Speaker 1: All right, let's get it. It is drivetime. So Thursday afternoon, it's about ten minutes past the hour of two o'clock. A little warmer today than it was yesterday. Nonetheless, still a little chili. It's about fifty five degrees cloudy here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 2: Conditions will improve throughout the course.
Speaker 1: Of the week into a pretty decent Saturday and maybe a little chili Sunday.
Speaker 2: But look, Thursday, you're almost there.
Speaker 1: Weekend is almost upon us, and as it is every single day, it's gonna have you long for the ride. Spence check, it's being behind the mic. That's Port Larson behind the glass today with a bunch of topics to tackle. A bunch of topics to get to PGA Championship Round one. Quail Hollow Golf Club and Charlotte, North Carolina. Big Stories, Jordan's speeth chasing the Queer Grand Slam. Jordan is not one on the PGA Tour for quite some time, and can Rory McElroy win back to back majors. Something happened today at the PGA Championship that you may never see again.
Speaker 3: Real quick.
Speaker 1: Tony Fenaw is one hunder par our local golfer in the clubhouse with a seventy, which is a solid score and puts.
Speaker 2: Him in the top thirty. See what he can do tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But on sixteen, the three best golfers in the world all double bogie. Scottie Scheffler Xander Schaffle as well as the aforementioned Rory McElroy carted double bogies each on the sixteenth hole. So we have a major going on right now in the world of professional golf. As of today, it is one hundred days until week zero. You guys know, I love the countdown for college football. One hundred days away. College football will be here before you know what. We're gonna do some college football on the program today, and of course, the NBA Playoffs roll along a couple of duds last night, though, the Nick Scott Dog walks by the Celtics without Jason Tatum, and the Minnesota Timberwolves sent the Golden State Warriors home as well. He Wolves advance to the Western Conference Finals for the second straight year, and the New York Knicks will have an opportunity to eliminate the Boston Celtics tomorrow at six o'clock Mountain time at the world's most famous arena in Madison Square Garden in Mintown, Manhattan, New York, has been installed as a slight two point five point favorite. In that game tonight, Denver tries to stay alive. It's a new day and age in the world of pro basketball. We'll talk about that coming up in a bit. Denver up against it. They're at home at Ball Arena. Okay, see, we'll try to advance to the Western Conference Finals for the first time since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: It's only one game tonight. We're approaching the.
Speaker 1: Finish line when it comes to multiple games almost every single night in the world odd professional basketball, which is always sad.
Speaker 2: Jordan Speed, by.
Speaker 1: The way, is one over. It just showed his score. So we'll see if Jordan can make this interesting this weekend. So a lot to do on the prom the latest. With the offseason for the Utah Jazz, probably time to start looking concretely at what could be available for the Jazz at five, as opposed to just crying that they didn't move up.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to some of the prospects.
Speaker 1: That we might need to become familiar with prior to June twenty fifth, when the NBA draft is held, of course, just a couple of days after that, the NHL Draft will go down to the Utah Hockey Club, in their first year of existence, received luck that the Jazz have not received in fifty years of existence. Utah Hockey Club will draft fourth overall, so we'll get to some offseason hockey as well. Stanley Cup playoffs going around. It was a great game last night, but Edmonton eliminated the Vegas Golden Knights in overtime. One zero your final score there, but at least there was a goal because RSL cannot seem to find the back of the net. It was watching paint dry last night as Portland was in town. Yes, it draws better than a loss, but neither team really threatened quite frankly. I mean, Rapacabral had a couple of saves at the end, but RSL with a scoreless draw. And now they hit the road. It's time for the Rocky Mountain Cup. I know you guys are pumped. RSL Colorado Saturday at seven point thirty on MLS Season passed on Apple Television.
Speaker 2: So a lot to do on the program today.
Speaker 1: Schedule release day in pro football has a lot of football fans extremely excited. Probably won't do anything on that today, but hey, now you know who your favorite NFL team is going to play right out of the gates or out the course of the season. Our first guest today will be Tony Jones. Tony wrote a really good piece on what the Jazz have in front of them now that we know that it's the number five pick overall. He's also covering the Denver Nuggets. So we will do some playoffs with Tony. We'll do some jazz and some draft with Tony right out of the gates today. Alema Harrington, my guy a train who at this point has been doing jazz pre affro post on TV for a number of year. Alema has done a little bit of everything in media. He was even on sports talk radio radio for a while. Of course, play college football at BYU, So do some college football.
Speaker 2: We'll do some.
Speaker 1: We'll do some jazz with a Lemma, and then we'll get alemas take on Brian Santiago, who was introduced as the athletic director at BYU yesterday during that press conference.
Speaker 2: So Alema will stop by then.
Speaker 1: It's been a minute since we've been able to catch up with our buddy Zach Harper from the Athletic He'll stop by for some NBA Daily Assist stuff. We'll do some sports core with our friends from Handy and Handy, and we'll go from there on a jam pack busy Thursday edition of the radio program. Tony Jones, Alema Harrington, Zach Harper, our friends from Handy and Handy, Me Spence Check. It's all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson. What up on a Thursday afternoon, Boston eight and two without Tatum?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I was watching after the show, rushed home so I could watch as much of the game as I could, and I made sure to tag the pregame stuff so I could watch with a coach or coaches were saying prior to the start of the game. Joe Mizula said something that caught me completely off guard. He said, we feel horrible with what happened with JT meaning Jason Tatum, but we have a very interesting schematic opportunity. Now he didn't elaborate, but when you watch the way they played last night, like Jalen Brown's a bit of an ISO player, but Tatum is the only.
Speaker 2: Ball stopper on that team.
Speaker 1: They moved the ball really well, and obviously a lot of this has to do with what the Knicks did not do, but no part of me is confident this thing is over after watching what happened last night.
Speaker 4: Well and what Joe Mizzoula is alluding to, if not something very specific, right, maybe not like a specific play or scheme they're going to run. It's more so the fact that you just you don't. You have ten games of tape on the Celtics without Jason Tatum. You look back on all their runs, the way they play is with Jason Tatum. That's something you have to adjust to as a basketball team, and we're going to I'll see if Tom Thibodeau can do. So. I still spence like, I understand that logic and as a coach, you're always gonna look for those silver linings, and I do agree there are some schematic advantages to it, but at the end of the day, there is no net benefit, no net positive to losing your six foot nine best perimeter wing on your roster. So you know, at that point the Knicks just have to show up and at the end of the day not lose three straight and then they'll get out of there, and I think they're capable of doing so even if there is, you know, a little adjustment to no Tatum Celtics.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right, man. I feel like they have to win tomorrow.
Speaker 5: I do too.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 1: I will be I haven't no, I don't know. I have not nervous watched a game in maybe years. And if they go to Boston for Game seven, I will be a wreck.
Speaker 4: I am not built for Game seven like I will be. I will be beside myself. I'll be in stitches. But I kind of think j Jalen Rudson mckel Bridges, those guys kind of seem like they're built for it.
Speaker 5: So hey, I don't know, let's do it. I hope you're right.
Speaker 1: I'm just watching these series through the eyes of man.
Speaker 2: I just hope Jazz fans have this opportunity soon.
Speaker 1: It's so fun watching the team you love play playoff basketball. I don't know when it's going to be back, hopefully soon. All right, maybe Tony Jones can shut some light on this. But before we get the TJ on a Thursday Curtis, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check its on Utah's number one Sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: You can still cash in on the basketball playoffs with Prize Picks. Don't miss your last chance to add your favorite players from the court to your Prize Picks lineup. Whether it's points, rebounds, or assists. Take your pick of more or less for your shot to went up to two thousand times your cash today on your playoff ove takes and the tickets to Basketball Championship Series starting with the playing round.
Speaker 2: Every lineup you make on Prize Picks will enter you.
Speaker 1: Into the Take two ticket sweepstakes, which could get you and a plus one a VIP trip to the ship.
Speaker 2: So here's what you do. You download the Prize Picks app today, use the.
Speaker 1: Promo code ESPN seven hundred. They're gonna hook you up with fifty bucks when you.
Speaker 2: Place your first five dollars bet.
Speaker 1: Don't even have to win that five dollars bet to get the fifty. It's on the house, So download the Prize Picks app today use the promo code ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: They're gonna hook you.
Speaker 1: Up with fifty dollars when you make that first five dollars bet oh Jordan Speeth just lifted out a like a two and a half foot putt oh Man. Anyway, Prize Picks, run your game all season long. Tonight, I'm going more on da Kola Jokics twenty eight point five points. I'm gonna go more on Peyton Watson point five threes. All he has to do is hit one. I'm going heavy Denver tonight. Jamal Murray's line is nineteen point five. That feels like gave you even money.
Speaker 2: I'm going more on that.
Speaker 1: I'm also going more on Aaron Gordon point five to three point shots made.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Check it out. If you want to.
Speaker 1: Follow along and play long and then yell at me when I'm wrong, go ahead, because a lot of you do that online.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: A couple of games last night, we saw the Minnesota Timberwolves advance to the Western Conference Finals for the second straight year. Minnesota is one of those cities a little bit like Salt Lake, where it's kind of been long suffering waiting for a team to win a championship. And obviously they have Pro football and Pro baseball, but I think it was the ringer that sent out the stat Minnesota. The Timberwolves are now in the Final four for back to back seasons, and it's the first Minnesota team to do that since like nineteen eighty two, and I think it was their hockey team that actually did it back in the day. So the city of Minnesota celebrating watching their team go to the Western Conference finals, and I just couldn't help but be struck watching Stephen Curry on the bench, you know, kind of watch the whole thing unfold. Like we were talking earlier about how the Celtics seemed to be built with depth and top end talent to overcome the loss of really any of their players, even Jason Tatum, who's awesome.
Speaker 2: I love Tatum, He's a great player.
Speaker 1: Boston looks connected still, Golden State looks lost without Stephen Curry. And I don't know what the deal was this series with Jimmy Butler, who just never was fully engaged and never fully got involved. He's a former Timberwolf. He got booed every time he touched the ball. I don't know if that dissuaded him from being a dominant offensive player and they needed him to be. Without Stephan Curry, their only chance was Jimmy Butler to look like Jimmy Butler did two years ago when he almost single handily took the Miami Heat to the NBA Finals. But he was you know, last night was about Brandon Pajemski and Jonathan Kaminga.
Speaker 2: They were the only two Warriors. They were even kind of aggressive.
Speaker 1: Moses Moody gave them some good, good minutes, you know, in the fourth quarter off the bench, but the game was essentially over by then. Draymond was okay. Defensively, he was who he usually is. But this is to me, this loss really is something you look at with Jimmy Butler and like, dude, where were you of eleven?
Speaker 2: Was not aggressive at all?
Speaker 1: And Minnesota, as we've talked about, has a ton of big, physical wings that are two way guys that.
Speaker 2: Can cause a lot of issues.
Speaker 1: But my bigger takeaway is are we done watching Stephen Curry play basketball in the spring late into the spring. Will we ever see another long Steph Curry run in NBA playoff basketball. You know, it's kind of interesting when you consider who's at home now and even if you look at what could happen tonight, I'm not riding off the Nuggets yet. I would not do that with a generational player like Nicola Jokic, but it would be difficult for Denver to win the next two games to send okayc home. So if Denver is not able to make a pretty remarkable comeback, Jokic will be out, Stephan Curry will be out, Kawhi Leonard is out, Lebron James is out. Like this is the changing of the guard officially in the world of professional basketball.
Speaker 2: Kevin Durant didn't even make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I mean, all of the old guard that we become accustomed to watching dominate the NBA this time of year, they're all done, most of them at least, and we could see a couple of them go home as well.
Speaker 2: So now it's the arrival of one Anthony Edwards.
Speaker 1: And it's not like ant is new on the scene, but it does feel like Minnesota has something that maybe nobody was given them a lot of credit for. I will give I think it was McMahon. It may have been mcminiman, one of our NBA guys. A couple of weeks left in the regular season, the conversation of the NBA is do we even need the playoffs or is it.
Speaker 2: Just going to be Oklahoma City and Boston in the finals.
Speaker 1: And it may have been Dave who said, watch watch out for Minnesota as they get fully healthy and has they become accustomed to playing with each other. That's a team that has a lot of what you need. They're really well coached, as I referenced, in the modern day and age of NBA basketball, and this is something the Jazz have to find.
Speaker 2: They don't have it right now.
Speaker 1: And if we're honest, they didn't really have it with Donovan and Rudy and that team because Mike Conley is six to one Donovan sixty three. When you look at Minnesota, it just our starting lineup they do. And by the way, let's give Mike Conley some love today, former Jazz man who was awesome last night. Sixteen points, eight assists, six rebounds, knocked down four of six threes, hit like a thirty footer. When Mike looks like that for them, it makes them different, okay, But outside of Mike who's six to one, Aunt is six to six, Julius Randall is six', Nine jade McDaniels is six 's, eight and obviously Go bear is seven to. Two like they have a huge team that makes it really problematic for a team like The.
Speaker 2: Warriors who's best big.
Speaker 1: Is Kevon looney who half the time looks like he's lost and he's never played basketball. Before and off the, Bench Nas reed is six,' Ten Nikhil alexander walker, Six' five dante divincenzo's, only sixty three but. He plays big he's a. Good rebounding guard love the competitive spare. With that kid and we Need To give julius randall a little bit of credit because As as, a Nick Fan watching julius randall be a black hole over and over and over and Essentially Be the Achilles heel for nick teams in the past when. They traded him i'm not a. Huge cat guy We'll get. To Cat Later but julius randall and, his efficiency numbers they've nearly Been tripled for minnesota then what it Was. With, the knicks now The caveat is minnesota has ant and for, The Most part julius randall was relied upon to be the main offensive cod for JUST an. Average nick team so he has better teammates than he did for the Most Part.
Speaker 2: In new york but he has caught me.
Speaker 1: Completely Off guard now ant is, their best player But At times julius randall has looked like. Their, best player, so you Know if You're Minnesota and tim conley, their general manager a lot of people were surprised they Moved. On from cat now they had some financial implications they had to, keep in mind and a lot of people were surprised they Could only Parlay Cat into Julius Randall. And dante DiVincenzo he took a lot of heat, for the trade but it looks like, it's worked out at, least So far because dante last night, was really good although he struggled a little bit throughout. The Postseason, run but, randall my goodness has been a. Total total beast now on, the other side it could be one of the trades that works out.
Speaker 2: For both teams so last night was Not a.
Speaker 1: Great cat game he, had nineteen points he, had eight rebounds but he did not look like he, was you, know.
Speaker 2: You know as engaged as. He has been he's had.
Speaker 1: A good playoffs he's actually played better in THE playoffs than i was expecting. Him to play one of the things that bade me a little bit nervous about That trade is cat is a Little, bit like donovan where when the moment is the biggest they don't seem. To meet it but when it comes to the flow of just a game where there's not a, lot at stake when you're just kind of playing, in, the first, second third quarters they put. Up Big numbers but kat's been pretty Good. For the knicks he wasn't. Great Last night my man ogn andob he could not. Hit a shot one of twelve mckel bridge is. Four or fourteen boston and. THEIR defensive effort i don't know Who The hell luke cornett. THINKS he, is i mean He Looked. Like Bill russell my man had. Seven block Shots I'll give joe missoula a ton of credit For realizing. THE kristaps porzingis i don't know what's Going on with there's been this illness thing that kept him out of Eight.
Speaker 2: Games in march he does, not look right could not.
Speaker 1: Make a shot he had a Single point and, missoula, was like fine if you're not going, to be engaged. You're not playing in, Twenty Six minutes luke cornett went five to Five. From the florid he, had ten, points nine rebounds and. Seven, block shots like who? Is this dude he changed the scope Of everything for. Boston last night and ultimately this comes down to the System Of, The BOSTON celtics, and i said to, start the, series you know to, start the series there's gonna be One game where boston goes like twenty of forty from three And beats the. Knicks by thirty well that game. Was last night there were twenty two of forty. Nine from three They beat the knicks. By twenty five they are plus ninety in the series from the. Three point line but really it was their intense defensive effort that caught me. Mostly off guard even though they have some, good defensive players they just looked More Engaged, without JASON tatum which i think caught a lot of. People off Guard so the knicks go Back to the garden tomorrow night to see if They can send celtics home and Go To The eastern conference finals for the first time since the year two thousand that year They Played, the indiana pacers and It Is the indiana pacers awaiting the winner of this Series For The.
Speaker 2: Eastern conference. Finals all right.
Speaker 1: Coming up on, the Other side the jazz will. Draft at five they also have twenty one and they have some decisions to.
Speaker 2: Make this offseason we'll do some Jazz Basketball.
Speaker 1: With tony jones we'll also preview Tonight's game BETWEEN denver and Okc on a thursday afternoon Where They've got tony Jones FROM. The athletic tj where, are?
Speaker 2: You at man?
Speaker 7: How you?
Speaker 2: Doing?
Speaker 3: What's up man?
Speaker 7: How you doing where are?
Speaker 2: You right Now?
Speaker 7: I'm, In denver okay. I'm the NUGGET that's.
Speaker 1: What i THOUGHT that's. What i thought and. We'll get there. We'll Get there but i've got, to ask you how confident are you right now in the Ability Of The new york knicks to get one of.
Speaker 2: The next two.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty, Nervous? About tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Okay, ALL right YEAH i, mean, i, said oh yeah?
Speaker 7: Are, You nervous no.
Speaker 1: I'M Always, Nervous i look i'd Be nervous if Boston was Without Tatum. AND jalen, BROWN i MEAN i have i have lived my life. With, this Team uh and i've seen it way too MANY times where i get super excited and they completely.
Speaker 2: Let Me Down so i'm i'm forever a NERVOUS.
Speaker 7: Nick, fan tj, yeah, IT'S uh yeah i just we just need one forty eight minutes get out. Of the series we don't get. It done tomorrow sunday is gonna. Be, really hard.
Speaker 2: YES it will i can't even think.
Speaker 1: About that yet BUT here's what i wanted to ask you and kind of tap into. YOUR basketball knowledge i LAST night after i, signed off air RUSHED home so i could get get, to THE game and i made made it a point to tag the PREGAME stuff so i could listen to The coaches and missoula said something to completely smack me, across the face, and, he said look we're all gutted about What Happened, with jason tatum but it does give us. A schematic opportunity what do you, think, he meant.
Speaker 7: Well schematic opportunity To Get getting luke cornette. On the floor, and, you know uh he, provided rem protection but you know he's also provided uh. A LOB threat and i thought that that. Was really big and you know they did some you know they did. Some, matchup changes, uh you know they They Went with jaylen Brown On. On, jalen brunson uh they They Threw uh derek. Kwhite into help but the, biggest, schematic change Uh They put Drew Holliday On. Karl anthony towns, AND you know i know people, are, thinking like yeah. That's a mismatch. That's a mismatch but we All know that kat. Loves the perimeter so the thinking, with that, was you know he squeezes off the perimeter and you know he fights his tail off in the paint and You know, if kat goes you know, into the post then they just lived with. Some contested twoes so they did some, pretty dramatic matchups which, is last, night you know and You Know obviously derek white, got really hot had, thirty four points and, Then You, know jaylen, brown you, know got hot you know in. The second, half you, know but yeah we gotta get it. Done tomorrow night we just just have to, just you know grind for forty eight minutes and get. This, series, Finished yeah no.
Speaker 1: I'm with, you you know, it's just man when when you look At, the way Boston, even without tatum is able to space the floor that.
Speaker 2: Five out stuff it doesn't really change.
Speaker 1: All That much and tatum is really the only ball stopper they have. On the, ROSTER and Look, i love tatum that's, not a Criticism but without, Tatum, out there, tony to me it felt like the ball was just moving in a way that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it doesn't does, That, make, SENSE.
Speaker 7: No absolutely i mean it. Does make sense, and you know the, thing is, that You Know, without jason tatum you know YOU kind, of i mean You Obviously know jaln brown's going to take a, lot of shots but it because the offense becomes a lot. More equal opportunity and, you you know if you do something like that hits in the middle, of a series you don't necessarily have a, chance to, really you know scout for it and, prepare for it, especially you know by. The next game, and you know so the the what the nick have to take into, Tomorrow, is that okay. Now there's Film now the celtics have put what they're Gonna Do without jason. Tatum on film now you have to prepare. In that way, so you Know It's on tom thibodeau and his staff to come up with, the necessary adjustments uh to kind of counter some of the movement and some of The sets that boston hit Them with. On wednesday, night all.
Speaker 1: Right let's move over to the other game, from last night and then we'll get a preview of the. Game you're covering then we'll spend the remaining portion of the Conversation About the Utah jazz t wolves get it done, one twenty, one one ten and for the, Second straight year minnesota Is In The.
Speaker 2: WESTERN conference finals, i was waiting.
Speaker 1: And maybe it's Not realistic because minnesota has, so many. BIG physical wings i was Just Waiting for jimmy butler to kind of take over the way that we've seen him do, in the playoffs often in a couple, of years ago when He essentially carried miami to the finals, almost single handedly and that never. Came to, fruition of course it's Interesting to watch boston play So connected without tatum And To watch golden state is So, confused without steph which. Isn't a surprise but your Takeaways from watching Minnesota Dispatch of golden state, In, FIVE games.
Speaker 7: Oh i mean. You said It you know jimmy's not gonna. GET his, game i mean you know he's not going to get his Game off against. Minnesota like that you know that team has way too many guys and way too. MANY different, guys i, mean you Start Especially without stephen, curry out there which would Have taken. Away jade McDaniels but Now, with no, Curry you know jade McDaniels Switches on to jimmy as. A primary defender he's, six foot ten he's got a seven seven foot, three wings fan, and he's long, and he's wiry and he's a Dog just. Like jimmy, is you know there was no physical Advantage. There for jimmy, and then okay, so you know let's go and switch through. Out, the lineup okay, so you know you're Switching On, to anthony edwards who's, a dog defensively or you're Switching On, to julius randall, who's you know as physically strong as anybody. On the, floor, all right well let's try Our Hand. With rudy, gobert you know we All Know that rudy gobert is a lot better in space than people try to make. Make it sink, so you know the only real matchup, is you know kind Of Going after mike colley, a little Bit But if mike colley is not, on the Floor, That Means nikhail Alexander walker Or dante di vincenzo's, on the floor, and you know. You get it the. List goes on it's on and. On and on minnesota has so many guys, who can defend and so many guys, who are switchable, who, are long lengthy athletic and just. Really, tough guys, So you know jimmy just wasn't going to dominate that series against those. Kind of matchups maybe if he was Playing, against the, lakers you know it's, a different, Thing you know but as a number One Guy without stephen curry on the floor to to draw spacing, and draw gravity that just wasn't going to, be You Know a jimmy butler series to where you know we're looking and, he's you know throwing up thirty five and forty. Points to night that just.
Speaker 1: Wasn't gonna happen do you think we will ever See a deep spring Playoff Run involving?
Speaker 2: STEPH curry again.
Speaker 7: I. MEAN there's, potential i mean he hasn't, really slowed. Down you know so, what You Know, what mike dunlevy, the general manager has to do is figure out how to build, Around you Know. Steph and jimmy it's the same same thing, That You know robs Lincoln Down in los angeles. Has to, do you know you you you have the tape, of this, year you know not going to the off season to see what you have To do Around. Lebron and luca, so you know it's it's it's not with it's not out of the. Realm of possibility You Know that golden state, could you Know win the west OR win another Nba Championship because steph Curry Is. Still steph curry but they, definitely have, to you know go and get some spacing and build some some guys Around. HIM and jimmy i, think they, have you know the two most important, pieces in place and they just have to kind of try to build On.
Speaker 2: That interesting tony before we.
Speaker 1: Get to tonight, as Of, now No, giannis No, dame No, lebron No, steph No, durant NO kawhi, no PG, thirteen no Mbd And. NO anthony davis i could keep going and Then, We've got Aunt, we've got halliburton Hopefully We'll. Have jalen, bronson Of course the boston guys have BEEN. There before sga are we kind of finally seeing maybe officially the change.
Speaker 2: In pro basketball from the old guard TO the.
Speaker 7: New i don't think it's so much OF that as i think we're seeing the CHANGE from the cba to where the teams that are going to advance in the playoffs are the teams that have a, bunch of guys not. Just three guys so You, look at, indiana you know they don't have a guy that, we'll, be like yeah that's. That's the guy they. Got ten, guys you know they have ten guys who you can throw on the floor credibly in. A playoff series that's the reason Why, they Beat cleveland because cleveland. Had Seven Guys if Oklahoma, city beats denver it's because they have nine guys that they could play. In this, Series right now denver has five guys that they can play. In this series, they're playing seven they're putting seven, on the floor but they only have five for a real. Actual playoff players Same. Thing with minnesota minnesota's got nine. To ten, guys you know the only team that's remaining that doesn't have nine or Ten Guys. Is new york so it's not a shift from you Know the old Guard because if steph, had you know as deep a team as In, the as, indiana you know they would have the same chance of going. To the finals Same. Thing with lebron so it's not a change for the old guard Because, the old, guard you know, by and large those guys are, still you know in the top ten. In the, League you know lebron's still a. Top ten player steph McCurry is still a. Top ten player it's THIS. With the cba you gotta, have depth now and you got to. Have quality depth and if you don't, have quality depth, then you know at this point, in all likelihood with so many possessions, in a game you're probably Gonna, go home.
Speaker 1: Earland all right moving, Over To tonight oklahoma city is. Getting five points the line opened up at four and a half and it's Moved. Towards ok see they're a five point Favorite tonight in denver and obviously, if they. Win they advance so your thoughts on what you've seen so far in the series and how do you think it?
Speaker 2: Plays out tonight well on.
Speaker 7: The Line Moving towards Oklahoma City because jamal murray is questionable, with the nailness so even, if he plays there's a chance that he's he's a. Little bit compromised, BUT you know i think that this series ENDS tonight because i think, That, you KNOW denver, like i said only has, five, playable guys really, and you know, the you know this series has gone every other day, through Its Duration and denver's denver played pretty much every other day through the duration of their first round Win Against The. Los angeles clippers, SO you know i Don't think the nuggets have much left. In the, TANK you know i think it's obviously if They had, won game five it would have been. A different thing but you know The Fact that oklahoma city is, so much deeper and they have so, many more bodies and they're so, much more fresh and they have so, much more energy especially down the stretch, IN fourth quarters i think this, series ends.
Speaker 1: Tonight all right moving Over to the jazz with the remaining time, we Have, left and tony SINCE you and I last, spoke monday nights lottery, came and went and obviously A lot of jazz, fans VERY disappointed. Which i understand the fact of, the matter is, as you know the most likely scenario based off the percentages was not one it was either, four or five and, they landed five which, was their floor. Which is unfortunate but WHAT sort of i would Sort of info intel do you have out there as far as what sort of players could be? Available At five and, i'll ask you what do you think best case scenario scenario Is for the jazz at five coming up.
Speaker 2: In, THE draft.
Speaker 7: Yeah i don't think, IT'S you know i don't think it's the tragedy if they. Landed their five there are five really good players, in the draft so you know they're gonna get. A good, player you know, it's you know if they didn't the Thing that the jazz that the tank wasn't for the, for the ceiling it was. For the floor, and you know they wanted to get the number one spot in. The lottery balls so the farthest say and fall with spots and with the farthest say, Fall being, Five they're fine they're gonna get a. Really good player they're either gonna get uh be They Ask. FROM drey Johnson I mean trey Johnson, or or acetalley either one of those guys are are really good players with really high ceilings with. With star, CEILINGS you know I think as bailly's floor is more volatile than than trades. And and DJs his his lowest outcome is is a lot more, volatile than that but it's probably also has the highest, outcome as well because he has. A superstar outcome, so you know obviously the disappointment is you Know that the jazz fell all the.
Speaker 3: Way.
Speaker 7: To five uh the further disappointment is that Obviously it was Dallas And in San antonio and. Philly moving up, but you know if if you take the emotion, out of, it you know it's it's a fine. Spot to land there are five very good players. In, This draft jazz we're gonna get one of them because they. Landed at five, so you know it's it's not it's not. A doomsday thing and you know they're they're gonna end up getting. A good. Player you know my guess is that It's Gonna be ACE bailey because I THINK. The v j ashcombe is gonna Go third to Philly if if philly, keeps the PICK and then, i, think That Uh that charlotte hornet is Gonna Pick between Trey Johnson, and conkin nepple, and you know and, that'll leave uh that Will leave Either trey or Ace.
Speaker 1: To the jets so what tell me your Opinion Of, of trey johnson who appears to be shooting up draft boards by a, lot of, uh you know a lot, of mock drafts a lot of scouts. To do this gavoni's latest ask trade to six at the at the Six. Of the wizards He has The Jazz taking jeremiah. Fears, at, five so uh give me Your take on trey because it seems like a lot of people think he might sneak into maybe even.
Speaker 3: The.
Speaker 2: TOP three.
Speaker 7: Yeah i think trey has a Chance To. Be devin booker, he's he's uh he's him in, aceh to me you are the best shot makers. In the draft he's, six for five.
Speaker 3: Six.
Speaker 7: Or six uh he can. Handle the ball, he can uh he can get the spots. Off the dribble he moves very very well. Without the ball but he's unique and the fact that he can play with the ball, in his hands so he. Can do both you can play them off the ball or you can play them. On the ball he's a good pick. And, role player uh, he YOU know he i think he's, a willing, passer YOU know and i think that he has a chance to be. An. Offensive engine uh, SO you know i think that if If, if, it's tray uh that that falls to the jazz and in the in the. Jazz pick trade, AND you know i think that that's a that's a really good from starting block uh to to to. Start off us but you know the Other Thing with trey I'LL say is i think that he would fit in better than Most with will hardy system because because of his ability to move. Off the ball, SO you know i think that he's a guy that, THAT you know i don't know if he's THE guy that i would. Take a three the question is who would you? Take A, Three, because Dj tray and ace are all in the same. Tier of player SO right now I would take. Dj at three and the reason WHY, is because dj of THE three guys, i just mentioned is the best defender and the and he measured in at six.' four without shoes i thought he was going to measure in at six two or six one and, a half without shoes so he measured in a lot bigger than. Expected AT the combine so i think the depth balls him. Into the third.
Speaker 1: Spot so is it safe to say whoever's Left, OVER out Of ace vj and, trey in your Opinion, LANDS to the jazz.
Speaker 7: I would say that that's the leader in. THE clubhouse right now i Don't mean obviously the jazz to fall in. Love with, somebody else you know maybe they Fall In. Love with derrek queen maybe they do Fall In, love with jeremiah fears maybe they Fall In, love with, kaka neippel you know all during. The PRE draft process, but i would say, AS of right now i would say, one of, those three you know the leader in the clubhouse at this point.
Speaker 1: Really the only local player of interest as far as being able to be drafted, at A Notable spot As Yegor Demon from brigham young cavaldi Has him going. To chicago at twelve what do You think Happens. With, yegor draft knight.
Speaker 7: Yeah his stock is rising because he measured in it's like. Six', nine without shootes you know so if, you push us on him like he's six nine, AND a half six ten, i think that you know he was expected that he would come in and measure all six six six and a half, or six seven, without shoes so you know he's a, Jumbo point guard right now like he's a he's a legitimate six foot nine, and a half, point guard and you know he's the, best passer, in THE draft you KNOW so i think that i think that you. Know his ceiling right now don't be surprised if he's really in play At Number six for the washington wizards by the. Time all of this thing by the time all of, THIS is said and Done i don't think the jazz, will TAKE him at five but i do think that. The ceiling starts at six as far.
Speaker 1: As what the rest of the off season Could, look like for the jazz, they also have twenty one so we'll see what sort of value.
Speaker 2: Is there, at twenty.
Speaker 1: One You know IT'S interesting tim bontems from espn had a piece up yesterday and he quoted a number, of different front office executives one who was very specific about His enjoyment Seeing both the jazz and washington not get number one overall because he doesn't believe tanking should. Be rewarded in, Pro Basketball and of course adam silver's endeavored to flatten the odds in twenty nineteen was in part to try to dissuade Teams from doing What the jazz and. The wizards did this year, so look next year's draft and you and others have talked about next year's draft as, something that. Could Be very very exciting the jazz have a, pick that's top eight protected so it would behoove.
Speaker 2: Them to Be bad again do you they're gonna.
Speaker 1: Be a, Number of players good, players Tony, on The, move namely giannis Maybe durant who knows what boston does with that five. Hundred million Luxury tax bill now that tatum's, out for probably next Year do you anticipate the jazz trying to get involved in a notable piece or do you feel like next year is going to look?
Speaker 2: A lot like this year.
Speaker 7: Whether next year looks a lot like This year and that the jazz need to go out. And get a point guard they need to go out and get a real point guard who can actually come IN and, run A real nba offense because i think that they are short changing their development by, what that by you know what they're putting out of. Their point, GUARD right now You know i don't dislike, isaiah CALL you at all but i THINK he's a backup and i don't know that he's going to become, a starter in this league and they just need somebody who can come in and run, an offense because you know they Need To figure out. If, cody wims can play uh they Need To figure out what kante george actually. Looks like off the ball, they need, to figure out, you know whoever they. Draft what he looks like they need somebody who can Throw A, love past, the walker Kessler You know or get walker kesseler. The ball when he's open they need all of these guys. THAT they need to develop i think the development has been short changed by the fact that they've been so deficient. At that point, guard spot so you know whether they, go out and you know get a star or or, try to get a star or whether they want to tank next year. Or be, competitive next year to me just finding a veteran point GUARD who can run an nba, offense is. Their HIGHEST priority.
Speaker 1: All right so i guess ultimately that leaves us with the potential of them being in. The, Same spot next year right so give us give us a quick primer On some of the names jazz fans should be familiar with throughout the course of this upcoming. Up college season or whatever as far as maybe hope.
Speaker 2: For, next year's draft cycle well.
Speaker 7: Obviously You, have you, know aged debansas you, Know uh and you know jazz fans will won't have any issues watching him BECAUSE. He'll be at b yu they Won't Have any issues watching darren Peterson. Because. He'll be at kansas uh So he'll be. In the big twelve footprint those are The Two and And Obviously cam boozer, obviously cam, boozer at three you know so. He's gonna be a duke and you, know those are you know those are some of the names that's. That That Should, be watched but nata ment Who's. Going to be at, tennessee he's six, or ten, six four eleven a shooter. Can really handle the ball he's, kind of a you, know a skinny power forward but. A really. Really Skilled, Player, you know, kareem lopez uh you know he's HE'S an international, player who, I Really. LIKE you know christian KNACK i don't know if, i pronounced his name right but He's. Going to be a houston he's always also in The in the.
Speaker 3: In the.
Speaker 7: Big twelve footprint you know so it's, going to be a. Deep REALLY really talented draft and i, can tell you know the twenty six draft is one of THE best draft. CLASSES that i have seen i think it has a chance to be in that. Realm, of three ninety six uh those draft classes, that that have you know come along and you know eighty four that Have produced a. Bunch of, Hall, of famers all right.
Speaker 2: Tom thanks For.
Speaker 1: The time man, enjoyed denver, travel safe. Well chat, soon no.
Speaker 7: Problem Thank you my GUY toni.
Speaker 2: Jones Covers The nba for The. ATHLETIC GET.
Speaker 1: Him on twitter I t jones on the nba stops by today COURTESY Of Our. Friends at IFA country stores so if a has a team of pro turf and landscape sales consultants that up provide products and services to local baseball and soccer fields at. High, SCHOOLS around the state plus, ifa, works with golf courses parks And. Other city properties throughout utah it's the same knowledge and care that they share, with you ABOUT. Your yard, ONLY at ifa you know i WANTED to ask you because i can remember you were doing? What years were you DOING radio four is When. I came back from hawaii. I had a little hiatus i was.
Speaker 8: GONE from two to FOUR i came back and i, came Back With, No job and craig Bowler Jack was doing the big, show right at that time and then eventually you know you, took over, that that program RIGHT yeah and so four I was Doing the original red, and blue with paste.
Speaker 2: Manions, That's.
Speaker 3: WHAT it was.
Speaker 8: RIGHT yeah i came BACK i did that and I was fortunately. ENOUGH the garfs Hired ME i did some, blaze tv For you know, the the arena football team and then eventually was able to work back into the the Jazz. Franchise owned by the millers obviously at that point was doing radio and THEN, did a show on tv A nightly Show.
Speaker 2: ON k Jazz, called.
Speaker 8: Powerhouse I remember powerhouse and then powerhouse eventually it turned into THE desk opened up and. I GOT the, desk job so I know you know then I've been there now for i've. BEEN with the jazz, organization i, keep getting these you. Know every YEAR against something it's like i think. It's seventeen or Eighteen.
Speaker 2: Seventeen now with the, jazz.
Speaker 1: THAT'S a, great run man i mean all, of us in this ecosystem you just want. TO hold onto the job i have as much of a RUN as you can because i can remember, when YOU were doing radio and I got into it because i started in two. Thousand, AND three part time yeah i wasn't full time in like until, like two thousand and. Seven TWO thousand and eight and i can remember the station you were at did a special promotion.
Speaker 2: With, an ice cream company yeah and you.
Speaker 7: All.
Speaker 1: Had your own FLAVORS yeah and the reason i remember yours.
Speaker 2: Is it was the best And they. Called, it a lemma's dilemma yeah remember that in those? Ice cream?
Speaker 8: Vendals, did it that's right yeah it's a spot like. It right up the, street, and they asked us like what would you? Like IN your, ice, cream and i said well my favorite dessert is cake with. Ice, cream and hot fudge yeah so we could make.
Speaker 2: That into an.
Speaker 1: ICE cream it was Excellent i. REMEMBER loving a lemma's dilemma i remember that. When you're, on, the, RADIO but NONETHELESS yeah yeah. I mean i would agree the job. You have now is excellent you get to set at. The table In jazz games you and mike have been, working together for a while and it's always good when you can have tenure with a partner because your chemistry? Now?
Speaker 2: Is Is that FAIRNESS somebody and mike.
Speaker 8: And i, Knew each other interestingly enough mike was one year IN, front of, me at byu Right Obviously he was AN all american, freshman at byu playing basketball. Then went ON a mission so when i come in FOR, my recruiting trip at, byu, were sitting courtside like oh, you know the recruiting trip you know, journey That Everybody goes on, and mike SMITH is Playing And so i know, mike smith from that experience and then don't really get to, know him until you know he comes back and then ends Up Getting.
Speaker 2: Drafted by the boston celtics.
Speaker 8: And then he came BACK and was doing some, byu t AND interestingly enough you. KNOW i Got My start, i, followed Craig bowlerjack around sure and craig WAS was doing some CALLING byu games AT, local tv And Then byu and so mike, smith also Got To. START as, did holly row i mean you take, a look at our marketplace and so many of us that you KNOW started off Together around Byu and some university of utah had ended, up working in the business which.
Speaker 2: Has, been A great thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah and i Think all of us followed bowler around a little bit because. AS you as YOUR reference i CAN remember i was At, i was AT k fan and initially i left Here, To GO to k fan so i was Here, doing The show with yeah k fan hired Me to do afternoons with girard And then uh then. The Jazz bought the zone k fan dissolved and they hired me to Do the Big show at gordon after craig was just going. To, do jazz full time way We've all kind of followed. CRAIG right a little Bit i.
Speaker 8: JOKE, AROUND and, craig AND i i Mean obviously I worked With craig, at ksl At channel five and then Craig was actually WORKING at channel five when I, was still playing at buyu so he covered Me. A LITTLE bit at buyu then i TRIED to, break into the, tv Business And, you know approached doug miller who WAS the sports director. At ksl, at the time it's like you. Got TO get some experience So i go back, to HAWAII get some experience and I come back and eventually i Get the weekend Job At Channel five with craig bowler jack as, the lead sports anchor there and at a certain point he ends UP Leading, to go to, cbs network and, you know then you know comes back around as a.
Speaker 2: Play By play GUY for the jazz and i.
Speaker 8: Just keep on following around and then even, in Two thousand and four when i'm looking for an Opportunity to Come back to utah From, HAWAIIAN come back to Utah. I reach, OUT to craig in. Fact i ran into me It, was on vacation in hawaii. AND he hits me up I Meet With him at Chiefs Take factory, At the, family i'm, like i'm looking you know My.
Speaker 2: Kids are up in utah.
Speaker 8: I'D like to come back, i don't have a job and so let me talk to some people, and we'll, see if we you know maybe we'll. Get YOU started in radio so i come back and follow, him in a you know. Just for a radio spot so not just been blessed, with, not just you know opportunities but.
Speaker 2: The relationships have Been fantastic.
Speaker 1: It's FUNNY that bowler was calling byu, games when you, were, there because you know, Recently Our high school coach mike Maxwell Was Inducted in The, utah sports hall of fame and we Put together a video for mike about our team that won the state, championship In nineteen ninety. Seven, and i'd forgotten this, Yeah But after the game david james interviewed me. AS a, High, School senior dj, right yeah like you know, we're intertwined in.
Speaker 8: A while which is, interesting it's a, beautiful thing which, you know to your point the ONE of the things that i LOVE about the WORK that, I do, now i say i'm blessed and the jazz is. A big part of it but during the high school Sports doing a game On thursday AND, on a, FRIDAY on tv, you know i you know look at the THAT are, in here, AND i think you know i covered that kid when, He was at you, know highland or you know. Whatever the case may be it's a beautiful thing to watch these guys. Throughout their high school careers and obviously not all of Them Are advancing to play division one, or play in the state, but for, those, that do, It's like man You know I'm looking at raider de mooney on the depth chart now and moving up to number one IN the safety, position, AT byu was like man i remember one of the big plays that He. Had we were At brighton timp you, PLAYING brighton, in the playoffs i mean there's all kinds of memories for me that are associated with the kids that, are in The you know.
Speaker 2: You, know division one RANKS now do you? Like tv better than radio? DO you have a preference i like.
Speaker 8: Them both for different reasons you can appreciate this because YOU do both that a, tv, segment, Is, so brief right right yeah and so you've got to be able to be concise, in whatever you're talking, about because, the segment is you know maybe three. To five minutes or so you have time to, just kind of you know talk things through and.
Speaker 2: Chop IT up with somebody and.
Speaker 8: I love that, that that part of it which is probably why podcasts have become such a, beautiful part, of, the media you know, stratosphere Because You can really like joe, rogan, Can talk you know somebody you're Gonna Watch two hours of joe rogan because you want to, hear that, long form approach.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: Know to a topic yeah and IT'S it's the thing that. I love most about radio i think.
Speaker 2: It's, the.
Speaker 1: Most intimate FORM yeah right and what I had to do when i FIRST, starting STARTED to do tv because i. Cut, My teeth in RADIO yeah and so what i had to do is TRY to uh summarize what i do for four hours every day and and and cut it down. To three OR five minutes like when I, First started, doing with dave he's like we, only have. Like eight minutes you know so it's it's been an interesting challenge BECAUSE one of the things i love about radio is that we can sit, here and discuss a topic can hash it out as opposed to having one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and forty characters OR just one take like. I.
Speaker 1: Hate the hot take yeah kind of dynamic.
Speaker 2: Of, OUR business because and look.
Speaker 1: I still run into this i'll, get, FEEDBACK from people like hey i heard. You say, this, on air i'm like. Okay you heard five seconds did? You listen to the segment because we discussed, IT and flushed it out i can say one thing that maybe won't be super flattering right out of, the gates in a segment. But give me a, minute we'll land. The plane we'll get there we'll do SOME college football and some. Byu in our second segment but, While, we're in the space elema.
Speaker 3: Let's.
Speaker 1: Do, a little, jazz yeah so of course it's, been a week of disappointment and there's no other. Way to put that now xanik said this after the like the most likely outcome based off the. Numbers was four. Or five it wasn't one it would have been, great IF it Was one. Because i think cooper's awesome what was Your Reaction when you saw mark tatum hold Up The card?
Speaker 8: That the Jazz war five so so i'll give you, a draw picture for. You Painted picture for you how i'm listening To the draft lottery right i'm mowing my lawn with my phone in my pocket and My, ear buds, in and i'm you know listening for. What's going TO, happen here, and when, i, you know, HEARD one two and. Three I was like, DISAPPOINTED WHEN i heard. Five, I i, audibly grown yeah i think and it probably could. Be HEARD throughout the Valley But i think that tony jones summed it up very, astutely when, he just said you know, the being the worst team your hope is, that, you want the floor right but that means that. You can't drop below five and if there was, a time to be five it's in a draft like this where you are have a talent laden, draft and your lottery pick if you're, picking in the top five is going. To be a good player it's going to be a. Player THAT'S going to contribute and i look At really what the the jazz have done in the last couple of years as far, as draft picks are concerned going Back To obviously getting a cante george and then you know this last year, to pick Up you know to get. Philipowski in the second round is that it is crazy right at this point when you're redrafting that he's obviously going. To BE a lottery pick But i think that the jazz at five and twenty one are going to be able to, get players that you.
Speaker 2: Know you can build on and that's what.
Speaker 8: YOU got to look at i Think, at this point is okay what is the what? Does the construction look like right Because that's. Basically where the, jazz are we're not rebuilding but the construction, is going on, right.
Speaker 1: Now right right right and ultimately it brings up a conversation about what it will look like. The next year, or two And you know it's funny alema watching the playoffs and You hear these stats Like Minnesota is in the western conference finals and it's the second straight year. That they're in the finals this is the first Time that the city of minnesota has had one of their teams in the final four two straight. Years Since Nineteen eighty two the detroit pistons haven't won a home playoff game. Since, TWO thousand and eight charlotte i think. It's BEEN twenty one years. Acromatal i could keep going we just simply Have. Been spoiled by the jazz when it comes to, the end of an era the bridge. Has Not been Very long it's, john and carl Then, boom they Draft, d will They, Get, booze they get. Memo boom we're off running there's a. Little bit Of a dip then, it's hayward, and its favors. And Boom, we've got Something, gordon leaves They, Draft, donovan they develop. Rudy boom we've got something so we're now three years into a little. Bit of a purgatory period but that's not uncommon ACROSS. The landscape of the nba and the fact of the matter is you have to have a little pain tolerance to wait Until this thing, Gets Tickn so twenty nineteen adam.
Speaker 2: Silver flattens the lottery.
Speaker 1: Odds we have six lotteries none of the teams that were among the worst in the. League, have received number one yeah so it it brings to mind what. Next year could look like is it's still going to be a. Slow process with young. Players my guess is yes do they look at the landscape of the league and try to bring in some, big pieces expedited it maybe. But that's easier set done what do you think next next YEAR is gonna.
Speaker 2: Look for i would agree.
Speaker 8: WITH you one hundred percent i think that that next year is not it's not going to be the same.
Speaker 2: AS it was this year i think.
Speaker 8: That, there were some objectives certainly the development of players was one of the things, that they were looking at and so we saw a lot, of opportunities for younger players which in the long run will benefit this team because those guys got, so much experience last year they're gonna be much better players in their sophomore season or their third year in the league because of. WHAT happened this past season i don't think this. UPCOMING season looks like. THAT i agree with you i think you want to try to bring somebody in That is going to be i'm not not, necessarily a true needle mover but somebody THAT can contribute and and I think that that the jazz have tried to accomplish that to, some degree this last season and then some, injuries that you deal with and and so maybe it doesn't pan out exactly the way the. Way that you want to and it, is harder, than It, seems you know says oh just, like go, Get this, Guy, you know and hey yan Do you hear people talk jannis Is.
Speaker 2: Talking about, leaving, the milwaukee it's. Like well go get him it's like it's like it's.
Speaker 8: A little tougher, than That but for me and i've always been of this opinion because. It's important Who you hire and the jazz have done a great job making sure that they got a front office. That KNOWS what they're doing and I always make even when i was doing the show Back In the day with ben krittle and We Were Talking, about a bronco menden hall he makes a decision and people ARE up, in arms and byu fans you. Know How they can, BE and i'm just like i always make the assumption that the head coach, has, more, Information than ME certainly right and so i, LOOK at, our front office i say these guys know what they're doing and they have had success in the past and will continue to, have success in the future and you, put your faith in that and. Then YOU enjoyed the ride, and i, gotta Tell you last year if, I'M doing my math correctly i think we did sixty five. Post, games, after a loss okay yeah, sixty, Five them a lot right that's a lot of half hour minimum. Postgame shows after A loss and even then i was able to find some.
Speaker 2: Kind of joy in that and that, makes him kind.
Speaker 8: Of bizarre but, it was it was fun even challenging and entertaining at, Times, to try to find okay what are we going to talk?
Speaker 2: About?
Speaker 8: Tonight after This loss right and the jats were fortunately though there weren't a ton of blowout, losses where, we just got you. Know wiped off the floor there was always something GOING on and that's what i.
Speaker 2: Can appreciate about the franchise and you reference head coaches who seem.
Speaker 1: To, Know what they're, doing yeah and you Know it was INTERESTING when quinn left and i Had a GOOD thing with quinn and i still talk to him and he, was REALLY good to me so i was. Bummed that he was leaving, danny does his due diligence And, WHEN he landed on Will i had ONLY heard will's name because I KNEW had COACHED with team usa And i knew he was Udoka's. Number one assistant in boston BUT the first phone Call I Made, was to jeff Van GUNDY who Coached, on team usa WITH will And even before i. Had, jeff on the Show, unfortunately well fortunately for jeff he's. Now back in, the league unfortunately for us he. Can't Come on the show and. Jeff said he's a star he, said he's an. Absolute star and he's young this is. The right thing to do so they pick up year four in year, five of his contract option so he was not a, dead man walking next year nor was he a dead man. Walking the Year after That but What ryan and danny and Justin, decided to do with will It's almost UNPRECEDENTED, in the in the nba the third longest tenured coach In Basketball. Right Now is billy donovan if, will coaches through his contract he would already be the third longest.
Speaker 2: Tenured coach in pro basketball he has. A nine year runway now they signed.
Speaker 1: Him through twenty thirty one what have been your impressions as you've got to know, him as you watch him and what are your?
Speaker 2: THOUGHTS on this contract extent.
Speaker 8: I Will say this about what i've said this, plenty of times on air that he is the, right man for the job and. The job is multi faceted, to your, point is like you know guys, don't last through a rebuild and if you, do last through the rebuild you're not the coach. After, The team is built right but they made the Decision, to go with will hardy an unknown commodity to a, degree as a head coach and they knew that this was the guy that was going to be. Able to coach this team, AND as we're talking about i pulled OUT my key chain because i have my key Card. On here for the jazz and these are some Of The bullet points For Ryan smith. And the utah jazz Organization the number one and i'll. Give, you all of, them, transparency, all, in. Community obsessed one team scrappy those are the descriptions Of What we want The utah jazz now. The mammoth franchises to be transparency was something that we had Lost to a Degree with quinn and and I'm. A big fan of quinn i. Wish him ALL the success but and covid had, something to do with that where. Where WE all lost access and i was part Of a Media that covered carl And john and you know horny in that era where we had all kinds of access, just as local media members, not just the beat. Writers but local media members and it's, slowly kind of you. Know slipped AWAY from US and again i think covid had a. Lot to do with it, and all of a sudden we don't have access to anything right to Now Our access to to will hardy as employees and and even then we Were Still employees. In the quinn snyder era but his willingness to share. Information with us is unpressent i've. Never seen, Anything, like it it's been uh it's been.
Speaker 2: A breath OF fresh air and and.
Speaker 8: I love working with him and if you if you want, to just, chat with him, he's willing as you know to just sit down. And talk for a minute so to have that kind of access has, been really it's been beneficial especially going through.
Speaker 2: The last, couple of, seasons for sure all right. We'll catch a quick break we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna do Some College football and also brian santiago is the New athletic director at the why we'll get. A lemas Take On That but the stern dirt racing. Event Is On Its Way it's may mania Derby May The Seventeenth at Golden. Spike event Center In Ogden go to. Sterring dirt racing dot com you can enter to Win tickets now by texting dirt to eight seven seven three. Five three Zero seven hundred that is dirt eight seven seven three. Five three zero seven, Hundred and Also Coming up It's The Daybreak home and garden show may the sixteenth through the Eighteenth At The. Ballpark at america First Square Go to the. Best home show dot com, spring is in the, air the birds are. Chirping the flowers are blooming is Your home and backyard sanctuary ready? To enjoy the coming season Go Check out The New daybreak home and Garden show Coming To The Ballpark at america first square. May sixteen through the eighteenth this new show will have something for. Every member of the family, free games for, the kids free. Day seminars and hourly prizes come toward the Exciting New tiny home from box Boxable And.
Speaker 2: Tour the new bee's BALLPARK Give You a p pga tour leaderboard.
Speaker 1: Coming up in just a little bit and send you to play a little golf, festival of a te style. So stay tuned for that We Also. Have tickets to Matt rife Not a. Big matt matt rife guy WHY you.
Speaker 2: Tell Me Why.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: LIKE matt rife you're young i just there's SOMETHING about that.
Speaker 4: Dude that i don't know it's. Kind of irritating me too, I'm, With YOU on that okay so i maybe NOT the guy. TO ask i don't like i typically like when there's like like off the, cuff crowd work in comedy but when you like try to MAKE it your, thing and i don't, know if.
Speaker 3: YOU do it.
Speaker 5: That's, great i don't.
Speaker 2: Know yeah that's. The issue he's not funny. He's a stand.
Speaker 1: Up comic, that's not funny But Anyway, if you like matt rife we'll Send You to go see. Matt ryfe In A bit but a lema harrington. GOOD buddy live in studio i.
Speaker 2: Bumped back by the way. That was a, great book there.
Speaker 3: You go?
Speaker 2: THERE you Go All right a train.
Speaker 1: Tom, holmo for twenty years yeah just did probably a job that most people don't. Understand, how good it was absolutely you know when, it came to traversing independence and you always, judge AD's on their hires and certainly with basketball and football.
Speaker 2: He went four for four.
Speaker 1: So big shoes left behind they will, BE filled by his deputy A D who started at brigham young twenty seven years Ago As an assistant with Steve Cleveland and then joined tom. Side About Two decades ago so brian santiago.
Speaker 2: Officially introduced is the new? Ad at your alma mater? By?
Speaker 8: What do you think i'm i'm this is as it seemed to. Me LIKE a no brainer and i knew some of the, other candidates that were involved and there were, some good candidates out there. There's No, question about that but santiago as you mentioned TWENTY seven years he's a byu Guy. Without being A b white never attended byu as a. Student, or a student athlete right was, a great player in BASKETBALL. But didn't play at byu and THEN he comes in AND i Knew Him When I Did steve Cleveland Cleveland's coaches show when, steve cleveland WAS the coach and So I got to know brian, santiago was heading you know operations at the time and was really to A Large degree he was, steve cleveland's right hand man and then that evolved into of course getting INTO the front office of. Byu in the athletics department and he has been involved in all of the, things that you're talking about, whether it's, traversing you know this Independence or, getting into the big twelve or the coaching. Hires that you're talking About he was there. WHEN colone, was being interviewed i mean he's been so integral a part of what has happened over the last twenty five twenty seven years that this is a, guy that seems, to me feels TO me And of COURSE i know brian and i have known, him for a long time like a. Natural fit like this is this is of course where You Would go after having tom homo do all of.
Speaker 2: The THINGS that He.
Speaker 8: ACCOMPLISHED and i knew tom i Came in and PLAYED, after Tom was at byu but TOM came back after his nfl career and actually COACHED a little bit at, byu and coached my brother Who Was, A safety at bringham young. SO it felt very natural i wasn't surprised at all when, the ANNOUNCEMENT was, officially, made and i thought okay when he had his press conference and he assured me and the general public that, Football is, still, number one i'm.
Speaker 2: Like okay that's our guy well and hopefully, football is still number one.
Speaker 1: And in theory, it is but you know what they've done to invest in. The basketball program is something it's something that certainly. Has worked and paid dividends, but before, we get there you know it's always, tough, to Follow The goat right. And Ty corbin knows it After jerry stepped aside, and ty got, THE job and you know i talked to somebody down There after the Higher because i've only met. BRIAN a couple of times i had A Chance to go playing steve young's charity Golf tournament last, year and brian was there so talk to him and seems. Like a very affable, guy he's most known. For at least my understanding you tell me, his relationships with depocketed donors and if, that's all.
Speaker 2: He's, good at that's enough. Yeah, because that's the deal.
Speaker 8: Now that is the job of your, athletics, director and their deputies right those guys are supposed to be able to convince donors or potential donors to make a, contribution to their alma mater to. The school that they represent and he, has done A Fantastic job as is, chad lewis Over The years and and rob bosco and the guys, that have, served in that you know, part of the athletics department they have done a great job and Making sure that, the, athletics, because everybody says, oh yeah that's all tithing. But it's not tithing money, this is all you know money that has been raised and then. Donated towards the athletics program same thing thing WITH the broadcast building at byu.
Speaker 2: Though that's not.
Speaker 8: Tithing money that's funding that those are guys actively out there, making sure that those. Things Those Projects get funded, and brian, santiago has been you know the tip of the spear when. It COMES, to those, projects so i you know he's. Certainly qualified IN that regard and when i look at at the, coaches that have, been hired, they've all been you know great coaches to when you say that it's tough to, replace, the guy a goat right a guy that and the guy that's. HAD that kind of tenure i used to have a saying that it's never the guy that replaces the guy that. Ends up being the guy it's the guy that replaces the guy that replaced.
Speaker 2: The guy that. Ends up, being the guy.
Speaker 8: It's hardy it really is it's a tough, thing to, be able to You know Replace The. Lovel edwards as, gary croton you come in, you go twelve and oho but then it all falls, Apart and then you Know, bronco comes in and okay now, things are back to Normal And, now YOU'VE got colonie sataki who i really believe is the right man to lead this. Team for, THE foreseeable future you know I Would say that that kyle whittingham becomes one of the. Rare instances now branded urban meyer only had a Couple of Years, at the university of utah so it's not as hard to replace that. Because he wasn't as established but it. Is rare that that happens but there. Are exceptions to that rule.
Speaker 2: Do you think.
Speaker 1: Do you think the football team is receiving the same amount of financial support the, Basketball team is.
Speaker 2: Because, look klaanie's My.
Speaker 1: GUY yeah and love claudie i did A coach a show at claudie when he was here as, the DEFENSIVE coordinator every week and i can remember, AFTER just, A, few months i thought okay he's going.
Speaker 2: To, be a HEAD, coach someday Maybe. A byu.
Speaker 1: Maybe a utah who knows and you know the tough thing about reporting on nil is there are a couple of outlets that claim. That they know the figures there are a few college football and COLLEGE basketball, Media members who i trust and so if, you just do the calculation the reports are debance is getting between five and seven zero. For Five months of basketball jeff goodman Reported That, the number for Rob, right the kid.
Speaker 2: From baylor Was three mil we.
Speaker 1: Know richie got seven figures if you, just do some loose math they're paying about thirteen to fifteen million dollars for their. Roster IN basketball next year and i Haven't On good authority. What KEVIN young is making AND i can remember when I Heard the rumor that kevin young MIGHT, coach COME to, coach byu.
Speaker 2: And i said.
Speaker 1: No way and here's Why he interviewed for, the celtics head coaching Job he interviewed, for the sunset coaching job And he interviewed for the Jazz head coaching job Before DANNY landet On, will so, i knew KEVIN not personally but the lds. GUY coach in the league i thought there was no way they, were going TO get him and then i heard what they were paying him. And, What, they promised him so alma we know that the. Basketball program is Funded handsomely is my guy? Klani, receiving the same support yeah you're probably Asking.
Speaker 8: The wrong guy. Because I'm a football guy so i'm. Going to, look at everything a's? Like what about our guys where do we?
Speaker 3: Get?
Speaker 8: In the rec right right and the reality is when you're, talking about basketball versus football, you're talking about you know an, eighty man, roster or forty you know plus. Whatever the case may be and then your coaching Staff is going to be probably you used to be a whole lot. Larger than a basketball staff now the basketball staff, is.
Speaker 2: Pretty Dog one big right but.
Speaker 8: I'VE talked to you enough i know enough guys in those nil circles that that assure ME that ARE involved with byu that byu is, still getting the the attention and maybe that attention doesn't result in the same dollar figures that you're seeing for a guy that's only going to.
Speaker 7: Be.
Speaker 8: There for five months now there's gonna be times when you're willing to pay That for a guy like ajabonsa because he is a. Franchise changing type of player? Have you, Seen him play a boy i've Seen the highlights and. Then i've seen him, play and by the way if, you're just watching the highlights like you got to go see. This guy play in person it's a whole, different thing, because the highlights you know, you, always wonder is. Like well who's the competition you go watch him play in the competitive, Or even a pickup situation you're gonna, be wowed by this guy maybe the most, skilled player. That we've seen you KNOW for for me and i watch a Lot of basketball now because i've got kids that WERE playing, club basketball, and i see you know the level. Of talent that, is around and We travel we're at eybl we're, at all the different tournaments and THIS is a guy that i, don't care who you. Are he's gonna wow you and so to be able to, get a, Kid, like that it's like okay what? Are we willing to spend, it's like, the question is you know can we afford not to.
Speaker 1: Pay him and. Let, Him go somewhere else, yeah and to your point he's the. One, That's worth the check yeah AJ's the. One that's worth the check. That's why you write it, MY only concern and look i know there's THIS thing where it's the byu, experience and it's DIFFERENT here, and he's A byu guy and MAYBE klannie is JUST that i. Can remember i did radio one of my favorite experiences is Doing Radio with Levell and ronnie Makins football fridays and hearing leavelle tell the story of he, never worked with a contract he never. Cared to renegotiate a contract he just was thrilled and he got paid to do what he was.
Speaker 2: Doing basically one, hundred thousand dollars, A, year.
Speaker 1: Which is right okay that's, crazed in nineteen, eighty two but you, Know in Twenty twenty five i'm sure kilani is. Probably not, Rolling that way my concern alemma is if they, don't take care, of him at some point he's going to GET a phone call from i don't know another, people, were school that says okay what do you make and we can literally triple that.
Speaker 2: If you want.
Speaker 1: To, come work for us Yeah because as much as bronco wanted to say this, is about, independence not working sure buddy it's, Also. You tripled your salary broncos so that's that's my only concern if You're.
Speaker 2: Not, taking care of Colonia.
Speaker 8: Now The difference between Bronco Menden hall and A klanie Sataki, is THAT bronco menden hall who i love and respect and admire the work that he's done in all, those schools he's BEEN at.
Speaker 2: Was, not a byu Guy Yep.
Speaker 8: He just wasn't kilanie sataki this Is, a destination job FOR kilani now you you i say that and at the same time hope that he does not get disrespected in the Process because oh he's gonna this has always been the concern ABOUT the way THAT b. Yu is RECRUITED. Lds kids oh they're. Lds they're gonna come here we don't need. To pay attention to them they're. Going to Be here anyway. DON'T treat kilani like That I, don't think that brian, santiago now That you know, LEADING up BYU's athletics department i don't. THINK that that will, happen I could be wrong but i don't see that.
Speaker 2: As PART of.
Speaker 8: The future and i agree and there's been a lot of progress over the last ten years as. Far as coaches getting Paid and it was partly bronco who made sure, that his Assistance Got paid and then klani satake being more concerned about his assistants getting paid because that's an important part of. What you're what you're building but. Take care of the guy. Take, care, of the guy yeah. YEAH and, HOPEFULLY they, ARE i mean i know.
Speaker 1: I know they did renegotiate i saw A couple of figures. Online byus a private institution. You CAN'T camera request it so i can't SIT here and tell you. I know what he's making i can sit Here and tell you What i've been told that kevin is Making is reportedly, more than klania is making which is.
Speaker 2: A wild thing to do in.
Speaker 1: The LANDSCAPE of college athletics the p four teams, that value basketball over.
Speaker 2: Football that's, a short list. You know it's a duke.
Speaker 1: They're not very many Schools and so to hear santiago say that football still our driving force had to land really WELL for a lot of byu fans that have this narrative that they're taking care of.
Speaker 2: Basketball and not FROM it this is what i read between the lions when you. Make, A statement like.
Speaker 8: That Okay so it's not like santiago is unaware that those numbers that you're speaking of are out there in the atmosphere and That people understand.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: The kolonie, knows this right to me, reading, between the lines is Hey We.
Speaker 8: Took care of. Kevin young we needed, to it was a timely you know. Moment in, the, basketball programs you know progression we. Will, take care, of you yeah you know time will come and we. WILL take care of you i think that that is an Unstated But understood thing with.
Speaker 2: Coloniae sataki at this point did You get to know coach witt at? ALL like we did overlap i didn't, know WHEN we were.
Speaker 8: Playing so i played with with the with. With Two of, His brothers in in fact fred, or the tight. Ends coach was my class so we were in the same recruiting class. On the same recruiting, trip SO we Played together, so, I know FRED better uh and then i took some some beatings from from his. Brother who Was a linebacker, there after kyle was Done but.
Speaker 2: Everybody knew who kyle was'.
Speaker 1: I've often said the Two biggest days in modern utah football history are The day they got the pack Twelve invite and the day KYLE said no To.
Speaker 2: B yu and yes tutah?
Speaker 1: What Was your reaction when because kyle was the guy that b why, YOU wanted and you know i grew Up In a Generation of lavelle edwards where utah got nothing, that b, why, you wanted including wins right so it signaled kind of a. CHANGE out of the guard i wonder what. Your, reaction was to.
Speaker 8: That well it's been interesting MY evolution and AS a byu fan where i literally do. NOT have a red tie i don't have a red piece of clothing and, will not until my Sons, who may go TO altiff they, go to outa HIGH School they. Playing the, ALTA bantam programs then yeah i wear. Some red because of THAT but at this point i have so many GUYS that are crossovers that i played with them Their. Son now Plays for utah I'm a utah fan like i'm. A fan of these Players I'm. A fan of, kyle whittingham, i don't Necessarily you Know Cheer for i'm like frank doulce to, Some degree in that regard i'm CHEERING for, the, guy that, i love, right my friend for. Teammate those kinds of, THINGS so WHEN that happened i really i was. Having a hard time, wrapping My question was like if kyle becomes because he'd Been, such a success at UTAH if he, Becomes, the byu head coach LIKE how like? How DO i process that because i had spent plenty of time Like most, by You Fancy oh yeah BUT kyle.
Speaker 2: Winningham is a byu guy.
Speaker 8: At some point that changes and yes he's an alumni of our program.
Speaker 2: And we're Proud of that but that's. Utah.
Speaker 8: Man through and through, yeah so when, he decided and you, know as, the story goes you know some some prayer and contemplation on The.
Speaker 2: Decision.
Speaker 8: Besides the, state utah uh you know One of my sayings is god has a. Plan that's BETTER, than yours for for byu. That was the better Plan We ended up with kilani sataki and that that's.
Speaker 2: A win for, us.
Speaker 1: SURE and, You know like I said, i'm, a HUGE kilani guy uh and i do think he's the right guy to. Lead the thing moving forward are you glad to see the rivalry.
Speaker 2: Back, in, the.
Speaker 8: SAME conference yes absolutely absolutely i mean, all of us you know dreaded the independence when you, were going to play them and and that still hasn't necessarily worked itself Out in the, in the big twelve. Yet but, it just it number one it's hard to be credible and say that by you didn't come a little become a, little, Brother at that POINT right. Utah's in the pac twelve we're playing an independent schedule with absolutely nobody in the back, Half of the season now so, you tried to sell it but it. Was a real hard sell so for us to be, back in the same conference and it was interesting to WATCH social medias as the pac twelve fell, APART and everybody's you, know byu fans are cheering and Then they get into the, big, twelve almost you know instantaneously and now. YOU'VE got to eat crow i think it's the, best thing that has happened maybe ever for this rivalry because it allows us to be back in the same recruiting war and we're competing on more. Of AN even playing field and i think it's it's Good for the state Of utah and sports in utah to have that rivalry back, where it needs to be which is in the same conference.
Speaker 2: With conference implications for sure let me. Ask you one more thing let's get TO the golf tournament.
Speaker 1: Before i set you loose, you worked for You, know Still With the jazz but Alex jensen was with the jazz for nine years while.
Speaker 2: You were, THERE AS well and.
Speaker 1: Look i, i Love football always have but i'm a basketball guy at.
Speaker 2: The End of the day in utah.
Speaker 1: Basketball means something to me and the fact that we're coming UP on a decade between ncaa tournament appearances? Like ARE you kidding me And I have like the kevin young experience has already. Been crazy and very exciting very few Things get Me down To provo aj devonsa will i'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna head down there for a.
Speaker 1: Couple of, games, this year tell You, fans your, experience watching Alex you know work with Rudy And what you think alex Jensen can do.
Speaker 8: For the utah, basketball program take you back maybe you know a Little Bit prior, to THE utah Jazz experience because i covered rick mcjaris and the Team that went to the final four and then lost in the in The Championship game down To san, antonio In The final four and alex jenson, obviously was on that team and he was, a leader on that team an. Important Part of That team so i've known alex since his college days and then of course when He Got hired by the Utah jazz and was on quinn's staff and watching his development skills right and being able To Develop, a player Like Rudy gobert four Time. Defensive player of the year that kind of stuff is if we're, talking about a college experience, that's what you're looking for is a.
Speaker 2: Guy that can do.
Speaker 8: That and, WHEN that announcement was made I was elated for the University. Of Tih and for Alex and I'd run into alex when dallas would come and, play and we'd see him and he was, always cordial with my kids and so we'd get a. CHANCE to, interact with, him i think you know we're talking about we're a, fortunate state, where we have, you know good college athletics and then we have Good Coaches like To Have, klonie satake and kevin Yong and then You. Know alex, ALONG with, kyle it's like i mean you couldn't ask For anything better Than. The, bronco, up at, logan NOW yeah that's fantastic and i think we're Really fortunate that we have and this is. My personal observation and opinion there are a lot of coaches that. Are out there, from themselves they just are and so to have guys that really and, truly care about their kids even in a day and age where the kids are started to, STOP caring about the team i think that that's a, very valuable thing to have and.
Speaker 2: We're fortunate to have it.
Speaker 1: WELL said all right before i say You, loose coming up next thursday and made the twenty second. Thank you for the invite i'm excited to go. Down THERE and hack. Around hopefully i PLAY well but you and i are kindred spirits. In a number of ways one of the things you do that isn't as public in front facing is you help people that find themselves mired. In drug and, ALCOHOL addiction and you, KNOW i always say this i think we Live in an era where i'm just grateful that we can say out loud. Mental, Health is simply health right it's. No longer, This weird thing you know it's not the gentlemen you See Under. The tree at pioneer park it's not the people you drive pastor in jazz games and wonder.
Speaker 2: What's going on, with them it's, your brother it's your, sister it's your. Ward member.
Speaker 1: IT'S your neighbors is pervasive i think it's. AN emergency in our. Country i have for years so. The, golf tournament sold out yeah the cause is something we. Should, talk about a.
Speaker 8: Lot yeah the Golf Tournament, it supports the salida foundation which is a five. O'h one c three nonprofit what it does is it helps people that Are Coming out of residential and i'm. A product of residential, TREATMENT if without residential. Treatment i wouldn't be here. It's just plain and simple but, as part of that process what, we've SEEN over the years and i have a, substitution disort of counseling degree went back and got. Some information and some education one of the things that becomes critically important. Is a residential treatment program it's, usually, thirty to sixty days, right and then after that you know a lot of people find themselves. Out there On Their own what the salita foundation does is we support people with scholarship funds so They Can.
Speaker 2: Apply On The salita foundation.
Speaker 8: Thus salida foundation dot org and they can apply for a scholarship to help, them with sober living expenses which is one of the critical transition.
Speaker 2: Pieces that helps people to.
Speaker 8: Stay on a sober path so we help them with the sober living and then we can continue to offer and pay for their trauma therapy if. They need more of that and then there's a mentoring, that's a part of that. Which is a huge piece the mentoring to be able to have somebody that, you can reach out to, like a quote unquote sponsor but also a mentor that is. Going to Work With you so the salita foundation provides those services and the money that we'll, raise through the golf tournament which again thank you to all the. People that have, signed up it's sold out but those monies will go to help people that are in need and help them.
Speaker 2: Stay on a sober path and where can.
Speaker 1: People go get more information let's say we have a listener who's going through some things themselves.
Speaker 2: Or, maybe a family member Yeah please Go To the salita THE. SALITA FOUNDATION THAT'S S.
Speaker 8: O L I d a thus salita foundation dot org and, you can make a contribution make a donation of any kind and you can make a monthly donation if you want to set it. Up that way as well but we appreciate all the support and. IT'S making a big difference.
Speaker 2: A tran great to see i'll see you. Next week card as well.
Speaker 3: Always good to.
Speaker 1: See him Much Love There. Is the great alema harrington it might be time. That we retire the bit it might be time because it started, out AS a Funny thing and i know zach is gonna come on and Pretend. That He likes pit poll, But zach has. Been traveling he's been busy If, you follow him on instagram he's been.
Speaker 2: Doing a bunch of things so we haven't had.
Speaker 1: Him on For a while and now i'm just remembering that the. BIT just ruins my day i think it's time that we retire the pit, bull, Bit.
Speaker 2: Because you think well.
Speaker 1: Zach doesn't really like him he's gonna come on, and pretend that he does but there's, no way like.
Speaker 2: In, reality he actually does well we'll.
Speaker 5: Leave it up to him, It's his walk, up song.
Speaker 2: Zach off air how Often?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 2: Rocking pit poll.
Speaker 3: Every day then he has At Least Four Songs in my Like. Favorite songs playlist on spotify.
Speaker 1: Do you feel do you feel okay about Yourself? When you come on, aaron just. LIE like this. YOU'RE lying i feel great.
Speaker 3: I feel great about myself i FEEL great about myself when i tell the truth, about mister. Three h five mister. WORLDWIDE you're, tapping YOUR toe i know. Like i can't see you and that's why you. Feel comfortable lying about this it's a bit, for, YOU to be Like. OH i don't like pitbull i. KNOW it's in YOUR car i know it's i know it's on your.
Speaker 7: On your, pill at home come.
Speaker 1: On it's very much, not, but how you been. Man it's been a while tell us. Give us an up date you've.
Speaker 2: Been all over.
Speaker 3: THE place i've been good i feel like THERE'S been a, how do i put this there's been. A pregnancy with my schedule i don't MEAN that as like a. I just that there is it's my Schedule is growing constantly and i'm just waiting for that to to just explode and. Just NOT have that anymore and i feel like now that we're down, TO one game a night i feel. Like that birth has happened, So.
Speaker 2: Your water has broken you're, No longer traveling.
Speaker 3: Broken yeah Like it's, Just like, now i'm LIKE i'm like what do i? Even? Do with my time now, they one game a night. ONE game of A night i feel like i don't. Even have a. Job anymore this is incredible?
Speaker 2: Where are you right. Now i'm in.
Speaker 3: MY apartment this is crazy i just Been A week ind in new orleans and trying to do my job and have fun at. The same time was insane did you?
Speaker 2: BEHAVE yourself even, KIND of.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah i mean. I, got my work done.
Speaker 1: Okay that's all that matters as long as, you get the work done you, can do, Whatever.
Speaker 2: You want all right zach. We got to.
Speaker 1: Start here the, lottery's, Rigged everyone hates you. Jah, No one loves jazz okay so the?
Speaker 2: Fixes? And what's going on man?
Speaker 7: How?
Speaker 2: Do, we fix this.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 9: Well my solution is simple is one one we we we, we lament tanking all year right or.
Speaker 3: At least, half the year, we're like this is bad. It's bad for the product and then the teams that tank don't get rewarded the last at, least the last, three, years and they're like well. This is this is unfair well. They did all this, tanking then you get rewarded and that's not that's not. How that's supposed to go so to eliminate tanking and to make, this a more fair process just it's a it's an unwighted lottery one and fourteen chance you missed. The playoffs, one in fourteen that way there's no incentive to to Be as bad As the wizards And the jazz and. The hornets were this year and in order to kind of try to stack, the odds in, your favor is you know to get that, Fourteen PERCENT one, IN fourteen like i just i. THINK it's a simple solution i will never believe that teams are going to tank out of the playoffs in order to get a one in fourteen chance, At THE number, ONE pick like i just i think that is so ridiculous AND fails to. Understand HOW nba teams operate and i think it will bring a better product to the to the last. Couple. Months, of the season.
Speaker 1: Certainly well, while we're IN the space even though i am RISKING insulting your intelligence and i. Find the conversation intellectually embarrassing we do live in the modern day and age where if your, guy doesn't win an election, you cry that it's stolen, and you storm the, capitol and if, your guy if. YOUR team, If your team i mean. I'M not, saying it's not. I mean let's be clear i'm not saying that wasn't. The right thing to do. I'm just painting a picture, if your team didn't, win the ref got paid if your, kid doesn't make the team the, coach doesn't like you like we cannot. Take L'S in our society so i am doing radio in a city full of people that.
Speaker 2: Believe this thing is rigged can you help us understand why?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: VERY much, is, NOT.
Speaker 3: Well i mean look i can't. BE certain that it's not i. Do know that they're sad you don't.
Speaker 1: Know what, you, Just, did oh no hey porter. SHUT the tax line down i don't.
Speaker 3: Want TO hear.
Speaker 2: From ANYBODY oh i know ALL I know is.
Speaker 3: That i i know several people that were in the room that. That the lottery happened in they believe it's. On the up, and up they. WATCHED it they experienced it i got to. TAKE their work for, it i, don't think that you know maybe we. SHOULD check the bank accounts i don't think that you know there was some large sum of, money or some you Know unmarked bills and a. Duffel, BAG given, to them like i like we've had this process viewed by the, media for a long time, and they write about it they, talk about it every, year and so you know, based on, ON knowing THAT you know i maybe i, need TO see it MYSELF but i feel like i feel like at this point it's it seems it seems. Like pretty hard to, rig at the same time, there are, some very coincidental you know moments in this lottery history that, seemed hilariously uh you. KNOW pointed in ONE direction i think. It's i think it's funny it, also doesn't affect me negatively. So it's easy, FOR me if it's funny i understand why. CERTAIN fan, bases, are upset i just man it's hard to. Imagine you could, rig that but you know everything's raked these days if, it doesn't go, your, way LIKE you said.
Speaker 1: Well if i, COULD speak for jazz Fans I just was hoping mike pence.
Speaker 2: Would do The right thing that's. WHERE i'm, at, WITH it.
Speaker 3: I mean look i think maybe he should be in.
Speaker 2: The, ROOM for, The lottery yeah. I, Mean, i'm an idea.
Speaker 1: Man look here's the deal the one team that could not win the thing to not inspire conspiracy theories, Won the thing like that.
Speaker 3: That's what happened for sure and we Had The same, thing with new Orleans Twice right with the Anthony Davis draft, and the zion, Williamson draft and you know Cleveland wins, It THE year, lebron, leaves like i mean look you have these moments where It, does seem, awfully Coincidental lebron you know the Lebron draft when you know, cleveland Gets number one pick The Chicago gets it, When, derrick, rose is available like yes there are times where it seems impossible, for this stuff to happen and and, you can point towards whatever like it feels like those things where if, you want to believe it you can find a. Way to twist it. RIGHT it, IS so funny I mean i was doing i, was doing a you know video or something for the athletic and we're doing this thing of LIKE the best like who i wanted to see WHEN the lottery and who i didn't want to see win THE lottery of this and i almost put in THE top five of teams i Want. To see THE lottery, dallas and then, i thought now that's. Ridiculous sense that could, happen and then of course like as it gets down to, THERE in, the top four, i thought oh my god like THEY won this thing before I even saw the top like who who was? Positioned in the, top, four you just knew like, Of course they won this. Like, IT'S it's too funny well i guess it's not funny, to a few, fan days but to me it was too funny. For, not to be.
Speaker 1: Them yeah and for Comedic per is, not just dallas At one but, The freaking spurs it too, like, Give me a, break man.
Speaker 3: But all right would it? Have been what do? You WOULD it, HAVE mattered But i mean i guess jazz fans getting getting fifth like. It sucks no matter what but would they have felt Better if it was The spurs at? One in dallas at. TWO or it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I don't, think it matters i mean as much as it's stinging Folks around here that. The jazz fall to five the other thing that you look at is You're, already if you're the jazz. YOU'RE, Already a mile behind okc you're Already a mile behind even houston, and all the you know you're a mile behind most Of, the teams in the west but maybe some of the other. Teams, are within shouting Distance now two of your western conference piers will add two really good players to two rosters that already have a lot of.
Speaker 2: Really, good players, ON.
Speaker 3: Them yeah and. THAT i MEAN that's fair i mean i think the good news and, maybe this is being mean but, like the good news is like You Get out, of, the ace bailey SITUATION right we think, like i think that like if you finish in, that top two or three you probably end up having to take him if you don't. Get the number one, pick AND so maybe you like i, everything you read, about him see about him like it just seems like that's a guy like you kind of have. To TAKE in that zone but. I don't, think he'll fallow i. MEAN maybe we'll. Fallow five i don't know he just. Measured, IT like six seven yeah i thought he was.
Speaker 2: Six.
Speaker 1: Ten this whole time yeah and, IF he falls to five i mean maybe you.
Speaker 2: View, THAT as a win. YEAH i, think you do i.
Speaker 1: MEAN unless, you, fall in i mean look you, know the deal around, here folks are Like Well, we can't get cooper. Flax so, let's get continent it's like let's not just do, the best white guy possible.
Speaker 2: Maybe, get the best player?
Speaker 5: Yeah who do you think who do you?
Speaker 3: Think?
Speaker 2: Is realistic at five, Though, IT'S.
Speaker 3: A good question like i mean, the, contrapt thing is like yeah like you could get a six five guy who plays, Like A six, TO one like i, like i, like he's good he's skilled. But, HE plays, so, SMALL yeah i don't like i don't understand the draw of the guy who plays so small for. WHAT his, HEIGHT actually is i mean i, guess In the Five Range, Like, I'VE seen Trey Johnson like i. Think TREY johnson's really good like I Don't. THINK you want derek queen i Definitely. DON'T think you Want Conkinemple i don't think jeremiah fears is. Like the right Guy there i'm. A, BIG malu watch guy like i think. There's SO much potential there And I know you have, walker kesseler, AS the center but like i just think that there is so much raw potential, there, and it's not like oh you've got. To teach this guy's, skill he has great, touch he has. Great feel for the, game he's a good, defender he's a good rebounder. He's a good offensive player, his TEAMMATES rave about him like i think that that is the guy with The Highest upside Outside Of. Cooper flag and dylan harper now, he may not reach that but if your whole organization for a decade plus has been about we get guys and we develop them and we, bring that, out of them to me. That's, the guy to develop yeah it's.
Speaker 1: It's it's, an Intriguing point and yeah the walker stuff might. Be A little bit redundant but i Wonder if you think the jazz have WHAT it takes to, to i, Don't think It you know and even tim McMahon reported this Week that the ownership in dallas, Has Handed, the edict down like nico you're. Not, allowed to trade it okay we are keeping It And, We are drafting cooper flag so. Stay out of the room but do you think There's any world Where San antonio Looks At daron fox And Stefan castle and says dylan harper's a little redundant and maybe. Somebody can grab number Two do you think the jazz get? INVOLVED in something like that i.
Speaker 3: THINK they ABSOLUTELY absolutely should i mean i think with, their with their you know kind, of treasure trove of, picks and THEY'RE young, guys And EVEN i, mean if i'm i know this, sounds maybe a little. RIDICULOUS or maybe, it Doesn't i, don't know if i'm utah maybe, this isn't getting enough back and you've got. TO figure out a Way I, would, dangle, out larry markaman like hey you Want. This guy next to wemby here's a. Shooter that'll spread the floor we got we GO. Get the number two b, and you, really start like All Right, You BELIEVE in, dylan, HARPER like i mean look i. Know The marketing and everything dylan Harper Is way Better Than isaiah collier and, kanty, George went way better right like you don't have to do that, thing, anymore where It's Like oh, you passed john stockton's, Record like like he's legit he's, a legit point guard prospect and so like you need more back than. Just the number, two pick larry's obviously awesome but like you maybe have. To get aggressive in that and since you're now accepting that you're in a rebuild one year. Into a three year rebuild now you can actually lean into it and go get whatever that is and, maybe bring in You Know, whether that's a kelton. JOHNSON maybe, IT'S maybe you i mean i don't know if They Would do two and stephan. CASTLE like that seems aggressive i don't, Think they would, do that but like you they have a lot of pieces that you can go get and maybe get. Involved IN three SCENE deals like I just i think they're i think it Would make sense for the jazz to be very aggressive with trying to go grab a higher pick in this while still holding on to the to the fifth pick where you can still. Get, A very GOOD player.
Speaker 1: Yeah i think i think one of the main issues that you could Run into there is san antonio could probably, get a lot for two right and do they?
Speaker 2: You know, They do they. And Look lowry's really good so I'm not.
Speaker 1: Trying to disparage lary Marketing but you call san antonio and you offer them, five in marketing for. Two they also have fourteen you get a late lottery pick and, maybe a piece from them and then you reset and you start over with a legitimate piece.
Speaker 2: Because they're not going to be able to Get To.
Speaker 1: ONE to get cooper flag i, have, all these friends like hey, they should trade to one they should trade Up. To one, and get flag i'm, Like they should do that but you need two people. To agree to such transactions so could you get two and Fourteen And a piece from san? Antonio for five In marketing or could san antonio get a lot more than that for?
Speaker 2: Two, BECAUSE so MANY people.
Speaker 3: Yeah i JUST i don't know if i just don't know if, You NEED to include five like i don't know that those players are going to, Be OUT on the market like i Know There's. The talk of kevin durant do we know that they want to go sell a bunch of assets for A Couple? OF years of kevin durant i don't think that doesn't seem like the, Move, that they, would do like you know for for what, WE know about that organization I don't really believe that giannie's is going. TO be on the table I don't really believe that booker is going. To be on the table like if we're starting, to look at You know star and maybe i'm, wrong about all that stuff but if we're starting to look at like, stars who, could be available you know a player like marketing might be. As, good as a gift now it doesn't mean you have to make a trade If. You're IF you're. SAN antonio but i don't i don't Know That You, Have To if i'm utah i'm i'm not really dangling that fifth pick and in that trade unless it is. A very aggressive trade market they do have all, these teams throwing that in and then you, do have to. INCLUDE that?
Speaker 1: Do, YOU think i mean look i would sound like the biggest HYPOCRITE in the world if, i, sat here and said man it was the wrong approach this YEAR to intentionally lose because i believed it was, the RIGHT thing to do and i believed it was the right Thing to do. When women yama was available After you Move, on FROM mitchell and gobert but i also have to acknowledge at this point that since the odds, were flattened in twenty nineteen literally zero Of the teams that the Jazz that did what the jazz tried to do this year have been rewarded with. The Number one overall pick tim bontemps had a piece up ON the dot com for espn citing a number of different front office executives that all seem to be in lockstep That they're glad That the jazz and the wizards were not rewarded for having a lack of integrity of trying to build a team? That actually competes for real are we moving into a space where you no? Longer want to lose intentionally even Though In, a city like saul lake it does feel like the Only way to get a cooper flag or a generational piece is to have the top one or. Two picks, in the draft you. Know it's interesting to consider the vote for flattening the odds, was twenty nine to one and The One dissenting Vote Was sam presty in oklahoma, city because His Point, Was, we're in oklahoma city like it's not. Easy to get stars, Here obviously they've done it but does the approach change at some point now that the data is in that. LOSING intentionally guarantees you nothing.
Speaker 3: I. Mean it guarantees you nothing but did anybody, watch that twenty twenty two twenty? Twenty three s first. Team they were pretty terrible they.
Speaker 2: Were, worked out for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah THEY weren't the, worst, but i mean no like the process is the Process not to go, all sam, hanky on it you know but like, the process is the process like it it is still the best avenue towards getting one of. Those guys in the draft just because it hasn't worked the last three years in terms of the worst team getting that doesn't mean the, other teams, who have tried you know have tried to to to. TAG can, Improve their position i mean washington was terrible last year they, did with, The TWO pick you know, like i mean this year it was a it was a high profile class and. You, HAD two, Good teams well i, mean santoni wasn't that good but they, were, supposed to Be good right and, because wendy's injury and everything but you had two, good teams or you know supposedly good teams with a lot of talent end up at. THE top of, The, draft i, still believe like to me this is this is reminiscent of, like a few years, ago all of, a, SUDDEN it was like hey i don't Know if. You want, A big three you know i don't know if teams want three. Superstars and had two superstars AND this was before the. Cda got, changed, and everything it's like no they want as many stars as they can. Get like they like this we can sometimes overthink this. Stuff because of the results the process is still to get the. Best odds in your favor and, SO until they change it i. Still believe that's Gonna happen like if if i'm going, to butcher the kid's NAME but you know a j the kid that's going to, b yu if he is you know this one, everyone tanks for next year and one of those, teams tanks and gets him it's just going. To reinforce the TANKING process like unless the nba truly is rigging this thing to get the non tanking teams, to get, that top, pick to dissuade you know anyone, From from trying this process like that's that's the only thing that's going to make that tanking. Option, not actually look attractive yeah.
Speaker 2: And obviously the reaction this week is prisioner of The moment. With what happened monday.
Speaker 1: Night But what what what? DOES philly do at Three i Mean We've. TALKED dallas, and san antonio i mean technically they have Two really good players that i'm gonna say went healthy because you have to are. Still kind of game changers do you do you think they could move that pick to try To Get em BEAT and paul george and maxi veteran help or have they seen enough that these dudes just don't stay healthy and.
Speaker 2: We've, GOT to move on yeah i.
Speaker 3: DON'T think they move on i think they're kind of pot committed at least FOR another, year because who i mean, who knows what you know what operations or procedures that they'll they'll hope work on embiid for getting. Him ready, FOR next playoffs but yeah i mean it's a it's a weird position because they can't, get a really good talent right if you do Believe That you can, develop ace bailey into, something if, you do believe you know one of these other guys is is someone who Can Become, a star of. Trey johnson, Someone like THAT you know i've seen dj edgecom. KIND of get, MOCKED there i. YOU know i like him i don't know if that's like number, three pick, good crazy athlete decent shooter, doesn't really, MOVE the BALL you know i don't i don't really, know that, there's a good you know. Natural FIT there at three so i would say you either swing for the guy with the highest potential And If, you think that's ace bailey then, you just you Do It and you hope paul george is an incredible influence, in terms of you know. Development and, professionalism and everything because look we can make A Lot. Of jokes about paul george, he's, still, an, incredible player right, like like yes he can he can be, a punching bag of time but. He's still an incredible player and, so you, Do put him you, know ace under his wing like you you maybe get a great just mentorship there to to set. Him On the right path darryl morey said that. They plan to Keep It, so if, you're james harden you, know elsewhere in the world. You believe, THAT he's lying, you KNOW i don't know but i. Think THEY should explore it like i think you that team needs as much betteran, help as possible they need like they need any. Guys who can play now this. Isn't a two timeline situation like they need guys who can who can play and. Be, healthy, actually play, now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no for sure all right remaining a few minutes to talk about teams that, are actually still playing Basketball. And we'll, Start, out east you KNOW zach, you like.
Speaker 2: Dogs I do all right so i've Come to the conclusion that.
Speaker 1: Donovan is a golden doodle, and you love golden doodles and you can ye bring them to the dog park, and, sometimes they drop fifty right and sometimes.
Speaker 2: They'll win A dog show.
Speaker 1: AND but, indiana's got pipulls, I mean just and look donovan had plenty, of really good playoff.
Speaker 2: Games and he always does it's just when the.
Speaker 1: Moments demand toughness and physicality we saw it here And.
Speaker 2: We're seeing it.
Speaker 1: In cleveland there's just something about him that doesn't exude that toughness when the. Moment is is requiring toughness and he can do a postgame press conference where he drops f bombs and you guys Are gonna write this and. I'M getting in, the, Gym i don't Know man your takeaways From?
Speaker 2: Indiana, taking care. OF cleveland yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny i, Like the past few years i've been banging this drum of like his, playoff reputation, is not earned you. KNOW like this is outdated i didn't feel. THAT way after this series i felt like he was making a lot of like the good decisions and the good plays of, what he's supposed to do and then eventually was looking, around halfway, through a game you know the last one exclude or whichever one, they were, down forty, at you know at halftime like, looking around, like, you know and going hey is? Anyone? Gonna join me here yeah? Does anyone want to play and then he would just kind of have to take this on himself and either run out of gas or he just didn't, have it or, you know like you said like sometimes it's gonna drop fifty and sometimes he's just gonna.
Speaker 2: Be a golden.
Speaker 3: Doodle that IS just there and and i just that. Team is just mentally weak we've seen, it for three straight years and every time they, have an excuse every time and, when you're on year three it's like yeah but his toe hurt or, yeah but they had This or, yeah, but that, like okay great you can't yeah butt. Your way to. The championship you just can't and you're on, year three and this year none of those. Guys could hit a shot none of. THOSE guys wanted The ball i saw, Like, DONOVAN just GO like okay i guess, i have, to do this, you know, like you know. To like yeah he can everything you just said is, Is one hundred percent correct like he like he can do all those, quotes and all that stuff and it kind of turns you into Like The Guard version Of, karl anthony towns, in, minnesota right where like yeah that, all that speak is great but you kind of got. To deliver AT some point and but I looked around. And Like. MOBLEY shriveled up darius garland i know he had. The, toe injury and everything man that dude's never been. That Dude in the playoffs like I'M like he just like i was having this argument, with a couple of Friends Like if they Had Andrew, nemhard and said darius. Garland they win, That Series like you're right like indiana. Is a bunch of dogs, like those guys are. Tough those guys are fearless those guys are ready. To play In the playoffs nobody on. Cleveland WAS ready TO play and i just I look, AT that, and, i think i think yeah. You can run It back and the, whole tatum injury changes things but they're still gonna be soft next year when. It comes to, the postseason? I'm, still like, what changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right do.
Speaker 1: The knicks get it done it feels like they have. To, get it, done tomorrow yeah you know.
Speaker 3: THAT'S that's a great question i do kind, of, just think that was like are you gonna get that game Where you rally around the tatum injury and you're? At home, and shots fall But, man, It is the knicks right if, anybody was Gonna. Do it it's the knicks and this is. Still A really good team like i actually thought, the offense flowed really well and it helps when The, shots are falling for boston but they were forced to play. A more team oriented thing they didn't have like two guys who would just go one. On one and create stuff they really had to get into the lane and make that ball move and and and you know we saw that, In the second half especially and so if they Can Play That, way in madison square garden whether, the shots fall or not if they, play that style of ball It's. Going to FRUSTRATE the, KNICKS but like i Mean i gotta. TAKE the knicks HERE tomorrow i Just like i even the knicks got. To close this one Out we got to get knicks pacers Like round TWO for, THIS they just i man i would Feel So bad for the knicks fansas if, this one goes.
Speaker 7: That.
Speaker 3: Way THAT can't, HAPPEN.
Speaker 1: Yeah like i said i feel like that if they, don't, Get it done tomorrow man sunday is going. To, be nerve, racket tough yeah all right let's, MOVE over to YOU know i feel like I Was just waiting for jimmy butler to be who he was a couple of years Ago when he carried the heat.
Speaker 2: To The finals by.
Speaker 1: Himself after steph went down but Then you look at everything, minnesota CAN throw at, HIM and i don't know i still was kind of waiting for him to take over in a. Way that, Just never happened you know boston Can, look Really Connected without tatum and golden State. Is just lost Without steph so takeaways From Minnesota, Taking, CARE of golden state.
Speaker 3: Yeah i, mean they Just you know it's that miami team was built a Certain way to play around jimmy and maybe if there's more familiarity throughout a season, or a couple of seasons. Maybe you, can find that but one there there's not a lot of Shooting on that, team when, Steth's not there, you KNOW and AND two like i just i don't know that he was ready, TO do that you. Know i, don't know That you know You've Got jaden McDaniels and julis randall's playing the. Best ball of his life, And They've Got. You know nikkel, alexander walker they've got like they've just got a lot, Of guys that they like like you said That they can throw at jimmy and and there's just not a. Lot of space, In there and, You know minnesota's you know minnesota might be The better team even when, Steph is. There, like that minnesota's good yeah. This is a good team they're turned the ball over a, lot and they you know if they play okay, see in the next round they. Have to clean that up but that is a team that can't like they're good. Enough, to win a.
Speaker 1: Championship, YEAH yeah, they are no i agree probably should have been paying more attention to.
Speaker 2: Them than, most people.
Speaker 1: WERE all right Final thing i won't write denver off until they're done because of The, Respect to, have for jokic but Man Are they thin and jamal murray. Is Questionable with an illness okay see is A five point favorite in denver tonight does it end or?
Speaker 2: Does it Go to seven in okac.
Speaker 3: It feels Like this series deserves. THE game seven right now I also feel like that game seven could be a forty Five. Point WIN for the thunder LIKE i don't think we're i don't think, we're GUARANTEED a.
Speaker 7: Great finish but i do feel like.
Speaker 3: WE'RE guaranteed a game seven i think We're gonna, get a great jokic game regardless, he had three miserable games and he was, he was fantastic last game even though. His TEAMMATES let him down is i just? The role players at home. They got to play better they at least got to hit a couple of shots in. The fourth quarter they hit if they hit like four, Shots in the fourth. Quarter denver wins that, game like they hit one. They hit one around him, if they, hit four more they. Like they WIN that game and so i don't. THINK that's, Asking, a lot i think okay see on the road might. Struggle A little bit there so i'm gonna. Say THEY get it done but i have zero Confidence in Anybody not named nikola, Jokicch.
Speaker 1: I'm with you there zach, good, To talk to you. Man it's been too long glad the travelers went. Well and enjoy.
Speaker 2: The Games we'll, CHAT.
Speaker 3: Too ballet oh dear.
Speaker 2: I had to do it it was such a. Good interview. Until The End All right.
Speaker 1: The great zach Harper at tak hoops on twitter rights FOR. The athletic covers the nba He Has a newsletter called the bounce and then does, a Couple, of different podcasts including cinfo which. Is a fun movie, podcast he works his. Tailoff so support his work brought to you today By. Our Friends At All polysports their rising stars camp. Is Riding around the corner it's june Seventeenth Through The eighteenth at lone peak park which is one, on one four zero South seven hundred east in sandy full padded, in a full contact camp you must, provide your own equipment, helmets shoulder, pads, and epads chin.
Speaker 2: Strap mouthguard jersey and cleats camp, feed, does.
Speaker 1: Not, include lodging meals football EQUIPMENT or, Transportation due to ncaa rules reduced fees or.
Speaker 2: Scholarships Not available as well.
Speaker 1: All polysports is Non Refundable Register for the rising stars camp if you are currently in grade six through the. Eighth at allpolysports dot com another kind. OF a chilly may day a little warmer, today than it was yesterday Some, decent conditions tomorrow and saturday and it's Going to cool down again sunday and through.
Speaker 2: The beginning Of next.
Speaker 1: Week but happy, thursday too you're, almost there almost weekend time one. Day away from the weekend and as, it is every single day it's going to have you a Long full. Or the riots bence Check It's beyond the mic porter. Larsen producing The program today beyond The glass five o'clock hour today is brought To You, by friends at cortland roofing reroofing and roof repair experts with.
Speaker 2: Over twenty years of experience.
Speaker 1: They're Family Owned and operated call cortland roofing today to get free rain. Gutters with any roof replacement, if you're in the market or if, you're almost in the market if you're walking outside you.
Speaker 2: Check out the roof, like that's not Looking.
Speaker 1: Good you should call courtland roofing right now because they're offering free rain, gutters with your roof replacement which is. Savings of thousands of dollars so here's the number at eight oh one six one. Five five five six zero that's eight oh one six one, five five five six zero eight oh, one six one five five five six zero or.
Speaker 2: Online at, cortlandroofing dot com all right We're.
Speaker 1: Gonna go live to, denver not as a show, it's Too Late, for that but Tony Jones, who covers the denver nuggets will give us a preview. Of The massive game Tonight the Thunder Are in denver at ball Arena To, take ON the denver nuggets and okc is actually a. Four point five point favorite news came down about an hour And A half ago that jamal murray is, officially questionable with An illness and of course denver is. Fighting FOR their, playoff lives if okc Wins They Advanced to the western conference Finals To, take on the minnesota Timberwolves Who Dispatched of the golden state warriors last night with relatives. Won TWENTY one to one ten i was a great Knight For, former jazz man mike connelly Who kind Of. Captured the fountain of youth hit four three, point shots at sixteen points. Eight Assists and six, rebounds rudy. Gobert seventeen points eight boards so a. Couple of former Jazz Men In, addition to nikhil Alexander walker they also have, joe ingles on The. Bench so happy for minnesota bummed To Not be, watching the stephen curry experience and you have to wonder whether or not this is the Final.
Speaker 2: Time we'll even.
Speaker 1: See steph although he was hurt missed, the final couple of games there were some conversation that he might come.
Speaker 2: Back and play last, night gave it a go.
Speaker 1: Was Not Able to go and jimmy butler never fully was able to capture that ball dominant scoring prowess we've seen from him in. The Playoffs in the past And Minnesota Advances to the western conference finals. For the, second straight year you know it's funny we, do this thing ABOUT trades and that's. WHY i hate trade grades i respect, the people to do it and it's. Part of the media. Game you gotta do it your boss likes you to do it because listeners. Like to check it out readers want to click on a trade grade to see if. Your team won the trade and If you remember When The jazz, made the go bear trade it was more Or less Consensus. THAT the jazz fleeced minnesota i was not as adamant. That that was the deal now there's plenty of time left to see what the Draft picks manifest for the jazz as opposed to, analyzing this deal right now but you always have.
Speaker 2: To wait, And See it of.
Speaker 1: Course walker kesser was part of that deal and he's Been, really GOOD for the jazz and i think he's part Of the core. Of the jazz moving forward But there's A Reason why minnesota and tim connley is one of the best, general managers in pro basketball the Guy That's credited with Finding Nicola. Jokich for the denver nuggets we're so willing to give up that draft capital and some Young pieces in exchange for rudy because you can see that he continues to impact winning and he Really Outplayed his old buddy. Draymond green, in the series Of course as connected, as Boston looked last night as boston was able to Extend the series with, the knicks to six Games That Goes back to madison square garden where we'll find It tomorrow. At six o'clock mountain. Time boston looked. Really good they looked connected their, Defensive effort Was Really solid, they bothered, new york shooters and offensively the ball popped in a. Way That sometimes it doesn't with Tatum on the floor because tatum is a, bit of a ball. Stopper even though He's awesome as Connected As, Boston Looked against new york golden State. Is so lost without, curry it's, very very obvious of, course To Make that statement because. Stephen curry is, generationally SPECIAL so last, night As I refer hin the boston celtics were able to Get It Done against THE New york knicks at Td garden, front of a roush's crowd one twenty. Seven to one oh two really Was the Third Quarter where boston outscored new. York thirty, two to, seventeen fourth quarter you know the next made a, little Bit of a comeback. But boston could not Miss and right now the celtics have outscored the next plus ninety in this series, from the three point line which is who they.
Speaker 2: Are And what they do derek white.
Speaker 1: Seven Of thirteen from three derek white has hit thirteen three point shots. In The past two games peyton pritchard came off the bench Played thirty nine minutes as. Tatum was on the sideline he had seventeen. Five of fourteen from three he was six, of seventeen from the floor though randomly Enough as a result of christaps, porzingis either not, being right not, being healthy or being hurt or simply. Forgetting How to play basketball joe mizzoula polled him after twelve minutes and he didn't play. The rest of the game and that was the move that may have made This Thing completely UNTENABLE for new york because i Don't Know who the hell, luke cornett thinks he Is But he played like bill russell, last night twenty six minutes made, all five of, his shots, had ten points nine rebounds and seven block Shots to really bother, the Knicks At.
Speaker 2: The rim and new york could not get anything.
Speaker 1: Going really from the outside miles, McBride Had a good game josh hart, randomly went five of, nine which he never does but mckel bridges FOUR or fourteen, og who i, love man that's, my Guy One of twelve and jalen brown Took The assignment of guarding jalen brunson and.
Speaker 2: For the most.
Speaker 1: Part, Turned His water off now jalen brunson did finish with twenty, two points and six assists but he needed, seventeen shots to do it only hit one of four. From three nine free. Throws that's a. Good number you like that But We'll See if the new york knicks can GET. It done, tomorrow at msg if Not they're going Back to Boston for a sunday afternoon Game Seven. Tilt against the. Boston celtics, so playoff basketball of course we'll have that, game On the station Tonight. The thunder and the nuggets we will bring That To you right after tony Jones. Stops BY Live in denver the pga championship is Going On Right Now at Quail, Hollow Golf. Club In charlotte north. Carolina xander schafflesier. Defending Champ some interesting storylines jordan speith Is Attempting. TO win the grand Slam i think this Is Jordan's, tenth TRY the grand slam and i don't know that he's. EVEN gonna Make the cut i believe jordan was in the. Clubhouse at four over par he MAY have bogeyed the last i have not, been watching because. You Know we're doing radio but jordan dumped his approach, on eighteen into the water and it looks like he did finish at five over seventy, six is what, he carded five over par which is tied for, One hundred and twenty ninth So The quest for the grand slam is probably not. Going to happen this year but this golf course has caused a lot of issues for some of the. Best Golfers in the world phil nicholson eight over parr probably not.
Speaker 2: Going To, make the cut dustin? Johnson Where?
Speaker 1: Have you gone dustin johnson live golf stole that dude's GAME seven Over par for dj cam smith another. Live golfer five over par Once upon. A time a major champ it is a shame that what that league has done to some of the. Best Golfers in the World Sergio garcia four over. Brooks koepka four over all. The live guys are struggling rory. McElroy cards is seventy four he's at Three over par.
Speaker 2: As his, patrick can't.
Speaker 1: Lay goodness gracious some of the best GOLFERS in the word, J T two over par.
Speaker 2: Max homa two over par let's give a. Little love to?
Speaker 1: The leaders how about that the problem is most of the best golfers in the world not on, this leaderboard as of now.
Speaker 2: At Least at the top ryan.
Speaker 1: Gerard is five under par he card, it his Sixty Six today as is cam davis who rallied. Laid For A Sixty six luke donald Ryder cup captain for the europeans and formally the number one player in the world. Even at his advanced age he cards a four under par For Second place Along With. Steven Jaeger and alex smalley, Aaron Riot four under, par matt Fitzpatrick Three, Hundred So. IS kegan bradley victor hobland i believe he birdied the final two holes to. Card A three under par scotty scheffler despite, a double bogie on sixteen also at. Two under par as well so we have a major. Championship going on right, Now Just so you know, tony finaw, with a good not great solid seventy which is a one underscore which ties him at thirty one and.
Speaker 2: Keeps him in the mix had only four.
Speaker 1: Shots back after one round so the afternoon groups are finishing up as of now as far. As major championship golf goes so. That's kind of the deal WE'VE got a. Lot of, Nba playoff stuff of course we've been talking a lot today trying to move on From, The disappointment of the jazz i'll say falling to five, because that was their floor but they only had a. Fourteen percent chance at one the odds and the percentages did indicate the most Likely land spot for the, jazz were four and five and. Unfortunately they FELL the five so the nba combine, is going on right now and so we've, been doing some draft stuff trying to move on from the disappointment and analyze who, could be there at five because even though we Were all hoping that the Jazz Would, land one in cooper flag they will get.
Speaker 2: A good player at five and, as the combine rolls along.
Speaker 1: Some Interesting, storylines manifesting themselves ace bailey who at one point was thought to be a short Fire Number three Pick After. Cooper flag and dylan Harper ace was listed by rutgers all year. As a six' ten wing he. Measured six, To seven without shoes side note why? Are we measuring players without shoes that. Has never made sense to me?
Speaker 2: Are?
Speaker 1: We playing barefoot moving forward like? It, doesn't, make sense to me like hey he's it's like fletch six six? But six' nine with the afro why do we why do we. Measure players of the combine without shoes it makes zero sense to me.
Speaker 4: Or just measure all. Of them with shoes or with that it just. Has to be the same either way you.
Speaker 7: JUST have.
Speaker 5: TO have SOME uniformity there i think.
Speaker 4: I think i like with shoes because that's, the, that's the basketball player you get right that's the guy that's going out there, on the floor throwing his, basketball shoes get his vertical, to leap get his, get his measurements and uh that's uh that's the.
Speaker 5: Guy, you get when. You get drafted well.
Speaker 2: That's the point this, isn't beach volleyball when. You play basketball. CALL me old Fashion.
Speaker 1: You wear shoes i think So usually we're not, playing in the dominican ON the beach you're. Playing in the nba on hardwood floors. It has, never, made any sense me he's. Like, hey he's six two without? Shoes okay what is he, with shoes because when he. Plays, basketball he's wearing his basketball shoes yeah.
Speaker 4: THERE'S ALREADY like a want and a, i i, guess a culture of like you know adding. An inch or two to your, Hype just get some uniformity on it just. Get some get something across the.
Speaker 1: Board studies show that eighty eight percent of women on dating apps will not engage with men.
Speaker 2: That are shorter than five five? Eight have your what do you?
Speaker 5: Have you think? Listening six to.
Speaker 2: Two now, your business i'm legitimately? SIX feet man are you five, eleven i.
Speaker 4: Was gonna say every man like ninety percent of men that are six feet.
Speaker 5: ARE like five eleven, in, a quarter, i HAVE.
Speaker 1: A friend okay so, really if i, went to the, doctor, he would say you're five eleven right that's tall.
Speaker 2: Enough for me to list six feet.
Speaker 5: You get measured, With your shoes off.
Speaker 2: But moving forward.
Speaker 1: I'M getting measured with my shoes on i have a friend who legitimately is forty, six years old and five, to five and on his dating app.
Speaker 2: He's forty years old.
Speaker 1: And five nine, it's, like the most it's so egregious though because if you show up to the date and they're expecting someone like he's not he's, five nine and, he puts five five or excuse me he's five to five and. He puts five nine on his profile it'd be one, thing to, put five eight on there you know or, like exaggerate by an inch or two but four inches wouldn't you show, Up to the date.
Speaker 2: And, be like i'm leaving you liar.
Speaker 5: Well that's that's.
Speaker 4: The it's one thing on a baskets so the team, that's scouting, you in, in high school you know you know maybe. They look at you a little differently like everyone on my basketball, roster in, high school. Was six one six two six' three there was like one person on.
Speaker 5: My team that was actually over six foot.
Speaker 4: But when you're showing up for a date like that person's, going to probably call. You out, on it or at, least notice.
Speaker 1: Of course they're going to notice like you're four, inches shorter than you, said on the app. And by the way seven years younger Too at what point do you're gonna, get you're gonna, get to the conversation like wait a second you're forty seven and not forty you're.
Speaker 2: Already, FIVE to five, and, NOT five nine like i.
Speaker 1: DON'T know man i think it's a problem i think, you need to be accurate with the. Information both IN. Life and ON dating apps that's, MY psa the day.
Speaker 4: I agree with you i agree with you, i think with combine stuff, with the, draft with with all of it. You know let's, just put, it out. There transparency is.
Speaker 1: Key well said you know the other dirty trick is a picture with like your three hottest.
Speaker 5: Friends, and you don't know, which ones, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah and then you're? Like all right so? Who are you exactly, which one are you and by the, way the ones that have the group pictures.
Speaker 1: They're always the ones That's the, least, attractive maybe, maybe they thrown yeah no no trust.
Speaker 2: Me, have pictures that. Are up to date.
Speaker 1: Okay STOP fooling people, We're Living, in society if i, can go george costanza, accurate with your height accurate with the pictures not.
Speaker 2: Fifteen years ago when you were in.
Speaker 5: College, oh we still talked about.
Speaker 2: The, draft yes we, are who we are hey you. Got us you, got, a soft track there i'm just saying look we.
Speaker 1: Don't need to measure these, prospects without shoes It, makes zero sense anyway before you break, uh it Appears to be, as of now with the jazz at five one, Of The following Three players should Be Available. Ace bailey vj, edgecombe and then trey johnson, my Guess is and this is a guess and june twenty.
Speaker 2: Fifth is still a number of weeks away one.
Speaker 1: Of those three will fall, to five in Whichever of the three falls. That's, who the Jazz are going To, take now There's the mallawatch Kid From. Duke but the jazz already have walker Kessler, if you want To. Go kN k Nipple Go kN k Nipple i'm Not Sure jonathan Gavoni, has the jazz drafting jeremiah fears from oklahoma who is a Small Guard. REMINDS a lot of people Of jalen brunson i don't know if the, jazz really want to go in that direction but It's time to put the disappointment of the jazz falling to. Five aside and analyze who they. Could Take this is a good. Vibe song doobie, brothers, always good VIBE song in a Way Randomly.
Speaker 2: You and i.
Speaker 1: Are actually the doobie brothers in a way it's one OF the weirdest CONNECTIONS that we have because i swore like i was never going to MEET anyone. Else that had the same nickname i do, and MY grandfather may he rest, in peace when I Was two years old started calling me spencer. DOOBIE and my man lds his entire life i don't. Think he fully Knew What he was doing he nicknamed me spencer dooby And my family still This to my COUSIN chad still. Calls me doobey every time i see him and, you have the same connection. Through your father which is the most Random So. Technically we kind of are the doobie brothers.
Speaker 4: We are in some way now a little different. Because my family definitely did know the. Connotation it really knew what they were doing it was my dad was like wrapped up in a little Blanket and looked like, a little a little doobie and, my aunt my aunt coined him That, name and he was LITERALLY known as like there are people that i run into today that knew. My dad that never Knew, his real name they knew him as doobie. So that WAS like That Was his thing. And then i was, Doobie, Junior after. That so, There you go yeah doobie brothers.
Speaker 2: All right so we.
Speaker 1: GOT a little playoff action coming your way i ran into a little BIT of an issue on the, program and i elected to take one, route so, little WARM in the studio today. NOT bad but i ran out of time, i HAD a bunch of errands to run so I Came straight. To the show from the, no big. Deal IT'S part of the life just grinded so i was about to take the sweatshirt, off because it.
Speaker 2: WAS warm tank top underneath you know.
Speaker 4: What, I took THAT to a another level recently i realized I had the zip.
Speaker 5: UP jacket on because i, was AT home i was doing some.
Speaker 4: Chores BUT i didn't have anything UNDERNEATH it and i got a, call AND i left my house super QUICKLY and I was out and about and i realized i. Literally DID have a shirt underneath the jacket and i unzipped it and, there was not even a tank.
Speaker 5: Top, THERE but, had to keep, the.
Speaker 1: Jacket well i mean we're on YouTube so i'm not going to do the, Whole like no tank tops on YouTube now i'm not going to do the. TANK top thing on YouTube unless. SOMEBODY incentivized i.
Speaker 5: Think it's an espn thing i. Think that's what we were supposed to.
Speaker 2: Do does McAfee still?
Speaker 3: Do the?
Speaker 1: Tank, Top thing on the show all, right anyway i'll do it guns suns out. Guns out if you want to incentivize us we'll. Do The show in tank tops one day.
Speaker 5: Get roan to.
Speaker 4: SPONSOR a tank top segment there we, go i, know a, guy over this, summer all Right, Playoff basketball calling your?
Speaker 1: Away coming out porter what Comes our way on a, Weekend Edition. A friday Edition of the Show Yeah. Man on a, friday edition of the drive as you. Mentioned We'll set you loose for THE Weekend Craig bowlerjack stops by to recap nba DRAFT Lottery Week and LOOK ahead to the nba JAZZ or the nba. OFF Season And some nba playoffs, As Well Nba daily assist doubled up tomorrow. Howard beck dave MCMINNIMON both Joining The, show we'll talk some rsl with brian dunseeth and of COURSE We'll. Keep You guys updated on. The pga championship paul pugmyer will stop. By we'll give Away some golf as well very nice. Rough round, One For a lot of golfers our guy, tony fenal grinds to a one under par which puts him in a. Good spot leading up, hopefully into the weekend We'll Say, Good Night special Thank You. Today tony jones alema harrington and zach harper for any of, the sound you missed.
Speaker 2: From THE program today go to the.
Speaker 1: Website it's espn seven hundred sports dot com make sure to download our. Mobile APP and take us on the go the espn seven Hundred App is available For free In. The app, store and the google play store and finally for what we do, in our space for four hours every afternoon our podcast page is there.
Speaker 2: For your disposal.
Speaker 1: At any time you want please, support us go to Your, preferred podcast, catcher, search, the, drive with spence check it subscribe, rate review say nice things, in the comments give Us All the stars AND it helps reporter i'm. Spence saying tonight nba playoff basketball comes away coming UP on the other side right HERE, at espn seven hundred ninety two one fm And WE Are Proud to be part of utah's espn radio network