Speaker 1: Four Finger Discount.
Speaker 2: Ude, Welcome to a very special episode of four Finger Discount, where this week we'll be running through our top ten, my five and my guest top five sporting episodes of The Simpsons. I'm Dan, I joined right now. Bye Goxy, Hey sir.
Speaker 1: Hey mate. Thanks for having me on again. I say again because I've been on before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mister Plower, we talked about, didn't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I must have done an all right job to be asked back.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, well you were just in town. I thought, Hey, I didn't realize you'll come back to Geelong. I was like, well, you're in Geelong, why not stop by?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love it here. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: You're one of the only guests that's actually stopped by the studio. It's just so easy to do podcasts via we call we use riversides like zoom basically now. Yeah, but I'm beginning in the studio. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the technology of these days is great, but you can't be in person.
Speaker 2: No, I love I just sort of realized this chart. Yes it it's the episode you're doing sporting episodes.
Speaker 1: I'm very lucky in that I get a lot of things given to me, and you know.
Speaker 2: It's better than getting chicked like tea shirts given to you though money.
Speaker 1: Yes, well I haven't reached that. I'm still in the just receiving merchant beer and stuff. But I shouldn't complain. But no, no, I got a lot of stuff. The beauty of it is it forces you to have that thing, whereas you know if you had to go and get it or buy you.
Speaker 2: What you try and do is you try and talk about things that you enjoy and that you want to buy and go, Hey, I mentioned you on my show or on my set, give me a free jumper.
Speaker 1: I'm doing that with Red Rooster all the time. All that I think they're.
Speaker 2: You've got to many series. You've got the stands at the footy fields or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: Currently you're eating foods from different countries.
Speaker 1: Is a little bit of the joke is that they're to have them all concurrently running. But the funny thing about the grands same one. I never planned for it. I was just generally just driving by and it caught my attention, this tiny little grandstand. But as as we know, on the internet, there is a bit of you know, there's always people trolling, trying to bring you down a bit, and I received a few people claimed it was like an athletics where the starting gun person is Yeah, well I don't think it was. But also I'm like, let me have this.
Speaker 2: How do you handle trolls. I've learned to just ignore the comments.
Speaker 1: I have gotten better. It did used to hit me pretty hard back in the day because because they put you to realize they just loser. Yeah, any trolls listening, but yeah, that's because some of them too are quite like thought out have they want to hit you hard because like there's you know, they could just be oh, you're ship that sucks, but they actually go kind of like I'd get ones that like try to tell you I liked you previously, but I don't like it. You know, oh you used to the direction And then that makes you think, oh shit, I've lost a fan. But you realize they were never going to be on board, you know, or if they don't like you having a slightly different opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you feel like you have to evolve in your comedian though, or is it best to sort of find your niche and then to sort of stick out.
Speaker 1: Well, that's something I get given a lot of grief about when people are like, oh, the same old joke, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: That's my thing.
Speaker 1: Well, some of the most successful queens in history are.
Speaker 2: Like Seinfeld, mister Bean.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, mister Bean's just like yeah, yeah, so I love how my reference. I need update my reference. I'm still like mister Bean most successful.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny how old we feel now? Because I'm thirty seven, held are you forty one? Forty one? It's pretty similar in age, but we say things like mister Bean. Anyone under the age of like twenty five is like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, Well I remember, like because you had the original just as it was, and then they were like animated ones and they tried to really keep it going.
Speaker 2: They hit the movie as well. Yeah yeah, Mike, iup put Like my kids are seven and nearly six, so nearly eight and nearly six, but they love this to be Yes. Yeah, sometimes it's important to put the old classic. I'll put the Simpsons on. I just started letting them watch the Simpsons because I was gonna let them watch the Simpsons a couple of years ago. I put it on and it was itching scratched, cartoon came on and I was like, this is pretty violent. Maybe I should not have my five year old watching it, But now I'm letting them watch it, and they love the old school Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it is funny because because we know it as how we know it, like all the things that came with a channel ten six pm. You have to watch the Simpsons, like going the phases, like radical bar and that. But it is interesting to see how the younger gen look at it because they're looking at it now knowing that everything that came afterwards as well, the south Park Family going.
Speaker 2: Well, there is no south Park Family go without the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, but they don't know it as that we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just see, the Simpsons was new when we were growing up. It's just always been around for my kids. But the thing is I put the new Simpsons on and they enjoy the new Simpsons, and that was how I really that new Simpsons isn't necessarily bad. It's just different, and Simpsons is made for a younger viewer essentially, and my kids enjoy the news. I think it's looks crisper. I think it looks better. But when I put the old ones, and they still like the old ones. But then I realized me putting an old school Simpsons episode on is the equivalent of my mum putting on like an old Flintstones episode. Yeah, thirty five years old.
Speaker 1: Mate, And you know what's the beauty of our age is we consumed We can always consume it twice the original where we're just like this, this show is great, and then a bit older when you as you dissect it as we do, you know, like knowing what makes good comedy writing and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's three ways, actually Simpsons, because he watches the kid, you enjoy it, and then you get older and you start understanding more of the jokes. For me, particularly since I've been a parent, all the parenting gags and the married gags that have been married and becoming a parent, I've watched the show through a hony lens as well, Like that's when things like they do it for her moment that just kills me. Now, it's like it's one of the sweetest moments in history of television. And when you're a kid, you go, oh, this is nice, But when you're apparently you're like, oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 1: Pick picking up on the smaller soleties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, when you're a kid, you're just like it's almost like like your palette for your eating. When you're a kid, you want like chips and pizza. And then you're like mature and you realize there's more sources than just tomato and barbecue. You know, you're a kid, you're like, get out of the way, Lisa home, a home, a barber. And then you go a bit older like yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Margal just you love margin the older you get r Yeah. Now we're here to talk about sporting episodes of The Simpsons. Before we do that, though, a sporting moment I want to discuss with you, which you've albaby probably discussed a million times Steve Smith.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, between when I was here last, wasn't.
Speaker 2: It And I remember seeing it was like Lena and Acaprio pointing at the team like it's doxy.
Speaker 1: Because some people ask, you know, some people sort of summarize what I've done and say, oh, You've got all the like viral moments, and because I'm living it, there is like big gaps in between. There's four or five years. But to some people it's like seems.
Speaker 2: Like they're catching up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which for anyone, I guess you know, if you're looking at a band or actor or like, oh, you're just pumping out of it. But when you're living it doesn't feel like that. But I do get asked a lot about that. The major the majority of questions is sort of like was it planned? Stage that was honestly, say, yeah, there.
Speaker 2: Was, you look at you had no idea what was going on?
Speaker 1: Is there is no way you call it as well like well maybe if you had a mate at the channel, because it was for you, I don't know mate's there, And even then, what would you say, mate? Can you put me on?
Speaker 2: Like and we're going to we're going to interrupt the actions for GOOXI? Yeah, what was it? He just work around.
Speaker 1: There's this thing I do because I love going to sports. I got a lot of different sports, and majority of them aren't like super popular events.
Speaker 2: Like low key.
Speaker 1: I'll go to like whatever, so you could often just what I'll do is move around the stadium. I'll probably get in trouble for it's not it's very funny. It's funny your your card fore fingers talking about our low level crimes. But it's a very low level crime. But you know, sometimes you get what do they call the people who check tickets, I guess ticket ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so every.
Speaker 1: Now and then, like if someone's they're doing their job to the letter of the law or whatever, they'll be like, oh where do you sit? Check and tell you? But but I just I like to get different views of the stadium, you know whatever, So I'll do that often. But obviously ashes was very popular.
Speaker 2: Is that what happened? You've changed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was. I was moving around and the gabble was almost full, like but always always these things when they say sell out, there's always like a few people don't cars. So there was a few empty. But I was going to different spots around the stadium, and you know, it goes all day, eight hours. I was getting different views, so I literally had just gotten there, right. And the other thing is to like, I know, it's that classic thing where people are like drinking all day the quick and like I'm actually not, despite what I look like or whatever, I'm not a huge drinker. I like a beer here in but someone had just so I just arrived that era area and someone had just said to me, like, can I buy your beer? Which I get a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm humble bray, Like I said, I get given shirts, beer, everything except money.
Speaker 2: We can get.
Speaker 1: So someone had just said to me, can I get your beer? And I was like, yeah, yeah, you know that's lovely, thank you. So yeah, I just arrived that spot, just get given a beer because people were kind of like, oh, I bet this guy has been on it all day. So that's the two things I can reveal. I was not sitting there and I was not drinking all day. But you know there is an element of and the other thing to it as well, because Steve Smith got distracted. But I was coppying a bit of grief because people were like, why are you moving around? But the truth is that it's like one hundred and aged he's straight in front. You can't actually sit there. They have the seats taken out on the side screen. So I wasn't Actually I shouldn't have been. In his view, he has like the average person has, like what do you call that?
Speaker 2: Like television?
Speaker 1: Yes, peripheral vision is very like his is, like yeah, and he's been known to be distracted by like a spider or an ant or something.
Speaker 2: So you have you spoken to it at all. No, No, he'd be on like the Cricket Australia some of the cricket hats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very private. I've been asked that a bit. They're like, oh, have you caught up with him? And like, nah, but I don't know how i'd go about it because like it's like, at least nothing bad came of it, you know, it's not like he got out or anything.
Speaker 2: And the other thing was there was imagine.
Speaker 1: But everyone just took it because the channel and the commentator said that's the guy. Like me, I'm the guy that distracted him, which like I was like ninety percent short. But I've had people with theories are like, oh it was one of the English players Josh for Archer was No, no one really knows.
Speaker 2: So you can get told at the time to move or no know.
Speaker 1: So because like I said, it wasn't actually directly in front, Okay, So I was getting grief from people saying like etiquette, I shouldn't have been moving around, but everyone does.
Speaker 2: Like maybe you're just you stood out the most of it. Let's just pick this.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well that's the thing. After it. I was getting like from trolls Pip making fun of my shirt being too tight. Yeah. Well it was actually again in this hole getting given things. But the cricket player Matt Short, he played for Australia, he gave me a jersey.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was like a little bit of like beggars can't be too not that I was begging, but I didn't want to be get given it. And hey, yeah you got a triplex, So that was an element to that. And then in terms of the dirtiness, so that's because I do laboring work, so yeah, yeah, yeah, and then there's I mean I blame the dirt probably a bit of gravy some people, Yeah, exactly, there's a little bit mixed in there.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was a very interesting experience and I got the full sort of people talk about fifteen minutes of.
Speaker 2: The social media boom. Yeah, follows the.
Speaker 1: Next day I was doing like breakfast TV. Yeah, like Today's Sunrise and all that, but very fleeting. It was like yeah, because I'm like, how long is this going to keep going? I found out it's it's literally fifteen minutes. Yeah, I think on the Monday, I had like Geelong Radio and that's that's pretty high yeah, I used to be on Yeah yeah, yeah, no, well no, it sounds like I'm being psarcastic, but you know I love all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's awesome. Yeah, yeah, I had this theory right with talking about cricket, you reckon, there's time the Simpsons do a cricket episode. They've never done one. Yeah. I think they're going to come back to Australia, yeah during something, or do an episode in India, Like India is the big cricket nation. You can get all the Indian cricketers on. But I feel like, you know, getting Steve Smith, Pat Comings all these guys on the episode would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like apparently there's it's one of those things that's it's a fact that it's hard to believe, but apparently there was a really early game in America' cricket but then baseball took off. So yeah, really it's like America's very has a very unique like sports culture and that yeah.
Speaker 2: Are going to be a good chance to bring it pooh back there we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but let's do our top five Simpson's sporting It doesn't have to be the whole episode. It's just a Simpsons story of some kind sporting story.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A couple of mine that I've picked are like not the main story, but they are with it.
Speaker 1: That's right. I was thinking about that because there's the ones that stick out very clearly, and then that there is as they do.
Speaker 2: They say, like the plot b plots a bigger than the apes. Yeah, yeah, I'll give you one number five. So one number five is the Homer they four, which is the boxing episode I'm wearing right now.
Speaker 1: Could I just I should have asked you this before, but so we can't double up, or if we double up, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ye, but if you try to do all ye yea yeah, but if you've got that, just say I've got that at my.
Speaker 1: After that's an awesome So yeah, stupidly forgot about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good Homer Remo story. We had a side of Mo we've seen usual Mo where he's going to sell out Homer for money, but at the end he obviously turns a corner and shows some compassion, becomes the fly man, the fan man.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a great parody of Mike Tyson and Don King as well. Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't get Mike Tyson to do it. But I don't think Mike Tyson's that a point in his life where he's willing to take this out of himself. Yeah, he's become like comedy Mike Tyson.
Speaker 1: Well, Drederick Tradum is meant to be.
Speaker 2: The great parody of Mike Tyson, did it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, and you get certain topics. I know they used to talk about this in the commentaries on the DVD, where it's just a mind field for them. You know. I remember some of the writers talking about whenever they have mister Burns old timey.
Speaker 2: Yeah words, they just go to Bill and Josh Love Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I'm thinking Boxing had all this, like, you know, they could have junk Yard, the yard guy who I love that, like, oh he's a hungry fighter.
Speaker 2: He's actually fighting for his hobos and stuff. Yeah, there's then fell in the corner before he keeps fighting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they played off of the whole John King stuff, the dodginess of boxing. I love the like I was like, yeah, you can't use that anymore, like, yeah, that was so good. And so it was just a minefield of jokes and getting stuff and then obviously, you know we talk about there's nothing wrong with comedy having a staple to make fun of, and then like Homer's like lack of fitness and overweight and stupidity all rolled in there.
Speaker 2: But he can take a punch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And you know there's like sometimes you talk about with the stupid like how far is too far? The same thing with the athletic and nepness, like you know, punching and it didn't kill a fly. You know, it's like how fun can you go? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I just think I love. One of my favorite moments ever is him coming out to wipe out We be Friends.
Speaker 1: Actually did a boxing five myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's actually a bit of a spot on parody now. I don't know if it was meant to be at the time, but celebrity boxing it's become a thing now, Yeah, we're boxing as a sport has almost became a parody of itself, where that's what this was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, so I had people asking me. I think I put it out and said what song show is and a lot of people did suggest to why I can't be friends, which is a very funny thing. But I was trying not to like comedy on comedy comedy like you know yeah yeah, which, what did you come out to smash mouth walking on the sun? I was I was like, do something like like thought out funny Now I'll just go like nineties reference like most of the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what so that was a legit fight? How does that work.
Speaker 1: In terms of we were trying to beat each other up?
Speaker 2: Yes, so do you go in beforehand? They do you sort of say let's not knock each other out?
Speaker 1: Or no? No, there was no There was actually no contact. It's funny because I've spoken to the guy in the afterwards, but there was no but leading in, so there was no discussion. I think why. I think we had one message, like text message, but there was no talking around but leading into it, talking about trolls and stuff online when I was posting things in the months leading in, and his fans are coming on in the comics section They're going to die, and like, yeah, I know it's part of boxing smack talk, but I didn't know how serious to take it. I'm like, is this guy really good?
Speaker 2: Is he going to for me? It's going to make offens my that's right.
Speaker 1: And then after because I actually like one quite comfortably. I was like in hindsight going back and like, oh that was either they legitimately believed it and they're just like in denial or it was like a like insecurity like yeah enough, but you.
Speaker 2: Know sorry at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was yeah, yeah, I'm not no sorry, not like yeah yeah, not a complete can cast. I would have felt too bad, but it was it was very like I'm trying to think of the word like yeah, but also the like people there, there's a lot of anger and like not nothing too bad, but someone was giving me grief for wearing the head gear, and I'm thinking it's twenty twenty five. You don't want to be that stuff's in the pain in the past, right, Like we know enough, you know, like ten twenty years ago. Yeah, we used to be like being man, yeah that's all. It's like, oh man, we know enough about this now. Anyway, it was I haven't I'm not holding a grudge. Yeah, I still remembering the comment, but it was very fine. It was it was Gold Coast Conventions. There's like five thousand people. It was a big event because it's it's all podcasters, Like yeah, I mean, little do they know I stopped doing my podcast ages ago, but I was still like, yeah, it was meant to be pod. So maybe you can go out, you know, but can you like fight a family guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's your what's your Arrival cartoon? Yeah? Good, what's your what's your Simces? Episode number five?
Speaker 1: So talking about how like the b plot thing, I do have a few where it's clear that it's a sports episode. I won't I won't give them away, but yeah I did have somewhere it was a little less. So are we doing is there in order.
Speaker 2: To like I've done five through one, but you but it's not like best to worse. I've done. This is my top five, but you do it an order you want.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll start off with Lisa on ice that's my number one. Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe we should have met up in discussion, you know, talking before about the emotion. There's a lot of emotion, and at the.
Speaker 2: End of the episode is one of my favorite moments. Yeah, I think it's impossible not to cry or at least tear up when they have that flashback of him sharing the ice green. Yeah, because of someone who I've got a younger sister. You watch it and you're just like, oh, you fight a lot, but you know in the day, you're still your little sister, you know.
Speaker 1: And I feel like, oh, man, like I don't want to go to into like the new ones, don't get what the characters about. But it was just a perfect and Homer's nastiness was at a perfect.
Speaker 2: Level, like competitiveness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, like the fight fight for the lights on and eye and that like such good animation to you know, directing that.
Speaker 2: Comes just afterwards, just before that, I'm going to do this and if you get my way, it's your Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's so good. Lisa is awesome in this right, and I think it's a really good exploration of like she's getting into it because she's trying to be perfect with her grades. Yeah, and then that it's it's really good because it's like it shows whatever she puts her mind to. Yeah, it's just that she didn't happen to have got into sports before that.
Speaker 2: It's also something she's getting better than Bart that's not just academics.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And you know I was talking about some situations allow for particular characters to shine. I Reckon Wigham is so good.
Speaker 2: As the.
Speaker 1: And and the opposition codes, I bet on the other guys. It's just such a good look into just that whole amateur kids, sports and.
Speaker 2: Parents taken too seriously. Yeah, because I've got my son's just started playing football. Yeah, and you see some parents he's like, don't take it this seriously. Yes, why did you kick it there for? Because he's seven?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, And you know in the back of the head like if this guy gets good, we can like.
Speaker 2: Ride him success.
Speaker 1: And it's like, but also all those ones who started twelve are gonna be like burns out and ninty oh man. But oh, there's so many great guys. You know. What's funny too, is like there's kind of you know, I don't know what to call them, but in sports, I'm sure most of us have this. But it's like that thing where you're like, what if someone was to kick a goal off of the kickoff in rugby or soccer, and and the perfect one of that is the like Millhouse strugging up the whole goals. You call that blowing, But I've always thought, not not exactly that, but like imagine if ice hockey or soccer or whatever just got like a huge fat guy to just fill up the goals. He's not a fat guy, but it's a version of that, right, like just literally fill up the oh so good and yeah I think too hockey, you know, like obviously like Marty Ducks, but there isn't a lot of hockey.
Speaker 2: It's never really taken off here. But the Mighty Ducks films were some of my favorites. Yeah, I just love but Mike kids watched My Ducks free last night. They loved them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's got that element of it I think, like lovely emotional with Lisa, but awesome jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other one I just about home as nasness is the the front who rides in the front seat whole Yes, yeah, and that was a funny like talking about Lisa.
Speaker 2: If you lose, I'll kill you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh that was such a good like that look of home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we also get here Utah that kids, that kid's got bosoms of chocolate. Yeah, who's got a wet owt?
Speaker 1: I hate to I'm not really like complain about you can't do anything anymore, but I reckon I couldn't.
Speaker 2: You can't do that is not in TV.
Speaker 1: Upset overweight, the Germans kids, Body, what is it?
Speaker 2: Body?
Speaker 1: Yeah, body shame.
Speaker 2: I thought another one out to you one number four. This isn't really you don't really see much of the sport, but there's a sport based episode. It's Lisa the Greek, which is where Lisa helps him to gamble. Yeah. Yeah, now I'm someone who called me a spoil sport, but I think gambling has become too normalized and supporting a show to the pointere like my son will get the footing, you'll go what sports bet? My kids shouldn't be asking what's what's his gambling company? I keep seeing all about it.
Speaker 1: Well, that that is the hugest is the age thing because a lot of people are like, you know, adults should be able to like I don't want to get too far, but yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Just everywhere you can't can't get away from it.
Speaker 1: And one of the things with Australia and America, like we do have our differences, and I know over there it's like, especially back then, they do the whole like it's very sneaky. Yeah, isn't it like he's not meant to be doing it with mo And yeah it's not like here where you see the tab shops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well every single segment on a sports show now is sponsored by a sporting by gambling company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess because like I sort of I like the NFL, American football and that, and it's funny to see the the guys given the tips and it's like Cincinnati and stuff was really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this one here. So Homer and Lisa aren't bonding very well. He finally finds something can bond over, which is watching football. But it's not just watching football. It's the fact that she is really good at working out using shot moneyballs, like using mathematics to work out who's gonna win. Helps home a gamble and he starts making lots of money. Then he calls Sunday's Daddy Daughter to Day and then she says, let's go do hiking next week. He's like, no, the Super bowls this week and footballs finished now, Daddy door to Day doesn't start till next year. She realizes he only want to spend time with me because of the football, and we get the whole If Washington win, I love you, If Balo. It reminds me at Mo's they're watching one guy's like Homer's watching it sad and he goes to Homer, what you got writing on this game? My daughter? What a gambler? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I love how like because you know how an actual sports fan and guys can just be they're gonna win, they got the best player, and it is very simple like that. Belisa is very like I can see fear in.
Speaker 2: His breaks it down.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And and it does ask that question, doesn't it It doesn't kind of And and the thing about classic Simpsons the best when it was best, it did well. Sometimes I was gonna say, it didn't always hit you over the head with like it's sometimes like you know the what's the John Waters you know that's hemosphobia. Yeah, that's very like that. Yeah, that's that's hit you over there because it's like, look, it's the way Homer is acting is stupid. Yeah, and even like the immigration, but I like the way they.
Speaker 2: Don't immigrants the immigrants.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's that's like there's so much I know it's cheesy to be like, oh Simpson predicted or still relevant to these this day, but that's one that's very but yes, but that does it. I like it kind of puts it out there. It doesn't is it like is this wrong? What home is doing, I think, or the gambling that he's only spending time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wants to be with Lisa, but he just doesn't realize that the only reason he's doing is because he's benefited financially.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying that puts that out there is like, if if you are doing something wanting to be with someone, you probably shouldn't be just trying to get something again out Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then by the end of it, he does cancel his bowling plans with Barney. He takes a hiking up the hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's a sporting episode, which isn't really don't really watch him playing sport, but I thought gambling on the sport.
Speaker 1: No, that is That's a really good one.
Speaker 2: Do you have any other form?
Speaker 1: So this is another. Like I said, I'm an American football fan. I do like it, and I do think the show. I love anytime the show deals with us. I was going to go bart starts.
Speaker 2: That's one of my notable mentions. I like that one. Yeah, and again becomes the coach of basketball.
Speaker 1: Yes, And some of the funniest bits are Homer's coaching you know cutting, Yeah, Okay, the rock and soccam thing.
Speaker 2: You know, everyone give the ball to Bart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're just like Nelson being so much better and I'll have to do it myself. And and it also you raised before the thing about like annoying parents, so ray like Homers there giving ned grief Flanders. One of the great crossovers, is it of the Hill? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so many thousand miles for this. Yeah, my son's coach at the moment, his son plays an aliences team and it's almost like the on the opposite now where he almost like goes as far away from spoiling him as possible. So the point where it's like every kid gets to be the captain each week, right, they pick a new captain.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, well he hasn't been captain yet, like to me so and he's like he could be last I'm like, it's okay to give you a year something.
Speaker 1: Over conversation, it's like I don't want to show any neffotism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nothing at all. It's the other way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, to the point where it's like you're you're going to play, you don't get to play in boots or like whatever.
Speaker 2: But also Bart, he is able to have realized that, you know, I am getting like preferential treatment and it's not the benefit benefit for the team. So he takes one for the team and they end up winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's he gets arrested something you can't remember talking.
Speaker 1: Before about the like little differences with America and strides. So they've got the like chopping for like the cup they call it, like I guess the equivalent we have cricket. Where's the box, you know, but we don't have anything in that any of our football. Yeah, so about that, I was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: I like the moment too. At least it is like, that's right. A girl wants to play football, and it's like, that's great, We've already got three on the team. She's like, oh yeah, And all of a sudden, I don't care now.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. It was very funny, like Homer's coaching giving grief ned Yeah.
Speaker 2: The cutting, yeah he does over the credits as well. Your cut. Yeah yeah, I'll throw another one out. I have got here dead putting society. Oh yes, that's so. I love golf, you know, it just it's one of those sports. It's just so my wife can see, it's so boring. But I like watching golf, and I think just growing up things like Tiger was ninety nine on the PlayStation. Loved that game, right, and Tiger Woods was just like such a cool start at the time, and then you had films like Happy Gilmore, You're on your Chubs Jumper. Yeah, it just made me love golf even more. But this one here they take it to the next level and have it it's minigolf, yes, and shows even minigolf can be competitive, right. But it's the first episode where we saw a crack in Flanders where Homer made him break and had a big argument. Then he writes had apologies letter and he says I'm feeling this pain or in my bosom. They laugh about it, he mocks him, and they make the deal about if my son wins, whoever losers has to wear his wife's Sunday dress mowing the lawn. It's that one. So it's really competitive in that way. But I just like that Bart and Todd learn good sportsmanship and they're like, you know what, who cares about this, It's just kids minigolf. Let's just take a draw. And then both the parents like what do you mean? And Homer's cracking and then they have to wear the dress at the end. But making mini golf interesting, they did a great job in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. Do you know what season is that?
Speaker 2: The free season two?
Speaker 1: Two? Yeah, because I did feel like that just before when I thought the show started, I hit it straps. Yeah, but it was pretty good earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably one of the more memorable ones for the earlier seasons for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like you know, I love the show and can watch one and two. I just don't think it was.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. Yeah, what's the next one for you?
Speaker 1: This one? Well, I was just gonna say, on with the golf thing, that's that's great. That is a really good app And then you've also got wanting to join the country club.
Speaker 2: I've no, no, no, no, I've got no more mentions that home playing golf because the but it's so memorable, isn't it. Yeah, mister Burns cheating and not knowing that he's cheating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we often, you know, we're on the internet, we often think about memes. So the classic leak of ours putting challenge. Of course, that wasn't even Yeah, I was just me thinking about not as but references.
Speaker 2: Well, the The thing is, was mister Burns really cheating because he didn't know Spinners was doing all this. He thought he was winning this. Yeah, and then when he realizes like, oh ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the next one I wanted to go for, which I'm again I'm not. I don't think it's a whole episode of football. I forgot the title at home and being friends with Ned, you know, I thought about it, Yeah, because because they've got the it's the Dan Taylor he's friends with him. Yeah, and that's where that's where we have like Nacho man yeah, and a lot of those things. Like I said, being Australian where there's something like that seemed just so out like we do not have things like well, you know, be in Australia. I grew up in Brisbane, so a little different. But I'm sure Victoria's are same. It's you know, hot chips, very basic.
Speaker 2: It, hot pies, yeah, cold drinks, chocolate bus Yeah, it's very.
Speaker 1: No, I love it, but it's very like that just seems so raised, like the dip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's of course the football you're referencing. As they go to watch the game, yeh, tickets for he takes him and then he gets the ball and he calls a stitch face.
Speaker 1: Yes that's is that the app where the guy goes on thirty thousand tickets things and they're like, yeah, don't have it on me, and then yes, outrageous.
Speaker 2: Be in lineing up all this time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love those little just they're like, you know, Pete, there's a real life thing of people having frustration trying to get tickets. It's just amped up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember that when you have to line up. Yeah, it's getting to an online que and computer crashes like three times.
Speaker 1: Being a nice kid, I do. And I love my rock music and that too. I remember being a kid on the news and seeing the like the campouts for like Pearl Jam Metallica and me being just like ten and I'm not old enough to go to that. Plus I'm a little bit before I started getting into harder music. But I just thought that's so cool. You know see the metal head.
Speaker 2: We did it for finals footy Oh yeah finals coming up. We need to get line up for get tickets. Yeah, I slept on the street, but now what is Its just like yeah, and it's like do not refresh and then it just crashes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, modern technology or it takes your money out, but you didn't get the tech. I was like, people took whatever? Did I give my yes home home?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got Team Homer, which is the bowling one.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes that's another double because there's like nothing against tenth and bowling. But my query was like is this a sport that I.
Speaker 2: Was like, yeah, I love watching sports, but because the people who play professionally take associous, yes.
Speaker 1: A class. One of the best ever memes is like do you know who you are?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so good.
Speaker 2: Where do you think you are? That is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of favorite ever jokes, probably like because it's a great show, there's a lot of joke. I don't know if you know this. There's a lot of jokes covered, but one of my favorite ever jokes. And I don't go out of my way to have like different ones to other people, but I like to think. I like to think my my favorites are different.
Speaker 2: Just a lot of you know, you know, I'm a kind of I listen to.
Speaker 1: Bands no one's even that I haven't even been created.
Speaker 2: Or you see someonere in a bandst what's your favorite song?
Speaker 1: I don't go out of my way to be weird. But anyway, I find.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big fan of everything's coming up Millhouse. I'm not that is it really even funny?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I do find a lot of my favorite jokes. I don't I haven't seen much love for it elsewhere. But one of my jokes, and this is I guess some people never change, or they quickly change and quickly change. That's like right in my wheelhouse, right because I love that, like like plays on saying change the heart. Yeah. And it was like, oh, but there's so many good bits so like and and again we talked about this before. When does a joke become so silly or outrageous like mister Burns is we you know we've seen him like trying to hit people. Yeah, yeah, I think they take it to the extremes, you know, when he's.
Speaker 2: Like basically passes out on the ball.
Speaker 1: And I love that thing where it's like like ten games have been playing ten strikeouts and the time the ball.
Speaker 2: Got the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And again that's just the beauty of animation. You couldn't even do that probably try and do that in real life, like.
Speaker 2: Because we we had the guy that wrote that episode on the show to review it and we're touching on it with him, It's like, what's mister Burns didn't entire time was he doing? Did he plan this? Did he go I'm actually gonna screw these guys over at the end, or did he actually change and actually shows the compassion and actually, you know what's better having the trophy to myself, I'm gonna get back to my old ways. Or was he actually just planning it the entire time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I love. Turn it puts that question out kind of out there too, of like just because someone can fund the thing, like is it better than your your pop mates because it does kind of compited against and because again that's another like I love when you see a product you're like it, can he get this? Or you know, I've often I know online a lot of things get repeated off and see like what's I see this come up saying like like what's the food item on the Simpsons you'd have and a lot of people like skin all brown natural, morning bird and but those kind of things like that. I was like, I always want the lobster harmon.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised they never made them.
Speaker 1: I never play those games. I always thought it.
Speaker 2: Was I've always liked them. But now I'm older and my kids want me to spend my money on I'm like, you know, scam right, I can go to the Supermarke and by twenty of these a dollar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But like I always think, but is there anything more thrilling than winning something on the corn machine? You know?
Speaker 1: But it's like, I know people will say it's skill base, but it's.
Speaker 2: Like it's luck. Yeah, but it is like the skill base, but when it picks up, it goes.
Speaker 1: Not like totally against games you know, Whack an Alligator or like the bar even the ones a pretty well. I do not want to play where it's just like oh, there goes your money.
Speaker 2: Because you can pick it up and then it gets the top and goes do do do?
Speaker 1: It's like it's it's almost like a poky. It just decides who's going to win.
Speaker 2: Speaking of boozer, my dad like two weeks ago, one fifteen grand on the Pokeys and I was like, oh, he's doom now he's gonna play forever.
Speaker 1: Look people win. It's just super rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right, My next one I'm going to put out there have actually I've covered all mine, but do you have you have any more to give me. I've got a couple of notable men.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, there's I think that's the one that like clear well clearly the about sports, but then it becomes a little bit of you know, it's funny. I was going for the sports trying to thing, and basketball is one that hasn't really been touched. You had the was it magic Johnson like pulling it very small references and the classic like he's spinning the ball. But yeah, those were like the three main I had of like the full eb but.
Speaker 2: Like the noble mentions that I had it. So I've got bart Star and the Home of Golf one. But I've mentioned dancing Homer when he was dancing for the for the Isotapes of Baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, speaking of base.
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't touched on Homer at the Bat, left off Home at the Bat, and I just I left it over there off because you know how you're talking before about what's the obvious one. Yeah, everyone's going to say Homor at the bat, and I love him at the bat. It's a great episode, but I just enjoyed the other ones more. Yeah, because the bats is just full of I think if you grew up in America and you knew all these players were, it would mean more to you. Yeah yeah, because I mean.
Speaker 1: There would be the equivalents of like the A Blood and Locker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they didn't aflpisode. People in are like.
Speaker 1: Who just continuing on with the bowling Like I didn't want to double up and bowling too much? But is it when Homer worked to the bowling hour? Would you count?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually because that's.
Speaker 1: Actually he's really they're retelling. Is it how Lisa was?
Speaker 2: That's that's that's the and maybe make sure that they do it for her moment because he has to give up his job at the ball. He loves the bowling alley, but then margin now so that she's pregnant with a third kid and he can't a forty, he has to go back to his other job again. That's where he says that's for employment for ten years, and it literally burns the bridge as he's going over it.
Speaker 1: And that has one of the most beautiful segments of not only animation but music, the how the how the pins are made. You know, Oh yeah, oh that was beautiful. Love that a little peak behind the scenes. It's like something that's clearly not real, like yes for fun. Yeah, and there's so many classic like moments of shining bowl have you been using.
Speaker 2: You've been showing your head in the reflection?
Speaker 1: Yeah, bowling, get your bowling. I think not in an overly nasty way, but I think they're poking fun at the whole world of bowling out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is not a glamorous place.
Speaker 2: It's not, but like, I mean, it's fun to go to be You wouldn't want to go there all the time. Yeah, it's going there as a novelty. Yeah. There's like one proper bowling alley left in Geelong and we go there occasionally. But I went there about I don't know two months ago. My son had a birthday party there and I was like, this place hasn't changed arcade machines from when I was fucking ten.
Speaker 1: It's really fine, that is it, Barney. We're like, can I have a job?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like so fain asking for a friend to have a job. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other bowling one that I've got mentioned here is Life in the fast Lane, which is from the first season where Marge gets taken away by her her bowling instructors, the French.
Speaker 1: And then he reapears with home Wreckers.
Speaker 2: Is that Yeah? So it's in the home wreckerds is Lerline, Lumpkin, Mindy, Jacques and Princess Cashmia.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And the reason she's the reason she's the homewreckers because remember the Homer's Night out where they take a photo of Homer and Princess Kshmia. Yeah, the earlier I think. I think that was first season as well, So that's why she was a homewrecord there. But I just love that the ending of the one where Homer he's taken, He's taken, March for granted, and then she gets swept away by this bowling instructor who's showing her and she's sort of thinking, and you think, as a viewer, is she going to go to home or she's going to go to Jacques and ruin the marriage? And she rocks up at Homer's work and she walks in and it's the same as a parody of the film An Officer and a Gentleman where she walks in and he picks up and says, he says, what do I tell the boss? Tell her. I'm going to the backs into my car with the woman I love and we'll be back for ten minutes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like again, in its best form, almost crue, but it's not. It's just yeah, it's pretty harmless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's taken a piece out of Homer as well. Yeah, so she an't get in a session.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But The Simpsons at its best too, was when it used to parody things, right, yeah, but didn't hit you on the head with it. But you knew it was something. So when you were a kid watching The Simpsons in the nineties, you're like, I know that this is too odd to not be a reference to something. And what it did was it made you go and research and find out, oh, it's that, and they introduced you to all these pop culture icons like the Godfather and all these things, because you watch it on the Simpson and you're like, what is that and then you're like, oh, it's the god for Oh it's Indiana Jones. Oh it's all these great classic films. All right, Well, we are done. That is our best sporting moments on The Simpsons. Thank you for joining me, sir, Yes, thank you. So you're going to do your show now in Geelong, ex. Do you plan a set or do you just yeah, not wing it, but do you Yeah.
Speaker 1: So generally, like when the comedy first surround, you could do like a theme show with a bit of a like the last one I did my own little like Cone O'Brien talk show. Yeah, yeah, because the first like you have longer, like Melbourne goes for about a Matt Melbourne comedy first. But when I'm just touring around going town to town, I'll just do the best jokes I've got.
Speaker 2: Feel like you could do a good show. Reading menus from the nineties restaurant means going fifty cents for a dimmy oh Man nineteen nineties.
Speaker 1: I love just like certain Yeah they're very basic, like I was talking about, like hot pies and chips. Yeah, just relatability you can't be you know what. I love like going to regional towns and seeing the like real old school like Chinese restaurant like oh, just before the ones that hit before people were like trying tie and.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, it's like I was Chinese, yeah, menu on the front window, yeah, and it was, and the.
Speaker 1: Doing this yeah, and the Western eyes meals like like prawn toasts, pron crackers pron crackers. So yeah, yeah, turing around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plug your shows and plug your spot.
Speaker 1: Got another boxing fight this year, you do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So are you're more confident this time?
Speaker 1: A little bit? Yeah, I need to start getting training, but that's going to start happening, saying you know, I was like when you put things off like like.
Speaker 2: Lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like I've really got to cram.
Speaker 2: In some That's how I did all my UNI, all my school work. It's like you don't do any work until the night before. Yeah, do your best work.
Speaker 1: And then you arrive at the exam with baggy eyes, and.
Speaker 2: But you do your best work. Yeah, I've got plagy your socials work.
Speaker 1: We find Instagram, I'm on a few of the others YouTube, TikTok.
Speaker 2: But Aaron Gox Yeah yeah, yeah, that's right. Yeah, it's a bit of a weird chuck the link in description of this podcast before we let you go, though, what's your favorite since the episode? Well, prop your head bangled? Is it?
Speaker 1: I liked because I did mister Plower last year. But I'm leaning more of these days towards Lemon Lemon de Troy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually gonna be reviewing that one. In a couple of weeks with the writer of the episode.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, that's got a couple of good football.
Speaker 2: References, does it.
Speaker 1: Which one? Maybe that's why we beat them at football?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, shall we feel?
Speaker 1: And half the time, yes, I love that's another lot of my para line and just walking past the baseball field like hey, that's gonna go win this year and they're real bad, Like that's such a good You're trying to be proud of your team, but the sports team you Geelong, you don't know what that's about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think great mate, Thanks
Speaker 1: So much having thanks Mane