Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio home.
Speaker 2: Thank you Nicole. As we start off at Tuesday night brewinschmoins, what's the matter? I mean, Rhian's not playing. You can watch the game, turn the audio down, no big deal, and you can listen to Nightside and you can learn a lot. Right here on Nightside. We have four great guests coming up in this first hour. Get to the first guest in just a moment. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of the night Side Rob Brooks. Back in the broadcast central headquarters in beautiful part of Medford. It's a beautiful part. Everywhere in Medford is beautiful, actually, but this is not downtown Medford and kind of a location near Wellington Station. Where is the headquarters for for iHeart? Oh, but I will speaking about iHeart. If you know the iHeart app, you want to get it soon. It's easy to pull down. I pulled it down, well, it pulled down next a couple of weeks ago, and all you gotta do is science the new and improved iHeart app. And you were able to very quickly set us up WBZ as your preset, so boom, you got us anywhere in the world three and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven before I start Tonight, I was remissed last night. I was at a lovely dinner on Saturday night in Boston and I was asked to do a shout out to one of my most loyal listeners, and I somehow had misplaced the card that I have. So, with apologies to all, including I want to send a shout out to a loyal Nightside listener, Kathleen Stoker. Kathleen is from Arlington, Massachusetts, actually from originally Kinsale and County Cork. I've been in Kinsale in County Cork. I know it well. We might be related Kathleen. And Kathleen is a longtime Nightside listener and she's going to have a very special birthday next December first, and we'll celebrate it at that time. But I'm told she's hitting one of those big marks when you have a zero on the end of the number. Not going to tell you what the first number is, but Kathleen, thank you so much for being so loyal Tonight's side. I'm sorry that I missed the shout out last night, and I decided to do it tonight right at the top of the show. And I hope, I hope you heard it, and I hope some of your friends have heard it as well. Kathleen Stoker, Arlington, Massachusetts, originally from Kinsale County, Cork. Now let's get to the matters at hand. We're going to start off tonight talking with Alex Quanton. Alex is the managing editor of the Autos Team and US News and World Report. That sounds like a fun job, Alex Quanton, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm good. Thanks for having me Dan, And yeah, it is a fun job.
Speaker 2: I'll bet it is. So you have just come out or not you? The US World and News Report has come out with their twoenty twenty five list of best cars for Families. What makes a car best for families? I would I know that most families are not buying you know, little coop convert convertibles or something like them, or say these two seat convertibles. But give us a quick description of what qualifies as a family car. What are some of the uh, the indicators that are family for I think car I think most of us know, but I'd love to hear you tell us.
Speaker 3: Sure, so families really prioritize room above all else, because you want to be able to haul all that stuff with you and all your kids with you. But they also prioritize convenience, the availability of features. You know, there's a lot of new features now like team driver controls and adaptive cruise control and reverse automatic breaking. And they also want to get, you know, a good deal with something that has good feel, economy and has good safety scores. And I think a lot of families are looking for a combination of all those qualities. So what we do to calculate these awards is we analyze one hundred different vehicles from nine different classes UH and we cross reference sort of our overall all the reviews of the vehicle, which are done from data, and we also get into vehicles ourselves, but most of our rankings and reviews are done are data driven, and then we cross reference those reviews with a deep dive on passenger space, on cargo volume, the availability of the features I was just talking about, and then we score all that data. We actually have two data people who help us with this. They do a lot of hard work on it, and then the vehicles with the highest scores in each class are the winners.
Speaker 2: So now is it one hundred cars in each class or one hundred cars total?
Speaker 3: One hundred cars total. You know, there's a lot of marginal models that families aren't going to considered, and as you said, they're not going to be buying in Mercedes as sell. But we try to identify the things that we think are the most likely classes families have want, like three ro ow SUVs, mid sized cars, minivans, the usual.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think you have a bunch of categories and let's just take them in order, because there may be people out there who are listening tonight and will be mightily influenced by by what your recommendations are. Let's let's just take them a note. Let's talk about the best compact suv for family. So compact suv, that's the word compact. That's not a big family here, right, but it's a family.
Speaker 3: It's you know, it's not a big family, but it is a big vehicle on the inside. You know, the compact suv is kind of replaced the midsize sedan for a lot of people if you don't need more than two rows of seats. Although a couple of compact SUVs actually do offer a pine tiney third row if you really need it. But the one that we've chosen as our winner, and it's been a winner four years in a row, is a Hyundai Tucson. And I'll tell you the big thing that stands out is just how ringy and convenient it is. So the back seat. You know, we're always looking to load kids and with child seats, and you know, to get them in and out quickly, and to put people back there and sometimes elderly relatives back there too. The back seat of the Tucson has forty one point three inches of leg room, which is about eight tenths of an inch short of a Chevy Tahoe, which is a big, you know, big a honk and full size suv. So there's a lot of room, and that has an equally large amount of cargo space.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's go to the best two row mid size suv for failing, and that one is the twenty twenty five Mastax seventy. That's a pretty good sized car.
Speaker 3: It is. It's one of the bigger sort of mid sized SUVs. And you know, the CX seventy is a totally new entry in a class where you know, automakers haven't really been prioritizing large two row SUVs that tend to want to fit three rows in them, but you know, not everybody actually needs that third row. If you don't want it, the CX seventies huge advantages or that it offers all the style and features and a great driving experience of Mansa's other SUVs to c X ninety but with a huge, huge cargo area. I mean, you could conceivably take a family of four on the trip from LA to Chicago without feeling cramped and having enough room for your luggage without trailers, without you probably without even roof rack.
Speaker 2: So if you get a few, if you on a larger family and you need three rows, you're suggesting for mid size suv for families. Twenty twenty five Kia Tell You Ride. Someone else told me about the Kia Tell You Ride. They say it's a great vehicle.
Speaker 3: You know, the Tell You Ride is just a juggernaut. It is the sixth year in a row that we have named the Taill You Ride the best three row midsize SUVs for families, and you know, it's just really really talented and lots of areas it's got a big second row, just like the Tucson I mentioned, but it's also got a pretty reasonably roomy third road. There's more than thirty inches of the leg room. It's pretty easy to get in and out of, and it has lots and lots of features. You know, Kia has become a little bit more of an upmarket brand, but they still know all about you know, packing the cars full of like good technology. They have a great entertainment system that's very easy to use. They have lots of you know, the car has Wi Fi and all the family sort of centric safety features that we were talking about before. It's just talented in a lot of areas. I do want to say, while we're on the topic of three row SUVs, you know, are our winner for the best electric sub is also a Kia, and that's the key at EV nine. The EV nine, you know, it's it's a totally I hate to talk over you.
Speaker 2: If you have a question, go ahead, no no, no, no no no, I said, I yeah, I see that here. We can't get to all of them, but give me a quick comment on the q EV nine because at least we want to get one electric suv for families in here sure.
Speaker 3: So the EV nine offers just as much room as the Telly Ride, but in a package where you have far lower energy use. Now it isn't necessarily affordable for everybody. It starts at over fifty five thousand dollars, but it's the first really like approachable three to row electric suv on the market. All the other ones cost more than seventy five eighty thousand dollars, so this is a lot more accessible for many families. And one of the nice things about this is you get all the convenience of a vehicle like to tell you ride, but you know, you don't have to spend those twenty five minutes going to the gas station between soccer practice or after school or you know after violin practice, you just go home. You can charge it at home, you plug it in. You saved that like twenty five minutes every few days of having to sew up the car. And it's a pretty good performer. You know, it drives really well, charges really fast out.
Speaker 2: In the wild.
Speaker 3: If you gotta charge it on a fast charger, it's really quite quick. And it also comes with just tons and tons of features. So the Kia has really put up a good one to two punch with the three rows.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, look, there are a lot of other cars that not only the winners, but you also have a lot of rundown on information on the cars that finish in the top ten and a lot of these categories. It is the US News and World Report. They do this every year. They've perfected how to do it, and I just I'm going to be looking at it very closely because I'm going to be getting in the market pretty soon. And I just want to thank Alex Quanton, managing editor of the Autos teams at US News and World Report, and your your font of information. My friend, you got it all in. You got a lot more in than I thought we'll get in. Thanks you, Alex. Great job.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 3: Listeners can check it out at cars dot usnews dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks perfect. I should have I should have thought about that. Give that one more time cars dot US.
Speaker 3: Cars dot US news dot com.
Speaker 2: Couldn't be easier. Thanks very much, Alex. You did get it all in. All right, we get back to talk about a scholarship program. If you have a son and daughter, a niece or a nephew, or someone who is thinking about becoming an automotive technician. You want to listen up. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We are here every Monday through Friday night from eight till midnight. We being myself and Rob Brooks, and we will be back to you on the other side of this break on Nightside, Boston's news radio WVZ ten thirty and your am dial.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray, my from the Window World night Sank Studios on WBZ NewsRadio.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an interesting story. Apparently experts are predicting a shortage of auto technicians by twenty twenty eight. We're not talking about twenty thirty eight. We're talking about four years from now, three years from now, actually, a shortage of four hundred and seventeen thousand auto technicians with us as Alex Shelton, he is Ford's Philanthropy's Manager Education for the Future of Work. Welcome Alex to Nightside. How are you hi, Dan?
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on so.
Speaker 2: Ford Dealers and the Ford Fund, the Philanthropy Fund have invested two million dollars to help train future auto technicians. This this is kind of an amazing offer. Unfortunately, geographically it looks like it's somewhat in the Midwest, and in the West there are not these programs are not available to young people for some reason in New England at this point.
Speaker 5: No, it is open to the students in New England.
Speaker 4: This year.
Speaker 2: I looked at it. There was a map that was that said that I looked at that said that's good to know. Well, so tell us how can my listen as we're you know, a national station heard half the country. But the Vulcal relationship is in New England. So how do folks get lined up for these scholarships if they're interested in becoming auto technicians? What do they have to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So this is exciting partnership with our four dealers in Ford Philanthropy teaming up to provide four million dollars in scholarships. That comes out to eight hundred students receiving a five thousand dollars scholarship who's looking to pursue a degree as an auto technician. We partner with an amazing organization called tech Force Foundation. You can go to the website techforce dot org slash Forward Philanthropy and on that website it's all the information that you need to apply. So you have to be enrolled or applying into an auto technician training program live in one of the designated areas, and there's a list of schools that are eligible and you have to fill the fasta need based scholarship.
Speaker 2: I see, Okay, Yeah. I went to a couple of articles. One was out of the Ford Media Center. Ford Dealers in Ford funded best two million to train future auto techs. And then these were two articles out of the Ford Media Center, and in both of them they had as you scrolled down and read the article, they had some maps which led me to believe and I'm mistaken, that was my mistake. But the map highlights states in the Great Northwest, highlights Arizona, a lot of Midwestern and southern states, but nothing new England, New York, Pennsylvania. So it's good to know this is a national opportunity that people can take advantage of.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yeah, Wolf, it gets you the updated, updated press release. Because year one was a million dollars, year two was two million, and this year it's four million dollars in scholarships.
Speaker 2: And so March, yeah, it was March at twenty twenty four. You're right, it's exactly a year old. So that's that is great to know. So most of let's do so you have to be enrolled. Does that include a high school.
Speaker 5: Yep, So it's those who are enrolled or looking to enrolled. It can be enrolling in the future. And so if you're saying, you know, I'm a senior in high school and I'm interested in becoming an auto technician, you can select the school that you plan you plan to apply for. This is also for individuals who are looking for new careers. We had an individual who was in his mid forties, has a family, he was a teacher and is now choosing to go back to school to become an auto technician. And we had someone this past year who was in his sixties who was applying for the scholarship as well. And so it really is open to anybody who is looking to go back or looking to enroll, or is currently enrolled in an auto technician program.
Speaker 2: Okay, so to help me out here, because I'm not familiar. I know there are schools to become a broadcaster. I understand that I didn't go to school to become a broadcaster, but that need it here to there. So the specific schools people learn about the post high school that the focus is on becoming an auto technician. Is that like a year of training or how long does someone have to go to one of these schools to become qualified to basically become an auto technician.
Speaker 5: Yeah, great question, and it varies kind of program by program. The average, I would say, if you're going to a local community college, comes out to two years. There are other schools that are a certificate based that you can get this done in six months, nine months, eighteen months. But the average I would say that I've seen is two years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's have that website one more time so any of my listeners can get more information or to apply. Is are the two websites more information and a second one to apply? Or is more information and the one to apply the same website.
Speaker 5: It's the same website. All the information is on here and then you can click how to. You can click the apply button from this link.
Speaker 2: That is tech one more time. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Yeah, it's no worries. It is tech force dot org, slash Forward Philanthropy.
Speaker 2: Well that's pretty easy. Tech force dot org slash Ford Philanthropy. That's great, Alex, thank you so much. It's it's great to know that there are programs that companies like Ford are actually helping people again feel what is expected to be a huge shortage. So if you're someone who loves cars, uh, these are great paying jobs. And if there'll be a career for you, and you will, you'll be able to afford a family and and and a pretty good lifestyle. So thank you so much, Alex. Hopefully we have impacted maybe a few people tonight who as a result gonna get involved in this program. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on THNKDN.
Speaker 2: Alex Shelton, Ford's Philanthropy, Ford Philanthropies Manager. We'll we get back and I talk about a serious issue with doctor Ryan Carlson. Coorectal Cancer Awareness Month is this month in March critical importance of prevention and early detection in this fight against colorectal cancer, and this is something that both men and women need to be concerned about. Back with doctor Ryan Carlson right after this quick break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on the Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm w Z Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, as you mentioned before the break, March is colo Rectal Cancer Awareness Month, something that all of us need to be very aware of critical importance of prevention and early detection in this fight against colorectal cancer with us as doctor Ryan Carlson, colon and rectal surgeon at the Cape Cod Healthware. Doctor Carlson, Welcome to Nightside, Sir, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm very well, Dan, Thanks for having me on your show.
Speaker 2: Right, so you did some work I believe some of your residency at Lakey Clinic and now you were working down on the Cape at Cape called Healthcare. This is something that is a devastating disease, uh, you know, devastating diagnosis. I guess what can people do to to to prevent, you know, contracting this or is it so much genetically based that there's not much people can do? And then the other question I guess is what can they do to make sure that if they are going to be diagnosed, they're diagnosed early. So it's kind of a two part question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a there's a lot you can do. So it's kind of an optimistic picture. You know, if we catch colon cancer early, like say by screening with colonoscopy or one of the genetic stool tests or even a stool blood test in the early stages, we care about eighty five ninety percent of it. Pretty great. But of course in the later stages, when it's spread farther to the lungs or to the liver, we care about ten percent of it. So early detection is definitely only key.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, that's what I wanted to ask, because obviously you see the ads on TV about you can send in a sample and all of that. I still assume that the gold standard is the colonoscopy every three to five years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. And you know colonocopy, if you get one at age forty five, we say forty five is a new fifty because the colon cancer is starting earlier these days. And if you got a clean test and no family history, that test is actually good for ten years. That's one of the reason why we like it so much. I think it probably takes about ten years to go from a poll up to a cancer. Now, if you're somebody who has polyups on that first screen, yeah, they may want you to come back in in three to five years, but a lot of people get ten.
Speaker 2: This is it's it's not pleasant. Those of us who have had it certainly realized that the prep isnt A lot of fun, but it's a great feeling when it's over. The procedure itself is very it's not uncomfortable at all, and I think a lot of people still, you know, have that that apprehension if you will, uh how uh how effective? How efficient? Are the less invasive you know, not not the the screenings you know that involve you know, the procedure. Let me put it like trying to pick my words carefully here, Yeah, exactly if you want to avoid these ones. Yeah, the procedure. And you got the stool tests, I guess is the one that I see advertisements on television? How efficient or how effective is that? Is that one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's right. So there are a couple of different stool tests, and people frequently don't know which one they're getting. But the highest quality one is the DNA stool tests, which is it does two things that look for looks for microscopic blood in this dual, plus it looks for signature cancer DNA in the stool. And that's the most effective, and that finds almost as many colon cancers as colonoscopy does. Where it falls shorter than colonoscopy is it's not as good as detecting the polyps. So that's one thing that's nice about colonoscopy. Almost all cancers come from a polyp, and you do the scope and you kind of kind of mold a lawn. You kind of pluck out those polyps along the way, and we think prevent some of the cancers, which is great. But you know, in terms of detecting the cancers, yeah, the DNA based tool test is really quite good. The somewhat lesser one is the test that only looks for microscopic blood in the stool, and that one's not nearly as sensitive for cancer because not all cancers bleed. Some of them just aren't bleeding, and so that one you have to do every three years versus sorry, every one year for just the blood test the stool based blood tests, and the DNA one is every three years.
Speaker 2: Are you a believer? And I've asked this question of other doctors because I know that there are now blood tests. I think one of the commercial companies is Gallery or gallery however it's pronounced, where they basically take a blood sample and they look for that they detect cancer cells. I guess you know shavings from cancer cells. You probably know and can articulate a lot better than I can. But my doctor is a big fan of those tests, and my wife and I take one every year, not covered by insurance, but they seem to becoming to be becoming more popular. Do you know of what I speak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're the variant of what we're talking about that we do. We are starting to use some and let's say I take out somebody's call and cancer, and we want to know if they need chemotherapy or not, or they've had chemotherapy, and we want to know if they're cure or not. And there are companies now that will actually take the cancer that I or one of my partners took out and the look for which DNA sequences are off that needed a cancer in the first place, and they'll look for little snippets of that floating around in the patient's blood, and in the best cases, the data suggests that, yeah, they can. They can tell who's destined to get a recurrence of the cancer and who and even who would benefit from chemotherapy and who doesn't need chemotherapy because they're already already cured. Were for primetime, but it's exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a little further down the road. These These are blood tests essentially you take in conjunction with the annual physical UH. And the theory is that if any sort of cancer cells are getting active, they do shed some particles and as I understand that and that those particles can be detected in the blood test UH and they actually can identify what cancer might be percolating in your system. So I just I asked that I think it becoming more more more popular. What what at what age do colo rectal procedures, cancer screening, you know, procedures. At what point are people told, okay, you're old enough, you don't have anything, and it'll be something else that will that you will die of. There was a period of time when if you hit seventy they said, well you're you're good, and I think they've they've moved that back to seventy five or even eighty. Is there is there a magic year anymore that that people can say, okay, that's my last colo rectal procedure.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. Nothing magic, But the way I look at it like this, So, like I said, we think maybe it takes about ten years from a pole up to become a cancer. So I can't use that number. If I look at somebody in clinic and you know they're eighty five, but they're doing ballroom dancing and they can run up from flight of stairs when they're hearing laundry, and that person don't want to be screened. You know, I'm going to have a hard time saying no to that person. But to somebody who's seventy and you know they're on home oxygen and you just don't think they have another five or ten years in them, then maybe you could hold off on that person, okay.
Speaker 2: So it varies from varies from individual to individual, okay. And how difficult is it to detect the polyps? In other words, if someone if a doctor says to you, yep, you clean, didn't find any polyps? Are they tough to spot? Or you know, when the doctor says you're you're okay, you you can take that to the bank. In other words, my question.
Speaker 4: Is, you know, the last numbers I've seen is that we find about like ninety seven or ninety eight percent of the polyps, and so which ones are we going to miss? You know, if there was a bad prep and so that stuff is covering up five percent of the wall, the colon there we could miss that, or the flat the ones that are so subtle and you really need, you know, the new high death lenses that we have to even even catch them in the best of cases. Those are probably a few percent that we miss.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, the bottom line is parting. The pun is get get screened, Get screened as early as forty five, uh, and follow through one at year after year after year and again I can I can tell you that the prep is no fun. I think anyone will tell you that, But the procedure has never been a problem. They either knock you out or you go into a little bit of a daze and you wake up, you know, forty five or so minutes later, and they're giving you some lemon juice or orange eight or something like that in cookies, and you know that it's over. So yeah, absolutely, when they say you did great, that's what's most important to Ron Carlson. Thanks for your time. It's a sensitive subject that we've talked about, but I think you handled it really well for us, and I thank you for doing that. Well.
Speaker 4: It's my pleasure. Thanks for highlighting it today.
Speaker 2: Dan, You're more than welcome, all right. When we get back We're going to talk about one more serious issue, and that is fentanyl laced drugs. If you have children or grandchildren who are about to head off to spring break where they party hardy, you want to listen to this next interview, and you may want to suggest to them that they go to a night side and demand sometime tomorrow morning and listen to the interview as well. I think it will be self evidence when you're self evident when you listen to the interview. We're coming right back on night Side.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, spring break is upon us, and of course spring break for different colleges and different college students occurs in different weeks. It's funny when you look the entire month of March. They're telling stories about the bring breakers and all of that. Well, most kids get like a week somewhere and if they go to Florida or wherever the Caribbean. Uh, and is like particularly if they're juniors or seniors, maybe sophomore a friend, it's party time, uh and their god can be down. So with me is doctor Abide Nazaire.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is an advisor and addiction psychiatrist, Chief Medical Office officer at Hope Mark Health, doctor Nazir, thank you for joining us tonight. How are you?
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I'm doing wonderful. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay. You are with a group called Defend D E F E N T Okay, which we're going to talk about in a little a little later. It's a it's a detection device for fentanyl. I think the best protection against fentanyl is don't mess with anything anything other than you know, beer or alcohol out of a bottle. But for the dangers are federal. Let's let's put it on the line here. This this is nothing more than a killer drug.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, it's it is one of the most deadliest drugs that are out there. And not only out there, it's you know, growing, growing amount is out there and you don't need a lot for it to be dangerous. So this over the last you know, last ten to fifteen years, have been rising in fatalities from fentanyl specifically. So it's an extremely dangerous drug that can really show up in a lot of different ways, whether it's intentionally using it or even unintentionally.
Speaker 2: Let's deal let's deal with the intentionally first. Why would anyone in their right mind with all the publicity that we've we've heard about fentanyl, Why would anyone in their right mind, And maybe it's because they're not their right mind voluntarily digest a pill that they believe has fentyl involved it in it. Are there some people who think they can take this drug and they have this great high and they can survive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So when you when you really talk about the concept of intentional use, meaning somebody really that is what their attention is to use fentinil the most one of the most common I guess stories behind that. A lot of times it starts when somebody uses a different opioid drug. Fentanyl is an opioid. It's a synthetic opioid, so it's manufactured in a lab and and it is you know, oftentimes cut into heroin and many other different types of drugs. It can get cut into. It's cheaper to make, and it increases the high. So for somebody who is selling less drugs, it actually will cause somebody to get addicted faster and enjoy the high more. But what happens is people sometimes it could be a pain condition. They were prescribed opioids just for pain, control. And with time, as you develop tolerance to opioids, and then you're not you don't get the same effects, so you don't get the same pain relief. And then somebody, let's say, loses access to their prescribed opioid, and now then they need to find it in other means. And once you try finding opioids in another in another way, whether even whether it's like heroin or then or heroin lace with fentanyl. Once somebody has a physical, physiological, and psychological addiction to opioids, Fentanyl is one of the strongest opioids out there, somebody's tolerance level goes higher and higher. They're looking for something stronger to get that effect.
Speaker 2: Wow wow. Okay, So let's talk about the college student, a teenager eighteen ninety years old, first time away from home, and there were at a party and someone says, hey, I got this really cool dog. You want one of these? Uh? You know kids had a couple of beers and says, oh, why not? You know, I'm not in high school anymore. Is that the way that that plays out with a lot of these kids?
Speaker 6: Sadly, yes, it definitely can play out that way, you know, in general, and you know, a younger population. Let's say spring break time, there's a heavy party happening. There are a lot of different drugs that are in higher prevalence in a situation like that when you're in a party, especially you know, in college.
Speaker 4: Then once they're at this party, it could be that, hey, here's some you know, a different pills.
Speaker 6: They think maybe they're taking m D M A. But the m D M A or ecstasy is laced with fentinel or maybe it was you know, cocaine, and cocaine oftentimes gets cut with fent toil. So a lot of times it's just unintentional there. When you start with alcohol, you're disinhibited more. You're just more likely to make that bad decision to try something else. And maybe they don't understand the dangers of fentanyl or the fentanyls in that product we see. I mean, there's been so many overdose deaths over this last especially over this last ten twenty years at just rising rates. So it's really it's really it's a sad situation. But the key is just knowledge for somebody to know that fentanyl could be in this drug. Somebody knew who's drinking let's say alcohol in their spring break. They're having fun and parting. It may not be that they go straight from that to say I need to find fentinyl. It's usually like there's usually kind of steps in between. Many times, like that's not their ability to.
Speaker 2: That is what you're saying.
Speaker 6: I think exactly. That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: Doctor is here again. You have you represent a company called Defend de f E n T. You're an advisor and addiction psychotherapist. Uh, and there's a this company, Defend has a fentanyl detection device. Tell us about that, and I mean, it sounds horrible that you have to have such a product. But tell us about that product and how people can get it, and is it possible that they can give it, you know, save to their kids when they go off on spring break. Hey, take this with you. Is it easy to use? Tell us about it if you can? Sure?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 6: So you know, I'm yes, I'm an advisor for this company, Defend. I you know, I'm an addiction psychiatrist and I have my own practices. Hope mark out. Then we we treat addiction right. So, And I've worked in many different settings for treating substance use disorders. And when you know, when I found out about Defend and what their product is about, you know, it really drew me to want to be in in this company because this we always think of, like all right, hey, what do we do with somebody overdoses?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: Hey, then there's no lock zone. You can give a you know, injection of noxon or but that is after the overdose, right, and you need somebody there that knows how to use the lozone. The loxzone needs to be available, it needs to be ready to go right at that point, because this is this is a matter of minutes. Somebody can die when somebody overdoses on something. So Defend is coming at it. Even it's a harm harm reduction approach is primary prevention, meaning like okay, let's not even get to the point of the overdose. So to Defend one device basically, it's it's like an it's an all in one fentanyl detection device. It's really the world's first and only, like patent pending, it's a portable the detection device that, like the whole purpose is designed to make testing substances very quick and easy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm getting tied on time. Is is this available commercially or is it simply patent pending.
Speaker 6: No, So it is available now and it's accurate. It is very well supported in terms of their accuracy with studies. But it's Amazon dot com. You can go to defend f E n T dot com and purchase it directly from there.
Speaker 2: Okay. And is this something that is you know, small that someone can put in their pocket or in their purse and have with them. How how large is this product?
Speaker 6: Not large at all? It's yes, it can fit in your pocket or in your purse. It has everything you need altogether. The pre measured scoop has everything you need. Just to test it and within two three minutes you can get your inaccurate result is sent to the present or not in whatever substance you're set testing perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's on Amazon at defend f E n T dot com. Doctor Nasir, thank you very much for what you do and the lives that I'm sure you have saved doing it like this.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate it, appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. We'll talk again, I hope someday. We are going to take a quick break here for the nine o'clock news and we get back We're going to delve into the politics of Washington. It's been an interesting week between DC and Wall Street and tariffs and Ukraine, and we're going to sort it all out on the other side of the break