Speaker 1: Uh, casting thing, not about this, just something I've found out today when I was looking up something else on the internet and I was and I was reading about an actor who's related to another actor, and I was like, oh my god, I'll random is that?
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get to it.
Speaker 1: There's not really a good way to segue into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I feel that, all right, Just remind me or I'll try to remind me.
Speaker 1: I'll just probably just bring it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in and off topic fashion exactly. Yeah. You ever watch these Marvel flicks?
Speaker 1: You got good volume? Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you ever watch these Marvel flicks, whether it's the TV shows, the movies whatever, or the special presentation special presentations. With this Punisher thing we're watching today, how much impact do you think we, as the viewers, the Cretans as I oftentimes describe us, have an impact on what ultimately ends up happening, Like when we want to see the X Men brought in, when we want this Punisher thing to be something that it ultimately isn't. Still great, but like how much of it do you think is the ultimate plan? And how much of it do you think is it? Like, well, you know what if all the viewers think we're going this way, why don't we headfake and take it over this way?
Speaker 1: Can't Mr? If I told you this, and I heard this from somebody, it was a producer or a director or somebody they're talking about. It might have been Actually, it might have been Figy. I don't think it was Figy, but it was somebody, somebody prolific in their field. And they said that if you start if the how did this go? If you make movies for the public, or if you give the people what they want see I'm butchering it there. Yeah, it's something to the effect of people don't want to watch what they want because if they did, they just make it themselves for sure. Sure, basically, so you kind of have to to. I mean, I think it's under it's it's nice knowing what the people want, but ultimately, I mean, people have a direction of what they want their art to be. And knowing that you can't please all people all the time, why would you let that creep into you know, your integrity and how you're gonna tell a story. So I think we, as the pleabs, the what did you call us, we have very little impact on what movies get made, what series get made. Ultimately, you know, the showrunner, the screenwriter. I mean, they're gonna do what they're gonna do, and ultimately they're there. I mean you think about spider Man right, where we had Paul spider Man. Yeah, sorry, Phil spider Man. I always, ever since I saw that episode of Friends, I just always say, spider Man, spider Man. You think about what we got in spider Man three, which was No Way Home. Yeah, we were, I mean just craving. Yeah, Toby maguire and Andrew Garfield to share the screen with Tom Holland, right, So eventually they had, you know, they had to give.
Speaker 2: It or what's his name as mister Fantastic in The Doctor Strange Krazinski right, Like, I feel like there are moments where they just scour Channing Tatum as dambits. Like there's moments.
Speaker 1: Although the Channing Tatum with Gambit thing that wasn't like a that was.
Speaker 2: But it's fan appeasement, you know something. But it was going to happen.
Speaker 1: That specific one. I don't think it was because I think he actually was going toe. That was for a while.
Speaker 2: Then Fox twentieth Century Fox went belly up and that kind of was the end of that.
Speaker 1: You know, I spent one night at the bar with my buddy who is also a huge superhero comics fan or whatever, and we went through and we tried to cast the X Men like you know, like the this is when the X Men came out, right, but obviously that didn't include all the X Men. Sure, yeah, And so we were like, okay, who's gonna play Juggernaut? Who's gonna you know, and we're doing like Magnetos and uh, and we got to Gambit and then you know who we settled on. And now, granted this is like early two thousands, Yeah, like Matthew McConaughey would make a great game.
Speaker 2: He would, yeah at that point.
Speaker 1: At that and not anymore. Obviously you're back to ever like, how is McConaughey not playing Gamut? So anyway, Yeah, I mean I think it goes and was the what did the Krasinski thing really affect the plot at all at all? Was that was more appeasement, like you're.
Speaker 2: Now yeah, and then going the opposite direction, Ralph Bohner, who we all thought was going to be.
Speaker 1: Uh, that was just quick silver. That was a troll job. That was rage bait, as my kids would say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found out, and it was us, us waiting and waiting and waiting for Mephisto to show up, and then only for him to show up in like the least Watch the Marvel thing. Ever, was it really not? It's not very was No.
Speaker 1: Did you at what I don't even know. We've talked about this. Did you at what point did you realize that was Mephisto?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did talk about it. It took a while because I wasn't expecting it at all, and so, like, I really didn't put two and two together. I can't remember specifically because to be frank h, iron Heart was very forgettable outside of the Mefisto stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I mean that's a problem in and of itself. And it sounds like I'm gonna say I hate this. I thoroughly enjoyed the Punisher, the last kill. It wasn't what I was expecting in this. I think you had because you are of the two of us, you always come in much more thoroughly prepared than I do in terms.
Speaker 1: Of Sometimes that's a detriment.
Speaker 2: Though I agree, that's like it's an active choice. It's not like I'm being lazy. It's like, I don't want to know any extra details about this before I go and see it, because people are too good at predicting stuff and I don't want to come across that kind of stuff. So, like, I went into yesterday expecting a quasi feature length film focusing on this iteration of the Punisher played by I always say his last name wrong. It's Burenthal Barenthal, Berhall Burnenthal, John Burnenthal, which in my opinion, is the epitome of what the Punisher is. I think he does a phenomenal job, and he did a phenomenal job in this as well. I was expecting it was going to be him escaping from his predicament at the end of Their Devil season one, and kind of like what he was doing during the entirety of Daredevil Born Again season two, where he does not show up once, where they're bringing Jessica Jones in Luke Cage all these other New York City style vigilante heroes, and he didn't show up on street level, and I kind of was expecting to get like a pretty lengthy endeavor, whereas this felt like ten year old Ben picking a random comic out of the comic story, and I kind of like this feel. Again, for the record, it's gonna sound at times like I hated this. I didn't, but he kind of felt like I grabbed a random comic that told a random story. Meanwhile, all the other comics I have are telling me the Infinity War story, and then I just get a story about this happening about this one hero who I like, separate of anything, not impacting the Uber plot in any way, just telling a nice cohesive story in forty five minutes. Maybe it says it's a fifty minute runtime, but that includes intro credits and ultro credit.
Speaker 1: I think it was forty nine. Yeah, like with and I was waiting for the spoiler alert. No no, uh no credits.
Speaker 2: No credits. But like I will say, and this will be quasi spoiler filled. As we said off the air, there's nothing to really spoil, but we're going to talk about the plot in its intimate details because there's basically two facets to this story. There's sad Frank Castle and then there's angry Frank Castle, and that that's basically.
Speaker 1: What we're dealing with. You know, I think Angry Frank Castle had to come out because of the of the plot here. That okay, so let's let's get into it. Yeah, to just just before we do, I want to echo something you said. This The whole thing felt extraneous, Like I got done watching it, I'm like, why did they make this?
Speaker 2: I think, I well, we'll get into why I think they made it, but it doesn't connect to the story at all.
Speaker 1: No, I mean even like before you and I were talking, we didn't even know for sure at what point this in the chronology, we didn't know when it was. Yeah, and we think they know, but I feel like a real world they got now you think you know, but you have no idea or not real world? What was that? Uh? True true? What was it called? Was my diary? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, no, yeah, it wasn't my diary true life.
Speaker 1: Or true true life.
Speaker 2: I can't I know what you like, you unlocked the memory, but I don't remember what the name of it was.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so it felt extraneous because this was basically the story of Frank Castle. Like what was great about it is you didn't need to see Dared Devil Born Again. You didn't need to see The Punisher the television series. Now, and you didn't even really need to know who the Punisher was, because in forty nine minutes they put this together where you understand this is a man who clearly was was former military. I mean that they made that pretty obvious that this his family die, right, and when we found out through oh we have to talk about the sound? Was your sound weird?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, my god, then we have to talk about this. So he he basically is fighting between what do I do with my life now that my family, my whole life is gone. Do I fight back against the people that did this or people like this, you know, do I fight back? Or do I just try to live my own life? He obviously still had PTSD. Then we enter into the second act, which was we were introduced to the antagonist of the story, and then the third act sort of resolved everything. And I feel like the way that this resolved was kind of the way The Punisher season two resolved itself, right sure, you know, and and and nothing really changed in that sense, like it almost seemed like Frank Castle was was going. So the end of The Punisher season one was kind of like I think he said something like, I don't for the first time, I don't have a war to fight or something something to that. To that, and then season two obviously A War finds him again, right, and then this special A War finds him again right, And I wonder if this is just who he is now? Is is no matter if it doesn't really matter if he decides he's going to remove himself from this world of fighting and war and anger and brutality and violence, it doesn't matter if he wants to remove himself or not. He's never going to be able to remove himself from He's always, you know, we always going to be part of it. I think he said something in The Punisher season two, No he didn't, it was who is the guy Jigsaw? In season one? I think he said something before his face got all messed up. He said something like, you know, you fight long enough, These fights always get dirty. It's it's sort of the life we chose. Well, that's Frank Castle kind of in a way chose that life too.
Speaker 2: And this is a theme that.
Speaker 1: Was I don't know where it was going with that, but I just wanted to say, like this to your whole I pulled out a single comic punisher. That's kind of what this was. It was just another chapter in this larger story. You know, yes, but but it wasn't like defining at all. There's nothing there was nothing that changed the story arc. There's nothing that changed.
Speaker 2: Oh see, there was one thing that stuck. I love it very thoroughly.
Speaker 1: I love it here.
Speaker 2: And that's why I said I want to be able to talk spoilers because this is the last scene of the show that I'm about to describe. Not technically relevant to the plot in any way of the show, but the last scene. Nevertheless, he comes out decked out in his punisher gear. Yeah, and in my opinion, and correct me if I'm wrong, because I've seen the show. I loved the show. Haven't seen it in a while, it's been like seven years. Yeah, and I didn't rewatch it or anything like that. For the purposes. What stuck out to me about the ending of this of that this particular special was he comes across a guy act like a jag off yep, and what he's doing is sucks, but it doesn't suck as much as something he did earlier in the show by a country mile and Frank Castle shows up, sees that he's doing something that sucks, is about to kill him and kind of has like a come to Jesus moment. He's like, Okay, what he's doing right here does not deserve death, and he kind of lets him go and he runs away. Then the homeless Man's like, actually, he did a lot more to me than just take my hat, and he's like oh, and then he blows his face off. Yeah, once he realizes what's going on. And to me as the viewer, that says, Okay, we're about to see this grizzled character in a much more kid friendly version of himself in a Spider Man movie, and we are showing you through the purposes of his growth during this forty five minute period, that he is no longer the kill everything everyone all the time immediately in front of me for every infraction, Frank Castle, this is a guy who has come to grips with what he is, knows what his purpose is in life. And if you see it with Spider Man not wantonly killing everybody, that is in line with the new with this version of the Punisher right now.
Speaker 1: And that's a valid point, but I still think you could, as the viewer, you could take it to the opposite and say, ultimately, what's the last thing we see is him wasting this guy. Yes, so you could be you could you could also take from that being that, Okay, maybe there's been some evolving here, but he's still who he is. Yes, because ultimately the last thing we see as the viewer, and that the that the that the screenwriter and the director wanted us to see, was him killing a guy.
Speaker 2: But so that's that's having your cake and eating it too. Then right, we can.
Speaker 1: Watch Spider Man, Well.
Speaker 2: He didn't kill anyone there, and then the next time he kills him when it's like, ah, well, he's still so like he can go a full nine two hour movie and not be the real punisher and you don't feel like you broke character. And then the second you see him in Daredevil's season three and he is just waxing people again, and you're like, well, we we've we've crossed a rubicon here and you know, now people gotta get whacked.
Speaker 1: I I really wish he would, and I hope it was a scheduling thing that he wasn't in season two, because season two of Born Again was more so than season one, was this fight, internal fight that Matt Murdoch had about how he doesn't want to take lives you know, even though he should when when Bullseye is begging him to and he doesn't, when Karen Page is is incredulous that he's not any old.
Speaker 2: Buck and Daniels situation. That's across all those characters exactly. They're struggling.
Speaker 1: And Frank Castle was just like, you know, black and white, no gray area. And we saw that a little bit in season one, right, and I thought season two would have been even better.
Speaker 2: But whatever, Yeah, and he was for the record, this special in no way addresses why he wasn't in season two exactly. And can you remember so is the Nucci family was the scene? So that's like the main antagonist.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you, is it Nucci or Ganucci? Nucci? It is Nucci? Okay?
Speaker 2: Were they the antagonists in either of the seasons, Like we're all those deaths of the show.
Speaker 1: No, I think this is fresh now, it's I believe it's comic lore that Frank Castle hilled these I didn't realize he killed her husband. I thought he just killed the sons. Sure, so so that was new to me. So Maganucci do you know who played Maganucci special? Judith Light? Do you know who Judith Light? Is Judith Light played Angela opposite Tony Danza on Who's the Boss? Oh wow? Yeah, Now I would not have recognized her at all. Uh And then and I knew she was in this playing Maganucci beforehand, so I knew it was her. He does more research than I do. But yeah, if you looked at it, I mean, like there's you can't tell. I mean, knowing that it was her, I could kind of tell, oh, yeah, that's Judith. I obviously super old now, I mean she was in her you know, forties in the eighties when she was on Who's the Boss song.
Speaker 2: And I barely watched that show, So I don't think I ever would have made like, there's no amount of I would.
Speaker 1: I couldn't. I couldn't name one other thing that she's in. Yeah sure, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And so like obviously though, and like full full uh full disclosure here, Like I love the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. I loved the uh what's that dude's name? The Punisher war Zone. I was surprised how much I ended up liking that movie. I actually took me a couple of times. But I'm not gonna claim to be the biggest expert on Punisher Lore. Outside of the movies in the series that were publicized, they went out of their way to make sure you noticed that ma Nucci is still alive in Kicking, which leads me to believe it's not the last time we're going to be coming across her, whether that be in the Spider Man movie or another season of something on this Disney Plus show.
Speaker 1: I would have met. Yeah, I don't know how they're gonna work because in the comics, again, I'm probably as well versed or not as well versed as you are, so both of us are kind of a blind a little bit when it comes to Punisher Cannon. But it's my understanding that she is a super villain from Marvel with her the main she's mainly been the enemy of the Punisher, sure, like that's who who she battles.
Speaker 2: The more it strikes me out, like the Falcones are like always screwing around with Batman like in the background, and it's like, but realistically, Scarecrows the main threat, but like the Falcones are off jerking around somewhere and it's like, all right, I gotta be aware that they're doing stuff. But this is definitely tier six stuff compared to the obvious thing going on here. That's kind of what she strikes me as. But I feel like they really went out of their way. I think she was a very cool character, like the quasi handicapped, bad badass, like like, oh, like, this woman really doesn't have her wits about her, and I can tell that people are still very scared of who she is and what she represents. And she did a great job of kind of conveying that kind of frustration in the back and forth there. When it was called one last Kill, I mean, I think it was pretty clearly supposed to be him, based on the way the plot was going on. But then once she got involved, I'm like, oh, it's her. And then when she didn't vibe, I was like, well, what's all this one last kill?
Speaker 1: Bullshits?
Speaker 2: It seems like we got plenty of kills coming out way here.
Speaker 1: In the comic sma Nucci and I can't remember exactly how it happens. I don't know if it's a bomb or something, but somehow punisher her he either chops them off off or something happens and there's an explosion and she loses both her arms and legs, so she's basically a torso in the comic Spider. And then at the end when he finally kills her, there's like a flaming house or something, and she like crawls out of it, and all she can do is bite him on the leg.
Speaker 2: Because that's what else she gonna do.
Speaker 1: Sure, and he just stares down at her, and he just kicks her body into the fire and she burns alive. That's how that's how Mannucci reaches her end in the Punish Your comic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope they take it there. I don't think they have the guts to do that, but I'm here hoping that that's where this ultimately ends up here.
Speaker 1: But I have to talk about the sound. Oh yeah, hit me with it. This is interesting. I was watching this in my basement on Disney Plus, and my my son sleeps through anything, but my daughter and my wife are both light sleepers. And I kept getting phone calls from my wife, can you turn that down? Can you turn that down? And I couldn't because there was something messed up with the sound on on I don't know it was my TV or what. I don't know how to adjust it because like the loud explosion stuffs were really loud, and then the talking and the dialogue shit very muffled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you didn't pick up on this, so I'll be honest with you now that you're mentioning it, I realized. So after it ended, I just threw something else on Disney Plus on to go to bed too, and it was one of the you know, I, oh, it was X Men Apocalypse.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: I threw X Men Apocalypse on, and I remember I threw it on and then I went to the bathroom to go and brush my teeth, and I had to actually walk out while I was brushing my teeth to turn it down because I was like, man, that is blowing out my ear drums. I was like, was I listening to it that loud?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it didn't register with me the entire time, And maybe I didn't notice what the explosions made my neighbors fricking hate me.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, but I.
Speaker 2: Noticed it after I put literally anything else on. I'm like, man, I really had that volume cranking.
Speaker 1: So I went on X like while this is going on, because I was getting really annoyed, and I'm like, when man Nucci's talking, it's like you can't and like describing, like what happened, you know why she's so mad. I couldn't. I couldn't. I couldn't understand everything. So I went on X and other people were complaining about the sound as well. Interesting, like this was not my TV, this was not my sound setup, this was a Disney Plus thing. And then somebody brought up, oh, maybe this is because of the PTSD that we're brought into sure to open it. Maybe this is all stuff that's kind of permeating Frank Castle's brain but not totally like he's he's in a daze or there's other stuff he's focused on, and maybe that was the case. I found it really annoying. Yeah, but I was super ticked off.
Speaker 2: Oh we we filmed that night Walker battle super Dark, so it felt like you were in the battle. Yeah, okay, great. I would have loved to be able to see what was happening, and this is kind of a similar.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know, I know it wasn't just me, and if this was a decision by the director or whoever. Yeah, I think it was a bad one. Yeah, and I feel like I just I feel like it ruined some of the enjoyment for me, and.
Speaker 2: I found the entire post traumatic stress like I mean, you know me, I like the psychological stuff. And when they were doing the stuff with like the apparitions, and it was like, wait, are you really here?
Speaker 1: Of course I'm here.
Speaker 2: No, it turns out they're not here, and like around and around and around, and I thought it was very well done, and I think they went out of their way. They touched on this in the finale to the first season of Daredevil Born Again. But there's a certain element of people that have latched onto the Punisher that aren't the best people, and they take all the worst parts out of the Punisher character. And I think a lot of Punisher lore much like the exactly what do you mean by that? I mean there are people that are like, yeah, I'm like the Punisher, but like you're supposed to be watching the Punisher, not wanting to be the Punisher. Yeah, Like I always say, with like Rick and Morty, which is a very famous cartoon, the main character Rick is like a very sad, depressed character, and there's a lot of people that watch Rick and Morty being like, yeah, I'm like Rick, there's no system. It's like, no, you don't. You're not supposed to want to be Rick. And I think this movie, or this special, I think did the best job with the Punisher being like, no, just because you're mad about crime or whatever it is, doesn't mean you're the punisher. Like he hates that he's this way, to the point that he doesn't even want to live this way anymore, and saw it. That's what I'm saying, And like that. I think they did a very good job of conveying that in this story, being like, no, if you're walking around with your Punisher logo mad about the homeless population, like, you're not the Punisher, You're just a bit of a jag off, and like, I think trying to really hammer that point home with this. And I think they did a really good job, because there was nothing glamorous about being the Punisher in this from top to bottom up until even the very last second where it looks like he's getting a little bit of a recognition. You can tell he's still not happy in the situation he's in even at that point.
Speaker 1: I think it comes back to I don't you know Peter Parker's whole thing is with great power comes great responsibility, And I think there's a certain and that's why it's gonna be cool to see him and punish her in yeah, in Hulk, not in Hulk, but most of Punisher because Hulk is totally different. But what's the name of the movie, Brand New Day. It's gonna be interesting to see those guys because they have you know, with great power comes great responsibility. And I think Frank Castle, when we saw on this, especially towards the end, where he has he has to make this choice between sort of vengeance and letting life live.
Speaker 2: He chooses life.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. And and so I think that there's a certain sense of, like, you know what, what has happened to him, nobody deserves. But at the same time, I think that he feels given in the same way Peter Parker, like how it happened at the end of No Way Home. He has nobody now, right, Yeah, Frank Castle has nobody.
Speaker 2: And I didn't even put that together, but that's definitely gonna thematically try into the movie. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: And I mean, I'm I'm sure they don't have each other. I don't think they look at each other like that. No, absolutely, I think they look at like look I've I've clearly somebody has put me into this place and given me this life, and I'm supposed to do something with it. I can't just sit because neither one of them is the type that would sit idly by and feel sorry for themselves. You know. It's either it's either I'm going to do as much good as I can, or I'm going to end it, you know. And that was the decision Frank Castle had to make too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a theme they've revisited or visited in The Thomas Jane Punisher as well. That's what happens after he killed John Travolta. He's like, well, why else do why am I here? And then he just like in the show, he remembers Rebecca Rene Stamos and those two dweebs that are his neighbors, and like the fond memory. She's like, ah, you know what, And in this one he manages he can't save his own family, but he can save other families and that's kind of the growth that he has there. And it's like, I can't imagine, and like, that's gonna be such a strange I never put that together, But thematically they really are in the exact same place, which makes so much sense.
Speaker 1: There's been and none are coming to my head right now, But there's been a lot of people superheroes that are like everything everybody I get close to or everybody I touch, bad stuff happens. Yeah, which is you know, a reason why you wear the mask, right, so to protect those people or whatever. But I mean, there is no character at least that I can think of. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe you'll call me out on this. Yeah, there's no character that I can think of. It's specifically in the MCU, maybe in comics overall that has had such an intense mental such intense mental anguish that Frank Castle did. Right now, I think that you know, he comes up up and he he basically is like a hitman, right, yeah, kind of that he comes up so obviously there's there's some desensiti desensitization there when it comes to that. But to have your family brutally murdered, right, and then how does that affect you? Like, I can't imagine how that would affect me. I think about Clyde whatever his name was from law abiding citizen mm hm, dude was awesome. He was a great guy. And then all of a sudden he turned into the psychopath that you know, and and Frank Castle, I just I think he views human life in a much different vein now. And I think that that battle that he fights still, I mean, it never stops in his head. And I think that's what was so great about the special was how much they drove that home that that not only should you not want to be the Punisher, you don't understand how the punisher does just continues. How can how can one human being take on all this much, create this much violence, create this much brutality, and then still keep still keep going at some point that that thing has to turn off you just you can't be like that, right, And somehow he is, and he has been for quite a while. But it's not.
Speaker 2: Easy, absolutely not. And I think the reason it feels so fresh and unique because what you're describing is not unique to comics. But I'll tell you the other characters that go through exactly what you're describing. Thor goes through that, Dad dies, mom dies, had to kill his sister, brother dies, best friend dies, half the world gets snapped out of existence. Wolverine goes through that Jane Jane dies, Yes, exactly Wolverine goes through that had to kill Jean Gray.
Speaker 1: By the way, just just real quick, Yeah, Loki died twice.
Speaker 2: Technically three times technically Wolverine, Wolverine, though he has to kill Jean Gray, he watches Charles Xavier die. By the end of Logan, everybody's gone. Superman, you, you, all of these characters. The reason you have to do it this way is because the characters themselves can't feel pain. Wolverine always thors a demigod. Superman is basically a god on earth. The Punisher feels unique because it's basically like, we're gonna take this regular guy that we could kill at any moment, and actually he's going to keep living for no reason other than he's going to keep living nothing to do with the plot, and we're still going to take everything else away from him. And there's a human element because they do that to the non human characters to humanize them. When you do it to an already human character, it's basically like, let's do Batman instead of killing his parents, kill his whole family. And also he doesn't have a whole bunch of money, and then we're gonna turn that into a show here and I think that's why it feels so fresh, is it takes a bunch of stuff that we've seen done a thousand times over in comics, but brings it down to the most human, base level emotion that I think you can possibly feel, because none of us know how we would react in that situation, and more importantly, none of us have the punisher's skills. So even if you wanted to be a punisher, you probably you couldn't be what was his name in law Biden, citizen Claus, what's his face hide something? I can't remember his last name, but like he for ten years put his super military brain into concocting this perfect scheme in order to do what he needed to do. Most of us don't have those genes, or at least we don't realize we do until we're pushed into that corner. And that's that's what the Punisher is here. He never comes out of this, and this is no different. He's always been shot four times by the time I remember in the show, every episode, it's like he caught three more bullets over the course of that moment, and he just keeps on going.
Speaker 1: It's like the.
Speaker 2: Realistically, it's a weird comparison to make. But he's like Jigsaw, not the villain Jigsaw from fucking Saw yea. Like when he got diagnosed with cancer, he drove his car off a cliff to kill himself, and he pulls himself out of the wreckage. He's got a giant piece of metal sticking out of his abdomen, and he found the desire to live. And in this special Yesterday, he goes from having the gun in his mouth to like, I'm gonna kill sixty people to make sure I don't die. And he went from I'm about to do it myself to cold day in hell, I'm gonna let you do this for me, and you kind of watch it happen over this fan of forty minutes, which is basically the how Jigsaw was created.
Speaker 1: What I love it? What do you think because I never really I mean, I know the moment where he starts fighting back, What do you think that was? What do you think ultimately drove him to be like I'm I'm gonna not only I'm gonna keep going, I'm going to unleash hell on these people.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's petty enough, but to me and the dialogue, what stuck out. Was the last thing ma Nucci says to him is when you breathe your last breath. No, it was the Nucciese that sent you there. And in my mind, I'm like, is he sitting there thinking like if I'm gonna die, it's gonna because yeah, and that was how I read that, And so right there he was like, well, no you won't. Good luck and help out those villains. By the way, it just felt like, I don't know, I kind of liked it, but it just kind of felt like normal people.
Speaker 1: They are normal people. I mean, they're they're they're from a crime family obviously, and I got the I got the feeling that they they were losing their power already when he started.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I agree with you, and all these people just kind of felt like, like normally in these kind of movies, like even the Henchmen have like a general evilness vibe to them, whereas this it just felt like I normally drive a truck, but I also a'm affiliated with the mob, and now I have a knife and I'm gonna kill the punch of Like it didn't feel like a villain. It just felt like normal dudes living in an apartment complex. Yeah. It was very reminiscent of the the Carl Urban Dread Redo, just like you're in a complex, like good luck getting out, and like one mob boss is sending everybody after you. And that was the whole second half of this movie, and it delivered, delivered in spades. I was into it the entire time.
Speaker 1: I was too into it because all of a sudden, like as he's I think that final shot is a shot of I think we're looking up at him mm hmm. Yeah, and I was like, oh god, no, no, no, yeah, and then it ended. You know, I was like, I was really and it was I don't know, dude, it kind of I wish this would have been a feature length film.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think there is more story to tell. They they did what they could in forty nine minutes. It got the job done. Initially I was I was really ticked off. Yeah I was. I was super upset at what. I'm like, that's it. Really.
Speaker 2: There was too much hype for it.
Speaker 1: Maybe too, but I mean we always knew it was gonna be fifty minutes, like we always like, I didn't oh, I mean it was yeah, we talked about this. I said, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Said it's not a movie, but I'm like, oh, okay, so it'll be like an hour and ten minutes, Like it won't be because even like episodes of Daredevil are over an hour, like this is. This was such a like I'm like, man, you've been advertising this for a year and a half, creating all this buzz about it, and like it really doesn't answer anything like you highlighted. It's just like it exists, and it exists in a nice way. It was a good story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fine. It was a fine story.
Speaker 2: Much like I know, I should have looked it up. I meant to look it up. It's just like the black and white thing that Marvel did, like I always.
Speaker 1: Saw the weird thing. Yeah, this was the third one. The first one they did was that monster thing with I don't know, I can't remember that Gabriel Garcia. What's his name? I have no idea, Gabriel Gail Garcia or something. I can't remember what his name was. He was the star of that. Yeah, and who's who's the star? I didn't look up the cast. Oh well he was the main guy obviously. The you know, as all these monster hunters are convening in.
Speaker 2: Gail Garcia Bernal.
Speaker 1: Okay there, Jack Russell Bernal, I think yeah. So anyway, that was the first one, you know what. The second one was Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. Oh. I didn't watch it. It came out four years ago.
Speaker 2: I did watch it, and it actually had a lot more production value than I was expecting to be frank, And.
Speaker 1: You know what was great about that. The big reveal I think that we got in it was that we found out that Mantis and star Lord our brother and sister.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they mentioned that there's an Offhan mentioned in Guardians three, right, that kind of like pays off on that a little bit, which is not which is if you watched it, you knew, right exactly. But yeah, and all of these are inoffensive. But you know what, I didn't rewatch either of those, and I'm probably not going to rewatch this either, just because it came, it went. It was entertaining, and maybe that says something about the connectivity of Marvel and what it does to our brains when it doesn't connect. But uh uh, I mean the Batman is going to be fighting an uphill battle, as James Gunn says, yeah, this is actually separate of the DCU, but we're still going to keep this Batman Reeves universe going. They're entertaining movies. But if there's a whole separate Batman thing actually connected to the overarching plot, all of a sudden, you're gonna have, like, I don't know, like these these connected universes, they definitely diminish when you want to go outside of the wheelhouse, which is exactly what comics always did. Like comics would have the main arching thread and they'd have all these comics that come out, but they'd be like, ohso here's like this this random shit as well, just like in case you just want a one off and not be a like be consumed by all of us. And DC was actually much more notorious for that in the comic book world than Marvel was. Like here's Batman the killing joke, and this has this isn't connected to anything, and once it's over, it has nothing to do with anything, and just enjoy this.
Speaker 1: Story for what it is. So is James Gun going to have a separate Batman though? Yeah, Wow, that won't be confusing.
Speaker 2: At all, I'm saying, And like you and I are into this, Like I'm sitting there trying to explain it to my dad. I'm like, this is gonna be where you check out, isn't it? Like this is this is gonna be where we've hit a limit where it doesn't even matter.
Speaker 1: I did see just real quick. Yeah, the Batman is now Batman Part two or the Batman two, whatever they're calling it. It's not gonna come out till next year. Makes it the longest between any Batman sequel. That's actually crazy when you think about it, because you think about how long we waited for Dark Knight Rises after Dark Knight. Yeah, that was a long time. This is going to be longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not or I was even thinking from Mister Freeze Batman to Batman Begins feels like a long one.
Speaker 1: Well, but that that was that was longer. But I'm saying like the connected like because because Batman Begins was not a sequel chair to but what was that called Batman and Robin. Yeah, I'm saying like in the same whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 2: You know, there was supposed to be a fifth one, but Batman and Robin did so poorly they scrapped it, and scaret Crow is going to be the bad guy and he was going to make all the villains were gonna come back visions and like Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito and all these guys, and Batman was going to be fighting all of his cast I don't think. I think Batman and Robin was such a dumpster fire. They were like, you know what, people hate this superhero stuff. Let's just move on.
Speaker 1: So the first one, first two were.
Speaker 2: Keaton, yeah, and more importantly Tim Burton, and then they got rid of Burton, went Schumacher and then and.
Speaker 1: Then the third one was Val Kilmo yeah, which.
Speaker 2: I have a soft spot for for Jim Carrey, and then you know, kind of goes off the I thought he did great. I stand bye. He's the best Riddler still. I mean, who else was there? I mean there was Paul Paul Dan Compared was like, oh he killed it. I'm like, honestly, I think Jim Carrey did. I like the Jim Carrey version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too. There is there is more of a I don't know. I don't think Ridler was his Riddler was so dark, and I mean everything was dark in that yeah, in that Batman movie. But like, I think Riddler from the comics was a little touched a lot touched in the head, and that's how Jim Carrey played it, you know, Yeah, and so I don't. I just thought that was true. It's more cartoony, but I think it's more true to Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was comic bookie, And I mean Jill Schumacher very famously would go around set saying, remember, we're filming a live action cartoon. He kept saying that all the time because the first the studio was so mad after Batman returns there like, we cannot sell toys for any of this shit? What were you thinking making the penguin what he was? You're out of here? And like they went out of their way to really ham up the colorfulness of the third and fourth one, in my opinion, to its detriment. But uh yeah, what does that say about how I grew up?
Speaker 1: I suppose? And then what happens like every everything after that becomes dirty and grimy in DC. Oh yeah, for all the stuff that came out out, yeah, well I should say everything, but most of it really funny.
Speaker 2: Last aside, and then we can stop talking about Batman. Have you seen the picture of the Trivial Pursuit question card that went viral? Because it's asking which one of these actors did not play Batman? Okay, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale or Ben Affleck all of them play. And you're sitting there and you're like, what kind of TYPEO is this? And it came out in twenty thirteen, the card dish.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how weird is that? That is wild? Yeah? Right, that's not ai. That's not something that a leit viral.
Speaker 2: And I'm sitting there and I'm like what Because I didn't read the comments, I'm like, what's this bullshit? I'm like, all these people like, you're not You're not making me second guess myself. Then like all of a sudden, I'm reading comments are like they need to make a new one and have it say Robert Pattinson. I'm like, I still don't get it. He's also Batman. Yeah, and uh and now and now and then I've put it together there.
Speaker 1: But I just thought that was very that is that is wild?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: What was I going to say now about? Oh? I think I think he was on Fallon or Conan. I can't remember when Affleck got officially cast and became public that he was going to be playing Batman, and the Affleck or whoever the host was a little late night just said to him, well, did they give you any advice after you know this, after everybody knows they're gonna be the new Batman or whatever. Affleck kind of just shook his head and he looked down and he said, well, they just told me to stay off the internet for a few days. Ever good. You know, honestly, is there one person out there that, like everybody would just oh, this is a perfect choice for Batman. There's not one person because no matter who they cast for Batman, people are gonna have an issue with.
Speaker 2: Not yet, not only will they have an issue like it is not only is it no one perfect, but every Batman casting has always been an issue. And outside of George and Val Kilmer, there's newspaper articles you can find them from the eighties and it's like, really, the guy that played mister Mom is going to be Batman? Yeah, and like yeah, not only he's gonna be Batman, he's gonna be fucking kill it. Yeah, we're kidding here, and just down the list all the way to oh are you kidding me? The guy that was in Twilight is going to be Batman. Yeah, that's really what we're gonna do, right, man a Fleck, Yeah, is going to be bad.
Speaker 1: Now. I don't think a whole lot of people ripped the Christian Bale one.
Speaker 2: I think people were just starved for a new Batman at that point because the last one. I don't think anyone had any expectations. He kind of revitalized what I think people were expecting.
Speaker 1: And you know, the other thing too, is like I don't I mean, yeah, he was Batman in that movie, but so much of that movie he wasn't really Batman. He was he was mostly Bruce Wayne, which is I think is a little bit different way to do it.
Speaker 2: And hot take. I think he's the worst actual Batman right. That Batman voice was stupid. It's very iconic. Yeah, like we all mock it, and like I still randomly will just anytime someone says, what's the difference, I always will just immediately we're hockey pat. Yeah, that was like immediately, like that's just where I go to. But like it's it's dumb. And I think Ben Affleck, who takes the most crap for being Batman, was actually a very good one. I think it gave us some of the best action sequences, and I think he was a tremendous Bruce Wayne and I would like to give Ben Affleck his his his roses here. Yeah, because they canceled that far too soon, and I feel back because I think he took it seriously. And as an almost forty year old man, I'm at the point where I want my grown ass people playing comic book Cara heroes to make me think they care about the character. Yeah, and I think after like that, Henry Cavill does that in space, like he genuinely is like, no, I'm super into this.
Speaker 1: Okay, but but didn't you I mean, wasn't the case. I mean it's not like they canceled it. I mean there was already cracks in the Like Ray Fisher had a big issue with I came out, was it Snyder or whoever it was. He had a big issue with DC and so, and that was well before they had canceled it, Like there was something, there was something going on with the production company and him. I feel like Henry Cavell had an issue too.
Speaker 2: All Right, We're going down this rabbit hole and I'm glad we're here.
Speaker 1: So so I feel like the cracks were already, like if they were to continue this, I don't even know if those two actors were to come back. And oh and then Ezra Yeah yeah, Ezra Miller was an issue. Oh my god, you know, and they couldn't they couldn't bring him back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although they made that flash movie after the fact, like they already knew that everything, like, no, let's uh, let's keep this.
Speaker 1: It wasn't it already a lot of it already filmed at that point. I don't know. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I feel like Covid aft with that quite a bit.
Speaker 1: But but then the Lobo thing never came out until after it had Yeah, okay, so they still had Mama. I will totally what it's still done. Oh my god, where was she going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say I think the entire DCU was just snake bitten. I think it's ridiculous that they canceled it. I am not anti. There's a lot of people online that are very pro you can either be James Gunn or Zack Snyder, Like no, you can absolutely like both of their visions, And that is where I file myself into. I thought what Zack Snyder was doing. I'll be honest, and some of you listening might scoff at this. I think he was creating superhero movies for smart people in a country that doesn't have a lot of them. Snyder, Yes, okay, I think Batman v. Superman is a horribly underrated film. Yeah, it has some very random moments in it that don't make a lot of sense. I didn't know that there's moments, but like, realistically, dude, like watch that and then watch Civil War, which came out the same year, and it is the same movie. Like, it really is the same movie, only instead of realizing that your parents have the same name, you realize you're freaking your other best friend killed. And it's the same inflection point. There's a scene where they blow up the halls of Congress like someone ran it side by side, and like, you guys aren't going to want to hear this, but it's basically the exact same movie, but the way.
Speaker 1: That Civil War was more star.
Speaker 2: Studded, exactly, and Zack Snyder presented it in a way that expected the audience to be smarter. Like, me, as a massive Batman fan, is like, why is Batman branding freaking villains that he's putting in jail, or like when the Flash kind of appears as as a time warp through a portal and he's like, you gotta stop.
Speaker 1: Did they ever pay that off?
Speaker 2: No, because we killed the freaking youth.
Speaker 1: So do we know what it was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure in a future Justice League movie they were gonna do some time travel stuff and then he was going to appear in that movie and all these plebeians would be like, Oh, I get it now.
Speaker 1: But a lot of he's referring to though, where he's like, she's the key was that.
Speaker 2: Lois laying and Superman was obviously off the rails again and they were gonna kind of do all this. He had the James Todd Joker storyline in there, with the hahaha jokes on you, like all of these things, And if you're looking at there, you don't know who Jason Todd is. You don't know that the Flash can time travel. You don't know any of these things, Like what are all these random scenes in a movie with Batman and Superman and one of these and like, I think it it squashed under its own weight, and I'm I'm very upset. We'll never know what Zack Snyder's.
Speaker 1: Over was leto the Joker in that. Yeah, okay, so what was the scene where they're running and hiding from Superman? It was like the dystopian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well in the in the extra long in the Snyder.
Speaker 1: Cut Snyder of the Justice League.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and they were gonna put that in there, and they probably would have confused audiences more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a cool scene.
Speaker 2: Like, that was such a cool scene. Batman's dropping f bombs. Like there's a lot to like in that there, And like, I I think we Americans just absolutely squashed the DCU. I think James Gunn will do fine. I think it could be even better than what Zack Snyder had out there. But it'll be brighter that I can tell you. Yeah, it'll be cheekier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we already see like this, this Superman cracks wise much more so than Henry Cable. Oh.
Speaker 2: There were times where I felt like I was just watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Really not even the worst thing to feel.
Speaker 1: You know. You know what I like too about gun is he's he's kind of he's not a master, but he's so good at bringing these like not minority characters that's not what I want to be. Lesser, no, lesser known. Yeah, and like I mean, who's who's the one guy in Superman.
Speaker 2: Mister terrific, Mister terrific?
Speaker 1: Never heard of him, you know, and he's and he's like this hugely powerful guy, which is great. Liner. We were talking about this the other day when when Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be coming out and and everybody's like, this is going to fail. You clearly have jumped the shark, Marvel. You have bitten off more than you can chew a tree, a woman talking raccoon, give me a break, and they made three of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, he does. I'm absolutely here for it. But I mean, we that was a bit of a DC tangent here. I'm just starving. I actually read so well, we will you know what. I'll bring that up at the end of the conversation because it ties into the next movie that we're going to see. But I am starved for superhero content, and that's why I was excited to break this down for you. And what's funny is we are two minutes away from eclipsing the runtime of the actual show itself. You made that joke left.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that this could be the podcast could be longer than the actual art.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I mean, I'll be real with you, man, what else have we not said about what happened? There's twenty minutes offc twenty minutes of raw violence.
Speaker 1: I mean to encapsulate it. This is just like I said earlier, this is just simply another child. It's a longer chapter. But in the Punisher story, it hit. It plays all the hits. It plays all the hits, and you don't need to see it. I'm assuming you know, yeah, brand new day. I'm clearly I don't think anything happened in here that is going to catch Daredevil or Jessica Jones or any of those people off guard. And oh you mean Frank Castle went nuts and he killed sixty people. Yeah, I had no idea that he was capable of. You know, So he'll seamlessly drop back into Daredevil season three. If do we know he is he going to be in that.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming so, but we don't know that. I'm hopeful he's not a casualty of this big reset at the end of twenty seven, Like I could use four more seasons of John Burnenthal as the Punisher. Yeah, like a lot of these guys. Like I was thinking about it when I watched the finale of Daredevil, And as much as I love the series and I think Donofrio is a wonderful Kingpin, I'm like, I feel like we've gone as far as we can go here. I mean, I know he's going to be in the in the next season here, but I feel like that's going to be the end of it for him, and I think that's good. I'm like, I've got my fill of this. I don't need to see a bunch more of this Burnhal. I feel like we're gonna lose way too soon if we don't get a couple more seasons of that show out of him.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they're going to do in season three. I think it's pretty clear Fisk is going to be the antagonisty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely and absolutely.
Speaker 1: We have seen him in Echo. Well, you know, did you watch Act I didn't watch e Go No, sorry, Yeah, we have seen him rise up in Echo. We have seen him rise up even further and see Wanta born again to where he's at the pinnacle in season two. Now he's falling. We have to you know, a guy a super he is a super villain, like a guy like that. You have to see him get back up and then rise to power again.
Speaker 2: Ah but you see, I feel like if he comes back, it'll be like, uh, what's a what's a what's a good example of this? It'll be like in the Transformers movies, or like in the first one, they were like freaking, what's.
Speaker 1: The main bad one? Megatron?
Speaker 2: Like pretty threatening, huhh, and then they kill him, so like they're not gonna make you fight Megatron again. It's like we're gonna bring Megatron back, but also Megatron's actually scared of the fallen Yeah, and like that is who they're actually going to have to do. You think there's gonna be a bigger but I think he will like try and merge with someone else, but that's something else will turn out to be too powerful, even for Kingpin, and then that will ultimately end up or he merges like he he comes together with somebody and just uses him to get back. But even we saw that. So I just recently rewatched all Daredevil because yeah, and like we saw that with the the emergence of Bulls Eye, Like I don't know how much you remember season three of dar Devil, But that's basically he plays his little gamesmanship. He emotionally manipulates Bullseye, he puts himself in the place of his therapist, helps him get to where he needs to go, and then ultimately discards him. But like you really don't realize between Daredevil and Daredevil Born Again, the two of them have physically fought King Ben and Daredevil like no less than five times, and like it's getting to the point now where it's like you can't beat him physically, you can't beat their devil, So like, what's what's your endgame? It seems to me like the next logical step is bite off more than you can chew and be like, what's some kind of almost metaphysical bad guy like the hand almost like let's find immortal stuff, Let's find something beyond just normal person, because I can't beat these guys and that might ultimately be his downfall. But I really feel like we're hitting a point where it's getting redundant with that week.
Speaker 1: Have we heard any casting info about Matt Murdoch being in Brand New Day? No? Okay, But as I've stated in that scene in the trailer, yeah, I know. So if he does appear there, right, maybe season three of Born Again takes off from where Brand New Day ended, and I don't know, I don't know where you go, like, you know, because he's in prison. Yeah, so obviously he'd have to get out of prison to be in Brand New Day, right, No, dude.
Speaker 2: I would watch eight seasons of there. There's actually a Green Green Arrow storyline that's exactly that he gets put in prison, and it was an entire, entire comic arc because all the people he put in prison are in prison, and now he's also in prison, and they're like, Oh, I've got a bone to pick with you, Like if you told me the first four of eight episodes are Daredevil in jail, like keeping the Anti Vigilanti task Force and dealing with other villains that he messed with. Maybe off camera, I'd absolutely be I would absolutely be here for that story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would check it out. But my point is Brand New Day comes out, Yeah, and he's in prison right now, So I Spider Man clearly doesn't have the power to break him out, or does he. No, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: You know what, then maybe he won't be you know, you might have just logiced your way into me thinking he's not going to be in Brand New Day.
Speaker 1: But the other aspect of that, you could still be right about that trailer where I mean Hult could be there, or you know, whoever could be there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, someone's there, Frank Castle, Someone's there, whoever may be Hopefully there's other cameos that we don't know about.
Speaker 1: But Spider Spider Pig John Malaney from Its Yeah Spider.
Speaker 2: We'll have to check too, because like, obviously that movie will supersede anything else coming that week. But I have the worst kind of feeling that that and The New Evil Dead are coming out the same weekend, and oh is that going to piss me off?
Speaker 1: That's going to piss me off? The the setup for this Brand New Day, I thought the Punisher would one last kill, would set the table for it, and it just seems we got a very serious, tormented dark Punisher, whereas the stuff we've seen in the trailer for Brand New Day, Yeah, is he's annoyed with this kid and very talkative and you know what I mean, Yeah, it's it seems like two different Punishers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: I love those conflicts of style when they would kind of marry them together, So I'm I'm excited to see where it kind of goes from there because they've already kind of played with this relationship with Daredevil that Dar Devil's like the catholic that would never murder punishers, the guy that's like, actually I'll murder right now. Try me, Yeah, and like will he bring him over. I don't think they're gonna visit that with Spider Man. I don't think it's going to be a question of is Spider Man gonna become the punisher, Whereas they can kind of play with that with Dar Devil. I think they're gonna kind of Wolverine and Dead pull its and just like kind of put two very stark delivery styles and it will be enjoyable.
Speaker 1: The other not that this is a pushback, but you know, we have to consider this sort of metamorphosis that he's undergoing in this and maybe it'll be a mental one as well as a physical.
Speaker 2: Right and the Spider the Man Spider version of him might want to kill people more than the Spider Man version of him, which I'm sure will be part of it. Yeah, we're predicting these themes that are absolutely going to be the three threads like this is nice, this feels good.
Speaker 1: This is it's going to be fun when that comes out, and we got to wait till July. Yeah. Yeah, so we're still like two months away. That's probably less than two months now, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, roughly almost exactly two months. I feel like it's like July twelfth, and we're currently at May thirteenth, so I feel like we're exactly two months away. And that brings me to let's review, because I do one. I'm at a seven, yeah, six and a half. Yeah, so I definitely enjoyed it. Yeah, it was fine.
Speaker 1: I immediately after I was like, well, this is a three, and then I started thinking about it more. Yeah, and like, okay, why would I give it a three? And I'm like, you know, I can't because what it was.
Speaker 2: I definitely didn't hate watching I was just pissed there wasn't more of it, which is typically a good sign for things, but and I think part of the problem is bulky. This kind of ties into it. This is the longest stretch since the MCU was created without an MCU movie.
Speaker 1: Really is what we're dealing with right now.
Speaker 2: Last Fantastic four till July.
Speaker 1: Maybe Holy cows almost a full year.
Speaker 2: Right, think about it, we've been doing we we reviewed Fantastic Four for this trailer, and we haven't done a comic book anything. This is the most recent comic book thing we've done since then.
Speaker 1: So so, but I would say the difference is you're having all these television shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, and that helps me a little. But I I the reason I bring that up is because do you know what's duking it out for number one in the box office? In an erics I saw a friend of mine post be like you know, in the longest stretch without MC without comic book movies, because realistically DC is not really pumped like I think the last thing we've seen is Superman, right, so Fantastic Force actually closer than Superman was. So we are in complete withdrawal from how it has been with between three and five movies across both studios being produced every single year. They were like without without comic book movies, duking it out. It's really interesting to see what makes it to the top of the list here. As we are currently recording this, the two movies that are fighting it out is next week's version of Off Topics, The Mortal Kombat sequel is duking it out with obviously high up on both of our lists as well. The Devilwar's Product two going back and forth here, which are just two such distinct I kind of love that that they should have had two.
Speaker 1: Movies at the time. They should have called it the Devilwaar's Product too, colon Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly. It's like what was the Barbenheimer? Like Barbheimer one of those kind of things going on right now with these two movies. I actually got a text from a friend of mine who hates big budget action and always talks shit on superhero movies to me. He's like, I get you love them, It's just not for me. He's like, I've watched plenty of them. I hate how into it everybody is, he texted me, and I want to pull this out because I really want to paint a picture.
Speaker 1: He even asked me.
Speaker 2: He was like, did you use to play the Mortal Kombat and what did you think of the first one? Is what he texted me because he was going to see with his wife. I said, Smash Brothers is the only fighting game I ever played consistently, and I thought the first one was fine, it was on par with the nineteen ninety seven Mortal Kombat movie in my opinion.
Speaker 1: To which he was did they only make one back?
Speaker 2: Then they made a second Annihilation? But that's so yeah, that's right, that's lation that's available on HBO.
Speaker 1: Check it out.
Speaker 2: But then he went on say, yeah, I never really played the games. I'd say that I just watched the best video game movie I've ever experienced, okay, coming out of Mortal Kombat two.
Speaker 1: And this is the fourth Mortal Kombat movie, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, there's some off brand stuff. There was a TV show featuring sub Zero which I never saw, but it was very, very very low budget. Okay, so it wasn't something that I was interesting.
Speaker 1: So how long was it between Annihilation and then the first you know, Mortal Kombats? Oh? God, twenty five years? Okay, so it was twenty five years later they came out with this. When did the first mort like the third movie come out? How long have we been waiting for this? Equal?
Speaker 2: And now I'm lost? What third movie?
Speaker 1: Okay? Oh that I have no idea. So the third movie which was which was Mortal Kombat? No, no, no, no, no, okay, no, we're not talking last you. Okay, there is Mortal Kombat that came out in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ok The second one came out like a year later.
Speaker 1: Annihilation came out a year later. From Annihilation to the next Mortal Kombat movie, which was just called Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, how long was That's what I was saying, was close to twenty twenty five years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so then that movie comes out. Now we have Mortal Kombat too. See his last two movies. What was the gap between them? I think five years? Five years?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think it came out in twenty one during the law and I thought.
Speaker 1: I thought that the third one got this to be so confusing. We'll talk about this next week. The third one was awesome. Yeah, I enjoy Oh god, it's so rewatchable.
Speaker 2: It's I've watched it plenty of times. I thought, I wish and this is like a common critique of mine, I wish it got a little darker at times, like when sub Zero you think kills Jackson the first one and like almost like dismissively pushes him off the building and you watch him fallow in his face like four more times on his way off the thing. I was like, Oh, this movie is gonna be great, and then other times it got a little hokey, and I was like, ah, I wish you could really capture that that one moment over and over again, like I wanted to feel like, not only am I killing you, but I'm being disrespectful when I'm doing that kind of stuff, which.
Speaker 1: Was kind of like the game, you know, Like I mean I didn't play the game a whole lot when I was growing up, but it was kind of like that where it was like finish him, you know where, like and we saw that in the movies too, where it was and you remember, I mean this is I mean, how old were you in ninety seven ten? So there is a big thing going around before this movie came out when the game was.
Speaker 2: Oh trust me, I remember, like because I was the house people went to to play it, right, because.
Speaker 1: Your mom let you do whatever you want. As long as he didn't have nightmares, you were fine. Yeah. But yeah, like that was a huge especially me in a in a Christian grade school, like oh my god, you couldn't even say Mortal Kombat. It felt like raising like oh my god.
Speaker 2: And it's so funny because you go back and look at those Sega Genesis era graphics and like, what would happen? And then you watch Mortal Kombat eleven, which is the most contemporary version, and you watch what the fatalities are now, and then you go back to what was in the news in ninety one and you're just like, man, like, people really were just starved for anything. Right now, I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is what once nine to eleven hit? Yeah, everything changed. Not that I'm I want to make light of this, Okay, I'm not making light of it, but I will say this. You know when.
Speaker 2: Something Batman grittier again was after.
Speaker 1: Night I don't want to make I don't I don't want to make that point, but but I will say this, like, sometimes people just need something to talk about. And sometimes you know this from politics or whatever, the straw Man argument and everything, and and sometimes I think like, like, okay, I need to do something. I need we need to talk about something. I'm a politician, I'm a talk show producer, I'm in the media. We need to find something to create panic and fear, right right, And then nine to eleven hit, and it's like, Okay, are we really going to talk about how dangerous video games are now right, Like it's exactly, oh you're.
Speaker 2: Not lyrics in music video and other graphics. There was a lot of stuff to make it look like you were doing something to me. I think there was a kid in an arcade that got his ass whopped six times in a row. At Mortal Kombat went and told Autumn and like some strict mother was like what were you played? And it was like, oh my god, I need to call all the news companies and tell them that this is a thing. And then it becomes a national story and here we are. But Mortal Kombat was born from it, and uh, I will tell you, And you're gonna think I'm being facetious when I say this. The Mortal Kombat lore is more complex than Game of Thrones, Like, wow, really you you watch the game and it's just like a yellow dude and a blue dude punching the crap out of each other, and then like there will be the in between fight storyline that oftentimes are just big text paragraphs and there's like alternate dimensions and this this ten tournament battle and we're in the middle. Like so they touch on some of that in some of the movies, and like, I hope they really just like lean into it and they get super complex and they're just like, yeah, and then all this is going to happen. And of course what's his name, what's Johnny Cage's name, Carl Urban.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love him and anything he's in. So I'm excited to see you. You made the comment he's in his fifties. He's being Johnny Cage. That's an interesting, well decision. You know, we'll see what happened.
Speaker 1: I just I just I think, like you know, I'm almost fifty now, and I remember when that used to be old to me. Yeah, and now I'm just I see people in their fifties. And I mean Idris elba is in the he Man movie coming out. Yeah, I mean, how old is that guy? O.
Speaker 2: He's definitely up there.
Speaker 1: Denzel Washington is not that far removed from doing Equalizer, and I think he's in his seventies.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. But like Johnny Cage is always such like a smart ass, like you know, he's specially want to be like a little young, little too confident, Like I'm I'm pushing forty and I'm kind of hitting the point where I'm like, all right, dude, you're not that.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they'll play into that in the movie too, like like he's sort of like this washed up actor, but he's still liking kick ass. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is is at the end of the first the third one, first one, what however you want to call it Mortal Kombat twenty twenty one. Yeah, that's so let's refer to that Johnny Cage is like a young Asian dude because the cast is primarily Asian, and they're just gonna ignore that.
Speaker 1: Well, no, because in the very end of twenty twenty one, yeah, he whatever his name was the main guy who got the you know, the suit and the armor doesn't narrow, it don't at all. I know, you know the UFC fighter. Yeah, he's going he's like, oh, I got a recruit and then.
Speaker 2: It shows Johnny Cage but it's a it's a poster.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. Yeah, oh, at least I forgot about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so they're just gonna be like, no, no, mine.
Speaker 1: They literally whitewashed it.
Speaker 2: We need we need a more bank. Well, realistically, Johnny Cage is a white guy. So like this is what it should be.
Speaker 1: Yees, but but they already painted it, as.
Speaker 2: You know, and I think they're gonna make him the lead. We'll see what happens. We're already doing next week's thing. But like he shouldn't be the main character. And I have a feeling they're gonna make him because Carl. You don't bring Carl Urban in to make him be.
Speaker 1: In the poster. Now, the poster features all the characters and it's Carl Urban's head like bigger than any I'm sure he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Make any sense. It doesn't make anything.
Speaker 1: The guy who is the main character in the last one is like so small compared to like in the poster or whatever.
Speaker 2: Although I will say, uh, twenty years ago, if adult Ben would have been told, yeah, we're gonna make a live action X Men and it's gonna predominantly feature Wolverine, I'd be like, what you're gonna You're gonna take the meat head side character and you're gonna prominently feature him in an X Men movie, And like now, I can't imagine Wolverine not being like the most prominently featured guy. So who knows, maybe this hits, but like we'll see what happens. That's next week. This week's punish your last kill. We'll talk to you guys then