Speaker 1: On on on, Welcome to the CEO pre show for episode.
Speaker 2: You just said it four.
Speaker 3: Thirty four.
Speaker 2: I believe it is holy shit. It took that many to finally bust through the glass ceiling what they call it.
Speaker 1: To finally grab that brass ring and climb all the way to the top of podcasting Baby, Brought to you by the glorious patrons over at us patreon dot com slash CEO Podcast, whether they like it or not, where you might notice that Ryan has grown a beard, transfer is wearing a hat that doesn't have camel on it, and is wearing a shirt without sleeves, because when you break your leg and have to have surgery, you have to grow a beard and have a shirt with no sleeves. That's part of the recuperation process allah the Canadian medical system.
Speaker 2: Yes, So how do you feel? I feel a little weak both in mind and body.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I hope that gets better for you soon.
Speaker 2: He'll probably heal with my leg, you think, I think, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, it's your feelings and leg. And then what happens to the beard?
Speaker 2: Do you keep it? No? Offur just have to unglue it and take it off, give it back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because Ryan's facial hair is clear. I don't that's a The.
Speaker 1: Funny part of this whole joke is Ryan has literally had a beard the entire eight years we've done the show.
Speaker 3: You just can't see it. It's that blonde for real.
Speaker 1: But this is my man, Gary, producer, Gary Oh, he is the proprietor here at the damn Network. We're not actually in the damn studio right now.
Speaker 2: The dungeon we have.
Speaker 1: We we finally got out, we could go anywhere, and we ended up in front of this flaming dumpster.
Speaker 2: Literally a dumpster fire.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: It's what do they call this on a metaphor for anything? It's just something we.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, Ryan has been gone for a week and now we don't have power or warmth or cold, and we just have to We had to burn all the equipment to keep ourselves from dying.
Speaker 2: So here we're marking. Yeah, I think it's working good. So here we go nice and toasted. I'm already sweating, so that's what I'm saying that I feel the heat off.
Speaker 3: It's a good signs.
Speaker 1: So we've got We've got a very exciting show for you this week. We're going to talk about some of the headlines making headlines in magic from the perspective of somebody that maybe isn't as entrenched in the show, maybe as you or I. Are you meaning the the viewer, viewer, thank you, slash listener, or or I being the host of the show.
Speaker 3: This is weird.
Speaker 4: I'm not used to being the host.
Speaker 2: I know, I was gonna say, are you okay with all that?
Speaker 3: I don't know how.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I volunteered for this is too I'm too laid back for this much responsibility. Anybody who's ever been to a CEO experience and actually seeing me and Ryan like at work with one another, they're like, man, how did how did this happen?
Speaker 4: Is what they're saying.
Speaker 2: Like the oddest of odcoming.
Speaker 1: Nobody thought that Ryan could ever like be put down by anything. And while he's not down, he will be back, I assume for next week.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, after he sees this, he'll probably be back just to redo it. We'll tear his way in from the ranch.
Speaker 3: Now, we don't have the RAM set up.
Speaker 4: We were talking about that earlier on your show.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna talk about some headlines in the World of Magic. We're going to talk about some of the other things, maybe some events we are coming up, and just kind of have a good old time me and Gary doing an old school style. Is there anything that you Gary, as a somebody who's magic adjacent now, given your your current position, is there anything that you would like to know about the game or that you any thoughts that you have based on things that you've heard, things that you've seen, something you would like to address. This is your your your forum, my dude.
Speaker 2: Like, I think my biggest issue with trying to comprehend this incredible thing that is magic the gathering is the different types of gameplay. Because you guys keep talking about Commander and how Commander is the style you play, but I don't know how to differentiate any of that. So maybe if we could start at the bear basics and you could explain to me what the hell is commander.
Speaker 1: Commander is a format in magic where you play you have a card, a deck.
Speaker 3: Of one hundred cards.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, one.
Speaker 1: Hundred individual cards.
Speaker 2: Now I'll just keep jumping in when I have these questions. Do it? So you got one hundred cards? What's a normal magic game consist of? Card? Wise?
Speaker 1: Depending on where you're playing, usually between forty and sixty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is like lots of card, Yes, there's lots of cards.
Speaker 1: Originally, the format was invented by some dudes that were on like the Rules Committee, that were really down deep in magic as a way to play some of the cards that don't have homes anywhere else, like they're too.
Speaker 3: Old or they're outclassed by other stuff.
Speaker 1: And they wanted to find a way where I want to I want to play with all this stuff that's in my binder's not worth anything telling it isn't really an option.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants it for trades.
Speaker 1: We got to find somewherehere we can play it. So what happened was they decided, Okay, we're gonna pick one legendary creature out of a deck. And legendary creature is a type of card these days, it just means it's good they tack legendary honors. You can't have more than one in play at.
Speaker 2: A time, okay in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And you would pick a legendary creature and they have colors. There's five colors in magic, and this would and that dictates what color of card you can play.
Speaker 2: In your deck. Okay, do any commanders have multiple color abilities? There's always one.
Speaker 3: They go from one to five.
Speaker 2: Get ahead of myself here, Oh yeah, So you get.
Speaker 1: To from one to five based on what you want to play, and then in your deck you'll have ninety nine cards left over because your commander counts.
Speaker 3: You can only have one of any card.
Speaker 1: With the exception of what is called a basic land, which is the basic resource within the game, where if you don't have them, your.
Speaker 3: Deck won't functions.
Speaker 1: So you can have as many of those as you want for the basic ones, but other than that, you can only have one of anything. Wow, so like you can go. Originally, I feel the idea was you go through your trade binder, your junk box, and you pick on all this stuff that you really wish you could have played. Right, man, got all these cool dragons that can't do shit anywhere, and you make a deck.
Speaker 2: Out of them.
Speaker 1: And then as the world went on, people realize, man, this is fun.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: People really liked it, people really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Imagine that getting to use things you like.
Speaker 1: Who would have thought that playing a game and having fun?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: What? It's right there?
Speaker 1: Then eventually the company that owns Magic the Gathering Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro till all are None got a hold of it and they kind of started officially supporting it where they were releasing things directly into the Commander format. And I initially when they first started doing that, I was super against.
Speaker 3: I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was very much against.
Speaker 3: The spirit of the game. And we're actually gonna talk about that on the show.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: There's a teaser guessing game.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yes, winners winners.
Speaker 1: We don't have the winners because Ryan picks the winners and I don't have one.
Speaker 3: So watch next week's pre show.
Speaker 2: We'll have two winners, but winner.
Speaker 3: If you want to win.
Speaker 1: Again, you could be a patron over at patreon dot coms She's podcast, or or you can tell us in the comments down below. What was the first Commander you ever built?
Speaker 2: There you go, that's there you go. And then when you win, where do you get to choose from?
Speaker 1: Oh, you can pick from a Ceco sticker pack, a CEO token pack, or a dirty, rotten, stink and old pack of Magic cards.
Speaker 2: Has there only ever been one person that took that third price.
Speaker 1: To my knowledge that is very rare to pick that. There was a time when people used to pick them. Around Christmas time, people will pick the pack and say, hey, like I want the pack, throw it in the in the sock and give it away as a thing, and then we give it away as a big prize at.
Speaker 3: The end of the year for Christmas. But mostly people liked it.
Speaker 2: To the stickers of the well, they are awesome because our stickers they are so good. In fact that at the Gunbat Day convention, our boy Dragon took a sticker that was stuck onto a piece of paper and tore it out of the piece of paper and gave it to the person thinking it was a sticker that he could still peel off. But it was just a sticker stuck.
Speaker 3: To a sticker stuck to a piece of loose leaf.
Speaker 2: That's how bad that dude won that sticker. And I love that. That's amazing. You know.
Speaker 4: When I walked up and I saw that, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, what the hell happened?
Speaker 4: And you were explaining it. I'm looking at Dragon, dude.
Speaker 2: But he wait like this listens like, well, man, I don't if you can explain that.
Speaker 1: Bro, there's a there's a box of them right there, there's the whole box full of stickers.
Speaker 4: Man, you could have given them any one of those, which you didn't.
Speaker 1: But you know what, that's why we love him and that's why he's a member of the nation now because yes, only here will you see that.
Speaker 3: Kind of bullshit that it's so good. Which is the best? So getting back to your.
Speaker 1: Initial question, that's the kind of origin of Commander. The other types of magic, the types of play, as you would say, to boil it down really succinctly, there are the sixty card formats. Those are like standard or legacy or vintage. Those are different legalities of cards based on how Vintage is basically every card ever printed.
Speaker 2: Okay, Legacy is also every.
Speaker 1: Card every print ever printed with a very distinguished band list that you can't play oh okay, only available in vintage, and standard is essentially what is the newest stuff the last couple of years. That's the rotating format that kind of keeps people buying packs and buying product. It's the if you're gonna play or I guess there's modern as well.
Speaker 3: It's like legacy light I forget the year that it goes back to. So those are the sixty card.
Speaker 1: Formats, and in those you don't have a command, and you can play four of any non basic land.
Speaker 2: Car so you can load up with your favorite guys.
Speaker 1: You can load up with your best stuff, and that's kind of that's the main distinguishing point in Commander and Regular.
Speaker 2: Does that mean I can have four brash Taunters?
Speaker 4: Oh, baby, yes you could.
Speaker 2: I bet you've done that before. You better believe. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 2: It feels so good.
Speaker 3: It felt really good.
Speaker 1: There was actually a time in Commander where my whole deck was just built to make as many brash Haunters as I could.
Speaker 2: And you better believe.
Speaker 3: I won that came.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was very good. All I know about Magic from being producer Gary is that Brashhaunter is the greatest card in the history matches.
Speaker 1: See, he knows, he knows everything he needs to know him And glorb glarp glarbe is an adjective, a verb, and a proper name.
Speaker 2: So it's amazing versatile. I love words like that. I like words like that me too.
Speaker 1: And then the last main way you can play Match to the Gathering is through a random thing or a seal or a draft with those rs. When you go in, you're gonna pay money for X number of packs. If it's a draft, it's gonna be three. If it's a sealed, you're gonna get six. And then, through various means, you're gonna use the cards that you open blindly in those packs to create a deck. Those ones usually forty cards, and you can play as many of any card.
Speaker 3: As you open.
Speaker 2: It's like the Wild West, right, yes.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like, oh my god, I'm gonna play ten of this one thing. You never get ten to one thing, which is actually not true. I did play a I don't know how it happened, but that's the best draft in the history of magic.
Speaker 2: The gathering.
Speaker 3: I've told the story on the show bunch of times.
Speaker 1: We're just I feel like maybe everybody was drunk or they felt like, man, you know, Brando's never won one of these the penny win, and we really want him to, so let's just make sure that he gets load that thing up. Five of the best card in draft in the set, and then just.
Speaker 2: Walked over everyone.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was down, Yeah, game over.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It felt really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt really good. I feel like as well. You might be kind of like me when it comes to luck and those sort of things with these games. So on the rare occasion when it really works in your favor, it's like you're so grateful and enjoy it so much more than someone who is lucky all the time. Yeah. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Now when I finally managed to echo to win, it's a it's a pretty big deal.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, it's a big deal for me.
Speaker 1: I love that because the people who have watched the box openings on the channel, they know the best, they know the best.
Speaker 4: They know that I'm I'm not I'm.
Speaker 1: Not great at But do you think that RNG is a random number generation? Do you think that that is something that is a benefit to or a hindrance to things that are in we'll say magic in certain cases, is competitive.
Speaker 3: Do you think that the randomness.
Speaker 1: Enriches a game like this or in your mind, would you think that it's a it's a it's a hindrance to a game.
Speaker 2: For me in this situation, I tend to look at something like speed Rents. As you know, we're huge gamers. We love speed Rents, and the RNG is the great equalizer no matter how how good of a speed runner you are, you still have to get those things to drop for you in order to break a record. So in that way, I love how it sort of levels the playing field a little bit. But at the same time, if I'm a wily veteran and I want to be perfect, it would really piss me off. So I think there's good and bad to both sides. If that makes sense.
Speaker 3: It makes perfect sense, Like and this is that.
Speaker 1: I think that that's part of the thing I really like about magic is you can be somebody that's got the perfect deck, Yeah, the perfect ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's it's everything has been sculpted and then you just you whip it out with your bodies and he's like, somebody's sitting over there, he's got.
Speaker 4: Something, no sleeves on it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They just found a bunch of shit on the floor, and they're the first time they never shuffled a deck of cards before in their lives, shooting everywhere, right, and they just roll you because yours are bad, right.
Speaker 3: Orang is the great equalizer here as well.
Speaker 2: And I imagine that that would also play a lot more in a deck of like you say, ninety nine and one Commander than a sixty or forty.
Speaker 1: That is what makes the it's it's so exciting. I think to play Camander is the you have a lot of what's the word I'm looking for when it's the same kind of every time when you're playing the sixty sixty by four is what I call them, but the kind of more constructive formats. You have a lot more control over what your deck's going to do, and so that our g is a lot less And and I'll admit this because I'm not very good at it anymore. At least I used to be fairly okay, but I don't have the just the that that part of my brain just doesn't work now. Now I want to drink beer and have fun with my friends and like try and talk somebody out of killing me asid I'm trying to play them.
Speaker 3: You know, that's just.
Speaker 2: Easier choosing diplomacy over violence exactly. And but then I always eventually choose violence. Of course, for the record, you ever play Brando, I will choose violence eventually, and when I do, it's very violent, very well done.
Speaker 3: That's why I thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I have another question for you, Okay, do we shout out any business daddies or anyone right.
Speaker 3: Now, we're after that show.
Speaker 1: They don't have nothing to do. We do whatever we want. We can talk all about how we go to Winnipeg. And Winnipeg is a giant dumpster fire of a city and I wish that fuse in gaming. While they have a delightful storefront with a great staff, the best, very well stocked.
Speaker 3: Beautiful is in existence.
Speaker 1: It is essentially a pustule on the side of the anus of Canada. And I am I feel so bad for these great people that live in such a derelict of a city.
Speaker 2: Postule postual.
Speaker 3: Good word.
Speaker 2: You're the one that said it.
Speaker 1: Man, that should be the new CECAL promo code cceal pustual.
Speaker 2: Is like, are we saying like a pussy jewel? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Growing, Yeah, I always assume that's what that was. It was kind of like a little growth thing. I don't have an alphel degree.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is, you know, doctor, right, I know lots of science facts, but one.
Speaker 2: Of them is not a pustul. The only thing that you are, for sure a doctor of his economics.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm very gangsta, and yeah, I am virtually invisible. I'm hoping that my yellow shirt actually doesn't show up on the screen right now, because that would make it very funny.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I would love that, sir.
Speaker 3: I would like that as well.
Speaker 1: Are you excited to be on the very first get this, Get this Get this GBO on the c C O y TC.
Speaker 3: That's the Gary and Brando out.
Speaker 2: When you say it like that, I got very excited.
Speaker 1: Right That sounds pretty cool, sounds official? Now, Yes, So we're going to talk about some really exciting stuff. We've got some stories to tell, some people.
Speaker 3: To thank, you know, the drill. We're going to talk about all.
Speaker 1: That tomorrow on a very very very exciting episode of Commander Cookout Podcast and.
Speaker 3: Hit our theme song.
Speaker 2: Hello do You Hold It for?
Speaker 4: Until, says he started recording