Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: How that good?
Speaker 4: Go your Amy?
Speaker 5: Okay, it's five o'clock, straight up, good morning.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Thursday, October tenth. I'm Amy King. The voice you just heard was Tudl, like the PA announcer at Dodger Stadium. We get to hear him at least one more time. How about those Dodgers winning eight to nothing last night, forcing a Game five in the National League Division Series. I swear I was watching the game. You're just on pins and needles, but it was. It was much more relaxing than the game the night before, and nice when the Dodgers come out and they get a lead, but then the padres are so powerful and so explosive. I was like, just pad that lead, pad that lead, and they did ate nothing. Way to go, guys. Also, I took rich Dedmiro's advice. He said to check around and do some hunting around for Prime Day deals and use that camel Camel camel thing because it'll tell you if the Amazon deals are the best ones, and I found one that was just as good at Costco. Bought a new computer yesterday. I don't have it yet, but I bought it. So I love the tech advice that rich Damiro gives us every week. Here's what's ahead on wake up Call. Hurricane Milton has slammed into the coast of Florida as a Category three storm, bringing life threatening storm surge, heavy rains, and wind. The storm has left more than three million customers without power. Several people were killed in the Saint Luci area from tornadoes spawned by the hurricane. The storm is expected to head out into the Atlantic Ocean today as rescue and recovery efforts get underway. ABC's Jim Ryan is in one of the hard hit areas. We're going to be talking with him in just a couple of minutes. There's been another flash mob style robbery at a seven to eleven. This one happened along Hollywood Boulevard. A group walked into the store Tuesday night. It's all on video, and started grabbing stuff off shelves. One of the employees was attacked when he tried to stop them. Everyone got away. The worker was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. Production of scripted film and TVs taking a big hit Film LA says production in twenty twenty three was down nearly twenty percent from the year before, continuing several years of decreases as more production moves to Ontario, New York, Georgia, and even the UK. Before the top of the hour, ABC's Steven Portnoy's going to join us and tell us about how President Trump plants are former President Trump or other plans to take the Big Apple and come up. At the bottom of the hour, our boo preview takes us to Big Bear for some chicken dancing. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Red Cross is pleading for more volunteers from California to help victims of Hurricane Milton. Dozens took off for Florida before the storm hit, joining others already on the ground from Hurricane Helene. The main focus is on staffing shelters. Volunteers can expect to stay two weeks, but officials say they could be there for months. Local crews from PG and E have also traveled to Florida. They're assisting in getting the lights back on as more than three million people are without power. A man who lives in Seminole, Florida, says he decided to ride out the storm at home after he saw Milton's track change.
Speaker 6: I've uncomfortable just hearing a few things hit the house, which we knew was gonna happen with all the projectiles from pollens being left over.
Speaker 1: Ran Carter says his home is about thirty seven feet up, so he's confident it won't be flooded out again. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan in just a minute from Tampa. He was brought to you by Ruderhiro dot Com. The State Attorney General's office says three Burbank police officers have been cleared of any criminal wrongdoing over the fatal shooting of a man in a home depot parking lot in May of last year. Officers were sent to the store after the man called nine to one one and threatened to shoot everyone at the store. The man also said he had a gun and that he was being chased by people who had kidnapped his daughter. Officers tried for hours to get the man to surrender, but at one point he got out of his car, took a shooting stance and aimed at officers. The man was actually holding a small knife, but Stay investigators said the officers were defending themselves and others. The CHP says a woman has been killed in the Antelope Valley after her car was hit by a rock on the Pear Blossom Highway.
Speaker 7: Officer Jordan Church says after the rock went through the windshield, the woman lost control of the car and it crashed. He says the woman was actually killed by the rock. That happened Tuesday. On Sunday, a driver was injured after a rock went through their windshields.
Speaker 8: Both reports that we have that have been confirmed as parts of this investigation.
Speaker 9: Both happened after eleven pm.
Speaker 7: The cars were near the intersection of Antelope and Pair Blossom Highways when the rocks were thrown. Church says there was no overpass or high ground and they have no idea where the rocks are being thrown from or who's throwing them. Steve Gregory tay if I.
Speaker 1: News, it's five oh seven on your Thursday morning wake up call. It's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan, who's in Tampa weathering the storm, so Jim, it's first light. The storm made landfall last night. What are you seeing?
Speaker 10: Well, it's beautiful right now in terms of the weather. It's practically calm. The rain is gone, the skies are clearing, and now it's time to clean up all the debris because it's all over the place, down trees, palm trees, all over the place, palm fronds. I've seen some roof damage, stuff blown around. Actually, I had to drive around a king size mattress, soaked mattress that was sitting in the middle of a downtown street here in Tampa this morning. But now the job of recovery begins. Three something like three million, three point two million power outages across the state to deal with. So Tampa did not take a direct hit. The Sarasota County down to the south of here did and we haven't heard yet what kind of damage might have been done down there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we don't know how much flooding we're seeing because we were expecting a storm surge of like ten to fifteen feet.
Speaker 10: Yes, right, and that might in fact have been the case. Tampa got very lucky. The nightmare scenario would have been, you know, the Tampa is the most populated area here in this region. The nightmare would have been a direct hit on Tampa Bay, the storm surge, filling up the bay and inundating the city and the spit of land out there that protects it from the Gulf of Mexico. That did not happen. The storm hit to the south of here, and given the counterclockwise rotation of these storms, it actually pulled some of the water out of Tampa Bay.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but we did have it. We had ninety three mile an hour winds here in downtown Tampa. We had again, you know, a lot of wind damage from stuff. Although it's hard to tell the debris from Milton from the debris left by Hurricane Helen two weeks ago, and remarkably amy, the tornadoes associated with this may go down as the deadliest part. Over Port Saint Lucie, one hundred and fifty miles away from the point of landfall, and hours before Milton came ashore, you had tornadoes, dozens of them spun off and including one that killed four people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, so and the Tampa Bay Rays Home took a pretty hard hit.
Speaker 10: It did. The roof was real tough. The Tropicana Field is where the Tampa Bay Rays feel play. It was being used as temporary housing. They had thousands of cots set up inside the stadium for the first responders and utility crews coming here from around the country.
Speaker 1: So it was like a staging area for them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly. And at the height of the storm, the fabric roof was torn off and nobody was heard. But suddenly the place had no roof.
Speaker 1: It's a fabric roof.
Speaker 10: It's it's teflon coated fiberglass. But once the wind got ahold of it just sort of shredded the stuff and it was waving in the wind like a flag. The steel structure that supports it. Apparently that okay, the building is not physically or structurally damaged, but you know, the roof has gone.
Speaker 1: Okay, AND's where's Milton headed now? Is it out to sea or is it still on floor off?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it jumped off around Cape Canaveral. It's still a Category one hurricane. But yeah, it's gone now, it's back out in the Atlantic. It'll die off here the next day or so.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, sounds like you're safe, and that's that's important to us. So We're glad and have fun driving around mattresses. We'll talk to you soon. Jim Ryan see me all right if he sees Jim Ryan in Tampa. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Police and Anaheim have released photos from a flash moll that stole lottery tickets, cigarettes, and a cash register from a seven to eleven.
Speaker 6: I know it's a trend in other areas, but this is not something we're going to tolerate here in Anaheim or in the county.
Speaker 2: Anaheim Police Sergeant Matt Sutter says dozens of people ransacked the store and left the clerk with a bloody nose.
Speaker 6: This is terrible for our small business owners. This guy's just trying to make a living provide for his family, and he didn't deserve this.
Speaker 2: Sutter says. The amount of money and merchandise taken in such robberies is typically far less than what it will cost a small business to recover. He says a street takeover Sunday blocked several streets near the seven eleven, which slowed the police response in Anaheim.
Speaker 1: Corbin Carson k if I News, the city of La is considering grant funding for small businesses to help them increase security. City council Woman Monica Rodriguez says businesses need extra protection as smash and grabs are on the rise.
Speaker 11: There's efforts to.
Speaker 7: Go cash lists.
Speaker 11: They're trying to really minimize the financial impacts that they're enduring from all of these the crime that they've been affected by in their local businesses.
Speaker 1: Rodriguez's motion has been approved by the city Council's Public Safety Committee. It directs the Economic Development Department to create a grant program and to find funding for it, possibly through state grants. A second lawsuit has been filed against the Norwalk Lamarada School District alleging sexual assault.
Speaker 12: Social sciences teacher Raymond Nieman has been accused of grooming and then having sex with his student. Attorney Lawrence Seri says the district has had three recent cases alleging sexual misconduct.
Speaker 11: This lawsuit has been filed to hold the school district accountable for failing to protect this student from being sexually abused.
Speaker 12: The complaint, filed Tuesday, alleges Nieman started grooming the student in the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine school year and that the principal knew there was something going on. Nieman is still listed on the school's website. Chris Adler KFI News.
Speaker 1: The district has not responded for comment. Two ballot measures in La would change the way districts are drawn for the city council and Board of Education. LA County Redistricting Commissioned Chairman Daniel may Maeta says the county has seen success since making the same change in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 13: The commissioners were united in our commitment to serve all of the residents of La County, and we completed our map drawing process on time, with dedication and competence.
Speaker 1: If measures d D and LLL are adopted by voters in November, independent redistricting commissions would be created to draw new boundaries. Neither council members nor school members would be involved in the process anymore. Prosecutors in La say they're investigating new evidence of possible sex crimes by rocker Marilyn Manson. DA George Gascone released a statement yesterday saying the new evidence emerged within the last few weeks. The singer, whose real name is Brian Warner, has been accused of sexual harassment and assault. His lawyer says the allegations are false, alleged to have taken place more than a decade ago, and are part of a coordinated attack by former partners and associates. The attorney says they have turned otherwise mundane details of Warner's personal life and their consensual relationships into fabricated horror stories. A new study from the University of California, San Francisco shows the effects of too much screen time and social media more negatively affect white children compared to black and Asian children.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons that we think this is that for minority youth, screens and social media may help facilitate connections with peers who share similar backgrounds and expand support networks.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jason Nagata of UCSF BENOIF Children's Hospital says the effects including anxiety, depression, and behavioral problems. The study followed about ninety five hundred and nine and ten year olds. It also found that spending a lot of time in front of screens led to slightly higher levels of inattention and aggression and alleged DUI driver's been arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter for killing a woman who was out for a walk in Anaheim. Police Sergeant Matt Sutter says the driver was speeding when he lost control of his Mercedes, plowed through a green belt, and went into a river bed.
Speaker 6: This was a terribly tragic event and there's no excuse for this driving while intoxicated. It just totally destroyed this family.
Speaker 1: Sutter says. Another man walked up during the investigation Tuesday and told officers that his wife had gone for a walk and hadn't returned. Sutter says a helicopter was called in and the woman's body was found near the crash site. Minnesota Governor and vice presidential candidate Tim Walls says the electoral college needs to go. He said during a campaign fundraiser with California Governor Knews him this week that the country needs a national popular vote. Walls apparently made similar comments at an earlier fundraiser in Seattle. A Harris Walls campaign spokes later clarified Governor Walls believes that every vote matters in the electoral college and he is honored to be traveling in the country and battleground states working to earn support for the Harris Walls ticket. Okay. Scientists say they now know what the head of the biggest bug ever to crawl the earth looks like. They say. It was a round bulb with two short bell shaped antenna, two protruding eyes, kind of like a crab, and had a little tiny mouth that was used for grinding leaves and bark. The extinct bug used to grow to nine feet long. It weighed more than one hundred pounds. Oh my god. It had features of modern day centipedes and millipedes. If that's not stuff the nightmares are made of, I don't know what is. Winds from Hurricane Milton have ripped the roof off Saint Petersburg Tropicana Field, the home of Major League Baseball's Tampa Bay Rays, was being used as a base camp and staging air for thousands of emergency workers. I hate crime investigation is underway after several Dave min campaign signs in Huntington Beach were vandalized with anti Asian slurs. Min is of Korean heritage. He's a Democratic state senator running against Republican Scott bah for Katie Porter's congressional seat. The Irvine Police Department has unveiled its shiny new Tesla cyber truck. The truck will be used to promote the city's anti drug dare program. The cyber truck costs the department over one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Let's say good morning now to educational program director for the Walton Family Foundation, Romy Drucker. Good morning, Romy, good morning.
Speaker 14: Thank you for having me on Mental Health Day.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us now. It is World Mental Health Awareness Day, October tenth, and Romy, we have reason to worry about gen Z. In a new survey, an overwhelming majority say they're not prepared to succeed in both college and career.
Speaker 14: Why is that, Well, one thing we know from this survey is that our young people need us now more than ever before. Only twenty percent feel that their mental health is excellent, and we think that one of the reasons for that is that they don't feel prepared for their future. A vast majority say that they don't feel equipped to make decisions about what that future holds from them in terms of relationships, in terms of career prospects.
Speaker 1: Okay, so do we know why they don't feel prepared.
Speaker 14: What kids are saying, and especially high school students, is that school just doesn't feel relevant to them. It doesn't feel like it's exposing them and giving them the experiences to understand what that future can hold. So how do we make high school in particular, a place that is not boring but relevant relevant to future career? Is giving them experiences that can help them unlock what they want to do in life.
Speaker 1: And does anybody have any idea on how to do that?
Speaker 14: There's a lot of really great models out there, including some in Los Angeles. I had a chance to recently visit a school called Da Vinci Connect and one of the principles and values of that school is agency giving students a choice to pursue projects and experiences that really help them explore their passions. And we think at the Walton Family Foundation that all schools can be organized to do that, to give students an opportunity to learn things that matter in our foundational but also speak to their interests.
Speaker 1: So what are you what kinds of projects and experiences? I mean, are you talking about art projects or are you talking about community projects? Or because they still need the foundational learning even though they might not think it's relevant, We've never thought it was relevant.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, there are a lot of high schools out there that are a able to marry academic requirements in history, math, and ela but also give students the chance to explore future careers. So, for example, there's a school in Alabama that is focused on aerospace and aviation and preparing students for careers in those industries. So when students are in their math class, they're learning about math concepts in the context of what those careers require. And then they're also doing internships and apprenticeships with companies that work in that space, and so they're able to, as you noted, meet their academic requirements, but also see what's out there.
Speaker 1: So basically you're still you're still advocating for teaching the basics, but then also showing them how that might be relevant in their life as they grew up. Because I remember, we used to sit in math class all the time say we're never going to use this, We're never going to use this. We learned it anyway, Exactly how do we make the basics moreing and relevant?
Speaker 14: And students are saying that's what they want. When I have spoken to students and in the seventeen thousand students who have participated in this survey, a headline is help us find what's interesting to us, help us feel a sense of purpose in school. And so everyone needs to learn math and history, and also we can do that in a way that is project based and experiential.
Speaker 1: Okay. In the survey that we were discussing, they talk about good mental health, excellent mental health. How would you define good mental health?
Speaker 14: I think good mental health for this generation means feeling a sense of connectedness to an everyday experience. So, as I noted, students want to feel like school is relevant. They want to feel like it's preparing them for success. So that both means the foundational skills, but it also means they're developing skills that help them feel confident, like public speaking skills and networking skills. And when students are equipped with those skills, it helps them feel like they're going somewhere, like they're moving forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, and so what have we done wrong as a society that all generation doesn't feel like they're ready for the real real world? I mean, because again, if you look at the generation before us, did that generation feel like they were ready? Is this a new thing or is this something that is an ongoing problem?
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 14: One unique characteristic of gen z that has come through in our survey results time and time again is that they are hopeful. They are optimistic about their future, even though they're also telling us they don't feel prepared. So one thing we need to do is listen. We need to listen to what they're saying about what they want their school experience to look like and try to work together as educators and families to make that happen. Employers also play a role in that because they are hiring students for jobs of the future, and so how do we work together across sectors to shape and experience for young people that's going to help them feel motivated and get them into those careers.
Speaker 1: Okay, and it it will remain a problem most likely ROMI too, because I just I just read an article about how gen zers are getting jobs, but then they're not performing at them. It's a different mentality like when when I started working, it was like, you know, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, you learn as you go, you fall, you get back up, and some of the gen Zers will fall and then go I can't handle this and they'll leave or get fired.
Speaker 14: Resilience is really important, and the way to develop resilience is to have the opportunity to try things out and make mistakes. So the earlier in a child's educational journey that we can give them exposure to careers, to jobs, to what's out there for them and let them try things out, I think the more successful they'll be in the long term.
Speaker 1: Well. And I think that comes into play too, because, like again going back to when I was growing up and my friend's kids were growing up, like they were getting jobs and trying stuff out and stuff before they actually had to be out in the real world. And you know, I worked at a fast food place and then went, Okay, well I don't want that for my life, but I tried it and learned what the work world was like. And it seems like fewer gen Zers are working, you know, as they're growing up, not once they're over eighteen, but when they're younger.
Speaker 14: Definitely, those work based experiences make a difference. And it's great to know what you like doing. It's also really helpful to know what you don't like doing and what you don't feel like you're good at. My best internship was one that just like didn't feel like the right fit for me, and so again, how do we expose students through men, through coursework, through projects, and through work based experiences life apprenticeships to really help them see again what's out there, what unlocks their sense of purpose and what's going to make them feel fulfilled in the long run.
Speaker 1: Okay, Romy Drucker, thank you so much for the information. This is really interesting and it is World Mental Health Awareness Day? Is there any is there somewhere people can go and either find out about that study or find out more about World Mental Health Awareness Day.
Speaker 14: You can learn more about mental health and our work in education at Waltonfamilyfoundation dot org Flash Mental Health Day.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thank you so much, Romy Drucker. Appreciate your time this morning.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. More than three million people in Florida are without power because of Hurricane Milton. The storm made landfall near Sarasota last night as a Category three storm with winds over one hundred miles per hour. It even produced some tornadoes, and at least four deaths have been reported. ABC's Wit johnson' s'ys. Milton weakened to a Category one storm as it moved across Florida overnight, but was still dangerous.
Speaker 15: It's definitely getting worse.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 6: You can see, sorry, we're gotting the heavy guys here.
Speaker 1: You can see the street light here swaying in the wind, the palm trees bending as well. Saint Peterson or Saint Petersburg brother recorded over sixteen inches of rain and flash flooding. The stadium that's home to the Tampa Bay raysed baseball team in Saint Petersburg was badly damaged. Emergency response teams from LA and Orange County have been sent to the East coast to help people dealing with Hurricane Milton. The Orange County Fire Authority says its Type one team of thirty three personnel is the first one deployed in sixteen years. A team from LA Fire has also been sent to help with Femas relief efforts. Kevinor Newsom has signed two new laws to help cities prepare for major storms. One will speed up regular maintenance of stormwater channels and facilities. The other allows for quicker review of permit applications for infrastructure projects. A man fatally shot by a police officer is stabbed in mont A man fatally shot by a police officer in Santa Monica was using a stolen knife.
Speaker 8: The man had pushed a target employee down and stole a box of knives before heading towards the police station.
Speaker 11: So basically it's a shoplifting using force or fear, which turns into a SD's robbery.
Speaker 1: The obviously the employee was really shocked.
Speaker 8: Santa Monica Police Lieutenant Erica A. Kloofy says the man took an aid in chef's knife from the box on his way to the police station Saturday. He then used the knife to stab the officer several times before the officer shot him. The officer was treated for several stab wounds. In Santa Monica, Blake Trolley k if I knew.
Speaker 1: Mere professional twenty two time Grand Slam champion Raphael In the Dell has announced his retirement. He posted a video on social media saying he is leaving tennis at the age of thirty eight following next month's Davis Cup finals. Nadal says in Spanish that everything he has experienced has been a dream come true and he leaves with the absolute peace of mind of having given his best. He says the last two years have been especially difficult physically. He says it was a difficult decision to retire. About that everything has a beginning and an end, and how about those Dodgers. There's no end yet. This song just popped into my mind when I was thinking about the Dodgers. Do you know why did you change things?
Speaker 3: He'll go your way and the Dodgers held on for another day. They're headed back up the freeway for Game five of the National League Division Series.
Speaker 1: That's after the Dodgers beat Sandy last night eight nothing at pet Co Park. The series is tied at two games apiece. The series deciding Game five is tomorrow night at Dodger Stadium. Former President Trump says he's got a shot at turning New York red. To Bolster's chances, he'll hold a rally at New York's Madison Square Garden nine days before the election. The New York Post says the garden seats nineteen thy five hundred, and Trump says he expects to fill all of them. We'll be talking more about this with ABC's Stephen Portnoy coming up in about twelve minutes. Taylor Swift has donated five million dollars to Feeding America to help communities affected by Hurricanes Helene and Milton. Feeding America says Swift's donation will help provide food, clean water, and other supplies. Swift is scheduled to restart her Era's tour next weekend for three shows at hard Rock Stadium in Miami at six oh five its handle on the news. A storm chaser's family has found the perfect final resting place for him. And as I mentioned at five point fifty ABC, Stephen Portenoy's going to join us to tell us about how President Trump plans to take over the Big Apple. We're cutting out pan about to different locations around southern California to share fun things coming up this spooky holiday season. For this one, grab your beer steins and your leader hosen. Wait, maybe this is the wrong music. Let's do this music instead. Here we go. Let's say good morning to the director of Big Bear Lakes Octoberfest. It's Monica Marini. Good morning, Monica, good morning. So it's not so HALLOWEENI but it's a staple of fall in the mountains of southern California. It's the Big Bear Octoberfest. And you're underway and finally all roads lead to Big Bear.
Speaker 9: Right, Yes, we are full swing ahead.
Speaker 1: So you've been extended or you've extended the run of Octoberfest because of the fires kind of put a monkey wrench in things this year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we had a forgo a weekend early in our event because we run we start in September and run through early November. But this year we'll be adding November ninth on, kind of as it do over weekend to make up for the weekend we lost.
Speaker 1: Okay, and as I mentioned, some of the roads had been closed, but now everything's open and you have full access to Big Bear. The evacuation orders are down, the fires about out all that that stuff, so it's sort of smooth sailing to get up there now.
Speaker 9: It is it is Highway thirty eight opened two days ago, and then you can still come up over Highway eighteen through Lucern and Highway eighteen through San Bordino. So getting up here is just as easy as it's ever been. And it's beautiful fall in the mountains, and we thank our firefighters for doing such a great job keeping fire out of Big Bear Valley.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so tell us, Monica, what are people gonna see? And taste and do when they come out to the Big Bear Octoberfest.
Speaker 9: Well, they'll be doing some chicken dancing as you played our theme song, and then they'll be they'll have all the authentic German suits that brought the sauerkraut, the apple Strudel. We also have three bands from Germany this year, direct from Germany. We're one of the few Octoberfests that still brings bands over from Germany. But it lends a lot of authenticity to the event and there's nothing like hearing the brass section of the German band. We also have our contest log sign Steinholding. It's a lot of fun, good time.
Speaker 1: What's the log stein? What's that?
Speaker 9: So there's log sawing, which is a two person log sewing events, and then we have sawing sorry, and then we have steinholding where folks can try to hold up the one leaders sign as long as they can.
Speaker 1: Is it filled with beer.
Speaker 9: Fortunately for the contest to know, because we get a lot of village. We don't like to waste good beer exactly.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned a bunch of food. What's your favorite food at the Octoberfest.
Speaker 9: I have to say the broadwast.
Speaker 1: I love broadwast yeah, and it's authentic German broadwast.
Speaker 9: It is it is. We use a German butcher out of Glendale, so our broughts are as authentic as they can get. A matter of fact, it's funny our German bands come over and they eat our food them. I was like, oh no, I hope it's good. They love it absolutely, I love it.
Speaker 1: And this isn't only an adult's only event. I mean, you know that at Octoberfest there's a lot of beer drinking, but there is some stuff for the kids too.
Speaker 9: There is we have a whole Munich Midway section which has bounce houses and kids game and on Sundays where Family Day and so on Sundays we do kids contests as well, a little kids steinholding kind of mock steinholding pretzel toss.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay. And for those who just can't tear themselves away from football on Sunday, boat Bear like, Octoberfest is still the place to be, right.
Speaker 9: That's right. We've got two big eighty five inch screen TVs showing all the games.
Speaker 1: I love that. Okay, So, Monica, are there places a lot of places to stay up there or can we do it? It's a day trip do you need to make a whole weekend out of it?
Speaker 9: You could do it either way. You can drive up for the day. You know, it's the beauty of southern California. You can go to the beach in the mountains all on one day, so you can go to October Fest in the beach in one day, or you know, enjoy beautiful fall weekend and big Bear. It's gorgeous up here right now. The nights are nice and chris the daytime is you know, in the mid sixties, and so it's just it's a great chance to get away for a couple of days. All the lodging properties are open. There's plenty of places to stay. Just a it's a fun getaway.
Speaker 1: I love that. And do you need to buy tickets in advance? You can you get them when you get there.
Speaker 9: We do recommend folks we purchase their tickets and they can do that at bigber Events dot Com. But we do recommend that. But we do always have tickets available at the gate as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then at Big Beer Events dot Com. You can also find out where lodging is and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 9: Yep, you can get hold of our lodging partners. You can find out all the times, what's going on, which bands are playing. We have on our outside stage. We have classic rock and country bands at play, So if you're a little tired of listening to German music, you can pop outside and listen to something a little bit more.
Speaker 1: American, okay and Monica. If someone's thinking about coming up, but it's kind of on the fence about it, what can you say that might get them over the hump and get them up to Big Bear Lake, Just.
Speaker 9: Get away from it, get away from the city, come on up, enjoy it with beautiful fall weather. Fire is over and gone. Well it's not over, but it's no longer a thread at all to Big Bear. We have had no smoke for probably two or three weeks now, so it's perfect time to get away, okay.
Speaker 1: And it's is it Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 9: We are in October, we're Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And then when we go into November, we're just Saturday.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then again the place to go get all the information and get your tickets and all of.
Speaker 9: That is Big Bear Events dot Com.
Speaker 1: All right, we wish you much success and I hope that the fires don't dampen the spirits, because like you said, they're gone now, and so it's it's clear and let's get up there and support Big Bear Lake.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, absolutely, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Monica Marine. I appreciate your time this morning.
Speaker 9: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: You got it. So the Dodgers beat the Padres eight to nothing. That ties the series at two games each, and the Dodgers return to Dodger Stadium for Game five of the National League Division Series tomorrow night. First pitch goes out at five oh eight. You can listen to the game on AM five seventy LA Sports or in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seventy LA worts powered by Zenschi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and Easy. Hurricane Milton has slammed into the coast of Florida as a Category three storm, bringing life threatening storm surge, heavy winds, and rain. The storm has left more than three million customers without power. Several people have been killed in the Saint Lucie area from tornadoes. The storm is expected to head out into the Atlantic Ocean today, so and then rescue and recovery efforts are getting underway. Lamps plus has agreed to pay more than four million dollars to settle claims of false advertising. The DA's offices of La Riverside and two other counties alleged the ads didn't reveal that Lamp Plus or lamps Plus's price match guarantee excluded its own brand products and also failed to mention additional exclusions. Nintendo has taken the wraps off a new alarm clock. It's called Alarmo. It's motion activated. It features sounds and music from Nintendo games, and will also play more relaxing sounds to lull you to sleep. It also features sleep tracking technology. It's going to be available next year for about a hundred bucks, but if you're a Nintendo Switch Online member, you can buy it now. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Israel's defense ministers warned a retaliatory attack on Iran will be lethal and surprising. Well, here's a surprise. ABC. Stephen Portnoy is with us. Actually that's not such a surprise. But what is surprising is that former President Trump thinks he can win New York.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's a sort of fortuitous. I happen to be here in New York City for my typical perch in Washington for a conference of the industry, of the broadcast industry. Anyway, Suffice it to say, the surprise is Donald Trump announcing is going to have a rally here in New York City in the days before the election at Madison Square Guard part of a major arena tour that he's going to be conducting in the swing states. And you know, it's not out of the ordinary that he would try to do this in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Nevada. But to add New York to that list is a surprise. Why would he spend October twenty seventh, the days before the election here in New York at Madison Square Garden. I think what he's trying to do is demonstrate that even in this blue Democratic stronghold, Donald Trump has a fan base he can bring out large crowds. I don't know any political analyst who sees New York or New Jersey or Connecticut in play. But nevertheless, Donald Trump will be here in New York, according to his campaign on October twenty seventh. Other cities for this major arena tour at venues that can bring out or hold more than twenty thousand people Philadelphia, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Detroit, and Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: And those all make sense, right because they're all in. Those are all swing steaks.
Speaker 16: Well sure, I mean, look, there's no one who doubts that this is going to be a very close election. It's a turnout race. And so what Trump wants to do is motivate his base, and he wants to demonstrate through these rallies that he can draw large crowds that would outnumber an event held perhaps by the Democrats. Let's see if the Harris campaign responds in equal measure. But for the moment, I think what what Trump is trying to demonstrate is that that he has this ability, and we'll see how it all plays out. One of the things that happened last night reading Pennsylvania, which is a suburb of Philadelphia, the former president said that quote. Somebody was telling me the other day, we do a lot of these beautiful rallies, and it's so great. We never have an empty seat. Never have. Of course, our reporters who were in the rina I was not, but they noticed that there were empty seats, and they were increasingly more empty seats as over the course of ninety minutes, people realized that they wanted to beat the traffic and headed out. But there's no doubt that Donald Trump amasses large crowds everywhere he goes. And he'll say that there's no empty seats. There are empty seats sometimes oftentimes Anyway, it's just one of those things.
Speaker 1: Okay, you knowwhere else he's going California?
Speaker 16: Oh is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's doing a big rally here in Coachella on Saturday.
Speaker 16: Oh, yes, yes, yes, that's again another example of how Trump wants to demonstrate that he can play in places where you otherwise wouldn't expect him to be. Today, he's speaking in Detroit, that he's got an event at the Detroit Economic Club. He's going to be giving a speech at one o'clock Tomorrow. He's going to Aurora, Colorado, and Reno, Nevada. Of course, the situation with migrants in Aurora has been a big part of his rhetoric on the campaign trail, and he's going to go there tomorrow to demonstrate it. And you're right, as I look at the schedule. On Saturday, he is speaking at Henderson, Nevada. Hispanic roundtable in the afternoon in the evening at the Calhoun Ranch and Coachella.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what kind of crowd he draws, because, like you said, I mean, if you look at Madison Square Gardener, the Garden, there's twenty thousand people in New York who support him, but still probably not gonna swing in the state.
Speaker 16: Well, you've given me something to watch on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Absolutely in Picella, for sure.
Speaker 16: You exactly when it comes to when it comes to the situation here in New York City. Look, there are pockets of all suburbs and exurbs, particularly in the Blue States, where Donald Trump can perform. Well, I grew up in this area, and so you know, it was a bit eye popping to see how strongly Trump performed in some of these suburbs. But I don't believe there's anyone who thinks, certainly anyone who follows politics professionally, who thinks that New York and New Jersey are purple states.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And you mentioned that you're there for an industry thing. Are you there for the Marconi's.
Speaker 16: Yes, yes, I was here for the Marconi Awards. I presented last night. The News talk station of the Year, Major market station of the year. Sad to report at this wonderful station is simulating as the talk radio is here. I don't believe it won this year, but it was a wonderful event.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, you know what our very own Steve Gregory and Jacob Gonzalez and Nick Pouliochini did win.
Speaker 16: They're there too, Oh excellent, Well, congratulations for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, or maybe it was the Morrow Awards. Are they happening at the same time?
Speaker 9: Now, look at that.
Speaker 16: They are multiple industry events at targt KIP track. It's like the political calendars. It's got to follow the bouncing ball.
Speaker 1: All right, Steven Portan, I thank you so much for your time, and we will talk to you soon.
Speaker 5: You bet.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Just getting inflation numbers. Inflation has measured two point four percent for the month of September. That's its lowest pace since February of twenty twenty one, the first month that President Biden took office. The Labor Department says this is the final inflation before election day. More than three million homes and businesses in Florida are without power because of Hurricane Milton. It made landfall near Sarasota as a Category three storm last night. National Hurricane Center Deputy Director Jamie Rome says, the power outage numbers are probably going to keep ticking up today.
Speaker 16: That type of wind over a densely populated area, We're going to end up with multiple millions in power outages.
Speaker 7: I think before it's all said and done.
Speaker 1: Milton has caused powerful winds, a storm surge, and flooding over much of Florida. Dozens of tornadoes also hit the state, and at least four people were killed in those tornadoes. A hurricane hunter says, the eye of the storm was very hot.
Speaker 15: There was much smoother, and the clouds kind of looked like a stadium building around us. We were at eight thousand feet looking all the way down to the ocean, and above us were cloud tops exceeding fifty five thousand feet.
Speaker 1: Lieutenant Commander Josh Randenberg is the lead pilot with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's hurricane hunters. The storm knocked out power to millions of homes and businesses. The highest number of outages in Sarasota County and neighboring Manatee County. I don't know. I've seen some video of the storm Hunters, and it doesn't look like it's a very nice flight, quite honestly. Some people in Long Beach have been advised to use boiled or bottled water because of a water main break. It happened yesterday on Orange Avenue near east Wardlow Road. Officials say the utility is doing specialized monitoring of water quality in the affected areas, and we'll let people know when the water is safe to drink again. Economic analysts say people on social Security will likely get a smaller cost of living increase in January. The amount of the increase is set to be announced today. Analysts are forecasting an increase of two and a half percent because of a moderate inflation rate, which we just mentioned. Last year it was an eight point seven percent increase because of record high inflation. And Biden had spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for the first time since August. The leaders got on the phone yesterday with Vice President Harris on the call to talk about Israel's plans to respond to Iran's missile attack last week. Earlier, Nettan Yahoo had called on the people of Lebanon to rise up against Hezbollah to take back their country or face destruction and suffering. As Gaza has a skyscraper in downtown La is closer to being owned by La County.
Speaker 17: The Board of Supervisors approved a letter of intent to purchase the gas company tower on West fifth Street, taking a step closer to moving the county government there. Supervisor Hilda Solise Abstein saying she needs more information.
Speaker 1: I want to understand how the county will transition its core public services and functions if we move forward with this purchase.
Speaker 17: Supervisor Janis Hahn was the only vote against what could be a two hundred million dollar purchase. At public hearing on the matter has been scheduled for November six in downtown La.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI News. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland Weather from KFI. Morning fog and low clouds, same pattern we've been seeing for quite some time now, sunny skies after that, highs in the seventies at the beaches, eighties for Metro LA and in Lan, Orange County eighties to just about ninety for the valleys and Annealo Valley, nineties for the Inland Empire, and then it's going to be sunny after morning clouds Tomorrow. Highs in the seventies to low eighties at the beaches metro areas and high deserts eighties to low nineties for the valleys in Ie and then we'll cool down a couple degrees Saturday, and a couple more degrees on Sunday. It's sixty three in Fullerton's sixty in Sherman Oaks, sixty two in Fountain Valley, sixty one in Whittier. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen any time on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeart Radio app.