Speaker 1: Jeffrey Darmer murdered seventeen young men over thirteen years. He would cut open his victims for his own sexual pleasure, preserve their severed body parts, and towards the end, eat their thighs, biceps, and hearts. But how did this once apparently innocent child turn into one of the world's most gruesome serial killers. Did circumstance drive dharma to carnage and cannibalism or was he born to kill.
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Jeffrey Dahmer was one of the most infamous serial killers of modern times. His name is synonymous with mutilation, necrophilia, and cannibalism.
Speaker 3: You think of the crimes that he committed, they're so horrific, you kind of think only a madman or somebody totally evil, evil incarnate would do this. But when you talked with jeff Dahmer, you just did not get this idea. He could be engaging, he could be bright, witty, he could make jokes.
Speaker 4: He was able to fool a lot of people.
Speaker 5: People that worked with him had no idea that he was a violent man. This was part of the real danger of Jeffrey Dahmer. He could join you or me at lunch and no one would detect that he was.
Speaker 4: A violent person.
Speaker 6: Jeffrey Dahmer, on the surface, was not a abnormal appearing individual. He's fairly good looking, he's well spoken, he was articulate.
Speaker 7: Never in a million years would I have guessed a homicidal maniac.
Speaker 4: To me, he's He's always been.
Speaker 8: Really a tragic figure, which is kind of hard for a lot of people to understand. But I don't really think of him as, you know, the serial killer monster. I just think of him as his kid who was spiraling out of control and nobody stopped him.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey Dahmer grew up in the small rural town of Bath, Ohio, a middle class boy from Middle America. Robert Wrestler, an FBI behavioral analyst and the man responsible for coining the phrase serial killers, was called in to interview Dama. His years of experience interviewing serial killers such as John Wayne Gacy gave him a unique insight into Dahma's mind.
Speaker 6: There is no evidence with Geoffrey Dahmer of any severe mistreatment or abuse in his childhood. His mother had metal problem, He was depressed most of the time, She slept a lot, and dropped out of family activities. The father was a PhD. Chemist and very busy and very intelligent man who spent a great deal of his time at work.
Speaker 1: Pat Kennedy worked the beat in Milwaukee for over twenty five years. Back in the summer of nineteen ninety one, he was assigned to the Jeffrey Dahmer case and spent six long weeks with him. He knew him better than most.
Speaker 4: He was a product of upper white middle class. He was educated.
Speaker 3: He came from a family of.
Speaker 1: Means, Yet the fractures in his parents' relationship left a young Jeffrey feeling isolated. His interests turned to animals. He viewed them very differently to how most children look upon their pets.
Speaker 3: He stated, when he was a very young child, seven or eight, he had found a decomposed squirrel and the bones were there. He kind of took it apart. He said that he found a roadkill and he wanted to see what was inside it, like a raccoon or a dog.
Speaker 4: He brought that home.
Speaker 3: A dead dog that he found on the side of the road was hit by a car, cut that open and looked at the inside of that.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey started to do this from a very young age, he would roam the surrounding countryside looking for roadkill to add to his growing macarbre collection. His fascination with bones would continue into his adulthood, but he would eventually move from animals to humans.
Speaker 3: As he got to be about thirteen or fourteen, and he was coming into his sexual awareness that he had some kissing with another boy in the neighborhood, and he realized that he was attracted to boys becoming aroused sexually, and the cutting up of these animals somehow became matched.
Speaker 4: So what he did as a.
Speaker 3: Young man with animals, he eventually did do later on in life with human beings.
Speaker 1: John beckdef first met Jeffrey Darmer when they were at school together here at the Revere High School in the mid seventies. John professionally known as DIRF, has since created a comic book illustrating his teenage years with Dama Dahmer.
Speaker 8: Well, he was he had a pretty rough time here, as did a lot of us. You know, he was the constant victim of harassment and abuse. Has beat up a lot, especially early on. Later you know, they sort of got bored with him. But early on, I imagine he had it pretty tough.
Speaker 1: Dama discussed his childhood at length with Robert Wrestler. This is the first time these recordings have ever been heard.
Speaker 2: I was visiting the evening and these saw these three seniors from high school approaching learns and I just had a feeling that something was going to happen. Sure enough, took him a billy and wagged me on the back.
Speaker 8: Back when we got to high school. It was when suddenly he became this.
Speaker 2: This uh.
Speaker 8: Incredible freak, you know, with the drinking and.
Speaker 4: Erratic behavior.
Speaker 1: By this time, Dharma had discovered that drinking was one way to dull the pain of his confusion over his sexuality and his sinister fantasies.
Speaker 2: Did you have problems with daydreaming? Or you do kind of a treating school well? And in junior year, that's when I started drinking. So that's were you ever called on a copper for that a couple of days. Yeah, you had promise that was fare.
Speaker 8: Obviously, someone getting drunk at seven in the morning is not a good thing. Showing up at school. Just wreeking of booze.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey was a lonely teenager who kept to himself. When he did become the center of attention. It was accidental.
Speaker 8: Well, I was on the yearbook staff along with a couple other of my friends, so we would go dahmer into sneaking into various photos for the yearbook, and one of those was the National Honor Society, which obviously he was not a member of, And when the advisor caught a look of it as we were pasting it up, he blacked his face out of the photo, which they then ran, which is sort of a symbol of his wasted youth, just this blacked out face, you know, the boy who didn't exist.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey's complex character meant that while seemingly happy to fade into the shadows, he also felt a desperate need to draw attention to himself.
Speaker 8: A bunch of us got together and raised put a pool in of thirty five dollars. I think it was for him to put on a performance at the mall of his seizures and epileptic fits and various acts of weirdness.
Speaker 1: Dirth also remembers stories of Dama experimenting with animals. His odd behavior was evident one fishing.
Speaker 9: Trip fish out of the lake, just a little sunfish, and took out a pocka knife and slashed it to bits, and my other friend said, what the hell did you do that for?
Speaker 8: Dahma responded, I just wanted to see what it looked like.
Speaker 1: As a teenager, as an extension of his childhood fascination of dead animals, Dama began to construct fantasies of sex with dead or unconscious men.
Speaker 6: Dahmer told me that on one occasion, he had seen in the newspaper on account of a young man who was killed on a motorcycle, and he fell in love with the individual just from the photograph. He actually went to the funeral home to a view the corpse, but he became so aroused that he excused himself into the bathroom, where he masturbated.
Speaker 1: This was also a parent in his fantasy of killing a local junker.
Speaker 3: He thought he would wait in the bushes with the baseball bat. This guy would come by, and he'd balk him in the head and he'd have this guy. And he actually said he went out and waited for the jogger one day with a baseball bat, but he didn't come by that day.
Speaker 1: The breakdown of his parents' marriage meant that eighteen year old Dama was left alone with his fantasies.
Speaker 8: His mom spled and his dad had already left, and he was left alone in the house. But the adults really failed him. There's no question as parents, as teachers, we.
Speaker 2: Were pretty upset by that breakup. I know it was pretty obvious. Yeah, person, Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And it was this that led to the death of his first victim.
Speaker 6: Damer told me that one fantasy that he had was that he would encounter a hitchhiker and he would be have a narrow waist, broad shoulders, a bird chest. He would not have a shirt on, and he would have very little hair in his body. He would pick up this hitchhiker and that they would have a great time together in all sorts of sexual adventures. He was driving down the road and he saw his fantasy hitchhiker.
Speaker 1: The subject of Dumba's fantasy was sixteen year old Stephen Hicks. Hicks was a free spirit who was hitchhiking to a summer festival. This was a common form of transport in nineteen seventies Ohio. Little did Hicks know who he would encounter in this.
Speaker 3: Calm brought the guy home. They had access to alcohol, they were drinking. They got a little intoxicated. But when the guy wanted to leave, Jeff did not want him to leave. He wanted him to stay because he was lonely and else he was intoxicated. He said that when he tried to stop the guy from leaving, a little bit of a wrastling match broke out, and as they were rastling around, that's when Jeff grabbed a hand bire bell and smashed the guy on the head. Now, he said when he hit him, he didn't really he wasn't thinking I'm going to kill this guy. I just want to keep him here.
Speaker 1: Dahma cut the body up and placed it in black binliners. He loaded them into his car and was planning to dispose of them when he was stomped by a police officer for a minor traffic offense.
Speaker 3: As he was writing him a ticket and came back to give him the ticket for crossing the yellow center line. He also, like any police officer, he took his flashlight and flashed inside the car to see if there's any weapons or any contraband.
Speaker 4: Like any good cop.
Speaker 3: And he saw the five bag and the guy actually said, hey, what's that back there, And he said, oh, it's just some trash I was going to take to the domp that I just didn't get there yet, And the cop gave him the ticket for a cross in the center line and left.
Speaker 1: This was the first of the many missed opportunities when Dharma could have been stopped.
Speaker 4: This is Dahmer's house.
Speaker 8: This is where he killed his first victim. He took it into this crawl space and apparently stripped the flesh off the bones underneath there, and when the cops went in there, turned his light on it and the whole thing lit up. Ceiling, floor, walls, everywhere, just covered with dried blood.
Speaker 1: He then smashed the bones up with a snedchhammer, stood in the middle of the woods and spun in a three hundred and sixty degree circle, throwing the remains as he turned.
Speaker 3: He said, for the next couple of weeks, you'd read the paper every day to see was there anything about this guy missing or anything.
Speaker 4: Never did.
Speaker 3: So he realized I got away with murder. I killed somebody and nobody knows about it. I'm gay and nobody knows about it. Again, from the very beginning, more secrecy became part of his life.
Speaker 4: It also tortured.
Speaker 3: Him, and that's kind of how it started, and then it just grew from there.
Speaker 1: It would be nine years before Delma would kill again. Once he did, he would be unable to stop. Jeffrey Dlma began to drink heavily after enrolling in college. His attempt to lead a normal life was not going according to plan.
Speaker 3: After he had flunked out of Ohio State for being drunk and then got kicked out of the army, he had a short stint down at Florida, didn't last very long.
Speaker 1: With no job and no skills, but consumed with a desire to kill again. Dema went to live with his grandmother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, trying to find sonace in religion.
Speaker 3: And he said when he first came to West Dallit he would go with Grammar at a church on Sundays.
Speaker 4: He tried to read the Bible.
Speaker 3: He totally didn't do anything homosexual. He didn't try to get involved with any kind of gay stuff.
Speaker 4: He said, he.
Speaker 3: Really thought this is the way to go. Religion is going to be my savior.
Speaker 1: For a while, Dama was able to control his urges. However, this proved to be the calm before the storm.
Speaker 3: An interesting thing that tipped The balance for him was he was at the Wawatosa library. As he was sitting there reading a book, a young man walked by him and threw a crumpled up peoples of paper in front of him and walked by and Jeff took it, opened it up and inside and said, if you want to blow job, meet me in the men's room.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that note thrown thing was kind of a catalyst a trip, it seems, and wait to hear, because that's when everything started falling hard. What does that mean to you? I mean this thing, it just was just sitting there sort of throwing out a challenge to whoever did make sure enough stud he didn't know e fou again and he didn't meet up with.
Speaker 6: He said, that's at the stage for seeking more contact from a sexual side with young men, and that that led to homicide and that when on seventeen more.
Speaker 1: Times, incapable of relating to people, but desperate for his own brand of necrophilic sexual contact. In nineteen eighty five, Dama started to hang out in gay bathhouses where he would take his partner to a cubicle and drug them.
Speaker 4: He was a very selfish lover.
Speaker 3: He he wanted to be the giver. He did now want to be the receiver of homosexual sex. Actually, he enjoyed oral and anal sex, but did not want anyone to perform anal sex on him.
Speaker 1: Sex for Thelma was a matter of obtaining and exercising physical control of his partner. But when word got around that he was drugging young men, he was banned from the local homosexual hangouts, so I resorted to using hotels.
Speaker 3: Jeff met an individual at a tavern and convinced him to come back where he had a room here at the Ambassador Hotel, and he brought gentleman back to his hotel, drugged him with the drug alcohol combination, and then Jeff himself, according to he blacked out. When he woke up in the morning, this person was lying next to him dead and was beaten about the face and the chest and the body, and Jeff figured that he did kill him, but he didn't. He couldn't remember doing it because he was an alcoholic.
Speaker 6: Black home, he went to uh department store across the street. He bought a very large suitcase or a small trunk, if you will, and brought it up to the room and put the body in it and actually had the hotel thus boy help him bring the body down to the street where he hailed a cab. The cab driver helped him load it into the cab and said to Dahmer, this is really heavy, buddy, what he got in here a body? And Dahmer said, yeah, I do, and that they both laughed about it after the ambassador one that was that did you find that pleasurable?
Speaker 2: Or was that equally frightening? For what reason? Was that one fright? Because it was a totally plan. It was a total surprise to me that did happened.
Speaker 1: Happened for the people have Milwalk. It was just the beginning of a killing spree that would last five years. District Attorney Michael McCann remembers the time.
Speaker 5: Well Dahmer killed sixteen young men between nineteen eighty seven and nineteen ninety one. We had no idea that a serial slayer was operating in our city.
Speaker 1: From this moment onwards, Dama continued to kill. Sometimes there would be months, weeks, or even just days between his killings. After already killing four men in August nineteen eighty eight, Darma made a fatal mistake. His fifth victim, escaped. The police were called and Dama was arrested for molesting and taking photographs of a thirteen year old boy. With the police and the court unaware of his grisly death toll, he was sentenced to do only twelve months in a low security prison. His defense lawyer was Gerald Boyle.
Speaker 7: He had spent first year in a very very uncomfortable environment of the county jail where he could only get out to go to work, a very hard way to serve time. So the judge gave him this very strong sentence.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 4: Nobody kick.
Speaker 7: Yes, he had already killed four people by that time.
Speaker 1: Dama's sentence was reduced after he made a desperate plea to the court, stating that what he did was deplorable and assuring the judge that it would never happen again, but it soon would. Dama needed to get his own place. He moved from his grandmother's house to Flat two one to three Oxford apartments.
Speaker 3: So here's the building where it used to be. And now the city has done nothing with this, absolutely nothing, It just sits there. Fallum.
Speaker 4: Now the building was in this design.
Speaker 3: It was a rectangle three story white stock l thirty six unit.
Speaker 1: Apartments Behind this door was a place for Dama to fulfill his fantasies and commit horrendous act so that a place of death and destruction. He would pick out many of his victims from gay bars.
Speaker 3: This area here is pretty much where kind of the gay area kind of starts. This place right here two nineteen was the place he liked to go for the They would have the drag shows right next to it. Sey Levie was another one of his favorites. As we go this way, there's there's a couple now. He was considered kind of a honey. I mean he was a nice looking guy. I mean people thought he was nice looking, and like I said, I wish I could be as lucky with women as this guy was with men. I mean, there's quite a he got laid a lot, and he didn't kill everybody that he was sexually involved with.
Speaker 1: Local bartender Tony Timer remembers Dama, well.
Speaker 10: Come to the back bar and he'd order a drinking and get a drinking and go and he'd sit in the corner. He was in his own little world, or like he was always waiting for something, which obviously he was.
Speaker 1: It was here that Dama met Tony's good friend Eddie Smith.
Speaker 4: Eddie was such.
Speaker 10: A wild, crazy person, so you couldn't help it like him, which you know Dahmer did. And so they knew each other well, you know, well enough to make him comfortable enough to go into a house and take photographs.
Speaker 1: Eddie dreamt of becoming a model, and Dama knew all the right things to say. At one hundred dollars a session, it was easy money.
Speaker 10: Edie would be sitting at the bar and all of a sudden, you know if Sometimes he would turn around and say, I gotta go. We got to make some money, and I'm like, where are you going? And he'd just turn around and look towards the hallway and I'd see Jeffrey's standing right there, and I'm like, oh, you're going, okay, Well call me when you're whatever.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: On Wednesday, the twenty fourth of June nineteen ninety, Eddie met up with Dama and was seen dancing with him at the Phoenix Club.
Speaker 4: He just left. Dahmer never came back.
Speaker 1: It was only at the trial years later that Tony realized that the same quiet man who used to drink at the end of his bar was the same man who had brutally murdered his friend.
Speaker 10: The community was shattered, you know what I mean. People stopped coming out. I blew my life apart. It didn't just affect my life.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't just the gay community that Dama targeted. He was an opportunistic killer who was always on the lookout for potential prey.
Speaker 3: One of his victims was in the bus stop right here, right up here, as a young man from Upper Michigan who was just down here visiting, and Jeff Dahmer met him in the bus stop right over there in front of that McDonald's and convinced him to come home with him.
Speaker 4: That was the end of that year.
Speaker 5: Some of the men that he victimized were homosexual, some were not. He would approach them and suggest that he'd like to take pictures of them.
Speaker 4: Would they come to his apartment.
Speaker 5: He had already prepared at that apartment a drug that he would induce them to drink.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 6: Once he snapped the lock on the door and the person was in his apartment, he seemed to become more aggressive, more powerful. It was almost like a psychological transformation, and he became more sexually aroused.
Speaker 3: He would lay listening to their heart, and he trained himself to learn when they were coming out of the drug induced coma by their breathing, because it would start to get kind of sharp and short from the long breathing of a drug induced and that's when he knew it was time to kill them.
Speaker 1: He would then perform oral sex on them before strangling and dismembering them, and often keeping his favorite body parts around his flat for days on end.
Speaker 6: Sometimes he would have sex with the individual as they were unconscious, but always after they were dead as well. So I mean it became I think the preference was for the dead person because that way he didn't have to deal with there with conversation, He didn't have to deal with denials or rejections. It was strictly on his own turrif. At that time, he had all of his victims back at his apartment.
Speaker 2: Where he would be able to enjoy.
Speaker 6: Himself by going through the rituals that he needed to perform acts of sexual activity combined with destruction of the bodies.
Speaker 3: He would come back from work and make love with the dead body. He would sleep with it, he would lie with it, he would rob it and have sex with it.
Speaker 6: He was just very, very enamored with the concept of opening a body, seeing the internal organ spill forth. And several of the bodies he would put in his bathtub and pack with ice in midweek because he had to work the next day, so he could keep them for the weekend where he had more time to enjoy himself with these bodies.
Speaker 4: He said.
Speaker 6: To do that, he'd have to shower with cold water so he would melt the ice. Was uncomfortable, it was well worth it.
Speaker 1: One way to understand Dama's obscure fantasy world is to talk to someone who shares Dama's interest in death and bodies. Niko Klaus is better known as the Vampire of Paris. A convicted cannibal and murderer, Klaus killed a man in cold blood in October nineteen ninety four. He served just seven years in prison and is now free to walk the streets.
Speaker 12: So I can really relate to somebody like him. I can't understand what went through his mind and what his obsessions were. He was really concerned with the esthetics of death, how beautiful they looked like in his eye. This is why he took photographs of his victims. He would pose them in twisted positions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was the idea to pose him there? It was just a way to exhibit control, to look and to situate and seek keeping these photographs and was imported to you as well. I'd use of the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you had a lot of.
Speaker 3: It continued on and grew in momentum that the passions and the lust became stronger. His wont to look for this this perfect orgasm, I guess you could call it. He had to do more and more things in order to have this satisfying orgasm. It just started with having pornographic homosexual arm sex, and then actually having homosexual sex with people in the baths, and then having sex and killing, and then having sex with dead people, and then having sex with the viscera, and then actually eating the people that he had sex with to get this.
Speaker 4: Superb orgasmic experience.
Speaker 1: How does a human being get to the point that they can only eat the flesh of another Only another cannibal can truly know. Nico was working as a mortuary assistant at a Parisian morgue when he tried human flesh for the first time.
Speaker 12: There is a state of euphroia right after you have done it. You refeel on a big high and you are like on the top of a mountain.
Speaker 2: During dismemberment. That you say mustn't eat is later cut it into smaller pieces, and Washington put it in them these plastic clear plastic freezer bags and put them in the floor freezer, just as an escalation, trying something new, dissatisfy and I would cook it and then look at the picture imagine it was afterwards. Did that have any any positive effect to that ritual? Satisfying it made it feel like they were more part of me.
Speaker 3: What he did was he bought an adaptable grill to put on his gas stove. We found this and he said he would just kind of seer it on both sides.
Speaker 4: With a little oil keep.
Speaker 3: He did add some condiments to it, some vegetables and mushrooms and onions, and towards the end there was.
Speaker 4: The month before we caught him.
Speaker 3: Pretty much the only meat that he ate was was human flesh.
Speaker 12: Taste like osmid in my experiences, but of course it depends on the pot the sweet.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, Dma wanted a partner he could completely control, dead or alive.
Speaker 6: He began fantasizing that he could make things much better for himself by creating a sex zombie, and the sex zombie he thought would stay with him and all the time he would not have to murder anymore.
Speaker 2: I wasn't getting satisfaction, so I took it to a new level. I had a handle that I used for the more.
Speaker 4: He used like a.
Speaker 11: Stall in the arm system, drills small more or very quickly and with a large syringe.
Speaker 2: I filled that up with wasect, killed it and projected instruct I was hoping to bring his society mistake.
Speaker 12: He was not interested in having a relationship with a willing victim. He wanted total control over a human body and do whatever he wanted.
Speaker 1: He had met fourteen year old kernerac Centosymphony in the mall when he tried out his new drilling technique, but he made the mistake of leaving him alone.
Speaker 2: I saw him sitting on that side what two girls were with. They called the police to think of his story quickly, and he told him that he was a friend who gets drunk. He was not wanting to the backs. One officer grab him by this and I another arm, so grab him on the other arm, and they walked him up with the parents and they left. That's why I did the second right away. How want to take him? A guy that was me?
Speaker 1: Yet again like many before them, The police were taken in by the courtiers Doctor Jekyl side of Jeffrey Dahmer's personality, but with the bodies piling up and a pungent smell emanating from his apartment, it wouldn't be long before he would start drawing attention to himself.
Speaker 3: Jeff said that this was a continual problem, the smell that his neighbors the building supervisor complained about the smell.
Speaker 1: So Pac liber Princeville was in charge of Dama's apartment building and had to deal with the complaints.
Speaker 6: Somebody told me that it is coming from his apartment, and so I had to call him and ask him what's going on?
Speaker 4: Can't he clean up or what?
Speaker 2: I'd either blame it on the freezer or the fish team. You really said, he almost passed out? What was in there? Three headless cobscrict.
Speaker 1: The man who brought an end to Dama's reign of ten It was thirty two year old Tracy Edwards, who, after escaping from DAMA, was running down a street with a pair of handcuffs on one wrist when he managed to flag down a passing police car.
Speaker 5: Had the officer been able to unleash that handcuff, that may have been the end of it. So they went back to Dahmer's residency.
Speaker 3: Jeff opened the door, They said who they were, what they wanted, but Jeff didn't have the key for the handcuff.
Speaker 4: Because he didn't.
Speaker 3: The way he got the handcuffs back from his victims was by cutting off their hands.
Speaker 5: When they entered the apartment, one of the officers saw some pictures in a bedroom of a skinning of a human being. Looked at the pictures, was surprised, then looked around the room and realized he was in the very room where those pictures had been taken. He yelled out to his partner grab them.
Speaker 3: When I arrived, I saw Dahmer was arrested on the ground, handcuffed, and I was told by the officers to look in the refrigerator the time. When I did open up the refrigerator, what I found in there was an empty refrigerator with a cardboard box containing a freshly severed head of a black male. The eyes and the mouth were open. Should be stated that The interior refrigerator was immaculately clean. In the back was a box of arm Hammer baking soda, and on the side were condiments mustard, ketchup a one sauce. I felt fear from the bottom of my feet all the way to the top of my head. You can't make sense of anything that looked so bizarre.
Speaker 1: Dama's killing spray was finally brought to an end. What was motivating Jeffrey Dahma to kill, dismember, and eat his victims? Was he sane or insane? Jeffrey Dahma was just eighteen years old when he took the life of his first victim. Nine years later, he was driven to kill again. It was after this that the killings escalated. He continued to kill, and for years he got away with murder. No one suspected the mild mannered, good looking middle class boy of any further wrongdoing.
Speaker 3: In a long list of these, I mentioned the judge the commuted as sentenced, the first police officer that let him go in Ohio. When he first got out, he was on probation, But not once during his entire time of being on probation did a probation officer come to his apartment, much less make a surprise visit to his apartment. Also, he was under court order to see a psychologist every month. In some of the days, he had just killed somebody over the weekend and chopped them up and threw them away, and then he was sitting and talking to the psychologist, putting on a front and being cleared to go.
Speaker 1: This time was different. They had him in custody and they weren't about to let him out of their sight. Knowing that it was all finally over, Dahma signed away his rights to an attorney. From midnight into the early hours of the next morning, he started on the wicked truth behind his evil acts.
Speaker 3: He didn't tell us about eating people right away. In the freezer part of the refrigerator, they found individually wrapped and prepared body parts the thigh, bicep, heart, liver.
Speaker 1: As Kennedy continued his interrogation, the most pertinent question was why.
Speaker 3: There was mental illness in his family, And that's not a stigma. I mean, a lot of our families have mental illnesses. The fact that there was a lot of arguing going on between his mom and dad and when he was growing up, the fact that he felt to band, and I mean, all these things together could they produce Who knows?
Speaker 1: Had his desertion as a teenager left Jeffrey with a fear of abandonment that affected his adult life.
Speaker 3: We had discussions about love because I said, Jeff, well, why don't you just have a regular boyfriend? You know, I mean, and then you woudn't have to kill these But said, people always left. I could never get anyone to stay with me. So I saw that the only way I can cap them with me was by killing them, but by actually eating the person that this young man actually became part of jeff Dahmer.
Speaker 6: Dahmer did state that he was there was not a victim of his crimes, that he did not personally love and would like to have stayed on a permanent level. It all boiled on the same routine. When they were going to leave, that's when they died.
Speaker 1: Even Doma himself can't provide an explanation.
Speaker 2: What do you account to the fact that you're getting into this so often, the fact that I was desperately trying making so much satisfied that they never did.
Speaker 1: But was it just a simple case of not being able to find what he was looking for and you met.
Speaker 2: Somebody who consensually would set up let the arrangement with you, what do you have a bank? And then the procedure that he stayed with the person would have had to be totally compliant, willing to do whatever. M like that.
Speaker 1: So it's true, there was never any doubt that Dama committed these heenous crimes. His sixty hour confession and the insurmountable evidence was to solve a complicated question. Was Darma sane or insane? If the court found Darma sane, he would spend the rest of his life in prison. If they judged him insane, he would go to a psychiatric hospital from which one day he could possibly be released. Prosecutor Michael McCann had a different approach to the trial.
Speaker 5: We heave in Wisconsin what's called a bifurcated trial. We use the same jury, but we do it sequentially. First, did he do the slayings? Secondly, was he saying or insane at the time. So the second part of the trial was the real issue that went on for several weeks in this very courtroom.
Speaker 1: Arma called on his old defense attorney, Gerald Boyle. Boyle felt his client had to be insane.
Speaker 7: Killing didn't obviously meaning to him. He had no consciance, so he was not going to be rehabilitated, no matter who was working with him.
Speaker 1: To the average person, killing and eating another human would not be considered a sane act. But according to Wisconsin's legal definition of sanity, if a person knows what they are doing is wrong but keeps doing it anyway, they are classified as sane.
Speaker 6: Garmer definitely knew what he was doing, but he didn't care. He justified what he was doing by his own standards. He knew what was against the law.
Speaker 5: I think after you kill a certain number of people, you've lost all track of morality. You no longer feel constrained by the morals that bind most of us.
Speaker 1: Damer sat emotionless during the verdict before the judge and the families of the victims he'd killed and dismembered. He was judged to be sane and sentenced to life imprisonment on the seventeenth of February nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 5: Someone asked me once, how many people do you have to kill and eat before you're insane?
Speaker 4: In Milwaukee.
Speaker 5: I can say this that everyone who knew Dahmer and I think the most skilled psychiatrists said Dahmer was saying. That is even more frightening than believing Dahmer was insane. I believe he was sane and tragically evil.
Speaker 3: I felt that that was a just end for what he did. He needed to be removed from society forever for the rest of his life. And I think that's what he should have gotten.
Speaker 4: That's what he got.
Speaker 5: Of course, we had fifteen verdicts of guilty and fifteen verdicts of sane while committing the crime, and then, of course the sentence of the court was such that so long nine hundred plus years, that he would never be released. When Dahmer went to the maximum security prison at Columbia, he came in contact with a minister or minister and started reading the Bible and attending chapel there.
Speaker 1: Faced with life imprisonment, Dama turned to religion once again for comfort and possible salvation. Eventually, he asked local Church of Christ minister Roy Radcliffe to come to the jail to baptize him.
Speaker 13: After I agreed to baptize him, he heaved a deep sigh of relief because he was afraid that I would say I can't baptize you because your sins are too grievous, Your sins are too bad, your sins are unforgivable. Well, that violates everything I've ever believed. And I would never say that Jesus Christ came to save sinners. Jeffrey Dahmer was a sinner. It's as simple as that. It was our first Thanksgiving holiday that was coming up, and so he made a big deal about giving this card to me, and it was written out and so forth that he talked about how much he was grateful for all that I'd done for him, and how thankful he was that I was in his life and I hadn't given up on him. The only emotion he ever had confessed to regarding his murders was love. It wasn't hatred at all. And I never saw a sense of malice or anger hatred toward any of his victims at all.
Speaker 1: In November nineteen ninety three, two inmates were killed by delusional schizophrenic Christopher Scava at the Columbia Correctional Institute. One was Jesse Anderson, the other was Jeffrey Dahmer.
Speaker 5: Carver got a piece of equipment off an exercise machine crept up upon Dahmer and bludgeoned him to death, and then crossed a gymnasium and bludgeoned to death Anderson.
Speaker 3: He knew that he was going to be killed if he asked for the general population, and talking to the investigator, said that the gentleman that was killed with him, Jesse Anderson, had all kinds of defensive marks where he tried to stop Carver, but Jeff Dahmer had no defense of mine. Arks on him that all his strikes were from the beginning, from the head, and a very interesting thing. What I thought was interesting was he was killed with a hand bar bell, which is the same instrument he used to kill his very first victim.
Speaker 13: He was a young man that I felt a friendship toward, and I had lost a friend, and so I was very much in shock and disbelief about it.
Speaker 4: At first, I.
Speaker 6: Felt somewhat sorry for the man being beaten to death by another inmate. Didn't seem right. It's not supposed to be what happens in prison.
Speaker 4: It did kind of shake me up a little bit.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this means, you know, not the macho guy I wanted.
Speaker 4: To be, But.
Speaker 3: I felt really conflicted about it because I had got to know him. I saw him as a very tragic, tragic figure. I guess I felt sad that he was dead because I don't believe anybody needs to die like that.
Speaker 8: He died pretty brutally, but you can't say he didn't deserve it.
Speaker 4: But still.
Speaker 8: I think at that point it's probably a relief to him. I would think that was no kind of life.
Speaker 10: I was kind of elated that was kind of happened, Like, well, good riddings. I'm glad it's over. That's the least he can do for me for taking my friend. He didn't deserve to live.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 13: Not after that, Jeffrey Dahmer was cremated immediately, although his brain was removed at the request of his mother.
Speaker 4: She wanted the brain studied.
Speaker 13: Because she's trying to offset the belief that Lionel had suggested that somehow his brain was deformed. About a year later, the scientist involved with the brain decides there's no abnormality with his brain.
Speaker 1: Was Dharma's behavior simply down to nurture? Was Dama not born to kill?
Speaker 14: No, I he was born like that. I think it's environmental, and I just I think anybody who, in a young age is the victim of abject loneliness is probably going to have serious problems in life of one nature or another.
Speaker 4: Did he choose evil? Yes? Was he an evil person?
Speaker 3: I can't say, and I wouldn't say that about anybody, especially after I spent so much time with him and saw parts of him that were very much like you and me. He had cares and loves and feelings like anybody else. Did he have some I personally thought he was crazy. You'd have to be crazy to do what he did.
Speaker 4: I don't think Dahmer was born to kill.
Speaker 5: I think Dahmer had the benefits of a good family, a basically good family, a decent area in which to we raised, educational opportunities.
Speaker 4: He chose not to accept them.
Speaker 1: Whatever factors led to Dahma's path of destruction, it will take the city of Milwaukee a long time to return to normality.
Speaker 10: He's garred the setting. He's done something that will probably take generations to to to to heal, but for some people will never heal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, m hm, h m hmmm, yeah, yeah, h m h m hmmm, yeah, yeah, m hm