Speaker 1: As success spoiled the Dead. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I was noticing the other night, for instance, that when I'm going through pistachios opening pistachios.
Speaker 1: That the hard to open ones.
Speaker 2: I don't bother with them anymore. Who's got time?
Speaker 1: Good point. We're totally bumming rock and roll. I mean, I'll leave you.
Speaker 2: You're reading Little Hands this, It's time to rock and roll. I totally booked. Welcome back to book Don Rock conversations with authors, musicians, and insiders revealing the stories behind classic rock's greatest songs, albums and artists. And before we get started, if you're watching this episode, you're seeing this lovely grateful Dead shirt that I'm wearing here, and I picked it up at old Glory dot com. If you want to get some great classic rock merch there for fifteen percent off. Find something you like and use the promo code Booked on Rock and you'll get fifteen percent off. Just click the link in the show notes or visit booked on Rock dot com and head to my deals. We are going to talk about a song. Now, this shirt is about Ship of Fools, but we're going to talk about a different song. We're going to talk about touch of Gray. Our guest is John Brackett. He's the author of Touch of Gray or How the Grateful Dead Became Pop Stars. Welcome to the podcast, John.
Speaker 1: Thank you so very much. It's great to be here. Eric.
Speaker 2: This is a question I love asking Dead fans because the answer often depends on when they became a fan. Do you remember the first time you heard Touch of Gray and what was your initial response to it.
Speaker 1: I don't think I remember the very first time, although I'm very aware of when the video took over and when I would see that on MTV and all of the related video programs at the time. At the time, I thought it was just another old rock band trying to make a quick buck by coming back. You know, I was kind of part of this jaded Gen X generation that was listening to kind of alternative rock and things of that nature, and familiar with the Dead, you know. I'd heard the tunes on classic rock radio, but you know, throughout much of the eighties you didn't really hear about them if you weren't you know, a dead head, if you didn't really follow them, and so it seemed like, oh, here comes another band, you know that's trying to kind of cash in at the time, so wasn't really ahead, you know, until much later. So going back and looking at this time and kind of reevaluating, you know, kind of how this song kind of gets interpreted. You know, I think it kind of really informed, you know, the book and kind of why I wrote the book.
Speaker 2: And it is interesting when you ask each dead fan when they first heard the song and how long they were a fan, because that will change used the response. I mean, it's a divisive song for somebody like me. It's the first song that I really took to as a kid. It was fifteen, and then years later I got into the rest of the catalog, but I got to admit it's it's a great song. It just it pulled me in, like so many.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and you were one of you know, tens of thousands of people who got on the bus, you know, at that time. And you know, I think one of the points in the book is like, yes, it's about this time, and it's about that moment in the summer of eighty seven, but it's much much larger than that. I mean, this song really kind of transformed the prevailing historical trajectory of the band, and in some ways helped to kind of lay the foundation for you know, kind of what we see today. I mean, this band is, you know, bigger than ever. And you know a point of the book is that, Yeah, this was the moment, This was the moment that has shifted and you know, to get to this spot now.
Speaker 2: After you read your account of the December fifteen, nineteen eighty six performance, I watched it and I get goosebumps hearing that crowd erupped when Jerry sings I will get by, I Will survive. Take us back to that night and explain why that particular performance was so powerful following Jerry's health crisis and in light of what was about to happen with the song, because it hadn't been released yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, precisely. I mean, Touch of Gray had been in the Dead's repertoire since nineteen eighty two, and this was a song that was familiar to fans. As you pointed out, it had not appeared on any recordings yet, any official recordings. I mean, the band hadn't released any recordings since nineteen eighty one. The live records Dead Set and Reckoning then released a studio album since since go to Heaven in nineteen eighty and so fans were familiar with the song. It was a popular tune. It was, you know, many ways, kind of one of the fastest songs in the Dead's live repertoire throughout much of the eighties. But nothing really stood out about it, you know, it was, you know, like I said, fans enjoyed it and it was a good time, but nothing really stood out. Jerry got sick in the summer of nineteen eighty six and was very, very ill, and it was very touch and go for a while, and fans, the band, the entire Grateful Dead organization, you know, had to well, the band and the fans organization. They were concerned. They didn't really you know, we're quite sure what was going to happen. The band had been living by making money from touring, and when Jerry got sick, that money stopped, so they weren't quite sure of what the future of the organization would be. And when it was finally announced that the band would be returning to playing live again in December of nineteen eighty six, obviously fans were elated. And then, you know, when the band took the stage and the very first song that they played was touch of Gray. You know, as you heard, I mean, the crowd lost it, you know, and you know, as I described in the book, you know, the response. There were a number of reasons for the response. I mean, just the pure joy of seeing the band again, you know, in light of everything that happened in the previous you know, few months, but also the fact they kind of knew what to expect in the song. And what I mean by that is that they knew that Jerry was going to sing I Will Survive and they were just waiting for that moment. You can hear it on the recordings. Every time the chorus comes up, you know, the response gets more and more, you know, raucous for.
Speaker 2: Those who may not be aware. So he was in a diabetic coma. He almost he almost died.
Speaker 1: Yes, his heart stopped when he was in the hospital too. He had been given vallum he was allergic to that. So, yes, he was in a diabetic coma. It was on dialysis. I mean, he was in very very bad shape, probably much worse than we kind of know. And so yeah, to see him back on stage, you know, six months later, you know, it was pretty remarkable. Well, I mean, he'd actually played in October. He'd played earlier with the Jerry Garcia Band. So remarkable recovery. But the band also had to get back on the road. They had to start making money again. And when they're hearing the song, right, I will survive, the fans are responding to that. But the fans, you know, they also knew at the very end of the tune, you know, the lyrics shift and they shift that we will survive. And you know, fans had been responding to that shift since nineteen eighty two. I think they've always kind of recognized maybe themselves in that we element. And December of nineteen eighty six, that was the moment where it just kind of blows up. You can just hear the response from the audience at that point. You know, the idea that the Dead were back, the dead Head community was still intact. You know, this was you know, a really joyous moment for the fans, but it was fraud because the band knew that, yeah, they had to do something, you know, and the decision then was all right, you know, we have to make a record, you know, and perhaps even make a record that's actually going to sell a few copies and make us some money. You know, given the situation that we are presently in.
Speaker 2: What I noticed in that video is Jerry's body language when he says I will survive, like he knows, he puts a little emphasis on that, you know. Oh yeah, And he's not one to do that, so he's not looking. He's not a performative type of person on stage, you know. He but even he couldn't help. But you know, he couldn't hold back that emotion there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's so few INSS of any sort of interaction right between Jerry and the audience, and I mean this, this would be one of those moments that you would expect it and yeah, and it's slight, it's there, you know, but then it's just to move on, exactly. And that's a very dead thing to do.
Speaker 2: In fact, I would love to know prior to them going on stage if Jerry was uncomfortable doing that, because he never liked to make it about him, but there was you could not you could not not play that song, you know, to open that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the story of Touch a Grade begins with Robert Hunter, years before The Dead performed or recorded it. His nineteen eighty notebook contains dozens of possible verses, and he continued changing the lyrics in concert when he performed it. What do those discarded lyrics reveal about his original conception of the song.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. I mean he you know, listening to the early performances of the tune and looking at the lyrics and how they were changed. I mean, he treats it very much almost you know, like a folk troubadour singer, would you know, I mean I describe in the book. I mean when he would perform it be acoustic guitar with the harmonica around his neck. I mean, very Dylan esque. The tune itself has sections, but he treated it very fluidly. You know. He would kind of go verse choruses bridge as you know, I switch lyrics here and there. It was very much an open kind of a form. You would see changes to the lyrics throughout kind of the between nineteen eighty to nineteen eighty two. But in terms of kind of the overall shape of the song, you know, it's interesting to kind of follow it from Hunter's perspective because it's it always seemed to be kind of a work in progress, you know, and maybe you know, there was no kind of kind of final idea what it would become, you know, and that definitely changed once the dead got their hands on it in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: Right the early version, the narrator sounds misanthropic, curmudgeonly responding to social decline, absurdity of what's going on around him, but he's responding with it's all right. Do you hear that phrases genuine reassurance, weary resignation, dark humor, or maybe some combination of all three, because Robert Hunter had that kind of personality precisely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all three. It's any interpretation you want to bring to it. I mean, yes, there is that kind of resigned, you know, sense of all right, Well, that's just how it is. You know, there's an ironic sense to it. There are all those senses to it, and even with when the dead take it over, it's still there. You know. It's funny that the narrator of that song, it's kind of hard to pin down, you know, kind of what's happening, you know, why the reactions this way, But ultimately it doesn't matter, because you're right, it's all right. It just kind of returns to that. And I think that is also a very kind of dead lyric too, you know, standing in the face of any type of adversity or anything that's going on, or any absurdity, It's all right, you know, let the situation is in charge, and you know, we'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: And going back to the we will survive part at the end, Hunter initially saying we can get on by, but Garcia changed it to the more personal I will get by before the song returned to we will survive at the end. How important was that movement from the individual to the collective in creating the song's emotional impact.
Speaker 1: I think it's incredibly important. I mean, it's the debut performance of Hunter doing it in nineteen eighty. You can listen to the live recording on Internet at archive, and you know, when he says we you hear a response from the audio, you know right away. You know there's a sense of you know, wanting to be involved, you know, And this is always something I think very much part of the Dead culture. Dead fans always kind of sensing this relationship, you know, imagining this kind of communal relationship to it. When the Dead took it over, I think they understood definitely the rhetorical impact of what that meant to the song and to the fans. You know, so I kind of trace, you know, how that section gets shifted. You know that we can get by, get on by. You know, Hunter would always kind of vary those texts a little bit, but you're right, as soon as it got with the band, I Will Survive, We Will Survive, you know, became a very kind of established form. But what I think is very interesting is understanding when that shift occurs, you know, in the song itself, because said it had been occurring earlier in performances, and it kind of took away from the dramatic impact of when that kind of really hits with the audience. And so by the end of nineteen eighty two, as the band continued to kind of mold it on the road, that's when they decided to wait for the We Will Survive to put it at the very end of the tune. So instead of just one more chorus, it now becomes a coda. It becomes this triumphant coda where you know, you can feel the expectation and the drive kind of building towards it, which is a much more dramatic musical, rhetorical effect than what was happening before, you know, when the shift took place earlier in the song and I.
Speaker 2: Love you could hear Jerry really hit the chords hard.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, definitely, you know, and it's interesting, Yeah, you hear it and he's hitting it hard. It's you know, you listen to some of these early performances, it's because they're still like figuring out the tune, you know, because the is continuing to change each night, you know, night to night it might change, and so I just imagine what it must have been like on stage, you know, being a musician and having performed you know, doing live improv. You know, not sure quite you know where this is going to happen. You know, there was a lot of kind of uncertainty in some of those early performances. You know, it's fun to listen to those, really.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, that that extra you know, like I said, when he's hitting those cordially hard, it's like defiance or it's it's just something there's something in there that it was coming out of Jerrea at that moment. You could feel it. And they debuted it on September fifteen, nineteen eighty two, Capital Center in Maryland, performed it for nearly five years before recording it. How did the song evolve during that period? How different was the first performance from the eventual studio version, not just lyrically, but the pace of it, Right, it's a little faster in their early only.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, what's interesting if you listen to some of the earliest recordings, and one of them was from nineteen eighty two, there is a studio kind of recording. It's one of the earliest recordings of the tune, and it's it's a lot of the shape is there, most of the melody and the chords and stuff there. The form is there, you know, for from what we've become familiar with it. One of the main things that's very different about it is the song is has a halftime feel instead of you know, that strong snare drum on two and four, and it's more of this reggae feel that d d d dam dum dum, you know. So it has this kind of slower groove to it that kind of fits in with some of their more contemporary tunes that also kind of had, you know, this reggae type of feel, you know, Roe Jimmy and tunes like that, Right, But they got rid of that, you know, within a few months. Within a few months, they start playing it more with that driving backbeat with the snare drums on beats two and four, And once they start incorporating that, that's really when the tempo starts to pick up at that point, and yeah, it becomes, you know, just kind of this barn burner type of song on many occasions. But by the end of nineteen eighty two, until you know, really the end of their career, the arrangement stayed essentially the same, you know, in terms of the forms with this section, what comes next, the lyrics, et cetera, and all that. The instrumentation, though, is going to change a little bit once they go into the recording studio in nineteen eighty seven and start kind of experimenting with some of the arrangement at that point.
Speaker 2: Was it Phil Lesh that inspired that coda ending because he thought that the original ending sounded clumsy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you listen to that early recording, that didn't quite no, So you know, how to end it? And Jerry's the one who says, yeah, I've got to figure out some way to end it. It's an interesting what you can hear Lesh saying, and this is on the expanded edition of in the Dark that was originally included on the Beyond Description box that came out. You can hear Phil Lesh at the very end saying that it sounds like a song that we can get excited about, you know, which is you know, somewhat prophetic, you know, and it's very interesting. You listen to the recording and it kind of fades out right at that moment, you know, it's a very kind of dramatic thing. And so, yeah, it's a song they're working on. They were expanding the repertoire at that time. West La Fadeaway was entering the repertoire at that time. Keep Your Day Job was another one too, So at the time, really it was just one of a bunch of tunes that they were, you know, adding to the live repertoire beginning in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the recording of it, we mentioned Jerry's coleman in nineteen eighty six that forced the Dead to cancel their faults at a time when the organization depended heavily on concert revenue. The operating expenses around two hundred and thirty five thousand dollars a month. How bad was the band's financial state at that point, and why did recording a new album become part of this solution.
Speaker 1: There is a breakdown, financial breakdown from July of nineteen eighty six, and it kind of shows the you know, the overhead, you know that they're paying the two hundred and thirty five thousand. Then it shows expected income, you know, and what they might expect to make from live shows. And you would see these financial breakdowns, you know, throughout the band's career. But what's interesting about this one is that it says, you know, at the very bottom of it the details, you know, what happens if Jerry doesn't get any better, you know, by the time that they can get on the road. And so so there are two very different figures, you know, on the sheets, you know, just depending upon how things go. And so they very much knew that they kind of had to change. You know, they'd been living on the road for a long time getting money by touring again. It was going to take a while, you know, they needed they would it's in terms of when they would get paid from these gigs and even not knowing when they would get back up on the road making a record. However, it's the possibility of making some money up front through advances, especially through the label, would be one way, finding a way to tide themselves over in the meantime until they could return to the road and until the record would come out. And so, you know, studio albums, you know, within the Dead kind of history are always not always, but the Dead's always perceived as a live band, sure, right, the records we always hear never really were able to capture what the Dead were all about. You know, we've heard that story. I talk about that a lot in a previous book I did on the Dead called Live Dead. So the idea of a studio album was interesting because most fans would not look upon the studio albums. It's like, all right, this is what we're looking for, this is what we're anticipating. But we weren't sure if the Dead were going to be back on the road again to record a live album, studio album was going to be the way to do it in the meantime. Yeah, So in January of nineteen eighty seven, shortly after those shows in Oakland where Jerry returned, the band convened and started laying down basic tracks in marine vettes for about two two and a half weeks, and then through the spring worked on overdubs for the record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they recorded the basic tracks live on stage at the Marren Vettman's Memori Laudatorium that setting. Why was that so effective in capturing the studio performance?
Speaker 1: John Cutler, the producer for that record, probably recommended that this would be a really good way to kind of get that type of energy in these recorded performances. And they knew the hall very well, and they had recorded in the hall and had gotten some really good recordings there a couple of years earlier, and so they were, you know, based upon the experience of some recordings they did in nineteen eighty five, they decided to return there. They brought along Gheech, Charbonneau and Lmobile, one of the kind of premiere mobile recording studios at the time, set up outside and Yeah, had them set up on stage in morin vets empty playing through tunes. They had a very you know, established set list a cent the songs that you see on in the dark were the songs that they recorded and that they worked on. You know, they didn't really have time to fool around and try out different stuff and set up on stage as they normally would, played through the tracks. Oftentimes Jerry would then run out to the truck and listen to the performances, and ultimately it was Jerry who would decide, you know, which of the kind of recorded performances of the BA would be used as the basic tracks for the tunes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the one that called it a largely unsuccessful song looking for its right approach. So he's the one that thought it needed to be slowed down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. In an interview with Blair Jackson in The Golden Road, he talks about that, Yeah, and the quote you just said, yeah, that you know, for years he just didn't feel right, you know, and that we just needed to slow it down. Well, he says that, but it's really not that much slower than you know, performances that you know were happening, you know live. It was slower than some of the more recent live performances. There's a performance from rich Stadium in nineteen eighty six that is just blistering. It's on fire, it is so fast. So it's definitely slower than that. But by the time they get back out onto the road in the spring of nineteen eighty seven and start playing it again, the tempo creeps back up again.
Speaker 2: So well, I think the temple's perfect because of the lyric when you think I will get by, I will survive and it's all right part because it's it's very laid back, It's like it's okay, we'll get by. It kind of fits the vibe of the lyrics, right, I.
Speaker 1: Think so without a doubt. Yeah, yeah, it has an easy feel to it. You know, it has a quicker tempo, but you know, it just has this kind of easy kind of pace and feel to it that it doesn't sound and rushed, you know. And the way that the arrangement of the song works too, it's not very full either, and so there's a lot of space within the tune. And while it has this underlying kind of you know, propulsive current to it, the surface, just like so many other Dead tunes, just is kind of going along at a much kind of you know, more you know, slow tempo.
Speaker 2: John Brackett, the author of Touch of Gray or How the Grateful Dead Became Pop Stars. So Jerry credited Brent Midland as the father of the new arrangement. What did he bring to Touch of Gray that transformed its identity and helped unlock its commercial potential.
Speaker 1: That main musical motive that you hear at the very beginning of the tune on the keyboard. You know, I'm the synthesizer. This was a musical idea. If you go back and listen to the tune, it's one of the first things you're going to hear is that motive starts off with that long sustained note at the beginning, and then this kind of nice cascading figure down that he played on the organ. I think it was within the basic tracks recording the basic tracks at marin Vents, and when they started doing overdubs, seemed like the band kind of picked up on this new idea, this new musical you know, motive, and started kind of playing around with it. And while he originally played it on the on the Hammond, by the time they get into the studio owner are doing overdubs. Brand is going to be working with some synthesizers, and he's also working with a guy named Bob bray Love. You know, bray Love is an incredibly you know, important figure in this story because basically he's the one who programmed.
Speaker 2: That sound, who was Bob Brailove.
Speaker 1: His background, bray Love, I'm not going to talk about his you know, his full background. I'll start off by saying I was lucky enough to play with him a couple of years ago at a show that I did in a book event that I did in San Francisco. Got a chance to play with him and David Gans as well, and you know, spoke with them a little bit. It's just it was really great because, as most people know, he becomes an integral part of the band beginning in the late eighties, but leading up to that he was working with Stevie Wonder. He was programming since for Stevie Wonder Live and in the studio. He helped to program and organize this wonderful Synthesizer summit that was done at the Grammy Awards in nineteen eighty five. People who are watching please find that online because it's super cool. It features I know, I'm gonna forget somebody here, but I know it features Howard Jones, Herbie Hancock, and I forget totally spacing on some of well. I think Steeah Stevie Wonder is there as well, and bray Love helped to get all the instruments to talk. Bray Love was an early ex bert in MIDI technology, and he was able to introduce a lot of these new digital technologies into Stevie Wonders live in studios rigs.
Speaker 2: And he introduces a distinctive synthesizer sound to Touch of Gray.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah. The sound that eventually we end uppearing on the record was created by a version of the Yamaha d X seven synthesizer, which for people who kind of grew up around at the time that Eric and I did, probably will recognize this as one of the most ubiquitous synthesizer tambers of the early eighties. You know, so many top ten pop hits of that era utilized these distinctive sounds that could be created on the Yamaha synthesizer. The DX seven was different than a lot of the other commercial synthesizers at the time. It was digital, but it created sounds through frequency modulation, which results in these very unique kind of crystalline, you know, bell like sounds. And as soon as you hear you know it on you know, AHA's take on me or you know this, what's love got to do with it? I mean, take your pick of whatever eighties hit it was. I mean the d X seven appeared on it, and that was the tambre that bray Love synthesized and that Midland played, And so you get this new motive added to the song. But then you get this tambre, this synthesizer sound that would have been so familiar to listeners at that time as being recognizable from this song and this other song. And so that you know, through that new arrangement, and this, I think is what Jerry was talking about as Brent being the father of this new arrangement was really introducing this more kind of a modern synthesizer sound. I think I mentioned in the book. Yeah, it's the song transformed from being kind of this guitar based rock tune to being kind of a synth tune, you know, once it got recorded for in the Dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just that sound alone, it sounds at home on pop radio in nineteen eighty seven, just enough, but it's still the dead, but it's enough for like you say, people will recognize it, they feel comfortable with it, they know it, and that's a huge difference maker there, I think. So in terms of it being your hit top ten single, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It sounds familiar, right, I mean, you know for audiences in nineteen eighty seven, you know, you you know you maybe you remember the Dead from the sixties, maybe you never even heard of the Dead, you know at that time, and so all of a sudden this comes on the radio, and you know, the one thing that you can latch onto. You know, if you haven't heard the Dead in years, or if you've never heard them, is that sound, you know, And really so much about the record itself. It's a very clear recording. You know, there's not a lot of noise on that record. You know, you can very clearly hear all of the instrumental parts and spaces. It just fits very well into the field. And that's a real credit to Cutler and some of the other kind of technological things that they were doing with that record.
Speaker 2: So the nearly six minute recording still needed to be edited for radio, packaged across several formats, and supported by a video. When did Touch of Gray stop being another track on an album and become an obvious vehicle for taking the Dead into the mainstream.
Speaker 1: That's a really good question, because you know, you have, on the one hand, the Dead playing live. You know, once they return to the road in eighty seven alongside this building momentum that's going on with the single. So on the one hand, you have this incredible momentum going on with touch of both on rock radio at first, it soon crosses over into top forty radio, goes onto adult contemporary, you know, it goes on to college rock radio. Meanwhile, the video is also taking off throughout the summer. But then you have the band playing live and often they wouldn't even play the song, you know, and this was part of their what they do. You know, they very much kind of treated kind of what they did live. They did not feel like they had to play that song live. Yeah, that's com built the audience is right.
Speaker 2: And that's where I'm going too, is at what point does Arista hear the song. Do they have a fan at the label who's watching them, seeing them perform live and say, boy, that's a song that's going to be hit. Or is it once they start forming the song that somebody now realizes like, who, I think we're onto something here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, actually it's it's I think if I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Bringing God Bray Love in, you know, bringing him in would tell you that at some point before recording it, maybe they thought we could do something with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he was brought in, you know. Also he did with Midland, also worked with the percussionists as well, and he had worked with The Dead a little bit before, a couple of years earlier. When yeah, that's important, So he wasn't just brought it so no, no, no, he was familiar to them. He had helped them work on with the reboot of The Twilight Zone. Yeah, yes, nineteen eighty five. Yeah, Nicky Hart and some of the other folks in the band were making sounds and noises and you know stuff for that and he had been brought in to kind of assist with that. So if anything, by nineteen eighty six, eighty seven, you know, he was brought in because they were familiar, they knew what he could do. And at that time, yeah, it was getting the drummers, you know, doing some Midi stuff with them, and then really getting Brailev up to speed because I'm sorry, getting Midland up to speed because he was accumulating a lot of the you know, new synthesizers at the time, and bray Love was you know, helping him learn you know what some of these would do. But to go back to your question, your your point about like when did this song become kind of when did people start recognizing, oh, this is something maybe bigger. You know, it took place much later, I think, And it actually happened when they were getting ready to make the video, and by February of nineteen eighty seven, Garcia had reached out to Gary Gutierrez to direct the video. For people who don't know Gary Gutierrez was at that time, he was a co founder of a production company called Colossal Pictures, but he had worked with Jerry earlier in nineteen seventy six and seventy seven. He is and his production team had worked on the animation sequence that opens up the Grateful Dead movie and if you haven't seen that, please go and see that. Jerry reaches out to him a decade later because he knows that Gary is very familiar with the iconography of the band, the band's relationship to the fans and things like that. So yeah, he sends a cassette. Jerry sends a cassette to Gary Gutierrez in February of nineteen eighty seven with like five songs on it, three or five songs. He says, these are the songs that we're considering for the next single. So by February of nineteen eighty seven, the band and Arista had still not decided yet on what was going to be the first single for this new record. They had already done the basic tracks, they were in the midst of doing overdubs at the time, but they still had no idea. A couple of weeks later, by early March, there's a document in the Grateful Dead archive that you see Santa Cruz of the facts or a letter that was sent from Colossal Pictures to representatives at Arista, and it includes an early outline for the video, and in the accompanying letter it says, you know, while Gary you know, wrote this two Touch of Gray, we feel like, you know, this idea of the skeleton marionettes would work well for any of the songs that we have heard. They still didn't know. They still hadn't decided yet, you know, But Gary Gutierrez had you know, done the outline for Touch of Gray with the lyrics and had some notes for it, and that's what he sent us the outline. So probably in many ways, Gary Gutierrez, the director of the videos the person who probably steered the s yep towards Touch of Gray as being the first single from in the Dark more than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the guy. That's the moment where the song now takes a different direction and we see it go up the charts. Up was it seven or eight on the charts?
Speaker 1: Nine? Nine?
Speaker 2: It was peaked, ye, peaked at nine. So yeah, the polished Touch of Gray video. Also the informal Dead Ringers documentary and Len Delamico's Experimental So Far presented three very different versions of the band. Talk about those films. What did they communicate about who the Dead had been, who they were becoming, and how they wanted new audiences to perceive them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot there, because, as you point out, there were a lot of films and videos in nineteen eighty seven, and this is an important point because the Dead were not strangers, were no strangers to combining film, moving images, and music, you know, going back to the Dead movie. A bunch of projects around in nineteen eighty, you know, with their fifteenth anniversary. So by nineteen eighty four, Jerry was head of a committee that was in charge of preserving and organizing the Dead's video faults as well. They're thinking about video throughout the eighties. However, what they're not thinking about is MTV. They never were really interested in MTV. In fact, they actively resisted any exposure on MTV. There's from meeting minutes from a meeting in nineteen eighty four, there's some threat from one of the Dead's legal representatives to MTV. Right if you show any clips author clips of the Dead on MTV, you know, there will be serious trouble, you know. But this all changes, obviously once we get into you know, nineteen eighty seven. They know they have to make a video. They also are very much aware that their fans are going to be a little bit nervous, maybe a bit skeptical, uh, and definitely trepidacious, little trepidation in there about the Dead now appearing on MTV. You know, for a group like the Dead, you know this, you know, existing outside of the mainstream, you know, was a very very important thing, and this was very much true for the dead Heads as well. You know that there was this community, this thriving community that existed outside of the musical mainstream. MTV, for many people represented the mainstream of the mainstream, and so on. You know, it came time for the Dead to make a video, they were very careful. You know, they kept it in house. You know Gary Gutierrez that you know, with somebody that people knew and they were familiar with, so okay, they could expect something that was kind of approved by the band, but they still had to convince them a little bit. And I think that's where the Dead ringers the making of video kind of comes into play. And whereas you know, the video is you know in heavy rotation on MTV and Friday Night videos and things like that. The Dead also produced a standalone making a video and it was directed by Justin Kreutzman, the son of Bill Kreutzman, and in it you get about a half an hour of you know, behind the scenes footage and interviews with the band, behind the scenes kind of scenes of making the marionette. The production of the videos, well, I mean it's very much in line with so many of the other making of videos from that era.
Speaker 2: They brought in real fans, right Oh yeah, that's the thing that you could pick up on that it's a genuine part of that video. It's which in that area you could very easily there are a lot of videos like that where you just see people in the audience.
Speaker 1: Like these are these brilliant fans, but they were No, definitely, yeah, And that was the other when they produced the video, they were originally going to use cutaway footage of the audience from the Grateful Dead movie. Now that was filmed in nineteen seventy four, and so.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't well, of course, you know, I believe they call that a continuity error. Maybe is that what they called?
Speaker 1: I think so? And so, you know, quite quickly somebody was like, we cannot do that, and so by the middle of March, end of March, they had decided that they were going to film significant portions of the video in front of a live audience in between two shows. Two concerts at Laguna Seca in Monterey, and on May ninth, nineteen eighty seven, the Rycooter Bruce Hornsby in the Range and the Dead played a show in the afternoon. By the early evening the show was done, fans started heading back to the campgrounds. Meanwhile, they started setting up the stage for the producing the video. A little bit later, they go over to the campground people who are working on the video. At some of the deads. People start bringing fans back to the stage area asking them to if they, you know, want to be part of the video. So yeah, when you watch the video, they cutaway shots were filmed overnight at lagun Seka and those were the people who were at the show. And it's great. I was had an interview with Monterey Paper, going to be doing an event in Monterey in a few weeks, and the person who was interviewing me, remember that, and he was had, you know, one thing I remember about the video that really stands out is that, you know, some people were actually singing along to the song and I was like, but but this is a new song, how could you possibly know the words to this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And so it's it's very interesting because one of the the important components of that video was to show that connection between the band and the audience, you know, and to have the audience there, you know, singing along, whether it was the band lip syncing or it was the marionette's on the stage, you know, that's what you hear. You know, if you watch the video, there are moments where you can hear the audience. Soundtrack kind of blended in to the performance as well, and Yeah, Like I said, this was a kind of a key component of you know, getting the fans involved. But that Dead Ringers video, I think a significant part of that was kind of to kind of make sure that fans knew that, you know, this was, you know, just a one off thing, you know, that what was going on with a touch of gray video. I think Phil Lesh and the Dead Ringers video said you know, we'll do one and then we're done with it. But they did Hell in a Bucket right, well, they did Hell in a Bucket. Yeah, they also did Throwing Stones as well.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've ever seen that one.
Speaker 1: Yep, check that one. Both of those latter two were directed by Len Delamico and yeah, the same person who also did the so Far video. Now that's so Far video that dates back to nineteen eighty five that includes footage of the band playing on stage at Marin Vets in nineteen eighty five, those same sessions that Cutler remembered and thought, okay, these were very well before, let's do them again. So that footage, along with some live footage from later in eighty five, is what kind of makes up the bulk of the so Far video. It's kind of repurposed quickly, you know, following you know, a touch of gray and in the dark, but tied in to, you know, things that were going on at the label. That's where this is all going at this point. You know, the Dead Ringers making of and then so far we're the first two videos of Arista's video division West six, and so there's this close connection, you know, between what the Dead are doing and you know, the ability to continue to make videos but also market those videos in different ways as well, but still closely connected with what was going on at the label too.
Speaker 2: Find the bookdown Rock website at booked on rock dot com. There you can find all the back episodes of the show, the latest episode in video and audio, links to all of the platforms where you can listen to the podcast, plus all the social media platforms were on Blue Sky, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and x. Also check out the booked on Rock blog. Find your local independent bookstore, find out all the latest hot rockbook releases, and before you go, check out the booked on Rock online store. Pick up some Booked on Rock merch. It's all at booked on rock dot com. There's this myth that all of this is an accidental success story like Jerry's, the one that insisted that the success wasn't planned and just worked out that way. Why has that mythology of accidental success remained so powerful? Do we Dead fans not want to think of the Dead in a way where you've got this coordinated campaign. It's got the radio, the MTV, the tell television, to print media, the summer tour, it's all packaged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do believe that. I do believe there's you know that we don't want to believe it, you know that we want to believe that this just was serendipitous and then it just kind of happened, and it's you know, Jerry may have said that, but you know it's Dennis. You know McNally writes in the you know, the Biography of the Dead, that big thick one. You know, John Cutler supposedly at that time was walking around wearing shirts that said think Platinum. So you know, there's some conflicting, you know, kind of reports about what's going on there, and you know this is not new in the Dead. There's lots of conflicting reports and so yeah, it's it's interesting to think about because, yeah, there is a lot of coordination. You know, there's a lot of savvy planning. You know, when the they started testing the song, it didn't really test well with younger listeners team magors or adult women. Quite quickly, you see Arista start. You know, they're putting something on the Dead in Spin magazine. You know, this is something that is designed specifically to get younger listeners. You know, this is a magazine that's not rolling Stone, this is covering new stuff. Even MTV. They'd been planned. You know, there was a Day of the Dead special on MTV in August, and that had been planned in May. You know, they had been coordinating that in May. And so if you do start looking at the documents, you do see that, yes, this is a very coordinated, methodical rollout. And you know, this is how hits are made. You know, one of the one of the executives at Aristis said, you know, basically, we're doing what we're doing with the Dead is what we did with Whitney Houston. Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's dim impressed that they made a band that existed for more than twenty years feel suddenly current, you know, I mean that's not an easy thing to do and let's not forget.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, okay, maybe all of this happened, you know, and that there was this coordination, but in many ways, you know, the deads were able to kind of continue to maintain that integrity, you know, in a certain way. You know, they were still able to kind of do it their own way. And although they reached this kind of commercial potential and it had this you know, very methodical and planned distribution and promotion, the Dead did it in such a way that it never really felt slimy, if you know what I mean. You know, it did feel organic, and much of it probably, you know, there was a significant amount of organic. But at the same time, you know, there was some resentment among you know, older fans towards what was going on. The scene was changing.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt, the influx of touchheads.
Speaker 1: Got that that was the name. Yeah, but you know, the fact the fact that Dead.
Speaker 2: Fans knew that this song had been around for a long time certainly helped. It wasn't a song that was just manufactured out of nowhere, like we need a hit single precisely, you know, Yeah, let's let's have somebody, let's have an outside song. When to come in and right, it's a hit single. So I think that went a long way.
Speaker 1: No, And I think that's an important point you bring up there, that yeah, this wasn't something that was manufactured. Maybe, you know, all of this stuff with the label is justified, but the fact of the matter was is that, all right, this is a song we all know, and this isn't some newly crafted song that's supposed to kind of you know, appeal to the pop audience is necessarily.
Speaker 2: The influx of touch heads. Okay, so now you've got a whole new new visibility that I guess both validating but unsettling, because you've got these opportunistic vendors, you've got drugs, gate crashers, increased police attention at the concert scene. The culture of the show's changed, particularly in the parking lot, known by Dead fans as the lot. So talk about that change, how it affected Dead culture in a I guess in a positive way, in a negative way, but there was certainly the negative. Yeah, the band had to make adjustments.
Speaker 1: Now, without a doubt. You know, the lot itself, you know, had existed for a while before that, and you know it was generally pretty calm. You know, there were always issues. You know, John Sheer, when the Dead's promoter was constantly sending, you know, notes to concert venues saying, listen, we know how you know the reputation of the Dead. You know, we need your help and you know, kind of having an orderly concert experiencevarience so venues and operators. By nineteen eighty six, you know, knew what to expect with Dead audiences and the scene around the lot. But by nineteen eighty seven, it really it all changed. As you said, a lot of opportunistic vendors coming in, a lot of trademark infringement, a lot of drugs being sold, a lot of public consumption of drugs and alcohol led to increased undercover agents there. It was often of kind of a very dark scene. It could be a dark scene out there, but it's interesting you looking through the Dead archive, there are plenty of notes too. Members of the organization would often walk through the lot and take notes about what they were seeing at the time, and we're trying to come up with, you know, solutions to how we could make this better. You know, it was all it's all very difficult because the Dead and their organization were always very reluctant to make hard and fast decisions about how they were kind of kind of going to work with their fans. They always kind of wanted to let the scene take care of itself. But by nineteen eighty seven, and definitely by nineteen eighty eight, this was really untenable, you know, with what was going on in a lot. But also, you know, the concerts themselves. Gate crashing became pretty common as well, and you start getting that and you you know, you're not going to get booked at places. You know, Towns aren't going to want you in their cities aren't going to watch you. Venues aren't going to want you, and so you know, you're at this spot where you might be at the top of your game, but you can't get gigs, and so it was tough. It was tough for them. There was there's a note when the Dead were getting ready to review their their contract with their looking over the terms of the new contract, and one of the terms was that the Gravel Dad will perform you know, three full length concerts, you know, tours, you know, per year to support these records, you know, And in the margins of the draft of this contract, the band's lawyer, Hal can't says, is this possible or something to that effect. Are we able to do this still? You know, and this was nineteen eighty eight. They were really unsure of what the future was going to hold for these live shows, just given you know, kind of how you know the scene had changed during that time.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for checking out the book down Rock podcast. If you've just found the podcast, welcome. If you've been listening, thank you so much for your support, and make sure you tell a friend, a family member, share on social media and let people know about Booked on Rock. And if you do like the podcast, make sure you subscribe give a five star review. Wherever you listen to the Booked on Rock podcast, We're on Amazon, Apple, iHeart, Spotify, Spreaker, tune In, and on YouTube music. You can check out the full episodes on video, along with video highlights from episodes on the Booked on Rock YouTube channel. Find it at Booked on Rock. Thanks again for listening. Now back to the show. It did give the band enormous leverage in its new agreement with Aristas. Let's talk about that, because they got control over commercially releasing recordings from the fault. How else did that agreement help transform The Dead from a touring band into a cultural institution capable of sustaining itself long after Jerry's death, as we obviously can see. I mean, they still have a huge following.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, you know, as I talked about earlier, Dead hadn't released full length album, you know, in six years. When in the Dark came out in nineteen eighty seven. It was the last album that they owe to Arista for the terms of the contract that they had originally signed in nineteen seventy six. They had finally fulfilled the terms of that contract, and what a better way to do it than Within the Dark. You know. By October of eighty seven, it was platinum. You know, the band was now playing stadiums regularly, and you know, it was just only going to get bigger and bigger for the next few months. So they really kind of you know, held all the cards, you know, when it came time to negotiate, you know, with Arista in nineteen eighty eight, and yeah, a lot of great rates for CDs and LPs and cassettes. At that time. They were also granted permission to release recordings with Dylan from some of the Dylan and the Dead performances, those would be coming out on CBS. But as you mentioned, yeah, one of the things that Arista agreed to is that the band would be allowed to produce and distribute recording from their vault, live recordings, unreleased recordings from the band's fault. And at this point, by nineteen eighty seven, it's massive, you know, this is has recordings on all variety of formats, you know, dating back really to the late sixties. And as most people know, this is kind of you know, what are the these kind of holy places, you know, the Grateful Dead vaults, you know, with all of these recordings.
Speaker 2: The Dix picks is that that's not Arista though, is it?
Speaker 1: No? No, And this is what ends up happening is that with this new agreement with Arista, the Dead now granted permission to produce and distribute their own archival recordings themselves through Grateful Dead Productions. And this was something that the band had been thinking about for more than a decade. Shortly before they signed to Arista, they were thinking about forming an archival label called Ground Records. The time, this was when the band had their own label, Grateful Dead Records. But this was right at the moment when that label was about to fold. So when the Dead signed with Arista in nineteen seventy six, one of the clauses that Arista put into that contract was that the Dead would not be able to release recordings from their vault throughout the term of the contract. Clive Davis, execs Arista wanted the Dead to focus on making studio albums and playing live. They didn't want them kind of doing any sort of side projects at that time. So by the time we get to nineteen eighty seven, this is an idea that's been percolating for a long time because the Dead understand the need, not really the need, but just the value of these recordings, but also just the fans want them, right. I mean these they have access to the audience recordings, but to have access to the Dead soundboards, you know, the demand is the demand for those recordings are great among fans, and so this is one of the major things that Arista agrees to let the band do as part of the new contract. It would take them a few years before they started doing it. Nineteen ninety one would be the first archival release and it was called One from the Vault. It was a show from San Francisco in nineteen seventy five the Great American Music Hall. The Dix Picks series started in the following year, and this is, along with the one from the Vault, is really where we start seeing, you know, these archival releases that are being distributed directly to fans by the Dead, no relationship to any sort of you know, major label Arista is not involved at this point. You know, this is an enterprise that the Dead were pursuing on their own. All the market is and production costs they are doing. But as we as many of us know, and if you still follow the Dead now, these archival recordings still continue to be, you know, one of the most lucrative you know, well maybe not the most lucrative, but one of the most important ways that the Dead Rhino records are able to kind of still connect with fans.
Speaker 2: You just put out a new one from ninety one, I think, right.
Speaker 1: They're yeah, they're coming out all the time. They're still you know, releasing you know, the box sets. I think they have a twenty disc set of shows coming out later this year from nineteen eighty five. But yeah, the Dave's Picks series, just what you're talking about yeah, I think they're up to number fifty nine now with Bob we are gone.
Speaker 2: Who makes the decision? Wasn't he the one making the decisions with with Mickey Hart and Kreutzman or no.
Speaker 1: As far as you know, to my knowledge, what is being released as part of these archival series, much of it is up to, if not all of it is probably up to the final decision making of a person named Dave Lemieux. Oh, yes, Yes, who's the Dead's archivist and legacy manager.
Speaker 2: He's on Serious XM channel, the Dead Channel. Yes, several channels now, they have the studio songs Live Dead. I think they have three different channels there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's most recently the play Dead app as well, which I think is uh. I haven't checked it out yet, but it probably will pretty soon.
Speaker 2: But I hear him often on there.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's the one I would get who probably is, you know, choosing it? Probably has the final say at this point, you know, I'm not sure how much input you know, Kreutzman or Heart you know would have early on in the process, though Phil Lesh of the band Phil Lesh was the one who had been most involved, especially with the early Dix Picks series, but in terms of the more recent ones, I'm not sure what the band's involvement is or.
Speaker 2: Was when you consider the financial security and the lasting legacy alongside the deterioration of the concert scene. Was the success of Touch of Gray ultimately a gift, a burden or something that the Gravel that could never have received without getting both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little bit of both again. I mean, you know, we talked about it at the very beginning. I mean, this is this is a difficult moment for some people. You know, things still change, and I talk about it through the book. You know, what does this moment mean for different generations of listeners? You know, but you know, ultimately it's i mean, we're still talking about the Grateful Dead sixty years later. You know, this is remarkable, you know, I mean, the fan base now seems bigger than it's ever been and all ages. You know, it's just remarkable to see, you know, who is listening to the Dead now at the same time, you know, the Dead, how they're influencing other bands as well, you know, and just kind of listening to what is happening, not even just with the jam band scene, but just how you know, people like Gillian Welch and David Rawlings are kind of reimagining, you know, some of these Dead tunes as well. I mean, they've really created a body of music that so many different artists and musicians can kind of tap into. And I'm wondering about that visibility, you know, I mean, would that visibility, you know, be different? You know, would the Dead's legacy be different if this song hadn't hit? You know what if circumstances had been different in eighty six, you know what if Jerry didn't get sick and they just kind of continued to be you know, kind of plot along. They were playing arenas and they had this kind of core, you know, constituency. You know, they could have existed, you know, but would we still be talking about them sixty years later? You know, I don't know, but you can't deny that, you know, a lot changed in this moment, A lot really changed for better for worse. You know, we don't know. History will tell us.
Speaker 2: The book Down Rock Podcast is part of the Boneless podcasting network. If you're a fan of classic rock and classic film like I am, go to Boneless dot Lovable Dot app to find over twenty great shows there that's Boneless, donlovable dot app or just go to book down rock dot com, the Boneless podcasting network. It is what you want to be Listen with confidence, touch of Gray or how the Grateful Dead became pop Stars. It's officially out now. I think it came out on the day we're recording this August fourteen, right, actually came out just last week. Last week. He came out, Okay, yeah, August four And this is a special time in Dead history. Jerry was born August first, nineteen forty two. He passed in August ninth, nineteen thirty five. So this is a special It's a bittersweet time for Dead fans. We celebrate all that great music and the community lives on, for sure. I went to a tribute show two three weeks ago here in my hometown and lo and behold me. It's mostly older people fifty sixty, seventy, some even maybe older. But get you get a couple twenty some things in there, and they're dancing and they're love it. They're having a great time, and I always love seeing that, and I mean, I think that's going to continue. I think Bob Weir's his mission, his vision for what was going to because even Jerry's too back then, it was going to go beyond the members themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean one of the things that, Yeah, when I spoke with David Gans a couple of times and when I played with him, you know, he always talks about, you know, that they're playing Grateful Dead music. You know, it's almost like a genre in and of itself. You know, we're no longer really just talking about the band, you know, anymore, We're really just talking about a much kind of larger phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Yep. Where can people find you online?
Speaker 1: John? You can check me out at dead scholar dot com. You can find some links to some of my other writings there, and also some of the events book events that I've got coming up beginning in a couple of weeks through October. And I also have a substack account too called Grateful Documents that I will kind of do shorter essays. I'll look at some archival documents that, you know, if I've examined, you know, throughout the years, and just talk about them a little bit, why they're significant, what they show us, and what they talk about. And so yeah, those are kind of the two primary ways of seeing what's going on.
Speaker 2: That's great. This is one of my favorite reads this summer. John, thank you so much for writing about this particular song. Again. The story is fascinating. It's got so many angles to it and such a history to it, and there's more. It's much more than just a song that they needed to hit and they recorded it. I mean, it goes back so far and it continues to this day and I can't stop listening to it. I love it. I don't care, I don't have I'm not embarrassed to say I love that, and I tell you I love and I know it didn't do as well, foolish heart, I love it, you know, yeah, you know that's that's it. I'm proud to say that. All right, John, Thanks so much. This was this is great. I'd love I'd love to have you back on again down the line, maybe for that previous dead book or whatever you got coming in the future.
Speaker 1: No, i'd love to. Yeah. I had a great time. Thank you so much. That's it. It's in the books.