Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to Game Spot After Dark, episode two hundred and fifty five.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Two hundred and fifty five? You question this every time I'm on the podcast. I like just checked it. We're back after a couple of months, two months. Yeah, we've been in the void. We've been in the void.
Speaker 4: We are in the void right now.
Speaker 3: You're in the void. That's why it sounds like this little do you all know? Listeners, we've actually entered another place, another zone, and we have and that's the zone. We only just figured it out, figured out how to be able to communicate beyond. Yeah, yeah, which is why you hear such an echo.
Speaker 1: Full of anomalies. Hey, why don't we talk about why we haven't been on for a while for a brief minute.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: So, first off, I want to apologize. We've been trying to do an episode for a while and a bunch of compounding things have just happened. The big thing was we had a number of layoffs at the end of October that hit us pretty hard, the video team in particular.
Speaker 3: We were cut in half essentially.
Speaker 1: You know what, I want to just go in and say, so we lost, we lost the entire UK team.
Speaker 2: So Adam Morris, Dave Jewett, Ada Mason.
Speaker 1: Adam Mason lost Davante over on the East Coast, we lost Dave Klein, Dave Kleine over in la we lost Eric Tay and Aaron Sampson. Those last two you you might not be as familiar with because they're not really front facing people, but they were.
Speaker 2: Like, I've been here for years, and.
Speaker 1: Aaron in particular had been here for like I think the longest, maybe like sixteen years, almost at twenty, I think.
Speaker 3: Almost at twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, goodness.
Speaker 3: If you want to know who, if you want to know who Aaron Sampson is, I highly recommend that you go into YouTube our YouTube channel and watch the Call of Duty video about playing it as an old person.
Speaker 1: As a dad. That was the last video he ever made and.
Speaker 3: Without knowing what the fate was that you know the hand that you will be dealt. That is such a good video And if only.
Speaker 1: We could all be so lucky to go out on a video that is like quintessentially uses in the way that video is for Aaron.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Aaron.
Speaker 1: Aaron was my manager, Yeah, my manager for a very long time, very long time. And then Eric was the was was my manager for a long time and then eventually became like a head of video a game spot. So yeah, that happened, and then we kind of had to pick up the pieces and then we didn't have an office for a while, but we do now because we're sitting in our studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we kind of have an I mean we have an office. We have an office now, but there's nothing in it. Are literally sitting in the void of a room, in an empty room, a giant open studio for what Yeah, so that might be if you're hearing an echo, that is why.
Speaker 5: So but can we talk about like when the studio will be operational when I mean, like, I know, we don't want to go into like next year's strategy, but like games, but after dark, we're not done with it, right, it's it's it's coming back next year. We're going to have some cool bells and whistles that will come along with Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, So.
Speaker 1: Beginning next year we have some people who are gonna come in and build out the studio for us, and we're gonna turn it into a really cool space and then yeah, after dark will we'll probably keep doing it as like an audio thing at the beginning of the year. But then eventually, once the space is set up and you know, we have this kind of full new vision that we're working on, it will go back to live on video, which should be cool. So yeah, we've been dealing with all that. It's been a lot. So first off, I just you know, thank you everyone for sticking around and for understanding why it's been a little tough to record because it's just been crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the nature of the podcast over the past I don't know, six plus months has been up and down in terms of consistency.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 3: And for those of you who are listening, who show up, thank you. We will get back to normality. Yes, we are on our way to it, or at least some I don't know. Yeah, I mean we going a handshake, and.
Speaker 4: In fact, there's almost.
Speaker 5: Next year there might be more emphasis on the podcast. To be fair, like, I think it's going to be very consistent, will need to be very consistent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, it'll things will dictate that there will.
Speaker 3: Be more of a consistent normality to it.
Speaker 2: There will be blood.
Speaker 3: There will be blood.
Speaker 5: I've been talking about that movie a lot. Really, I'm always talking about that movie that I've never.
Speaker 3: Seen really said much to me about it.
Speaker 2: Really, No the.
Speaker 3: Infamous I would like Milkshit. Yeah, I always think about it for the when it lost to No Country for Old Men for Best Picture.
Speaker 4: Which is crazy.
Speaker 3: I feel like that is like I watched a notorious uh one that's movies because back to back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the titles should be flipped. I think it would make more sense if the titles were flipped. But like I watched No Country for Old Men a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: It is a great movie. I love it, but to think that it lost that there will be blood is just is baffling to me.
Speaker 5: It's amazing movie, but there will be blood as like, in my opinion, very next.
Speaker 3: Love, I mean, my fiance for the longest time was also because I love No Country for Old Men and I would always mention it and Julianne be like, that's the movie with the cowboys, And when she would say that, was like, well, I mean it's a western in some ways, it's like a suspense thriller. And I guess it takes place in the desert a lot like I guess I think I know what she's talking about. And then it wasn't until much much later where we're watching No Country Old Man, She's like, this is not the movie I thought this was. And that's when it clicked and I was like, oh, you're thinking about there will be blood. It's not a cowboy movie, which is not a western. But I get it same era.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe.
Speaker 4: If I had a straw that went from one side of the room, do your milkshit.
Speaker 3: Maybe we should just do this entire podcast with Jake recording that movie. It's great because No Country Old then barely has dialogue's like, which something I do love about that movie, Like, I mean, the only thing I really think of is call it like the flippy Yeah, call it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Anyways, if you.
Speaker 4: Had the book, No looks very good. I think the movie is better, but the book is very good.
Speaker 3: That's why the dude who did the rose Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, video games and and all that stuff, let's not talk about let's not talk about anything.
Speaker 1: It's the end of the year. It's true, it's the end of the year. So game Spot go to GameSpot dot com. We have our top ten up. We have a Game of the Year up. It was metaphor refantasio.
Speaker 2: Is that how you say it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, refantasio, fantasio, refantasio. I can't say it. I mean, I'm saying it now. You gotta say it like a re fantasm metaphor refantasio.
Speaker 2: I struggle saying it.
Speaker 4: Is there a colon between the r E and the fantasio or? Did I dream that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But the the F is capitalized, so it's r E.
Speaker 3: I think you're just a stare. You're typing Japanese RPG titles. I have every they do, like words, there's a colon after metaphor? I think there is.
Speaker 5: I think, yes, assume there is, for like the fire Escape Game of the Year, the other one of the podcasts I work on. There's always a category that's just worst titled games, and some of them are just truly, truly truly.
Speaker 1: What was one of the worst titled games this year?
Speaker 4: I can't even think of it off the top of my head. I can probably pull.
Speaker 3: Up what's the new Naughty Dog one? Intergalactic fun time.
Speaker 1: Heretic profit profit. It's so bad that really it's called Intergalactic the heretic prophet.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh god, it's the same it's it feels like the same garble of fucking nonsense words as that one Breath of the Wild Ubisoft clone. Oh oh, Phoenix Yeah, Phoenix Rising. Yeah, And it just feels like a series of words. Yes, Immortals Phoenix Rising.
Speaker 1: They should have just gone with Intergalactic that's like way better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. And also I think the original title for Mortals Phoenix Rising was like, we have.
Speaker 6: A different the God's Anger of the Gods or something like Gods and Monsters, Gods and monsters, which is quite cool, cool, but you know, se o, it's gonna be a lot easier to identify that you're looking for something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you were having Gods and Monsters, you'll probably find a lot of stuff it's about gods and monsters. But if you type in Immortals of Phoenix Rising, Google's gonna have no problem finding that fucking string of bullshit, just like Intergalactic Prophet Wizard.
Speaker 5: I know this, it has been said, but man is depressing that we're naming games based on or anything based on the case.
Speaker 3: But I can as I can imagine, you know.
Speaker 5: But it is something I'm sure that gets thought about. There's meetings where it's like, what can we call it? This like what happens if you google it?
Speaker 3: And yeah, it was a really good joke.
Speaker 1: I forgot about because I had to recapture the beginning of Lorelai the other day. And when you first meet Renzo and he's like on the phone and he's like, oh, he's talking about He's like what they just want to call it lazery. He's like no, no, no, no, no, like tell me can go fuck themselves.
Speaker 3: And that's why Laura Lili and the Laser Eyes is my personal game of the Year because it is also my personal game of the year.
Speaker 4: It is also.
Speaker 3: Talk about being a satire and also a commentary on game development and art technology and doing it all at once, to the point where we're talking about a garble of fucking words, and Laura Li and the Laser Eyes addresses it in the opening ten fucking minutes, which makes you kind of which I think validates your point. That's like, yeah, I think maybe you know, there's definitely probably a meeting someone's happening.
Speaker 5: I mean, I imagine for smaller titles, they're probably not as concerned with that.
Speaker 4: Maybe they are, I don't know, but like you, you know, you'd be soft has to be like they have meetings where's.
Speaker 3: And it's clearly working the fuck out for them. Yeah, I'm doing great right now. Yeah, not to be totally jaded about it, but I mean, like you see these big giant businesses and corporations making these silly decisions that I just can't forge. I can't see anything that there is happening on there, and they're neck of the words that makes sense. Yeah, I mean the person I've gotten our top sad in that game I gave me.
Speaker 4: To play that.
Speaker 3: That game's cool. It's uh, I think I think it was.
Speaker 2: But they also just burst the team, so yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I'm not gonna I'm not like a games analysts, so I'm sure there's many reasons why that game didn't succeed, But I honestly think that is an example of the perception of it U be soft kind of like very.
Speaker 3: Negatively impacting, where I think a lot of people who are like I know I would like that game.
Speaker 1: I just don't trust you be soft. Like I heard that all want from people, which is very interesting.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's so shallow I need to get it. I think I'm gonna play it. I've got a flight coming up, Long Flights. I think I'm gonna play it doing that. But like for me, it was like, man, that's fifty dollars it came out, Yeah, that's kind of a lot, and like, but the to say, because I know the game is very good. People everyone I've talked to have loved it and like, it's just.
Speaker 3: But I understand that mentality. I also it's like, but the funny part is, you know if you saw Metro dread for fifty dollars, would you have had the same feeling.
Speaker 5: No, I would have thought it was a deal because it was like, wow, Nintendo didn't charge sixty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, But I think.
Speaker 5: Part of me too, Like, I mean, Metroid might be a weird example, but I fucking love Metroid.
Speaker 3: And it's been tranditionally. Yeah, and at least I stand correct because at least Metroid basically created the genre that Prince of Personal Lost Crown is adapting. Yeah, but I mean it fucking did it exceptionally well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think I'm gonna get it and play it over over the break.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I had decided to come up with just like a list of weird questions. Cool that we could just kind of go over to kind of give our personal flavor for the year, our own, our own wrap up between the three of us. So I want to start with what was a game that was not in Game of Spots Top ten that you personally would have put on?
Speaker 3: Got It?
Speaker 4: I don't know the name, but you're the one who recommended that I play.
Speaker 2: Twentieth Century Kid.
Speaker 3: Twentieth Century Kid bo Boca no Matsu. Yeah, I'm all I love I put in like twenty hours in this.
Speaker 4: I think I put like ten or twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think that was probably one of my favorite games that even I forgot to put in my top ten. But we were just talking about it, and uh, it's definitely one of the more not Suman not Suman. Yeah, definitely one of the more interesting games that came out this year because it's kind of about nothing. It's you were just a kid and you have that that innocent sense of discovery as you're walking around catching bugs in nineteen ninety nine in Role Japan.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I dug that game along.
Speaker 3: And that game also does really doesn't tell you, like it only suggests it only like gives you ideas of like what you could do and what you could explore. But you can play that entire game having never because it only lasts for it last. You know, it's like a day night cycle that lasts for a summer's worth of time in game thirty days, right, Yeah, but you can complete that game after like it just runs out out of time in thirty days, and you could literally done nothing that the game told you to do. You just can exist and like wander around town and like meet people lovely out like in the fields and roll Japan or like touch butterflies and not give a shit about anything.
Speaker 5: And there's like a bunch of great characters too, and like if you do want to do I guess not side missions tasks or whatever, Like there's the whole mystery club that you can get involved in, and there's the guy who's trying to clean his lighthouse or whatever.
Speaker 2: And fill your diary every night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, that's a good one that was on my top ten.
Speaker 5: I know I should have put it on there. I think it was just completely spaced forget. Yeah, but it definitely would have been I think a hard fight to get it on gamespots.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I mean clearly if we So for those of you who don't know, the way our top ten works is like we all vote, we all have our own list of top ten that we submit, and then based on where those fall into a line in our top ten, kind of aggregates points and then you know, but like for example, Lorelin Lasers made on our top ten because I think four or five people voted for it, but they voted for it very high.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know three people who put it number one, but there's even two other people who voted for it and put it pretty high in their list, which got it into our top ten.
Speaker 3: But that doesn't mean it's actually in our top ten. That just puts it up for discussion. Sure, so even if like Jake and I put natsum on twentieth Century Kid on our like number one our list, like, that's probably not enough to have actually got it in the top ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless we fought past unless.
Speaker 3: We had a half life Alex moment where not enough people played it and we were like, no, this fucking game.
Speaker 1: So, like a weird example for me is in a reverse of that, was I put a game in my top ten pretty high that I figured, oh, this is not gonna end up in the top ten. It actually did initially buy the votes, but then it got kicked out and Final was with it. That was Destiny to the Final Shape, which I put on my top ten for very personal reasons of like, well, this game means a lot to me, you know, culmination of a ten year story and journey for that game, Like, I think it just came together so incredibly well. And it was like I really didn't think that thing was going to be any good because of how the last expansion I thought was kind of disappointing, and I was like, oh, I don't know if they can bring the story together. They had a bunch of layoffs, like it just but they did it, and it was like incredible. So like it just meant a lot to me and apparently meant a lot to enough other people at games they initially end up in our list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, if it wasn't for Stalker two, Indiana Jones and what was the third one that stuck its way up Hell Diveries was it?
Speaker 6: Hell? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean for me, if it wasn't for soccer too in Indiana Jones, I would have I mean I did I think I believe I voted for Desney today. It was it was actually really close in the list. Yeah, I mean it made it like it was into the it was number ten in the top ten when it when we didn't know it it was, it was there. It was there, but if it wasn't going up against two other games that I I personally played and.
Speaker 1: Thought sure and and and I also felt like it should have gone to those games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that your game that you would have you would have had in the top ten if you could.
Speaker 1: Chose m maybe, But because it kind of did end up, I think the other game I would talk about that was like a personal like I just sunk a ship ton of time into this game, but I knew it would never end up in the top ten was View Rising. Yeah, because my weird Vampire Crafting Build Your Gothic Castle game. I put a lot of time in ninety hours into that game. Damn played the whole thing co op, which is the way to play it, by the way, like straight up.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was interesting talking about because Richard asked me afterwards, He's like, I tried playing that game. I just like I did not like getting bounced off and it was telling me all these things about it that he didn't like.
Speaker 3: And uh, also, apologies of this sound happening.
Speaker 4: There's still building out.
Speaker 1: They're still building, especially the void exactly. Yeah, we don't we don't question what comes out of the void. But yeah, I mean, like I totally get like, like I kind of realized, like, yeah, yeah, the game does have a lot of like weird friction stuff that m I could see. If you played by yourself, you'd be like this kind of sucks versus but playing that game co op and having that specific experience of like working together to take down these bosses, to build our castles, to like help each other out, it's just extremely fun.
Speaker 3: I mean I labeled you as the like the v Rising personal game spot. There was a moment where I think somebody in our news slack was, hey, does any even play for Rising? And before I can even type your name, You're like, I'm here, what do you need?
Speaker 4: Like, what do you need?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just set it up to the whereas it gets the type of slack and automatically messaging.
Speaker 2: We have Googled notifications if anything's ever needed.
Speaker 1: It was like, I'm here, Yeah, that game, that game is like, if you're into that.
Speaker 3: Type of uh, that type of.
Speaker 1: Experience, like it is really really fun, especially because you can just have like a server going with eight people in a group.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't realize there's that many people.
Speaker 1: You can have up to eight and and the thing is, so we played it where we were on like a team, but you can have it where everyone's against each other and you can face right people's castles.
Speaker 3: Because that's when I was like, I want to make the shittiest fucking mansion imaginable and have people come and raid my joint find fucking jack shit.
Speaker 5: I will say probably one of the biggest surprises for me as we were putting together that top ten was Final Fantasy was pretty high on there, and I was like, I'm just gonna say my piece, I don't think this game belongs on the list, and I was like, you know, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure a lot of people want to to do that.
Speaker 5: And after I said it, I put my headphones down and walked away, and mid lunch came back and it was off the list, and I was like, all right, you know, I'm sorry if you're a fan, but oh my god, that game wasted so much.
Speaker 3: Of my time I mean two more, who's saying the reviewer of that game who gave it an eight out of ten, it was like I could not bring himself. I know Jess really wanted it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And I will preface I know people were very excited for that game.
Speaker 4: I know people had a lot of fun. I am so happy for them that it connected it just I wanted it. I wanted to enjoy it so bad I couldn't.
Speaker 1: It didn't end up on my top ten. But that is a game that, despite how messy it is and how badly it ends and really like just I think like kind of takes a nose dive, there are things about that game that I still think are really incredible and amazing. I think the voice actor for Barrett should have been nominated and one Best Voice Actor for the Game Awards. And that's just my personal shit, But I like, to me, I'm like, he's the standout.
Speaker 3: What about what was your feel like?
Speaker 4: How So?
Speaker 3: I haven't played Final Fantasy Rebirth seven Rebirth, but I've heard a lot about Barrett's story. I played a lot of the games for who was nominated for Best Actor? Oh sure? I really it was a weird one for me because I really do think the actor who portrayed James Sutterland should have only because so much of it is owed to.
Speaker 2: Not those lines, but purely I agree.
Speaker 1: I also think it's funny because the actress for sanuel One, which I you know, I think she's incredible, She's fantastic, but equally help Blade also won Best sound Design, which I also think should have gone to Silent Hill too, because I'm like, heel Blade had the most sound design, Yes, he's the most present.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if I would. I have.
Speaker 1: I have feelings about that games sound design and how it's actually uti where Style Hill to sound design genuinely fucking terrifying, Holy shit that game.
Speaker 5: I feel like sound design in in movies and games is one of those things that I don't think a lot of people really understand, Like yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Know it, but they know it when it's not there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those things that like I think a lot of people can identify when it's good and they like I was like, oh my god, that movie sounded so good, but when it's bad, it's like they can't quite plays like why, Like it's it's the thing they notice it's there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the to get a little inside baseball, I guess for the Game Awards, I I feel that because we're talking about we're talking about who won game awards awards, not our personal awards. Yeah, there's some categories that I think just like I don't know if collectively games journalists who are the ones who vote these have like an understanding of some of these things the way they should, like maybe like certain individuals do, but like I would say, like sound design music is another one. Game Direction is a really weird award for me because it basically it's like, well what does that mean?
Speaker 3: And very rare direct a game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And usually what ends up happening is like best Game Direction also ends up going to the Game of the Year or something like that. Like usually those end up just being the same thing.
Speaker 3: Not always, but oh yeah, I mean did astrobot when actually I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong this year, but it's.
Speaker 3: Like, do we know what that means?
Speaker 1: And what does that like? Like I don't understand what that means. Like when you tell me, like what came in the best Direction this year, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, well, this one went north, that one went you know, Okay, God damn it. Oh best Cardinal Direction. I'm thinking, no, I get that too, Like I mean, it happens with like the Academy Awards too, which I pay considerably less attention to. But it's like, sure, not that, not that I know these things, you know, Like if I was vote, I don't vote for the Game Awards. It's like I think game Spot does, but it's like very specific people who do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we none of us vote for that.
Speaker 4: To be fair, If I sat.
Speaker 5: Down and was like best direction, I don't know. I just vote for lower lion and laser eyes and then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I'm sure there's at least some truth to that, or at least I mean, or at least in your view of what how like, because like I guess, the way I see it is cohesive. Like I always talk about this. When I think a game is the most effective is when every single element of that game is working in tandem with one another. Sure, And like I think that's that can sometimes, and that's different for everyone because somebody might just like a good story, sure, and a story can exist separately from how the game plays, and people have different opinions of that and that's fine.
Speaker 2: It's all subjective.
Speaker 3: And to me, it's like, how is the narrative of the game game complimenting the way it's played. How is the way it's played feeding back into the narrative, into the themes, into the design, Like they all have to be cohesive, including the music. And that's what makes games as a medium so much different than other things. Of course, like when I watch a movie, I want those things to interlock, but there's something different in games about like all these sort of specialties and mediums and understandings overlapping and working with another, which is why I always kind of lean towards games like lower lyon Laser Eyes or like Allen Wake two or even Psychoonots too. Those are the games that were my game of the year over the past few years.
Speaker 1: And it's like, right, we're like, you know, going back to Monald Fantasy, that is a game that, while I think has amazing stuff, it also is like way too bloated. Yeah, has too many things could have easily been trimmed down, Like as far as a direction goes like that, that's too.
Speaker 3: For a game to be considered for.
Speaker 2: Am I And that actually Final Fantasy seven remake was.
Speaker 3: That was one of my issues with the game where I felt like the game was actually like grinding again itself at times where it's like it was like its tone of certain scenes was at oz or the agency that the players or the character should have been in, and it was like, this is not making sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Tam put it well when he said like it's it's nah. It was either Tam or Michael who said it to me. Where they said it was like they went and they went down and they wrote a bunch of ideas on the whiteboard and then they said, so, which one should we do? And then they just circled everything and said all of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And you're like, uh yeah, so I don't know, so I guess, Like, but that's the thing, is like direction, It's the fact that each of us here have different ideas of what that could be and what that means.
Speaker 5: But I think like right sound design in particular is always like a weird one for me because I feel like a lot of times it is the game with the most sound design or like wow, the gun sound effects sound incredible, when it's like there there's not there's no artistry to that.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of artistry that goes into that, but I feel like there's.
Speaker 5: A silent Hill had a uh like a like a deft hand with how it was using its sound I think, and it was yeah in a way that like like I feel like the help the first Hill Blade. To be fair, I didn't play a whole lot of the second one because I just did not enjoy it. But I really liked the first one, and that had really good sound design, Like it was it felt very different from what other games were doing at the time. I think that was one of the first games that had like three D by narrow audio or whatever and the way the voices would talk to you, and I felt like there was just more of that from what I played into, which was still good, but I think about how yeah, like you're saying, sound, Hill's sound design like literally fucked with me for eighteen hours straight.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 1: Going off of sound, it was already game music that really stood out to you. This year, I was listening to the min Max podcast and they did one where they just had their like music category, and I forgot how much it just enjoy listening to like game music, and I was like, oh man, yeah, yeah, yeah, even if the game sucks, sometimes I can just have a banger soundtrack.
Speaker 5: The track that really sticks out this year is one that I did not like it first, and I was so confounded by was the It's one of the battle themes in metaphor with like.
Speaker 3: The the Esperanto.
Speaker 5: I love that I came around on it, but it's no, I'm like it was a jam. But I was like when it first, I was like, I mean to speak on direction, you know, I was like, what direction have they taken this in?
Speaker 4: I don't know if the world is ready for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's an adjustment period where you're just like, I don't know about this, and then yeah, by the end it kind of like whether you wanted to or not.
Speaker 3: It embraces you and you're like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Struggling, embraces you and shouts in your ear.
Speaker 3: There's a game called Withering Rooms, which may have been my answer for the previous question of like, if there's a game that I would have liked to put in my time. I mean, my actually answer probably would have been Athometers. But Withering Rooms has a really unique soundtrack that's kind of hard to explain, only because it kind of tiptoes on like like chill Step, but it has but still has like a eerie fantasyiness to it because the game is a fantasy horror game. But I'm like kind of off taken. I'm like I was taken off guard a few times by like how like kind of whimsy.
Speaker 2: The soundtrack was.
Speaker 3: It felt very distinct, but there's no particular song that got me.
Speaker 1: Like but just even if the yeah, that game I think with Rooms.
Speaker 3: Has a good soundtrack, cool, It's like it's one of those soundtracks that like, unlike where I was talking about like cohesion and things interlocking, it doesn't really interlock with the vibe or the stack of the game at all, but in a way it adds to it because it feels so like I I'm a fan of of extremes and like Oxymorons, so they playing a game that is like very was quite scary, very stressful, very realistic in its graphics, but then you have a soundtrack that's kind of like more bubbly at times. It doesn't really make a lot of sense. I actually really dug it so with ingram Rooms, that would be my answer, okay, but nothing else is really popping out to me other than the Stoker two soundtrack, which is at times like still like yeah, droning SYNTHI tension that you could find in like most movie trailers, but I feel like it's used sparingly in Stalker two, so when it does come in, it feels good. Yeah, how about you, I think so reload.
Speaker 1: Actually, there's a lot of those tracks I don't want.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that guy's name Lotus Juice. Yeah, I just woke up. I'm gonna brush my teeth. Oh, I'm out of orange juice. I gotta go to the store. There's got to cash a check.
Speaker 1: There's a TikTok where it's like that track, but it's just a guy being like, YO want casey casey me in Georgia just say that to each other all the time.
Speaker 3: I act.
Speaker 1: I actually am not as big a fan of the the remixed tracks because I'm like, they don't sound as good as the original. But there's a couple of new tracks on that game that I really fuck with. Colier Night, which is the new track that played at nighttime. I'm like, ah, I could just listen to this only but it's a it's a bop. But but at the same time, I'm muscle like, you know, it's it's it feels kind of weird to put a Persona song on there because you're like, yeah, you know, it's par for the course, a part for the course.
Speaker 3: They're gonna, they're gonna even even metaphor changed it up, and it's like, exactly right. It's still managed to swoon.
Speaker 4: Jake over a friend of mine who was visiting this past weekend. I got him into uh.
Speaker 5: Person five and then he played four and he's playing three now nice, And he's just been listening to the music that he's made a playlist. He's gotten his whole family into it, his girlfriend, like everyone just loves.
Speaker 4: The Persona music now, and I'm like, what are.
Speaker 3: Me get it?
Speaker 5: Because the music's really good, it's approachable, but like it's just so bizarre to like show up at you know, and they're listening listening to That's how.
Speaker 3: I am with two games, which is Paradise Killer and Kadamar Demosi. Like sometimes I recommend people listen to the soundtrack more than I actually recommend the games and shows, even though I think Paradise Killer Andkada Mari Demosi are like some of the best games I've ever played in my life, But the Paradise Killer soundtrack is one of those things where I know people who own that soundtrack who have never.
Speaker 2: Played the game.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sure, okay, don't see here.
Speaker 3: Also shout out to Breeze with you that song on the Paradise Killer soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, masterpiece. All right, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna We're gonna switch gears for a moment. What is your favorite experience of the year does not have to be video game related.
Speaker 3: I was about the sales like seeing Megalis and Falling.
Speaker 1: Asleepe That was going to be mine, So I'll pick a different one. But one of mine was seeing.
Speaker 3: You Can Do.
Speaker 5: An incredible experience because I slept for forty minutes of that movie, so you know.
Speaker 3: And you admiss a very pivotal scene and love still man leave an impression.
Speaker 4: I was actually talking about that with some of the other night just coming up.
Speaker 3: I have one, okay, playing Big Buck Hunter in London.
Speaker 1: No, but but that's a good one. That is a really good one I have.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: I don't know if any of our listeners know about the context of this. Did we talk I've ever talked about it, because I think if we haven't, we should. But uh, I'm not, but it is at least video game adjacent where it's like, of course, big Buck Hunters existed in like all of our lives. Yeah, for as long as we've been alive, there's always the arcade keminet.
Speaker 2: Where you shoot deers and the women.
Speaker 3: Go to an arcade, you go to a bowling alley, you go to the big the go karts and uh, all three of us who are on this podcast right now, we're in London, Ontario one point, and we spent months for a time at a pub by ourselves, and at the pub was a Big Buck Hunter arkide cabinet. And I got to give a shout out to two people. One of them is Alex Sheha. Who is he?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't know how to describe this individual indescribable, indescribable, but he hates ketchup. He's a he's good for he hates ketchup.
Speaker 4: He loves ketch up. I heard, yeah, I got that wrong.
Speaker 3: So if you if you're listening to this and you know who Alex is, number one ketchup lover for life, hashtag catchup lover for life. He looks at that.
Speaker 2: He has a he's following that hashtag hot dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically the mayor of Chicago and UH, and we also I have to give a shout out to Nick Espelettas Uh who is friend of ours and cool Cat who also portrayed Leon Kennedy and Resubal two and Resumeal four remake. And I don't know how this started other than we were like sitting at a bar looking at the big buck Hunter machine and I think what I think it might have been new or somebody was like, oh, there's something about a tournament. Yeah. They had like a QR code and they're like, yeah, log in, And then we found out we opened the gates to this whole thing we didn't know about. It was like the International Championship a big buck Hunter. And for the rest of that week and we went to this bar several times just to play a big buck hun her. And again that had no meaning to me. Something doesn't hunt, like doesn't like guns in real life. I now go to bars see if there's a big.
Speaker 2: Buck Hunter, not even to play it, just to be like, oh, I.
Speaker 1: Was like looking up because you can buy I think it's like one up arcade who like do rebo arcades? You can buy for your home. They sell a big Buck Hunter one. Yeah, and I was like, seven hundred bucks, maybe I could get that expense for the office.
Speaker 4: Oh, we should expect that. Do we have extra budget, Let's get that in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean, but it's one of those things where it's like it was the right amount of people at the right time, a thing that was not anything I would ever look twice at has left an impression on me for the rest of my life. It was incredible.
Speaker 4: So big Bug, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: I've thought more about Big Buck Hunter this last year than you collectively in my entire life.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: I don't want to say how far we actually went, and considering to going to this championship, we thought, well, the reason I don't want to say it is because we're going to have to do it actually, but like it.
Speaker 4: Occupied a lot of my brain space.
Speaker 5: I was reaching out to people to be like, hey, can we make anything work here?
Speaker 3: And I'm really bummed out because there's a bar a that I love here in SF that I started going to recently and it feels like the perfect bar that would have it, but they down't, but they don't, and I buying one. You want to here?
Speaker 4: You go, I've been going there, send that tripod back and we.
Speaker 3: Could pay for it, but I'm kind of like hoping to get good with the owner. Who I've who's been, who's there every time I go? And to one day just be like, if you want haves, he's on a big.
Speaker 4: One day, we walk into Stookies AND's just.
Speaker 3: He's nineteen twenties theme bar where it's like they show black and white films. They replace the screen with a big book on her in the corner.
Speaker 4: Everyone hates it except for you.
Speaker 3: I have there every fucking day, bartenders wearing up shirts and bow ties.
Speaker 5: And they're like, honestly, I can get rid of it, but Kurt's making us so much money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's where we're gonna start having the tournaments.
Speaker 2: Yes is there?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's mine?
Speaker 3: What about you? That's a good one.
Speaker 1: My uh okay, So we mentioned Thatopolis Hunter.
Speaker 3: I think for me.
Speaker 1: So close second was seeing Health that hell that.
Speaker 3: Was this year was Oh yeah, I guess was February.
Speaker 1: February that concert fucking rule, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And then everyone also saw a pixel Grip and became star fucking obsessed with the sing Yes, who I saw at a CVS my two pace and I just had to go up to them and.
Speaker 2: Be like, hey, are you a are you a cigarete? Pixel grip?
Speaker 3: We love you.
Speaker 2: I made a total ass on myself. A great conversation.
Speaker 3: We appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a close second, But I think probably my number one was going to Japan to help my brother move.
Speaker 3: It's just a really cool experience.
Speaker 1: I forget if I've talked about that on the podcast, but yeah, I had to go help my brother move to Yokohama and it was cool, especially because it was very different from a typical Japan experience because a lot of it was like all right, let's go buy you like a shelf, like yeah, like a let's like I kind of got to like see what.
Speaker 3: It was more like to sense of normality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the normality, the day to day sort of like well, okay, like what would the route be to walk to the nearest grocery store and we're gonna go, We're gonna see how long it takes to get on the train to your school, and like doing stuff like that was it was like.
Speaker 3: A really unique You're not there for work. I'm not there for work, You're not even there for really fun.
Speaker 1: No, I mean we did have fun, but you know what I'm saying, but yeah, exactly vacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: So it was a real unique experience and it was super cool and I'm I want to go back before he he comes back to the US.
Speaker 4: I have a runner up that also takes place in Japan and.
Speaker 5: Say that I don't think I've talked about because we haven't done this podcast since that since I was there.
Speaker 4: I was there for work, but there was a Rolling Stones bar.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: That someone was like you have to go to that. We have to go to this Rolling Stones bar and it's.
Speaker 3: A good Sorry.
Speaker 4: In my head, I was like, it's gonna be corny, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Going to an American band or I mean they're not even American.
Speaker 5: But like style bar, Western style bar, you know.
Speaker 4: And I was like, but I was like, okay, you're really recommending it. So we walk in.
Speaker 5: It's crowded, there's one chair available, and there's three dudes sitting there and the bartender asked us how many, and we're like three and he.
Speaker 4: Looks at these three people. I think they were Australian and he's.
Speaker 5: Like, get the fuck out and they were like what and they're like, we're waiting for our friend and he's like, you can't save seats here, get the fuck out. So they like left with the tit with like their tails in between their legs and he's like, yeah, come sit down right, here's right here.
Speaker 4: So we like all sat down. We're like did he just kick them out? I'm like yeah, I think he.
Speaker 5: Did, and we're like all right, well works for us. Also didn't clean up, so there was like sixteen empty beer cans in front of us as we sit down here, and I was like, oh, he'll probably clear. That did not clear. That was there till two am. Incredible anyway, it's just playing Rolling Stone song. I like the Rolling Stones quite a bit. I don't know, there's some albums I really loved by the Rolling Stones, and one of my favorite songs of all time is Gimme Shelter, which I know is like kind of an obvious pick, but that song gets me. So, I you know, we got drinks and I called the bartender over and I was like, it's like, do you take requests if they're Rolling Stones? And he's like huh no and walked away, and I was like, all right, that's fine. I mean, you know, is what it is. He comes back ten minutes later and he's like, but what would it be? And I was like, gimme shelter off, let it bleed, and he's like I can't do that, and like walks away. Fifteen minutes later, I see him like, reach down, pull down this DVD, put it in, and I see him like going through a DVD menu and I see gimme shelter and he looks at me and winks and plays it and then that's good.
Speaker 3: That is gonna be my horedible mom. If anybody ever asks me for something, I'm just gonna constantly say like nope, can't help you, and then do it. Yeah, really and like nope.
Speaker 5: He also liked to describe him he was like he he was like an old Japanese hippie, you know, like.
Speaker 4: Was the love the Rolling Stones.
Speaker 5: Very excited to be running this bar at four am, even though you know he like to kick people out and told people know, yeah and I.
Speaker 4: You three good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that does a good one.
Speaker 3: That was a really good one. Okay, how many seas we're in the bar in total?
Speaker 4: Twelve?
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds about right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was small. I love that about Japan. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if it's full, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: There's another bar right next to him.
Speaker 1: That's equally as cool in its own unique, weird way.
Speaker 4: In my case, if it's full, doesn't matter. He just fucking booted them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one of my biggest problems with it. I mean it's like, my favorite bar is my favorite bar in SF is small, but I it's like one of my biggest issues where bars are huge here at least, like I mean, like like you know, like the teeth of a fuck ton of space, and it's just I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, it just feels silly.
Speaker 3: It just feels goofy, and I it just it just means you're only going to get more people who are more allowed. Yeah, just like.
Speaker 5: It's I even think like part of the reason I like San Francisco is that at least there are small bars are like I feel like they're all like so big, which is fine, I guess, but like, I don't know. My favorite bar at the Nag's Head is like cozy little place.
Speaker 3: I think it has less seats than Stookies, does I think it might?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but both two small bars and two different neighborhoods and in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Okay, going back to games, Sure, what is a is not a top ten? But you're still thinking about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, like not at top ten by my standards.
Speaker 1: But your standards. Like you're like, this wouldn't be my top ten. I don't even know if I necessarily recommend it. Maybe you would, but you're like, I'm still thinking about it.
Speaker 4: Look at the games I've played this year.
Speaker 3: I can go first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, guys are thinking, So mine would be the Alone in the Dark reboot that came out a sad still because the studio actually shut down. Oh I don't know if I even knew that either they shut down or like they had a ton of layoffs, like they're that team is not getting a chance to make a sequel, which I think sucks because that game has is not I wouldn't say amazing or even great, but it it. There was a lot of passion behind it. There was a lot of really cool ideas, and I was like, man, if this team just got the chance to refine this and like get another crack at it to make a sequel, it would have it could have been something like.
Speaker 3: Really special I still want to play it. It's just I don't know if it's been less than forty I don't know if i've seen on sale for less than like forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, you know what, that's that's fair. That's difficult. And it's not like you're not like, oh, I want to support the devs because they're not even around anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, like.
Speaker 1: That, that game I think is a really cool, like just like little little five six hour experience. You know, it's very it's very resonuble to kind of you know it and it's set up and you know, you have like two you start to have two protagonists where you play through the same story with alternate scenes. Recommend playing the woman. Her story makes way more sense as like Jody Comber and I love Jody Comber fantastic versus David Harbor, who's fine in it.
Speaker 3: But they're both, I mean, they're both fantastic. But it's also I'm pretty sure that game was announced without having actors. I think at the very beginning at once, and then at some point they're like, fuck, we need a thing, we need to we don't know if this is going to sell put a face.
Speaker 1: I think that game's just got like a really cool style. You know, they really lean into the whole like nineteen twenties, you know, thirties sesthetic.
Speaker 2: And with a big buck hunter machine.
Speaker 3: There's the big machine in the corner. You just ignore that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can play it the whole thing. It's really weird.
Speaker 1: But uh, but that yeah, that game is like stuck with me, especially the ending, which I've been wanting to tell people about, but I've like held.
Speaker 3: Off because it's good or because it's just like it's so weird.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's great. The ending takes this weird left field turn that I like fucking love, and but it's like it's like the man, I don't know. It's so good and I've been like wanting to tell people about it, but like I also don't want to ruin that experience for people if they do plan to play it. But I'm just like that that ending in particular stuck with me, with me of like, oh my god, that's crazy. And it's not that long of a game, Like I said, it's like a four to five hour experience where it's like which is a.
Speaker 3: Huge selling point for me, but it's just no, I want to play before.
Speaker 1: For sure, because it's like, yeah, like the combat like that kind of sucks, and like, you know, it was a little buggy when it came out. I don't know if it's been fixed or not, but like it's playable. It's just it's just not a game that I could like easily, like unequivocally recommend, especially at a at a higher price point, which is a real bummer. But I am still thinking about that game, and and I wish it had gotten a chance to uh, that team had gotten a chance to make another one interesting.
Speaker 3: That's that's a good I mean, that's a good question, a good good answer. I'm actually struggling with this one quite a bit. I got one go.
Speaker 4: Hate to say it. Oh, I know this is Stellar Blade.
Speaker 3: Oh I suspected I played.
Speaker 5: I played a lot of Stellar Blade. I was covering it, and I probably played more than I needed to. I enjoyed it, yeah, because I think it did some things very well, but it also did a lot very poorly in a way where like I hope that team, it sounds like they will it's the opportunity to take another.
Speaker 4: Stab at it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I thought that game was almost good, almost really good.
Speaker 4: But didn't quite hit the mark.
Speaker 1: I feel like I should check that game out just because of how much it is it is aping or like homaging near like it's like it's like like I was like, oh, this is this is just near, like straight up like the music and the.
Speaker 5: Combat's very different, say the Near because I think that's probably why I was able to get more into that, because it's very well. I thought it was very Soul's like, but I remember our reviewer Imron disagreed with that, which I guess I kind of understood why he was disagreeing with it, but for me, it felt very Soul's like, but flashier like some yeah, some some bayonetaisms.
Speaker 4: I guess, sure, yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought that game was interesting and I had like, I felt pretty good about it. I was like, you know, this game might actually be my top ten. And I returned to it because the Near DLC came out and they sent code for that, and I was like, oh, check it out, and jumping back in.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh no, I don't want to play this game. I do not want to get back into this game at all.
Speaker 1: Them doing a near DLC is really funny, like yeah, full like.
Speaker 5: Also the near director being like, yeah, it's probably a better game than mine, and everyone's like.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, But I mean that that dude, That dude's funny. I am. I feel like I've already mentioned it, but I probably would say Withering Rooms. Okay, Like this is a game that I feel like I've I heard no one talk about. It's not a game that I think is amazing. It didn't make my top ten, but it's at least, like I it has been kind of like my go to. And it's also a genre that I don't normally like. It's a ropelike in a way, so it's just like, I don't know, there's a lot of things going for it that I'm surprised that I like it as much as I do, But I would recommend Withering Rooms. It's kind of janky, it's kind of clunky, uh, but like it does all of the right Like you know, I'm fucking exhaust about people talk about every fucking game of the Plan being a soul's like, but I do think this game does it in a way without overdoing it. It's like just enough of it to like make it feel distinct and not like you have to if you die, you got to go and get your currency back and all this shit's not like that, it uses it in a more interesting way. Yeah, I don't know, that's kind of that's a hard question. I've had a really hard time the like I was gonna say, like because I reviewed it and I gave it a seven was Harold halib it, but I hadn't really thought about it as much. It kind of like pops my head every once in a while, but like more as like like oh, like that was a thing that I feel like started really really well and then just did not know what it was doing by the time an end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say a game that didn't make my top ten only because I hadn't finished it, but now would be in my top ten.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's the question. Should I wait?
Speaker 5: No, no, you could you could uh mouthwashing, I think through mouth washing and I thought that was really good. I thought that did some told a very interesting story about responsibility in a way that I think, uh is shocking at times. I think it's Yeah, I don't want to say an, I don't want say too much, but I have some really memorable moments that are written in a way that you wouldn't expect.
Speaker 3: I played the demo and it did not hook me. But ever since the come out and i've seen or heard people like you talk about it, it's made me want to go back to it and pick it up.
Speaker 5: But I think the most detrimental thing that I've heard about it is people saying it's really scary, because it's I didn't think it was scary at all.
Speaker 3: There's like, but it's scary in one way only because like it's just so few things scare me with Barmber and I'm always looking for it.
Speaker 5: People say it was one of the scariest games I've ever played. I did not feel that at all. It is very uncomfortable, not necessarily what it shows, but what it doesn't show. There's some like very uncomfortable themes that characters kind of dance around. You really have to kind of look into to get out, Like I missed the very big thing that someone was like, that's why she said this, and I was like, oh god.
Speaker 4: And when you start to like put that.
Speaker 5: Story together, it's it's it's very dark, but I think it's more like existential dread in a way. Okay, Yeah, I don't know if you'd like it. If if the beginning, if the demo didn't impress you, like the demo, you probably really like it, John Luke.
Speaker 1: I and it's only like three hours I have bought it, and I'm like just waiting for the right night to play it. Yeah, Like I'm like, I'm you know, I heard it's like a two and a half hour like you can do it in one setting, which is what me and Georgia want to do. And I'm like, we got to be in the right took me like four oh okay, but either way, we're we haven't had the right evening where it fit it feels right to I have like about where we want to.
Speaker 3: My Steam wish list is growing, which is uncharacteristic for me, but it's because I'm not actually buying games recently. I'm just trying to like, oh okay, curate a list that I want to get to. Yes, but there's lots of games on those lists that I'm like really eager to play. One of them being I think was what is it called Closing Shift? Is that the game I was like really excited about. Oh yes, I played the demo of that, I fuck it, loved it.
Speaker 8: But I'm waiting to get it, and it's I don't know, I feel like I should if mouthwashing is only yeah, three ish fourish hours, I should probably just I should probably just throw in just get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That God that Yeah, there's one moment.
Speaker 5: Once again I won't spoil, but like it is all about someone taking responsibility and him avoiding it as much as he can. And there's like they do some really clever like gameplay mechanics of like him refusing you the player, refusing to come to terms with that responsibility in a way that feels so shitty.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's.
Speaker 3: There was there a part where you're like roaming through halls like these tanker sort of hall things I remember like in the demo, like sort of I don't know, whatever it is. The demo didn't leave an impression and I need to just go back to it and just hunker up and dig in, wash my mouth with it. Excellent.
Speaker 1: What about games that didn't come out this year that you played? Are there any games that came out that didn't come out this year that you played that you played that stand out to you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I've got a big one.
Speaker 5: Okay, I finally played Hollow Night from start to finish, which is a game that I tried to play through so many goddamn times and it didn't click with me. I literally had to force myself for like the first ten hours. Once I got into it, I think it's a very well made game. I think it's I love the art style kind of there's issues I have with the art style, but once I got into it, I was like, Okay, I get it. I see why people are excited for Silk Song. I see why people love this game. There are things I really love about it. But I think still at the end of the day, for me, I think it was a little too obtuse, which is weird as someone who fucking loves Souls games, but.
Speaker 4: I think for me, it was just harder for me to like buy in.
Speaker 5: There's something I I know I've mentioned before on this podcast, but like one of the issues I have with other Souls like games is when they like I trust from software and their obscurity and a too sort of game design in a way where it's like, all, buy into this, but when another developer does it that I don't have that sort of attachment to, I find it very hard and I think That's what I was running into with Hollow Night, where it's like, yeah, it's a Soul's game.
Speaker 4: You explore, but like will it pay off, because in.
Speaker 5: The Soul's games, I know it will, right, But I'm glad I finally played it, and I can say that I'm excited for Silk Song.
Speaker 3: Finally happened all this time and now you can have the disappointment of never getting it.
Speaker 5: But see, I'm not that I don't care that much. I'm gonna play it when it comes out. I was hoping they'd like finally announce it or like reveal a date right as I finished it, and I'd be like, oh cool, I only had to wait.
Speaker 4: Like a month.
Speaker 3: I got one, you got one. There's so there's I mean, I I'll just start with my I know.
Speaker 2: My answer is Planescape Torment.
Speaker 3: Oh, that game that came so good, so I played it for the first time this year. It's one of those games I've heard about my tireful you know, like the past, like like as somebody who loves narrative and loves writing, every time you fucking the best, like the top of fucking list is just like one of the best games I ever written. Planescape Torment and I finally like just hunkered down and played it this year. Was that before you played Fallout or oh it was before okay, the original Fallout.
Speaker 1: Which I would say the original fall is not the best written game, but I still think it's I think it's really good, great, I still think it's right.
Speaker 3: I think it's like surprising how like it holds up. Yeah, I mean Planescape Tournament did come out after, but uh, you could definitely tell Fallout was made by I don't know how to put it, like it definitely doesn't have itself together as much as something like Plane Sha a little bit. Yeah, you're a little more unrefined. Yeah, and you can tell also that they were like kind of like just shooting from the hip on a lot of things for that game. But Planescape Torment as a game, if you want to talk all games that I think about fucking constantly, that's the top of this. I think I think about it. I was thinking about it this week, I was thinking about booting up this week. I was like, I think about it all the fucking time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It has one of the best side quests I have ever played in my fucking life. I almost have to tell you where you like you it's because it's one of those things you can literally just walk by it, it doesn't matter. But there's a part of that game where your main character goes to basically like a brothel and like you have to and you realize that every single working girl, which is like ten of them, you can talk to each one of them, learn everything about their lives that you want to learn, and that they all have beef with each other in some way. But then on top of that, they each have basically like their own quest. Each girl has their own quest that like takes you in completely different directions around the map. And I spent like almost ten hours of my like fifty hour playthrough on that quest by itself, completely just because I wanted to meet these girls. Know with their lives, you learn so much about them and what they do. It's so good. So Planscape Torment's the game I played this year that's not from this year that I think was like, I like, I can imagine myself if I had played it when it came out on PC that it could have been like, yeah, easily fucking like when my favorite games. Yeah, it's definitely esoteric su and of its time for sure, that CRPG world, but I think it's running on the same engine as like Balder's Gate, the Infinity yea, the Infinity Engine all that. So if you're able tolerate that, you can tolerate this. The other answer would be frost Punk Oh yeah, yeah. So I played Frostpunk one for the first time this year, and I fucking became obsessed with it, and I like rejuvenated my my love of RTS, of the RTS genre so much so that I end up reviewing the second game. But yeah, so those are the two and then the last one of Shadow Run for the Superintendent Hell okay, in which I started playing I should check that out last week. For literally no fucking reason. I like going through my an Bernick retro handheld and I just was like going through I didn't have a lot of superintend games growing up, and I was just like going through them, and I clicked on Shadow Run. I think I even looked up a list like, oh, best Super n S games, and the Shadow Run was like on that list. I was like, what the fuck is this? If you want to talk about like CRPGs, it's like CRPG Light for the Super Nintendo. But like honed in and narrowed down in a way that's like I don't think I've ever really seen done as streamlines since, and it hits all the right fucking stereotypical CRPG like wake up, I don't know who you are, Like, work your way through.
Speaker 4: I feel like I love of the Year.
Speaker 5: I get very close to just like going all in on shadow On, Like I have all of them on Steam and everyone's like, yeah, these.
Speaker 4: Games are so good and played one. The only one I've played was the Xbox three sixty multiplayer one.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. I kind of liked that. I like that.
Speaker 4: I like the hell out of that.
Speaker 5: Now people, I understand now why people didn't cool ideas.
Speaker 3: But you got a sword. It's fucking sick man.
Speaker 4: Knowing nothing about Shadow Run and picking that up like sick.
Speaker 3: I want to play the I've always wanted to play the new ones, but I was just a little not like turned off. I turn based combat. It's just it's never at the right time in the movie.
Speaker 1: I think all three of them are great, but if you had to pick one, I would say shadow Fall Dragonfall, which is the second one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shadow Fall is the kill zone game.
Speaker 4: Then shadow Fall.
Speaker 3: I think it's Dragonfall, dragona Dragon. There's like shadow Fall, and then there's like no Jesus Christ, shadow Run. There's Dragonfall, and then there's like Hong Kong.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, there's there's just Shadow Run Returns, and then there's the Dragon Fall, and then there's Hong Kong.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're all good, but I think, uh, Dragonfall was my personal favorite of the three. But Returns is cool because it actually has a bunch of characters and nods from the SNAs version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the the SNAs version is very like, very quirky, but also like it's very cool to play a game on the Superintendent from the era that has like I don't just like is as text heavy and as conversation heavy as it was. Like of course he had RPGs and I a fuck ton of JRPGs on that console, but this one it just, I don't know, it was like really inventive and cool to play a game like today having the context of where CRPGs have gone in terms of like Discolsium and you know, Bowlers, Gay three and all that jazz, and then play this on the SNASTS and you're like, holy shit, Like they had this down back then. Also, like there's a mysterious dog and that's what I'm going to say in that in that first game, and then there's one for the Sake of Genesis, which is a much more open ended game, but not I didn't. I'm not liking it as much. I'm playing both at the same time. Anyways, that's my answer. My answer is Planescape Torment, Planescape Torment. I want to fucking talk to everyone about Planescape Torment.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, I have a couple. I wouldn't necessarily say I enjoyed the game, but I enjoyed the experience of finally playing it, which was Residaval Code Veronica. Uh, the last game I had never played.
Speaker 3: Do you play this early in the year right?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it was like the first thing I remember being like buckle up. I mean I've talked about on the podcast, but like, boy, that game is like the original sin to all of Resident Evals.
Speaker 3: Bullshit, Oh it is. It is like the seed for what it becomes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like like like five is like a direct sequel to that game in many ways, it's like and then six is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the game is bad.
Speaker 1: It's not a good game, but I was very glad to finally have like been like and I can now say I have played it.
Speaker 3: I think half that game is good. There are good elements. I think half the game is really good, and then the other it's got some Basically, there's like a boss fight on where it's like it's like if like you can soft lock yourself in that boss fight, yes, one, yes, but I took a lot of effort to make sure I didn't. I had to replay it. I had to like start from the beginning because I didn't. I didn't know that was a thing, so that I got to also is like I literally can't do this, Like I'm funcked, Like there's no way.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, and then that game story is.
Speaker 3: Hot, garbage doesn't age well, no, no idea. They're gonna handle the worst of all the resid evils.
Speaker 9: Probably there's like parts of it for how stupid it is that I like, but yeah, nor that it simply is yes, wrong, It's like how they handle it is bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Though Homebody, which I've also talked about the podcast that came out I.
Speaker 3: Think last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that is a cool horror puzzle game that is like stuck with me that I still think you should play it.
Speaker 3: I haven't played it. Have you you played it? What do you think of it? I don't thought it was okay, okay, I thought I thought it was I thought conception it was really cool. I really liked it aesthetically. You know this about me, sure, But I have trouble with young people. You do. I have a really I knew that was gonna be because it's a game about young kidle's and I and that is always the toughest part where it's like, I really because it's funny, because like twenty Century Kid is the opposite where it's like that's about like a nine year old or something, and I fucking love playing exact kid. But second they turn thirteen year like the mom they become a teenager and be like, I fucking don't want to deal with your ship. I've been.
Speaker 1: I mean that is yes, that game is very much about that.
Speaker 3: So Homebody is like I think conceptually and like aesthetically is really cool and like mechanically is really cool. But I did struggle with giving a ship. I can understand that because because the kids.
Speaker 1: Obviously it hit more for me. But with that aspect, but I also I just thought the.
Speaker 3: Whole love the game, like the and they introduced it in a way that genuinely feels like you're like you did something wrong. They do in a really clever way where it's like I'm like, I think I fucked this game up, like one of.
Speaker 1: My yeah, yeah, and and and then like it just comes together where like the like the perfect run you have to do, it's like, oh, it's so satisfying. So that game, I still think is incredible and more people should play it.
Speaker 3: Do not take my word for it, Go enjoy yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, just know that, you know, how do you feel about teens and you know that kind of writing.
Speaker 3: If you don't like teens, don't play this game.
Speaker 1: There was one mark that I was going to mention I think, but I can't remember it. So, oh, you know what, I just played it this weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I just me and Georgia were like, fuck it, what if you just play this? We've never played it before. Case of the Golden Idol. Yeah, it was so good. That's just a wonderful game that like did not want to stop playing. Just going through all of that, and obviously, like one turns out, I mean I already knew this about myself. I just love a good mystery. Yeah, I love I love to solving a good mystery. Any any game where I have to solve something, I'm about it. But on top of that, it was it was not just solving the individual cases. It was also putting the pieces together of like, well, this characters here and they were here, and like figuring out like the arcing overall arcing narrative of the relationships of these people and their lives and the ways intertwining with the Golden Idol. Super cool and fun. So like blasted through the entire game. Did both DLCs as well, which we just did.
Speaker 3: All they're good. They're very good.
Speaker 1: Could be a little hard to go back to because they do like up the difficulty, like it starts at the same level. But it's cool because it actually they both take place in the past, so it's actually about the origins of the Golden Idol and how and it like ends where the main game begins, which is great. So like do you remember the beginning of that game where there's like the two characters you like get to learn more about them.
Speaker 3: It's really cool. I genuinely I like that.
Speaker 1: And and I now have the Return of the Rise of the Golden Idol. I was like, I knew it was going to be a return or revenge or something. I have that loaded up on my iPad, so when I go travel work, we're gonna pull that up and solve some more murdered cases or whatever.
Speaker 5: I played a good amount of that game, but I found it overwhelming after a while. I think, I think I probably needed to like go harder and like take notes and like actually like try to get through it. But I was I was having trouble by by the end of that game, to the point where I was like.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to step away.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, that's how I felt with Oberdin. Sure, especially, Yeah, that's that's one of those games I wish I like could go back and replay with a notebook and really that's how me and Georgia play it. And yeah, but that game overwhelmed me quickly. And I like Live and Die By like mystery fucking genre shit, So I love that game. Even for me, I was like, Okay, all right, not everything could be lower Lionelazer eyes how they unravel his story to you, but that is also But now that you've played, you know you filled half of a notebook playing louralier half of a notebook of playing another game.
Speaker 1: Uh, next question kind of a maybe similar, but I'll give my answer to maybe you see if this jog's anything different? Which is a game that people need to talk about more. It's like, what's a game that you're like, I didn't hear anyone fucking talk about that.
Speaker 2: I know your answer. I think I do.
Speaker 4: I don't have an answer, So tell me what you think it is and that'll be my answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, is that it go on?
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 3: What do you think? I'm thinking you're thinking.
Speaker 4: As I have I talked about it yet, No, not on.
Speaker 3: This podcast, not this particular episode.
Speaker 5: Oh you're gonna say it, and I'm gonna be like, yeah, of course, I don't know Indica. Yeah I needed that. I did some help there. Anyway, I can talk about that in a second if you.
Speaker 3: Talk no, no, no, please talk about India.
Speaker 2: Uh that's actually your answer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's my answer, Thank you. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I actually I feel like people did talk about it. I feel like a lot of people like talked about it in the wrong way. I guess not that there's a right way to talk about it. But I think a lot of it was like, yeah, there's like a prayer button, and like I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, but like people and get it, you know, or maybe.
Speaker 5: Like to be fair, it's very possible that I didn't get it either, but what I got out of it I found very impactful. But I also think, like, probably the reason didn't come to mind is I feel like the reason I enjoyed that game so much was for some personal reasons. Yeah, because like I went to Catholic school, grew up religious, and like, I think the thing that stood out to me was like, like, it sounds corny when you say it, but like you get points that aren't used for anything based on like sort of the uh religious rituals that you perform and like but you're doing it as she's sort of questioning her faith. And I found that pretty interesting because like I'd still go to church even though I didn't believe, you know, I was no.
Speaker 4: Longer invested in any of that.
Speaker 5: I'd still uh, maybe not pray, but I do a lot of those rituals because.
Speaker 3: They were ingrained from a young age, even though I was kind of questioning it.
Speaker 5: And I think the way that like that game sort of explores that side of faith.
Speaker 4: Is is pretty interesting. I hope more people play it.
Speaker 5: I also get why, like a lot of people probably didn't play it or have no interest in playing it because it is like.
Speaker 4: Very slow.
Speaker 5: There are puzzles, but the puzzles are so basic you're not gonna you're not gonna have any.
Speaker 4: Trouble with them. You know.
Speaker 5: There's like like you have to be there, you have to be invested in the premise, and if you're not, I feel like that game is gonna fall flat.
Speaker 3: Okay, Uh, Kurt, do you have one? Oh a game that I play this year that I wish more people talked.
Speaker 1: About or just like you're like, no one, I didn't hear anyone talk about this?
Speaker 3: What the fuck? Hmmm? I can go if you need a minute. I mean the one that's coming to my mind as a game I've mentioned a couple of times, but I am kind of like a little surprised because is the thometers, Like I just think that's a game that like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's that's another one that I think I didn't hear You're the only one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think that game is amazing, but I think like it was an It handled historical elements, like genuine historical elements and delivered them in a way that was like digestible and cool, and also through the lens of this the specific kind of character and handled it was done. You know, it was like it was like and it handles just political conflict and a war torn area and in a moment in time that like felt kind of irrelevant still And I don't know, And that's one of those games that also does a really good job, like speaking a Planescape Torment that like handles stories about people who are lower on the social chain and like handles it, I feel like in a way that feels consider it and careful and and smart. So but I think there's a lot of things working against that game, like in terms of it being like and it's it's an is it's an isometric RPG, but it's not like that team of an RPG, and it's like it's an isometric adventure game, and it's like the adventure is there, but it's not anything to really write home about. It's just it does all these things just well enough. Yeah, So I don't know. I would putthometers also esthetically, it's just is cool. I like the like the the way that like the world feels palpable in a way.
Speaker 1: I saw that game just came out on Xbox, and maybe more people will get a chance to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I feel like that game like kind of flew under the radar, and uh is a really cool touching point for cultural significance because of the historical stuff it touches, but also folklore like actual fantasy and folklore that in these cultures it just does in a way that's like not like hamfested. So yeah, that would probably be my answer. I'm just I'm like, it's a game. I'm like weirdly surprised. Did it really get talked about at all? It feels like that's how it feels to me, Like we didn't. I don't think we reviewed it, Like, I just don't think. I think by the time it came out it was too far gone and in the process in which like, well we didn't get a code for it. I mean, I don't know if that's true, but it didn't just make it through our pipeline somehow. So it's just that happens. We have to prioritize what's important. Yeah, it's impossible to do everything. Yeah, but that game kind of came through and I played it and I was like, holy fuck, like why didn't we you know, it's like, it's too bad that this didn't get through our lens at the right time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine is, uh the lake House. I feel like no one talked about it, and I kind of get it because it's a It's a DLC a year later for a game that you know, as beloved as it is, didn't sell as you know, much as I'd wanted to. You know, it's it's still kind of more of a niche game in a lot of ways. But I think that DLC's so fucking good, Like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Heard have you played it yet?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: Wanting to talk?
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you've played enough to at least know kind of where it goes. Did you get to the part where there is like a like a corkboard with a bunch of like notes on it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think.
Speaker 1: So where they're doing the different experiments.
Speaker 5: Yes, they're trying to Yeah, that that speaking of something that's very relevant.
Speaker 3: To very relevant that thing.
Speaker 1: Reading that entire board is the hardest I have laughed all year. It's so fucking funny. Like the writing is so on point, like it is like as a as a Alan Wake fan, as a control fan, and just as like, uh, it's like the.
Speaker 5: Night was dark dark pulled out dark in the dark, in the darkly dark dark.
Speaker 1: It's fucking incredible, and like yes, and then like the thing they are making fun of is like so like poignant.
Speaker 3: It like to like what's happening right now.
Speaker 4: With genuinely terrifying moments.
Speaker 1: Yes, also like really scary. My only criticism is I think the last boss fight kind of sucks. But other than that, I was like, this is great. This is a wonderful little experience and I had a fantastic time playing it. And Kurt, you need to play it.
Speaker 2: I know, I do.
Speaker 3: I need to play it.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you you disappoint your dad like that.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, I may. I mean there's another reality where he is actually my dad.
Speaker 4: I think you'd still disappoint him.
Speaker 3: And exists in a video where he had to tell me he wasn't.
Speaker 2: But I know the truth.
Speaker 1: So before we wrap up, we talked about the beginning, but I do want to at least give us an opportunity to all talk a little bit if we want to about our personal game of the year, which is all the same games.
Speaker 3: And the Laser Eye. How did that happen? I like, sometimes I think back, because.
Speaker 1: It is your fault because you're the one who played it, and yeah, yeah, you had told me, I probably would have just missed it. Speaking of games that not enough people talked about. Fucking Christ, No, not enough people talk about. Every time I bring up Laura Line and the Laser Eye to people like no, Like when I was at the Game Award.
Speaker 3: I mean, I said, that's your answer for games, and that was also that was gonna be my answer. No, And then I was like, but I've like, I've talked about Laura Lins.
Speaker 1: But every time I would go to the Game Awards and I would like, or I was at the Game Awards and you know, I'm hanging out and people are like, oh, what was your game of the year.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, Laura il laser and.
Speaker 1: They would either be like, I've never heard of it, or they had heard of it but were like I don't know what it is. And I was like, what are we doing as a society? Our systems have failed us?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I fucking reviewed that ship. I mean, did the work you did the work I did my best. I talked about it non stop. I talk about I like was like visiting home in upstate New York and my family, who doesn't know anything about really what I'm doing about, like we're curious. We're like, well, Curt, what do you think the game of the year will be? And somebody next to me will be like Blackmith will Call, and somebody else in the room was like Astrobot and I was like Laura Lai and the Laser Eyes, and everyone was like, so did you play the call? Dude? Damn it like and it's like and then I have to sit there omni.
Speaker 5: I know. So, I mean I think for me at the end of the day, the reason why that was my game of the Year is because it is the It was the only game on my list that I was thinking about when I wasn't playing it to the point where like it became obsessive.
Speaker 3: You know, and like I don't know.
Speaker 5: There are definitely games like that that come around every so often, and usually they are puzzle games. But like the way this had like burrowed into my skull where it was just like I'd be working and I'd like, oh my god, I think I know the answer, you know, and it's like run back and try and it worked, and I'm like fucking jumping up and down and I'm like fuck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, like it's it's I mean.
Speaker 3: But like the opposite of that, too, is where you get so far in that game where you start to predict the answers to the puzzles yes, and then you realize that the game is has been deliberately feeding information to you in such a way where you're like, it's not like I get it now, but it's like when you solve a puzzle without actually having to think about it, and you realize like, oh wait a minute, there's a fucking there's a thing that's happening. There's there's a thing like.
Speaker 1: You figured it out.
Speaker 4: Is so brilliant where it's just like.
Speaker 5: It starts out you can You're like like you get there and it's like how do I know this? And I'm like I do know this, though, and then you go to the next one's like I know this too.
Speaker 4: It's got to be.
Speaker 3: This, it's got to be this, and you realize information you're like the entire game. Yeah, yeah, and that's where like that's where I talk about you know, like the things for me when that make a game of the year for me is always it's like the interlocking of every single thing that it's like lifting that is that can only be done in the medium of games in this specific medium doesn't have to change the fucking doesn't have to change the game. It doesn't have to like reinvent the wheel. It's like you're interlocking every concept into one thing. And that game is like doesn't just do it and it's puzzles and it's art. It doesn't just do it and it's writing. It doesn't it's like it's all it's like there's an intimacy that you kind of you don't need to have because I don't think that the there's a game. I don't want to have a gatekeeper thing. But it's like when you have this intimacy of like games and art and technology and you play this game and how they have like somehow like graced all of those themes so ever, like taking you by the hair and hammering into your face, it's like just so fucking good. It's so fucking good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh man, Like the the intentional glitches you need to do like that, and it's so creepy and unsettling too in a way that's just like this is how I felt playing like those N sixty four games as a kid, that that like they don't have the technology to fully represent what they're trying to represent, but you just kind of get like a rough outline of it in a way that doesn't feel real.
Speaker 3: That's the intimacy I'm talking about, where it's like to people who have who understand the medium attack and art and just have grown up with it, it uses that knowledge against you, but also like in a way that only you can really get and it feels like it's like yeah, so when you're like debugging the games and art.
Speaker 1: You find yeah, you know, there's like it's like it's a game for people who play games, Yeah, game for gamers. Game for gamers. In that same way that there's like movies that are like this is a movie musicians music, musicians music or film, you know all that.
Speaker 3: I guess that is true. Yeah, It's like there are definitely those bands that people like, the people who love those bands are oftentimes musicians. It's like who can get it and it's like, I definitely think that you're right. There's definitely a bye. There's definitely a sector of film that, like people who really fucking love movies or have seen enough movies understand why that movie is significant versus other things. I think you're right. It's the same thing with the Warline and the Laser Eyes, where it's like, I don't want to say that people who didn't like it didn't see it that way, because I get it. People don't like to do math, even though you need you need to be that way to enjoy it. Yes, yes, I agree, but it definitely it definitely has a payoff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then of course the story it tells.
Speaker 4: It's just like.
Speaker 5: I forget his name, but the the the director Renzo is also has some of the best lines.
Speaker 4: So stupid, so stupid. I think that's that also, like.
Speaker 5: Because because I feel like playing that game without context, I feel like or seeing it, you might think like, oh, this is kind of like up its own ass, you know, yeah, but when you play it, you realize that, like it makes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's there, he's specifically as a character. Making fun of that concept.
Speaker 5: On Twitter, I like posted a joke about it and like the writer responded and was very much like very clear that they were just having fun with that ship.
Speaker 4: They just like we're gonna throw nonsense out there. Yeah, it's really.
Speaker 3: There's also I mean, what other game did you play this year where you just had a tampon an inventory that had no use but you're just like it was just in your inventory. Like it's like or like, in order to run in the game, there's no sprint button. You have to go and find an espresso machine and then find an espresso machine, which then you make coffee, which then gives you a small period of time which you could run at the trade off that you have to eventually pee and use the until you can like drink more coffee and do it. It's like those things that like toy and like fuck with your idea of you know, game design and like your expectations of it and like the smallest ways is just so good. Or then you get to the point where like if you have no idea what you're doing, you start to use the tampon on objects. I have no idea what to do. I'm just gonna put damp on. It does nothing. It's great, But.
Speaker 5: I think the other thing about it too, And I remember you made a Kurt Locker about like multiplayer single player games, yes, and like like Zelda I think was the example. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this feels like that as well, because like I'd come in the next day and I'd be like, I am stuck on this thing curve, Like do you want to hint?
Speaker 4: I was like, not yet, but.
Speaker 3: Like minutes of playing, You're like, I'm already stuck. Yeah, I don't know, I can't.
Speaker 4: It was very tired. I was very tired.
Speaker 3: I cannot get into the mansion. I was like, yeah, because I subtracted wrong.
Speaker 1: There's that one fucking door, you know, the one that I.
Speaker 3: Was Oh ever, yeah, yeah, I always say this every single time. Now after people had played it. Now, imagine reviewing that game and knowing no one who was incredible. That was the nightmare that I endured. Eventually, I did find people who did play it, even on the other side, even they weren't helpful.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your service, it was.
Speaker 3: And then I fucking beat it in the office. I finished it in the office. I like walked out and only Aaron Sampson was there. And Aaron Sampson just only plays the rest person shooters. I remember we'd just be like, I'm a fucking god and Aaron be like, oh would you do? And I was like, I can't even explain it. It's like I can't even got held.
Speaker 5: I can't the screen just like, yeah, bags under your eyes haven't left you, like got a white brutal.
Speaker 3: It took that game to like me soul a coffee cup. But I did it.
Speaker 1: You did it, and we did it. We did we did it.
Speaker 3: Barely twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: We barely did it. Everyone.
Speaker 3: Uh. I think that's gonna be a podcast. I did.
Speaker 1: I it's a it's a shame because I originally was like, we're gonna come in here, we're gonna talk about how Stalker two. Oh, we're gonna talk about Jones. Oh my, do you guys want to give your quick.
Speaker 4: Quick little I would like to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Jake, say your thing, your piece about India, because we do I do what They were both in our top ten and I do.
Speaker 3: We also fought for them. We fought for that in the top ten.
Speaker 1: And I think we have expressed this before to each other that like, what a shame that these games both came out so late in the years, both of them, because it was like one it felt like I was like kind of waiting for like a triple A game to sort of hit for me this year, and like triple games that are like not traditional triple not like I was waiting for this year to be good because there, as we mentioned, there's plenty of like indie games and smaller games. That was like, absolutely keep my my attention. But this was like, Oh, this is the ship I've been.
Speaker 4: Waiting for you.
Speaker 3: I need to hear.
Speaker 5: Jakes with Indy is like, I'm a big fan of Raiders, a lot of Stark, one of my favorite movies ever made out like The Last Crusade a lot as well, And after seeing Dial of Destiny and Crystal Skulls, I was like, there's nothing less.
Speaker 4: There's there's no.
Speaker 5: Gas in the tank. Unfortunately, I'll just pretend those don't exist. Yeah, but I haven't finished Indiana.
Speaker 4: Jones in the Great Circle, but playing it, I'm like, they fucking did it.
Speaker 5: We've got a good Indiana Jones story. I was so nervous about Troy Baker. He's done a very good job so far. Yeah, and like that's not even talk about like the game design and the level design, which I think is pretty spectacular in a way that doesn't surprise me given the nature of machine games and talent there. It surprises me that it is in an Indiana Jones game, Yes, sure, which I think is part of the reason why I'm like head over heels with that game.
Speaker 4: It's all I've been thinking about. I unfortunately haven't been able.
Speaker 5: To play much, but like, god, I can't wait to just sit down and fucking finish that game because I am yeah.
Speaker 4: So into it.
Speaker 5: And then Stalker for me, I haven't played enough of either, but I'm very excited to play more Stalker.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I mean I say that I was like so fucking grumpy about the idea of an Indiana Jones game that I was like, I went on record at Summer Game Fest being like, I don't give a fuck. I don't I don't want to punch Nazis. I want to fucking be bathed in their blood, like I want Wolf and Sign three. But god damn, I was wrong, like not like wrong, but just I'm just like because I still want Wolf and Sign three. But it's insane for me to say that playing even though I haven't finished Indian Jones a great circle. Yet I'm already anxious and excited at the prospect of getting another one, Like I like feel like what they have is so good that it's like this is only gonna get better and like more exciting that we have. Like to me, it feels like the dawn of a new gaming franchise. Like that's how good it feels. Yeah, and uh, I yeah, I think it's I think it's spectacular.
Speaker 2: Also, uh, it's just like.
Speaker 3: Just scratch, I I feel like I can't say anything you haven't said. Oh I was gonna say this. I think skill Up is right. Skill predicted that we're going to be like we're gonna mention this game in twenty years, and I one hundred percent agree with him genuinely, things like this is going to be one of those games that just like I mean Chronicles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think more so, which I think needs to happen because clearly a lot of people forgot about the existence of Chronicles of Ritick.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, totally, because yeah, everyone's like, oh, they've never made a game like this perform like yes as machine games, I can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to be forgiven being like you have not seen machine Games make a game like this, but they haven't.
Speaker 1: For those who don't know, like the majority, like a huge chunk of talent from Machine Games was originally from Starbreeys and they all left to four Machine Games, and even some people that technically didn't work at Machine Games or haven't recently came back specifically to work on Indiana Jones. So if you look at the credits for Riddick and The Darkness, which like are two of my favorite games, and you look at the credits for Indiana Jones, it's got the exact same game designer, the director worked on it, like they all like were there and it has a lot of that DNA from that game in in Indiana Jones, but then like but also elevated, like you know, because like Ridick had those like little spaces where you like walk around and do you side quest and talk to people and had stealth and it had gun play, but then like Indye like takes those spaces and makes them even bigger and like emphasizes like the first person combat and the stealth, and like it's it's incredible.
Speaker 3: It was just like a while to play in Indiana Jones game a licensed now I think it's tried to say, like a good license game, but it's crazy to play an Indiana Jones game and the writing of its characters and its bad eye be like so good. Yeah like that. It's it's like hard to even like recount characters in Indiana Jones films that were quite as memorable, like yes, like memorable or as good as like it's a funny thing for me, like I am having a hard time remembering villains and those like I like I remembering picture them like I could picture them.
Speaker 1: I know, like I was gonna say Raiders, I remember very vid but the rest I kind of don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then I think about this game and the antagonist of this game, and I'm more excited to see him on on screen and speak that I am anybody else.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that's another thing that I love about that game. It just machine games, is that they're writing is so good, and I feel like they don't get back.
Speaker 3: Guys are always fucking a honing they deserve.
Speaker 5: I mean, like I sent you a link to a podcast of a guy named Greg Miller saying he didn't like the Wolfenstein games because he likes his games with more narrative and characters, and that about blew my fucking I was so pissed because that's what I'm talking about. Though, people don't think of machine games as like some of the best writing in the business because they're writing.
Speaker 3: Some of the most memorable gaming scenes I have ever experienced come from Wolfenstein, as I wanted to like like just pop off in my brain and like characters that I've like can like I never can really quote many game characters by I think I could like see them saying their lines, like even in like Wolven's then two, like I have a nuke in this fire like that.
Speaker 4: It's like just feeling It's like it's because it feels effortless.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, which, like like I really like The Last of Us.
Speaker 5: I really like a lot of what Sony has been doing with their writing, But it feels like they're trying to show you, like, yeah, we've got top tier writing, We're gonna have characters that you're invested in, We're gonna have some really powerful lines that are gonna.
Speaker 4: Be memorable, and that's good. But like I'm tired of that, and I've been tired of that for a while.
Speaker 5: And then you play wolf'steg Indiana Jones, and it just it feels effortless, like it doesn't feel like they're trying to like tell some emotional grand story, but but they do it anyway.
Speaker 1: They do it anyway, even not even the cup scenes, like all of BJ's like intermodologue in the levels.
Speaker 3: There's also still like Popey, you know, there's even there's even scenes with Indiana Jones in this game where it's like Early has to say anything. It's like an expression he makes, or like when you're walking when you're walking around the Vatican, and the little details where it's like you know, Dot where they call him like mister something like father, like like just like those subtle things that like remind you like of like where it's coming from, the situation you're in and the person Indiana Jones says, it's yeah.
Speaker 5: To that point where it's like people are thinking, like, oh, is it gonna be like first person Uncharted or whatever or tomb Raider or something.
Speaker 3: It isn't.
Speaker 4: It very much isn't. But I think part of that too is like Uncharted and.
Speaker 5: Uh, tomb Raiders often do this thing where like the protagonist has to like overtly geek out about something and tell you exactly what they've just found. Well, like in Indiana Jones like you walk into like a tomb and he looks at it and there's marking song. He's like, huh, looks like some kids got a hold of that, you know, Like it's.
Speaker 3: Just or he mumbles through it, like in that way where it's just like he'll he'll just talk to himself.
Speaker 5: It doesn't feel like it's been written for the player to learn something. It's just like it feels like Indie, you know. And yeah, I love that about us, man, Yeah, I that game is.
Speaker 4: It shot up my list so fast.
Speaker 3: I know, I think all of us, like we were all kind of like I think. I remember after the preview event, I was the only one of games but who played it, and I like had a hard time explaining like like or like come to terms of being like I think it's going to be really fucking good. It was like really like hard to be like. I just like I don't like And I only had like an hour and a half with it at that point, and I feel like I'd barely done anything other than the opening Vans Vatican Stealth mission that you're forced to do basically and then I only played a part of Giza in the open area.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I mean yeah, it was like it shot up our top ten because everyone who had played it early. Yeah, Like I wasn't sure how everyone was going to feel, but going in there and realizing like, oh no, everyone's like yep, like you know, I was like Lucy tam like they were like, you know, they're all like.
Speaker 3: The main I think the main thing was that I remember saying, was I don't think people are prepared for what the kind of game this says, yeah, like and like that, like for that mainstream gaming audiences. I just don't know if they're like going to be ready to play a game that's kind of an immersive sim lights. Yeah, you don't get things like that. You don't get like Dishonored style games in the hands of main mainstream gamers, right, who have no context of anything else other than big license.
Speaker 4: I also worry about, like I don't know how well that game is going.
Speaker 3: To do some marketing. I've barely seen it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like I don't know Indiana Jones is kind of a weird cell at this point, Like I don't know how many people are excited to play that game.
Speaker 1: I'm sure at the time when they got that license, they were like, oh, this is a shoe in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean five years ago exactly exactly. I feel like my assumption would be, I think it will have a long tail, and like I think it'll be one of those things that people may and like it'll come to PS five and will have the exact same bump, right, I'll have the same exact like sort of tail, and I think it'll be a thing again where people will talk about it like year after year and after year, and it's I think it's gonna have a long tale of revenue come in.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but like that happened with Prey in that studio.
Speaker 3: But Pray still is not Praise still is like formed on Shure an obscure license in. But it's not even we know that, I know, we know that has no connection to the other Prey game, but it's like still has to but it still has mind share, right, yes, and that's all that's I know, I know. So it's like like what I'm trying to say is like it still falls into a weird category where even if you don't know what Prey is, if you may have. Wasn't there a game called Prey that came out like the Xbox three sixty or whatever the FU or Xbox back then, and like, yes, it was amazing. We all hear in this room love it and like people talk about it's like that's for the fucking best, you know, games.
Speaker 1: It has got, it has gotten its due sense, but it's still like not enough.
Speaker 4: No, I know that, it's not.
Speaker 5: All I'm trying to say is if Xbox shut down machine games, I will take a sledgehammer to my Xbox.
Speaker 4: I will never fucking buy another Xbox well console again.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, that's why I pull a curt. You know, I have to build a PC and buy Windows. Yeah yeah, I really show that by the game on PC. Yeah No, I mean, but I mean for what it's worth. It's like I have not my series S has not been turned on since they closed our GNE. It's just like I will do everything I can.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 3: We all have blood on our hands. I've said it a million times. It's very hard to not be able to support a corporation. But I will do my best to try and funnel the revenue I can in ways that feel meaningful. At least to me, let Steam take a cut of it. At least, yeah, let the other over do something. It's like, there's so little weak, but yeah, no, I agree for God's sakes. And then yeah, stccer to Doccer too. We don't have to talk that much about it, but it's so good. I think I put it in the most time out of anybody here. I think you think so.
Speaker 5: I've been meaning to put in more before the game came out. If I knew that, I'd be like, I don't know if I believe that. I played like a couple hours and I was like, I think Kurt would really like it.
Speaker 1: It was really it was like Jake, it was like I was.
Speaker 3: I've been following its development obviously for a while, but it was those moments where I kept lating more and more to also, to be honest, when I heard how divisive it was. Usually that shit like is a switch for me where I start to pay attention to it more, because you see, when I see people meemingly dislike something or veemally like it, I'm like, well, there's something here that is dividing people. Yeah, and it makes me interesting knowing that you want to know where you're going to think exactly. And I fall in the camp of being like, I fucking love this game. Yeah, I think it's I think it's a genuine I think genuine is the right word. It's like it feels like a very genuine experience of a thing that like. And I said this during deliberations where I it's knowing about its development doesn't have a bearing on whether or not it's in our top ten or whether we talking about it, whether you should even give a shit about it. But I am a fan. I do believe like context informs art, and like the things in which thing is made under certain circumstances will create an experience that is distinct to that thing. I think it's that is what fucking art is. And I think having the context of like knowing that this was made by Ukrainians who also have been dealing with a decade of a war torn country and dealing with Russian bullshit, you it doesn't you don't. It's not like explicitly in the game, but you feel it. It's like it's like this tangible thing that feels a part of it and it's culturally interesting because it's so Ukrainian and like in these very specific ways that I probably could never really grasp or understand, and because of that, it left an impression on me. Also, it's like I said this earlier in the podcast, I'm a fan of oxy Morons. It's like this game that is like so dire, so dour, so like you just look at it and it's just like looks like it's dying. Like the game just looks like it's barely holding on, and like the game itself is like so like it's difficult, it's hard. It's like kind of hard to understand for a while, and you're going through this fucking world. But then you go back to camp and you just said, these guys are like, hey man, you're a real cool soccer killing guy, Like I thought you killed some scumbags back in your day, and it just feels so like, what fucking world are you living.
Speaker 1: We've mentioned oblivion a bunch I'm.
Speaker 3: Talking about, and I think that's so fucking perfect.
Speaker 1: It does have that like, man, I just got that vibe about it that's just like genuine but awkward, but like, oh it would.
Speaker 3: It just makes it feel so much to me, like that is so much more human.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like like if there was more like traditionally buttoned up in the way you speaking.
Speaker 3: Of Last of Us.
Speaker 4: Last of This is when I was thinking about bringing up because it was like it's.
Speaker 3: Like you think about like you, you think about being in a world that fucking blows, and that like the world around you is dying, there's little to hold onto you would want to like, of course it would be normal for you to imagine these characters being same way. They're miserable as fuck, but like in actuality, like humanity through all of its bullshit is like there were troying dicks on fucking like things and like you know, fucking thousands of years ago, there's like there is still levity and humanity to be found in like goofiness and like turmoil, and like also comedy is formed on things that you're allowed to make fun of because you're experiencing it. So I feel like playing a game like Stalker two is like the antithesis of a game like The Last of Us, where it's so where it's depressing the look at and it's depressing to be to live in. Stalker two gives me like the weirdest amount of like no, I want to go like fuck up other Stalkers, kill these fucking mutants, so then I can go hunt dogs with the guy who's gonna tell me the worst jokes I've ever heard life because it feel normal. Oh no, no jokes. I listened to them again recently and I was like, I don't understand any of these at all.
Speaker 5: I maybe I'll say it for the end, but I do kind of want to tease the project we've been working on for sure time, because we've been sitting on it for a while.
Speaker 3: How you do it now? And we'll wrap this up then to kind of go back to what Kurt.
Speaker 5: Was saying about how like culture influences art, you know, and there is you see that in Stalker back in what was.
Speaker 4: It aug October?
Speaker 3: When when it came out?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, when did we go?
Speaker 3: Oh frog, like September, September.
Speaker 5: In September September, we have like one more game spot insider documentary and it is about Stalker's about some of the developers who evacuated Ukraine right before the full scale invasion in u It was February twenty twenty two and we interviewed a bunch of developers. We were putting that together and we're hoping to get it out next year or the next year, early next year. A lot of work has already gone into this.
Speaker 3: Now it's on a record, so we have to find that no reason. It's like I need to just say it because.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, it very proud of what we have so far, excited to share it. Yeah, that's a that's a Game Spot after Dark exclusive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking forward to having that one tomb. But also I'm like I wanted I'm not going to put it out half baked now. It feels it feels too important for that. Thank you everyone for listening Game Spot after Dark, not just this episode, but every episode we've done. It's been a very rocky year for us, as I'm sure it has for a lot of people. It's been a year, twenty twenty four. It has been a year, and I'm sure twenty twenty five will continue to also be a year.
Speaker 3: But hopefully there will be some levity, there will be some joke. Hey man, yo, real cool Game Spot after a Dark podcast. Guy.
Speaker 1: So thank you everyone for listening, and thank you too for being on, especially you Kurt, because you're the you're you were all like, I'm mister grumba won't be on a podcast. And then I said, Kurt, I'm gonna have you on the podcast for you.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That means a lot to me.
Speaker 1: You can go fuck himself enough, all right, everybody, thank you for listening, and we will see you all next year.