Speaker 1: Straining live money. iHeartRadio. This is I on the Ball with Rivera and Jacob Salaz on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Winning the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jacob Zaus. Now we have Ryan with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll start with this. Some views out of Oklahoma DeMarco Murray have been suspended for game or for violations. This is another another violation regarding.
Speaker 4: He's on the Olkhahama stats. Yeah, okay, remember.
Speaker 2: He left here to go, right, He's still there, and he was here for like a cup of coffee, this dude who looked like you could still play a U of a under someone. And now he went over there and he's still there. So he didn't leave with the with Riley.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: I was looking at to see when he coached back in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah here, Yeah, he was here, like like I said, very very quickly.
Speaker 3: Right, switching over to some NFL news, There you.
Speaker 4: Go, Today's cutdown day right at two o'clock. Yeah, there's a lot of wait that was it? Was it?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 4: It was two o'clock our time. Okay, so that was a while ago.
Speaker 3: This is not regarding that. Okay, NFL owners have been approved for private equity investment. You go down to read what this is going to entail. So it allow equity firms to invest as limited partners. They could free up cash for owners to pursue projects such as stadium renovations.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me that the owners of the stadiums will be able to pay for the home stuff. I guess so, because typically they won't do They won't do it, right.
Speaker 4: I guess I don't get it because most of them have so much money. I guess that's why they have money, because they go find other people's money and do stuff with it. I guess. Yeah. But yeah, okay, right, yeah, but yeah, I mean I would like to see them pay for them damn stadiums for sure. Jerry Jones, Yeah, exactly. The guys, they're all billionaires, the whole bunch of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Uh, Kansas City chiefs, they are partying ways with Canarius Tony. I think he's a wide receiver. That's kind of a big, kind of a big move by Kansas City, one of the one of the big cuts today.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I'm sixteen now, and you know how much of a sportsman I am, Jay, And you follow it more than me, and your son does a lot, right because they're kids, and I used to be that guy. Now that I see cuts like former quarterbacks for I don't I don't remember some of these names. And it's not that I don't remember. They were just weren't big time guys.
Speaker 4: I sort of I sort of recognized that name.
Speaker 2: No exactly, and then I guess Tampa Bay let go a guy named John Woolford. I guess he was on the team for the Super Bowl. Have you heard that name? And it was exactly exactly. See these names that were on the rosters quarterbacks specifically, and I'm thinking, Okay, who was he in the first place. It's like the pickens thing or the picket thing. Here's this guy from Pittsburgh, big time guy, right, hometown guy, and now they have fields in Wilson.
Speaker 4: Where the picket go. He went to Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: I think he got cut. That's why he saw his name, which which makes kind of crazy sense. The pain, I mean, there's no places. It's like the the tray, the trade, not Trey the kid who went from San Francisco to Dallas. He didn't have a good he didn't have a good preseason, but he's stuck on. He's like he Trey Lance, right. And then the kid who went from uh where to balt to Buffett to Denver, the Jets. One of the Jets, Wilson.
Speaker 4: Wilson, No, No, and he's and he's upset. No, and he's he's upset that he didn't get the starting job. They gave it to bow Nicks.
Speaker 2: He was he was an oh the other guy that's yeah, that's a different guy. I'm talking about the guy who's going to b yu.
Speaker 4: Oh h.
Speaker 2: He's aid Denver to Yeah, he was, so he's like third or four streets. But to your point, yeah, he was upset that he didn't get the job, saying that I think I'm a first.
Speaker 4: I'm an NFL quarterback. Well you're you're not a starting NFL quarterback.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything about di on there? No, So you've seen that he's because of the reporter think in Denver, he's taking a lot of heat nationally. Ya. Do you think realistically that he'll be there another year? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I have a hard time that thinking that he he's gonna stick around after his kid who's gone? Kids leave?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And there's just too much fire there.
Speaker 4: Where's he gonna go? Is he gonna go coach in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Is gonna go anywhere?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean probably? But does he need to go anywhere?
Speaker 4: He doesn't need to go, And he didn't need to have this job. He took this right. You know, he coached because his kid was coming through college and.
Speaker 2: He would be good on TV and people will listen to him. But but you know, he doesn't need to do this. I mean, he's he's obviously not good at the criticism part of the jug very.
Speaker 4: Thin skin for sure, saying for somebody again who's done it all, we can tell everybody else to you know, pound sand right, and he still worries about what other people think, which would make no sense. Yep.
Speaker 3: I want to bring this up. This is kind of an interesting story. I in MLB Red Sox. He's now a Red Sox catcher. Danny Jensen, the Blue Jays and Red Sox they had a they had a game. I think it was like last month or something, maybe a couple months ago. We got postponed. They were going to pick it up, and Jansen actually got traded from the Blue Jays.
Speaker 4: Oh this is the guy who played right in the same game for both teams. Yeah, we had that. Yeah, yeah, that was that's funny as hell.
Speaker 2: In fact, it was not Couneil Norman. It was Eric Money, Eric Money. It was Sixers.
Speaker 4: Okay, but yeah, we that is kind of funny.
Speaker 3: I thought it was pretty interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is. That's really only happen. I'm just curious. You know, some of these Arizona guys, you know who made the you know, who made teams and who didn't cutdowns they think, you know, there's some thought that Jacob Cowing was gonna stick with the forty nine ers. I don't know if we've seen a final forty nine ers roster or anything like that. Oh here it is Daisy Desert Swarm, has it?
Speaker 2: Do they have the list?
Speaker 4: They do?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Okay, uh, fifty fifty three man rosters, Jacob Cowing forty nine ers, Tony Fields with the Browns, Demetrius Flannigan falls with the forty nine was going to be a starter, right right. Yeah, Folk is still kicking that he's with the Titans. Our buddy Roy Lopez. We love he's at He's with the Cardinals. Cardinals, he came home. He's with the Cardinals. Tanner McLaughlin made made the Bengals. Jordan Morgan obviously first round draft pick, made the Packers. And Christian Roland Wallace with the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Uh do we know about the kid who played here at Tucson High and went to Alabama?
Speaker 4: Uh? Levi Wallace, he's not even well, he's not a yeah, he's so he might he might be a barmber. Gary Brightwell got cut. Michael Wiley got cut. He scored a touchdown here at the end of the end of the season for whom the Commanders. Brid Well was with the Jaguars. Dame Crookshank, who's actually stuck around for quite a while. He's out at the Falcons. Jalen Harris was with the Commanders. He got cut. Lucas Haversack with the kicker, who got signed late by the Browns. He got cut. Tylermano with the Vikings got cut. J. J. Taylor, who's been in the league since he left here. He got cut from the Texans.
Speaker 5: D J.
Speaker 4: Williams, running back from last year, is out, and then I said, Michael Wiley and Christian Young.
Speaker 2: I did not make that tells you right there, with big names from here pasted.
Speaker 4: How difficult it is, how hard it is.
Speaker 2: Our guy, unfortunately, our guy, our guy that we had in with, the who got caught cheating or not cheating, he got gambling.
Speaker 4: His name the receiver. Come on, Steve, I.
Speaker 2: Asked you, because I don't remember he was at It wasn't he at the Mountain View?
Speaker 4: The kid? The kid here was the amount Beople?
Speaker 2: Well, he was here locally and then he got latched on and then he got.
Speaker 4: Uh, yes, he spent last year yet busted.
Speaker 2: So come on, I shouldn't bring it up when I know that we won't get you know, the score from seventy eight?
Speaker 4: What the hell? What do you go to say he was Buffalo? Yeah, okay, it'll come to us.
Speaker 2: We'll kind of look at each other as we leave the door today and say that's who it was, Yeah, because that's what we do.
Speaker 4: You know a lot of people thinking that be John Robinson could be the best running back in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well who would be something McCaffrey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean McCaffrey does more things, does more stuff. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Being a being a Mark Wins fan, I can say Robinson's gonna be a really good running back. I mean because i've I've been able to watch it.
Speaker 4: There he goes listener Bill Listen, Dave Stanley, Stanley Stanley Barry Hill listener Bill jam In Barry Hill like I was a baseball.
Speaker 2: No, thank you Bill for for.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I think I'm seeing I'm seeing this straight. I think, Uh, Levi Wallace, he's in Denver with the Broncos.
Speaker 2: With the Broncos, all right, Wow, what a career with per guy that just bet on himself. Yeah and ended up where he's ended up, six foot one seventy nine. He was like a buck fifty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this kid and walked on in Alabama of all places and made it. It's great, great story.
Speaker 2: I think he's Have you ever sends me a note? Stanley berry Hill is in the CFL. Good for him, ok, thank.
Speaker 4: You of making a living still that's important. Yeah, yeah, I think you signed a one year deal. Uh Wallace, Leve Wallace with the Broncos. Okay, all right, speaking of good for Jacob Cowing you really, I mean, you know, he made the most of it. You know, went went to went to UTAP, you know, did well there, God got in here, stayed here right, stuck around for that season last year. Really, I mean, that's that's what the transfer portal is supposed to be about. Right. You come from a program where you're not getting a lot of attention, a lot of love, go to a bigger program, do the work, you know, make a name, and then boom, he's in the NFL. Good for him. I'm happy for that guy. And he's got a kid, you know, the whole bit. You know, it's great to see like that.
Speaker 3: I do that right, anything else, I don't know if I don't know if you either of you saw this from last week, but it was in the Canadian Football League. They had a crazy ending to the game. So they were they were tied and there was a last second go goal attempts.
Speaker 4: They missed it.
Speaker 3: But in the CFL, if you you hit a field goal and you miss it but it goes to the end zone, you get a point.
Speaker 4: So they that's a rouge and that's how they won.
Speaker 3: That's how they won. They got a point won the game. So they were celebrating a miss field goal, but they they.
Speaker 4: Won the game.
Speaker 2: They probably knew that though, right, because if you kick the crap out of it and give them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I didn't even know that. That was pretty pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Look at walk off bunt? What was last time you saw walk off bunt? Remember this happened the over the WEF I was born. No, it happened on a Sunday in the Little League World Series.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, walk off bunt crazy the Little League World Series. Yeah, good stuff for it sounds it's not stat I think China is like twenty seven and five in World Series Championship games or something like that, and Florida was oh and eighth, yeah, in World Series Championship games. And then so if you're a gambling guy, which some people are, I understand, wink wink, yeah exactly. You have you got some games that you're you're looking at for this week, and I haven't looked at anything nothing. Well, you better start looking. If we got our fab five Friday pixel Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, No, I gotta look. I haven't looked. I don't even know who forgot. I gotta pay for your entry this week, yes you do, yes, you pre rolling it this year?
Speaker 4: You know I just don't feel like I can that it's possible for me to be as bad as I was last year. I just don't think that can happen again.
Speaker 2: The bar has been because it was you were like finished, like what.
Speaker 4: I was low, way down there. I was way down.
Speaker 2: There, finished in eighty eighth, I think it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was way way down there. It was not good. It was bad because I did I did pretty good on uh you know, on on the gambling sites because I was not picking the games that I was picking on our show. So those games, those were all losses. So I had other games that were winners and I did. I did pretty well last year. I got the scheduled.
Speaker 3: Okay, I believe that in Georgia, Georgia playing WHOI.
Speaker 4: Clemson, there's a bunch of good games Clemson, Georgia, Texas A and M Notre Dame L s U and you L s U and USC in Vegas. They're they're you know, look A there's gonna be great games every week every week because of the because of the new you know, the new conferences and stuff. I mean, some of the these conference games, they people they can't dog dodge each other anymore. You gotta play people. You know, Texas has got to play Alabama and and and all that stuff. It's all those those things are gonna be fun, and I'm looking forward to all that. There's gonna be great college football games every weekend. They're playing Michigan in week two. Yeah, exactly. Yeah, And that's what I'm saying, because you know what, you can play those games and if you lose, it doesn't mean you're out of the National champions Florida hopeful. All right, let's take a break. We're going to come back. Steve Quiz, former sports director here in Tucson. Also, he's gonna be the sideline reporter for the Arizona for Arizona Radio at the game on Saturday, so stick around for that.
Speaker 6: The Wind is more than a window store.
Speaker 7: The Windows Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model. Shop the aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel Today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 8: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 8: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 6: On twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 5: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's show Time Cards at Noble Home Loans. We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitments to Lyndrix sync credit rates and available loan programs or subjects change with undubice.
Speaker 9: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards to az dot com.
Speaker 10: Gut bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes and ohs, It's Steve Rivera and Jagen Salmons. This is I on the Book on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Jiginsausnnaphone. We have Steve Quis. He's the Wildcat's twelve ninety sideline reporter, formerly of KLD, formerly of this and that San Diego, doing so many things. Thank you something, Steve. You're gonna be kind of home. I'm going to call this home for you for a while. It was home for a long time. Did you you know we all had to kind of reinvent ourselves. Jay's had to reinvent himselves himself. I've had to do it a few times. You did a great job of it. Having left here to go to San Diego. You've got thrown a curveball. Now you have to me, at least by my vision, you have a pretty good life.
Speaker 11: I do, as a matter of fact, and I do. I was listening to the beginning of Your Guys show. I have to take some exception to what Jay said. I think he said I had some ties to TuS On Arizona, and I'm thinking, I've been a PMA County taxpayer since nineteen eighty nine. For goodness sakes, I just stopped made the thirty first when I sold my last property there across from University of Arizona. But guess what I get to come back like sixty days later. But yeah, I reinvented myself. I want to say. When I was doing Pottery Baseball play by play after what the twenty ten season, and you know, we all got moved out because the station didn't want to broadcast anymore and they were bringing dick Enberg on, I was like, I don't know if I can make it to the you know, sixty two in the finish line in this broadcasting business. So I'm actually a full time college administrator back in San Diego and got a bunch of properties that I manage as well, and then do this sideline broadcasting thing. And it's like got Father three right, And they's like they keep pulling me back, right, but they keep pulling me back, and you know, I probably do about one hundred and ten events a year free lance. So the phone keeps ringing. If they want me to come, I'll come.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, it is. So tell you a little bit about this gig here. You're going to be the sideline guy. Is that different from other stuff that you've been doing. You've been more in the booth, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've been doing more like what Brian's been doing. But you know, I started my career kind of as a sideline guy doing high school football. It's a lot of fun, and I think the thing I'm looking most forward to is when looking at that depth chart. I know, you know Brian was talking a little bit about the depth chart, but five of those starting eleven guys, sorry, five of the twenty two starters are going to be on that surveyed football team that you know I basically broadcast two years ago when they were all seniors. You know, Noah and Manu and Burnett. I think is a starter now at tight end. So that's gonna be a lot of fun being down there. And I've had some relationships with them. I mean, I know you know Noah's parents pretty well. I bet you will be on a couple of flights or in the ubers because we're gonna have about the same flight schedule where I know, I know missus Fafitte is watching Dash play at football in southern California and then we all got a race over to the Wildcat football and volleyball in in the fall here on Saturday. So it should be a lot of fun. But it's not a you know, it's pretty easier just you're kind of like an investigative reporter on the sideline and you know, figuring out what's going on, and it's it's quite the it's quite the challenge, to be quite honest with you.
Speaker 2: So when these guys, these kids decided to come to Arizona and a team I decided Oregon to come here, what were your impressions Arizona's going to be.
Speaker 11: What exactly what it is today? I mean, you know, I I even remember I watched one of the opens that I had and I I said, this was before modern day survey game. I said, you know, know, if a Feat will be the starting quarterback this time next year at Arizona, and then Arizona's going to just take off, and so you could see the talent and you know, maybe Noah didn't have the size, but he certainly had the heart. Every one of those guys had the heart. And Manu was a kid that I just kept seeing play and you know, he was kind of under recruited, and I was like, I think I need to go out and talk to a few people about that. So at the time, my daughter was in the athletic department at Sandigo State and I said, you guys got to come out look at this outside linebacker. And thankfully they didn't, you know, they said, hey, you don't know what you're talking about. We're going to be fine here. And thankfully, you know, Jed Fish and his team were able to you know, get in there and get him and then lay the groundwork for you know, what Brett Brennan's going to be doing here moving forward.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So have you, I don't know, put some thought into what these guys are going to look like this year or what you expect to see on Saturday night.
Speaker 11: I really haven't. I actually got the job about i'd say eight days ago, so I was focusing on some other stuff. But I'm starting to read up on it now, and you know, I mean, the the Alamo Bowl victory is clear in our minds. And I've always admired what coach Brennan has done. I thought, you know, four years ago, he probably should have been the choice, right he was sort of the runner up to coach Fish. But he's you know, he ran that San Jose State program and recruited in California almost the way that Dick Tomy did in the late eighties and early nineties. You know, when you remember getting those undersized guys like Waldrop and Hoffman and Bruski out of you know, out of the Sacramento area and then you know, guys out of Imperial County and everything. And that's what Brett was doing. Because I've called the state high school football championships in Arizona now for the last four I'm sorry, in California for the last fourteen years, and so I've seen all those kind of undersize really you know, awesome guys go to San Jose State because maybe either just a little bit shorter or can't bench as much or not as fast. And what he did with them a couple of years ago, and what he'll probably do with his Arizona team. Nothing surprises me. And quite frankly, I don't think they'll lose a step this year, to be honest with you, even moving from the Pac twelve to the to the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what makes those kids special, the ones that you talked about that survey.
Speaker 11: Well, great families.
Speaker 10: First of all.
Speaker 11: I mean every single one of them. The best player on the team. It's funny if you if you were to ask me during that year, like if you could take one player you were an NBA general manager or you're a head coach, it wouldn't have been one of the Arizona kids. It actually would have been Mason Graham, right, who won a national championship at Michigan last year. He was great on the defensive and offensive line. But all of those guys had just amazing families. I mean, we know Burnett right, I mean with Chester being here in the nineties as a linebacker. The Fafeitas are great. I still tailgate from time to time with Less Noah's dad. Just you know, they started to play in Orange County in kind of youth football. They got away from Pop Warner. They started this. You know, I think it was like the Orange County I can't remember the name of the team that they were on, but they were, you know, they were playing big time football. And all those kids went to the Trinity League and the parents were great, and they just had heart, Like you could just see with Noah, they had heart. They had really no business at Survey two years ago, even getting to the championship game, although they were a tenth ranked team in the country at the time. But you know, because there was a five star at every position for Modern Day and a five start every position for Bosco. But these guys are just so talented and had so much more heart that you know, they persevered and it's exactly they're doing exactly at the college level what they what they did on the high school level, and it is really starting to stand out. And you know, I couldn't be more prouder of them. I don't I don't talk to any of them at all. I mean I more talked to some of the parents, but you know, just that that steadiness and the and the good coaching, and you know, if if they didn't all have to play two ways, with the exception of Noah and and Keon, they probably would have won that that Southern Section championship in the state championship two years ago when they were all seniors.
Speaker 4: So will you, uh when you're doing when you're doing the game on Saturday, we just kind of keep an eye on those guys and at an opportunity, you know, be able to talk about them. Is that? I mean you can't kind of go in with an idea of what, you know, what you're looking for.
Speaker 11: No, I think you just let it just play out, right, You just okay what happens. You know, we could fumble, you know, a bunch of kickoffs, like you know, I mean, think about two years ago going to that Arizona Areason a state game and it was fourteen, nothing less than a minute in, right, all your stories go out the window. Yeah, and now you're just kind of reacting. So you just you just react to it. And I you know, I don't think those kids know I'm coming. I've they probably don't even care. But a few of them might, you know, look up. Noah might look up, or Tack might look up and and give me a wink or something and say, hey, man, I kind of know this game. That'll be kind of fun.
Speaker 2: That's That's what I do when I see you Hey, I can't.
Speaker 4: He winks at you. So yeah, I.
Speaker 11: Mean, you know, you've got to be you got to be really concise. You don't have a lot of time to go down and tell the stories like I'm telling you guys right now. You know you you you basically just got a report on injuries. Maybe talk to the coach, you know, pre and you know, at the end of the halfs or coming out of the locker room and stuff, and then maybe there'll be more pre your post game. I don't know, we haven't really gone over it. And quite frankly, I'm also coming there to call three Arizona volleyball game, so I'm, uh, you know, I'm looking into that a little bit more than uh than Saturday night. And although I'm very excited to join Brian and I'm glad I made that phone call to him like eight or nine days ago and said, Hey, how you doing, I'm coming back to Arizona and I'm going to be there, And he goes, hey, you want to do that?
Speaker 10: Sure?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 11: Man, let's do it?
Speaker 2: Because he said they're looking for a guy, and you probably called right at the right time exactly, So.
Speaker 11: What else do I just said, you know, I'm going to be there anyway. I just looked like ninth flights, So I'm going to be there for the first four games. I love to help you out, you know, I don't know if I can go to Kansas State. I'll let Matt and those guys do that. But you know, because I still have a bunch of, you know, stuff I've got to do back here in San Diego. But more than happy to help wherever they need to put me.
Speaker 4: So tell some of the other stuff you're doing, right because that you know, there's a whole new structure to stuff, you know as it relates to Arizona and you know here you know ESPN plus those kinds of things. So what else were you going to be doing.
Speaker 11: I'm going to do all the home volleyball matches. I believe there's fourteen of them, including there's that Cactus Classic this week where Arizona takes on Boise State on Friday night, and then we have leave VCU Saturday and Tennessee State Sunday. So I'll be doing the play by play for that, and they're you know contractually now that it's a conference that's you know, an all ESPN conference. You know, the school's got to produce a certain amount of games. Whatever that is, I'm not sure sure, but they're going to start with volleyball, and so I've been contracted to do those fourteen volleyball matches. I do Big West volleyball out here for you See San Diego, both the men and the women. So I'm looking forward to switching and going to the Big twelve and doing that and still doing women's soccer for you See San Diego. But we've had this kind of ESPN platform where we've had to do a lot of games produced by the schools. We've done it now, who I'm in my eighth year there at you See San Diego, so I'm kind of used to what you know, Arizona might need and what a new, you know, upstart program having to do a lot of this stuff in house has to do. So I'm looking forward to that, and we we start with volleyball and after that, I who knows where it goes, but hopefully they'll all be positive.
Speaker 4: You know, Steve, as much fun as we've always made of the Pac twelve network, it was great because we got we knew where to go get those games right. Explain this, you know, produced by the schools. You said, what what did the schools have to do to get their you know, their other sport you know on you know, on the platform.
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, so what we I can only speak on behalf of U see San Diego. But I'm sure it'll be a similar model at Arizona. But you know, we had to go and we went out. We built not one, but two studios, and then we do at UCSD about one hundred and fifty events over nine sports. So you know, it's it's it's quite the the undertaking. You know, you got to you got to build studios, and you got to have production trucks and people to work that and man it you know, it probably takes anywhere between nine and twelve people a game, including the talent, to get those games on the air, and then they you know, they stream on the app. And so you know, before you've seen PAC twelve network, a lot of those games that were on PAC twelve network. You might have watched Arizona volleyball on PAC twelve network last year. It'll be now on ESPN Plus, right, and so you know, if you get the streaming app, which I have, it's you know, it isn't it isn't very expensive. And you know, I sit back and watch, you know, all the games that I do, and and I do a lot of scouting on there too. For you know, West Soccer. We're playing somebody, I can watch them a few weeks ahead, and most everything is archived for a month, so you can go back and watch, and you can watch on demand, and you can watch live, and you can watch in the car and while you're at the dentist's office. So it's really kind of cool and I think it will benefit, you know, the Arizona fan. It's certainly going to enhance the experience. And looks like we've got a lot of good people working on volleyball. There'll be some folks that we're producing the PAC twelve network games that'll be coming over. And you know, I've done this now for thirty six years of play by play.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 11: You know, hopefully I'll do a good job. And the color analysts we're gonna use as a beach volleyball coach too, So McKenna, So that'll be McKenna Martin, who I think played at at Arizona under David Rubio. So this will be fun. I mean, I remember covering that program back in the nineties when I was at University of Arizona, and I talked to data to Charita Stubbs, who's in her second year right, and her and I were in college at the same time. She graduated in ninety four. I graduated in ninety two, so it was kind of like a reunion week. So it's fun. I'm looking forward to getting back there, and I'm actually looking forward to getting back there as just an employee and not a landlord anymore. I had a bunch of properties across from the U of A, and every time some kid flushed the toilet, the pipes blew up, and I was out ten thousand dollars. So not happy somebody's going to be paying me instead of me paying the local plug.
Speaker 2: I hate when rich people can play I hated, I hated.
Speaker 11: I wish I was, I wish I was. You know, my son was my client for the longest time. I had some other kids in there, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, rich people probably I got my violin OUTSI I'll play it for you on Saturday. Hey, let me let me ask you a question. I don't know if you it's been kind of a little old news. Bill Walton passed away a couple of months ago. Did you work with him?
Speaker 11: Funny story. I never ever worked with him. However, I worked at a company that in Lloyd him as an ambassador. It was a for profit institution. I'm not even going to tell you how much money we paid him. Because you want rich, rich people problems, I'd probably you know, have the sec coming after me. But I only met him a couple of times. And as a matter of fact, when I left Arizona, you know, Luke was there. I left him two thousand, so Luke was still playing at Arizona. And then when I became the voice of San Diego State on television out here in basketball, Chris Walton was playing and I would see Bill, but he didn't really you know, he didn't really want to interact with me. And then when he worked for our company, him and I were both working at ESPN and doing national games, and I said to him one day, I introduced myself. I said, hey, I you know, I do a lot of Mountain West and some West Coast conference and he kind of just looked at me, like, no, you don't. And that was that was he walked away, and that was that, you know, I was like, hey, we're colleagues at ESPN, and he's like.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know.
Speaker 11: You know, he's a great guy.
Speaker 4: He's a great guy.
Speaker 11: Nice about it. Yeah, that was my only interaction with him. But I'm sorry that he passed because you know, it was very, very sad. I didn't realize he was sick until the very end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: We appreciate your time. We'll see you on the weekend. Stay sack, stay safe.
Speaker 4: And you what have you ever heard I'm sure you've heard the term be sure to unwait yourself if they're coming your way on the sideline there. Okay, don't don't yeh, don't get your knees torn up.
Speaker 11: No, I know I've been up in the broadcast booth when many of any individual has been taken down on the sideline exactly, So it should be fun. Hopefully I can bring us a victory.
Speaker 4: All right, man, thanks a bunch, Thanks Steve.
Speaker 11: All right, thanks guys, I'll see you this weekend.
Speaker 2: We will Steve Chus one of our favorites.
Speaker 4: Yea good guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go and come back and maybe we'll get a call to all right, if you're an Arizona man's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for newly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Loot is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 8: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman Huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 2: And your life.
Speaker 8: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Pema Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PIMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 12: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big what your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today. That really insured and CUA.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 10: A team?
Speaker 5: Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security cards and events staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 4: For over twenty years.
Speaker 2: We want you to join the Action.
Speaker 5: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team The A Team. Apply online today at a team security dot net.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back toying the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, Jeez jigins awascover guy Ryan with us for the next sixteen minutes and then we're calling it a day. Did you see that Arizona just tired or made some changes in the.
Speaker 4: Basketball Yes, that's for guys that we're added to the basketball staff. I don't know what what means. What's their jobs are? Okay, So there's you know, there's so many coaches and staff on all these afts anymore like you look at you, I mean they got two rows of staff at the oh, you know basketball games anymore.
Speaker 2: Lou used to have an onourage. These guys have really big entourage. Yeah, so I didn't know this that. Additionally, with the recent changes in n CUAA rules increasing the numbers of on court coaches, well hell there's another five hundred thousand dollars in salaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got to coach for every player anymore. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, so I didn't see that. Obviously, Jack Murphy and Steve Robinson a the top assistance. But rim Becha, Muss and Kenna uh have become more official. I guess that's the right phrase. But uh, hey win some games. Just win baby, you know what.
Speaker 4: And if they're gonna pay to do stuff, then you're gonna do stuff, right, you know, maybe you can be He was.
Speaker 2: At the Lulosen camp over the weekend. He was, you know, making the rounds to Tommy. Oh you know he had to go Seawan's are Kenny?
Speaker 4: Suh? You know? How did how did it all? Though? It was really good?
Speaker 2: It was good. Yeah, the first time Sean had been there. He was. Yeah, they enjoyed it because it was fun. Kenny, who kind of surly when he was here, kind of not talkative and accurate, was your He was.
Speaker 4: Real friendly with me and I don't know, I don't know why he's trying to. Yeah, so he was.
Speaker 2: He was a little surly blah blah blah, but he was. He was fantastic. All the guys loved him. He was into it. He gave Pete a lot of hell uh, the compete and these dudes compete because they had to lose. But it was good.
Speaker 4: It was good.
Speaker 2: You know, it's you know, without Loo, it's different for me. But but they had a fun time.
Speaker 4: Ye fun time, you know how Elliot look he had some you know, he had the issue.
Speaker 2: Not very then. I would I hate him because he's so looks young obviously doesn't really change much. Yeah, but enjoyed his time and just very even tempered, you know, even even keeled.
Speaker 4: Harvey Ma was there. Look Harvey, Yeah, you know, he's just got it. He just got a cool look about him.
Speaker 2: And he walks like, oh, he's the president of the Gray Dude, I gotta you gotta be cool, cool talking about rich people problems and just this dude's I mean, they're dude with dudes. But back forty years ago now almost look at these people get a potential the Major League Hall of Famer. You got a former All American First Team now radio big time radio guy, TV guy, and Sean Harvey, the president of Grammy. Uh and then No Black who's a big time attorney here. I mean, these dudes are no slouches.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, no, yeah, they aren't. And that's cool. It's called a Sean came down though.
Speaker 2: You know it was fantastic. Yeah, because he doesn't come back very often.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so it was good. He's busy, dude, Yeah, or they act busy, they tell us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well he was part of the part of my book from two years ago. When I finally finished twenty four, I had twenty four chapters ready. I've been trying to nail down Sean for months, and I said, this book is not going to work or people are going to create a says me. If I don't have to, I don't get it. And he was the last dude I had to write a chapter, and I said, Sean, I need you. I was not begging him, but I was like begging God. I thought he was in Mexico with his wife and I'm thinking, give you thirty minutes that's all it was exactly. He gave you the Yeah, but you don't come up home with the book PEP without.
Speaker 4: You got it? Yeah, the best player ever got that's something you got to You got to be in there. Very cool, all right, cool. I don't know, man, Steve, you know, getting ready for the season starts tomorrow. There's a bunch of games tomorrow, Yeah, Tesday, Wednesday, Mark because do they are they on Thursday?
Speaker 2: Who they play?
Speaker 4: I know, I know that the Colorado North Dakota State game is on Thursday.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a good game. That should be fun. It should be a good game.
Speaker 4: It should be fun. On North Carolina Minnesota. That should be a decent a decent game. Who else at Stanford and TCU so uh, that's actually that Friday. There aren't as many games on Thursdays. There's a bunch of f C s versus FBS games. There's only a couple of FBS UH games, North Carolina Minnesota and the Coastal Carolina and and your friend uh rich rot gets gets it going with Jacksonville State against Coastal Carolina Thursday.
Speaker 2: We well, Coastal Carolina historically.
Speaker 4: Is pretty good. And then but but Talas issue. They're playing Wyoming Thursday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday. But again we're mentioning there's there's some you know, there's just gonna be a lot more good games weekend and week out. Okay, looking at the schedule this week coming up on Saturday, You've got Clemson in Georgia, got Penn State in West Virginia. You've got I mentioned, uh, Texas, Texas, A and M, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida and Florida. What's another one you've got? Uh?
Speaker 2: You want which side of you want?
Speaker 4: I'm on point spreads on These are the DraftKings points spreads. These are a month olds.
Speaker 2: Give me give me a A and M.
Speaker 4: Not today that was that that's three met Texas and M by three and that game is at Texas, A and M.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gone though.
Speaker 4: You got you got L s U and and USC on Sunday. Or is that that's Vegas?
Speaker 2: That's in Vegas, Switzerland?
Speaker 8: One there.
Speaker 4: Because the one the lines I was looking at like a month old, so let me call it up real quick. But but again the point being that there's there's it's gonna be like that weekend and week out because because these teams got to play each other, not because they're all they're all in the same conferences. Let me, let me get back.
Speaker 2: We started picks Friday, then right.
Speaker 4: Friday, we gotta make picks on Friday. Let me going down, going down, going down. There's so many games, but somebody who are that are not h F B S games here it is L s U man that that's dropped because the L s U was favored by six. Now it's four. You got Arizona's still thirty and a half, as U by six and a half against Wyoming. I don't know that. I don't even touch that.
Speaker 2: Can no, too many, too many, too many, too many, you know, way too many unknowns.
Speaker 4: UCLA's got to go to Hawaii. Ul's giving fourteen there. Let's see what happens there. Notre Dame Texas name is there's still three Texas name by three at Texas A and M. Kansas State plays UT Martin. They're up favored by thirty six. Somebody's favorite by fifty. I can't remember who that was. There's there's a fifty point spread somewhere. What else do we have? Let's see, I know, I don't know scho called Merrimack even played football. Texas got Colorado State. They're thirty one and a half. They're a favorite for that, you know up there for the oh Ohio State giving forty eight and a half to accurate? Would you take that?
Speaker 2: No, just too many points?
Speaker 4: Would you take grip?
Speaker 2: No? I wouldn't even it's one too many unknowns to it. That's a lot of points.
Speaker 4: Miami Florida favored by two and a half over Florida. Interesting game.
Speaker 2: Well that's the that's the next school you have to watch because the Florida doesn't do well?
Speaker 4: Right what next?
Speaker 2: Oh dear, I don't unpack that skin, leave that alone.
Speaker 4: Leave that box packed down, the one that's.
Speaker 2: His kitchen new densils.
Speaker 4: Believe that one? Uh Clinton? Uh. Georgia giving thirteen and a half the Clemson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be a big game. Obviously, Georgia's Georgia double is gonna be in the fire real quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they lose by two touchdowns to Georgia. People are gonna lose their minds of Clemson. And then you've got Penn State giving eight at West Virginia.
Speaker 2: I don't determine how kind of good West Virginia is gonna be didn't because some people have them good in some.
Speaker 4: People well some that there they were in the top twenty five for sports as them in their top twenty five Stanford and Stanford getting nine from TCU that came to that Stanford. I don't know. It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: So did you see this that the NC double A is proposing or maybe official I can't remember, is eliminating the We're going to put the transfer portal for thirty days in December and would be the only from December to January and no longer in April.
Speaker 4: Oh that that would be the only time it's open except unless a coach leeds, right, right, if a coach leeds, the transfer portal opens for that school, right. Yeah. Interesting, they got to get that under control. I mean, you can't have guys leaving it all different times of the year right now? Again, will that hold up in court?
Speaker 2: You know that's the whole thing. It's the It's it's the court.
Speaker 4: I mean, NC double A can we want to do whatever they want to do.
Speaker 2: Right, it's the court ten NC double A zero. They're getting crushed at every moment they haven't and probably Rightley's all given all the history.
Speaker 4: They again, they've done so much to create this themselves. Yeah. Yeah, I mean everybody who who roots for the NC double a ever, not not Tarcanian, nobody does. They really don't. I mean they just you know, it's just because they've been so I don't want to say abusive, but just been so kind of unfair to so many people over time, you know, so they were in what they've created.
Speaker 2: This year, more than nine hundred FBS scholarship players entered the portal in the month of April after the nc was forced to drop its one time transfer restrictions. The twenty three portal cycle saw a record breaking number of transactions yet again, with more than twenty seven hundred FBS scholarship transfers.
Speaker 4: It's and how many of them got, you know. I guess what I don't know is if you go into portal and nobody takes you, are you still on the team.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Are you just out?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Anybody out there, Troy, if you're listening, I don't think so. I think you made the decision to put yourself in limbo. You're gonna stay there. If nobody wants you. So you're you're out of a scholarship, you're out of Jay knowing I already know the answer, knowing how you act with these the guy's gone, you're gonna keep him back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, you're gonna feel that. You're gonna feel it. You're gonna feel the spot. I guess it answers itself. Sorry, son, Yeah, you laughed. Guy?
Speaker 2: You see that door?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, you want to talk? Oh god, how many and how many jumped into the portal.
Speaker 2: The twenty seven hundred for the year nine hundred in April, and how many of them got Yeah? But doesn't say that, It doesn't say that, But that's the hit. You gotta make it this smart decision. You gotn't make it a smart decision. It's like I said this about Michael Wright back in two thousand and one when he decided to leave.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: He left early after his junior year. He was heck heck of a player, college player, but he was a between her sixty seven six ' eight if that could rebound like nobody else, but he couldn't shoot and he needed to play near the basket, So he left. What was options in the NBA? Not likely?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Not likely, so he uses probably go to Europe and do something else, but he decided to leave. Well, good, good for you, Michael, and I hope it goes well. But what do you do? Because he was a betweener, he was not good enough for the NBA and and not good enough for certain areas of the game.
Speaker 4: So I'm reading something and I don't know where this came from him looking but back in February it says that only about thirty percent of players that go into the portal.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I don't know who he had on the show, and I don't want to give a bad name, but they leave. And Okay, so now they are two years, three years into a school, right, they're going to school, into a school towards the diploma. Now they go somewhere, they don't do their credits and stuff. They don't get a degree. They're just kind of in nimbo out there floating away. Yeah, And that's the sad part of it, because they're on their way to becoming the you know, grad at that school or whatever school and then they don't finish.
Speaker 4: Man. And the thing is so often to the so often these kids there's still kids making emotional snap decisions and not looking at you know, the big picture. Right.
Speaker 2: Were you here Tuesday? You were here Thursday, right when we had Troy Troy in the house and we were talking about the transfer portals, and I was like shocked, shocked about the transfers and the kids not getting paid. Will come here, Ryan, we got money for you. You get there and they don't pay you, which creates I'm getting the hell out of here.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I was just shocked, Jay, Really, I hadn't heard that, and you saw how I was, Ryan, right, I was thinking this is happening. I was like, this is they're not paying the kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, this number that I gave, Yet that's across all the divisions, all in all the divisions.
Speaker 2: That's still a big number.
Speaker 4: That that that there were a total of thirty one thousand athletes in the portal at one time, and only because that's all all the sports division Division one, Division two and everything like that, and only thirty percent enrolled in new schools. This was as a February of twenty twenty four. I believe this was something. This was something posted by I'm trying to figure out how posted that, where that came from the Cardinals and Cream. What is that is that? It looks like an Oklahoma based uh something or anyway, I don't know where they where that comes from? Who they are hulled Cardinal and Cream. Oh, it's a it's a student publication of the of Union University in Jackson, Tennessee. So apparently they did a study and then that's what they came up with. So there you go. But you know you're right. I mean, it does answer itself because if you leave, they got to go get somebody to fill yourself. Sure, so you leave, you don't, You don't you don't have anywhere to.
Speaker 2: Come back, and you know they don't want to be there, right, Well.
Speaker 4: And maybe you ask if you can come back. But I'm a coach. I'm saying you left, you know you left. Sorry, We love you, but I'm sorry. Yeah out of here. See, you wouldn't want to be you chasing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I'm trying to. You know, we're solving the problems here in Tucson. So on the show not our own, but everybody else is.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, good show today. We're trying to get some people for tomorrow. We have our show sept for Friday, so tomorrow and then Thursday, we'll try to catch up with some formal.
Speaker 4: Players and bring you some beat writers on Friday covering the game both for New Mexico and Arizona. We'll have Justin Spears here. So yeah, we're year enough for this game coming up.
Speaker 2: Yes, so maybe we'll get a couple of good guys stay.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, Steve. Hump Day means we're going to be on the downhill side of the week, headed towards the game. Yes, we're planning our tailgate a fat Mic, Yes, you can come to my tailgate. But you said you're going to get a hold of me, and I gave you my even gave I gave fat Mic my cell number.
Speaker 2: He texted me last night, says you think I said. He'll love you there. He'll be a celebrity there.
Speaker 4: As long as he comes and helps us folds some tents.
Speaker 2: Don't talk about the Cowboys though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't bring the cowboys stuff over alright. Hey, we'll see you guys tomorrow.