Speaker 1: Corn remakeup cameos word up from a while back.
Speaker 2: Now la days around?
Speaker 3: Oh God?
Speaker 4: Oh where now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: O Dad, I'll by then, Girls tell your broda your dead and yours where I go?
Speaker 1: No, man, you no dot do where there is no?
Speaker 7: Okay bay, Hey God, don your gut, Dad, O your.
Speaker 1: Nuse do your nails, do your nails quick? Mom may tell me what?
Speaker 3: No? No?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 8: Ring?
Speaker 9: Where you man got your god? Dad?
Speaker 1: I'm not Yeah that guy fifty four today when January eighteenth, nineteen seventy one, in Bakersfield, California. I did not I know this. I'm not a huge Corn fan, but I did not know that Jonathan Davis. Outside of being the lead vocalist and frontman for the band, as a multi instrumentalist, he plays guitar, drums, piano, upright, bass, violin, clarinet, and yes, bagpipes. The boy can blow. Apparently, before we look at it, look back at significant significant events as people tied to this particular date in history, including but not limited to these. Seventeen seventy eight English navigator Captain James Cook reached the present day Hawaiian Islands. He called him the Sandwich Islands. The Sandwich sounds good. On this date, in nineteen eleven, the first landing when aircraft on a ship took place. Eugene Eli brought his Curtis biplane in for a safe landing on the deck of the Armored cruiser USS Pennsylvania and San Francisco Harbor on this date. In nineteen seventy three, and more on this a little bit later on, Pink Floyd began the nineteen seventy three recordings that resulted in Dark Side of the Moon. They've done some stuff in seventy two, but this was the day they got back in the studio present day Abbey Road Studios and put the finishing touches on one of the biggest albums ever, fourth highest selling album ever. On this date, in nineteen seventy seven, scientists identified the bacteria responsible for the deadly form of pneumonia known as Legionnaire's disease. It was on this day not a good day for crooked politicians. January eighteenth, nineteen ninety Washington, d C. Mayor Marion Barry arrested after FBI agents caught him smoking crack in a DC hotel room thirteen. On this state, Former Democrat New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagan, you know the guy who cost so many lives during Katrina and then afterwards was re elected as the mayor by facts indicted on charges he'd used his office for personal gain, accepting payoffs, free trips, and gratuities from contractors while the city was trying to recover from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. He did go to prison. The Martin Luther King Junior Holiday was observed in all fifty states for the first time. On January eighteenth, nineteen ninety three, Lisa Marie Presley filed for divorce from Michael Jackson after less than two years and they thought it would never end. The year was nineteen ninety six, and oh oh yeah, I forgot to mention this. Canadian Willie O. Reeve became the first black player in the NHL, making his debut for the Boston Bruins on January eighteenth, nineteen fifty eight. Famous folks, or some people think they're famous folks celebrating birthdays today. Besides Jonathan Davis of Korn, actor filmmaker Kevin Costner is seventy and a whole new level of respect for Costner after getting just addicted to Yellowstone. Actor Mark Rylance sixty five. Hockey Hall of famer Mark Messier has a birthday today sixty four. Dave Patista, the actor, the other actor Jesse L. Martin, both celebrating their fifty sixth birthday. Football Hall of Famer Julius Peppers is forty five today. Actor Jason Siegel also knocking in on the four to five party, and tennis player Angelie Kerber. One of the easier tennis players' names to say is thirty seven. If it's your birthday, I hope it is absolutely the best day you could possibly imagine, and you get to spend it with people you love, doing the things you love to do. It's truly my wish for you. It's five point forty and some change we have. Weather and sports. Enjoy today. Enjoy the rain and the warm temperatures because it all goes into the dumpster, not for a fire, but for frozenness, very very quickly. Again, after all, it is January, a breaking back on seven hundred WLW now, but the temperatures will be starting to sink as we run through the day. Rain is primarily the weather maker right now. They will change over to flurries. Those rain drops low seventeen tomorrow morning and then more snow on Sunday. Well, I have only twenty five Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. We're into the single digits and below zero as far as windshills go. So smoke them if you got them now.
Speaker 10: Seven hundred WLW Sports Sean mcmahnon this morning with our sports report.
Speaker 1: McManus, what we got, Well, we.
Speaker 11: Got a lot of sports this weekend, Gary, Jeff, It's a good weekend in January. It's twenty three days until pitchers and catchers report for the Cincinnati Reds. That's February tenth, thirty five days until the first spring training game that will be against the Cleveland Guardians on the twenty second of February, and sixty eight days until one of the best days in this here city, Opening Day. You got that right, you see at Arizona State tip off at two pm. That game will pregame will will begin at one thirty with Dan Terry n MO.
Speaker 1: NFL games will follow.
Speaker 11: I will get to those soon down the dial on fifty five KRC, it's Xavier and Marquette again at two pm, tip one thirty pre game with Joe Sunderman and Byron Larkin, MK, You and Wright stayed one thirty pre game and two pm tip on Fox Sports thirteen sixty with Rick Browing and Jim Kelch and the UC women will take on the Colorado Buffaloes at six pm, also on Fox Sports thirteen six three thirteen sixty pregame coverage at five forty five. And I mentioned those NFL games, we will carry them today. That is Chief Texans at four thirty, your Kansas City Chief Scary Jeff four thirty against the Texans. That game can be found on ESPN on TV, or you can hear it right here on seven hundred WLW as soon as you see and Arizona State finish their game, and then it's Commander's Lions at eight o'clock on Fox Tomorrow, Rams Eagles Sunday three o'clock on NBC. Again, you can hear this game on Sunday on Sunday on seven hundred WLW as well as Ravens bills the game.
Speaker 1: I'm most forward.
Speaker 11: I'm looking most forward to six thirty on CBS and then to cap off the weekend on a Monday night because for some reason, we play college championship games on Monday It's seven point thirty on ESPN Ohio State and Notre Dame for the College Football Playoff National Championship.
Speaker 1: And that game will also air right here on seven hundred WLW News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: Steve Air with us An Selegs. Dedicated to someone named Mondo Doo.
Speaker 1: Who emailed me at Gary Jeff Walker at seven otter WLW dot com and was just raving about this lady's singing Mama Tree, good morning. How are you.
Speaker 12: Let us all go back to.
Speaker 13: A landmark?
Speaker 12: Let us then and shot in the h when Mark let us a call back to a landmark and.
Speaker 14: Give her precess to.
Speaker 15: Us?
Speaker 13: I am.
Speaker 1: Hellelujah? How you doing baby?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 16: I was hot and I got cold.
Speaker 13: Then you said, here's Mama Tree. I had to grab a drink of water.
Speaker 1: Are you having hot flashes or what's the deal?
Speaker 13: Oh no, the first of was cold and from colder can sing?
Speaker 4: No, forget water, can't sing.
Speaker 14: So I had the lady turn it down. She left him.
Speaker 13: I forgot to tell her to come back.
Speaker 1: So you had the proper temperature by the time you got on the air, is what you're telling me. You weren't too hot or too cold cold.
Speaker 13: That's why sound progy. I lost it that bad A blink of an eye then that voice is gone.
Speaker 1: Well, sweetheart, I love her voice, so you know.
Speaker 13: Thank you darling, and do I did sound frog is?
Speaker 1: So what's been going on?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 13: I got this walking marathon one legged woman, shad, I have a bad as old people say, a bad left leg. I'm laying am I main leg that I can? You know I'm getting a wheelchair. You put all the weight on it and bend it and flopped in the chair. Well, I can't do that now because I'm kept knocking my walker into my leg and now sore, and I got the needles in it and I felt the two knots some of the first two walkers. But I'm doing better. I did one hundred and seventy three feet yesterday, walked it highlylujah. I wanted to do one fifty and I did one seventy three. I said, are you right?
Speaker 1: I've only ever seen you in a wheelchair, so I would love to see you out walking.
Speaker 13: Well, I don't walk aus I can't read. How do I walk in an elevator shaft or out next the door?
Speaker 2: No, that's first time I've ever heard somebody say I don't walk.
Speaker 1: Because I can't read.
Speaker 13: Yeah, as a troop cru f.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 17: Oh cat.
Speaker 1: Uh. The wife is is okay, she's recovering. She bruised her tailbone falling in the snow about two weeks ago, and the cat dog is at home right now taking care of her, making sure she has everything she needs.
Speaker 13: You know, doctor Jender Snaps comes to the rescue.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll suggest that listen, I gotta go, mammetry love you.
Speaker 17: That'd be two bye bye, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Five point fifty three. It's seven hunter WLW for some picking and some granted, and mostly some picking.
Speaker 10: This morning, Good morning, Dick, Good morning, good Yip.
Speaker 1: Are you I'm doing great? Day from Dayton. Our friend, our mutual buddy, has got to know what you think about wild card weekend in the NFL. He says, it's the best NFL weekend of the year. The divisional playoffs. We need a four pack of Dick picks. First Texans playing at the Chiefs, Dick, what do you think I think?
Speaker 18: Kansas City thirty one. Let's see who was the who were they playing?
Speaker 17: Now?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 19: The Texans thirty.
Speaker 18: One to seventeen. Okay to Kansas City.
Speaker 1: Commanders at the Lions Washington at Detroit.
Speaker 18: What do you think, Dick, Washington Detroit twenty seven, Washington ten.
Speaker 1: Excellent? You think the Commanders are even going to score ten?
Speaker 20: Huh?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Rams at the Eagles.
Speaker 18: Eagles twenty six, Rams ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not a close game.
Speaker 10: And close and the battle of the MV Most Valuable Player quarterbacks Baltimore and Buffalo.
Speaker 1: The Ravens play at the Bills.
Speaker 18: I'll take the Bills thirty one twenty eight.
Speaker 1: So home teams win all the games. Yes, and I like that you made that one a close one because I think it will be.
Speaker 16: Yeah, all right, So what.
Speaker 1: Else is going on?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 18: Not much. I've got some of my friends, you know, we haven't had much going on, you know, with all this now, and got my car fixed. But things are looking up for me. A couple of my friends are going to come over and help me. I'll get back to my places again. So everybody was concerned. That was very nice. So I'll get back to playing here when the weather gets better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need a full schedule of that. Those concerts when you get a Dick listen, yep. We got to go though, unfortunately, so would you do me a favor? What would you say? Good night Dick?
Speaker 18: Good night Gary, Ye have a good week.
Speaker 1: Thank you brother. Talk to writer. Yeah, that's a Dick Dick from Dayton and the Dick Picks. Just in case you're ready to run to the sportsbook and or hop on your phone, you have the final scores of the divisional playoffs. Now more ahead, because well, I want to stay till nine and get paid seven hundred WLW. So we celebrate the first day back in the studio for Pink Floyd as they were recording Dark Side of the Mood in London in nineteen seventy three. The album would be released March first of that year and then spend I don't know the rest of our lives on the album charts. It was like nine and ninety consecutive weeks the Dark Side of the Moon was charting, and it was all over the radio, that is FM radio, where the announcers sounded like they really didn't care or were I and the music was indicative of the same. Wow, let's pass the incense over to old radio Rick who's got his black light on his on his on his velvet painting and he's ruminating about what has been and what is what is to become of him as he approaches another birthday, Monday. You have a birthday, I do.
Speaker 21: Indeed, I'm turning fourteen because I only celebrate on an inauguration date.
Speaker 12: Good for you.
Speaker 21: It's not working for me at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, in your mind.
Speaker 21: It's right Dark Side of the Moon. He left out the part with the this is My history ending up in someone's frat house with a bunch of the tight T shirts and the black light velvet posters and all the baked frat boys that were trying to get the Dark Side of the Moon SYNCD up with the Wizard of Oz to try to prove that little urban myth.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, supposedly when the chimes go off on time, that's you start the album right there? When she lands in munchkin Land? Is that the deal? And then it sinks up.
Speaker 21: Supposedly they were doing something about the MGM lion roar at the beginning versus starting the album. It never worked. I say that there weren't enough brain cells in the room to figure it out either.
Speaker 1: Maybe you weren't enhanced enough to hear it properly.
Speaker 21: I wasn't enhanced at all or was I impressed? Goodness, Yeah, I was one of those kids. They halfway into it, they figured out I must be the nark because I wasn't partaking.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, you never told me about your undercover days as a narcotic s.
Speaker 21: Well, usually somebody came to my defense by saying, you really want to see him enhanced?
Speaker 1: What how are we listening today? And what on and all of that stuff.
Speaker 21: Rick, I don't do this often, but this is one of the handful of exceptions. You're coming in five y five big shout out to Jim. This is a nineteen eighty two General Electric super radio, their model seven eighty five be as and boy, I don't often work on transistor sets or anything that's this particularly new, but the GE super radios are one of those exceptions because they are incredible. They have a moultiple RS and I have stages so they can pick up freaking everything. And today is I mean, this is one of those that is a five plus by five plus reception. It couldn't be louder, it couldn't be clearer, and incredible fidelity on this thing. Two separate speakers, separate base and volume control even AM sounds almost like FM.
Speaker 16: It is.
Speaker 21: It is wonderful and thanks to the internal oversized AM antenna, although it's directional as you have to turn the radio, it does it's well. Words. I don't have words, and yet I keep talking.
Speaker 1: It happens quite often to me. I understand.
Speaker 2: So now, Rick, here's here's the The question I have is can you get them?
Speaker 1: Are they very rare? And are they very expensive? If you can find one?
Speaker 21: When they sold new, they sold for Sony nine ninety five, which is no, I don't know about two hundred and fifty dollars today and you can still get them for between fifty and three hundred dollars. It all makes difference on the condition. And eBay is the greatest place to get them. And that's what this was. I helped this individual pick out several on eBay that I would recommend, and then they shipped to me and I did some cleanup on it. And the worst thing about the only bad thing about these super radios is the power switch, because if you're not careful and you take the case apart to open it up, you will break the power switch. So I knowing better and being the smartest band at all, times opened it up and broke the power switch, but I'm so used to doing that. Then I fixed it and it was better for it, and now Jim knows the truth. But anyways, the thing is there's three super radios and it's very, very difficult to follow, so bear with me. There's super Radio one, two and three.
Speaker 16: There you go.
Speaker 21: Two is hands down the greatest one. The first one and the second one are very similar, but the first one only had one speaker, so there is a difference in sound. And the third one isn't the bad radio, but it's a completely different design and it lost some losso performance and it was also cheaper. Gee tried to kind of reinvigorate the whole idea in the nineties and it was okay, but.
Speaker 1: It was the one more bad, but it wasn't the one you're talking about that you're working on though.
Speaker 21: This is the two, and it's just I mean, it is incredible with absolutely no one tend to help whatsoever. You're coming in like your next door, which is just that does not happen often in my basement.
Speaker 22: Now.
Speaker 21: Te started out with their trying to promote it by saying you can hear right down into the band noise. Now not an untrue statement, but not exactly Catsy's sloganism.
Speaker 16: So they brought in.
Speaker 21: The a students who said, bring Bach to the backwoods, Mozart to the mountains, or disco to the desert.
Speaker 1: There you go. I love a little desert disco. Listen, man, have a fantastic rest of the weekend, try and stay warm, and happy birthday on Monday.
Speaker 21: Brother, Hey, thank you so very much.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a real reason to have a party right there, Old radio Rick at gmail dot com if you'd like to get in touch.
Speaker 10: Every day.
Speaker 23: I thank god I live in America.
Speaker 1: Thank God we don't live in some slop hole like Britain. And I thank god for Bill Cunningham. He's the voice of my America. He's the voice of my America too.
Speaker 12: That's because he's the great American American.
Speaker 24: Willie gives me hope for America.
Speaker 25: He knows we can all achieve the American dream.
Speaker 1: You just got to work hard and listen to Willie. Even my dog listens.
Speaker 24: That's a great American dog.
Speaker 26: Bill Cunningham, Monday at twelve noon on seven hundred w.
Speaker 5: The recent wildfires that ravaged Los Angeles now account for one of the largest disasters in the history of our country. Now iHeartRadio is brief.
Speaker 1: March fifteenth is the date of the anniversary party, the Saturday morning anniversary bash that I throw for myself every year and for everybody who listens and everybody who's a part of the program. March fifteenth, market on your calendars, clear away some time to come and spend some time with all of us at a two be determined location. We did it at Huddles last year, and that may be the option again. On a Saturday afternoon, March fifteenth, the Saturday Morning twenty eighth Saturday Morning Edition, twenty eighth anniversary party of this program, and we will celebrate accordingly. Gang from Ripley coming up. This is Doug Gottlieb. Here's what's trending from the Iheartsports Network, presented by Verizon super Bowl fan Fest.
Speaker 27: College Hoops Bearcats take on ASU Xavior battles mark Head this afternoon on the ice of The Blue Jackets go for a seventh straight win tonight against the Rangers. The NBA Best Calves take on Minnesota tonight. Japanese pitcher Roki Sasaki analysis will join the Dodgers. They reportedly signed a minor league deal and receive a six point five million dollars signing bonus and Nfield Divisional playoffs. The Chiefs those of Texans Lions battle the Commanders. I'm Trey Venders Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: The Verizon Super Bowl Fan Fast is coming to TQL Stadium on February ninth. Catch the game, meet the league's legends, and more.
Speaker 1: You win.
Speaker 7: For all the details, check out Verizonfanfest dot com. Must be eighteen years older or accompanied by a parent or legal guardian too.
Speaker 1: A tenth terms apply.
Speaker 16: Jeff Lenernissan dot Com.
Speaker 1: We're definitely gonna be late to the concert.
Speaker 7: I feel like we should be there by now.
Speaker 23: I'm just taking a little.
Speaker 28: I'm toasting you.
Speaker 3: Sit hon and we may meet through.
Speaker 16: You'll never care me.
Speaker 1: Come play.
Speaker 28: Goes.
Speaker 25: I got friends and places were whiskey round land there, jem.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's float away to happy Land and visit our friends east of town, all the way down fifty two to how now Brown County. The lovely village of Ripley, Ohio on the banks of the Mighty Ohio River. On Main Street, there is a place called Brookie Saloon, and they gather early on Saturdays just to talk to little old me.
Speaker 10: Good morning, gang, good bye, good morning.
Speaker 23: We have seven folks and a quarter, including Dinah. Before we get started, I've got you a voice and opinion. This morning, I get really upset with people who will not answer their phones or texts. This is a shout out, and I'm trashing Ronald Hord buzzing off at this morning.
Speaker 12: He set up this deal.
Speaker 23: Over Taters Saloon in Washington, Kentucky, which is a wonderful establishment.
Speaker 1: Is that where you are? Is that where you are there?
Speaker 23: No, we are at Brookie's if because he would not answer his phone all week. To confirm this, Douglas Tip called to Colin. I've tried to call him.
Speaker 29: So I'm on my way.
Speaker 23: Alleni and Dina's on our way down here, and he burns my phone up. Are you on your way to Tator's? I said, nope, I'm on my way to Brookies. Maybe you need to answer your phone. So anyway, we would have been a Tater's if Buzzul answered the phone. So okay, I'm done with my rant.
Speaker 30: Here's Sherry oh Man. Yes he's wound up about that.
Speaker 3: Let me I tell you.
Speaker 10: I tell you what Brown County where the women or women, where the women or women and the men are nervous.
Speaker 1: I do not want, I do not want to inspire the ire of that lady ever.
Speaker 14: Burn Skippy, just answer your fune' that's my message today, all right?
Speaker 30: Anyway, Well the money's up to how much today? One fourteenth one fourteenth five. But there's no drawing this week, Brookies getting out of town for a little bit.
Speaker 10: Vacation rearch, So so you're not you're not doing the Queen of Hearts next Wednesday.
Speaker 1: It'll be the following Wednesday, Is that right?
Speaker 30: That's try all.
Speaker 1: Right, one hundred and fourteen to five. That's nice.
Speaker 23: Glad to have him back.
Speaker 1: Well, I get yeah. I mean I was glad to see Doug this week too, after his uh, his extended cancuon vacation, you know. Being the oil baron of Brown County, he goes to all kinds of exotic places all the time.
Speaker 20: And we've got.
Speaker 23: Matt Miller back there hiding in the corner.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and Lexi and likely back there be.
Speaker 1: Able to drink like a yeah, I was gonna say, he's not hiding, he's behind the bar. He's stealing Darren Booze, I know exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 30: Yere's kaplan.
Speaker 23: I mean, I'm not angry Buzz. I'm just fussing outing.
Speaker 1: That's all right. You can be angry at Buzz, I don't. It doesn't bother me if you're angry at Buzz. I do think that every once in a while you should do a welfare check if you can crawl up the hill to that house that he lives upon. I don't know how somebody like Buzz lives in a house where you've got to high halfway up a mountain when he's inebriated most of the time. I don't if Buzz was sober, I don't think he could make it up the hill. He can only do it drunk.
Speaker 23: We're gonna hire you with you because everyone in this bar is taking him home more than once, and that hill is difficult for a sober person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think. I don't know more than once in the what's the weather rock situation? We got to move.
Speaker 30: Along here, okay, Well the weather rock. I went around the block and the snow's kind of melted down there. I don't even see it, so I don't know where.
Speaker 10: It's that I'll have to if somebody stole somebody stole the weather rock in Ripley, it's time to This is an on air appeal. Get it back, put it back in its property.
Speaker 30: Jerry might have picked it up somewhere or whatever. It was down under all that snow and it's kind of melted. I don't see it, but we're going to investigate again.
Speaker 1: This is the number one tourist attraction in your town, so we need to get that restored to its proper place. Listen, I gotta go, Gang, but thank you so much for the report.
Speaker 14: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: That's that's it. Learn your lines seven. I don't know what Steve is going to talk about here. I don't want to steal his thunder. But March fourth, eighteen forty one one, William Henry Harrison of Ohio was sworn in as President of these United States. It was a very cold, very wet day. He would die thirty two days later of pneumonia. So maybe there is precedent for bringing the inauguration indoors. Don't you think it's been done before? Steve fromatt in Ohio, good morning, my friend.
Speaker 8: Good morning Gary, Jeff. These wildfires in La these Acidine confirmation hearings. In literature, we would call this pitiful play a farce. Among the faithful, there is a call for deliverance from this evil and escape from the wilderness. When I observed a lesbian cult running the La fifty, where a wh male has to wait seven years to be considered for employment because he checks no boxes, I draw on my exposure to the Bible in Shakespeare to make sense of all of this crap. The Bard of Avon gave us one of the most outrageous comic characters in literature. Sir John Falstaff, or just playing Jack, is described by a judge in the King's court as a fool and jester who self describes as young, but is in fact old, lame, and whose belly is increasing in size daily. But he has an ace and a hole. He hangs out in a tavern also a brothel, with the son of the king, Prince Hal, and the Prince is a piece of work. Also, Shakespeare evidently has read Luke's account in the Bible of the Prodigal's Son. In one of Prince Hal's practical jokes, he induces Jack Falstaff and his highwaymen to rob travelers, which they do, unaware that Hal and a co conspiracor are waiting in the disguise to in turn rob Jack and the gang of their ill gotten booty. And yet another incident, Hal punches the Lord Chief Justice for prosecuting one of the tavern terribles. But Hal's dad, that's Henry the Fourth, is beset by an army of nobles who are trying to depose him.
Speaker 17: This means war.
Speaker 8: Jack Falstaff naturally does not take his recruiting duties very seriously, accepting bribes to exempt slackers from military service while signing up the worst of the rest. Does not democrat VP Canada. Tim Walls remind you of Jack Falstaff. This is where Falstaff and the prodigals part ways. The prince reconciles with his dad over the son's wicked ways. Dad wins the war despite Jack Falstaff's personnel policies. The King, however, dies of old age. Hal becomes Henry the Fifth, kicks False Staff and the rest of the bar crowd out of his life, and heeds Dak's dad's deathbid advice to invade France and take it over. But this is a classic case of creating a foreign distraction. From domestic issues. Known as Wagging the Dog is Donald Trump's fascination with Canada. Wagging the Dog not a good idea, since it would require the approval of the National Hockey League and that ain't gonna happen. Sport Trump's Trump back to England and the French Caper. There is a supernatural curse hanging over the Henry family. Hal's dad engineered the death of his predecessor and this will come back to haunt his son and his grandson, just as today, assassination plots and overseas excursions are part and parcel of the body politic. In France, Henry does manage one of the great military upsets, defeating the French force, vastly superior in numbers, at Ajincour in fourteen fifteen. The King of France is going mad. His son and heir apparent is adult, and one of the nobles, the Duke of Burgundy, is happy to broker a deal that will make Henry also the King of France. All Henry has to do is marry the King's daughter, Catherine. He does, but it's all downhill from there. Henry dies of natural causes at age thirty five, and he also dies before the French king, so Henry never gets to succeed to the throne. Ah the curse. The saving grace came soon. However, the French king does die and Henry's son by Catherine does become the King of France, besides being Henry the sixth of England. But the latest Henry is a bit of a bookworm. He's an intellectual who manages to lose France and more importantly, his life back in England when the future Richard the third stabs him while he is reading a book. It was his grandfather who once said, uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Grandson lamented civil dissension is a viprous worm that gnaws the bowels.
Speaker 14: Of the common wealth.
Speaker 8: Ah, what did the Bible say? The sins of the father ps and a famous goodbye to staff in his crowd, Henry the fifth delivers a curse forever on de Ei quote, we will, according to your strengths and qualities, give you advancement, words to live by in any time and placemen, God bless everybody.
Speaker 1: Bye, good stuff as always from Steve from Meton, Ohio, Ray from Loveland Race, got my brother, how are you this morning?
Speaker 31: Good morning, Gary's you have good morning. She's coming in loud and clear in your award winning program, and I just a quick note, my friend. You know, I think it's we need to give the first ladies of our country their due. And you know there's there's been impactful first ladies more than others. And comes to mind Eleanor Roosevelt, bless her heart. She could be considered the the mother of the era movement and equal rights for women and a lot of good things that that's brought. We had Betty Ford and the Betty Ford Centers, bless her heart, who's helped many many and still does I pray we had, you know, then time moved on and we get news bites.
Speaker 16: And clips, and you.
Speaker 31: Know Nancy Reagan in her Just Say No to Drugs a great program, and not to be outdone, Michelle Obama.
Speaker 17: Using her platform to show the world how the peaceful transition of power should occur with her slogan, I just can't go God, bless you, my brother.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ray. Maybe she should try some meta musal or something. I don't know. I will talk to Steve Schulty after the news at seven o'clock as we trudge on on a Saturday morning seven hundred WLW at into another hour of the Saturday Morning edition, January eighteenth, twenty twenty five. Gary Jeff Walker, that's me and you, and that's perfectly fine with me as well you. I think you're doing a great job. Time to talk to environmental engineer Steve Schulty.
Speaker 12: I see trees, some green.
Speaker 1: Red roses too, I see them blue.
Speaker 3: Fuming you, and I think to myself, what I wonder?
Speaker 1: What a wonderful world it day? Good morning, mister Shelty. How are you so?
Speaker 28: Good morning, mister Gary Jeff, Yes, sir, yes, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 32: It's it's a wonderful day, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: No, no, no question.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 10: We're talking about the continuing ev debacle, and it is a debacle.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and there are all kinds of questions arising as to whether these these tax credits are going to continue for and whether the mandates are still going to be in place after Monday. God, let's hope not.
Speaker 32: Anyway, Yep, anyway, this is uh. I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I thought, oh is this dear dear to Garret jes Haart.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 32: It's from reason dot Org, UH Reason Foundation Surface Transportation Innovations by UH, Robert Pole Jr.
Speaker 16: And UH.
Speaker 32: Title of the article is the electric vehicle debacle does in the last six months have been dismal for those hoping for US electric vehicle future. Here's a small example of news articles from this period. Auto industry retreat from evs hastens.
Speaker 1: This is the Wall.
Speaker 32: Street Journal of August twenty three, at twenty twenty four. Electric vehicle sales are stumbling. Here's why. Bloomberg September twenty ninth, twenty twenty four. Low used eding crisis pinch dealers and owners. The Wall Street Journal, October fourteenth, twenty twenty four. The dream of cheap US electric cars fades Wall Street Journal, November.
Speaker 16: Of eighteen at twenty twenty four.
Speaker 32: And the last, but not least, things get worse for the ED startups The Wall Street Journal, December second. The last of these articles includes Grass showing the shrinking cash balances among EV startups and the dismal share prices of those companies such as Fisker, Lucid, and Rivian that are public get traded. The declining sales of electric vehicles have led to setbacks for plans to build huge ED battery plants, not only here but also in.
Speaker 16: ED friendly Europe.
Speaker 32: Volvo has put on hold plans to build a large plant to make batteries for its electric trucks, and the very ambitious startup Weedi's EV battery company, North Volt, filed for bankruptcy soon thereafter. These weren't designs to our federal and state governments that large subsidies to build.
Speaker 16: Battery plants would not be a wise move. I go even further, Garrett Jeff.
Speaker 32: They are nothing more than welfare boondoggles for rich crony crapolists.
Speaker 16: But anyway, Douverle.
Speaker 32: State governments have provided state a for evy batteries, but the most enormous substies come from us, believe your federal taxpayers. The latest was announced in November with great fan here when the Fighting Regimes Department of Energy at six point six billion loans and nearly bankrupt Ribbean for an EV plant in Georgia. I mean, if this wasn't our money, it's funny it built. It would have the capacity to produce four hundred thousand SUVs and crossovers per year. Rivian has lost about four billion on the thirty seven thousand, four hundred vehicles it's sold in the first nine months of last year and has one point to five billion in debt. So here are our federal government is giving all this billions of our money.
Speaker 16: To a company.
Speaker 32: The bill four hundred thousand SUVs and crossovers and last year not even I don't know what it did this year, but it's probably under fifty thousand. Department Andrew recently finalized even larger nine point six billion loans for the Ford EV battery plant in Tennessee. And as I've reported, it's been Ford has been losing tons of money on his tour selling at evs Again, Gary, Jeff, just you know, you'd be laughing at this if it wasn't urging.
Speaker 1: Here's here's I think a pertinent question, Steve, and we need to kind of wrap it up. But the question I have, if someone can answer, did Henry four get subsidies for the government to put the assembly line together and to build the model.
Speaker 3: T Did he No?
Speaker 1: I think he did that all on his own. And this was cutting edge technology at the time, especially the assembly line, which could produce these affordable cars for the common man. That the common man was not subsidizing with their tax dollars. So if it's a good enough idea, some entrepreneur, some builder should be able to make them on their own, and if they're so wonderful, they should be flying off the showroom floors. The fact is they're not, and we're paying for it. And you know what that giant sucking sound is the EV push, the electronic vehicle push. Thank you, Steve. Have a glorious blessed weekend. It's seven to twelve.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, in the entrented forest, the princess is calling for help, which fightings beat our hero's Eddie.
Speaker 1: The first dawn of fitness in the Tri State Rocco Costelano joining us once again on a Saturday morning. Rocco, we got something pretty serious. I mean, everything we talk about is kind of serious. But we're talking about heart attacks. And you just were personally touched by someone who suffered a massive heart attack at the age of fifty five. What do you know? What can you tell us about of the heart and heart attacks?
Speaker 3: Well, so, a really good friend of mine, Steve Cotter. He was one of the like the godfathers of the kettlebell movement. He had a he had a big organization called on the ik FF. And and why I wanted to talk about this is because he was literally in the best shape of his life. And at fifty five years old, he won the master's division, like the championships in jiu jitsu. I mean, he just won it. And he wound up suffering a massive heart attack. And he was fifty five years old and losing weight to make weight, and he never got checked. And what I want to talk about today is about when you're after fifty years old, literally everything goes sideways, and if you're not getting checked and making sure that your bodies not going sideways. And you know, and he did, he did all this training, he was training very very hard, and he didn't get checked. And uh, and there's there's many things out there now, there's a lot of technology. There's scans that you can do. And I recommend that most people, especially men but women also go and get the like the life scans that are out there to to just get a baseline of their health.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and and you can get you know, you can. What do you think about the cardiomobile things where you can check your your heart rhythm right on the spot.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that any time that you can, you can test. I'm a big advocate for getting blood tests. I get my blood tested, you know, every four months. But you don't have to be that extreme. But I recommend, uh, yeah, do the cardio mobile, get your blood pressure tested. Don't be an idiot and say, oh, well, I don't really I'm I go, I work out all the time, and I'm and I feel great.
Speaker 16: You know, there may.
Speaker 3: Be an underlying thing that you don't know about. And this is this is our theory, is that there was something underlying and he was training so hard, so you know, and and many people after forty five they start getting into exercise so that they could you know, feel better and be you know, and live a better life. Well, if you're just starting to exercise or get, test it and get.
Speaker 14: And make sure that you're in, you know, in the shape that you believe that you're in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's good advice. Rococostelano dot com. If you'd like to know more about Rocco's fitness regimens and his many many articles. There you bet it's a Diary of a mad Man. The Tom Davis Diaries with wacky news stories from around the world and around the country.
Speaker 25: Here's Tom good morning, Gary Jeff This week, what happened to the evidence?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 25: The rats ate it, of course, But first, will the tyranny of the HSA ever end?
Speaker 1: And book? A Ratan?
Speaker 25: A Florida homeowners association is suing Lois Blake for feeding the ducks. Poor Lois probably moved down there to spend your last few remaining good years with good people having good times, not being dragged to court for feeding ducks who naturally migrate to nearby bonds. I hope she counters whos and wins up money to buy more ducks. Meanwhile, in the hometown of the Hoosiers, Bloomington, INDIANMA, some college kid must have had a major case of the late night munchies. He broke into a Taco Bell and started cooking. This was like four in the morning. The breakfast crew showed up and spotted somebody already inside. Brandon Harden was arrested. He initially tried to tell police that his family owned the place. Apparently they didn't buy the story that his mom and dad started a restaurant called Taco Bell. Parents in Denver were scared out of their minds when they heard reports of shots fired at their local school. Thankfully, it was just a squirrel who got into the electrical system and tripped a bunch of breakers. And finally, sure, there are plenty of rats behind bars, But what about the evidence room. Police in a small Texas town say that evidence has been disappearing because the rats have been eating it. It just so happens to be cannabis and mushrooms and cash. And apparently the rats are on a roll because over three thousand court cases have been affected. And this isn't the first time disappearing evidence has been blamed on rats.
Speaker 1: It happened a.
Speaker 25: Couple of years ago in New Orleans and those rats were reportedly out of control because they were so high. Next week, man calls nine to one to one after spotting quote mermaid in sewer system.
Speaker 1: Have a great.
Speaker 33: Temperatures and a temp of thirty eight in the morning. As for the rest of Saturday, that rain will change over to a little bit of mix into the afternoon as we fall from forty into the thirties.
Speaker 1: By then at night cloudy.
Speaker 33: In nineteen Sunday, a chance for snow showers and a high at twenty five. That's the forecast I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawley.
Speaker 1: Seven one hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 10: It's one of those weekends when all kinds of sporting action converging in just a finite number of days to run down some of what's ahead.
Speaker 1: Sean McMahon is here, Sean.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a beautiful weekend for sports. Gary Jeff here on seven hundred WLW. It's a two pm tip off, one thirty pre game you see hosting Arizona State looking for their second conference winning the Big twelve Xavier down the dial on fifty five KRC two pm tip, one to thirty pre game taking on the number seven Marquette Golden Eagles, and number four Alabama travels to Roup Arena to take on the number eight Kentucky Wildcast.
Speaker 1: That game is a noon tip. You can hear that on fifteen thirty. Yeah, that's that's that's a big game, big time game, big time. There's lots of good games.
Speaker 11: I think Auburn takes on Oh shoot, I forgot who they take on there. Anyway, big Top twenty five match up at Auburn today. We got lots of football as well this weekend. It's the NFL Divisional round in the playoffs, It's Chiefs Texans at four thirty and Commander's Lions at eight o'clock. Rams Eagles Sunday at three o'clock, Ravens Bills Sunday at six thirty. All those games can be heard here on seven hundred WLW, as well as Monday's college football playoff National Championship game. That is a seven thirty kickoff.
Speaker 1: Ohio and the Notre Dame fighting irish about it, and I'm predicting a victory, not necessarily because I want that, but that's just how I feel that it's going to go down. I would have to agree. And you know, but the fact that Notre Dames in this National championship game is just incredible. It's wild.
Speaker 11: You wouldn't think after watching them lose to NIU they'd be in a national championship game, but here they are.
Speaker 1: There. You go, well, Ohio State. The real kickstart for them was losing to Michigan. It was, and they've been bulldozing through the competition ever since. It's one heck of a fire underneath them. I'll tell you that, doubt seven seven. It's seven hundred WLW. Big Hits birthday bitch and more in Rock and Roll Archaeology on a Saturday morning on seven hundred wlw.
Speaker 2: And men.
Speaker 34: And men and had been lame man and sing it over men and men and men and man and seize the little quacky back.
Speaker 19: Rapped in amaze, or a Christmas morning singing in a tim bout, talking with the elders.
Speaker 35: To Borrow's house. Whiz then man, man, man.
Speaker 10: Here they are the impressions singing Amen, hallelujah.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 1: It's rock and Roll Archaeology. Garriy Jeff and Jim Lebarber the music professor, prof good morning, tell me about this little ditty and this wonderful vocal group.
Speaker 16: Yeah, this is the week.
Speaker 22: This is the week in nineteen ninety one that the Impressions were inductive into the rock and roll Hall of Fame. And what happened to that song was well critis. Mayfield went to see the Sydney Poortier film Lilies of the Field and was very inspired by the movie. Out of the theater, went back on into the studio and did his own little version of the song with the musical spring low Sweet Harriot and then that marching rhythm to the song, and it was the first big hit that the group after Jerry Butler left and Curtis Mayfield became the lead singer that he did not write. So that was the first song that he did not write because he had so many great songs. Gipsy Woman, It's all right, keep on pushing and we.
Speaker 14: Go on on.
Speaker 22: And this song is a big, big hit with a big man seller, top seven hit in nineteen sixty four. And that's Curtis Mayfield and leads and comparable lead singer with great harmonies, Sam Goodman, Freddy Cash into the.
Speaker 16: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame today.
Speaker 1: All right, fantastic, moving on our list. This is almost the flip side of the coin of Amen, the bad Boys of rock and roll, the Rolling Stones in the spotlight.
Speaker 22: Yeah, this was the week Rolling Stones were on the holy Grail of television, the Ed Tullivan Show. And you did what Ed said to do if you're going to be on that show. And they had a record Ruby Tuesday, and the flip side was getting pushed cold. Let's spend the night together, and Ed said, Okay, you can sing on the show, but you have to change it to let's spend some time together, and he gave it. Mick Jagger gave into him, but when he sang it. When they sang it on the show this week in nineteen sixty seven, Mick Jagger showed his displeasure. If you see the videos on YouTube, he rolls his eyes when he sings the line. I mean he really rolls his line when he sings the line. When he sings that line. And as a result of the incident, as some of them curious and he banned them their band from the performing on the show. Of course, they came back two years later and sang for the songs. But the unusual instrument on the track is a piano rather than the guitar. And according to those side notes, according to the rank Glen John's who was the engineer at the session, that the tapping sound in the bridge came about when two police officers came into the studio in London while they were mixing the track and distract them from the various drugs that were take away. The Stones manager had them the cups record and take the bang banging beats the batons that they had their little batons yea and had been hit hit the counter and that actually made the final cut of the song. So Mick Jagger at all. Mick Jagger said, look, this is not He wrote that the night Million Painful said the first night that they spent together, wrote the song, and Jagged said, it's not dirty, he said, Mick Jagger said, what it means is, shall we spend the evening together? If people want to have a warp twisted, dirty mind, I suppose it could have the sexual overtones.
Speaker 16: Soong isn't really rude, It's not perverted. When you hear it, you'll realize this. So is the song. Let's spend the night together.
Speaker 1: Let's spend some time with the rolling stone, shall we.
Speaker 36: I'm lord, I'm going right myself, time, time, my mouth.
Speaker 15: Chas, spend those nicetygather.
Speaker 34: Thatgather.
Speaker 6: Let's spend the nicety gather.
Speaker 24: I'm going a can.
Speaker 1: Of span over and spend the nightgether. But I'm telling a job.
Speaker 36: Bole's spend a nice things.
Speaker 1: Don't rang me up, let.
Speaker 36: Me down, let me down.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Mick, what do you call fooling around? He's right there, Jimmy, he's talking about fooling around. It's not a this is not a pure song. So what amazes me about that story with Ed Sullivan is that Ed Sullivan banned them for the from the show, even though they did what he told them to do with the song, but mix rolling his eyes, that's why he banned him.
Speaker 22: Oh yeah, he's really upset with him. That was a holy grail of television.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, I know. The Beatles appearing seventy seven million people tuning in. Up next is the story of a temptation that no longer was a temptation and went solo. Tell me about David Ruffin.
Speaker 22: Well, David Ulan in the spot length today we lost in the choice a number of years ago. As you'll like, Well, it sas here in Cincinnati today. He would to celebrate the birthday David Rufton, the great lead thing with the Temptations went to the Southern Guy went to Detroit nineteen fifty seven as a kid, and he meets Barry Gordy, junior songwriter, up and coming songwriter, and they become friends and he moves in. Barry Gordy's father took him in and he lived with Barry Gordy's father, who was a contractor, and he helped Pops Gordy construct what is now the building, actually the home that is the headquarters for Motown Records, Hitsville, USN. So he built that, helped to build that, build that home. Now he was with the group of Temptations. Okay, Now he was not originally the lead singer. He's a background vocalist. But Smokey Robinson was writing and producing their songs, and he wrote My Girl for him. He loved his voice, that unique mellow, rough sounding voice though, and a whole bunch of bits, you know, all they had since I lost my baby and too crowded the bag with no other on and basidently a non vocal contribution that he made to the Temptations was a master by a genius move. He trademarked the foreheaded microphone to enable the other guys to sing and do those steps at one microphone, and then he had the solo microphone. It's still used to this day. Okay, so he's the lead singer of the group. Now said is the lead singer of the Supremes, and it becomes Dan lost in the Supremes. He goes to the guys and he goes, hey, I wanted to be David Rufflin the Temptations, and he was doing drugs.
Speaker 16: At the time.
Speaker 22: Wasn't showing up and he said, let's just knew the Temptations and you do. David Ruffin, well, he had a contract with Motown and he said, I'm leaving. I'm leaving, and they said, well you have some records. Because you have a solo contract with us, we want you to make some records. So he did make this record. Several hits, but this was the big one. This was his solo debut for Motown. And originally this was a Temptation song. He's supposed to do with the Temptations, but he's a solo so he sang it. The song a melody is a classical musical piece. The intro by Felix Mendelssohn a beautiful ballad. It timeless classic that captures the essence of heartbreak.
Speaker 16: And this song is my whole world. And at the moment you left.
Speaker 24: Me last week, my life, that meeting, it was beautiful and.
Speaker 1: So sweet, but.
Speaker 34: That wo to me the whole world in complete, cos.
Speaker 9: I can't see you know all that was all that you say, but you do not is with our mail bas the God to.
Speaker 10: The remembering the marvelous David Ruffin, on the anniversary of his birth, miss that voice.
Speaker 1: It's rock and roll archaeology on seven hundred W l W. Gary Jenffen, Jim Lebarbara the music professor, were down to the last on the list today and uh, this is one of my favorites.
Speaker 22: Yeah this this guy was celebrated. Well yeah, man, he's still a lot celebrated the birthday on Tuesday. Nay Clarence Carter is.
Speaker 1: He still is he still stroking? You think he's still stroking?
Speaker 22: Apparently he still performs everybody but once in a while.
Speaker 16: He got there.
Speaker 22: Graduate from Alabama State University and my Gunway Alabama. Uh, he made some great records stroking. Of course you mentioned slip Away was the first big head he had, but this is really his signature song came about This song was written by General Johnson, the chairman of the board, and he heard it on the album If I got to do that song and they did it the famed studios down the muscle sholes and it's the story of the boy who grows up on a family farm in Alabama. There's nickname is Patches because of the old clothes he was wearing. It would patch together. And he really was that class. Carter really was from Alabama. They didn't grow up on the farm, never worked the fields. His delivery was very convincing. A lot of people thought that I thought it was his life story, even though that we found out he was blind, so absolutely wasn't his story. But he felt like a thought, he said. After he got letters from fans praising his dedication to his family and citing him as a true inspiration, he said he heard it the course from General Johnson and.
Speaker 16: Sherman of the boy.
Speaker 22: He said, I got to do my own, and he said I wanted to Samuel Matural, and I guess I tried to.
Speaker 16: Move too hard for some people.
Speaker 22: And when he recorded the song, he didn't He didn't even know the lyrics, so somebody stood behind him whispered them to him when he did his vocal, and it became a number four million sellar in nineteen seventy. Patches Clarence Carter.
Speaker 15: Oh, yeah, I was born and raised down in Alabama, on a farm, way back up in the woods.
Speaker 1: Thanks proud.
Speaker 37: I was so ragged the folks used to call him, and Patches Papa used to tease him by it, go step down inside.
Speaker 15: He was hurt because he'd done all he could.
Speaker 6: Papa was a great old man.
Speaker 37: I can see him with a shovel in his hands. See education he never had. He didn't want us when the time got bad, they don't want it.
Speaker 38: From the crops he raised fellow panes and bills we made who life that ricked him down to look out when he tried to get up life putting thing down. One day I was coming to his dying man put his hands on my shoulders and in tears he said, he said, patches.
Speaker 34: On your son. Through my shig side led up.
Speaker 37: To two days later Papa passed to wind.
Speaker 16: I became a man that day.
Speaker 37: So I told Mama I was gonna quit school, but she.
Speaker 1: Said that was Daddy's strictest ruth. So every morning when I went to school, I met the chickens in a chop bud too. Sometimes I felt that I couldn't go on. I wanted to leave, just wanna wave him from home.
Speaker 6: But I wouldn't remember what my daddy said. With tears in his eyes on his dying man, he.
Speaker 1: Said, patches, I'm the bed, do your son. I tried to do my pass it's up.
Speaker 15: Then one day a strong rain came and watched all the crops of weight and at the age of thirteen, I thought I was carrying the weight of the whole world on my shoulders.
Speaker 37: And you know, Mama knew what I was going through because every day I had.
Speaker 6: To work the pills because that's the only.
Speaker 37: Way we've got our meal. See, I was the oldest self of family, and everybody has depended on me.
Speaker 16: Every night.
Speaker 37: I've heard my mama pray loud, haven't spread to make good other day though he is a pass and all the kids are wrong.
Speaker 6: Then he just took me, Mama to a brand new long those.
Speaker 1: People I shed his chees.
Speaker 6: But my dad and his boy has kept me through the years saying, Patches, just.
Speaker 1: It's up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I always believed that was an autobiographical song myself. Not so Clarence Carter. Patches just had a birthday this past week. And one extra from the files on Rock and Roll Archaeology. This was the date of nineteen seventy three that Pink Floyd reconvened in the em I now Abbey Road Studios to complete Dark Side of the Moon, their landmark album released in March of that year. So a few moments of Zen with Pink Fluorid speak to me breathe in the air seven under WLW. It is truly better than xen x eight minutes after the hour, and all of this whining, I'm hearing like the farmer from Oklahoma complaining about not getting to see the inauguration of President Trump outside in minus zero wind chill. Sorry inside, it's a smart thing to do. Science Mike is standing by and hopefully he's got some more smart things to talk about in a science minute this morning. Yes, but as a night scientist is a bit surprising, all binding me. Good morning, Michael, how are you?
Speaker 20: I don't want to stand out in that cold weather?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It was the most logical thing to do. And now I guess some are framing it as a negative against Donald Trump that the decision was made to take the inauguration inside. These people will stop at nothing when it comes to finding ways to complain about Trump, even now. It's amazing.
Speaker 20: You know the last president who had inside, don't.
Speaker 1: You, Reagan nineteen eighty five. Yeah.
Speaker 20: I think there's some snaffoo about the data sell on a still had it outside event afterwards, But they had to do it. They had to do it on that day to follow the Constitution or something of that nature. I thought that's the way it was. Anyhow, Happy birthday, Radio Rick.
Speaker 16: Help you get my.
Speaker 20: Bouquet of color coded resisters, so that'd be a perfect gift, you know. I was just listening, like for I'll listen to Radio Rick in the morning. I actually I listened to on my radio shock alarm clock radio that I got when I was twelve years old. So I actually I'm still living some of that old radio history with Radio Rick.
Speaker 1: Every morning. Somebody sent me a picture. Mike sent me a picture at Gary Jeff Walker at seven out of WLW dot com of his ge super radio. He has one sent me a screenshot of it, and it is a gorgeous little piece of marvelous modern technology.
Speaker 20: You had your little segment with Steve. Real quick before we get to the topic. You asked about the Henry Ford getting government money. But one of the most amazing facts about you know, inventors is, and we just spent a whole show on this, but real quick, the Wright brothers they spent one thousand dollars of their own money for the first developing flight, and Langley at the same time got seventy thousand dollars of government money.
Speaker 16: And couldn't get off the ground.
Speaker 10: So that's that tells you every That tells you everything you need to know about government subsidized projects.
Speaker 1: Anyway, well what do you got ours?
Speaker 20: So we got the you never know what shows up on your ring doorbell, Gary Jeff Back, July of twenty twenty four. Last year, a couple up in Prince Edward Island in Charlott'stown. They were walking their dogs outside and when they came back home, they saw just a total like something like all this debris over the front patio at their door entrance. And someone in neighbor him or say I heard something, a big crash or something. You might check something to see what happened, And they checked their ring camera and uh, well, like, well, this is the first time event that a ring camera actually caught a meteorite. It hit the front front door, like I said, hit the front doors through and pulverized on contact, and they actually caught It's on It's on the videos on YouTube, and it's pretty interesting to see it is the thing that probably hit was no more the size of a little pecan or something of that nature. But the it broke up in the and they were able to get some of the pieces together and they took it to the sent it off and actually it was with a material called krandite.
Speaker 16: It is a non metallic.
Speaker 20: Mineral that is forms actually formed from the early Solar system made that made planets up. So these this couple that has on the ring camera meteorite crashing onto the front doors through Luckily there was an Amazon being delivered at the time.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt, Michael, have a wonderful weekend and stay warm as we get the full effects of the polar vortex.
Speaker 16: Bring some wood in there you go.
Speaker 1: It's eight eleven. It's seven hundred W l W.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump, the forty fifth President W United States. Okay, becomes the forty seventh president W United States President. Get full red, white, and blue copperage up the pop, the pageantry and all the oath taking excitement.
Speaker 16: By Donald John Trump.
Speaker 5: You solemnly swear Donald Trump's not your racial boy. The Wildlife Monday at eleven on seven hundred W l W. There's something very dangerous in your home. It could be hiding in a closet or waiting in the basement. It's not sharp or toxic or flammable. It helps send more people to the trauma Center than any other household item.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm doing me a favor and hold the ladder for me. I have a better idea. Let's just call somebody to clean the gutters, to scoop out a few leaves. I'll be down in a heartbeat.
Speaker 26: Wall Using a ladder might seem easy, Misusing one is even easier. Ask any of the one hundred and fifty thousand people who fell off their ladders into the Trauma Center last year alone. Don't let it do it yourself project, do yourself in. For tips on ladder safety, visit orthoinfo dot org. A public service message from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons who want to keep your bones safe, strong and well connected.
Speaker 1: Rain today, a winter remixeszy.
Speaker 35: Caverns, kinds, sharons time and.
Speaker 1: And let's go to brother Rick Green on a Saturday morning. Try to be positive wherever possible on this program. And one of the ways in which we do that is by bringing you the Word of God Bible verse and something to think about. Brother Rick.
Speaker 22: Good morning, Hey, good morning Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 16: I woke up praying for you and your listeners.
Speaker 13: I need it.
Speaker 16: I'm having an awesome day. Me and God have been talking all morning.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, see that that's the thing. Maybe this just gets in the way of me talking to God because I have to talk to everybody else.
Speaker 16: I'm sure you find your time, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, Yes sir during the commercial breaks for sure. What have you got for us?
Speaker 16: Rick?
Speaker 3: Today? We're coming from First Peter chapter three, verse eight. It says, finally, all of you be like minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be campassionate, and humble.
Speaker 7: Amen.
Speaker 16: Amen, indeed those are from awesome qualities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the patients and the humility are the tough ones, probably for most people.
Speaker 16: We need to find time to work on them, Garrett.
Speaker 1: Yes sir, Yes, sir. I had one for you too, And it's something else to think about. Since we're we're gonna be dipping down into below zero temperatures, it's going to be tough for a lot of people. And I can't imagine the people that you minister too that are outside. But this is from Romans five three four. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character hope.
Speaker 22: Amen.
Speaker 1: I hope it warms up real soon.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 14: Death.
Speaker 3: I'm praying for all of those that have no work to go. It's all breaking, yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It is all right, Rick, you keep up the good work in the Lord's work and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 16: All right, all right, you all have a blessed back.
Speaker 1: You got it. Eight seventeen. Our friend Dave Hatter will join us in just a few this morning at nine.
Speaker 25: Mike Allen goes where other hosts dare not tread and on not talking about the men's room on seven hundred w welw.
Speaker 1: Very often on my Nightcap program. And then you see him and hear him all over town from Intrust our tech guide as he says, the foil hat guy Doomsday. Dave Hatter joins us for a few minutes on this Saturday morning to talk some stuff to look out for in the world of cyberspace. Well, David's finally come. According to the Supreme Court, the law can stand. TikTok goes dark tomorrow. Just an any final thoughts on this Chinese spy app that apparently has been also the source of some great income for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has Gary, Jeff and I bet you know. Well, I'm about to say next with is to TikTok, don't let the door hit you with a good lord, splitchet brother can't be gone soon enough for my money. And you know I'm generally against this kind of regulation, but you nailed it's it's PRC spyware badly. Now we've got this red note thing that's kind of taking its place, which is the same thing, right essentially. I mean, I don't know exactly what the inner workings are because it's so new there's been very little study of it. But you know, a good indication would be it's controlled by the PRC, just like TikTok is, so it's you know, potentially subject to all the same flaws. And then you know, the whole thing is in Mandarin Chinese. You can't even read the terms of service, so that ought to be a strong indication that it's probably not a good thing to put on your phone.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing that I wondered about the law. Is the law just speccifically TikTok. Were they that blindsided? Because any other app that, as you said, is owned basically by the People's Republic of China. The Communist Chinese Party is going to do exactly the same thing. Wouldn't Red Note be included in that law and shouldn't have there been?
Speaker 4: Well, as I understand it, carriage Yet, I think that's a good question, as I understand that the law fans or at least has the capability to ban any app that's owned by a foreign power. So in theory, red Note and some of the other Chinese controlled apps that have picked up the slack for TikTok in the past few days, as this has been imminent, I think would fall. You know, I'm not an attorney. I took a look at what it says. I believe they would all be subject to it too. But you know, this is one of the things that makes all of this so tricky is you know, overnight something becomes popular, right, These things are overnight sensations.
Speaker 14: Until early last.
Speaker 4: Week, I'd never even heard of Red Note neither, right. I just it sort of came out in as people started to say, well, Okay, if I can't use TikTok, I'm going to go to one of these other things. And apparently people and I think this is suspicious, people on TikTok influencers quote unquote, it's got I'm telling people will go to red note is that because of the very thing that you and I and others have warned about on TikTok forever, that it's basically a CCP spyware and it's all about persuasion and propaganda. The data piece is really nowhere near as critical. And is it, you know, an influence campaign through the PRC to get people to go to.
Speaker 14: This other app?
Speaker 4: Probably, But as far as the law goes, you know, I would hope this thing would come under scrutiny as well, and you know it will. It will go away too.
Speaker 14: But again, these.
Speaker 4: Things move so fast now, and when you get millions of people on a given platform saying okay, fine, then go to this one, you know it's going to be a difficult challenge to stay ahead of this until Americans wake up and realize, Hey, when the PRC patents technology to cut your undersea cables, when they infiltrate your telecom networks, when your own government tells you that you have to use in end encryption to protect yourself from them, and that they can you hack your infrastructure and take your grid down, and so forth with a whim I mean, I encourage people go watch the sixty minutes interview with Christopher Ray on that topic. It's hard for me to understand how people would say, Hmm, I think I want to give my data to these folks. I think I want to use their propaganda spiralight, and I think I want to buy stuff from it. I don't. It's hard for me to grasp honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have no doubt about it. What I mean, why can't TikTok users just use the other platform? Why can't they use Instagram reels for example, or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Well they can. And you know, people will always argue with me, Well, you say you don't like meta they have all the same problems Google, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And they do.
Speaker 4: They do have many of the same problems. But at least they're American companies collecting your data. And yes, I know they sell your data to data brokers who might end up selling it to the PRC too, But they're not subversive adversarial nations trying to propit and dies you with anti Western and pro CCP narratives. You know, it's a different threat level. We wouldn't have let the Soviets put a device in your house during the Cold War that could listen to you and talk to you and propagandize you. At least I don't think we would have. And this is really no different except the capabilities are much more advanced and it knows everything about you. Go look at the TikTok privacy label and the Apple app store. It literally collects everything off your phone. There's nothing it doesn't collect. So yeah, I just hope people boycott Gary Jeff. And that's why I always appreciate chatting with you about this. Is hopefully people will say, you know, Dave sounds kind of crazy. Maybe I should look into this myself. And then when you see many, many, many credible sources who have for years been warrying not only about the data issue with your data going to China, but the propaganda and the persuasion issue and the spyware issue, I'm hoping people will wake up and realize, Hey, I not only don't want TikTok, I don't want to TAU, I don't want to use RED, I don't want to use any of that stuff. Why would I want to help our adversaries?
Speaker 1: Well, you know it's I don't think you sound crazy at all, but I once dated a girl with Tourette syndrome. So Dave, Dave Patter, have a wonderful, wonderful rest of the day and weekend, and for gosh sakes, stay warm with the blow zeros coming up.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Gary, Jeff, always my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Look forward to chat with Look forward chat with you soon too. Good morning kids, Time for gifts from Wally. Snow emergency. Michael and his wife live in Minnesota. One winter morning, eating breakfast listening to the radio, they hear the announcers say, we're gonna have eight to ten inches of snow today. Please park your car on the even numbered side of the street so the snowplows can get through. Michael's wife gets up, goes out, and moves her car. A week later, they're eating breakfast again, the announcer says, we're expecting ten to twelve inches of snow today. Please park your car on the odd numbered side of the street so the snowplows can get through. Once again, Michael's wife gets out and moves her car again. The next week, they're having breakfast, the announcer says, we're expecting twelve to fourteen inches of snow today. Please park and the power goes out. Michael's wife is very upset, a worried look on her face. She says, Honey, I don't know what to do. Which side of the street do I need to park on so the plow can get through and with all the love and understanding Michael can muster. He says to his pretty blonde wife, Honey, why don't you just leave it in the garage this time? Jee the fifty fourth birthday of Jonathan Davis from Corn They like to scream like that a lot. Actually a pretty good treatment of the pink Floyd on you decide. It's eight forty one on seven hundred WLW. Time to talk to our friend Moe Egger, who's very busy again at fifth third Arena today the Arizona State coming in town to face the UC Bearcatz. Hey, Mow, what's going on? That's why I talk to you to find out what's going on? So what's going on? You got Arizona State coming in?
Speaker 17: What?
Speaker 1: What kind of program has Arizona State got this year? In hoops? In the Big twelve?
Speaker 14: One that has the exact same Big twelve record as Cincinnati one in four three consecutive losses. Cincinnati is a big favorite today at home, at least big relative to the Big Twelve and their recent struggles. I think last night the point spread climbs to ten points. I haven't seen where it is this morning. UC's got to win their home games, you know. I mean that sounds obvious, and when you are where they are in the least, They've got to win games, no matter the venue. But you know, the thing that kind of sunk them last year and the reason why as we got to late February and early March we weren't really talking about them in relation to the NCBA tournament was they went seven and eleven in the league, and that was on the shoulders of a four and five home record in the league. And they didn't lose a game by more than nine points, and they lost a lot of close games, lost in games of teams they should have beaten. What have they done so far this year? They've lost their first two Big Twelve home games, including last week's ghastly forty point performance against Kansas. So the next two games are at home. They are coming off of victory the other night against Colorado, one in which they didn't necessarily execute any better offensively, but still found a way to win on the road. If this team is gonna even entertain making the NCAA Tournament, I think they have to win their next two and they're gonna have to win the overwhelming majority of the remaining home games in order to have a chance. So that obviously has to start today.
Speaker 1: And obviously you're happy that the game is inside, as most as most college basketball games always are. But yeah, this is not a And I bring this up, mo, because we're gonna have this like life threatening cold here the next few days. And I'm not a fan. I don't know who is exactly. You know, you know the joke about the little polar bear. Ask his mother, am I Am I really a polar bear? She said, well, your father's a polar bear. I'm a polar bear. Yeah, you're a polar bear. Go ask your dad if you're a polar bear. And he asked his father and he says, listen, I'm a polar bear. Your mom's a polar bear. You're obviously a polar bear. Why do you ask me this, son, he said, because it's freaking cold out here. What is what is the coldest you've ever been at a sporting event in your life.
Speaker 14: The AFC Championship game in Kansas City two years ago, the one that the Bengals lost, which what was remarkable about it was, you know, we had looked at the forecast and seen that it was going to be insanely cold, like they were talking about the coldest day in Kansas City in forty years. The night before, on Saturday night in Kansas City, people were walking around in shorts. It was, you know, during the day, the lower sixties, you know, dropped down to probably the high forties, mid forties on Saturday night, but you know, not unbearable by any stretch. And the next day we woke up and I remember walking across the street from the hotel to get a cup of coffee and feeling this blast of cold, unlike anything I had ever experienced. It was amazing. And then the game itself. You know, they had a game in Kansas City last year against the Miami Dolphins, which was actually worse that though, is the coldest I have and you know, we planned for it, dressed for it, you know, we were smart about it. But standing there for close to four hours, I've never experienced anything like that. And a close second would be. The Bengals played a playoff game against the Jets at the end of the two thousand and nine season, lost twenty four to fourteen, and it was insanely cold that day as well. That's the first time I'd ever seen people they were still selling beer in plastic bottles that I saw people buy beer, put it down, and within just a few minutes the beer had turned a slush that was miserable, and both sporting events made slightly more miserable by the fact that the team I wanted to win do not.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, what always confounds me mo is watching a game in cold weather and bitterly cold web like no, no one should be outside, much less outside for three or four hours, and the people with their shirts off to prove the they're tough. What what is that all about? What is that mentality? Do you know somebody like that? And and what do you if you're a good friend, what would you tell them?
Speaker 14: I would tell him he should have been cut off five or six years ago, because that's that's my assumption. Like nobody does that sober, Like nobody who's bac is zero point zero zero says you know what I'm gonna do? Now take my shirt off. It's frigid. We're in the single digits. Wind shows are below zero, and and without any sort of liquid or other influence, says, I'm gonna go ahead and take my shirt off. And and like, what are the people around him supposed to say, like, wow, man, that's awesome. Like nobody's gonna be impressed, nobody's gonna think, man, that's really cool. Uh. And So I always assume when when people are doing that, that that they've been getting after it for a while and they're making poor choices because of it.
Speaker 1: Mike Allen just came in here, he's coming in for a show after we're done, and he just said, what did you tell me your mother?
Speaker 2: What your mother was at the Freezer Bowl? I guess it was the early eighties. She certainly didn't take her shirt off, But did your mother have a pension for taking your shirt off? And published who knew? She'll strike me dead from heaven if I say that. So, Mike Allen's mom was at the Freezer Bowl. How many people have told you that they were at the Freezer Bowl and you just don't believe them.
Speaker 14: Most of them? Most of them? Yeah, you know, I joked about this on social media this week when it got really cold, because people who went to the Freezer Bowl oftentimes not all the time, but if you make the remark that man, it's really cold out, like I did this that game in Kansas City, I talked about that this is the coldest I've ever been. I don't recall specifically what the wind show was, but it was really freaking cold. And what you get in return from the person who went to the Freezer Bowl often is you don't know cold. It's like, man, freezerble wind show got down to fifty nine below all right wind chill in Kansas City. For that game, it was well below zero. There's not a real discernible difference at that point you're standing in it for three or four hours.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 14: Often roll my eyes when I start to hear a Freezer Bowl story because it usually includes an admonition if you are complaining about the current cold temperature. So this week, if you didn't go to the Freezer Bowl and you remark that it's cold and you run into someone who did, chances are you're going to get a lecture about how it's not really as cold as it was on that January Day in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: Anytime below zero, it's too cold for me. Yes, period, end of story. Let's real quickly run down the divisional playoff games this weekend. I think that Kansas City probably takes care of the Houston Texans at home today, which the game will be here on the air after you see basketball it's done. I think they take care of them. But I think it's pretty much the way Kansas City is one all year long. It will be close, but at the end, Kansas City will make the plays and the Texans will not. Your take on that, that is my.
Speaker 14: Guess as well. But I think there's two interesting dynamics I'm I'm curious about. One is the main guys on the Chiefs haven't played in three and a half weeks, you know, since Christmas, which feels like forever ago. So what impact positive or negative does that have on their performance? And look, they so fifteen and two and deserve a lot of credit because as you know, they've often played kind of unevenly this year, and as you've watched them, you've wondered, like, once's it going to catch up to them? I don't think it's going to catch up to them today, but I wonder if it does. I assume Kansas City is going to advance, but they don't blow people out. They did blow the Steelers out in that that that game on Christmas, I think was more of a reflection of the Steelers kind of being in free fall. So I don't I don't expect a blowout today. But the Chiefs have made the right places at the right time in the fourth quarter all season long, and I'll assume they will again today.
Speaker 1: Breaking away from that that storyline, just for a moment, you mentioned the Steelers saw a report that Russell Wilson really wants to come back next year. Is the Steelers quarterback? Do the Steelers want Russell Wilson back? I want him back.
Speaker 14: I want him back in Pittsburgh. I think Mike Tomlin and Russell Wilson are a new version of Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton, which there's some good to that, right. They playoffs every year, Mike Tomlins never had a losing record, Russell Wilson has had a terrific career. I don't think that combination is gonna win a championship and so so I think they're kind of in quarterback purgatory because if you're a Steelers fan and you say, no, I don't want Russell Wilson, awesome what else you got? You know? But if you have Russell Wilson, you know, relative to some of the qbs in your own division and in your conference, it feels like your ceiling is an organization is pretty low.
Speaker 1: The Lions handled the count the Commanders tonight.
Speaker 29: I think it's an interesting game because Detroit's got a lot of injuries now and defensively, they were terrific in their last game against the Minnesota Vikings, but they weren't great all season long.
Speaker 14: You know, the Commanders are kind of in this house money, you know deal where they go on the road and win last week, come back against the Bucks. They won twelve games this season. It's been an uber successful year. But the Lions are the one seed for a reason. They were the best team in the NFC. They can come at you in a thousand different ways on offense, and so Detroit's heavily favored for a reason.
Speaker 1: All Right, NFL tomorrow, as the divisional playlayoffs continue, We've got the Eagles playing the Rams. The Eagles come out victorious or the Rams surprise somebody else.
Speaker 14: I think this is the game that is most difficult for us to wrap our brains around, because offensively from Philly, what do we get. What impact is the weather going to have on the game? And the Rams. I think you and I talked about this that the Rams. You know, what you don't think of when you think of the LA Rams is grind it out December January football. And yet that's kind of how they've played here. They have an experienced quarterback, a great coach. I think if you were to say I got to pick one road team to win this weekend, I know the Ravens are favored on the road against Buffalo, I think I would pick LA. At the same time, what the Eagles can do controlling the clock, controlling the football with Saquon Barkley and Jalen Hurts is really something. But I didn't walk away from their game against Green Bay uber impressed by what I saw from Philadelphia, and I did walk away from LA's neutral site game against Minnesota pretty impressed by what the Rams did. And so I think this is the game that's most difficult to pick, and I think it's the game that's frankly most interesting this weekend, despite the fact that we have the two leading candidates to be MVP playing in the micat let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about that game. It's in Buffalo, and that always seems to me to give the Bills the edge, except maybe this time.
Speaker 14: Well, not in the playoffs last year against Kansas City, and not in the postseason two years ago against the Cincinnati Bengals, And so I think there's a fair amount of pressure on the Buffalo Bills to rectify that win this game. You know, Baltimore and Buffalo played Week four and it wasn't close and Josh Allen wasn't very good.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 14: At the same time, Lamar Jackson's playoffs track record is checkered at best. They played from ahead last week against the Steelers, jumped out to a twenty one nothing league Derrick Henry was awesome. Buffalo's defense was porous for much of the season.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 14: The Ravens are favored for a reason, but there is the playoff history of Lamar Jackson that looms over this game. I'm going to guess Buffalo wins, but I believe, and I know you're not gonna like to hear this. I believe the AFC champion comes out of this game tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see. The thing is unlike other fans of some teams, I don't live and die with everything that Kansas City Chiefs do or don't do. I just appreciate them and follow them as my chosen team, regardless of the outcomes. However, a three peat is still possible, and I'd like to see it just for historical reasons.
Speaker 14: Three peat is definitely possible and would be a remarkable feat as much as folks listenings and probably don't want to admit that.
Speaker 1: All right, well listen, you keep your remarkable feet as warm as possible, and we'll talk to you on the other side.
Speaker 14: Right, you got it, man, Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yep Moegar who will be with the UC Bearcats today on the broadcast against Arizona State this afternoon. Our coverage begins at one point thirty Mike Allen, Saturday midday, Round the Bend. Next at nine o'clock, counselor how are you?
Speaker 16: I'm good?
Speaker 1: How about you doing fine? Good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Tell me about what's on your on your dock. Oh we got it all chock full of good stuff.
Speaker 2: Going to talk about the three ring circus that was the confirmation hearings this week, and we're going to feature the head clown, crazy Mazy Herono from Hawaii.
Speaker 1: He's unbelievable, you know.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden, we're going to talk about him giving the country the finger on his way out the door. Also, want to spend some time on Moss renigging on the peace steal.
Speaker 1: After one day, I know it's back on the guys. Yeah, but just wait.
Speaker 2: Also going to talk to Orlando Samsa. He's going to be at the inaugural. I don't know how putting it inside is going to affect him. I hope he still gets to go. Also, finally, you want to talk to Steve good In, legal analyst about the legal roadblocks to Trump overturning Biden's DOJ cases and his executive orders.
Speaker 1: They're throwing some roadblocks up on that stuff. Well, I mean the roadblocks are you know, they'll be the Democrats have a whole army of lawyers, right, you know, ready to sue Trump for whatever executive order he signs, and he's going to sign about one hundred of them. That's what Monday afternoon and Tuesday that his penhand is going to be cramping you know what good for him. Man, We've been waiting a long time for it. Last day to get out of the house. It'll be a little sloppy, but after the show show it huddles.
Speaker 14: Today.
Speaker 1: We'll see you there hopefully Saturday midday. Mike Allen coming up next on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 39: Did you know that running a dumpster for a remodeling or downsizing project isn't hard to do? Don't get stuck at home with a pile of junk called driveway dumpsters, and we'll take care of you. Don't hang on to what you don't need called driveway dumpsters. At five point one three six hundred and twenty six three seven.
Speaker 33: Here in the forecast on the way to ours Saturday morning, it's rain. We'll see steady temperatures and a temp of