Speaker 1: Let's Tiger's Podcast, episode number four hundred and sixteen, post mortem of a thirty four to fourteen defeat to the New Zealand Warriors, joined by Nick and Gary.
Speaker 2: Nick. What's your one word?
Speaker 3: Very hard to come up with a clean one word, Eddie, very boring term. I guess deflating, especially after last week. You know, you get a little bit of a hope up after beating the Roosters and then felt very let down today. So just you know, as a quick I guess the indication of where I am. My street's got quite a few houses being built at the moment, and there's lots of nuts and bolts all over the road and nails, and quite often you drive past and you'll end up with a puncture. And it just feels like watching this team is constantly giving me punchers.
Speaker 2: Hello, you're one word?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Mine is similar to Nick. It's just exhausting.
Speaker 5: This team to support and follow is exhausting, Like it's really hard to keep coming back when we just do dumb stuff and play so poorly and so ill disciplined and so far below where the side that we have to put on the field should be playing. It is just so exhausting and frustrating.
Speaker 1: Joel's word, you guess the boys physicality. He also went with the word nine. He said, it's a disgrace that we've lost nine times in a row to the same opposition. And Steve just went with demolished. He said, that's what happened on both sides of the ruck today. I'll run through this submission from the West Tigers podcast for them. Nat Max seventy eight went with clunky, attack was clung every time we had decent field possession, Seek and destroy went with Dewey. He must go to thirteen next week. Taylor made a left center.
Speaker 2: Vozzi nine.
Speaker 1: He is a long time listener, first time poster. Thank you for contributing.
Speaker 4: Bozzy.
Speaker 2: He just went with Appy.
Speaker 1: We've gone all in on him and we've got zero game plan around him. He went on to say ad needs to stay around around the ruck. Pushed the halves wider to roll. Taylor mays just strike center. Teddy s said Arduus lost the forward battle, lost first contact. We looked better with Hope, ad Leui, Sorry, Louis and Appy looked like reserve graders out there. Ke Wee Tiger said flat we were not up for the grind. Snake was bewildered. He said, he's bewildered because individ rules that spend all week training together look like they have no idea when they get on the field. Re signing Appy for two years looks like a big punt. Plunder Monkey said, out muscled Plenty was in the tigers favor today in regards to the team changes, with the Warriors missing some senior guys and us getting happy in Jerome back however, they belt at us all day Appy in Jerome common theme going here. Boys looked as flat as a day old lemonade. LFC Tiger was deflated. Anytime we get a chink of light, we diminish it. H O nine IQ. We lack so badly in this area of the game, Mike said regression. Apart from the first three minutes, there was not much to like. Rich ometer will pour two steps forward one point five steps back. That's why this is such a long proces s Tiger town SFS said, worrying, how can anyone explain the difference in cohesion attacking threat? He said, I went on to watch Power and Penrith game was a much higher standard. Awful truly and Tiger's eye went with typical, typical game after scoring the first try, flat lack of ideas, poor reads, out muscled bad refereeing, so he got the whole lot in there. Boys, I've morphed into Joel tonight. I've got three one word submissions.
Speaker 4: It's better than the seven he usually has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've reduced I've done well. My first one is not actually a word, but you can picture it because I've got a favorite list of my emojis and they come up in order of the ones I've most used. Nick's already lost it now, but I'm thinking of the big turd with eyes that is the West. Well you're talking about, Nick, A huge turd with eyes is what I said straight after the game, So that is one of them. On a more serious note, I've gone with captains because I think I said to you boys during the week, it's time for our captains to start earning their money. And I was extremely disappointed by both their performances today. And my third one is mentality, and I'm going to get that into that a little bit later when we talk around the press conference and some of our performance today. But Nick, was it a big step backwards today or is it what's to be expected against the top full side away from home.
Speaker 3: Maybe a bit of both. Frustratingly, we seem to be muscled when we come up against the biggest, stronger teams, and I know Joel's physicality, would I think it wrung true today? You know, worries a big across the park. But one of the points you just made Eddie about leadership, I think maybe Jerome's a bit deflated, not just with you know where we're at, I guess with the Tigers as the season's going at the moment, but also off the back of Origin. I think he probably had a bit of an Origin hangover today. He just doesn't look like the same Jerome Lewie that I saw in the first sort of four to eight weeks of the comp when he was really coming out and screaming and jumping up and down and high fiving everyone as he ran out through the tunnel we know when he first ran into the field. Just looks a different player, happy, looks beaten. In the press conferences, he just looks like he wants to go in a hole and hide it or cry. So it's just I think they're all deflated. I think everyone can see which direction the season's going, and unfortunately it's going down that toilet spend again, the same way it has gone for the last twelve to thirty years.
Speaker 2: Gary, what side of the ledger do you sit on? Top four?
Speaker 1: Side away? Excusable or big step backwards.
Speaker 5: No, you can't excuse that performance today at all. And I was a little bit I was a little bit disappointed with Benji's press conference and I think you're going to raise it a bit later. Yeah, I think we made too many excuse today for what was a really poor performance, really dumb performance. The amount of and I think Rats used the her one word as being IQ and the lack of footy IQ that our side displayed today was unforgivable. And everyone keeps on raising the word physicality. It comes down to one thing. We don't win the first contact. So we don't win the first contact when we have the ball, and we don't win the first contact when we're defending. And if you can't do that against the aside, like the Warriors, they're just going to steamroll straight through you and keep going straight through the middle, which is what we saw, especially in that second half to day. We never win that first contact, and if we want to be a serious team, then we need to start winning that first contact or our performances are going to be as inconsistent as what we're seeing at the moment. First contact is paramount for this team to get that sorted and get that sorted out really quick.
Speaker 1: Got a few bullet points written down here, boys, so we will touch on later. The forward pack. I want to single out three players in particular for different reasons. That's going to be our two captains and Adam Dewey, and there's a few other talking points. But Gary, you mentioned that press conference, and I've written a few things down, so it's not exact quotes, but it's close to the mark from what Benji said. He was another one who morphed into Joel. He said we were out physical. Credit to the boys that they fought hard.
Speaker 2: I've heard that before.
Speaker 1: Maybe scoring the try earlier, we thought it was going to be easier than what it was. We're better in moments, but we still need to improve. We're inconsistent within games. I've got to find out what makes players tick every week. Long term picture, we're on track. What did you make of that?
Speaker 5: There was a lot there, he said today that I don't agree with. As I said earlier. We were done and lacked in that first contact, and we lacked mentally and physically throughout that game today. And Benji also in that press conference praise the Warriors. The Warriors weren't that good today, like he said, they were a really good team, not what they put out on the field today. I didn't think they were anything outstanding.
Speaker 4: And I'm sick of the excuse.
Speaker 5: I'm sick of hearing that we're on an upward trend or things are going in the right direction. I think things probably are going in the right direction, but we're up and down all over the place. And that's the issue for me, the inconsistency from week to week throughout the game. That's Benji's job to fix, and he needs to get it fixed, because I've waited long enough, like it's what's fifteen years will be soon that we haven't played finals football. We need to get this sorted out, and it needs to happen quick, and it's based around at times today you haven't got that first try of the Warrior squad, and I'm ranting and wandering all over the track, all over the place at the moment.
Speaker 4: But that first try the Warrior scored.
Speaker 5: Today, where he was able to run around just about under the post to score a try that they scored from a couple of meters out.
Speaker 4: That should never ever happen. You should not.
Speaker 5: That to me shows a lack of intent and a lack of intensity. And I turned to Steve when it happened and I said, I'm really worried about that.
Speaker 4: That's not a good sign. And they're the.
Speaker 5: Things that we need to improve. They're the things we're hoping that would improve when we brought a guy like Jerome Loui into the club who was going to lift up the standards of the team. But before that first try, he stepped in front of a player off a bomb and I got done for an escort penalty that wasn't needed and was just a dumb play. There was far too many dumb plays, far too many low effort plays, and the standards that I was hoping that Lui was going to set at our club, they were non existent today, and that's something we need to get sorted out.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 1: Your takeaways from the press conference, I don't know if you've seen it, but I've given you enough quotes there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did watch it, and I mean think Gary's covered at all the fact that the one thing that wrapped me the wrong way is what Gary already said that Benji praised the Warriors for being such a good team, and I think he's just sort of pumping them up a little bit to cover or you know, throw a smoke screen against how bad or how poor we were. So you know, you can't make excuses for poor performances, especially when it happens so frequently. So like I said, you know, I had my hopes up last week. I thought we came out quite strongly last week and that showed on the scoreboard. Yes, we fell away a little bit when we hit that lead because we didn't know how to actually go on and win that game the way the good team would or should. But yeah, today was a complete, complete, you know, turn around from that. You know, we led after what two minutes we scored that first tray out in the corner. Scotton was jumping around like good won the Grand Final and made the finals already, and then only a handful of minutes later the Warriors scored. Like Gary said, it was soft. I thought anytime the Warriors today through any type of shape at our back line, we just looked like we're going into our shells. We didn't know how to handle it. We looked scattered at times in defense, and it was just it was too easy. So, you know, I know we've got some possibilities of who we might be able to bring up from the reserve grade team, but we look like a reserve grade team at times for me today.
Speaker 5: The reason why we were unable to handle that shape they threw out us today. A lot of times we just were out numbered on those that side of the field. It wasn't that they were stripping us with numbers, was that the numbers weren't there to start with, And a lot of that came down because the Warriors were punching through the middle so much and our middle was collapsing at times. It looked like we almost miscounted the amount of space they had out on that left edge especially. I think it just was unforgivable today, and I don't understand, like, I really don't understand why we're so short so many times out there because the shape they ran today wasn't anything amazing, Like they didn't have to do a lot to score those tries because there was just no one there.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's going on without defense. It looks like to me at times, we make a lot of really poor defensive decisions. And I watched I'm the saddest. I watched the highlights before we jumped on his pod, just to try and I don't get a few of the moments back fresh in my mind. But a few times I saw a Skelton come in and commit to it, you know, a defensive move, or commit to an attacker when he probably should have stayed out. So to would do it as well. So I don't know whether they're not trusting the people inside them or just panicing trying to shut it down too quickly. But it just looks messy. And yeah, as he said, it just made it so easy for the warriors. Strip numbers happened too frequently. It's not good enough. It's not Enter or Cordy.
Speaker 1: All right, Gary, it's time for my rant tonight. I wasn't going to host to night, but I was going to say, Joel, I need to come on for ten minutes. And I'm going to qualify this by saying three things about Benji. I think in general, over his eighteen months He's dealt with the press really well through some hard times. You know, I think his selections in general make sense a lot of the time. The second qualifier is that was a home press conference for him over in New Zealand, and he is a godlike figure over there, so there's no doubt he was interacting different with those journalists than he would to the Sydney meet. And I think that's I'm not going to give him a pass with the amount of praise he gave the Warriors, but he also talked about the crowd and you know, it was like we were playing against God over there. So I give him half a pass for that, and I three, I still want him to be our coach next season because I think he has made some improvements.
Speaker 2: He's improved our roster. But but that was a ghastly press conference.
Speaker 1: That was an awful press conference, and his mood reflected how the team played today. And that's why I use the word mentality. His mentality when he played, he was not consistent. He was a brilliant player, Benji Marshall, but he was not a consistent player. And I've highlighted Gary what's happened after our last four wins all right. After we beat Newcastle, we turned it up against Paramatta and got spanked on Easter Monday, and what was a huge game for the club after our win against the Sharks, we actually won, but trendous against the Dragons. They had twelve line breaks to two. Should have lost except for that lunatic from the Dragons who dropped the ball over the line and ball around one hundred and ten meters. So then after two wins in a row, we went and got pumped sixty four niel by Melbourne and looked like we completely didn't care, didn't want to be there. And then after this, lads, we know with the Roosters, we go and get pumped in what was a flattering scoreline. I mean it was extremely flattering with eight minutes to go thirty four to fourteen. I still thought was flattering for the way we played. But then at the end of the press conference, you know he's laughing about I feel like I'm saying my eulogy here, Like I don't want to see my head coach laughing in a press conference after we got pumped. It's not the place to do it, you know, I know there's time for a laugh in a grueling season with the media, but it's not the time when you've just got pumped because you're sending a message to the players, you're sending a message to your fans, and you're sending a message to everyone that this is all right. We got beaten by a top four side. It's a great crowd out here to New Zealand. Well done to the Warriors. So I thought that was a borderline pathetic press conference by Benji Marshall, and I'm really concerned Gary about that. I thought it was, to be fair, it's an outlier of what he's produced this year, and I know it's going off the media, but I was alarmed watching that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get at times in those press conferences you want to speak differently to the press how you're speaking to your team. So at times during press conferences you want to paint up the positives and then when you go back behind closed doors, you speak to the team about what you really feel and give them the message. But today just simply wasn't good enough. And there's been too much of that this season. I think it was really time that that needed to be called out in a press conference. After that game today, I really thought I would have heard Benji say today.
Speaker 1: I was expecting that because we only got one or two of them in a year in you.
Speaker 5: But now's the time they needed. And it's not just the players that need to hear it. I think our fan base needs to hear that that sort of standard that we saw today is no longer acceptable at our club. That we're not going to talk anymore about us going in the right direction. We're going to call out. And I agree with you, Eddie, you don't do it every week, but I thought today was the day to call out that this is not good enough for our club, This is not good enough for our team, this is not the type of performance we want to see and where we will be better next week. But there was none of that today. I thought it was too It was too easy of a press conference compared to the performance that we saw today, and that, for me is what was disappointing. And it's really hard because I'm sure the players are feeling that rollerca so that we're all feeling, but we can't do anything about that. The players and the coaching stuff can do something about that. And I wanted to hear more from our coach after that game than what he actually dished up this afternoon.
Speaker 3: I think it's really clear that and app he said, you know during that press conference, you know that you know, we love him, you talk about Benji and will do anything for him, blah blah blah. He's obviously extremely well respected by the playing group, and he's obviously extremely well respected, like the commentary said, you know in New Zealand as a whole, and that those journalists that came out to the press conference obviously treated him with a lot of respect. I don't think anyone's really hitting him hard enough with those questions, like they're sort of tiptoeing around it a bit, like you know, asking him questions how did you feel and how do you think you're going? And you know what's wrong and blah blah blah. But it was too soft, and I think Benji just feels like for me watching him, it's almost like he's elevated on his eyechair and he's just not being probed enough. You know, someone needs to hit him with a cattle prod in the butt and get more of a reaction out of him, because like all you're saying, Eddie, you know, Craig Bellamy wouldn't act like that at a press conference after his team put in a very average performance. So there's got to be more to it. And I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 3: It's one thing to come out and talk about that in front of the media and maybe you will go behind closed doors and say it differently. But I don't know if he does. Does he like is he going in and ripping the team to shreds, because they deserve to be ripped to shreds. Some of those individual performances deserve to be pulled apart by the head coach. I don't know if that's happening or not, but it needs to happen.
Speaker 5: That the players coming out and saying we respect the coach, we play for the coach is getting a little bit old. I think it's time that that is shown on the field, that that they go out there and they play in a way that shows that they're playing for Benji Mush because at times it doesn't look that way. At times it's just not the application and the effort is just not good enough at times. And I thought there are a number of occasions today where the application and the effort just wasn't good enough. So I don't think the players have too many more opportunities to say we love Benji, we respect him as a coach, we're playing for him. He's a great coach. I don't think they have too many more opportunities to say that, because they need to start showing it. They need to start showing it on the field because today, Yeah, if anyone can't tell, I'm very annoyed with what we dished up today.
Speaker 1: It's the thing Gary like that the words don't match the actions. And obviously there's two sides going out there competing, so there's always one side that's going to lose.
Speaker 2: So but like.
Speaker 1: It's all well and good to have, and you want a coach to have a strong relationship with their captains.
Speaker 4: But the.
Speaker 1: Scary thought I had today is is this club becoming a bit of a boys club? Because if he's not going to challenge Appy and Jerome And we don't know this, we're not in the walls of Concord, but I think they need to be challenged on what they dished up today.
Speaker 5: Our two captains, yeah, I don't think over them were good enough today. And there's a couple other things I want to raise about their play when we get a bit further into the pot as well. But their leadership I don't think was strong enough today. As I said earlier, I wasn't happy with the standards that Drome set out on the field today. I wasn't happy with that really dumb play of stepping in front of that player coming through.
Speaker 4: On the bomb.
Speaker 5: Those sort of things we need better from our captains, and I thought they'll both played quite poor today. But it's those standards I want to see from them that's what needs to improve for me.
Speaker 3: Talking about challenging players within the group, you know, there's obviously rumors that came out and depressed not long ago about Benji putting a bit of heat in a tackle on Adam Dewey. He's probably one player that's actually stood up recently and come out and shown what he can do. Like he was really impressive. I know, we'll talk about the game. He was really impressive today. He's been pretty good lately as a whole, but especially when they moved into the middle during that back after the game today, he really showed I guess what we've sort of been talking about, whether it could feel that lock position for a while. Yeah, he for me, he stood up. He looks like he's got some value still, so be interesting to see which way he goes at the end of this season.
Speaker 1: Let's hone in on the three individuals I mentioned before. We'll stick with Loui for now. Gary, and there's there's mitigating factors. He's coming off a huge Origin campaign, which is always mentally draining going across New Zealand, play a game four days later after you've lost a decider, and like we've all mentioned, the forwards were decimated today and I don't think any halfs probably would have won that game for their team. But in terms of his actual play at five eight, I'm still looking at it and going we look at disorganized. We don't know that people aren't on the same It's starting to concern me long term.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I am starting to worry about his level of play. I've given him a fair bit of excuses myself this year for how he's been coming along. At first, it was that he was he was feeding Locky Galvin and that was taking him out of the game a little bit. And then then all the drama around Locky Galvin kind of I had in my mind that that was holding him back, but there's really I think he's kind of ran out of excuses. I think it's time that that level of play needs to go to another level. And and like he's a guy who's on one point three million dollars and we need better than what we saw from him today. We need we need more involvement than what we saw from him today. As a club, we can't afford to have Jerome's injecting himself in the game every now and then. We need his hands on the ball a lot, and we need a lot better decision making from him. Like he had a couple of really nice moments today. I thought that combination with Sam Feyin, who I think is coming along really nicely, and he was very close to putting him through a couple of holes the day. I thought the kick for the repeat set was a beautiful kick. But we need more of that. We need more of those stronger moments and a lot less of those moments where he crabs across the field and gets a little bit lost and kind of then runs around in a little bit of a circle. We need to get that out of his game and get the more direct play and those plays where he's linked up with Sam or he's putting in a nice kick.
Speaker 4: We need more of that, Nick.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's a fair point that Gary's making. Like the first month he's got excuses because he's adapting to a new system, new club, new combinations. Second month, Oh, Galvin's hogging the ball. He's getting seventy percent of the ball. Who is taking a step back because he's a great bloke. Next month he's playing Origin. Latu hasn't been there, Like, I don't know, are we being unfair here?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it's hard to it's hard to really, Like I was very critical in it, you know, when I was speaking earlier about Leui unhappy, you know, and where our leadership was today. But just thinking about the game a bit more, you know, we got rolled up the middle. Like Gary said, we were well and truly beaten physically. You know, I thought their forwards dominated our team. Our forwards were quite soft, I thought, with exception of I thought Ciani Finer was brilliant. Again, I'm still not sure he was. He came off the bench, didn't He didn't start today. He came off the bench, Yeah, whereas I would be starting him. But when you look at our bench too, Tristan Hope, save farth Cioni and Jack Byrd. It's interesting because when I think about that Dog's game, I know Galvin was dropped just not long before the game started, But when I listened to Serrealo's press conference, he spoke about his reasons, and he thought he just wanted a bigger forward pack. He thought he wanted to go with four forwards against that Cowboys team because he thought they'd need to dominate a bit more up the middle. And to me, that's a smart move and a gutsy move too. But I don't know what we've got in the back pocket. I know Royce Hunt, I don't know how he went in reserves. Gary, do you've got any idea how Royce went.
Speaker 5: I didn't say the whole game. I've only seen highlights of it, so yeah, I don't know how to went today.
Speaker 3: So now, the last couple weeks, he's been pretty good and his stats have been a lot better, so maybe he's still on the nose. But and I know Steve said he's the type of player that we do need back in the team to provide a bit of impact, because I don't think we've got that impact apart from Sione, so c one's been coming on making immediate impact. I think he's first hit up today, run for about twenty meets. He just carried about four blocks, you know along my way pussy advantage line with him. But yeah, I don't know. I want to give Jerome a little bit of a benefit of the doubt only because what is his second game with Latu, and Latwo's only a kid, He's only twenty years old and in his second full light in minute game of NRL. But it's worrying signs. And like I said earlier today as well, what have we got seven games left? So for me, it's seven games left to give the Fens some type of hope of what we might be able to see next year. Because if we're going into next season off the back of performances like today, and I'm very worried, I don't know what we can do to turn it around.
Speaker 1: Gary, there were varying levels of excitement when Jerome joined. They're also varying levels of concern around whether he could become a half back and the main man as he wanted to be now not through his fault, but I think it's obvious already that that number seven plan is out the window. Shane Richardson went after Adam Reynolds last two. Fine, who's now playing at halfback? Jerome's playing in the six. But my point is, are we asking him to do something that he hasn't done before? And I'm not talking about even playing halfback. I'm looking at how he played at Penrith with that ball playing lock and we've got to look at it. In the last twenty five minutes today with Adam Dube, who's not Isaiah Yo. Please don't confuse him with that with Yo, but it all of a sudden seemed to straighten the team up. It got Jerome wider on that left probably less involved, but more quality to his touches. Is that the way forward?
Speaker 5: I think that move of Adam Dewey being put into that lock roll today during that game, I think that's the final kind of nail in the coffin of Loui being the halfback moving forward.
Speaker 4: I don't see.
Speaker 5: Him taking on that role and I one hundred percent believe that for the next couple of weeks we need to put Adam doing in that lock and see what he can do there. I think it's really important I've been crying out for a guy who can play thirteen, who can ball play for I don't know, for years now. I think it's been one of our biggest issues.
Speaker 1: It's also Gary come nearly the most important position. We're definitely the most important position outside the spine in the game.
Speaker 5: No, it's to the point now where I am almost at the point where you consider it as part of the spine. So an extra player in your spine, because I think it's that crucial Yo, as you said, shows.
Speaker 4: How important that role is at Penrith.
Speaker 5: The lock in sides that play that way, they play your traditional kind of seven role. It's a little bit different because they're you're looking for a bigger guy who's able to run the ball as well, who's able to push out one hundred one hundred and twenty meters a game meter ridge. But their ball playing and getting into first receiver is almost like a traditional halfback.
Speaker 1: YO.
Speaker 5: You could put in and play him as a halfback because that's the style of player he plays. So I thought we looked a lot better today when dew we went into that role. I thought Leui looked at his best. When when do we went into that role? I thought it, as you said, it straightened him up really nice. It gave him a little bit more space out wide, and I really want to see us do that moving forward.
Speaker 4: And it looked good today.
Speaker 5: But I also I'm fairly confident that's not something that we've trained with for training either. So I'm a little bit concerned that we're kind of adapting like that on the run and making those sort of changes. But I do want to see what this can look like if we do put him into that role. We do train with him in that role, and for me, I think this is an opportunity have a positioned for him to play in our club moving forward. I want to see over the next two weeks how he can go in that role, and then you look at signing him up for next year to play that thirteen role. I think it's really important, It's desperately needed. My only concern is how he handles that defensive workload in the middle. I've had concern as it's about his defense all through his career, and but let's put him in there for the next couple of weeks and see how he can handle that role, because it could work out to be a bit of a master stroke for us, because I thought we looked a much better team when he stepped into that role today.
Speaker 1: Nick, you praised his game earlier, I got to say, like, the manly game was probably our best. I thought he's probably our best today. Even even before he moved into the lock role, he was having a fairly strong game out the Center's had some couple of defensive lapses, I think early for one of their tries, but I think it's probably a no brainer the position we're in. We're not going to make the eight. Yes, we want to win every game, but I think we've got to try something to help to help Jerome and help our halves and get a little bit more nouse maybe in the middle of the field.
Speaker 3: It's a funny way. Yeah, it's a funny one, isn't it, Because you know, not that long ago, you know, Gary said he never doing the halves ever. Again, we stuck him out in the center, and you know, I agreed as well that I thought center was doing his best.
Speaker 4: I still don't want him in the halves, mate.
Speaker 3: No, no, fair enough. But last week he was pushed into the halves with Jerome out, and he played a really, really good game and he backed himself as a ball player, And I know that we've floated the idea of a thirteen for quite a long time and spoken about that many times on the pod, But I guess we've got a glimpse of it today. But yeah, maybe we can use these last seven games as an opportunity to have a look at him in that thirteen roll. Like you were saying, Gary, I don't know if i'd start him, because I think I'd rather take a bit of the heat out of the game or sting out of the game, and maybe bring him on off the bench. You could still plan for sixty minutes, sixty four, five minutes if necessary. He really did add a hell of a lot in our attacking game this afternoon. But I also think his defense is holding up. I didn't think he had it in him. I think he's gone to another level this year with his defense. Even when he was tackling in the middle. Today he looks really strong and probably a lot stronger than some of the people outside of him too. So whether he's happy to be at thirteen, I don't know, But you know it's worth a crack because I know that we've asked questions, where are we going to get a thirteen from You know, I was talking about heathering in from the Broncos, but I don't know what's happening with him. But like Steve said, we've got Dewey sitting there under our noses the whole time. You know, why not give him a crack? So it makes sense, you know, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: Look, if we're going to put him into that role, I think I'd probably be starting him. I know I've spoken about defensive issues, but we can't afford to have slow starts in games where we need to get our best side out there. We need to be taking advantage of any opportunities we have early, and I think playing him in that thirteen year ole probably gives us the best chance.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 5: The other thing I do want to raise around that first receiver sort of conversation is there was a number of times today where for some reason, we had Stafford Torre's first receiver on the right hand side of the field, and I found that really perplexing today that would have one.
Speaker 1: He could play five to eight months before for us. I know you're not saying suggesting that, but like maybe I just got a tactic.
Speaker 4: I just thought it was really odd, and I know.
Speaker 5: My only thoughts around it can be is we do that with Buller and maybe we're trying to generate a little bit of attack on that right hand side, a bit of a surprise attack. I don't know, but I found it really odd today that he was getting into first receiver on that right hand side a few times.
Speaker 1: I think it's obvious, even if it's not Adam Dewey Nick, that we need a ball playing lock like they can sort of be created, like guys like Delan Walker. People thought he was finished, but he's really valuable the way paramount of play. I was watching him play today. He's almost forced to play halfback with Mitch Moses not there, but it's perfect sort of link man, And I've just got this almost sinking feeling that, you know, Isaac Moses, the bird's flowing. If we want to keep doing like he's just employed Isaac Moses, he's going to be able to that performance today are garant like a guy playing for a contract. He's obviously hungry, he's playing well. He's now showed his versatile and potentially a lock for a side going forward, so he's not going to make it easy for us to re sign him or cheap.
Speaker 3: No, he's not like Steve mentioned you know this afternoon to us as well, it would be very like the West Tigers. Still, who's dee, he wouldn't it after he's showing potentially that he could slide into that lockroll. So yeah, it'd be annoying to lose him if we do. Geez Richer, I hope you've got something up your sleeve, mate, because Kype his paws are really good bye coming to the background next year. But yeah, thirteen, if he could fill that hole, then that's perfect for us. But if not, jeez, we've got to get someone equivalent, if not better, to slide into that thirteen jersey. So yeah, it's some nervous times coming up. I think as a West Tigers fan, this offseason is going to be massive as well.
Speaker 5: Well, look, let's not get too carried away with him in that thirteen role yet he's he's spent what twenty five it's or something.
Speaker 2: Like the Mandly game where he like the sides out of the game. Let's go in there and have a crack.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's well, it is a bit easier I think doing it in the last twenty minutes of the game game, but it's very small sample size.
Speaker 5: What you're saying, it's an incredibly small sample size. And one thing we've seen from Adam Dewey over the years is that he can go out there and he can have a strong period of game where he can have a strong game. But it's doing that week after week after week that I think he's had difficulty with over.
Speaker 4: The length of his career.
Speaker 5: So yes, I think there is potential there for him in that thirteen role. I'm not going out and breaking the bank to sign him in that role tomorrow. I'm not resigning him tomorrow. He still needs to show he can fulfill that role otherwise he's roll at our club next year, especially when you see the form of one of our centers in reserve grade today, his role in our club next year at this point would be a backup half.
Speaker 1: That's where even though Gary's probably been our best player too the last three weeks.
Speaker 5: He's been our best player at other times during his career as well, And it's that consistency and it's finding that spot for him because right now, I don't think moving into next season he's going to be in our top two centers in our side, and I don't think he's going to be one of our halves. So we need to find that place for him, and we need to work out whether that thirteen is that spot for him in our team next year.
Speaker 1: I think I'm jumping the guard Gary. I think I'm reciting him even if he probably won't accept one year. But like I look at our squad, whatever you think of do he's a first grader? Like, he's a first grader, and how many first graders do we have?
Speaker 4: Where are you playing him?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but Bulldog's got absolutely crucified for citning hate utilities.
Speaker 2: How are they going?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, look I don't disagree with that, but there's got to Like Taylor May scored three tries to in reserve grade, I would be having him in the centers next week.
Speaker 2: I want to see that.
Speaker 1: But look look at like kurk Man and Jared Salmon, all these guys are telling you to be outstanding signings for Canterbury that were like.
Speaker 5: And Adam Dewey could do the same. But he needs to show it for me. I'm not going out and offering him a contract when I'm not sure where he plays next year yet, for he really needs to show that he's in for that kind of thirteen role.
Speaker 3: For me, if you don't give Dowey to thirteen Jersey, then it's either Alex twelve continue or you go outside the club. So I'm looking at I'm looking at zero tacker website now. So off contract blocks, there aren't many for next season. Jack Debellon's listed, but he's going to paramatter's.
Speaker 4: Signing your thirteen off a twenty five minute performance.
Speaker 3: No, but I think what we've got in the club, he's probably the best option.
Speaker 5: I don't disagree with Well, to be honest, I don't know that yet because I don't know how he's going to hold up defending in the middle.
Speaker 3: Or who else have we got in the club? Who else have we got that would be a better thirteen option?
Speaker 2: There's no one.
Speaker 4: What if you can't tackle?
Speaker 2: I think I think that's more a mentality thing. Gary.
Speaker 1: I think we know he can tackle, like he's not. His lack of peace has probably been exposed in the centers. It's all going to be, you know, is he up for it? Like physically.
Speaker 2: Can't do it?
Speaker 5: Playing at six a number of times over the years he's been bumped off in front on one on one tackles. Now he's going to have to make a lot of those playing in that lock role.
Speaker 1: Don't you get a little bit more like sorry to keep butting in, but don't you get a little bit more help in terms of men around you in the middle. I know it's more like running it him next week, and that will happen. That's a challenge you.
Speaker 5: Do, but you do, you still get isolated, and we need him to be able to make those one on one tackles. And I'm not saying no to to playing him at lock. I'm playing him at Lock next next week. But I want to see more than a twenty five minute sample size before I go and lock him in as our number thirteen for next year, because that's not enough for me.
Speaker 4: We need to see more than that.
Speaker 2: I'm onnly basing it off. How I think the market might react.
Speaker 1: I think a couple of clubs might be interested after that little cameo today, but let's talk happy chorus out. The Skipper was back today Nick after the concussion against Manly, but pretty forgettable afternoon for Appy. Obviously, his forwards had no momentum, so there wasn't many opportunities for him to get out of Dummy Half and do what he can creatively. But I'm starting to worry, man. I sort of palmed off that decision with the Silver that he got to back the coach. But I just don't know. Man, Like two years based off extending from twenty six to the end of twenty eight, he's starting to fall off some tackles. I guess he's always fallen off a few tackles. But I'll be honest, he looked old out there today, and that's harsh. And he's he's a bloody good player and he's a better player than the Silver. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the end of twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks worn out to me. He just looks like he's completely shot.
Speaker 2: So fresh today. What reason was there to be worn out?
Speaker 3: Headaches?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is he still suffering some of that concussion from a couple from a few weeks ago. I'm not sure, But that knock on that he did from Dummy Half. When's the last time app he's just dropped the ball like that? That was basic mistake in the commentary. I think said that you know, you could watch another one hundred games. He wouldn't do it again, but he did look very weary.
Speaker 4: Happen.
Speaker 3: As I said earlier in the pres conference, just looks sad. He just looks completely dejected. You know, has he even signed a contract extension? Because if I were happy, would I want to stay at the Tigers for another three years or whatever it is, or a couple of years extension beyond the current end dad, or you know, we're just art fresh and go to the Bears and earned some money for your last ye twilight years. I don't know what to want to do. I know he's he loves Benji, he loves Jerome Daruba, all those boys. You know that it's a boys club and they want to get the Tigers out of the hole that they're in. But I don't know, it's really hard to say. I've just let you know, to Silver go. So we don't have that immediate fall back option anyway. Tristan Hope's not the four back option. And this young Jared Award's too young anyway, So he's what two or three years away from playing any regular first grade regardless. So yeah, I feel sorry for happy. He just looks worn out.
Speaker 1: It's tricky Garry because he's like he's off the back of a beaten Ford pack most weeks and his three years here. But I do think his powers might be waning. Like he's had a couple of unbelievable games this year which have masked probably a lot of average games. And I feel he's had a lot more average games this year than he's previous two years. Is that unfair? I'm being skating tonight or not.
Speaker 4: Look, I don't think he was great today, like I thought he was quite poor.
Speaker 5: I'm willing to give him the odd one. He's a guy that gives 's all for our side. I actually don't think Jared Hayward is that far off Nick. I don't expect him to be two three years away. I think we'll see him play next year. The guy's eighteen. He's eighteen, so I don't think he's that far away, and I think we'll start to see him coming to the side at some point next year. You have a guy like Talon to Silver, he'd devoted at around the eighteen year old mark, so I expect we'll be using him at some point at least next year and then a bigger role coming on after that moving forward. But Happy needs to be better than what he was today, and I'm sure he knows he needs to be better than he was today.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 5: I do have concerns about the length of that contract, and it does worry me at his age, signing a player for like, we've still got another three years to go, and I think at times we overplay him, like the amount of times we and I'm not going to use that as an excuse today because he didn't play last week, but the amount of games where we're playing him for eighty minutes, I don't think he's at that point of his career where he should be playing eighty minutes probably at all.
Speaker 4: I think we should always.
Speaker 5: Have someone on to take part of that role, and I think once we get to next year that will be Haywood, And over the course of the next three years, I think that transition to Hayward, which we kind of all thought was going to happen with the Silver, I think that transition will to Hayward will happen over the next three years.
Speaker 3: On Haywood and all of our young kids in general. Are we debuting them too young? Because whatever. What other clubs are debuting eighteen nineteen year old every season.
Speaker 5: We're definitely doing that. But that's going to happen when you're aside that's one three wooden spoons in a row. You're going to be trying new things. You're going to be trying to get young guys into your club, You're going to be trying to get them out into the field.
Speaker 4: For an example, Makassini.
Speaker 5: I would not be playing him this year, and lots of people, including people on our pod, have called for him to play as soon as he turns eighteen.
Speaker 4: I don't see the rush in that. I don't see the Russian bringing a guy as.
Speaker 1: Talking about me, Gary, There's a difference between playing him and playing him into the ground. Like other clubs debut young players, they give him a taste and then they put him back. We sort of put him there and then they stay there and then they get burned out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't disagree with that as well, Eddie.
Speaker 5: I just don't see the need to play a guy at the week after returns eighteen, especially when I think Toller's had a fairly good season this year. But I'm actually quite worried about him because I thought he looked busted again today. There's something wrong with his elbow and at times, yeah, he was carrying that right arm really badly. So we may get to the point where we don't have a choice but to play Macassini, but I'd like to wait, and I'd like to wait as long as possible for Haywood as well. So just to circle back to where we actually started that conversation fro him.
Speaker 2: Let's switch sort of to the forwards.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry to our listeners if I'm being overly negative tonight, but I just they were the three main talking points for me is that the two Skippers and Dewey on the positive side of things. But Gary, the forward pack today was comprehensively beaten by the Warriors. I thought, even with Terrell May, it's interesting, like I compare him in like the really really early stages of Like an Appy, like I thought today he was sort of backing into some tackles a little bit. It wasn't much cut and thrust there. I know he got a rest just before halftime, but I think that's a warning shot for guy like Benji, even though he was elite playing eighty minutes for the first thirteen or fourteen rounds this year that maybe you're squeezing the lemon dry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd like to see him getting those breaks.
Speaker 5: I was really pleased, and he got one last week as well, So this is two weeks in a row we've taken him off in the first half, So with about ten minutes ago, we've given him a break. I'm guessing, and I am only guessing, but I would hope that the club's analyzing his training data quite closely, and you should see if there is a little bit of fatigue building up over the season. You just see his training data drop off a little bit. So I'm hoping that if they've noticed that, and that's kind of why that rest is coming, because I think it's very much needed. But I still think, and to hit your point on the forwards, we're still that starting prop short. We need a guy who can Terrell May is not, especially in that first twenty minutes of the game.
Speaker 4: He's not that impact guy.
Speaker 5: He's not that guy that runs at one hundred miles an hour and damages the line.
Speaker 4: He quite early in games, he gets.
Speaker 5: Put on his back and that was the biggest thing for me today. Our forwards were just getting put on their back all game, lose a first contact and up on your back. The only one of our forwards who was really getting to their stomach regularly was Alex Toyle. Early in the game. He was finding his stomach and getting a decent play of the ball. Everyone else was getting put on their back time and time and time again today and that's why our play the ball speed looks so much lower than theirs. That's why it looked like the Warriors were laying all over us, because you're allowed to lay over us if you put us on our back. We're got to get that sorted out. And I think we need to go to market and find a guy. And there is a guy available who can actually cause it. Josh pa Paley.
Speaker 2: Oh sign him tomorrow, wouldn't you? Surely?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent? He's exactly what the leader as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's exactly what we need to kind of round out our forward pack because I think he's the exact type of player and he's getting on in age and I know he's getting close to the retirement, but I would definitely take him because I think he adds what we're missing.
Speaker 1: A bit surprised, Nick the last few weeks, I've switched back up to the newer Pole starting and off the bench. Like pol I thought had a really ordinary game today with his hands and a couple of mistackles and whatnot. But as soon as he come on was I thought he was actually probably one of the few that made a little bit of an impact.
Speaker 3: He's really jumped out of his shell this year. He's gone to a whole new level that I didn't know was in him. He's very impactful. He's runs a hard, he tackles hard, he links up well with his you know, with the other players in the team. Yeah, we've said before I'd start and probably put Pole back on the bench. Yeah, probably had had an off day to day, he made a few CILLI A It's like quite a few of the players did, and I think Polo is more of an impact player anyway. But yeah, I definitely start. I do kind of agree with what you're saying, Gary. I think I think Therell's probably he is a workhorse, but is he being burnt out already? He's probably played a lot bigger minutes this year than he has in previous seasons. He doesn't have the impact of a poll or even at the way that he runs the ball. He's very different in the way that he that he doesn't hit the line as hard, but he's a lot more difficult to bring down. So there's there's a different aspect of the Torell's game. But yeah, Eddie, I love him. I wish I wish there was another fan out that we could throw in the full pack.
Speaker 2: Just there is he's in jail at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, I forgot about that one. Actually, Wenesday Dufy release anytime, So.
Speaker 1: Super released next year apparently, but apparently is not going to register him till twenty thirty, so I probably have to forget.
Speaker 2: About that one.
Speaker 5: Bigger Terrell may his best form is when he actually plays longer minutes.
Speaker 4: He's best form at the Roosters.
Speaker 5: We're actual games where he played more minutes, but one hundred percent, he needs that little bit of a break right now. Is at a point in the in the season where he's pushed out eighty minutes, Yeah it wouldn't hurt, but yeah, a little bit of a breakover the next couple of weeks. I think we're doing the world a good You won't get the same level play out of him that I think you get when he plays those bigger minutes, but I think he does need that rest.
Speaker 1: Just looking at some of the stats, Nick and I really didn't bother going through the stats today because unfortunately I had eyes so I had to see that game. But I did notice four point zero four seconds average play the ball speed, and Jared Sutton, I'm not even going to winge about you because you're not even worth winging about, because I could winge every week about how poor referee you are. But there were four of our forwards, Paul May, Suker and Bird that were sort of mid fours in play the ball, which so basically they got put on their ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how's that rate in comparison to other teams?
Speaker 1: Bridge the average is a bit of a theory going around that the Landys has asked for the referees to try and average three and a half or three point seven second play the balls for both teams so teams fight, which is a conspiracy theory, But today it was a pretty clear difference. So four point four is about a slow. Four point zero four is about as slow as you get for a team. But I thought it was probably warranted the way we ran the ball.
Speaker 3: And we're getting a manhandle on the ground, which comes back to Joel's physicality too, so you know, out muscled right across the field and obviously showed in those statistics. So you know, I don't really look at those stats, but it is interesting. We're getting dominated on the ground and that affects the playaball speed, and affects your line speed, and affects how quickly the defense is up in your face. So yeah, a lot of knock on effects. It actually stands true to a point, Eddie. I know you said the school flat at the Senate did, but like you said early in the pod, with eight minutes to go, are any down by trying a goal or eight points? I think it was so on the school board. We were right in it, and if Adam had kicked a little bit straight early on, we might have any any been a try away from you know, hitting the lead if we had been a bit smarter, But.
Speaker 4: Not to be.
Speaker 5: Those playaball speeds. There is a massive difference between three point five seconds and four Like it doesn't sound like a lot, but throughout the game that is huge, and as I said earlier, it comes down to us not winning that first contact. If you don't win that first contact, you can't win the wrestle and you end up on your back. And once you're on your back, they were allowed to hold you down that little bit longer, and it just puts you out of the game.
Speaker 4: And that's what we saw today.
Speaker 1: Joel Schwedder Nick, I haven't seen it this season, but I'm going looking for it tomorrow. And I'm sorry, Jack Bird, but you're going straight through the shredder because you He just looks broken as a footballer. To me, I was worried when we signed him that he was broken. I thought he started the year. Well now his body's probably just completely beaten up. He's shuffling positions, which I suppose is his job, but like he doesn't know if he's Arthur or maf out there for me, he's trying to tip on balls, trying to start fight. Some weeks, like I just think reserve grade. Sorry, I don't know who you're placing.
Speaker 3: With, but that that tip on pass was terrible. That was on the second tackle as well, and we weren't that far. I think we're twenty are thirty meters out from Warriors Triline. Yeah, Jack Bird is an interesting one, isn't He was an interesting buy when we got him a preseason you know all the talk during the preseason he was training on his own, trying to get his fitness up, that he saw himself as a lock and he wanted to be that ball playing lock. But that hasn't really happened at all across the year. He's filled in that back row and he's not big enough or impactful enough to be a backrower. Early on in the year when he was coming in from off the bench, he did add a little bit of spark and he looked good at times. But for me now, I don't think he adds a great deal. So I'd almost be tempted to leave him out of the seventeen. But the problem is I don't think we're deep enough that we can leave him out.
Speaker 2: Let me just need maybe a big forward.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 3: I don't again, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes there, but I would up one hundred percent give Royce Hunting another shot. So I'm a bit worried actually with Royce.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know he was talking about retiring before he signed with West Tigers. I hope he's not going down that path mentally that he's just mentally checked out. But yeah, I don't know. I definitely bring Ros back. We definitely need and lack a little bit of size off the bench. We're definitely missing it the rotation.
Speaker 5: Bird isn't in my side next week, and I think the fact that Adam went to Locke today that probably puts another nail in another coffin of him in that thirteen role.
Speaker 4: We moved Adam out of.
Speaker 5: The centers and put Bird into the centers next week, I've got Taylor May coming into my side. He's playing in the centers for me, and because of that, Bird drops off the bench. So Bird he's an easy replacement next week because you're replacing him with Taylor May, who will be or should be. I think he's done enough to warrant selection next week.
Speaker 1: I'll get to a couple of minor positives. I thought from today a minute, But Gary, what did you make of Lato's game? Obviously tough one for him today with that forward pack and a lot of time to play with the ball.
Speaker 5: What you're going to get is you play young guys in key positions, you're going to get inconsistency. I thought he was fantastic last week and really struggled to get into the game today. And I thought when we did make that move of Adam Dewey into that lock role, Latin got a little bit lost in that, I thought, So I think I think there's going to be a little bit of an adjustment to kind of if I was going with my plan for next week of putting.
Speaker 4: Adam Dewey into that lock role and having him play that lock role.
Speaker 5: I think there needs to be a lot of time spent on just how that works amongst the halves and Dewey for before we get to that game next week.
Speaker 1: Well, Nick, my plan during the game involved about twenty seven changes, including coaching staff, trainers, everyone. But I've come down a little bit since then. So I think Charlie Stains is putting a bit of pressure on jiros Skelton like I was. For a guy who looks like Aidie Kilo's ring and wet. He was one of the few guys finding his front out of the backfield for me and Skelton, they're still having some real issues in defense. He's still running the ball fairly hard, although I wouldn't say as hard as he could run the ball, so I think that's a tricky one.
Speaker 3: It is the one thing that I took away from Skelton's game. What about that hit that he made on who was it that Warriors player.
Speaker 2: Two weeks ago? I can't remember who did it on, but he did the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, poor fallback when he didn't even have the ball today, but that was a massive hit.
Speaker 4: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I was getting to but no Skelton. Charlie stains. He hasn't put a foot wrong for a while now, and he's come out in the media not too long ago and said how much he loves the club and I think he really wants to stay. So I reckon Charlie would probably be content to try to play his way into the team every week, and if he doesn't, he's doing a really good job with the Magpies from what I've seen in highlights and on the score sheets as well. I love the way he plays. Isn't as big as not as impactful, but he does. He never stops trying, Charlie, and he runs a million was an hour, might not hit the line and drag a lot of defenders with him, but he plays with his heart in his sleeve. Charlie, so I hope he sticks around, But yeah, there probably is a justification for maybe thinking about sitting skelting out. I think he's got a little bit of work to do and he didn't play a lot of NRL before he came to West Tigers either.
Speaker 5: It's a really hard one because I thought Charlie was fantastic day. I thought he was one of our best players on the field today. But he benefits from Drell Skelton being in the site. So if Charlie's taking a hit up off a slower play the ball, then he's really ineffective coming out of our own end. If he can take that second hit up or the third hit up after a guy's already caused a little bit of damage and got a quick play the ball, then he's able to cover the ground really quickly and that allows him to get into a position where he can find his front and get a decent play the ball. But he's very reliant on what happens at the play the ball or the tackle before. And you'll have noticed to day that the Warriors spent most of the game kicking towards Skelton, because your tactic in that is you don't want him. You don't want Skelton taking the second hit up, so you kick it to him, so he has to take that first one and it's a little bit easier to contain him, but Charlie then benefits from that next tackle. They didn't kick the Charlie at all today. I don't remember him him returning the ball at all, so it's a really tough one. I wouldn't be making that change now. I would consider that change when Bullet comes back and Taruva moves back to the wing, because I think Taruva can get you that little bit of punch and then you can have Charlie play off the back of that. But at the moment, Charlie's benefiting from having Skelton in the team, So to replace him with Skelton, I think you'd take away some of his own effectiveness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gary, I had only a D and Charlie were my probably best three today. The other one I thought, and this is probably going to frown at me when I say this, I think say Fast being better since he's gone back to the bench and playing middle No.
Speaker 4: Without a doubt.
Speaker 5: I think I was saying all preseason that his best role is playing off the bench as a middle forward. I think he can provide a little bit of but that you're not relying on him for as long a periods of time, so you don't get as many of the silly little errors or the dumb penalties or the laying in the ruck for too long. So I think it's a much better position for him than asking him to play eighty minutes out on an edge. His lateral movement doesn't get caught out as much when playing in the middle, and he does a much better role at that despite being a guy who can never win the contact with or without the ball. I think that role is much better suited to his game.
Speaker 1: Like at over next week, something to look forward to, Nick, at least for the fans.
Speaker 3: Two o'clock Sunday, looking forward to I will be there. I've got to leave pass from the wife locked it in his afternoon, So ye're looking forward today. Hopefully the weather is really good. Hopefully we can get a bump of crowd. At least sixteen thousand want to see that hill filled on Sunday, so Titans won't be a pushover. I don't think any team in this competition is a pushover, especially against the West Tigers. But my god, I hope we can just come out and put in an eighty minute performance where the players you know, turn up and want to play for defense, because the fans are going to turn up. So you know, Benji, Happy Jerome, if you're listening, I'm sure you are. Just please give us a performance to make us proud next week.
Speaker 1: Usually pretty good at like Art Gary, but I do have some concerns about this game, like Art Favorites, is a lot different to coming in as like Art Underdog, which we usually do. And I think we've won six of our last eight there at Lei Art. But that Cold Coast team, you know, I know they're running last I watched them play tonight.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 1: They've got some speed and they've got some power. They've probably got less IQ than us. That's the only thing keeping them below us the ladder. But your initial thoughts in that game, and now it's stoped midweek preview.
Speaker 5: But yeah, at this point, I'm not very confident after what we saw today. Now me being me, that will change throughout the week and by the time we get around to the game, I'll probably be expecting us to win. But we don't handle speed or power. Well, there are two traits that really we struggle to come up against and that does worry me next week. The power that they have through the middle and the speed they have out wide, I think is something that can cause us some problems, but it could be a woeful game. We played a game against the Titans a couple of years ago that that was like two four to two or something with a couple of minutes to go and then they scored right at the end to win the game.
Speaker 4: It was a horrible, horrible game of football.
Speaker 5: I think we watched it together Eddie at West Ashfield and I have images of that game maybe repeating so next weekend, I.
Speaker 1: Think that was four to two or something like that and Gold Coast scored the last minute. But a bit of a treat for the fans. This week of the podcast, We've got Adele hey John. I'm going to record tomorrow night with him and Rob Bishara and I'm going to break down. I'm going to ask the coach to break down our attack, take a real deep dive on our attack this year and what he makes of players like Jerome Louie and Adam doing in LAT two final and how it's all fitting in and what's not working.
Speaker 2: So we're going to get three.
Speaker 1: Podcasts for the price of none, Nick we usually do do this week, we're doing three. We're going to do Adele on Monday night, which will probably be released Tuesday night, probably more likely Wednesday morning, and then we'll do a midweek pod, probably Thursday night. So I'm asking you and Gary to back up because the others they I think they've signed off for the year, like most of the team.
Speaker 3: I'm actually going on holidays with the family tomorrow day, so I won't be back until Friday evening. But you know what, if I'm needed, I might take my laptop on my headphone. So if you need me, just just send me a message and I'll jump on, mate.
Speaker 4: So are you going to do all three of them? Ad?
Speaker 1: He Well, Gary, this is what happens when you start losing games. People jump off ship. You know, I'm consistent. The only time I don't see me come on is when we win games. Maybe I will get accused of loving losing or something like that. But I was out celebrating that Ruster's victory last week. But unfortunately I think Joel he got a headache watching that today, so he was unavailable, but I am looking forward to that one talking to Adele and then we'll do the midweek one. So boys, I know it's been a bit of a tough carry tonight.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 1: You're looking there like death warmed up at the moment, looking at me like you have been all I know, and it's not a visual one, but you've got to crack the smile finally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm maybe suffering.
Speaker 5: A little bit from a big night last night and watching that game with a self inflicted headache today was quite difficult.
Speaker 2: How do you go there today? We Slashfield.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a pretty good turn out there today, A lot of people there watching the game. Gave away some prizes, so yeah, I had a pretty good day. Like I got to sit down.
Speaker 5: With Mike and rach and and and Steve don't forget Steve was there, and yeah, and watch the game with Holly bother Tiger supporters.
Speaker 4: It was just a shame it was such a poor game.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't heard from Steve or Deck Joel, so it would be hello for them and shout out thank you boys during the
Speaker 4: Week, Thanksie, thanks fellows joining the game