Speaker 1: Good Morning, Happy hump Day, Welcome in. It is Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas I expected, had no clue really what was going to happen, but I did expect the jury to find Brooks Howck and Joseph laws and guilty, which they did yesterday. What I didn't really know what to expect was and I didn't really give it much thought, but the reaction from the community of Barchtown yesterday, as you could tell that community was happy to see Crystal Rodgers family get justice and to get some closure in that situation. But really it's one one big step. It's a big step, and maybe this one big step leads to other steps taken to hold others accountable for the notable homicides that have taken place in Barchtown. But if you are somebody from Barchtown, I'm sure you're proud to be from there, and clearly what went on with Crystal Rogers and Officer ellis Crystal Rogers father Tommy.
Speaker 2: That doesn't represent the community. That doesn't mean that you know.
Speaker 1: But I think if you care about where you're from, which most people I would say, do you don't like the idea of people thinking of your town and in those being the things that come to mind. You know, for example, here in Louisville, love Louisville born and raised, don't plan on living anywhere else. There's a lot to love about this place. But for a while, and I think we're slowly making progress. When people outside of Louisville think of Louisville, they think of not so great things like the Breonna Taylor situation, and unfortunately many other not so great stories about our city, some more lighthearted than others. But I mean, this may sound silly, but the arrest of can't think of the golfer's name while am I blanking on his name? The golfer who got arrested here in Louisville. Scheffler, Yeah, Scotti Scheffler. What a brain fart on my end. So again, like that doesn't represent the entire city of Louisville, or even the entire LMPD.
Speaker 2: But you know, you'd.
Speaker 1: Prefer to have stories about your city, your town be positive and not necessarily negative. So again, I don't want to indicate that this proves that the people of Bargetown are good people, but I imagine they probably are hoping that there's resolution with the rest of these murders and that slowly but surely, yes, people will always remember that this happened, but it won't be one of the first things that come to mind. I mean, Bargetown in twenty twelve was named by the USA today is the most beautiful small town in America. And it is beautiful. I mean, it is vibrant in the Bourbon community, some states, the Bourbon capital the world. You've got Mold Kentucky home. Their downtown area is beautiful, something out of a movie. Kind of takes you back in time. So again, I had no real expectation as far as what the people of Bargtown were expecting and what they would do, but you could tell yesterday was a big day for that community and certainly a good day all so real quick the case itself, I mean mean, when you when you consider the fact that this was mostly just I mean, this was largely circumstantial. Now you did have consistent and damning evidence that was circumstantial, but again there and you also had a test the testimony of the co conspirator here, Lawson, that was that was huge, and that was something that we knew was going to be instrumental and then being able to bring the charges and of course take this thing to trial and get the get the verdict that they want. But if you go back and look at some data of other cases that are that are similar when it comes to just what type of evidence you had, I mean, it's not uncommon to see somebody end up being found not guilty. I mean this is a while back, but Casey Anthony, you remember that trial. She was accused of murdering her two year old daughter and prosecution post the prosecution focused mostly just on her behavior after her daughter's disappearance, including lying to the police partying. I think she ended up getting like tattoos and stuff the night that her daughter was I guess supposedly killed, and her daughter went missing for thirty one days before it was reported. Yet there was no cause of death determine from the remains and no DNA evidence.
Speaker 2: That tied her to the murders.
Speaker 1: So despite all of that heavy circumstantial evidence, they found her not guilty. So I guess I think most of us, and I can't speak for anybody but by myself, but it just felt as if the expectation here was that the jury was going to find Brooks how Can his accomplice lost and guilty, and they did. But it is interesting for me to just see that this is not I mean, it never felt like an open and shut case because again the defense did their job of reiterating as many times as possible. There's no physical evidence, this is all circumstantial.
Speaker 2: This is all you know. I'm not saying this is true.
Speaker 1: But they alleged that they became guilty in as far as the court of public opinion because of the coverage of this trial, and the cops may be out to get it, which is really laughable if you think about it. But a guilty verdict yesterday, and it didn't take long for them to get there, and it also didn't take long for them to recommend a life sentence for Brooks Howck.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about this a little.
Speaker 1: Bit more come up later on, because as far as what happens next, I think a charge is potentially coming or an indictment coming for Rosemary Howck and Nick how Gott. That wouldn't shock me at all, and we'll get to that a little bit later on. Also, what I want to get to coming up on the other side after we get an update on traffic and weather. The new JCPS superintendent what a thankless job. And I am rooting for this gentleman to succeed. And we'll tell you what he had to say here recently as he visited his first JCPS school earlier this week. All right, an update on traving weather coming your way right here right now on news radio eight forty whas can a new leader turn the page for JCPS after many years of I guess what we'll call transportation turmoil.
Speaker 2: It's seven to seventeen here a Kentucky.
Speaker 1: It's morning news on news radio eight forty whas nit coffee with you. And the new JCPS superintendent is doctor Brian Yearwood. And he stepped in and was hired recently as Marty Polio is on his way out. And I think it was Yearwood, Yeah, Yearwood and others and they visited one of the schools earlier this week in JCPS. I'm not sure which elementary school it was, but talk to the media afterward, and as you could expect, there was some talk about transportation and it sounds as if doctor Yearwood is laser focused on transportation. And again, if you know the history and even if it's not, even if you didn't have the fiasco that you've had really a couple of years ago being the big one, and it's never been a smooth situation seemingly as far as getting kids to school and the bus situation and all that, So makes total sense to emphasizes that being something you're very focused on. But he met with the district's team to ensure that six hundred plus bus drivers are going to be ready for the first day of school, which will be on August the seventh. So it's a promising sign that right out of the gate, this guy is at least well aware of what needs to be the focus. But I feel like this is one of those things where if you mess this up and it may not even be your direct fault, right it's just gonna be hard to come back from because right now it just feels like there's and it's not fair because there's so many people at JCPS that do a great job that have nothing to do with issues that the school system has had. And honestly, I mean, even if there is legitimate blame to go towards whoever not only maybe an individual, but maybe multiple people responsible for some of the issues. I mean, I don't think anybody's out here trying to have these situations take place. Now again, you've got to be held accountable. So I'm rooting for doctor Brian Yearwood to although it seems almost possible to envision but a really smooth first day where not that you have a perfect day where there's no issue at all, but a smooth day all around when it comes to just getting kids to school. I mean, this is the biggest school system in our state, and man, I really feel like this is a thankless job, just because no matter what you do, you're facing criticism. And I mean, Marty poyl can tell you firsthand what comes with this job. But I mean, let's just be honest. When it comes to getting kids to school, that's like the first step, right and having a successful school system getting them there, and that of course became a national story here in Louisville a couple of years ago, and I doubt we'll see something quite like that ever again, to be honest with you, but I just I can see it if it ends up being a day where even objective folks look back and say, yeah, they messed that up.
Speaker 2: It wasn't perfect.
Speaker 1: We weren't asking for perfection, but man, they could have done a lot better. I think people are going to be done with this guy, which is unfair. So I'm rooting for him. I hope it works out. We'll talk a little bit more about this later on because there's a new software they're utilizing. And if i'm if I'm doctor Yearwood, I'm not going to be joining the IT tech team or anything like that, but I would know how important it is to get this as smooth as possible. That I would I would know how to use the software myself, front and back. But right now, if you want to help out, meaning you you do your part as a parent making sure you have all the information that you have, you can go to jcpsfirst day dot com. They've got a bus teller within that system at JCPS first day dot com and you can verify your child's bus stop.
Speaker 2: So meet him halfway, help him get.
Speaker 1: Off to a good start here, because again, it's a thankless job, and I don't envy him. All right, We've got another update of trapping and weather coming your way. Also, we'll get another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald, So stick around right here on news Radio eight forty Whas It is in thirty five year Kentucky and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas nit Coffee with you. Thanks for hanging out with us, Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. So a new report shows that twenty seven percent of Americans have a side hustle. And maybe you don't know what a side hustle is, I'm assuming you do, but a way in which you can do a job on the side that is not your everyday gig where you make a living, but you can just make some extra money. And with the economy being what it is, I feel like that's never been more needed than it is right now. But that twenty seven percent is actually lower than what it used to be, despite seemingly they're being more of a need for side hustles, just for people to live a little bit more comfortably. So current side hustles that are becoming really really popular as far as just as that, and I'm sure this change is often but mobile car washing services. So if you've got like your own side hustle of being an auto detailer, you can at the time as of now, you can make some money. There's low startup costs and high convenience when it comes to just people would rather do that than maybe go through And I mean, I feel like if you were good at what you do, you will always find work because people want their car taking care of. And if you can do it for less than maybe a company that does it as a corporation, and it's just a side hustle for you to make a little bit of money, then I get it. This is something that I was not aware of. But selling stock photos so you can take photos that you own and instead of paying professional photographers to go make stock photos for these companies that need photos for content, I'm sure if somebody's just doing that as a side hustle. And the phones we have in our pocket, the camera on them is amazing. So that's one I wouldn't have thought of, but makes total sense. Crypto trading is one of the popular side hustles right now in America. And then pet sitting that surprises me a little bit, but I think people will always want their pets to be taken care of, and now people are earning money to go watch your pet for a while, and then the other is freelancing food and grocery delivery. So I guess you can pay somebody less than what you would pay Kroger or Walmart when they bring when they bring your groceries. Now, one of the reasons may be why you're seeing the percentage dropping as far as those that do have a side hustle that brings them money that helps them live more comfortably, is because it's become harder to monetize certain things. Like I never did this because I never believed you could make money, but apparently you could taking online surveys. I mean, I think you'd have to. To me, it always just seem like a scam, Like nobody they're really going to pay you to take a survey, And I guess they would, but you'd have to do a lot of them for it to be kind of worth your while. But this is what used to be. I mean, this was my side hustle that really was just something I love doing, and then I ended up I could make a little money doing and then it turned into me kind of launching that into the career that I have now. But blogging for ad revenue, I mean that became a real challenge. That was ten years ago whenever I stopped sort of prioritizing that. But she used to be able to if you had good traffic, you could make legitimate money. And now it's just nowadays when it comes to digital dollars, there's just not as much there.
Speaker 2: And then this is one that I was not aware of, but it makes sense. Uber and lyft.
Speaker 1: It's still a thing, but in a lot of regions it's no longer viewed as really worth doing if in fact you were doing it for extra income and it taking up a little bit of your time. So right now there's a this is a this is a report from Killerstartups dot com that drivers have recently reported that after gas, maintenance and taxes, their hourly rate dropped to about fourteen dollars an hour all things considered, which barely covered the costs.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure.
Speaker 1: There are drivers that have done in a long time, certainly in areas where it's in high demand, and it can be not only a good living, not only a cito, so it can maybe be a good living, but I feel like it certainly has become harder to do it in certain areas, Like I would love to know if you are an uber driver or a lift driver and it has not only become a side hustle, but something that you did at one point maybe that made you a little bit of money to where you felt like this is worth doing. How much has that changed with gas prices? Although they're down now as we speak, they've they've gotten lower and seemed to be training in the right direction, but that hadn't always been the case. And really, again, the cost of everything is expensive. John, you used to do the door dashing right.
Speaker 2: With the food? Was it uber Eat? It was a grub Hub grub Hub back during COVID, Now was that did you feel like?
Speaker 1: I'm sure there were days where it was clearly worthwhile and then days where it's like, yeah, you know what, I guess I made a little bit of money, But I don't know.
Speaker 3: Think that was great about when I did grub Hub is that you could schedule a time frame and even if you didn't get any orders, you would get paid for the amount of time that you signed up to do stuff for. So there were times where it was worth it, But there are also may be times where you're doing, you know, a whole bunch and maybe you feel like you're not getting any money worth out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like this is going to be a This is going to be a very fast moving thing as far as just you got to strike whenever there's the demand for it and you can make money, because it seems like those things just don't last as long anymore. As far as just things that that if you can provide that service on the side, somebody will pay you. I mean, again, there's some that are timeless, but again there's others that after a while, you giving your time to do it doesn't make you as much money. Or again, AI could do a lot of things now that people used to do.
Speaker 2: As a side hustle.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got an update of traving weather coming your way right here on news.
Speaker 2: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: So I am early on in month two here in the saddle as the host of Kentucky and Its Morning News, which still kind of doesn't seem real. But one thing I've learned is that right now, and maybe this changes at some point, it's not it's not been common to see a big news item that has general interest that again it's a national story, and regardless of political affiliation, the vast majority seems to be on the same page, and that.
Speaker 2: Is what we have here. It's rare, but the Epstein situation.
Speaker 1: So yesterday at a press conference, there was a question asked that wasn't wasn't for Donald Trump. It was actually for someone else, but Trump wanted to step in and I guess question while the question was being asked.
Speaker 2: And here here's what that sounded like.
Speaker 1: I just send your.
Speaker 3: Are you still talking about Jeffrey Epstein?
Speaker 2: This guy's been talked about for years.
Speaker 3: You're asking we have Texas, we have this, we have all of the things, and are people still talking about this guy?
Speaker 1: This great?
Speaker 2: That is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Well, it really is not unbelievable at all. And I don't say that to criticize Trump. I mean, I'm not surprised by his comments there, but we also live in a world where people just say things knowing it's not true. Even if you think it's unbelievable, nobody can be surprised that the recent decision to just tell us, yeah, it's it's kind of over. You know, when it comes to when it comes to transparency and accountability, we don't it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 1: So, I mean that was the expectation. I mean, I think if you ask anybody that's being honest, what would the temperature be in America here if in fact we got what we got earlier this week, which is that it's essentially over and there's no new list, or there's no list, there's no I mean, basically there's nothing left here. We've got Epstein, who we don't really know what happened, but they tell us that he did in fact kill himself. And of course he was involved in a sex trafficking ring that had thousands of victims, many of whom were minor, and obviously he ended up. I mean, throughout that trial, testimony, core document, the investigation overall, I mean, it confirmed the reality of what happened. But now you just have I mean, what it stems from is the frustration from those who look at this as a cover up or incomplete justice, because these things just don't add up. How could this have gone on? And it play out the way that it did during this trial after Epstein was charged in twenty nineteen, and everything play out the way that it did since then, including comments just a few months ago about a document being on a desk and now said document doesn't exist. So as delusional as that as that seems that it's an insult. It's an insult to our intelligence to expect people to just believe that. It's Also, though, if you think about it, it's not the easiest situation here, because you could be you could be tied to Epstein and have nothing to do with the awful things he was involved in, or even any knowledge of it. I mean, that's pretty clear. But also think about this, for those who just say, I mean, what do they think, we're stupid? I think it's a pretty stupid thing to assume that there'd be like a physical notepad where they're documenting for what I mean, like keeping it to be That just seems I mean, who would do that? That seems insane to think about. But anyways, we're all at least united on one front that this is nonsense.
Speaker 2: Nobody believes what they've told us in regards to this situation.
Speaker 1: But I doubt we get any legitimate updates, But that won't keep people from talking about this, probably until the end of time. All Right, we got an update of traffick and whether coming your way. Bobby Ellis will tell us if we've got any improvement when it comes to the traffick situation on the waters, and we'll get an update from Matt Melosovich on the forecast for today, and then Scott Fitzgerald back in for another sports update, So stick with us right here on news Radio eight forty WHS