Speaker 1: It's the Minnesota. Goodbye Bailey and Jenny here vaannt will be joining us in a little bit. This says, hi, friends, please don't say my name. I have not written to you before, so I am nervous even writing this email. I heard Bailey went on a trip to London by herself on the show this morning, and that gave me an idea. I am off of work for two weeks. My spouse cannot take time off of work, and he's on prep for a bodybuilding show, so he cannot eat anything but meal prep. My fourteen year old son would prefer to do anything except go somewhere with his mom. Then I heard Bailey and I wanted to ask for your advice, slash opinions. Please, First, is it selfish for me to go on a trip by myself and leave my husband and son home alone? And second, where would you go if you could take a few days and go somewhere by yourself?
Speaker 2: And why? Thanks for your help. Okay, this is hard.
Speaker 1: I feel like for me to answer as not being a parent, But even though I'm not a parent, I don't think it's selfish for you to go on a trip by yourself. No, I think if your husband, which I'm assuming he is very capable of taking care of your guys son on his own, and you can do that and you can have some time and you probably need some time away by yourself.
Speaker 3: Anyways, I feel like you could rebrand it and call it boys Weekend and so that they could have, you know, time together to do all, you know, the boys stuff that they want to do. And then you'll be like, you guys are going to have fun on boys Weekend and I'm gonna leave versus I'm going on a vacation alone and I'm leaving you.
Speaker 4: Both to deal with whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you reframe it, I think you could totally get away with it. In terms of like where to go obviously, like if you only have a handful of days, it kind of depends on how much of that time do you want to be spending like driving or flying to wherever you're going, like the travel itself, So if you want to go somewhere like close by, I mean, Fallin was just in Door County and that seemed lovely, so you could go to Door County. I'm always for going to like Chicago, but I like city kind of stuff and things to do. In a city, and obviously that city's bigger than ours, so there's.
Speaker 4: Got to be way more to do there. I don't know, Jenny, where do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: I think those are both really good options if you're willing to do like a longer drive by yourself, than yeah, you could do like Door County up by I believe it's called the Apostle Islands Metaline Island. That's kind of been the upper part of Wisconsin as well. That's another option. Chicago's great. I love getting up early when like no one's awake and exploring a city by myself and having no itinerary, like I just get out and walk. So I did that the last time I went to Chicago, and it was probably my favorite part of this trip to Chicago, even though I was there with people. Sure, and I don't know, if you're a big city person New York City, you could never go wrong with that.
Speaker 3: I've always wanted to go to This is random left field Mackinaw Island, which is in Michigan. I've never been, but I was like really into the movie Somewhere in Time when I was in high school, and it's all set in Mackinaw island and it's just like beautiful. There's no cars or anything, and you just walk around and take bikes everywhere, and it's like picturesque, kind of storybook place.
Speaker 1: So I have been looking at doing a trip there in the last couple of years. It is a kind of tedious sort of trip if you're going by yourself, because you it's you can fly, but usually you have to like connect or the flight oh curly expensive. So to drive from the Twin Cities, I'm pretty sure it's like an eight hour drive and then you have to leave your car you get on a ferry to get over to the island. So it just depends on like if you're willing to do a drive like shit by yourself or not. But yes, I've thought about that too, and also if it's coming up soon, summertime I think is very busy for them. So I don't know what kind of maybe I know. I only say that because I like, all last summer there were like me and some girlfriends were trying to plan some stuff, and I'm like the planner, So I kept looking at going there and figuring out how to do it. And we only had a couple of days and with like the driving there and back. It was just like not a lot of work.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure about other like weekend kind of stuff. Like me and my mom always said that we want to go like on a weekend trip to like Graceland because we're really into Elvis, and so I feel like anywhere in Tennessee, like a major city in Tennessee would be a nice like weekend kind of trip would be a fun kind of vibe. I'm just trying to think like places that you could get a lot of stuff done in like a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love San Diego too, and I almost did a trip there by myself for my birthday one year, but my girlfriend ended up coming last minute. But I was going to go just by myself and explore, and once again, I didn't really have like any kind of itinerary for it. So yeah, that's kind of what we did in the end.
Speaker 3: Have something planned for like the night, yeah, and then like have the day be like whatever you want. You like, walk by a museum, great, go into the museum. You walk by a park, great, go into the park, and then have plans at nighttime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's get on.
Speaker 1: We have quite a few emails, so I want to get to a bunch of these, so this one's that's good morning. I was listening to the segment of Monsters the Pot about the amount of money that people spend on their kids' birthday parties. I have two young children myself, and I used to think similarly, and I agree if your goal is for photos on social media, you are doing it for the wrong reason. However, I don't think there is anything wrong with making the day actra spec for your children, because, even though they won't remember it, all those little moments when their brain is developing a feeling extra love, extra attention, and your engagement with the child is so crucial for brain development and for them to understand love.
Speaker 2: So while you may not need to hire.
Speaker 1: A full Disney princess cast, it's okay to have people over and have some extra decorations and get people really excited with some additional things along those lines. Now that my children are older and have friends, it's also okay not to go overboard and expect to pay for ten kids to go to a trampoline park or mini golf. In we had our son's kindergarten class over for his birthday. I ordered a couple pizzas, and I played music and gave the kids all glow sticks for a dance party. The whole thing costs less than one hundred dollars and he had a blast nice job on the show this week without daddy bear yag. They say, and that comes from Rebecca Vant. What do you feel about that?
Speaker 5: I have two things to ask one, don't you and I'm just playing Devil's advocate. Wouldn't you want to spend that money when you're child is old enough to remember those things? That was I think the point. I think I made that original point when I said it. Yeah, like I think that a kid who's one or two or three won't remember, Like, sure, they're developing feelings, but they could experience those feelings of love without you having to spend an arm and a leg. I feel like, you know, as a let's just say, what nine or ten year old who gets this grandiose birthday party where all the Disney princesses are there in bouncy houses and funnel cake machines and stuff, I think that's a little bit more memorable. Yeah, I mean, well, it is more memorable to feel like love, especially that's like a not an age where you're developing feelings, but it's a tender age. Second point, and I showed Bailey I found some screenshots of that birthday party. There was what did I show you? It was a whole ice cream truck. Yeah, and then there was like a two tiered cake.
Speaker 4: Not even two, it was like four tiered cake. And that's why I just think it's nuts.
Speaker 5: Jenny.
Speaker 4: I'll show it to you.
Speaker 5: But that's just why I think it's like to do all of this for a kid that's not even gonna remember any of this.
Speaker 2: That's pretty extra.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty exteresting.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Rebecca, you make some good points. I don't think that you're changing Vaughnt's mind, So we'll move on to the next one. Let's see this says, hey, don't say my name. First off, love hearing vont on the pod, and Jenny, I promise I'm not obsessed with you. Okay, maybe a little, but I feel like sometimes we are the same person. Wisconsin turned Minnesota Girly is similar anxiety journeys, love, traveling, national park, et cetera. But also, I will tell you that you are such a great radio personality.
Speaker 2: Sorry, this I feel so self serving as I'm reading this. This is the first time I'm reading that's not loud.
Speaker 1: Sure, you are such a great radio personality, and although I love Dave, it's great to hear your voice more when he's gone.
Speaker 2: Sorry Dave.
Speaker 1: Also, Jenny, I thought it was very cool, for lack of a better word, for you to share that you don't drink that much anymore, as I also have found myself to be selectively sober, as I call it. I used to also drink a lot in college as Ahm Bailey UWRF student, and then of course I would with friends after a hard day at work, weekends, et cetera. Over the last year, I I only have had maybe less than five drinks at very special occasions like a best friend's wedding or something. I have found myself feeling so much better too, and I love that you talked about it on the podcast. I think it was on I'm Still Fun. But also, can we both agree that Spotted Cow is the best? Yes, Spotted Cow super good.
Speaker 4: It's a beer, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's a Wisconsin beer that like, it's literally illegal for them to distribute it in Minnesota, so you can't get into Minnesota, but have I bought beer and Hudson and brought it on slap It's super good. A lot of people think it's overrated. I disagree. I think it's a very good beer.
Speaker 4: One of my top five fears.
Speaker 2: She goes on today.
Speaker 1: Also, I've been playing pickaball for the last five years, and I've played in a tournament and a few fun leagues as well as drop in rec play and oh the men, Sorry men, not to generalize, but I've had to tell a few of them. I appreciate the tips, but I'm here to have fun right now and a lot of times know what I did wrong. I'll let you know when I want advice.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It sounds maybe rude, but that's because I'm a people ploser. I don't know if I talked to about it on here or if it was on I'm still fun. But there was just someone who was kind of helping Andrew and I learn some stuff the other day and.
Speaker 2: Then it's it just, well, you didn't get weird.
Speaker 1: It just turned into like almost a full on lesson and then critiquing everything I did, and then it kind of stopped being so much fun, and like I appreciated the tips, but I yeah, okay. Lastly, you talked about what is considered hooking up. Here's a story that made me literally lool. This is from a few years ago teaching eighth graders. At the end of the school day. They're walking outside and I was walking with a group of them to help carry a student's things anyway, and behind two eighth grade boys, and at that age there is a huge range in maturity.
Speaker 2: While I hear.
Speaker 1: Boy A say to boy B, dude, did you hook up with her? Boy B responds, bro, you know it? Boy A, OMG tell me everything. Boy B, Well, first she let me hold her hand, and then I got to kiss her on the cheek and I literally died laughing, and then realized kids were looking at me and was like, oh sorry, I was thinking about something funny that happened earlier that day. Because we also had a boy in eighth grade who was a father, So of course I was like, OHMG, what is he about to say when he says how they hooked up? Oh my gosh, in eighth grade he was a father.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know people like that.
Speaker 2: What Okay?
Speaker 1: Anyways, thanks all three of you for doing a great job and Bailey, I truly believe on being yourself and love the nerd references, but the Star Wars one made me cringe.
Speaker 2: But she does like your.
Speaker 1: Nerd references, so keep I would say, keep doing them. Thanks, and we are not saying this person's name, so thank you so much.
Speaker 2: For your email.
Speaker 1: Hello peeps, another one, Please don't say my name? Can we talk about the annoyances in life?
Speaker 2: First? Is multi factor authentication?
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 2: Is multi factor and authentication? I say, yes, I know it's for security. Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: My gosh, I already have a complex password that I have to switch every ninety days. Then on top of that, you're adding in the freaking multi factor authentication. It sucks period. We all agree. I agree?
Speaker 2: And also mine changed recently.
Speaker 1: I don't know how your guys has worked with Outlook, but I used to get a code texted to me for the second one. Now I have to do put a code is sent to me where I'm trying to send it log in. Then I have to put it in my phone and it has to do a face recognation.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, like I have to put in my past always.
Speaker 1: Yes, see, mine just changed probably six months ago for that, or maybe even longer.
Speaker 2: But like Fallin and Dave don't have that.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a no.
Speaker 3: I hate to factor authentication, but I keep it like activated obviously for safety, but like I literally just got a new phone yesterday and had to reinstall all of my apps and re log in and doing that is exhausting, truly exhausting. Happened to, like remember all your passwords and do two factor authentication. My mom keeps texting me. She's like, I can't get into anything. I hate this right, Oh, Mam Mornda two yeah, Mam Rana got a new phone too, I know where.
Speaker 1: And then her second annoyance is when there is a cop behind you on the highway.
Speaker 2: Two times.
Speaker 1: That happened to me on a Friday, and I had to drive speed limit home.
Speaker 2: Not fun at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not flying home, but I'm just going a little bit faster than the speed limit. I swear it took me an extra ten minutes to get home. Unnamed person, you might be going a little bit over a few on the speed limit if it took you ten minutes longer to get home all the time, but thank.
Speaker 2: You for your email.
Speaker 1: Let's see This one comes from Mikayla. As I was listening to What Like the Rain, a question came to mind. When Dave retires, are you slash can you play the songs Dave did? That's all all right, Mikayla. Yes, we will definitely be able to still play those songs. Dave will probably not retire before the three of us do, though, so I don't think we'll have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it'll be fine.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at retirement already like I'm really playing.
Speaker 4: Benefits.
Speaker 1: Next email says, good morning, Jenny, Von and Bailey. The other day, when you guys were talking about how Vont sounds different when he talks to a black person, well, my dad also did this, but he is a white guy. For example, if he is talking with one of his neighbors that is black, he will start saying, shoot, man, what the hell have you been up to?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Have you seen that mother effer's rabbit in my garden? And if he talks with one of his white neighbors, he'll say something like, hi, Phil, how are you today? Have you seen the rabbit that was getting in my garden? And every time he did this we called him out on it. He was the most talking, talkative person you would have met, just his I don't know what they were trying to say. He was the most talking person you would have met, just his language changes between the two.
Speaker 4: It's called code switch switching. That's what it's called.
Speaker 5: And it's funny because we off air, we joked about the Key and Peel skit where where fake Obama is like dapping people. He's shaking like the white people in the skits hands and DAPs up the black people. And then you said, this was it actually happened, Jenny, Yeah, like actual Obama.
Speaker 4: There's a video of it with.
Speaker 1: Like basketball players or something, and so he is like dabbing up the black people and then the white people.
Speaker 2: He's like, huh, good dame, good game, good game.
Speaker 3: For you.
Speaker 1: Love that that comes from Nicole. All right, up next, huge fan here, you can say my name. Okay, hold on this says please make sure Dave reads this one. So I'm going to hold off on that one for right now. Okay, let's see. Hey guys, First, I love this team, Bailey. I wanted you on the show since you were filling in. I love you, vont OMG. I love you so much. He is such a she's reading writing it differently.
Speaker 2: He is such a.
Speaker 1: Baby and I love his insights to the show. Love you, vaunt O g Jenny, Thank you for being you, Dave and Team. I love this show so much. It's my motivation in the morning. Just wanted to thank you for being the first thing I put on in the morning and what brings me so much comfort to start my day.
Speaker 2: Love you.
Speaker 1: I definitely would love a sticker PS. The new Tesla monster truck is douchebag seeking attention.
Speaker 2: Ah, there's un parked down my street. I live in a condo. Hoa.
Speaker 1: This guy has a bright purple Tesla douchemobile. I am actually embarrassed for him and for me being his neighbor. Help that comes from jazz hilarious.
Speaker 5: People like they turn us on before they turn on a light.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it's nuts. This show used to be my alarm clock.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, and then my alarm clock stopped working, so it doesn't go to radio anymore.
Speaker 4: It's just the my phone.
Speaker 5: Do that with Alexos. Alexis could be like, hey, hey, Alexa, wake me up with KATIEWB.
Speaker 4: Yeah what ever time? Yeah, that's nuts. Literally, my entire childhood. I woke up to katiewb.
Speaker 1: I love that. Okay, I'm sorry, I'm just like trying to read ahead to some of these emails because we have so many. You're doing great, Okay, we probably just have time for one more and we'll get to the rest tomorrow. Hey, besties, don't say my name. I was catching up on some old Minnesota Goodbye episodes that Found and Jenny were on when Dave was on vacation again. Anyway, Found said she hated her phrase that Jake says to her quite frequently when she's going to be home alone, flicking your bean. Jenny said, Andrew says this too, and you're not a fan of the phrase either.
Speaker 2: This gave me great joy to know.
Speaker 1: That I am not alone in a world where my partner thinks that the second I am alone in the house, I am flicking the bean all over the place. I am accused pretty much daily because I like to take a long shower.
Speaker 2: I am just taking a shower. Promise you.
Speaker 1: I don't think that is showering and something that you hurry up doing. I take my sweet ass time. I always say to him, pop in any time, just showering. It's so annoying. Also, in my defense, if I was diddling the bean, it's done in ten seconds. There's no long shot out process seconds.
Speaker 2: That's it. Well, girls know how to get.
Speaker 4: I mean, not ten seconds, but.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes you probably can. Honestly, if it's been a long enough time, I probably could do it in ten seconds, but you typically, no, not quite that quick. Let's see, Bailey, have you unfortunately been accused of this rubbish?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 3: Asks No, I don't really have anyone to accuse me of it, so no, no one's ever Like Malee, what are you doing when you're home by yourself? The answer is probably snuggling my cat, Yeah, petting my cat, listening to music that I want to listen to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she also asked, moot, do you do this to Alyssa?
Speaker 5: No, but I feel like, literally the past week my family has been here. I we've been late to whatever function we're going to every day, Alyssa and I, and I'm worried that my family thinks that we're late because we're fucking and we're not. Alyssa just tries on thirteen outfits before she finds one piece of one that she wants to wear.
Speaker 2: Ah to be young and fucking all the time. Wait till you guys have lived together long enough you remember that. Well we're not.
Speaker 4: That's saying. It's not even that. She's just changing it.
Speaker 2: No I know, but yeah.
Speaker 1: And she finishes her email saying, thank you Jenny and Found for sharing your stories with us. I am not alone. Have an amazing day. Sorry, this should have been for Naughty Tuesday all.
Speaker 4: The time.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, and that's how we're riding a podcast today. Thank you for all your emails.
Speaker 1: Feel free to send us more at Ryan's show at KDWB dot com