Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services insure your most prized possessionets.
Speaker 2: Were good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, and today with me is Dave Silver, the Affable. Dave's alffable affable, Yes, and our guy Kobe.
Speaker 3: Kobe, how are you good?
Speaker 4: Are you guys?
Speaker 3: Were you cheering the game last night?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Great game.
Speaker 2: It'll pull it out at the end. Did you have any point think that it was not gonna happen?
Speaker 4: I mean, I thought the second and half collapse would happen at a point, but they cut the lead, but then they closed out.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, Dave, Yeah, I was optimistic. It was.
Speaker 6: It's kind of fun just to watch the game develop. And they played so well in the first half. Shot what sixty in the first half, so things were going pretty well. But yeah, that second half, you know, with like minutes to go, sometimes you're just wondering when are they gonna be able to hold on.
Speaker 3: They made the.
Speaker 6: Run and they were able to, you know, kind of hold him off and hit some free throws down at the end. So that was kind of nice to see because that didn't happen against Houston, right.
Speaker 3: So, you know, it was I'm sure.
Speaker 6: They've got to be satisfied picking up, you know, a victory and ending the losing streak and then looking forward to coming home for.
Speaker 2: A couple of games. Finally, I was talking to Bruce. Were texting with Bruce this morning. She who's with the team? No one's asked about that. Uh, that wrist injury of kJ What it is? How serious it is? It's not serious enough for him not to play?
Speaker 3: But what is it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he did just play seventeen minutes. He had fouled troubles, so did Jayden last night. But you're right, he seems to sometimes be favoring it. He'll grab you. Yeah, Ause he's walking off the court. I think there was one shot where he was, you know, just you know, hanging on kind of with his with his left hand, you know, trying to make himself feel better. But you're right, it's probably not something that's going to heal during the season. It might be one of these you know, surgery type situations or who knows, you know, who knows.
Speaker 2: How badly he's hurt. I guess we have to wait to hear from them. I'm going to ask you a question. This little dated now, uh four days removed. So you saw Houston saw did you see the postgame interviews?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I've heard about them.
Speaker 6: You know, everyone's talking about Tommy and his comments about doing ki.
Speaker 3: Who asked that question?
Speaker 2: Or it was a random It was a random question, I think. So I asked a question and then he went down gentle and he went to there. Yeah, he looked at a few of us. You don't believe I know you believe it. We're not gonna lose. And I was like, I'm thinking, where's this coming from? As he was saying who's coming from? He's looking at me, and I'm thinking, do you blame us after what happened? But but no, in reality, where's this coming from? And is that he was pissed already? One he was pissed already. He never gets like that. And then some guy in the back he had to be a journalism major from somewhere from probably, and just kid asked the innocuously I had already asked questions about free throws. He answered it blah blah, blah. It's five minutes in. He asked it again in a different way, and because he already had it prepare, you know, he had his questions prepared.
Speaker 3: He asked that.
Speaker 2: He says, what do you want me to do? You know, go and have them make run and make him run laps, blah blah blah. And he was getting upset because you know, he got questions, like he got questions. Yeah, but I think Bruce, I think Bruce and I asked asked him question, and he asked him. Lloyd on his get or asked his kick comment after the Houston game was meant to motivate his team. Maybe maybe he was gonna I was getting myself juiced up. And that's pretty much what it was. He was getting he doesn't lose his temper, and he did. He did throughout some of that. It was just different, but he did. He's done something like that a while back. I think after they got beat or they got be he said, we're gonna have to get tougher because you know, yeah, you remember that.
Speaker 6: It's also too from some of the stuff I was reading this morning, was that he never really talked to the team about that, Like, you know, he never really referred to his own guys saying, oh, you're you know, kind of like that message never never really was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't I know it was it was. It was it was people like us exactly. That's why I'm asking you because I can't remember. Maybe Luke did it a couple of times, and I'm sure Sean did now and again, I just can't remember where he. Sean used us all the time to get messages across because he he was purposeful. He knew what he was saying, he knew exactly where he wanted to go with it. Hey, how's that red sky? Well it's actually blue. You know, he kind of direct the answer to his own liking. But do you remember anything like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we used to. You could always tell when lut would do it. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. It was great at doing that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: And now.
Speaker 6: I'm just I'm just wondering, you know, how the messages received, Who's who's looking to the players. Even the players even check, you know, over the course of these last couple of days, and they looking at the social media to see what their coach has to say.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because the and that's when people are asking me. To me, I was misdirected anger because you know how to use that with his guys, you'd get it right. They'd get it right for us, What the hell do we care? In all honesty, He's and i'd like Tommy a ton, I like, I just finished right in his Father of the Year story.
Speaker 3: But I just found it kind of strange. It came out of like where is that coming from? Yeah, well it made news. It made news, you know, maybe on.
Speaker 2: A slow news day. And they played it last night. They played it on right after the game. They went to SVP. Yeah, they and they're talking about it. So yeah, I mean it was It was definitely a motivational thing. But who knows if it motivated the players. Probably not if they're not watching it or don't really care. I'm sure they do somehow. The families, i mean, people see that stuff.
Speaker 6: Sure, and that's kind of the way you know, communication works these Yeah, yeah, yeah, no question, because the tweets and the and the social media and people, you know, fans you know, just go on Facebook after any game and all of a sudden or even during games, well, which is even dumber in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Well, no question, last night was one of another. Every game is a dumber thing because you have people tweeting about the game who are no disrespect to you. Whoever, whatever they do for a living, they just don't do this, you know what I'm saying. And it's coming out of left field and blah blah blah, and what are.
Speaker 3: You getting this?
Speaker 2: But this is the way they communicate, right, It's like people are people stupid like me and maybe you when you're watching it, where are you coming from with this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And the kids aren't walked, especially during the game with this guy Jim Jim Bob Broke.
Speaker 6: I mean with three minutes left, Yeah, I mean, I can you know if you want to be the uh you know, the game recapper after the game, whoever you are, I'll give you that. You at least you're trying, but to do things just throw something out in the middle of the game. I've never understood it. Yeah, what's going on? Why are they losing by twenty points right now? And it's you know, the game is in the second half.
Speaker 2: The sad one is it made you look to me, made you look also maybe want delete that person from my I've done that, Yeah, I've done that. But it is what it is. The good thing for them is that they've righted the ship. Here's another kind of late thing. Saturday came out. They were a three seed in the East. Up for whatever that's worth, because things will change. They lost, and everybody's, oh, that's gone the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now they're a four seed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now, but but they righted the ship and okay, they're a four seat, three seats whatever?
Speaker 3: Four seat?
Speaker 2: What does that mean with a month left? And how many one seats have they been? And how'd that go? How many two seats have they been?
Speaker 3: How did that go?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: Kidd? How many three seeds? And how'd that go? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean, and everybody at this time of year, you're always doing that. You're always looking ahead. Oh let's see what we got, you know, Utah and b Yu and then you know, another road game. I mean, it's everyone's doing that at this point. And then when you get to the tournaments, the conference tournaments, it's even worse. Okay, if they can just win two games, there'll be a three seed or whatever.
Speaker 3: And then it's what does it matter? Ask me? If I'm married? Are you married?
Speaker 2: No? But when I got married, I didn't go in thinking out get a divorce, and I surely didn't think that I would think ten years ahead and say I wonder if I'm still gonna be happy? You know, you know they don't enjoy the moment. They don't know how to join the moment. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: And then when you get to the moment and you lose, it's our hell breaks loose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're talking about the fans now, the fans now, yes, yes, sure, it's yeah. I mean it's part of gosh, you know, as I'm sitting here getting older and watching these games and thinking this has been going on for like thirty five forty years, I mean, and the anxiety and stuff.
Speaker 2: You say that because you've been here that time. I guarantee you is before that. Now we just get to see it in real time, you know, because it used to be, Dave, you want to go grab a beer in like nineteen seven, nineteen eighty three day you want.
Speaker 3: To go grab a beer.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go to I'm just rusties for somewhere and we're sitting in the corner and some dude under the booth is.
Speaker 3: Saying God, God, dam sucks. You know that's where you would hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wouldn't hear it here right or on the radio, on social media and stuff like that. Yeah, and now there's there's so much, just so much chatter. It's it's really, it's really hilarious. I try to during games, like I said to you earlier we were sitting there, guy, I like to turn the sound off and sometimes just watch it and don't get affected by the crowds and the noise and just just kind of it makes.
Speaker 3: It a little more relaxing.
Speaker 2: Here's another thing I think about that, which is I think is a perfect thing. So so people complain, Oh, the announcers they say this and say that, and like Bill, when Bill was doing it, and everybody either hate hted him or really loved him. And I would say, what do you do when you go to the actual game? Do you watch a TV? Did listen to what they're saying? Or do you actually just watch the game? You can't do that in front of your TV and just turn it off and watch the game. Yeah, because you're just watching the game. It's it's hard, it's hard to block things out. There's some sports, no big deal baseball, know, sound up, fine, listen to the game. I mean, that's kind of a perfect game for radio or for noise or for sound, but sometimes, you know, you just don't want to listen to it. I don't know if other fans feel the same way. And it wasn't so much Bill Walton, who I.
Speaker 6: Got a kick out of, to be honest with you, and I think a lot of people did. But just in general, sometimes it's like I just watched this thing quietly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just watch it and watch because you want to watch basketball, Yeah, and watch it and just see how it plays out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So here we are the right of the ship at least for now. And then they have a couple of gimmes coming up which they should win. I don't want to look forward like you were talking about, but but you know, capable and then and then of course Iowa State and then a issue and then Kansas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I mean it's you know, it's it's sitting there right for them if they can whatever get four wins out of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, four wins. Yes, it's five games, six games, yeah, but they they got to go to they go.
Speaker 2: To to five games, so five games, four games even three three of them are home. Yeah, so get those three for sure, maybe steal one on the road with Iowa State or Kansas, yep, Kansas possible.
Speaker 3: Kansas is definitely beatable this year.
Speaker 2: Right, and then you get ready for the pack the Big twelve tournament, and then the tournament and then guess what, all bets are wrong?
Speaker 3: Then everything that happened doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: Just so crazy about college basketball, right, what doesn't matter?
Speaker 2: What do you make of them thinking about going to one hundred and two teams.
Speaker 3: Seventy seventy two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, they're going to eventually if they're talking about it, like eventually, you're.
Speaker 6: Right, you know, there's certainly enough interest in that tournament. It's it's a great month. Does it make it less exclusive or yeah? I mean you're bringing in a couple of teams and maybe wouldn't wouldn't be there normally.
Speaker 3: Right, but you know the normal what what's the purpose twelve? See money? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I'm sure is there is there a way they can squeeze all these games in? I mean, it's tight the way it is now.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they'll there is, and there's two more games won't extend a weekend?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they'll do something maybe on Wednesday, possibly, I don't know. If they can do that. Most they play those playing games. The playing games are on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: And Tuesday each day, So we'll see, we'll see party again. Just had two more games and then see how they do it. It's just weird to me. I mean, they had it good at sixty four even, blah blah blah. Yeah, well what about the teams that didn't make it? Every year you're gonna have more teams that didn't make it. Yeah, every year one hundred and four teams get in. What about one hundred and five and six? Get about the phone.
Speaker 6: Just everybody, and let's just play a bit of giant tournament. I mean, that's kind of what college sports is going to is trying to become anyway, right, is the SEC and the Big Ten want to just be themselves. You know, they want all the teams in the college football playoffs. They want four from each conference. So that's only going to leave what, you know, maybe eight other ones. Yeah, so that's kind of what what's happening.
Speaker 2: Well here we are, okay, so let me just set up the day. We have Kelvin Ephan who does is his analyst stuff on twelve ninety each game and before and after so we're going to get ahold of him again.
Speaker 3: He does a great job for us.
Speaker 2: And when we talked to him about breaking down some of the stuff that's going on or whatever he sees. And then the four seventeen hour, one of my favorite guys, Evan my Kawa, the guy behind the numbers, my geek friend who will rule the world of college basketball at some point and soon, yes, he'll take over Ken Palm and eat all that stuff up. You were on with me last week. He was fantastic. You had never really known, right, Nope, And it was a lot of fun to go through his analytics.
Speaker 6: So remind us again what the site is, I guess Evan Maya, Evan Maya, Evan Mayo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we'll go through that. He's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: He's out of Texas and you know, had this one of the fancy smanchy jobs and he says, I want to do this and charge his people X amount of money to get on this thing. And all the coaches use it, right, all the schools use it, so you know, it's a monthly service. And I'm sure he's going to have a Ferrari and a mentioned some point, so probably, Yeah, live wherever he Yes, just sit there and watch college basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah you remember the Kansas team that really was bad the other night. Yea, So those two and we're going to come back with Calvin.
Speaker 8: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website green. That's great entering Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 10: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yucky.
Speaker 11: Try The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener, bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of in stock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 11: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equick mas Arizona.
Speaker 12: Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health from leading edge and exercise equipments on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 10: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 13: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 10: It's time to restock your.
Speaker 13: Promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K NINEZ two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change the don't notice?
Speaker 10: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 3: As one of the.
Speaker 15: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 10: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over the three thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two OHO seven to four to ZHO twelve thirteen. Broud sponsor of Eye on the ball.
Speaker 16: Go cats, got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management. Specialist tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event.
Speaker 17: For four Action Pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games they're set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Kenoveterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Qinosports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch a league baseball talent from around the globe feel the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China, and Columbia take the field. Whether you're a lifelong fan or just looking for an unforgetable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March.
Speaker 3: Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait.
Speaker 17: Visit World Baseballclassic dot com or SASTFA dot com. That's SASFA dot com. Just cure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 11: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks our designer They're here to guide homeowners every step of the way. All under one roof. Find a location near you are. Shop online at the window deepot dot Com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 8: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to wynding the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver, You're Kobe and now we're gonna have Kelvin E.
Speaker 3: Fhon on the phone. Kelvin, are you there? Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 2: Perfect timing, Perfect timing, Kelvin, What did you see? We're gonna go through two games because I hadn't talked to you in a while, but Saturday's game. Let's let's go first to last night's game because it's fresh, and we'll go back to Saturday.
Speaker 3: What did you What did you make of it? Did you think?
Speaker 2: Were you like whether Tommy's guys, you guys think we're gonna get her ask kicked?
Speaker 3: Were you one of those guys?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I wasn't. No, I wasn't at all.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, I saw how close those games were. I saw the games where they went on a run. It just won, like what twelve out of thirteen or something like that. So no, I just thought that they ran into two good teams and Kansas State needed a victory, needed a victory. So they came and brought everything that they had, so much that they've lost their.
Speaker 10: Last two games, right, you know.
Speaker 5: So they just came and gave everything, and then again the other team takes to take. I mean, you know, this conference is a tough conference. You're not going to go through unscathed. So, you know, as a former player a coach, you know, I'm not surprised whenever you in these tough battles.
Speaker 2: Do you think that so you've been doing this long time in this side of defense, not as an athlete, but as as an observer in the in the Drumanism world. Do you think that people the general public realizes how difficult it is to win on the road and play against good teams.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, you know, sometimes you get spoiled.
Speaker 18: I mean, coach Filson.
Speaker 5: Spoiled this coach Miller, right and was Lloyd came right in with some of the players Coach Midler had and you know and has you know, advanced and got more players and spoiled us. You know, winning at home all the time. You know, getting to the tournament all the time, and you know, people want to get back to a final four with opportunity to win a championship, but you know it takes time. Man, these rosters are getting turned over every year. I mean, we have a new guy in the starting lineup now, Henry Vasar, so it's like the fourth starting lineup. You know, you go back and think about it. Coach Lloyd never changed his lineup up. I mean maybe one guy, Pela Larson, you know, switching back and forth from starting to six man. But usually he stinks with his units. I mean, to me, he's really coaching up this group. I mean, even last night he took guys out. People were talking about how tired the guys are, of which I'm sure they are, but all the time, all the players on all the teams are tired. At this point of the year, right everybody's playing thirty thirty thirty five minutes. So I just feel like that you saw him take Caleb Love out of the game. You saw him take Brawley out even though he was in foul trouble, you know, switching guys up, saving guys a little minuted for the end of the game. I thought, that's why Caleb had that energy to be able to get that dunk at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the big guys too.
Speaker 6: It's kind of fun to watch Toby just kind of come in and I mean, you know, he said some big games. He's done obviously very well with the offensive rebounding, the rebounding in general. Did you expect that from him coming in from a Tennessee to just kind of, you know, work his way into the lineup and really contribute like this.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 5: I did, especially going into the Big twelve. I knew we needed a kind of a bully type of rebound type of guy, somebody to push people off the block, and I thought it was perfect. I didn't know if it was going to be him a towsand but I seen the efficiency that he played with as far as offensive rebounding when he was at Tennessee, and I knew that was something that we needed. But his offensive scoring has been a little bit of surprise. The putbacks, the mid range jumper, the little floater that he does, it's been a little bit of a surprise. And his toughness has been really needed on this team. And I think it's been rubbing off on some of the other big guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, I'm figuring that when Tommy went to go get him and talentson to a degree, is we're moving into the big twelve. We need someone like that dude, those two dudes, because it's gonna be rough and tell me right, and here's the issue, And you don't have to agree with me, Kevin, but it's an observation I've said the last few days and outside of last night. So so Arizona's is pretty good, right, we all know that, and they are going to be a three or four seed going in. But still they're playing with a couple of they're playing with their hands, but with one hand tied behind their back. Because there's days when Delorso doesn't show up and Townson doesn't show up right, and then sometimes in that time Caleb doesn't show up. So now you have three dudes that aren't doing what they need to do. Last night, Delorcio was out of his mind, which is great, right, and then Townson didn't do what he did, but Caleb was good.
Speaker 3: Again, do you agree with me or do you see what I'm telling you?
Speaker 5: Well, I do see what you're saying, But I think you have to look at it like this. Caleb is facing every team that understands every kid. I ain't gonna say kid. All the young men that play against him, watch him play in the National Championship game, but like three years ago. So they're coming in to stop Caleb. They're coming in with their best defenses. They're doubling them everywhere. I mean, they're making it tough on him. I mean, and coaches, you know, kind of say figure it out. So he has to kind of figure it out, you know, inside of the flow offense. So I kind of give him a pass sometimes, even though I feel like he shoots too many threes, especially for a guy that's so efficient when he gets in the mid range with his pull ups. His floaters haven't been all that, you know, they come and go, but the mid range, and when he gets aft the way to the rim with the left hand, he can even dump the ball. Would love to see him get some more back doors, but I think they'll also in Townsend. I think we also have to give them a little bit of a pass because it just got here. This is a huge step up. You guys know this better than me. This is not you know, I don't care how well that they played at the level that they played at, it had to be understood that it was going to be some transition time. And there also with limited playing time and talentshend with being so used to running set offenses. People miss y'all don't understand when you're used to running plays that set you up to be one on one in the post against either bigger guys that are slower than you or against smaller guys that emphasized you scoring. He was a different guy in that system, and this system is not really made for you to get isolated. You have to figure it out amongst the flow, and and it comes and goes for him. So I think the best of him is yet to come. I think we probably see the best of him in tournament play.
Speaker 3: Those people are gonna un Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was justa say, Kevin, we're running out of time, man, Yeah, yeah, no, But you're right. I think if it's not by tournament time, then you've kind of, you know, four months later, gamonew Gamonel he's done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, man, but it is what it is. Is what you got. You can't trade him, you can't go into you know, find some new guys, this is what you have and you got to make it work. They're already down to eight guys really that place, you know what he do? You take Townsend and they're also out now yet six So you just got to figure out what you got.
Speaker 6: How about the emergence of Carter in the last month, where do you see him, you know, emerging maybe even being you know, one of the one of the main guys in the tournament. He's he's pretty mature for a freshman.
Speaker 5: He is he is, and coach played him a little bit more as a three yesterday. I like him more at the four and uh yeah. I love his catch and shoot. I love his intensity on the defensive side of the ball, his IQ, his understanding of what they're trying to do. I think he's a guy that could take off man. And you know, I always tell people I'm a little afraid that he plays any better. He's definitely not going to be around here.
Speaker 2: You're not You're not alone with that. I think everybody says, okay, be good, but just don't be that good.
Speaker 3: It's six assistance, right right, six assists?
Speaker 2: I mean let everybody yeah huge, yeah, so uh what, Okay, we'll stay with that they won the game. They're back to where they probably need to be. What did you make of Saturday's game? Because Tommy was kind of all over the map emotionally and otherwise. And you're right, I totally agree with this that they paid well enough to win the game but didn't. But let's let's put some perspective on it. That was one of the top five teams in the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, I mean you're facing you were facing the team again, Houston, tough defenders, grown men that have been playing together for a while. Coach the transfers that he do get to fit exactly what he's trying to do. So there's no you know, there's no time to get to know each other. Like I think U of A is still trying to figure out. They're still trying to figure out each other a little bit. I mean, you have a little connection there with A three of the guys would love Bradley and kJ Lewis, but the rest of the guys are trying to figure each other out. And but Houston, man, you watch those guys.
Speaker 18: That the defensive intensity that.
Speaker 5: They have, the way that they double rotate, it's just words on you, man. As that game goes along man, and one or two mistakes they get you. And they're looking to play games like that, making it ugly, trying to get it down to the wire and just see if they can make a play or not.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, and you and you're well of this. Once the tournament happens, guess what happens. Teams start playing like that.
Speaker 5: That's the game. And that's why I think Arizona has been lucky to be in those games. I mean, it's been a few of them. We came out on the wrong side of. But I think I mean, I hate I know people are gonna hate to hear this, but I think we lucky because we win those games. We win that little tournament, the Bahama Tournament, we win, We win those games right there, and then we get in the tournament and lose in the first round. I've been around for that. You know what that's like, right, So no, I'd rather learn my lessons a little earlier in the year. You know, we're not finality to it.
Speaker 6: Amazing thing too, is is you know these the n A there's not much scouting. You know, all of a sudden, oh my gosh, we're playing you know, some team we've never heard of. And that seems to be the bugaboo in that tournament, not just for the U of A, but for almost everybody because it's a it's a crapshoot once you get to that point, it is and it's.
Speaker 3: And it's a guard game.
Speaker 5: It's about, you know, who has the guards and the chemistry and the team that understands how each other play and style of play, and they can come out and as I you know, experienced against Miami Ohio, you know, went up there and got beat by those guys where guys I've never heard of before or after. But you know, it's just one of those things when they come in with their game plan and hey, they could they can knock you out.
Speaker 3: You remember Devin Davis, I know, I definitely remember.
Speaker 5: Bro Man point guard too. He gave Dave. They gave Daved Fitz that day. But you know it was more to that. You remember a couple of guys were.
Speaker 3: Just being knowing everything and so there was a lot going on there, right, Yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: Uh, well you're a coach and you used to play, so I think one of the things I've learned the most is sometimes teams go in with your either over confident or not knowing who they're playing, like the Miami of the East Tennessee States and blah blah blah. How do you as a coach guard against stuff like that? Because you know, if you have a good team, like a really good team, and they play you know whoever Green, you know, a smaller school, you're thinking, don't overlook these guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, you remind them. I mean, especially when you have those experiences. You know a lot of you know a lot of coaches played, so you have a lot of experiences and you point to them and you and you find games where you know people underestimated people, and you can I mean you can just look up and down the history of the NCAA tournament and find it. And being a former Arizona player, I could point to several games myself and just say, hey, guys, this can happen to you and you can have the superior team. So you know, as a coach, you really guard against that when you experienced, you experienced that, you really going against that with your guys, man, and you try to really be on them. That's why you notice the coaches be on the sideline. Okay, you notice that coach Lord got very animated when he was talking about you know, people think it was gonna get our buck kid, because he was letting his guys know. He was talking to them more than anybody else. He was letting them know that like, hey, if you're not going to be a fighter today, I'm gonna find somebody who will because I'm not just gonna take you know, getting my behind kicked on national TV. So you know, it's just one of those things where the intensity kind of picks up with the coach when he understands the states you.
Speaker 3: Were gonna say, Dave, we talked about this earlier.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he says this, right, he says, says to a group of fifteen twenty in the room, and okay, he tells it, but he doesn't tell the kids. Do you think the kids knew about it or heard about it or whatever?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, Oh yeah, come on, guys, like you know, you know, we players try to act like you didn't hear the media or you don't look at the social media and all the different stuff they're lying. Come on now, and especially when your coach is speaking and something like that comes out. Your parents are hearing, your friends are hearing. I mean, he's talking about you know, you guys. You know, he's talking about people think that we're gonna get kicked, and and and all. We tough enough, that's what I heard. You know, we toughing up when we're gonna fight back. Like I heard all that in there as a player, you know, I'm listening to him, you know, I'm hearing him as a coach, but my player instance are coming on, and I'm like, oh, he's challenging us. Yeah, and and and I thought they answered the challenge. I thought they answered it against Houston.
Speaker 18: Yeah, no, Houston.
Speaker 5: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't.
Speaker 5: They didn't back down to Houston. They was right there right. But again, I thought that energy helped them out when it got to a tabel or they understood the assignment. They they figured out a way to knuckle up again.
Speaker 6: Like we were talking about Tobey, I mean, I don't think there's been too many guys like that around here. I think if if someone told him, hey, you know, you guys are gonna lose, he looked like he was just kind of possessed last night. That was not gonna happen to him. He took over. Well, he was and you know him makes some big plays. Kelvin, I can't remember. I think I do remember a little. You played with Rays, right, Ray.
Speaker 2: So he wasn't he wasn't built as big as but he had that he had that bite to him. He didn't say much, but I'm told he had a bite to him.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh yeah, I tell anybody it is. There was not a player on the U of a team and my two years playing and even afterwards, that intimidated me more than Ray. I'm not indidated.
Speaker 2: And Kelvin, no one would think that, right because I know that because people tell me these things and I know you, I know you guys, and they said, I.
Speaker 3: Said, really, he never said it words he was.
Speaker 5: He was a dude, right, You didn't play with Ray. You didn't play with Ray at all. You didn't play with Ray and all. And he told me one time, and he didn't have to tell me again, trust me, well.
Speaker 2: You weren't here for you. And another guy like this was Michael Wright and said where.
Speaker 5: Oh no, we didn't play together. But I know you know, that's who I think when I think of what Toby is bringing with the offensive rebound. Now, Michael White was a way more skilled offensive player. Was way more skilled offensive player overall. But the rebounding and the toughness and being physical. Yeah no, the same type of energy.
Speaker 6: Same basically, that's a good comparison, same type of body, like six seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember people telling me he would say give me the ball and once he got because he had like three assistants whole career, once he got the ball.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, yeah, not fast. I always say him. Might be him and Michael Dickerson, they're not fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah right right now. What Michael d with the ball was pretty damn good. Pretty yeah, I'll be as usual, went to many people.
Speaker 2: He had the pad, right as usual to Kevin, thanks for joining us, talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, thanks, good stuff, that fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michael right rio is no one ever knows but about right du yeah about right? Oh yeah no, he look at his statsysts really that would disappear. He got it low, he was going to the basket.
Speaker 3: All he was good. I like watching him play. Yeah, that little left hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's go take a break, come back, maybe take some calls from people who what's.
Speaker 3: The game now?
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona Man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 10: Wildcat Nation.
Speaker 19: Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team Over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance as plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four AH three five five one four.
Speaker 20: Four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement. How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tuson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MBAs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 14: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health from.
Speaker 5: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 12: On twenty second, just west of.
Speaker 13: Wilmot, Tucson, It's time for the Cool of Garden Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisodor's Helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest.
Speaker 10: Don't forget to.
Speaker 13: Join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Iis and co Et Sol live in concert at Rito Park.
Speaker 10: The Colo Guard Classic by Exact.
Speaker 13: Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic. Dot Com. This that is brought to you by file Bomb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 7: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is more. Lis pieas need more money in your pocket, Liz Hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids, Less us More philosophy is coming to.
Speaker 21: Your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an Equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 8: Streamy Live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Raverra on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Dave Silver, You're Kobe. If you want to give us a call. Gave Dave Hell for his thoughts.
Speaker 3: Give us a call. What did I say this time?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Whatever? Who knows? Who knows? I give us call?
Speaker 2: Five two o four one six seventy four forty your thoughts on the team.
Speaker 3: You know where you like done?
Speaker 2: The Dubson know the world is gonna end on Saturday afternoon or now you're back.
Speaker 3: Now it's batter than I do Saturday watch the game again.
Speaker 6: The beauty of being in the position I'm in now, I could just turn it off. I don't have to write a story and I have to talk about it. I don't have to listen to donors complain about the teams. I mean, it was, it's kind of nice. It's kind of a nice phase of life.
Speaker 3: You have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the problem I have now is because after wins, no one everyone leaves me alone, ah blay. And when they lose, no one really reads the crap because I don't want to don't want to read it. But after they lose, like again, like that, you go, you go to games, right then you're you're you're not where you're working, but you're not working. You start working after the game, right. So I get these texts during the press conference, you know what the world for the next hour, they're texting me, could you leave me alone? I need to ask some questions I need to write. Don't bother me.
Speaker 3: During this time, and I look forward to those stories.
Speaker 6: I mean, when I was in the media, I would anxiously await, you know Greg's Sunday column and your guys postgame columns or whatever. I mean, I you know, I as a consumer in those years even still so I mean it's okay. I mean, do your job, and I think people people do enjoy that perspective. We've all watched the games pretty much. I don't need a play by play recap. Get your guys feelings about that job.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what we try to do it And thanks for noticing the day. But that's exactly it. It's you've already know what happened. Now it's what does it all mean? Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, I think perspective has never been a real big thing around Tucson with with you of A athletics sometimes where we think it's the only game in town and that's it.
Speaker 2: Well that's because I think you've been with me a time or two and get a call and I says, oh, what the hell you're sensible?
Speaker 3: How did you get through? Most people aren't sensible?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean when you're around as long as we've been, you know, you have to kind of just say listen. You know they're going to have bad days. Yeah, it's going to happen. And you're gonna just kept move past and let's see what happens next.
Speaker 2: So let me go through some perspective with you, because you got here in eighty three the same time that Luke did, h and you you knew all about all the optimism because I think you had to show somebody had a show with them, right, did you guys now?
Speaker 3: But somebody else? Yeah, So he was optimal to get your tickets.
Speaker 2: Now, they were pretty bad in that first year because you know, Ben Lindsay didn't leave them anything. But how was it back there in terms of enthusiasm?
Speaker 3: I think because of him.
Speaker 6: He was such a figurehead and a symbol of the basketball program that there was hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I think again, I got I was lucky. I got here literally that that year, just you know a few months after he was hired. So I kind of just stepped right into it. And I'd heard about the snowed in the years, and I'd heard about some of the you know, the bob elly at times, and that whole key of course.
Speaker 3: Because it wasn't too far, it wasn't too long far a long no.
Speaker 6: But there were you know, there were a few down years where you know, they weren't. And again it was so different because I'm coming from California and knew very little about the U of A athletically. I mean, they were you know, the games weren't on all the time. They were not ever, I didn't know anybody really. Football was really pretty good actually that year as I was moving here that fall. But like they were saying, with basketball, we had no idea what to expect. I mean, I don't think anybody could have predicted that this would have happened and it would have sustained for all these years.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, and there's one reason why. And I was loot because he had he commanded that respect that got him. He got him to play hard for them, bade them believe that this is possible, didn't leave after having a chance or two to do it. And and here we are.
Speaker 3: You know, did you winning be you know, winning just begets winning.
Speaker 6: I mean he had success, and I'm sure he got resources. He was able to travel and recruit and go get players. We used to joke like, okay, every year they you know, guys would go to the NBA or leave or whatever, and you know he would just say, Okay, I need a six seven forward who can do this.
Speaker 3: I mean he would literally just go fill that roster with what he needed.
Speaker 2: That's a great example, dude, because that's what he was brilliant at. Because, uh, and he didn't always go after a five star guy. I mean now everyone is consumed with the five star, four star. We need these guys, No, you don't. You can coach them up, you can play them, especially in this basketball world. I think Tommy does that. He develops them, despite what you read on you know, when he doesn't get Arenas or whomever. But but but Luke did this where if you needed a spot to feel and you felt that he was going to be part of the team, he went and got him. Or you know what I'm saying. Kind of like this piece, it was a puzzle piece.
Speaker 6: Definitely, And then when you looked at it, I bet if we were to like kind of start breaking down rosters from you know, over maybe a fifteen year period, the players were kind of similar.
Speaker 2: Like he'd get us six six, I'll give you, I'll give you Iceress Mills. Okay, the next one is going to be You're exactly right. I started a nine ninety one current at full time and I'll give you the ninety sixteen. I'll give you the ninety six after the after the first round loss of the Miami of Ohio and they had already been to the final four, right, so they got Reggie. I'll give you the lineup Reggie who was that point guard guy. He couldn't shoot, but he was a point guard guy. Distributed Joe mcclan, Corey Williams, Joseph Blair, Ben Davis Ray os so every and they're all kind of not tall, six nine ish. Michael Dickerson came into as a backup Miles Simon freshman. They were freshman at the time. So they all these kind of pieces fit to what he needed because he went remember with the end of the twin Towers, and he realized or the three something it was the three by Whims, and he said, you know what, big is overrated. Yeah, I'm gonna go small with the Damon's and the Kolids and the Reggies and these guys.
Speaker 3: You got a call. But you know what I'm saying, it fit. It all fit.
Speaker 2: Tommy's doing that now, and like you said, it's gonna take some time, and it does.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 18: Who's this, hey, Steven Dave, how we're doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I was, Uh, I was. Yeah the game.
Speaker 22: I had no doubt they were gonna win last night. But I was on the edge of my chair and I just I watched that game from start to finish, and the Houston game because I didn't go, and I just just by watching it, you could tell the two guys just were M I A the two or the two good player. Y' waka was missing an action? Was he must have been in foul trouble? Yeahston and then Bradley was pretty much M I A. And but they both played like lights out last night.
Speaker 2: There were oh yeah yeah. I think Saturday against the Houston d were just gassed.
Speaker 6: I mean walk I had three fouls. He only played like he didn't score and he was after fourteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Guy that I'm sure you can go back in games in your memory of the performances like Collids against Michigan. I'll never forget.
Speaker 5: Uh No, I.
Speaker 2: Forgot v Star's game against against Houston. He was gassed and I think he playing out of his mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 22: I just think that this this league is really going to help us in and going forward.
Speaker 18: In the NCAAs because it's just tough. It really is a minefield.
Speaker 6: I think just as a fan too, the games are really exciting, you know. I mean, there's no gotta go to Oregon State. What's going to happen there? Yeah, you know, going to win by thirty. I mean these games have been pretty competitive, almost every one of them.
Speaker 2: If if if anybody is disappointed in what they've seen to this point, they're just not paying attention.
Speaker 18: Okay, now I gotta do your request. Go off on.
Speaker 22: Gave one good thing, one bad thing.
Speaker 18: Okay. What the good thing was? Literally twenty years ago, I saw you at a function in a church I attended at.
Speaker 5: You know that church?
Speaker 18: Remember remember that church right across from Westward.
Speaker 22: Look, we were your Sunday night deal.
Speaker 18: Oh yeah, it might have been a July fourth thing. But we had like a there was like a meal, you know, they had food and everything that was I think your mom she went there or something.
Speaker 22: That's why you were there.
Speaker 3: We had friends that went there.
Speaker 18: Okay, okay, okay, that.
Speaker 10: Was good.
Speaker 18: Here's the bad one.
Speaker 22: Because I'm gonna call him Dave like Larry King, but a different thing because he goes to Howard how Dary you say to Howard, what what's the point?
Speaker 5: That's what you said? One?
Speaker 14: What the point?
Speaker 18: I still think that, okay, you know, but whatever. It's just like Rush Limbaugh talking.
Speaker 22: To belittling Larry King, when Larry King would say to the customer, to the caller.
Speaker 18: What's that question? What's the question? Like an idiot? But all right, I'll let you guys go.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, Howard? What was this point? Do I remember that? I do remember being there for July fourth. There was some kind of a party.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 6: It was great because Westward looking those years used to have an amazing fireworks show. Oh yeah, we used just go parking this parking lot right across the street and they were like right over your head.
Speaker 2: Howard met me, he said, yeah, I remember back in the day we had a card show. You want to come to car What the hell? What?
Speaker 6: It's amazing the impact you have on people. Sometimes you forget about that. I like it when because we used to do like the thing called love of reading, which is like now right now and this this week. And I did that for many many years. And then later I'd meet these college kids like you read to my class and you start thinking how old?
Speaker 3: How old? Yeah? How long ago was that?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Do you let me?
Speaker 3: Let me ask you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask you a weird question because I saw this on the internet today and I guess I might ask my boy Coke here and Jay and I talked about this Amran again when some people would pass Who was your boyhood crush? What your boyhood crushed? Like the famous the famous movie star? Oh, I saw it all today and it was like, obviously it'll kind of tight. Tell me where you like the time you grew up, like, you know, tell me the era.
Speaker 3: Like who I liked? Yeah, you just you know what was it? Who is yours?
Speaker 22: Uh?
Speaker 2: Well, Lavington John But you know there was Ka Welch and there was these these you know, I'm you know, twelve.
Speaker 3: Years ald Jane Fond it was pretty hot for years. Wow, I even think, oh yeah, because she was like Barbarilla. Yeah, no, that was out sixty nine is I think sixteen seventy? Watch watch watch some of her earlier movies. She was she was a beauty. Yeah, she still looks pretty good for what is she about? Ninety about eighty three, eighty three ds like that? Yeah, what she did? Jazz or size stuff.
Speaker 6: Comyanne Keaton was fun to watch in her younger years. And The Godfather, Yeah, you know, like in nineteen seventy ish twenty one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Kobe, I would have to say Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell, even though they're wait, no no, no, no, no no no girl cars. Oh hmm, that's a tough one. Rachel Addison because I was a big friends fan.
Speaker 2: Oh Rachel no, yeah, yeah yeah yeah, and Rachel Jennifer anis Jennifer Yeah, Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: That's a good that's a good collection. Yeah, yeah, I got yeah, put me on the spot there. I gotta think about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I was saying I was going through something on Twitter's depth. Oh that's gotta be cool to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when cal Wels died and then living, you know we talked about Yeah, we were like ten twelve years old. You're thinking, you know whatever, all right, gotta go, gotta go, Thank you, Kobe. We'll get through the first hour and then come back with breaking news, right, maybe take some more calls and then we're gonna get to Evan my cow walked.
Speaker 3: Also