Speaker 1: I am pleased a bunch to have someone on Wait, hang on, let me do this because I'm an idiot.
Speaker 2: Wop say how you doing? Let me just don't try this.
Speaker 1: At home, kids, it's very technical radio. I'm pleased to have someone with us who knows more about networking than your average bear by a long long shot. Doctor Ivan Meisner is the founder of B and I. As it's commonly known, it is the Business Networking International Groups.
Speaker 2: They're all over the place.
Speaker 1: I was part of one of them in Florida because I suck at networking and I figured I needed all the help I could get.
Speaker 2: Why are we talking about networking?
Speaker 1: To be really honest, there's a lot of economic uncertainty out there, and you may or may not in the near future find yourself getting laid off. We do know that some federal workers are going to be out of their jobs, so it's time to kind of review what we're doing when it comes to networking, because networking is not something you do when you get laid off. It's something you do all the time. And i'd like to welcome doctor Ivan Meisner to the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, I even welcome my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and you were a member at one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about I know about fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: No, no, twenty years ago. Now, I was selling insurance. So we signed up and it was a very positive experience, and it really did help me because everyone at the organization was so friendly and they came to me and sort of helped me get over that hump of you know, talking to people that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I know, people listening to me on the radio right now were like, really, Mandy, you're not.
Speaker 2: You're too afraid to talk to people. You know, It's all true.
Speaker 1: You can be an introverted extrovert or an extroverted introvert. And that's where I found myself. And you tell me you found yourself in the same place.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a situational extrovert. You know. I found this out fifteen twenty years ago when my late wife said I said something about being an extrovert and she's like, no, you're not. I'm like, yeah, of course, I run the world's largest networking organization. And she's like, no, you're an introvert. And I got mad and I went into the Internet and I took a test and it said, congratulations, Ivan Meisner, you are an introvert who is a situational extrovert. Now go apologize to your wife. And we didn't say the last part, but I was surprised by that. Honestly, I believe, having now done that years ago, it introverts can be great at networking. And here's why. When you're an extrovert, you're great at introducing yourself. You can meet people, introduce yourself. What's your favorite topic?
Speaker 2: Yourself?
Speaker 3: Yes, you love to talk about yourself. If you're an extrovert, that's a problem. If you're an introvert, you have a hard time introducing yourself, but you're a good listener. And a good networker has two years in one mouth and she use them both proportionately. So I would argue that extroverts have a strength at networking, but they have to learn how to listen. Introverts have a strength at networking, and they have to learn how to connect with people, and there are definitely tech niques that you can use to do that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about what a network actually is, because in my experience, from industry to industry, there are subtle changes and sort of how things sort of get grouped out, and I think some people don't recognize that they have a network when they do.
Speaker 2: So let's just kind of take it back to basics.
Speaker 1: What is a network and how does that How do you determine what your network should be.
Speaker 3: Well, your network is a group of connections that can help you to connect with other people throughout your community. They may help you to connect for jobs. They may help you connect for referrals for business. When you were an insurance agent, you were looking for referrals for business. And so it's really the community that you have around you. They may be friends, they may be neighbors, they may be business associates, they could possibly be old classmates that you have connections with. And so these are the people around you that you know, like and trust and they're willing to help you in some way and you're willing to help them. That's important.
Speaker 1: So if you've cultivated a network of people that meet those characteristics. And for me, I don't necessarily want people in my network where it's only going in one direction, meaning they're only seeking help or seeking favors or seeking you know, connections from me. I've had that experience in the past.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 1: How do you delicately maybe remove someone from your network that isn't serving your purposes or you find to be a time waster or even worse, an askhole. And I said, ask, there's a case there is a key.
Speaker 2: I think I heard ask, yes, ask.
Speaker 3: So my recommendation is that you sit down with them, uh and have a conversation and maybe let's let's just for arguments sake, because me and I as a referral organization, that's my background. So let's say you've given them a into referrals. You sit down with them and rather than say, hey, you haven't given me anything, which just makes them defensive. Instead you sit down and you say, how did this referral workout for you? And you may know, but you get them to talk about it. How did that referral work out to you? How did this referral? These are referrals you gave them. Then listen to their answers. Now this is really important. They may say to you they didn't work out at all, which case you need to reassess just how much you've helped them. Most of the time, several of them worked out, and they'll tell you, yeah, this worked out great, this worked out great. That's when you have the conversation. It's easier when you do it this way, as you say to them, well, I'm really glad those worked out for you. Can we talk now about how you might be able to reciprocate and possibly give me referrals in the same way that I gave you referrals? Then listen to their answer, and if their answer is that they can't do it for some reason, then that's when you cut them a litters right. But if their answer is, as I've seen many times, oh my goodness, you're absolutely right. I can't believe I haven't given you any referrals. Let's talk about that. Then you open the door to being able to build a relationship.
Speaker 2: How do you maintain a network?
Speaker 1: I mean, how much time do you need to spend making sure that you stay in contact with people. For me, in the radio industry, I try to go to radio events at least every other year just to say hello.
Speaker 2: To old friends.
Speaker 1: This is a very small industry when you get right down to it. But how do you maintain those relationships?
Speaker 3: You know? Just in general, Well, it's really about the number of touch points that you have with somebody, and as your business grows, the touch points become a little more difficult. You can't pick up the phone and call every friend or associate that you have. And by the way, Facebook is kind of redefind what a friend is. I'm talking about real, legitimate friends that you know, like and trust, and it's really about touch points. It might be an email that says, hey, Mandy, how are you doing anything new. It might be connecting with them on some social media platform, or you say, hey, that's a great love the photo of your grandchild. Right. You're making these use your touch points with your closest friends. It's a phone call. As a matter of fact, just today I called a co author of mine for one of my books, who I've known for twenty years. Loved this guy, and I called him and I just said, hey, how are you doing. We haven't talked in a month, and give me an update. And so it's all about touch points. But the people that are most important in your life, you got to do it otherwise benign neglect kicks in. Yeah, and benign neglect can be both good and bad. If it's benign neglect with somebody you don't want to stay in touch with, that's a good thing. But if it's a benign neglect with somebody that you love and care for, then you don't want to let that happen.
Speaker 2: I'm talking with Ivan Meisner.
Speaker 1: He's the founder of B and I, which is a massive networking operation and I eleven.
Speaker 3: Three hundred chapters in seventy five countries.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, that's amazing. That's amazing, it really is.
Speaker 3: You know, we generated last year twenty five billion with a B twenty five billion dollars with of a business what we call thank you for closed business for our members. Now here's the awesome thing. I love this business. Here's the awesome thing. There are actually, based on United Nations estimates, one hundred countries in the world, one hundred with a lower GDP than what we generated for our members in the last twelve months. That blows my mind. When I started being and I, I had no idea that it would resonate this well with businesses.
Speaker 1: Well, as I said, I told you off the year I was a member. Probably now that I did the math, God, I you know, I've reached that age where I think that the nineteen nineties were like ten years ago. And clearly I don't know going out with my brain, but I was a member because I didn't know anything about networking, and I needed something that had structure and that was already there.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And I got a message said, ah, I'm not a fan. There are plenty of free networking for someone who's a complete like. The thought of the word networking gave me cold shells down my spine.
Speaker 2: I'm not exaggerating it.
Speaker 1: It was like a horrifying thought to walk into a room full of strangers. It provided a structure for me that I found invaluable. So my experience was very good. Let me ask you this question, because I think this is really hard. If someone finds themselves in a position where they get laid off, how do you kick that network into gear?
Speaker 2: How do you start? How do you make those phone calls? What do you do?
Speaker 1: Do you just pick up the phone and start saying, hey, I'm looking you know, let me know?
Speaker 2: Or do you need to be more specific?
Speaker 3: Well, so there's two parts to that answer. The first part is you know the old Chinese proverb when's the best time to plant an oak tree? And the answer is twenty years ago? When's the second best time in the answer is today? So you should start building your network now. So Anyone who's listening to this should really start to develop their network now. And the technology today is so great. When I was in graduate school, we didn't have any social media to stay connected. I went to school with a deputy director of the Federal Aviation Administration. I went to school. You'll love this one with the Captain of the Palace card for Saddam Hussein, who I'm sure is not around what I did. I went to graduate school with him. But it would be amazing to stay in touch with those who are still alive, and social media allows you to do that. We don't teach this in colleges and universities anywhere in the world. We don't teach networking or referral marketing. And so the key is, I think, to learn how to do this effectively, because most people use networking as a face to face cold calling opportunity. Hi, Mandy, my name is Ivan. Let's do business right, and that's not the way to network effectively.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're calling people because now you've been laid off and you're looking for a new position, and are you going to give them your resume or are you just going to say, hey, I'm looking something for something in the field of you know, broadcast or project management or whatever. Is it better to call with a specific ask or just call and say, hey, you know me, if you hear of anything that you think I might be a good fit for.
Speaker 2: Let me know what's the better strategy.
Speaker 3: Well, I think if it's people that you know, you can get very direct. If it's people that you have a relationship with, so you've gotta have to layer your connections. In most of my books, I talk about the VCP process and visibility, credibility, profitability. So let's start with profitability. People that you have a really solid relationship. And by profitability, they may be clients, they may be close friends, they may be people who have referred to those people you can go direct with Hey, just you know, just got laid off. I'm really I'm looking for a job in this area. You can get direct. They don't mind because they love you, they like you. Your friends. Credibility it's not quite as direct, you know you just you may reach out to them and say, I'm looking for job opportunities. If you know any people in these areas, please let me know. Uh. And at visibility you've got to be really, really tactful because they don't know you, and if you go right for the for the requests, it's probably too early. The other thing is to go to networking events that have people in it that are in the business you want to be in, and make connections there and have conversations with them.
Speaker 1: This is all great advice. I hope nobody in my listening audience needs it anytime soon, but everybody should maintain their network, and it's it's so critical. If you want more information about Ivan, if you want more information about B and I or anything else, I put it all on my website today, ourmandy'sblog dot com. Doctor Ivan Meisner, thank you so much, because you know a lot of us know this.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 1: If you're a working professional person, you know all of the things you just said. But hearing them again, I'm already thinking about how I'm going to go through and sort of reevaluate my contact list where I'm going to put people, and thinking about people I should probably reach out to just in case, not that I think anything bad is going to happen, but just in case.
Speaker 3: Well, you're exactly right. If you go through your contact list and say, am I a profitability with this person? Is there a real tight relationship or am I just a am I a credibility or am I just a visibility? That really helps determine the kind of communication that you have with the individual.
Speaker 2: Doctor Meisner, thanks so much for your time today, Mandy.
Speaker 3: It was great talking to you. I'm be happy to come back
Speaker 2: Anytime, all right, Thanks so much,