing on PC. Yeah, it feels like this kind of game might be a bit trickier on a controller.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I normally I like to play games with the controller on my PC because I'm a filthy casual. But with this game, I started up and I was like, I don't don't think I want to do a controller, And yeah, I can't imagine playing this on a controller. I also saw that some people were saying that it doesn't look too great on PS four. I haven't played on PS four. I haven't even seen footage of PS four. I don't know if that's true or not, but I can say that it is like stunning on PC.
Speaker 4: As most things are, as most things are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, if your PC can handle it. I had to cap the frame rate because it was chugging a little bit with my twenty eighty TI, which I was like, come on, don't do this to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a nine seventy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, this game might struggle a little bit. You could run it though.
Speaker 5: Oh actually that reminds me. I also started Amnesia Rebirth, so that's.
Speaker 2: The other game.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I only played an hour because I played it till I got too scared, had to turn it off and it was night time. You get it. It's exactly the same same as it very long as you got so far, except uhborn matches, so that's different. And matches are sometimes in like containers, so you pick up because it's always been really intense with the physics, like you could always pick up all like all kinds of crap and then turn it around and then put it back down because it's nothing to actually do with anything. But now you can like smash jars and then you might find like one match inside, which are essential. Otherwise you go crazy and see scary things.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna try and tough it out. I believe in you.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: I was scared to play forasmophobiaan i am, but I have overcome that, so maybe I can overcome my apprehension about amnesia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a god.
Speaker 2: They do such a good job though.
Speaker 5: Like it's still got like all of the power at just horror storytelling that Dark Scent did and Penumbra before that. They just really know what they're doing with just building like a narrative that they force you to watch because they just mess up your screen and like have the vo run over it. And yeah, and the immersive sort of things that just randomly happen to you.
Speaker 2: You just scare yourself.
Speaker 5: Though it's so smart with it doesn't need to throw zombies at you or do anything like that. Most of the time you'll be the most scared. It's just that you happen to be in the dark and you think you saw something. It's like not when something is in front of you growling. That is like the not scary part. They've just always been really clever at developing those kinds of games, and it's still really good so far.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, with that, we should probably talk about these new consoles. I think between all of us here, we should have an Xbox Series X and a PS five. Kelly, I know you got a PS five. I have an Xbox Series X ED. You have an Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X and PS five.
Speaker 3: I played at PS five at Sony's Officers. I don't actually have one physically, okay, but yeah, I'm winning basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Consoles huh yeah, So we can't actually talk about a whole lot. We can only talk about the box itself. We can't go into UI games, how they run, et cetera. We do have a lot of coverage of the Xbox Series X up in particular for the preview event, So if you're curious about low time and whatnot, you can check out some of those videos on game Spot. But for the retail units, we can't talk about a whole lot however, ed you can't talk about Astrobot, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, a PlayStation game, Yeah, astro Bot which Astro's Playroom rather, which is the sort of packing game for the PlayStation five is. It's an Astrobot game. So it's sort of like your three D platformer Mario style, like really really well designed gameplay flow. It's it's a game that keeps you, keeps you in it, like it keeps you moving forward and interacting with different mechanics and doing fun things all the time. It's very very charming. But this one is designed specifically as a showcase for the dual Sense controller, and what a showcase it is.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you had told me that I would get excited about a PS five controller and it's HD rumble like analog, I would not have believed you.
Speaker 4: But it is.
Speaker 3: It's it's really impressive, Like it's it's crazy how much subtlety and sort of all the different kind of sensations that it can communicate via your hands. So I guess one of the initial things, like even just simply running around at different surfaces will have a different sensation coming through coming through your hands, and it feels fun to just skid around on ice or like trudge in the sand or like swim in the water and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, no, it's really good. So basically what I can talk about is sort of the first stage, which is Cooling Springs, and there's a lot of footage of that out there, and that sort of takes you through. Yeah, it's set inside a PS five and so you'll go into like the SSD land and like Cooling spring this is the fan land, which is which is kind of neat, And actually this whole thing is sort of a an homage to PlayStation history, so like a lot of the collectibles you'll find in the world are like bits and pieces from PlayStation PlayStations sort of product lineup over the past twenty five so like a pocket station or like weird things like that.
Speaker 4: And that's that's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: But anyway, in Cooling Springs, it's like a beach beachy slash icy area, and you'll be doing a lot of like swimming and like the pulling of like little cables on the ground.
Speaker 4: But the standout bit was a bit where you get into a frog suit. You jump into a frog suit, use the touch pad to.
Speaker 3: Zip it up, and then you it then turns into a two D side scrolling sort of like a like a like a like a springing game where you control a frog by making it jump, and to do that you press and hold the triggers. And the thing with the dual sense is that those triggers can provide resistance, and so as you're pushing down on the swing, you can feel the control of fighting you as you sort of build that kinetic energy and then release it. And so you're using the motion of the dual sense to try and angle the angle of your jumps and then adjust the strength to suit and make tricky jumps from moving platforms and get coins to get up and that kind of good stuff. And you know, being an ash of by game, it's it's really easy to breeze through, but you want to explore and find all the bits and pieces, which which I didn't really do. I actually played through the demo twice and on the second time doing the frog thing, I could feel my fingers like physically getting tired from like having to fight these bloody triggers like for you know, twenty minutes. So it's it's really impressive. And I've been told that you can adjust the the strength of them universally, so if you, you know, don't have as much strength in your fingers, you can take that down.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's that. It's very impressive.
Speaker 3: And just things like walking into a wind tunnel and like like feeling the controller like fight you. It's it's crazy, It's and just not something I ever thought I would be impressed by. And yeah, this this feels like a next gen thing, Like it feels like something I couldn't get on the Jewel Shock and not even on the switches HD rumble Like this is this feels way way more fleshed out version of that. And I really hope that third parties like actually make use of it. It sounds like some of them are, because there's some talk of the developers of death Loop using the triggers to like sort of replicate the experience of a gun jamming on you, and that would be really cool. And if that all that self follows through after launch, like play Attition will be like a really good place to play a lot of these games just to see what they do with it.
Speaker 2: Astro's playroom seems kind of like from this initial look that we're talking about, the Cooling Springs area seems kind of like a proof of concept that we sports was where it's just like, here's actually the potential of why this is fun and why this is interesting and why like it should be utilized, and hearing you talk about it, it just makes me like really want to play a lot more, just because I haven't had the time to really check out the PS five and the the depth that I want to unfortunately, and tonight was going to be my big night where I like broke it out and like I actually sat down and played and some just really really excited hearing you talk about it, because I am not usually the I'm really not the person that's like I care so much about four K it's gonna look so good, Like my eyes don't really work great anyway, so I like don't care. But the controller sensations and how that can affect gameplay is definitely very interesting to me and not something that you know at first blush I was super interested in. But yeah, just hearing you talk about it gets me very excited.
Speaker 1: Well, Kelly, since you have opened the PS five, you've looked at it, do you have any preliminary thoughts on the look of the box?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I thought it was going to be stark white. It's not. I that's the first thing. The first thing that I noticed was that there is kind of gray, like it's a lightish gray, and I from every press photo even from the box, like the box it comes in, I thought it was going to be like stark white and it is not. Also, the detail on the controller that it's all like x's and o's and squares and triangles on the underside of the controller is very cute. I would not have noticed if we hadn't posted a tweet about that, But I thought that was cool. And it is so incredibly heavy. I thought standing up it would be easy to knock over, especially like if you have like a cat or something that's like gonna fuck with you. But like it's very very heavy and pretty pretty sturdy. Those are my like big takeaways. I'm kind of nervous that the controller is going to get gross really quickly, not that I'm like eating cheetahs and playing games. That's a really good point.
Speaker 5: But like if you had like a makeup on your hands, like anyone who uses fake tan and stuff, that's gonna get messed up.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even just sweat I build up like all those little like rivets, it will trap that stuff and it will start to look gross. So you will need to get like a nail brosh or something and just like scrub your control. Every once in a while, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a white mouse form my PC, and I regret getting a white mass from my when I saw the all white, like like, I know everyone wants a black PS five and I'm there, but like I didn't think i'd carry that much until I really thought about it. And it's like, yeah, it's gonna get dirty real fast. And it's like another reason why I was more interested in the Series X over the Series S is because it's not white, and I don't need to worry about the control turning a brownish white color after after you know, a couple of years of use. Because like this Xbox One controller I've here, I've been using for years and it is kind of gross, but it would I'm sure would look a lot grosser if it was white. Yeah, hey, but maybe I'd get rid of it sooner. Maybe that's the plan used by New and Sports.
Speaker 2: The capitalism angle. No it, yeah, like the weird yellowing of not black electronics is not my favorite feature of those colors. For sure. Yes, that was my main worry. But I was honestly very surprised at the color I did not. I like it. It's like a just a very very light gray. I'm probably the only person that cares about that, because I think most people care if it's either white or black. They're not like, oh, it's light gray my favorite. But I sat there and looked at it for a while, and I was like, are my eyes okay? Should I change the lighting? I took it to a different room. I like held up a piece of paper next to it, just to like verify for myself. Yeah, I really, I went through like the five stages of grief trying to figure out what color it was.
Speaker 1: I had to white balance your eyes? Yeah, what about like fingerprints? Do you see a lot of fingerprints on the box? Though I'm touching it.
Speaker 3: The white panels are I think they should be okay? But the black bit in the middle is a dust magnet. Absolutely, Oh really, it will be a finger I think it will be a fingerprint magnet if you touch that area, and I think they want you to touch that area, but you probably will because you don't plug a us BA stuff into it.
Speaker 2: You can take the panels off, but I wouldn't because they are very fingerprint dust resistant kind of material for sure.
Speaker 3: So I think I gotta say the porte sort of location on the front of the p S five, it's just it's just a little bit weird. It's just like in the middle, you know, it's like there's it doesn't seem like there's been a lot of thought into like the stylings of that, but maybe there has been. It's just you're just looking at a behemoth of a console and there's just like a USB port right in the middle of it staring at you like a tiny eye.
Speaker 1: Which probably talk a little bit about the Xbox Series X and S as well. Unfortunately I don't have a Series S, but I see one back there in your in your background, Ed.
Speaker 4: I thought this was an audio only podcast.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: We like to narrate for the audience an old timey radio show.
Speaker 1: Basically Ed's pulling and Phil Spencer here where he's got consoles hidden behind him in places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Whereas the PS five was like when I first saw it, I was like, damn, that thing is big, Like it's bigger than I even thought. The S is like wow, that's actually smaller than I thought, and it's it's really cool, like you hold in one hand.
Speaker 4: It's light.
Speaker 3: I think it's like two kilos, which is like I don't know how many pounds that is. That's like one and a half pounds or something like that.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I was like, I don't know how much.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's like yeah, four pounds.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of pounds. It's a lot smaller than you think it is. It's it's very sleek. It's like, honestly, it's just a white box and it's very bright white compared to the p's five, and it's it's just really striking like that. Like my wife saw it, it's like wow, they actually make nice looking consoles now. It's like, yeah, this Yeah, if I wasn't like into like games, I didn't have to like buy all these consoles, like this would be the only one I would consider like putting in my house. Yeah, and it's really small. It's really cool neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really adorable.
Speaker 5: I don't have one, but my housemate Eddie mackew has one, and it's like I was like, this is so cute, which is a really weird way to describe a console, but it's adorable.
Speaker 2: It's so small, it's so cute. I agree with you, And I would like if I isn't gonna be getting a variety of consoles like that would be the one I would choose, just from an aesthetic perspective, just because it's like, it's just nice and neat. It goes with everything we were talking about white technology. But I do like the look of it despite that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's just hope it doesn't yellow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, then we also have the Series X, which once again we can't say too much about other than how it looks and whatnot, which I'm sure people are very familiar with the size of this console what it looks like, because once again that was sent out early for preview. GameSpot has videos on the size of this box. But having held it for the first time, you know, the other day, pretty much, I was pretty impressed. Like it is heavy, but it feels very compact if that makes sense. Like it. It feels like it is about as big or is about as small as it could possibly be with everything in there, which is something I really like. I really like the design of it, these sort of just obelisk fridge like shape. I really like. I know people like to meme on it, but I think it's great.
Speaker 3: You have to use two hands to pick it up. You can't do it one handed, which is the only bumba for me. Like as it's the measure of it, it needs a GameCube panel on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like that's an accessory someone should miss.
Speaker 2: Is that, Like, is this a portability concern or just like an overall like this is your metric for a good size for a piece of technology.
Speaker 4: Just a portability concern.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, when you're moving stuff, you want to have one in each hand, you know, make the most most efficient use of your time and going back and forth too many times. But the Xbox can pick it up, the two hands gonna move it safely because otherwi is gonna drop it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're going to your land party that we're totally allowed to have right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say it does seem to attract thumb prints or fingerprints and whatnot more than I expected considering its map. It's not super bad. But as I was moving it around and stuff, I did, you know, like shown in a certain way, and I was like, oh, yeah, I'm already getting fingerprints on that. I want to get rid of that if I can.
Speaker 2: I just gleaned this from the box, so correct me if I'm wrong. But is the D pad so more similar to the Xbox Elite controllers D pad where it's like eight directional instead of a four directional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like a hybrid, isn't It's it's called the circular pad, but it has the four directional protrusions to make more precise movements on the full way, which I which quite like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that too. That's the attachment I have on my Elite controller because I'm I am a true gamer and I purchased that for my own youth and uh I So when I saw that on the box, I was like, oh, this looks exactly the same except for my fancy attachment on my elak controller. But it's part of the regular, not elite version. And that's all I noticed so far, aside from the part it looks like a computer tower, and I have no opinion on that whatsoever. I'm not the kind of person who's gonna get worked up about that and be like it looks like a fridge, Do not care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the box itself was pretty cool, like it opens up and then the yeah, it's wrapped like a Christmas present too, and around it is power your Dreams, and I'm like, wow, Xbox, I can't wait to power my dreams.
Speaker 1: Shut this into my head while I sleep.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say you could tell her all star for social interactions that that made me emotional, like, oh, power your dreams, thank you? Like, oh no, God.
Speaker 1: Well, we do have some questions that we're going to get to that people submitted on discord. But before we do that, there's one more piece of news that is worth talking about. I don't know how much we're going to talk about it, just because we've talked about a very similar piece of news about three times now in this podcast. But Cyberpunk got delayed again. It's coming out December tenth now. Originally was supposed to be November nineteenth. Before that, I was supposed to be September seventh, and before that it was supposed to be PAP for sixteenth.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. I cannot wait.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go to a shop and buy a physical copy of Cyberpunk, unhook my console on the internet, and play the one point zero version.
Speaker 4: I want to see how bad it is.
Speaker 1: That's actually that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Because, yeah, it went gold a while ago, a couple of weeks ago. Even until the day before they delayed, they were telling people on Twitter that yes, it's not getting delayed again. It got delayed because they are trying to optimize the game for many different consoles, which sounds like a big task to accomplish if you think about it, right, because the Witcher launched on three platforms, PC, PS four, Xbox one, but this thing is launching for PlayStation four, PlayStation four, Pro, PlayStation five, Xbox one, Xbox one, x Xbox Series, x Xbox Series, s PC and like it's a long Yeah, thanks for reminding me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, that's what they said in their post, right that, like it was really just for those final tweaks. It they even addressed in that post, like because the big question is, like, really three weeks is that going to get you what you need, and they were like, we realized that that doesn't sound like a lot of time, but it is, so we'll see again.
Speaker 4: It is when no one can go home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, thiks surprise to all developers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I personally was very relieved by this news because it was going to be a lot of extra work to get that done on top of you know, the hardware reviews that were doing for the next gen consoles and the launch titles. So just from a purely like work standpoint being a reviews editor, it was like, oh, thank god, one list thing to worry about right now. But obviously I am more concerned for I hope this doesn't mean like you're working eighty eight hours a week to do this final push. But we've talked a lot about that topic, so we don't want to talk about it anymore. Really.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know how much more there is to add about this apart from what they've said, what we've said before. I mean, I'm disappointed, but like, I don't know, it's three weeks. I'll survive. Don't message developers about how angry you are, because that's messed up. And I saw a lot of that on Twitter. I know no one listening to this podcast would do that, but tell your friends who might do that not to do that, because that's real fucked up. They already have to work a lot. They're putting their heart and soul into this game, so just relax. It'll come so we'll be able to play it.
Speaker 3: In twenty seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll be back with some listener questions about those boxes. And we are back with listener questions. If you have any questions, you can email us at after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com, or you can join our discord by dming myself and we will get you right in there. Questions this week are all from discord because earlier today I put out a message saying, hey, if you have any Series X or PS five questions, let me know. I can't answer a lot of them, but here are the ones we can answer, which may not be the most exciting ones, but here we go anyway. The first one is from garyless Gambit CALLI do you want to read this one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Just like opening a new game case and getting that fresh plastic smell. Does the Xbox series S and or X and PS five have that good plastic smell, you know, Garyless Gambit. I must admit I did not smell it. I did all the other senses were covered. I didn't take the time to smell it. No, I did not. I did not thought that good plastic taste. I'm very glad you caught that. No. I did not taste it either.
Speaker 1: But I smelled the Xbox when I opened it. It smelled like new tech smell. I was like, Oh, this is good, this.
Speaker 3: Is There's no the Xbox doesn't have any film to peel off the which is very disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you're right. I didn't even think about that, not even like on the button, you know, because you know how sometimes.
Speaker 2: Like on the h you love that good new tech film. But film no, oh did.
Speaker 1: I mean? The film industry stopped doing it a while.
Speaker 4: Ago, so it's more environmentally friendly.
Speaker 2: So sure, I was going to say the At least from what I could tell, the PS five packaging was particularly like geared towards sustainability. That is, the the vibe that you get from like the feel of the materials. It's hard to explain it just like feels compostable. That it's not helpful that's not scientific at all.
Speaker 1: But yes, yeah, I mean I will say that the package, and we talked about a little bit, but like opening up the box, it was very well packaged, like it had its a little spot where it kind of was elevated a little bit and you can just pull it out and unwrap it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there isn't that thing of pulling out like different hunks of cardboard to get to what you need. Like everything is there, the corporals there, and behind it there's like a little like can t like box package that you can just flip open and grab your controller and very.
Speaker 4: Accessible, very easy to rebox too. Definitely, you know for some reason.
Speaker 1: You'd have to do that if you whether or not you want to move it or you bought it and you want to sell it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like probably worth keeping the boxes this summer round, you're.
Speaker 2: Doing that like Christmas eve thing where you install the firmware software updates for your kid or whatever for the recipient, then you repackage it. I think that's the PS five packaging was the hunks of cardboard for sure.
Speaker 1: Next question here is from Bob Jones nineteen eighty question can both consoles be easily placed on their sides with the Xbox Series X. Yeah, you can just I don't know, make sure you got the it's lined up with the rubber feet and you can just move it however you'd like.
Speaker 2: The PS five, you have to. Yeah, there's instructions for like different ways to orient the base, and like you can't just you're not supposed to prop it up either on its side or standing up without the base. And it was a little It wasn't confusing, it was just a little tricky because you have to like rotate it a certain way and there's a secret compartment compartment with a screw in it, and then you have to rotate it the correct way for if you want the PS five standing up, and if you want it on its side, you then have to rotate it a different way. And so it was. It was one of those like some assembly required things and I had to get a screwdriver from my dad to get the base installed. But I would probably say put it on it's it's a standing up. Put it on it standing up, make it stand up, because that that just seems more natural. The side one just to me doesn't feel as as good. There's just something off about the vibe of it to me.
Speaker 1: Next one from Carbon how how ugly really is the PS.
Speaker 2: Five it is? You know it's it's not horrible. I really didn't. I would talked about how much I disliked the PS five a lot. I think when we first saw its appearance, it does kind of look like a an ultra modern skyscraper in a way. I saw a tweet saying it looked like gentrification, which I thought was very funnyer But honestly, I really like the like gray color of it, and I don't hate it. It's not my favorite that the it's no series S. Let's just say that, all right.
Speaker 1: Last question, here's from Jacob McCourt. What are they must have key accessories that we should have ready for the PS five and Xbox one X sorry, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. I mean as for the Xbox, I mean, I think this is one of the first Xboxes that doesn't come with like a crappy headset. It just doesn't have a headset. So if you if you plan on playing online, make sure you've got a headset. Now, obviously it's got a regular what is it, three point five millimeter headphone jacks, So if you already have one of those your set, but if you want to like upgrade your headset for these new consoles, that's something I would consider. And then the other big thing for the xboxes too are the little storage expansion cards, because the Series X has one terror byte which ends up around eight hundred I think Michael said in his preview, and then the Series S has five hundred and twelve gigabytes, which that one in particular probably needs that storage expansion card.
Speaker 4: You get a play in Charge kit.
Speaker 3: They you got double A batteries again, so once those run out, you'll need to buy more batteries, which is very environmentally unfriendly.
Speaker 4: So you got to play in Charge kit.
Speaker 1: That's a good one too. That's a really good one.
Speaker 2: For the PS five, they have a headset, although the like three D audio I think works with any headset, so you don't need to get that branded one probably, you know. The Dual Sense obviously is like similar to the dual Shock, and that it charges if you don't like keeping it plugged into the PS five. The PS five is far away from where you're sitting, a charging doc is probably useful. I would say I found that was like one thing I never got for my PS four that I always like, really like. That was always on my list and I just never got around to it, and then it was like, oh, the PS five is coming out, it's too late now, but I have one for the PS five, and I would say that's a handy thing, so you don't have to like sit around really close to the TV if you want to keep playing or wait for the controller to charge.
Speaker 1: And before we close out, one last thing I want to remind people of is GameSpot Extra Life. GameSpot staff will be doing our annual seventy two hour stream of PLZA starting November twentieth at twelve pm Pacific. We'll be streaming with various members of the game Spot staff and friends to help raise money for UCSF Benny Off Children's Hospital. You can check out our extra Life page at tiny dot cc slash gs Extra Life twenty twenty. We'll be updating it with more details such as schedule closer to the event. You can also stream with us as well if you'd like to join our stream team, and you can do that by by going to tiny dot, cc slash gs Extra Life team and we'll update people in the discord and whatnot, so if you want to catch some community streams, head over there and we'll make sure to promo those. But yeah, that's been episode sixty five of GameSpot After Dark. Thank you all so much for listening, and thank you guys for joining me this week. Kelli, where can people find you and what are you working on?
Speaker 6: You can find me on Twitter at inky dojico I n k y d o j I kkoh, and I will be working on a ton of next gen coverage, mostly reviews, so be sure to read game Spot reviews.
Speaker 2: As always, That's what I say every week.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Ed you can find me on Twitter at Edmund Tran.
Speaker 3: Don't know what's coming up after this week, but I'll still be talking about games on Twitter like a regular person.
Speaker 5: And Jess, you can find me on Twitter where I'm at Jess McDonald. I also am twitch streaming again, and I posted a video to YouTube in the first time in two years, for which I was roasted, which is fair enough. But yeah, I'm in and around. I don't know where I'm going to be in a few weeks, but keep an eye out because.
Speaker 2: There'll be something. Yeah, thanks for having us. We'll miss you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to miss working with both of you so much.
Speaker 3: It's a shame we couldn't have one final E three this year, but oh well in our hearts and minds and now E three instead.
Speaker 5: So honestly, like this group of people is so amazing, Like locally, every iteration of the Games Australian office has been great. When I joined, we were seven and at this point where three with our little borrowed American who will be going home at the end of the year, and it's just been fantastic. It's just the best group of people, the most talented group of people like across the world. And yeah, I mean we've had a lot of good times. We've had a lot of drinks, we've had a lot of crazy tgs's that were really good three times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, TGS was definitely a regular highlight when that happened. I remember my first TGS when Ricardo Torres was still editor, and that was just an eye open experience to hang with the GameSpot Live team and like Ryan McDonald and all those guys and just felt like a trial by fire because those guys worked so hard and they played really hard as well, and I just enjoyed having getting to do that traveling and meeting a bunch of new people through the ages, through the decade, and yeah, there hasn't been a dud in the bunch. Everyone against Spot is wonderful and it's been a dream, and it's been a dream for it's been.
Speaker 4: A really long dream.
Speaker 3: And I'm really lucky that I got to do that for like twelve years.
Speaker 4: So yeah, grateful if nothing else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna give yourself a little bit of a break ed after twelve year.
Speaker 3: Look, new consoles just came out, dude, Like it's like, I'm not going to stop playing games just because I don't work for games anymore, but I will. I will enjoy the freedom to play more of what I want rather than what I need to play. So finally gonna go to that back catalog maybe, but probably not.
Speaker 1: Well, play more into the breach.
Speaker 5: It'll be such a different relationship with games if we don't end up back in some kind of games media. It's just it's been so long of like not having that guilt. When I go back and play Heroes three four months of the year again, we'll just be like, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 4: All right, good times, good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah we did good.
Speaker 3: The soon