Speaker 1: Go off, Bason, go out of your mind butt a homecoming win on a rainy night here in bowler, HiT's sober in one over time, thirty eight and thirty one.
Speaker 2: A bit more pep in their step? Why not? The Broncos had come on the road and beaten Tampa Bay here at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa by a final score of twenty six to seven.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it, Broncos country tonight, Benjamin ol Brighten, Nick Ferguson, Grant Smith here with you. Five six, six, nine zero is the text. And I'm gonna run out to the commons sparrel hotline though right away. Bring on a good friend from CBS, that is romy Bean Roamy. Exactly how low were the valleys and high were the peaks in the final five seconds of the CU game?
Speaker 2: For you? Oh that was an ald timer. I got to tell you what, when when Will Shepherd dropped that first hail Mary, I was like, all right, well they gave it a go, Like okay, I'm packing my bag, getting ready to go to post game, like lightning doesn't strike toys come on and then the you know, it's funny, the Lejontay Western catch actually posted that and you can hear the collective silence, like the whole stadium holding their breath, and then he comes up with it and you see it from all the angles that he came up with. It just absolutely unreal, the swing of emotions, and then to end it the way that it ended with Travis Hunter, give the man the heisman. I mean, unbelievable and all time finished. One thing about this Colorado team. You will be entertained one way or the other.
Speaker 3: BROMI, Yeah, you will be entertained, that is one thing for sure. But the guy who was really entertaining is shardor Sanders, because that pass doesn't get down to field unless he actually do it. How impressed have you been? What's your door? Understanding the challenges that he is still fighting through witches, the protection of the CU buffs alone.
Speaker 2: I think the thing about Shadi Sanders and why everybody always says when two's on the field, you always got a chance, is because he finds a way to fight, especially mentioned the protections. Sometimes he's waiting for these long developing plays to develop for too long, and so you're getting these sacks which can be split right between the protections and sometimes it's him. But when it comes down a crunch time, when it comes down to needing a big play, Chador finds a way to make it happen. And I think something that got lost in the conversation too is even the play to Marion Miller, that touchdown play, which was bonkers as well Amari and keeping his knee off the ground, but Shador evading the sack and making that one happen. He has an ability to make plays happen when they just shouldn't be happening the way he immediately kind of read that defense rolled out for the hail Mary. He's a playmaker in that way, and that's why a lot of people will say he'll be he'll be a great fit in the NFL, because when things aren't going right, when things are falling apart around him, finds the way to make a big play happen.
Speaker 1: Who's the better magician over the weekend? Was it Chador on that play or was it bo don't call him, Michael Vick on the sack would be sack? I guess lost. This guy coming around the edge and he takes off of the twenty plus yard run.
Speaker 2: That is that is a that's a tough question. I'm gonna have to give it to Shador because of the timing of the play, the zeros on the clock, what it meant to that game, an absolutely unbelievable impact play. Has to give it to Shador. But Boe Nicks showed that he has got what Russell Wilson didn't, not to knock on Russell what a lot of quarterbacks don't. And he just has that instinct that he can feel the rush coming up behind him. A lot of guys will say, right, you can't teach that you have it or you don't. You've got it. He feels it. And how many times in the past, how many Broncos quarterbacks we've seen that exact same play and they just get crushed right with a guy flop and right on top of him. And bow showed that, well, I guess not a young age technically, but it's very young in his NFL career that he has got that ability to escape and make good plays. And so to give you so much excitement of what it what could be next? From BONI? What is it?
Speaker 3: What does it say about the Broncos? Because here's the team is heading into Week four and the same conversation continues to come up how the run game has yet to get on track. And I know after the Pittsburgh still his game, there was kind of a word commitment to the run game, but we haven't seen it thus far. In to boot your quarterback once again. Is now up there as far as averaging five point nine yard to carry, which puts him thirty six. I believe when you look at quarterbacks and running backs, that's eleven slots ahead of some of the running backs in the league. But what does that say when the Broncos are still saying the same thing, we can't get the run game going.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one of those things you love to see bow run. He should not be the leading rusher on the tape. You don't want to see that by any means. And I think that it's very clear it's the time to make a change at running back one. So we'll move off and Tyler today that new pronunciation. I don't know when that happened, but anyway, have shown to be so much more explosive, so much more dynamic than Javonte Williams. I get bringing in Javonte. You know, when you want to keep drivs going, you know, kind of a bruising third down back. I think that's a better fit in this offense right now. I think he's clearly having a rough start to the season. It feels like he still has never been him felt since the injury. You wonder if his confidence is not a little bit. But I think it's time to give Julia mcgofflin running back one have him starting the game, because every time he gets out there, he's just so much more dynamic, and you could feel a lot more confident. I think in a run game picking up when you have that dynamic, I think they got a shuffle the depth chart there at running back and move Javonte Williams down, And I just think.
Speaker 1: You do well at least find at least figure out a distribution plan that makes sense. I think you can move Tovonte more to this Samantre, p Ryan Roll and Tyler Bady Bidet. I call him Battie. I mean to me, it feels like you've just you know, you've missed the market here third times to charm when you're gonna people talk about your last name. I call him a batty because he's busting them off like a batty. But I look at the end of the day, finding the hot hand is sort of the way to go here. I liked that Javonte was breaking a couple of tackles. Of course, he broke one and then fumbled the football and the play that got him into the doghouse. But you know, if you're gonna be what this team wants to be, and you could sort of see what Chempayte wants to do here, you're going to have to find a way to run the football with the backs in addition to the quarterback. And they did run the rpo there. We saw that nick where they had little RPO play Bo kept it and got a few yards out of it. But they're gonna have to find a way to establish that run in order to set everything else up. And it doesn't matter who's back there, whether it's Jalie, where it's Javonte, whether it's Tyler Baty, whether it's Order Guestime whomever. He doesn't feel like they've had any sort of commitment to that whatsoever. How do how does this team find a way to take the ball out of the quarterback's hands and establish the run in a sense, in a way that makes sense for this offense.
Speaker 2: You know, this is one of those things that frustrates me so much because I asked all these people who play foot ball and all those football people like you just kind of like, don't you just have to do it, like you're going to commit to the run. You have to commit to the run even if you get a bunch of those little two yard game two yard game. You just see how quickly they abandon the run game. And it requires discipline, It requires coaching to stick to the run game and not abandon it when things aren't aren't going well. Because, as you all know, every cliche in the book, right, running game is the quarterback's best friend, blah blah blah. But it's so true, and it's big for the offensive line as well, who played great. Don't get me wrong, they absolutely played great, But running or offensive lineman traditionally do love the run game. Right, they get to be the bullies, you're the one hitting first. So I think it just comes down to coaching. You have to commit to the run game. And I think of all kind of well not all, but we've certainly seen with this team there's no sort of consistencies. Really, they don't ride the hot hand, so the best way to get that going is Okay, I said move Javonte, maybe don't do that. Do what you said, Ben, Just whoever is the hot hand? Key feeding the hot hand? Right, You got to have that consistency. I think a lot of times with the running backs to just be feeling it. And it seems like whenever somebody's feeling it, we don't see him again, like two weeks ago, baby, good day, bad a sorry, bust off that sixteen yard run and then we don't see him again. So you got to keep feeding the hot hands. I know it's not that simple, but that's a great place to start.
Speaker 3: Well, here's another great place to start, and talking about feeding the hot hand, let's talk about Dance Joseph in that Denver Broncos defense, because I'm gonna tell you, I don't think vance and that defense gets enough credit because everyone's talking about Bowl. Nick. So I'm gonna give you an opportunity, Romie, come on, spread some love and let's talk about that Broncos defense.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm so glad you brought it up. Nick. It's true. It's an offensive league, it's a quarterback league, and obviously when you got a rookie quarterback. That's what everybody's gonna focus on. But that defense give it up seven points and having seven sacks, it's the same number, like, are we serious right now? Has been playing so well and so cohesively as a unit, because if you look at le Broncos offense realistically, you got one all pro in there right in Pat Sartan, But everybody else is playing. They're playing so well together and so much credit to Vance Joseph. They're all elevating each other and really playing so well as a whole unit as one unit, and the guys up front and the guys in the secondary, everybody's playing just they're playing really really good team defense. And you're seeing Riley Mossitt think he's going to grow into great player. Zach Allen's having a fantastic season. But when you look at this defense right just on paper, the only name that stands out, so to speak, is Pat Sartan, And look what these guys are doing. I get so much credit to Devanced Joseph and it's system being so player friendly and these guys really having so much pride. This is one of those things where they can get tiring when for how manteen years now the defense has known, gosh, you've got a whole team to you know how many points just to give the offensive chance. Well, finally the offense showed showed some lines. But even to the first two games, they just walked into this third game with the pride of we're going to do our jobs. We're going to do it so well, and we're going to keep this team in it. And to see them not get frustrated and really elevate everyone around them, I think has been so impressive and so much credit events Joseph. I mean this time of year ago, everybody's calling for him to get fired, and look at him now, right, it's just awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, and there have been a lot of great stories. I mean, Andrea Tillman has his first game, comes out, gets two sacks with the Denver Broncos. Riley Moss, I mean, you got everybody in their mother going, wait, that's a white guy. I haven't seen that so much since they heard that Rick Astley wasn't an African American. Look, I'm looking at this defense, and you know, we were worried about some of the turnover, but as you start to look at it, I mean, this is really a really good defense just across the board, and the additions that they made only supplemented that. Going out your John Franklin Myers, you know, I went the biggest Cody Barton fan, but he fills in the Josie Jewel role. You know, you look at this thing and Brandon Jones, who had huge shoes to fill with Justin Simmon's moving on to the Atlanta Falcons. What a great interception against Pat Mahomes last night, but huge shoes to fill and what does he do?
Speaker 2: He comes in and he fills them.
Speaker 1: You know, he's come in, he's been productive. Shout out to Brandon Jones, and shout out again to his next point out that damans Joseph for putting this thing together. The Broncos have a top five defense in the NFL, and it's going unnoticed right now because everybody's staring at the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they mean, they've just amen touche to everything you said. And a guy like Brandon Jones is an interesting one too, that there are off season acquisitions where nobody really talks about them. Not the local media was standing right, but like nationally, nobody's really talking about bringing in Malcolm Roach and John Franklin Myers and Brandon Jones. But all of these additions have been huge additions. And I know we talk about the Broncos as a young team, and they are a young team, and you look at this defense and there are a young team, but they've got the veteran leadership is so strong as well. There's not as many of them, but you know, you could pat in the backfield. Even PJ. Locke is young, but he really has a great sent to me's a great, great leadership. Brandon Jones, he's a little bit older. You know, you got Alex Singleton and then you got these older guys. I know, Malcolm Roach and Franklin Myers are newer to the team, but they just kind of there's more veteran savvy, I think than people see that. Everyone's just saying, oh they're young and hungry. Oh they're young and hungry, and yeah, there's a lot of young guys, but there's a lot more veteran leadership than people are talking about.
Speaker 3: Well, Romie, I'm gonna back up for a second because before you, Joan has been and I were having a conversation and I want to get your input on it because you were at Folsom Field for Saturday's first Big twelve win over Baylor, and I said I had no problem with the students rushing the field, but Ben, being Debbie Downer, he has an issue with it. Do you take issue with the fans celebrating with their team and a great team win by running on the field.
Speaker 2: Inflicted? And here's the reason why I'm conflicted because in the last two years to you, fans have rushed the field too many times. And this is coming from a CEUO alumni. And here's the thing. I get it. When I went to see you, they were not good. I rushed the field once in my entire outside of your career, actually at CU because there was one game worth rushing the field for, you know, and then then coming off of the year before last, they were one and eleven. So yeah, your kids are gonna run the game because you're excited, especially if you're a senior. And I totally get it, and it's awesome, but I think also at certain points it's like you don't need to rush the field every single time. And I think SEU students in general are just not used to winning, so they get over excited and then they want to rush the field every single time. But I don't think you should rush the field every single time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: For me, it's rushing the field for beating Baylor. It's a five hundred team, it's a Vanderbild of Big twelve.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here? You know, say, I'm back from behind wind, there's a lot of those.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm glad for coming behind and winning.
Speaker 2: I'm all for it was an awesome win though, right, Yeah, absolutely, it.
Speaker 1: Was a magnificent win. I was sitting there pumping my fist, you know, like, yeah, it was its great. But at the same time, I'm not rushing the field for that. I you know, it's very rushing. The field is reserved for championships, making a championship, or busting a long streak that you haven't that you haven't busted before. That kind of stuff. That's just me, man.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe it's this wet blanket that I carry around with me that that Nick is nodding his head about. But I don't know, that's just my Yeah, life sort of take on it. Yeah, and should should we just give Travis Hunter the Heisman? Now?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, this guy watching this young man in person, is I can think of no other word than it has been a gift. Like I am like soaking up every single game because it's unbelievable to see him in person and to see what he does. And the truth is, when you talk about the Heisman, it's the best player in college football. Nobody is doing what Travis Hunter is doing. Nobody else can do what Travis Hunter is doing. I don't see anybody else with one hundred and third receiving yards, some ridiculous catches and then the game saving forced tumble, like simply nobody's doing what he's doing. He is truly one of one. I can't wait to see what this turned into when he goes to the NFL. That is a whole other conversation. But I think he's the best player in college football. He deserves the Heisman, and he absolutely should be in the conversation all year if he continues doing this, because because nobody's doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: On he's a freak, he's a mute, He's the best player in college football.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Mark Johnson said, up, well quickly before we let you get out of here, I would be remiss about and bring this up. Charlie Blackman spend fourteen season here with the Colorado Rockies, saying that he is going to call it quicks after the game against the Dodgers. What do you find memories of one Charlie Blackman.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's crazy. It feels like an end of an era right from his entire fourteen years in the Major League with the Rockies. You wish he could have gone to more playoff games, but Charlie was always He gave you so many memories on the field. It always felt like if these improbable moments that Chuck would have a crazy homer. I think he's like top six in Rockies franchise history in like ten categories. Right, He's just been a staple for so long, and you gotta give up for the walk up song, Like the course shield simple is not going to be the same without that walk up song going forward. It's very sad, but also like as a media member, Charlie was always great in the locker room in the clubhouse, like very sarcastic, very made it very clear, I don't am not really interested in talking to you guys, that I'll talk to you guys anyway. And he was always very real about it and just a great person to be around. He was great for the young guys. You'd always see, we'd always you know, go to Spring training just for you know, just a couple of days every year. But the impact he's always had on the young players, I thought was always fascinating to watch how he was just coaching them up from the beginning from always. But really it's just like his personality and his impact on the organization. It's you're gonna miss him, he's an Alzheimer. Well, Romie, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna miss you until the next time we get a chance to talk to you. Roby Bean from CBS. We always appreciate you joining us.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what, guys, what a joy to talk to you after a couple of wins. Yeah, let's go. Love it.
Speaker 1: Changing my name to all Bright with two ws in there because we're not taking anywhere else.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Here we go, romy Bean. We appreciate you as always.