Speaker 1: We're all born with the ability to pay attention and to be still, and to intuit what's happening in our lives and what works and doesn't work, and what's fulfilling and not fulfilling. It's just that we live in a society that kind of squashes that, because those of us who are connected to self and connected to intuition are actually pretty dangerous to systems who kind of function on the backs of those of us who look outside of ourselves for validation.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 3: Everyone, my name is Haley and this is Lara, and welcome to the Body Pod. Welcome Vanessa Bennett. As I was just stating offline, I am so excited to have you here. Welcome to the Body Pod.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 3: So I just want to dive in write at first, as I mentioned, I had no clue that I've never even heard of half of these terms that I'm reading your bio and your books. So what is depth psychology?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a question I get a lot, actually, So part of the reason why I wrote the book. Dep psychology is really an umbrella term that we use for Jungian psychology, analytical psychology, and archetypal psychology. So dep psychology is known as the psychology of the soul, and it is more of again being union. In practice, it's a lot more interested in the collective and the individual as kind of an inseparable entity. Right, you cannot look at the individual without the collective and vice versa. We also work with a lot of unconscious materials. So this is where the archetypes and the dreams and the image and the metaphor come into play, because the unconscious actually speaks to us through those languages. They don't, it doesn't speak through what we would know as language. So a lot of times I'm working with kind of what's not being said, like the undercurrent, if you will, And it really has this one driving force, which is this idea of individuation. It's the soul's path kind of you in this embodiment and really helping that person move forward on that soul's journey, on that soul's path, like whatever is best for the soul.
Speaker 3: So what does a session look like when somebody comes to you, I mean, are they looking as let me just read this because this really caught my attention in your bio where you say before I became a therapist. I spent over a decade in the fast paced world of corporate New York. On paper I had made it. I cannot tell you. Let me just pause there. I cannot tell you how many women I know that this resonates with. I only work with midlife women, obviously in the fitness realm, so I'm not going into this emotional psychological realm. But it all plays into this connected, all connected in this life. And by saying but underneath, I felt disconnected, anxious and numb and like I was living someone else's life. How did you get to I mean, clearly you got to that point, and how did you have the courage to kind of transition there? Because this speaks to midlife women like I've nothing I've ever heard. A lot of us are coming into the space where we're like, great, now we have perimenopause and menopause, and our bodies are changing, and our kids. You know, I have struggled with just troubled teens, we have aging parents, we have all of these things, and then now we're like questioning. I don't even think I would love your take on this too. I don't even think it's necessarily a midlife crisis. It's like a midnight midlife awaken awake, and like, where do I want to spend the rest of my like half of my life is over? Where do I go from here in the next portion? And I'm assuming all of that comes into your practice. So that was a lot of questions involved in there. So I'm going to let you just.
Speaker 1: Let's pull some threads up. I'll pull some threads. I can do this, okay, So first off, I would say, for me the idea of like when did this happen for me? There's this moment too around what we would call like the quarter life crisis. And the thing that a lot of people don't understand is that the concept of the midlife crisis is actually a Junian concept. You'll actually coined that term, and it really was more of an awakening to use your work, which I think is so brilliant. But there's also more than just the one. There's also a quarter life that we see happen too, and so this could be what we would call saturn return if you're talking about it astrologically, right, some people know that term, but it's that moment where you start to go something doesn't feel right. I've been checking the boxes and I still don't feel like I'm you know, happy or satisfy with my life. And for me, it was around that time when I started being like, huh. And I talk a lot in my sessions with my clients about this concept of bread crumbs, and so what I started doing was just following my bread crumbs. I just started leaning into what brings me a sense of a liveness, not questioning it, just into it and then allowing one bread crumb to lead to another to lead to another. And so that was really what ended up putting me in my Depth psychology program, coming from advertising and switching my career entirely was the breadcrumbs that just started like lending themselves to me being fascinated by all of this stuff. And now here I am also midlife, right, And the next awakening I had, whether we call a midlike crisis or not, was around becoming a mom. It's really these moments in our lives where I would say it's an ego explosion, it's an ego death. Everything you think you were, everything you thought you knew suddenly like implodes, right. All the tools that you thought were working suddenly don't work. Anymore, and you're like, what the hell is going on? That's that moment, that's that threshold.
Speaker 3: Holy cow, Okay, hold on, let's just back up really quick. And then Lara has something to say because she's a new mom as a two year old, you know, ling later part of the forties, so this is all new where I had my kid kits in my twenties and thirties. But I just want to go back. You weren't advertising, it.
Speaker 1: Was I was. I was a creative producer for like twelve years before I changed careers, So something about like storytelling and image and archetype and metaphor was obviously already alive in me. But I think I was maybe just like putting it through another channel.
Speaker 3: I love it. I just have to say that because my husband's in advertising and we were in New York and so we've done this whole thing and it's just it is. I mean, it happens in men as well, but specifically since we're a female audience, this transition, How did you even have the courage? Because I'm sure that you had this back and forth. I can't leave this super crusty, secure job that I'm good at, and maybe I'm going to go start this and hope for the best. I mean, there's a lot I'm imagining that this was not just an overnight I'm going to do this bye.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not. And I didn't just leave a career. I left a fiance, I left a life, I left my family, I left everything, and I packed up in across the country on my own.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was after to your point, it wasn't an overnight thing. Right. This is why I say breadcrumbs because I'm sure, like you all, somebody comes in and they're like, I want to change everything right now, and you're like, all right, well, whoha, whoa back up? Right, Let's kind of do this in increments. And that was really what I did. And I was still working full time when I was in grad school, so I didn't have any kind of financial backing. I don't come from money, so I was like, I got to work as long as possible. So I was doing both full time, and it was it was a slow but then rewarding process. When I actually finally did make the leap, I think I kind of already had. I felt like I had my feet underneath me. Although it was still big risk to finally leave the job, and let's be real, I went back to like the broke college student in like my early to mid thirties, and I had to take a little bit of like a leap of faith. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there's ego in that too. One part of your side is everyone has something to say about where you are in your life and to have to go back it's it's it's humbling.
Speaker 1: It is humbling. It's a great word.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, So so you come here, you get into this depth psychology. I'm so curious what a session looks like when someone comes in. It's not like a life coach. So someone comes in to see you, and what are they seeking? What are you helping? Because I love like the inner child, the trauma, all of that. So when I read the definition, I was like, I've got to dive. I've got to dive into this with her because yeah, now I'm like I need a session, but I don't even know, Like what.
Speaker 1: Do I I think I need something, but what do I need?
Speaker 3: For sure? I'll need something?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what I like to say, you know I mentioned is like it's the psychology of the soul. Right, So oftentimes when people come in What I find happens pretty regularly is somebody will come in and they'll say, I'm unhappy at work. I'm I'm feeling like I'm in this transition of my life, you know, I'm I feel just like unmotivated and I don't really know what's wrong. And then within like maybe three sessions, we're deeply into my twenty year marriage is completely unfulfilling, and that's actually why I'm here. But I didn't even know that that's was why I was here until we were talking for like multiple sessions. That happens all the time, or like, oh, I just feel this like general sense of malaise, and then like come to find out, you know, there's a lot of trauma, there's a lot of abuse in the relationships. Like whatever that is, it's usually some kind of almost like a flag, right, And so the psyche starts telling you in ways that most of us don't know how to listen to it that it is ready to change, that it is ready to face something, that it's ready to unpack something that you kind of had stored away for a long time. And oftentimes it will show up again as like some anxiety, some discomfort and You'll come into a session and we start pulling threads and we're like, oh, there it is. So a lot of it still looks like what most of us would consider like air quote traditional you know thing therapy. But I like to talk about the fact that there's a difference between ego work and soul work. So ego work, I would say, is kind of the base that most therapy is kind of established on in this country, which is most of us know about like CBT for example, that's the one that everybody knows about, right, and what is that? It's behavioral techniques, behavioral changes and tweaks to help you, you know, live your best life if you will. And so it might be thought stopping techniques, it might be breathing, it might be right great, important, foundational However, I would say that that kind of stops at ego. Now we need to do the ego work. We have to have a strong foundation of self in order to go deeper and do some more soul based, more spiritually based work. If we don't have a foundation of functioning, it's almost impossible to go beneath. Right. So if I have a client that comes in and they're like, I'm having panic attacks three times a week. I can barely get out of bed. Well, we have to address that first before I can start unraveling and going into like what is your soul longing for? Right? So it's important, but it's just that a lot of therapy stops there. A lot of therapy. Western psychology in particular, has really been established to say, how can I get you back up and functioning in the systems that, by the way, are the reason why you're not functioning to begin with? So how do I just get you right back out there to be a good little soldier right for capitalism, a good little soldier for Major Herkeey, a good little soldier. But it doesn't really go deeper than that. And so this is where I think the depth component comes in, because it's like, okay, cool, you can be functioning, but what else?
Speaker 2: So it's like exploring the unconscious of getting in there deeper.
Speaker 1: You got it? You got it? What is the unconscious actually attempting to say through symptom which again is a very different way of looking at symptoms. Usually Western psychology looks at symptoms as things that need to be fixed, right, solved. Take a pill, put a band aid on, it whatever that is. Dep psychology would actually say what is the symptom? Trying to say the symptom is actually here to communicate something, So rather than trying to squash it, we have to engage with it.
Speaker 3: I'm blown away.
Speaker 2: If you went to traditional therapy, let's just call it that, it's going so much deeper to try to like change the patterns and the subconscious. Do we even know half the time what it is?
Speaker 1: No? I think most of the time we don't. And again this is not to like poop poo traditional psychology, because it can be wildly effective and very helpful. Right. I just find that a lot of people come to me after they've already done therapy and they're like something is missing, like what else? Right? And then oftentimes where the conversations lead to once I kind of step in, is really this deeper misalignment that we're having again culturally, right, sociologically, because you can't separate the individual from the culture, and it starts to be more of an unpacking of like ancestral trauma for example, cultural trauma, social trauma, right, and these things that we it's not about again just slapping a band aid and side can get it. Back out there. It's about understanding that you live within a structure that's meant to keep you sick.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, I'm sure I speak for a lot of women here. Do you know how many therapists I've started with and then like, after like six or you know, six or eight sessions, I'm like, I don't want someone to just some people need this, yeh, at different stages. But I don't want someone to just say, I understand, I hear you. This must be really hard, yes, what a terrible thing that you had to experience or whatever. I'm like, give me the knowledge I wantreat I want to solve, and I want someone to hold me accountable and problem solve. And I feel like a lot of at least the therapy that I've done, has been a lot of just understanding hearing me, which again maybe is important, but for me, I'm like, I want to get to the root of it because I don't want to keep repeating these same patterns.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're actually touching on something, which is again it's not that that's not important, right, but it's like what else, And what I would argue is we are human beings are inherently meaning making creatures. So again, this is even this idea of the symptom as a story. It's it's there to tell us something. Right if I just say, that's really hard, I see your symptom, or here, let me give you some thought stopping techniques to stop the symptom. Right, your psyche that deeper layer, right, psyche means soul. Your psyche is not actually feeling heard in some essence, it's actually feeling dismissed because it's not you're not really listening to me by just saying, oh, I hear you, that sounds really hard. The psyche is saying no, help me understand, Help me make meaning of this, Help me make this bigger than just my individual suffering, because it is it always is. And so if a lot of therapists, again, I don't blame them, because I think this is actually a problem with a lot of the therapeutic kind of training and schooling that we get in the West. It stops there. You know, we're taught to be blank slates. We're taught not to give personal anecdotes. We're taught not to be too close with our clients. You know, we're taught to just be empathic and not give like tips or advice or whatever. And I understand kind of why that is, but I do think it's it leads to like a loss of humanity because if you're sitting in the room with your friend, you're not going to just be like, I'm really sorry, that sounds hard, and you're going to leave it at that. Right now, you might say, hey, do you want my advice? Do you want me to give you some feedback? Right, you might not, just let's not push it on them, But if they say yes, that's why I'm here, then like, okay, then that's why you're here. Let's have a real human to human conversation.
Speaker 3: This is a conversation probably that we could have a whole different conversation. For people that grew up with religion, soul is tied to religion and so that is the identity of it. But for those that didn't grow up in a religious background, or maybe have moved away from a religious background, soul can be a totally different path or maybe a different definition. Is that true than like what you have aligned it with with a religion.
Speaker 1: Sure well it has like connotation, right, it's got like the meaning is kind of connected in a different way. So Jung actually would say, I remember Jung was alive in the thirties and the forties, right, And Jung actually people don't A lot of people don't know this, but his father was actually a Baptist minister, and so he was brought up very Christian. However, he was also highly spiritual and was very well researched and kind of well involved in a lot of other spiritual communities all over the world. But Jung actually used to say that human beings are naturally we have a religious function of our psyche. Now here's where I would say, if Young were alive today, with our language today, I think he would call that a spiritual function of the psyche. I think that's just based on when he was around, and what he meant by that was, as beings, we are driven to make larger meaning, like I said, and to also be connected to and in relationship with something larger than ourselves. Right. This is why humans question things like why am I here? What's the purpose of all this? Right, it's because we have a function in our psyche that's actually devoted to spirit, spirituality larger you know, whatever that is, and we're in question all the time. So I think it's really that I think that the dogma and some of the the external structure that's put on those words by let's say religion, unfortunately take some of the real deep meaning out of it. Where when you hear somebody say soul or spirit right, it's more about like I remember, there's a twelve step saying. Actually, a friend of mine once said, a friend of hers struggled in twelve step because of the spiritual component, right, And the person who was leading the twelve step group said, totally cool. You can believe whatever you want right. However, what I want you to do tomorrow is I want you to go out into the ocean and I want you to stop the waves. That's what I want you to do. And then I want you to come back tomorrow and tell me that there's nothing greater than you out there. That's what I mean when I say spirituality, soul right. It doesn't have to be this idea that we've already got constructed. It can just mean I know that there is something energetically bigger than me, and I'm connected.
Speaker 3: So how many people? Then, I'm assuming you work with all sorts of ages, male and female. Do you see more of a population in midlife or is it kind of equal around the board.
Speaker 1: It is more midlife for sure. I think there's a point in our lives where we actually do start questioning these things, and we start waking up a little bit to kind of the spell of like the blueprints that we're all given, like this is what a good life looks like. Get the job, get the man, get the marriage, get the kid, get the car, get the dogs, you know, And there's this point where a lot of us wake up and look around and go, h, this ain't doing it right. It's not enough, Like I'm not fulfilled. I was promised fulfillment. I'm not. But I do also get a lot of people around that like quarter life crisis too, that are asking questions a lot younger, And I do think generationally people are asking these questions younger.
Speaker 3: Do you think that, like when someone starts questioning this, are there usually I've just seen this in my own This I could be a one off. I don't know, but do you think that there were signs? And there were like your body has been trying to tell you something for a long time, but you just it's easy to suppress and go on autopilot. And keep like, we're all busy, we're raising kids, we're trying to advance our careers. You know, it's easy to just be like they're there, I'll deal with this later.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, exactly. And that's why a lot of us it does take something big to actually wake us up. So oftentimes I will use this analogy we're all say. Frequently people come in there's the I call it the feather, the brick or the truck. So psyche soul, whatever word you want to use, is like tickling a feather for a long time, like hello, hellou, something's wrong, something doesn't fit whatever that is right, this relationship's not right for you, this job, whatever, and we just kind of, like you said, rush it off, whatever, keep being busy. Usually then psyche throws a brick. And even at the brick stage, most people don't listen, right, it's usually the mac truck where we can't not listen. So, you know, an injury, a death, losing of a job, a complete life transformation, having a kid, right, an ego death, something like that where you're like incapable of not paying attention anymore. And I would say a lot of times that's that point too, where people come to therapy. I'm like, oh, this makes sense.
Speaker 2: I know I've had this subconscious thought of you know, something's not right or whether they know what it is or not. Look, what advice would you give to kind of speed up so they don't have to waste time to get to that Matt truck.
Speaker 1: Or don't get hit by a Mack truck don't get.
Speaker 3: Hit which is probably better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess the way that I would answer that is, you know, I say that everybody gets tickled with the feathers. I mean, this is, you know, a one off situation. We're all born with the ability to pay attention and to be still and to into it what's happening in our lives and what works and doesn't work, and what's fulfilling and not fulfilling. It's just that we live in a society that kind of squashes that, because those of us who are connected to self and connected to intuition are actually pretty dangerous to systems who kind of function on the backs of those of us who look outside of ourselves for validation. Right, So for those of us who buy the next fanciest car because we think it makes us look a certain way, you know that capitalistic drive to keep us looking outside of ourselves would be really hard to push on people who were connected to themselves, right, who knew that that actually didn't matter when it came to like a sense of worthiness or a sense of loveability and all these things. So I guess to go back to your question, I would suggest getting into a practice of conversation with that part of yourself, of conversation with the turned down voice. It's been turned down, it's not gone. And sometimes that looks like you know, people might say, like journaling, people might say, it's contemplative, contemplative. There we go contemplative practice, which is stillness, which is quiet, which is taking a beat right now. I know you have a two year old, I have an almost six year old. Finding that time is really difficult. But if we don't make that time a priority. And I'm not saying it's got to be hours a day, but if we don't make time to be with ourselves in stillness and in quiet, the mac truck's kind of inevitable.
Speaker 2: What are some other symptoms of how it shows up in our body? Can it be physical like my shoulders, my lower back or whatever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, for sure, there's there's a lot of conversations currently right now. Gabar Mate has been talking a lot about how women make up a disproportionate amount out of autoimmune disease holders, right, And what he's talking about is actually how women in our society are what we would call like the shock absorbers. So we're the ones that process everything for everybody. We're the ones that make sure everybody's okay. We're the ones that are making sure things are still running and moving and functioning. We're the ones that are hearing the news and then being like, how do we have a conversation about this. We're the ones that are walking into a room, feeling the vibe and then deciding how we're going to approach the person to have a conversation. That feels hard, Right, What does that do to the body after long, a long period of time. Well, it doesn't, it doesn't. It doesn't feel surprising to me to his point that women make up the larger percentage of people who have autoimmune disorders. You know, your body is literally attacking itself from the inside. So it can be something as extreme as that, or it can be Yeah, to your point, I mean it could be I have this like pain in my neck and it won't go away right or for me very physically. It showed up around thirty eight, kind of out of nowhere. I started having really bad heart palpitations and I thought it was dying. I mean, I went did all the things, all the cardiologists appointments, all the things, and I'm healthy and I work out and I take care of myself, and was very dismissed by the cardiologists who just said, I think you just need more sleep. And I was like, bitch, I that is not what I came here for, right, I want my money back, Like, yes, shocker, I have a three year old at the time. I need more sleep, you know. And so I actually went on a bit of a rabbit hole around HRT and around very about a pause and how our palpitations are one of the biggest symptoms that go on diagnosed right, got myself on HRT started to minimize the heart palpitations. I was like, oh, there it is check like I solved it myself. Right about six months or eight months, they really minimized, and then they started ratcheting back up again. Hadn't changed anything. Cut two, we lost everything in the fire last year in laugh and so I'm so sorry, thank you. So six months of chaos, figuring out what the hell our life is going to look like all the things. We actually decided in June, so about six months after the fire to pack up and move to Costa Rica indefinitely until we just figure out what the hell's going on. I was here for about a month and I had a revelation where I looked around and I was like, holy shit, I don't think I've had a heart palpitation since I've been here. And so one could argue the stress and the pace of my life in Los Angeles could have very well been trying to tell me something somatically. Now I'm not saying maybe perimenopause also isn't a part of it, but it wasn't just that, right, And so y'all, I literally have I've taken myself off the hart to see what happens. I have like one every couple days now, I was having multiple a day. Oh that could be an example of it.
Speaker 3: What's the Costa Rica? I just I'm going there next week and I was just there in November for the first time. You came during rainy season, girl, Yeah, what what's like the theme like the there's like a theme there, or like pureveta puavita. Yeah, your life, you're like manifesto, you're living that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And it's it's slower and it's more community oriented, and you know, you just do less here. There's just not this constant drive and pace that I think most of us are used to in the States or in the West.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean the States. It really is. I call it the land of abundance because there's just everything is available and then it that you this badge is like how hard can you work? Oh, you didn't sleep for a week?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 3: All of these things that it's just like more and more and more and more and more and more and more until it's not.
Speaker 1: Until it's not, until it's not.
Speaker 2: You work with archetypes as well, correct, I do. So for anyone who's not familiar with that, can you explain what an archetype is?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So an archetype, you know, again another kind of asset or facet of Yung's work. Archetypes are really kind of innate patterns, images, ways of being that are shared collectively and what Young called the collective unconscious. So I'll give you an example. In grad school, actually I did a project around the archetype of the virgin mother and child. And what happens when you actually do research around this image is that the image that we all know in the West of Mary with Jesus sitting on her lap is an exact image. I mean even down to like body posture format, et cetera. That goes back as far actually as we have the ability to track images statues, cave drawings, et cetera. It is an image that shows up. The archetypal image of mother and child is a shared image across every human psyche on the planet, right, and it literally shows up in the same way. So that would be an example, right, Or there could be an archetype could also be like a I don't want to say persona necessarily because we're kind of confusing too, but maybe like a role. So there's like the archetype of the trickster. Let's use that one. So we all probably know of somebody who falls into the archetype of the trickster, right. They're the one that's constantly, you know, making light of things, poking fun of things. They're a little silly, but they're also a little mischievous. Right. We all can embody that archetype at some point in our lives. Right. It's an archetype that again is kind of shared amongst human beings. The mother, the mother archetype, right, the maiden archetype, the crone archetype. These are archetypes that really again and it's an image or or kind of an embodiment that everybody across the world can tap into.
Speaker 2: For our listeners, I mean, there's probably the caregiver HM is probably a huge one. But how does archetype play into your therapy or healing or do we get stuck into because really is it? It's kind of how you show up? Right, You could almost explain an archetype is this is how I show up like the hero, the caregiver, the lover, the I mean, you know people that are a victim, Like, no matter what happens, they're a victim. Yeah, So is your work also help like break that pattern of your archetype if you will, like how it is that you show up?
Speaker 1: Sure? Or it can also be again like what is this archetype attempting to tell us teach us through the embodiment that you're giving it? Right? So if you're embodying the victim or the martyr archetype. Let's talk about what that purpose is, like, what need is it attempting to meet? Because it's showing up for a reason, right, And so oftentimes when we can dialogue with the archetype or we can kind of personify or understand why it's coming through us, it helps us loosen the kind of air quote negative behaviors that go along with it. Because there's going to be a golden and a shadow to every archetype, to every pattern, and so if we can look at both of those, we can also say what is the golden side of Like let's say the victim, Well, I would say the victim archetype is really strong and those that are desiring to be seen and be held and be rescued. Right, Okay, well, let's talk about that in relationship to your life. Where can you attempt to come in and be your own rescuer or be your own savior? Right? Do we need to talk about the relationship in your life and how they're not fulfilling and you don't feel seen or heard? Why is that? Right? So they become a gateway in a lot of and a lot of therapeutic tools. I find it's a gateway to a deeper conversation or understanding.
Speaker 3: How many people do you think would I know this could vary greatly, but for someone that's like, oh, I would love to get some help from a therapist this kind of therapy. Are you long term? Like you've got to commit to six months to a year? Is it? I mean, I'm guessing you can't just do a few sessions.
Speaker 1: I think it depends on the person. I think it depends on what they're working with. I think it depends on maybe what their experiences with self, like this idea of like being introspective, right. I think it takes it probably tends to take a little bit more time if somebody is coming completely green and has never really done any introspective work before. But I've worked with people, yeah, in more of almost like a coaching capacity. We're four to six weeks and they've really had some big aha and some shifts, and then we'll touch base a couple times a year. And then I've had people that I've been working with for years regularly, right, because they're kind of on this journey of like continued evolution, if you will, and are just really fascinated by and love and love the work. Right. And then a lot of times what happens too is you'll come during like one phase of your life or you're kind of embodying an archetype, right, we together kind of move through usher you over this threshold. You go back out into the world until the next time you're standing on another threshold or you're embodying another kind of tricky archetype and you come back. And so that happens a lot as well.
Speaker 3: What does your practice look like? Do you have like a journaling, meditation, you know, daily daily habits, daily practice that you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's changed a lot. I think since coming to Costa Rica, I think what I used to do. Then I'll tell you before I had a kid. And I actually think I wrote about this in the book. I think, how the West it's kind of actually what you were saying about, how we've got this constant drive, right, the West really commodifies wellness in some way, right, Like buy this fancy journal, buy this you know, expensive meditation app, buy this fancy elixir, right, and then you'll be kind of healed or better or good enough. And so I was an avid meditator you know, I do a lot of yoga, a lot of introspection, journaling, I would go on retreats, all these things. When I had my daughter, I felt so much guilt and shame. I would say around how all of the practices I used to have that were so important to me, I could not make my way back to incorporating them on a daily basis. And I really struggled with that. And I would say I struggled with that for probably a year, and then it dawned on me through some more reading and some more work, and again kind of the work that went into writing this book that once you become a mother, a lot of at least in early motherhood, a lot of the contemplative time that you had prior or that work that I would consider meditative is actually done mothering. So, for example, like my seated meditation of twenty minutes every single day went out the frickin window, because when you're a mom of a young kid, your mornings don't belong to you anymore, right, And so what I found was that my meditation was done in the process of bathing and dressing my daughter. My meditation was done in the process of breastfeeding my meditation was done in the process of washing her clothes or doing the dishes or tidying up, and I started realizing, I'm missing it. There's actually moments and opportunities everywhere to be doing this practice embodied. It just looks different right now. But it doesn't mean that it's better or worse. It just looks different. And that was a huge revelation for me. And so I guess, you know, go back and answer your question. It looks different now, I think for me, now you know, she's a little bit older, she's going to be six, I've got a little bit more space. Still don't have my morning's back, But now it might look like surfing. You know, a lot of times for me, it's it's active work. It's still my yoga, it's still my pilates, it's getting in the water, it's floating in the ocean for twenty minutes. I mean, these these are the times and I get to be with myself.
Speaker 2: How did it feel losing everything?
Speaker 1: Not good? To make it like as simple as possible, not great, it was.
Speaker 2: That's a profound experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's been a very it's been a very interesting year, you know, because I could I could talk about how hard it was to lose your things, your home. You know, my grandmother's rings, her skilled silk scarf collection she gave me before she died, you know, my year books, like all of the things that you absolutely can never replace. And so there's a grief that goes along with that. And unlike people who might lose and this not to maybe do some comparative suffering, but unlike somebody who might say, like have an electrical fire in their home and they lose their home, what happens when you have a wildfire is we lost our entire community. Our whole town is gone. So we were on the east side right in Altadena, and there were there ten thousand structures burnt. There's nothing left. So it wasn't just the physical personal items. I mean, it was our community. It was our neighbors, it was our restaurants, it was our schools, it was our everything, right, and so it's it's been a I think a practice of finding home again. What does home look like if you don't have a physical home, you know, finding home within, finding home within your family, keeping your friends as close as you can. Once you've actually physically had to disband not taking it for granted that you used to be able to see your people often and now you can't, so you have to change and do more work to maintain those those structures. Yeah, it's been really destabilizing. I think it's coming probably the best word. And I'll tell you one of my my therapists actually said to me talk about the shock absorber thing I was talking about with Gobormante. It was probably like eight months after the fire when I first started really going into it in therapy. Up until then, I was in like mom mode or like I we got to get a house, we got to figure it out. I was taking care of my friends. Are you good? Insurance? Like all of this stuff right very compartmentalized because I didn't have time to feel that much really, and you're you know, and I'm somebody who obviously has a lot of practice around this, but I was very aware that there's a time and a place, and right now is actually not the time. And so once I felt like I had landed a little bit and I could breathe and I was in my own therapy again, we started kind of pulling the threads a bit, and you know, she was very quick to say, you what was the word she used the other day, Actually, this concept of being a metabolizer. She's like, you were the metabolizer for everybody. You were taking everything that everybody else was experiencing, and you were metabolizing it into bite size, understandable, tolerable experiences. And unfortunately, what happens when you're constantly metabolizing, so at some point you tap out right like you're not getting filed. And I think that was kind of the wall that I had hit about eight months post where I was like, Okay, it's time to take a beat, you know.
Speaker 2: And to fill it and probably grieve it for yourself.
Speaker 1: And that's what it's been. You know, it's been waves, and it's just the practice of letting it, letting it come up, even when it feels weird and inconvenient, and why is that happening right now? And I mean, you both know with the work that you do. But for me, actually, a lot of my grief has been in like movement, so not necessarily like let's say lifting weights, but if I'm doing like an ecstatic dance practice where it's actually unorganized movement, so I'm kind of crossing that right and left hemisphere and I'm tapping a little bit more into the unconscious realm in my movement. That's when I find the tears come. So I've been trying to make sure that I'm incorporating some movement or like surfing, incorporating some movement that doesn't have a specific structure to it, because I find that that's what's doing some of the releasing.
Speaker 3: And coastorika it sounds like that is a healing that's been part of the healing journey as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's been a forced slowdown, you know, whether I like it or not, it's been a force slowdown.
Speaker 3: Do you think you'll be there for a long time?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think we just recently decided that. I mean, our alternative is to go back to la right now and you know, rent a house while we rebuild. That is probably four times jacked up in rent than what it would be because everybody jacked up the rent after the fire because you know, lovely, And I was like, why why would we do that? Why wouldn't we just stay here and we can do the rebuilding from here. We love the schools, we love the community, and so yeah, we've just decided we don't know what the timing is, but it feels good right now, and so that's all we know. That's all we can lean into.
Speaker 3: If we look at your books. So you have two books, I do. Both of the titles are pretty intriguing, the motherhood myth, so that's one category. And then I love this and I have to say it multiple times because we always say it backwards. But it's not me, it's you. I was like, dang, okay, break the blame cycle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the book that I actually I co authored with my now husband wasn't husband at the time. And that was an interesting experience because as you're writing and you're really in it and again you're things are coming up and you're kind of processing and working through things. We had this like shared Google doc where we both be writing our parts and so to have to read the other person's perspective on the thing. There was a lot of moments where we would have to be like, I think we're gonna have to have another conversation about this. Yeah, I thought this was a different I thought we had kind of squashed this. Apparently we hadn't you know or whatever.
Speaker 3: This point were so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that one is really just like, we're both both therapists, relational therapists. We do a lot of couples work as well. And I think it was just our way of saying, hey, you guys, you're not broken. We're the same as you, even though we're therapists, doesn't matter. You know, these top let's say ten issues that you guys all struggle with, we do too, and so here's what that looks like. Here's some ways that we work with it. Here's some tools. And we've gotten a lot of feedback where people are like, Oh, I'm so glad it's not just it's not just me. You know, this is attachment differences and you know, sex drive differences and just all of these things that we hear so frequently as couple therapists. It's like, yeah, we get it, and here's some ways to look at it.
Speaker 3: If someone's listening to this, and what book would you recommend? You have two books. If someone's not going to go to therapy right now and they're they're just tapped out, they don't have the resources or the time, or maybe they're just not ready to deal with that, what do your books promote and what would be appropriate for different women?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's not me, it's you. It's definitely a book where I've had people who have read it who are not actually currently partnered, and they've seen themselves a lot, and you know, in their history and their past relationships that relationship. I think is really important to look at your patterns relationally and start to see how do you show up because often very common we tend to be drawn to the opposite of us, right, So let's just use attachment. It's like, if I'm a little bit more avoidantly attached, I'm going to be drawn to the more anxiously attached, right, and vice versa. And so what that helps you do is because John and I my husband, usually embody the opposites. You get to read these two perspectives and say, oh that's me, Oh that's my partner. Right, You see yourself in it, and then you can start to understand it, be empathetic, break it down, where is that coming from? And then there's actual tools in there.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's a real like relationship based book. The Motherhood Myth for sure is a bit of a departure because this is where I let like my depth kind of nerd go wild. This book was really coming on the heels of my kind of ego explosion, coming in a motherhood where I looked around and I was like, this is bullshit, Like anybody else think this is bull Like why is this so hard? This is not what I was promised it would be, And no one's talking about this, you know. And so it's a bit of it. There's a little bit of like an anthropological background in there. I do a lot of like how did we get here? Deep diving helping us understand like why are we pair alone in a house with one, maybe two adults when we were supposed to be parenting in a village of twenty adults that were capable of helping with our children, Right, how did we get here? And it also helps us really understand I think, in particular in the West, a lot of the relational struggles that couples have once a child enters the picture. So the book is broken up into three sections. It's motherhood, sex, and relationships. So but it's through the lens of parenting, right. But also, I wouldn't say it's just from others. I've had a lot of men actually come to me and say, I'm really grateful I read your book. It's been really eye opening for me, not only to see my partner or like you know, my wife differently, but also to see my role in it and how I'm you know, needing to show up differently.
Speaker 3: So in closing, as we wrap this up and we look at some take home points for women, where do you start and what would you recommend to wrap up this conversation If there's clearly going to be questions, any advice that you would give to women that are that are maybe feeling like we we mentioned the first of the podcasts that something maybe is off or something's been feathering and you're you're you're coming around to it slowly, what advice would you give for those women?
Speaker 1: Pay attention you know again, do your best to involve some contemplative time again, even if that's you know, doing the dishes, like I don't care where it is, but be with yourself, right, carve out some very important time to be with yourself, to listen, to write, to journal, to just make sure that you are hearing yourself like is that me or is that out there right? And starting to get clear on whose voice it is. And then I would say, you know, I mentioned this in the beginning, and it was a practice that I did, but I've used with many clients as follow the breadcrumbs. So just start to pay attention to what brings you a sense of a liveness and lean into that. It doesn't have to make sense, right, So if this book, or if this topic, or if this workshop, or if this person suddenly or just invigorating something in you amazing, lean into that. Let yourself kind of indulge in whatever that energy is without having to kind of put logic or reasoning on it, and allow that to open that space in you, that a liveness space. And then that breadcrumb will inevitably always does lead to another breadcrumb, which leads to another bread crumb. And this is kind of what I find almost like the path that starts to unfold back to ourselves is through connecting to that feeling of a liveness. And you know, that might be oh my god, it's this book, like I should read this book, or it could be like oh wow, I should check this author out or whatever, but whatever it is, don't question it. Just kind of allow it to have space.
Speaker 2: Love that I do too, and it is can trolling our self talk an important part of the internal work to the negative self talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would say be mindful even of using the word controlling it. Wow, because when you just said controlling our negative self talk, I had this image of like what we might say to a child, like cut it out right, don't talk like that. And you know what we were talking about about, this idea of like what is the symptom or quote symptom trying to say, I think there's actually an invitation in our self talk to pay attention rather than try to like squash it or push it away.
Speaker 3: I feel like we just barely got into.
Speaker 1: To be continued.
Speaker 3: We can do this again, don't recontinued. So, Vanessa, where can women find you to learn more about your therapy as well as as your books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything's on my website Vanessa Bennett dot com. I'm mostly on Instagram, although I think like most people, I've got a love hate relationship with social these days. So Instagram Vanessa S. Bennett. And then yeah, on my website you'll see all the things. So the book is there. You know, I have a community. I have a coaching academy actually where I train in depth and spiritual psychology and all that jazz it's all there, and.
Speaker 2: You take clients.
Speaker 1: Still, I don't take that many. I do have a few in my practice. I find now it's more groups actually I run in my private community. I run weekly groups around this exact topic and codependency recovery and a bunch of other things. So I'm more focused in the group realm right now. But I do take some clients, and I actually have a group of depth oriented coaches as well as therapists that I've trained who work underneath me and I kind of oversee, and so I always tell people to reach out and kind of put an application in for coaching, as I can always pair you up with somebody who I know is going to be amazing and helpful.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for your expertise and for opening my eyes for sure to this incredible conversation that I didn't even really know existed, maybe in different terminology, but such a deeper understanding. I'm really curious to keep learning more about it. So thank you so much Vanessa for your time today.
Speaker 1: Thank you, ladies, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening everyone.
Speaker 2: If you enjoyed this episode, please consider giving us a five star rating and sharing the body Pod with your friends,