Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Mythic Mind, where we pursue wisdom in the past between primary and secondary worlds. I'm your host, Andrew Snyder, and I always welcome you to join me on these trails. I don't have any brand new content for you at this moment, as I've been making myself take some time off to rest and to just be with my family. And I really love doing both of those things, especially being with my family, but it still isn't easy for me to do, just because I'm someone who always feels like I should be researching, that should be producing. I got into certain habits when I was writing my dissertation that I just was never able to shake, which is kind of a blessing anachurse at times. But so it's been good just to chill out a little bit, although I have been doing a little bit of work here and there. I recently signed off on a publication deal for a book on the Lord of the Rings, and I should have that done by mid to late spring, and so I'll have more details on that when we get a little bit closer. Also, I've been getting ready for the upcoming Lord of the Rings study, which begins in just a couple of weeks at this point, and this is going to really be in an riching time. It certainly has been for me already in preparation, and I think it's also just gonna be a lot of fun as we read through the story The Lord of the Rings over twelve weeks and discuss it together. Each week includes two videos, one of which is a shorter wildcard video that gets into some theme or background story or secondary source, or just something that provides an extra layer of understanding, and the second video serves as a companion for that week's reading. We'll also be meeting for weekly zoom conversations, and we have an ongoing discord conversation going on. Many of you are all ready to go with this, but there's still time to enroll if you haven't done so already, and you have two options for doing that. First, you can purchase the course through Padia and you can find a link for that in the show notes, or you can become a patron at tier three or higher through Patreon. Both options give you the same content regarding this course, including discord access. However, the Patreon route also allows you to listen to everything through the patren podcast feed. Whereas Pottia does not have the podcast feed, and also Patronage gives you access to other Mythic Mind content, including the philosophy and fiction of CS. Lewis course and the Beowulf in Boethis course. Once we hit our next goal, personally, I think this is the better option. It's kind of where I see things going long term in the future. But for now at least, that's entirely up to you which option you prefer. But for this latter option, which again I am recommending at this point if you haven't already enrolled otherwise, go to patreon dot com slash Mythic Mind to subscribe at tier three or higher, and there is a discount for an annual subscription with that as well. And if you do go this route, I would tell you to subscribe through the browser on your phone or on your computer. Don't use the Patreon app to subscribe because when you do that, Apple increases the charges that can shape them off the top. So youtub browser, not the Patreon app to subscribe. All right, And for now, as I continue to consolidate our two podcasts into one, I bring you the second Fellowship episode on the and so whether you're listening to this for the first time or to repeat, I hope that you enjoy. Hello and welcome to the Mythic Mind Fellowship podcast, which is a platform for giving a voice to our patrons. My name is Andrew Snyder, and I'm the founder of this fellowship and the hosts of the Mythic Mind Legacy podcast, and I heartily welcome you around our heart. This is the second episode in our patron led series on the Poetic Eda, which is one of our primary sources for information on Norse myths and legends. This is a lot of fun and I would love for you to join us in these chats. If you're interested in doing so, just head over to patreon dot com slash Mythic Mind and sign up with any level of support, And of course you can lend your support even if you don't want to join these conversations but you do want to see us have the ability to do more things like this on a regular basis. And if you're listening to this as a podcast, know that you can also catch the video on my YouTube channel, which you'll find a link to in the show notes. And if you're watching this on YouTube, know that you can also catch it on the podcast. Well, now let's go ahead and jump into the conversation. All right, Well, welcome back to the latest Mythic Mind Fellowship Chat as we continue through the poetic etam. This is our second episode on that, going through the next four sections of the atom, starting with bathrooun Deer's sayings, which is just saying that I'm probably butchering the Norse, but it still sounds really cool, especially if you just say confidently with some guttural intensity behind it. Well, so joined today by Thomas, who was with us last time and he's obviously made a number of appearances by this point. And then Chase, who's been on the other show we were talking about the ransom stuff, but first time on the Fellowship podcast. So Jase, Honey, tell us who you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chase, I'm in Texas and just found out about Andrews classes and I did the Lewis class, and I just finished up the bo Atheist and Beowolf class and just can't get enough of it. So really enjoyed just giving myself a classical education in some.
Speaker 1: Ways fantastic And you know, you definitely have the beard for this conversation. I feel a little envious as we're talking about, you know, vikings and the Norse mythos. Well, just like last time, I'm gonna start off with each of these sections that we're reading. I'm just gonna read at least a portion of the intro that provided in the Larrington translation of the poetic Adam, since I know that the probably a number of people listening who haven't read along, and by the way, I should say that we're all amateurs at this kind of reading along ourselves for the first time, and so you know, we all have some interest in myths and legends and obviously the material that's been inspired by these legends, people like Tolkien, people like Lewis, and so it's a lot of fun to get beneath the surface and read the kinds of things that these people are reading. But I should emphasize that we are all just amateurs in these waters. But it's I think that's kind of fun as well. But yeah, I'm just gonna read a portion of the interest so that way we all have an idea as to what it is that we're talking about, and those kind of jumping around to whatever we feel like discussing. As the Seers prophecy saying that the High One and Greenmeier Sayings show Odin is characterized by his obsessive quest for wisdom, particularly for information about Ragnarok. In this poem, he sets off, against his wife's advice, disguise as a poor wanderer to test his wisdom against the giant bathroom deer known only from this poem, Odin has proved his metal by answering questions with the giant puts to him. He is invited to risk his head in questioning the giant. Buffery or sayings or Bathrudsmal belongs to the Giant Era of Wisdom contest known in many other cultures, and so this really comes down to a riddle contest. It's a contest of lore, which I mean, these contests should sound very familiar to us from you know, some of the literature that's been inspired from these stories, you know, I think of obviously Tolkien got your Riddles in the Dark with the.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was what I first thought of when when the little pro section before was explaining that, I'm like, it's Riddles of the Dark exactly.
Speaker 1: And then even I mean, you know it's spoiler. I guess you know at the end, you know, when Odin asked a question that only he could know. I mean, that's that's Bilbo, right, Uh, what's my pocket? It's like no one else can know that, And so I have to believe that Tolkien's pulling something from that. And then also I think of in that hideous strength when Merlin and Ransom starts ring with lore, you know, going back and forth about you know, just different aspects of the cosmos and you know, the mythos, and I've definitely see that pulled from this this genre as well. But yeah, so I mean, what'd you get? What'd you think of this? I mean, what are some things that stood out to you or you know, your first impressions.
Speaker 3: I felt like a lot of the questions, though, didn't seem like riddles to me. They just seemed more like trivia questions like can you answer this fact about the cosmos or about history or about the future. I'm like, is that really a riddle?
Speaker 1: It more like a question. Yeah. It definitely did seem more like a Jeopardy Mythology edition. Uh. Yeah, And so I agree that that's why I I feel like it has more resonance, you know, with specifically in that hideous strength that Ranks and Merlin lore battle when they are just you know, spotting off different aspects of lore. But I do think that ending is very riddles in the dark to me. I don't know, what do you think going into the chase?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean interesting kind of have like the threat of like you know, if you're not wise, like you're not leaving the hall, and just kind of like battling a little bit with I couldn't tell if he was like offering hospitality a bit of like kind with me, and then he's like, I'm not going to be tricked by something like that. I'm gonna stay where I'm at right now. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the hospitality definitely seems to be an invitation to a challenge, not genuine hospitality per se. Right, And I do find it interesting that Bothrond you that the Giant is he tends to be mostly focused on asking questions about just you know, general about the world as it is, whereas Odin has a much more chronological interest and that he has questions like from Origins going all the way up to Ragnarok. And this I think is to a theme that we see with Odin again and again. He's trying to get some understanding regarding the fate of the gods. He wants to know what's going to happen to him. I guess, out of some hope to evade fate maybe or at the very least to know what awaits him. And so he definitely has an interest regarding the timeline, I think more so than we get with the Giant, which I think is kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was interesting how kind of like visualizing the scene and how Odin had shown himself as basically a man, so I'm assuming he's small compared to this giant. Then he's also giants up sitting and he's talking about like you're from the floor, So I can just imagine like how imposing that would be, you know, like talking back and forth right you're he's seeing Odin so small that he's like, you're there from the hall floor, not front up by me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's part of Odin's tendency to mask his identity, and the fact that he is masking his identity or he's using a pseudonym here, it's not The Giant doesn't figure this out until the very end, and Odin does this all the time. Whenever Odin makes an appearance, he's almost always using a false name. He's in disguise, he's veiled in some way, shape or form, And I can only assume that's because you know, Odin's associated with wisdom, and so you know, speaks to the fact that wisdom requires the right kind of eyes to see. That you have to be wise in order to see wisdom, right, that the beginning of wisdom is this, get wisdom. The Proverbs tell us it's like it's kind of paradoxical, but it's like you need wisdom to reveal wisdom. And even Odin himself, you know, he has one eye because he had a sacrifice part of his vision in order to get wisdom. And so it's like you have to learn to see with the right eyes. And so, you know, wisdom is veiled and it's dealing with mortals, and we need the right kind of wisdom to uncover it.
Speaker 3: I've noticed that Merlin in the Arthur material does this a lot too, where he'll veil himself in some other form.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, you know, I'm mostly familiar with Mallory for the Arthur Mythos does it for like no reason a lot of times, and I can tell, yeah, that's very chastly, veiling himself and appearing in different guises for again no clear reasons sometimes, which you know, it kind of makes sense that Gandolf is kind of inspired by Odin as well as surely you know Merlin is wrapped up in that and so interesting that there are these crossover tendencies between Merlin and Odin. And I can only wonder if maybe, you know, the early stories of Merlin have some connection to the earliest of Odin.
Speaker 2: Odin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know that that Gandolf also includes like I read somewhere that he includes a little bit of Odin as well, especially as like just this wanderer, like a higher being disguised as an old beggar, just wandering around and seeking wisdom.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, if you I mean, if you look at some of the depictions of Odin, I mean very much get the Great Pilgrim imagery.
Speaker 2: I had wondered too. I don't know enough like historically, so I know, like Romans had made it to Britain much earlier than this and had at least brought some Christianity. I don't know how much like had stayed there throughout once they had left, or if they had kind of like completely gone back to take it roots. For the most part, just trying to see like okay, you know, like this was like composed like around a thousand, right AD, or was this earlier or they just don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't I'm not really sure. I know the pros ata is like somewhere around a thousand or so with uh, you know Snorri Storlsen, which you know that comes a little bit later than the poetic at a I'm actually can't recall offhand when when this was put together, but I assume more or less the same time.
Speaker 3: And I know that that the British Isles essentially had to be almost re evangelized at one point, where you know, Augustine of Canterbury is literally sent by the pope to say, okay, like you know, the Roman authority has collapsed, people are lapsing back into pagan beliefs. There's the Viking invasions of the British Isles, Like okay, go take some monks, go to Britain and re evangelize the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I wondered just just from like saying of like the sayings of what was it, the sayings of the High One? I was right before it, and then even like them this like how much of it was Like Okay, maybe there were some proverbs left over or something like they had heard a little bit of that and that knowledge kind of kept in morphed. You know, I don't know, but I do think it is funny that, you know, Odin says like it's good to be averagely wise, but then he's on this quest untill they prove that he's the most wise, and you're like, you're not taking your own advice advice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is interesting, just kind of wondering exactly what Odin is doing here. Is he simply trying to best the giant or is he trying to get some wisdom from the giant that you know he doesn't know. And I mean, I guess it kind of seems like he's trying to get some more knowledge of ragnarotcause my understanding of it, which.
Speaker 2: I think that's what they were saying too, where like he kind of shuts it down pretty quickly after finding out.
Speaker 1: Here, right, he got what he what he wanted to know, And you know, I I'm always kind of I'm kind of spitballing it here when I talk about like what different things mean, because you know, I'm not an expert on the Northern mythology or philosophy, but I know that, you know, the giants are more primordial than even the gods, and so you know, it kind of seems like giants almost have a sense of timelessness about them. And that is the gods, who you know, use this kind of primordial giant was e Mer, right, which they use em to construct the world, and then they created man within the you know, the cosmos created by the body of this giant. It's just like that the gods themselves are more essentially related to time, the movement of events, the creation of the material world, and so I assume that has something to feed into od obsession with sort of the end of things, the end of his life, the end of the reign of these gods. That there's almost a more intrinsically temporal element to the gods and the giants.
Speaker 3: I was struck by the creation of the world from Emir's body because that confused me because I'm like, wait a minute, I thought the world is the world tree in Norse mythology. So I'm wondering, like how these how they reconciled those, like if they were originally two kind of threads of cosmology that somehow got reconciled, or maybe like Emir's body is only mid Guard and that doesn't have to do with the rest of the realms on the world tree like it. I'm not sure their cosmology is entirely coherent, but.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair, especially when we're dealing with the poetic ida, which is you know, earlier it's more discordant. I mean, not all the misagree with each other. We're dealing with a number of different traditions sort of thrown together. It's not like they have a universal canon to work with. Yeah, so I don't know. Maybe it's like maybe it's it's just mid Guard and that might be, although I'm pretty sure at some point maybe it was one of the other the other readings from this this round that they talk about like Asgard being created as well, you know, from the Mirror, and so you know, maybe it's just like you've got the tree, which is like the foundation, and then the rest is sort of built on top of it. Perhaps I don't know, or maybe it's just incoherent. I don't know, but it is interesting that, you know, a lot of these pagan myths regarding the creation account deal with something like this, where you know, the world is made from a dead God or some primordial being. You see this in that like the Babylonian tale, the the New my Leish, right, yeah, yeah, right, everything's made out of Tiamat's body, this chaos goddess, which just all kinds of interesting conversations that can be had there regarding like you know, connection to biblical account and that sort of thing, you know, what's different, but also some of the themes that overlap. But this is a very common theme. You see it throughout different cultures, the idea that the world is made out of some kind of slaughter, some kind of brutal contest, which leads to the brutality very often see in the pagan world, right, the world itself is made out of brutal conflict, and that definitely feeds into the culture, especially the people like the Norse. You know, we talked about in the Havamal that there's that proverb that's just like, you know, if you need to get up early, if you want to go kill someone to take their stuff. It's just part of the process of a daily routine.
Speaker 3: It's very different not only from the Biblical account, but from Tolkien's Creation myth, where you know, the universe is brought into being through song, you know, and and Lewis as well with the creation of Narnia, you know. So it's even though they they they both you know, loved and respected these these myths, they truly they clearly jettisoned stuff that did not you know, harmonize well with their Christian worldview, right.
Speaker 1: They you know, I think we said last time, they gave us the Northern Story as it should have been, right, Yeah, exactly, like you can get off his Sorrowmond as he should have been.
Speaker 2: It even seemed like in the introduction, like Caroline kind of like Chasta's snory a little bit, because, like I guess, story was a Christian guy who was slowly trying to reconcile a little bit, you know, kind of like Beola or something else was. And so she was like, well, I you know, he was trying to like reconcile this stuff and write it coherently, and he seemed like he let too much of his Christianity weave itself in and you're like, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean it is interesting that when you read the prose that, you know, read the introduction that Snory gives us, and he says, like the gods came from Troy, like he makes it. He demathologizes some of it as a way of making it a little bit more palatable. He turns the gods into this race that came from I mean, the human civilization essentially, rather than these are the gods of Asgard who you know, who made everything?
Speaker 3: Oh, Geoffrey of Monmouth does that too, with some of the Arthur stuff he made. He essentially makes everybody he likes in history like secretly British somehow. It's like Constantine is British, the Trojans are British, Like everybody he likes just ends up as.
Speaker 2: A British person.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Hm, when you do our American telling of the mythos, Oh no, let's let's not do that. Any any other thoughts about this reading. I mean, obviously there's all kinds of lower stuff, but I'm not qualified to get into some of the weeds on that.
Speaker 3: I noticed, like a name drop that I recognized from Tolkien. Actually, I noticed several horse names that were that are that Tolkien either tweaked a little bit or just put wholesale into Lord of the Rings. In this involve Vathrunder saying there was a horse called frost Maine, and I immediately thought of Snowmane Thedan's horse, and then later I forget which one it is, but there's a horse called Lightfoot, which was Snowmane's sire, like the horse has sired him. So I'm like, okay, he's even taking I know that he took all the dwarf names from this, but he's also taking a lot of the names of horses and stuff, which makes sense that the royal here are very Norse inspired culture, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he definitely does lift a number of names, and sometimes he makes little tweaks, but yeah, you know, it's not as startling as the dwarf names that you lifted, but but yeah, so yeah, definitely that and there's something else he was one of the other ones that will come to me where he does that.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought that's interesting. You know that they talk about how giants basically came from poison drops, uh, and so that's why they're terrifying it. That's why evil. But then from a giant, even though it's like from straight poison comes to gods, I guess that grow underneath the frost giants arms, right, and so it's like good ends up coming true, I guess good in terms of not as bad kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's there's not a clear good and evil in those dark like moral ontological terms. Now, the gods are definitely good relative to the monsters, but it's more of like they're fighting for the right side, but there's not a super clear, like eternal standard of goodness.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like they're less bad. It's like you want to be on the gods side because, like you know, they're not going to destroy the universe.
Speaker 1: So it's a good enough reason, right, I mean yeah, I mean they're they're the valiant ones, are the ones trying to bring about something like order, and so it's not so much that they are ontologically good, but they're good in the sense that they're fighting in the right direction. Then I mean, what what can you hope for?
Speaker 2: I guess in the setting, I like to what Carolan, it's too about how in her introduction about the giants like like like you're saying, memorial, they have a past, they were ancient, they know a lot of things, but their future is like in terms of attorney or whatever, it is short lived. And then while men and the gods are you know, started later they have the futures, it's kind of like not told completely what's going to happen with them, like long.
Speaker 1: Term right into the I mean, obviously most humans are going to die and most gods are going to die, but it seems like all the giants are going to die. But there is there is a remnant that's going to live past Ragnarok of both gods and men. Right, You've got the Leaf and Leaf throughout there, who are going to be like the new Adam and Eve following Ragnarok to re establish humanity. And you know, before I started reading that is I didn't even really recognize that there was a future past Ragnarok. You know, I always had the sense that that was like the apocalypse, which I mean it is of sort, but it's also the time of cosmic renewal, maybe even you know, moving into the kind of order that's not possible on this epic of history.
Speaker 3: I was also I'm also struck by what a clean slate Tolkien kind of had for his elves, because elves get mentioned a few times, but they're never described in any kind of detail at all. They usually get name dropped between gods and men and it'll say, you know, gods, elves and men, but they're that that we're never told anything about them. So like Tolkien just had like free reign to you know, create his own version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are whatever they are in these stories. It's very ambiguous, so we're not really giving physical descriptions. We're not giving any details regarding what they are. I mean even the context in which they appear. Like it's just not really clear what it is that we're talking about. It's sort of just this class of like other things, maybe even something like fairies of sorts, which I mean there is overlapping idea between you know, the fairies and the.
Speaker 3: Elves, right, Yeah, And like in the Arthur stuff, elves and fairies are just whatever the particular writer of that story needs them to be for for that story.
Speaker 1: Right, And I was it's interesting though. I was recently reading Peter Craff's The Philosophy of Tolkien, which goes to my background it's which it's it's a wonderful read. I mean, I tweeted a lot of it, so you may have seen some of that. But you know, he makes the point that, you know, Tolkien's elves are like the platonic ideal of elves, where we read them and we just kind of know, yeah, this is what elves are.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very strange, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, But yeah, and so he definitely had free reign with that.
Speaker 3: I've struggled with that as as a writer myself. When you try to do elves that aren't like his, like Tolkien's, you get this. At least for me, I get this cognitive dissonance where I'm like, no, that's not right, that's not what they should be like because they're not like the ethereal kind of platonic Tolkienian idea of elves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like, if I ever get in the business running fantasy, I'm just going to not talk about elves. I don't know how to get around that to create something that's believable but not derivative.
Speaker 3: I can't get around it because I ended up making them integral to the plot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but yeah, it's tricky.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just interesting how much of you know, the Norse material was a fountain head for Tolkien and Lewis and their contemporaries, but then Tolkien and Lewis have become this fountain head for everything after you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh yeah, no, absolutely. I mean it's it's crazy that, you know, they're still relatively modern authors, and then just the influence that they've had to the point of I mean they've set the stage. I mean, especially of Gardillick fantasy. I mean, you can't do that without having talking somewhere in your mind. And he basically created the modern genre of the fantasy novel.
Speaker 3: Right, And I think because it's modern, that's why it was in the age of communication, you know, you know, radio had been a thing for decades by the time Lord of the Rings was that. You know, once you have mass communication and the mass distribution of literature, you know, it's it's going to become like the the a meme. Essentially, it's going to sweep across across cultures and across continents and just become you know, stuck in our imagination.
Speaker 2: We also, I mean, it's interesting. I was reading the introduction to this and it was talking about how you know, all the Norse thought like thought and stories and poems and stuff. I guess in Germany kind of like mainly in Europe were out of fashion. Let's talk about post World War two because of like the ties to you know, Germany and Nazism and stuff. But then immediately after Tolkien to Lewis kind of rectify them and shape them so that then they're i mean the look of what they've done for even American like telling of different Norse stuff, whether it's like Thor and Marvel or something or any of like the later books. Like you're saying it really kind of like Nope, you're not actually going to take that fully from it just because you associated with it, right, We're going to take it back, which is cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there, I haven't read I've heard tell of some kind of of some book that focuses specifically on talkien wrestling with the the myth as it's been adopted from, you know, with the Nazis. And I mean obviously he had wrote some letters about that about you know that ruddy ignoramus Adolf Hitler, and you know he said that at his age as like a you know, older middle aged guy. He says he'd be a better fighter than when he was in his prime, because he just really has such hostility towards what Hitler was doing. And you know, Louis said the same thing that, you know, he was furious with what the Nazis were doing to his beloved Northern Mythos until he recognized they were getting it all wrong, and then they kind of gave it back to them, because and the whole Northern Mythos is the idea that the heroes fighting alongside the gods, had their back against the wall, and that you know, at least up through Ragnarok, like the monsters are gonna end up winning, you know, in this grand sense. And so the heroes of the Northern Mythos are not the ones going out conquering everything. They're the ones with their back against the wall, fighting for as long as they possibly can. And so at the same time that the Nazis are trying to appropriate the Northern Mythos to portray themselves as these Northern heroes, they're actually playing the role with the monsters.
Speaker 3: The monsters. Yeah, I think it became more entrenched in Nazi ideology towards the end, Like I mean, where they started calling you know, like the complete collapse of Germany and it being overrun from all sides. They would use they would use phrases like God or Damar, the Twilight of the Gods, Ragnarok, and so I think it became yeah, so sort of like they identified it with it a lot towards the end, but it was, you know, they were trying to in some in some cases just replace Christianity with either like neo pagan ideas, especially Heinrich Kimmler and the SS. Like there's this great book called The Master Plan and I'm forgetting the author right now, but it's it. It chronicles the SS's kind of like appropriation of not just Norse mythology, but archaeology and history in general, trying to rewrite the whole thing along you know, Nazi lines. And they're crazy, sort of bizarre like creation of liturgies and rituals to rip to de christianize Germany and replace it with this new hodgepodge of Norse, old Germanic stuff and just stuff that they invented, and it's it's deeply unsettling. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, the Nazis were interested in all kinds of cultic things and trying to reclaim religious artifacts and yeah, like that's a real thing.
Speaker 3: People think that's just Indiana Jones, but no, that's actual, you know, loosely, incredibly loosely, but based on real history.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean, you know there are stories about you know, Hitler trying to find the you know, lanstep Pierce Christ or you know, contact aliens, like all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Himmler, Himmler thought, well, yeah, in the master Plan they talk about how Himmler wanted to find Thor's hammer. He thought Thor's hammer was an actual was an actual device that ancient people had used, some sort of electric weapon or something, and he's like, we'll win the war and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So which it's it's unsettling, insane, but I mean it's interesting.
Speaker 3: And it's made for good stories ever since. If one good thing came out of it.
Speaker 2: You know, you're telling me, Jane Thor was really just a descendant of Ler. Look, you know, found the hammer that was finally there.
Speaker 1: But oh man, yeah, it's a good thing they lost for many reasons.
Speaker 3: Anything dealing with that today, right, just I was just going to say, like, you know that that danger of the appropriation of culture to be used for like state propaganda is the Nazis didn't invent it, and it certainly didn't die with.
Speaker 1: Them, oh for sure. And I mean it's probably it's me particularly a problem that can be presented within democracy where you know, so much of politics religous comes down to marketing, right that you know, especially in you know, a day and age where most of the electorate doesn't really know what's going on, right, and so you know, you watch the presidential debates over the last several years, and they're not really asking questions like, you know, what is the good of man? It was the role of the government in facilitating, you know, our actualization of the human potential. No, it's all just like kind of clickbaity type stuff like you know, how can I get my my little clip in there to you know, throw onto TikTok or Twitter or whatever. It's it's nothing dealing with substance. It all comes down to just marketing, right, And that's where you know, it can become very easy to appropriate these various marketing elements that are going to give rise to certain sentiments. And so it's very easy whether we're talking about you know, the autocratic style or even just the marketing style of democracy. It's very easy to appropriate culture, to move it in that sort of direction.
Speaker 2: I mean, uneducated democracy too, right, you know, like marketing it. If you don't, like Thomas was saying, if you're not understanding and knowing some of the background, you can't even tell that they miss misaligned it, or like reconfigured whatever it was. You know, whatever the message was, whatever the myth was, for their own purposes. If you don't know the myth, you're just like, okay, well let me throw it out, right, So because it's even related.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, you know, it's even saying aside the political angle, and not to mention some of the propaganda marvels pushing through these days.
Speaker 3: That's something even our modern myths become essentially, you know, consumed by the marketing aspect. You know that that's something that the writers of this material did not have to deal with, you know the fact that you know, they're writing myths, but they didn't have to sell them to anybody.
Speaker 1: So right, and there's this idea that the myth is valuable for its own sake, right, I mean, and that's why you know this book is recorded, it's why you know, Snory put together the prosett It's this idea that there are things that are worth preserving. It's not so much what can I do to launch things forward with this, but it's more of how do we conserve the wisdom that we already have? And this is a very different mindset versus how can I market this? How can I publish this? What media can I spin out of this?
Speaker 3: How can I sell figures?
Speaker 1: Exactly? And that gets to the difference between and this is even like explicitly you know, political, but just general philosophical, the difference between conservatism and progressivism that one is set on preserving the wisdom that we have, the other is set on what can I do with this? Well, anything else anyone wants to mention about buffwunder sayings. If not that, we can jump to the next one. The Mythic Mind Fellowship presents a new study led by doctor Andrew Snyder, the Wisdom of Middle Earth the Lord of the Rings. This will be the first study in the Wisdom of Middle Earth series, which seeks to bring an array of companions together with a common desire of growing in wisdom while enjoying the heartening tales the Great tale weaver J R. R. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings is a profound tale that has literally changed lines, as it has for mine. And what is it that makes this story so powerful and so compelling. It is because Tolkien's stories are fundamentally true, and those who engage with it know exactly what I mean. They speak to the way that things are. As Peter Christ said in the Philosophy of Tolkien, the Lord of the Rings is infused with this same light that illumined the man who wrote it. And that light is true, for it reveals the reality of the world and life. So join us on this adventure. Let us grow and wisdom together through immersion in this tale, not through cheap allegorizing, but by getting a better understanding of the ideas and the movements of the heart that bring a tale such as this to life. This twelve week study will begin with Tolkien's creation account, the Iuindulay, and then move to the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring. Each week will include a signed reading from The Lord of the Rings, a short side lesson in the beginning of the week that addresses a relevant theme, background story, or secondary text, and then once you've had some time to do the reading. There will be a longer video that serves as a guide in these forests of wisdom. Also, we will have additional recommended readings, an active discord channel, and weekly live meetings which will be recorded in case you cannot attend. Whether you are reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time or the eleveny first time, I invite you to join our company. Prices are currently as low as they ever have been, and they are as low as they ever will be, So go ahead and join today at Andrew Schnyder dot Padia dot com, and I hope to see you on this road that goes ever on. Well, then jumping over to Grimner Sayings or or Grimney's Malle, I'm gonna read just a little bit of the first portion of the introduction here. The pro's introduction to Grimmy's Mall gives an unexpected account of Odin and Frigo as right patrons to two kingly candidates, the lost son of King rodund Oh buried thereund Odin uses cunning to give his foster son an unfair advantage, and then precipitates a matrimonial quarrel by pointing out the different fates which have overtaken their proteges. Friga is swift to get her own back, accusing Odin's favorite of stinginess, a serious charge giving the near sacred character which Germanic societies ascribed to hospitality. Friga duplicitly ensures that Gerud does mistreat his guest, relying on Odin's practice disguising himself when visiting strange halls, Odin arrives at Garrett's hall, calling himself Grimner, the masked one. Gerold's methods of torture, starvation, and heat have been thought to recall shamanistic rituals allowing access to arcane knowledge kept hidden from the uninitiated. Such practice could have been known to the Scandinavians from their northern neighbors. The lapse again, then it goes on, and then at the end Odin reveals himself, and so yeah, sou, they're these two lost sons of this king and too, Odin and Frigam. They both adopt one to you know, raise them up to take over the throne with the death of their father. But things don't go pretty well for Odin, and.
Speaker 3: They have two different fates. Like you said, I just thought this something just popped into my mind. That reminds me of the twins from the Horse and his Boy, Right, one becomes a prince and the other is like a slave. So that's a common trope, right where brothers or or twins have these extremely divergent outcomes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a good indication of how you know, your own life very well could have gone in a different direction, but that we all are subject to fate, which obviously fate plays a very significant role in these Northern stories. And so it's this idea that okay, they're they're different past, we could find ourselves put on what are what are some things some thoughts that you had?
Speaker 3: Again, I like that he's called the masked one, like we were saying before about you know, like Merlin and Gandalf and just this this idea of illusion, you know, the wizard being a and you know even even the term wizard wise one, you know, being a creature of illusion. And they say he has a blue cloak, which immediately reminded me, you know of one of Tolkien, you know, the blue wizards.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and we get that same idea that we were talking about about how Oudin is always he's almost always vailed. So later on in this story, you know, he recounts all these different names that he's had. It's like a million different pseudonyms that he's adopted here and there, again showing the fact that he's almost always veiled in his dealings with mortals.
Speaker 3: Gandalf does that once where he tells Parimir all the very sarious names that he's had in different lands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like Odin and Freig have got to a lull in the relationship where they just need to kind of you know, pick some people, just just make some make a fight happen, you know, right, it works.
Speaker 3: Oh, at one point I wrote this down, Odin calls himself Wanderer, so like Mithrandi or the gray Pilgrim, the gray Wanderer. So more more Gandalf associates.
Speaker 1: It's all in Tolkien, bless me. Yeah, you know, I kind of thought, especially by the time we get to the end of this story. You know, I thought of Hebrews about you know, entertaining strangers, because you know you might be entertaining angels unaware, you know, especially the role of hospitality plays as the king's son, you know, also Damed Gerodin. Right, Yeah, he's the one who shows hospitality to Odin, not recognizing who he is, and he gets rewarded for that and into you know, I think that's a potential connection there.
Speaker 3: And then what is it? The king gets impaled on his own sword, which wasn't because at first I was like, oh, like Turin, except Turin was suicide and this it was just a silly accent, almost a slapstick kind of accident.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, I assume that that's a you know, the fate that wrought somebody who was consumed with pride that you know, he would stumble and fall very unheroically onto his own sword, you know, in this kind of slapstick way. And I think he's showing me that he was kind of a buffoon because he was so consumed by pride, like you know, this is how he treats his gut.
Speaker 3: Trying to roast them alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's right. It reminds me of that that Testerton quote about how you know, thinking in isolation and in pride makes you into an idiot. I think they see something like that playing out here.
Speaker 2: Who are the powers? Again? I was trying to what's the context, Like, uh, is this line six where since there is a third home where the cheerful powers roots the rooms with silver, is the powers just like pre god god's kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Or I think the powers are essentially just the gods. And you know in the Civil Rellion in particular, you know sometimes talking to refer to the powers, by which he means the valaar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, gotcha, Okay, and that makes sense because line force until the powers for the center.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: I noticed a couple of name drops too that aren't actually not related to Tolkien, but are related to Star Wars.
Speaker 2: They mention.
Speaker 3: They mentioned Skull and Hati, who are the two wolves who devour the Sun and Moon or constantly chase them around. And in some of the more contemporary Star Wars there's two characters who are named after those figures. There are a couple of well they don't think of themselves as Jedi, but they're kind of like rogue Jedi, called Baleen Skull and Shin Hati, and they basically confirmed that. Yeah, their names Skull and Hati are taken from the North Smith of these wolves that chase the Sun and Moon. So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm curious. I'm not up to date on like the new Star Wars media, but I mean, is there any connection between their characters and their mythological kind of parts the naming.
Speaker 3: Well, we haven't seen the end of their character yet, so I'm not I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't.
Speaker 3: There was nothing that jumped out at me immediately, but I I know that the kind of Lucasfilm's kind of creative head honcho deve Filoni, is a big fan of the Norse stuff, so I'm just not surprised that he would he would litter some of the new material with Norse references.
Speaker 1: It's kind of interesting, just says he goes through the different realms of Asgar, the different homes of the gods, you get some insights into kind of did the different i mean different aesthetic associated with some of the different gods.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I look to you know, Bullberge, because he's one of the gods I'm more familiar with because he played such an important role in the story, as well as I think his potential connection to Christ regarding the fact that you know, he's the god who dies and he resurrects and in his resurrection. He kind of brings us into the new world order post Ragnarok, and so I think there is some christological topology there in My Reckoning, you know, as Lewis says that the pagan myths are, you know, you've got celestial strength falling on a jungle of filth and imbecility. That there is glory and truth to be found here that needs to be extracted. But you know, we're told that, you know, Boulder, he dwells in a his hall has the fewest ruins of ill omen to show that, you know, he's associated with sort of peace and tranquility and prosperity and goodness. But it kind of makes sense that in the brutal scene that we get in the Northern story, that you know, he's one of the gods that dies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's more about Emir again in the Creation of the World. So the dwelling place of men mid guard Is is made from the eyelashes of Emir. That's that's rather humorous. His brains are the clouds. Oh okay, great.
Speaker 2: You wonder like why was it taken like eyelashes any significance there, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which this reminds me of another fantasy author who was heavily inspired by this material was a gene Wolf, because I'm currently reading his Wizard Night duology, and in that there's like there's the many worlds, but I don't think there's nine. I think there's seven in that, and the the sort of world above, the one where humans live, is populated by this race of gods that are very much like the the the Acier. I even think the the main one is even called all Father, like Odin All Father. And and there's that that thing about the clouds reminded me of like because there's a lot of cloud imagery and his ideas about how like that that literally that the realm of his sort of Acier gods is called sky, but it's not spelled it's spelled different, it's spelled s K A I. And like you can see like the clouds are how like the gods communicate messages down to humanity.
Speaker 1: They send thoughts through the brain. Yeah, yeah, yeah, interesting. And then we see a little bit more about Egersel as well. We're told that it's like filled with different creatures, especially different serpents in that need hog. You know that essentially hell is you know, chewing on its roots, and we're told that its side is decaying, and so it's like the world itself is groaning for renewal. Right, it's you know, it's kind of falling apart that the very structure of the cosmos is in a state of suffering and decay.
Speaker 3: Just the name of that creature and its whole like that whole aspect of like of what what its function is just screamed Lovecraft to me for some reason.
Speaker 2: I said, I just remember it from age mythology, where I just usually against my enies and it was the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the important foundations for understanding the angel mythos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like seeing the like inescapable fate, Like, I know, I saw that a lot in the Bulls can say it was basically like you know, Brin Hill like basically says what's going to happen, you know, but the story still has to play out to get to that, and they can't really go around it. Like here at the end where he's you know, Oden says, I know your life is over and the guy just not realizing, like doesn't know the sword's gonna land hilt down at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and that's something that we do see very often in these myths, thissence on fate, the fact that we're told ahead of time what's going to happen. You know, it's like when're reading Beowulf, when basically as soon as he encounters the dragon, we're told the dragon is going to kill him, and it gets a point where even he knows he's about to die before even engaging with the dragon. And so you know, the story is not about what's going to happen. Really, the story is about how do you relate to fate? And so it's a different kind of hero's journey than you know, go forth and save the world. No, it's more of engage with honor as you engage with the fate that is going to take place.
Speaker 3: Right, It's less of like what you said, Andrew, that progressive kind of how can I change the world, And it's more, you know, how can I accept the faith that I've been given essentially and with honor and integrity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wouldn't be a bad thing to, you know, read something like Marcus Relis his meditation, So alongside the poetic, geta or some of this Norse literature, because there definitely is a stoic tone to the kind of heroism that's prescribed to us. Well, is there anything else that anyone wants to mention about, Grimner sayings, we spent a while on the first one, so I'm okay if you want to move on, if there's nothing else, all right, all right? Moving over to Skrenier's journey, Freyer falls in love with a giant's daughter, whom he sees from Odin's high seat healed scale. According to Snorri, his love sickness is a punishment for usurping Odin's place. The poem does not suggest this. Prayer's concerned parents, Njord and Scotti asked their son's old friend and servant, skear Neer him to help. Skearner volunteers to go on a wooing mission, and, after remarkably smooth journey, effectively bully's the reluctant girl into agreeing to a rendezvous with Freyer. Well it's out there. Yeah, it's not exactly a romance, per se. I don't know what do you guys think about this one?
Speaker 3: I like that they said that it could have been originally composed to be played out like a like a dramatic presentation. I definitely got that vibe from it.
Speaker 1: It is interesting, And so she brings up that in Snory's telling of this, we give this idea that Prayer is setting herself up for a kind of punishment because of his pride in taking up the spot of odin essentially trying to usurper role that doesn't belong to him naturally. And you know, she says that in the original ho and we don't really see that kind of judgment at play here. But one thing that it is interesting is that Skinner asked for Freyar's sword, which means that frey is going to lose his weapon, so he's not going to have a sword when it comes time for Ragnarok, and so he is surrendering something of value here. We kind of get the sense, I think that he is being short sighted in some way, shape or form in you know, what he's doing here. And there were some of the proverbs in the half of them all that warn against, you know, the foolishness that can come through your desire for women.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, we see that sort of brought to life in this little story.
Speaker 1: Right, and then of course we also see the idea of the curse that words can be binding, you know, as Gird this giantess, you know, initially refuses despite the fact that you know, Scannery has promised her all these things, including Odin's ring which he got from the dwarves, her his ring that produces more gold rings. And so he basically promises or offers her this great wealth, which I mean, I don't really know if this was Scariner's even offer. He's offering Odin's ring, which again, is that da that maybe he's trying to usurp some authority doesn't belong to him, But nonetheless, you know, that doesn't work, and so then he just starts threatening her and he goes through this you know, this barrage of curses that are going to befall her if she doesn't come with him. And since this idea that there's power simply in these verbal declarations, which I mean you see the importance of you know, oaths and curses in Tolkien as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely, like with with the Oath Breakers or fane Or's Dreadful Oath, you know, and where they're just compelled to see it through to the end no matter what, right, Yeah, it just becomes like a litany of like threats and insults, like it just evolves towards the end, and and then you know, her and Frere get together. I'm like, okay, right, she.
Speaker 1: Kind of reluctantly agrees because well, I mean that sounds better than all these courses, so all right, fair enough?
Speaker 3: And then like, oh, the the symbolism of nine keeps cropping up in these and what is it like Frere has to wait nine days before you can have a tryst with her or something like that?
Speaker 2: Right? I had a contractor that I worked with one time. It was the first time we had ever worked, and he wanted to tell me about the magic number. Time. I went into like an hour long videos about it. So maybe there's something there.
Speaker 1: With yeah, maybe, But yeah, I don't really have a whole lot to say about this one. It wasn't really a very fun to read for me. No, Yeah, so I's nothing else. I'm fine just jumping to the next one.
Speaker 3: The next one was funnier. It was funny the set up and just like one since the reader is in the know, Well, I'll.
Speaker 2: Let you explain it.
Speaker 3: What's going on here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't even read it. But basically thor comes upon Odin in disguise, and Odin is disguised as a ferry man and into uh, Thor wants Odin to, you know, give him passage across this body of water, but instead they end up just getting into an insult match, which is just so brutal and sometimes vulgar and profane. It's like a couple just like just like frat guys just going at each other. Is Yeah, that was great. I mean, so, you know, it starts off with Thor, for no good reason, just insulting this ferryman, you know, by saying, who's that lot of lads who stands on the side of the inlet? And we get this idea and I think that's even a note in this translation here somewhere that says that basically Thor was making fun of the fact that this guy looked old, and so he's calling him a child, being sarcastic with him, and so that's what kicks us off. I love that one of the first things that this is this guy's Odin says, responses, you look like someone who's others.
Speaker 3: What does that even be?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 3: There's some other funny stuff here was uh, yeah, he says, like the Thora's no guts. He says, at one point, just like it becomes like schoolyard insults, like Thora calls harbard is Odin's disguise. He calls him a pervert several times for seemingly no reason.
Speaker 1: Well, because because it starts off with you know, early on, Odin says that, you know, looks like your mom is dead. And then later on and he says, like you should probably go home because someone's sleeping with your wife. Oh yeah, that's one of the times where he calls him a pervert. He says, yeah, someone was see fright, now you better go home.
Speaker 3: I thought this was interesting because at one point Odin says, Odin owns the nobles who fall in battle, and Thor owns the race of Thralls. And in the explanatory no, at the beginning, they say, maybe that's the author like making commentary on the cults of the two gods, where you know, Thor was more of the the the everyman's god basically of like farmers and herdsman and ordinary people, whereas Odin was for like the nightly class and the noble warriors and stuff like that, and nobility.
Speaker 1: Right, and so it's a way of putting Thor in his place as being under him. It's interesting that, you know, they go back and forth bragging about the different conquest of source that they've all engaged with, which very much makes you think of and and in the intro it brings it up. Even the exchange in Bewolf between Bewolf and Unforth where Beowolf shows up at Hero and you know, Unforth says, well, aren't you the bewolf who lost that swimming competition? Yeah? And then Bewolf says, you know, that's the meat talking, and you know, he goes off on all these you know, the explanation of what happened, how he was did kind of lose the swimming competition because he went off to kill all these sea monsters. And then he ends that by calling Unforth the kinslayer. It's like civil kind of just like brutal back and forth exchange. I love that.
Speaker 3: It was like, sure I lost the swimming contest, but it was only so I could go kill a bunch of semons. It's like humble bragging, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, unlike you who you know, killed your own kin.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Odin talks about burial mounds. At one point that which they use a euphemism which they explain in the notes, the men who have their home in the woods means like cairns and burial mounds and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that basically all of Thor's conquests that he brags about are like little conquests like combat fighting, and so he's defeated all these different people and these she wolves, like all these different things. But then basically all of Odin's bragging is about his conquest of women. And I was, like, seduced all these women. That's his way of bragging, which I mean, I guess gets to his like wisdom using the loose sense of the fact that like he's able to use his knowledge to be manipulative and like that scene has some kind of strength, obviously not in accordance with what we would call virtue, but it just goes to their different strengths that you know, he has his mind, Thor has his hammer.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like Odin, I guess is what we would today would say, he's crafty.
Speaker 1: Right, He's crafty.
Speaker 2: Let's try to find it in the state of the Volsums. But they also a portion had the like insult contest basically going back and forth. I was like, it just must have been comment of like man say like, oh, you're this and no, no, you're actually this.
Speaker 1: Right, this mix of bragging and insults.
Speaker 2: Especially that's from like ship to like land or shift across.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like over a large distance, right, yelling these things.
Speaker 3: To each other so the other guy can't just like punch you in the head or stab you or something.
Speaker 1: We need to get a Odin and Thor on Twitter, it.
Speaker 3: Would be better than ninety percent of the stuff that's there now.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: Eventually he just gives floor directions. He refuses in passage, and and Thor's like, well, fine, can you give me directions then? And he just does and then.
Speaker 1: It ends at what point Odin says, you know, I'll compensate you with an arm ring. And I don't know if you read the note no, because you know, he whatever this is, it brings some great offense to Thor, because Thor responds to that by saying, where did you find such despicable words? If it never heard words more despicable? And Larrington suggests that, okay, maybe this is because you know, armoring is like, it's not that significant. So it seems like he's a way of like dishonoring him with like junk, but also that she thinks that this might be some kind of euphemism for like some kind of sexual activity. Oh so that's why he responds, like, you just say something really full great here, I've never heard something so despicable, which that seems to make more sense given his response.
Speaker 3: That's the thing when you read this this older material and even scripture, sometimes we're missing a lot of cultural context, right, you know, like people read older books or mythology or the or the books of the Bible and say, well that's weird, and it's like, well, yeah, but we're we're you know, we didn't grow up in these centuries. You know, we're missing a lot of context here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna be weird at some point.
Speaker 1: That's true. But yeah, I mean I don't know how anything of like penetrating wisdom to break. It's funny exchange.
Speaker 3: I feel like this was more like entertainment, like this particular passage, and it was meant to like be anything profound or something like that.
Speaker 1: I just love how brutal it is. And again the fact that just kicks off with you looks like your mom died.
Speaker 3: I wonder if Thor's mom was actually dead by this point, because I think she was a giantess or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure, but it's.
Speaker 3: Just and they, you know, they They've brought this up in other adaptations of this material, like in the in the recent God of War games about just how poorly Odin treats Thor. You know, he's his son, and yet he treats him. He's clearly not the favorite son, and he's treated like just you know, like scum on his boot, you know, like right most reason.
Speaker 2: Oh, Odin's actually smart because he gets into an insult match with someone that he knows, but he's disguised himself. Yeah, it's like he's got the insight track on everything that's happened with got.
Speaker 1: Thora is just like, what's wrong with this reign of very Man?
Speaker 2: Why are you being so me?
Speaker 3: I was just like the whole time, I was thinking, he wants to get across this bay or whatever it is, And I'm like, you're a god. Can't you fly or like, you know, do some other thing that will transport you across this area? Why do you need this very man? Maybe thinking too much about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like sometimes they seem very limited and other times they don't, which I assume just gets to some of the different traditions and stories thrown together that sometimes they seem more like mortals than other times.
Speaker 3: They definitely certainly act like mortals most of the time. There's petty, jealous, vulgar.
Speaker 1: Not a great conclusion here, Yeah, I mean, is there anything else that anyone wants to bring up? It's okay if not, but I don't want to cut you off. If there is, all right, fair enough, Well, I think that's at least a fun way to end. I feel like it's a good conversation. And despite the fact that we're all amateurs here and obviously there's a lot that, you know, we're not picking up, I feel like it's a good bit that we are picking up, and I feel it's producing some good conversation. And so I've enjoyed this and I look forward to seeing where it goes next time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are fun. I've enjoyed reading these because I've never really you know, my only experience with the Norse myths has mostly been through adaptations or summaries, you know, like secondary material. It's it's neat to go back to the original source and and finally learn about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's definitely fun to dig into some things that we've only kind of experienced on the periphery. Also, it's just fun, you know, as somebody who you know, I make my living talking about things that I always claim to know. It's fun, you know, engaging with something like this where you know, none of us really know what's going on, which it's fun to explore it and to talk about it together. All right, well, I guess we'll go ahead and wrap it there, and so thanks again, thank you, thank you.