Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I am six forty.
Speaker 3: It's a Later with mo Kelly live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and was still working on the YouTube feed. It will be up in just a moment, just like you're accustomed to seeing it. But joining me right now is Joe Kwan. You know her of course from KFI but also Spectrum News. Jokwan is great to talk to you.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 4: I am good, just you know, planning my surf for tomorra.
Speaker 3: You are planning your surf for tomorrow, and that's part of the reason why I wanted to reach out to you last week. I was asking you informally on text message. Did the toxic algae bloom impat you in any way or at least your decision making? You told me privately, No, You're gonna be out there surfing well tonight. We know about this four thousand gallon sewage spill which has shut down portions of Huntington Beach and Newport Beach and it's been closed since Saturday. Do these headlines impact you personally or surfing wise anything.
Speaker 4: No, they don't impact my decision, Like I go every morning at dawn patrol, which is when the sun is rising, and you go, and you know, it's a little bit less crowded, and sometimes I mean that is close issh to some of the spots that I like to go to. But anytime it rains, anytime you know, there's a little bit of sprinkles. You know, they tell you don't go in the water for seventy two hours, but I know I don't really heed those mornings. If the water noticeably looks a little brown gray, I perhaps might wait a day, but typically not really. And suage fills, sure, obviously the beaches are closed, and you know, when it's at the end of a river day, so well, the I guess you would say the most southern edge of that sewage spill at least, you know, however they do that when it goes out and the water floats out is at the end of also a river jetty, which is not where I typically surf because that's where runoff also goes. And yeah, I mean, if it's in a spot that I go to every morning, then I might think about perhaps picking another spot.
Speaker 3: I don't surf, And there are people who may not surf or know some of the ins and outs you made mention of if it rains you may wait a certain amount of time.
Speaker 2: Why is that.
Speaker 4: They tell you to wait seventy two hours because the runoff can bring in chemicals, gas, you know, just stuff on the street into the ocean. I know, I've gone surfing before. After it rains, there's a particular spot in Seal Beach where it just looks like a landfill. After it rains, the sand Gray Briol River brings in. I mean, there was one day, and I have to say that sometimes surfers are a stupid species. But we just go because we love it and we ignore all the other things. But there's there were bowling balls, mattresses, shoes, just a trash pile in the water. We were I didn't know that bowling ball until that day. So you know, you just kind of when you catch a wave, you sort of maneuver around the things in the water. It just brings a lot junk in the water, plastic bags, straws, bottle caps. One time I found high heels of a yeah, I got what you would call a stripper here. Clear that was one of the most interesting things I've seen in the water. Yeah, so after it rains, you typically don't because it can bring in some stuff that can get in your ears and your nose and give you some bad stuff.
Speaker 3: You're not only part of the surfer species, You're a part of the new spec And I say that because not only are you aware of the news, you're covering the news. You cover the news about toxicology, you cover the news about these seward spills. You've covered the news about the domoic acid as well. How does that figure into maybe what you tell other surfers or how you conduct yourself.
Speaker 4: Listen a lot of times with let's say, for example, you, I'm sure have heard about the demok acid poisonings, a lot of felines stranding on the beaches, dolphins dying, birds dying getting sick. I ask questions and do stories, and ask researchers and that marians. You know, a researcher down in scripts Institution of Oceanography is looking at demoic acid and kind of hoping to find different molecular clues in the water to say a bloom is about to happen before it actually happens. And of course the number one question as just a normal person. You have to be a reporter, you don't have to be a surfer. You see it on the beaches that we enjoy. Can it affect us? She said, it's very rare. So it's this thing called nitzsche It is an algal bloom that produces the neurotoxin that's getting all these sea animals sick. And she said the only way a human can get sick is if you eat one of the shellfish that is filled with the sudanicha stuff. And you know, immediately after bloom they do give out warnings of don't eat the shellfish, you know, the muscles and all those things in the water. So knowing that, I guess they go in armed with information just by the nature of my being a reporter, but and also just being naturally curious and asking those questions. And if it was bad where they said yeah, you could get YadA YadA, I might think about not going, but it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 2: Joe Quad, you are an early riser.
Speaker 3: I am not for those that just tuning in joke on a spectrum news And also Kfi joins us as we talk about toxicology. The recent of four thousand gallons of sewage spill up and down portions of Orange County beaches. Joe, would you get up in the morning? What time are we talking about?
Speaker 4: Typically I'm up about five thirty in the morning. I try to get out of the house by just before six or right around six, and in the water by about six thirty am. But they're early risers. I know. You know Matt money Smith. I pretty much see him every morning we serve together.
Speaker 2: Okay, it took my next question, go ahead, and he's.
Speaker 4: Out there at before six often, so we call that vampire patrol because it's dark.
Speaker 2: What type of workout is it for you?
Speaker 3: I see you often post like maybe how many hours you're out there, how many calories you've burned.
Speaker 2: What's the physicality of it?
Speaker 4: It depends, you know, if you're paddling hard and you're getting longer waves, of course you're paddling back to what's called the so it's past that sort of whitewashed sort of area a little bit further out. So every time you catch one in, you got to paddle back out. So it really depends on how how soft the waves are. Then you got to paddle really hard to get into them. If they're a little bit steeper, then you don't have to paddle as hard to get into them, but you have to paddle hard to get out back to the lineup. And you know, in an hour, I'm doing at least an hour every morning, and it ranges for my four hundred five hundred calories. It just depends on how hard you're working out. And sometimes you know, the waves are small and they're few and far between, and it's just about being out in the water, in the cold water and hanging out and you yeah, you know, three hundred four hundred calories.
Speaker 2: Joke quant my last question.
Speaker 3: I often talk about how I try to stay my ass out of the water as I get older because I don't want things touching me. I don't want things brushing up against me. I don't want things biting me. I don't want things stinging me. So tell me, Number one, have you encountered a shark?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 3: That's number one? And number two, have you ever stepped on a sting ray? You've been stung by jellyfish? Tell me all the horror stories.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yes to shark I've seen sharks. Southern California is again just because of the stories I do, which are a lot of beach environment type of stories. You know, I'm talking Chris Lowe at the shark lab at cal State Long Beach. You know, this is an area where juvenile white sharks, the babies are growing up. This is a nursing areas, yes, and then there's some nurse sharks or leper charts. I'm not exactly sure up in Venice Beach that I've seen by my foot. You know, I'm not too worried about that, Okay, because I'm already freaking you out. But Jelly, I was stung by something one time last summer. I don't know what it was. Doctor suspected it was some sort of stingray family. And yet stingrays are it's kind of like street cred for surfers. I guess I've been stung twice on the right foot, same foot, different times. You just there's an area in Fe'll Beach at the jetty with that is full of stingrays. I mean, I remember last summer. The waves are good, you just go, it doesn't matter. You're sharing with hundreds of stingrays. And as you're riding a wave, you can see the little wings of the stingray going along with you a ton of them. I'm not talking about one or two. There would be maybe ten fifteen surrounding you. You just learn how to land, either on your board at the end of the wave, or you do you make your body like a starfish and you spread out so you sort of slash on top of the water and not touch the grod. So there are prequestions you can take to avoid getting stung, but it happens, Chokewan. I'm not helping the case for you to get.
Speaker 2: In the jellyfish, stingray and sharks. Oh my, that's what you're telling me.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Jokwan, thank you for.
Speaker 4: Making sure therefore it you're not touching those things.
Speaker 2: So all right, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You already told me you've seen sharks, you've been stung by jellyfish and stingrays.
Speaker 2: Thank you, you just sealed the deal, Chokewan.
Speaker 3: Spectrum News, thank you for all your expertise and coming on under short notice. And I will say you and Matt Mohney Smith beat very safe out there because I'm not coming to save you. Well by Chokwan, It's later with Mo Kelly. Our YouTube show is up and running. Right now, we're live everywhere the iHeartRadio
Speaker 1: App you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty