Speaker 1: Our number four here on a Thursday Shawn Salisbury Show Sports Talk seventy ninety Astros and Mariners back to action tomorrow night in Seattle. The Open Championship on going over in Northern Ireland and it is currently a three way tie between Jacob Scove, Olison haltong Lee and also Matthew Fitzpatrick all at four under. But as promised, our good buddy Matt Moscona joining us here in Atlanta at SEC Media Days. Scone, I know you have Shawn on with you every week during the football season, so we just figured it's time to be able to repay the favor here and have you on with us.
Speaker 2: Love it man, always happy to visit, happy to see you. This is also a weird thing you were going through just there the I guess the second half of the baseball season about to start the Open Championship. Dan, I haven't been outside in like four days. You know, you come to this thing and just you're in this giant convention all in hotel. You forget the world is still happening outside of this event. It's just it's a four day avalanche, man. But it's cool to be here.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say aside from getting text messages pictures of my dogs. That's about the outside world that I know. You know, I know me and Sean want to get into some football with you. But the Stros picked Ethan frye yeah, a couple of days ago. Guy that part of the national title team. I mean, I know he DHD mostly with LSU this year, but what are the Astros getting.
Speaker 2: So he is a fascinating prospect because first of all, he has a big league body. You're talking about a guy that's sixty five six', six super strong and really. ATHLETIC i mean he he has the physical makeup of a big. Leaguer the weird thing about fry is he came TO lsu as a, catcher played a little bit of, outfield was injured a year, ago and this year was just your right HANDED. DH i, mean you guys know, this like there's just not a premium on right handed power hitters that don't play a. Position so scouts have never Seen ethan fry play a. Position they don't know what the glove. Is so it's fascinating that The astros gave, him AS i was, told about a million dollars and you, know he got overslot to sign for an organization that doesn't typically do. That it was a very surprising pick to See fry go where he, did AND lsu had a very nice nil revs share offer for him to come. Back but this is a guy who showed this year when he was healthy the ability to hit not only for power but for. AVERAGE i think he landed on thirteen. Homers he didn't really settle in as the full TIME. Dh they had sort of a platoon early in the, season whether they were facing the lefty or, alrighty but he just. Emerged he LED lsu and hitting this year and proved that the ability hit for average was there as well as ability to hit for. Power so super high Upside. DAN i just don't know where he, Plays, like is he a first BASE? Dh did they give him some run in the? Outfield that's WHAT i have to figure out the farm. System but he's got plus power and he's a great athlete who can really. Run he's an intriguing prospect just BECAUSE i don't know where he's going to play in the.
Speaker 3: Field, Maddie i'm curious about. This what's the with that? BROTHER i look forward to our getting back at it with you each week in this college AND nfl season start and thanks for joining. US i know you're all over the map working your ass. Off but back to, That, uh you look at, him you see. HIM i don't know enough about it other than the, Size but you talk about the. Potential what's the ceiling and floor five, years ten years from? Now?
Speaker 2: YET i mean the floor is he doesn't play a, position the ability to hit for average doesn't, translate and he's he's he's not in the game.
Speaker 3: Anymore right, so but that's. POTENT i mean that that that floor that has the potential to, happen is what you're.
Speaker 2: Saying, YEAH i mean you have he is a super high, ceiling really low floor type prospect right. NOW i think that HE i think that the swing and miss was bad a year. Ago he eliminated that largely from his game this. YEAR i think the ability to hit for average will translate if he finds a spot in the. Outfield AND i think what he could be is some of these power hitting guys who professional teams just sort of tried to hide and. Left think your right handed power, bats Think Albert, bell Think Manny. Ramirez i'm not saying he's gonna be A hall Of. Famer But i'm just saying a power bat who you got to put him, somewhere and so you stick him in left and he's athletic enough to do. IT i think that's his. Ceiling he can be a ten Year big leaguer who plays left field and you, know hits in the middle of somebody's line up in, clubs you, know thirty homers a, year, LIKE i think that's his, ceiling which is really, exciting Which i'm sure The. Astros why The astros were intrigued took, him it's just have not seen him play a. Position so can he learn to play left field?
Speaker 1: Again Matt moscon AT espn one oh four to five joining us here In atlanta AT sec Media, day and let's switch over to some, football BECAUSE i know on a daily basis you talk a team that we've got on our STATION lsu and a lot of hype around this team this. Year you remember twenty nineteen and you remember it was another Year Joe burrow hearing about this new, offense all of those different types of, things but it was. Unproven Brian kelly's got the. Results can he prove it this year for this.
Speaker 2: Team, yeah it's so. FUN i was THINKING i was telling someone of that. Story so When burrow was here before the twenty nineteen, season remember like at that POINT lsu was not known as a quarterback factor that they were still THE i mean that Was danny Yett ling and it's where they went to. Die, yeah it was a. Graveyard And burrow came here and even in Eighteen burrow's first, year he went the entire month Of october without throwing a touchdown, Pass like it was very hit or. Miss and he came here to media days and he made a lot of headlines because he, said we know we got AND i think we'll score forty fifty points a game this, year and everyone kind of like rolled their eyes and, laugh like THE lsu quarterback said they're going to score four. Game, well they went on had the greatest offensive season in the history of the. SPORT i don't know that this team is going to do, that but they do return a fifth year senior And garrett Nus, meyer who is the leading returning passer in college. Football he's the only four thousand yard passer from a season to go back in college football this. Year so we know the potentials there With garrett's got to eliminate some of the. Mistakes but, guys the other big, thing aside from Nus meyer RETURNING lsu Went ham in the transfer. PORTAL i think this is the other thing that a lot of people maybe are learning this week that they didn't. Realize they signed eighteen guys in the portal and all of them Were power five. Starters some of them Are all conference. GUYS Aj halsey from The university Of houston was All big twelve safety led the nation. Interceptions they're all in Like Ole miss And Ohio state were a year. Ago they're all in this year financially in the portal with this roster to try to build a championship around Nus, meyer and the playoff is the. Baseline like ten and two in the playoff is the baseline expectation for this team this.
Speaker 3: Year, matty if he Doesn't Brian kelly doesn't get His And i'm big On. NUSSMEYER i think that veteran will teams. That look What Ohio state did getting that, veteran even though they got it through the transfer, Portal look what it. Does AND i think it was a wise move for nus to come back AND i love his. Game now that being, said with all this great, ability they went out and Got how hot is? This and the pressure obviously grows For Brian. Kelly what's the oh and? Three since he's been AT lsu and starters to start a, season it doesn't get any easier this year to start a, season and now with the playoff expanded to twelve teams and the money he, makes how hot is the seat if he doesn't make a? Playoff?
Speaker 2: Yeah see IT'S i, mean there's two ways to answer that. Question it's what will the temperature and baton rouge? Be and people will be Furious AND i think a lot of people right who are maybe fence sitters On Brian kelly waiting to see if he can break, through would fall to the other side on. Him but, Realistically, sean IF lsu were to Fire Brian kelly after this, season they would owe him fifty one.
Speaker 3: Million dollars money alone says you, can't, right.
Speaker 2: Not only that they, won't but literally showing like they. Can't it's NOT lsu is not a poverty, program but it's not a place Like TEXAS a AND m that could stroke the seventy five million dollar check For jimbo ten times over and never blink, Right like the money isn't there to pay a fifty one million dollar buyout to a. Coach so the Way i've said, it, man is they gave him a ten year, deal ninety five million, dollars ninety percent of it guaranteed for better or. WORSE lsu And Brian kelly are financially bound for a, decade so they've got to figure out a way to make it. Work the quarterbacks there this, year the investment is there this, year and the roster they have to be in the playoff if they're. Not the problem that they would get to is in twenty twenty, six you lose, us you lose all these. TRANSFERS i think it's realistic to expect they whatever they do in twenty, FIVE i think you expect a regression in twenty, six and that's when they might start looking, At, okay what's our what's our exit?
Speaker 1: Strategy, right AS i Mentioned matt, MOSCONA espn will four or five joining, us and we HAVE lsu on the station AND lsu fans listen to the station living In, houston and if they ARE lsu, fans well they probably know who you. Are you're gonna be In houston here pretty, soon aren't? You?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man a week From, Monday so the twenty eighth will be at The, Rustic CAN i? Say?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah at The rustic in downtown for my show to be AN lsu alumni. Event so Any Houston tigers that are hanging, out, man you want to come see, Us we'll be there for the radio show from three to Six central at The rustic In houston On monday the twenty.
Speaker 3: Eighth, Hey, maddy before you, watch go ahead? Finish i'm? Sorry oh?
Speaker 2: Sorry so, Yeah, Okay then we're gonna go watch The Astros nationals Because Dylan cruz and The nationals will be in the take on The.
Speaker 3: Strows that's ALL i. Go you guys will if you haven't heard, it you'll love it and go see him in. Person that'd be Awesome and it's always a pleasure to have you. On before we let you, Go, matt who's the best team in college football in your? Mind if you had to make a bet, tomorrow who would it be?
Speaker 2: On talent? Wise i'd probably Say. Texas BUT i have a giant question About, texas LIKE i do with most of the teams who are projected at the, top and it's a. QUARTERBACK i, MEAN i understand all the hype around ARCH i understand all the physical, ability but until you do, IT i don't know if you can do. It so the you, know the best ROSTER i would, SAY i think Is, texas BUT i think it's really pretty wide open because it's not too far after that THAT i would look at AT lsu because of what they did in the transfer. PORTAL i think it'd be fascinating to see how many teams THE sec gets in this year Because i'm not sold On. Georgia i'm Not georgia with a new. Quarterback fifty four percent Of georgia's roster our first or second year, players extremely young team this year That kirby's got team that was thirtieth in the country in total. Defense last year they sort of. Regressed they were fifteenth in THE sec and rushing. Offense i'm NOT i Think georgia isn't. There who knows WHAT bama has with with Ty. Simpson it just feels like all the teams that everyone expects to be at the top of this, giant glaring question market quarterback EXCEPT, lsu which is WHY i think they're going to be in that conversation for.
Speaker 3: Sure, matt appreciate the.
Speaker 1: Time Man, Again Matt, MOSCONA espn ONE o four five joining us here on The On Saulisbury, show and look forward to seeing you a what a week From Mondays, Monday, yeah twenty, ago so we'll definitely drop.
Speaker 3: By this hered he always good to talk to, you. BROTHER i appreciate.
Speaker 2: You Thanks, sean you, bet Thanks, Dan Thanks. Bello.
Speaker 1: Ya there we, Go Matt moscona hopping in with us FROM espn ONE o four five In Baton. Rouge some interesting things to kick around from that conversation At sean and also what we talked about a little bit earlier with The. Texans got a little bit of a note on. That as we continue on, Here me And, Atlanta Sean intrepoley back In houston at Our iHeart Radio Houston, studios we continue Here Sports talk seven ninety