Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Good morning to you, Happy Monday. It's Memorial Day. I hope you're thinking about those that gave everything their life for us to be able to enjoy. And barbecue is right at the center of that. Something about grilling. Actually, we don't tend to barbecue a lot. We tend to grill. Grill is high heat, you know, and with the meat at room temperature, will it be okay? We're gonna get back to that. He doesn't know this, but Jeff, Curtis Stone and I had a killer argument this morning. Poor Amy's trying to keep us apart stall gentlemen, gentlemen, And I'll be honest, Amy, I felt like, because he's handsome and tall and really talented.
Speaker 2: You were siding with him.
Speaker 1: You're kind of pushing me aside, like like you weren't really pushing him, like if he took a swipe at me, you would have been okay with that.
Speaker 3: Well, possibly, but I will also say that you have never cooked me a steak, and Curtis Stone cooked me a steak.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm not saying that my steak is going to be like Curtistone's steak. What I will tell you here, I'll tell you you know what, and will you do me a favor. You run this in to Amy a private note. No run this into Amy for thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the whole beef we got into was because the beef was that Curtistone said that you should take meat up.
Speaker 1: That's the try tip that I made for my boy and me the other day.
Speaker 2: Again, you've never cooked this for me.
Speaker 1: Well, no you're not, my boy.
Speaker 2: That's true, is.
Speaker 3: The Curtis Stone said to bring it up to room temperature. And then I went to go back because Neil took such Umbridge exception Umbridge bridge to what he said. I went back and listen to it again to make sure that I had it right.
Speaker 4: If you were to feel it, you'd feel it's at room temperature. So that's important. So it's called tempering the beef because you want the inside to get beautifully pink. You don't want to be gray on the outside right in the middle, and you know so medium ray can mean lots of different things, but for us, tempering the meat's important. If you let it come up to room tempera shop, it'll cook much more evenly.
Speaker 1: There you go, and I call bs now tempering in cooking of any kind of temper chocolate, and you're getting it up to a particular temperature so that it reacts a certain way. Right, So I hear I've heard Bobby Flay say this, I've heard mini chefs, So it's not to chef Crews Stone, who's obviously a chef. I am not. My strengths are on the science side of these things and my interest in that when it comes to food prep and all of that. So when I take exception to that, it's because you cannot get a one inch steak to room temperature in a time that is safe for that steak. What you can do is you can warm the outside. The outside will be what you want on a steak to be able to get a seer on. It is a dry steak. So that's why we talk about keeping, you know, uncovering your turkey the night before and leaving it in the refrigerator. It'll dry the skin out and that's going to give you crispy, wonderful skin. So thinking through this, yes, that is for the seer and you don't want the fight. As I said, between heat pushing its way to the center of the steak. The only way you will ever get a full medium rare steak. The only way is just souv it, because you souv it at one temperature and it will only be that temperature except for the seer when you take it out and you see it on both sides. When you see it on both sides, yes, it will get slightly cooked at a higher temperature on the outside, but the entire steak other than that will be medium rare. You cannot do that. You cannot do that in any other way but a suv. Now, if you if you take a cold steak out of a thirty five degree refrigerator thirty eight degree whatever yours is that and you go to cook it, you still have to pat it dry. You put your rub on it or your me I like salt and pepper, good salt and pepper. If you're Brazilian, you're gonna use just salt. You know they're Chilaska is are you know? Just salt. So all these methods are going to cook slightly differently. But what you're not going to do is ever get the interior temperature of that steak to that room to room temperature by leaving it out, it's because it's going to be longer than two hours, and two hours is the kill time now, so I think he's just now, you're tempering the outside, but you're not tempering the inside. I can sit here and have this conversation with somebody for two hours and with a probe thermometer in the center of a one inch steak, and that thing is not getting to seventy one degrees. It's just not.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe he was saying because he's talking about tempering it if you go back, because he said, if you feel it, it feels room temperature. So maybe he's talking about just getting it kind of taking the edge off of it and not trying to get it all the way through the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's talking about getting the edge off of it. But they continue and I say, chefs over and over continue to say, get it to room temperature, and you are not. The second dairy test that was done was they did one straight from the refrigerator, and this is serious eats and Kenji Lopez Alt, an award winning author and cook who wrote God What's the Name of the book, kitchen Lab. Something Lab talks about how there was almost zero difference between the two because what's done at long like people will say, oh, I drink hot water in the morning for X, Y and Z, and I said, cold water and hot water become the exact same temperature in your body because your body is looking for stasis. I mean, it's it's looking to it's it's it's once to bring it to body temperature. So when you put a piece of meat out, the air wants to bring that piece of meat to room temperature, and that cold piece of meat wants to bring the room to thirty five degrees. The room will win. But food Lab, thank you, nono. The room will win. But it's going to take a long time to explain this even further. He's going to put that steak, you say, over a flame that is five to seven hundred degrees and it's only going to be one twenty five, one thirty in the center because that's going to be medium rare. So you're putting on a five hundred to seven degrees a seven hundred degree grill and it's only going to go to one twenty or one. And you're telling me that at seventy one degrees. You're gonna bring it a thirty five degree steak in two hours. And I'm calling bs, that's all. But he's a he's a chef. I'm not. It's just skuyance. Sorry.
Speaker 2: I love that this gets you so riled.
Speaker 1: Amy, what don't Jimmy started?
Speaker 4: If you still you'd feel it's a room tempera chef, So that's important.
Speaker 2: So it's good tempering the beef because.
Speaker 4: You want the inside to get beautifully pink. You don't want to be gray on the outside right in the middle of you know, so medium ray can mean lots of difference.
Speaker 1: You can say something about my mom and it probably inspired me up halfway.
Speaker 4: Let it come up to room tempera shop.
Speaker 1: It'll cook much more evenly. All right, Hey, Happy Monday to you. I hope you're having a thoughtful, appreciative and fun Memorial Day weekend. And those of you that are listening, maybe you're out prepping that. Yeah, it early enough. I mean, if you're smoking something, you probably got up way earlier, like you know everybody else on the show. But I will tell you that it's a great day. A little overcasty right now, but it'll probably burn off and it'll be a great day. I like actually grilling in this weather personally, so handles out. But the morning shows here Neil Savedra at your service, Happy to be with you. We're talking about barbecuing, grilling. There is a difference. You know, it's a memorial day. But Amy did it out and about on wake up call with Curtis Stone, who undeniably ridiculously gifted man looks department. I mean, I could do without the fake accent. I think, wasn't he from Brooklyn?
Speaker 2: Is not from Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, okay? So but you know, good looking, he's got he's kind of got it all. So it's annoying. But we were talking about certain misnomers that are taught over and over in things that we say, like searing in the juices. You don't sear in the juices. It's impossible to sear in the juices, so I don't understand that. Or we say things like let it rest. What does that mean? You know, you don't let it rest if it's if it's carne asada, So what does letting it rest mean? What happens is you're dealing with a muscle when you're cooking a meat protein, the heat makes it constrict. So part of what Chef Curtistone was describing to Amy is a really neat process of putting it on and putting it off. And Amy, you said that he doesn't let it rest afterwards. He lets it rest in between during.
Speaker 2: The cooking target.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put it on the grill, cook it for a few minutes, and then you take it off and let it rest, and then you put it back on, take it off, let it rest, and then put it on finished cooking it, and then it's pretty much ready to go.
Speaker 1: So that's fascinating. So when you cook something with a SUV, which means under pressure you put it in, it's basically poaching it in a plastic bag, vacuum sealed bag to a specific temperature, a lower temperature for longer periods of time, so it's all one temperature. It doesn't need to rest. The reason why you let something rest is because the constricting stops at a certain point. If the muscle is still constricting because of the heat, you cut it, it's going to squeeze all the juice out and you're gonna have more juice on the plate than you are in the steak so that stops at one hundred and twenty degrees period. So if somebody says let it rest for five minutes, that means nothing, because if it's a thick steak or a try tip, that's going to be a different time for the center of that try tip to get to one twenty where it stops constricting. That's the science of what why you let it rest. It's not like, wow, I'm it was so tired because it's been cooking the whole time and needs to rest. Or when you let you know, like my mom when she would make homemade flour tortillas, she'd let them rest in the refrigerator. Now, the reason you do that there's only a couple of ingredients in tortillas. I don't even know she knows this, But you let them rest so that the liquid the wet ingredients can imbibe or the dry ingredients can be imbibed by the wet ingredients, and for the proteins to settle. So the resting has a purpose that is different for each thing that you're doing. So when somebody says let it rest, really what you're doing is whatever temperature you got it to. Let's say medium, rare at one thirty five. You have to wait till that steak gets to one twenty in the thickest part before you cut it. Otherwise it's going to squeeze all the juices out. And then, Anne, you asked me a question of the difference between charcoal and gas. Okay, the only reason to use gas for the most part is convenience. Now gas has gotten to the point where they have like special drip pans down below, and what happens is the bits and pieces of the juices and stuff fall down hit that they steam and then smoke, and that smoke comes out and gives little bit of extra flavor. Otherwise, really, it's just it's just heat. It's just a heat. So when I want to cook something quickly and I go grill, I do that. When i want to get the best flavor out of something, I've got my big green egg. The big green egg is going to it's ceramic, it's going to hold in the heat. It's over lump charcoal, So it's over wood that has been burned at a certain temperature so that it will burn and hold heat. And that flame is going to come up and it's going to interact with the drippings in a way that you just can't on a gas grill. So you're going to get that smoke in that flavor and you can go low and slow in a different way. If I want smoke on my gas grill, I have a drawer that I put chips in. I am a fan of pecan, the good folks in Orange County. Why am I blanking right now on the woodshed out there in Orange County? It taught me that they're great folks over there, sharp gourmet woods, all of the stuff. They're just wonderful people. They have a competitive team in barbecuing, and they turned me on a pecan and I've never looked back. It's just wonderful. But I can put it in a drawer, soak the chips so that they smoke more. But that's really the difference. Now. A lot of people use brick charcoal, and what you don't want is brick charcoal that you know lights fast in the sense that they have chemicals in it, lighter fluid it's imbibed. That stuff is nasty. Using lighter fluid is nasty. It's going to make everything taste horrible. You want to be able to light them naturally. They have starter kits that have some wax in it and that works great. Those are really really good, and you can buy those at your local. You know, most places have them that have any barbecue place, but barbecue stuff out there, but you don't want chemical tastes or anything like that. So that's really the difference. They've gotten better. The technology is pretty insane on gas grills. Now they have infrared technology for searing at high temps where kiss rey is also great. There's all those things that are great, but nothing's going to compete over a live wood burning flame. And so brick charcoal or chunk charcoal. That stuff is all wood and there's just nothing like it. It just the way heats all of that. Anyways, we're all here. I hope that you are with family together on Memorial Day weekend being reminded of those that have given their all. And you know what, in addition to that, it's one thing the person the men and women that dedicated their lives and gave their lives to our freedom and our liberties here in the United States. But let us not forget the families that were left without them. They also sacrificed by you know, trusting and loving the people and their family. When they said, hey, I want to cause filled life and I want to do something for my country and went out and you know, did that. There's a lot to be thankful for it. Today, for sure, we got on this kick. We actually had, I mean, God bless Anne. We had sending stories back and forth yesterday and everything and kind of went sideways. But now I'm on, you know, kicked in my folk reporter and someone told me, I told what was it on the talk back that I took Bill Handle's argue everything pills this morning? Why does he leave those and not the La Michtel. We could have all taken a La Michdel to see what it feels like to be handle. I would it feel dangerous? Yeah, I don't think I'd want that very long. That'd be a weird high. So I want to talk about a super tender steak. Maybe you're gonna be grilling today, hanging out with family, so we might as well do this for a little bit. Uh, A super tender steak an ingredient I mean, I not think about now. I'm talking like London broil. So it is a super underdog when it comes to the steak world, not exactly you know, flashy like the t bone that has multiple cuts there and you know that's fantastic fil a mignon, although some chefs find the filet mignon boring because it lee you know, it's so lean.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love a good flow. I do like milts like butter in your mouth. I mean too, they're really expensive ones generally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can be. I you know, I did Chateau Brian once as part of the Thanksgiving which is the loin uh, and it's I think it's lovely, but some some people put poet because it's really there's not much to it and there's no fat in it and all of that. But the London broil, it's it's different. It's an absolutely an under dog there. So but it can be delicious. But this is super easy way to make it. That so lunder broil.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's not really a specific cut of meat. It's kind of more of a method of sorts. But you usually see it with tougher cuts like a flank steak or a top round that type of thing. Lots of folks you get it because it's you know, it can be and so then people go, I don't want to do that. They marinate for hours. But here's another thing. I'm dispelling so many myths and people are going to be ticked off at me. Marinating mostly does nothing, so people get freaked out when I say that. But with a thin cut like flank steak, yeah, great, flap steak, great, chicken, seafood great. But for big thick cuts of meat, it's not even permeating a sixteenth of an inch. It's not going deep enough. It's just not so that you put it in there for days and days hoping that it's going to do something, and it really it really doesn't. So you use baking soda, Yeah, same stuff in your fridge, make everything smell good, cookies, all that stuff just aut a tiny bit to your marinate and you're talking less than a tea sapoon here. And it the pH on the outside of the meat is going to change, and it makes the proteins relax instead of clinch up when they cook. It's all science, that's the whole thing. It's like, yes, there's a lot of art to it, but there is science to the way things heat and the way proteins react. So it makes them relax and it's called velveting. Now. You know when you go have Chinese food with chicken in it and stuff and beef, and you go, why is this so tender? And I can't get mine? That's velveting Chinese food. They always velvet their proteins, their meat proteins, which makes cheaper cuts more tender. And so like when you just throw chicken cuts in there, you go, it's just not the same. But it's this velveting process and the result is super tender steak and it only needs to marinate for an hour. That's it. So this day on day, so you to marinad simple marinad together soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic, and you get this tangy, lovely simple marinade and you put it in a bag together for an hour or so. And once it's marinad, you put in cast iron skillet. Give it hot, nice and hot, Give it a good seer. This is not going to toughen it up.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The baking soda is doing what it does. It's magic. And after resting for a few minutes, slice it thin and again resting it until it gets to one twenty slice it thin against the grain. This is also going to have it pull apart in your mouth, and it's juicy, flavorful, and it's so there's a little something for you. How's that for your effort if you're working like we are, Thanks for hanging out with us. Got Amy King from wake up Call starting at five am every Monday through Friday. We've got Cono who's here just to be a pain in my ass, and Anne who basically babysits and makes all of this stuff happen. A little bit of every little cat hurting a little yeah, a little bit of everything. So Amy was listening to the news and you talking about the box office numbers and they're going gangbusters, and it's a good thing because you know, there's a lot of problems going on when it comes to Hollywood things going on here locally, but also since the pandemic, they have not popped back by any stretch. So it's kind of a big deal to have such a big box box office weekend as we lead into summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was interesting to see that Lilo and Stitch, which is the live action version of Disney's fabulous animated version.
Speaker 2: Movie which I just watched yesterday, by the way as hell.
Speaker 3: Huh. Yeah, it's lovely and it is killing it at the box office. One hundred and eighty three million dollars in the US so far this weekend and three hundred and forty two million globally, So that's like the best box office Memorial Day weekend start ever.
Speaker 1: And what did Mission Impossible twelve do?
Speaker 2: So it was actually I think it's the eighth installment.
Speaker 1: No, it's I think it's one hundred and second.
Speaker 3: The Final Reckoning. Yeah, this is like Shares Farewell Tour, right, yeah, Okay, the Final reconting took in seventy seven million, so Lailo and Stitch more than doubled it. But it's still the best opening for one of these movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me get this straight. So you're Tom Cruise he I think is ninety two ninety ninety right? Oh stop? Well, I mean the for an Alien. I don't know how to translate that to our years, but whatever. So he's getting up there in age. He does all his own stunts. I don't know, is he's upside down on a plane or he swallows a plane in this one and then passes it.
Speaker 3: And does all his stunts himself, swallows that plane by his he produces these things.
Speaker 1: You say it's the eighth one. I'm gonna trust you you're a newsperson. But they he does all this stuff, puts his life on the line, and a cgi blue furry alien beats him. I mean, how do you go back to scientology with your head held up high?
Speaker 2: I mean I think Tom Cruise just fine.
Speaker 1: You don't think his e meter is going to be flectioned, like.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't know, but yeah, you can see that he's gonna have a little chip on his shoulder and it's a little blue guy.
Speaker 1: I like me some Tom Cruise. Fine, I'm just saying, like his movies, but it's a battle between two aliens. You've got Tom Cruise whatever theton level or phaeton or what it. And then you've got east Hunt Stit. Yeah Ethan Hunt up against Stitch as though that's not the girl, right, So Stitch. Have you seen how they've been promoting that movie Lelo and Stitch everywhere? Yeah? Like, but have you seen what they did that Stitch an animatronic? I've got a guess, unless it's really an alien, uh driving around in the theaters in a little car adorable, right, Yeah, and then he was popping out of popcorn buckets. That's the kind of thing that we need to get us back into the theaters, absolutely, you know. And I I think Tom Cruise whipped out. I think this should have been the movie that he that he got hurt on. Oh come on, like he should have let go like underneath the plane and said this is it. Man, I'm giving it my all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make sure that you get this take. You know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Well, I'm glad for the theaters, and I'm glad for Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: Although Mo Kelly's gonna tell us I'm sure probably on a show tonight that this ain't saving the box office.
Speaker 1: No, but he's been Listen. I love me, samo. He and I are good friends. I'm just saying he is so down on theaters, and I get it. He's got like a ninety inch TV. I do not Mo Kelly live tonight. I don't think. I don't. I think it's me and him today. Maybe George Nori, But that's it. Let's take it to the top of the hour, shall we believe it or not? We got more to come. I've been saving the best for last for the last hour. What am I going to do? Neil Savedra in the Morning Crew on this Memorial Day morning KFI, Los Angeles, Heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 4: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.