Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Thank you everybody took part in It's a KFI wonderful life.
Speaker 3: We will be replsh guys, that was so amazing. You need to do this more often. Good play, good play, good monologue. Hey, Gary and Shannon, Jack and Wills Texas. This is some seriously riveting radio. I can't put my phone down listening to it. Keep it up, have a good day.
Speaker 1: All I want to say is you guys are freaking awesome.
Speaker 4: Okay, great show.
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 4: What else is going on? Time for What's Happening?
Speaker 6: What's Happening is sponsored by Abner GA Water Damage, Fire Damage Burglary called public Adjuster Abner Gat eight one eight nine one seven five two five.
Speaker 2: Peals Court down in Georgia has disqualified the Atlanta prosecutor who brought an election interference case against President elect Trump. This was kind of a surprise move, but it throws the entire case now into disarray.
Speaker 4: Two to one decision.
Speaker 2: Three judge panel reversed the trial judge, who a few months ago had allowed Fani Willis, the DA in Fulton County to keep the case despite revelations about oh, you know, she was banging around with the guy who she hired to manage the prosecution. All three of the appeals judges happened to be Republican appointees, and it is likely to be appealed to the full Court of Appeals. If it stands, it would probably mean that entire case is going to fall apart. The EPA has granted a couple of requests from the state of California to enforce strict standards for vehicle emissions, including a rule aimed at banning sales of new gas powered cars in the state by twenty thirty five. The administration that is in coming, though, is likely to.
Speaker 4: Reverse the ban.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this first yesterday, but there's some more details about California Governor Newsom declaring a state of emergency to try to streamline and expedite the state's response to the bird flu. This declaration is a result of more cases being detected in southern California dairy cows. There no confirmed person to person spread of bird flu. Almost all the cases in California involved somebody who had been who had come in contact with infected cattle. The suspect in the killing of United Healthcare CEO is back in New York today. He's going to be facing federal charges of murder and stalking. Escalates this case after his earlier indictment on the state charges. He's going to go back to New York or he is back in New York and at a federal court. As a matter of fact, after his Pennsylvania court appearance today, was immediately turned over to at least a dozen New York Police officers who were in the courtroom.
Speaker 4: They led him to a plane.
Speaker 2: Plane took him to Long Island, then taken away by helicopter over to Manhattan. The FBI is looking into the death of a cruise ship passenger on board a cruise ship that had set sale from Sokal. This passenger died, they said, Friday, after an incident on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship that had departed Friday from San Pedro down to Ensnata. And the video that people took on the cruise ship, you can see this guy without a shirt on, yelling at a hallway, kicking a door. It's hard to tell if he was actually trying to kick it down or just make noise. The video also appeared to show a confrontation with some security personnel in the hallway. The Medical Examiner's office set a cause of death in the case has been deferred. The final medical report is expected about six to eight weeks because they have to do toxicology. How about some good this is good holiday news. Do you remember when COVID hit, We thought the world was ending. And one of the things that we was sort of concurrent with COVID was the murder hornets that had moved in to North America. Mark Davidson, Deputy administrator at the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspectius Service, says, we are proud of this landmark victory in the fight against invasive species. That they have not caught any murder hornets in Washington State in the last few months, so they believe that they have eradicated murder hornets from the continental United States. We have something we can be happy about going into the holiday season. Our small business shout out coming up when we could all use it. How about Elite Fitness from downtown sant Ana. We'll talk with them when we come back to Gary and Shannon, Deborah Mark.
Speaker 4: Did a great job at zu Zoo. Thank you. What's going on?
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 2: Shannon bugged out a little Loris. She's headed over to SOFI. Of course, the Broncos are at SOFI tonight to take on the Chargers Thursday night. Football winner is going to have a leg up on second place in the AFC WES, So it's a pretty important, almost playoff kind of game.
Speaker 4: Tonight.
Speaker 2: College bowl game if you're interested in the R and L. Carrier's New Orleans Bowl is tonight between the Georgia Southern Eagles and the Sam Houston Bearcats there in New Orleans. The stocks and bonds sold off yesterday. The Fed ended its policy meeting with a new set of economic projections, probably a slower pace of interest rate cuts next year than previously forecast. And we also saw a tenth straight day of the Dow Jones Industrial average in negative territory. As of right now, it's in positive territory, not as high as it was earlier in the day, but it's still up one hundred and eighty eight points right now at forty two thousand and five thirteen and then one of the other stories today is a twenty year old guy out of Carlsbad has been detained for allegedly planning a mass shooting at a government building in a parallel coordinated attack, apparently with the shooting at that Christian school in Madison, Wisconsin this week. This twenty year old Alex Paffendorf was exchanging messages with a fifteen year old shooter. Restraining order said that he admitted to the FBI that he told this girl that he was going to arm himself with explosives and a gun that would target a target a government building.
Speaker 7: Correct. This is good, so good.
Speaker 2: I can't tell if Shannon's part of the story or just interjecting actual lines from real life.
Speaker 8: Hey, I just wanted to say you guys did a phenomenal job on the Christmas Special today. It was really really well done. I really enjoyed it had some great funny parts. And then when Tim Conway Junior came in at the end, I mean like bringing in an.
Speaker 4: Actual movie star. Wow, that was.
Speaker 8: Awesome because he is a movie star. You know that. And anyway, great job, guys, Wow, I.
Speaker 4: Love your show. But whatever you're doing today after eleven o'clock is some of the worst radio I've ever heard it from my hire life. That's mean.
Speaker 2: Well, every Thursday, we'd like to jump into the small business shout out and we like to highlight some of those all businesses around southern California. Joining us today, Joaque Martinez is the owner of Elite Fitness Downtown right there in Santa Ana. Small group, personal training, fun, confidence, fitness, all that stuff kind of plays into this welcome in, thanks for coming in, Thank you for having me, Gaby Hey, this world of wellness, of working out, et cetera. How do you how do you make that into a career? How do you decide that's what you want to do. Yeah, it was almost by accident.
Speaker 9: So I it wasn't a career option when I was growing up in high school. I graduated in ninety seven, and it wasn't It wasn't around. We had Bali's and the Big Gym's twenty four hour fitness, but nothing like this. I got into it pretty late, so I was thirty years old and I became a trainer at Bally's Total Fitness of Santana.
Speaker 4: And I loved it immediately.
Speaker 9: I knew this that was the fitness space was something I wanted to be into and talk to other trainers around and kind of ask what are what are their aspirations and what kind of the goals for them? And they said they want to open gym. So I thought, you know, I could do that too. And it took me about four and a half years from when I first started as a trainer, so opening my first location and I only have one, but the goal.
Speaker 2: Is to have multipay. That's why it's a small business. Ches right things. While we're not talking to ballets today, we're talking to waken appreciate this. There have been changes when it comes to health and wellness. I think in the last I want to say, probably ten to twenty years, ten to fifteen years something like that, where as I got older and started becoming more conscious of well, what exercising meant, how you're supposed to control diet and things like that. One of the big things that people say is that you can't outrun a bad diet or you can't outwork a bad diet. How does that play into what you how you coach people. So we coach people to really build muscle. First of all, nutrition is part of it.
Speaker 9: You have to have the exercise and the nutrition also, but there's other factors to like sleep stress that I'll plays a huge factor in your overall fitness level.
Speaker 4: We tend not to put people on diets.
Speaker 9: We don't like to restrict people and put them on calorie deficits. Not off the bat, we kind of bring them in and say, hey, let's start your routine first. Let's make that a habit. Let's put that on autopilot. Your brain likes that. And then once they once they have some kind of like winds quick wins, like the energy level comes and they're they're seeing some definition, the genes fit easier, then we kind of say, all right, you ready to really dial it in. We can do some tracking and macro tracking, macro nutrients, calorie tracking, and then it's not so tedious, you know what I mean, it's not overwhelming for them at that point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that idea. Getting those first early wins.
Speaker 2: Got to get it because if you know, you don't work out for a long time, you get back into the gym or do whatever you run or however you're going to do it, you're gonna be sore for a couple of days. But after that third day, you start to feel different. You sleep better a lot of times, you feel more confident, even if your body hasn't visually changed a whole lot. You start to feel that for the inside out. And I think that's a that's a great philosophy. Do you do you do a lot of large groups or is it small groups? Is it individuals?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're a small gym, so about three thousand square feet, so it doesn't allow us to do big groups. I did one on one for the first I would say seven years that I was there, that I've been here, and then the last three years we transition to small group personal training. So anywhere from one person, we won't we won't cancel the session just because there's one person, but we will go to six. We won't go past six because then we could still keep an eye on people. Average is like three.
Speaker 4: And four right now.
Speaker 2: O C is probably right smack in the middle of people who love themselves a lot. I mean they're just I mean they're doing it because they want they want to look good for the beach or something.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Yeah, well, there's nothing, there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: I think that's great because it encourages people to get out there and do something. But what are some of the big falsehoods that people bring into the gym are the people, you know, beliefs that they may have thought when they grew up, this is the way we worked out because it was the best way to do it.
Speaker 4: Things like that. It's a great question, Gary, it's weight. It's the number on the scale.
Speaker 9: So they come in and they think that they that weight, the number on the scale should just go down, no matter what happens, it should just go down, and they focus just on the scale, the weight. So what we tell them, what we educate them on, is we don't want to just go on weight because it's such a variable.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: You got you got your blood, your water in there, you got bones, you got your tongue, you got nails. Everything's weight, right. But the things that we can't control that don't change your body fat and your muscle. So when people work out, especially for the first month, they're going to gain some muscle, right, and the body fat might come down a little bit. The scale's gonna show weight gain, right, And so if they just look at the weight, they think they failed. And that's about seven people and they stop or.
Speaker 4: They just stopped.
Speaker 9: They don't even go to another they just completely stop. See it's not working this time. I told you you know that kind of head trash. So when we tell them no, look you gain muscle. How do you feel you feel more energy? Yes, then then we can. Now we got them a quick win, and then we just build on that. Yes, it's the scale.
Speaker 2: You start the engine and then when you when you refine the fuel that goes into it, the engine runs even cleaner and it sort of probably takes care of itself a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can use that as you want. You can use that too.
Speaker 2: All right, We're just going to start the car. That's what you're doing. You start in the car. The gasoline may have been in there a while, and you're gonna you know, you'll fix it eventually. You just want to get this thing running.
Speaker 4: A little bit. I like that car analogy. Man're welcome. Also, that's to you for pretty cheap.
Speaker 2: And then you do You do have coaches, right, I mean that's kind of what you refer to yourself and other employees probably, Yes, coaches.
Speaker 9: We have three coaches, two full time in one part time, and we run an internship program. We stand on a college where we get people from their kinesiology department. Students great, and we'll bring them in and we'll do a three month internship with them. If we like them, we'll keep them on. If not, then hey, the world's got some better trainers out there.
Speaker 2: Christmas is coming up and a lot of people have fitness stuff on their on their lists. I assume you know, you can go anywhere from like a Peloton bike for a couple thousand, or a rowing machine or the treadmills, stuff like that, but there's also simple things like barbells or catibils. If you had to get one thing for someone to start this this fitness program, what would you get them.
Speaker 4: I would get them a personal trainer. That's a great answer. Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think a piece of equipment is great in all but if they don't know how to use it, it's gonna it's gonna become a hangar for clothes. But if they get education, instruction, guidance, that's something that will last in my lifetime.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the things I think people is go to a go to a gym, go to Elite Fitness downtown, find what exercises work for you. Or which ones you enjoy doing and then get.
Speaker 4: A piece of equipment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys have an event coming up on Saturday, Yes, hike and brew at Peters Canyon.
Speaker 4: Would tell us about that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So we link up with the Assistance League of San Aana. It's a nonprofit organization and that's our charity where we donate to them a lot. So Saturday, we're having a hike for not just members, but everybody out there on our list, anybody listening. We will HiPE Peters Canyons about a three and a three point two mile track and then we head back to Elite And.
Speaker 4: One of our clients is a home brewer.
Speaker 9: He's an award winning home brewer and he donated a bunch of beer to the event. I think he's We got an ale and a a red.
Speaker 2: So post hike beer, it tastes better after that, it really does. And then you guys are also giving away a free complimentary week of training at Elite Fitness Downtown. Anybody who emails get Fit at Elite Fitness Downtown dot com. You're gonna get a free e cookbook with twelve high high protein recipes in it to help kick that kick that thing off.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I know you're gonna have a busy January.
Speaker 2: You want callers for that, Oh, for the for the free week, for the free complimentary week. Okay, caller number six at eight hundred and five to zero one five three four eight hundre at five to oh one KFI, You're gonna get one free complimentary week of training an Elite Fitness Downtown there in Santa Anna. January busiest month for you guys.
Speaker 9: It kind of tends to be now. Yeah, yeah, it's getting there again.
Speaker 4: It comes up. Before, it was weird.
Speaker 9: Before it was like March for some reason, and now it's January.
Speaker 2: Well, here's I think the explanation is. In January, people say I'll do it myself, yes, and then a few weeks go by and they go, I can't do this myself.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Joaquen Martinez, owner of Elite Fitness Downtown in Santa Anna. You can find them online, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube at Elite Fitness Downtown.
Speaker 4: Thank you for coming in, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Did you work out yet? Are you gonna work out later? I worked out already this okay, good, good for you. Let's get it done early.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do it together.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, sir, I got other plans. Thanks though for coming and appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you, Thank you for having me. Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI. AM.
Speaker 2: Welcome to this Thursday, December nineteenth. A couple stories that were following. We know that Luigi Mangioni ended up back in New York. He was extradited from Pennsylvania to New York today to face federal charges of murder and stalking in the death of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson. The case is Mangioni was in court in Pennsylvania this morning, waived his extradition. Judge Roberts damped it and within just minutes he was taken out of that courtroom by a bunch of New York Police Department officers. They led him to a plane that went to Long Island, taken to a by helicopter. He looked about the same. He's been clean shaven because he's been spending a couple of days in jail. They did not ask for bail, at least not right now. That could change. A government shutdown is at risk and House Speaker Mike Johnson's trying to figure out how to meet President elect Trump's dem and to try to keep his own job. Trump did say that he expects Johnson would easily remain Speaker for the next Congress if if he acts decisively and tough in coming up with a new plan to also increase the debt limit, which that was not part of the original deal that they thought they had yesterday, apparently CNN is reporting the Republican lawmakers they do have a government funding agreement that has been reached, but have offered no details. And again, this is to try it to try to avoid a government shut down late Friday night into Saturday morning when the current continuing resolution would expire. Sounds like all they're going to do is come up with yet another continuing resolution to kick this thing down the road about three months. As we have seen over and over and over again THEFI It's a Wonderful Life that played at eleven o'clock. We're going to play that back again next week at Christmas, So if you haven't heard it, you can actually catch it on the podcast, but we will play it again next week.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was the best.
Speaker 7: He nailed it.
Speaker 6: I love that movie.
Speaker 7: And you made it relevant to our lives of listeners on the CAFI Radio show, just holding back some tears.
Speaker 3: You guys are so cute.
Speaker 7: Merry Christmas, very funny.
Speaker 4: I loved it well. Charlie Brown's Christmas.
Speaker 11: Next, Oh my God, Gary and Shannon, my husband Bill and I Sparks Nevada.
Speaker 1: Just listen to it.
Speaker 11: It's a wonderful life and it was better than last year.
Speaker 4: It was awesome, absolutely awesome.
Speaker 6: Thank you for the good laughs.
Speaker 11: Keep it the God work, Take care of Merry Christmas, Happy.
Speaker 4: New Yearnon Merry Christmas from Ach and South Carolina. Love you guys.
Speaker 2: Used to see you guys every day out there in KFI when I was in California.
Speaker 4: Mission News and Bruise. Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, you too. Great job on the podcast. Thank you.
Speaker 2: There was a story that I wanted to revisit because it's been floating around and I've been seeing a lot of people talking about it on social media. It's this Wall Street Journal article today that says how the White House functioned with a diminished Biden in charge. Wall Street Journal, you could argue leans a little bit more conservative than other media outlets, but it basically said that since Joe Biden was running for president, it actually refers to some campaign issues. But since he was running for president in twenty twenty, aids and advisors have known he's not the same guy that he used to be. It's been on display, probably most prominently in June when he was in a very early debate with Donald Trump and had a hard time, and it was that debate performance that eventually led him to drop out of the race. There was a couple things, though, that this Wall Street Journal article points out, and that is that aids keep his meetings short. They're very careful to schedule them in short increments, never in the morning, because apparently he's not a morning guy. That some of the meetings with some of his most important cabinet officials, people like the secretaries of Defense and Treasury, etc. Have become fewer and farther between, because he's not able to keep up with those meetings. The way the Wall Street Journal puts it is presidents have always had gate keepers, but in Biden's case, the walls around him were higher and the controls greater than any other president recently. If you remember the fall of last year, President Biden had a interview with the Special Council who was interviewing classified documents, his storage of classified documents, and the President said he wanted to sit down for this interview, but the top aids around him knew that that was going to be an uphill climb, So they did practice sessions with him, literally three hours a day for about a week. They would do practice sessions so that when the President sat down with the Special Council, he'd know what answers, what questions to expect, and what answers to give. They said that during the practice sessions the energy levels were up and down, that he had a hard time recalling the lines that his team had previously discussed with him, and the White House official said that Biden was not showing his age in the prep and that anything that came out of the any concern that came out of those sessions, was actually related to his willingness to overshare, is what they said. But then he sits down with the Special Council and the interview did not go well. Multiple blunders. You can see him in the transcripts. Biden didn't recall that in the prep sessions he had been shown his own handwritten memo that argued against a surge of troops in Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: And that was just one.
Speaker 2: That was just one of the lengthy interviews with Biden over the last four years that concluded with this thing. You remember one of the reasons that they weren't going to prosecute the president for having the classified documents because a jury was likely to view him as quote, sympathetic, well meaning, elderly man.
Speaker 4: With a poor memory.
Speaker 2: This article relies on conversations with forty plus I think it's fifty members of Congress, members of the administration, presidential advisors, people close to him for that information. So it's a pretty crazy read about what it is that's going on in the White House. Up next our strange science stories. How about the mastodon jaw or micro plastics? What are we going to do about all of that strange science? When we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: A couple stories that we are following. The FAA has issued a month long ban on drone flights over a large swath of New Jersey. This band would continue through the middle of January and prohibits flights in airspace near twenty two different towns and cities in New Jersey, including three of the state's largest Camden, Elizabeth and Jersey City. Only the drone pilots authorized to operate for national defense, law enforcement, or disaster response are permitted to send those unmanned drones aloft in New Jersey again until the middle of January. Counter Terrorism officials in the UK say they have stopped three late stage terrorist attacks in just the last twelve months. Vicki evans Is, the Senior National Coordinator of counter Terrorism Policing, said forty three late stage terror plots have been stopped since twenty seventeen. Some of them were goal line saves, she referred to them. Of the three this year, she said, two of them were Islamist plots. One of them was from the far right Broncos that is Denver Broncos. At so fight tonight take on the Chargers for Thursday Night football. That's where Shannon is. The winner's going to have a leg up on second place in the AFC West. If you didn't hear it, it's a KFI Wonderful Life aired at eleven o'clock to night.
Speaker 5: Ke Garritt Shannon love the show. I loved your production of KFI Wonderful Life, and I think you guys did a great job. I was great heir and everybody's voices together, and the end was actually god me emotional, very sweet, touching.
Speaker 4: Love you guys. Your presentation was fabulous.
Speaker 5: You kept me entertained for one hour while I drove from Ontario to Newport Beach.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Hi, Harry and Shannon. I did love the rendition of It's a Wonderful Life. It was hysterical. It was actually a little like being in the Wizard of Oz. Some of the voices were so familiar and I can't lie when Clarence the Angel finally got her chardonnay, well choked up.
Speaker 11: Hey, Gary and Shannon. I'm still a little very clamped over that production of KFI It's a Wonderful Life. I laughed, I cried, I discovered the true meaning of Christmas. Are your friends and a bottle of chardonnay. Merry Christmas, everybody.
Speaker 7: Hey Gas, I just want to say thank you so much. I'm I'm touched see by your wonderful Christmas production. Thank you to everybody that was involved. And can you please list the names of everyone that did do their work on your production. I would love to hear it anyways. Merry Christmas, Happy Honik Kwanza, the rest, Love you guys.
Speaker 6: Bye.
Speaker 2: Before we get into strained science, the cast. Amy King was the narrator. Jacob Gonzalez was Joseph Shannon of course was Clarence I was Gary, the Handle was mister Gower. Oscar Ramirez was Pop's Bailey, Keana Ramondo was Mary Bailey, Michelle cubas p D Potter, Elmer Berigette was Uncle Billy, and Bruno Martini, Oscar again as the bartender, Conway Junior of course as Officer Bert, and Deborah Mark as our own Zuzu.
Speaker 4: It's time for stray science, strange science.
Speaker 10: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 2: Well, scientists in China have come up with a possible solution to all of our microplastics, a biodegradable sponge made of squid bones and cotton. They're saying they want to use the kitan from squid bones and cellulos from cotton to create a biodegradable sponge. And then they tested the sponge in four different water samples, lake and seawater and found it removed up to ninety nine point nine percent of microplastics. That would be a huge, huge find if that thing comes comes to fruition. A complete mastodon jaw has been found in the backyard of a home in New York, along with some other bits and pieces of that herbivore. The first hints came in late in September. Residents found a couple of giant teeth in the shade of some plant fronds on the proper near Scotch Town in Orange County, New York. Little digging showed two more teeth just a few inches below the ground. And the guy said, when I found the teeth and examined them in my hands, I knew that they were something special. So we called in the professionals from the New York State Museum and the State University of New York and Orange to investigate even further. Mentioned this one a little bit earlier. Today, you see Davis study shows a novel behavior in squirrels here in California. They're now hunting like carnivores, taking down and then consuming other smaller rodents. It's ongoing twelve year study of California ground squirrels at the Brionas Regional Park in Coast Contra Costa County. They last summer, they said they watched as squirrels began to chase and eat voles.
Speaker 4: A little cousin of field.
Speaker 2: Miss if you heard our small business shout out from just a short time ago, Elite Fitness Downtown. We talked with Mark Joaquin Martinez, the owner of Elite Fitness Downtown, and he's going to give away another free complimentary week of training at Elite Fitness Downtown. To call her number six. This is downtown on Santa Anna one eight hundred five to two zero one five three four eight hundred five two oh one KFI again, one free complimentary week of training at Elite Fitness Downtown with what keen Martinez and some of his trainers there all right, tomorrow special treat my wife. I don't have to change the name of the show. John Cobel Show is coming up next. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Stay dry. Everybody you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.