Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another episode of Haplejack Still the Pod. I am your host, Alex Golders with me has always his doctor.
Speaker 4: Justin Joy and Daniel Donavidian.
Speaker 3: I am back from vacation ready to hop back in and joining us on today's episode is Martin Jensen of Yahoo Sports and also HBO. Because of the HBO thing, his face is censored. No, just kidding, it's because of the FI. But Martin, how are you doing today?
Speaker 5: I am doing well and look first first time visitor on this podcast, so thank you for having me first and foremost. Secondarily, I just want to apologize in advance if my Internet is gonna just crap out on everyone. So I am hoping and I'm praying with everything I got, even as an atheist, that everything will work out.
Speaker 3: I believe in you, and you know, dear listener, if you have any deities that you rock with, no judgment here, but we need their powers for Morton's Internet connections.
Speaker 5: So please, yes, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 6: We could use a little bit of rain here in Mexico City. It's pretty hot and dry, as you can see from me trying not to die in my office on this very warm, almost August.
Speaker 3: Day, Rain City in Brooklyn. It's just rain for two weeks. Joy of joys, Daniel, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good. I'm in the land of Lebron aka Pennsylvania. Yeah, it's a little a little humid here, but I've been enjoying the summer and now the off season is really starting to get dry. But a lot of stuff to talk about to carry us through though.
Speaker 4: Yep, it sure is. We do have enough to talk about.
Speaker 3: So this is the part of the off season where moves are largely settling, and so we get to do some analysis time. And that's exactly what we're going to do with Morton. We're going to break down the Western Conference, which the Celtics do not play in, but you know, both from a broader league wide perspective and also how it affects the sees. But first, as always, we will talk about the news.
Speaker 4: Daniel.
Speaker 3: You have some news about Jason Tatum's golf tournament. You want to just go right into that.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, he hosted his annual golf tournament in Saint Louis. I believe it's his sixth year now doing it. And always familiar Celtics people show up this year. It was Derek White, which is good to see Daniel Tice, which was a bit of a surprise.
Speaker 4: Let's go Daniel Tyson's back taking a break from Pablo Torre's podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that was bad timing of that news. But Tatum's always friend with some random player on the Celtics, like Javonte Green, Daniel Tice. It's never the superstar guys, it's some random role players. Oh and Mike Conley was there as well, which is good for the team chemistry, new team. But yeah, just good to see him doing that for his charity.
Speaker 3: Listen, Brad Stevens has got one roster spot open, and I know that Daniel Tice has had a couple of stints with the Boston Celtics, but.
Speaker 4: Who's against one more? Not me, buddy.
Speaker 3: You heard it here first, Brad Stevens, Daniel Tice, last roster spot Let's get it. He also had some other things to say Daniel, which left the internet in a little bit of a kerfuffle. What do you what do you got on that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was I believe a Jordan camp. He's kind of been doing this like summer tour of stops promoting Jordan Jordan brand all that like he was in he was in the Bronx or in New York recently, bet where exactly though, He's been all over and I think in Chicago he had this camp and he was talking to the kids and they posted it on his story on Instagram and he mentioned being teammates with people who think they're the smartest player in the room or something along those lines. I don't have the exact wording in front of me, but obviously the internet went crazy with that because people will remember this report if you want to call it that. I think it just came from Colin Coward and he probably knows some anonymous guy that that some people thought Jalen Brown thought he was the smartest person in the room. So people thought Tatum might have been referencing that. Me personally, I think we're kind of jumping to conclusions of it here he's.
Speaker 3: Talking to that would never happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it got picked up, of course by like all the aggregators, so that's going crazy. It has like millions of views and people were taking out as a shot at Jalen Brown. But I don't know, is that a camp he's talking to kids? I don't think Tatum is online as a lot of people in the NBA fans fear media sphere are, so he might not exactly see everything that we've seen, and I don't know, I seem more coincidental to me. Of course, I don't know fully what's going on with that relationship, but I don't fully buy into that conspiracy theory.
Speaker 3: Morton, do you have thoughts on the various clickbait stories around Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown taking secret chats at each other on the Internet?
Speaker 5: How come again, guys, my apologies for the internet crapping out. Someone isn't praying hard enough.
Speaker 4: It's all good.
Speaker 3: We wanted your enlightened take on the supposed internet sniping between Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there wasn't any That's my take. I think that is just such a preposterous summer thing where people are trying to create headlines out of thin air for absolutely nothing. Jason Tatum has repeatedly, over the course of several years, been the corner of Jalen Brown. I think it's just such a ridiculous assumption that all of a sudden he should stop being behind his guy like like, what should be the motivational factor here, I don't see it. They want a championship together, for crying out loud. I think there will always be mutual admiration for one another. I think they had some issues, I believe in the beginning of their careers, trying to figure out their roles. But like they just they that's so long ago they spent how how many years was it they spent together? Like seven, eight years something along those lines, like nine Jesus, I mean, there we go. So I just don't think there's anything but respect and admiration on his front. And I think we tend as a society to read into stuff all the time and for no reason whatsoever, which is really ridiculous. So I'm just gonna say, no iping involved here, guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, wildly character for Tatum.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only the only sniping that I see Jason Tatum regularly engaging in is on the basketball court from deep adjust kidding, please get your three point percent, Jason Tatum. I believe you, all right, So moving on to me, as Catah is going to be playing with Portugal in the Basketball World Cup qualifier in August. For euro hoops fans, go check out Kata doing stuff with Portugal. We'll see other quick news tidbits, and then we're going to jump into the actual meat of the pod. Sounds like the Celtics were at one point pursuing erstwhile nemesis Lebron James in.
Speaker 4: Free agency this off season. For Dave McManamon.
Speaker 3: Morton, I'm curious about your thoughts of the enemies to buddies that never really emerged here with the Celtics rumored interest in Lebron, what do you think.
Speaker 5: I mean, Look, I wouldn't be surprised if the Ce's actually pursued Lebron like they Why wouldn't they even if you had the animosity of the many years of heat Celtics even Cavs Celtics rivalries, Like, you're in the business of getting better. You're always in the business of trying to achieve a championship level contender. Adding Lebron depending on you know, the financial compensation. Of course that's a topic for a different day. But like whenever you can add Lebron, even at age forty one or you know, going on forty two, I mean, you do it and you try to figure out stuff as you go along, Like he probably would have been spending a lot of time on the ball, which frankly, that's fine because that frees up the shooters, that freeze update them a little bit more. So. Yeah, I absolutely believe there is something to it. I don't hate the fact that they had him on their radar. If they did, I mean, you would be a fool if you're not in the position of the Celtics and actually react on it. So like, without being too mean, I would say, duh.
Speaker 4: Martin, are you implying that signing Lebron James for the minimum will make your team better at basketball?
Speaker 5: I know, I look, it's very controversial. I know, I understand that. I appreciate that, but I am actually going out on a limb here and saying that that would be a very wise decision.
Speaker 3: Yes, really shocking takes. I know, this is crazy stuff that we're getting more than really really offering a wild guest experience.
Speaker 5: I know, I'm coming in just firing shotguns all over the blaze.
Speaker 4: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: Another related Tidbitti news, apparently Boston also tried to trade Jalen Brown to the Golden State Warriors at the trade deadline. Per Shams, he mentioned something about the Celtics basically asking for four first round picks, which is what they have been asking for a lot of teams until they traded him for Paul George and two first round picks instead in a bunch of seconds. What if anything, does this tell us JQ daniel thoughts on Brad potentially offering Jalen Brown at the deadline in Golden State in the middle of what was at the time a career season for him.
Speaker 6: This tells me that they've been trying to move him, maybe as soon as he signed his current contract, just because of the reasons. You know, this has been my least favorite I told you so ever in terms of them needing to trade Jalen Brown, and even I thought it was going to be further down the road, like after the season, after this coming season. So this tells me that the Celtics really had been thinking about moving on from him for quite some time, and probably almost certainly it's the contract.
Speaker 3: It would have been pretty shocking at the trade deadline with the Celtics kind of turning the corner and starting to really emerge as a legitimately good Eastern Conference playoff team to deal Jalen Brown to Golden State for picks during the middle of that.
Speaker 4: Season that he just had.
Speaker 3: That would have been really something, and I certainly would have been surprised, to say the least.
Speaker 4: Daniel Morton any thoughts on that, I don't.
Speaker 2: Have too much to add. I think Justin saw correctly. I guess it kind of shows you what the market was at the time and how it sort of fell. Now I'm still not on board where I'm like, oh, well, the market was so high and obviously lowered, so the fact that they got him for Paul Georgian picks is like fine, Like it's understandable. I still don't really agree with that. I think you're trading guy like Jalen Brown, especially after he finished sixth in MVP voting. You would like the market to be a little bit better. You would have liked a better deal to really fire sale, and maybe, like Justin said, wait, a little obviously that didn't happen. They must have had some question marks with his fit, I imagine at points long before we all really started talking about it. But the Warriors are probably not beating themselves up over this, but because four first round picks is a lot, but still the current situation there in seems pretty bleak. I know we'll get into that a little more, but I don't really see much optimism coming out of Golden State next season.
Speaker 3: Reportedly, the reason that the Warriors balked at the deal is because they were skeptical about the idea of Jalen Brown being the franchise guy. After Steph Curry, Yeah, Morton, what do you think about this? And then let's keep it moving?
Speaker 5: No, I mean quick thoughts here is I would agree with that assessment if I was Golden State. Look, I appreciate Jalen Brown for what he is, but I don't think he's a lead guy what he did this or last season. Because now we're past July first, so we can say last season, what he did last season was incredibly impressive. But I don't have him up in that tier where he can go in and be, you know, a high end MVP caliber player and as does you know, the spearhead of your franchise lead you into a championship contention. So I kind of understand why the Warriors would be skeptical of turning him into the face of the franchise post stuff.
Speaker 4: Sure, all right, well it's about that time Morton.
Speaker 3: It is the The name of the pod is Habichak stole the pod, and you are going to steal the pod as our guest of the day, So go ahead and steal away.
Speaker 4: What do you got for us here?
Speaker 5: Seriously, we have to talk about Spider Man brain New Day because like I'm a superhero Garner, like I'm a geek, I'm a nerd. I'm not going to get into spoilers if you haven't seen it. I'm just gonna say this was by far the most authentic Spider Man movie that's ever been made. The fact that we and like I set this on Blue Skuy as well, and this isn't spoiler. This is something to look forward to. Unlike the previous like three movies, you really get a sense of how they've lowered the amount of CGI when he's in a scene and I thought that was just oh Chef's kiss. The right decision to go with felt so much more authentic also to the character, and we were finally getting like prime Spidy, like we're we're getting you know, h twenty seven Michael Jordan up in this one, and that's where we are with Spidey, and it's insanely good. I'm just gonna recommend to everyone, like, rush to the theater and go watch it. It's I was just blown away. I wanted to get some put some good vibes into this one, and I saw it last night. Hasn't come out of my mind yet. Like I'm literally considering going back and rewatching it in the theater, which I never do. Guys like I never go back to watch twice I am. I am sorely tempted. That's how good it was.
Speaker 3: So it's gonna have a high bar for me to clear because I believe that Sam Miami's Spider Man two is perhaps the single finest movie in the entire.
Speaker 4: Genre of superhero films. There's so much sauce in that movie.
Speaker 5: It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, So it's a high bar to clear for me, but I will see it and we'll have to see where we go from there. Thoughts on the upcoming Spider Man movies, Daniel Justin or older ones.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I got tickets, so I'm really excited. I mean, I was already kind of sold on this movie, but Morton, you just got me really excited.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: My hot take, Alex is that I kind of like the Tom Holland ones better than the Toby maguire ones.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I can get on board, but yeah, I might be a generational thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that's not the most popular take and that the Spider movies are my absolute favorite. But we're still waiting on that third one next year.
Speaker 4: But uh, will that one ever come out?
Speaker 2: Hopefully next year? Hopefully or yeah, next year, because if not, it's gonna be there's gonna be an internet meltdown because it's been four years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been hearing that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've been hearing that it's really good in a lot of different places. I might check it out. And I'm not a big Spidy person. I have a question for y'all that is tangentially related. It's a fairly recent adaptation, I guess of Spider Man. I guess it's more like an alternate Marvel, alternate universe of Nicholas Cage Spider Noir.
Speaker 4: Have y'all seen it? What do you think of it?
Speaker 3: But here's what I will say is I am a huge Nicholas Cage supporter, and so I should see it. I just have been locked into a bunch of other things.
Speaker 4: Like kind of into it.
Speaker 6: I was surprised because it looked really kitchy at first, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Cage listen if you want Cage to ham it up. There is literally nobody better in the game right now at going all in, and so I could see a world in which that's very good, but I have not seen it alas Morton, Daniel, have you seen.
Speaker 5: This not yet on my list? On my list? I, like I said, I just moved, and so I don't want to sit there and watch it on my phone. I need a brain television and I need some four K. I need some internet to actually make that thing go. So when that has been settled, that is on like my first one to watch list.
Speaker 3: Understandable. Well, you know, Donovan Mitchell isn't the only Spider Man in town when it comes to discussion topics on this podcast. Thank you so much for a very good steal, Morton. I will be checking it out at some point. I have a lot of stuff to do right now, but at some point I'll be able to squeak away to the movie theater and check that out, and maybe it will top Sam Mirani Spider Man two, but I'm not sure anyway. So Martin we brought you here to break down the Western Conference. We are going to be talking about the West both on its own in a vacuum, and also how it relates to the Boston Celtics. So we're gonna start off really quickly with just you know, taking stop as far as like where the Western Conference finished.
Speaker 4: I'm just pulling it up on my phone last year. It's on there. It's on there, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: If you look great, If you look great to the right, look at that clever little wit. The intern was actually smart for once.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, I'm just pulling this up now, my computers being actually slower than my phone though, so I'm actually going to read it off of my phone regardless. Thank you Intern for your hard work. So the Oklahoma City Thunder topped the Western Conference at sixty four and eighteen. The San Antonio Spurs were in second place, the eventual Western Conference winners at sixty two and twenty, followed up by Denver at fifty four and twenty eight. Los Angeles Lakers Clockton on the fourth seed fifty three and twenty nine. The Houston Rockets were fifty two and thirty in the five The Minnesota Timberwolves went forty nine and thirty three to clean the sixth seed, the Portland Trailblazers forty two and forty to go to seventh seed, and the Phoenix Suns got the eight seed at forty five and thirty seven. Los Angeles Clippers got the ninth seed at forty two and forty and the Golden State Warriors rounded out the play in picture at thirty seven and forty five. The Western Conference non playoff teams included the New Orleans Pelicans at twenty six and fifty six, followed by the Dallas Mavericks at twenty six and fifty six as well. New Orleans got that on the tiebreaker. The Memphis Grizzlies rounded out the let's see, that's the thirteenth spot twenty five, third and fifty seven. The Sacramento Kings had a dismal twenty two and sixty season, and the Utah Jazz finished with a tie for them in the worst record, got it on tiebreakers at twenty two and sixty and we're rewarded with Darren Peterson for all their hard work. So that was the Western Conference last year. And what we're gonna do is we're going to quickly break down what every team has done this offseason. I'm going to read the players that they added, Daniel is going to tell us who they lost, and Justin is going to inform us about any relevant injuries. We're just going to bomb right through that, and then we are going to talk about which of these teams looks like a contender Tier one contender, a Tier two contender, A to your three contender.
Speaker 4: Which will break down all that, and then.
Speaker 3: You know, some other questions broadly around the state of the West and the state of some of the other teams in the West. Finally, we are going to project where the West is going to go this year, and we are going to do so draft style, and we'll explain a little more when we get there. But basically how it's going to work is Morton, Justin and Daniel are going to draft kind of snake gish team snake style. Are going to draft different teams as to where they're going to finish one through fifteen. If there's a tie break, I will I will make my decision input we'll explain it later.
Speaker 4: It's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Anyway, really quickly, what is every Western team done? We'll start with the Dallas Mavericks, who added Santi al Dama, Zachary Risa Schet via trade, and Marcus Sasser Daniel who left the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they lost Chris Middleton, Ryan Nemhard, Martin Bagley, and A. J. Johnson, So no huge subtractions honestly.
Speaker 4: So justin what about injuries. Kyrie is theoretically going to be healthy, but it is a fairly substantial injury he's coming off of, So we'll see how he looks when.
Speaker 5: The season starts.
Speaker 4: We sure will.
Speaker 3: The Denver Nuggets are at least for the most part, running back the same roster with a big old Peyton Watson size question mark attached to that. He is still in RFA negotiations, but they did bring in Marvin Bagley just in case.
Speaker 4: Do they lose anybody Danielle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tim Harroway junior believe he went to the Heat and they almost lost Spencer Jones, but he came back and they matched the offer. But not a very busy offseason for.
Speaker 3: Denver Okay see almost poach Spencer Jones away. No major injuries. So we will move on to the Golden State Warriors, who have not added anybody. I'm pretty sure, right, I don't think the Warriors have added a single player in the off season other than yax O Lendberg who they drafted and Daniel Who have they lost?
Speaker 2: They lost BC Legend, Quinton Post.
Speaker 3: Goodbye Quentin Post. Yeah, I hope you have fun. He's in Memphis right now. I think yeah, maybe maybe. And then injuries are the story with this team, justin what's what's going.
Speaker 6: On that Jimmy Butler Moses Moody both dealing with some lower extremity issues. They will be out to.
Speaker 4: Start the season.
Speaker 6: They may come into action at some point during the season, but that is TBD.
Speaker 3: The Houston Rockets added Bogdan Bogdanovic and former Celtics and Ime Udoka standout defensive player of the Year guard Marcus Smart who if they.
Speaker 2: Lost Dorian Phinney Smith and Josh Kobe so gained a little defense? Lost low defense?
Speaker 4: And are there any injury questions with this roster?
Speaker 6: In a very Kyrie esque sort of way, we have a Fred van Vliet potentially returning to action. From what I hear, he is getting healthy and looks like he's ready to come back to the court, so he probably will be back on the court, but again we'll see how effective he is as a smaller guard on the wrong side of the age curve in theory.
Speaker 3: The Los Angeles Clippers have added Brandon Ingram and Grady Dick to their roster. They also have definitely added Ry Hachimura and John A. Brew As of yesterday Salary donc trade from Philly. We'll have to see if Brandon Ingram and Grady Dick are actually Los Angeles Clippers.
Speaker 4: Heading in to this coming year. Who have they lost?
Speaker 5: Daniel?
Speaker 2: So the Clippers lost Bogdanovitch, John Collins, and of course, as we're probably gonna talk about for the next few weeks, Kawhi hypothetically, now it feels maybe they didn't lose him after all.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 2: It's still under investigation. It's said from the ESPNA could last into next year two. I have a feeling cow I might be playing some games for the Clippers still, but.
Speaker 3: That would be a messy outcome today the least. We'll talk more about that later. The Los Angeles Lakers notably added Walker Kessler for the price a high price of four first round picks, along with Colin Sexton, Quentin Grimes, Sandro Mamukeshvilli, Kevon Looney, Latiste Tible, Jaden Hardy, and Zaire Willilliams. Busy offseason for the Los Angeles Lakers. Who did they lose Daniel? There were some notable folks on this.
Speaker 2: List, of course Lebron James, but not a son. DeAndre is still there, yeah, DeAndre, in which I don't think any Lakers fan is going to be mad about. Ruey Hachimoor, who we just talked about, Marcus Smart who we just talked about. Luke Kunario actually had some good minutes for them, and then Jackson Hayes two.
Speaker 3: The Jackson Hayes one is just a little crazy given how much he was riding specifically for Luka Doncriche to the point that he changed his citizenship to Slovenian. But nonetheless I digress. The Memphis Grizzlies added Jeremy Grant via trade with a notable player leaving them in that trade. They also added Isaiah Beef Stewart and then DeAngelo Russell, Chris Murray, the aforementioned Quentin Post from the Golden State Warriors, as well as A. J. Johnson, and they drafted some guy out a duke that seems pretty promising in Cameron Booze Daniel.
Speaker 4: Who did they lose?
Speaker 2: They lost Justin's favorite, Santi Albama. They just and of course they traded away John Morant to the Blazers.
Speaker 4: Yep. Any injuries with this team.
Speaker 3: Uh, Richie Saunders, Jacoby? I think maybe is it Richie or Jacoby? I don't know, it's one of them.
Speaker 6: I think it's Richie Saunders, the draft the draftic guy who came in. He he has an alter I think, and he shouldn't be able to play at some point in the season.
Speaker 4: But from my understanding, it's gonna be a while.
Speaker 3: I got a brush up on my h my Memphis deep bench guys clearly.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: The Minnesota Timberwolves added, notably LaMelo Ball along with Mogay Trey Lyles. And is that Dafonte Green I see there? Or is it Jeff Green? It's one of those Greets the other Green? Yeah, well there you go. Yeah, so they added those guys, Lamello, pretty interesting trade Dan the other side of that trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the trade away nas Reed, which is obviously a big deal. They lost Julius Randall believe it went to the Nets. Mike Conley. Of course, veteran went to the Celtics and they lost slow mo O.
Speaker 3: Kylie Anderson, Julius Randall. If you're looking for stuff to do in Brooklyn, hit me up. I got you any injuries, just him for this.
Speaker 6: Team, the big ragou. He is also recovering from an achilles injury if I remember correctly, and we'll be back at some point in the season, hopefully, but not to start.
Speaker 3: The New Orleans Pelicans have not done a whole lot this offseason, Daniel, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: They only lost Kevon Looney man. Who knows what this team is doing?
Speaker 1: This is une it back, hilarious offseason trade away, no assets, run it back with eleventh seeded team that hasn't really done anything even went healthy.
Speaker 2: Who knows what's gonna happen to them, but it might not be pretty.
Speaker 3: Trey Murphy is reportedly worth three first round picks, so you know, surely let be getting something back for that soon. The Oklahoma City thunder that the second apron clock is ticking.
Speaker 4: Daniel has more. What do we got?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They lost all members of their previous championship team, lou Dort, which is a pretty big deal for their defense Aaron Wiggins and then Isaiah Joe who gave him some shooting. So all guys were kind of beloved there for the most part. And the Celtics, I mean we suffered the same thing that the time is not on some of those teams side.
Speaker 4: No, for sure.
Speaker 3: The Phoenix Suns and notably added Miles Bridges via trade as well as Luke Canard who did they.
Speaker 4: Lose in that trade.
Speaker 2: Grayson allen and then they also lost Royce O'Neil, So both.
Speaker 3: Shooters and the Portland Trailblazers made the trade of their own, acquiring John Morant. They also added Micah Potter and Brandon Carlson. Who did they trade away for John Rant? We obviously mentioned Jeremy Grant earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that got lost Chris Murray and Matisse Tible, but that was in the trade, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that was separate dealing, I believe, Yeah, and letting him walk. The Zacarmano Kings have also not done a whole lot this offseason. They well, Daniel, you.
Speaker 2: Got more on that, yep, The lost Devin Carter shout out Province Shadow Biggie's hoops yea. Honestly, leaving the Kings is probably a good thing.
Speaker 3: The San Antonios. The San Antonio Spurs acquired veteran Tobias Harris. And outside of that, there's maybe some injuries to talk about, but anything else, JQ, what do you got?
Speaker 6: Jade Quaintan says an injury. I don't know what it is. I'm sorry, I don't. I'm not familiar with his injury or his game.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe Morton you remember, but I think he is recovering from like a lower leg torn meniscus or acl that he sustained this past year in college.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 5: I believe so it was pretty significant.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it was, which is why he his draft stock slipped a little bit. But he should be making before recovery, I think. And the Utah Jad finally added the aforementioned Jackson Hayes as well as Josh Okogie.
Speaker 4: Who did they lose?
Speaker 2: They finally traded away Walker Kessler after a lot of noise about that for a few years.
Speaker 3: Of course, they also added Darren Peterson with the number two pick. Pretty significant, all right, So that's roughly recapping the moves. We didn't cover all of the rookies drafted because there's a lot of them, but we covered.
Speaker 4: Something so don't usually impact things significantly, So.
Speaker 3: In the case of Boozer and Peterson, maybe so, but probably Yeah. So, just a couple of questions that we want to kind of jump into, like what you know before we do our formal rankings. So we have here kind of a general breakdown of who are the Tier one contenders, who are the Tier two teams which are like possible dark horse like maybe they sneak through the finals if they get you know, a good bracket and an injury here or there. And then tier three contenders were kind of defining as like a lot would need to go right, they need to get very lucky basically in order to actually make the finals. So without necessarily ranking them per se Morton, who do you have as your Tier one locked in? These teams should expect to go to like the Western Conference finals and be serious contenders.
Speaker 4: Teams, who have you got for this?
Speaker 5: Well, the San Antonio Spurs should be an absolute lock here, and I'm considering not adding the Oklahoma City Thunder, but I just can't necessarily get there because you know, Shay and they still have the depth. But I think what they lost this summer is more than what we're all seemingly willing to acknowledge, Like Aaron Wickins in a regular season context is so so underrated. This six to seven switchable wing, who can handle the ball, who can shoot off the catch, who can actually dribble drive himself into offense. You had, i say, a Joe who was canning like two and a half triples per game, like off the catch as well. For the most part, that's just a lot of spacing that's been lost, where like where's the replacement, where's that guy or several guys who are gonna take up that bantle And like, yeah, they're probably gonna float their way to fifty five sixty wins, But in the postseason, I just don't think at this current stage that their locked to just ease their way through to the conference finals if they don't have floor spacing. We've seen repeatedly over the years how big of an issue that is in the postseason. So that's why I'm toying with the idea of only having one team, the Spurs in Tier One. But like I'm not like married to the idea, Like I can you can convince me of adding the Thunder.
Speaker 3: If you want to very interesting just really quickly before we move on. If you want to see me react to gen Z memes, the only place that you can do that is on YouTube. You really should, you know, check out this podcast on YouTube for my reactions to things like that and other stuff.
Speaker 4: If you know, you know, please like and subscribe and follow on YouTube. It really does matter a lot.
Speaker 3: Anyway, moving on to the second tier contenders, well, I guess before we do that, JQ Daniel, anything that you would agree with or disagree with when it comes to that first year of contenders.
Speaker 2: I'd say agree. I mean Spurs, like Morton said that, that's obvious. They got to be in there. They got to be the favorite. In my opinion, Thunder, I would be a little more leaning against adding them to that tier. I think maybe they're hoping on aj Mitchell taking another leap. We saw it in the playoffs. He was awesome and then the check question mark is still there. Didn't have a great playoffs. I've honestly never been huge on him. He's obviously talented, but they're putting a lot on him in Jalen Williams health which waiver during the postseason, but I mean, we'll get more into it, but I don't think the rest of the West got notably stronger to where you have to put down the Thunder. But still I think the Spurs clearly than the Thunder, that the Spurs are number.
Speaker 5: One at the moment.
Speaker 4: I think there's actually.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: I'm actually not opposed to the idea of kind of maybe Q one B for the Thunder because for all the reasons that I've already been mentioned, but also Cassan Wallace is presumably going to be starting and taking them an entirely different role than he has, and there's been rumbles also the SGA is gonna be playing a bit more off ball, if not a lot more off ball, which like, how is that going to work in terms of how they play on the offensive end?
Speaker 4: So I'm really curious to see.
Speaker 6: How that ends up playing out, because it's not just that they are backfilling, but some of these players are going to be changing their roles significantly, and we haven't even touched on the fact.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if.
Speaker 6: That it's necessarily important, but Sja really wanted Dort to stick around, and he didn't, So what's that going to do to the chemistry like up and down the roster. So there's a lot of things I want to see.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what SGA's off ball stuff is going to definitely help with and that's a Victor Weman Yama's MVP odds.
Speaker 4: All right, So let's keep it moving there to the second tier.
Speaker 3: I will say there's a team that I think y'all are going to mention in the second tier that I believe has a decent shot to end the season as a first year contender.
Speaker 4: But I'll just throw that out to y'all, Morton, who do you have in your second tier?
Speaker 5: So I've been very disappointed about Denver lately, but I just there's just this thing with me where you have any call a Yokich like you just do. At some point something is going to materialize within that scheme. Like I don't think Christian Brown is as bad as we saw it last year. I think the real Christian Brown is somewhat a mixture of what we saw two years ago in the one year ago, depending on whether they make more moves. So they're just sitting with the current crop of players. We'll see what they do with the free agency stuff. But like I just can't rule out Denver. They were third in the West, in the in the Western Conference when things weren't even necessarily clicking. Perhaps a full training camp after having a whole year together with this current group that helps. I just have such a hard time, like just justifying to myself not having Denver in Tier two, even though I fully comprehend their challenges ahead, so them if we're putting Thunder there obviously, Like I actually like Justin's idea of putting Thunder in like a Tier one b atory. I think that's the most fair. So like the Nuggets and the Lakers, I think deserve to be in Tier two. And I just look, Minnesota is kind of on the bubble for me, like, I know that's your team, Alex, imagine the one that you were thinking about previously. That yeah, But I mean, I'm just gonna lay it out. I'm not a LaMelo guy whatsoever. I think he is such a problem child in so many different ways. Like I can see that his talent level is ridiculous, but I also think the meticulous liness of Anthony Edwards is going to be an either or situation, Like either Aunt is going to want to kill LaMelo after a couple months or they mesh, and if they mesh, Alex, then I'm on your side. Then if they mesh, everything is like kind of golden. I just think that is such a big ask.
Speaker 4: At this current stage, it might be a big ask.
Speaker 3: I will say I am pretty in on this Minnesota team just on the basis that I think the biggest thing they've been missing these past few years is a secondary ball handler who can play make for others and also score on their own, and the idea of LaMelo is that he should be that guy. I think he can be that guy. The big thing to me, the personality matters less than the health. He just needs to stay healthy and on the court more than anything. I think that ant is pretty clearly the alpha dog of that team, and I imagine LaMelo will fall in line. The other thing that I wanted to talk about with them, though, is I am pretty bullish on John Baron Jay as the starting four or at least a high velocity six man player for this team. I think that guy has some real talent and I think he could add a wrinkle of dynamic athleticism that you know. Nasriet and Julius Randall are both excellent scorers, and they are very talented players in their own right. But Baron Jay plays above the rim in a way that those guys don't and that I think could be pretty significant for Minnesota.
Speaker 4: But I would have them as.
Speaker 3: A borderline pier one for now I can't quite get because I need to see the fit, but I'm pretty bullish on that team, Daniel. Any Tier two contenders you want to mention here that haven't been.
Speaker 2: Said, No, really, I kind of mostly agree with Morton. Maybe it put the Timberwolves first, then the Nuggets, maybe sneak the Lakers in there at the end. I think the Nuggets is just like a Tatum and Brown Celtic situation. They have Jokichen Murray. I mean, you can't count them out. I don't think they'll shoot. They should be a favorite, especially since their offseason has been pretty lackluster. But they have those two guys. They know how to win together. They should be in the mix. Timberwolves, like you said, Alex, they I think their moves have definitely improved them, and I don't think you can say that about many West teams this season. Honestly, looking at all the addition subtractions we talked about.
Speaker 3: That's part of my case as well, is that I think the West might have sneakily gotten worse. But we'll talk a little bit about that later. Just in any other Tier two contenders to add.
Speaker 6: I really like what the Clippers have done theoretically, but I don't think it quite rises to the level of Tier two.
Speaker 4: I think they might be near the top of my Tier three.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I do not like what the Clippers have done very much, but that's just me, all right, So let's jump into tier three then, Morton, what do you think about the kind of like fringe contenders, like teams that will make the playoffs but probably need a lot of luck to make.
Speaker 4: Some real noise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not really high on a whole lot of other teams here than the ones that we've talked about. Like, I know that sounds crazy because you need to round out everything, so like, just by default, I'll have to save Phoenix. I guess like the Clippers, like Houston with the they have a chance. But I just I don't feel great about the vast majority of the Western Conference really, which is interesting because like when we when's it last year, everything was about, oh look at how dynamic the Western Conference is. I don't feel similarly this year whatsoever. Like the Blazers, Let's just take them as an example. When you have an owner who's become that cheap and who's just skirting on everything that's that probably means that you are going to lose games just by not having the eye on the ball. In terms of the details in the organization, like have there been allocated enough funds for scouting, for basketball research, for all those things. I don't think that those are legitimate questions to ask out loud, and in today's game, that can cost you wins and a lot of them. So I don't feel comfortable about them. Alex, I agree with you that the Clippers, like like what are they at this stage? I don't know? And the Warriors as well, like what is this team really except for old like and Phoenix. I'm just like, is it is anyone scared of Phoenix at all? Because I don't think anyone are like like, that's just such a team. That's It's like if hu Hum was a basketball team name, that would be the Suns. That's just where we are. I just I don't there's nothing here that excites me, like I'm almost tempted to just ask you, guys, can we just can we just delete Tier three? Like it's just so inconsequential, It's it's we're being honest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's probably no team that is going to realistically end up in the NBA Finals without several disasters happening simultaneously.
Speaker 3: So there's just one thing I want to mention, which is that I think the teams that I have in my brain for Tier three have no real shot of making the finals. But there are a couple of these younger teams that I think have a little potential to rise up a little bit in some of these rankings and make the playoffs.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm looking.
Speaker 3: At Dallas on his as a team that was not healthy last year. They were missing Kyrie Irving, and they were missing Derek Lively, who is quietly a huge part of that team. I think with a second year Cooper Flag, a healthy Kyrie Irving, and some of the additions that they made with Al Dama, I think Resa Jay in a deep bench roll is fine. I'm looking at Dallas as a potential playoff team here. I think that there's there's a world in which they're in the conversation, and while it is probably too early and realistically, I think it's going to be tough for them to be taken Seriously, I don't hate the way that.
Speaker 4: This Memphis Chrisly's team looks either.
Speaker 3: They don't really have a point guard, but they're gonna do some interesting stuff and they're gonna be really really big. They're gonna be like, profoundly annoyingly big, and I think on a night to night basis that can lead to some wins. But I do agree, outside of maybe Houston if they get really hot at the right time, I'm not I'm not really seeing a whole lot of like true third tier contenders. So let's let's jump into just a couple of other questions and then we'll get into our draft to close this thing out. Are there any teams here that screen disaster potential to you?
Speaker 5: Morton? Well, I look, I'm sorry to do this to you, Alex, but like the Wolves do have like the potential draw of the Yeah, look, I mean I I will say as much. I hope that I'm wrong because I always love it when players go to somewhere else and they redefine their own narrative. So, like I want LaMelo to redefine his own narrative. I struggle with that concept. And also, like they're big man play, there are just questions there. There are not a lot of size and Rudy Gobert is only going to get older. And let's just be real, He's not the same dude. He hasn't been the same dude for at least two years now. Defensively great around the rim, but you can attack him in space. There's so many things he should be able to do offensively that he just has never done. And I just wonder what that's going to do to the entire interior rotation if you have to tax him more offensively and defensively. He's getting older, and I don't think this is irrelevant, but like nobody really likes him, so everyone is targeting his ass, Like everyone is trying to put him on a poster. Everyone is trying to get him into Flowel Trouble, everyone is trying to show him up.
Speaker 4: That's a tough.
Speaker 5: Job going in and out every single night. So I question their big man death and the rotation overall. Oh and one final note, here's the thing, and I really hope that he turns his narrative around Jade McDaniels as the full time foreman. I need to see this dude finally do something more than just stand around with a thumb up somewhere and not do enough. Like he is six y nine, he's got long arms, he's supremely athletic. I can't modify the lack of rebounding. I can't justify because he's such a good, you know, guy getting inside, like into the paint area, Like, why he doesn't do it a whole bunch more. I don't understand why he doesn't take more open threes and just passes stuff up, Like this has to be the year with Randall gone, with nos gone, that he finally steps into that role and goes, this is mine. The thing is, we have like what five six years of evidence that he just doesn't do it. Yeah, And I can't ignore that level of data. I just can't. So I'm sitting with the current data that is Lamello is a wildcard and Jade McDaniels is frankly that as well. And I'm also sitting with the data point of their big Men rotation possibly be one of the worst in the entire NBA. So like, yeah, they have disaster potential, big time disaster potential.
Speaker 3: I am going to throw a team out here for disaster potential that I think we haven't talked about Jess yet, but I think is quite significant. I don't like where this Golden State team is headed at all. They are slower, They have not added anyone of substance. They are bringing back a Jimmy Butler with no contract extension off of a tour in acl Boy, are they putting a lot on Yakxell Lindenberg's shoulders and they missed out on Lebron in what I think is going to be maybe a handful of years left for Steph Curry at most. I mean Steph Curry is, of course amazing, all time great Hall of Fame player, but I don't like anything that I'm seeing out of the Warriors or this offseason. Even if Yaxll is good, it's just a huge ask for him to immediately step into the starting lineup and be a top tier NBA player. I am skeptical any other disaster candidates we need to name here.
Speaker 2: Fellas, I was gonna say, oh, yeah, you guys, you guys stole mine. I was gonna say the Warriors and the Rockets, because well, you laid it.
Speaker 4: Up, you give your reason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Last year we saw with the Warriors' health and they just got older. So I mean that's the same issues the Rockets. I mean, I obviously like Marcus Smart. All Celtics fans know what he can do, but I just feel like the chemistry is a little odd with Kevin Durant, the whole Twitter beef, the whole him talking about his teammates behind their backs that season just not really going that smoothly. And then Marcus Smart, who can be a bit ornery sometimes we saw him butt heads of JB.
Speaker 5: Back in the day.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I just don't love the chemistry or their offense really that much. I don't think they address some of these things. Yeah, yeah, they still have a few guys where defense first and offense second, and winning that way is kind of hard on the NBA, the modern NBA. And he may say what you want about him, but I haven't been super convinced by the job he's done with this Rockets team yet. And Kevin Durant is great, don't get me wrong, still great, but he's only gotten older.
Speaker 3: Are any of these potential disaster teams or other teams that we didn't name candidates for like blow it up as in like just detonate the whole franchise and you know, start over at ground zero. Anybody any of these jump out to you as possible blow it up candidates?
Speaker 5: Martin Houston a little bit, honestly, But it depends on how we define it, right, because Durand is getting so much older. Like, but I can see this being a year when they make a final call on Albert and Shingoom, they're gonna stick around with the Amen Thompson. They seem absolutely in love with your Barr Smith Junior for insert recent here that I still don't fully understand or comprehend. This is just such a weird team. This is such a weird team. I don't understand where they're trying to go from here, Like they have Fred Bandlee coming off the acl tair big whoop. This just seems like something's gotta give eventually, Like if they are deciding let's build around Amen Thompson, Reed Shepherd, that too seems like such a bad idea because like none of those guys have like the you know, superstar upside. I just don't know who that dude is from Houston, where you go, this is the guy to go for. Also at the trade deadline or even before the season, they're probably gonna be sellers because they're one point two million dollars over the tax level. Tilma Fertida is gonna look at that and go, am I gonna pay one point two million over the tax line and not receive the uxury tax payment for this franchise. So I envisioned someone's getting traded eventually just to save money, like they are a future salary dump trade away from getting under the tax line. This is going to be an unseerious franchise for a while. They're not going to go anywhere. I'm guessing KD is probably going to be gone by the trade deadline as well. That wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 4: This is a team that I fall George.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, that's frankly within the realm of possibility. I wouldn't even be shocked if, like the Spurs get in on the Durant sweepstakes during the trade deadline, Like, there are so many ways to facilitate something here. I just don't understand this roster whatsoever. And it seems like this is also going to be the last year they roll this out because it has to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's entirely possible. I will say, I think there are not really a ton of blow it up teams right now. I think so it's not a true blow it up team. But the second Apron is absolutely coming for the Oklahoma City Thunder. They are going to have to shed more salary, but that's not really a true blow it up. What I will say is there are two teams here that we're going to talk about in just a minute that I think might be on blow it Up Watch to some degree. But I'm just going to go out and say I know that you know where I'm going to I'm going to come out and say it. I am very skeptical that Denver or Golden State will ever trade Nikola Jokic or Steph Curry respectively, even if their teams become bad. Morton, do you have any thoughts on that. Are those guys lifers or is there a chance?
Speaker 5: Oh their lifers as long as they want to be. We know Steph wants to. Jokis just said his preference is to stay in Denver, but that does not mean, he's necessarily as committal to them because he also wants to win. One of my big pet peeves has been the narrative going around the joke doesn't care about basketball. That it started out as a joke, but then you know, social media caught win of it, and then it started to become like, oh, but he doesn't like basketball, which is just so preposterous that my European mind is melting. So I think he is so competitive that he wants to find a situation where he can win another title. But I also think he's gonna give the Nuggets one more go, and I think that goes a little bit different. I don't think it's a let's give it one more season, guys. I think it's a, hey, here's what you're gonna do. You're either going to get me Luka Dantach or I'm going to find a way to play with Luka Dantach elsewhere. Those two are immensely close, and they compliment each other on a basketball court so beautifully in terms of their respective skill sets, and they're keenly aware of that, both of them. So my take here is eventually, somehow, some way, we're going to see those two guys on a basketball court at the same time wearing the same jersey. Is that going to be in Denver or is it going to be in Los Angeles. Is going to be a third place. I don't know yet. We'll figure that out, but that's what I think is going to be. Yoki's claim for for Denver is basically saying, get me this guy or I'm I'm leaving.
Speaker 4: Well, that's all the time we have. I need to go for three hours. I knew I was just kidding.
Speaker 3: I would be so upset if Nicole Kicic played for the Los Angeles Lakers.
Speaker 5: I will just I think we all would.
Speaker 4: I would not not enjoy that at all.
Speaker 5: I don't think he was. It's the Lakers. It's too big of a media market. I think he would be miserable, h at least off the court. But like with him and Luca, like at least there's going to be entertainment value. I have to say that is true.
Speaker 3: What I will say about the Yoka Chates basketball point is, guys, Jokic has never hated basketball. What Yokic doesn't like is the NBA. He doesn't like the pageantry and the ridiculous like All Star Game, shenanigans and the media coverage. He loves basketball and he's very competitive. My take has always been that Jokic's surly demeanor has far less to do with what's happening on the court and far more to do with what is happening off the court.
Speaker 5: That is correct, sir? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Anyways, all right, so we do have to talk about this.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna rapid fire through a couple more points before we get into our draft, and we're just gonna be pretty quick with that. Again, it's going to be a snake style draft, but we do have to talk about, like the kind of proverbial elephant in the room, is Kawhi Leonard gonna be in the Western Conference next year?
Speaker 2: More?
Speaker 3: Do you have anything on this never ending saga?
Speaker 5: The only thing I have is that the league wants to get this done. They have to push it into twenty twenty seven because I don't think they want to give anyone a timeline of pressure. I think they want to do this in the most thorough manner possible, and I also think they want to buy themselves time to figure out how can we, also from a pr perspective, survive this, Like how can we actually find the right punishment for the right people like, should Kawhi be involved in that punishment personally? That's I think that's a more nuanced layer because a lot of people are basically saying, well, he didn't know his team just did this, and he was like, all right, sure, because it's not the player's responsibility of adhering to the salary cap or the CBA. I think that is where people go a little bit too much in the wrong side, because yes, it's a mutual responsibility for both team and player, but no, no, no, don't go.
Speaker 4: Okay real quickly.
Speaker 6: I do think that they should avoid punishing Kawhi, not for the reasons you suggested it, but just because they want to actually prevent this again in the future. They want to keep this as short as possible, they want to not involve the players Association, in my opinion, and getting this judgment done. There's always already been reporting saying that if the sides don't do not agree, that this could go to arbitration, which is exactly what the league does not want to deal with. So my proposal is just fine, whatever punishment you come up with, make it the team because they bear the primary responsibility, and it will be a lot easier by not having the players Association involved. The primary focus here is preventing it from happening in the future. So to do that they should go with the most Oukham's raisers, straight to the point. Let's get it done. Let's get rid of all other things. Our focus is preventing it.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yep, I agree, We'll see, We'll see how that goes. I mean, god, what a mess. They really do need to get this done, and they need to get it done before. Like, I'm not even that they should not drag this into twenty twenty seven. They need to get this done before the season starts. It's going to look really bad if they let it drag into twenty twenty seven. Portland Trailblazers are looking pretty cheap, and there's rumors of relocation. Tom Dundon is reportedly not happy with the fact that the City of Portland is not willing to give him carte blanche taxpayer financing for a new arena. Any thoughts on this, Morton.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, this is new owner syndrome all over again, just in a different way than we're used to. This is immensely stupid. I don't think you're going to interear yourself to your fan base, to the league at large, to virtually everyone anyone. I think what Tom dunnan is doing right now is just being alienating towards the broader NBA community, And he'll probably figure out in about three years time that he has to adjust himself. Like we saw when Vivekrono div came in with Sacramento, he started suggesting like four on five basketball.
Speaker 4: And like he was all over man, that was so cool.
Speaker 5: That was just so weird and so odd, and like then he finally started realizing, oh, maybe maybe I should let the basketball be up to the basketball people, and maybe I should listen to their preferences. But Tom Dunnan is the same, Like he's in that same Montra right now where he's coming in as this new owner saying no, no, no, I have the solution. Eighty years of basketball doesn't have anything on me because I'm rich, which is just the worst argument for anything ever. So I I just don't have a take on what's going to happen because if he's just not at all in tuned with fan bases or the league at large, he's gonna do whatever the hell he wants to. He shouldn't, but he's going to. So my thing is just I hear you, Blazers fans. I feel with you, and I hope that eventually you're gonna get a new ownership group that actually understands what it takes to invest into a team, because yes, it is expensive to have a successful NBA franchise. Just because his NHL team did well, he's like, oh, I can apply this to basketball. You can't, sir, you just can't. And it's amazing to me that these rich people are just so convinced of themselves all the freaking time. So just God speed Portland fans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see about relocation.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know Tom Dunnan has been threatening that it's always a possibility. I have to say, I think the logistics of a relocation strike me as a little implausible, at least at this time when the NBA is certainly looking to expand really quickly. Just talking about the Western Conference future, it seems like we're pretty now set on Vegas and Seattle as the expansion teams, which means that the West is going to have to change. Are there any so what there's been kind of three rumored teams that would move to the Eastern Conference, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Memphis. First off, I'm going to kick it to you and you, Daniel and Justin Celtics fan hat on which of these teams do you want in the East and which of these teams do you least want in the East. Consider that this probably isn't going to be happening until like twenty twenty eight or twenty thirty or something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, easy answer for now, probably the Pelicans that you would want. Granted twenty twenty eight, who knows, Maybe they stunk so bad that they got a good draft pick and they have some generational player. But the guys calling the shots right now, speaking of bad owners they have that I don't think. I don't trust them to make the right basketball decisions and be in a good place even in a few years. So probably the Pelicans the Celtics would want in the East.
Speaker 4: Justin, who would they not want?
Speaker 6: I would probably say the Timberwolves because they look like the team of the three teams that has the most likelihood of being good in the short term and potentially long term. I think that they are well positioned to rebuild the team after its current construction in the future as well.
Speaker 4: Around and for.
Speaker 6: Another iteration, there's a case that Memphis has I think as well, depending on how you see. They have not done so great in managing that roster in recent years, but they have some good seeds there. It's going to be Minnesota for travel purposes. But I think this is going to be really interesting to see how it pans out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will say it.
Speaker 3: I think I would act actually like to see the Minnesota Timberwolves in the East, regardless of whether they are the best and most threatening of those teams, just because I think it would make for a more competitive and fun NBA season.
Speaker 4: I'll say it.
Speaker 3: All right, it's time to get into this draft and then we're going to get out of here. So this is how this is going to work. We're going to go Are we going to go snake draft? Do we establish that?
Speaker 4: Let's just a regular let's do regular simple.
Speaker 3: Morton will get the first pick for who the number one seed is. Then Justin will get to pick who the two seed is. Then Daniel will get to pick who the three seed is. I think we should do snake draft for fairness. So then Daniel will get the fourth pick, Justin will get the fifth pick, Morton will get the sixth pick. And how this will work is basically, people will make their picks and if anyone objects, then I will step in as the QB of this draft and I will rule one way or the other as to who is right, so that we can come up with a top fifteen in order by the end of this pod, and then we'll close things out. We'll start with you, Morton, who is going to be the number one seed in the Western Conference this year?
Speaker 5: The San Antonio Spurs baby, because look, this team is primed and ready. It all comes down to the health of wickdim and Butiama, and look, this is going to be year two of Dylan Harper, year three of Stefan Castle. Like, even if Daron Fox is off to a slow start, they can even pivot during the trade deadline and move him for debt or initiate some larger scheme, maybe involved him in a trade for Kevin Durant. Like, there's just so many different avenues they can go here. I just fail to see them at anything but number one.
Speaker 3: Any disagreements on this point, Nope, send it the San Antonio Spurs will be the number one seed. Justin who's going to be the number two seed in the Western Comforts?
Speaker 6: In what must be some really suspenseful and excellent podcasting, I'm going with a.
Speaker 3: Thunder, Oklahoma City Thunder. Any objections as the number two seed, Daniel or Morton?
Speaker 5: Nope?
Speaker 2: Nope none.
Speaker 3: All right, Daniel, you have number three and four? Who will be the third and fourth seeds in the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: I could be boring here. I mean, I'm still not even really convinced because I feel like it's a drop off from one to two. But I'm gonna say maybe Lakers for three. I could see Luka Doncicic being healthy for regular season helping them along get a good seed. Beyond that, I don't know. His health obviously was not great in the playoffs. He missed it all, so that's been a question mark. But regular season only, And then I'll say the Nuggets. I mean, like we said before, they have Yokic, they have Murray. They should be in that mix somewhere. They haven't really been a great regular season team historically. I feel like they kind of show up in the playoffs more so, Yeah, I'll put them down at four.
Speaker 4: Any objections to three, three, or four as the Los.
Speaker 3: Angeles Lakers and Denver Nuggets, respectively, Justin or more than Hope?
Speaker 5: Justin?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Wow, all right, shock all the way. Then I guess we'll go to Justin. Who is going to be the number five seed in the Western Conference? Minnesota, the Minnesota Timberwolves. Any objections to this, Daniel or Morton.
Speaker 5: No, I'm gonna take the optimistic approach to this one. I do think they still have the potential for disaster, but if everything holds up, I actually agree that that's a solid choice.
Speaker 3: All right, Mortin, you will have the sixth and seventh pick, as it is a Snake draft. So who is going to be the sixth and seven seeds in the Western Conference?
Speaker 5: So in whatever order you choose, Houston or Phoenix, and frankly, it does not matter. We can have to make a pick. Oh God, all right, let's just say the Suns because at least there's some level of symmetry I guess to a certain extent with their roster. And then Houston number seven, even though that's a team that's just weird.
Speaker 3: Justin, Daniel, any disagreements on the order of Phoenix, or Houston here.
Speaker 4: I'd probably flip them, but I pretty much agree.
Speaker 2: I would like I would like to see maybe sneaky pick like the Blazers or Mavericks in here instead the Sons. I could see maybe the Rockets. I think you have to put in that mix. But I think maybe the Sons could get replaced by a Blazers team that obviously they don't have the best owner, but sol Jah Morant, Drew Holliday, they.
Speaker 5: Have some talent.
Speaker 2: Then. I mean, the MAVs got Cooper Flag, Kyrie's hopefully coming back, Clay should hopefully be a bit better kind of a wild card, but they have talent with Cooper Flag, so I think you got to put them in the Necks.
Speaker 3: Maybe for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to step in and only deal with the six and seven in Houston or Phoenix, just given that there's so many other potential options, and I am going to say that the Houston Rockets are better than the Phoenix Suns, and they will be the sixth seed and the Suns will be the seventh seed. That is the veto of the pod QB. Marcus Smart is making the playoffs. He is not going to be in the play in tournament. That's my guy for real, all right? Justin Quinn, who will be the number eight seed in the Western Conference?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm gonna go with Portland just because they have improved their roster and they are they also have a pretty good amount of talent. They're still pretty young, but they showed some flashes of growth. So for me, I think they're going to be our number seventeen.
Speaker 3: Any objections to the Portland Trailblazers at eight, No, that's fine. Nope, Daniel all right, and so Daniel, you will get the number nine and ten seeds?
Speaker 4: Who we got?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nine, I'm gonna say Mavericks like I was saying for me and Cooper flag at a great season. I just think there's a lot to like about him if he feels like a guy who's going to be a perennial star at some point, so maybe throw him in there. Hopefully they get more healthy.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's the Mavericks at nine. Just to be clear, Justin Oh no, excuse me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was going to object because that is the person who I was, the person the team that I was thinking of with an asterisk, Could there could be a better option out there. If Kawhi Leonard remains a member of the Clippers, I could see with the other moves that they've made that this team could challenge for that spot. But otherwise I agree.
Speaker 3: So just to be clear, dear listener, the debate right now is will the Dallas Mavericks or the Los Angeles Clippers be at the number nine seed? And I am going to weigh in with the QB veto and say that Daniel's initial instinct is correct. The Dallas Mavericks will be the nine seed. So who do you have as the ten seed?
Speaker 2: Daniel, the Clippers? I could be interested in that. I feel like Kawhi would be a guy. He wouldn't like pout if the trade went wrong, he would still play. Yeah, I mean he played well last season. But uh, let me see what other candidates we got. Is anybody more enticing Memphis Morton?
Speaker 4: Do you have anyone to throw in here? As it possible?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I think the Clippers is right because TYLERU is an underrated coach. He'll squeeze out like five wins on a season just by him being him, and that's actually quite substantial for a coach. I think Garland found his strides as a Clipper. That made a little bit more sense, Like I don't love what the Clippers have done. Like I'm not gonna sit here and say they've been fantastic like I but they top five pick. They also might be well, we don't really know what the Benedict Mathod situation is going to end up like, but like if they retain him somehow way, unless I missed some news today, like no, he's still in the market, right, that could be something. And I just think it's a it's an organization that's professional. And they crossed their eyes and dot their t or sorry, crosses their te's and touts their eyes. Of course, hey look it's past midnight here. So I don't hate them at ten. I could even see them higher. But I'm not going to fight it because I think everything that's been said has been very very reasonable.
Speaker 3: Justin, do you have any objections to the Clippers at ten? No, Daniel, are you swayed?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Their question mark, but I think it's it's an appropriate answer for now.
Speaker 4: Then, Justin, who will be the eleven seed? I'm gonna go with Memphis, the Memphis Grizzlies. Any objection to the grizz at eleven.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: Not seeing any.
Speaker 3: All right, Martin, you will get the twelve and thirteen spots in the Western Conference.
Speaker 5: Will let's start off with the Golden State Warriors. I think that seems to be a fitting, you know, position for them twelve seed. Like, I'm not gonna say they don't have potential for more, but as of right now, I think they need to show us that at the very least. So who have we missed here? Or are we down in the slot?
Speaker 6: So I'm gonna object a little bit because I think that you're gonna arrive at the team that I'm thinking of next, But I think they should be first because this is a younger players league the way that depth and youth has been impacting scoring. So I'm gonna say that the Jazz should actually be in the twelfth spot with the Warriors in the thirteenth spot.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't hate that argument. I think that's fair. We can do that. We can absolutely do that because like again Darren.
Speaker 4: Peterson, yeah, Daniel, any objections to that, I.
Speaker 2: Would probably give the edge to the Warriors, honest, just because I curry.
Speaker 4: Alex gets to the deciding vote. I do get the deciding vote, and I'm going Jazz mode. I like this Jazz roster.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be a little frisky, and I think Will Hardy.
Speaker 4: Will Hardy is so tired of this team being terrible.
Speaker 3: So I think they're going to actually win some games and try this year, Whereas I think the Warriors have really high potential for Steph Curry has an injury by the All Star break. Weird that that happened. We won't be seeing him for the rest of the season. That's where I'm waiting.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So then justin you're going to get the fourteenth pick, you have two teams to choose from remaining. Assuming we have the Jazz at twelve and the Warriors at thirteen, who have you got for the fourteenth spot?
Speaker 6: Well, I guess I'm technically picking both. Realistically, I think the Pelicans have at least a chance at not being an absolutely terrible team. I think they're still going to be, but at least they have a chance. I do not think the Kings have any There's gonna be the Kings for the foreseeable future. So I think that it's going to be the Pelicans.
Speaker 3: Next, Daniel Morton, any objections to Pelicans fourteen, Kings fifteen.
Speaker 5: Nine is perfectly all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're in the drags right now, I will say, I mean, I'm fine keeping it this way. I think there is a world in which the Pelicans will be the worst team, but it's splitting Harris at this point.
Speaker 4: All right. That's our Western Conference.
Speaker 3: Just to recap, we have the San Antonio Spurs at one, the Thunder at two, the Lakers at three, Denver at four, Minnesota at five, Houston at six, Phoenix at seven, Portland at eight, Dallas at nine, the Clippers at ten, the Grizzlies at eleven, Jazz at twelve, Warriors thirteen, Pelicans fourteen, and Sacramento Kings bringing up the caboose at fifteen. Morton, thank you so much for joining us. Where can we find your work?
Speaker 5: You can find my work over at Yahoo Sports and the NBA podcast, And if somehow you understand Danish, you can find me at the podcast Buzzer Beat, or catch me calling games at HBO Mex.
Speaker 4: Daniel, where can we find your work?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right here and have the check stol the pod or Celtics Wire or Twitter at Daniel d one two one four. There's some stuff still going on there.
Speaker 4: Just what he said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, there you go, and you can find my work by following me on Instagram or Blue Sky if you want. But I'm just going to be posting mostly about the various bands that I'm in. I'm in too many bands. That's why i have no time outside of this podcast, because I mean too many bands. But I'll post about those there if you want to check that out. This has been another fabulous episode of Hai Chexsol. The pod as always to close out with something to remember or something to forget. Morton, this is your first time doing this, so we're going to model for you something to remember or something to forget. Could be about your job, your life, the Celtics, basketball, broadly, Danish culture, spider Man, whatever you want to take it. How it goes, is something like this. Justin I am going to remember that sometimes in the dog days of July, when you know things are really slowing down in all different aspects of your life, it's important to just reset to a somewhat consistent routine, even after you have done some traveling. It can do wonders for your mental health. If you are like me and need basic structure in life in order to make a turbulent and crazy world feel a little more sane. I would recommend just structuring your day at least a little bit.
Speaker 4: That's something to advice myself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I echo all of that, And I'm also going to remember to remind the intern we do this exercise for the East to make sure they include all of the lottery picks that are in the Eastern Conference as well.
Speaker 4: To note, Danielle, do you have something to remember and or forget?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to remember this offseason where Brad Stevens took one of the biggest reputation gambles ever trading a beloved Celtics star, Jame with Brown to a rival, and then that's kind of leading to a hated rival Lebron James going to the rival Sixers in just a potential for this to go really badly or him to look ahead of the curve. It's a big gamble. Some people are saying it's obvious that the Sixers are gonna be great. Some people think it's obvious that it's going to backfire. I think it's I don't know, It's not that easy to predict. But I think it's gonna be risky no matter what.
Speaker 3: It's kind of crazy that we barely talked about the Celtics here on Havljak and stole the pot on this episode.
Speaker 4: Morton close us out something to remember, to forget.
Speaker 5: Something to remember, all right, I am going to remember that sometimes a player can force us all to fall on our ass when he hits seven threes in his opening Summer League game, after having hit a grand total of seven threes at you and C the year before, proving once and for all, oh my god, every analysis we did on this guy throughout the entire year has just gone to bits because he's a completely different player. I am, of course talking about callables and who just oh not mine. But that's that is something I'm going to remember, because like I always spend time like reading up and watching prospects, and sometimes you can get stuck in the mud with certain analysis and then the guy just comes out, flips your the finger and goes, hi, I am not anything like that, and you just have to own it, and you have to tear up your scouting report, you have to throw it in the trash, and you have to say good on user. I am going to follow your career with a brand new set of eyes.
Speaker 4: Morton, are you implying that team context matters a great deal to how we perceive various players?
Speaker 3: I know, right, crazy shocking another Morton hot take to close out another terrific episode of.
Speaker 5: Having abjective.
Speaker 4: Contact.
Speaker 2: They have a magazine at all, all old sty have hm. Hm,