Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you and I would have been able to tell you who was the governor of Minnesota in three weeks ago.
Speaker 1: I will tell you I would not have been able to tell you. Do you hear that, like that's the sound of all the momentum grinding to a halt.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Tim Wallas, governor of Minnesota, has been chosen as Vice President Kamala Harris's vice presidential running mate.
Speaker 4: We have a lot of you know, a lot of diverse ideas.
Speaker 3: It's a bit like herding cats.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, we understand this about two visions of America. One that's a decent man in Joe Biden that cares about what happens to the middle class, and then there's Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: The contrast is too great. Obviously that was taken.
Speaker 2: The comment was made before Joe Biden dropped out of the race and Kamala Harris stepped in.
Speaker 5: But what does that guy eat? That is a hard sixty?
Speaker 2: Well, he claims. Okay, so I saw this funny quote. He said he claimed he lost his hair and it went gray because he was the he was.
Speaker 5: School yard supervising right for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's like, no, no, no, well he's got a dui in his past. Well, I mean, listen, I don't think anybody cares, but there's that. That's probably the least problems that we could see in politicians these days. Joe Khalil is joining us live from Washington. He is a correspondent for News Nation with more on this decision.
Speaker 3: And Joe, did you.
Speaker 2: Have any inkling, any idea that Tim Walls was even in the short list?
Speaker 3: Perhaps?
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, you know, when it came down to three, it was Shapiro and Kelly and Waltz. And when those names first arose, I think there was a tendency for a lot of people to think Shapiro and Kelly were more of the heavyweights and the more likely choices. You know. Having said that, if you are a Democrat and the Harris campaign, you know, there is a lot to like there from Waltz that he brings to the table. You know, his personal background when people start to dig in, yeah, he was a school teacher. He was a football coach, He's also a veteran and actually, at one point while serving in Congress was the highest ranking active duty military member ever to be serving in Congress at the same time, that was all before he became governor. He's known as a moderate before becoming governor of Minnesota, and you look at his governing record, it has certainly become more progressive. And you talk about some of the things that the right wing is going to be digging him on the Trump campaign already on some of the progressive policies and bills that he's signed into law. But his persona I think certainly fits that sort of Midwestern moderate guy. He's a dad who you know, takes his daughter to the fair, puts those videos out. So I think, of you, the Harris campaign, maybe that persona is what you were looking for that you can argue the merits about whether you know, leaving chip Buro or Kelly behind and taking Walt instead is good or bad, and they all had strengths and weaknesses. I think it'll be interesting in the next twenty four hours to see the reaction from both sides that comes out, how the Harris campaign props him up, and how the Trump campaign tries to carry him down here.
Speaker 1: This is a strategic move, and we expect nothing less from Kamala Harris. That's what she does, That's how she's gotten to where she is is strategy. Whatever way the wind is blowing, whatever's politically advantageous for her, that is the route she is going to take. I feel like with this pick, they're betting on people swing voters being stupid. They're betting on this guy trying to stabilize a ticket of a.
Speaker 5: Woman of color.
Speaker 1: Here you have your white male that looks like like you are highlighting salt of the earth, goes to the fair, he's from Nebraska, all of that to kind of make people feel like this is a more legit ticket.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean certainly, I think that what they wanted to do in the profile right was pretty clear because you look at all the people who were in that contention. All of them were white males, every single one that was you know, at least being in the interview process. I mean think with anybody, not just Kamala Harris, but with any candidate, the idea behind a VP, the sort of governing rule is number one, do no harm. So you know, I think maybe they achieved that there were discussions you know about Josh Shapiro and whether you know some of the comments he made about the war in Israel and Gaza was going to hurt with progressive voters. Certainly, you know, the Harris campaign is going to need those progressive voters. But I think what they are thinking is they want that persona as you mentioned, They want someone who you know, sort of speaks the language that voters in the Midwest kind of identify with. And I mean, this is the guy who you know takes regular hunting trips and that kind of thing. So that is I think the strategy every campaign is you try to find an advantage and maybe you know, either shore up some voters and some bases that you may have vulnerabilities with as a candidate. I think in this case, the Harris campaign probably no different in their mindset. There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is but then again, I mean the problem is do vice president choices ever really make a huge difference.
Speaker 3: And I mean he's not the guy.
Speaker 1: Historically no, Yeah, but make no mistakes, right, It's like Joe, thank you, appreciate your time there, but make no mistake. The way he looks is not the way he votes. He's the most liberal out of the choices.
Speaker 2: Which so I'm trying to find out about this guy. Like I said, I've never spent half a second learning about Tim Wallas. I've seen him lately, just because his name has sort of floated to the top over the course of the last I don't know, five seven days something like that. He did at one point get an A rating from the NRA that flipped and is now he gets an F rating from them. But he was in was It Guns and Ammo magazine back in twenty sixteen put him on the list of top twenty politicians for gun owners. He has I don't know if he's changed his tune or if the NRA has changed their tune, but he says he gets an F from them now, and he says I sleep just fine. Has belah unleashed a new drone and rocket attack on Israel today but said this is just a taste, of course. A couple of military sites near Akra in northern Israel, and an Israeli military vehicle at another location were among the spots that were targeted in this attack. Also, The New York Times is reporting that Russia has been sending air defense systems to Iran as they prepare for this attack against Israel, Russia started to deliver advanced radars and air defense equipment.
Speaker 1: The Trump campaign, attacking the running mate selection of Tim Walls, campaign's press secretary called him a West Coast wannabe who is a dangerously liberal extremist. They wasted no time in branding the ticket to the most liberal ticket in American history. Also, I think Trump went to Truth Social and said something like, if this guy's elected, it will be hell on Earth.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, of the four people now, of the four at the tops of the tickets, Trump, Harris jd Vance, and Tim Walls, Tim Walls is a better speaker than the three, the other three.
Speaker 3: By by miles, you know what.
Speaker 1: He He's a plane speaking person. He came from the real world, which we appreciate. We like that idea of going back to politics or politicians not being career politicians, people that have real world experience. So that's why he's a better speaker, is because he knows how to be a human.
Speaker 2: This is just an example, this one again from I believe it was last week, so before Tim Walls was chosen as the vice presidential running mate, he was on MSNBC talking about JD.
Speaker 6: Vans.
Speaker 4: People like JD. Vans know nothing about small town America. Four hundred people in it, twenty four kids of my graduating class, twelve were cousins. And he gets it all wrong. It's a not about hate, it's not about collapsing in the Golden rule. There is mind your own damn business. Their policies are what destroyed rural America.
Speaker 3: They've divided us.
Speaker 4: They're in our exam rooms, they're telling us what books to read.
Speaker 3: And I think what Kamala.
Speaker 4: Harris knows is bringing people together around the shared values. Strong public schools, strong labor unions that create the middle class, healthcare that's affordable and accessible. Those are the things you look what they're talking about. They went right to division. They did not give us a plan on healthcare. Donald Trump talked about infrastructure.
Speaker 1: He was the one that really solidified the whole. They're weird messaging. Oh yes, so he was the one. And that's what I'm saying about being a plane speaker as well. He was born and raised small town, Nebraska. Became a teacher, first in China, then in Nebraska, finally in man Cato, Minnesota. He taught geography coached the high school football team. He does speak Mandarin from his time in China. I don't know how much Mandarin. That's a tough ask. He met his wife when they had temporary classrooms at that high school in Mankato, and she remembered that her first impression of him was that he annoyed her because he was so loud she could hear him from her temporary classroom. His voice would breach the walls.
Speaker 3: Match made in Heaven and there you go.
Speaker 1: He was the faculty advisor for the school's first Gay Straight Alliance chapter.
Speaker 5: In ninety nine, twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, long before the gay rights were a thing a push in two thousand and eight. Right served in the Army National Guard for twenty four I mean he checks all the boxes. He enlisted at the age of seventeen. And yes, he has a penchant for diet mountain dew, just like JD.
Speaker 5: Vance.
Speaker 2: I do love his Tater Todd hot dish apparently, which won the Minnesota Congressional Delegation Hot Dish off in it ten years ago. Tater Tots and geese, I mean, and diabetes. Maybe throw in a couple of you know, if you're Minnesota, I don't know, some kilbasa or something.
Speaker 1: My god, I saw a commercial for a restaurant chain, and I don't know what we're doing, but it was like, you know.
Speaker 3: We're doing We're getting fatter.
Speaker 1: Why are we leaning into it? Why are we saying, hey, you can have a cheeseburger, a chicken sandwich, a stack of pancakes, and three bags of french.
Speaker 2: Because you can also you can also The next commercial was for ozempic Wagov cocktail.
Speaker 5: I hate where we're at.
Speaker 2: So the thing that we can't ignore about this is everybody yesterday thought Josh Shapiro was the guy the governor of Pennsylvania, and there was some pushback from the farthest left portions of this party because even though he may be pro Israel, which generally is an American, the majority of Americans are pro.
Speaker 1: Isray dirty label right now for the progressives. And my first thought this morning was, it's not going to be Josh Shapiro. I know I'm fun at parties, but it really was the first thing I got up, and I'm like, it's not going to be Josh Shaperia because hey, honey, no, but I've sensed this growing unease with the party. And I think it was because he was this election. She was going to make the announcement in Pennsylvania today. It had to be Josh Shapiro. It would be an f and U if they did it without him. But then all of the chatter online and on social media from all the pro Palestinian people was we are going to wreak havoc at the DNC, and that's a bad look.
Speaker 5: You don't bounce back from.
Speaker 1: Part of your party comple not only just ignoring you, but rioting at your coming out show it.
Speaker 3: And it's not that Tim Walls is.
Speaker 2: More conservative or less conservative then than Joshapiro when it comes to the issue of Israel.
Speaker 3: It's that he's not Jewish right.
Speaker 2: And if that's true, I mean, if that's what they the calculus that they used, that's I mean politically fine, but culturally that's an awful reason.
Speaker 1: It is awful, But it's exactly why they didn't choose him. That's the only reason. Here's what the conservatives are losing their minds over is this quote from Walls. Don't ever shy away from our progressive values. He said, one person's socialism is another person's neighborliness.
Speaker 5: So everyone's losing their mind over that boy.
Speaker 2: Later in the show, we're going to give you an update on Freddie Freeman. That news conference that he gave yesterday pregame an update on his own son and the glam.
Speaker 3: Glam bororet.
Speaker 5: I'm not a doctor. I didn't hear the press conference.
Speaker 3: It's going to get you.
Speaker 5: I know what it was.
Speaker 3: We'll get you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Tampon Tim is picking up steam on X. This is the state that we talked about. The passed a bill. Some of the most progressive laws in Minnesota's history were passed in the last two years because the Democrats held a trifecta in the state government. So one of those laws is the one we spoke about when we heard about It requires public schools in Minnesota to stock menstrual products in all girls and boys bathrooms at no charge to students. This bill went into effect in January for students in grades four to twelve. The Democrat who pioneered the measure said that it was a wise investment because it would keep students from missing school due to period poverty.
Speaker 3: Say that last part again.
Speaker 1: Period poverty. She said, one out of every ten menstruating youth miss school during their cycle due to a lack of access to.
Speaker 5: Products and resources. That's not why they miss it.
Speaker 1: They miss it because they're in a bad mood and they do not want to go to school.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 5: What did you want to go back.
Speaker 2: To men's mens treating youth? Yes, that's that's what it's like birthing people.
Speaker 1: Well, a Republican back to amendment wanted to add the word female to the bill.
Speaker 5: That failed and committee.
Speaker 1: And the writer of this said, not all students who menstrate are female. That my big problem in those My big problem was with this is because you're talking about point zero zero one percent of the population of students. Sure, okay, and the other point nine percent of the students listen, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know math. But here's the point. Here's the point.
Speaker 3: Here's the point.
Speaker 5: I'm at ninety nine you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: The majority of boys are going to play with those things. They're going to throw them at each other. It's gonna be a complete waste. They're gonna be like, oh, you in your period and then you throw stuff at each other like it's gonna be a bullying thing. It's gonna cause so many more problems for boys in class and in the bathroom than it is going to help the point zero zero one percent of boy who men.
Speaker 2: Straights because in the event that somebody goes in there and another kid sees that person take a tampon out of the.
Speaker 3: What is it a vending machine?
Speaker 1: Is it a free is it just a baskets?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is that it's gonna be used. They're gonna be used for evil. Can't you imagine doing that if you're a teenage boy, Well, you see a kid who's like, who sucks at gym? Basketball? And so you go into the bathroom and grab a tan upon them and just throw it at him.
Speaker 5: Funny, It's not funny because kids are awful, but happen they're awful?
Speaker 3: Does Does Donald Trump used that?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, you think so, Oh absolutely. And it's going to be a sticking point. I don't know if somebody's gotten to him yet to tell him the whole tampon tim thing.
Speaker 5: But he's going to run with it.
Speaker 1: He's going to take that ball and just ninety six yards down the football field.
Speaker 2: We are waiting World War three. We do expect to break in when that happens. Well, it turns out that several American service members were in fact injured yesterday and that suspected rocket attack at all Aside Air Base in Iraq.
Speaker 3: Not clear how many were hurt.
Speaker 2: I think the number is less than a half dozen, but a US official says that they're all in stable condition.
Speaker 3: No idea exactly.
Speaker 2: At least they're not telling us where the rockets came from. Also, to kind of go back a few months, the UN's the City and Refugee Agency said forever that there were never any UN workers alongside Hamas in the October seventh attacks from last year yesterday nine months later, yesterday, the UN fired nine UN staffers for participating in the October seventh terroristpary, despite saying for nine months that that never happened or that those people.
Speaker 3: Never took never took part in it.
Speaker 2: Federal criminal charges for allegedly embezzling millions of dollars in settlement funds from his clients about fifteen million dollars while he was the owner of the law firm Girardi Keys.
Speaker 1: An update on the dead bear in Central Park. Officials say that he will not face charges for leaving that dead bear in the park a decade ago. That the statute of limitations has expired. Yet it's another day where I get to bring up that Kennedy saw a young bear get hit by a car, so he took it with the intention of skinning it and eating it. However, he didn't get the chance because he was on a falcony, a falconry trip, and it ran late, and he got wasted at dinner, and he and his friends all decided to go back to Central Park, ditch the bear, leave a bicycle he had in his van, and make it appear that the bear was hit by the bicycle.
Speaker 2: And still doesn't crack the top ten craziest stories of this presidential camp.
Speaker 5: But why would you even leave the bicycle?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: The bear's obviously been hit by a car. The injuries will prove that. Why not just leave the bear where you found it or around where in the vicinity?
Speaker 5: Why the bicycle? Is that just a drunken exclamation point on the on.
Speaker 3: The uh well, and he said he wasn't drinking at the time.
Speaker 1: That's a lie. That's a lie because he's been sober. I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: But that anybody else that even if the sober guy was listening to the drunk guy, actually it's worse that he was sober, right, yeah, yes, that you would be influenced by a team of drunk people, right, I don't. It's like if you came over to my house and started getting into my spice drawer and taking out the poultry seasoning and dancing with it. If you were sober in that moment, I'd have severe questions about the survival of this show. But because you were over served, it made sense.
Speaker 3: All right, Wait, don't go Google boy, just a quick this Google story.
Speaker 2: I will talk a lot more about it when we get to a Thursday and Tech talk with Mark Saltzman. Because it is a significant ruling that Google acted illegally to maintain a monopoly in online search. A federal judge came down with this absolutely massive decision, and their questions really are, what's going to happen now? They talk about Apple, Amazon, Meta. Of course, Facebook and Instagram's parent company violated antitrust law by advantaging their own products on those platforms they run and acquiring smaller arrivals. So this may set that this Google ruling may set the tone for the government to go in and at least I wouldn't say break up, but maybe cause portions of those other big tech companies to break off.
Speaker 1: The National Hurricane Center says Debbie is moving across southeastern Georgia at just six miles per hour. What does that mean, Well, that means major, possibly historic flooding. Because she is moving so slowly, this could happen over the next several days. There have been at least five deaths attributed to her, four in Florida, another in Georgia. Storm projected to move offshore of Georgia's coast later today and then eventually move inland again over South Carolina on Thursday. The storm did also wash ashore a million dollars worth of cocaine twenty five packages of blow seventy pounds onto a beach in the Florida Keys.
Speaker 2: What a fine beach goer found these packages there in the archipelago and contacted authorities seventy pounds of cocaine, a value more than a million bucks.
Speaker 1: That would be tempting if you saw a bunch of blow on a beach not to turn around and sell it make some cash.
Speaker 2: Really, I mean, I know you've made some funny decisions in your life.
Speaker 1: But it would be something that you would cross your mind, like, I bet I could make a bunch of money off this. I wouldn't know where to sell it.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say.
Speaker 2: You'd walk around here, you'd be like, hey, anybody want I mean, hey.
Speaker 5: Listen, I go to other places aside from work.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you're at the Vaughan's You're like, if anybody want some.
Speaker 1: Cocaine, I prefer the Ralphs because that's just how wild I am.
Speaker 3: It's more of a cocaine vibe for you.
Speaker 1: Maybe you do it online now, you know, maybe I get a snapchat, but then you get out.
Speaker 5: But then you get.
Speaker 1: Into trouble now because they put fentanyl in it, and then I'm going to get murder charges and then my life is over.
Speaker 3: Oh your life is over.
Speaker 2: Not the people who died from their fentanyl overdose.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll be in prison for the rest of my.
Speaker 3: Life thinking about this very day. When you said.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad idea, I could probably move seventy pounds a blow.
Speaker 3: I don't know before anybody fights out.
Speaker 1: I mean, get a bunch of little baggies and hire a bunch of teenagers.
Speaker 2: And again you're making these awful decisions, and I feel like, as a friend, I need to step in before it gets any further.
Speaker 5: I'm kidding, it's just jokes, jokes.
Speaker 2: People are gonna leave us talk back, and they're like, I'm good for a pound.
Speaker 3: I'll take one of them pounds off you right away.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I can't wait for those.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 2: You did mention the problems with Hurricane Debbie slowing down. Their Debbie's leaving behind. These rain totals sixteen and a half inches over two days in Manatee County, Florida. Several reports of more than ten inches of rain across the county, about a foot of rain at the Sarasota Bradenton Airport. The Weather Service in Jacksonville issued flash flood warnings for parts of four counties in North Florida. Between seven and fourteen inches of rain have fallen. They're expecting as much as another six inches.
Speaker 3: Of rain before this whole thing goes through.
Speaker 1: We've got the Olympics still going on, We've got a Serena Williams scandal, shall we say, and we finally know how much Snoop Dogg is being paid every day at the Olympics and it's staggering.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap