Speaker 1: Welcome, welcome, welcome time Now for Nat to beat right here on k on one. You drust and we have John West Indian studio here, young man.
Speaker 2: I am doing great, Tom o Ceo Nagata, Hello everyone, Osta, Suna Lee, good morning and happy Monday, which in Cherokee is known as unado.
Speaker 1: Dot kuan nahi. So how are you? Tom? How is how is your weekend? Uneventful? Just the way I like it exactly. Yeah, you get to a certain age and uneventful is good. Oh, it's a blessing, it really is.
Speaker 2: We usually asking Cherokee at tohitu, which just means how are you, and you'd respond back oast. But the course, that's assuming you have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: O oast. That's right. Good.
Speaker 2: So anyway, as always, we like to start out by thanking our sponsor, Coffeeville Cooperative Credit Union located three thirteen West nine Street and Coffeeville. They're all about providing with great personal financial services. They want to remind you they'll be closed for National Indigenous People's Day, or as some would call it, Columbus Day. I'm not going to wade into that controversy. Speaking of holidays, if you're not experiencing any anxiety right now, you may be when you consider we have only eighty days left until Christmas, so let the countdown begin. And if you're anything like me, you'll start your Christmas shopping a few days before Christmas. But those who want to get a jump on the holidays might wonder how you'll get through these without extra funds. So go talk to the people at Claffville Cooperative Credit Union.
Speaker 1: They're there to help.
Speaker 2: Head on up to see Lyle Martin's staff. They'll help make your financial goals whatever they may be, a success. Coffeeviell Cooperative Credit Union, It's where you belong. Check them out on Facebook or their website at cooperativecu dot com. Insured by NCUA. Speaking of Lyle Martin, mister Martin had his birthday. He celebrated four days ago on October third, and Native Beat would like to extend to him its heartiest birthday wishes.
Speaker 1: Yle is not only the president.
Speaker 2: Of Coffeeville Cooperative Credit Union, he has served on the boards of two of our Cherokee communities here.
Speaker 1: In Washington County.
Speaker 2: The Cherokee Cultural Community in Dewey located at seven hundred East Durham and actually it's the other one is Nowata County. The Native American Fellowship Incorporated, located in the South Coffeeville While is there any time one of our communities needs help or fellow Cherokees need help.
Speaker 1: He's a great guy.
Speaker 2: He's very community minded and believes in helping others without asking anything in return, and that is working in the spirit of goodoogie, which is what our Cherokee concept of working together is. He's an all around a great person. I really considered a privilege to work beside him.
Speaker 1: And know him.
Speaker 2: Nata Beet would also like to thank you for our listeners, for your continued support and tuning in. Without you, we wouldn't be here locally. The past few weeks and next few weeks will be busy. What happened, and we'll be busy for our Native communities. The last weekend in September was truly a busy one. Native American Fellowship, which is in District eleven of the Cherokee Reservation, located in South Coffeeville, celebrate its annual unity gathering. They packed a lot into the five hours of celebration they had.
Speaker 1: It was a great event.
Speaker 2: They had traditional Cherokee games like hatchet throwing and Cherokee marbles. They served traditional and non traditional foods like grape dumplings to everyone, and of course, being diabetic, I had to make sure I moderated my intake grap dumplings.
Speaker 1: You know, you've always got to do that, and any exercise with the hatchet, that's exactly right. So it canceled it out. See it's perfect.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it was estimated they had anywhere from eight hundred and fifty to one thousand people in attendance, which is just great. I mean that community is thriving up there. They had speakers including the newly applanted District eleven Tribal Counselor at Kendram mcgeee at Large Councilor Johnny Jack Kidwell. Kendra mcgheey was appointed to fill the term of Victoria Vasquez, who was the former Deputy Speaker of the Cherokee Tribal Council. Victoria was a Cherokee National Treasure.
Speaker 1: She's a potter.
Speaker 2: Her mother was Ani Mitchell, which may sound familiar to some Cherokees listeners because Ani Mitchell. The Animichal Cultural Center and Venita is named for her. It serves as both a cultural center and a welcome center there on Route sixty six and I forty four. Ani Mitchell was a Cherokee National Treasurer in her own right because she actually revived the art of Southwestern traditional pottery and that inspired a whole generation of art us to pursue that. They've got a wonderful museum up there dedicated to her. It's just it's a beautiful cultural center. The UNI gathering at Nafidough. It also featured drummers, dancers, a Native art market, and the chief even came to speak. And we shouldn't forget the annual Tomahawk Throwing Championship this year. There were a couple of teams participating and it was the Native American Fellowship and the Kansas City Cherokee Community. And I ended up playing on theo the Kansas City Cherokee Community and unfortunately we lost.
Speaker 1: We didn't farewell for a player to be named.
Speaker 2: Well, no, actually, you know, it was funny because I started throwing and I hadn't picked up a tomahawk in like a month or two, and they were like, we're getting a little worried because he was doing so well. And then Kansas City was like how would you like to be on our team? And so I was like, okay, yeah, I'll go ahead and do it. But we ended up losing anyway. So now the Native American Fellowship is to be the second year that they've won the championship, so they've earned bragging rights for another year. Let me tell you they exercised those bragging rights.
Speaker 1: Oh, they do, they do. They do loud and proud. They're loud and proud. That's absolutely right. And so we mentioned Venita a little earlier.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Venda, they celebrated Cherokee Day on the same Saturday as the Native American Fellowship Unity Gathering. Cherokee Day takes place at the Eastern Trails Museum. They could typically kick off the event with a parade. Its purpose is to mark the occasion the signing of the eighteenth thirty nine treaty between the Old Seller Cherokees and the Cherokees who came over on the Trail of Tears. There were ones that were already settled here and then the ones that came later. They kind of formed the new government and they came together as one Cherokee people.
Speaker 1: So we celebrate that union. In eighteen thirty nine.
Speaker 2: The Eastern Trails Museum has several artifacts that tell the story of the Cherokee people and Cherokee Day and Venita had several Cherokee treasures doing cultural demonstrations and live music provided by the Cherokee Adult Choired and had interactive demonstrations and carving, storytelling, basket weaving, and traditional games like Cherokee marbles and things like that. Benita is chief Hoskins Backyard. That's his hometown. It is in fact, his father was mayor there for several years, and he was in attendance and headed up to Nafigue to the Affe Unity gathering after that, and also he had in tow with him the famed flutist Tommy Wildcat, who is no stranger to anything Cherokee.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't know. I think he may have. He may have you.
Speaker 2: I know, he's put out several albums, you know, terrific flutists, and he makes his own flutes which are amazing.
Speaker 1: Gathers Rivercane to do that.
Speaker 2: This past weekend, the Nuita Cherokee community had its annual art market. I always find some good things there for Christmas. That's where I do a little bit of Christmas shopping. In fact, I encourage everyone who wants to find unique gifts for Christmas to attend some of the native art markets and buy from local artists, because the money you put back you spend there will actually put back into our local economy. And I'd love to keep the money here instead of sitting it to Amazon or Walmart or yeah. Yeah, and and I know a lot of other people would as well. And the New Eia Community will also be hosting a tribal registration and photo ID event at their.
Speaker 1: Building on October tenth from three to seven pm.
Speaker 2: They're located right across the street from the Will Rogers Health Center and as a ten twenty six Lenape Drive, Cherokee Nation was in a loss of this past weekend, they had one of those events and they had processed over five hundred IDs and signed up one hundred new citizenship or citizens to the roles. Not only is tribal registration there, but also other departments are there to provide information about different programs and services we provide our citizens. So it's definitely something we're going to especially if you don't have a tribal photo ID. You know a lot of people still don't, so we want to make sure that those people step up and get that ID and just get it done exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would be a great thing to have.
Speaker 2: On October nineteenth, the Washington County Cherokee Association will be hosting our own Cultural Celebration Day from.
Speaker 1: Ten am three pm.
Speaker 2: We'll have food vendors, hand on crafts such as feather painting and beating, a native art market as well.
Speaker 1: In fact, we'll even have authors there.
Speaker 2: I believe last year we had Joe Don Brave, so we're going to have some great artists. We'll have traditional games such as tomahawk throwing, and we'll be doing blow dart guns. Our spring Cultural Celebration was a blast. We actually had so many folks participating as we did with the hands on crafts that we ran out of materials. So we're hoping that doesn't happen this time because it was just people were just really enthusiastic about it and it was a great turnout. We encourage everyone to come out and have a good time while.
Speaker 1: Learning about Cherokee culture. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: We have some exciting things going out to Washington County Cherokee Association. We recently completed the installation of a digital sign that was provided to us by a grant from Cherokee Nation and the Cherokee Community and Cultural Outreach Department. We'd like to extend a big wadeau thank you to Chief Hoskin, the Cherokee Nation and CCO. It's truly a great thing for our organization and we're extremely grateful for their help. I mean, it's going to be something that we can provide information on, we can let people know that we're there, you know, and it's it's a great roadside addition. It's it's just going to really help us out bring awareness more.
Speaker 1: To the community.
Speaker 2: Chief Hoskin also decided we needed a permanent version of the Housing, Jobs and Sustainability the Sustainable Communities Act to address housing needs considering the ongoing housing crisis that we see, you know, just all all over exactly, and this puts about forty million dollars a year every three years, and only into housing, but our community structures. Locally, we're being impacted by the chiefs commitment because right next to the Washington County Cherokee Association in Oceanlanda which is just used to the Kouskuty Health Clinic, I'm pleased to report constructions underway which will ultimately result in eleven to eleven four plexes for local families.
Speaker 1: We not only see this as.
Speaker 2: A great thing for local Cherokee citizens, but for the Washington County Cherokee Association, since we'll have an actively thriving.
Speaker 1: Community right next door to us.
Speaker 2: And the really awesome thing is that a lot of times priority is given to either veterans or or the elders for housing, which is understandable, you want to honor those folks. But we're also going to give priority to staff the work at the clinic because, you know, just making it be an easier thing for them to be working right right by, you know, where they live, so it'd be just a little small walk to the clinic for them. So I think that's a very interesting concept that we've come up with. We have a construction project underway to finish the Washington County Cherokee Association Community Building, and the bidding process was just completed this past week with the contractors. Once completed, we'll have a stay of the art facility with a full kitchen, classrooms, a media media center, making it and not only a great community building, but also a great venue for anyone wishing to run our space. We do have people that currently run our space now, but this is just going to kind of address the place up, make it a little nicer, make it a little more presentable and accessible to people. And we're just hoping that more people will decide to take us up on that offer and run our venue, because that's just why we put back in our community. And that's somebody that we use to help further the understanding of Cherokee culture. And I'm the secretary of the Washington kind of Cherokee Association. To be you know, ful to disclosure here, we hold a hot dog fundraiser at was a couple of weekends ago, and I'd like to think at Woods they're generosity and allowing us to be there and.
Speaker 1: Great they really are. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean, they do the setup, they provide the hot dogs, the buns, they provide a roaster, they provide the tables, you know, and they do this all at their own expense. You know, it's all free to nonprofits. I mean, we just provide the condiments and maybe chips. I think they even provide a soda. So we made a little over five hundred dollars. It went right into our community, which is really great. And you know, one of the things I was touched by was we have random people just come up to us and say, here's twenty bucks. We're here's you know, ten bucks. We don't want a hot dog, We just want to contribute to you guys, and it just, you know, it really makes you feel good because we do believe in a very giving community, you know. And that's one of the things I just love about Barbosville is people when I see a need, they just step up and they help out, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's good Sult of Earth people. Really.
Speaker 2: So while dough to everyone who came out or helped us set up, who worked with sand. We had a tremendous response among our volunteers and an excellent crew working that day. I'm always impressed by the enthusiasm of our members and when there's work to be done, they step up and do a great job, and it's really something to be held. We can't forget to mention Delaware Days, which is a couple of weekends ago. I say the Stomp Dance on that Saturday and evening. It's a two day celebration of Delaware culture, traditions and history.
Speaker 1: I'm always impressed with a turnout of these events. It's encouraging because you'll sit.
Speaker 2: There and you'll watch some of these dances, and up at the very front you'll see like maybe a bench of kids that are, you know, younger than twelve years old, and it's like, you know, you guys, this is the next generation that's coming up, you know, And I just love seeing that because they are embracing their culture, they're learning about their culture, and they're going to be carrying on those traditions when they get older. You know. I just really I said, and I look at that. I think that's a wonderful thing to see.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we go today, we have a few announcements.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to check out our Cherokee community.
Speaker 2: Facebook pages for the latest events, news and meetings, Washington County Cherokee Association, Cherokee Cultural Center, and Dewey the we a Community Foundation in the Native American Fellowship in South Coffeeville. I encourage everyone, whether Cherokee or not, to find a community and get involved. As with many organizations, and I see this across the board, whether it's Kawanas, the Church, whatever membership is aging, and we really et younger people step up and take over some of these activities because it helps carry on our cultural traditions and our language before they're lost. I mean, they're going to be the keepers of all this, you know. I'd like to see the wider community engagement when it comes to our youth. This is something concern to every one of our Cherokee associations. It's something we have a chair of Washington County Cherokee Association or addressing through attracting new members or we're trying to get back the old ones and retain them. We want to make sure that they feel that they have a community and a home they can embrace their culture. Always check out the Delaware website and Sage Facebook pages. They've always had something fine, culturally meaningful happening. I asked for listeners not to forget the Tetan Trade Cloth store located one sixty Southwest Frank Phillips built at the Frank Phillips Boulevard the Johnstow Sier Building at their location at the Eastern Shopping Center. You can also shop online the tetantrade Cloth dot com. We have a couple of offices open to the Dewey community building, a Career Services office and Cherokee Nation Human Resources. My Career Services is open Monday through Friday from eight to five. Human Resources is Wednesday and Friday from eight to five. Cherokee Cultural Community will be having it's October meeting Thursday at six pm. There will be nurses on hand to provide flu shots after the potluck dinner. In November, the Washington Ky Cherokee Association we'll be hosting Daniel Harris at Sunda Avian Research Center to speak about efforts to revitalize the ball eagle population. And for those who don't know, we're located just east the Kuiskuoy Health Clinic on County Road twenty nine hundred. Also, be sure to catch our friends Chris Creane and Amy Dollar with Firebred journeys on our sister station to my sixth ninety KGGF. Check out their Facebook page and we want to say WAD to everyone, which is how we say thank you and Cherokee. Tune in and catch us with an exhibition of nata Beat October twenty first at nine forty five at the AM. You can catch nata Beat on the Barzel Radio Facebook page or on demands of the Barswel Radio app available on Apple Store. WANISHI, as they say in Delaware, wanse As, they say at osage and all of you I listening, I say doda do goha e