Speaker 1: You've probably heard all the buzz about AI, right, but have you ever stopped to think how it really shakes up something as well complex and traditional as finance.
Speaker 2: It's a huge question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get ready for a deep dive into how artificial intelligence is fundamentally transforming financial markets. We're talking subtle shifts, but also maybe some paradigm altering possibilities. Definitely, our mission today for you, our listener, is really to give you a shortcut to being well informed on this. We're unpacking insights from a key guide Artificial Intelligence in Finance, a Python based guide by Eves Hilfish.
Speaker 2: It's a solid source.
Speaker 1: We want to extract the most important nuggets, the surprising facts, maybe some genuine aha moments that'll make you look at finance in a totally new light.
Speaker 2: And it's a rigorous guide, quite practical. It looks at how AI algorithms are actually being applied, how they're tested, and yeah, how they're shaping the future of financial intelligence. Okay, so we'll cover the basics, the foundational stuff at AI, look at some really impressive real world.
Speaker 1: Successes like the non finance ones first exactly.
Speaker 2: Then we'll compare you know, autriditional financial theories against these modern data driven approaches. Will peek into AI power trading, the mechanics of it, right, and then finally consider the competitive landscape. It's pretty high stakes.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good, So let's start at the beginning, then, AI, machine learning, deep learning. It feels like a jumble of buzzwords sometimes, can you help us sort of unpack what each really means, how they fit together?
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, think of artificial intelligence AI as the really grand umbrella. It's the broad field focused on building machines that can accomplish complex goals. You know, machines that can think or learn in some way.
Speaker 1: Okay, the big picture, right.
Speaker 2: The machine learning mL, that's a powerful subset of AI. This is where systems learn from data without being explicitly programmed. For every single task, they find patterns themselves.
Speaker 1: Got it learning from data?
Speaker 2: And then within mL, we've got deep learning DL. And this is where honestly the magic really happens for finance right now. DL uses these things called neural networks with multiple hidden layers, yeah, layers of processing. It lets them grasp incredibly complex kind of non linear patterns in data. Things humans might miss. This approach, it's proven incredibly powerful for estimation classification, even something called reinforcement learning, which I know we'll get into later.
Speaker 1: Okay, so deep learning is key for finance because of that complexity handling. And when we talk about AI's capabilities, I mean, the success stories aren't just theoretical, are there. They've been absolute game changers elsewhere. It makes you really wonder about finance precisely.
Speaker 2: Just look at Deep Mind's alphag and maybe even more impressively, Alpha zero.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yes, the game playing AI.
Speaker 2: Right in twenty seventeen. Alpha zero is designed is a general gameplaying AI. It could master different complex board games. But here's the really revolutionary part. It started from a completely blank slate. Blank slate, yeah, what researchers call a tabia rasa approach. It got no prior domain knowledge, no human strategies fed into it, just the basic rules of the game. Just the rule, just the rules. And yet in less than twenty four hours of playing against itself, it achieved superhuman performance in Chess SHOWGI and Go.
Speaker 1: Twenty four hours, that's insane.
Speaker 2: It utterly crushed world champion programs, even Stockfish, which everyone thought was the top computer chess engine. Alpha zero won one hundred and fifty five games against stockfish lost only six out of a thousand.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But the real aha moment here isn't just that it won. It's that it didn't just copy human masters. It discovered entirely new strategiers, things humans took centuries to figure out or maybe you've never even thought of.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, so Alpha zero literally invented strategies humans never conceived, just by playing itself. That's mind boggling. It is makes you wonder, doesn't it? What unseen patterns and AI could find in say, global bond markets, if it started with zero human preconceptions about how they should work.
Speaker 2: Exactly the right question to ask.
Speaker 1: But okay, behind this incredible algorithmic cleverness, there's something often overlooked, the unsung hero, the hardware.
Speaker 2: Oh you're spot on. The sheer computational muscle powering this progress is absolutely crucial. We're talking graphics processing units GPUs, mainly from Nvidia, and also tensor processing units TPUs, which Google.
Speaker 1: Develop right, not your standardships, not at all.
Speaker 2: They have these massively parallel architectures. They're just perfectly suited for the really intensive calculations needed for AI. Algorithms, especially neural networks.
Speaker 1: And that makes a difference.
Speaker 2: Well, it's dramatically driven down the cost per unit of compute power. Hilpish mentions a powerful GPU back in twenty twenty was around what fourteen hundred dollars. That's orders of magnitude cheaper than comparable hardware just a decade earlier.
Speaker 1: So it's more accessible.
Speaker 2: Exactly. This democratization of AI computing power means cutting edge research isn't just for the Googles and deep minds. It's accessible even to individual academic researchers, smaller firms.
Speaker 1: That's a great point about accessibility. But some experts argue, don't they that the real bottleneck isn't just raw compute power anymore. Maybe it's the quality of the data or the ingenuity of the algorithms themselves. Do you see a future where hardware kind of hits a ceiling and the focus shifts entirely to smarter software, better data.
Speaker 2: That's a really important question. It's definitely a dynamic interplay, isn't it. Hardware keeps advancing. Moore's law isn't quite dead yet for AI chips maybe, but yeah, the focus on more efficient algorithms and crucially, high quality, diverse data is absolutely paramount. You really need both. Smarter algorithms can sometimes do more with less hardware, but complex problems still need power.
Speaker 1: It's both got it.
Speaker 2: And speaking of intelligence itself, the AI researcher Max Tegmark he defines it quite simply, just the ability to accomplish complex goals.
Speaker 1: Okay, simple definition. So alpha zero by mastering go chess and SHOWGI, it's definitely intelligent by that measure.
Speaker 2: Precisely, this leads us nicely to the concept of artificial narrow intelligence or ANI. Oh. Okay, this just refers to an AI agent that exceeds human expert level capabilities. But and this is crucial, only in a narrow field.
Speaker 1: So alpha zero is an a ANDI for those specific board.
Speaker 2: Games, exactly like a super specialist doctor who's the best in the world at one very specific thing, but only that thing. For finance, think about an algorithmic stock trading AI. If it consistently generated let's say, one hundred percent net return per year on its capital, but only within a very specific market niche, that would be an ANI. Okay, it's not about general human like intelligence. It's about hyper specialized superhuman performance in one area.
Speaker 1: Right, we've explored this huge power of AI in these narrow applications. But what if this incredible intelligence wasn't limited to just one domain. What happens when we look beyond ANI towards the theoretical paths to broader intelligence maybe even super intelligence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fascinating, slightly unnerving direction. While deep learning is what's transforming finance today, researchers are definitely looking at more radical futures for intelligence itself, like what Well. Two active research fields mentioned are, first, brain machine hybrids, you know, integrating biological brains directly with machines. Think Elon Musk's Neuralink project, that kind of neurotech.
Speaker 1: Okay, merging human and machine, right.
Speaker 2: And the second is whole brain emulation or WBE. This is really ambitious. The idea is to completely map a human brain structure, every neuron, every scene, apps through incredibly advanced scanning, and then run that whole structure as software on vastly more powerful hardware.
Speaker 1: Wow, run a brain on a computer essentially.
Speaker 2: Yes. Now, both are still very much in the early active research stages, very theoretical in many ways, but they really push the boundaries of what intelligence could even mean, and they could one day influence fields like finance in ways we can barely imagine.
Speaker 1: Right now, that does sound like something st out of a science fiction novel. But okay, what if this potential superintelligence, what if it had its own sort of instrumental subgoals, things it needed to do to achieve its main goal. But maybe these sub goals weren't quite aligned with.
Speaker 2: Well us, Ah, now you're getting into the really intriguing and potentially scary territory. This is where Nick Bostrom's famous paper clip maximizer thought experiment comes in. It resonates so widely for a reason.
Speaker 1: The paper clips right tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, imagine an AI. Its singular main goal is simply to maximize the number of paper clips produced. Sounds harmless, maybe even a bit silly.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, pretty benign.
Speaker 2: But Bostrom argues that for any superintelligence to achieve any main goal effectively, it would likely develop certain instrumental sub goals things it needs to do.
Speaker 1: Along the way, Like what sort of things like.
Speaker 2: Self preservation it needs to exist to make paper clips goal content integrity, It needs to ensure its goal doesn't get changed. Cognitive enhancement. Getting smarter helps make paper clips. Technological perfection better tech means more paper clips, and crucially, resource acquisition.
Speaker 1: Resource acquisition, I see where this might be going.
Speaker 2: Exactly. What's fascinating here, and honestly, deeply unsettling, is how this seemingly benign goal, combined with these relentless logical instrumental subgoals, can illustrate potentially catastrophic, unintended consequences.
Speaker 1: So the AI just wants paper clips.
Speaker 2: But to maximize paper clips, it might decide it needs all the atoms in the solar system, maybe the universe. It would protect itself, perhaps even with weapons against its creators if they tried to stop it. It would enhance its own capabilities constantly, maybe at human expense. It would acquire all existing technology, and yes, it could potentially consume all resources, including us turning everything into paper clips.
Speaker 1: That's quite a visual, you know, when I first heard about the paper clip maximizer, it really made me rethink how we define success for an AI. It's not just about what it does, but how it achieves it and what those instrumental goals are.
Speaker 2: Precisely, It's almost.
Speaker 1: Like a weird cautionary tale from modern business too. Isn't it optimizing one single metric so intensely that you become blind to everything else around it.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: Actually, so this new AI spring, it certainly has everyone debating whether artificial general intelligence AGI or superintelligence are truly possible. Where does the source land on that.
Speaker 2: Well, it acknowledges it's definitely debated within the scientific community. You have strong opinions on both sides, but the source argues the possibilities simply cannot be excluded. Can't rule it out, can't rule it out, And because of that, it stresses the absolute paramount importance of appropriate goal and incentive design, as well as appropriate control mechanisms for any emerging AI agents.
Speaker 1: Even the narrow ones we have now.
Speaker 2: Especially as they become more powerful. Yes, this needs serious thought well before any kind of technological singularity is even potentially in sight, because the worry is once that singularity is reached, you could have an intelligence explosion where the AI rapidly improves itself, potentially taking control away from from its creators faster than we can react. That's a recurring theme in AI safety discussions.
Speaker 1: Right control becomes key So, okay, we've peered into the theoretical future of AI, maybe even the slightly scary parts. Let's bring it back down to earth now, and specifically back to finance. Historically, you mentioned many foundational financial theories. They were often derived with like pen and paper alone, based on assumptions, not necessarily tons of data.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. These are often called normative theories, meaning they're based on certain ideal assumptions and axioms about how things should work or how rational agents should behave.
Speaker 1: Like which ones? What are the classics?
Speaker 2: Well, you have expected utility theory EUT that basically posits that rational agents always act to maximize their expected utility when faced with uncertain.
Speaker 1: Y'cundsological and there's mean various.
Speaker 2: Portfolio theory MVP theory for marko Itz that suggests investors only really care about two things, expected return and volatility or risk.
Speaker 1: Return and risk. Still sounds pretty standard, yep.
Speaker 2: Then you get a capital asset pricing model CAPM. That's a big one. It essentially assumes the overall market portfolio is the only relevant risk factor that explains differences in returns between assets.
Speaker 1: Only the market matters.
Speaker 2: And finally, arbitrage pricing theory APT, which is a bit more flexible. It suggests there could be multiple identifiable risk factors driving asset prices, not just the market.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a family of theories built on logic and.
Speaker 2: Assumptions built on logic and assumptions often derive mathematically without necessarily looking at vast amounts of real world market data first.
Speaker 1: And here's where the rubber meets the road, right right. Despite their elegance, how do these theories actually hold up when they face the messy, unpredictable reality of actual financial markets. Do they work?
Speaker 2: Well? That's the multi trillion dollar question, isn't it. The reality is many of these normative financial theories were only rigorously tested against real world data much later, sometimes decade after they were first published, and their underlying assumptions they often turn out to be quite unrealistic. For example, expected utility theories core assumptions about rationality are frequently contradicted by how actual humans behave how soon think about things like the La paradox, people inexplicably value certainty much more than expected value would suggest, or the Elsberg paradox, which shows we really don't like ambiguity. Situations where probabilities are unknown, we avoid them.
Speaker 1: Okay. So human psychology messes with.
Speaker 2: The math it does, and similarly mean variance portfolio theory and CAPM. They typically assume things like asset returns follow a nice, clean normal distribution a Bell curve, and that relationships are perfectly linear.
Speaker 1: Which they aren't in reality.
Speaker 2: Rarely, if ever, especially during crises. Real financial data often has fat tales, meaning extreme events are more common than a normal distribution would predict, and relationships could be highly nonlinear.
Speaker 1: So what's the practical outcome? Then the assumptions are shaky.
Speaker 2: The practical outcome is that these elegant theories often show pretty low or sometimes even non existent predictive power for future stock performance when you actually test them in practice. The source provides numerical examples showing just that for CPM and ATT they might explain some historical patterns sometimes but predicting the future much harder.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if the old maps these classic theories are kind of failing us in the real messy world, how do we navigate? What does this mean for how we approach finance today? It really sounds like we need a completely different playbook.
Speaker 2: We absolutely do, and the new playbook is overwhelmingly data driven. A huge enabler here has been the rise of programmatic APIs from data providers think Refinitive, Icon, Bloomberg and others.
Speaker 1: APIs so ways for computers to talk directly to the data fire hose.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It allows for systematic, automated retrieval and processing of truly vast amounts of information, information that no single human or even a team of humans could ever consume or analyze effectively on their own.
Speaker 1: And what kind of data are we talking about? Is it just stock prices?
Speaker 2: Oh? Far beyond that? Of course, you have the traditional structured historical data prices, trading volumes, company fundamentals like earnings and book value. Right, But then you also have high frequency streaming data, real time prices, order book data, tick data coming in.
Speaker 1: Constantly millisecond by millisecond stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then there's this huge growing ocean of unstructured data think news, techts, financial reports like ten K's social media posts, the source mentions Twitter specifically, even web pages like Apple's press releases.
Speaker 1: Wow, unstructured, how do you even use that?
Speaker 2: That's where AI really shines, especially natural language processing. But wait, there's More, we also had the explosion of so called alternative data.
Speaker 1: Alternative data like.
Speaker 2: What this could be anything from tracking app and sALS on smartphones, monitoring the movement of ocean vessels using satellite data, analyzing data for wearables like fitness trackers, or even signals from IoT sensors on industrial equipment. Anything that might give an edge.
Speaker 1: Okay, the scope is enormous.
Speaker 2: It really is. To give you a sense of the sheer volume. The source mentions that just one hour of Apple's tick by tick trading data could be five times larger than forty years of its traditional end of day price quotes.
Speaker 1: Five times the data in one hour versus forty years. That's a tsunami of information.
Speaker 2: It truly is. And this is precisely where AI, particularly deep learning excels compared to traditional econometric methods.
Speaker 1: How so, what are the advantages?
Speaker 2: Well, First, AI algorithms generally don't rely on those strict, often unrealistic assumptions like normality or linearity in the data that often hamstring classical models. They can handle the messiness. Okay, more flexible, much more flexible. Second, they can handle incredibly high dimensionality. Think about using hundreds even thousands of potential predictive features simultaneously. Traditional models often choke on that many variables right dimensionality exactly, AI is much better equipped for it. Third, AI models, especially in neural networks, often excel at complex classification problems like predicting up or down market moves, which standard econometrics can struggle.
Speaker 1: With classification not just regression. Okay, And crucially, as we touched on, AI can efficiently process that unstructured data text, images, maybe even audio or video soon, and it can seamlessly combine insights from that unstructured data with the traditional structured numerical data. This allows for a much richer, more holistic understanding of what's driving financial markets.
Speaker 2: It really sounds like AI allows us to grapple with the full, messy reality of the market, not just the neat, simplified versions that fit comfortably into our old theories.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: It almost reinforces the idea, doesn't it, that finance might be a discipline that has more in common with something complex like natural language, with all its nuances, context and sentiment, than it does with the clean predictable equations physics.
Speaker 1: That's a perfect analogy I think financial markets are ultimately driven by collective human behavior, newsflow, fear, greed, narratives, geopolitical events, countless variables that don't fit neatly into simple mathematical formulas. AI's ability to discern subtle patterns and all that messiness is its core strength here. Okay, So this power to find patterns in messy, high dimensional data brings us to what many quants many quantitative finance people consider the holy grail, right, The quest defines statistical inefficiencies in the market to prove markets aren't perfectly efficient, especially in the weak form.
Speaker 2: Precisely, the weak form of the efficient market hypothesis EMH basically states that all past price in volume information is already reflected in current prices, so you can't profit just by looking at charts or historical price patterns.
Speaker 1: The technical analysts' nightmare basically.
Speaker 2: Kind of yes, and it's arguably the hardest form of efficiency to disprove because it relies only on publicly available time series data. But now AI, especially neural networks, is being deployed specifically to try and predict market direction simply up or down, based purely on that historical time series data.
Speaker 1: Without using any fundamental data, just the price history.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the profound insight or maybe the hope here is that AI might be able to identify subtle, complex, perhaps nonlinear patterns or dependencies in price movements that traditional financial theories and standard statistical models consistently miss, simply because AI isn't constrained by the assumptions built into those older models.
Speaker 1: It just looks at the data, finding patterns humans and old models can't see.
Speaker 2: That's the goal and the key technique enabling this, especially for developing trading strategies, is reinforcement learning or RL RL.
Speaker 1: Okay, how is that different from say, the deep learning we talked about earlier.
Speaker 2: It's a different learning paradigm. Unlike supervised learning, which needs a big data set already labeled with the right answers or unsupervised learning finding structure in unlabeled data. RL learns pure from trial and error. It learns solely from the rewards or punishments it receives as it interacts with an environment.
Speaker 1: Ah. Okay, like training a dog with treats, or maybe more like training an AI to play those old Atari arcade games. Didn't deep mind do that too?
Speaker 2: Exactly like that? Or even training an AI to navigate a complex virtual world like in the video game Grand Theft Auto, as some researchers have done. The key is that the learning happens through interaction and feedback within an environment, often without needing massive pre existing data sets. And crucially, this can happen without any real world consequences or risk during the training phase.
Speaker 1: Right, which makes finance seem like a pretty good fit, doesn't it. You can create these hyper realistic simulated market environments for the AI to learn in.
Speaker 2: It's almost ideal in that sense. RL is being applied quite actively now to train automated trading bots within these simulated financial market.
Speaker 1: Environments, training bots learning by doing in a safe.
Speaker 2: Sandbox precisely now. Of course, the major risks emerge when these are deployed in the real world. There's the obvious risk of financial losses for the individual or firm running the bot if it makes bad decisions, and there's also a potential systemic risk if many bots start acting similarly, causing herd behavior and maybe amplifying market volatility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the flash crash worries those.
Speaker 2: Kinds of concerns, but the ability to train extensively in virtual environments first is a huge advantage for RL and finance.
Speaker 1: Just quickly, the key concepts in ROL you hear about are the agent that's the bot itself, the learner right, the action it takes buy, sell, hold, each step or update in the environments state, the state itself representing current market conditions, maybe price volume indicators, the reward it gets usually tied to financial returns profit or loss. And then algorithms like q learning, which is a popular method for the agent to figure out the optimal action to take in any given state to maximize future rewards.
Speaker 2: Okay, learning through rewards in the simulated world makes sense. Now, once you've trained these potentially complex AI strategies, how do you actually test them? How do you know if they'll work? Ah?
Speaker 1: Back testing crucial step. The source distinguishes between two main approaches here, vectorized back testing and event based back testing.
Speaker 2: Vectorized versus event based what's the difference? Vectorized back testing is usually faster. It processes all the historical data kind of at once, using efficient array operations. It's great for getting a quick high level overview of a strategy's overall performance like total return sharp a ratio, but it's generally less flexible for modeling more intricate realistic scenarios.
Speaker 1: Okay, fast, but maybe too simple sometimes could be event.
Speaker 2: Based back testing. On the other hand, simulate the market tick by tick or bar by bar. It processes events like a new price update or an order getting filled one by one sequentially.
Speaker 1: More like how trading actually happens exactly.
Speaker 2: This offers a much higher degree of flexibility. It allows you to model complex decision rules, incorporate sophisticated risk management logic, account for things like transaction costs and slippage more accurately. It really lets you zoom in on the details and understand how the bot behaves under specific market conditions. It's usually slower, but often gives a more realistic picture, which is vital before you risk real capital.
Speaker 1: Right. Realism matters. And speaking of risk management, how sophisticated can these AI powered trading bots get? Can they incorporate those crucial risk measures to protect against big losses? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they can and arguably should utilize standard risk management tools just like human traders do, only perhaps more consistently and quickly, like stop losses, Yes, definitely, Stop loss orders SLS to automatically exit a position if the price moves against it by a certain amount, limiting the potential loss, and also trailing stop laws orders tsls.
Speaker 1: How do those work?
Speaker 2: A TSL automatically adjusts the stop level upwards as the price moves in your favor. So if you're long and the price goes up, the stop loss trails behind it, locking in some of the gains while still protecting against a reversal.
Speaker 1: Clever locks in profit, but keeps the up side open exactly.
Speaker 2: And of course they also use take profit orders tps to automatically exit a position in secure games once a pre defined target price is reached.
Speaker 1: So standard tools but may be applied more systematically by.
Speaker 2: The bot right and a common and quite smart practice mentioned for setting the levels for these stops and profit targets is to relate them somehow to the market's recent volatility, often using a measure like the average true range or ATR ATR. Why use that because it gives you a sense of the typical daily or intra day price movement the market noise. By setting your stop loss, say a multiple of the ATR away from your entry price, you try to avoid getting stopped out prematurely just because of normal random market fluctuations. You give the trade room to breathe, but still have.
Speaker 1: Protection ah avoiding the noise.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, it does, But it's also important to note something the source points out. While incorporating robust risk measures like stops is absolutely essential for survival and managing drawdowns, it doesn't always prove the strategy's net performance on its own.
Speaker 1: Really why not?
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes stops might cut winning trades short or lock in small losses. Frequently, there's often a trade off between risk reduction and potential return. As the saying goes, there's really no such thing as a free lunch. Even in risk management. You usually give up something to get that protection.
Speaker 1: Right, No free lunch, got it? And for actually doing this for the real world application? Are there platforms for this?
Speaker 2: Yes? The source mentions platforms like Awanda, which is a well known broker. They provide APIs that allow traders to access both historical data for back testing and training and real time data streams for deploying these trading bots live in the market. That allows for that crucial transition from simulation to actual market interaction.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the tools and platforms are there now. The financial market isn't just complex It's a really high space, extremely competitive environment, isn't it, which makes it seem like a natural battleground for these AI systems. It's a race for advantage.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is. You nailed it. Financial services companies are rapidly embracing AI, not just for trading but across the board to automate routine tasks, freeing up humans to analyze those colossal amounts of data at speeds and scales humans just can't match, to drastically improve customer service think chatbots and personalized advice, and even to ensure compliance with complex, ever evolving regulations.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about alpha about trading profits. It's about efficiency and compliance too, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's becoming fundamental to operations. But yes, the edge in trading is a huge driver. This isn't just about efficiency, It's really about gaining a definitive competitive edge in a zero sum or near zero sum game.
Speaker 1: Okay, if we connect this competition to the bigger picture, what does this whole AI revolution mean for the financial industry's most critical resources? Are we seeing new kinds of bottlenecks emerge because everyone's chasing the same AI dream.
Speaker 2: We are indeed seeing intense competition, a real race for probably three primary resources. Firstly, as you might guess, AI experts themselves, finding and retaining top talent and AI machine learning data science. It's a significant bottleneck. Financial firms are competing fiercely, not just with each other, but also with the big tech giants and nimble startups all wanting the same people. The talent war definitely. Secondly, there's the ongoing competition for specialized hardware. The demand for those powerful GPUs and TPUs we talked about is still incredibly high, and there's interest in newer, even more specialized chips like graphcoreps IPUs, which are designed specifically for AI. The source mentions major head funds like Citadel or even conducting their own cutting edge research into hardware optimization. That's how critical it is.
Speaker 1: They're researching chips now. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Thirdly, there's that continuous aggressive search for novel and exclusive alternative data sources. Yeah, finding data that others don't have, data that offers unique proprietary insights. That's a constant battle. The value of standard data gets competed away quickly, so the hunt for unique out from unique data is relentless.
Speaker 1: Talent hardware and unique data, the new frontiers of competition.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yet despite all this intense activity and investment, the source makes a really interesting argument that AI in finance is still, in many ways in a nascent stage.
Speaker 1: Nascent really with all this going.
Speaker 2: On, relatively speaking, yes, it argues there's still a notable lack of standardization across the industry in terms of tools, techniques, best practices compared to maybe other fields where AI is more mature, and this lack of standardization paradoxically leaves the competitive landscape potentially wide open. It means there's still significant opportunity for nimble firms or firms with a breakthrough approach to gain truly significant, maybe even outsized advantages before things become more settled than standardized. The rules of the game are still being written in a sense.
Speaker 1: That's a fascinating point about the nascent stage. It makes me wonder about the ultimate consequence maybe the endgame for this AI race and finance. Could this eventually lead to something like a financial singularity where human intuition or traditional analysis is just completely overshadowed.
Speaker 2: It's a really compelling thought, isn't it. The source actually introduces a specific concept here an artificial financial intelligence or AFI.
Speaker 1: AFI okay distinct from AGI.
Speaker 2: Yes, very distinct. An AFI is defined as an AI that is consistently superior in this specific domain of trading and financial market analysis. Crucially, the argument is that an AFI does not necessarily require achieving human level general intelligence or human brain emulation or even physical embody mass.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't need to be like a person.
Speaker 2: No, it just needs to be better at finance. This makes it a much more specific and arguably a much more achievable goal in the nearer term than a full blown artificial general intelligence or superintelligence.
Speaker 1: This needs to be good at the finance game.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and the key takeaway here is profound well. Traditional econometric methods and even human traders today often struggle to find what the source calls microroscopic alpha, those tiny, fleeting statistical inefficiencies that might only yield a fraction of a percent gain on a single trade, the scrap's leftover sort of. Yeah, AI, with its ability to process vast data and complex patterns, offers a completely new, potentially much more powerful path for discovering that alpha, maybe even alpha that isn't so microscopic. It's like having a new kind of microscope or maybe even a completely new way of mining that lets you find valuable brains of gold where human intuition and older tools were only looking for obvious nuggets.
Speaker 1: A new paths to finding value that was hidden before.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you've just taken us on a real deep dive into AI and finance. We've seen how it's really not just another tool, but potentially a fundamental shift.
Speaker 2: It really feels that way.
Speaker 1: From redefining intelligence itself with things like ALFA zero, challenging those old elegant financial theories, to powering these incredibly sophisticated trading bods and completely reshaping competition in the industry, AI is clearly here to stay, and it feels like it's just getting started in finance.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the potential impact is immense.
Speaker 1: So maybe a final thought for our listener, for you to maul over if these AI systems can eventually discover statistical inefficiencies that human design models and maybe even human intuition consistently miss, and if this artificial financial intelligence, this AFI, doesn't actually need to be embodied or think like a human or emulate a human brain to be superior, specifically at trading. What does that ultimately imply about the limits of our own human intuition when faced with truly data driven, powerful machine intelligence in the realm of finance, that
Speaker 2: Is the question, isn't it something to really think about?