Speaker 1: Don't just watch the game, experience it at beer Bar with four massive projection screens. It's the only bar in Salt Lake City that plays every MLS match without blackouts. Fuel your fandom with the fame It's original Garlickberger from the Cotton Bottom. And don't forget the home Cut prize. With over one hundred beers and thirty of them on tap, there's always something new to try. Find us downtown at one sixty one East Second South Jazz Utes. RSL catch all your favorite sports action at beer Bar.
Speaker 2: Time to hit the pitch on the drive. The RSL Insider today and every day is brought to you by beer Bar head downtown for watch parties and game day shuttles to the stadium. More at BEERBARSLC dot com.
Speaker 3: It's a historic day for our local soccer club as Raal Salt Lake made a splash, made an acquisition, brought in a really good player, and we are lucky enough to get to know him here on the program as DeAndre Yedlin is our guest on a Thursday. DeAndre, Happy Thursday, man, how are we doing.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty good? Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Salt Lake. Welcome to Utah. We're very excited to have you here. I wonder if you could enlighten us on this process, how this all went down, and how you're feeling now that you're here on the ground.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was kind of a whirlwind. Salt Lake had had shown some interest a bit ago, so I've known about the interest for a while and you know, finally boiled down, you know, to the point where obviously ended up coming here. And you know, I think a big, a big thing for me was uh, you know, not just their not as their commitment to me now, but you know for the future that you know that means a lot, and you know it shows just you know, how much they value me. So I was really excited to come. I'm really excited to get uh in with the group and you know, hopefully make a kind of a late last push for this for this playoff position.
Speaker 3: Now you're a Seattle kid at birth, and you've lived all across the world quite frankly, bouncing around Europe, and you played in Cincinnati, Miami of course Seattle back in the day. What what do you know about Utah? What do you know about salt Lake?
Speaker 4: I know about the great salt Lake I came. I came down here when I think I was like ten years old. I got a picture of me floating into salt in the in the Gray Salt Lake. Me and my grandfather did a lot of hikes growing up, you know, obviously being from Seattle with the mountains up there also, so we also did a lot of road trips. So I think that road trip specifically was kind of down through Yellowstone and then to Arches. So I'm a big fan of nature. I love mountains, I love National parks, lakes, you know, whatever it be, as long as it have to do with nature, I'm a I'm a big fan of his. So you know that definitely, that definitely had a learning effect in pulling me here.
Speaker 3: Now, what do you know about the club? What do you know? I mean, I mean, it's it's an interesting Yeah, I mean, it's.
Speaker 4: A it's a it's as far as em Ols goes as a historic club in this league, you know, I know, obviously this year, uh, you know, middle of the pack. So I think there obviously improvements can be made. But you know, at the end of the day, I think there's a great team and a team that can really make a push here at the end. Yeah, at the end of the day, I think, you know, it's a it's a great club. They've had club legends here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I actually was able to play with both Nick Ramondo and Kyle Beckerman. You know, Jason christ was a coach of mine and in Miami, so I know him pretty well. The GM Kurt was I don't know what his official position was in Seattle when I was in the academy there, but he was there when I was when I was in Seattle, so I know him pretty well. John Spencer, who also works works at the club. You know, I've known him since I was in high school. So I know quite a lot of people. Tony Beltran I played against, So yeah, I know I know quite a lot of people within the club, and you know, they've all made me feel so welcome.
Speaker 3: So tell me, DeAndre, we're hoping to see your club debut on Saturday. Is that the plan?
Speaker 4: I hope? So yeah, I hope. So, you know, I want to get started as quick as possible and kind of get integrated within the group. So yeah, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Speaker 3: What in your conversations with Pablo, who's a guest on this show, every week, and someone I've known a long time, and I really have become fond of him. He's a really really good guy. So I wonder what your impressions are at him and during the conversations you've had with him, what what have you been asked to do so far?
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, the first time I've talked to him was today, you know, obviously known I've known of Pablo for quite a long time. I think, you know, everybody with an MLS has. My first conversation with him was actually today. And he's a great guy. He's a great you can tell from just from the gay go. He's a great guy, really, you know, not only cares about the player, but the human aspect of it as well, which I truly appreciate. And yeah, I think, I mean, I think, you know, a big reason why they brought me in is for you know, kind of my veteran presence and to two young teams, so to to help lead, to help kind of lead us in the right direction, and you know, obviously be a presidence on the field, you know, and and try to do what I do on the field, also help off the field, you know, with whatever needs to be helped with. So yeah, I think just add that that layer of maturity in and you know, help help this team achieve great things.
Speaker 3: How familiar are you, DeAndre with this roster? And obviously it's going to be a learning curve because they just brought in Rowan Cruz as well as Victor Olatunji to big acquisition during the summer windows. So it is kind of a new group. And as you referenced earlier, it's getting late early. There's only eight matches left to try to get this club across the playoff line. So what do you know about your new teammates?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I obviously know about a lot. I haven't played with any of them, you've seen any of my previous clubs, but I do know a lot of about the players here, whether that's been you know, speaking with players that I've played with, the players here or whatnot. So you know, I feel like I feel like I do know them. But today it's my first day of training, so you know, it's good to get out and get to know the guys a little bit. And it's a great group. You know, they, like I said, they welcome me in, you know, so so easily. So uh, it was really good to get out with them. And you know, they obviously have some some great talent on the scene, great young talent, and you know that excites me, you know because usually usually the the the young guys are super hungry, and I like that. I like that, you know, kind of just head down and work and you know, that's what you need, that's what you need to to win championships.
Speaker 3: So ultimately, you are also married with two young children. And did I read that your wife is from the Bronx.
Speaker 4: She is from the Bronx. Yeah, she is from the Bronx.
Speaker 3: Hey, DeAndre, where I'm a Northeast kid. I grew up in Connecticut. It's where we're a little bit far away from the Bronx. Salt Lake is not necessarily Bronx. I've got to know what was your wife's reaction when you said, Babe, we're moving to salt Lake. Yeah?
Speaker 4: She, I mean, she's she's been amazing throughout my whole career. She was out with me in Newcastle, she moved with me when I went to Turkey obviously, to Miami, to Cincinnatian out here, so she's she's all those places were so different. She's adapted to every to every place, and she truly is you know, she truly is that rock, you know, because obviously I'm on the road a lot, so you know, she's the one that stays behind with the kids and she makes my life way way easier. But she was excited. You know, she knows how into the mountains and you know, hiking and that sort of life that I am. So she's excited to kind of see that aspect of it because we haven't really lived in a place, you know, since we've been together that has been able to offer that. So we're excited to get out and get on some adventures out in the mountain.
Speaker 3: So once upon a time, DeAndre, you were the youngest player on the World Cup roster in twenty fourteen, and look, father time comes for us. All you blink and suddenly you're thirty two and you're the wily old vet top. To tell me about the evolution the process going from one of the bright young stars in our country to now this vet. How has your journey kind of colored that context for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a wild ride. And you know the crazy thing is I don't feel a day older than when I started, you know, so you know, obviously, you know physically it casts up with you, but you know, mentally, I still feel young, I still feel energetic. But it's been an amazing journey, and I've learned so much along this journey, and I think even more than which probably surprised people. Even more than on the field growth off the field, I've grown a ton, and I think obviously a lot of that credigos to my kids. I think becoming a father has really, you know, giving me a whole new perspective on life. But now I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't change anything I've done. I have no regrets within my career because everything has led me to hear and ultimately this is, this is at this point where I want to be, and I'm glad I'm here now.
Speaker 3: Is there? You know, when you look at your resume, you've accomplished a lot in this game. You've accomplished a lot as a player. Is there a single highlight? Is it a World Cup call up? Is it going overseas and playing in Europe? Is there one highlight that you're most proud of?
Speaker 4: Honestly, honestly, it's just playing in front of my kids. That's that's really the biggest thing for me. I'm a I'm a huge family guy, and you know, I I try to keep the main thing the main thing, and I know for me, the main thing is my kids and my family. Soccer is second to that. So you know the fact that I'm able to play in front of them and and they're they're able to see their father, you know, play like they they still ask questions when people come up and try to take pictures of me, like why is that person taking a picture with you? So they don't understand completely yet. But you know, that was one of the things when I was younger that I always dreamed of was being able to have my kids watch me play. So to be able to fill that dream has been has been nice. And hopefully I can lift the championship, you know, with them Washington as well.
Speaker 3: I've just got to know what it's like because I read that you you were the captain in Miami and then they then they acquired a player. Let me see if I can pronounce this name right, uh in Lionel Messi. What what was it? What was it like to hand the captain's arm band the Lenal Messi?
Speaker 4: I mean it was a pretty easy thing for me because I'm not going to be on the field with Messi and and and be the captain. So I was like, yeah, you you take this, my friend, But no, it was it was an amazing experience. You know, he's he's a player that you know, not only myself, but I think probably everybody playing now like soccer nowadays, grew up watching and admiring and you know, he was a he was a hero to a lot of people. So you know, to be able to share the field with him and see how he goes through life and how he goes through you know, his his daily routines, it was incredible and it was cool insight because you know, at the end of the day, what I realized about him is he's he's a guy that loves his kids, that loves his wife, that is a family men. And you know, a lot of people don't get to see, I think, that side of him because everybody only watched him on the field. But you know, as a family guy myself, I really respected that aspect of him because you don't you don't see many great athletes that also are great family men. You know, it's he is one or the other. Usually sort of for him to be able to juggle both of those, For him to be able to juggle both of those, you know, because it makes me have a lot of respect for him.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't mean to geek out on this dynamic. I just think it's it's so incredible that he is here, and it's so incredible that we have the opportunity to watch him play in the United States. I never thought it would be a reality. So I've got I've got to ask you, what what was it like to experience just his brilliance every day in training? Are they are there things to learn? Or is it like he's just on kind of his own level? Is it? Is it? Is it even hard to focus when you're watching brilliance like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I mean he's on his own level. Obviously. You know, you can try to replicate the things that he does, but you know you're not gonna be able to. So it's really just about it's just about accepting it and just enjoying the show while it's while it's on you. No, obviously, father time catches up to him as well, and you know he's not gonna be able to go on forever, So you know, it's just really just about enjoying it and enjoying, you know, that greatness and not brilliance while it's here. And then you know when he when he retired, I he's obviously, in my eyes, the greatest player ever to play the game. So you know, to be able to say that I was able to share the field with him, you know, it's it's it's awesome, it's a it's a great story along my journey. You know, something I'll cherish.
Speaker 3: You know, you have such a unique prison in perspective, DeAndre when it comes to the sport in our country, because you've experienced the sport elsewhere, and you've also made a home in MLS and you've also played in World Cups. You know, RSL has been here twenty five years now, which is pretty wild to consider. How have you seen the game grow domestically and do you believe with a World Cup cycle coming up, the game will continue to trend in the right direction?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the game is growing in an insane amount here. You know, obviously with the arrival of Messi that bumps it up. Then you know you have to club World Cup that bumps it up. The World Cup is coming that will bump it up. And just you know, since I've been back from Europe, the level of play has gotten exponentially better. The facilities, the stadiums, even even down to like the how the fans understand the game, you know, because you know back when I back when I started, you know, there's still it's still young in America. Wasn't like super super young, but it's still young, and there's there's times that fans really understand what was going on. But you can tell they understand the game now and you know, for things that should be clapped for, they clap for, you know, which is something you see a lot in Europe. You know, the fans truly do understand the game. So it's nice nice to see over here. I think you see the expectation now of US fans and you know they expect, you know, really high things from the US team, which I think is awesome because I don't think that was the case thirty years ago or whatnot. So yeah, it's growing, it's growing exponentially. It's great to see. I think it's only going to grow even more. And you know, all that means is is you know, better players being produced and you know, better talent for this country.
Speaker 3: When you were a young player, when you were coming up through the youth ranks, did you have because I always find this interesting, you know, when it comes to the visions people had for their careers. Did you have the goal of playing in a World Cup? Did you have the goal of playing in Europe? Or has your career even outshot your own dreams what you thought you could do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I I had a dream of going I had dreams of going to Europe. I had dreams of playing the World Cup. But yeah, I mean as honestly, as as soon as I really turned as I turned professional, it wasn't I didn't really even think about those sorts of things. It was just kind of taking it day by day and you know, just kind of going with the flow if you will. You know, it's there's It's not often I sit and think back on my career. Sometimes I take time to do it, but you know, so much of it is just day by day, and that's how I try to live my life. You know, tomorrow's not promised, so you know, I just try to live in the president, live in the present moment, and you know what will be will be. Kind of I I personally is, especially with kids coming into my life. Understand, there's more important things in soccer, so you know, I don't want to make that like the you know, this is my ultimate dream or my you know, ultimate goal. But yeah, I think for me, it's just it's taking it day by day and what will be will be, and just try at the end of the day to try to do the best you can.
Speaker 3: Oh, you and Pablo are going to get at You're gonna get along with Pablo so well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard. I've heard he's into grounding, which I'm very into as well, so we'll have to get some grounding sessions.
Speaker 3: In grounding meditation, you will find him meditating.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: You're going to get on really well. Do you do you have any boxes as you would like to check that you haven't checked yet. I know you're an in the moment guy, you're focused on right now, but is there anything you feel like you have left to accomplish?
Speaker 4: I mean in MLS so far, I haven't won an MLS Cup, So I have won every other well besides like a Champions League here, but I haven't won an MLS Cup, So I would love to do that here in Salt Lake. I think, you know, we're building a great team to be able to accomplish that. So that's that's kind of a main goal here is to is to achieve that.
Speaker 3: What do you like to do when you're not playing soccer? I know you got those kiddos in the life. Is it just family time when you're not playing?
Speaker 4: It's it's family time. I'm a I'm a big creative person, so whether it's drawing or some sort of art fashion, I love. I love really anything that has to do with creativity. I love the mountains. So here I'll probably be hiking a bit and you know, driving up in the mountains and you know, just enjoy being in nature. You know, enjoy taking my kids up there. They haven't really seen anything like this in their lifetime, so I think it'll be pretty special because you know, it was literally at the age that they are now that my grandfather started taking me. So it'll be a cool kind of I would say, full circle moment, but just kind of continuing to continue the path of you know, getting down to nature young.
Speaker 3: All right, before I say you lose, I gotta ask you this question. I asked Diego Diego Luna the same question. I am fascinated with what I refer to as neck tattoo confidence. Neck tack confidence. Where does where does that come from? The neck tack confidence.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I was like, all right, I've had I'm trying to think when I got it. When I got my neck tat, yeah, I was like, I've been playing for long enough now I feel like if I need to get a job after, I can do something in the game. So I think I'm safe to get a neck tat.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 4: I was holding out on it a bit just because of like, I don't know if I'm gonna have to work a nine to five or something after. But I figured, you know, hopefully if I if I'm gonna work, I can do something within the game, and and they're they're not going to be too pressed about it some necktat, So yeah, it's uh. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think it's awesome. I love Diego tattoos. I think I think they show us character and you know, allow him to be an individual, and yeah, it's it's awesome. I got asked the question today, if we're gonna have a tattoo count competition, so we we may be doing that in one of these one of these upcoming days.
Speaker 3: No, I love it, man. I think if you're in a scrap and you see a guy roll up on you on a neck tat, you better turn around and walk the other way, man. I mean it's I think it's a message.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, a little a little fake intimidation there, you know the vibe.
Speaker 3: Love it man. Well, look, welcome to Salt Lake. I do think you'll love it here. It's it's good living man, and best to luck, and we hope to see a debut on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Okay, I appreciate that. Thank you so much, all right.
Speaker 3: DeAndre Yedlin the newest member of Raal saw Lake who's accomplished almost all you can accomplish as a soccer player. Certainly raised here in the United States. He's a Seattle kid born in Seattle. Spent his early years in MLS with the Sounders fifty six appearances with them, spent a minute with my Tottenham Hotspur, but was transferred to Sunderland, and then made most of his European experience with Newcastle United one hundred and twelve appearances at three goals for them, spent a little time in Turkey, then came back and played for Miami. I think that was a DP acquisition for Miami. Was named captain, and then Miami acquired a guy named Liono Messi, and then DeAndre gave him the captain's arm band because well, you know, sixty five appearance with Miami, most recently with Cincinnati, fifty five appearances there, eighty five caps with the US men's national team. The only player that played for both the two thousand and twelve team, No. Twenty fourteen team in the twenty twenty two team. So that twenty fourteen team was with Nicky and Kyle, so played with Nick Romado Kyle Beckerman and then also made the twenty twenty two squad as kind of a vet there. So DeAndre has made the rounds. He's one of he might be, I don't know, the biggest star, individual star that we've ever had here playing for RSL. So DeAndre Yedlin the newest member of Royal sal Lake. He is a right back and that is a position that has been of need for a number of years, really since they sent Aaron Herrera on his way