Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back.
Speaker 3: What is this place? Is connected? Disconnected?
Speaker 2: It's connected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 3: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 2: Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected. I'm starting to feel disconnected breaks the number that has been disconnected. Hello there, and welcome to another live Thursday night on Reconnected. This week with somebody that I've had the wonderful pleasure meeting in person, mister Connor.
Speaker 4: Hold Hi Connor, Hi Ryan. Thank you so much for having me. I'm thrilled the beer and hello to everyone watching listening.
Speaker 2: Love the background, love the shelves. How how's everything been lately? Oh? Dinner? Right?
Speaker 4: I just got back from a trip home to Minnesota. That was fun, high school friend's wedding. Yeah, and you know back in LA and what he was prizingly warm Minnesota. It was very disappointed. I was ready for sweater weather, but it was actually kind of a heat wave. And it's still pretty warm here in a lake because it's Los Angeles, so not with the October in my mind, but I know it is, but doesn't feel like it. So maybe my name event November?
Speaker 2: Who knows you've been doing kind of a lot of traveling over the last months. Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was over in Ireland for a wedding too. I have family in Ireland, so I was there for a cousin's wedding. Yeah, it was a great time. Hadn't been there in many years. And then yeah, my biggest, you know, for me, biggest trip of the year was I went over to Pennsylvania for the ninth annual VHS Fest at the Manhoneyan Drive in Theater. My first time ever going to that, So that was pretty awesome. That's been a pretty a bit of a fan of VHS.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to say for anybody that doesn't know or doesn't see, as you can see from the name on the screen, VHS Spectacular is what his name is across social media. So why the VHS love. I'm sure everybody asked that in twenty twenty five, but I think it's important, especially on the night when we're going to talk about a studio VHS release as part of the announcement. That's kind of weird, You're right.
Speaker 4: I think that's just indicative of how VHS is coming back. Baby, As you know, as a as a nineties kid, I grew up with a VHS. I have a lot of memories of popping in those tapes, renting them from a Hollywood Video or Blockbuster, whatever you chose, and and.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of nostalgia for me.
Speaker 2: But then.
Speaker 4: Definitely it was around like twenty eighteen, I started like, hey, you know, I really like VHS. I think it's it's kind of a it's fun to collect the look of it, the feel of it nostalgia, but also realizing there were a lot of films that weren't available on DVD or Blu Ray, so I wanted to collect those or different versions, like you know, edited versions or unreleased versions. So I started collecting those, and then over during COVID there was a big explosion of people creating Beature's accounts, sharing, swapping tapes, selling, buying, and then once things open up again here in Los Angeles, we had two stores open up right afterwards. We had be Kind Video and Whammy, both places that sell VHS tapes like in a real location. And there's been so many VHS swaps now here in Los Angeles because I started seeing them like in like Austin or Seattle. Hey, we got to this a last angers and now in Los Angeles has so many of them, like every week, every weekend is a VH swap and names. So there's that, and now we're seeing studios put out these social anniversary vhs. Actually, you know, right here, I saw the TV Glowe VHS tape. Look at that baby, like, and this one feels right to me because a it's a film that wasn't a v HS but it obviously should be based on the movie. It is like what's in the movie and the topic because it's exploring, it makes sense on VHS. So I'm so happy that exists. I also want don't want to open it. It's too precious. But I think that's what. You know, we've seen the vinyl grow and grow every year. Some musicians put out their albums on cassette tapes now as well. So I think now now we're seeing these new VHS tapes. We're seeing this like, hey, you know people will pay for an eschallenge.
Speaker 2: Is that but tonight that was on VHS that you know, American Psycho is something that was previously on VHS and so to get it again.
Speaker 4: I know it And that was funny because like it was at leased on VHS or yeah, so like now it's a new VHS, like, so is it better than my old VH whatever?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's new, but you can you can guarantee no mold.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess you're right.
Speaker 4: I remember, hopefully years on the on the Pulp Fiction DVD or one of his interviews turn to talking about how like he wasn't a fan of you know, VHS because of pan and scans, but I personally approved it. So I have personally done all the panning scanning myself, so it's a good VHS.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 4: I approve all the panny and scanning that happens in the film. All right, well he checked it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh so. Yeah, I mean lots of VHS love over the last couple of years from from multiple companies. I mean, you've got places like lunch Meat that's still doing special editions multiple times a year. You've got Terror Vision doing stuff on VHS. You've got A twenty four has done a few. Now I think it's.
Speaker 3: Not just yeahvid a Climax as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one of the other ones. Yeah, but yeah, I mean more and more of these are doing well. I mean even like Scarecrow Video you can still rent vhs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, scro shout out to Scarecrow. What an incredible video store. Yeah, the fact that they have vhs so many available to rent, like you have to like put.
Speaker 3: Out a deposit, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Scercow does allow you to rent DVDs for the mail, which is awesome. I've done that, but yeah, you can't rent the vhs through mail. They're protective, which is good. But here in La I volunteer with the Vidiots, which is a major video store and it has a cinema as well, but they have a huge collection of hs as well, so they are I'm helping volunteer with them to catalog and eventually digitize all of their rare VHS tapes. So hopefully in a few years maybe we'll be able to rent those as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would be would be swell.
Speaker 3: There's so many that just we can't.
Speaker 4: You know, we'll talk about one tonight that I didn't think would get a Blu ray and it's be announced tonight, so we'll talk about that. But like, yeah, just like you don't know. Sometimes you you may wait years and it still isn't available on disc.
Speaker 2: That's true. You also, I mean, I don't know how much you want to reveal. You work some in the industry, can you show, yeah what you do?
Speaker 4: I work in post production, mostly in reality TV. So yeah, Like I moved out here to Los Angeles after college. Uh so I'm happy to working in the industry doing something creative.
Speaker 3: But I love that.
Speaker 4: I also have hobbies like my Instagram account and and I do a lot of VHS swaps here and I just love I love it.
Speaker 3: Like, there's some things to do in LA. I can volunteer at a cinema.
Speaker 4: I can volunteer at Gardina Cinemai's a little family run independent cinema. I can check out Beyond Fest or uh Sinecon Classic Film Festival.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wrote about uh Silent Silent and classic films that aren't available on disc either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was the next thing I was gonna bring up. I've also written gosh, and now it's been the vast majority of the r physical media Advocate. You've been incredible, which has led to us meeting in person. But yeah, what what what are what are some of the better stories that uh, you know have have gone on for writing for that because I know Cinnecon was a big deal. Alex Ross Perry was a big deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was that was really great that I trust. Perry did the documentary Video Heaven this year, which if you're a video store guy like me, it's just catnap. It was just that was your catenamp. It was amazing to watch and gain to talk to him about the movie, and he was great because he's just like, yeah, I'm open to anyone who wants talk about it. I'll talk about it any any publication. I just want to vote this movie. It's it's I know that there's fans of video stores out there. I want to make sure they hear about it. So he was very nice to talk.
Speaker 3: To and I got to meet him.
Speaker 4: He was at I ran to a VHS fest and then I came to LA for a Q and A, so I said him twice then. Yeah, So like, it was very cool to talk to him, and I gave him a physical copy of the magazine, so he was very appreciation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, speaking of that, you do a lot of events around LA and all that stuff too. What's been one of the more exciting ones for this year for you that are specifically in LA that people around the country. You really can't get to well.
Speaker 3: You know, like beyond fest just here in La. That was great.
Speaker 4: I went to a anniversary screening of the Ring with Gorovinski there to introduce it.
Speaker 3: Nice son.
Speaker 2: And La.
Speaker 4: So many things, uh, too many things, like there's the Bob Baker Marionette Theater, there's screenings at Whammy and b Kind Video, and there's VHS swaps. So many VHS vendors I work with and we do swaps all year round.
Speaker 3: I did a.
Speaker 4: Screening, I hosted a screening recently of El Mariachi on VHS. We projected it on a movie screen on VHS.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 4: It looks surprisingly good, like actually like that that tape holds up. It looks good like it was, you know, a low budget film, but it feels right almost on VHS because he made that film for the VHS market.
Speaker 2: So it's Rodriguez. I think most of his films kind of fit on VHS too, and now we're now we're getting some of them in four K. It's crazy, I.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, that's the craziest thing.
Speaker 4: And definitely check out like that the The Mexico Trilogy box set from who Was It In the in England it was Arrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My friend Carlos Aguilar wrote the essay for that box set.
Speaker 2: So okay, uh, well, not only vhs, you buy a lot of physical media and promote all of that. What what else have you been getting in lately?
Speaker 3: Oh? You know, Will I'm a big nineties guy.
Speaker 4: And then it's nostalgia, so I'm also, yeah, I collect a couple, you know, toys and figurines. I feel like I I feel like I I'm not saying my parents didn't buy me stuff as a kid, but I feel like I just there was a certain unspoken like, hey, you get Christmas, May Birthday, that's it, and now adult money. I'm gonna go in a little haywire here with all Hey, I never bought all the Hook toys, you know, I'm kind I'm gonna collect all the Hook toys.
Speaker 3: I deserve those.
Speaker 4: I've got the I've got the Hook Happy Meal toys and everything else.
Speaker 3: I'm not everything getting there, getting there.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be upset if I were to pick up the Batman the animated series bat Cave again that I had as a kid. That cave is so perfect.
Speaker 3: That sounds fun.
Speaker 2: So what about some blu rays and stuff, anything you want to show people.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, here, I'll go through it some like things I've been picking up. So so a VHS fest here. I got Bebey's Kids on VHS. I know it's on blue right now. I'm very happy's the Blue r But this is pretty cool, like a nactual I just started as years ago. I think it's terrific, so much fun. Underrated film? Uh Alien from La Nice?
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 2: Peon?
Speaker 3: Definitely, you know Kookie film, a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Another one that I would say pretty much everything he's done fits on VHS.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I have his film Radioactive Dreams, which is still trapped on VHS.
Speaker 3: Hopefully one day gets the Blue Room.
Speaker 4: Uh So, I was in Ireland and I picked up Adam and Paul, which is what's his name, Lenny Abramson who did Room. This is one of his first films, but it's not available in the US. No one released in the US. And also the fun thing is that it's tower records because Dublin still has a tower records. It's Dublin and Tokyo the only cities in the world that still have tower records. So glad I could support them. All right, what else we got here?
Speaker 2: Some Tower records in the twenty twenties.
Speaker 4: Exactly, all right, some of the recent pickups. Northern Lights. I'm a big fan of this movie. I'm so happy this is finally out. I actually talked to the directors like two or three years ago and I was like, Hey, I can't I hope this someone get the Blue Rays some day, Like, well, we're working on working on it, and finally this year it finally happens. So I'm so thrilled. We'll love great Minnesota or Midwest film. Yeah, North Dakota classic, really beautiful film.
Speaker 2: Xana Do.
Speaker 3: I heard you guys talk about this like, oh I gotta get that love zan Do.
Speaker 4: What a what a film? So wild, so kooky. There was like a forty fifth anniversary here in Lap months ago where what's his name, what's his name? Michael Beck was there, had a screen I missed the screening, but I went to like the after party.
Speaker 3: People were hanging out. That was fun. Just super fans. We love this movie so much. Great La movie too, filmed all over the city.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Tragedy of Man from Deaf Crocodile got release.
Speaker 3: Got check us out because I love.
Speaker 4: Yankovik's other film, The Love Son of the White Mayor and Johnny Corn Cob so y I checked this out. I love Def Crocodile. I love what they do, beautiful releases. A gunbuster. It's an anime OVA series from this is.
Speaker 3: From Discotech Media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so happy this exist because it's from what's his name Hideakiano before he did Evangelian, so one of his earlier works but very hard to find for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Disco Tech doing some great stuff lately.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I love Discothech, you know. I'm so happy we have Discotech for all the anime vintage stuff, and then we have Def Carcodile for all the non anime and the miles we have g kids there as well. Kind of between the three of them we get a lot of great animation.
Speaker 2: True what we got it?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, from from Cinematograph, I've got Breathless.
Speaker 2: They were they.
Speaker 4: Did a pop up here in La in person, so it's great to pick this up. I need to watch this because I need I love La movies, so I need to watch this one because anything shot in La interests me. And then finally, I've got blood cults, uh from the Gossiper video. This one's crazy because it's not extreamy anywhere. So I haven't even seen this one yet. But I don't really do blind vis that often. I try to relimit it somethings, I you know, I love it, really, I try to keep more to that. But this one straight up isn't streaming, and it's the first shot on video horror film, so I was like, I need, I need to get this.
Speaker 3: I can watch it.
Speaker 2: So it's a piece of history exactly.
Speaker 4: So because this is you know, and as the joke goes, I love when these obscure horror films have hours and hours of special features, interviews, making os, and then you have like Best Picture winners that have a trailer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe the classic interactive menu as a special feature.
Speaker 4: Oh interactive menu.
Speaker 2: I've got that are pretty special. One that I've not seen many people talk about. And there's there's a couple of loud people complaining about these not being perfect. So I'm kind of curious to see how imperfect they are. But I personally, I don't think I've talked too much in depth about this. But I have five tattoos, two of them movie related. One is the Muppets, which I've said many times. The other one is I have a Peanuts tattoo. So here is the pe Nuts Ultimate TV Specialist Collection that just came out. For what this is, I feel like this was very fairly priced. It's like sixty five or seventy dollars and this is literally like all of the TV specials that they can release. I think there's still four or five that have not been released on I think they might be on DVD.
Speaker 3: Be the musical in there.
Speaker 2: I think it is okay, but thought that.
Speaker 3: Was the rarest one.
Speaker 4: I've seen that film on VHS, but I wasn't sure if it was available on DVD.
Speaker 2: Now it's mostly like licensing problems like the Snoopy at the Super Bowl one that they can't ever show. But yeah, there's like four do they have the number in here? Yeah? There are forty full specials in this, and I thought that's pretty incredible for like sixty buckscept bucks.
Speaker 4: Because you can buy like a Blu ray of just the Trybron Christmas for like twenty right, it's just on Christmas, and they charge you twenty for that, like if you just want to get them all sixty.
Speaker 3: That seems like a pretty good deal.
Speaker 2: It's a decent deal. Yeah, just got this in so I haven't checked it out yet, but BFI's Short Sharp Shocks Vol. Four. I have enjoyed all of the ones that they've done for these. There's always been at least half of them that I've never even heard of, let alone seen, and they are they're genuinely like short not they call them shocks. I won't say they're all horror, but they're all like cult or cult adjacent at least or genre adjacent. So yeah, eager to get into this one. They I hope they just keep going with these. This line is really really cool another classic animation, since I knew that you and I would both be championing that a little bit. But Warner Archive, I feel like, has had a killer year and a half the Frankenstein, Juter and The Impossibles. This was just recently on sale. I couldn't say no, Like it's been on the wish list for the longest time, and I mean for a two disc really great release, it was way too cheap. And then you also share deaf Crocodile. I just got in serious and for anybody that has not seen, not only like the film because most people have not yet, but just the art on this is like I don't normally harp too much on the physical package, but Deaf Crocodile does literally like one of the top two or three companies in the game for the art that they do. And speaking of that, new pre orders are tomorrow morning at nine am Pacific for their next release. It is a trilogy of films with art. My friend of the channel, mister Sam's myth that did the art for his first release for Deaf Crocodile, and it is pretty incredible and I really hope people check it out, although it is very different from every Deaf Crocodile release so far for their art, and I think some people are gonna be like kind of taken aback by it. But you got to take a moment and look at the picture because there's there's like a message in the message and it's it's really wonderfully done.
Speaker 3: Nice. Nice.
Speaker 2: What you've been watching the last few weeks, Well.
Speaker 4: I just saw the new Kiss the Spider Woman the news. Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I think uh and Diego Luna are phenomenal together. Yeah, they're really fantastic. I really enjoyed the musical numbers with Jennifer Lopez. I haven't seen the original actually, so now I'm curious to go back and watch that to see how it compares.
Speaker 3: But I thought it was really, really good. Yeah. I just hopefully people check it out.
Speaker 4: I know it's kind of you know, it's a it's a busy time in the box office, but hopefully people will go see it.
Speaker 3: I think it's worth checking out.
Speaker 2: It. Uh. It surprised me. I had never seen the original. I went into this, uh, knowing very little about the film itself. But yeah, the the two leads and not I know, Diego Luna, because he's like very well known, is probably gonna get a little bit more of the spotlight between the two of them. But man, they they both are just hundred percent on fire in this field. Really well acted, really vulnerable roles. I mean, yeah, I did not go into the movie expecting them to have a multiple minutes long conversation about diarrhea and uh he's prison.
Speaker 4: Man is gives hunger. The course the film about Belfast, like the painting, the swirls on the walls with feces, Yeah, you know, prisons Prison's rough Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a good movie. It's quite in your face queer, which I really enjoyed about it. It did not hold anything back. Nice to see. I I liked it quite a bit. Anything else from you?
Speaker 4: What is it? One battle out for another really good DiCaprio killing it as usual. He's he's like, oh my god, he's he's always good. He's he's he's one of our paths. Really, but also Sean Pan, Tiana Taylor del Toro, just phenomenal performances, and that at that ending, that final chase.
Speaker 3: Scene one of the best scenes of the area.
Speaker 2: Growing up in the high desert in southern California.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ye, that last like twenty minutes of that movie was so like, I feel like I'm back home because so many of those like as a kid that you see the road go up and down like that and you're just stuck in it. Oh my gosh. It was so perfectly shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I saw I was looking up here in a leg. I got to see it on VistaVision at the at the Vista Theater here Tarantino owned theater, and that was really, really, really great and just like it's been sold out, like almost every day, every showing sold out.
Speaker 3: It was like two weeks.
Speaker 2: So you're in La, I have to go see its. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had to see it at ten am on my Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The night crew from the night before were still working. It's funny.
Speaker 4: I just saw what's his name, Dennis min Yeah the or was it about the River Bend screen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I want to go to that.
Speaker 4: I wish I could have gone to that because I think I have River been on VHS somewhere because.
Speaker 3: I picked it up one time.
Speaker 2: No way, that's once again.
Speaker 4: That was a film that was on VHS for decades and now it's coming out on on on Blu Ray.
Speaker 3: I think, so, hey, you never know, you know, things will happen.
Speaker 2: Coming out on Blu ray. After a six K restoration, like, that's amazing, amazing for a Sam Furst and Berg film.
Speaker 3: I won't even know what six K that is.
Speaker 4: That does a six K play in the sphere in Vegas? Like, what is the point of a six K?
Speaker 2: There was it Wizard of Us? Something played the Spear but something recently got a twelve K restoration. I don't remember which one it was.
Speaker 3: When will they learn how many ks do you need?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff that's awesome that you got riverbend on VHS this last week.
Speaker 3: Mountain the vhs that I can't.
Speaker 2: This last week. And I also saw a Good Boy, uh, the dog focused horror movie. I don't say much about it. It's it didn't dazzle me or anything, although the dog is incredible. But I think it's really interesting that we get a Good Boy in Presence from Soderberg in the same year because they're both like haunted house movies perspective of something else.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like, what's it called? I just watched on the plane. I watched Drop, the thriller about the woman who gets thing like Mesaine phone you don't tell anyone, you know, follow my rules or your kid dies, which is like, huh. I just saw carry On last year, which is about a uh TS agent's like starts gating messages like, you know, follow my rules or your wife dies. Like is this the thing, like the the uh mysterious stranger in your ear telling you to do kill someone or you or you die?
Speaker 3: Like is this a trend?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: That's the next one gonna be like on your Apple Watch?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I liked you know, I like, you know that one's an airport, this one's a restaurant. It's like I heard a joke one time. You know, they had stakes in a plane, you know, you know thrillerund tight space. Nexty're gonna have a bear on a ski lift even smaller space.
Speaker 2: I mean to be fair, Adam Green's Frozen came out in twenty ten, and then, truly, you're right, we didn't as close as you can get to.
Speaker 3: The There wasn't a bear, though they should have had a bear.
Speaker 2: There was wolves, just not well.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, well I didn't see it. There we go watched it.
Speaker 2: I also got lucky enough see Black Phone two a couple of days ago. In an early screening. I liked this quite a bit more than the first one. Not that I hated the first one, but this is a very big departure from the Black Phone. It is an odd, very different, like supernatural take on the continuation of the story. It's also one of those sequels that is also a sequel and prequel baked in one, because they not that they're like ret conning thing, but they're taking the lore and expanding it in a way that you have to know a little bit more about it, so they do that somewhat okay, but it's good. I think the acting is pretty pretty spot on throughout the whole thing. There's a couple of comedic moments that are quite funny, but I think it's scarier. I think the essential like Nightmare and Elm Street Rift that they go for in it is pretty pretty decent. For a film that seemed like there was no way to do a sequel, I thought they held their own pretty well.
Speaker 4: I saw Megan two on the Plane as well, which is also sequel. Not as much fun as the first one, but like all I appreciate like trying to expand. It just wasn't quite as good but still entertaining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm eager to see Megan Tokyo Drift next.
Speaker 3: Meghan in space please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's let's boot her out of here. I'm gonna be honest. My My big surprise from this last weekend was roof Many Channing Tatum film. I was just completely taken with both chanting Tatum and Kirsten Dunst is incredible in the movie. She doesn't even have like a ton to do, but just being the actress that she is like the lines on her face in every scene are telling a story. She's a wonderfully responsive actor, and the story itself is compelling. I do think people that are, you know, checking this out because they love like mainstream Channing Tatum are probably gonna walk into a theater and be slightly disappointed because it They're gonna say it drags a little bit in the middle of it. But really, I felt like all it did was like it gave proper like not just explanation or exposition, but like you start to really empathize with all of the characters. And with a movie like this, that's kind of a rare thing. Usually it's like, let's just get to the next plot point and call it a day. But they actually give them room to breathe in this, and I gotta be honest, I was very surprised with how successful the entire thing was.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: I've been a Dunst fan my whole life, man, all the way back to any of the Vampire and Jumanji drop dead gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Man, here's a Dunce awesome actress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep her in that Dunst cap. That was a terrible trike. Any anything else that you want to shout out.
Speaker 4: Not much else really, yeah, yeah, you know support you know it's halloweens, so you know, support your repertory cinemas if you can. I thought a lot of cinemas are playing like here here your Screams and your Nymer album streets or your Halloween's, but you know, go support them. The repertory cinemas are a wonderful thing. And if you can, we got one near you. Go out and buy a big popcorn and have a good nime because we got to support these cinemas as well as our physical media, you know.
Speaker 2: Of course, I uh, speaking of physical media, I just remembered because I must have forgotten to put it in letterbox. But we showed our kids child's play this week. It was uh, it was a good time. I put the four K of it, which I gotta say, that movie a lot grainier than I remember, a very grain heavy film scan on that one. Good movie. It's fun. It's nowhere near even like my top four of the whole franchise probably, but.
Speaker 4: I've only seen the first one actually, so yeah, what's the best sequel?
Speaker 2: I truly love Bride of Chucky. And even if you don't go that deep into like the comedy, because by by Bride of Chucky they're full in just camp mode. Child's Play two is very, very good. I think that's the best one by a long shot. I just think it was hilarious because we put in Child's Play and when I don't, it takes a minute to see the title screen, so my kid didn't know what it was at first, and then when we it might have been like the good guy doll Packaging finally shows up and he went, is this Chucky? And I said, yes, this is Child's Play? And he goes he put his hands like this and says, is it rated R? And I said, yes it is. He was my first rated R.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that a tough choice picking your first R rated film.
Speaker 2: For him, it kind of has been because first off, there's a lot of really great PG thirteens that set set the stage. And then this for a for a rated R film, this is really tame, like they they say fuck three times, and I think that's the only reason that it's rated R. But right, okay, and he's not even much gore.
Speaker 4: There's yeah, he's creepy, but he like he like he like just tries to strangle her or pull her hair, but like yeah, like it's not like gory. Yeah, but like because at the screening of The Ring, Rabinsky talked about like making The Ring as P thirteen ye, and how that was that was always intention because they wanted to be available for a wider audience. But like, that film is a pretty hard p to thirteen, And it was definitely like a lot of kids, that was probably their first like really scary horror film in theaters, Like, whoa, this is really scary for that I can go see you know. Uh, they pushed, they pushed as far as they could that be thirteen. But my first rate of film I think at home. Honestly, it might have been like Braveheart because my dad's a big like historical epic guy. So I might have been like Brave Heart maybe same probably Ryan or something like my dad loves war films like that, so or Danceing with is it Dance With Wolves are rated? I might have seen that probably yeah, probably, I thought.
Speaker 2: I think there's some nudity in that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I thought I thought that pretty young too. Yeah, we love those kind of sweeping epics. And then my first R rated in theater I don't think was to grind House.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 2: That's a fun first rated R thunder. I don't even know what my first R in theater was. That's a good question. I technically I guess at home. My first R was also Child's Play. I just got together. But I was four years old and a babysitter showed me I should not have been watching it. Oh man. Yeah, I think the first R that I will like remember was Halloween. I was eight years old. My parents showed me Halloween and it scared the shit out of me. For the rest of the night, I was like completely frozen, would not move, my limbs, couldn't do anything.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing never the ghost bumps, goosebumps, the haunted mask, the mask that will come off.
Speaker 3: I saw that as a kid. That freaked me out for.
Speaker 2: Days, unplanned. But I'm wearing a guy right now.
Speaker 3: Incredible episode, incredible stuff.
Speaker 2: I love me some goosebumps growing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was a goose. I didn't grow up with all you afraid of the dark. I didn't have that, but I had goosebumps.
Speaker 2: Nice. All right, We ready to talk about some Normally i'd say blue Rays, but VHS even tonight all the table, let's do it before I show the first title. I got a shout out. Most weeks after the show, I hang out for a while and I talked to my dear friend in the chat here, mister d Sibner, And last week we were talking and we said, when the hell is Second Site actually going to reveal Possession? And last Thursday night I said, watch, I have a feeling it's gonna be tomorrow morning. They're gonna announce it, and it's gonna come out on December fifteenth, and it's gonna be a wonderful four K box set with the original art so they don't piss people off. And all of that came true, except for I was off on the release date by one week. So our first title, Possession, coming on four K Blu Ray in the UK from Second Site on December eighth. We got a brand new, producer approved four K restoration with HDR and Dolby Vision. We got a dual format three disc edition with a four K and two Blu ray discs. If you go for their Deluxe you've got the North American edit and the uncut edit on here as well. There's a new audio commentary by Alexander Heller Nicholas and Alison Taylor. We've got some archival commentaries as well. We got a new r new commentary on the North American edit version from Daniel Byrd and Manuela Lazac. We've got Kat Ellinger speaking on Possession. We've got the US reception featurette on here interviewed with a composer, all kinds of archival extras. And then, of course big book two hundred and twenty page hardback book with new essays by Daniel Bird, Elena Lazik and Alison Taylor, plus some old writing on the film. And then, if that's not even enough, another book two hundred and eleven page original shooting script with notes by Schwefski himself and Frederick Tuten. Yeah, this is a hell of a release, Possession. How do you feel about Possession.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it actually, but it's crazy. I've been told to watch it so many times. I see all the time, Oh I got it more Possession. I doinitely feel it's simply one of those like I feel in the last few years people are discovering it, like, oh, you gotta watch this, so I'm late to the party.
Speaker 3: But definitely. This is this is gorgeous.
Speaker 4: The fact that you know, it's it's always incredible to see what they're doing with physical media, how much they're giving you the script, you know, the box set.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just it's wild.
Speaker 4: And like it's I haven't seen that, but like it's like there are certain movies like if My fair movie got this box set, like, oh my god, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: So Stan is asking in the chat, how overpriced is it now for a four K and two Blu ray disc release with two giant books in a full box set with six art cards and all the second site extras and all that stuff. Yeah, US retailers are selling this for sixty five dollars. To me, that doesn't seem overpriced at all for this giant of a release. I will point out that a studio this week announced a VHS release of American Psycho and that was thirty dollars and that sold out. So yeah, this is uh to me, this seems very fairly for four hundred pages worth of books plus three discs in a box. Yeah, that's a that's a decent price.
Speaker 4: Like I said, like, if this is your favorite movie, Hey, my friend Joey's there. Hey, my friend Raizor Crank there.
Speaker 2: He wants you to watch Possession with him.
Speaker 4: We can watch it together, Joey, Because yeah, like I think, but if this is your favorite movie and you're obsessed with you known more about it, then this is what you want to get. This is what you want. I get it, Eric Vincent, I understand. Like I just bought the internationally. Yeah, that's happened. We'll talk about one of the one of these films tonight. Like I was, I was almost gonna buy it. I'm gonna wait, I'm gonna wait, and then yes, a US relief came, Like, ah good, I don't have to buy the for and pay the shipping. Yeah, but you're right, that's always the should I wait, should I get now?
Speaker 3: You don't know, it's.
Speaker 2: Tough, especially when you start talking about territories and Possession will likely eventually also get a US release. But I mean, at this point, sixty five bucks is not that bad for what you're getting for this, for sure. But if that's not enough, you could also on the same day get a wonderful four K box set of Reanimator from Second Site. Now this one's interesting because we do have a US release of this that probably less people than normal gots because the US release of this is roughly about eighty five dollars US and this thing, which has almost the same amount of features, there's a few less, but you know it's the same scan all that stuff. This will only fifty bucks. And that's importing it from another country. That's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, fun.
Speaker 4: After that turns forty years old this week, I think that's yeah, yeah, that's a fun movie. I haven't seen the sequel, but man Reanner is a good time. It's a wacky, wacky fun movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love this movie. Love me everybody associated with the Silly franchise. I mean, it's it's hard to turn down. Barbara Crampton and Jeffick Coombs and Stuart Court like, yeah, this is amazing. Check out Reanimator. I will say the four K looks amazing. This will make anybody happy that has either never seen it or maybe you're upgrading all the way from VHS or DVD. It's huge. If you already got the Blu Ray, the Aero Blu Ray, it's it is a step up, but don't feel like you have to get it that Aero Blu Ray was absolutely incredible when it came out, for sure. Yeah all right, so that was second site and now it's time to get into Terror Vision putting out their Shoe String Slashers Volume two box set. This is coming in first quarter of twenty twenty six. You can pre order this now as part of their thirteen Weeks of Halloween. Use the code combine all capitals if you want to save on shipping. You've already got something in the films in this We've got blood Symbol. This one is on the next page, so I don't know the year nineteen ninety two. The next one in the box set is Night of the Dribbler. I shall be cut on the it's such a silly cover. It is such a fun cover, Night of the Dribbler. I am lost. This one is nineteen ninety and then the third and final one in here is Blood Spell, and that is nineteen eighty eight. I believe at least two of these were shot on video this time. It might even be all three. But these are pretty damn fun. I won't say that they're all incredible movies, but they're definitely fun. And if you like obscure Slashers. It really doesn't get more obscure than what they've done in their Shoestring Slashers box sets. So far, I think you're gonna be happy. Plus all of them lots of extras. We've got people that are involved in the films. Alexander Heller, Nicholas is doing visual essays. There is a lot to get into here, new commentaries, new interviews. Every single film gets a bunch of new extras. Have you seen any of these three? No?
Speaker 3: I haven't sad any of these, but know so.
Speaker 4: Once again, I'm happy that we're at a point where even the most obscure films are getting proper releases. That's very exciting. I think that's that's a good thing for everyone. But man, yeah, I have never heard any of these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is That is the way to do it, especially when you're calling it shoe string. Then we got a whole bunch, Like Warner Archive has stepped up their output. For a long time, we were happy getting maybe three releases in a month, and now they're like, screw it, We're releasing everything. So we've got a big month. All of these coming on November eighteenth on Blu Ray in the us from Warner Archive. First one, We've got the Marx Brothers at the Circus from nineteen thirty nine. This has the Our Gang comedy short Dog Days on it, the MGM cartoon Jitterbug Follies. We've got the Leo Is on the Air radio promo, which is an ODDI only thing, and then a theatrical trailer on here Marx Brothers. Seen much from them.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen this one, but I love duck Soup. That's a classic. Yeah, I've seen duck Soup and I've seen is it? Uh, Marx Brothers. Is it the Opera? Is it? That's the one? The other one? I forget the one? That one.
Speaker 4: Duck Soup definitely great. But I definitely should see more Marx Brothers. It's one of those like I keep saying I should just like a couple of things. There's like I should just watch all Mark Blows, I should watch I never seen any w. C.
Speaker 3: Fiel. I should watch all of w. C. Field.
Speaker 4: You know, I've seen, like, I love Chaplain, so I've seen basically every Chaplain film. But it's definitely Night of the Opera, Thank you. There's definitely some like.
Speaker 3: Uh like thin the Thin Man, series.
Speaker 4: I've seen none of those. There's like five six of those movies. I just watched those sometimes.
Speaker 2: That's a good series. Yeah, so that's the Marx Brothers. Next is The Iron Mistress. This is from nineteen fifty two with Alan Ladd and Virginia Mayo. This one as the WB cartoons Cracked Quack and Hair Lift, and then the trailers on there as well four K scan of the original Technicolor camera negatives on this one. This is bound to look gorgeous. More Archive just does incredible work on their restorations. I had somebody comment on this one, and I feel like it was somebody here. It might have been Jim Tutor's Jim, if you're watching, Hi, I think you said, I'll take an Alan Ladd please hold the Mayo and I laughed quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Next up, speaking of The Thin Man, We've got the two stars of The Thin Man, William Powell and Myrna Loy in I Love You Again. This is from nineteen forty. This one's gonna have the lux Radio Theater broadcast with Myrna Loy and Carrie Grant and then Fitzpatrick TRAVELTOK. Short subject Cavalcade of San Francisco, plus an MGM cartoon, The Milky Way, and a trailer once again four K scan of the preservation elements. I've never seen this one, but Pall and Lawyer are great together, so I'm sure this is incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, definitely sounds good to me.
Speaker 2: Moving to our next one, We've got It's Love I'm After with Leslie Howard, Betty Davis, and Olivia de Havlind someone is from nineteen thirty seven. We had a classic Warner Brothers cartoons, Porky's Building and Porky's Bad Time Story and a trailer. I know nothing about this. I know a couple of the actresses, and that is it.
Speaker 4: I'm always I got them curious. How do they pick which cartoons go with which release? I'm wondering do they thematically linked? Is it just whatever was next on the availability? But I wonder if it was, how much decision making goes into picking the cartoon.
Speaker 2: If George Feldstein ever answers my emails, that will be one of the questions I've asked because I've always wanted to know, like, yeah, I mean, it could be, it could be chronological. I guess, like, do they come out the same year as The Face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure that could be it. Yeah, I'd love to know.
Speaker 2: God, I'd love to know. All right, that's that one. Next up is The Miracle from nineteen fifty nine. This has a cartoon Bonanza Bunny and Harrabian Nights on here also as a trailer. And then again, like we talked about with the riverbend, six K scans the original Technicolor camera negatives. Yeah, like wo e, It's gonna be beautiful, no doubt, just amazing. Next up is Silver River with Errol flynnring we talked about him and just for minute again November eighteenth. For this one, again, this is from nineteen forty eight. We got the classic Warner Brothers cartoons Rabbit Punch and Two Gophers from Texas, plus the trailer on here. And this one is a four K scan of the original nitrate negatives. And then The Bride Came cod from nineteen forty one with James Cagney and Betty Davis. I have always heard that this one is great, have not had a chance to see it. This one has quite a lot of extras. For Warner Archive, We've got Warner Night at the Movies nineteen forty one, a short subject gallery, vintage newsreel, musical shorts, Carnival of Rhythm, and the Oscar nominated forty Boys in a Song. We've got classic Warner Brothers cartoons, Porky's Pooch Rhapsody and Rivets and Saddie Silly. We all are sorry, Saddle Silly. We've also got the theatrical trailer for Honeymoon for three, plus a bonus cartoon, The Bird Came Cod, then a Lux Radio theater broadcast of The Bride Game Cood with Bob Hope and Hetty Lamar, plus the trailer. And yes, this is a four K scam, Like that is a lot for a Warner Archive disc and this is gonna go on sale for like thirteen bucks. How do you argue with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, And what's called?
Speaker 4: Like, I think a lot of these films, I wonder I'm you know, Snecon called the film Mustval I one of the one of a lot of these played there maybe over the years, and now they're finally coming to Blue rays.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure with someone out there is like, oh, finally, I've been waiting for this film for years.
Speaker 2: So I just wish there was a way to order this cod as well, So that is that for Warner Archive. Next up, we've got interesting rollout for how Severn is doing this. We had it revealed that on December eighth they are releasing a four K of The Wild Geese, but only in the UK. As it turns out, there also releasing this in the US, but that will be early next year. So if you're over in the UK, you can order this from the Seven Films dot co dot UK website. Now, this is a three disc limited set. It's going to have an exclusive fifty Men in the Valley of the Shadow, a three hundred and sixteen page color hardbound book on the making of The Wild Geese by Tony Earnshaw. There's an original soundtrack CD on this. There is six UK Lobby Guard reproductions and then brand new commentaries, brand new extras, all kinds of stuff coming in this and yes, all of this will be coming to the US, but you got to wait till later this year to be able to pre order. I had a lot of people ask if this is the first seven UK release, not at all. They actually have many, well many is relative compared to what they've done in the US, but they have more than a handful. They put out the russ Meyer stuff in the UK. Years ago, they put out Basket in the UK. They've done some stuff, but they don't do quite enough over in the UK for sure.
Speaker 3: No, I've never heard of this film, but you know said from the Good Company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they do some solid stuff. And I had a lot of people ask this is a weird one for seven to put out. I think Seven puts this out because I think this is a David Gregory favorite because it was popular in the UK and he's from.
Speaker 3: The UK, so this is personal favor for him.
Speaker 2: That and all the video nasties are all his share, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Sure. Sure.
Speaker 2: This year's film, Red Sonia, is getting a Blu Ray release from Golden Films on November eleventh. I have heard the just most polar opposite feelings of this, that this is amazing and that this is a crime against humanity. I have a feeling you have not seen this one yet.
Speaker 3: I don't even know it existed. I remember Robert Riguez and.
Speaker 4: Rose McGowan were trying to make this remake like ten years ago and never went anywhere. I was like I was, I've never I had no idea that they finally made it. But yeah, that poster doesn't give much hope.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, I.
Speaker 2: Gotta be honest, most unless it's an even then I was gonna say, unless it's a giant theatrical film that the modern posters don't do a lot for me. But many of those aren't doing great either. I feel like I feel like we're letting streaming services dictate poster choices nowadays, and streaming services the key art.
Speaker 3: That they use for those, yeah, yeah, are just.
Speaker 2: The most atrocious and bland pieces of crap ever.
Speaker 3: Yep, totally agree. Just close up of a face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're lucky and like maybe maybe the title sometimes.
Speaker 3: Eh, you like George Clooney, click on his face.
Speaker 2: You'll watch anything. But that's the lob in it. Uh. Speaking of terrible posters, coming on October twenty seventh in the UK on Blu Ray from Dazzler Media is Diced. This is the worst title ever Dice reloaded. I have heard this is awful. It definitely looks awful. Adam, thank you for that. I'm gonna go back to that last one. As we were talking about it, I meant to bring us upt the beginning and totally forgot. It's kind of crazy in a week where we have lost Hollywood great in Diane Keaton, a music great in Ace Freely that possibly overshadowing both of them, is by far the most prolific, most well known cinematic poster artist of all time, mister Drew Strusan. He has done many of the most famous posters that you've seen, The most famous posters for Star Wars that are giant are just some of the examples of stuff that you've appreciated from him and just probably not even known the name for many people. Drew is a powerhouse of talent. He's had books dedicated to his ubra. He is just.
Speaker 3: Documentary about him as great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredible. Oh God, see Brendan brought up D'Angelo for some reason, I thought D'Angelo was last week. That's why I didn't say anything. It's been a crazy week for for big deaths.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, Drew Trews. They'll be out. Like some of my favorite posters of all time are Drews.
Speaker 4: And like you know, just last week, just a few weeks ago, we lost the Italian poster artists. Yeah, who did all the posters for when the play in Hollywood. Uh yeah, but yeah, it's rough, Like you know, I I know he had been he had been sick for a while there, but still it's it's all major lungs. But yeah, Diane Keaton though, that was really shocking to me. Actually, you know, I think I just didn't expect it, so that would caught me off guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pneumonia too, they just announced that today. It's crazy. How quick that Yeah?
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: All right, we go from drews Hreusen to Thriller A Cruel Picture but December first four K in the UK from screen Bound, this keeps happening that they are putting out Vinegar Syndrome titles essentially on the same disc, but over in the UK, all of this is likely going to be nearly identical to the Vinegar Syndrome release. You got a sticker sheet and a poster if you want it, and for anybody in the UK this will likely be cheaper if you did not get the Vinegar Syndrome one. Yet, that being said, I would still trust the Vinegar Syndrome disc over this one. It's probably got better, better encoding and stuff. But yeah, Thriller A cruel Picture. Next up, this year's Anemonee is coming on four K. I think, and I only say I think because of the way that they designed the cover for this I really kind of do wish that they'd stop printing the words four K ultrade HD. When the case says it says it as well, but this one says Blu ray and Digital code at the top instead of four K and Blu ray and Digital code. This one is able to pre order now over on Groove And for those that maybe recognize the title, this is the film that brought out the uh semi hiatus retired mister Daniel day Lewis. Both men on the screen gave a wonderful performance in this film. I know that I'm gonna pissed off Silent Manial a little bit. I didn't love this movie. I feel like they did you get see this one? I did?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree. I think the two of them are terrific. I wish I wish day Lewis is phenomenal. H I wish Johnny's good. Wish he had more more to do in the film. I feel like they he sees a lot of the big moments.
Speaker 3: To day Lewis. I think it should be more of the more of a two hand or I think and yeah, I think it's interesting.
Speaker 4: He has elements like okay, it's it's it's it's got something to say, but just doesn't come together satisfying, And I think it's It's fascinating to me because day lewis uh some of his most famous roles in the Name of the Father and the Boxer about Northern Ireland, where he plays Irish and irishman trapped in Northern Ireland in that conflict in the troubles, and now we have, oh for all these ears, the reverse of that, now he's playing a former British soldier. That was just very fun to see him, Like, of all things to come back and do after ten years, this is the project that he brings. He comes back with em he co wrote with his son, So that was fascinated as like a bit of his own like metatextual quality of his career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like he's good in it.
Speaker 4: I'm happy he's acting in it, but I just wish there was more meat in the bone or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree with that fully. That being said, I will say I really have high hopes for Ronan da Lewis to direct more. It was shot beautifully, Yeah it was. There's a couple of scenes in this specifically, like the storm scene is so well done in Kinetic, And yeah, I would like to see this one again on four K at home in a dark room. But yeah, it's a good movie. Check it out. It's just not a great movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next, I am so surprised this is getting a release in credible December. Second Universal is releasing Scott Pilgrim takes off the complete limited series. This was a Netflix limited series. You can preorder this now. Quite inexpensive too for what it is for it being a Netflix title. Expected more. This is kind of a big deal for a lot of people that were fans of the film because it got pretty much the entire original cast to come back, and even edgar Wright is involved. Like there, you could not ask for a better version of an animated show for such a beloved fan base. You clearly love it. Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love this show and it's phenomenal and it's so funny meause I have a friend who like, I like Connor, but I wish they had just done the graphic novel.
Speaker 3: And I understand that argument.
Speaker 4: Like because if you've seen the show, you know it takes a lot of changes and kind of rewrites the story. But I think what it does with that, I think the changes it makes, that the alternative reality it creates is so clever and so unique. It makes it makes me think about it in some different ways, brings up new you know, makes characters I thought were one way, completely throws them on her head and shows a different side to them, I thought. And I love the animation by by Science Sorrow. It's it's just beautifully made. Love the cast going back for this, and yeah, I was just so shocked to see it getting in a Blue Ray.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm thrilled by that.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. Uh. Next up in Australia, we got a couple of four K announcements. These are both coming on four K steel book from Imprint, and this first one is a beast Master from nineteen eighty two, the same film that was put up by Vinegar Syndrome a handful of years ago. This has the I believe, pretty much everything that was on the Vinegar Syndrome. We've got special VFX cut on a Blu ray as well, So it's a big three disc release, tons of extras on here. If you love the film, this is gonna be a great way to get it. It is a steel book from Imprint, which means it's pricey. But it's not like the Last Seduction pricey or Halloween pricey. It's it's medium pricey.
Speaker 4: There's pricey, and it's almost pricey.
Speaker 3: You're lucky, your friend is almost pricey.
Speaker 2: And if beast Master is not enough for you, one that a lot of people lumped together. We also have The Sword and the Sorcerer. This one was released here in the States by Scream Factory. Another Albert Pune like you're talking about. We've got a two disc release here again, four K steel book. Both of these coming on January seventh of twenty twenty six. And yeah, looks like fun releases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a fun.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm just praying for the day we get the Radioactive Dreams Blu ray. Someone out there, come on figure out the legal the some kind of like copyright or you know, contract, and that's why it's stuck on VHS. But hopefully one day I would love to see that film get like a fancy edition like this.
Speaker 2: I wish. Michael Smith in The comment is responding to the Warner Archive question from you know, twenty minutes score or whatever. He says that George has said in the past that they try to find out which shorts actually accompanied the films when they came out, and Uh, if they can't figure that out, they'll do something thematically, which that makes a lot of sense. I'm glad they do something instead of like Subner had said, which was literally drawing paper out of a hat.
Speaker 4: No, you can pretend you're back in the in the theater like how they would have shown it.
Speaker 3: Uh, and you can. You should have.
Speaker 4: Also, they should have you know, they should find the newsreel that went with it too, because I love talking to my grandpa about like, you know, yeah, Connor, I went, I was a kid, I'd go to the theater. There'd be a newsreel, then a cartoon, then at double feature, and you to be a cowboy film or an action movie. Yeah, Like I was, like, you want the full Yeah, you know, nineteen fifties forties experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is absolutely true. Next up, we got kind of an odd one to cover. So I do post some Kickstarter Indiegogo type campaigns. Sometimes this one is for a company that we all pretty much know and love, and it's from AGFA. But the interesting thing here is that it's very different from what many of us would be used to seeing in a Kickstarter campaign. So AGFA is raising money to restore the Blood trilogy from Herschel Gordon Lewis. This will be Blood Feast, two Thousand Maniacs and Color Me Blood Red in four K from the original Negatives, as well as the eighteen additional Lewis films, including Jimmy the Boy, Wonder, Blast Off Girls, that have only ever been released on VHS or DVD. They're partnering with Something Weird on this and they're going to release that on four K d and in theaters afterwards, while the additional films will be released on Blu Ray for the first time ever. They're looking to do like new color grading. They have to get a couple of new pieces of equipment and all that stuff. There's a list of all the films that it is. But what has been hard for a lot of people to swallow with this one is you can support the project, but there's no award to get the discs. So a lot of people are like, well, that's cool, but I don't want a digital file of the film your AGFA. I want to be able to buy the discs through this, and so I'm worried that they're not going to get to their campaign. I haven't looked. Maybe they've already done it, and I'm an idiot for saying that I'm worried about it. But I feel like if they would have offered I don't know, all three for like one hundred bucks, I feel like a lot more people would have been happy to lock down.
Speaker 4: I always think that's like the scene, isn't obvious that one of the rewards, you know, a small reward for digital copy and then a larger reward for a physical copy. That just seems obvious. But I don't know what. Maybe there's a reason.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I don't know. I need to look into this one more. Because I've not donated or anything like that. I have not not considered. But yeah, a lot of people kind of irritated in the comments, which in a way I kind of get it. Sure, speaking of being irritated, I bet a lot of people are irritated about this. In late November, Vinegar Syndrome is releasing The Keep on four k what is this. They've done that already. Yes, they're doing it again as part of a new imprint called VSR IN that stands for Vinegar Syndrome Retail. It is a retail focused initiative designed to provide indie retailers with exclusive re releases. Beginning with Michael Manns The Keep. This sold out so fast that a lot of people were not able to get a slip cover with it or the booklet. But now you can get both again almost a year after it's been sold out, and many people have bought standard editions. So yes, that is the part where people are gonna get frustrated. You can already pre order this at Orbit Diabolic, brother Belile, I think Odyssey Movies has it, lots and lots and lots of people. You can pre order this from online with art done from a front of the channel, mister Sam Smith, as I mentioned earlier for The Deaf Crocodile released coming out tomorrow. But uh, yeah, I can see why people would be upset about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that's that's you're right.
Speaker 4: It's the nature of these Some of these physical media releases are like sold as limited editions, so you get one chance and then you know, but if if it sells out, maybe they're like, I'm gonna make some more. But then we've aw these limititions. Well you know, we made more than you know, so I'm happy people can say check it out. This is a this is a strange film, Like I definitely I'm hoping for today we get the whatever the director's cut, or at least the unedited versions. Watching it several years ago like this feels like there's scenes missing for sure, that there's subplots missing.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping for one day.
Speaker 4: Maybe we get the the you know it's just a bootleg or something, just give me the actual full version, because it's like I made this list on letterbox. It was like early films by great directors that are in the sci fi horror genre that they've just owned, but they're still pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: We've got the Keep for Michael Man, we got David.
Speaker 4: Lynch's Dune, Fincher's Alien three, and I'm those three right now. Maybe there's more, but those are all like all of them, so like, ah, yeah, it was a total mess. I hated working on it and it cuts so much, like but yeah, but there's still cool stuff in it.
Speaker 3: I still like these movies, but yes, I would.
Speaker 4: I would have loved to have seen their unfiltered versions. But yeah, but hey, man, I'm a big fan of the Lynch's Dune despite all the problems it has.
Speaker 3: But you know, these films.
Speaker 4: Are fun on They're interesting, you know, and they're part of a filmography that you might love, may love, so you should check it out.
Speaker 2: I would love for somebody to unearth it. So I know Michael Manas said that the material doesn't exist anymore, but man, that was not a pun on this name. But man, man, it would be wonderful if if somebody could ever do that. But yeah, I'm not crossing my fingers for that one. Next keto over December. Second Blu ray Coming of Hannah Kay. This is from nineteen eighty three. It was starring Gabriel Byrne Jill Clayburgh. And this has a new audio commentary by Elaine Silver and James Ersini. There's a new interview with the actor David Clennon. It's almost twenty minutes long. I know nothing about this other than here.
Speaker 4: I've seen this because I have the VHS nice.
Speaker 3: And I would I picked this up.
Speaker 4: I don't know a year ago or something, and like, oh, I should watch this and then lo and behold, I see, Oh wow, it's finally coming to It's never been on this before. I believe he's not in the US. Uh, So I I checked it out. It's very interesting. It's considered the first America or Western film to address the Palasini Israeli conflict and be sympathetic towards the Palasinian character. The mains as a character in the film, uh played by.
Speaker 3: Where's his name?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna sure get his name right. He's a Palastinian actor. Who is is he's still working today.
Speaker 2: He's Mohammed Bakri, Maha Bakri.
Speaker 4: How he has become kind of one of the most prominent Palacin actors now. He is children and all actors too. And he plays this man who is arrested for crossing the border uh illegally because his home falls under Israeli land jurisdiction now. And she is his lawyer, who is who is the fending his right to return home to his his family ancestral home. So that's really interesting and he's very good in the film. Unfortunately, I feel like it's it takes a lot of like there's a detour.
Speaker 3: Now it's a that's half part of the film. There.
Speaker 4: Half the film is she's like, she has a husband in France, but she's having an affair with her with a with Uhl, a soldier in Israel, and she has a kid. But so there's a lot of like personal stuff that I feel like detracts from that. What's really interesting to me about the story the actual political story. So it's a bit of an unwieldy film, I feel, but it's still a fascinating piece of history, the fact that it is the sort of landmark film in depictions of Palestine.
Speaker 3: So I'm really happy it's it's going to be available. Uh, at least people.
Speaker 4: Can talk about it, uh and check it out for themselves, because you know, it's it's it's you know, it's worth checking out. I seen a film in these the times we're living in right now, looking back to the eighties, and how sadly things have been violent for a long time.
Speaker 3: It's been very situation for a long time.
Speaker 4: So I'm happy to see a positive, palasating character in a film get some discs.
Speaker 2: I think saying it's been a long time is quite underselling how long the content has been happening exactly Next on December ninth, Kino is releasing the anthology horror film Dead of Night from nineteen forty five. I talked about this one fairly recently saw that Connor have his moment, but as far as I can tell, no new extras on list. It does carry over the commentary from Tim Lucas, have you seen Dead of Nights? Sir? I have not. Sorry, interesting, I definitely recommend it if you like horror. Anhalis, I love this is the brand daddy.
Speaker 4: I love the idea that it's like multiple directors. That's very cool. Yeah, that's really interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is pretty damn good. It definitely did a lot to set the tone for anthologies. Here's a big one. Next year, Keino is releasing a four K of Norman jewis Sen's Jesus Christ Superstar. Have you seen this one, Connor?
Speaker 3: I haven't. I was. I was talking to my mom. She said he's a big fan of the musical, so I feel I should check this out. I know some of this. I know the main song Jesus Christ. Yeah, superst I know, but I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: No, it is absolutely worth the watch. Definitely definitely worth your time. This year's Lurker. Did you get to see Lurker?
Speaker 3: No, I've heard good things, Yeah, but I missed this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This one is from this year, coming on November twenty fifth on Blu Ray from movie Here in the US. From what I can tell, no extras that I can find on this one. This is a good movie. This is definitely one that they are entering into, like the stalker fandom, sort of relationship dichotomy type of genre that has been being built over the last few years. I enjoyed this one in the theater and I walked out, not that I hated it, but it was like, oh, that was a nice, like three three and a half star film, And then it just didn't leave my mind for like a week, and I went, oh wait, did I love that movie? Okay, yeah, it's quite good. The two main performances in this are incredible, very vulnerable, really well done, really really happy with it. Cool, big for this crowd. Gabby's Dollhouse is getting a Blu Ray release on November twenty fifth from Universal. No joke. I've heard this is actually pretty good. I likely will not see it, but hey, Kristin Wig is funny.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Chris Woins, right, I'm glad she's just doing stuff.
Speaker 4: You're a scene. What's the film she made. It's a comedy where she gets her own talk show. Oh god, what is that film?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Welcome to Me. Welcome to Me. That's a that's a fun movie. That's a wild movie.
Speaker 4: She plays this woman who inherits a lot of money and like it's her own talk show where she interviews people in her life.
Speaker 3: That's a wild film. But a very good performance from her.
Speaker 2: She's always always funny. I mean even in small parts, like in adventure Land. She's a great. Adventure Land is amazing.
Speaker 4: Barbin Star's so good, so good in that that's not a fun movie.
Speaker 2: Next up is The Big Blue coming to four K Steel book over in the UK from Studio Canal on December first. This is the brand new four K restoration that has been going around. You've got a few different discs in this one. You've got the extended cut and the theatrical cut on four K and Blu ray. It also has a making of documentary and I've I've not seen this one, but it is one of the Luc Passan films that's in that upcoming collection that was announced as well. Cool. Yeah, this looks like a good steal book too. Speaking of steel books, next one is a jar Head coming to four K steel book and standard release. The is coming in the UK on December ninth, in the US on December tenth. This one has a bunch of archival extras. Uh, no interviews or anything that's brand new from what I can tell, but uh, four K should look good because the blu raye in this did not look very good. So I'm hoping this is a nice big update. Is a good movie. It's a semi hard movie to watch. Uh, did you ever see jar Head?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: It's about Is it about the the Desert Storm? Or is it about which? Which war?
Speaker 2: Is it? I think it is? Yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: But I was like, what the what is the defining film about, like like the nineties Desert Storm conflict. I guess, well, I guess three Kings really is the Yeah film, probably, but look, you know, and it was like, is there a fining film about the Iraq War of the two thousands? I don't know, Yeah, uh, you know, is there a is there a platoon up for that that war.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but yeah, I never seen it.
Speaker 2: Good movie. I kind of like Jake just said, I don't think i've seen this since theaters, so it's been a long time on this one. That was also not to make it super personal, but it was also a really weird time for me to see this in theaters because I was eighteen when this came out and I had multiple friends being shipped out to Afghanistan. So watching this movie was like, oh, this is not a good time for me to try to be worrying about people.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Next, it is time for the Arrow Harvest season sale. This is happening right now, going on till November three. As usual, the UK sales prices are at least a little bit better than the US prices, so if you are region free, I would check that out. But also remember there's some Arrow stuff that if you're not region free, it's actually a region free disc, so you don't need to worry about that, and you could get from the UK side if I remember right. The math is that if you get like four titles, at least the free not not free shipping, but the shipping becomes where it's worth it and stuff is actually cheaper than buying from the US site. So if you're planning on spending more than we'll say, four titles, I think it makes sense to at least check it out. I gotta be honest, I've not been doing a lot of Arrows buying as far as sales titles recently. But what about you, Colton? You check it or not? Colton? I was reading Colton and the Chat. I was still living at Colton's comment where he said Jarheads a movie I watched only for Jake Jillen.
Speaker 4: But hey, you know, we all have our personal choices. I don't know, Yeah, Arrow, I don't remember the last time about Arrow.
Speaker 3: I picked up. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Recently, I picked up The Arrows, a Blu Ray edition of a Legend of the That's legend that that's an old lease, but I just picked ups.
Speaker 3: I love that film. Underrated with the Scott movie.
Speaker 2: It is literally one of the best depictions of the devil in any film.
Speaker 3: Tim perry Man Legend every Time.
Speaker 2: Next The America is the complete limited series from this year, is getting a four K and Blu ray release here in the States from Universal. I love the cover image that this they're watching you. Truly, I've heard this is incredible. I have not even seen a scene from it, but supposedly this is one of the first times that like for true nature documentary filmmaking, they're using like proper drones and robotic filmmakings. They've been able to capture things that they couldn't before.
Speaker 3: That's great. That's funny story.
Speaker 4: I was in Norway a few years ago with family and we were at like we were meeting some like it was like up in northern northern Norway, and we met a reindeer herder and they said, you know, you know, what's it called. You know, we used to use like you know, you know dogs are herding dogs. But now we found a great solution. We had drone and we have it a little audio speaker that plays the herding dog sounds. We can get drone and just flide around and like bark, bark, bark, bark, and then and then the reindeer moves, so like it's we're using modern technology to hurd the reindeer.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, that's a very clever drone.
Speaker 2: This as bark is one of the funniest.
Speaker 3: Walking in the woods, Like what's that? Oh, it's a drone a.
Speaker 2: You hear wolf amongst static for some reason. Amazing. All right. Next up, a new boutique label, as far as I can tell, has risen from the Obscurity over in the UK. Uh and these are both releasing this month on Blu Ray. We are getting Laid to Rest, the Chrome's Slasher from two thousand and nine. This is kind of a big deal because this film has never been released on Blu Ray in the US or the UK, I believe, I think, only the sequels on Blu Ray. So if you are into modern slashers, this might be the one for you. If you buy from them, you get four postcards, you get a slipcover, and then a reversible sleeve for extras. It's a bunch of archival extras. But they also I'm kind of curious to see what this is. They have a torture porn FEATURETTE. I wonder how they spent their time doing that. But also if you want, you can double it up and get the sequel coming out of the exact same time Laid to Rest two Chrome Skull comes out. Yeah. I've never even seen these. Have you seen these?
Speaker 3: I never heard of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very very curious about this one because, like Jake, I've heard of it a few times. I think there's a German blu ray of both of them, but that was the only way that you could get it for the longest time, so now it's nice that people will be able to get it. Unfortunately, if you live in the US, you cannot buy these directly from their site, so I'm just hoping that once they get released, you'll find him on Orbit or Diabolic or Brother Belile or somebody.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Next up is Scars of Dracula. We talked about this last week, I believe, coming from Studio Canal over in the UK, but this is the US version, coming from Keno on December ninth. This has a new audio commentary by Tim Lucas which is going to be exclusive to this one and not on the Studio Canal released, so lots of Tim Lucas fans might be double dipping on this one. Have you seen Scars of Dracula.
Speaker 4: No, I've only seen the first Christopher Lee Dracula film, so I know he made so many Dracula films, but I'm in the first one, so I'm curious how because I was struck in the first one that he was relatively young. I think he was like in his thirties me that, and he just seemed almost too young that like I imortal, but its too young, almost like a scene where he had jump on a table, It's like he's too agile. Dracula shouldn't be that adgile and jumping on tables.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Uh, it's it's a right film.
Speaker 4: But I am a pretty big fan of the Lagosi Dracula film.
Speaker 3: That's my at the heart of it, that's my Dracula. But uh, yeah, but I love that he made so many Draga films, so many. What is this?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 3: Number five? Is number twelve? What is this? I don't even know.
Speaker 2: If I remember. I think it is five or sack six or seven, something like that. Yeah, it's it's certainly late in the Do you call it a franchise?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, you're right, Like are they even meant to be the same Dracula or are they all just like a Dracula a different non connecting films?
Speaker 3: I don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a good question, all right. Next up is The Blues Brothers. This is getting a new anniversary steel book release. This is from nineteen eighty, so looking at forty five years of the Blues Brothers. This year, December ninth, this comes out, and the only thing that's new here is there is a new featurette called at Amission from God, the story of the Blues Brothers, going behind the scenes on the chaos, comedy and car crashes with new interviews and never before told stories from the cast and crew.
Speaker 3: That's cool. I haven't seen this in years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a fun movie down with the Illinois Nazis Boo Nazis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a long time for me as well. I certainly would not mind seeing again. But I already got the old four K. I don't need it just for a new bonus feature, sadly, Yeah, I get it, Like, yeah, all right. Next up is Lionsgate Limited. We've kind of been counting down the days for this. I do like that on their site they post when the next one coming out is going to be, so you know, like, hey, I don't need to come back to the site if I'm not buying anything until this date. But we've only got details on the Descent. This is the one that people been waiting on for a little bit. This is coming out fairly quickly too, November eleventh on four K steel book, and I really like the way that they designed the steel book on this looks nice. There's probably gonna be some depossing going on if you get this. The lions Gate Limited extras that they have will be the poetic pain, the film score and what lies beneath re exploring the Descent, plus a whole bunch of archival extras. This does have both versions of the film, so you don't need to worry about if it's getting the American ending or the UK ending. It's got both. Don't worry. Of course. Now with this being announced, a lot of people are asking if anybody else is going to put this out and speculating that it might be Second Sight, which wouldn't surprise me. They've already done stuff that le liones Gate Limited is done. But tell me, sir, have you seen The Descent any thoughts?
Speaker 3: They haven't.
Speaker 4: It's a big blind spot for me. A man, I've heard about it for years. Definitely need to check it out sometime.
Speaker 2: It is a wonderful film. It is quite terrifying and it's one I am. I'll see what the chat says because I understand that this is very scary, but this is one of the ones I'm considering showing my kids this month because even though it's very scary, like there's hardly any like, there's no nudity, there's nothing really sexual other than like there was an implied affair between a couple of people. But it's not even like implied on screen. They talk about it very little profanity. It's just terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard good things.
Speaker 2: Definitely, I am down to traumatize my kids this month.
Speaker 3: Problem.
Speaker 2: So here it is. We mentioned it earlier. American Psycho coming to a limited edition VHS from Lionsgate Limited. This releases on December ninth, and as far as I know, this was sold out earlier today. Unless they put up more copies of this, this was up there for thirty bucks thirty bucks and it sold out Connor in twenty twenty five. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm happy people are buying it, you know, happy. Yeah, people are embracing hopefully. No, I'm only I'm looking like, are they going to sell a VCR to go with it? Like a lot of people, I feel like a lot of people don't have VCRs.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 4: So people who buy this, hopefully they buy a VCR too, and then they'll buy other VHS tapes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is the only thing that hurts with this, I think is like, sure, vinyl was pretty popular still, but we're still selling turntables, and we're still making turntables. If we were making and selling VCRs actively and I didn't have to buy them at a thrift store, I'd be a lot more supportive.
Speaker 4: I wonder if someone will take up that job and start making like I don't know, like even if they're really you know, just consumer friendly, low you know, even low quality was like make some VCR make new VCRs. I don't know if I don't know what the you know, the parameters that are, but I think there could be a market there. If this keeps happening with boutique vhs from major distributors, maybe someone can start making VCRs again.
Speaker 2: It It would be a good sign if people wanted to go down that route. Hardware is normally where like the confidence comes and that's you know everybody starts talking about, is physical media going away. They're still making four K players. If the last manufacturer shuts down, then I'll start to get pretty worried. Yeah, but if you don't want it on VHS, don't worry. They are releasing American Psycho on a four K not steel book, but in this collector's edition presentation. Here, they've got a CD jewel case that is here to playoff of the Huey Lewis music in the film. We've got a twenty fifth anniversary four K premium collector's edition within the outer box featuring the iconic Christian Bale image. And then we've got some new extras in here, savage satire, American Psycho at twenty five, a world of perfect surfaces, visual aesthetic and amuse bousch main title, and then Q and A with a co writer and director Mary Herron, plus all kinds of archival extras. I've already got the old four K, so again, I have no reason for this. However, if you just never have upgraded, this is a pretty neat package. If you like the movie.
Speaker 3: I do like the cover. That's quite nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, good movie like it? See it next up Walking Tall from two thousand and four getting a four K release from Keto On December ninth. We got a new audio commentary by Brandon Strusnig. We've got a couple of archival commentaries that are on here, and then all kinds of archival extras on a blu ray. Have you seen Walking Tall? I have not.
Speaker 4: This is I'll say I'm a big Okay, all right, I get it, def carct I get it. You know, VHS, let me have my VHS. Don't need to criticize you, man. I'm a big defender of a scorpion king. When it comes to young young Dwayne Johnson, I'm a big fan of that movie.
Speaker 3: That's a good.
Speaker 2: Tongue, PlayStation one graphics cutscenes, Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, come on him and Michael Hart duncan you know, kicking ass and like you know, fantastical Egypt or whoever it is, you know, good fun times. But yeah, Wyn Johnson, yeah, I haven't seen this one, you know. And I haven't seen a Smashing Machine either. His new film, which.
Speaker 3: I've heard is okay, I have heard good to mix things. I don't know, maybe I'll see it.
Speaker 2: I will support the word mixed in that one, because okay, there we go. I'm I'm on the other end of that spectrum for sure. Another one from Keno two thousand and six is Natcho Lebre, getting a four K release on December ninth. This is the Jack Black starring film from Jared Hess, who has done of course, Napoleon Dynamite and this year's amazing the Minecraft movie. We've got all kinds of archival extras on this one as well, plus a new interview with the actress Anna de la Riguera. I love this movie. He showed this movie to my kids a few months ago. They loved this movie. I will absolutely be upgrading this to four K. I think, I think this is one of the best, like under the radar ish and like certainly not mainstream comedies over the last twenty years. And yeah, it's a favorite.
Speaker 3: I've never seen them.
Speaker 4: Actually, I'm a big I'm a big Jack Black fan, so I really should check it out. I was just at a theater here in La the freeda Cinema down in San Ana, and they did like a screening of it recently and it was huge. Of over one hundred people showed up for it. So like there's fans. It's not a Hulp fandom, So yeah, I can see why it's getty of four K.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a wonderful movie. It is really well done. Please check out Nacho Lee Bra if you haven't seen it. Rarero Video through Keno is putting out Young, Violent, Dangerous from nineteen seventy six. This is written by Fernando de Lao. It's got an audio commentary by the guys from the Wild Wild Podcast Adrian Smith and Rod Barnett, plus an archival documentary if I remember right, I think this was included in one of their box sets, or maybe they'd put it out on DVD, but I think this is an upgrade from them. I have not seen this one. Cool cover though, Yeah, yeah, I love the old Italian style arth that they go sometimes back down Under in Australia, we are getting December tenth, a four k of aon Flux or Eon Flux or however we're pronouncing that non letter these days. No new extras from this as far as I can tell, but it is coming in a lenticular hard case with some art cards. And then on that same day they are also putting out the Perfectly paired with that film John Carpenter's Vampires from nineteen ninety eight. Same thing, lenticular hardcase and some art cards. Have you seen either of those.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're both like disappointing films from otherwise good directors. You know, I love Carpenter and Karen Gusama made the what's it called The Invitation, That's terrific. So like a good director is just you know, big budget misfires. But you know, hey, if you're a super fan, you know, I'm sure you watch all of them.
Speaker 2: They let you do it, you can get away with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This year's film, The Roses, coming to Blu Ray on November twenty fifth from Searchlights. This is going to have a gag reel, a behind the door look at the epicenter of the film, which is their really nice house that they have. There's going to be some use with some cast and crew talking about stacking the cast with a bunch of wonderful faces in this. Lots of good stuff coming on the disc. I hate this poster art, but decent movie. I saw this this year and it's a it's alright, it's not amazing, but it's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it, but I saw that this post ar on billboards all over LA for like a month, so I've seen this post art.
Speaker 2: I imagine I think this is the trailer that I saw the most this year, and by the time this came out, I really wanted to strangle Benedict Cumberbatch. Look at that. Even Aaron is saying the same thing. Yeah, this trailer played so many times this year. Next up, one that I've heard is actually pretty good. I'm kind of eager to see this one December ninth in the US from Wellgo Beast of War that came out this year. This movie starts as a war film and then a plane gets shot down and it turns into a shark movie. And that just sounds like an amazing setup.
Speaker 3: That's that's it. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ok, you're right, combine I mean two different genres like that, because I saw The Shallows feriously, that was pretty good shark movie. Yeah, but Shallows, but what if what if she was a soldier?
Speaker 3: There we go? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, and this one is directed by the same guy that did Wormwood. I know a lot of people love that one, So yeah, this, I mean to me, seems quite promising. Cool, very eager to see that. Next up. Criterion criterions starting January twenty twenty sixth heavy like lots of titles. Another thing on top of all the titles we're about to talk about, House Party just got delayed to January for some reason. It was due out in November, but they just had to come out and change the release date on that one. It had been I think the end of November announced January twenty seventh. So now they're going to have like eight titles coming out in January, which is so much for Criterion. So let's go through these. January sixth, we've got Jim Jarmush's Dead Man coming to four K from nineteen ninety five. This one is a great movie starring Johnny Depp. Have you seen this one before?
Speaker 4: No, it's one I haven't seen. I love Olden Lover Left Alive, so definitely to see more.
Speaker 3: Jar Mush.
Speaker 2: It's a good movie. Good movie.
Speaker 4: I really the Dead Don't Die, which I think some people were kind of mixed on. I really enjoyed that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say this one is leagues better than The Dead Don't Die, for sure, but not that I hated The Dead Don't Die. But this is better all right. Next up from two thousand, four K released coming of what many have hailed the best film since two thousand and that's Edward Yang's yee. This is no new extras again, but in four K this movie is just going to be stupendous. I cannot wait to see this one in four K. Yeah, this is a must purchase for me.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: Then, the long awaited return of Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project comes on January twentieth. This is box number five in the series. Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of people complaining because of the number of films in this There's not a there's not a ton in the box set. But everything looks to be really great. Specifically, The Fall of Otrar is one that I've been wanting to see for a while. There's gonna be a three disc box set. You've got extras for everything. I'm just glad to see this series continuing. Any any thoughts on these Have you seen any of them or any of the other World Cinema Projects?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't, But I'm just I'm just thrilled that Scorsese does this. I'm just so happy that, you know. I love it when you know successful artists, you know, put their their influence and their money to good use, you know. Tarantino buy movie theaters, Scorsese cure, it's box sets of rare films. I'm happy to see. If you got the name power, do some good with it.
Speaker 2: They use their power for good and the world is a slightly better place now.
Speaker 4: Someone can just buy the Cinemama Dome here in Los Angeles and reopen it.
Speaker 3: That would really be appreciated.
Speaker 4: Come on, Taron, Chris fin Nolan, I don't know, someone Anderson, you got the money line around?
Speaker 2: Come on, anybody, but here is one that we've heard complaining about for so long that it's missing. And finally, January twentieth, a four K blu ray DVD and vhs I'm kidding not VHS of Captain Blood starring Errol Flynn from nineteen thirty five. This is again a very big deal. Pretty much, anytime an Errol Flynn film is announced, people say, great, but where's Captain.
Speaker 3: Blood, Billy, that's interesting?
Speaker 2: Wow, every single time. Now that being said, I am shocked how many people saw this announced and said, well, where is the Adventures of Robinhood on four K? I'm like us, just be happy, come on, well.
Speaker 3: Those are the two the best ones.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, yeah, obviously this has a new four k's digital restoration with the uncompressed mono soundtrack. We've got an audio commentary with Alan k Roady. We've got a documentary from two thousand and five on the making of the Lux Radio Theater adaptation of the film. There is a new essay by far and Smith name and that is it. So yeah, I do wish there were some more extras on this. However, just to see this film in HD and delivered with this beautiful cover, and I mean four K on Captain Blood, Like, how do you argue with that?
Speaker 3: No, it's true.
Speaker 4: I'm a big pirate guy. I've been a pirate fan my whole life. So this is definitely, you know, it's a top tier pirate movie, one of the all time greats, you know, up top five pirate films. Got we got Captain Blood, Cutthard Island, Mumpa, Tuder Island, till Yeah, those are definitely the three. Well, the first Pirates of the Caribbean that's a pretty great one. That first one's awesome, and.
Speaker 3: Then fifth one, um, that's tough. I got, I got, I got ones that I'm a fan of.
Speaker 2: But I mean not, I was gonna say you mentioned it earlier I was totally expecting Hook to.
Speaker 3: Be no hook.
Speaker 4: I guess we'll do hook. Well, that's like those are the those are the five like it's you know. Peter Pan in general was a great classic, uh pirate story.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest, when you first held up your hand, I was totally waiting for Okay, we got Captain Blood. I'll give it to Pirates of the Caribbean. But then Pirates of the Caribbean dead Man's Chest and I like it.
Speaker 4: I like two and three okay, but like the first one is perfect. Oh and then uh, Treasure Planet, love fer Planet, so good, terrific aptation, you know, and there are other there's so many graptations of Treasure Islands a great book, but Treasure Muppet Muppet version and Disney versions so good, great persons.
Speaker 2: I love him pet Treasure Island.
Speaker 3: The writer of the film was awesome.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, I totally forgot about that. January twentieth as part of the Criterion Collection presents or Criterion Premier's line that they're doing is Caught by the Tides from twenty twenty four. I had heard about this one for a bit. I need to see this. We've got as usual, just to meet the filmmaker, sort of interview on here and then some notes by film critic Carlos Aguilar. My friend, there you go. Look at that.
Speaker 3: I'm thrilled that he's writing the notes for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on a Criterion release. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He did the boklet for The Shape of Water that last year or was that earlier this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice, very nice. I don't know Criterion. That would be an intimidating company to do something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Next up is John Houston The Dead from nineteen eighty seven. Tell us about it, sir.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I screamed, I cheer when I saw this.
Speaker 4: Ah Dead, John Houston's final movie, anaptation of the James Joy story The Dead from his book. Dubliner's phenomenal movie.
Speaker 3: Just an all time great film. What a film to go out on.
Speaker 4: It's such a powerful story about life and death and accepting that we're all going to die, and regrets and celebration and family. It's a beautiful film, wonderful adaptation. I literally just was on a friend's podcast, the Skylight Books Bookstore podcast this summer talking about the film and the book and say, oh, I really hope we get a you.
Speaker 3: Know, this should come to Blu ray one day.
Speaker 4: And then a two months ago they announced the Australian Trilogy box set from the Imprint, which had his three three.
Speaker 3: Of his movies.
Speaker 4: I was like, ah, do I want that? There's a lot of money. Do I want to get it? But I waited and I'm so glad I waited because this was great Criterion love the cover, beautiful cover art, crazy and also includes this phenomenal documentary John John Houston The Double News, which is a documentary they filmed on the set. It was like, you know, they were there on on location and I've seen like it's on YouTube. It it was on VHS, so I've seen like vh's rip on YouTube. But uh, it's a terrific documentary, you know, great to see on set talking to the cast and Jelkie Houston and John Houston about the film as they were making it. But it's never been on DVD. So I'm thrilled that this because the Imprint edition doesn't include that.
Speaker 3: It's like, ah, I'm so glad I waited, and it's so cool. They also have like it's fascinated. It has like, uh.
Speaker 4: Parts of her uh from a Jelic Houston's memoir, like rather than a new interview.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like, uh, what is it? It's audio excerpts.
Speaker 4: That's funny because I did pick up her memoir and she does have a whole chapter about this, Like oh okay that it is a good chapter. So that's just funny, Like all right, Rob, then I guess she said everything she's to say about it. We'll just use the use the memoir enough she does talk.
Speaker 2: About So this this is coming on January twentieth on four K blu ray. It's a big deal. Lots of people very excited about this and really that that documentary specifically, the fact that they could get that is pretty big for Fancus and.
Speaker 4: I'm loving it because yeah, that's that's I'm always saddened when a new release has to drop the documentary you or if you be, I couldn't get license, couldn't get the rights to it, like oh no. But the fact that this is getty ant, thank god, thrilled.
Speaker 2: Well, that was already like six new announcements from Criterion and they're not even done yet. Even it's not even one more. But they've got like arguably the biggest title left, and that is two thousand and four's Birth Finally coming January twenty seventh on four K and blu ray from Criterion. This is the Jonathan Glazer and he directed Nicole Kidman starring We've got a four K disc of the film with Dolby Vision. We've got an interview with Glazer and Nicole Kidman on Charlie Rose from two thousand and four. New documentary on the making of the film with behind the scenes footage and interviews. A new program on the film cinematography. Yeah, lots of great stuff to make this amazing. That being said, I know that I mentioned him earlier and he made fun of me tooting my own horn. I will toot sibiners horn. Mister Daniel Sibiner is in Birth. He helped work on the film, and so mister Sibner is in the Criterion collection. Congratulations, Dan, that's awesome Birth. Have you seen Birth? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a while now, but this is terrific movie. And it's so fascinate because it got very mixed reviews when it came out. A lot pu old did not like it when it came out, so to see after all these years, twenty years later now is going in the Criterion Collection at the vindication you know, for all people who believe in this movie. Yeah, I think it's a trivick movie. Great performance from Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big six months for Nicole Kidman. I mean two major titles come to the Criterion Collection. You dump Keith Urban the they shortened your amc intro like everything is.
Speaker 3: Coming up Kidman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But and she's really one of our one of our great actresses and the victor. She's managed to keep being relevant and trying new things, you know, like Baby Girl last year, Like she's a really she's a daring actress who's still trying, you know, pushing herself the year after year.
Speaker 3: And but this is the looking back. This is one of our best performances.
Speaker 2: I still think, still very relevant, still great at what she does. I mean, no fault there. Yeah, good stuff and fine. Finally from Criterion we mentioned it earlier. Kiss of the Spider Woman from nineteen eighty five getting a four K and blu ray released from Criterion on January twenty seventh. This will be the best way to see the William Hurt and Raoul Julia starring a Kiss of the Spider Woman. Never seen it. I will likely purchase this because I love William Hurt and Raoul Julia. Yeah, I don't know how I've never seen this so cannot wait.
Speaker 3: No, definitely want to see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Terry is saying, someone give us BMX bandits for seriously, it's on the way. Umbrella has already said that they're working on a four K of BMX Bandits.
Speaker 4: And in the picture she's still a fan, like she wore the T shirt one time like that. She's like, yeah, I'm proud of that film.
Speaker 3: Good for you, Unicle.
Speaker 2: All these years later and she still loves it. On a Kiss of the Spider Woman, We've got an interview with Susan Angel Levine, the biographer of Kiss of the Spider Woman's author Manuel Puig. We've got Making of Kiss of the Spider Woman from two thousand and eight, eight feature length doc. We've got a short program on Puigue. We've got an essay by the Ruby Rich. So yeah, just very very curious to check this one out for sure. Yeah, all right, that is Criterion. Next, we get a Ghost in the Shell four K steal book coming over in the UK on December first. There's a couple options for you for characters. They've got like two different colors to choose from to make sure you're looking at those depending on which one you want. And uh, yeah, it looks like a fun release if you like Ghosts in the Shell traffic film.
Speaker 3: Excellent classic anime.
Speaker 2: I've heard it's amazing. I've still never had a chance to see it. And too oh, I didn't even know there was this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ghost the Shell two Innocence also really great.
Speaker 2: This next one. This is the first time that we have seen one of these in a long time. And I do kind of want to highlight this for a minute because I tend to shit on VCI a lot. Now. VCI has done a lot of rough things over the year, as far as half assing many of their discs, but I will say their Classic Mexican Cinema line is one of the best things they've ever done, and they've not released any on the line in a long time. So here we got. January twentieth, they're putting out The Body of Crime, also known as El Querpazzo del Delito. This is from nineteen seventy. There's no extras on this, but It is a comedy told in three episodes, and that alone seems interesting. Nobody else is going to be putting out a Mexican comedy from nineteen seventy. I will absolutely be buying this. I will absolutely be watching this if you are into checking out world cinema, and specifically world cinema comedies which don't get a lot of love because all the time comedy does not do well with the international audiences. But I will absolutely watch this.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, actually, right, not very cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, cannot wait. Next up, this year's Dead of Winter, coming to Blu Ray on December ninth from Vertical Entertainment. This is the Emma Thompson kind of survival crime horror thriller. I don't know how to explain this one. I liked this one. I didn't love it, but yeah, Metompson was great in it.
Speaker 4: I need to see it because I'm curious. How about her Minnesota accent?
Speaker 3: What do you think of it?
Speaker 2: It wasn't terrible. It was very clearly not her actual actress. However, it's a great Minnesota accent. Is pretty difficult to pull.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, It's very interesting.
Speaker 4: Like Belson back, they shot it like in Finland too, which is just yeah, find me a Minnesota film starring a British actress. It shot in Finland, like all right, okay, well all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I will say this gives rise to another wonderful Judy Greer performance, who is kind of quietly like one of the best actresses working. I was just stoked to see what she did with this. So yeah, check out Dead of Winter. And then another one that we've not heard from in a while, Cinema Gild putting out a blu ray on December sixteenth of Hank Sing Sue's In Our Day from twenty twenty three. I've only ever heard great things about this one, have not had a chance to see it because Honk Sanng Sue releases it seems like a movie every four days. Four Oh my god, this one is going to have a conversation with Ki Ju Bong and Keiju Young. There is a trailer on here in a booklet with an essay by mattis Pinero and reversible art. This is a Korean film and it's supposed to be great. Yeah, I have not seen it. Next celebrating one hundred year anniversary in the one hundredth anniversary edition, even though it's only coming out ninety nine years after it came out nineteen twenty six. Is bou Guest getting a Blu ray release on November twenty fifth from I think this is a new company called film Preserve. It seems like they're an offshoot of the Rialta Report and possibly working with somebody from Paramount. I tried to find some better information, but I cannot find anything that they're hosting online anywhere, so more hopefully to come from them. I also have no word on extras on this. I have a feeling there are some considering this was a kickstarter project, but yeah, bo Guest with Ronald Coleman tell me about it, Connor, I feel like you've got some experience with some people here.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it, but it did play at the Senecon Film Festival this year, the restoration, so this restoration, so I missed it, but yeah, definitely, I've heard it's very good, so I'm glad it's finally coming to disc.
Speaker 2: Excellent the Legend of Ochi from this year getting a four K release overseas. This only got a Blu ray here in the US from A twenty four but It's getting a four K Blu ray and DVD from Entertainment in Video in the UK on October twenty seventh. You can pre order this now and yeah, we'll see if that's a big improvement over the A twenty four Blue. I liked it.
Speaker 3: It was a fun movie.
Speaker 2: Nice. I've been dying to street. I heard the creature design is fun.
Speaker 3: Really great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the creatures are really impressed that they write that oach there is very cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a fun movie to you.
Speaker 4: That's very kind of like I don't know if it's not groundbreaking anyway, but some well done.
Speaker 3: Bondafoe always loves saying Won Dafoe.
Speaker 2: Always Another one from this year is Zeno xeno. I don't I've never heard anybody say this out loud. I always would say xenomorph, so I'm gonna say xeno. This is coming out November twenty fifth on Blu Ray from Blue Fox Entertainment. I've heard this was not bad. I've heard it wasn't ground same as Legend of OCHI. I guess, like not groundbreaking, but a fun take on this type of story. And yeah, I'd watch it.
Speaker 3: It's the tagline that reminds me of a Tarzan two words, one.
Speaker 2: Desk to me. I think we've gotten two singing moments from Connor Town. And our last announcement for the week is the Ice Storm from the Great Angley is getting a Blu ray release over in the UK on November twenty fourth. This is coming from Studio Canal. I am not seeing any extras for this one yet, but I think there's probably gonna be at least some archival ones on this. You can pre order it now. And yeah, I'm not seeing this one. It's supposed to be pretty good. Kevin Klein, Scorney Weaver, Christina Ricci. That's a hell of a cast.
Speaker 4: No, I never seen it, you're right, but yeah, it's a couple of angle if I that mess, you know. Obviously I have seen I love Crutch Tiger, Brooklyn Mountain, but yeah, I haven't seen a lot of his earlier work yet. Like I just saw what's it called, like the Wedding Banquet the remakes on that. I need traditional wedding Banquet.
Speaker 2: Now, same, definitely need to see it. That is it for announcements. Let's go into what is coming out next week. In case you forgot the big ones from Criterion next week. A History of Violence four K an Altered States four K. Now we good stress. These are a big deal, not only because they come out next Tuesday, but the Criterion Flash Sale will be happening next Tuesday as well on their website, so everything will be fifty percent off, including these brand new titles. So these four k's you can get at twenty five bucks. I believe these are both fifty dollars four ks. The A twenty four Eddington four K that was a site exclusive four K the Blu Rays released widely that is going to be out now. I think if you bought it from the site is probably shipped already. The Shout Factory No Spratu the Vampire four K is shipping now. The Place Beyond the Pines four K is one that I definitely need to get. The Clue four K steal book from Paramount is out there. Rampage four K from Keto another one I need to get. Trying to beef up my Freedkin collection. The ex Trilogy from A twenty four should be shipping here soon. Three and three Extremes from Arrow is out now. Pretty much. We've got the Shrouds from Criterion next week as well. Savage Is four K from Shout Factory, Furious Swords and Fantastic Warriors. The Chin Chay box set from Uh that was Eureka that put that out.
Speaker 3: Oh the a Bengelian movies very cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah are those are those the first release of that? Are those re released released? Yeah?
Speaker 4: They released by different company now G Kids I believe is re releasing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. We got the Radio Land Murders from Keno my my vote for worst cover art in a long time. Relay is coming out next week. I really enjoyed the movie, but man, these aren't These aren't even like properly photoshopped. I feel like it was done in like MS paint is pretty bad. Uh. The X coming out from Keno, Larber and UH Dark Force Entertainment together. The last screening is not shipping from Terror Vision next week, I promise you, even though showing up there. We've got Project Genesis four K next week, Shakespeare ship Storm four K.
Speaker 3: From My Family. Fun shows by Mike Hero Academia Big Fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The anime shows.
Speaker 2: Overlord season one, Overlord Season two, Other Lord season three, Tulsa Teyor Is another one from VCI is coming out next week we got some standard editions Marley mattinin the documentary from Keno solely main story from Keno as well, and that is about it. Any of those anime titles worth picking up for people that have not checked them out.
Speaker 4: The Evangelian films are going back to Scott pugm takes off the idea of like taking a story and then the new story reinvents it. Exhibition direction that come. I don't know their first one, but that Evagilant did the similar thing. The show was really great from the nineties, and then they made his movies ten fifteen years later, where the first movie starts like, oh, it's gonna be a straight remake of the show but a bigger budget.
Speaker 3: But then the second was like, we're going a whole different direction here.
Speaker 4: Now, you know, if I'm gonna remake the show as movies, I'm gonna takeet there's new things with it now. And that kind of divides on it's like, oh cool, new stories are like oh why didn't just stick to the story, but like, yeah, it's they're interesting there worth the work check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're.
Speaker 4: A Evangelian fans, because just it's just to see how the you know, the artist has he's he's grown over ten years, he has new interests.
Speaker 3: Now, all right, well that's not works.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, definitely couple here that I'm gonna check out Gary Hat asking the comments about the nos Faratu release from Shout. As it turns out, yes, can confirm the Shout Factory nos Fratu four K looks leagues better than the d n RT to All Hell release that came out from BFI. I absolutely fully endorse the Shout Factory nos Fratu. Check it out if you are into that film, which you absolutely should be because it's a masterpiece. Tonight, because it's October, we are talking about obscure horror recommendation, So things that are not usually brought up in lists like this or in uh, you know, I don't know, fancy TikTok recommendation video or top ten releases in nineteen eighty two or whatever. These are ones that tend to be overlooked, forgotten, smaller. Many of these have probably gotten physical media releases at some point or still available. Check them out if they are. But we're gonna be going back and forth sharing a handful of them. Connor's got a few extra that I don't so, Connor, why don't we do your first two? Sure? Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was definitely hard to you know, to narrow it down. So I was thinking, you know, what is obscure? How do you define obscure? You know, it's a tough thing to define. But first of all, Otto mentioned it's not a horror film per se. But my favorite, like halloween film, obscure allowing film is The Halloween Tree, the animated TV film in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Ray Bradbury aptation.
Speaker 4: Love that film, kind of my personal favorite, like Halloween Watch you know that and Something Something Wicked. This becomes just too great Bradburry aptations. They're really scary per se, but there's really autumnal and spooky and halloweeny.
Speaker 2: So definitely Something Wicked is getting a bunch of attention lately. I think it just showed up on streaming for.
Speaker 4: The first Yeah. Yeah, Disney Plus. They finally put it on Disney Plus. Like it was available, you could, you could, you could buy it from the iTunes, but they finally put on Disney Plus, which is always like, guys, you have Disney Plus, why did it take you six years toload it? Did you forget to click upload, Like what happened? Like, you own the movie, Disney, why was it taking you six years?
Speaker 3: Ridiculous?
Speaker 2: You you own the rights, Just press the button already.
Speaker 4: But like let me think, yeah, so here, so yeah, here's one like definitely in the same vein as like something becomes We've got Company Wolves a rate, you know, very fantastical dream like in the woods kind of film. Once again, I wouldn't knowly scary per se, but it's it's it's at wear wolves, it's got gore. There's an amazing scene we're like, well a werewolf transformation where the wolf literally comes out of his mouth. Incredible scene. So I adore this film. Neil Jordan, really great Irish filmmaker, one of his best films. And I'm so happy that there's this four K in blu ray from from Screen Factory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, incredible performance from Angela Lansbury in this. And if you've if you've somehow never seen The Company of Wolves, this is really great gateway horror. Like this is one that's also on my list for my kids right now because it's there's like nothing offensive about this whatsoever. It is perfectly benign.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so yeah, all right, there you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've only got five, so after this one, I'll let you do too.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I went and grabbed one because the last time I showed this was a few years ago on the show, and people had never seen this. I think this is yes, it's a German release from NSM Records. This is a movie that came out what years I think it's like two thousand and eight. You're gonna recognize a lot of the names associated with it, but many people have still not seen this. And I had to talk about this wonderful release of The Midnight Meat Train. This movie is so well done. It is a movie starring Bradley Cooper in a genuine horror movie about this weird thing that happens on a subway in New York after hours. There's a lot of blood, there's some creatures. This movie is great and not ever really discussed in the pantheon of like great creature films or even like great horror movies from the two thousands and beyond. I definitely think Bradley Cooper can act, and so he did very well in this. There's a couple other faces that you recognize. You'll probably recognize the director it's a hey kid mura. He's done a handful of other movies that you've definitely seen. I love The Midnight Me Train. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 4: No, I definitely, I definitely heard of it, but like, yeah, but you're right now. It feels almost like, oh, probably Cooper's in a horror film. It's one of those things, like right, it sadly one of those things like once you become famous, you don't do you don't go horrors, like a step down. It seems almost like I'm happy he made at least one horror film became before he became super famous, just like Johnny Depp as Nightmare.
Speaker 2: Great. You know, it seems like most people have at least one, and I always love Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's a smart an actor.
Speaker 4: You should do it a horror film because no matter what, horror fans will remember you for the rest of their ribs. They will always, So you should always do a horror film as an actor, because you never know.
Speaker 3: You need to sign autographs. Horror fans will want your autograph.
Speaker 2: Simner Is reminded me through that whole thing I did not say. But it is written by CLIVEE. Barker as well. Which is a really big sod point so.
Speaker 4: Not I don't know if it's obscure, but like Rawhead Rex, I'm a big fan of raw Head Rex. I think it's a fun movie. It's silly, perhaps, but it's enjoyable. All right, Here's I'll do two together, two films kind of about like questioning reality and what's real and what's not. Paper House and they look like people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at people. Really great. I saw this at h I saw that slam Dance.
Speaker 4: I was there. I think I was there or I saw it right afterwards. But really great film about this two friends and one of them starts thinking that that there there's there's forces at work. He's like a paran Is he paranoid? Is he actually depicting? He believes people are shape shifters? And like is he right? Is he crazy? Really kind of creepy, very low budget, well done indie film Happy It's on blue right now from Yellow Veil Pictures. Yeah, and then paper House. This is the first film from the director of Candyman Bernard Rose. Really terrific film based on Believes based book, but about a girl who starts she has been dreams about what she draws. She draws a house and then she has a dream of a house, and she she dreams of the boy in the window, and then she then she goes back to the dream and the boys there, and the boy says we're in danger, like why are we in danger? And starts to turn into the nightmare. Really phenomenal film, uh kind of. It's on DVD in the US, but this is the French DVD, which has like interviews and like and more special features. So I really think it needs an American Blu Ray release. It's really overdue because it's a phenomenal film. If you like Candy Man. It's not the same kind of like dream like horror to it, but just for children.
Speaker 2: I had heard of this at some point, I think, and I totally forgot it this existed. Uh yeah, I wanted to see this ages ago, and I don't remember this ever popping up on streaming or physical media really like widely popular or anything.
Speaker 4: It's also the German Blu Ray. It's out there, but I really think it's overdue. I would love to see Vinegar Syndrome or Savern. I think we'll do a great job.
Speaker 2: With it, I imagine, So I mean, yeah, yeah, maybe I gotta admit, over the last few years, with Severn's deep dive into folk horror, especially international folks, Yeah, I have fallen in love with folk corp time and time again. I feel like every few months I'm discovering a new favorite, and there's one that does not get a lot of attention because people don't typically go to Indian films. But I really wanted to bring up twenty eighteen's Toumbad. This movie is so underrated, so underseen. It is bloody, It is genuinely scary. It is like this creepy folk horror around a guy that's obsessed with gold and he there's a lot of like a message about exploiting the earth in this and it's a really interesting take on folk core and I hope people see it. This is one I don't have a lot of faith in it getting a US release. Unfortunately, a lot, especially modern Indian films, are really tough to put out because on one hand, like, yeah, the distributor might make some money, but it's crazy when you compare it to the fact that if they just re release the film themselves through like a theatrical run only in India, they'll make like five times the amount that they'll make compared to the physical media release in the States, And that alone is like, why do we even waste our time? We could just like do this one quick thing and make way more money. So it's it's rare that stuff like this is going to get a good release here, but toumbad it is. It is deserving way more than a lot of films. I feel like it definitely was able to pierce through ever so slightly, and the zeitgeist and those that have seen it really love it. It is a truly wonderfully made movie.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely, that's not very cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speaking of like Folkore, there's a great fulm my love called November from twenty seventeen. It's this black and white Estonian film. It's about sort of set you know, in the past in the woods, like a village during the plague, and it's about this the kind of the supernatural, how in how they all get involved in supernatural, Like there's you can sell your soul the devil at the Crossroads, and you can there are like these magical creatures called cross which are basically like human souls infused with like mechanical objects to like do your chores for you, and there's like a girl turns into a wolf. It's always got fantastical things involved, and it's beautifully shot black and white. Really a wonderful film. It's from a piloscope so you can get it on Blue RD, but I really wish that me. Honestly, I think it should be a Criterion collection. I think it's a phenomenal And really, if you love like Company Wolves, like, if you like you know, fantastical fairy tale horror film, really worth checking out.
Speaker 2: And I was just I'm not saying this one either.
Speaker 3: I've got to really great. And then I don't know is Alison's birthday? Is that folk horror? I don't know if it's folks.
Speaker 2: I don't know's it's folks.
Speaker 4: That's where I heard about it. Sorry, I did hear about it. Yeah, it's in the seven that one.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 3: I just watched that for the first time earlier this year. That's really terrific.
Speaker 4: You know, uh, small Australian horror film, but a girl and uh and her mysterious grandparents who are raising her for what purpose have they looking after and why do they really want to celebrate her birthday? And the boyfriend who starts slip wondering, I think your family is dangerous. You shouldn't trust them. Really good horror film, really creepy, great, incredible ending, what an ending?
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed that. Yeah, oh it is Novembers in the Severn Folk Corps A box two. Oh great.
Speaker 2: I think Eureka released it as well in excellent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, terrific. That's good to hear because it's yea, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Folk core. You're right, but you're right folk. Yeah, definitely' right it's folk core because.
Speaker 4: Like the whole like we reveal, like there's like the pagan ancestry to the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's cool. I like that a lot.
Speaker 2: My next one is one that I swear I hear nobody talking about anymore. But I feel like a lot of people, if they see it, would feel like this immense nostalgia for like early two thousand's horror comedy in a way. So picture this Texas chainsaw Masacer plus jeepers, creepers without a pedophile director plus Duel Good, and you get two thousand and threes. Monster Man. This is about two individuals driving this giant ass truck. It is funny, it is creepy. It is well made. It is kind of like similar to Tucker and Dale versus Evil in a few ways, because there's like some we we actually have no idea what's going on aspects to the film. Monster Man is quite silly, and I think that's one of the reasons why it gets overlooked. But watching it back now, it is so much more of what I appreciate because back, you know, before like we started to lose it in like two thousand or two thousand and one, but by about two thousand and four or five, everything was just we have to make everything for the cheapest amount possible, so we're not going like to any interesting looking locations. We're making this for as cheap as we can with like I don't know my grandma's backyard for the for the setting or something. But Monster Man looks good. It is fun. I think this got a Blu Ray release for Wicked Vision in Germany, and I feel like one on one Films may put it out at some point, but I've not verified that one. It is so good, it is definitely under scene. Highly recommend Monster Man. It is it is genuinely fun cool.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speaking of like like a really kind of low budget once one bedroom or one br you ever heard of this? I think I have a bootleg, but yeah, this one, this one's fun. A shout out, toot my own horn here. I'm on this one actually on the special features. Because I had a podcast called One Week Only with my friend Carlos. We did like we specialized in reviewing small indie films and international films. So I saw this at Beyond Fest here in La if you're back in twenty I think in twenty nineteen. And then I interviewed the filmmaker for my podcast audio and then they said, hey, we're doing the Blu ray. Can we put your audio interview on the blue rays? Like, oh sure will so, yeah, that's I'm on the blue ray here. Sound very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is not the one I was thinking of. But oh okay, well I I yeah. As soon as you said, I was like, no, way that this is the one.
Speaker 4: No, this is One's about a girl, a young woman who moved to Los Angeles and find an apartment one bedroom, and she starts to and it seems perfect.
Speaker 3: It's a lovely apartment building. Everyone's friendly.
Speaker 4: They do barbecues in the patio and then like, wait, maybe there's something wrong here. I don't I don't want to spoil them, but like, wait a second, everyone's a little too friendly.
Speaker 3: What's going on here? Very kind of very economical, you know this is all in one building.
Speaker 4: Uh, smart use of minimal resources, very cool, good ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So really just you know, looking for clever, low budget horror filmmaking. Definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 2: Well, it is in my Amazon I'm Kart and I will be watching you soon. That that's awesome that you're on the disc. That's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Another one going back to the international horror.
Speaker 4: I think it's good to point out in national horror films, Tiger's Not Afraid You love them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what's good.
Speaker 3: I feel like once again, I feel like people know about it. But if you haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: Tiger's Are Afraid Mexican horror film by Isa Lopez. She did the new season of True Detective, but this is where her breakout film about children trying to survive with like dealing with cartel violence and then take some supernatural twists and turns really good, really creepy, really excellent film. So if you haven't seen it, definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 2: Some of the best child performances. Yeah, last twenty years by from her Yeah yeah mine. This is probably like the least obscure one on my list, but I really wanted to bring out this one because I think it's getting forgot in the whole, Like two thousand and nine to twenty sixteen, when we had this giant glut of fan footage films that were either really awful or like, yeah, passable at best. I think that there is a lot to discover in the Last Exorcism. This is starring Patrick Fabian, and I think Ashley Bell is her name. This movie is about Patrick Fabian thinking that he is like essentially living a lie. He's going out performing exorcisms and knows that it's fake, and he's faking it for those that he is doing it for, and he is going out to do his last one and somebody's documenting it, and of course because it's his last one, it ends up being very real. The acting of this is stupendous. Ashley Bell is like contorting her body in ways that are far beyond the limits of what human should be able to. I will say this movie has a really awful last like forty seven seconds, but just as long as you forget that, the rest of the movie is really great.
Speaker 3: Forty seven seconds.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's true, it's true, but it's it's a it's a pretty good story. I really like like the skepticism nature of it, and the found footage actually really works for this. I think it's important to tell us because it's it's essentially a mockumentary that goes wrong and that lends itself in a smart way to the medium, and really it has the found footage kind of breathe new life of the idea.
Speaker 4: Though I think found footage, I think you are right, it's kind of overdone, but it can be really effective. I honestly think two of the scare it my favorite movie. Its scare me the most, honestly are Blair Witch Project and The First Paramotivity. Like most ones do terrify me because they really, you know, because they.
Speaker 3: Do convince you it it's real.
Speaker 4: They convince you that this feels legitimate, it feels like it could have been I'm one making this, and that's that's that's always a hard thing, like if it's if you're scared, why are you still filming?
Speaker 3: But like those films make it work or I'm so caught up. I don't mind.
Speaker 4: But yeah, because like I think about this with horror films, like like.
Speaker 3: I love the fantastical horror.
Speaker 4: I know they don't they don't scare me in the sense that like I'm looking around the corner, but like they scare me because I love the all of the horror and the and the effects. But then there are films like you know, like what's it called fall from you know a few years ago? That's terrifying because that's like legitimately you could fall off a tower and die, Like is that not scary to you? Like, yeah, that's scary in a very realistic sense. There's no no goblins, no monstrous it's just yeah, falling to your death. That's terrifying.
Speaker 2: And some vultures. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: So like you know, horror, it can be a you know, like what what is it scary?
Speaker 3: Because it actually makes you think, oh no, that can happen to me? Or is it scary? Like what if vampires it exist? That would be scary?
Speaker 4: Like And then you know, like here like two horror films that are kind of always like well, one's like comedy and one's kind of more just like kind of fun shlocky horror film.
Speaker 3: But they're both.
Speaker 4: But video stores, like you mentioned earlier, Video Store Day is this Saturday across the country. If you got a video store, guys, go check them out. Support your local video stores. So here's two video store horror films we've got. We've got Video Violence one and two. Hell yeah, and then we've got Beyond the Gates. It's very small.
Speaker 2: Gates is good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, So Video Violence to me, it's it's kind of iconic. It should be talked about more, but it's a iconic shot on video horror film. The best to yeah, one of the private probably one of the best. H Gary Cohen and and some actor friends. They made these like tiny lotw budget films back in the eighties.
Speaker 3: But it's about a key. It's a great story. I have a video store.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: It's set in the video store. So it's about a couple who own a video store and uh, someone returns unmarked movie and the movie is like of a tape of someone being murdered and who in the town did it? Who turned this tape in? And it's super low budget, you know, shot on video, but it's got a great you know, you know, can do spirit to it. It's got some fun commentary on eighties you know horror fandom, uh and and and and the whole idea was like he had parents who come in like, just does something have any violence in it? Not much for my kids, but no violence? Oh no, well yeah, is there any sex in the movie? I can't have anything sex? Well, yeah, no sex in the movie, but got tons of violence. Oh, violence is fine. It's almost no sex in the movie. It's like, it's so messed up. Your morality is so weird, so you want to make a film pointing that out. And then there were two almost do It's so much fun. Like it's also like goes even further into like a found footage movie.
Speaker 2: Almost.
Speaker 4: It's like a really good terrific I'm happy it's available now from Terror Vision. And then Yeah, Beyond the Gates, two brothers inherit their family's video store and find out that their dad's with it. Their dad's soul might be trapped in an evil VCR board game. Really fun, just kind of low budget for you know, low budget, but you know, does what it can. And Barbara Crampton as the evil host of the Big board game. She's fun and I love it because it was shot at this video store called Eddie Brandt's Saturday Matinee here in Los Angeles that's sadly closed during the pandemic. So for me, it's like, oh, look, I can relive that video store now through the movie.
Speaker 3: I can walk the shelves again, and I can still smell.
Speaker 4: It was a great, dusty, old video store with lots of VHS tapes, So I'm glad it was preserved on film in some way.
Speaker 2: I yeah, like, it's not like an amazing movie. It's clearly very low budget for modern movie, but for what they were trying to do, I feel like they were surprisingly successful for it. Not to mention I mean anything with Barbara Crampton, I'm gonna watch just, let's be honest.
Speaker 3: A great little small role from her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right. My last one that I wrote down is a by far the funniest one on my list. I really love this one with some weird like nostalgia glasses on it now, which is hilarious because it's not old. This is from like twenty nineteen or twenty twenty. I think this is a movie that I went and got foot surgery and I was laid up for a week and in just a rotten mood and put this movie on and it changed the tone of my entire week. And that is the movie Benny Loves You. This is a splatter horror comedy, essentially like child's play done to the extreme way. That is a doll coming to life. And I will pan the camera ever so slightly. This red creature at the top here is actually Benny. I could probably pull it down. He's hanging out under animal. He's always watching over the show. He is hilarious. He's got like a bunch of little catchphrases. I think the movie is completely underseen. It's got a blu ray release from Dread Pictures. They're the same ones that put out the original Terrifier at first and it is just hilarious, way bloodier than you're ready for for like something that sounds childish. Just massive amounts of like limbs and blood flying against windows. It is so over the top and ridiculous. It's a blast, super fun. It'll make you happy. Check it out. It's great.
Speaker 4: That's fun. Oh that's cool that it reminds me. That's a great bray More films. It's a fun horror calm called Hey, stop Stabbing Me, which is it's.
Speaker 3: From the writers.
Speaker 2: Yeah you see that. I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the writers of Song of a Hedgehog Movies and Violent Knight.
Speaker 3: But they're one of their earlier films.
Speaker 4: They made and wrote and directed about a guy who moves in with a serial killer.
Speaker 3: It's just it's such a funny, silly movie.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, to wrap it up, all right, I'm kind of just wrap other kind of things.
Speaker 3: Horror documentaries, I think I think that's the understanding.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, it's not a lot of them, but I mean, somebody's true crime is horror in some ways. So The Nightmare from Rodney Asher, uh, the director of Room two thirty seven. But this is a documentary about sleep paralysis and how people you know, see like sweet sleep browels demons in their sleep.
Speaker 3: And he had.
Speaker 4: So it's about injuring people and then kind of trying to film their nightmares and recreate them in real life.
Speaker 3: Very creepy.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: I host the screening of this because it turned ten years old here in La at the be Kind Video. We had Rodney there for a Q and A. Was fun to talk to him.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very creepy film.
Speaker 4: And there's a film called It's a film's called The Blackouts Experiment, The Blackout Experiments. It's a documentary about people who really love being scared. So there's a company you can sign up for where like you waive all rights to your safety and they will literally kidnap you and take you to a haunted house in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 3: And I would never do this, but there's people who want this right Like, you.
Speaker 4: Can tell them I'm scared of like I'm scared of of snakes, and they'll purposely make it all about snakes just to make it as scary as popular.
Speaker 3: Why would you want this?
Speaker 4: But it's a fascinating documentary, And uh, so that's a scary documentary. I think it's a interesting little you could say it's a sub class. And then finally, animation. I love animation, so, uh there's a film called Wicked City.
Speaker 3: It's by what's his name? His name is Yoshiaki kawa Jiri.
Speaker 4: He's the director of Ninja's Scroll and he also did a film Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, which is also really great. But Ninja, we could say one of his first films because it's his first film. It's a film about there's a there's the human world and the demon world, and it's about two cops from both sides of a human cop and a female demon who has team up to save both their worlds from like being destroyed by darkness. And it's got lots of great gnarly monsters and body horror.
Speaker 3: Because I feel like, I feel.
Speaker 4: Like anime these days there's a lot of like anime has a perception of these days of being like that about high schoolers and action like Naruto or One Piece, you know, fun action shows and or high schoolers like anime in the eighties and nineties to have like even go to the shell adults and horror and violence, Like there's a lot of there's still some of that today, but I think there was. There was definitely a different kind of anime being made back then. So if you like really dark, r rated anime, checkout Wicked City. And then finally, you know, once again not super underrated these days, but Perfect Blue.
Speaker 3: You talked about it last week and I was like, ah, no, I have to buy it again because I have.
Speaker 4: This is the the the UK Animal limited box set with the storyboards. It's the Blu ray, but it comes with the whole storyboards, So now, like, do I need to buy the four K now too? But Perfect Blue Sosia CON's first film, a terrifying thriller about a young singer, termed actress who is being stalked online and she's not sure who the stalker is. She's they're basically trying to take over their life. Really great thriller, horror about fame and.
Speaker 3: Identity. Really terrific film if you haven't seen.
Speaker 4: But all Social Cons are my favorite filmmakers, all four of his films, and Paranoia Agent his TV show.
Speaker 3: It's a phenomenal show.
Speaker 4: You know, sadly he was he died far too soon, but what he left behind is some of the best animation of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this movie and it's one of like less than five anime films I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Okay, all right, what have you seen? What have you seen?
Speaker 2: Literally like a couple of giblis and this okay and like TAM twenty ten Okay, yeah, not much else?
Speaker 3: Okay, did do you like? Do you like what you've seen?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: Do you like the gibbly you've seen?
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean it's Shipley like he is a masters.
Speaker 3: Seen a couple though, so what you've seen?
Speaker 2: Uh uh no, I've still not seen Totoro Hell's Moving Castle. And then uh what is the other? There's at least one more the way it's not okay, no, it's like not, it's not one of the big ones. It might be pawn Panyo.
Speaker 3: Okay about the Little Fish Girl, I think so okay.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, well you've got a Spirit of the Way, Prince Zaman okay, Grave of the Fireflies by the Great East South takahatah Man. Well, definitely, I think con is terrific, perfect blue. Then you've got Millennium Actress, which is like an actress looking back on her life and her career. Really beautiful, look at like twentieth century Japanese cinema. And you've got Toku Godfathers. Three homeless people find a baby and dumpster and they have to try and find his mother. Really on Christmas, gone Christmas Eve, really cool, fun Christmas movie.
Speaker 3: And then his last.
Speaker 4: Film, Paprika about a scientist and main machine where you can enter other people's dreams and of course someone steals it and starts train dreams and the nightmares. So cool, uh, what's his name? Mamoro Soda is a great anime director. He has a film called Summer Wars about a Basically, it's like what if an Ai got into Facebook and started messing with Facebook and like finding everyone log blocking bloud and just finding their you know, their house codes and turning off the water and messing with nuclear warheads. Like very very relevant film, maybe you know twenty years ago. Wolf's Children about a woman who gives birth to two children who can shape ship between wolves and humans and how they she has to raise them by herself because the husband died. Really beautiful film about motherhood and raising kids. A mind game by uh Misaki Yuasa. It's a crazy film, but three people will get swallowed by a whale and have to rethink their lives and if they want to escape or if they can escape. Oh man, and I love anime. So yeah, there's so many great anime out there.
Speaker 2: We found the spot for you at night? What hell?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, there's so much else there. Oh your name, that's a great one you should check out. Have you heard of your name?
Speaker 4: Okay, your name is a great one that went Everyone can enjoy that one time sort of a body swap. You know, high school fantasy romance really great.
Speaker 2: I need to just I'd love the marathon through a bunch of these. But the big thing is now instead of me getting withheld from I want to be able to share them all with the kids. I mean raised on Ghibili.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but Totoro pontio kiki.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I didn't really grow up with myself actually, like you know, I grew up with with you know, Disney films and Pixar films. I didn't discover Ghibli until maybe high school actually, so I came in late. I wish i'd grown up with Gibli Moore Base Now it's my favorite. My favorite film is my favorite filmmakers. But yeah, I think those are some of the best things.
Speaker 2: You kid, excellent. Yeah, this has been This has been a fun topic. I think the the obscure things, yeah, brings out so many, so many different sides because it's easy to you know, talk about which Halloween is the greatest, but to find stuff that is buried below the surface is not something we always go to. Many of these like Monster Man, I haven't I haven't even thought about in ages and that movie is so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I think, yeah, And I think that's.
Speaker 4: Why a lot of times when I'm looking for movies to watch, I'm looking for those like obscure cult films. I want to find a movie that like, show me, a movie that has devote fan base, and I want to because I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to. I want to join that fan But.
Speaker 4: Hopefully I love mood too, and I can be part of that fan base because yeah, like I keep meaning to watch the Halloween sequels.
Speaker 3: I love Halloween, but I've only seen Halloween one and Halloween three. I've never watched it. It was like I've always heard their other mixtures they're good, bad or whatever.
Speaker 4: Well, fine, I don't need to see those. Mind, now I'm watch I'm gonna check out some obscure stuff. I'm the those those hidden gems that excites me more usually. So, Yeah, I think looking for the like I just watched them Kenny and Company recently, which is not really a scary film, but it's a film about two team related Yeah, but it's set in October and they and they go trick or treating a Halloween and they bought friendship and growing up and it's a fun little movie.
Speaker 2: Where's Blu ray people.
Speaker 3: Come on, I know I had to.
Speaker 4: Watch it on YouTube because vhs rip because I'm hopefully one day that gets an actual proper release.
Speaker 2: So yeah, good movie. Good movie. On that note, and speaking of exciting things, Uh, what are you doing for video store? To you anywhere that you got plans for?
Speaker 3: Well, if anyone's here in LA I'll be at vidiots.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The videots is doing there there.
Speaker 4: They've got a whole bunch of doing a sale of like I got a whole bunch of vhs and Blu rays they have for sale in their lobby. And then they're going to show three video store movies. They're gonna show The Water, which is a phenomenal great film about queer black filmmakers and also set mostly in a video store.
Speaker 3: Then we've got Ghost World.
Speaker 4: Love that film and it has a great scene where they go to they go like a chain video store, complain about nothing to watch, and then they're gonna show Scream, which of course has what's his name Jamie Kennedy Jimmy Kennedy working in a video store and yelling at the customers for not knowing things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So three good choices for videos from movies, because obviously, if you have you seen Video Heaven, the documentary.
Speaker 2: I have not finished it yet. I was given I was given a screener. I saw like half of it, and then my screener expired, no doubt, so I need to be able to see it. But well, speaking of that too, I should say, and I don't even think I've said this to you yet, You're the one that got me hooked on the movie. I love movies. Ay, I saw you talk about it and immediately when I need to check this out, and I watched it and got enamored with it. That movie is so first off, so Canadian. I love it so freaking like wholesome and like relatable in the most autistic ways. I just I love that movie so much. Everybody needs to watch I love movies.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just a great story about this, you know. Yeah, and definitely extremely relatable story about being an awkward teenager.
Speaker 3: And and.
Speaker 4: You know, finding solace in movies. Yeah, and also but some very heartfelt moments about friendship, friendship breaking up and what are you gonna do after high school? Like it's a really well bought out, really well written movie. Great performances. Yeah, I'm just a huge fan of that film. I'm happy it's you know, it's out there. You can get it. It's on DVD, it's on streaming. But like I wish people would check it out because it's just a wonderful film.
Speaker 2: It's worth it. But yeah, since Connor's here, I will happily stress please go check out Video Story Day this weekend. Wherever you are, there's probably somewhere within I don't know. It might be a long drive. We'll say nine for something. Probably check out anywhere. I mean, if you're near Atlanta, go to Video Drome. If you're near Seattle, go to Scarecrow. If you are near any of the Vinegar Center archive stores, go it one of those. There is.
Speaker 4: Is Beyond Video in Baltimore, New York has not Film Noir Cinema Video and also the Animal Draft House. Locations around this country have video stores and their lobbies. Usually there's a bunch in La there's in Santa Fe, New Mexico, there's a video store, the video Library. There's some there there. There are fine oh and we love video. Down in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 2: There are out Saint Louis Static Tape Video and Muskegan, Michigan. Yeah, there are places everywhere. There's a Viper video in Tampa, all kinds of places.
Speaker 3: So they're out there. Yeah, and they need your support.
Speaker 2: They do, especially now more than ever. And that's the hard thing is. I know it's easy to say go support, but even literally just to go browse or tell people about it is the kind of thing that he keeps these places open. Twenty twenty five is not easy to survive in for many in the world. It's not just you that's struggling. We're all hurting right now. So you don't even need to pay anything. But if you can and you want something, sure pick it up. But just keep in mind it's like the library. Literally, going and renting books will get them funding because they'll see that it's being used. So if you're going in there, give them your patronage, bring a friend, tell people about it, and celebrate Video Story Day. All right, On that note to Connor, this has been fun. Thanks for having Connor.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. Man, this is awesome.
Speaker 2: You got a hell of a week. We got we got a VHS announcement to cover, we got Criterion. You did real well this week. So thank you.
Speaker 3: I got lucky, real lucky.
Speaker 2: Well again. Check out all of the I hate to say it like this, but like almost every issue of the Physical Media Advocate has something from Connor. So there. There's even been what two or three times we printed two different things I know. Uh yeah, the next issue we got a Synicon piece coming up. Yeah, it's gonna be a great time. Connor, thanks for all your contributions. You're amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and follow me guys on Instagram. I'm at VH VHS at VHS Spectacular. Uh you know, I'm posting all things about all things VHS, all things physical media, all things movie locations.
Speaker 3: I love going on.
Speaker 4: I was just in Pennsylvania went to the Monroeville Mall where they filmed on the Dead. But they say it sadly might be closed in the next year or two. So if you get chance, don't miss it. Go check out the Dead Mall.
Speaker 2: Yep, all the Connors links in the description below, including the Medium blog so you can follow everything. Thank you all for hanging out, and we'll see you next week for another big Halloween episode of Reconnected. We'll see you then. Have a good one, guys. Thank you for watching the disconnected on the way out. Make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 5: My name is Kevin Tudor, and I'm one of the three hosts of Almost Major Film Podcasts, dissecting many major indie studios in the films they release. Every week, Myself, Charlie Nash, and Brighton Doyle discuss overlooked, forgotten or bonafide classic indie films via studio specific mini series. We've previously covered numerous films from Artists and Entertainment, Lionsgate Films and New Line Cinema titles, including The Blair Witch Project, American Psycho, Dogville, But I'm a Cheerleader, Saw Recording for a Dream, and Ringmaster you know the Jerry Springer film. Anyways, we have a fun time every week and we hope you will join us. Subscribe to Almost Major wherever you get your podcasts now proudly a part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description,