Speaker 1: Okay, we've got shooters here, shooters here. I'll tell you don't trig Hey, what's your probably?
Speaker 2: Draw it again? Draw it again? Here the ace field man. Draw it again. It's a simple diagram. Just draw it again. Draw what you saw? Draw it again, Draw it again.
Speaker 3: Two shooters.
Speaker 1: Car comes through here, shooters across from each other, kill each other dead.
Speaker 3: Oh my, where'd you learn that?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 4: In a regiment?
Speaker 2: What regiment was that?
Speaker 1: The twenty second Special Air Service? What's the color of the boat house?
Speaker 2: In here for?
Speaker 3: What's the color of the boathouse?
Speaker 4: And here for at all?
Speaker 1: You're at the color of the boat color?
Speaker 2: You got my arm? Go ahead, shothing.
Speaker 4: Tell me about an ambush.
Speaker 2: Tell me about an ambush.
Speaker 5: You'll get your money when we get the kiss.
Speaker 2: The other's two. That is what I understood.
Speaker 5: Come on, we've gotten the word. We're moving.
Speaker 2: Welcome to cinem Ego, a podcast all about expanding the cinematic horizons of its home.
Speaker 4: Matt, My god, I haven't been fucked like that since Great.
Speaker 2: School, Rob, Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 4: Plump? Do you?
Speaker 2: And hydro Bern? Plump?
Speaker 4: Fuck? Why younger than what? Listen, lady, what's our review? Is it? Something old, is it something new? Is it foreign? How many reviewers? Is it just Heideberg, Matt and Rob. If it's gonna be amateur night, then the review of the film has got to be my choice. It's got to be John Frankenheimer's Ronan, and everyone here has got to review it.
Speaker 2: Are cigarette?
Speaker 4: So yeah, we we are gonna be covering nineteen ninety eight's Ronan, directed by John Frankenheimer. Have any of you guys seen this film before?
Speaker 2: I have seen this film in the theaters, Uh, the first time I released?
Speaker 3: Yes, No, I did not know this movie existed.
Speaker 4: All right, this is gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: Why did you pick it? Rap?
Speaker 4: Well, let me tell you.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: This is a film that I saw as soon as it was available to rent because this is a film that my father was interested in. And I've stated this previously, but anything with cars and motorcycles and a good chase scene are movies that my dad enjoys. And because of that, I've also developed the same love and Ronan is right up there with the great chase scenes in cinema history. And we've been on a We've been on this really weird kick of spy films recently which was not planned. But I chose Ronan because it's a very different type of spy film, which has more similarities to Les Samurai more so than North By Northwest or Atomic Blonde. So I wanted to bring this to the Cinamigo's crew and see what you guys think about it.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny that you think this is a spy film, because in my my brain, this is a heist film. Yeah, those are different things.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a little bit of both. Yeah, But I even thought about that just before, and I was like, I was kind of calling it a spy thriller ask heist film, and I'm like, it's a little bit more heist than spy, but there's spies in it, Like there's X spies and spy stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, milange.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really is a milange of it's paying a tribute to a lot of yeah, paying a lot of different tributes to certain types of film. And we'll we'll we'll talk about that as we go along. But I uh, it's just a really interesting film that I can't wait to cover with you guys. But when do we get that pended hydroberd spoiler warning and I'll get the synopsis and talk about some pre production.
Speaker 2: Nice you hey you yeah you I'm looking at you. Don't you daan spoil this movie?
Speaker 4: You freelancing former US intelligence agent tries to try down a mysterious package that is wanted by the Irish and the Russians.
Speaker 2: All Right, So I saw this movie in the theater and it was definitely a movie I remember pretty well in the theater. This was a fun I don't know, this was like, I guess one of my big boy de Niro movies, like when I was able to see de Niro films in the theater and Rob you had mentioned outside of this recording that this might be one of his like last great like films of this nature, you know, leading man sort of driven. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I really do feel that this is kind of the last great Robert de Niro as we know him from all of his past filmography, from like The Godfather or Heat stuff like that, where it's like this is in that same caliber of acting that we just don't get any anymore from him until like The Irishman, but that's you know, it's like twenty five years later.
Speaker 2: And a role that's probably specifically written for him as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we'll talk about that, but as far as some pre production, our film got its start as a screenplay written by John David Syke, who did things like Pistol, Whipped the Touch, and the witch Blade TV series, and he was inspired by the James Clavell novel Shogun and the story of the forty seven Ronin and developed a story said in modern times with the philosophies of those two stories. Just before filming began, bame screenwriter David Mammont, who did things like The Verdict, The Untouchables. Glengarry Glenn Ross was brought on to expand certain elements of the story, including further developing Robert de Niro's character and developing more of a love interest between the de Niro character and Natasha mclhaney's character. However, problem developed in dishing out which writer was to be credited with what The Writer's Guild of America awarded majority credit to psych which Mammoth, the more experienced writer, contested, and when he did not win the argument, he withdrew his name from the film and used the pseudonym Richard Weiss. And as I say that this is directed by John Frankenheimer, he's do on films like The Train French Connection two in Grand Prix, and this was Frankenheimer's penultimate film, as he would pass away in two thousand and two. Many of Frankenheimer's films had been shot in France, and the director also lived there and chose this script because he liked the story and felt he could best showcase the real France and through that created an interesting pairing of nineties action, spy, thriller and neo noir films. Because of his connections in France and the desire the powers that be in France wanting to make a desired film. Because of his connections in France and the desire of the powers that be in France wanting to make it a desired filming location for Hollywood films, they waived the law that prohibited the firing of weapons during film shoots for this film. Yeah, and initially Jerry Goldsmith, who we discussed on our Legend episode, was commissioned to write the score for the film, but left the project. Frankenheimer was given a choice between a group of composers and chose check composer Aleah Smiril, who had never done a film score before. Well Smyral was shown to was shown the final edit of the film. The only notes that director gave him was that the score had to reflect the themes of sadness, loneliness and heroism, and to do that, one of the instruments he used was an Armenian is ring called the du Duke, which is heard prominently in the main theme of the film. So, like when you hear the title thing, that's the yeah, that's kind of the yeah. That's the instrument that he's using to kind of create that that feel.
Speaker 2: It does sort of I guess maybe it's supposed to vote that Japanese sort of vibe a little bit. Absolutely, yeah, But there are times where it feels a little off. I could see why though, because you're like, it's supposed to be like a heroic moment, a sad moment, you know, and sometimes music doesn't fit quite that way exactly. So there are a couple of moments where I think, and like I said, and this is also a guy who's doing a film score for the very first time.
Speaker 4: He had been an accomplished composer, but not really a film score.
Speaker 2: It's still good, but there were a couple of moments where I noticed it in the beginning, especially where I was like, this feels a little weird, like some of the music here and there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when do we dive into the film.
Speaker 2: I just want to say right away, I do like that it's Paris, but it's not the Paris we're used to, you know, it's the countryside Paris. Like, I like that about it, And I also love I love the way the movie starts and the way the group meets Matt. You might agree with me here. It starts like a D and D campaign, much like one. They all meet in a pub, they don't know each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Yn a job, I.
Speaker 3: Would say, I like the beginning of this movie is probably the weakest part of the movie. The I think it's too long to set everything up and then like they go on like this side first thing is like the site side mission where they're getting to know each other, and I feel like, I feel like like it's very clunky in it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean in the car like when they did the gun job.
Speaker 3: Well, so so the whole the whole bar thing, the whole bar thing feels clunky. I like the bar the bar, I love the setting. I just I think it could have been more smooth out. They could have they could have explained to me why I'm along for the ride. I felt like I was being Yeah, well but but still I feel like I'm being dragged along. I get drugged from the bar to the warehouse, I get drug from the warehouse to buying the guns, and then when we get done buying the guns, I feel like that's when the movie actually starts.
Speaker 4: Uh and a degree, Your right, Matt. But here's why I think that this does work. And because these are these are all mercenaries that are being hired by what as far as we know, Deirdre, who will come to find out is her name. She's the one who's hiring these guys for a mission. So they are meeting at this pub and we're going to stand.
Speaker 2: Like cases it out checks this exit strategy choking points like that sees who's going in and out for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, like I said, we're we're getting an idea of who our characters are, their personalities. We're meeting at this Yeah, we're meeting at this pub, and then we are going to the hub like where we're going to be working on figuring out this mission, which is getting this case, and in doing so we realize, ok, well, yeah, once again, Yeah, it's a mcguffin that ultimately we never figure out what it is. Yeah, but we One of our characters is a requisitions guy, h Vincent, and he is, Okay, what are we gonna We know a little bit about what we need to do. What are we gonna need to do to accomplish that? We need cars, we need guns, we need this, we need this technical computer equipment. And so in doing that, that's why we go on the mission to get the guns.
Speaker 2: Like it shows people's specialties and what each person's bringing to the group because they're not all gunmen. And then it shows like Sam's very capable, like he seems to know.
Speaker 3: Robert de Niro saves them scenes. As far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 2: I feel like you feel dragged along because you are thrown in the mix, because you're thrown into Sam's perspective. But we don't know much about Sam because he's a spook.
Speaker 3: Well, there's really like three scenes where they are asking the Laura Laura's Didra like Dedra. They're asking Didra, Hey, so what's going on? And She's like, I can't tell you yet, and I'm like, this is the third time they're not on.
Speaker 2: They don't need to know, and yeah, it's it's Uh.
Speaker 4: That's one of the things that is a running thing of this film because we don't really know who the the backers, because Deirdre is not the backers, She's just the front man of this group that is hiring these guys and we'll find out about that later.
Speaker 3: But man, I like, I feel like I jumped in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, that's I just wanted to give the movie a little bit of bail. And maybe because this is your first time watching it. See, this is a film I've seen. I couldn't tell you how many times. So me for what we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna get, yeah, Cloak and Dagger, we don't have all the answers exactly.
Speaker 4: And so but like I said, and Matt's going to give us a great perspective because this is his first time. So I'm looking forward to that. But that, like I said, this first scene really sets up some of our characters and like their their personalities, especially Sam, who we see him as very calculated. He's he's not fucking around and uh, as I said earlier, like this is this is our first real Robert de Niro film Robert de Niro, who plays Sam And like I said, I enjoyed our early episodes, the movies that we covered with him.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess that's that's a that's a that's a salone movie. That's not a de Niro film. DeNiro is plays a big he plays a big part in it, but he's a supporting character. We see for ten minutes in the film. He's not really our main character. This is a de Niro film. Yeah, And he and like you like you predicted, he was a desired actor for the role and Frankenheimer was actually surprised that he was one available and two interested in the role. And I like DeNiro. Yeah. DeNiro plays like a character that I really love, a character that's both intelligent, observing and kind of a smart and a smart as I likes like.
Speaker 2: That moment where he's like when Sean Bean's character is like, y'all, ever you have killed anybody, and he's like, I heard somebody's feelings. Once you know, he's not revealing what he who he is. First of all, Sean Bean's character Spencer is like a blowhard and instantly you can tell he's.
Speaker 4: We're gonna we are going to talk about that he doesn't die.
Speaker 2: He doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, one, I have a I have a theory about about his character and too, we'll talk about him not dying in this film and how close he did come to dying.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna say, Matt, Well, I was just I don't think Sam is a smart ass. I think he's just he's just no nonsense and he wants to be your own business, and he gets when people aren't, like when people are goofing off when it's time to work the jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I like the comments is like what you care about saving your own is? All you care about is saving your own skins?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, covers my body's my body.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that. Even Deirdre had to like try not to laugh because she's like she can't take a side, but she's already a note. Like everybody's noticing that Sam's the one in the room to listen to it in a way they're not like only Sean Bean's character is like you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, in a lot of ways, he's the real leader of this group.
Speaker 2: He's the one asking the question, like the really important questions, but everybody else is capable. The driver guys capable, Larry uh, you know.
Speaker 4: And I grew.
Speaker 3: I grew very fond of the driver guy.
Speaker 2: I did too. I wish we got more.
Speaker 3: He has so few lines, and yet I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I get he's a stoic guy, and you could tell like that's part of his character. But at the same time, I would have wish they would like talk more about their personal lives a little bit. I wish there was a little bit more of that. Actually, I get why you don't have that, because they're like, you know, we can't tell each other who we are. But there is a budding friendship between Vincent and Sam. We get that early on, and it feels natural too, the way they start having a mutual respect for well.
Speaker 4: So I also noticed that the Sam tests some people, but not not the ones that we meet in the club, and and.
Speaker 2: I think he can't figure out right away, right right.
Speaker 4: And Greg, Gregor and Spence, he tests them and like, oh, just kind of like a little thing, like, oh, Gregor has really good reflexes. Spence has no idea what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that himself just by talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but uh.
Speaker 3: At first I was like, Sean Bee's doing a horrible job. And then I was like, Sean Bee is doing a great job of making me hate him.
Speaker 2: He seemed like a cokehead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, like he seemed we're gonna do it, right, We're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 3: I've I'm sure rob you too. I was in the military and I've ran into this guy. Yeah, but to think he is the alpha male and he's like he's just wanting everyone to think he's cool, so bad that.
Speaker 2: He's in line and learning he's a fucking idiot. Yeah, learn when somebody else in the room knows more than you and fucking follow their lead. I love that moment too, where he's like, yeah, I got this, give me, give me some of the money. And I like de Niro like he's like, you know what, you think too much? He's like, nobody ever told me that before?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Uh? And I like how he plays that situation, like you want us to go in there with you? Nah, I don't like. I like how that situation plays because it shows our team starting to build. Like Larry pulls up in the car. That was smart. He pulls up, he grabs whatever guns were there at the deal, you know, starts loading up the car like they're starting to be a well oiled machine. In a way, I feel like.
Speaker 3: That was Sam give me Sean Bean's character chances to think. He's like he's giving him enough, Like are you sure? This is why I'm not.
Speaker 2: That's why he tells Vincent too, like all right, you're gonna go in there. Here's what you need to know if something goes down. And he was right that this is.
Speaker 3: Where you learn. Vincent's Vincent's the fucking RD or die good guy. Like he's like this is so stupid, but I can't let this little boy get killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, they're paying me to do this, so I have to do it. Yeah, he's got he's got some kind of code, you know what I mean. There's like a code you could tell.
Speaker 4: The other Yeah. The other thing too, is he is like, what what would it What would it benefit you with me dying? It's like, well, I need the money. It's like the money is right here, you can take the money.
Speaker 2: And then they say it later too, we have the money still and he's like yeah, but who you know whose money is it? Like who are we who are we doing this for Yeah, and that's smart. Yeah, but that that reveals that's like him testing Sam as well. That might be Vincent testing Sam to see if he was the kind of guy who would just take the money, right.
Speaker 4: And uh so we you know, we we have our group that going from the pub to the this location and that's where we meet our all our other characters. I'll kind of introduce all our members of the team that we're going to be discussing. And we've we've already talked about them a little bit. Yeah, Jehan Jean Renaud who plays Vincent. He's been in films like Let Them, Nikita, Leon, The Professional, The First Mission, Impossible, and like we we already.
Speaker 2: Talked about by Nikita.
Speaker 4: I have actually not seen the film. I saw the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's film with Jodi Foster. I think it's Jodie Foster. Maybe I'm wrong, Yeah, wrong actress. Anyway, it's a good movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not said I've seen the show. I've just never seen the film. But I like, we've talked about this, but I love the friendship that develops between Sam and Vincent. But I do have a question for you guys, why do you think Vincent initiates the relationship between them.
Speaker 2: What do you mean between Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he's the one that kind of approaches Sam cigarette cigarette. Yeah, Like what do you just see?
Speaker 2: It's like a professional, an older man who seems to know his thing. He's quiet, he seems you know, I don't know, like genuine in a way. So I feel like he's gravitated towards him.
Speaker 3: If you're gonna do something dangerous with another person, like you want to kind of get a you want to dial in their character and see what they're like, can I really Yeah? And like so they they know immediately not to trust Sean Bean's character. But like I feel like they go around and they figure everyone else out and they're like not not Pop a Scars guard, but the driver, the driver, the French Gry and Sam. I think those those three right there, they would have been. Yeah, they're real on each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, because like Vincent's good at getting this stuff, the guys good at the getaway stuff. And then you got Sam who's just the all round like know it, he knows, he knows how to think.
Speaker 3: About when it's time to be how much can we joke? You're like like on the prize, but like, let's not be Dick's you know, like they're all dialed in together and then the other two or outliers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's why he tests Gregor because he's sort of like, is this guy KGB or like what I don't know. Greg's supposed to be German? Yes, okay, that's what. So he's thinking this guy is like probably was like some kind of German.
Speaker 4: He's no, actually sorry, he is Russian actually, because he's KGB not k s A.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Yeah, So he's testing them to see if he's just some kind of smart guy number pusher or like, you know, if he can perform I guess, and you know, if he can lethal. Dude, if he's lethal, yeah, d.
Speaker 3: Dra Didre's boss meets up with her in the subway. Yeah, he says, we gotta go now. You don't got time to get shipped together. Was that before the guns are after.
Speaker 2: Okay daring the guns?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the guns.
Speaker 2: When they got rid of Sean, they were already planning phase at that point.
Speaker 4: No. Here's the thing though, we yes, we see that scene afterwards, but that was happening during Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Because she comes home immediately after and relays that same information later in the.
Speaker 4: I don't know that was happening.
Speaker 2: They know they had moved into that apartment because she came back to that apartment correct and was like, we have to do it now.
Speaker 4: No, this this happened while they were at the warehouse. Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they don't do the heightst from the warehouse. They plan it from the apartment.
Speaker 4: No, they know because the apartment is That's like, that's a next That's.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, that's where the heist starts.
Speaker 3: They they I think they had planned to stay in the warehouse for a while and train and figure out everything they were going through.
Speaker 2: I forgot And then when she that happened.
Speaker 3: Last she's like, we can't. We have to go straight into the apartment.
Speaker 4: That Yeah, that's what I'm saying. This is this is happening while they're acquiring the guns, this meet up between Deirdre and Yeah. But anyways, So Natasha mcalhanney, she plays Deirdre. You've seen her in the Truman Show, this remake of Solaris and I remember her from the show California Indication. Both her and Jonathan Price had a dialect coach to help them with their accents because neither are from Northern Island. We have Sellin Scarsguard, who plays Gregor. He's a returning champion for us. Frankenheimer praised the level of the work that scars Gard did that he brought to the role, which included him developing a whole background as to why his character acts in the way that he does. Obviously that doesn't show up in the film or like any sort of dialogue. But a lot of these actors, yeah, well, a lot of these actors that like a Sellin scars Guard will do work on their character like who am I like let and they'll write up like a whole essay on who their character is. I'm sure Robert de Niro did the same thing. But stars Guard, Yeah, scars Guard definitely did this. And Frankenheimer's just really impressed that even even though he's not on screen all that much, he still like is doing this crazy amount of work for the character.
Speaker 2: And Guarden Dragon Tattoo, right, was the other film, that's correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We have Sean Bean who plays Spence. He's been in films like GoldenEye, The Lord of the Rings, and he's in Game of Thrones one of the few films that he does not die in, despite it being debated by the director wondering if he should die or be left to be on his way.
Speaker 2: There is ambiguity whether like they might have cleaned up after who knows what, We don't know.
Speaker 4: So so there Frankenheimer taught because he's the I listened to his audio. Yeah, because I was listening to the audio commentary of the film that Frankenheimer.
Speaker 2: Does because Seamus, I could see Shamus killing him just to get him out of there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But what happened is, like the debate was that Frankenheimer had kind of had it with themselves like should I kill the off this character or should I just let him kind of just go on his way? And uh there they kind of filmed it both ways, like where you just hear a gunshot and you know, as they're going out out and he's like, no, I think we're just gonna let him live and be kind of live in this like in Shame essentially, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He tried to play with the big boys, but you were faking it.
Speaker 4: So being described his character as being egotistical and out of his depth quote unquote. However, I contend his character is a fake. He claims that he's a firearm specialist that served in the Special Air Service, but the questions he asked of Sam and the group seemed to me to be suspect, have you guys killed anyone? What kind of weapons do you use? Putting the guys in a dangerous situation and not reading the danger, talking too damn much. What do you think about I read it.
Speaker 2: As a guy who didn't like was in the military and either a like sucked right and never saw any action, and he's pretending like he has, or he maybe flunked out and never even fucking finished, but he learned a little bit, Like he knows his way around some guns, and he knows a little bit, but he's always he's pretending the rest because he hasn't seen.
Speaker 4: Any in reality. But I agree with you to a degree, But like, overall, he's a fake. He's a fake.
Speaker 2: I think I think he I think it doesn't matter whether he knows the color of the boat house or not.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's a well Sandon know the color of the boat.
Speaker 2: I know he's bluffing, but uh, you know, that doesn't mean that he didn't go to the school either. I don't think that confirms it necessarily.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't think he ever did. I think I think he failed out in boot camp. I guarantee that he bailed out the next camp.
Speaker 2: And he's just been like trying to, you know, pick up jobs. How does a guy like that even find out about a job like this? Then you know it's the only one that doesn't really have any qualifications like the rest.
Speaker 3: Well that's something he had to at least do something.
Speaker 2: I guess he just wanted like one more hired gun.
Speaker 4: So like an next chacher. So here, here's the thing I'm thinking about, because we have two different factions here, well actually different factions if you will, because Deirdre and Seamus are on their own faction. But because we have the people that met in the pub. There's Vincent, there's Sam, there's Larry, and then there's the people that were already at the warehouse and that's Spence and Gregor. And the people that Sam doesn't trust are the people in the warehouse and he tests them and those are also people who the people that were already in the warehouse are the people who fucked the mission or are at least attempted to in some degree. And that's where later on, when Deirdre and Seamus are having this discussion, it's like I hired them because there was from your fucking contact. Why did your contact give me these people?
Speaker 2: And they never find out who the contact is. The man in the wheelchair right.
Speaker 4: The man well, which is supposedly this this film takes place in the Jason Bourne universe because the man in the wheelchair is is a kind of a type of person like that in the uh in the Bourn universe.
Speaker 2: Is a man in the wheelchair in the Born universe?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Remember?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well we don't. Yeah, it's like we I don't Born esque. Well, we don't necessarily see that in the films, but we do see it in in the books that they're based off of. There is a man in the wheelchair.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: But and then uh. We also have Skip Sudith who plays Larry Uh. Mostly a journeyman actor, but many people might know him from the TV series Third Watch. Yes and yeah, Unlike the other actors, he actually did a majority of his own driving stunts.
Speaker 2: I thought, so it looks like it. Yeah, impressive, dude. I fell in love with that car after seeing this movie eight Yeah that was in Sedan and just the sound of it, like because I love how he's just like I need this, this and that and a fucking nitrous tank.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like, yeah, yeah, well he said nitrous. I was like, Oh, that's so like Nights was new. Like they had to show it, like in every movie they're like this is this is this new fingle technology that makes cars go fast. It didn't feel real, uh, And we've slowly grown we've gotten away from that in movies, but like there was like a six seven year period where every car had nice not niciss, and you would see.
Speaker 2: Them in this whatever. It's always been in movies, it just hasn't had a name, Like it's been James By movies all the time, but you just don't like they never name it. But it's like the switch and then fucking the car zooms, you know.
Speaker 4: It's also been around in racing, even though it's.
Speaker 2: A little exactly know, but it's like it depends on the race. It depends on racing. Like if you're doing drag racing, it's not necessarily illegal double yeah.
Speaker 4: But as far as like any sort of like indy car or stock car racing. It's been around, but.
Speaker 2: It makes sense for someone like this to install it, like it's not like a fast and the furious sort of like use of it. And then in this it's like he's building a getaway car, so he wants a little bit if they need to boost the fuck out of there or catch up to the convoy, he needs that little bit of extra horsepower. He's probably pushing like eight hundred horsepower and that fucking thing.
Speaker 4: I feel like, dude, if in it feels like these Yeah, these guys also were the stunt drivers were driving fast, like really fast, And we'll we'll we'll talk about that towards the.
Speaker 2: Hugi reaults.
Speaker 4: So they're there. They had a Citron, they had a Pougeot, they had m W they had a Diesel Mercedes. Uh, but it's uh, we'll talk about that at the end how they did some of those stunts when we get to those those scenes. But man, they were fucking flying.
Speaker 2: And even the camera work when the camera we get in the POV shots of the cars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and certain the shots also make it even look more frantic, but they really were driving at a pretty aggressive speed.
Speaker 2: You can tell from the interior shots like too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I wanted to talk about the the gun acquisition scene as they're going to meet uh, their suppliers of these guns, because I think this is obviously a very important scene in the movie.
Speaker 2: Doesn't know that they're going to get double cross here, right, This is just bad a bad connection because this is through Vincent anyway.
Speaker 4: Yes, through Vincent, through some French contents.
Speaker 3: Like you know these people or did your boss give you? Just give you a phone number? Yeah, So, like he suspect to begin with, he doesn't even want to go he wants to go with them.
Speaker 2: He wants to follow the boss lady. Yeah, she wants information.
Speaker 3: They all would have died.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she's been so you know, stand offish with information, Like every time he asks a question, she's just kind of deflecting, and he's like, something's not right here. I don't like this. And so he's wanting to figure out if going with her to figure out more things, and she's like, no, go with go with these guys, and Gregor stays behind. I think this is also a very important point because this is the only time when he did Yes, I believe this is when he did the case because no one else was there, So this is the perfect time for him to get the the fake case made up.
Speaker 2: True if they hadn't picked the case yet though, that's the only thing. So I don't know if that was the thing.
Speaker 4: But they knew that they were getting a case, and they saw the picture of the case.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he already knew that.
Speaker 4: So he already had that information. So he was the ice skating already all and now I'm I have a feeling that Gregor and you exactly what's in the case, and he knew what he could get for it, and he was already working on this double cross, like, oh, he's totally looked in the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he knows, he knows he's setting up the sell. You, I mean, you have to know what something is if you're going to sell it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's why they should have kept more eyes on him in the first place, if he's the guy who's like setting up the sale of the item. Well, actually I thought Deirdrew was doing all that right, she'd no, because they needed.
Speaker 4: They needed him.
Speaker 3: With the purpose of to the Russians, to the Russians, so he has to know what it is. He wouldn't risk he wouldn't risk all this if he didn't know what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the IRA is trying to steal the case because they don't have enough money to actually buy the case. The Russians have the money to buy the case. And what they don't realize is that Gregor is actually technically still working well, he's working for himself, but he is he knows what's in the case. He's technically working for the Russians, and he's gonna steal the case for himself and sell it back to them so that he can make money.
Speaker 2: Now I have a question, It's just do you think this whole time that d Niro's character is an x CI a mercenary now or is he still somehow connected to the CI.
Speaker 4: So that that that is a theory that a lot of people think.
Speaker 2: That he's trying to get the case.
Speaker 4: That's right, that he's actually trying to get the case for the Americans because he's still working with that. Yeah. Yeah, he's he's pretending to be x that he's like that he's a burned spy that is uh, and he's but in reality, he's actually still working for the CIA. And I think I think the ending does portray that because going off. Yeah, because he ends up going off with that guy again, meaning that maybe he's still connected with the CIA.
Speaker 2: That's what I was wondering. But then he tells Renault's character as if they're going to see each other again, He's like, I'll get the bill next time.
Speaker 4: Well, I think he's I think now that he knows Vincent is a guy that he can rely on and might be able to Hey, if I have another job, this is the guy I want to use on another job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Upon my second launch, I I thought, I don't think that uh in our A ever or right nine r A. I don't think the Irish people I used to think the IRA, I don't think they ever actually planned on paying these guys because when Robert Niro flips out and he's like, no, I'm gonna need a fucking giant raise it at.
Speaker 2: Dude, I love that fucking moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to pay.
Speaker 3: All of them one hundred thousand dollars, but they can't afford the case.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're also like, I don't think the theater is like she's not necessarily innocent, but she's not in control of everything that Shamus is doing. So like when Seamous pulls a double cross later she just has to go along with it.
Speaker 3: And her in the dark.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think she ever planned on the killing Larry, Like that wasn't part of her plan. If it was up to her, she probably would have paid these people off and sent them on their way, just like Sean Bean's character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we like said, they're still in the case because they don't have the money. And it's from what I understand, it seems like Seamus is kind of Yes, he's part of the IRA, but he's almost like a fractured stegment of the IRA, Like he's a splinter cell from the IRA that they don't even want this guy around. That's why he has to hide, because he's under so much suspicion from all these different people. That's why Deirdre is his front man.
Speaker 2: He's a little weasy fuck in this movie too.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, I do I love. I fucking love Jonathan Brice acting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you don't like h.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I just I love this scene where they acquire the guns. There's this whole fucking thing that goes on. But like I said, we talked about how all the characters kind of play their role, and what Sam anticipated was gonna happen is that there is gonna something is just very weird about this. They didn't bring all the stuff.
Speaker 2: That we asked them to bring, and they.
Speaker 4: Lured into it like a kill box essentially, and he's like, I ain't going I ain't going in there. We have all all that ship breakdown, they shoot up the everybody. They end up keeping the money, getting the guns, some guns at least, And dude, that's the the the running away from the cops, to get away from the cops. Oh man, that was crazy.
Speaker 3: Jamm back there, boys, Yeah much.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what to follow. Cut the murment out out right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit of raspberry can there? Yeah yeah, jump chop.
Speaker 3: The moment the adrenaline wears out, he has to.
Speaker 4: Keep sucking, like hitting the car right, because he's never he's never shot a gun and he's never killed anybody. That's why he throws up.
Speaker 2: We're been even had bullets shot at him, probably live rounds. He's a little bitch boy. You could have just left him there on the street. That's where they should have shot him in the fucking head when he was throwing up, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the gun buyer's got him. Sorry.
Speaker 2: I love how they look at each other, like like.
Speaker 4: This this guy and well, it's like and you have when he's outside hurling on the sidewalk, you have Vincent look at Sam and it's like it's like I need the money. It's like the money's money's right here and taking it. It's like, but who's the one that provided the money? Because like I.
Speaker 2: Feel like maybe he's not really needing the money. I used to think that he was just a mercenary, but now I'm starting to think that he Yeah.
Speaker 4: I really now, Yeah, now that I'm really looking a bit about a super critical eye is that he is an undercover rogue agent essentially that is infiltrating this this group to figure out what's going on, what who are our buyers? And he's asking all these questions yes to.
Speaker 2: He's so like he's not supposed to be using CIA information. Money, doesn't need to like the number triangulation, that was a last ditch effort. He didn't really want to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he also knows that he he knows how to do that, how to live off the grid, he knows how he knows how to do all that to keep his cover up and in a lassage effort to like really make sure that this case doesn't get into the wrong hands. He utilizes like I have to go to my guys and figure this out. And that's where it's like when when he's asked, like, who's that Guy's like, he's my high school buddy.
Speaker 2: But skipping ahead, let's spreak down the heist and the apartment like planning moments, because that's what we're here for anyway, right, the highest thing, Like I just it's one of the moments that sticks out the most to me in this movie.
Speaker 3: Before though, when do you think the moment Sam decided he was gonna get rid of Sean being? Like when do you think was it when he was at the whiteboard fucking up? Or was it like.
Speaker 4: In the car acquisition?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think, but the whiteboard was like I can't stand this to him. If Sean being sat there at the table and shut up and just listened, I don't think he would have buffet him as quickly.
Speaker 3: When he told him to draw it again six times in a row, like I drive again, every one of those, Draw it again, draw it again.
Speaker 2: Draw a simple diagram, Just draw it again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like I.
Speaker 2: Like the way they play it too, because you don't know what he's doing. He's sipping his coffee, but then he puts the coffee down and just like we look at it real fast for a moment, and we go back to the drawing board that he's on, and just like, Okay, yeah, obviously I guess, like I didn't even go to fucking school, because like, that's stupid putting two people shooters a cross. You put a shoot ahea in a shoot of the right right raspberry jam.
Speaker 4: It's a fucking idiot. And he's like, yeah, you know what happens when you put a shooter here and a shooter here. They shoot at each other and they're all dead. What's what color is the bow house at Hereford? What color is the bow house at Herefords? That dude, that scene is fucking amazing. I love it.
Speaker 3: That's probably that scene is Bruen. I got pulled into the movie when I was like, oh, okay, this movie, this movie is now taking a turn. This is a different type of movie. It's not it's not a movie anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I also think this is the way where Dieter realizes that, like, shit, like some of these contexts, maybe they're not.
Speaker 2: The best, but it also shows that like okay, maybe this guy's a serting himself, but also this is the guy to get it done as well, like the reason that he's taking because he wants to do the department.
Speaker 3: He becomes the boss, like just riding shotgun at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really know how much I love the whole. Like, hey, honey, puts some pearls on and let's go for a walk kind of deal.
Speaker 3: Every time he said when he's given her like your wife clean up really good, I kept thinking a boar rat, he's like my wif. I was laughing.
Speaker 4: See, here's the thing is, I don't think that that was necessarily a derogatory thing. It was just more to like, it's a play a part, and only I only say that because Natasha mcelhaney she talking about her character, she really feels like she was actually really excited to do this role. One because she's a woman who is essential the leader of this group. She's the one that brought it all together. But and the fact that she's a woman is not even really like talked about her considered. It's not thrown on the dial, like it's like, what the hell is a woman doing telling us whatever question that's not even Yeah, it's not even a question. Which is and she is and she is a powerhouse figure in this movie. She's not. It's not played for like, oh well, she's a woman, she can't handle anything. So I kind of like, I don't mean that.
Speaker 2: I just think the whole the relationship between her and him, like you said, it was added on. It feels a little added on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I also feel.
Speaker 2: Like it futual respect, fine, mutual respect. I don't know if I need like love, like get out of here.
Speaker 4: Well, they touch on it a little bit, but I don't and I think there is. There isn't a.
Speaker 3: I just don't take that as romance. I took that as he realized that her boss is a horrible person and she got stuck in the middle, and he's like, get out of here.
Speaker 2: True, why did he do because he's a sucker for any of them?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Pushed he totally you could have pretended to be doing anything. But he was like, we're gonna, hey, we gotta be lipsmack and let's go.
Speaker 3: That. Public displays of affection make people uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: So the other thing too is I don't know what it is, but both Robert de Niro and al Pacino having sex scenes is just weird to me. Those actors like, for whatever reason, like them being in a sex scene, just.
Speaker 2: Can't wait till we covered heat and they both have sex with each other. Oh sorry, I spoiled it.
Speaker 3: Uh now I have to see.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most craziest sex scenes ever. Uh. But yeah, the heistman, I just like high stuff, like planning. U like moments. I like them in the you know, in the hotel, smoker cigarettes, wagons. I like seeing like uh, you know, Vincent getting stuff and and I like seeing little stuff like Larry went out and got groceries, you know, just a little ship that adds detail. Like they've been here for a little while. They have a little bit of a routine while they're planning.
Speaker 4: And he's also the kind of the he's the one that they and everybody too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's a food kind of guy.
Speaker 4: It definitely it's definitely funky in there because Larry's fucking smoking twenty.
Speaker 2: Four and that little bit of like they're getting pent up too, because like Gregor is like I just want to do something. He's like, we are doing something waiting and then I like how Sam sort of like you know what, let's do it now, let's go check it out, like kind of drags the map.
Speaker 4: The map's not the the map's not the territory. Let's let's see the.
Speaker 3: Map is not the land. I wrote it down.
Speaker 4: It was like it was, yeah, the map's not the land.
Speaker 3: Stuck out. Uh. So like he go down there and walk around. He takes a he pretends like he's a tourist, so he has an excuse to take I was slick, and he grabs that poor French guy and he's like, take a picture of my wife, take a picture.
Speaker 4: Of mind what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like he sets up that little bit of sign though, to see what they'll do under you know, pressure, if they think the shots fired, which was smart to see like what they're dealing with, because otherwise they would have known none of that information.
Speaker 3: Now you stand with my wife and I think.
Speaker 2: They or something eight to ten people to three cars. That's all the information they had until he went down there and checked it all out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like I said, it's it just shows how much of an intelligent guy, this guy, uh that Sam is.
Speaker 3: And then and then the reason they're in the car later is because they're waiting, and he's like, well, we should we should still be getting information. That's why he drove down there. He's like he was up to wait till tomorrow. We have more to get more intel.
Speaker 4: Let's put these guys to bed, and like they're just watching and listening to what's going on in that villa that these guys are staying in. And obviously they when cars go by and all that stuff that they're like, oh, we have to pretend like we're looking at the map or oh the cops. Let's uh, you know, let's have sex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she he likes a good kiss her, and yeah, he had a little chemistry.
Speaker 4: Kiss and then she got turned on and she ended up boning him.
Speaker 2: And I wasn't like I'm gonna try and get I don't think she was kind of trying to like gaslight him so that later she could double cross him and he would have feelings. I think she genuinely was just like caught up in the moment like this that's sucking.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's one of those things that it was in the moment she liked it.
Speaker 2: She liked him, and.
Speaker 3: Until this moment she was like tired of his ship. She's like, I'm trying to be the I'm trying to run this group here, and you keep stepping I think a little.
Speaker 2: Bit she might have been turned on by it away too, because he's the only one in the group who was like assertive at all about it anything they had.
Speaker 3: There's a really good line while they're in the car. He asked her how she got into it, and she was like, I was seduced by a not good gentleman. He's like me too, and like I laughed pretty hard at that.
Speaker 2: I did. There's bits of in a very serious movie, there are some bits of humor, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well that's like because because Sam's a witty, witty guy, you know, he likes to say stuff off the cuff, very you know, James gunnstyle, Harry.
Speaker 4: I think those I think those are the David mammontt touches to the screenplay, like as far as like expanding upon the character of Sam, which is one of his jobs. And I have a feeling that those little bits of dialogue, the little quips that he has, I think that gives it a little bit more character and makes the character a lot more fun.
Speaker 2: It feels real, yeah yeah, yeah, Like he says these things because he knows these things. He's not lying.
Speaker 3: What makes you feel like a real person and not just reading dialogue. This is the heiste dude together.
Speaker 2: You don't know. You've heard the planning, you've seen the board, you heard about the fire cracker thing. You didn't know what that was, the simulator or whatever. And then when you get to see it all start to come together like that.
Speaker 3: Like in between two plants, like it's just out in the open. He's like, no one, I'll funk with it. Well, like you just lay shit around like that.
Speaker 4: This was one of This is such a great scene because now now because like Sam said, the map is not the land, and so now we as an audience are seeing the land like the reality of the situation. What's gonna be taking back like ran on the side of the road right, and now we see like where people are getting set up. We have Larry who's uh parking his car in a certain strategic position. We have Gregor in the band with all the computers and like we were figuring out like oh he's he's gonna be Yeah, the guy in the chair that's monitoring everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh. And we have Sam and Vincent together in the Mercedes and they are I think all that. Dude, they're setting up to figure out like okay, we were monitoring things. We're setting up the little clicker to change the stop light so we can create a diversion there.
Speaker 2: Like how Gregor's too. He's got aware. He's aware of everything so he can give relay information to them. Wants to chase the light.
Speaker 3: Those those nineties computers, man, they were they were making me so happy.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's how.
Speaker 3: Yes, remember when a computer took up half a van.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's how Larry Because Larry's is a very capable driver, but now he can drive without even really focusing on the road as much, like just his you know, like you're going to make a left here and boom, he's like doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, his instincts are to h.
Speaker 3: He would just put his He just put the GPS like in the cigarette the ashtray.
Speaker 4: The other thing I yeah. The other thing I really like too is there's a great line up. When everything's getting ready to go down and Vincent comes back into the car where Sam is at and he asked us, like, what's your wish for Christmas? It's like, I want my two front teeth, May it be granted? And then he grabs that like rocket launcher or the grenade launcher that he.
Speaker 2: Has, and yeah, and that ship it all hell fucking breaks loose. They're not fucking around either, like they're not trying to take the case without killing anybody. They're like, no, we're going to blow up the first car and really make a statement here. And then the whole plan is to actually get the car to go to run.
Speaker 4: Yeah that is Yeah, they're trying. They're trying to isolate the car with the case, taking out all the other security guards. That was the whole point of this. And fuck yeah, dude, this this is a great chasing that happens here.
Speaker 2: One moment then that took me out. Though there's a moment where like the cars pull up, Vincent's shooting by the fruit stand. He runs for cover. He runs as like, uh, Sam's covering him with the assault rifle. Because aftery blows up the front car, he pulls out a fucking ar and just starts laying a waste all the henchmen as they get out, the main case guy goes flying you know, out in the in his car, and then the other guys pull up and starts shooting at Vincent, and there's a moment where Vincent runs and it's like everybody behind him at the fruit stand gets like shot except for him, Like he's like, ok yeah, I just it was one moment.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, okay, it's a little dumb. I I agree, but I really.
Speaker 3: Liked it when he pulled out that Tormato two Grene launcher. I got qualified for that gun while it was in the Navy, and it's super fun to shoot.
Speaker 4: Oh monkey bastard.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think makes a while. You know, honestly, this would be like a great video game.
Speaker 4: Fuck yeah, dude, I pay.
Speaker 2: To get Away. No more like a third person like shooter with driving segments and.
Speaker 3: GTA Yeah a little bit, yeah, but more. Just notice how red the blood was.
Speaker 2: It was like Italian.
Speaker 3: Italian horror movie blood in the Colisseum.
Speaker 2: I noticed that scene. That's what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's I feel. Yeah, I really do believe that because Frankenheimer, he's kind of one of the classic Hollywood directors because he did a lot of stuff in the sixties and seventies, and he's paying tribute to those, uh, not like the noir films of the forties, but like what the neo noir films that were coming out in the sixties and seventies. And I'm sure, like I said, I I have to imagine that Le Samurai was one of his uh one of the films he was paying tribute to, but like a lot of those Italian and French neo noir films, and well he did he didn't do the original French connection. He did the second the sequel.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying I haven't. Yeah, this is uh, you know, this movie is like an amalgamation of the things that he's inspired by. He wanted to make a couple of different films and one that's why it's a spy, thriller, heist, fucking right, D and D movie. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: And I think and I think he I think he is merging a couple of different worlds where this is a he's merging the nineties action film into like these old films. Yeah, and that's where I think some people might not like the pacing of this film, because there are a lot of slower moments. But and but the action we get is like snap of your finger.
Speaker 2: Very well choreographed. Yeah, and very stylist.
Speaker 3: This car chase gets out of the city pretty fast. Yeah, now we're not liked about that. We're full dukes of hazard.
Speaker 2: Now we're off roads roads.
Speaker 3: And in like big dust trails.
Speaker 2: And I love how they start taking out these cars though, like the Bazuka moment. You can tell it's not rabber than Hero, but it's still cool, like how they're just like, yeah, we're going to take out that one trailing car real quick with the Bazuka. And then then we queue in the driver Larry, like they're coming up there on you almost in a moment. And that's where Gregory's really coming in clutch. I think, relaying all these information to both drivers so that they can get like this one car like well after.
Speaker 3: I mean, so this chasing runs a little long, but it's capped with it starts with a gunfight and then it ends with a gunfight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That that ending gunfight I think is damn You're perfect.
Speaker 2: It is. I like the way it's situated too, Like it feels really I understood.
Speaker 3: Everything that was going on into the area, right, Like, Yeah, usually they get choppy that they don't want you like like this person might be over here, might be over there, and they don't want you to know exactly so they they don't mess up. But everything was crystal.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really good the way he comes through with the big gun and then like the other car comes down the alley and he starts firing on them, and you could see like the camera pans and we could I like how Larry starts shooting when he first pulls it up, because he like knocks them out of the UH into the UH, into the fucking the wall and he just starts shooting at the other guys, the drivers, And I like when we panted, like you said, there's a moment where you get to see Deirdre and she's in she's kind of pinned between the two cars, but she's using it as cover because for that moment, it's like she can't really get out of there, but it's it's keeping her alive at least, and she's firing from cover there. And I thought that was a good bit of like like you said, they used the environment really well and paint it well where you it feels believable, and I could picture it like, oh, there, and Gregor's over here, and that's how Gregor is able to do the switch because nobody can fucking see what's going on with him. They're too wrapped up, which he had planned on, I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the only thing that gets them to understand like, oh, that there's a switch is the the paint hasn't dried on the case yet.
Speaker 2: Which is kind of sloppy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does feel a little sloppy, but it's it's for us the audience to know that the case has been switched. And was like, oh fuck, throw that ship away and toss it under the car and big fucking explosion, And I like, it's the law of cool. I think it works for the film. It makes it awesome, But yeah, it is sloppy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ever think about like the people like just sitting there having lunch at that cafe. It's just a normal day and then like four cars wreck in front of you and start shooting at each.
Speaker 2: Other, blowing up and ship.
Speaker 3: That will be the one day you think about every day for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're going out to eat over again, Like I'm saying I'm getting uber.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those were all sun people. They knew that the car was coming, and they were If you watch a little bit of the behind the scenes, you'll see them like jumping just before the car gets there. But yeah, it's stilly. But based on the movie, yeah, it is like, fuck that ruined their fucking day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can just imagine. But uh yeah, so this is the first big, big double cross I think that comes in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is where we learn it's so they cut away and now we learn it's a sneaky Christmas m movie. Yep, because as they go back to the apartment. Uh, there are people out caroling. There's a church group Caroline.
Speaker 2: I think, mm, yeah, that's when we find out that much his name was hit or injured.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think in the I think in the explosion there was like Strapannel that hit went into Larry's leg and so there so you have Sam acquiring materials to help heal his leg.
Speaker 2: I like that moment. See Larry doesn't talk a lot, but there's a moment where like Sam gives him a cigarette because he wanted a camel and he didn't and it's not Sam Vincent did. Sam didn't get him cigarettes. But there's like this like just like you speaking too much. Yeah, but there's this moment on Larry's face where he's just happy and he's sort of like I'm with my buds, you know what I mean. My buddy over here is yeah, leg up, and my buddy over here gave me a cigarette and like things could be worse, you know, And I just kind of wish we heard more about Larry, Like I don't know, maybe he talked about his favorite food or why he's into food or just something just a little bread crabba who he was, you know, American And you.
Speaker 3: Realize, you realize that you didn't die, and like there's a euphoria like I came very close to dying and I didn't, like so like this isn't guaranteed, and now I have a cigarette and my friend here.
Speaker 4: Well and he also knows that because Sam saved his life essentially kill him. Yeah well even yeah, even like dere is like why the fun did you kill Mary?
Speaker 2: Why to take to take your car? You can Larry drive.
Speaker 3: Fam forgave her because yeah, uh he doesn't know that she wasn't in on it. I mean he might have because he knows her as a person by now, but still I.
Speaker 4: Mean because at the end, like he's waiting in that cafe hoping that she's going to show up. He does because he because he's like he was, because he he actually has attracted her, he likes her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do kind of like the way that they ended on that cafe again.
Speaker 4: Nice, it's a nice book end to the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like you get the staircase again. But I I like the exchange too between him and Renault's character in that moment, because that's where you know that like they're friends, like this, this is a friendship that's went beyond this heist, Like especially the moment where he brings them to Jean Pierre's house, like that was because we we didn't touch on it because we didn't get to it yet. But there's a moment where de Niro saves what's his name's life, Vincent's life in a way like he but he not the way you think. He thinks he's gonna shoot at the guy, but he ends up just distracting the guy. He catches the ricochet at the coliseum at the meat but he ends up saving Renault's life. You know it gives Renaul a second to shoot the guy, and then later on I feel like he's able to, you know, return the favor. At the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: After they after they helped Larry out, we cut back to Gregor and yeah, he he picks up a Russia guy and they go to a playground together, which is weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna do the meat for yeah, the exchange.
Speaker 4: So so the first uh, Jan Triska is the guy who plays that that first Russian that Gregor tries to sell the case to, and he's a chechen actor. I've done a bunch of things over in the Czech Republic. But yeah, that was a very weird scene. Uh, just the fact that showing how crazy Gregor is. And yeah, he's like, I don't like you, but look look what I'm willing to do to someone I don't even know, a kid. What do you think I'm going to do to you if you fuck me over?
Speaker 2: It establishes that, but I don't need to honestly, because it's it's it's one he ends up having a buy like a sale with these people twice, right, and and the one where they catch him at the coliseum that works for me. Him being double crossed by them, and then and then guys showing up to finally find Gregor. That's enough. I think there's moments of bloat in this film, and I think that's one of the moments where it could drag. Yeah, showcases Gregor's fucked up, but we already know he's fucked up. I got enough breadcrumbs to know he's fucked up. I don't need to see him shoot at the kid and then get that, Like, if you got double cross by the people, why are you going to go back to them again for another sale? It just felt like redundant. Yeah, well, I don't have too many people the Irish.
Speaker 3: People, Like, well, he knows the Irish people won't give him the type of money that he wants, but he can raise the price three on the Russians and he knows they're still good for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just don't need that extra moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah true. But and like I said, yeah, because he is former kJ B, so he knows what these guys have in their coffers.
Speaker 2: M Like, it just doesn't do anything for me. I can have the moment on the phone with the nameless Russian guy, uh with the ice skating girlfriend with the great but who he sacrifices by.
Speaker 3: The way, when he's yes he does when he shoots him in the head and the blood hits that window. That that's really good practical effects.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I like how he got to jump on him too, because he thought he had to jump on him, but he didn't, and then he was able to still get to jump on him.
Speaker 3: But jerking the car, he just let his foot off the bricks.
Speaker 2: First of all, you would have put the car in park, I think not if you're crazy killer. Well, you want to get a good shot on the kid, right, so you got to punk the car. What's with that crazy sniper rifle fucking pistol that he's got. He's got like the Golden eye. Fucking yeah, it looks like something.
Speaker 4: Well, I will I will tell you. There's a lot of there's a lot of double oh seven connections in this film, by the way. Yeah, well we haven't well we didn't talk about essentially, we've we've already met Seamus O'Rourke, who's played by Jonathan Price. He's in films like Brazil, who he was in with Robert de Niro. Uh, he was the bad guy in Tomorrow and never dies, and he's in the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy and uh, later on we're gonna meet Michael Lonzi plays Jean Pierre. Uh mainly, well, yeah, he's he's a journeyman actor in French films, but most people here in America will know him as Hugo Drax from Moon Breaker.
Speaker 5: M He.
Speaker 3: Looked very much like Gary Guyax.
Speaker 2: And then that makes sense. And then there's D and D ties to the you know, meeting in the pub. Maybe, so maybe Frankenheimer is a fucking.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: One of my main hobbies is painting minies like that. So like I was super nerdy out in this scene.
Speaker 4: It's funny. So you are right, Frankenheimer had a love for building miniatures, and he created a character that was a miniature artist, and that was and obviously he was cracking. The story of the forty seven ronin which I do is obviously. Yeah, it incorporates the the inspiration of the screenplay that J. D.
Speaker 2: Syke had and films that we have covered as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, And Frank Nimberg wasn't a fan of creating these miniature creations, and so it's just kind of a mixture of the two, uh, the two worlds.
Speaker 2: I like this guy. He's a retired guy. He lives by himself with ex pain, his min hes, probably smokes like a nice pipe of fucking some l s bud, and like lives with his dog, like I dig it. Yeah, and his area looks like he could take like hiking trails and stuff around that area.
Speaker 4: Oh, Jean Pierre is fucking bad. I want to learn more about it.
Speaker 2: I want to like go back to Jean Pierre's house. It's all over you know, and parties.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought they were setting it up to where like they would come and hunt them down like the Russians. Yeah, we were going to get a sword fight. I just I was just like, get out of here back.
Speaker 4: So, when I was younger, I always thought that he was the guy in the wheelchair or the guy in the chair that they were talking about at the beginning. And now the obviously now that I'm older and I can understand more, I'm like, oh no, no, that's not the case at all. This is just a contact that Vincent has that you know, maybe they serve together or whatever.
Speaker 3: So after Gregor Steel goes bad, we end up at the post office, which is, like I think, a real important scene for Sam's character, even though it might not be that important for the movie, it lets us it makes you think about Sam different the rest of the movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've all thought I think I think you think that Sam's CIA, and all the characters in the movie kind of have tried to you know, thought it a little bit too, but he never confirms it, you know, and I think this sort of shows you that as well as it shows them like he has other means to do things that he do not necessarily like wants to go to. But he's like, a right, fine, I can I have contacts that can do this, and like, yeah, maybe it shows too much information to them about who he is or what his background is. As well as us the audience is wondering is he still in the CIA or is the Ronan thing about him? Because he's not in the CIA anymore so the sea, you know, he doesn't have a master to serve necessarily.
Speaker 4: So the idea, the way that I took it as is that all of our characters are Ronan because they're all X. Yeah whatever their their xpis from their expats, from their their countries. So if the idea is that they don't longer have a master that they serve, so they're Ronan.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: I like it, but they get this his CIA contact at the post office lets them know where Gregor went, and like now, like I feel like the movie paused here for us to take a breath. But I don't know if I necessarily needed to take a breath. I think I think I would have been fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw. I'm wondering if this movie maybe didn't connect as well to when it released because it's called Ronan and it's a spy, you know, a thriller set in France, heist film, and then it's you know, starring an American. So I don't think people knew what to make of this film, even though the people that did see I think enjoyed it for the most part.
Speaker 4: You know. Yeah, I think that that is the I.
Speaker 2: Remembering issue when it came out.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, you were right, it was mixed. And once again, the issue goes back to the mixture of genres that are going on in this film and the mixture of philosophies as well, because this is not your like I said, this is not your still.
Speaker 2: Film it's like, it's not like it's a French film.
Speaker 4: Basically, it does it does be. Like I said, it's more Les Samurai more so than Mission Impossible or Adjason Bourne film. So it's it's not quite the same thing. And in like the sixties and seventies, when John Frankenheimer was really at the height of his career, this type of film would have worked fantastically. What you also have had the same type of kinetic action that you get in in this film that you could now do in the nineties, and a lot of the the the current audience of the nineties looks at the action is like being great. I think most people will remember the the car chase scenes and the explosions, and that's awesome. But I think the problem people have is with like the slower pace scenes and trying to build characters and understanding what's going on, and.
Speaker 2: You know, on a first watch, some people might be confused.
Speaker 4: Or exactly And this is also one of another one of those films similar to like Atomic Blonde or you know, some of the films we've covered recently where it does require multiple viewings to catch those little details that are being thrown out there that are being they're being they're being shown to us, they're not being told to us, so you might not necessarily get it right away.
Speaker 2: Which is good storytelling, but it's so in a film. I'm like this, sometimes it doesn't all. You don't soak it all. In first watch.
Speaker 3: I did enjoy it more of my second watch. Yeah, yeah, even though they were just like a day apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you understood the heist more, and that the where things fit I think a little bit better. So like when you see it the second time, you're like, Okay, that makes sense now, because I do remember, like Seamus and Gregor and the whole double cross, and then the Russians coming in in the end, it gets a little muddled a little bit towards the end, I'll be honest, The ending sort of, I don't know. It goes in a trajectory where I honestly like the beginning and I like the heist planning, and I like the heist. But then we get the heist done and we have a good amount of film after that, and then it's all like we now you need to find the case and it becomes more of a double cross.
Speaker 3: So we leave there at this point we're leaving Paris and we go to this little tourist town and uh like Seamus shows up and kills Larry like the Kyle sam Like there's tourist groups going around. The Russians are there, Like there's I feel like there's like three groups of people moving around. There is to keep the track of all of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there there's our there's our group. There's the Russians with Gregory Gregor trying to sell the case. And then we also have Seamus and his and we yeah, wandering around and he's trying to take the case for himself, maybe trying to do it himself so he doesn't have to pay this group that he hired.
Speaker 2: He's a piece of ship. I just thought, man, this movie really does We got le Samurai, we have forty seven row, and we got Ricochet here that we covered and in this movie. Yeah kind that's yeah, there's a lot of ties ends to older older.
Speaker 4: I will say this, this movie is better than Ricochet.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the ricochet itself is better than Ricochet. When do you ever see a ricochet? And I love this moment too later on when he's like this fucker sprayed his bullets with teflon and went through his vest. Yeah, you don't realize the moment right away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the thing is like I don't even know if like that's a real thing, but it it certainly worse for the film. They made it worse.
Speaker 3: When Gregor's running away and he always got cancer, he looks he looks like a damn toddler, Like he he jumps like a little boy and almost fall while Sam's chasing him.
Speaker 2: But maybe it's supposed to show that Gregor is not necessarily like the most capable guy in that aspect. You know, Well, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like I feel like Gregor's used to I think Gregor's used to being ahead of everyone that he doesn't like that Sam Sam got ahead of him, and now he's now that when he's caught off guard, he's not operating.
Speaker 2: He says that on the phone too, right when he calls back the next meet, he said, I'll call you in a better moment when like I have the advantage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this this also goes to his expertise. We know he's a computer guy. He has a lot of expertise. Yes, he's normally ahead of people. He is, he does, he is very capable with weapons too, But like I said, it's always with the advantage. And this is where Sam is much. I think he's much more capable than Gregor, and he's able to get ahead of him, and that really throws Gregor off, and that's why he looks kind of listless in this moment.
Speaker 2: Now, do you almost feel like we could have just like combined the Gregor and Seamous character?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, almost two evils of the same evil. It's like Gregor's cross.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost like there's too many like things happening at once. I would I would I think a Gregor Seamous mixed mixing of those characters would have been a better idea. I mean that, so where what I think would have worked better is maybe so we mix Seamus and Gregor together. So like that's the that's the person that is UH is using Deirdre as a front man, and Deirdre ends up really becoming a part of the team that is created and she and everyone's double crossed.
Speaker 2: You have been like if Gregor was the mastermind the whole time, and he was working from within the group, as if he was just a mercenary guy, but he was actually the guy who was feeding the information that Deirdre Deer just didn't know it, or maybe she does, but nobody else knows that.
Speaker 4: All the usual suspects all yeah, usual suspects.
Speaker 2: Oh that would have been the guy was in the room the whole time. And then then the double cross comes and you could stubs, but Gregor double crosses you.
Speaker 4: But it ends up being you know, like Sam constantly asking those questions is like causing a lot of friction. Oh dude, that would have been I think that would have made this film like probably much more prominent than it really is.
Speaker 2: I just think we like, we get these double crosses, it's like several of them at once, and it's just seems redundant too, because it's just like same shame. It's just a shitty character and he's willing to do whatever, and Gregor's almost the same fucking guys.
Speaker 3: It's just a lot to put in one movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, this was.
Speaker 3: Like a sixth episode HBO show. We only got one double crossing episode. Yeah, that would that would be great.
Speaker 2: You could make a cool show out of that. Like the heist itself would be a cool fucking It's like four parter, The Heist and the actual like planning and then the actual heights. You could show more stuff like with them getting the guns and then getting materials and ship like like I will say that the car, that car was put together very fast. How much time is like he was like, I need new valves and injectors and this that that doesn't just happen overnight. Even if Vincent knows Dominic Toreto, I.
Speaker 3: Think they do a good job all about family. Yeah, it is like there's a loose timeline, but they're not exactly how many days this is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me a couple of day night cycles. Then if you're not gonna give me a number on the screen, then just show me a couple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the timeline is very loose on this movie.
Speaker 2: Most of it doesn't bother me. But the fact that that like that car was up and running like the next day, I felt like and I was like, you put a nitrous system in there. And I guess Mention is just very capable.
Speaker 4: He knows well that it's okay. So Vince is able to Vincent is able to get acquire all the stuff. I'm sure he knows people. He probably has a team of people to put it in.
Speaker 2: And that and it turns out Dominic tourto was actually spending time in Paris at this moment in the time.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did it. He was the one that's put it in there.
Speaker 4: The Fast and the Furious guys were right there helping them.
Speaker 2: Out back when they actually raced cars stuff.
Speaker 4: And not going into space.
Speaker 2: I haven't even seen those newer ones.
Speaker 4: I think I stopped at Tokyo Drift, like that's where I stopped too, But I do know about the fucking them going in some good.
Speaker 2: There's some good drifting in Tokyo Drift.
Speaker 4: Tokyo Drifts actually pretty good.
Speaker 2: I thought that movie was dominant first, and it is, but it's like fun, dumb, like I've I've.
Speaker 3: Like it's like a sequel to Sling Place because the kids in it.
Speaker 2: Have you all seen.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah many many times.
Speaker 4: There my biscuits. Yeah, I seen them French, but.
Speaker 3: We could easily put that on the commentary listen with commentary. A lot of civilians get shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those people at the farm stands like earlier.
Speaker 3: What a what a shitty day to take a tour?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like people that die, the five tourists that die in this uh this thing, but.
Speaker 3: Uh Yeah, Sam, Sam gets shot and yeah, they take him over to Gary Gax's.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I like I said, I I love the Jean Pierre character, and he uh uh. Obviously like Sam is like, I'm leaking here. I got I gotta do something.
Speaker 2: That's why he's like, all right, I'll bring it in my buddy's house, who normally I wouldn't bring anybody to. Yeah, that feels like this is a this is risk and John Pierre, but I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he reassures the post office right in front of Hilm, so like, I feel like that's true. The walls a little bit, that's true.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about that heat. They are dropping the walls and that's there. They're Yeah, it's like a scale, and they're meeting each other both ways constantly in this whole heights where they're they're gravitating towards each other.
Speaker 4: I'm never showing they're they're showing a little bit of their cards to each other in a.
Speaker 2: Sense, because they're growing some trust.
Speaker 3: I've never seen the Professional. Is he playing a similar character that he did in that movie?
Speaker 4: You've never seen on the Professional?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should cover oh.
Speaker 4: Man, we definitely need to cover that. He's a hit man in that, but he's a he's a protector in that essentially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's like the cool, collective French guy that doesn't talk a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's not of his character in most of his films.
Speaker 4: This is it's a that I'm sure that The mandal The Mandalorian is based off of. I would assume that it's a little bit like Leon the Professional. Yeah, so if you've seen The Mandalorian, it has a little bit of those elements, and Leon the Professional.
Speaker 2: A bad guy who's been given a job to protect somebody.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Gary Oldman's in it. He's amazing.
Speaker 3: The Washington movie like that too, right where he's uh yeah, man on Fire.
Speaker 2: That's a great movie. You never seen that map? What we come a manifire?
Speaker 4: Hell? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice anyway.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so they're they're while they're while they're at uh, Sam does surgery on himself and this seems pretty bad ass. And I watched a lot of horror movies.
Speaker 4: Then I get queezed, Yes, I want guys appendix with the Grape group spoon.
Speaker 2: So I was wondering if that was like a reference to another film.
Speaker 4: No, I don't. I don't think so. I don't think so. But god his.
Speaker 2: Cousin, Yeah, yeah, you love that moment too. He's like, all right, now that that's done, I'm just gonna pass. That can catch me up.
Speaker 3: He's like, they're like you want to you want some booze? He's like, no booze?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not till he was done? Man, I think yeah, yeah, which you're smart, but it just shows it like Sam's been around the block, bro.
Speaker 3: And uh, as soon as they're done with that, they cut the Dedra cussing her boss out.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: I think the audience needed that, so we know.
Speaker 4: We know that, just so we know that, like she's not Yes, she has been working for Seamus, but she's not necessarily on Seamus's side.
Speaker 3: They have different character alignments.
Speaker 4: Why do you have to kill Larry? And it's like yeah, and he's he's blaming her for the failure of getting the case, like, yeah, the only reason I hired these guys because through your fucking contact.
Speaker 3: But he also never answers her like why did he kill Larry? They don't have to?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And also like so did Seamus hire Gregor? Because Seamus is technically behind the hiring of Gregor and h Spence, who was a fuck up. So is it just because they were cheap and like, but did he know that Gregor was gonna fuck them over?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's something there's there's a part of Seamus that like, I'm just really it doesn't make sense, Like there there's something that he knows that we're not privy to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think if he didn't, if he plans on not paying them, he would have got better people, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, it just happens that Sam is very capable and and Vincent and Larry are capable, but the other two guys that are hired are.
Speaker 2: Not to get the fucking case.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say this, Gregor is capable, he's just a he's a backstabber.
Speaker 2: Ye, we just don't know where. At some point Shame was going to double cross them too. It had to be that. Yeah, absolutely, I doubt that was going to be able to just pay everybody and then everybody's going to be in their way as as much as she thought she was going to be able to. Like when she tells them that I think she believes that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did is being double cross too.
Speaker 2: I think she's only been given certain pieces of the of the puzzle. When she's when it's you know, when they deem her lucky enough to have that information. Yeah, but yeah, he patches himself up. We get that cool like moment of the plot behind the forty seven Ronin and there's just a little kind of tangent, not necessarily, but it's still a cool scene.
Speaker 4: I will say this is my first.
Speaker 2: It's like a poetic nature to the scene. But he does drag a little bit, like it slows down the film.
Speaker 4: In a way. So this is this is my This is my intro to the understanding of what the forty seven Ronin was because I never knew this story until me to watch this movie. And obviously this turned me down to a road I didn't even know check a lot of yeah, I didn't know either. This is this is my introduction to this Japanese philosophy and obviously is the start of my love for Japanese film and for me, Uh, the gunfight at the OK Corral, that's that is our version of the forty seven ronin. That's the So once I understood that, I was like, oh, that this is like their their version of that. This is there the story that is told in Japanese lored over and over and over again, and so yeah, it's just kind of cool being introduced to it through this film.
Speaker 2: Now, Matt, do you think it's heavy handed though? Because the movie's already.
Speaker 3: Called so I'm already familiar with it. But I'm wondering if I if I came into this movie not knowing what a fucking Ronan was and not hurting the.
Speaker 2: From nineteen ninety eight, I didn't know it was, you know, who knows what?
Speaker 3: Who knows the pop culture references people have coming in because there was you know, the Internet wasn't big yet, so like you just knew what you you know, like what you just tried.
Speaker 2: And you're a history buff and you also you like sword stuff, so I feel like you.
Speaker 4: So yeah, coming to this in twenty twenty five, people would be like this is very ham fisted, But in nineteen ninety eight, I would guarantee that most Americans watching this had no idea what the fuck a Ronan was or the story of the forty seven Ronan at all. Yeah, exactly. And and so when JD. Syke, who was the screenwriter, these were the stories that he read the Shogun novel, the James Glovell novel, and he had read about the forty seven Ronan and wanted to create a modern version of that. And I to a degree, I think he's successful. But maybe because the idea that like these stories aren't really well known in Western culture. This is why we have a scene like this here.
Speaker 3: There's a really good line here where he says, uh, whenever there is doubt, there isn't any doubt, and that that kind of stuck with me, Like the fact that you doubt is yeah, if you if you're if you're not unsure, fucking don't do it like yeah, And I mean that's just good advice for any one.
Speaker 2: I got you, Like, you can't have doubt about having doubt, it's you already have the doubt. So then that's your feeling.
Speaker 3: Basically saying, trust your gut if something's telling you that it's wrong, there's something wrong, like don't.
Speaker 2: Don't, which we see several times in Sam Sam's character where he feels something's off, you know, yes, and doesn't want.
Speaker 4: To go along. Well, I mean the whole movie, Sam knows something's off. That why he's always questioning things. He's always very careful of certain characters. That's why he's testing people. He's always doubting things and questioning things, and that's what keeps him alive and keeps the people that he cares about alive.
Speaker 2: And so now once he recoups, they find they find Deirdre and Gregor's location because of the case. Correct, they realized that the case was a skatecase. They back to the Russians.
Speaker 4: Right because the idea was because him and Vincent are are the last remaining two and they're figuring out like, so how do we how do we find out where Gregor is? And when they realized, well, he's selling it to the Russians, like we don't have to find how they had to find the Russians.
Speaker 2: Again because they have the chase scene. I forgot what that was from. Was that still from the cell phone? Were they still using the cell phone triangulation at that point because there's a chase scene in.
Speaker 4: Between before, Yes, yes, that's what it was initially, So initially it was them with the found no hold on a second.
Speaker 2: Then later there's a chase scene with Gregor in the car and where they chase Gregor what's his name? And Dedre right, am I wrong?
Speaker 3: Right at Gregor down and I think Dedre kidnaps Gregor in front of them, like they come out of the house together. I don't know how they got.
Speaker 2: And then that's yeah, that's when they and then that that's when the car flips off the bridge and then they shoot at it and it blows up and then but everybody gets out. Anyway, that would have been a good moment for me for like DJ to die.
Speaker 3: Would be yeah, like dmage uh D is driving like pretty nonchalantly, but the whole time Sam's driving like Robert de Niro looks like he's trying to hold the ship in.
Speaker 2: And I don't know they do. They all looked like they were driving for real. Like DD's face look worried, and Ert.
Speaker 4: He's like, well, you know, he's like yeah, he's got his hands very tight, like he's so I'll talk. So now we're at the chasing, I'll talk.
Speaker 2: I will just say real quick. It does make sense because realistic, like you don't make big fucking movements with the wheel like do you see in a lot of movies, right they're like, so him just having his hands tight is more like a race car driver. And in that moment. That's kind of how you're gonna be white knuckled.
Speaker 4: So here here's how this scene, how these scenes played out. What was which is really great one Deirdre is worried because she is being essentially being held at gunpoint and she's running for her life because Seamus is gonna kill her if she doesn't run. You have de Niro, who is Sam, who is obviously he's going after. But our stunt drivers are two main sunt drivers. They're professional race car drivers. We had there was like ne f one driver. There was a i think like a sports car driver. That was all that was also in this. And so are our actors, uh, And they were sitting over in essentially the they were in the opposite side of the car, and our actors are mimicking their movements and how they're driving because our actors, like so they had dual steering wheels, dual pedals, and the actors didn't have control of the car. The professional stunt race car drivers did, and so they were just mimicking their movements. And as far as like the minimal like steering wheel movements and yeah or like yeah, it's it is tough. And you also had so they're gunning it. They're going one hundred miles an hour, and they also had a mixture of all the other people that are on the road. They're also sun drivers, but they're driving at a slower speed, which makes the pace look even more frantic. So they're driving i think at like forty miles an hour and in a in a set style.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's like the other cars are going even faster.
Speaker 4: Right, and so it creates this like frantic look and it looks great. And this is this is one of the great chase scenes in cinema history, up there with the French Connection or Bullet if you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great neck for sure. And there's a lot a lot going on. If you watch all the back and forth when they're going down the highway like the wrong way, it's there's a lot of tough driving there.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of yeah it down the streets in this in this chase scene.
Speaker 2: Remind me of the Matrix too a little bit.
Speaker 3: Hit me on the edge of my seat, like literally I was like.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no, yeah, yeah, And it's this is probably what we'll remember from the film is this particular scene, which is you know, a good like ten minute chase, and it's it is exciting, it's fun, it's it's crazy the way it.
Speaker 2: Ends when they hit the the car off the edge, and I like how they're like shooting down below. They can't quite get down there, so they can't get to the people in the car, you know. So yeah, they're like ship, we can't get to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shooting at like so the crash causes a lot of fluid, the leak, and you have Vincent and Sam shooting at the car, which ignites that fluid.
Speaker 2: But then they can't anymore because like there's other bystanders getting the way, like the construction guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they're they're trying the construction guys are trying to pull them out.
Speaker 2: Is just a horrible Save that hot blonde, quick, save the dirty. Yeah, very blonde. She's very attractive in this. I actually like her better when she's not dressed up. I like her better when she's in the pub and ship.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, same here, dude.
Speaker 2: She's a planning stage.
Speaker 4: Like I said, she's not a like a bombshell. But there's there's a sexiness too. There's a sexiness to her that I really love.
Speaker 2: And like we said before. She's assertive in a moment, and you don't view her as like the female, like she's just one of the crews.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, and that I think that that's what that's what attracted her to this role she wanted. She she's just one of the guys essentially, but.
Speaker 2: She still does have that sex appeal when you know, you know complex. It makes her character because she is a she is a female. She can use those feminine ways as she has to, especially in this kind of world, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, And this is where because obviously our guys escape, and this is where Benson and Sam are realizing that we don't have to find Gregor. We just have to find the Russians and we'll figure out like what we have to do. And this is what sets up our our final the case, if you will. Okay, now, now now that we're talking about it, now, I figured this is this is what's going.
Speaker 2: On the showdown at the ice skating rink.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so there's a giant skating billboard behind them while they're at the car shop talking to the Russians. The clue it is this giant billboard behind well, the.
Speaker 4: Guy does give them a clue. It's like, well, if you're looking for Russians, you might find them at this ice skating show. And it just happens that there's an advertisement for that ice skating show right across the way.
Speaker 3: It's like the dungeon Master like was giving small clues, and the small clues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's like, the players aren't getting it. I gotta drop a real nugget, like an MPC is in point the way exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: But we have so are our Russians here that we haven't talked about yet. We have Fodor Atkin who plays Mickey. He's actually a journeyman French actor and people might know him. He's the French language voice dub for Marvel Disney characters played by William Hurt, Ben Kingsley, Hugo Weaving and others. So like a lot of our Marvel characters, he's the French dubb artist for them. And the skater Natasha Kirilova is played by Katerina Witt, who is a two time Olympic champion for East Germany, both in the eighty four Sarajevo and the eighty eight Calgary Winter Olympics for figure.
Speaker 2: Skating MM she's got buns of steel.
Speaker 4: She does have buns of steal. She's hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she got shot though, so a little young too, looks like for dating a soulder guy.
Speaker 4: Well yeah yeah, he's exactly how.
Speaker 2: Young but she definitely looks twenties compared to him. But he was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah, because he doesn't care about her. She's just an ends to.
Speaker 3: Like I took it different. I took it that he does care about her, But no, he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Is that important he shoots.
Speaker 4: Him, no problem, He cares about the He walks out there and the case, and the case is more important than the than his figure skater girlfriend or what.
Speaker 2: He doesn't even weigh the situation that he just shoots. He makes a decision right away. The case. What is in the case that's so important? You think launch coades like the same thing from Atomic Bond, Like.
Speaker 3: This suitcase from Iron Man two.
Speaker 2: That's something to look at.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean it's the same thing with like with the pulp fiction or kiss Me Deadly, Like, we don't know what the fuck is in the case. It's just this Nero does. Well, de Niro knows, but we don't. We Gregor did not know what's in that case? Well, obviously Gregor knows what's in the case, because why would he be working so hard to steal it so he can sell it. Yeah, it's just we as the audience have no idea what the hell is in that case.
Speaker 3: I like, when they're trying to get back into the ice skate ring, we hear the we went to high school together line again.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Vincent.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Vincent uses the same line that Danira used on him later, tangulation.
Speaker 3: They have to beat that guy up, and Vince's like, I can't. I can't. I couldn't live with myself. Yeah, you have to, I can't do. Yeah, such a good thrid.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's so great.
Speaker 2: I felt bad when Vincent gets shot too, because I was like, oh fuck, Like he gets shot pretty bad, like twice.
Speaker 4: Sham it. Yeah yeah, Shaman's shoots him twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're like fuck. And then we see Sam get shot. But I love this moment where he can't because Sam was gonna. Sam was done for in that moment. I thought Sam was bluffing at first, like he's got to take one on the shoulder just to glure him in, but he was really you know, hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's his shooting hand too, so it's he's fucked in that moment before, Well, Vincent just comes in and saves.
Speaker 3: The day before that, they double crossed Gregor again. Gregor thinks he he has a snipe for on his on the the salesman's girlfriend out there ice skating, and he's confident that he will pay him and let him leave or because he's not gonna his girlfriend gets shot, and we find out that that's not true. So even though the case is very important, apparently it's not important enough just to pay for. But the graphics that they use, the the practical effects they use for this headshot, I thought looked good.
Speaker 2: He's like the bullet was just lodged right in there. Yeah, like you don't even get to see blood. Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they quick. I'm sure if they lingered on it, it might not look as good as I think it does. But with the editing, I was like, damn it was.
Speaker 2: It was definitely like because you don't anticipate it, I think too, And then you weren't. You're wondering like did that come from the sniper? Where did it come from? Because they don't show the gun shoot it right, like it's just shot.
Speaker 3: After he gets a shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's not like you you never see the Russian shoot him and then there's that guy that's with him. So I was always wondering, like, oh, did the other guy show up and shoot Gregor? Like or did our guy decide to shoot Gregor?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I think they have to show the gun because Gregor starts to he starts to realize, oh no, I'm not I'm in danger like he thought he had it locked in with the with the.
Speaker 2: But I never remember a gun trained on him. So that's why I was like when the gun, when the bullet hits him in the head, all of a sudden, I'm like, oh, ship, where did that come from.
Speaker 3: I was surprised that the skater got shot.
Speaker 2: I was, ye, well he never RelA information we did we Yeah, we had said we saw the sniper in the rap.
Speaker 3: Gregor wasn't Yeah I saw it. I like the movie. The movie audience member in me was like, oh damn, they did it. They really did it well.
Speaker 4: I that also makes the scene with the uh the when he's in the car with that first rush in and he's ready to shoot the kid like he's not bluffing. He was going to shoot that kid, and so the idea of him having a sniper in the rafters essentially he thought he had the upper hand, that he was targeting something that he thought was more the most important thing in Mikhal's life, which was a skater and Gregor missing. I guess misunderstood that, like he was saying, this is the most important thing for him. He's going to protect her at all costs so that I will be safe. But in reality, whatever's in that case is the most important thing now.
Speaker 3: So now they're now the whole ice skating ring is like in a tussle, like every everyone. And I really thought, because like uh Sam, Sam and the team are going in, right, was all hell breaks loose? And I was like, oh no, they're gonna get blamed for this. Uh yeah, Like I really I thought that was the setup where I thought they were about to get have to fight the cops and all kinds of stuff, and they kind of do, but uh yeah, Like I was like, this is going horribly wrong and they're not even there yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then we find out that Seamus is there. He he's dressed up as a police officer and he ends up shooting Michale and his bodyguard takes the case and they realize that he's out there. They get out to like where they need to go. And this is like the last like Little Chase and Seamus.
Speaker 3: They he's trying to make it the he's trying to make it to get away car, but Sam gets there first and talks her to just leave him with out ing yeah, which you know, like, I I'm surprised, you Like, I think that's a good happy medium because he's like he's not killing her, but he doesn't expect her to help him. He's like just leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the more civilians get shot in the scene too.
Speaker 2: I feel like at the moment where you think she's not even gonna get out of there, but she does get out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she finds a way. She just fucking high tails it out of there.
Speaker 2: And it was Sam's people coming, you see. That was the guy again.
Speaker 4: But and this this also, I think pays more to that the theory that he's actually really in the CIA still m Well, he.
Speaker 2: Works somehow through like on the outskirts. I don't know somehow, Like, yeah, it's interesting. I could live in this world a little bit longer, if not with these characters, like I could see like Jean Renaud's character, like I could follow him to his next job, or I don't know, there's just I like this world.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest. I would love more Sam and Vincent together. Yes, I think those two, those two together, I want to see more missions with them.
Speaker 2: I think they would be great. From from fucking Uncharted Uncharted. Yeah, absolutely, in a way. I do like their their relationship, and I like the way it leads, it lens uh it ends with them sort of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like I said, we we end up having the whole situation. Uh Vincent gets shot, Uh Sam chan Us, Yeah, the Russians get killed. Uh. Seamous shoots Sam in the shoulder, and we're thinking, like, oh ship, you know this is it's Seamus is gonna win. And then Vincent you know, drags himself essentially we thought was dead, and he drags himself to kill Seamus and saves the day. And this is where we we actually don't see the conclusion of that. We just we end up cutting to the cat cafe that we started out our movie in. They're both benches up. We see that obviously both of them survived and they're talking about the events, and Vincent asked him, was like, what actually was in that case? Like I don't remember, you know, going back to the the idea of the the the the Spy Credo essentially, and rule number two is that you don't remember anything. Yeah, exactly. And there he goes to reach for his his walls, like I I can't even reach for my wall. It's like, don't worry, I got this one. And they remain friends they departed.
Speaker 2: He says it's okay, I'll get the next one, meaning like I do plan to see you again?
Speaker 4: Yes, And I think I think I think Sam wants to see him again too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if for like a bite to eat in a cafe again like this or something. Not a job now, absolutely, but.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, absolutely. And we also see that Girdra is doing what Sam did at the beginning of the film, is she's observing everything that's going on and she I think she wants to make contact with Sam again, but she's also very hesitant in doing so. And after they leave and she's just kind of watching. And that's where we get the Vincent's little monologue there at the end, talking about the credo essentially, of what a spy is and like what they have to live by.
Speaker 2: Do you think it makes contact after like we going dark?
Speaker 4: Well, that's so there was a lot of there was actually several different ideas that the director was thinking, and this is what they chose, and so I based off of what they chose, I think that she does not make contact with him again, but there is this there's this attraction and a longing to be to connect with Sam again. Maybe somewhere down the line they do, but that is we just don't know that. It leaves it with like a little bit of an ambiguous ending there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like this is the uh, there could be a sequel if we get the money, Like yeah, you.
Speaker 4: So, I know. I actually don't think that that's what they were going for because there there was so there's a couple of different.
Speaker 2: Alternations showing everybody scattering in the wind in a way because much like spy movies, that's what happens. People go there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels a little bit more like Ocean's eleven at the end, like where everyone just kind of goes their own way. And although obviously that did have sequels, yes, but it that intention then it doesn't lead.
Speaker 2: It doesn't lean entirely on like a romantic side. It's like, yes, this could have happened, but they're not gonna be because they can't be.
Speaker 4: Lesser film would have had them reconnect and like they drive off into the sunset together. That's not what's gonna happen. Yeah, but that's that's our film. A little bit of post production after filming was complete with the main scenes, Frankenheimer and cinematographer Robert Frazy filmed all the wide shots of the action scenes with some three hundred sun drivers, including former F one driver Jean Pierre Jacques Jareer. Normally, this would be done with what's called a second unit, which is a group that will have a director that answers to the main director and captures specialized footage like white shots or action scenes that don't necessarily involve the main cast. But for this film, either due to the budgets or to maintain a certain standard, they chose not to have a second unit, so it was done by our main cinematographer and the director, our main director. There was an alternate ending filmed in which Deirdre is kidnapped and killed by the IRA members that felt she betrayed them after Sam and Vincent left the cafe, but tests audience hated it so much we were giving the ending that we got. The film debuted at the Venice Film Festival on September twelfth, nineteen ninety eight, and gained a wide release on September twenty fifth, nineteen ninety eight, and for many critics, it was considered a return to form for John Frankenheimer. Well received well critically, it did not perform well in the box office, making only seventy million dollars off of a fifty five million dollar budget. Films usually need to make two or three times their budget to be considered a financial success, and it garnered no major award nominations. But just before I give my final thoughts on the film, how do.
Speaker 2: You not nominate like just that the chase sequences.
Speaker 4: No, there's not really a category for that. I don't even think there's a category as far as Yeah, there's not really an Oscar award thing now they are working on that now. I think there will be a stunt awards coming out as far as like for an Oscar, like best Stunt or Best Stunt Work.
Speaker 2: Long ago, A long.
Speaker 4: Ass time ago, even going back to like the like at the beginning of the sixties because there was being waited. Even going back to like the late twenty the twenties and thirties, there was a lot of stunt work exactly there should there should have always been this category. But we're finally getting to the point where they are recognizing that.
Speaker 2: We remember silent, We're meant to believe that that stunt was done by the octor, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And in some cases, yes it is. But like as far as like actually best stunt work, I think that is going to be a category here coming up very soon. It's just not the reality. But there is great stunt work that was done here. But as far as our rating system goes, we have at the top instant classic, buy it, rent it, just watch the trailer, or never ever watch a ship. And my final thoughts on brown In. As a young man, this was a regular watch for me, but I'm surprised to find that this isn't a film that's talked about much or that a lot of people don't really know about. To me, this is a great mixture of new school and old school, combining fast paced nineties action with the slow burn of neo noor aesthetics. Well, I enjoy the disparity in pacing. I can see where that could be a detriment for some. The ensemble cast is perfect for me, with a good mixture of great established actors, great character actors, and some relative newcomers. The Sam Ambisson relationship is enjoyable to me, and I would love to see them on more adventures together. As we talked about, the car chase is incredible, deserves to be in the same conversation as the Chase and Bullet, or the French Connection and any of the other great car chases in cinema. Another spy film in which we have a mcguffin which ultimately we never see what it is, and you know, all the things we talked about, like this film just this also is reminiscent of Copland, This great ensemble cast that is just goes way under the radar that not a lot of people talked about. And I think it's like a little bit of like what we talked about, maybe some of the pacing issues or characters that maybe should be merged, and it just it doesn't fully work. And not that it's not a good film. It's a great film, but maybe it's just like these little things that pile up into something that where it just does not get recognized as the great film that it is. And so with that, my rating is a by it slash instant classic. Mister Matt, it's your first time watching this, what are your final thoughts on Ronan?
Speaker 3: I agree with you the parts that definitely stick out is the car chase scenes. But I also I really we enjoyed the gunfights. I felt like the gunfights weren't stylized. They felt real and gritty and stuck with me after I watched it. The beginning was rough. I think it felt clunky. I know we're supposed to be made to feel frustrated for saying like Sam's supposed to be frustrated, so we feel frustrated too, and like I get it, but like that's just not an enjoyable experience. But like after after the they get to the hotel and start casing the hotel and get ready for the actual heist, I think the movie really takes a turn. I hope people watching it for the first time let their self get through that beginning. The pacing is a little off. I feel like we're either dialed up till eleven or dialed down to two. That's like there's no real medium. I did enjoy the scenery, Like, I don't think this movie would have been as good if it wasn't in Europe. If like, if this had been in an American city, I think it would have felt totally different and not to the movies benefit. Well. Also, the the acting. I enjoy Sam, I enjoy hanging out with Sam, I enjoy Dedrah. I think they're The love story, though, was a bit forced. I would have liked it. I find let them make out or whatever, But like at the at the end, like I think they're trying to project that he has fallen in love with her, and I think it should have been more like he has a deep friendship with her, just like everyone else in the group, and that you might be able to read it that way. I just feel like that's not the way they wanted us to read it. But that being said, I'm really glad I watched this. I probably will watch this again.
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give this a rented slash by it. And if if any of your friends like action movies and they haven't heard of this movie, let them know about it, Hydro Bird, what's you're writing for this movie?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: My my review is pretty similar to you guys. Uh you know, I just I think the stunt work and driving sequences are just jaw dropping. They still hold up. Now, I was worried that they won and I was like, well do they still hold up? And I do think that they kind of hold them. They propped the movie up a little bit, like, but there's still movie here. There's plot, there's good acting, there's a good cast, good characters. Characters aren't necessarily like deep, but there's something there they're like. They not to say that they're not deeper. There's you don't get a lot, but there maybe there's a deepness. But we only scratch the surface with some of them, unfortunately, but they are acted well. Like Larry, I still feel like Larry has a life outside this movie, and he has wants and needs and likes. He just doesn't express them all through words, but we get to see them. He likes to smoke, he goes out shopping, he's gotta taste for cars, driving food. We get little bits of things with people that like, you know, whiskey or like stuff like that, cigarettes, little bits of character. There's a lot of showing not telling in this cinematography I think is amazing and it showcases France. I thought in a good way too. It's not your, you know, everyday France locations. It's not the touristy stuff. I like these bits where like the cars go off road in a moment where you're just like, oh shit, we're going off road and we're cutting through the woods and I forget like I'm even in France. I'm just like, wore this. This looks cool, Like where's this wyoming? You know, like you know, I don't even know. It's just a cool I like the setting and the sets. They all feel real, you know, it's all on location. None of it felt like Hollywood set design. It all just felt like real areas that they filmed, and I appreciate that. It lends an authenticity to this film where you feel like you're watching a real like like spy heist movie, like this is just taking place where a fly on the wall, if you will. I really like the plot and like be intrigued that builds with it, the double crosses and the swerves and the plot. Some of it's extra, but for the most part. I mean, that's what we're here for. It's it's gonna be like this kind of tight woven story that's gonna zig and zag a little bit and keep us on our toes. As well as the characters in it. I did like this sort of like spy thriller asque heisk milange if you will. I think him paying homage to several genres and films that inspire him, or that he likes doing his own version of I think it's cool. I like that this movie kind of weighs a little bit out on his sleeve in a way, but it's its own thing. Uh I. And I said I'd like the characters, like we don't get a lot of them, but I like them. I like Deirdre, I like Larry, I really like Vincent, and Sam's a likable guy, and even like the little bits in between, like his his guy that he goes to and Seamus. These other characters are Russians. There's not much going on there, but for the most part though, it's all fleshed out. I I do like the beginning, but I do have issues with the pace as well. Matt. I think there are moments where we just dip we get some really high end action scenes and then we get moments of a little bit of drag or redundancy here and there. Maybe that blowed the film just a little bit. It could just be a little tight. This movie could have been dialed in a little bit on some certain things, and I think it could have been talked about more and held up higher. I like, I wish we got a little bit more from the cast, like especially Larry, he's just very quiet. It's a little long, like I said, and you know, drags here and there. It's a little anti climactic towards the end, like the whole showdown at the at the skating rink just felt a little extra. And then it's all kind of tied up very neatly in a way like yeah, not everybody's like gonna have the happiest ending, Like yeah, we can't be friends all the time, and you know my love interest is but she's still out there, she's still living her life, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, you're nothing together, but and you got the bad guy at the end of the day, and he got the case. So I don't know, I think it played a little safe there on the end, and it's missing something that I just can't put my finger on, but that would make it an instant classic, you know what I mean. There's just something missing. That's the reason maybe why other people don't pass this movie around as much. But that's what we do here at the Cine of Me Goes. And I think this is a perfect film for us, because it is a really good movie that you should check out. And I do think it's one of the last really great fucking DeNiro rolls. If you want to see him like kicking ass and doing like leading man type shit, yeah, this is it. And this is outside a little bit outside his wheelhouse too, And I thought he showed some different range here that I appreciate. He still brought the stuff we know him for, the witty comebacks and you know, the assertiveness and the confidence. But I thought it was cool to see DeNiro's in France. You know, I don't know. But with all that said, I'm going to give Ronan. I'm going to give it a buy. From nineteen ninety eight, Ronan alould buy. I think this is worth owning. And yeah, I think it's definitely worth owning.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, all right, everyone's pretty high on it, all right, Berg, next week is your pick? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: It's my pick and we're keeping it Japanese themed with nineteen ninety three's Rising Sun based on the Michael Brighton book.
Speaker 4: Oh, it will be our second film the base off of Michael Freton novel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What was the first thirteen thirteenth word? That's right, I forget about that one. Eaters of the Dead is the name of the book.
Speaker 4: That's correct. Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 2: It's a good movie. Have you seen the movie.
Speaker 3: I'm really excited for the movie next week. I've heard good things.
Speaker 2: It's from my.
Speaker 3: Sean Connery's last great movie.
Speaker 2: So then it has other themes like with this movie, then we can connect it. Cool. Yeah, so that'll be our pick for next week. It's a Rise Thin Sun from nineteen ninety three. It's starring Wesley Snipes and Sean Conrie.
Speaker 4: If you're looking, we've got a lot of returning champions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got several.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, Well, we all have other projects around here, myself included. You can find me on YouTube Circle of Drinks podcasts. Me and my co host Andy We talked about all sorts of different things, movies, news, topics, philosophy, What name you? And you can find us on Instagram, Circle of Drinks podcasts and on x app podcast cj BG. You do some fun stuff. What do you do?
Speaker 2: I do? I do another show called The Cut Above Horror Review, where we rate and review horror movies each week. John Jacquelin and myself. We have a great time. Sometimes Rob Zombie joins us. You know, we have guests. It's fun. If you like horror movies. I just want to hear people talk about films. Check us out on all the podcasters. You can find us on socials, on Instagram at a cut above one word, dot r Underscore Review, on x at a Horror and on Facebook at a Cut Above Horror Review. What about you, Matt? You have a side quest that you do here and there? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, I own and manage a historical fencing school in Jacksonville, Florida. We focus on historical European martial arts. We do rapier, long longsword and army sword and buckler. So if you're in the northeast Florida area, you should swing by. Also, we have we have a podcast talking about historical fencing. Our backlog is still up it's called Swords and Stereo. So if you want to learn about historical fencing, go check it out.
Speaker 4: And berg if they want to watch more cinemigos or listen to more cinemigos, where where can they find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram at Cinemigo's Underscore podcast, or you can send us an email at the Cinamigos podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: You can also reach us on x at Tres Cinnemigos t R E S ce I E M I G O S, or on our letterbox and amigos and make sure to give us those five star reviews and leave some comments on the episodes either on Spotify or speaker or wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Speaker 3: We're also on Facebook, on Facebook dot com, slash c and amigos.
Speaker 4: What were you doing back here, lady? I never walked into a place I don't know how to walk out of. Then why would you walk into that van? You know the reason?
Speaker 2: Hey, you badger, we ain't got no budges, we don't need no vudges. I don't have to show you on U stinking