Speaker 1: Danielle Drinsky time to come on and talk about the fact that all of a sudden, we've got mayors finally admitting, hey, you know what, we may have Venezuelan gangs and they may be taking over some apartment complexes, which is what she's been sounding the alarm about. Did you know that the mayor was finally going to have your back on this?
Speaker 2: I didn't, Manby, so I was I was happy to see that he came out. He has not reached out to me. Nobody has reached out to me. So I was happy to see that that Mayor Coffman, you know, finally made a statement about it.
Speaker 1: Well, and he did say here's my issue. Mayor Mike Kaufman and Mayor Mike Johnson sat down with Kyle Clark. Kyle who never misses an opportunity to take a shot at a conservative woman as he sort of tried to say that it was all in your head earlier this week via ex But they sat down and said, look, this is causing hysteria, and now we have all these people calling nine one one and three one one. What would you have preferred them to do in this situation in order to not have to make it a massive, huge issue.
Speaker 2: Well, this could have been addressed when I first started talking about it, you know, but I get ignored, I get dismissed. I don't know, Mandy, if this is something they'd like to have conversations and just exclude me. But I am the chair of the Public Safety Committee for the City of Aurora. I have not been told what the plan is to address this. I have Aurora police officers coming to me asking me what the plan is. They're told that no less than four of them can respond to any of the department complexes at a time, and quite frankly, they try to avoid them because they're concerned about their own wellbeing. So what is the plan? If they didn't want it to come out like this, they had the platform, they had the voices to come forward or behind the scenes to put together. They knew that this was starting to burst at the seams because I was getting louder and louder. So about two weeks ago cup two three weeks ago, APD did come out and announce that they were forming a gang task Force to try and deal with it. So they saw this coming out of me, Mandy. You know, I don't change my strength when I start getting loud about something and no one listens, I get louder and I get louder, and I guess what I have found in local government? Maybe in government across the board some folks that think that they can just ignore others. But I refuse to be ignored.
Speaker 1: I said yesterday on the show Danielle that I think, you know, maybe I was trying to give Mayor Mike Kaufman a little grace on this issue.
Speaker 3: And I said, maybe there is a.
Speaker 1: Massive law enforcement organization working on this and they don't want to tip their hand, or maybe you just don't want a rora to continue to look like get a black eye, right so, And I think it's the latter in this case.
Speaker 3: He just does not want Aurora painted with this brush.
Speaker 1: Because Aurora has had a reputation of having trouble with crime for a very very long time. Does that concern you at all or is it so important that you just want it taken care of?
Speaker 2: Well? I think it concerns me that any elected official would allow something like this to be downplayed in order to save our image. And again, as far as our image goes, Mandy, I have been talking about this for weeks. I have been saying, what is going on in these department complexes. Police officers are coming to me, Residents are making their way out, They're reaching out. What are we doing? What is the plan? If there'd have been a plan, if somebody were to move in on these complexes, if arrests would have been made. But you know what they did, Mandy. Instead, they closed in on the Nome Street apartments, I mean, the guys of code enforcement violations and did nothing to address this gang problem. So this gang they just picked up and spread out even further into other apartment complexes, terrorizing more Aurora residents. And you know, just like the Romeros which you saw.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe they were still living there. I said to her, I said, I'm going to get you out, pack your stuff.
Speaker 2: You're leaving.
Speaker 4: I will take care of all the logistics you are leaving. I mean, this is un real that in the United States of America that in a major we're what the forty ninth largest city in the country. This is how Americans are living.
Speaker 2: But Mandy, let me tell you something. The nonprofits and the city lined up ruled out the red carpets for all of the folks that came out of the Nome Street Department. Well, let me tell you the actual leaseholders, the citizens, the residents that had been there before. They'd all either been chased out, scared out, fled for their lives, whatever the case may be. So all of these resources went to Venezuelan migrants, all of them. Who is lining up? Where are the nonprofits? Where is anybody to go in and help folks like the Romeros who I'm moved out, both with bullet holes in their cars. Who's helping them?
Speaker 1: Danielle Drinsky is my guest Auora City councilwoman. You know, Danielle, I am, first of all, I'm really glad you're sounding the alarm. Second of all, I hope that we can get this under control. And I want to ask you a quick question. This is a little bit of a sidewinder, but really not you guys just hired a new police chief, and I am not one of those people who thinks you needed more comput you know, community engagement, because obviously that's been an abject disaster based.
Speaker 3: On how things have gone so far in that role.
Speaker 1: What are you expecting out of this new chief when it comes to addressing this issue.
Speaker 2: Person foremost many, I would like to be heard for once. I would like to be heard. I ran my race and I won, and I got elected just like anybody else, and I deserve a voice at the table. I deserve to be heard. So many of these maybe in the past that I've found to the alarm about that I've been very vocal about. It's been proven over and over again. Oh wait, there really is something to what she's saying. Well, just listen to me. But if I'm just going to be dismissed as oh this crazy loud woman, listen. I didn't want to spend all of my time fighting with other people to make sure that the right things are happening in Aurora. It should just be happening. And I am optimistic. I am optimistic about Todd Chamberlain's arrival. You know. I interview obviously, as many of us did, but I interviewed the man personally, and he has a calm demeanor that he has a stern presence. I can tell he's a leader. I think he is going to get this apartment on the on the right track, you know. And and if and when he gets here, and he's doing the great job that I believe he's going to do. I am going to be his biggest, biggest supporter. I will be out in front of him because I know that since I have taken office, I have largely been the biggest police chief critic that we've had. But there's a reason for that, manby So let me.
Speaker 1: Ask this, Danielle, and this is from one of our texters on the Common Spirit Health techt line, Mandy, Can Danielle paint a picture of what these gangs are doing at the apartments? Can you tell us what you know from the Romeros who you just moved out of one of these What is it.
Speaker 2: Like there that it's a nightmare? And anybody who just missed. Cindew Romerol for the first time did an interview on Fox National at noon. You can go back and hear it in her own words.
Speaker 4: But I mean they would actively they actively patrol the properties with guns. You know, they stop vehicles that are pulling up to the property. They go up to vehicles of the cinta Arinus released more video footage yesterday. They'll just stop vehicles at gunpoint. They are at they're controlling the properties. They go in, they'll just kick the door in well.
Speaker 2: You saw the video footage.
Speaker 4: They'll take axes and just chop your door handle off. That's why the Romeros lived with four dead bulls and a door bresh got extortion, assaults, sex trafficking, I mean, I mean, I have heard it all from these residents.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I wonder how many of the folks in the news media have been to these housing complexes or even the mayor.
Speaker 2: Well outside of Vicente. I'm not sure. I know that the mayor was at the Nome Street apartments over a year ago, but it was it was not this, It was not this a year ago when the mayor, So I'm not sure that anybody has And of course you know now, I'm sure they're all going to go for the photo ops and get over to some of these apartment complexes and you know, have.
Speaker 4: Their photos taken.
Speaker 2: But but they're also now put on notice. So I'm certain that police are now and hopefully federal partners are going in and going after some of these flooks that maybe let me tell you, maybe six eight months ago, there was a man kidnapped from the Nome Street departments. The man was kidnapped and he was jumped off clear on the other side of Aurora, out by the Southlands area, and when police interviewed him, that man gave a statement that they had a kill room, a kill room in one of these apartment complexes. So you know the fact that the federal agencies, he has to think that one local law enforcement by agency by themselves, the Oral Police Department, can take on something like this is ridiculous. The men and the.
Speaker 4: Women of the Royal Police Department works so hard. They are working tirelessly, so many hours, and you know.
Speaker 2: What, they want to make sure they're going home at night too. Where are federal partners?
Speaker 4: And Jared Police said he has offered support.
Speaker 3: Show up.
Speaker 4: Jared, you don't.
Speaker 2: Have to ask if we want them to come.
Speaker 3: Send them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, he says, it's all in your imagination. Danielle, So you know you got that going for you.
Speaker 2: I have such a vivid imagination, it's wild.
Speaker 3: Danielle Dorensky. I appreciate your time. Keep up the good work, keep sounding the alarm.
Speaker 1: I mean, sounds like you are the one who is looking out for the law abiding citizens that are living in these complexes, and for that I'm grateful.
Speaker 3: So thanks for making time for us today.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I always appreciate you.