Speaker 1: So welcome to a very special edition of The Path Went Chili. We're going to do something a little different from the normal. We've given Ashley a little break because we're going to be talking about a salt case, but it's a very complicated and shocking one, so we have a lot to talk about and I'll be sharing the details with Jewels and getting her live reaction. So hilariously enough, last month, I had an idea pop into my head. They had just released a new documentary on HBO Max about the Austin yogurt shop murders from nineteen ninety one, and I had covered it on The Trail Went Cold two years ago, did a long two part episode. So I was thinking, we need to tackle this on The Path Went Chilly because we can maybe get three four episodes talking about this, and then all of a sudden, it wound up being solved. So that changed everything. So instead of following our usual format where we talk about with Ashley, we're going to spend a couple episodes where I share the details with Jewles and she will give off her reactions. So, Jules, I know you told me before that you haven't watched the recent documentary, but how familiar are you with the case in general?
Speaker 2: So I think I listened to like a true crime garage or perhaps your episodes on the Trail went cold years ago. I purposefully didn't listen to the documentary when you discussed maybe we would tackle this together and you would tell me the details, and I didn't read anything on how the case was solved or any of that, because I wanted to be as fresh as I could possibly be, so everything would be new and I would be surprised by the details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. Like this is considered to be one of the more infamous homicides of the modern era. It's just so horrible on so many levels, and it also has a wrongful conviction and a lot of people's lives were ruined by this, and it's so surreal after nearly thirty four years to finally get a concrete resolution. But there are still a lot of unanswered questions to this case. It takes place in Austin, Texas in nineteen ninety one, on the evening of December sixth. Took place at a shop called I Can't Believe It's Yogurt, which was a frozen yogurt establishment located at a strip mall called the Hillside Center, and at around eleven forty seven pm, a patrolman from the Austin Police Department noticed that there was a fire inside the yogurt shop and called for assistance. It looked like it was closed, so they didn't think anyone would be in there, but when they arrived, they noticed the shop's lights were off, the closed sign was facing outward, and the front door was locked, but oddly, a key was still inside the lock on the inside, so the firefighters used a crowbar to bust open the door and entered the back room, and then they discovered that there was a small fire burning in there, so they were able to extinguish the flames relatively quickly and initially just looked like a routine fire, but then they were horrified to discover that there were four dead bodies lying in the area, and even more tragically, they all belonged to teenage girls. One of them was seventeen year old Eliza Thomas, seventeen year old Jennifer Harveson, her younger fifteen year old sister, Sarah Harveson, and Sarah's thirteen year old best friend, Amy Ayres, and Eliza. Jennifer and Sarah's bodies were all stacked on top of each other, and they were burned so badly that they could not be recognized. They had to be identified via dental records, and Amy's body was located a few feet away from the pile. It's possible she may have actually still been alive when the killer left, and then crawled a little bit before she passed away right before the firefighter showed up. But everyone was totally shell shocked when they realized that four girls have been murdered in there.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine that everybody's worst nightmare for first responders to walk in there. You don't think that you're going to see dead bodies, but I'm sure that they've been used to it, and they've seen it under certain circumstances. Maybe one dead body. But when you have four kids, like they're teenagers, they're kids, to see that, how traumatic that would be and to know what a loss to the community this is going to be. This is going to reverberate outwards everybody at their high school, their families, their friends, their loved ones. This is going to be felt so deeply by everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I've watched the documentary series. I've read a number of books about this, It's been featured on a number of true crime shows like forty eight Hours, and I can't think of many more examples of a crime that totally devastated the community. I mean, I know Austin is not a small town. It's the capital city in Texas. It's used to having crimes, but never anything of this magnitude. And it was especially tragic for the parents, Mike and Barbara Harbison. They had since gotten divorced, but they had still close relationships with their daughters, and Sarah and Jennifer were their only children and they had to lose both of them in one night. What's extra tragic is that the only employees at the yogre shop were Eliza and Jennifer, but Amy was planning a sleepover with the Harbisons, so they had been spending the night hanging out. I know that Sarah and Amy have been dropped off at a mall and then Jennifer picked them up at nine o'clock and then took them back to the ogre chop and say, after we're done closing, you can help me out and then I'll drive you back home for the sleepover. So these two youngest girls were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. They weren't even supposed to be there and just happened to get murdered because they were working alongside Jennifer and Eliza.
Speaker 2: The timing of it is just it's shocking right to think that if they'd made a different decision like how, things would have turned out differently. And it's one of those arguments where people say, oh, things happen for a reason, and you think, what could be the reason that four teenage girls would end up being murdered, And then you have two people that aren't two of them that aren't even supposed to be there. So the Harvestins have such an incredible loss here, to have two daughters struck down in such a horrific way, to have their bodies burned, to not be able to do I mean, I don't know what they did as far as a funeral, but I would think when the bodies are burned like that, it would be very difficult to do an open casket. And for a lot of people that need to say goodbye and that need to be able to see their loved one that one last time in their coffin that would have been taken away from them, and that is truly sad if that was the path that they were going to be taking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did have a massive funeral, and of course Yad had to be a closed casket because they were burned so badly. But it drew over one thousand people, a lot of them who were strangers who didn't even know the girls because it was such a devastating crime that affected the entire community. And like, these were all considered to be very good girls. They excelled academically, they had a lot of hobbies, they never caused any trouble. And it'll be a sharp contrast because as we're going to talk about, four people would later be arrested in charge with their murders who were the polar opposite. They were kind of considered to be juvenile delinquents who did not do very well in school and were known for causing trouble. But everyone said, like, why these four girls. It's just like they never harmed anyone, and it's been suspected. Maybe we will probably never know the motive for this crime. That there were signs that it was a robbery because some money was taken from the till, and it's possible that whoever did it was only expecting two employees to be in there and then was just completely thrown off when they discovered two additional girls who are just hanging out in the back, and that might have just caused them to lose it and commit this quadruple murder. So they discovered that all four girls have been shot in the back of the head, execute style with a twenty two caliber weapon. Like I said, Amy's body was found a few feet away from the others, and even though she was also shot in the head with a twenty two caliber weapon, it turned out she had a second gun shot wound from a three eighty automatic cold pistol, possibly because the bullet from the first shot missed her brain. And it also turned out that she had a cloth ligature around her neck to suggest that someone attempted to strangle her. So it was just major overkill, and they're guessing that maybe Amy just took a long time to die and that's why there were multiple bullets fired into her and she was also strangled. It's been theorized, like I said, that she may have and still been alive when the firefighters first arrived at the scene and tried to crawl away from the rest of the victims, but passed away before the fire was put out. And even what's more horrific is that all victims had their clothing remove, likely after being ordered to undress a gunpoint, and some other articles of clothing were found neatly stacked on the floor near the bodies, but other articles were used to bite and gag the victims. And it would turn out that at least some of the girls, though not all of them, have been raped. So at the outset, they suspected that there were two perpetrators involved in this crime, just because it would have been very difficult to handle all four girls, and also the fact that two separate guns were used to fire the shots.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that that would be a pretty logical deduction. Since you have two guns. How many perpetrators will come to commit a crime and bring two guns with them, So I would think that, yeah, that would make sense, especially when you have, like you said, four victims. How would you control those other victims? I guess it is possible, right if you think of a scenario where you have a gun and you're leveraging the relationships of these girls with each other. So you're saying, if you run or you do something, I'm going to shoot her in the head. And they're all going to be petrified, and they don't want their friends to get hurt or sister to get hurt. So I would think it would be pretty easy to control these girls based on their relationships, even if you had a solo perpetrator who was in the middle of a rate. If he's raping, say one of the sisters or the best friend, then you're not going to have somebody making a rash decision like to try to run away if they think that that's going to get that person killed. So it is possible, but I can see how they jump to their had to have been at least two perpetrators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm thinking that even if there was only one perpetrator, that these girls are going to be terrified. And like you said, even though if all four of them fought back, they might be able to overpower him, it would be very difficult to do so without at least one of them getting hurt. So I'm thinking they're probably thinking to themselves, even if I fight back, there's a good chance my sister or one of my friends will be shot, so let's just do what they say and hopefully we'll get out of this alive. But unfortunately that turned out not to be the case.
Speaker 2: And you said that they were bound with items of their clothing, so it makes it a lot more difficult. Say, if this individual or individuals wanted to rob the place and rape the victims. If you have these girls, they've undressed and you've bound them and say, I don't know how their arms and legs are tied, it would make escape very very difficult, would it not?
Speaker 1: It would. Yes, we don't know the exact series of events how they played out, but the store was scheduled to close at eleven o'clock, and of course the patrol officer didn't notice the fire until eleven forty seven pm, and when the fire marshal came to the scene, he suspected that the fire was originally started at eleven forty two. So this was a pretty protracted thing, Like it's possible the perpetrator could have been in there for as long as forty five minutes or so, so they took their time what they were doing and probably used a lot of fear to control these girls. Yeah, that makes sense, so I mentioned that the keys to the front door were found in the lock. So it was speculated that the girl ros were planning to close, and that whoever the killer was may have been the last customer or customers inside the store. But they also saw that the shop's back door was broken. They couldn't determine at the time whether the perpetrator had broken and through the back or broke the door when they left, but they suspected that they fled the scene through the back door when they were finished. The cash register was empty, and an automate later showed that five hundred and forty dollars was missing from the register, which seemed to point to robbery being the motive, But surprisingly, an open bank bag containing additional money was left behind under the register. Ivy never disclosed how much money was in this bag. I don't know if it was a lot, but it's possible maybe the killer didn't even notice it, or maybe they just wanted to kill someone and the money was of secondary importance. The register's log showed that someone had used the no sale button to open the till at eleven oh three pm, three minutes after closing time, and an unopened coke can in an empty st irofoam cup were found next to the register, so this led to speculation that whoever this was was the last customer in the store before closing may have gone to the counter to buy a coke, but then suddenly pulled out a gun and forced Jennifer or alies it empty the register and then forced all four of the girls into the back room in order to kill them.
Speaker 2: I wonder what order it happened in, Like, there is a potential that say, this individual pulled out a gun and threatened to whomever was out the cash register and said, you know, I'm going to rob the place, and before actually getting the money from the cash register, got the girls into the back and ended up having them stripped down and committed the rapes and then went to the cash register. Because if you're in a hurry after you've done that and maybe you started the fire, maybe you've got all these things already in motion, and you're in a huge rush trying to get everything done, you might overlook something like a bank bag. But I feel like if you did that first, you would be a little more methodical and a little more organized, because you're not going to be operating under the gun in such a way that you would be after you've already taken all the time to get them undressed and to rape one or more of the girls, and then then you go to rob do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why I've suspected that maybe they were just thrown off when they discovered that two additional girls were in there, Sarah and Amy, that they may have just thought, there are two employees working here, I can handle them all on my own. I'm going to commit this robbery. And then he probably would not have seen Sarah and Amy from the front of the store. And then when Jennifer and Eliza were forced into the back and they noticed two additional girls there, that might have like caused them to freak out. Maybe they lost control because they weren't expecting these additional witnesses, and that's why they decided to just go so overboard with raping them, tying them up, killing them, and then setting them on fire.
Speaker 2: It just makes you wonder what was the primary motive? Was the primary motive to sexually assault two girls that they could begets the perpetrator. Perpetrators likely thought that there's just the two girls there, so was that the primary motivation and the robbery was secondary, or robbery the primary motivation and the rape was secondary.
Speaker 1: Well we'll talk more about this later, but when you find out the background of the person who's been identified as the perpetrator of this crime, I have a feeling it was probably the sexual assault and that they just wanted to perform a thrill kill and that the robbery was secondary. So the artist investigator would come to the scene and believe that the fire had been started on some steel shelves located on a corner in the storage room because it contained a bunch of combustible items like styrofoam cups, so when they set them on fire, that caused this fire to spread really quickly and cause them to burn so badly. But unfortunately, this would be a recurring theme here. Some of the key pieces of evidence would go missing over the years, such as the metal shelves, then the ladder that have been used on there, and also the broken lock from the back door also went missing, even though it could have contained fingerprints or the killer's DNA. And this is not anyone's fault, but unfortunately, because the firefighters when they instantly went in there, they had to use the water to put the fire out and didn't even realize at the time that there were four bodies under there, And of course this could have also compromised potential forensic evidence. I mean, you can't blame the firefighters. Obviously they have to put the fire out immediately, but I'm sure it was so frustrating to know that they could have compromised a crime scene.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that this happens all the time because their primary focus is to put out the fire and to hopefully save whomever is in there, and they're not thinking first thought, like I've got to preserve this potential crime scene. They're just there to do their job. And once they realize that i'm sure everybody there is de ceased, then their focus will switch right and there will be to preserve the scene and to get investigators in there as quickly as possible. But in those first moments, when you know they just want to put out the fire, they don't know that there's four bodies. I'm sure that there was a huge amount of destruction of evidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as we're going to talk about, like this would eventually get solved with DNA testing, but because of all the water. Some of the DNA samples weren't complete. It was only like a partial profile. And I'm sure this probably had a lot to do with the fact that fire and water was used over the bodies. So what makes a story even sadder is that throughout the course of the evening some of the girl's parents would even stop by the store before closing, just to check on their daughters and just everything seemed completely normal at the time. I know that Eliza's mother, Maria stopped by it around nine point thirty and said that everything was fine, and that Eliza's father stopped by at a different time, and nobody saw anything out of the ordinary. And of course, by today's perspective, it probably seemed shocking that these two seventeen year old girls were working alone to close a store in like a downtown area. And I'm sure you're going to ask this, but no, there were no security cameras there, so they didn't get any footage of the crime. And later on, the victims' families would actually file a lawsuit against the yogurt shop's parent company, Bryce Foods, as well as the property Morrison Properties, who owned the Hillside Center Strip mall, because it turned out there had been some robberies at some of the other shops at the malls in the months prior to the yogurt shop murders, and I don't think any of the families knew about that, And they're saying to themselves, if we had known that there was crime going on here, robberies, we never would have allowed these two teenage girls to close this shop by their own and they would after they filed the lawsuit. The two sides would reach a twelve million dollar settlement. But the good news is that the families would use the money to start a nonprofit organization about crime prevention and workplace safety, which was called We Will Not Forget SAJE, which was the first name initials of the four victims. And of course this would use this would be used to help implement a lot of new safety procedures to protect workers who had to work in this environment. So if there's a silver lining to this whole case, at least the families used the lawsuit money they earned to do some good.
Speaker 2: That's amazing when you hear that families are able to have the wherewithal to come together and to have this and to be united with this goal to not have other families have to deal with the tragedy that they did, because I feel like, on a level, this could have been preventable. I mean it's very nineteen ninety one. I mean, even a shop that's called I can't believe it's yogurt is very nineteen ninety one. Do you remember, like how big frozen yogurt was in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, yes. I don't know if they ever had I can't believe it's yogurt in Canada because I don't remember ever seeing it, but apparently it was huge in the US during this time period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I get that. But when you know that there's robberies and you would expect that the stores within that strip mall are that mall, that they would respond accordingly and that they would do with everything that they could to keep their employees safe. Particularly when you're dealing with teenage girls or underage employees, you want to have those security measures in place. So I definitely understand why the families were awarded that twelve million.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of old cold cases we cover, where we see people the victims doing dangerous things like working alone at a convenience store at night without any security cameras, and you're like, this would never happen today, But it was just kind of a signed at the times. So the investigators tried to check all the known customers visited the yogurt shot throughout the course of the night, tried to account for as many as possible. There were a couple who couldn't be identified who were picked out by other customers, Like there were a pair of teenage boys who were in there between eight fifteen and eight thirty who had long on camp hare seemed to be staring at their girls a lot. Sometime between nine thirty and ten, there was like a guy who was described as being in his twenties, as a fidgety young man who went into the bathroom for a while. And I know that one of the customers got a weird feeling about the guy, so he decided to wait around for a few minutes after ordering his yogurt, but wound up leaving before the young man emerged from the back. But the most intriguing lead was provided by a couple named Tim Striker and Margaret Shean, who bought some yogurt at ten forty two pm, eighteen minutes before closing, and they noticed two young men sitting at a table which was the closest to the register, who appeared to be in their late twenties early thirties, very generic like around five foot six, with a skinny frame and lighter brown, dirty blonde hair. But what was interesting is that when the fire department arrived an hour later, they noticed that these were the only tables in the store which did not have the chairs stacked up, which is usually what happens when you're closing up and eating establishment before closing, and it also did not have the napkin dispenser filled. So they began to theorize that because the key was in the front lock, that maybe these guys were still around at closing time, and that at around eleven they finally performed the robbery and then took the four girls into the back and then committed the murders. And they tried as hard as they could, and they could not track down or identify these guys. So for the longest time there was speculation that these may be the killers, and it just seemed to fit the scenario so perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense, especially when you got eyewitnesses Striker and Shean, those are very memorable last games. Yep, you've got them identifying two young guys, pretty generic looking, sitting at a table. And then that same table doesn't have the napkin dispenser filled and there isn't chairs that are stacked there. So it's pretty easy to theorize that there's a potential that they could be involved in what happened because the girls weren't able to clean up that area.
Speaker 1: And just the fact that this got such massive publicity in Austin and they said, if you were in the Yogret shop that night, please come forward so we can account for your whereabouts. And the fact that these two young men didn't, even though they were the last ones known to have been in the store before closing, seemed to speak volumes that either they don't want to get involved where they're the killers. So the investigation initially was headed up by a veteran Austin police detective named John Jones. And this is a case where you're going to see the best and the worst of police work, and John Jones actually represents the best. Ironically enough, he was actually filming like a ride along on the night of the murders where he invited a camera crew from a TV station to watch him on duty. It was kind of going to be like an episode of Cops. He thought it was just going to be a routine night, and he got like a radio call that there's a fire at a yogret shop, and he said, well, let's go over and see what happens. They just expected to be like a routine fire, and the camera crew just had no idea that when we walk in there, we're going to find four bodies and find yourself right in the middle of one of the worst homicides of the nineteen nineties. So they still have some of the original footage from Jones's ride along in the documentary and on the forty eight Hours episodes, because this camera crew did not know that they were going to be a part of history and have to witness one of the worst crimes you've ever heard about.
Speaker 2: That is so wild. That just gave me like flashbacks to basically being a kid in the nineties and watching that TV show Cops when you'd hear it like the theme song, bad Boys, Bad Boys, What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I can totally understand why they were filming that because Cops was huge in the early nineties, so they were doing their own version of Austin. But of course, usually on the TV show Cops, you never saw quadruple homicides.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. And I'm sure when you get the call and it's like, oh, there's a fire at a yogurt shop, you think this is pretty benign. It's probably like an electrical issue or something. Nobody, I'm sure on that crew would have thought that there's even a small possibility that there's somebody there who's murdered, let alone for teenage girls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was going to talk about like this case gave a lot of people post traumatic stress disorder, and unfortunately one of them was John Jones. He's always been very passionate about this case. Even though he is long retired, he still appears on TV shows about it. He appeared in the documentary on HBO Max. He pretty much made a vow that I'm going to solve this case no matter what. He became close friends with the victims' families, kept them informed at every opportunity. But unfortunately, because he was working on it so passionately, like I said, he started to develop PTSD, he started to develop depression and it deprived him from being around his own family because he was married, he had kids of his own, but because he was working on it so hard, he barely saw them anymore, and it eventually ended with him being divorced, and a couple of years later, unfortunately, he would be moved off the investigation transferred to another division, and he pretty much said that at the time, this was the best thing for my mental health. But he's always felt guilty about it because unfortunately, once he left the investigation, it started getting screwed up in a huge way. And if he had been on it the entire time, I think things would have turned out differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally get that, But I can understand needing to balance your family life because if you're spending all of this time investigating the deaths of four girls, but you have your own living children who you're not spending time with, I can see how that would erode your relationships with not only your children, but with your spouse as well. And so you can understand why the divorce rates of cops are so high because they pour so much energy and so much of themselves into wanting to solve these cases and caring so much about the family members who are left bereft because they don't have their loved ones anymore, and that idea of wanting to get some kind of justice and even at the expense of their own relationships and their own mental health. So I think it's probably a good thing that he got transferred, because who knows what could have happened to him from a mental health perspective if he kept going down the rabbit hole. But it is unfortunate that the investigation got really screwed up after he was gone.
Speaker 1: It's true I wanted to give Jones credit because there's going to be some bad police work coming up that totally screws up this investigation. But I did want to acknowledge that the first guy who worked the case did his best job as he could, but unfortunately just was unable to solve it and had to leave the investigation for his own well being. So the first major lead would occur on December the fourteenth, eight days after the murder, when they got a tip about a sixteen year old kid named Maurice Pearce who was arrested at the North Cross Mall and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon because another kid noticed a guy sticking out of the back of his waistband and notified the police, and it turned out he was carrying a loaded twenty two caliber pistol, which was the same type of weapon used in the yogurt shop murder. So this obviously peaud the Austin Police Department's interest. So Maurice was taken into custody and arrested, and he was also accompanied by a fifteen year old friend of his named Forrest Wellborn, who just happened to be with him at the time, and they wound up being interviewed by another detective named Hector Polanco, who would turn out to be a very controversial figure. So Maurice claimed that Forrest had lent him the gun and that it had likely been used in the yogurt shop murders, and along with Forrest, Maurice implicated two other individuals, seventeen year old Robert Springsteen and seventeen year old Michael Scott, which is a name which always makes people chuckle because they think of Steve Carell's character in the Office, but this was many years before that. But like all four of these kids were known for kind of being juvenile delinquents, they dropped out of high school, for being aimless drifters who spent a lot of the time partying and drinking and smoking marijuana. But even though they committed a few petty crimes, they didn't seem to have any real history of violence. But I know that Maurice's story is that Robert Michael and Forrest had committed the murders and that he had functioned simply as the getaway driver. Maurice said that he stayed in the car the entire time, and that afterwards, after they committed the crime, they fled Austin and spent some time in San Antonio in order to avoid the authorities. Well, Hector Polanco, the guy who had interrogated Maurice and got this confession, he seemed to buy hook line and sinker. But John Jones, he was pretty skeptical because Maurice kept telling all these stories of that contraddicted each other, and when he tried to press Maurice to share in criminating details about the crime, he didn't say anything that was not already public knowledge. He did not seem to have any inside details about the yogurt shot murders, and Jones came up with the idea of putting a wire on Maurice so that he could have a secret conversation with Force Wellborn to see if maybe he revealed anything incriminating. But after listening to the secret conversation, Jones says that Forrest clearly doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. I seriously doubt that he's involved in the murders. And hey did ballistic tests on Maurice's twenty two caliber gun and compare them to the bullets in the murder scene, and the results were inconclusive. But John Jones still thought, I don't think these guys are involved in the murders. And they were technically dismissed as suspects at the time, but not completely ruled out. They were just pretty much put on the back burner. But from day one, John Jones felt, I don't believe any of these four guys are involved in the murders. But unfortunately, many years later other detectives would have a differing view.
Speaker 2: It's honestly really refreshing to hear that Jones in the nineteen nineties, a time when very few investigators seemed to believe that there was such a thing as false confessions, Like we have seen so many cases from that era where people have confessed because of things like the read technique being employed, and investigators really just didn't know. The literature wasn't there like it is today to support that false and confessions are very much a thing, and that certain personality types are more susceptible, and that sometimes detectives don't even realize when they're leading people. And the fact that Jones was able to go, yeah, these guys, they didn't do it. They don't have the information. Just because they're confessing doesn't mean that they're good for it. That is not a take that we typically hear in nineties cases.
Speaker 1: It's true, and Jones actually said that throughout his time investigating Yogurtshot murders, he said that no less than fifty people falsely confessed to it. I mean, I know this happens in high profile cases, but that is an abnormally high number. I guess there were just maybe a lot of mentally unstable people there, or people who just wanted attention or just wanted to control the police. But pretty much he had the mindset that if anyone makes a confess, I am not going to take it seriously unless I can find other corroborating evidence, and he never did. He just said that most of the people who confess, all they did was share details that had already been leaked to the public. But unfortunately, as we're going to talk about, there were other people in the Austin PD you had a different mindset who felt, well, some one confesses, I'm going to pin it on him no matter what, even if there is no other evidence. That is wild.
Speaker 2: Fifty people falsely confessed. You've got to wonder what type of mental health issues these people were contending with. It just gives me like that vibe of the John Benay case with John Mark Carr and all of these other people who supposedly confess to people that they knew in their lives, and there's just so many interesting suspects in that case. And I just I can't understand what the motivation would be other than you're dealing with a mental health crisis, unless somebody thinks that they would gain some type of notoriety. But I would think that if you were trying to get notoriety from the murders of four teenage girls, there's something not right.
Speaker 1: Yes, because it's not like that's a particularly popular crime. Like you will be the most hated person in the state of Texas if you confess to murdering four children and raping them and burning their bodies. I mean, I can kind of understand people doing it inside a prison, like John Mark Carr and the John Benny Ramsey case, if they feel they have nothing left to lose and want attention. But I don't know the mindset of someone who's a free person and then just walks into the police and decides to confess to the murders of four teenage girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, if you did go to jail and you'd falsely confessed, you'd basically be in protective custody because you would be viewed as a pedophile and a rapist, So you would be on the lowest rung on the totem pol as far as inmates go. And I'm sure that because of how horrific the case was and because it was four girls, that there would be a lot of people in there who would be trying to hurt the individual who was responsible. So it does seem really wild that that many people would confess.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, so yeah, I knew that they often happen in a lot of these cases, but I can't think of too many others where fifty people did it just for one crime. So on the other side of the coin, there's the detective Hector Polanco, who had a reputation with the Austin ped for closing a lot of cases because he said he had a gift for being able to get confessions out of suspects, and as we're going to find out, a lot of these confessions turned out to be false. He even got a few confessions and the yogurt shop murders that wound up not sticking. I want to know more details about this person, but they were described as a drug dealer slash drag queen named Sean Buddha Smith, who claimed that the yoga shop murders took place because Eliza was targeted because she's supposedly ripped off two hundred dollars worth of weed from Buddha and his friends, which was one hundred percent at not true. But he then said that, oh, the only reason I confessed is because Detective Polonco lied to me and said that they had a videotape of me at the yogurt shop, so that's why I decided to confess even though there were no security cameras there. He was just kind of calling his bluff. So after he learned there were no cameras, he recanted his confession. There was another suspect named Alex Brianus who had been arrested for another murder, so he definitely was a dangerous person and claimed that the yogurt shop murders were committed alongside an accomplice and that it was a robbery gone wrong. But a story fell apart when he was asked to pick out his accomplice from a photo lineup, and it turned out he picked out a suspect who was in prison when the murders took place, so obviously he could not have done it. And the big turning point for Hector Polanco was on an unrelated case where they were trying to assault the murder of a Travis County Sheriff's deputy named William Redman, and he got a confession from a suspect named John Salazar and Bragg that he saw the case of the murder of a fellow police officer. Well, what he did know is that the real killers were confessing to a completely different investigator at the exact same time, and it turned out that Salazar was already in police custody for another crime on the night that the murder took place, so it couldn't have been him. So they started going into Polongo's background, found out that he had a history of getting false confessions from people. So he was finally removed from the yogurt chop investigation and then fired from the Austin Police Department.
Speaker 2: Wow. Sounds like at the end of the day, people who were working with him probably knew that he was aggressive in the way that he went after suspects and the way in which he like quote unquote closed cases. So maybe it was that mentality of hey, they're guilty of something, and it came down to, like, you know, we always talk about the wire juking the stats, right, Yeah, so you've got somebody who's more concerned with the percentage of cases that they're closing than they are the guilt or the innocence of the people. And the problem with putting people who are innocent behind bars is the person who is actually guilty of committing that crime is still out there on the streets. So that idea that oh, they're probably guilty of something, or this person had a pattern of recidivism or a pattern of a certain type of crimes that they were committing. It falls flat when you have the actual killer or the person who's guilty of committing whatever crime still out on the street. There's no way to justify that. And I just I don't understand that mentality, and I think it just it has to come down to people are more concerned about their careers and they probably go into law enforcement with this idealized view that they're going to make a difference. But as we know, like just the way politicians go into politics thinking that they're going to change things, and you end up compromising bits of yourself along the way in order to get the job done. And then at the end, I'm sure a lot of people look at themselves in the mirror and they're like, whow me, Like, how many deals have I had to make to get here? Am I the person that I thought that I was going to be? And can I make that type of difference? And I think it's probably no different with a lot of detectives. Not all detectives are going to be able to look at the evidence and go, oh, well, maybe this person is innocent and I should let them go. They're going to go, oh well, it could be another case that I'm closing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's pretty much his mentality. He just wanted to close all these cases. And you talked about letting the real killer get away with it, and that's how it backfired on Polanco is that he had no idea that the real killer was confessing to another police officer while he was extracting a false confession from another suspect, and that's how he got caught. I mean, Planco would not be responsible for the wrongful conviction and the yogurt shot murder's case because he was long gone when this happened years later. But he was technically the one who put these four suspects on the map, because he was the one who got Maurice Pierce to confess when they found him in the mall carrying the twenty two, to talk about how he and these three other guys committed the murders. And because their names wound up in the files, we'll find out that some different detectives will go back to them years later, and that's when they would finally build a case that was strong enough for them to be charged. That brings an end to part one of our series of the Austin Yogurt Chot Murders. Join us again next week for part two.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold? Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved miss where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jules and Nashty patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those.
Speaker 2: So we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or d rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwain. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and Chili pass Call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy