Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Donald Trump is weighed in. He acknowledged the news out of the Vatican. He said as he was walking out of the East room just now, I've seen the smoke, but I haven't seen the Pope.
Speaker 2: And it's not him, right Zach I came a close second. Ah, there are many many votes for me.
Speaker 3: The President, by the way, struck a huge deal with the UK, the first big trade agreement that he has announced since he launched this trade blitz last month. He wrote this morning, the agreement with the UK is a full and comprehensive one that will cement the relationship between the US and the UK for many years to come. He made the announcement today from the Oval Office, flanked by some of his trade representatives. He also had Prime Minister Kier Starmer on the phone and they had talked about how this is beneficial to both sides.
Speaker 2: As the days.
Speaker 3: And weeks go by, we'll get a better idea of how it's going to impact trade between the two countries.
Speaker 1: It's really cool watching the sea of people in Saint Peter's Square because they're all waving not all of them, but many of them are waving massive flags, and they're representing countries around the world.
Speaker 2: It's not just Europe.
Speaker 1: There's a Canadian flag, there's an American flag, there's a Mexican flag. I mean, it's flags from around the world that are represented in that square, and it just gives you chills. It's one of the things, one of the few things we're all watching together as a world, like this is a global thing, even if you're not Catholic, it's something that unites.
Speaker 2: Us all kind of well, it's one thing. It's like the World Cup, but not soccer.
Speaker 3: With the stretch, I would say, I would say one of the things that makes it interesting.
Speaker 2: I am not a Catholic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've known the popes simply because they've become worldwide figures. But what is interesting to me is the fact that this has been done for eighteen hundred years.
Speaker 1: It's a nod to the way things have always been, going back into you know.
Speaker 3: The times we can't even wrap.
Speaker 2: Up as the cheos, yeah, exactly, can't.
Speaker 3: Wrap our head around the first pope, the subsequent popes, even a pope from three hundred years ste can't think of it right, We can't wrap our heads around it. But there is there is a history to it, there is a tradition to it, and I know that they've changed.
Speaker 2: We talked many times.
Speaker 3: About how the process of choosing the pope, the fights of the pope, the Vatican itself, where the Pope actually sits. You mentioned Avignon in France for a while. It's it is one of those things that has continued for generations.
Speaker 1: Oh and there's so much it goes into it, of power and mystique and the mafia. It was one of the shortest conclaves in history. This was the conclave to elect what will be the two hundred and sixty seventh Pope, ended after the second day of voting, about an hour ago, shortest, one of the shortest conclaves in history. Only two other instances in recent history where a pope was elected after just two days of voting. Then they were our most recent people, Pope Benedict in two thousand and five and Pope Francis in twenty thirteen. So maybe this is the way of the future, maybe less consternation, maybe more telegraphing. Who the next guy is up. Now, if that was the case, we are not in the know. There's been no reports that say, oh, this person's a shoe in, or that person or this is the front runner, right, None that I have seen, at least no.
Speaker 3: And if you go through the different I mean, different publications had different lists of sort of the top contenders, and no one seems to No one seems to be certain. Are they going to stick with that sort of progressive theology that Francis had? Is this a way for the church itself to kind of swing back to a more conservative theology around the world.
Speaker 1: I like the Cardinal Pizzabala. He was he was close to Pope Francis. And his last name is Pizzabala.
Speaker 2: Come on, his first name is Pierre Bautista. You're damn right. It is the patriarch of Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: I think he should keep his name if in fact he is the one who's chosen us. Oh, Pizza Bala, I don't know, Pope Pierra Bautista.
Speaker 2: You don't like the pizza part. I think it's fine. It's a little, a little on the nose.
Speaker 1: Anyway, He's one of the six to one odds.
Speaker 2: Guys are you looking at the odds right now?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not looking at the odds. How sacrilegious? How dare you?
Speaker 2: This feels like my parents didn't.
Speaker 1: Pay for six years of Catholic school for me to look at the odds.
Speaker 2: Who's going to be the next? This feels like the time when the roulette dealer says, no more bets, no.
Speaker 4: Comes.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right, you're right, you're right, you're right. Oh, we got a pope.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Okay, the doors are opening at the balcony. A man, two men have come out, and here is the Pope and the white cassock. No, that's who's that?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: That that is him. It is the man in the middle. It is the man in the middle has got the red. Who is this? This is?
Speaker 1: This is not Pizzabella, No, this is the This is not Pizza Bella.
Speaker 2: This is the senior Cardinal Deacon. I believe this is not the new pope that we're seeing here. This is you just said it was. I'm like, why is he where your red? What's happening? You should translate in intown. You're about to read the heb.
Speaker 1: I announced to you great news of great joy.
Speaker 2: He says, we have a pope abe mus papa man.
Speaker 1: We have a pope habemus papam.
Speaker 6: Em and simuma a creverendi Simon Dominoma, Dominoma, Robertum Franchiskuma, Sante Romane Clesier, Cardinal Lema Prevosta. Oh qui se b Norman named posuita Leonema de chimum quartuma.
Speaker 2: Anyone new Latin, I tap out, and we have a pope. I think he said, Pope Leo. That right, the chosen name. If hour waiting.
Speaker 1: The three members of the Vatican staff have left the balcony after making the announcement that we have a pope.
Speaker 2: And then on the other on those are all the cardinals.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's other balconies, and those doors have opened, so the other cardinals are joining.
Speaker 1: The cardinals look happy, They look ecstatic that they have done their work in the conclave. The crowd is cheering in many languages, probably Italian.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, we got it. It's us, we got it.
Speaker 1: It's the it's the Cardinal Robert Provost.
Speaker 2: Of the United States. Wow, hey, crap, you guys me what that's not how it works? Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, this is huge. Robert provokes.
Speaker 1: We told you about him yesterday as kind of a dark horse, an American.
Speaker 2: My goodness, what do we know about him? Seventy years old? He has chosen the name Leo. He'll be Leon Hope Leo or Leon Learte. So sixty nine years old, he'll be seventy.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Not one pope has ever been from the United States. Granted, this is incredible. Hope's have been around a lot longer than the United States.
Speaker 2: He's originally from Chicago.
Speaker 1: He's head of the church's dicastery for bishops, which means he oversees the selection of new bishops.
Speaker 2: He is a dual citizen, by the way.
Speaker 1: If you're turned off by his American nationality, he holds nationality in both the United States and Peru, where he served for many years. He has seen overall as a centrist on some key social issues, He's viewed as a progressive. He has long embraced marginalized groups a lot like Francis, who of course championed the poor, choosing the name Francis.
Speaker 2: He's from Illinois. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He opposes ordaining women as deacons, so on that point is seen as conservative on church doctrine.
Speaker 2: Doctor, excuse me, incredible. Yeah, he was on the list, a couple of different lists I was looking on. He wasn't on them.
Speaker 3: He was on a third list that I saw. In terms of the potential front runners, I saw, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, Trump is going to have a field day with this. I mean United States. This is already seen in the world, is having too much power, and now we have the pope. Yeah, we talked about it.
Speaker 2: Yea, Oh my goodness, this is going to be massive.
Speaker 3: As you mentioned, just two years ago, Pope Francis appointed him as the Prefect for Dicastri for Bishops, a position within the Roman Curia that it's responsible for evaluating and recommending candidates for the Episcopeta around the world. This has increased his visibility and his influence within the church and could they said, could potentially raise his profile ahead of the conclave, and apparently it did.
Speaker 2: This was the last thing I thought would happen an American pope. Yeah, that's very That was not what I was looking at.
Speaker 3: Robert Francis Prevost again born in Chicago back in nineteen fifty five, completed secondary studies at a minor seminary of the Order of Saint Augustine in seventy three, earned a BS degree in math at Villanova in seventy seven.
Speaker 1: My god, didn't we just mentioned basketball? Oh, no, Oregon football. I thought we were predestined.
Speaker 3: He did join the Order of Saint Augustine in September if seventy seven, took his first vows to the Order in seventy eight.
Speaker 1: This is a busy hope, by the way, Theological Union. Leo Leon He's going to be the pope for a very long time.
Speaker 2: He is youthful. He's only seventy. Yeah, he's six sixty nine, sixty nine, will be seventy in September. He's going to be the pope for a couple decades. Pope Leo, Pope Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: And they're showing in the crowd the big American flag somebody has hoisted up.
Speaker 3: You had mentioned that everybody was up there. You know, all these people from around the world, we've all put.
Speaker 1: Their flags down with their flexcept for the one guy with the big American flag.
Speaker 2: My goodness, that is incredible. What is the reaction?
Speaker 1: I mean, it can't just be us who have been paying attention to this for oh, I don't know, five minutes in terms of the Pope's election.
Speaker 2: I mean not five minutes, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Since Pope Francis died, I wonder if this is a big shock or if we're just the.
Speaker 2: Only ones shocked here.
Speaker 3: This is pretty crazy, pretty big deal. Again, the announcement just came out the ABS Papem. The announcement in Latin read by one of the top cardinals there, that Robert Francis Prevost, an American Catholic prelate who's been the head of Catholic Church and sovereign of the Vatican City since May. He, I should say, is now the sovereign of the Vatican City. He is choosing the name Leo. There have been thirteen other popes named Leo, so he will become Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Waiting for again for him to take me place.
Speaker 1: He is he a Cubs fan or is he a white Sox guy? These are all things that we're going to find out. North side, south side, right is see the deep dish guy. Oh my gosh, this is incredible. An American pope.
Speaker 3: Now, there are four balconies, five balconies there that overlooks Saint Peter's Square CBS one in the middle is where the new pope come out. There are two on either side that actually are now packed with cardinals.
Speaker 1: CBS News has a shot of him from time to time hugging different people.
Speaker 2: He just moments ago.
Speaker 1: Tears in his eyes, as you can imagine, what an emotional moment. They said that he kept a low profile, but not to the men who count that. This wasn't somebody who was You know, some of these guys have been big on social media, kept a pretty high profile.
Speaker 2: He is not one of them you mentioned.
Speaker 3: Of course, he spent some time in Peru. He served as the Bishop of Shiklio in Peru for eight years. He was a citizen and became a citizen in Peru in the process. Was Prior General of the Order of Saint Augustine from twentyd and one to twenty thirteen and.
Speaker 2: An elected pope Leo. That's fun. Spent the early part of his career working in Peru and in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Served in Peru a couple of different times eighty five to eighty six and then eighty eight to ninety eight as a pastor, a diocesan official, diosisan official, seminary teacher administrator, made a cardinal just two years ago in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't mean to mix the moment up, but this is going to be a big truth social post.
Speaker 2: I'm putting my money.
Speaker 1: On all my chips on on how big the victory lap will be. It will be massive, it will be massive. He was elevated by Pope Francis. By the way, just in September of twenty twenty three. Pope Leo was so wow, quite the uh, quite the rise in profile to become the first American pope elected.
Speaker 3: That out of wow, for two hundred years, I mean two hundred and fifty years basically that the United States has been around that we haven't had a pope to.
Speaker 1: This point, we really have no business having a pope. We're still so young compared to the rest of the world. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Now it is about the time as we're waiting for the pope to oh, here, looks like he's going to come out.
Speaker 2: You can hear the crowd, and there he is, Hope Leo, the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Big smile, no teeth, smile, glasses on. He's wearing the white Pope's cull a skull cap. He looks popey he looks he's really happy, you guys. He's waving to the crowd. He's wearing the white cassock but with the maroon overcassock garment with the gold emblazoned sash.
Speaker 2: I guess you could call it. I don't know.
Speaker 4: The term.
Speaker 2: He's on Saint Peter's balcony is he's waving.
Speaker 1: He has overcome with emotion, and how could you not be, because he's looking at all of the thousands of people that are there. There are children on people's shoulders, crying, people hoisting their American flags up chills.
Speaker 2: He's trying so old hold back. He's trying to choke back tears. But I don't know if that's going to be possible. That's incredible. The expectation is that the new Pope, Leo the fourteenth will.
Speaker 3: Offer a blessing not just to the people in the crowd there at Saint Peter's Square, but also around the world.
Speaker 2: So he's already miked up. I'm assuming. I don't know how pretty started. Watch on underneath that little castle.
Speaker 1: That you can see his fisherman's ring right there on the right ring finger, beautiful gold ring there, big gold cross of course, hanging from his neck, smiling, nodding.
Speaker 2: That's that's that looks like a million people in that square.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that well, because I mean the people that entoipated that this would be the time this morning when they made the decision and crowded Saint Peter's square for hours, and then of course when the white smoke billows out all of Romanti's out and makes their way there.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's miked up yet or if they're going to bring something to him. They're all chanting and singing to him, of course. I don't wonder what they're saying.
Speaker 2: And what will his first words be?
Speaker 5: In?
Speaker 2: What language will he speak?
Speaker 3: You're going to speak Italian or Latin, or probably English Latin. Assume he's fluent in Spanish if he's spent that much time in Peru as well. There comes the microphone and he's okay. One of the other chief cardinals has handed him a pamphlet or a.
Speaker 2: Here he goes.
Speaker 8: Lapache sia kontuti voi fratellisreli carrissimi questo el primo saluto del cristo resorto so italian pastorio la vita pery great Jadido and key over re k Questo saluto dipach and transcende loostro couore raise l familie, A totele PERSONEI know a tou ti popoli, A toute la terra, la pache si a convoy.
Speaker 2: I like this pope. You kind of liked all the post jury. Mm hmmm, No, I don't like Benedict who's too old for you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he must have said something because those cardinals who was left or cracking up laughing my age, right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 8: Are questa e l Apache, the Cristo resorto un apache, disarmata, un apache, disarmante le perceverante probenida diociama touti in con in condition amente acora conserviao n nostri reki cuela debole mas precora joza the Papa Francesco Kenediva Roma y Papava Roma, Benedicioni al Mundo al Mundo and tero quella Mattina.
Speaker 4: The Jordan of the.
Speaker 2: Past looks like he's from the Midwest.
Speaker 8: Guys, consent sego quel last sa Benedici.
Speaker 4: Dio chivo be di o viam a touti.
Speaker 8: Mal non prevarramoti ne le mani di dio in our minds, and Pertanto am cuella mattina the gor of the past.
Speaker 5: That morning, on that day of Eastern.
Speaker 4: Did our seguo quell la.
Speaker 5: Di viama loves everywhere.
Speaker 4: Male non prevara.
Speaker 5: Ne leman were in the hands of God.
Speaker 8: Pertanto sends without fear the united Manola mano hand and hand with.
Speaker 7: God among ourselves. We go forward shape the Christ disciples of Christ. Tristo cheap Christ cause before us.
Speaker 5: In mono la world needs his light.
Speaker 8: Lu Manita the Louis count.
Speaker 5: As the bridge between garden.
Speaker 4: His his lost Yankee boy Castru.
Speaker 7: We all bridges dialogue and the count solo, so that we can all be in one people, all in peace.
Speaker 5: Franchise. Thank you for Francis, for all.
Speaker 8: All you're grazi t t confrate cardinal.
Speaker 7: Also like my brother cardinals, shelto may whose such a sorry successor feature.
Speaker 5: I mean in c boy into co with.
Speaker 4: Your candles sere lapache.
Speaker 5: Like searching all together for peace and.
Speaker 4: Justice laborare coomne and.
Speaker 7: Working together Jesus and women faithful Christ without fear, mission to be missionaries.
Speaker 4: So no on Filio the Santa Gustino.
Speaker 5: I'm a son of and I'm an Augustinian.
Speaker 8: Queto convoy, sono Cristiano.
Speaker 5: Pepervoy vescovo with with you, I am a Christian for you.
Speaker 4: Taminarians.
Speaker 7: Hey, we all there soula walk together towards that preparato to the place where that God has.
Speaker 5: Prepared for us.
Speaker 2: The translator is nervous.
Speaker 7: To the church, the Roma, special greeting and specials. How we can't together be a missionary the church, the fields, bridges se pre pers always open to receive everyone, just like in the square, to receive everyone can every presents.
Speaker 5: Of dialogue and love.
Speaker 4: Is a permittent.
Speaker 5: Salon agreeing in Spanish.
Speaker 8: Atoss them all of particular amias is the Chiclaio and Peru.
Speaker 9: But especially to the people of my diocese of Chiclio and Peru.
Speaker 5: Don't they.
Speaker 8: Compago as we spoke a compartoto.
Speaker 10: Where we had such faithful people accompanying bishop, and we had such as such faithful people helping the.
Speaker 4: Roma.
Speaker 8: The italiado.
Speaker 5: Is a camina.
Speaker 9: You need to be a sable sendle church.
Speaker 5: Church.
Speaker 10: That's a pilgrim that shows charity always and especially is charitable to those who are suffering.
Speaker 4: Today is Giorgola.
Speaker 9: Today is the day of praying to the to the Madonna Pape.
Speaker 8: Start of each.
Speaker 10: Blessed Mother Mary always wants to be closer to us. She always wants to intercede for us to her love.
Speaker 4: Quest.
Speaker 9: Let us pray together for this new mission.
Speaker 10: The Church, for a peace in the world, that she will help us get the give us a special grace.
Speaker 5: Our mother, Maria, Mary, the Lord is with you.
Speaker 10: You are blessed among women that thru to this blessed is the food of your womb, Jesus, Mother of God.
Speaker 1: He's an Augustinian Order of the Saint Augustine, as opposed to Jesuit priest.
Speaker 2: I guess that's it. They took the microphone away.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have our first American pope here, Leo the fourteenth. That is the name he has taken, addressing the crowd as a mender as I mentioned. A member of the Order of Saint Augustine. He told the Vatican's official news website last year that the bishop is not supposed to be a little prince sitting in his kingdom. He has spent much of his life outside the United States. Ordained in nineteen eighty two, at age twenty seven, received a doctorate and canon law, which is basically being a lawyer of.
Speaker 2: Of Catholicism.
Speaker 8: The apposedly Petrus at Paulus de quorum post.
Speaker 2: Is the lead cardinal. Again, that's just EPs In Domin so he's reading out of the Bible. Yes, the Ppe she.
Speaker 8: Was admeritis pat marie semper virginis biatti, Mikhaelis archangeli biatti Joannis Baptiste at sanctosorum petri at Pauli at omnium sanctorum, mister reatur vestri omnipotens deus omnibus peccatis vestries doc was Jesus Christos at vitam eternam.
Speaker 4: Indulgensium absolute.
Speaker 8: Omnio peccatorum vestorum spatsion vere at fortuos penitency cores semper penitence at.
Speaker 2: That speak Spanish Italian English.
Speaker 8: Sancti spiritus at finalem perseverantia in bonis or peribus tribu at bolbis or nipotence at mister cors Dominus.
Speaker 11: And each one of those they crowds at philly at spiritu sancti that super bols at money at Semper.
Speaker 2: You say super Bowl, I thought I heard Superman.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 2: The Bears aren't going to get close. Wow, what a moment.
Speaker 1: He's been a missionary in Peru, a parish priest, a teacher, a bishop there obviously, made visits around the world described as reserved and discreet.
Speaker 2: It was a very Unamerican qualities, aren't they. I don't he's gonna be down with the well, we don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't know what he will, if he will be as open to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender Catholics the way Francis was. He did say back in twenty twelve that the Western news media and pop culture fostered sympathy for beliefs and practices that are at odds with the Gospel. He did cite the homosexual lifestyle and alternative families compromised of same sex partners and their adopted children.
Speaker 2: But that was twenty twelve. We don't know. We just don't know. We did think that the.
Speaker 1: Church was going to move towards a more conservative bent. Didn't know it would be an American. Yeah, that was That's a real shocker. That is a huge payday at the track.
Speaker 3: And it's not just the America. It's the first pope ever born in North America period. I mean, whether it's Canada, Mexico, America and the idea of I said yesterday, And this may have been naive of me to think that the Church would have a problem with the consolidation of power.
Speaker 2: Again, it doesn't. They work on different levels.
Speaker 3: But if the United States is the de facto leader of the world, how how does this does that have any impact on how the cardinals decided who their pope was going to be.
Speaker 2: And I don't know. I mean, that's the other thing about it.
Speaker 1: We don't get the United States is also a great defender. Let's be clear about that. You're choosing your friends.
Speaker 2: Wisely here, Yeah, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Again, Pope Leo the fourteenth makes his first appearance on the balcony there at Assistine Chapel, where earlier this morning, just a couple hours ago, hour and forty five minutes ago, we saw the white smoke come out of the chimney there at the Assistine Chapel. He's making his way back from the balcony and they're going to party like it's a No ninety nine no or something like that. No, no, party like it's one ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if they if there's a party, there might be, you know, maybe uh, I assume there's some sort of special mass that takes place.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure be a nice noon mass.
Speaker 1: They can throw together something of the Vatican's well seven. Bring out the good Charist, bring out like the nice Eucharist, the good wine, that box stuff. Maybe get a nice red from Paso or something.
Speaker 2: I think they probably have some Italian reds that.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, okay, he's an American pope. Bring out the reds from Passo. For crying out loud, I almost said the wrong thing there this today, of.
Speaker 2: All days, So this is it.
Speaker 3: Robert Francis Prevost, a sixty nine year old American from Chicago, has been elected and has taken the name Leo. So he is the first American pope, the Pope Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: You make fun of me now, but do you know how many meetings are being or should be scheduled right now, or a lot of American industries to capitalize and make money off the fact that we're having our first American pope. I'm not sure how wine alone, oh, Chicago, all of the things I mean, Trump right now is going nuts thinking all about all the money making possibilities, the branding possibilities.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen any.
Speaker 1: The American flag. On one side it's Trump's face, and the other it's Pope Leo. I mean with gold, gold everywhere, gold everywhere, that would be appropriate. It's happening, you know it is. How about we take a break. We'll take a break, We'll reset this.
Speaker 3: And again, there's not much to be said until more information comes out about what Pope Leo wants to do with the Catholic Church, sort of the directions if he's going to veer away from what we saw from Pope Francis or continue some of those policies that Francis had put in place. But again, Pope Leo the fourteenth, the first American pope in the history of the Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 12: Has you're listening to Garriyan Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Bobby, Oh goodness, what do we do now?
Speaker 1: He dominated the four square court. I don't know what games they played, what games. I think kickball and dodgeball were more our generation.
Speaker 2: It would have been early sixties, I'm sure those things were there. Okay, that's why I went for maybe tether ball something like that. I don't know. It's the cold in Chicago. Did they have recess?
Speaker 3: Robert Prevost, cardinal from Chicago, has become the new pope, Pope Leo the Ford.
Speaker 1: Do we gotta get a live look at Chicago? Why have none of the networks shown us Chicago? Not sure it works that way, It's not like there. I'm sure there are people in the streets of Chicago.
Speaker 2: Right think there was a viewing party in the United Center, you know, Frank Sinatra's comeback.
Speaker 3: Sam Giancana Prevost was born in Chicago nineteen fifty five. Father was a Navy vet mom so his dad was a French at a town descent, mother of Spanish descent. We mentioned he spent a lot of time working as a missionary in Peru. Speaks English and Spanish and Italian and French and Portuguese. Was able to make his way through the Latin or earlier when he made his comments from the red comments, I should say from the loggia there the balcony over Saint Peter Square.
Speaker 2: He can read Latin and German as well.
Speaker 1: I mean we even on a Star Wars connection and a show connection. What's the Harrison Ford is from Chicago? Ah, that all coming together perfect.
Speaker 3: So if we get more information about the new American Pope, I mean Wealt Disney.
Speaker 2: Is from Chicago, if I'm correct, if I'm remembering correctly, somewhere Midwest. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Chicago. So maybe there was no other choice, Mike Ditka, because like you said, this was one of the quickest conclaves that we've seen in a while.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the the recent ones have all been about this time frame. When you look at Benedict and you look at Francis, it was both around the same the same time of length of conclave. But this pope seems very affable. He seems like a Pope of the people, does he not? Maybe it's just that Chicago and.
Speaker 2: He well, I've known him for about thirty minutes, but I like him already, So I'm diving into this one. So we'll keep an eye on this new pope news.
Speaker 1: How do they not have someone at like twin Anchors, you know, talking to the people at the bar.
Speaker 2: We got a pope from Chicago. What do you think should name.
Speaker 3: Of the place that we went to, the Angry Goat or the Goat some coach. You didn't go, Oscar, and I went.
Speaker 2: I didn't go to a bar with you guys. Uh yeah, wow, trust us, We listen. We were concerned. That dominated the conversation, which is, I wonder what she's going through. That's shocking. Yeah, maybe I just ditched you guys and went to a different bar.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: And then Oscar did send us a picture just last night because he knew apparently this was going to happen, of us sitting in that place in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Right, so he knew this was coming. It was but that bar.
Speaker 1: I don't remember this shocking, but it was that a gay bar because there's a rainbow flag behind us allegedly. I don't remember going to a gay bar in Chicago.
Speaker 3: I certainly didn't have that feel. I mean, it wasn't like it wasn't a it was a low key if it was. If it was, it was pretty low key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't like going in Philly.
Speaker 5: No, all right.
Speaker 3: The other big big deal today Wall Street is likes the announcement that came out of the White House.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: The Dow is up five hundred and twenty five points. That's about a percent and a quarter. Sm P five hundred. Nasdaq also up today on news that President Trump had come to an agreement with the UK on trade issues, the first big deal since the tariff war ensued last month. A lot of times, it takes months of negotiations to hammer out these trade agreements, and in the announcement today, President Trump did refer to, among other things, the work of not just care Starmer, the Prime Minister of Great Britain in the UK.
Speaker 1: I don't mean to cut you off, but Trump has a statement on the American pope.
Speaker 2: Officially, officially, Okay, go for it, a center of music.
Speaker 3: I can have no Let me play this one thing, and then we've opened up New Harold Access, Howard Lutton.
Speaker 13: Epanoll, beef machinery, all the agricultural products. They've agreed to open their markets, and that will add five billion dollars of opportunity to American exporters.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me play the official opening to whatever happens. When Donald Trump tweets gig gig.
Speaker 2: What do you think he just tweeted it. It's not a tweet, remember, it's truth social Oh it doesn't matter. I can't make one. He hasn't gone back to your X right elon Musk and everything he has to a degree. I mean the pulpe picture of him as the pope that showed up. I'm thinking maybe some America music. Oh you met like serious stuff? Yeah, I mean so.
Speaker 1: President Trump wrote on Truth Social this congratulations to Cardinal Robert Francis Privos, who was just named pope. It is such an honor to realize that he is the first American pope. What excitement and what a great honor for our country. I look forward to meeting Pope Leo the fourteenth. It will be a very meaningful moment. Look at that, Look at that handling it.
Speaker 2: There was going to be a little bit of chest thumping.
Speaker 1: You made it said that will come in the mid afternoon. Yes, but a wonderful opening statement.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to start it.
Speaker 5: Sure is.
Speaker 3: When it comes to that trade agreement that was announced today, the administration has been engaged with all kinds of trade partners over the course of the last month month and a half. That, of course, is when the President rolled out the ten percent tariff on all imported goods and what he called reciprocal tariffs. The UK was not among those countries that was facing the big hikes. It had a baseline tariff of ten percent on its exports, but there were also higher tariffs on things like cars, steel and aluminum. As as you heard Howard Latnick, the Secretary of Commerce there say, we've been able to develop a deal that both sides are happy with a price.
Speaker 1: Speaking about money and vows of poverty and the like, we do have your chance for one thousand dollars.
Speaker 12: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website fun. That's fun f un. Entering now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything. Call the winning attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 3: See a little behind an hour A No, how about about maybe thirty minutes from now, We'll give you another shot at one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: We'll stay on top of everything.
Speaker 1: Coming out of the Vatican, we have a new pope, Pope Leo the fourteenth, Our first American Pope.
Speaker 2: You heard it here first on Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app