Speaker 1: Hey everybody, It's Tuesday. Welcome to the Giant Pomcast, Episode eight hundred and eighty four, April first, twenty twenty five. Don't worry, no joking ever happens on this podcast. There are no fools here, no fools welcome at all. I'm your host, Jan Ochoa. Joining me co.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry, I was gonna say, should I just leave?
Speaker 1: Joining me co Captain of the ship. He's never fooled you. He's never come up with anything that someone has taken out of context and spun out on the internet. Everything has been completely fine. Jeff crab I.
Speaker 2: Ever once met a fool, especially not looking in the mirror.
Speaker 1: There we go speaking about the man in the mirror. He's staring at him intently, combing and drying his hair. We've got the best hair in the business. That's right. I'll relinquish the title. I'll do it. I don't care. It's true. Sorry, Mike, Yeah, it took.
Speaker 3: Me way too long to figure out you weren't talking about Mike.
Speaker 1: What Dermo Sewan Sean McDowell.
Speaker 3: I also definitely thought that Rob was doing a Nixon impression there like halfway through that. I yeah, there it is always has it ready to go?
Speaker 1: Yep, we've mentioned Richard Nixon. No, I'm thinking of Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 2: Differently, we mentioned Richard Dixon a lot during Overblood because in Overblood, every time the character gets near any object, he just starts doing the I'm not a crook. It's a good look, you know what.
Speaker 1: I take that back. He's got the best body here in the business. He's a podcast were wolf, and also he's a bad boy of games media.
Speaker 4: Mike Minati, you only like me for my body and that's okay. Woo, I think I broke in in.
Speaker 2: Uh you accurately?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, you didn't. You didn't have to like air like the contents of my d MS to you dog, okay? Uh April Wolves. Has anyone fallen for any jokes, any goose or gaps on the internet?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 3: No, I'll go on the internet anymore.
Speaker 1: I mean, I got an email that my rent was due today and I just assumed it was a joke, So I'm just not going to do it.
Speaker 4: There you go again.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, how's everyone doing? How's everyone going?
Speaker 4: And tires been a little non stop lately. I think after tomorrow, like maybe hopefully Thursday, can calm down a bit and breathe a little bit. But uh, you know, like we're all excited for tomorrow, big switch to Direct. It's finally happening. Let's get those deats, Let's find out when we can desperately try to pre order. Let's hopefully see a Mario or see a Mario Kart, Let's see some other Nintendo good ease. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I I have a question for all of y'all, and probably an easy answer. Why do they do this so dang early on my time? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Everyone in the world, could theorectally be awake for it? Right, It's probably an okay time for Japan. Right, it's late in Japan, early for the West Coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no good there's no good time to do it for everybody. And this is kind of one of the times they said on for like the best chance, you know what they're I get switched to West Coast. Really cares, just wake up.
Speaker 4: I think they hate Janachoa.
Speaker 1: I you know, I believe it. I believe it.
Speaker 2: I Doug Doug Bowser, when we took a picture with him, he did kind of try to get as far away from you as possible.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I felt that tension. I want to say it was like a sexual tension.
Speaker 2: It was just like a tension tenth it was just regular tension.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did walk by where they're planning or they're opening the Nintendo store in San Francisco and there was a picture by the window of my face saying do not let this man it.
Speaker 2: You're like, I wonder if that's for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, oh gosh, dang again. Another place here?
Speaker 2: Is that where they're doing the like they're having those Nintendo fan events to switch to like hands on events that they announced and inviting people to a while ago. Is that where they're doing that one in SF? Or is there not one in SF?
Speaker 1: I don't believe there's one in San Francisco because Nicky and I tried getting into applying for the one in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in Los Angeles, I bet like that New York one isn't at this Is it? Is it at the store because that'd be surprising because it's not a big place, and I'll know it's already a store.
Speaker 2: I think that someone showed like it was like another event hall.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of events spaces in New York. You can just run out.
Speaker 2: Yep, totally and that there are there were pictures of that getting set up, so yeah, that's out there, and that was not the Nintendo store, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh Mike Michael O'Leary. It's in La New York and Dallas. Fun yep alas alas uh gang, I I got something not gaming related. It's a personal achievement of mine. I want to share with you all, my dear friends.
Speaker 4: It's food.
Speaker 1: I consider myself an okay baker. Uh, but out of all the things I've been able, I've never been able to make a good chocolate chip cookie. For whatever reason, it's eluded me or whatever.
Speaker 2: Secret's just a little bit of sea solid at the end. That's all you got to do that this time.
Speaker 1: But uh, look at this bad boy.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's delicious. I want a cookie.
Speaker 4: It's a boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like look at this ship.
Speaker 2: Looks like the round hills of the Appalachians.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Cookie, that's like a scone or something that's big.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is my this is my now I have I told y'all before the podcast that I was going to keep it to one grievance. I'm actually going to have a second grievance.
Speaker 2: No can You could have one grievance per like topic one.
Speaker 4: Yesh.
Speaker 1: My new grievance is I followed a recipe from Levane Bakery. Lavene Bakery is a popular bakery in New York. My partner loves their cookies, so I thought like, oh, let me give it a shot. I look at the recipe and I'm like, these motherfuckers are making a scone. Sean, You're one hundred percent right. It's not a cookie, a scone. There's too much butter in this ship.
Speaker 2: So what would you say? The thing you ate was on Livin. It's a baking joke.
Speaker 1: Man, you and Manati. Sean's gonna like throw a ferm ball at me today.
Speaker 3: This is why they do a podcast together.
Speaker 1: Jam.
Speaker 3: They popped themselves. No mare of the audience, like.
Speaker 4: Jeff fact that gift I sent you yesterday returning.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'll get right on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, hit me, hit me with a dad joke button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hang on, give me a second. The kids stole it's right over here. I'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Kids, they can't get enough of them. Okay, those eight those cookies. The cookie made reminds me of the Gideon's Cookie and Disney World. Okay, I said it, Okay, all right, all right, let's worry here. Do you ever watch Brian Laggerstrom.
Speaker 1: No, who is that?
Speaker 4: That's a food YouTuber who does baking. He did a giant chocolate chip cookie breakdown.
Speaker 1: I missed when y'all were talking about food YouTubers. I don't want to start beef.
Speaker 2: I lost the dad button.
Speaker 4: It's okay, we're talking about food YouTubers now.
Speaker 1: I really detest Joshua Weisman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: Look, the vibes are not are not there? I don't. I don't know them personally, but I don't know. I was upset ever since he was made a whole video where he was like, I'm gonna make better chedderbait biscuits and Red Lobster just talked about how much he hates the chedderbait biscuits anyways, well then to stop making them.
Speaker 1: He's there's just something off about him, and like, I don't try. It's not it's not quite like a dude bro thing. It's not quite like a brain rot thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It's just like, h if you want a better version of him, watch that dude can cook. He is great. He also just is trying to start a gaming channel too. He should get him on sometime.
Speaker 1: There we go there.
Speaker 4: His gimmick is that whenever his food is good, he does a different vignette in his backyard where he beats up a very old fridge and they get more and more elaborates the way he attacks this fridge, so shouts out that that dude can cook.
Speaker 2: The hell you guys? Watching food YouTube.
Speaker 1: Is so good?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's like most of what I watch anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've I've gone the other way, Mike. I've just started watching Food Network.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 4: That's how he started. Then I lost the cable, and now I'm on this train.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike and I are just like two trains in the night chef passing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this Food Network not just a bunch of reruns of Guys Grocery Games and Diners and Dives and Chopped.
Speaker 1: Is there other stuff, Mikey, Mikey, I gotta put you on the WrestleMania of cooking competitions, which is tournament of Champions.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, she's a tournament of champions.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, he's been shown, he's been grub Anyway Tournament of Champions. They take a bunch of like a high profile I guess celebrity not celebrity chefs, but uh popular chefs that have been on other cooking competitions, So Top Chef Champions, Chopped Champions, Guys Grocery Games Champions, Iron Chef branding or no, no Iron Chef branding, but some ex Iron Chef but like Stephanie Izard okay, And they will put them in like a top sixteen bracket for for them to go against each other. It's real good stuff. Also, there's a a the neat thing about it is that there's a randomizer that picks a protein, a style, another thing, another ingredient, and then like a time limit, so each round is different. I think you could get in on season one and then and then kind of get the gist of it. There's heels everybody. They're always like underdogs and everything. It's great.
Speaker 4: They're always are.
Speaker 2: The reason Mike thinks it's all reruns is because the only time we watch Food Network is when we're in a hotel room that we share together, and we get back to the hotel room at one am and then we put it on for like two hours. That's the only time he's watched it in the last couple of years, and which is all just grocery games or whatever. It's got closure games.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, this hasn't changed it all since I watched it when I was a different person.
Speaker 1: Did you all know there's a new host of Man Versus Food. It's not that it's not Adam Richmond anymore.
Speaker 2: I thought that's ever.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this makes any came back. I think they brought it back. Also, I think they've had a new host for like eight years now, so he's not.
Speaker 4: They still just make that man. I thought that because he had the first couple of seasons and then he was killing himself, so they tried to change it where he was like more coaching people to do the food challenges, and it wasn't wasn't exactly the same.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I wanted to see the man die.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Yes, he left the show fifteen years ago, so it's quite a while ago. Uh. This makes me think, y'all, we could approach someone Food Network and be like, hey, we got we got a couple of lovely dudes here with interesting food preferences. Wouldn't you like to see them tour the world and try new things together.
Speaker 4: I don't want to try new things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the problem the show, Jan They just won't do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Mike, like what you know, like we could go to different Disney Disney's what about that?
Speaker 2: You're lying the least new thing new thing you could have said? But I tried to get him on board there you're.
Speaker 4: Trying to say that, and I know I'm gonna end up in some unair conditioned hotel in some hot place and they're gonna serve me something that scares me.
Speaker 2: I'll try new things, but no.
Speaker 4: One wants to watch.
Speaker 3: Someone of the chat described Dan as being boring with food now aka normal, which is just hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's why it's so weird when he is, though, upset about something like the idea of mayn's being an ingredient in something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, remember when we were asked yeah, and he was like, I'm not consuming any was it oil?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 4: And We're like, Dan, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: How bizarre?
Speaker 2: Just like.
Speaker 1: Turbot Shawn Sean McDowell has been playing the game that is not pronounced bizarre.
Speaker 3: We think bazard I think it's Bazzard, pretty sure it's Bazars. Oh God, don't don't compare this to that. This is a good thing shop.
Speaker 2: Is it like a bizarre like?
Speaker 1: Is it like that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it because at some point a character goes saloon Gay Bowser?
Speaker 3: That was good, editing this one.
Speaker 4: Mario sixty four, Joe, that's great.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, Mario sixty four. So this is a rom hack that I played on GB Kids yesterday, So make sure to check out the vod if you didn't. Jan hung out with me for that one. Uh, this is a rom hack that came out of a was it called Simple Flips Chaos Mario team competition at the page from me, that's the only reason I know that. But yeah, this was a competition where that Simple Flips put together, where I found out apparently so it was a small amount of people in total, and he actually commissioned them. So basically he like you know, compensated them for their time because rom hacking is hard, and we got a whole bunch of really cool Mario sixty four hacks of it. And this is one that I've been seeing some people play and it was really interesting to me. Also credit to once again anonymous moose furious fight in SPKA. They were a team who put this one together. Uh, this was this is Mario sixty four. But it's a roguelike deck builder, And if you want to get a little more buzzworthy with it, it's it's bilatro Mario sixty four. It's crazy. You spawn in, you are presented with a level. It's a painting in front of you, Mario sixty four. You know how it goes. You jump in the painting, you go to a level. The thing is b, A, Z, and R the you know, like jump, crouch, slide all those buns on the controller. Instead of just having access to jump and punch and everything like that, Instead, a deck deals a card out to each of those buns, and what the card has is what that bun will do for a limited number of uses. So like the if your A bun gets punched, well your A bun is punched like four times, it be is backflip. You get backflip twice, and then when you burn the card, you go to the next one and narther one gets delta out of a deck.
Speaker 2: Okay, so once the car burns, you automatically get a new card.
Speaker 3: Yes, you get Delta new one and the idea is to get a star before you run out of card actions, so you have a limit. It's really cool because then you have to think about things differently. You have to think about the fact that you have a limited number. I've jumps of flips, of combat moves like punches and the breakdance I was using to actually take enemies out and.
Speaker 1: Stuff infensive breakdancing. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes you think think about every action that you're going to take and turns Mario sixty four into like a puzzle platform. And yeah, I was playing down stream for like two hours yesterday. I was having a blast because it's just it's We talked about this when Dan was playing that one shooter a game I forget which one was that little like retro one that what Donkey's team picked up recently.
Speaker 2: And yes, I'll get it. Hang on. Yeah, Legend of Stardom or something like that. I got right here in my library.
Speaker 3: But while we were playing that, we were talking of providence. There you go. We were talking about roguelikes in general and how they usually don't click with me, but for me, when you take a concept that is very Arcadie or something you really really know, and then add a rogue like element to it. It just makes a more interesting way to experience something you already know. That's what this rom hack is. It's a very polished rom hack. You enter into like Luigi's little casino and there's all these little like nice little things. So Luigi's like the dealer, so you also like you know, the blotro shot. Between rounds, you go up to Luigi, you can buy new cards. You go over to Vivian, she'll like enhance the cards that you already have already. Can go up to the homie Monty Mole and Ponty mo five card, Banti fifteen coins, He'll shuffle up the cards. You get a random one. It's really funny, just there's so much charm and like between rounds, between stars basically you can go up to the various characters in the casino talk to them. There's little dialogues and everything. And I think where the game gets really interesting is that there's some wild cards you can get. Because I just described like punch and jump back, but these are like pretty you know, it's Mario sixty four stuff. But how about Rocket, which is just Mario goes straight up soaring in the air like he has the rocket nozzle from Super Mario Sunshine. They implement a cloud Mario from Galaxy where you put a platform beneath you while you're in the midair.
Speaker 4: Ma that's my favorite power up.
Speaker 3: And there's some even more wild ones. There's Totsugeki from May from Guilty Gear where Mario hops on dolphining rockets across the stage. There's Release EO Physics that I got yesterday. What happens when you draw that? Physics are just whatever the hell the game decides they are. At that point, you're forgetting about Yeah, what's up? Dan? Which the Mario choir, the Mario choir. When you draw that one, the music is replaced with smooth mcgroo's style, Mario doing the music acapella. They had so much fun making this, you can tell. And it's just incredibly polished and a lot of fun. And I've been having a blast playing this. I was doing some runs before the show here today, like I'm hosked. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Would you say that you are you are you benefit playing this game because you are so into Mario sixty four? Do you think maybe okay, because it was wondering like if that holds you back. So my concern would be, like, it's second nature to me at this point playing Mario sixty four. It's basically riding a bike. I go in there, I play that game. I'm not even thinking about it. I'm just doing. So if things move around on me, I might feel like, oh, maybe someone who isn't as familiar might have a better chance with this. But you've been malleable with it and it's been good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I would say that obviously, Like if you're not playing Mario sixty four before, I wouldn't you know, I wouldn't jump right into this one. But if you've played Mario sixty four, you've played three D platforms, that's your thing, then this is a fun way to do something new with it. It's like with Pokemon, you're not going to start, oh, come on, by the first time you've ever played it doing like a nuzzlock or an iron monitor or something like that. But if you are familiar with the games even a little bit, then you get into this more advanced rule set because it's more of what you're looking for. That's what this is for me right now. It's just revitalizing a game that I really love and playing a very unique spin on it. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that you also have to practice restraint, because Shannie were saying this a lot in the stream yesterday that you generally are super gung ho about exploring a level real quick. Yeah. Here, because you can't even jump up to go through some stairs, you have to be more reserved with how you're approaching things. I also like how they It just gets you to think with this tool set a completely different way that I don't know I would like to see in a different platform er. Some folks in chatter saying like, I wonder if you could implement this in like a Mario maker to type of thing.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, Yeah, I was thinking like a Glover. Yeah, this feels like the kind of thing that obviously there's references to our properties and stuff that they wouldn't do. Like I mentioned Guilty Gear and Exodia's in here. If you get all five piece of Exodia, it gives you a random star that's that's really funny. But outside of that, it actually feels like the kind of thing nintent like weird Nintendo would do themselves. It feels like a nes remix style of thing, and it did. The quality is there that it feels like, yeah, like a complete product that they put together. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: Do you think that they could if they wanted to, let's say, put this on Steam, remove all the Mario stuff and replace it with generic stuff or new stuff, or like let's say they teamed up with a bunch of indie games and replace it would like shovel Night characters and things like that. Do you think this game could stand on its own?
Speaker 3: I genuinely think it would. I think this is the kind of thing that like could pop off if they wanted to remix it in a way that was their own and not just a rom haack. But at the same time, rom haacking is very much its own art form because you have a base to build on. The second you get into making your own game and having to build an engine, build original assets and everything, that takes so much damn time, takes so much effort. Again, especially like if you're getting like a little bit cash to put together a rom haack, that's like a sustainable thing you can do in your free time. But investing in making an indie game. That's why you don't see as much of that as people just you know, playing together a romhack with something that they are right.
Speaker 1: No, so yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Would be cool to get that isle to see this for star Fucks and it's like, man, yeah, the nick star Fux should be a roguelike, absolutely should be basically already is Yeah, they already did, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking about Nintendo sixty four games, Mike Manatti, you have continued down the n sixty four memory train by checking out Barbran Hero. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My nintenn sixty four apology tour basically.
Speaker 2: Listen, we're appreciative.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So yeah, I finished Misshift Makers and I talked about that. Barmann Heroes another game that I played as a kid in Lights never got super far, and I think it was kind of a rental for us. I think most people remember Bomberman sixty four for the system, which was a more traditional Bomberman game. It had this great adventure mode that was like, you know, very puzzle based. Barman Hero is more of a traditional just single player action adventure game where you have to be Bomberman and you're throwing bombs, but it's actually just super fun and charming, and you know, it's it's kind of a simple game. It's in more that you know that Super Mario three D world style where you have these sort of short bursts of levels and they're they're relatively linear. There's some that open up more just something about being barman running around throwing bombs. There's actually very good boss fights of that. Music is great. The main song especially is.
Speaker 1: A big bop.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I had a lot of fun going through this one. Actually just ended up playing through the whole thing in like one five hour stream. It was, you know, fun enough to do that. Some challenging busses at the end, and it has the bomber Man upgrades still where you know, you know, you get those fire things and your bombs. Yeah, drop more bombs, bigger explosions. It can't be a little annoying because theen you game over, you lose those so you can like go back to a boss fight, but you don't have any upgrades. So it's like, okay, we'll go to an old level and get some upgrades again, then go back to the boss fight to make it easier. So that aspect was maybe a little frustrating, but not a huge deal. Generally, I thought this was a really fun playthrough. You know, this isn't like some big hidden gym for sixty four. I think people know about it, but you know, it's not a first round pick, right. People don't name this one if they start naming twenty and sixty four games or something. But I think more people should look at it if you have an affinity for that system.
Speaker 1: I want. I want Bomberman to have like a renaissance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bar Man had a go ahead, Jeff I was gonna say' super Bow are launched with the switch they did, super Bomberman are two within the last couple of years. But I think what we're talking about here when we say that, Jenks, I feel the same way is get a little bit more experimental with like what you were doing with like have one three D game every ten years or something like that. Again, you know, I know that at this point, it's like we kind of whiplashed back from oh those three D games were three D games were interesting, but let's just get back to what Bomberman really is. And it's like, well we've had that for a long time now, maybe let's flip back and try some other stuff again. I would really welcome that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Barberman was kind of had a kind of just popping off there in this sixty four era because he had Saturn Bomberman before that. It's like maybe the most beloved of those ten players style on. Yeah. Oh and then yes, the sixty four had the two sixty four games. The sequel is pretty rare now, but in Hero so yeah, they're just doing a lot of interesting things with Bomberman at the time. And then nine to eleven happened. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I so it's a surprise. Oklahoma City didn't take this guy down. It took you a nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: To make it.
Speaker 4: It was it was srough to have bomber Man, isn't it. It's rough.
Speaker 2: I was not expecting that. That one got me.
Speaker 1: Oh. I thought of a joke, but I can't. I can't bring myself to say it.
Speaker 2: Text it to Mic and have him say it.
Speaker 1: Uh, Konami, get on, get get your check books out.
Speaker 4: We need go ahead, chance, sorry, we need a two.
Speaker 1: D bomber Man game that is an action platformer, perhaps of this flatformer subgenre. They already tried to take your lunch explosion man. That's pretty much just bomber Man that's.
Speaker 2: Actually not bad and that would be fun. Give him like a d K sixty four or DKnet ninety four move set. But I'm very different there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, Ki cut the check.
Speaker 4: I just haven't accept did Konami as the owners of Bomberman yet? I don't know what I mean. They do right, and they did the bomber Man our games, but I always forget about Hudson Soft really not being Yeah, is that they're just gone Hudson Hudson twenty twelve. Hudson was merging the Konami Digital entertain I.
Speaker 2: Was looking at this because and no one tell them he won't listen to this. I was like, this is that we wouldn't be a black club or anything. But I found a This is the Beast played this in sixty four dating sim made by the Mario Party team at Hudson with mini games, and I'm like, I think I want to there's an English translation now that just got done in the last couple of years. So I was like, man, Hudson made all those Mario Party games. When did they stop making him. It's like a long time ago they stopped making him. So it's like, what happened to Hudson.
Speaker 1: What's the name of this game, Jeff, I'll look it up.
Speaker 4: Just give me a second, Okay, sure, uh yeahs I was a big bonk guy too. In fact, I think Bomberman Hero at one point was like originally supposed to be a bonk game, and that's why it's kind of initial DNA feels so different from the other bombing games, even though it still has a ton of Bomberman flavor in there.
Speaker 1: Well, the nostalgia tour doesn't end there with Bomberman Hero, Jeff Grub, You've continued your adventures with Grim Fandango.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I actually finished Grim Fandango over the weekend. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It definitely got to the point where it's like, okay, I am at least on this game's wavelength a little bit. I still needed help very frequently, like that's what those adventure games are. But you know, you begin to learn like everything needs to you need to try everything on everything. So at a certain point I was doing that to the point where I was stumbling across a couple of solutions just you know, by happenstance through pure luck. But that luck was you know man made because it's like, oh, you know, I'm just gonna try this on everything. I just got a gun before I go up there. Let me try it on this thing before I get up to go up the hill, that sort of thing. But really, I mean, I came to this game with the expectation that I would like the characters, the style, the music, and all that stuff. Hits so hard so many, like all Timer characters, Glottis is one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Every time I had any interaction with Glottis, who was like the big side kic character, I was just in love. And that doesn't that it really lives up to those expectations as well, like up through the end of the game, like when you first meet Gladish, I hope he's great, and he always is. And then it does a really good job of mimicking its source material that it's pulling from, where it's like, Okay, there are the twist and turns that you would expect from this sort of entangled war time love story that they're going for, and I felt like, Okay, they did that in a way that was like I wanted that, It's what I expected, and yet I was still surprised here or there, and it's like they just are really good writers over there at at what was Lucas Arts.
Speaker 4: Then and Shaeffer Double Find now. Yeah, yeah, it's this is still one of my favorite games ever. It was so much fun watching Jeff play through it. I'm so glad that he finished it. But yeah, it's like, you know, the puzzles in these games, like, yeah, they're puzzles and something you kind of figure but it's much less like playing you know, like an Obra Din or something like that, where it's like you sit down, you write me really largeically think about it. The puzzles often are actually like just like, hey, you got to figure stuff out, and now this is the mechanically came up with to force you to interact with as much of the world as possible so you can see all the fun characters and dialogue we create for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that was like the other thing where it's like, okay, yeah, I get another chance here to click on every line of dialogue or ask every question. And every time I got to one of those moments, I was like, oh, fantastic, We're back here where the game is truly shining. Manny's saying something sort of sardonic or dry or sarcastic, and the other character's not really catching on, and that's that's what he's saying. It's and then them having their own sort of personalities. It's really fantastic. I'm I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I glad.
Speaker 2: This is like my first real Lucas Arts adventure game that I spent a ton of time with. It really is a good entry way to that whole genre.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has a ton of personality. I think Manny's just a great main character. I never want them to stop talking and cracking jokes and stuff when I play this, and I think I do think like we saw a touchdown though it is maybe one of the more The puzzles are a bit bit out there for Lucas game, like really making you click on everything and sort of just wander around for a while. I think that can get a little annoying if you don't want to get outside help. But if you do, you know, like you were screaming, I'm sure like if you got stuck, stuck, he asked the chat or something.
Speaker 2: I was just asking chat. Yep, no shame about it.
Speaker 3: Understand up a guy, you know, it's twenty twenty five, just pull up like a well ring guide or something.
Speaker 4: We're all doing that even in ninety eight. Man, right, oh yeah absolutely game facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I talk to talk to your doctor about game facts everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yeah.
Speaker 2: I just think that it was really pleasant. It does make me want to like continue down this uh line a little bit. I was mentioned in to chat and telling Mike, I'm like, I might try to dig or a handful of Lucas, like what's the what's the motorcycle one.
Speaker 4: Throttle and the Digger because it's been so long since I played THO one that like I wouldn't be able to help you. It would all be new to me. In a big side, I would.
Speaker 2: Just play those games with the guide open. At this point, it was like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Totally sure we could play them together and figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could.
Speaker 1: You want to look at a couple a couple of puzzle pals, Yeah, but there are also some other ones that I could like still guide you through data.
Speaker 4: Tentacle is so fantastic and so much and you know, the first three Monkey Allen games are must play, as I believe for this series, and they still hold up and they did those anniversary editions of one and two, so they're easy to play, and the gog version of Chris Monkey Allen works fine.
Speaker 1: So how are the Salmon Max games?
Speaker 4: Uh, well, the first Simon Max, I think is an al timer. I love Tim and Max Hit the Road. It's maybe the funniest one they ever did. I played through that again not too long ago. I never loved the Teltoe ones like some people did. They're they're good. I think part of my problem is is that I loved that original one so much, and you know, well the voices are a little different it. You know, it has kind of I don't call it an ugly game, but it has that three D like that sort of not cheap three D look, but kind of we're a little bit on a budget here three D look, as opposed to just very pretty pixel art like the original one.
Speaker 2: The name of that game Sean A Getter Love Choren I Party, Yeah, we're in.
Speaker 3: Chef Found and I was gonna crack up. It was actually Tokyo Mechi Memorial, like one of the most well known, revered visual novels of all time, and you're just like, yeah, it's some dangs and that they made.
Speaker 2: Well I would have felt the same way about that. Totally heard that word before Toki Memorial, but I have no idea.
Speaker 1: That's why I favored Final Stop on the Nostalgia Tour. Sean, you have been continuing to play Crazy Taxi three and it keeps surprising me that they made a third one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Jan, I get that from you. You're not CT three guy. But when I brought this up in the chat the yard day, everyone basically had the same reaction of everyone was split between wait, they made crazy Tech, Hey, Mike has it?
Speaker 1: There, I have it.
Speaker 4: They did make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Basically everyone went, wait, they made a Crazy Taxi three. But then the other half of the audience was they made a Crazy Taxi two, which I did because yeah, that was I think Crazy Texti two is an arcade. I've never seen a machine, but I think it was an arcade. And then it was on the Dreamcast Crazy Taxi three wash Xbox exclusive, Like Mike just held up there, and then there was an arcade machine as well.
Speaker 2: You made the Dreamcast two.
Speaker 3: That's that's what it's getting that actually is like the Dreamcast lineage was basically split between a lot of people say, you know the Xbox is the Dreamcast two as well as like the GameCube galaat as well. You know, you got reports of Sock Adventure, you got Fancy Star Online, like they basically split their attention between those two consoles, and then PS two was in whatever they put most of the multi platform stuff there as well. But yeah, Crazy Taxi, like I keep mentioning, is just a fun trip down memory lane. I keep getting better and better runs. The other day in Crazy Taxi one, I finally got one over ten thousand dollars again, so that meant that I got the awesome rating, which felt good to get back to Crazy Taxi three. Though is I've never really played this before before, this little trip down memory lane here with Crazy Taxi, and that's because it was so inaccessible. It's not backwards campable on Xbox because you know, licensed music and all that, of course, but once again fans coming through. So at the theme of the games I've been playing lately. There's a tool called CT three Tweaks that allows you to just like make some changes some things about the back end of the PC version of the game, which you can find online. It's abandonware. It's never been released anywhere and it makes it so you can run out my machines, you can run at high resolutions, high frame rates, and odd stuff controller support, and what the game itself is is it's sort of a compilation. That's what Crazy Taxi two kind of was as well. But three is the map from one from two and then a new map for three, so it's only three maps, but it's start K game. Let's kind of expect of it. What's interesting is the mechanics how they work, and the fact that in addition to everything you know about Crazy Taxi, such as the Crazy Boost and the Crazy Drift, which are better than before, they really refined it so it feels really good. There's also Crazy Boost in reverse so you can go backwards on a dime, and the Crazy top I think it's called where you can do a tiny low jump, but it allows you to get over like short buildings, allows you to get extra air, you know, like in the original Crazy Taxi stage San Francisco where we're going down the hills, you get some extra air and get a bunch of money that way, as well as implementing stuff like pick you up multiple people at the same time from Crazy Taxi too, and so It just feels incredible to play with all those little additions, and it allows you to have longer runs. It feels more like a console first game. When you play Crazy tax it feels like the game, even though it's on your GameCube or your PC or whatever nowadays, is trying to get those quarters from you, is trying to like push you out. But Crazy Taxi three feels like a game where you don't even have to be that good the game to realistically have like a twenty plus minute run going, just keep going, keep listening to the tunes, keep have a fun time. Drive around this absolutely batshit crazy game that I still think is the epitome of one arcade game should be basically, and I'm having a blast, like getting better at it. It's kind of like I was mentioning with Bazarus, sort of just getting better with those runs. And you know, that's that's what a roguelike originally stems from, is just the arcade theory of video games, of having lives and doing runs, trying to get the best score you can games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sean, I will admit I've never truly loved Crazy Taxi anything against it, friendship, but I never I never fell in love with it the way so many people and it's like, at this point, it comes up so frequently and with such reverence, and then people play it and it's not like it's misguided nostalgia. Everyone genuinely loves this game. I feel like I missed out. So do you think Crazy Taxi three would be one? Like if I were to throw it in my steam Deck and play it on there and try to like get it, would this be the right like re entry point to go back and try to fall in love with the series?
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially once you get some of the further tweaks beyond CT three tweaks like someone and chat mentioned how are the tunes? And by default they're not good in the PC version. But again, community, you can just add in the original soundtracks from the og Xbox version and everything. Okay, yeah I can. I can like send you some links. I think this is That's actually how I've been playing. I've been playing on steam Deck. I just do a couple of months before bed each night, and you know that takes like half an hour to an hour, and it's maybe more energy than your typical line down game. But I do think it's a great way to just like chill and watch them TV and stuff, and yeah, try to get that better run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was playing this version not too long my solf on when I had the Xbox plugged in and I kind of got a little bit of an og xbox kick. It's fantastic. I think it's the definitive crazy taxi game that we have, at least right now. We'll see what that new one is like, because yeah, you know it pass basically everything you want from the first one and that map that they added into right, but yeah, the new map here is Las Vegas themed, so that's really fun. That's of course a great place to say that you still have that those like those not those mini games with the challenge mode with you know, like get those crazy strikes and all that. Yeah crazy, I think they might have this might have been renamed too, Yeah, but boy, yeah Sega Saga. There a lot of heavy lifting on the OG Xbox. Uh you were talking about that, Shawn. But between this the outrun games, Jet Set Radio Future, even weird stuff like what otaggi and whatnot?
Speaker 3: Yes yet.
Speaker 1: As well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, THEEKA was just doing Tota Gamno Three. Of course, I can't forget that but they are just doing a lot of cool stuff on the od Xbox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very very cool lineage.
Speaker 1: There that they have going from making money on the streets to the high seas, high profits. Jeff Grubb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is a game that just came out of early access. When I was playing, it was either early access or just coming out of early access. It is a turn based sid Meier's Pirates with some rough edges in terms of like the presentation. I was playing it on Steam Decks, so maybe some of the stuff that didn't happen on there, but like the mouse cursor, right, it's an animated little mouse cursor special for the game. Well, there's also like the transparency layer doesn't work, so there's like a white box around it or whatever. I'll live. You basically go from city to city buying low and then go to you do you set your boat to go to another city to then sell high. And it is a fully I guess I won't say fully realized echin simulation, but there are ramifications to everything you do. So when you go to a city and you get a list of goods, you're like, okay, I'm just gonna take my boat up to whatever This one port, and I'm gonna click on the shop. Let's start trading. You see how much everything costs to buy one You see how much everything cost. If you were to buy five of everything, it's usually much cheaper. And then you can also see like important details like how much it costs, like what was the price it costs the manufacturer to produce this item in the first place, so you can compare it to like what you're paying to like what actually the raw materials cost. So it's like, okay, let this thing cost them eighty bucks. They're charging me like one hundred and forty. That's a huge markup. I probably shouldn't buy that, But it's eighty bucks and you can get it for ninety five. All right, Well that's much more reasonable. I probably can turn a profit on that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Of course, if it's eighty bucks to make and you can find it in one city for seventy bucks, well obviously you buy as much of that as you possibly can. Except every time you buy something, the price goes up because it's reacting to your to your behaviors, so you're you're feeding the economy. The demand is higher, So now you have to like consider that and it's like, hmm, this is exactly the kind of game that I want. I want to play around in economic models. That's what I always liked about sid meers Pirates. A lot of that your A lot of that stuff was happening in the background or unaffected by your behaviors, but it was like randomly being affected by something that was supposed to be modeling a wider, broader economy as opposed to just one ship coming into port and buying stuff and affecting the price. But at the end of the day, it's pretty similar stuff. Now I'm not sure what else is happening in this game, because when I'm kind of going through the tutorial and in sid meers Pirates you get in ship combat. In it, it's real time, and that was actually pretty decent, and you could upgrade your ship and get different kinds of things you were shooting out of the cannons. So it's like, Okay, I'm gonna shoot these grape appellates to tear up the enemies sales so they can't chase me or whatever. You can make decisions like that. You would go and meet governors and have conversations with them and try to marry their daughters and you try to marry the prettiest daughter you could find, and all that stuff. There was more going on at sid Meier's Pirates. I haven't interacted with all of or any of those kinds of elements so far, so I'm wondering if they've focused entirely on the you know, buying and selling, the arbitrage selling of it all as opposed to those other elements, which I wouldn't be against, but I definitely want to have that flavor there to make it feel like, Hey, I am a gentleman of the high seas and I just happen to have this business that I run in the background. That's really my primary concern. But you know, when I present myself to the governor, I have these other things going on, and I can kind of role play a little bit, but you know, kind of the game itself is what I've been looking for. I just hope that they have the juice to make it last and it doesn't feel like, oh I kind of understood, Like, I hope the economic model that they're using behind the engine is complicated enough that I can maybe like have fun pairying with it as opposed to being like, oh, I kind of get this. If I just sell here by there, I'm always gonna win. And I don't know if that's the case yet.
Speaker 1: Speaking about numbers, I've been immersed in any factory with numbers. I talked about this a couple of weeks ago on the podcast Nubbies Number Factory.
Speaker 2: Right, you're the one that mentioned this. I downloaded. I haven't played this. Remind me what this is.
Speaker 1: This is a fever dream of a flash game. But Pegel, right, there have been so many different Pegel likes to pop out after Pegel one, Pedal two, uh, Peglin I never quite got into. I think the RPG mechanics of it has got in the way, uh for for my own preferences. But Nubbi's Number Factory, the gist of it again is you have a general target to hit, uh, and that that is a number, and the pegs on the board equate as you hit them, they add up. You get to that target number. Now, if you keep hitting a peg that it disappears like say it's a it says the number two, and you hit it twice, it disappears, it reracks and then adds up, So it's kind of a it becomes a numbers game of not only do you want to hit the high target number, but you also want to clear all the lower pegs so they add up to so you get nothing but high numbered pegs. And then the game gets incredibly weird because it adds items to buy, and those items range from when Nubby dies, So when Nubby falls off the board. I'm sorry, Mike, I didn't mean to spoil it. No, when Nubby dies like an effect your item pops off, or when you first fire Nubby off onto the board or whatever. Don't worry, Mike, you get more nubbies if you clear the boards Nubbies for Mikeys. You get more Nubbies if you clear the board on your first go. And depending on how well you perform uh and you re rack and stuff and you clear the pegs out, you will get more lives. It is such an insane time, Oyster, and I think I'm really bad at the game though, because on top of that, you you get a loot, and those the loot affects not only your specific items, but also just like different conditions on the board. There are like boss encounters and and yeah, I quickly find myself falling into the same trap I did with Billottro from last year and and Nubbies number Factory. I yearn for the factory.
Speaker 4: Now you yearn for the Nubbies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw a friend like fill up her board and it was just nothing but like ten thousand for each individual peg. And here I am like a dope with like, oh hey cool, the highest peg I have is five hundred and twelve. I'm so good.
Speaker 4: Oh fuck, I mean I'm I just bought this game largely because I find the aesthetic of it looking like a I don't know, nineteen ninety eight website game. Yeah, so appeal, like so surprisingly nostalgic to be you.
Speaker 3: The developer's website it looks like a nineteen ninety eight website as well.
Speaker 1: Mob Dog Productions.
Speaker 2: I said it before, if I if we had unlimited budget in time, I would remake the Giant Bomb web website to look exactly like this.
Speaker 4: That's what I would do.
Speaker 1: But not, Oh my god, Yes, I want our video player to have like a shitty TV on yes in front of you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or just it actually does only work in real media player? Yeah, right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is cool to see games like this popping off a little bit though. I pulled up the Steam page. Yeah, came out about a month ago. It's one of those games that, yeah it's five bucks, overwhelmingly positive with like close to thirty six hundred reviews. I like to see more projects like this. I think that's sort of the kind of theme of what I was talking about today, of just seeing these smaller projects, these indie projects, these just real passion projects put out there and really taking off with people, because I think that's you know, we're in an age of a lack of sustainability in gaming right now, and I do think that this is the kind of thing that I want to see more of. I want to see the industry move and direction that is smaller. You don't have to get as small as Nubby's Number factory necessarily, but it is cool to see people appreciate something like this and say that, yeah, you know what, I can't just so what if it's a time wast you know, not that you were saying that disparagingly, but yeah, who if it's just like, yeah, I sit down, I play this for like an hour or two, like every night while I'm you know, watching the Food Network or whatever, and just big chilling and that's.
Speaker 1: What gaming needs for watching me at home dog, Hey man, you leave the.
Speaker 3: Camera on this here fault. I just think that it's really sick that people are appreciating these small releases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll talk about a small release during the news segment. Actually, but I'm in need of a coffee break, Mike Minati, can you like quickly guide me though to this Disney villain's cursed cafe and what I can order?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny because like Sean's talking about, like, you know, making smaller games. I think this is so neat that Disney sort of got this small developer balloon Digital Media that does just make you know, what looks like a bunch of visual novels right there, visual novel studio. It's like, yeah, make one of those. But for us, the whole thing here is that you run this magical cafe that is patronized by a bunch of yassified Disney villains right like there, it's like, you know, Gastan and Ursula and Maleficent, but they're wearing slightly modern clothes.
Speaker 1: Oh you king what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all so slutty in this game is crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a visual novel, right like the you know the gameplay, OMNS is picking different dialogue options, and you know, when they order a drink or potion rather and they are all different magical effects. It's sometimes they want something very specific. It's some of the gamified stuff there as well, maybe what they actually need is something else, or you can just give them the wrong thing and they get mad. So there's a bit of sort of branching narrative stuff happening there, but mostly it is just about this sort of fun dialogue. And the dialogue is actually pretty fun. It's surprisingly funny. Like Ja'far was like, oh, how do I how do I rule this world? And I was like, oh, you gotta be in the one percent was the one dialogue option I'm talking about. So I'm talking about capitalism Jafar in this game. And then like it just kept going to eventually I was explaining cryptocurrency to Jafar. Oh hell yeah, oh yeah. Jafar started his own coin. It's called wish coin. Yeah, well he's got witschcoin.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: He loved the idea not real money that people will pay him for anyways, So yeah, he gave me a stone and said it was a physical representation of my virtual wish coin wish with why by the way, he said, for copyright reasons, Uh, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the dialog is actually kind of funny and it's interesting. Yeah, you know, for a Disney head like me, it is just fun seeing these characters like this. But boy, I just think this is a really neat project. I know, you know, John Drake's a friend to say everything, but as a Disney fan, I really do approve of the way that they've been kind of approaching games recently, where they're doing a good mix of things, and that includes this kind of tiny project from this small studio that specializes in a niche genre. But hey, we're gonna let them play with the Disney license. I think that's great.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 3: Did you ever play like Coffee Talk or Nirvana or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Not, Okay, that's definitely I think what this game is going for. Coffee Talk was a game where you run a You run a coffee shop. You are the barista. Someone comes in asks for an order. You just it's very simple. You mix like a possible like eight different ingredients together in the way that they want them, and then you just get a visual novel style branching dialogue thing where you can't just get to know the people better and just a chill little thing and before same thing.
Speaker 4: That sounds like the vibe here for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, that makes me kind of interested. I will say, I think I'm at the point where I would I this is only on PC right now, right.
Speaker 1: It's actually on every twitch, It's everything.
Speaker 3: It was it was a Intel Direct but like outside of those, it's switching PC right now.
Speaker 4: It's like it's Xbox and PlayStation even, it's everywhere, okay where, but sorry, I was getting actually alive with this.
Speaker 3: It's not mobile, is it?
Speaker 4: I was think it's I don't think it's on mobile, And now I'm not sure why when you asked me that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, because I feel like this would be like great Apple Arcade kind of thing. Oh for sure, I would love to play that. Oh also, chats pointing out I meant Valhalla. Nirvana's the sequel that's coming out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right, all right, folks. Now that Mikey talked about brewing some potions, I'm gonna brew a quick cup of Joe and we'll be back about.
Speaker 2: The Psycho patrol Our next week. That's the new one from the guy that made that Crazy and that also looks a lot like Numbers Nubbi's number factory. Yeah, I'll check that out next week. I know people were asking about it.
Speaker 1: Oh. Also, I've been playing Wander Stop and I keep forgetting to talk about it. But we'll talk about that next week as well. See you right after this. This is Jeff crogg.
Speaker 2: Pudi. Yeah, the Psycho Patrol art. It's the one from the team that did Cruelty Squad. So yeah, that just came out like last week. It's in early access, but I am Yeah, I'm very curious to check it out anyway, got some news for you all. First up here click click bomb. Available now on Steam apparently what we go right now? See this click click bomb and see if it's Oh yeah, there it is available for free, but I still want to get codes. I have for some reason that I've come with you. We should still get codes, all right, edit it to my account. That is the idol game starring some people who you are looking at right now. You guys should go check it out if you have not yet. Chuck Task he made it with some help from the community and all that. Shoutouts to you all available on Steam. That's very cool that you were able to put it out on there.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 2: Right, Final Fantasy nine Anniversary, it's going to be twenty five years old this year. They've got plenty of merch for you. They've got some character redesigns, like, hey, we've upgrade, We've improved the textures on these character models. And then they said they will have various projects. Is Final Fantasy nine remake finally happening?
Speaker 4: Oh sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, I mean it wasn't that Nvidia leak forever ago?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris Prophecy, Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Many things have happened from that that we're there, including like keendom Heart's four said, I think that's the first time we saw that. A couple of things that we haven't seen is the fount Fantasy nine remake and Final Fantasy Tactics also, right, Yeah, but yeah, I mean, look, it's not outside of the Rome possibility that this is just a marketing campaign and this is just all about selling merch and things like that. But boy, this, you know, this site is kind of already a bit more lapid than I was expecting. There's a lot of stuff here they're talking about projects. This thing's been rumored anyways. Uh, and we you know, we have a pretty big event happening and just a day here. And boy, it's far from a guarantee, but that Nintendo switch to direct show would be a cool place to reveal the Final Fantasy nine remake.
Speaker 1: Whoa, And we're not talking like remake in terms of Final Fantasy. It's just like kind of like a like facelift.
Speaker 4: Well a bit more than that, right, Like I imagine something in that persona three reload areas what I think where relative rolative one to one. But you know, completely new assets. You know here there would be voice acting, right, new CG cut scenes, you know, maybe even a bit more than that in some sense, because this is a PS one game that we're remaking here, right, So but no, I think I bet it'll still be like that classic combat system, right. It's not going to be completely remagic, certainly isn't going to be turned into a trilogy and have all these sort of weird multi dimensional aspects or or whatever. I think it'll be more straightforward, but remake none the less.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I f F seven messed it up for the sake of marketing. Clever marketing I'll give them, but that's not a remake as a reimagining that as a new project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it's like, you know, remake with like a wink when you say remake.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, no the P three reload and then you know, way back in the day stuff like uh, well what the Resident Evil games do? Even like two is pushing it, but yeah, like R one remake, are four remake?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I think like, yeah, the R E one R four remake is even yeah, that's maybe a good idea of what kind of remake. I am expecting it, and you know, to be clear, so excited. I love Final Fantasy nine so much. I like the series a ton, and this is most likely my favorite of those single player games even oh yeah. It just has such a striking art style that that's shown through even on the PS one it was maybe the prettiest PS one game. Of course, there's incredible music, there always is, but gosh, there's some good songs in this one. Great characters. Vv vv is such a good voy vv is the bestest boy that was ever boyed bool And it's just like the story goes interesting places. It has a lot of hearts in it, but there are also like some things that could be improved. Maybe some of the late stuff with the plot could be smoothed out a bit. There are some party members who get a little bit lost in the shuffle towards the end. I would like to see them maybe given more things to do in the story. You have more sections devoted to them. So yeah, the idea of just revisiting Final Fancy nine and maybe doing some kind of super definitive version of it or whatever they are up to, I'm just super excited see it. My only concern is the voice casting, because before when they've given voices to some of these characters and things like Decidia, even vv's voice at Keenomortes two, I'm always like, these aren't the plice as I imagine for these characters.
Speaker 3: Those are also very much projects where it's like who can we get on this character? You know, it's like how they are fast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, don't you dare smirch the name of Lansby killed it?
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's fun. There's some fun mini games, so you joke abou Tetra Master the card game here was never nearly as well liked as Triple Try it, But here's a point here to edit it a bit, or.
Speaker 2: You know what, let's just put Queen's blood in this too.
Speaker 4: What the he That was great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll maybe get the answer to the question hanging in the air about Final Fantasy nine tomorrow or maybe not at all, maybe not the rest of this year. Maybe it doesn't happen. I would bet on it probably happening, though.
Speaker 4: Oh if you want to hop off everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that we're in you know, kind of hype hype camp and we're thinking about Final Fantasy perhaps nine, perhaps the tactics tactics advance, rob what's the likelihood of, uh, you know, another Square property that bridges the gap with another big company, perhaps Disney, maybe a Kingdom Hearts four.
Speaker 2: It's been a minute since we've seen anything from Kingdom Hearts four, right, that was years ago.
Speaker 4: Now it was years ago basically since that first reveal. I don't think we've seen too much more about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a hot man.
Speaker 1: What was it like three years ago at this point.
Speaker 4: Probably, And at the time I was like, Wow, this is happening sooner than I thought. Who knows, maybe this gime will be out like kind of soon. It's like, oh, no, they did just announce that pretty I thought they wouldn't announce the Kingdom Hearts super early again because they announced Kingdom Hearts three so early. It was announced in April twenty twenty two, so three yeah, three years ago, homest exactly three years ago.
Speaker 3: To be fair, I think Sweary Next has learned their lesson a bit about ambitiously announcing a title as not ready at all and they just have trailer for it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that game probably does perk up again this year. There's a good chance of that. Assume that's not in any kind of trouble, right exactly, Yes, all things being even, And I mean I bet Squerenix wouldn't hate the idea of that showing up in a Nintendo direct, especially if they kind of aim it at the switch to I think that's going to be Squerenix's kind of move here for the next little bit is try to position most things as a switch to game and then put them on everything else as well at the same time. And I think that that could answer so or that could solve some of the problems they had with Final Fantasy being locked down on PlayStation people, not really everywhere, because we kind of.
Speaker 4: Saw what happen when they almost position themselves as like a PlayStation quote unquote second party for a while there in these early PS five days, in late PS four days, you know, there's a a certain point you're limiting the audience. Those people are going to find the game too.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Switch To is this opportunity where so many more of your games will just be able to run there. In fact, make your games designed to run on switch To first, and of course they'll look great on everything else anyways at that point. So yeah, I kind of like, I hope Square Knicks is really thinking hard about switch to for all their projects now.
Speaker 2: I hope so too. All right, let's kind of talk about the Nintendo news and just real quick, it is April Fool's Day, so this is going to be a lighter news section, nothing really from today. No one puts out news today, so yeah, we're going to go easy. But here's what we're talking about. Nintendo switch To Direct got a duration announced. It's going to be sixty minutes. That's in line with what I think I someone asked me, I'm like, I think it's going to be about fifty minutes, five zero minutes it's sixty though, ten extra minutes everybody, So, hey, that is set, says to me, we get a good hefty chunk, maybe twenty five to thirty minutes focused on here's the hardware, the functionality, the interface, and then another twenty five to thirty minutes focused on the games and direct if they do it in the traditional direct style, if it's you know, and who knows actually how it breaks down. But let's say it's thirty minutes of games. They do about one game a minute. So do you think that they're going to have thirty games in this thing? Like obviously they'll be announced for not just for launch, for it well into the future. But thirty games? Does that sound right plausible?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's plausible. I mean, they could rehash a bunch of existing stuff, right and show off how there may be improvements. They could show metro time four again, probably a lot of that.
Speaker 4: You'll see Breath of the Wild at sixty frames per second. There's going to be some that maybe get a little bit of a deeper dive, like Mario Kart will get more than a minute most right, Yeah, just.
Speaker 2: But on average, the way it broke down is like in a direct, you get about one game per minute on average.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is going to be similar to the switch presentation that they did in twenty seventeen leading up to the console's release, which was I looked up here on YouTube, also an hour long. So I think it just only makes sense that they show off the hardware for the first you know, twenty miss to half an hour, like show off what's new, new services, new features, all of that stuff, and they as spend the back half ish talking about the games that are updated. As we know, games will be presented on switch To a unique way in some variety. We still know exactly what that looks like. They'll talk about that, and then we'll see anything that's new coming to switch To and the Nintendo ecosystem for the first time here, because switch To is gonna be a lot beef here. I was thinking about this. This was like a shower thought I had where this is actually consistent with Nintendo. They put out a handheld that is basically the tech from ten years ago that was in console in a handheld, Yeah, like game Boys. The nes GBA is a super Nintendo DSN sixty four three DS with a GameCube and switched with three sixty, I guess you could say, and so yeah, now we're at PS four territory. So that's what is That's what we should be expecting. And with the the leaks that are out there, the rumors, it seems like, yeah, you're going to get any game that could theoretically have a PS four version will show up on switch too, because that just makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's interesting how like motion is relative, so like they've done that consistently, and yet the industry's kind of moved closer to them because the gap between you know, a PS four and a PS five is as small as the console generation's ever been, So a switch to coming out and basically being a PS four just doesn't feel as crazy as when the DS came out and we were comparing it to the PSP and it's like, man, they are so far behind. It's just a completely different world. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look how that turned out, huh.
Speaker 2: I mean, Nintendo strategically always made the right decision. It always worked out on the handheld side.
Speaker 3: So I think what was going to help them is that the industry is actually scaling down a little bit. This is the something that we're just talking about hopefully, Like no, companies are slowly starting to make just you know, slightly smaller projects until we get to the point where we do resustainability again hopefully. That's a hopeful part. But my dad is good for Nintendo because that means more games could theoretically run a scale down port on Switch too.
Speaker 1: I wonder if some of that scaling process has kind of been in motion, not only from like a lot of folks getting laid off across the industry, but also for companies dreading GTA six and trying to avoid that or just slip underneath the radar.
Speaker 4: Not gonna be able to compete with that anyways, no matter what you do, no matter how high use quote unquote scale it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yes, exactly right. That's just money that you do not have, and they have all of it, so it's a completely different thing.
Speaker 1: Yep. Do you think we're going to see a celebrity tomorrow on like this switch to direct Chris? Yeah, just host it is a bad guy now no, well no, he got over skin cancer, so he's still good.
Speaker 2: Okay, You're allowed to be evil if you beat cancer. That's right, That's how it works. Just look at great moment.
Speaker 1: All right, no bad job.
Speaker 4: Really, let's go myself there, April fools. Let's say no, I wasn't going to pretend I had cancer. I wasn't going to do that. Don't worry, it's fine. Keep reading the news, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Cardi.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Other Nintendo stuff, the Nintendo Treehouse, which is like their North American localization team, sort of support team for developers bringing games here. They do a bunch of stuff. They will be doing two streams on April third and April fourth to show off the switch to This is something they used to do after E three. Excuse me all the time. So I'm expecting something along the line. So here's some games that, you know, we're shown off and we're gonna go deep with them talking to the developers. They did one time announce a game during the Treehouse stream, Metro Game Metro Game Samus Returns.
Speaker 3: So maybe we get something fun like that where they're like this thing right, it's like zero.
Speaker 2: And that was crazy. Why why'd they do that? Either way, I'm excited about that. Those treeout streams are fun to just put on and be like, oh it, get some extra tidbits.
Speaker 4: Yes, does that. I remember the one E three they didn't announce Smash Brothers during their like E three presentation, but like that second smaller show where they announced Smash Brothers Brawl or something. I was like, oh, oh, I guess I thought this wasn't happening. It's happening here, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Also, people have sent me some stuff from the update for Nintendo Today, the new app. If you click on the Sea button, according to this like small video, Nintendo just shouts the word Today at you. Okay, So so in this video, I'll just describe it. It's seven seconds. It's from the Nintendo to Day app. They show the Sea button, which is the new button below the home button on the right joycon for the switch to so they have a thumb quick it, and then it shouts Today exclamation point, which is the branding for Nintendo Today. That video, Yeah, yeah, it means in a chat right now, added I'll put it in there again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just teasing what They're just teasing the Sea button, right you know that today? I think that's something that is just a branding for the app. I suppose I don't know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you don't you don't you don't think that the the way that it's framed is saying that this is one of the things the button does is bring up the Today app.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I read it as this got a case in the app early, and it was like they were being clever with the wordplay, as in, like the directives today. Maybe Okay, I know that Today is the name of the app, but that's how I was interpreting, and maybe I'm off with their.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I guess when I watched the video, You're like, there's enough of a beat between when they press it and then ending the app that maybe it is just a reference to the branding that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're just like, hey, we're gonna talk about this soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I still think that pressing the Seabun's probably gonna some sort of hub that takes you to a lot of extra stuff that probably does community communication.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I've been thinking for a long time this it means community maybe connect if they want to be a cute connectivity.
Speaker 1: Is back there we go, connectivity compadres. What if it's a padres button. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Finally, like if it's like, you know, a me verse replacement, if it's some way if it's like the friends list and everything is good now actually, and they just made a dedicade. But because they're Nintendo, I'm thinking something along.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what okay, my two out outlandish ideas. One, what if it's just a cool button. You know, it's like it's the cool button. Yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 2: The ses and games become cools is yeah, I know, I know how to trigger you bud. The other thing, what if it's a cheapy robo button. Okay, wow, yeah, a little a socket pops out of the switch. You gott plug it in the wall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: Sampo next planted out that this video is from Japan, which the event is happening today.
Speaker 4: That's likely just the thing for the daily calendar, is.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, so it's like this is happening today, but you know later on. Okay, how that works out? Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: What if it's a chat button?
Speaker 4: Could be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's that's the kind of thing where I'm like voice chat if it's good the friends list, you know, inviting. Maybe they just like dedicated a but to that.
Speaker 1: For some reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know where this comes from, but a lot of people have online have said campus all right forgot and it brings up up again. That to me sounds like a suite of connectivity features.
Speaker 4: Expect to get to go to some kind of like I doubt it's going to be just one thing for exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to see friend codes tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: The sea for code is just friend.
Speaker 2: Press it and your friend code comes up in comic sands.
Speaker 4: Over the every wait a second, maybe I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, all right, either way, we'll get answers for this here very soon, within the next twenty four hours. We will know what's going on. I'm excited. There was a direct last week. We've talked about it in a bunch of places, but we haven't not talked about it on the BombCast fully, So let's go over the big highlights here. It was a switch one direct. It came out of nowhere mostly although there were rumors Tomodaci Life has you know, really caught on fire, especially in Japan, but it's like it has more likes on Instagram than this switch to reveal in Japan Tomadaci Life. It's that kind of game there.
Speaker 1: I underestimated how crazy people got it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I'm like, I like it, but this is for like, you know, freaks like me. And Dan was excited. I'm like, yeah, listen, we're going to play this up a little bit, but we're kind of over exaggerating. I love the game, but it's like, you know, I'm being a little bit you know, out of pocket with this. It's like, oh no, you know, I completely forgot. There is a huge audience of people for whom these kinds of games are everything, and my kids are that way. They love this kind of thing. Rhythm Heaven Groove Gon announced as well, so a couple of the weirder Nintendo franchises making return, where the Rhythm Heaven Groove is a Rhythm Warrior aware kind of game, although it's not presented that way. It's from the similar team. Metroid Prime four got its most gameplay reveal so far. We saw psychic abilities. That seems to be the big thing here, although you guys get the sense that we still just have seen barely anything from this game. Even though we saw the psychic abilities, I feel like there's so much more in there.
Speaker 3: I I kind of feel like what we're looking at that's Metroid Prime, like, unless they're doing three it's like playing it hopping with a menu, and there's a lot of dialogue which I don't think they would lean into too much.
Speaker 4: Not not we don't want them to.
Speaker 3: No. I think it's gonna be more like Prime two, where like Silenx is like Dark Samus, you have an antagonist throughout it.
Speaker 1: But basically it's gonna be like Prime one, you know. I think they know what.
Speaker 3: People want out of this Morenichs series. I think we're gonna get basically that.
Speaker 2: Then Marvel Comic Invasion, which is a beat him up from Tribute and dot Emu. It looks fantastic. The characters look like they are ripped from Marvel versus Capcom two in the best way. It's very impressive looking.
Speaker 4: It's so cool, and what's you know, what's seen here? As we've seen like seven characters and it's gonna have fifteen though, so there's still heroes in here that we haven't seen yet. It'll be fun to see who else is sort of plucked from that marvsus capcom lineup, who's sort of being introduced to this world because we already have a mix of both of those in this initial lineup. I love Strader's revenge that tribute did I like beat them up a lot? I like marvelsus capcom. Fact, this is like my favorite way of thinking about Marvel is in this particular video game sense. So I'm really excity for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm My thing right now is like I have fallen off hard off the MCU, but I loved X Men ninety seven and wiscon so I'm in the mood for X Men beat him up and that's the thing, and this is definitely a successor to that, while also kind of being bigger and more interesting in some ways. These seven characters were confirmed are Captain America, Spider Man of Venom, Wolverine, Storm.
Speaker 1: Quasar, Oh that's who that was? Ok?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, and then Nova?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Who else would you want to see? Like any just real quick names pop up?
Speaker 4: Do you think they should throw in a good amount of X Men characters. I know they're not doing the X Men game, but like, I want to see Gambit.
Speaker 2: Dambit's the one that, especially after X Men ninety seven, I would love to see Gambit, right, He absolutely crushed it in that season.
Speaker 4: You should have iron Man in here.
Speaker 1: So iron Man or.
Speaker 3: Worse.
Speaker 4: But I want to see a Sunday Buss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Leader of the Goddamn X.
Speaker 4: They should dolops.
Speaker 2: They should do cyclops absolutely please, Yeah, but you need one nerd, I guess.
Speaker 4: Would be good. Well, we never really got much fantastic for sides from Doctor Doom in the Thing or Johnny Storm or you know, the Visible Woman.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, yeah, human tours would be fun flying around stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, I think Richards would be fun.
Speaker 4: I've heard an Invisible Woman is pretty popular these days, so wonder in the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Kicked up sprites, is that what we need?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think all these characters should be in the game and then also have their alter alternative skins so you could play it's the Kelsey Grammar Beast as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's the Kimberly Kelsey Grammar Beast is going to be in a new movie.
Speaker 1: Really worries he's gonna die in like ten minutes?
Speaker 4: Surely right?
Speaker 2: Pat Upon one plus two replay and Everybody's golf also made their way to the switch, or are making their way to the switch.
Speaker 1: This is up.
Speaker 2: These games are published by Bandynamco. There are still Sony properties to Sony like ownership. Trademark is in the fine print. This is not even the first time this has happened, right, freedom Planet?
Speaker 4: Is that more similar to Freedom Planet is the fan game that plays like Sonic?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Sonic game. Yes, I always mix those up. Freedom Wars that happened with that as well. So they're continuing this is what it sounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forgot about that the first time we talked about it too. Yeah, that's a good point that they're just I mean, Bandy Namco seems sort of just despite how huge they are, they do seem sort of like a work for higher thing in Japan where it's like, oh, we need something done, band Nampo's got some team, they'll do it for us, pay them the right amount of money, they get it done, it comes out, and everybody's happy. So yeah, I think I think that's making more and more sense that PlayStation is just like, look, y'all can do this thing. H you know, Everybody's golf is a new game, sort of like licensing it out and then Banda Namco is publishing, and then another team is doing the development of it. So it seems like a weird spider web here. But if they're just like it's we're hands off because a variety of reasons. I guess it makes sense.
Speaker 4: It's just it's just a little weird, Like I don't know, because they are actively making sure that the PlayStation branding is not front and center even visible on any of this stuff. And I don't know, Like, I know, Patapon's not the biggest thing in the world, but you should be a little bit proud that that is a PlayStation franchise.
Speaker 3: You don't want people to that with you, I would argue, it's it's kind of the opposite where it's such a hardcore property that maybe they're like, oh yeah, fan perception with a real hardcore crowd would be like no, no, no, pat pons our thing, what are you doing here?
Speaker 4: And yeah, yes, And I bet there are definitely are people say that, like, but we're turning a corner on all of that stuff, right, we want to be.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like we talked about in the direct, more, it's a combination of like fan perception affecting how the market is received and everything like that. There's there's a whole weird, nebulous, like said spider web of stuff happening there that makes it all kind of tricky.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I just Brenton you guys a message.
Speaker 1: What is he doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sorry about that. Then Disney's Villain Disney Villain's Curse Cafe. Mike talked about that earlier, but that kind of announced here. Yeah, it was not obviously not the only like Disney thing popping up there. Marvels as well. I'm sorry, Yeah, Marvel Cosmic Invasion. So Disney like continues to see Nintendo as like a home base for them. They did that Mickey game Disney Illusion Island, Disney Illusion Island, which I think is still only ever been on Switch. Did that ever even come to PC?
Speaker 1: No, it was on PC. That's the at the Illusion Island. I'm thinking of the Farming game. Sorry, yeah, yeah, this game.
Speaker 4: Is still only on Nintendo Switch. The Lousion Island, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Weird, right, and that's a multiplayer Metroid Vane which was a real fun play with the family. But yeah, I think that continues to make a lot of sense. Obviously, Nintendo and Disney there's some synergy there in terms of audiences that they go after. So not surprised to see them sort of position this game front and foremost as a Nintendo thing. All right, virtual game card they announced that as well, it's their family sharing plan. I think I was surprised to see so many people like confused by this, but I guess like going back and watching, it's like, okay, if you are not someone who has tried to do this with a family, yeah, having them lay it out like how like, oh, you're going to need to have someone who's like using your switch account on the system, and then also if you have a family plan and all that stuff like that stuff like I imagined as I was struggling to get this to work with like three kids before. So it's like, Okay, they're doing the thing I wanted. You haven't done this before. It did sound a little bit like Greek.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was seeing online, where like people who have never done anything like this are like why are they doing this convoluted, weird system with like sharing a virtual item, And then anyone who's ever attempted a family plans like, oh my god, this makes things so much easier. Yes, thank you, just like simplify the system. It becomes like this virtual item that I send over to the person who I want to share the game with. They open it up. It's like they just have the digital game downloaded, it just works so much easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, it's like the digital game is a physical game that you ended to them. It's kind of exactly what they're saying, a virtual game card.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you brought up on GBN of like the whole Xbox before the backlash thing in Xbox one era, of like being able to share your digital games this way as if they were a physical item, and I was like, no, no, no, we want the discs, and Nintendo is just like yeah. But now we're at a plate where this is a good idea and I think y'all will like it.
Speaker 2: And I think Nintendo for as much as you know, we had a Reese Elliott on a game Game Breaking News as well, and he mentioned like for Nintendo, physical still massive for Switch, but it is still trending in the direction of more and more digital every day. So this is Nintendo kind of predicting behaviors and being ready to catch people who are like, Okay, for Switch one, I was buying physical games. I might go digital for Switch to, but I just can't make it make sense because I have a kid I want to share a game with, or you know. The other thing here is backward compatibility. People are gonna get switched to they already have a switch one, They're gonna pass the switch one onto someone else, and it's like, okay, you have all those digital games. We want to encourage people to keep buying digital because it does give us a higher profit margin. We don't have to worry about things like, let's say, tariffs or importing discs from Mexico or something like that. There are a lot of reasons why Nintendo wants to get this going. I'm glad that they finally did. I wasn't really sure if they ever would. Steam family sharing is still way better, but this is going to work.
Speaker 3: Mostly, you can't compare anything to Steam because Steam does no basically everything better because they're all pretty business yep.
Speaker 2: Completely different situation yep. And then Nintendo today, We've mentioned a couple times they announced this. This was the one last thing, you know, they had Tomodacci life. Then Mimoto comes out. It's like, I got something special for y'all, a phone app, and I'm just Nintendo never change. It's a daily calendar news service thing that will update every day at least with a little piece of either information or some fun aside a jpeg for example, who knows it's here. It as hell, But it's Nintendo's way of doing things obviously, Like I do think that they do this because they want to control their platforms. Yes, And I think the day that Elon Musk asked them for forty thousand dollars a month to post to share images from the Switch, they were like, you know what, we never know what's going to happen with these platforms we don't own. We got to figure it out. This guy is weird and asking for money. We got to get out, Like, they're not going to leave these platforms where they have millions of eyeballs, especially Twitter, they have so much sway when they tweet anything, they're not leaving. They don't want to be beholden to anyone, and so this is them like setting themselves up to have a way of like we can announce the release date for the Zelda movie March seventeenth. By the way, twenty twenty seven they announced that. That was the first thing they announced in the Nintendo Today app. Basically, we can announced that there and that will just find itself its way to every other platform, so we can control it where we're doing it and it'll just go everywhere else.
Speaker 3: In naturally, that's kind of what they've been doing with like Nintendo Direct was originally well, we don't need E three. Why do we deal with these dudes like we just knew our own journalists everywhere? Yeah, my journalists.
Speaker 1: I would follow Nintendo if they made their own social media platform.
Speaker 2: I used me Tomo, I used me Verse. You know, maybe they didn't. I didn't use me Verse enough to save it. I apologize for that. I used it a lot, so I don't think they'll ever like fully do that again.
Speaker 1: But I did enjoy them when they did, the world needs them to.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I need to tell everyone that I'm using tiled controls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's the where's the yaz and chat? H there we go, all right. Finally, Ubisoft has a new subsidiary that is twenty five percent owned by ten Cent. This is like basically they spun off this other company that is owned by Ubisoft and then also twenty five percent owned by ten Cent. That twenty five percent came because ten Cent injected a few one point one point one six billion euros, So that's going to give Ubisoft some cash to help fund development for these games. Going forward, the games that this subsidiary will focus on, and it has taken control of essentially our Assassin's Creed, Farcray, and Rainbow six, so not even like the full Tom Clancy suite. And yeah, I think that this is a move exclusively with the purpose of keeping the Yeves Gimo and the Gimo family in charge of Ubisoft. They said explicitly that's what they were trying to do. That's all this really accomplishes. And then it leaves anyone working on any other game. I think it's some weird purgatory of wait, what happens to us? And I you know, it sounds like no one really knows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my big questions, Like, okay, so like what does this mean for anything that isn't one of those three franchises? What is going on with that Prince of Persia stuff? Beyond Good and Evil too, they swear, is still a video game, even things like we just stance right, Like what, well, how does that operating? Why is that separate? Is this some real corporate maneuvering that is beyond my understanding?
Speaker 2: Yep, it's uh, I mean I get that they're just trying to get some cash and save themselves in this moment. But I think the question we would all have is, Okay, well, how does this, you know, save the overall Ubisoft unit, How does this ensure that these games are successful going forward? And this answer is none of that. In fact, it's like now Assassin's Creed, far Crying Rainbow six, just like always, but maybe even more so now. Those games have to hit hard. They have to be more successful maybe before now than they were before to justify all this, and that is yeah, that's where Ubisoft has been for a long time now, So it's really not much has changed other than the corporate structuring and ownership a little bit. Ten Cent is invested in all kinds of game developers and game publishers. That is an old story. At this point. They are not really trying to take over the industry in terms of running it, but they are trying to invested in every aspect of the industry and that hasn't changed and this continues to be a big part of that. And they are definitely getting you be Soft while they are down this subsidiary. I think they valued at like four billion dollars obviously, Yeah, the one point one six is twenty five percent, So it's about a little bit over four billion dollars. They're expecting that to go up if these games do indeed hit, and if they don't, well, ten cents right there to take over these brands permanently, and that's probably where this ends up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still scary to see stuff, you know, like like this, not stand what's happening because it really sucks. Yesterday seeing more layoffs at Idos in Montreal, and that's just a studio that did nothing but make good video games, right yeah, but they got Embraced and that sucked. And that Embracer group is its own weird story about just strange, stupid things happening with money.
Speaker 2: If they laid off people from crystall Dynamics last week, right, so, Crystal Namics and then Idos this week. It's NonStop and Embracers.
Speaker 1: Just a joke.
Speaker 2: They continue to be a complete joke. Even when they have successful game. It has done nothing to stem all of these layoffs. It's just been relentless, all right. That are those are the headlines DOM including this week. Everyone else, go enjoy your stupid April fools Fools Day and I'll hand the show back over to you.
Speaker 4: You're even doing very many of them. I think everyone's so over it and they're like, when they are done, they have to be real. Also, everybody understands so I am.
Speaker 2: And I think it's like everyone's like, we're already living a constant April fools.
Speaker 4: That's my life.
Speaker 2: Please just don't do this joke anymore.
Speaker 1: All right, folks, We're gonna take a quick brick breaking. We will be back with emails and after this, just kidding, we're doing emails now. Emails podcast at giant bomb dot com is the email addressed to send your emails to right in about any and everything. I welcome all emails. The floodgates are open. I've unlocked the gates with my my own personal digital key blade, and I'm also digging through the spam folder. Don't worry, I make sure that none of emails go there. If you have a fun quiz, if you want to ask Mike Manatti what he who he thinks is in the Wutan group, or what is a song or what cream stands for, you can do that. I love and appreciate all of the appreciation y'all have been sending our way. Try and share that with a crew when they come in. We love you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This is for you.
Speaker 1: That's right, folks. First email of the show is hello, BombCast, got another trivia effect for you. The origin of a chainsaw came from medical practice. At first, Oh, I don't like this. A chainsaw was a small chain with sharp teeth on it that was hand pulled. It'd be used to diseased, infected bone. I should have read this at a time you put this in here. I know, and at times helps saw a part the pelvist to help with the cold child birth little to no anesthesia. Then I only know this from a history class I took in UNI on the history of medicine. That fact has haunted me for years, so now you can share it with me. Thanks Simon from Saskatchewan. All right, cool, saw part the pelvis.
Speaker 4: At what point do you not just kill me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, just just kill me and take it out and let the baby fin for itself. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna, we're just gonna get past that hanging yep. Yeah, we don't need to think about that anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to think ladies might have been mistreated in history.
Speaker 1: Guys, listen, they had their month already all right here right?
Speaker 2: You know what empathy, it's the weakness with God.
Speaker 4: There's that rough scene in that John Adams Macer's I Love where his daughter has breast cancer and they just take they show you how they take care of that back.
Speaker 1: Then, and I think that there's gonna be a great email segment. Hey, random bund help us. Okay, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: After including that on the podcast.
Speaker 1: I would like next email comes from Owen in Minnesota. I'd like to post a distinction in this live action versus animation debate for the line Kick movies and the like, assuming they motion capture the actress for the scenes, even just their faces, I would say that is live action. I'm in the same vein. Would you consider the Blue People on Avatar animated or the Incredible Hulk in the MCU. Owen from Minnesota, It's all I'm complicated, everything's ana.
Speaker 4: I'm animated. Right now. You're not actually looking at me. You're looking at a bunch of pixels and lights shining on your screen, flickering at a certain frame rate to make it look like I'm there. Right, It's all.
Speaker 3: Well, so animation. You can't use raw motion capture in order to display something on screen, especially in as saying as high quality as a movie, but even in video games, you need to do in between animations in order to clean up the motion capture. So they are adding animation to whatever the motion capture already is. So yeah, it's it's animating.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's an algorithm that does that these days sometimes, but sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh god, yeah, animators have it rough nowadays because yeah, AI is I literally just listened to you on some tech podcasts where because that was and Nvidia had as part of their thing at GDC. I think of they are literally just yeah, gonna have AI do in between stuff nowadays. And yeah, but but it is adding to the raw data those there. So I would say it's but this.
Speaker 4: Isn't really helping the Lion King thing because it's not like that's performance capture. I don't, I mean, they weren't.
Speaker 2: I know that they Here's what I remember from The Lion King is that who's the director, John John Favreau. I thought they shot down on the volume and that's why he wanted to use it for Mandalorian And they had like actors on the volume, like pretending to be lions.
Speaker 4: I thought, Gosh, I don't know like the.
Speaker 1: Behind the scenes stuff I've seen. I just remember seeing Donald Glover and Beyonce in a vo booth.
Speaker 2: Okay, I could be wrong. I vaguely remember like learning that, but maybe that's not exactly how it went out. But got it.
Speaker 4: Even if your performance quote unquote performance capture that you are still working from very little to turn that into a lion, then we know. So let's say we just consider that animation then and then well, now we have two anime linking movies. We need a way to distinguish them. Still, you know, it's gonna be fine because all these live action remakes they have, despite making a lot of money, sometimes they have very little sting power into public consciousness. Anyways, in ten years, we don't have to think about the live action linking movie no more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, I like definitely like forgot about Maleficent, And I was seeing like like a bunch of these listened the other day. I'm like, oh, yeah, that they did a Cinderella. Forgot about that?
Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, y'all remember they made a Kuela movie they made.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was that Alison Winnerland remake with Johnny Depp, and it made all his big money. I remember all the Disney podcasts like, Wow, maybe they have to start using these versions of the characters going forward because this is what's popular now. Again, there's so there's there's no longevity there.
Speaker 2: That was just the first That was just the first three D movie after Avatar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because didn't take any money because yeah.
Speaker 2: No one saw that sequel.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, folks, I'm not down. I'm not bagging on Corella. I actually enjoyed it. It was funny that those Dalmatians did kill her.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. It's so funny that she actually has a vendetta against the Dalmatians. In Villain's Curse Cafe, a different villain said like, oh, what are you some kind of pet? And then the game's like ooh, Corrella's ears perked at that, and then she looked at me like she wanted to skin me and turn me into a coat.
Speaker 1: So that was good. Uh, all right, we got a question about chairs from John from Greece, My dearest, Sweetest Bomb Crew. I used to game on my PS five sitting on the couch. I just built myself a new PC and I'm planning to do most of my gaming on my new thirty two inch curved o led. I thought I was about to say oiled PC screen two syllables. I have never looked into gaming chairs. Please help, any help is appreciated. Keep in mind I'm forty years old. Thanks Jonathan Breese.
Speaker 2: Okay, go on to social media and find a man named Chris person. He will tell you about all the ways to find what are those very popular ar Mi Killer, Herman Miller, Aaron chairs. And the offices are always throwing these out. Offices are not being populated these days, so a lot of these are just kind of being given away, and they're fifteen hundred dollars otherwise, you know, if you go to buy it new, So scour Facebook, Marketplace, Craigslist, all these other things and try to get a used airon chair. That's probably probably a good move for you. Also, like there's a lot of knockoffs now that are pretty good. These gamers chairs. Tell you what my butt hurts right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Don't buy a gaming chair unless you're getting known as part of being a media person. Don't worry. Don't worry about gaming chairs. They're not built for sitting there long term. They're built for looks. Like Jeff said, you can find offices getting rid of those. You can find refurbished ones a lot cheaper than you and knew because you would like ideally you would get yeah, like a thousand dollars chair, but you know, find a place where you can get it for like, you know, two hundred because they're liquidating it or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the secret lab when I have like the arm rests are cracking on the sides and it's kind of sharp and it hurts. Yeah, it's kind of a weird problem.
Speaker 1: But yeah, uh, if Facebook Marketplace is an option, I wouldn't specifically look for and type Herman Miller air on chair, just something generic like office chair, desk chair, because sometimes people are getting rid of treasures and they don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like we CRT is. You don't search for CRT TV, you search for old TV on Facebook Park.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, I learned that from y'all, And I've almost pulled the trigger too many times on a CRT That was balgs. All right, last email of the show. Sorry folks for a shorter pot today. We got some basneas to take care of sudden work travel I gotta travel to the office and it's raining. No, what what am I gonna do? Anyway? Brad from Arizona Rising Happy Tuesday. Mitch joked on the dump truck that he has probably eaten more tree bark in his life than tree fruit, and I don't think his his joke was properly understood and appreciated. Somebody asked Dan where cinnamon comes from? Parentheses? If Dan isn't available, please ask one of the Jeffs to impersonate him.
Speaker 2: Where Where what am I reading? Is? Do I got to read something?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, okay, you're doing great job so far?
Speaker 1: Perfect? All right?
Speaker 2: Wait wait, yeah, I can't remember anything. I'm Dan Riker and also Jeff Grabb.
Speaker 4: Damn, Dan Riker. Where do you think cinnamon comes from?
Speaker 2: I've never thought about that.
Speaker 1: Why do you sound like Daffy Duck.
Speaker 4: I've never thought about.
Speaker 2: That, Riker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but cinnamon comes from the tree, the tree, the wood shavings.
Speaker 2: It's tree fruit, seething.
Speaker 1: Where where tree fruit?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 1: Where do where do corks come from? What?
Speaker 2: Ireland?
Speaker 4: Oh my Jesus, Jesus, he's a cork.
Speaker 1: Jesus, he's a cork. Okay, I mean is that why there's so many Catholics in Ireland? Okay? Okay, Dan?
Speaker 2: Wait wait no, real quick? Was it a joke.
Speaker 3: That you that you ate more tree bark than might be a little confused here?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, No, I don't mean it's a joke in the sense I think. I do think it's funny, but I.
Speaker 3: Think that's a miss up here.
Speaker 1: Is no Mike meant that.
Speaker 2: Joke.
Speaker 4: It's funny, but I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: Okay, Uh, Jeff, Dan, h Where does rubber come from?
Speaker 2: They grow it in a lab?
Speaker 1: Okay. Brad continues on what's something that you were surprised to learn is actually natural or something you were surprised to learn isn't natural? Brad in Arizona.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know this has been a while ago now, But like when I did learn that gelatine is just from bones from the animal bones and things like that, you know, because it comes in like that powder, It's like, well, this is the most obvious artificial made in a lab stuff possible. It's like, No, you get that from bones. That's why stocks are good. If you have a lot of bones in there, you get that body in there.
Speaker 1: That body audience.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh lufahs being like plants.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Is there a specific plant, like a specific plant up?
Speaker 4: They just grow on the trees like that drink at everything.
Speaker 2: That old BBC Aprifool's joke where they showed people harvesting spaghetti noodles and it's like all like growing individually on a tree and they just show people pulling spaghetti off a tree. It's like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I swear I'm not making this up.
Speaker 4: I don't have it seems fibrous, some kind of weird fibrous plants or something.
Speaker 1: Lufa lufa anyway.
Speaker 2: Of the vine growing lufa plants.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Yeah, I don't got anything else that I'm surprised is not that is natural versus na oh, hold on, we we have a hot email coming in from from someone?
Speaker 4: Is it from Nikki?
Speaker 1: Who can say? Perhaps? Who can say just a guess Who's This is too much flattery. I don't like this jan reading you're gonna like it here bomb cast. Did you know Jana Choa is incredible? He whips incredible, guy keeps the wheels on this bus rolling. He's great. Everyone say that. I like jam from Giant Bomb staff. It's too nice.
Speaker 4: I like jams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys, I definitely like in our slack yesterday. I think Sean, You're like, we have to like have a gan appreciation, like.
Speaker 3: That hour sitting there understanding how our new streaming stuff works. Jan deserves more than we give him tenfold Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I think we just like he always does not like compliments. I'm always just like, thank you, man. That's all I do.
Speaker 4: Now, thank you Jo him money no, no, five dollars, Please.
Speaker 1: Not do that. Spend your money somewhere else. Please. I appreciate all of you anyway. That that does it. For emails once again, BombCast a Giant bomb dot com is the email address. What I would like actually is like, you know, let's let's good people healthcare on this website.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, that's different money.
Speaker 4: I just want to say at more time, sincerely as possible. Jan, I appreciate you a pro fool.
Speaker 2: We haven't done any of those. The random actually came through that time.
Speaker 1: I will say grub once I installed the Gogsler stuff. It has been very so yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I won't say that I've been a little shoot hot at you for like a year telling you to install that and you haven't been. But I have been a little shoot hot at you.
Speaker 4: It's okay. Jan Jeff got a little shoot hot at me yesterday too.
Speaker 2: I was Yeah, he was too. He was too he was too.
Speaker 1: Nice and too helpful. That does it for today's podcast. That is it for today's power block. We got some stuff to work on. Uh, Grub, I guess we're gonna wake up super early and talk over this direct.
Speaker 2: I'll be up all ranks. I gotta take my kids to school. I did invite Nicky, and I think they said they'd be there, and I'm just like, nick you don't gotta do that. Because we are gonna start streaming at like five forty five. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So here we go. It's gonna be switched to talk over. There will be a lot of other stuff happening on the site. Switch to related game. Spot's got some stuff happening well, like there's a chance for Grub's gimmicks. I might do some clean up at that point, especially if like something like really interesting interesting and pops off, or maybe I'll just play a game inspired by something like oh this game is coming to which to now we'll just play the original.
Speaker 1: We don't have to.
Speaker 4: But we did talk about maybe doing Delight Club with Katamari Reroll and it was on sale and I did buy that.
Speaker 2: I think that that because this way the scheduling worked out, was something else got put in that place. I'll don't let you know.
Speaker 4: They'll play katamor don Mussy Reroll some other time.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll find a time to make that happen though. But yeah, lots to switch to stuff tomorrow, everybody, so keep an eye on the power block.
Speaker 1: Yes, also Voicemail Dump Truck Unprofessional Fridays BCR later this week, the Game Spots show as well Game Breaking News Wednesday, Thursday, Friday correct grub.
Speaker 2: That's right, yep, and it was Inzoy. That's why we couldn't do it. Lucy's gonna play Enzoy tomorrow in the Light Club.
Speaker 1: Splot there we go, splot splocked tune. Hey, I heard you can un alive children in in ZOI not anymore.
Speaker 2: They did update it so you cannot no longer can kill two Okay, sorry, sorry, Mikey.
Speaker 1: All right, I know that there are gonna be the Treehouse streams that may be too long to watch along but I'm sure grub in.
Speaker 2: I think, look, they should be on like when we're doing other stuff. So we'll check in the company. Yeah, we'll keep tabs on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, enzoy, Lucy's gonna try and check that out tomorrow, folks, if you missed it last week, Trabo Shawn Sean McDowell here put together the Tam and Lucy Japan vlog where they interviewed shoe Heyoshida as well as a team between thirty three Immortals. It's a big three, ah, dang it wrong, thirty three Claire Obscure Expedition thirty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just that demo for that just got removed from my Steam account.
Speaker 1: Weird walking around Japan talking about all the stuff that inspired them with Claire Obscure, very very good.
Speaker 3: They got some good footage for that. It was a good idea for an interview to just be in Tower Wreckers or a super Potano just be like, hey, we like this and this is how it influenced our game. That was pretty cool. So yeah, it's a it's a big one. It's almost two hours long, put it together in four a k. It's a it's a big long watch. It's got time stamps, so you want to skip around, definitely check it out if you haven't.
Speaker 1: All right, it's a big boy. And speaking about big boys, the Game Spot team put together the Stalker two doc. I suggest y'all check that out as well. Folks, gentlemen, oh god. We will see you next week for another episode of the Giant Bobcast. And you know what's fucking crazy, The switch to will be like real real by the next time we're podcasting together on Tuesday. We'll see you next week for another episode of the podcast. And he has been shown, He has been Mikey has been Group, I've been jan and I'm getting shoot hot now Mike Tom Dugs is a different day and time.
Speaker 4: Dogs can be Tomorrow Night. Music's thought that threw me off the Ted Talks is tomorrow Night. Listen Tomorrow Night to Karis switch.
Speaker 1: I don't mean that la way, it's it's rare too, I swear all right, we'll see if folks. Bye bye h