Speaker 1: Well, it's thank you for having me. It's great to be here. Paris is one of my favorite places in the world, and it's actually the the on the first trip that I went out of South Africa, Paris, that was where I went and when I when I was a young little kid, well my my parents brought me when I was like six years old, so I've loved Paris ever since. So thank you for having me. What I'm gonna talk about today is just in general terms, what is needed to address the climate crisis. And this is the thing that if, if, if, we if we do what actions can we take that that will accelerate the transition out of the fossil fuel era. So where we are today is let's see if it's worthy. Maybe not, okay, all right, we have the we have the present era where we have the carbon cycle. And my apologies if if some of you already know all about this, but I think some of these things are maybe not as obvious as they may seem. So there's a certain amount of carbon that is circulating through the environment. So it's going into the air, being absorbed by and getting absorbed by plants and animals, and then going back into the air and this this carbon is just circulating on the surface and this this is fine, and it's been doing that for millions, hundreds of millions of years. The thing that's changed is that we've added something to the mix. So this is what I would call the sort of the turd in the punch bowl. So we're added all this extra carbon to the carbon cycle, and the net result is that the carbon and the ocean's atmosphere is growing over time. It's much more than can be absorbed by the ecosystem. It's really it's really quite simple. We're taking billions of tons of carbon that's been buried for hundreds of millions of years and is not part of the corbon cycle, taking it from deep underground and adding it to the corbon cycle. The result is that a steady increase in the carbon in the atmosphere and in the ocean oceans, which doesn't look like much if you look at it on this chart, but when looked at in the context of history, it actually looks like this. So the carbon posts million has really been bouncing around the three hundred level for around ten million years, and then the last few hundred years it went into a vertical climb this. This is the essence of the problem. This is very unusual and and a and a very very extreme threat, as you can see from from this rate of growth. Then this is accompanied by a temperature increase as one would expect, and and then and this and this temperature increase. If people talk about two degrees or three degrees, it's important to appreciate just how sensitive the climate actually is to temperature. And it's important to look at it in terms of absolute temperature, not in degrees celsius relative to zero. We need to say, what is the temperature change relative to absolute zero. That's how the universe thinks about temperature, It's how physics thinks about temperature. It's relative to absolute zero. So for small changes result in huge effects. So New York City under ice would be minus five degrees. New York City underwater would be plus five degrees, but looked at as a percentage relative to absolute zero, it's only a plus minus two percent change. So the sensitivity of the climate is extremely extremely high. We've amplified this sensitivity by building our cities right on the on the coastline, and most most people live very close to the ocean. In some countries of course, that are that are very low lying and would be completely uh underwater in a in a climate crisis. So then we've essentially designed civilization to be super sensitive to climate change and the the the important thing to appreciate is that we are going to exit the fossil fuels era. So it is it is inevitable that we will exit the foss fuel era because at a certain point we will simply run out of carbon to mine and burn. So the question is really when when do we exit the era? Not not? If the goal is to exit the era as quickly as possible, that means we need to move from from the old goal with the prenu real goal, which was to move from uh chopping down forests and uh killing lots of whales. That the old goal was to move from from chopping wood and and killing whales to fossil fuels, which is actually in that context was a good thing. But the new goal is to move to a sustainable energy future, and we want to use things like hydrosolar, wrange geo thermal. Nuclear is also a good option in places like France which don't aren't subject to natural disasters, and we want to use energy sources that will be good for for a billion years. So how do we accelerate this transition away from fossil fuels to sustainable era and and and and what happens if we don't? So if we if we wait, and if we delay the change, the best case, the best case, is simply delaying that inevitable transition to sustainable energy. So this is the this is the best case. If we don't take action now, at the risk of being repetitive, it's there's gonna be no choice in the long term to move to sustainable energy. It's it's totological. We have to have sustainable energy or something to run out of the other one. So the only thing we gain by slowing down the transition is is just slowing it down. It doesn't doesn't make it not occur, It just slows it down. The worst case, however, is more displacement and destruction than all the wars in history combined. Okay, this is these are these are the best worst case scenarios. So then if we have you know, about three percent of scientists that believe in the best case, about ninety seven percent that believe in the worst case. This is why I call it the dumbest experiment in history. Ever, why would you do this? So the reason that the transition is delayed or is happening slowly is because there is a hidden subsidy on all carbon producing activity. In a healthy market, if you have say ten years of benefit and four years of harm to his society, the profit would be six euros. The sort of you know, makes obvious sense. This is where the incentives are aligned with the good future. This is not this is not the case today. But if you have the incentives aligned, then the forcing function towards a good future, towards its sustainable energy future, will be powerful. In an unhealthy market, you have your ten years of benefit if your four years, but the four years doesn't isn't tax. You have untaxed negative externality. There's basically economics one on one. So you have basically unreasonable profit and a forcing function to to do carbon emitting activity because this this this cost to society is not being paid. The net result is thirty five gigatons of carbon per year into the atmosphere. So this is analogous to not paying for garbage collection. And it's it's not as though we should we should say in the case of garbage, have a garbage free society. It's very difficult to have a garbage free society, but it's just important that people pay for the garbage collection. So we need to go from having an untaxed negative externality and which is effectively a hidden carbon subsidy of enormous size UH five point three trillion dollars a year according to the IMF every year. We need to move away from this UH and and and and have a carbon tax. So but this has been this has been fought quite hard by the UH, the carbon producers, and they're using tactics that are very similar to what the UH cigarette industry or the back industry used for many years. They would they would take the approach of having of even though the overwhelming scientific consensus was that UH smoking cigarettes was bad for you, they would find a few scientists that would disagree, and then they would say, look, scientists disagree, so that that that's essentially how they would try to trick the public into thinking that smoking is not that bad. The solution, obviously is to remove the subsidy, so that means we need to have a carbon tax and to make it sort of something which is neither a left nor a right issue. We should make it probably a revenue neutral carbon tax, So this would be a case of increasing taxes on carbon, but then reducing taxes in other places. So maybe there would be a reduction in sales tax or VAT and an increase in common tax, so that only those using high levels of carbon would pay an increased tax. And moreover this I mean in order to give industry time to react, This could be a phased in approach, so that maybe it takes five years before the carbon taxes are very high, so that means that only companies that don't take action today will suffer in five years. But there needs to be a clear message from from government in this regard, because the fundamental problem is the rules today incent people to create carbon and this is madness, and whatever you incent will happen. That that's why you know we're we're seeing little, very little effect thus far, and depending upon how what what action we take, well we'll drive the common number to either extreme or moderate levels. I think it's pretty much a given that that the two degree see increase will occur. The question is whether it's going to be much more than that, not if there will be a two degree increase. So then the question is, so what can you do? I would say, whenever you have the opportunity, talk to your politicians, ask them to enact a carbon text where we have to fix the unpriced externality. I'll talk to your friends about it and fight the propaganda from the carbon industry. So that that's the basic message I have, and I'm happy to take questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have we have some mics in the audience being passed around. Do you want to raise your hand and we'll give you a mic.
Speaker 3: Hi, sir, he I'm coming old pass from the Master of Innovation and Technology management management. And my question is what do you say to those who think there are more important concerns right now than clean change and global warming?
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean there's definitely there are many important issues in the world. This is not the only important issue, but it is I think the thing that will have the biggest negative effect on humanity if we do not address it. I mean, based on the projections that we're seeing right now, these are, like I said, arguably best case projections. We're going to see significant rises in temperature and sea level. The net result is if we don't take action. We could see you anywhere from five to ten percent maybe more of the land mass absorbed by water, which would which is maybe not doesn't sound like that much, but about a third of humanity lives right on the coastline or in low lying countries, so we'd be talking about maybe two billion people being displaced and their home is being destroyed and their country is being gone. So I think we should take action.
Speaker 4: Hello, sir, thank you for coming here. My question is I'm PhD student in marketing and what I study is what motivates people to participate in challenges. Now, you have created a company which creates challenges, which which brought a rocket to Moon and back. If I if I'm not wrong, my question would be, do you think a challenge? Maybe not Moon and back?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? Quite getting there?
Speaker 4: Getting there? My question to you would be do you think that incentives, which is the biggest incentive to use monetary incentives are the best possible incentive to get people to participate and solve the world's biggest problems or do you think people can do it in order to just help everyone on the planet and make it better. So is money the only way to ask people to get in and solve challenges, or do you have other ways to actually motivate people to participate.
Speaker 1: I think there's definitely a philanthropic element, and there's you know, I think there's I think in general, people want to do the right thing and they want to do what's good. The the issue we have right now is that the rules fundamentally favor the bad outcome. So when you're fighting for the good outcome and it's an uphill battle, it's just it's just slower. So with respect to to climate change, it's just critical that the government and the goverment is the center of rules. The government decides what rules companies will play by. And if we currently have a system which massively incents bad behavior, so even if most people don't do the bad behavior, some people will still do the bad behavior. Yeah, I mean money and prices are Prices are basically just an information mechanism. They're just they're just basically they tell you that it's money. Is mostly an information mechanism for labor, labor allocation and for you know, and and sort of tells companies what to do. So it's just critical, This is why it's so critical to that actually be taken at a government level, because the government is the one they're setting the rules of the game, and it's just crazy to have the rules of the game favor a bad outcome. The question up top there there's a question here. Hi La Mosque. My name is Michelle.
Speaker 5: I'm an undergriding economics that here. My question is, there are some new studies on removing carbon dix dark side from the atmosphere and burrowing deep in the ocean. Do you think it's a sustainable solution and why?
Speaker 1: Thank you? You know, I'm not aware of any carbon sequestration or carbon storage system that is that that that works and works economically, and I definitely wouldn't want to I wouldn't want to store the carbon in the ocean because of possible acidification. You know, as the as the carbon as its huge levels rise in the atmosphere, some of that is absorbed into the ocean becomes carbonic acid, and a lot of the shell fish in particular are super sensitive to changes in in VH level, So I would definitely er against trying to store in the ocean. There are potentially you could try to store some of it in giant underground caverns, but the sheer quantity we're talking about. I don't think itn be stored anywhere. There's there's just nowhere to store it. Yeah, question love right, Hello, sir.
Speaker 6: I'm sidering management at the Barion and I would know how long do you do? Teslam Motors intends to use lithium batteries knowing that it is not a limited resource.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, I think so so lithium in terms of energy storage. Lithium, I think is is definitely the future and will be for a long time. There's actually not a shortage of lithium on Earth, so lithium is number three on the periodic table. It's actually extremely common. Any salty water has has lithium, so there definitely won't be a lithium constraint on energy storage for batteries. So I feel pretty confident that one could make enough batteries to store all the energy that the world needs with the current resources that are that are available. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: My name is idvite Idea. I am a PhD student in Project and infrastructure finance in Sorbon. First of all, I would like to thank you for your latest product, power Wall, which to me, it gives to the citizens to have the power to select the way they can consume energy. I can spend a few thousand dollars to buy some solar panel and the power wall and to be free of any offer in the market. My question is about the larger scale storage systems you have designed. Have you received any serious involvement from governments and large companies to develop such such infrastructure or do you have any serious plans within the within the United States or maybe in other countries.
Speaker 1: For large energy storage. Yeah, we do. Actually we've got a number of very very big storage projects underway with utilities around the world, so both in the US and outside. The thing that's interesting about the energy storage situation is that even even without renewables, there's a there's a huge potential to make the energy grid more efficient and to be able to shut down the heaviest polluting power plants because the the energy consumption through the day usually changes by a factor of two or more so an ent Since with the exception of hydroelectric, you can't store the power, it has to be available in real time. The world has somewhere between two to three times as many power plants as it actually needs, so if you can buffer the power with a big, big stationary battery packs, then you can actually shut down the worst half of the power plants in the world. So I think that's a that's sort of a very exciting thing that I think a lot of people don't appreciate, and I think it's it's going to make it make a big difference. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Hi, Sarah, I'm Geanny from the mess or degree Innovation and Technology Management. And my question is do you believe that in the ability of government, international government to prevent climate change?
Speaker 9: And what would you suggest?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, I think this fundamentally is a government issue. So it's it's the as mentioned, the government is the one that sets the rules of the game. That they said how companies are awarded financially, and so in the absence of government, uh actually establishing some kind of a carbon tax or potentially a cap and trade on carbon, which I was very excited to see that China announced earlier this year that they were going to do that. Unless the government does something to fix the market mechanism, the it's we're fundamentally gonna have a very slow transition out of the fossil fal era. So it's it's critical that government action changed the incentive structure. Yeah, and and that would be very clear. And so it's like, hopefully what comes out of this, out of these the climate talks in Paris, is that that the governments of the world say that they put their foot down and they say five years from now, let's say there has to be a huge change, and and and that companies know for sure that this is going to happen and if they if they do, then the the investment decisions that make today will will will bear fruit in five years. So the for for heavy industrial application, for heavy industry, you kind of know what the world is going to look like in five years if you know what plan, what what what factories are being built today, because if you built a really big factory, to get to full production takes about five years from from the start. And so since we know that today there are very few sustainable energy projects at large scale that are that are being built, we know that unless something changes very quickly, the sustainable energy will still be in a bad situation five years from now. So you know, I mean, there are companies like you know at Teslin and Solar City, we're quite ideologically motivated, but but that's that's relatively unusual. So Hiland, my name is Thomas.
Speaker 7: What do you think about people who are saying, then, rather than trying to save the years, we should try to colonize other planets.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we should do both. Yeah, I think we yea. The I mean, my sort of personal ideology is is kind of split right now between trying to be helpful on Earth related stuff, which is sustainable energy, and then trying to you know, advance space technology so we can establish self sustaining city on Mars. But I do think it's important to be a multiplanet, not just one planet, but another planet. So the and and the overarching goal is to minimize existential risk. You know, so if we look at look out into the future and say, what are the things that pose a risk to humanity to what? What? What? What? What is going to make the future good versus bad? And I think if obviously, if we have sustainable energy future that's good and the fastest that comes, the better. And then if we're a multiplanet species, that gives us much more resilience against an extinction event and also would be a really great and fun adventure.
Speaker 10: Hi, my name is Dreda, and I wanted to know in your opinion, what would the future we look like in termine energy sources and how soon could we use nuclear fission efficiently?
Speaker 1: Thank you sure well. The the thing to appreciate about the industry, the sort of installed industrial base, is that it's it's really enormous. Like the number of petrol and diesel cars on the road and trucks is about two billion. There are sort of hundreds of thousands of of of power plants using fossil fuels. So the the even if we if today we went super hard in the direction of renewables, it would still take a long time. So I think we will. It's before we see significant changes, probably ten or twenty years, and there's a lot that can happen in ten or twenty years of course, so the faster we can bring that date forward, the better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Hi, my name is Natasha and from the Master Program of Sustainable Development. I have two questions. First one, because I want to be optimistic that we are going to switch at some point to be completely sustainable and to use renewable energies. Do you think that there are going to be a gap between developing and developed countries and when developing countries will be able to reach developed ones switching into sustainable and renewable energies. Then second one would be sustainability of nuclear energy.
Speaker 1: In your opinion, thank you sure. And I actually I should answer the nuclear question because that was posed just before this. I actually think that nuclear fission, if it's in a location that is not subject to natural disasters, like like in the case of France, there's a very hYP percentage of nuclear I think that's actually a good thing. Obviously, you don't want to have nuclear fission power plants in places that are subject to natural disasters because that obviously it can go wrong. So and so I think fission is a good is a good approach. Fusion is also interesting, and it's exciting to see what's happening with the itroproject, which is a fusion plant that's being built in France. I do think fusion is is a is a feasible technology. I think we can definitely make fusion work the but but it is it is a it is kind of a far off technology. So to make fusion at the power plant level work is probably I don't know, thirty years away, and and and and and a lot of a lot of effort. So that that's why in at least you know for now, and I think maybe even in the long term. I'm a proponent of using the big fusion power plant in the sky called the Sun, so that the Sun is a giant fusion explosion and it shows up every day, and if we have footable takes for solar panels, we can capture that fusion energy. It also needs to be stored in batteries so we can use it at night. And then we want to have high power lines to transfer solar energy from one place to another. So but the important thing to appreciate is like, if let's say the only thing we had was with solar energy, then that was the only power source you could If you just took a small section of Spain, you could power all of Europe. It's a very small amount of area that's actually needed to generate the di trisity we need to power civilization, or in the case of the US, like a little corner of Nevada or Utah power of the entire United States.
Speaker 12: So good evening, you do have a very impressive and stimulating career. You succeed in business while staying true to yourself and believes so I would like to know what advice you would give to a young entrepreneur who is aware of climate change issues, and maybe what was the best and the worst advice you are given about that?
Speaker 1: Thank you? Okay, Well, I think if somebody is wanting entrepreneurial and energy, I mean, either either you want to start a company or you want to join a company that's doing something sustainable, and it could be you know, there's there's obviously wind solar and the geodomo, there's title power. So I would just say, look at companies that are trying to do sustainable energy and decide if you want to join them or if you want to start one. So I generally wouldn't you know, starting companies in either the automotive arena or the energy like energy arena is of like quite a tricky business. I mean when when when we first started uh Tesla and Solar City, we thought they would fail. We thought Tesla in particular, we thought probably we've uh maybe ten percent chants of success. So it's you know, particularly particularly cars, uh the you know, it's it's hard, it's hard to stay alive as a car company. Honestly, it's like this must be one of the worst risk suggested returns. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Hi, my name is Benjamin, and I was wondering what do you wish for in terms of international rules and politics to facilitate the implementation of your power wall battery.
Speaker 1: Well, it's really that the what I've been saying here is that that that the governments of the world need to price the the extra now. They need to put put a proper price on carbon, and then automatically the right behavior will occur. So this is by by putting a price on carbon, we're essentially fixing a pricing error in the market's market system. So I mean, most of the times when government governments intervened in markets, it's usually increases the pricing error. But but when when the pricing error is a huge tragedy the commons issue, like we have with carbon capacity, uh, it's critical that the government put a price in it because you just can't go wrong by putting by in. Any price to put in it will be more right than close to zero, which it is right now. So this is this is by far the most important thing if we want to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. There are other less effective ways. By providing incentives and subsidies to say electric cars or solar that that is, that is a sometimes a more politically expedient way to do it, but the best way is just to directly fix the pricing error by taxing carbon. And this is if you ask most economists, they would say the same thing. So this is sort of well known and obvious in the economics world.
Speaker 9: Even could you say a few words on artificial intelligence, because you know, I think I read or you you know, you were quoted among with others Bill Gates and Peter Till and so forth, saying that you know, you were afraid of the that one day and hyper you know, intelligent machine would destroy humanity. And you know, are you investing a lot into artificial intelligence with you know, because are we wasting a lot of energy because we're using you know, we're not being smart or we're not having smart objects and so forth. And how do you reconcile the two if you know there's a there's a long time, you know, long term major risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I definitely want to stay stay on the you know, just doble energy topic because it's it's easy to get get derailed on too many other things. But yeah, I mean, I think, I just think we should be cautious about the adventive AI. And a lot of people that I know that are developing AI are too convinced that that the only outcome is good and we need to consider potentially less good outcomes, and you know, to be careful and and and and really to monitor what's happening and make sure the public is aware of what's happening.
Speaker 14: I'm Gabrie rondoin from where I stood the innovation here in Sorbon I have a question about fundraising, specifically about the fundraising process regarding.
Speaker 1: What Tesla does.
Speaker 14: What is the most difficult thing to raise funds in the beginning, not now, because now you have a well developed project and the worldwide knows you and knows the Tesla also, but in the beginning about the industry that you are working about this kind of energy, What is the most difficult thing to find investors and also to convince investors and keep what you thought in the beginning throughout the development of the company.
Speaker 1: Sure well, in the beginning, uh, at the beginning of Tesla and and Soul City, I mean, I thought the probability of success was was so low that I provided all of the money, So all of the money was just came from me personally, because I didn't want to ask people other investors for money if I thought we were going to die, because I thought I thought we would, So so I invested you entirely the money that I got from PayPal, all of all of that got invested into Tesla, Sol City and SpaceX and and even then we only narrowly survived. So you know too that in two thousand and eight for Tesla, we actually closed the financing round on Christmas Eve, two thousand and eight. It was the last hour of the last day that it was possible. And you know, this is one of the tricky things with with something like a car company, is like there are good times and bad times, and when the economy goes south, then that's when things get really really tricky for a manufacturing company. So yeah, I mean in the US, for example, like the only two car companies that haven't gone bankrupt in history or forward in Tesla, that's it. Everybody else is bankrupt or went bankrupt at some point, you know, General Motives, Chrysler and others. So so I think we just made it by the skin of our teeth. These days. Last few years, it's really really I'd say, you know, the last two years is when Tesla's achieved a level where it's not facing imminent death. I mean even as recently as early twenty thirteen, we were operating with maybe one to two weeks of money. Hi.
Speaker 15: My name is Pascal, and I would like to ask you, don't you think that we need a deeper reflection about our dynamic of society because all the solutions that we're talking about is about efficiency. But don't you think that we need to sing differently and consume less because right now our didn't make is about confronting problems and going always in the same direction and trying to find the technological innovasion to save us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I do think we should be watch our consumption. We shouldn't be wasteful. But even if we're really conservative in our use of energy and very effective with recycling and all sorts of things, that that that delays the that the need to move to a sustainable future, but it doesn't eliminate it. Like if we don't have sustainable energy generation, that that there's no way that we can conserve our way to a good future. We have to fundamentally make a sustainable energy available. I mean, on on the plus side, that there's actually an enormous amount of sustainable energy. The energy from the sun pers per square kilometer is a giga white. So if you just had a one kilometer by one kilometer array of solar panels generating, well, it would be receiving a gigawatt of solar energy. Then at a twenty percent efficiency, you would be generating two hundred megawahtes. So we can actually generate way more energy, like probably a hundred times more energy than we actually need to operate civilization just with solar panels. So we just need to fix the stata structure of the world to make sure that that companies are incentive towards sustainable versus unsustainable technology. This is fundamentally the problem. Hello.
Speaker 16: My name is Lily and I'm a PhD physics students at Yale University that I graduated here. So I have three questions. So the first one is sort of political because because you mentioned it, you said that scientists sometimes they diverge, they have different.
Speaker 1: Opinions, and it's probably on anything.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and that's also probably because sometimes they are financed by different corporations, and so you said that we should stop the propaganda, we should try to ask the politicians to set the rules so that we will go in a better direction, you know, not a climate you know, global warming. But so that probably goes against the interest of oil companies, but as well probably the governments themselves when they have a financial interest. So I was thinking perhaps your own I mean, perhaps we could have lobbyists ourselves, so that would be perhaps an efficient way to to have those rules put into you know, so these rules the carbon tax would be applied. So that's my first question because also you know, France is one of the main import of nuclear energy, so you know, trying to ask them for a tax carbon tax when themselves are the people who are making the most money from importing you know, nuclear energy from power plants.
Speaker 2: A little bit at our inference, we'll limited to one question per person for now, I think the thing So the.
Speaker 16: Other question is, you know, renewable jogy that that would be great, but it's going kind of intermittent, you know, like solar.
Speaker 7: Solar energy.
Speaker 16: Okay, that's great, but perhaps we need to store it with perhaps with batteries. But we we want we want to use like sure, yeah, I see the last one was the fossil sial era. I mean yeah, I mean is it not going to go to an end on its own because it's not an unlimited resource?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 17: Maybe pick one out of the three questions, you know.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I mean I think it's each government should just that they should do the right thing without waiting, without depending upon what other governments are doing, like the I think that's that there's too much in these pliant climate talks of countries like trying to only do things if another country does it. I mean, if something, if it's if it's the right if it's the right thing for the future, a country should just do it and don't worry about what other countries are doing. Just do the right thing. And many of the countries are so it's it's really just, you know, we just don't want to encourage as many governments as possible to change the rules to insent a good future. That this is fundamentally what what what has to happen or we will substantially lay the transition away from carbon so and and yeah, so that that's that's what has to happen. And and and you know, Tesla and Soulial study that my companies are very tiny, like we're tiny, tiny companies. So the in order for there to be a big move towards sustainability, the giant companies have to know that that that that is what the governments demanding for the future, and that's what the people are demanding for the future. So at the end of the day, if you know, the governments respond to to flood to popular pressure, Like if you tell politicians that that you will vote depends on them doing the right thing with climate change, that that makes a difference. So if they're having sort of a fundraising event or a dentive party or whatever, and at every fundraising event, every dynive party, somebody's asking them, hey, what are you doing about the climate, then they will take action. So I think you have tremendous power. You have the power to make the change. We can't. We can't. Let me tell you, we definitely can't beat the oil and gas industry on lobbyists. Okay, this is that that would be a losing battle. You know, the you know, uh, Exon makes more profit in a year than the value of the entire solar industry in the United States. So it's like if you take every solar company the United States, it's less than excellent profit in one year. There's no way you can win on money. It's impossible. Good evening. So I've just one small question, very actual. Do you think the coup twenty one will be a success?
Speaker 8: You know, I am.
Speaker 1: I don't have any real basis for this, but I have a good feeling about it. I do have a good feeling about it, so I think, well, it's going to be degrees of success. So it's sort of like like, for example, like the Copenhagen was terrible, like nothing, nothing came out of Copenhagen. The Copenhagen climate talks, I mean it was basically I think there was a net increase in global warming as a result of that one. Unfortunately, in the case of the Paris talks, I think there will be some positive movement, and it's a question of what degree. And I think we need to send a clear message to the negotiating teams and to the politicians that this time there needs to be significant change. At this time, something needs to happen. There's a question all the way up on them.
Speaker 17: Hello and thank you for coming. My name is Marianne. I'm a student of international relations.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 17: My question here is this, we know that climate is global or common good, So how do we get countries with economies relying heavily on fossil fuels on board with climate change? Which like, how do we get those who have the most to lose on board?
Speaker 1: Thank you? I think I think we just need to turn that argument around and say, like, look, this, this is a common good and if if, if we if, if countries don't take action, that they all will share in a bad future, so that they need that everyone needs to take action and and care about what the future is going to hold and lead by example. So even countries that that are quite dependent on on fossil fuels, if they just change their tax structure, they can they can move away from that in in a way that's not super disruptive to the economy. It's really just a question of collecting like the same amount of taxes, but but weighted towards uh things that that's that people believe are most likely to be bad instead of things that are most likely to be good. And we do this already in you know, in in in our tax code, we we tax alcohol and cigarettes much more than we tax fruits and vegetables. It's just sort of the sensible things, the sensible thing to do, and nobody you know, you don't and you don't here, you know countries saying well, we make lots of fruits, you know, we make lots of fruits and vegetables, so like we we want lower taxes, or we make lots of alcoholics, background we want, you know, lower taxes. Like that's a silly debate that it's gone. And I think the same thing applies to to carbon emissions. Just just adjust the tax code and the right thing will happen over time. And if you if you're graduated over time and you know it starts so small and becomes significant in the future, then even if you're heavily dependent on corbon today, the that that that that message of seeing what's going to happen in the future will have a huge impact on UH, on the way that that any given country's economy works, so so so they will then become not dependent on carbon because of the incentive structure. So I really don't think they have anything to lose here, and anything to lose by taking action, and a lot to lose by not taking action.
Speaker 2: We have time for maybe two or three more questions, So there's one right here.
Speaker 1: Hi, My question is about batteries.
Speaker 18: So electric batteries today, especially liftimayon have a significant carbon footprint and potential impacts on both the environments and our health. And the environmental impact moves away from consumables and to how the way how we produce and how we store the waste that comes from it. So the gap with fossil fuels might not be as wide as we think. So my question how do you respond to this and how do you see this evolving in the next years?
Speaker 1: So I'm not sure I totally understand that question. Could you say that again?
Speaker 18: Yeah, basically the impact on the environment of today are ways of electrical batteries, production of lithium ion batteries, and how do you equate this with fossil fuel and its impact as it's more about the production and how we use the waste and how we store the waist and so how do you see this, How is this going to be optimized in the next years or is this going to change?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, the one thing is like once you once you've built a battery, then at the end of life, of the battery. You can recycle those components. So it's it's a it's it's something that you know has no long term or negligible long term impact on the carbon cycle because you essentially you get those of the lithium and nickel, cobalt and and you create create the battery you created. You just essentially get those materials once and then you recycle them forever. So I think that the it's really a negligible impact for for for batteries on the environment. And uh yeah, and as compared to carbon producing, mining and verting billions of tons of carbon every year, which which effectively permanently from from a pumous standpoint affects the carbon the carbon content of the ocean's and atmosphere. So yeah, it's it's really we're talking orders of magnitude difference between uh, fossil fuels and batteries, like you're not not even on the same scale.
Speaker 19: Then the last one, hello, as on my question is taking into consideration of the technology, now, is it some of a breaking point it is advanced, but not so advanced to pass to the sustainable clean energy? How do you see this integration of clean energy in for long term in the future, step by step, maybe.
Speaker 1: How do I see the integration? How do I see this getting to a sustainable energy future? Yes?
Speaker 19: Yes, How will will the clean energy integrate into a society? Thinking into the consideration that technology isn't advanced.
Speaker 1: Sure, well, I mean I expect, you know, all transport to go fully electric over time, with the ironic exception of rockets, and then all energy production to go sustainable over time. This will take this will take a long time, many decades. But you know, the way it will manifest itself is by people having batteries in their homes or at the utility substation, and by driving you know, electric vehicles and having electric planes. But as I said that this is this is going to be quite a very slow transition because the instead of structure is so biased against sustainable energy. So in fact, even I think even if there's quite a strong action by government as a result of of the climate talks in Paris, I think it's still going to be a transition that's measured in decades. So it will be it will be a slow, slow transition. And and and the fundamental question is how do we accelerate that transition? That that's the real question here, what actions can we take that would accelerate a transition to a good future. And that's why I'm so so harping on this notion of a revenue neutral and tax i. Think that's something that that every country can implement, and it can be graduated and faced and over time, and this is this will be by far the most effective thing for accelerating that transition to a good future.
Speaker 8: Kay.
Speaker 1: Thanks, all right, Well, thank you everyone, m
Speaker 4: All right, all right,