Speaker 1: And Hi, how are you welcome to the Big Podcast. It's Wednesday. Today is the eighth day of October, year of Our Lord twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. And another busy day, no question about it. We've got the Well we we'll update you a little bit on the shutdown. Yeah, they're still shutdown, but some of the things that are going on behind the scenes are interesting. Oh and you might want to know that the President today said that he was ordering the Internal Revenue SIRERVIS the group we love the IRS, to furlough thirty seven thousand people. So I looked it up. That's about fifty percent. That will lead the IRS with thirty nine thousand, but thirty seven thousand are being furloughed, and furloughed means they're basically sent home because apparently the IRS was one of those essential government agencies and they're not that essential apparently, because he said basically telling half of them to go home. So if you're trying to do business with the IRS right now in any way, shape or form, don't count on a fast response. But about half of so, I don't know what you know the innu window was, Was that a bunch of them would be fired, but today that did not happen. He furloughed thirty seven thousand, leaving thirty nine thousand. There, we've got Katie Porter story. She's running for governor of California. She was a congresswoman from Orange County, California, and she's just I don't like her, but I'll share with you the fact that a bunch of Democrats are also and she's a Democrat, that she.
Speaker 2: Arrogant.
Speaker 1: We'll play. We'll give you an example. James Comey was indicted today in federal court and in Alexandria, Virginia, across the river from the Capitol. So we'll get into the lawyers talking about that and the LA fire, the Palisades fire that was back in January. They have made an arrest, and it fascinates me that they can find through all that rubble and all that ash, how they can go back and figure out who was the person responsible for that fire. But let's start with the shut down, because Chuck Schumer was talking about it today and so was Senator Kennedy. But the airline part of it, I don't know whether you have travel if you're on traveling our business or you're on vacation, but the airlines are a mess. Pete Mundine, who covers aviation it was talking giving a report on it earlier today.
Speaker 3: Listening well, it's important to note that the Newark Approach Control facility, which is actually in Philadelphia, has been plagued by staffing shortages for months, although it is rare that we see it make the list published by the FAA during the morning shift. You know we are not out of the woods yet when it comes to controllers calling out sick. During this government shutdown, and just yesterday we saw a huge list from the FAA of staffing shortages and places where we normally don't see staffing shortages Houston, Dallas, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Boston, Atlanta. The problems were so bad at some major airports like Chicago O'Hare and Nashville that the FAA actually had delay flights going into those airports. There was a ground stop in place for Nashville, about a quarter of all flights delayed at Chicago O'Hare, not near as dramatic as what we saw on Monday. The control tower at Hollywood Burbank International Airport had to go completely dark because of short staffing in the control tower.
Speaker 2: They are a condition known as ATC zero.
Speaker 3: Remember, controllers are working without pay during this government shutdown, and I want you to listen to their union chief Nick Daniels, who says this is not part of some coordinated sickout effort that actually would be illegal. He says that controllers are trying to simply get the job done, and there is a nationwide shortage of controllers. The margins are so thin that when a couple call outs sick, it leads to these delays.
Speaker 2: Listen, well, the bills don't stop.
Speaker 4: Just because we're going to get paid a bit back eventually doesn't mean that it makes it easier on them. So air traffic controllers are going to go to their primary job, but then they'll start having to take up a second job to making sure they have a steady streaming income. And we know the American people don't want to see that, and that's why the shutdown has to end to day before it becomes to measures.
Speaker 3: Just like that, Daniel's paints it is pretty dire, and Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy says this is not political, although he does underscore in a statement and at a press conference on Monday that he says, Chuck Schumer can end this shutdown. The big thing here is the controllers are getting one more paycheck, a partial paycheck, next tuesday for work they have already done before the government shutdown. We will see if things get deeper as time goes on. Only eight days in and it was thirty five days another government shutdown that some controllers calling out sick and some major areas led to the end of that shutdown in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: So there you go. The it's spreading. There's a number of controllers that are calling in sick, and like you said, next week they're getting I think it's Tuesday. They get their check for the first couple of days of the month of October, and then after that they just got to wait with everybody else. The union guy said that, well, they're going to get paid later. But here's President Trump talking about whether or not the people that are laid off are going to get their pay.
Speaker 2: It really depends on who you're talking about. But for the most part, we're going to take care of our people. There are some people that really don't deserve to be taken care of, and we'll take care of them.
Speaker 1: In a different way, So not everybody's going to be treated the same. It's what he's saying, and we don't know who he's exactly talking about. Chuck Schumer, of course, thinks that it's all the Republicans' fault. But a reporter asked him, Hey, are you being stubborn because of the fact that you're worried about losing your Senate seat from New York?
Speaker 2: Are you worried about the pressure that you're getting from your left flank? And is that part of the reason that you even get know.
Speaker 5: The bottom line is very simple. We're fighting for the American people, and it's not just one small group of American people that want this. Hits across the board. Fifty five percent of Trump voters, hardly a flank in our party want this.
Speaker 2: That's why we're doing it. We believe that's our job.
Speaker 1: Just remember, I've given this tip before if you are ever running for political office, just remember to say many times over that you're doing it for the American people. I thought it was interesting that one of the reporters in a gaggle there actually brought at upicenter basically, are you worried about AOC? Are you worried about the far left side of the party because they turned on you last time you cooperated on a debt limit or something like that, and so he's afraid that they're going to push him out of his cushy office as a senator with AOC running against him. Senator John Kennedy always has interesting observations about all of this. Well, I listened to the clip of Senator Schumer. His his relationship with the truth is very casual. The truth is that this is a political shutdown. Senator Schumer is uh, he's nervous as a pregnant nun about losing his reelection to to the to the socialist wing of his party, led by Congresswoman ocasial Court is which is in control.
Speaker 6: Now. We will eventually come out of this this shutdown. Here's how I think it will happen, Uh, Chuck. Senator Schumer is a is a smart man. He's been around a long time. His his uh, his first car was a chariot. Washington is all he's ever known his entire life. He knows he's on shaky ground here in terms of policy. So here's how I think it'll end. Schimber will go to six or eight of his colleagues and say Democrats, of course, and say I want you to vote to lift the shutdown. Now he'll say, I can't vote with you. I've got to appear to be tough. I may even have to criticize you. But wink, wink, nod, nod. I'm trying to make the loon wing of the party and love me, but you bail me out here. But he's got to be careful with that because he doesn't want it to look like a mutiny, because then he looks even weaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Senator Kennedy's making the rounds because he's got a new book out about how to test positive for stupid or something lonely and how Washington never will. So it's he thinks that it's just yet everybody in the other things. This is all about Chuck Schumer trying to protect his hide and not to lose his gushy job as the senior senator from the state of New York. However, there is a Republican who is not with the crowd of Republicans. She's going against them. Marjorie Taylor Green. This is her position on all of this.
Speaker 7: How are we supposed to say it's a Democrat's fault when we're in charge of the White House, the House, and the Senate. People don't buy that. I know people back at home absolutely are calling basically bs on it.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll send her that book that Kennedy wrote about how not to test positive for stupid. So, yes, the Republicans have the House, to Senate and the White House. The problem is is that in the Senate you need sixty vote in order to put the government back in business. The Republicans have fifty three. They got three Democrats to vote with them a couple of days ago, brings us to fifty six. Come on, Marjorie, you know, darn well the math isn't there. You don't have sixty votes in the Senate. But that was her show. She's bucking the party a little bit. She's been doing that lately. This lady that I want to talk about next is Katie Porter. And Katie Porter, I don't know why she irritates me so much, but she just does. She is from southern California, Orange County, just south of LA and it used to be a big Republican area, but it's not so much anymore. In any case, she was elected to Congress from Orange County. She I did one or two terms and then she decided to run for Senate from California and she lost big time. It's not even close. But now she's running for governor of California and the polls show it's pretty tight. But she's right up there along with one or two others that are in the catbird seat. So she's looking pretty good for the governor's race. So she did an interview. She's going around the state of California doing interviews with the California media and a lady from CBS thirteen in Sacramento was interviewing her, and Katie Porter was upset because of the fact that this woman was asking her questions that she did not want to answer. Here's a clip of that interview.
Speaker 2: And what I'm saying to you is that, well, to those voters, okay, so you I don't want to keep doing this, I'm gonna call it. Oh thank you. You're not gonna do the interview with them?
Speaker 8: No, not like this.
Speaker 2: I'm not not with seven follow ups to every single question you ask every other candidate has. I don't care less. I don't care.
Speaker 1: She was mad because the reporter was asking follow up questions to what she said. I guess she's used to reporters having a scripted list of questions and to hand it to her so she will know what the questions are going to be. But this reporter was doing a good job of Katie Porter said something. She did a follow up question, and Katie Porter just got mad about it and said, I'm not going to do it. I don't care. Well, listen to Si Cup and Ssie. I've known SD for a long time. She leans to the left. She tries to pretend she's on the right. She's not. She's a moderate lefty. But she was even taken back by Katie Porter.
Speaker 2: That we didn't hear was really important.
Speaker 9: The question being what are you going to do to win voters who did not vote for Democrats, who voted for Donald Trump of California's electorate. And she said I don't need them, which is saying the quiet part out loud. Maybe you don't need them, but the message should, of course not be one of entitlement and indignance. But I'm going to reach out to every voter in my state. I want to reach out to everyone because I'm running to be.
Speaker 2: Governor for every Californian.
Speaker 9: She said, I don't need them, and then got very annoyed that this great reporter was pushing back on what do you mean you don't need them? You're going to get every Democratic voter. Forty percent does not a small number of voters. That's a giant voting block, and you would need all the Democrats to come out and support you, and I don't know that she has that support.
Speaker 2: So this was a terrible, terrible interview.
Speaker 9: And it kind of goes to the entitlement that people see Democrats having. They saw democrats having it in twenty twenty four. I think a lot of people rejected that. And this is why you're seeing so many young upstarts like Zoran mom Donnie, like o Graham Plattner in Maine, like Omerfetta in Minneapolis running against longtime Democratic incumbents who are saying I'm not going anywhere. I don't care that I'm eighty, this is my job. You'd come take it from me messaging.
Speaker 10: Yes, one hundred percent. And I will also go even further to say the Democrats have a massive, massive, massive crisis in terms of messaging. I've said that for years, you know, emulating Donald Trump, which is what she just did, effectively saying, you know what, I'm going to only speak to the base. I'm not going to speak to anybody else. That may work for Donald Trump with a maggot base, it does not work in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: As he's absolutely right.
Speaker 10: Democrats are looking for is authenticity, and they're looking for people who are building community, and that community has to transcend just our base and include everybody who's fed up with what's going on right now.
Speaker 1: So if you missed it, what the question was was basically, forty percent of Democrats in the state of California voted for Donald Trump, and what do you say to them? And she got mad about it and refused to continue the interview, and that she was mad that the reporter was asking follow up questions. That's what a good reporter does. They don't have a script that said I know that did for Joe Biden, but no, that's not the way it works. So this lady has been coddled by friendly journalists, not that I can't call them journalists, friendly people in the media who have not pushed her on anything like this lady did at the CBS station Mary Catherine Ham, who is on the right side of the aisle. She observed all of this as well.
Speaker 2: This is so embarrassing.
Speaker 11: It is the bare minimum in politics that you should be able to analyze your own race, and that you should be able to speak to the forty percent of voters who might not otherwise agree with you. Presumably she would like to be the governor for all Californians, which includes those forty percent. She can't even countenance a follow up question on that. And I think the most telling sentence and here is she says, I've never had to do this. Ever, What kind of bubble do you live in if you have not received a follow up question? How have you been isolating yourself from every single person who might ask you something tough when it is literally your job to answer to reporters and to constituents. I would encourage everyone to ask her more and more questions because she needs so much practice at this.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the left side of the aisle. Patrick Murphy, he's a former congressman representing the eighth district in Pennsylvania. This is a Democrat. Listen to his reaction to Katie Porter.
Speaker 12: I would say, there's millions of Repubets in California that if you're blessed enough to be the next governor, you got to lead all of the people of California, not just the Democratic Party that might help you get elected. And I think that is the problem with not just this candidate, but people in Washingt d C. They are so fixated on supporting their political party that they're putting their party over our country.
Speaker 1: Back to the right side, Cassie Smedley, she's a spokeswoman for people on the right.
Speaker 13: More broadly, it shows her true colors that she's a weak candidate, and also that she's not fit to represent the entire state of California, which includes Republicans and Democrats. But also I would note Abigail Spamberger having the same issues on the campaign trail, with local reporters asking her about boys and girls bathrooms and in girls sports, and she had a horrible answer for it. Democrats are not used to being asked just perfectly fair, reasonable questions because they're used to being coddled by the press. We need to be holding their feet to the fire. I know your show does it beautifully, but I will give a hats off to these local reporters who are also finally asking these Democrats some real questions.
Speaker 1: Again, the question that she was asked was, well, what do you say to the forty percent of Democrats that voted for Donald Trump? That seems like a legitimate question to ask, but apparently for Katie Porter. I don't know why she irritates me so much, but this might be just the latest example of it. What she would do when she was in Congress, and again, the people in her congressional district did not vote. Well, she's dropped out of that rais and ran for a senator from California, so she had a first statewide race and they did not vote for her at all. So we'll see if this has any impact. But what she would do, she was on various committees, and she was pretty clever about getting a bunch of gotcha questions lined up, and she would act so smug over whoever it was that she was asking questions because she had a gotcha questions that nobody would know the answer to, and she just thought that was so special. So, I mean, I'll go back to one of the comments about the Oh, it was Essie Cupp talking about the fact that Katie Porter acts entitled like she deserves. She's the governor that she's indignant that somebody would dare ask her to follow up question. So we'll keep an eye on Katie Porter and see how she does, hopefully not well. James Comy, former FBI director, indicted today federal court in Alexandria, Virginia. Elliott Williams, who is a lawyer at this observation about the case against James Comy.
Speaker 14: Yeah, even if the motions aren't filed, and we may get a sense as to what motions Comy is thinking about filing, the first one would be one to dismiss the indictment for in effect singling Jim Comy out. And the biggest evidence they will point to are probably the president's own statements himself. The President has made any number of statements on social media calling Jim Comey a crooked cop. There's the social media post we talked about on air several times, directing or at least mentioning Pam Vondi, the Attorney General by name, saying that we have to act now to bring prosecutions like those against Jim Comey to happen. Those are the kinds of things a defendant could easily point to as saying that he was singled out for prosecution in a way that was vindictive or malicious or out side the bounds of the law.
Speaker 2: Expect that right away.
Speaker 14: Now, Jim Coman can also just look at the substance of his indictment as well and say, look, this is just so thin, your honor, this ought to be thrown out. So he has a number of ways, and I think we can expect to will see them.
Speaker 1: This case is being filed in and will be heard in the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria, right across the river from the Capitol, and the prosecutor in this was the acting US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, said you got a lot of pressure from the White House to prosecute James Comy, and he said, basically, I don't think we have a case. So he was being pressured to base he was going to be fired, so he resigned and Trump then said, well, I fired him. And he hired a lady who is one of his lawyers from some of his business dealings. Her specialty is insurance law, dealing with insurance companies. She's never prosecuted anybody, so this is brand new to her. Tom Dupree, former federal prosecutor, also takes a look at this case.
Speaker 15: One of the things that judges often do in these arraignements is basically set a trial scheduled up to and including an actual date that trial could begin, and look, I think this judge is fairly typical for the Eastern District of Virginia, which is a jurisdiction that is known for its rocket docket for moving cases along very quickly, very efficiently. This is not a particularly complex case, at least as far as criminal cases go, So wudn't surprise me at all to see the judge basically saying, look.
Speaker 2: Here we are, we're beginning today. Here's what the schedule is going to look like.
Speaker 5: Let's get it.
Speaker 1: On one more. Lawyer Andy McCarthy, who is a Fox News contributor on all things legal, he took a look at this case and he's not impressed.
Speaker 8: I don't believe they have a case based on what we've seen in the indictment and what we know from the public reporting. Now we're going to find out. You know, the arraignment was apparently unexceptional and unremarkable. That's usually the case the only thing that really happens is a plea get centered. But now the real work begins. The judge will set a schedule for the filing of motions. I expect that Comby's team is going to make motions, particularly about selective prosecution and that sort of thing, and the judge will have to rule on that. And if the case doesn't get thrown out prior to a trial date, we'll have a trial.
Speaker 1: So what happened was the judge of the rocket docket reputation was held because the judge said, let's do this and do it quickly. So he as there's a hearing coming up in November, another one in December. They'll be short, short and sweet, and at that point is expected that Comby's lawyers will ask for dismissal. But he already set the date for trial. If there is a trial, it will be January fifth, And that is unheard of in these kinds of cases. Usually takes months and months for these things to come to trial. But Kobe wanted this to be heard and heard quickly. So the case is going to be if it does go to trial, it will be January fifth. For that mark mark your calendars down in Los Angeles today, the Palisades fire now six eight hundred homes. People's lives just I don't want to say they were ruined, but I've always thought about fire being one of the worst disasters that you can experience because all of your possessions. It's not like some bad guy broke into your home and stole your laptop, computer. This is everything that you own is ash, including family heirlooms, photographs, things that are that you can't replace. All of that is gone, plus a lot of businesses in the Palisades area that we're all so burned to the ground. Well, they have made an arrest, and I'm just fascinated by these fire investigators how they can sip through ash and find evidence so that they can locate the arsonist. And that's exactly what they did. Bill is Salee, who is the US Attorney board that part of southern California, announce the arrest today.
Speaker 16: I'm Bill Saley, the acting United States Attorney for the Central District of California. Today we are announcing the arrest of twenty nine year old Jonathan Rindernecked for igniting a fire that ultimately burned down the Palisades earlier this year, killing twelve people, destroying more than sixty eight hundred structures, both homes and businesses, and damaging over one thousand more buildings. The complaint, unsealed today, charges the defendant with destruction of property by means of fire, a felony that carries a mandatory minimum five year federal prison sentence and is punishable by up to twenty years in federal prison. The defendant was arrested yesterday on a federal criminal complaint near his Florida residence, and he's expected to make his initial appearance today in the federal court in Orlando, Florida. I stress that the complaint contains allegations, and every defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. The allegations in the affidavit are supported by digital evidence, including the defendant's chatchpt prompt of a dystopian painting showing in part a burning forest and a crowd fleeing from it. The allegations that's from his chat GPT. That's an image he produced a few months before the fire started. It shows the city being burned there. The allegations are further supported by the defendant and cell phone, his false statements to law enforcement, and his behavior during the Lachman fire, which defendant is charged with maliciously starting shortly after midnight on New Year's Day of this year, and which eventually became the Palisades Fire. Late last New Year's Eve, Rinderneck returned to Pacific Palisades after working the evening shift as an Uber driver. Two of his passengers told law enforcement that he appeared agitated and angry that night. After dropping off a passenger in Pacific Palisades, Rinderneck parked his car and tried and failed to contact a former friend. He exited the car, walked up a nearby trail, took iPhone videos at a nearby hilltop, and listened to a rap song whose music video including objects being lit on fire. The defendant had listened to this song and watched its music video repeatedly and the days leading up to the Lockman fire. Twelve minutes into the New year, environmental sensing platforms indicated that a fire had started. It took the defendant several tries to contact nine to one one to report the fire. He fled the scene in his car, but turned around after passing fire engines driving in the opposite direction to fight there to fight the fire. While the Lockman fire burned, the defendant walked up the same trail from earlier that night to watch the fire and firefighters, using his iPhone to take short videos of the scene. Although firefighters suppressed the blaze, the fire continued to smolder and burn underground within the root structure of the dense vegetation. So that fire started on January first, and it smoldered underground for about a week until on January seventh, heavy winds caused this underground fire to surface and spread above ground, causing what became known as the Palisades Fire, one of the most destructive wildfires in Los Angeles city history. Law enforcement got to work and by January twenty fourth had identified and interviewed the defendant. During his interview, he lied about where he was when he first saw the Lockman fire, claiming he was near the bottom of a hiking trail. Geolocation data for the nine to one calls showed that he was standing above the fire in a clearing, merely thirty feet from the blaze as it rapidly grew. As the world watched in horror, as the Palisades fire. Burned victims perished in the smoke and flames, homes where cherished family memories and belongings were turned to rubble and ash. The iconic Pacific Coast Highway along Malibu looked like a war zone. Thousands of people were forced to evacuate. The homes and businesses cannot be rebuilt. This arrest, we hope, will provide a measure of justice to all those who were impacted.
Speaker 1: So it's a little bit of digital investigative work. And just again I'm amazed by fire investigators on how they can find out where fires start, how they start, and to find the person that if there was an arsonist that set the fire. So telephones, cell towers, geo locating, you know, I mean, even the guy who killed those four kids in Moscow, Idaho. You know, he had a master's in criminology and he knew to turn his phone off while he committed the murders. But it was also kind of stupid because he turned it off before he murdered them turned it back on. They used phones, they use your phone. They've got cameras everywhere, and environmentals censors determined that there was a blaze up there in the hills above the Palisades. So hats off to the Los Angeles investigators who were able to make this arrest. On Wall Street today, no, not a lot to talk about. The Dow was down one point off of its record to forty six thousand and six to oh one, SMP up thirty nine. The Nasdaq Love those Tex stocks up two hundred and fifty five. The price of gold continues to be on a tear, up fifty six dollars a day to four thousand and sixty at the record. Oil up half a buck sixty two dollars and some change for a barrel of boil. Thank you for coming by today. We'll try this again tomorrow. I hope to see you there.