Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at chumbuck Casino dot com. That's chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No prigs necessary, void over. I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: Judy was boring. Hello, Then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com. It's my little escape. Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby, Mama is bringing home the bacon who take it easy, Judy, jump the Chumba life. That's for everybody. So go to Chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump Chumpacasino dot com. Noprid just necessary boid, We're prohibited by long eighteen plus terms and conditioned to plicy let's details.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses that shop brighten your day lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No persons has every daoid over, every lost in terms conditions eating.
Speaker 1: Plus, it is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, a woo, a handclapper, a high fiver?
Speaker 3: I kind of like the high five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait, start having the most fun ever at Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Necesary by lost in your Regnitions eighting class.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 4: Good Evening. The gripping story of one of the most fascinating cold cases of the twentieth century was eight year old Anne Marie Burr, serial killer Ted Bundy's first victim. She disappeared from their Tacoma, Washington neighborhood early on a summer morning in nineteen sixty one. Her body was never found. There were no clues, no ransom demand, and no arrest. Was Bundy telling the truth when he told a hypothetical story about killing Anne and dumping her into a muddy pit. With new information about Ted Bundy's childhood, interviews with those who knew him best, and the memories of the Burr family, Ted and Anne, the mystery of a missing child and her neighbor Ted Bundy has been called an astonishing achievement by Greg Olson and fascinating by the late Great Ann Rule. Ted and Anne the mystery of a missing child in her neighborhood and her neighbor Ted Bundy with my special guests Rebecca Morris, journalist and author Rebecca Morris. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for a Greenness interview. Rebecca Morris.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks you, Dan. I always have a great time talking with you about books and about murderers.
Speaker 4: Yes, well that's the subject we have. Thank you very much. Yes, this is a fascinating book and I just interviewed you recently, so I've just discovered this book, and so the audience is in for something very very different from those people that know about Bundy. So let's talk about right away, Anne Marie Burr. And you opened the book with August thirtieth, nineteen sixty one in Tacoma, Washington, and you talk about the day before and there was supposed to be a rainstorm was forecast, and you talk about Anne Marie Burr, which was eight and a half years old and Greg, her brother was five, Her father was Dawn, and her mother was Beverly. So take us, as you do, back to August thirtieth, nineteen sixty one. What was the family doing, and tell us a little bit about their life in Tacoma, Washington, what that was like.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm always interested in, you know, what comes before a crime. So I had written about Bev Ber, the mother of Anne Marie Burr, for the Seattle Times in two thousand and seven, and rather in for this cold case in America, the disappearance of Anne Marie Ber, but it hadn't been written them out in many, many decades. So I didn't really set out to write a book about Ted Bundy, but it became a book about two families, the Burrs and the Bundyes. And on that day, which is just before Labor Day weekend in late August in nineteen sixty one, Beverly Burr was getting She had five children, and Anne Marie Burr at eight and a half was the oldest. So that was you know a lot of children under the age of nine. But she was getting the children ready for school and ironing a new breast address for Anne Marie. And you know the kids who were were playing. It was a very they were a very working class blue collar family, but in a nice little stone tutor uh very close to right right in Tacoma, but uh close to the University of Puget Sound, uh one of the private universities there. And Don berrh uh worked uh at uh at one of the military bases nearby. And uh bevber had gone to college, finished college, or more education than her husband had. She always wanted to be a writer. She wanted to be a journalist. And you know that was uh a great gift to me because she chronicled everything that happened in her life, including uh the you know, nearly forty years she lived knowing that her daughter was missing. So they were just kind of getting ready at the end of the summer. Two of the younger children wanted to spend one last night in their fort in the basement, so basically downstairs, and then Anne and her young sister Mary slept upstairs. The parents always slept on the main floor of the house in a back bedroom with their door open in case they needed to, you know, respond to the kids. And in the middle of the night, and you know, there was a storm at night on the thirtieth and we're kind of famous for rain out here. But it was, you know, a really kind of harsh late summer storm, and some of the power went off around their neighborhood, and and it was so windy and noisy that, you know, you couldn't hear something if somebody was coming into your home perhaps or crawling through a window. The dog had sort of barked off and on, but the dog had been barking off and on for a few days. And there's been some proud in the neighborhood and some peeping toms, so you know, the family was aware of that. But it was a rather ordinary day, which you know, is very poignant.
Speaker 4: You talk about that early in the morning, Beverly at five point fifteen am, and she discovers that Anne is missing. So right away she starts knocking on neighbors doors. What does she find other than the door, ajar, What does she immediately see? And then what does she immediately do in response?
Speaker 6: Well, they were kind of early risers, and she got up, as you said, five fifteen, went to check on the children and realized that Anne wasn't in her bed. She you know, looked throughout the house and looked in the basement where the other kids were, but she didn't see her. She saw that the front door of the living room front door, the latch was unlatched, and the door was open, and there was also a window that was pushed open over on uh one side of the living room. And when she stepped around outside, she found that a a s uh a steps toool uh of of some sort had been pulled over to the window, and uh it looked like somebody had had gone in through the window. Uh. There was some things underneath the window in the living room side, some little figurines that she collected. Nothing seemed to be disturbed. But but the front door was open, the window was open, and that was, you know, not the norm. She went knocking on neighbors doors and uh and nobody had had seen or heard anything. She went home and and they called the police right away. You know, she got her husband up and and they called the police, and that started the well, you know, the beginnings of this terrible, terrible ordeal. I mean, I've talked with a lot of parents whose children or loved ones are missing. But you know, she lived the next fifty years of her life not knowing what had happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you introduced a couple of characters that are in this story from the beginning and almost through to the end. A couple of detectives, very colorful guys, Detectives Adkovich and Detective Strand. And you say that these people are there on the scene very quickly. I suppose to a lot of stories where people say that someone's missing. This girl's eight years old. The police are there right away, there is a search. You also talk about the setup because they believe that if it's a kidnapping, that they're certainly going to be a ransom or of somebody asking for a ransom. And in response, what did the police do and set up at the BurrH home.
Speaker 6: Well, try, I'm trying to think of what exactly they they Uh, I they did expect a ransom, and the history of cases in Tacoma is that there would be a ransom, you know, just just uh, twenty years before this, there was the famous kidnapping of uh George Warehouser's son of the Warehouser, the lumber magnet, whose son was uh completely just take taken off a city street one day, uh as a teenager, and uh the ransom you know, was paid and and he was found the same day but there was also a famous murder uh again in the thirties of uh the boy who somebody'd come right into his father's house and taken this child away, and at that point that was the largest missing person's search I think in America. Then in the thirties, not long after the Lenburgh kidnapping, and uh that boy was finally found, uh murdered. But uh so they were expecting, they were expecting ransom demands and lots of times uh ransom demands, you know, something goes wrong, but uh, they they were expecting that. And yes, they did respond right away.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: First of all, the patrol car went to the house, but soon soon after the detectives did. And they they took this seriously, Uh from the very beginning. It's amazing how they needed to take it, you know, seriously, and that they just didn't shrug it off as a childhood you know, wandered away to you know, get breakfast at the neighbor's house or something.
Speaker 4: You talk about. Also that they set up tape recording in the basement. All the phones were they were ready to be monitored or they were monitored, ready for somebody to call and then to follow that up and put potential ransom. So that's what was set up, and the police were in their home for thirty days at least in the beginning. You also talk about that. Of course, as part of the investigation, they knock on neighbors doors, Don joined a group of searchers made up of police and volunteers. Hundreds of National guardsmen were scouring fields and Tacoma waterways. But you also talk about that there was they had to question a couple of friends, and right away there's a fifteen year old boy that becomes at least someone to you know, not a suspect necessarily, but at least somebody they want to talk to because he is friends with younger children and he's fifteen years old. Is Robert Brews, and.
Speaker 6: He lived two doors away, and uh, the police were suspicious of him because he seemed to like to kind of play and hang out with the younger children, and they gave him In those days, you know, the p I mean really, law enforcement could do pretty much what it wanted to. They went to his school and dragged him out of school and took him down for a light detector. No parent, you know, around or on this scene at all, and he he did not pass his first lie detector test, and uh he he was cleared by the second one. But uh you know, I found him and tracked him down and it got to know him and talk to him, and he was just you know, scared to death, and you know, the police were pretty rough with him, not in a physical way, but you know, scared the daylights out of him. So he uh he, he stayed on their list, but kind of you know, at the bottom of the list, and they just had you know, it's just just really tough, no no obvious clues.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was going to ask if there was any evidence left that the police could use, but there was little even evidence of anyone entering the home, if I'm not correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they found a footprint, excuse me, a footprint on the steps tool that was outside that looked to be the size of a teenage boy's a footprint, And they did spend a little time going to shoe stores in Tacoma trying to see if they could find something, you know, with a tread like that, and never really completely tracked it down. Now we know, we know decades later that something I don't know if it was a tissue in the house or you know, they said there were a few leaves of grass on the floor. And I'm jumping ahead here, but but you know, in uh just uh oh five years ago or so, they actually uh did some DNA testing on something they had kept from the house in nineteen sixty one, and they won't even tell uh, you know, Anne's siblings what what it was. But uh it was with with no uh you know, success or conclusion of the the testing of it. So there was some there was something. I don't know if it was, you know, the sheep they had kept her, oh what it was, because there's no there's no sign in the police report, you know, all all thousand pages of it, that anything was kept from her bedroom. And also Rubert was went upstairs because Anne was kind of used to being up and down during the night, and she may have come downstairs and you know, recognized somebody she knew.
Speaker 4: Right for the reader, you also have a parallel story, of course, and you introduced the connection between Ted Bundy and the Burrs in terms of geographical just being in the neighborhood and being in Tacoma. So you talk about that there was a friend named Sandy Holt and she'd spend most of her time, you say, trailing after her older brother, Doug, and Doug was best friends with Ted Bundy, and you talk about some of the things that she remembers from that time. I guess it would be important obviously to understand the character. But tell us what she said about some of the things that she remembers Ted being famous for when he was young.
Speaker 6: Well, let me preface this by saying that if you're going to write a book about Ted Bundy, you have to find something new and something to say. And I my entree into this was, you know, the birdcase. But then I very much worked to find people who'd never been interviewed, and one of them was Sandy Holt, this woman now in her mid sixties whose a brother was Ted's best friend, and she had photographs of the three of them together and celebrating, you know, a birthday at a birthday party and the boys were in cub Scouts, and you know, she uh had very clear memories of Ted and of some of the memories were of what he was up to as a youngster. You know, they would play in the woods and she said that he would uh she saw him, you know uh uh, you know violate animals and cut up birds and the things we kind of think of uh as uh, how serial killers start their careers are frequently you know, animal abuse. She saw some of that. And she also said he liked to you know, drag little girls into the woods and and urinate on them and uh. And then she told a story about her father's hidden uh stash pornography and how Ted you know, as a young person, had found that and and uh. And she also believed that her father, on a scouting trip, on a boy scout trip, uh, you know, possibly molested Ted that they were seeing, you know, coming out of a tent together and kind of right getting dressed. Uh. So her her brother is you know, off for the the radar these days, so I never spoke with him. But then she talked about, uh remembering Anne Burr from the neighborhood. And so she's the only person I ever found or heard of who knew both Ted and Anne. Everybody always said, and even ends and mothers said, well, you know, she'd ch and didn't know Ted Bundy, who was a little bit older, he was fourteen. He'd lived in that neighborhood when he and his mother first came uh West. Uh. They lived with his uncle in the neighborhood, and later his mother had married and they'd moved a little bit uh further north. But he's still you know, h roamed around in his bicycle and and he was a paper boy. He wasn't the Burr's paper boy, but you know, those were the days when you know, children could just roam.
Speaker 4: Right m M. Now there's as any Bundy fan and people listening to this program, I've read probably numerous books and listened to numerous programs about Ted Bundy. So there is the story. Uh again, there's some of the familiar in there, that how uh Ted Bundy had a problem with his origins of his birth and then his mother not knowing the origins of his parents and his mother Louise, and then the idea that he idolized his great uncle or great uncle Robert Cowell, and some of that lifestyle. So as you talk about in the book the psychological aspects of Ted Bundy forming at this time with a conflict over his parents, but also this adoration of his great uncle and that lifestyle tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 6: Well, Ted was illegitimate. His mother was living with her parents in Pennsylvania, and she never ever told anybody who his father was. And she went to a home front with mother's in Vermont and had the baby, and then she left and her plan was to put him up for adoption, and her father, so Tid's grandfather insisted that she go back and get the baby. So we know that, you know, that first few months is is pretty critical for a child ben you know, held and loved and nurtured, and so he was you know, on his own in this uh on wo mother's orphanage for for several months, and then they came back to Pennsylvania, and you know, they're all kinds of you know, there are just so many stories and so many myths out there. Uh. One of them is that his mother made him believe that she was his sister and his grandparents were his parents, and uh then he didn't you know, he suddenly was you know, a young adult, a teenager in his twenties when he learned about his true parentage and and various opinions on how that uh might've set him off. The closest I could get to d confirming any of that is that later in life, when Ted was on death row and there was a pro bono attorney working with him to get him, uh a new sentence, not a new Chriald, but a new sentence because in fact, his his conviction for killing the Sorority sisters in Florida and and Kimberly Leach had he he would never let anything about his childhood or's background be entered into evidence. And you know, there were some some stories about uh uh, you know, psychological abuse and being exposed to his grandfather's abuse, not of Ted, but of of the grandfather's you know, wife and and children. And so finally uh uh and then Dorothy ought Now Lewis, who is a psychiatrist to Yale, who uh helped with that. With that last effort to get him a new trial, they spoke with Ted's mother, who finally admitted that there had been a lot of abuse in her childhood home where he spent his first five years. And I'll never forget, I mean, Dorothy Lewis said that she'd seen this before, that a parent would rather their child be executed than than admits to family secrets.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: And uh so they also spoke with one of his aunts, who confirmed the stories of the the you know, the manic the manic grandfather mad, the manic depression grandmother. What Ted would have seen that that infrom the story about when he was three years old and placed knives around, you know, his teenage aunt to to scare her. Just so a lot of that was, you know, confirmed back then. It's just really hard many years after, you know, after these crimes and after somebody has been executed, to really sort out, you know, what is myth and and what his reality. And frankly sometimes I leave it up to the to the reader, but but I tried to sort it out. So he terms and he he did idolize this uncle, his great uncle that they lived with, who was, you know, a music professor, and you know he and his family had lived in Europe and traveled and and that's what that's what Ted wanted at an early age, you know, not the blue collar stepfather that he had.
Speaker 4: You also talk about part of the psychological development or lack of was that he it seemed to be something happened and as you write in the book later, there's something indefinable that it's happened that affected him, and he became more of a loner and antisocial and seemed to not fit in whatsoever. So you talk about some of the things that he gravitated towards, and he admits later again we're jumping head a little bit in terms of the things that he would have looked at that would have influenced him. We talk about pornography, but we also talk about detective magazines. Tell us a little bit about what you write about about that influence and what he may even have read in those magazines.
Speaker 6: Are you talking about a True Detective and true crime magazines? And yeah, and so that was they were really in their heyday when he was growing up in the nineteen fifties, and he did, you know, just like he would find an adult stash of pornography, you know, he he wo, he was drawn to these you know, rather uh violent depictions of I I mean I've I've looked at those magazines and and uh and Anne Marie Birth's you know, disappearance was the subject of one of them, uh six years after she disappeared in True Detective. And usually I mean they're quite violent depictions of uh, violence against women. And uh that's what he would have seen in reading those was was you know, a million ways to you know, the women are always the victim. And except for the very very you know, lone woman who you know is is or self committing mur murder. But uh, there there they were quite you know, quite violent depictions, and he he was you know, drawn to that, you know, as you you know, near the end of his life. Well, the night before he was executed, he did an interview and blaming pornography for his you know, for his killing. But you know, nobody, nobody in the world believes that pornography leads to you know, it doesn't make you a serial killer. So, you know, there were a lot of things that were influences on Ted.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot Comill.
Speaker 2: Berks necessary daily where I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you a fispump, a woo, a handclapper, a high fiver.
Speaker 3: I kind of like to high five.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino At chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem it serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly plus three daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever At chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Billberg just nes very dedily void wherever if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: Now back to this investigation with the frantic Burr family, Bev and Dawn and the other children she had. Anne Marie had a sister named Julie, was a little bit older, fifteen years old, and you said she was affected the most other children. In fact, the one sister that was with her that evening before was only three years old, so police could not even question her, could not hypnotize her, couldn't get any information out. So the police are setting up, continuing monitoring telephones again incredible, hundreds of people involved in searches, psychics trying to weigh in, and so the police had to follow every lead, and so the police were frantic as well to try to solve this case. For any suspects to come up. They questioned don of course, which is routine, but tell us where they were in terms of shortly after a month later, where were they in this investigation with Zachkevich and Strand? What did they know what they had found?
Speaker 6: Well, let me correct one thing. Julie was seven, So Anne Marie Burr was the oldest. Anne was the oldest of eight and a half, so five children under the age of eight and a half, and so Julie was seven, and of course became then the rest of her life. She was the oldest sibling in the family. They of course they knew, I mean even then, how important the first few hours are of a search. Tacoma is I mean it was you know, it's south of it's about an hour's south of Seattle. The the thing that made it a difficult area to search is that it's, you know, surrounded by a water on three sides. There are bridges leading to you know, peninsulas and islands, ah off of it. It's I it just it's an I A very difficult It was a very difficult thing to search. They also searched, they searched the the sewers and and I think you know, one of the pro you know, possibly UH really important place was that, as I mentioned, they were just they lived just a block from this university. And so one of the things I did was, you know, look at all the sewer plans from nineteen sixty one, and at everything all the building instruction going on because Ted it's said, he you know, put her in a in a ditch, and there were seven buildings under construction, uh on the campus, just the block from the birds. And in looking at all of that, there's a story that in in the police report, and and that of course Bevi had told me that when Dawn, her father and his brother Raally are out walking around searching, helping search for her, this is just in the first few hours of the first day, they see uh a building site, and that there's kind of a young man or a teenager standing by this deep ditch and kind of playing with the gravel with his shoe, and who who looked right at them, and later, i mean decades later, Ted said he stood and watched as the people were searching for this girl and maybe she was in that same ditch already, maybe she wasn't. Dawn went back, uh to the house and told the police, you know, you've got to you've gotta look at these building sites on the campus, and they're all these you know, ditches and and uh, you know, basements being being constructed and literally in the in the police report. Three days later, they go up to check and the area where he'd somebody seen somebody standing had been filled in. Yeah, they were too late, and it wasn't you know, within their capability to necessarily tear up you know, tear up a roadway or ah, a building site, uh, just in case, you know, somebody had been buried there a few days before. So that that's one of the most part stopping I think moments in the in the search is that, you know, Ted later said he was watching the search and standing near a ditch, so they the it was very it's it's really, you know, kind of interesting to look at this as far as what how did we cover missing children in nineteen sixty one? What was what was the media doing then? Of course it was very different. There was you know, there was I don't know one or two television stations in Seattle, certainly nothing in Tacoma. And there there was a day when a TV camera made the trip from Seattle to Tacoma to film some of the search, but that was about it besides the local paper, the Tacoma News Tribune. One thing that Bev was very savvy at was knowing that it was kind of up to her in the family to keep to keep Anne's name and face in the media, and so for or you know, for forty five years, whenever there was an anniversary, whenever it was Anne's birthday, you know, Bev would contact the newspaper and make sure that there were some follow up stories. And you know, nobody knew who Ted Bundy was in nineteen sixty one because he was a fourteen year old neighbor kid. But then later, you know, later in the eighties, when they you know, knew who he was and when he kind of you know, confessed in the third person to this crime, then there were a whole of course, a whole lot more stories.
Speaker 4: Let's go back a little bit, because you say, six years after Anne's disappearance, the Burrs adopted a baby girl named Laura. They finally sold their home just because of the bad memories for Bev and the family. And then you talk about again the frustrated police zach Vich and Strand.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 4: You talk about a couple very real suspects in terms of the police interest come up and starts with a ten year old gay Lynn Stewart Is they call it strangely missing met a man at amusement park. So how does this relate to this crime? And then what happens that they find out about somebody named Larkie, a man named Ralph Everett Larky. So how do they finally or suddenly get a couple suspects in this cold, cold case.
Speaker 6: Well one is that two or three years after Anne disappeared, this ten year old girl is suddenly missing from a city park. And she had as opposed to Anne's kind of m you know, very closed nurturing, uh strict family. Uh. This girl, I was I think she'd you know, she'd said she'd run away for the day or something. But she, uh, you know, got into a car with a man who stopped his car uh at the park and Uh, she was reported missing later that day or the next day, and uh, they went off on a on a joy ride. And I I don't mean to suggest that she was you know, implicit in this, but right he he drove, they drove around, They went to I believe, Idaho, and and uh maybe into Oregon, and he had her hair cut, he bought her new clothes, and and there were there were stories that were wondering if this is gonna be another annory birthcase. But then he'd he drives her b up to Tacoma after four or five days and lets her out at a candy store and he just drives away, and she goes into the store and somebody says, aren't you know, aren't you gay in and she denies it, but they call the police and and she's found and she is actually uh imagine there were some other family dynamics at work because she was kind of held in protective custody and not didn't necessarily, you know, run home to the welcoming arms of her her parents right away. And and she always you know, denied that there'd been anything untoward, but uh, it was it was very strange. And then they tracked him finally to a motel in Portland, and just as they're you know, knocking on the door and identifying themselves, uh, he shoots himself. So it's it's just hard to you know, they never found any connection between him and Anne were but it was a very strange case. One of the other uh odd ones is that in the uh uh I'd have to look at my book. I think it was in the nineteen seventies, there was an inmate in Oklahoma who confessed to the crime, and they thought enough of his uh his story that they flew him out to Oregon and and the Tacoma police went down and he said he and a friend had been uh picking beans in Oregon that summer and had uh gone up to driven up to Tacoma to try to find work. Uh you know, there are a lot of orchards in Washington State, and that they had, you know, just randomly, you know, taken Anne out of the house. They they and left and then took her back to Oregon into this bean field and they actually went digging to see if if they could uh find anything, and they didn't find anything. But also there'd been kind of the major flood uh in all that time that had passed and everything was you know different on the farm and uh uh so they didn't find anything there, and he was you know, taken back to Oklahoma and and went back to his life in prison. But I mean, they're they're really curious stories just didn't seem to lead anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very he looked like an incredible lead because he contacts poor Don Burr and then he forwards the letter to do Coma's police. He said he knew where Anne's whereabouts were and then he it was interesting because he he said, well, I just want the reward money to go to his wife and kids. He didn't want anything else, So it seemed like he did he had a sort of altruistic motive here for this. But then the stories changed in Oregon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, the other the other interesting. I mean, with a lot of cases, they are just these you know, twists and turns that that may or may not ever lead anywhere. But the other one was that there was another Don Burr in Tacoma. He was much, you know, better off than our Don Burr. But this other Don was an architect and had a daughter who was about the same age as Anne, and he would have been able to respond to a ransom demand. And he always felt himself that they meant him as the target.
Speaker 4: Well to to sort of corroborate that McLish, the Richard McLish had said that he'd changed his story, but he had also said that that they had taken the wrong child. At first he said these other men had taken the child, and they said, well, they had taken the wrong child, So that lent some credibility to this story. And and and he'd even sketched a map of the farm. So the police really did think they had something with this guy, didn't they.
Speaker 6: Yes, And he'd actually lived, he'd picked beans on that farm, and he and his wife and this other, this buddy of his, and and you know, once says he as a young person growing up in Oregon, I remember being taken on a field trip to see how these migrant workers lived. And right, you know, pretty pretty bad in the the nineteen sixties, you know, just these tiny little little shacks. And and but so I you know, that didn't seem to go anywhere either the the other. You know that they'd taken the wrong kid. And if they wouldn't you think they'd check the address of you know of Don Burr, the architect, and and Don Burr the you know, he'd called himself a you know, just a lunch bucket because he he worked on a on a base. But they they you know, that was never proven.
Speaker 4: You write about Dawn continuing to talk to the police, offering them hunches and what he thought might be leads, and friends described it as you write in the book that he was obsessed with her disappearance always, wasn't he.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I I didn't meet Don. He had he had died a a few years before I started, uh meeting with Bev. But I I I m. You know, BEV said he was he was somewhat obsessed. The other thing is I mean I know from meeting with her for you know, basically she spent the last year of her life talking to me for a whole year when she was eighty and uh hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours and she I mean, I know she was obsessed. And she was usually the one to contact the police or to you know, think that the call from the psychic was worth looking into. She's the one with the other kids in tow. She would take flyers around, you know, she made the flyers. She'd take flyers around to businesses and ask them to post them, and you know some would. And then she was the one faced face with people in town who decided, you know, that she was guilty of killing her daughter, and you know, people with say things right to her face, you know, holding her accountable. And so she she was always kind of the face on this case, even from from nineteen sixty one on. But and again she made sure that on any anniversary, you know, there was a photograph she and Dawn and the two detectives, you know, sitting and talking, going over things. Uh, anytime, you know, when they had a tree planted in Anne's memory at their at their Catholic paris, just you know, anything, she and that that's what parents, uh do you know. I've interviewed parents who when their child is missing, they call ed Smart, the father of Elizabeth Smart and Utah say what do we need to do? And his advice is his first piece of advice you keep their name and picture in the media.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: Well, so, yeah, pardon me story, or would you say, Bev didn't you know, lock herself away and and and.
Speaker 6: Grieve in that way at all? She she grieved terribly and she stayed. You know, her marriage had never been very strong. If if Anne hadn't disappeared, Bed might have separated from her husband, even with the young children, because he was uh a rather domineering. Uh you know, he could be a boy, and her children witnessed that. But he was also you know, uh, very very loyal as far as trying to find out what happened to his daughter.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, let's use us has an opportunity for Ecca to stop for a second to talk about Blue Apron. Blue Apron delivers farm fresh ingredients and step by step recipes right to your door. Blue Apron's mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyone. Blue Apron achieves this by supporting a more sustainable food system, setting the highest standards for ingredients, and building a community of home chefs. Blue Apron has chef designed recipes and exciting partnerships like Bob's Burgers and Master Chef. Experience the joy of summer with Blue Apron's favorite grilling recipes with seasonable, seasonally inspired ingredients. My wife and I cooked the sea chicken and tangy barbecue sauce along with zucchini and sweet pepper rice. I took thirty five minutes, incredibly easy and incredible tasting. All the combinations of spices and all the ingredients they give you fresh and delicious. We also tried, though Mexicans spice salmon and green beans with corn on the cob. Peruvian peppers were provided spice crusted salmon and corn with this cheesy, creamy sauce. This was fantastic, exotic, easy to do, great gourmet food and we did it ourselves. Check out this week's menu and get your first three meals free at blue apron dot com slash murder. That's blue apron dot com slash murder to get your first three meals free blue Apron A better way to cook Now, Rebecca, we have obviously this horrible situation for the Burr family, affecting their entire family, all the children and them. Don has been questioned and cleared. Don's relatives were even looked at seriously by the police or looked at by the police. But we're talking about now something to give them a little bit of hope. You're talking We fast forward to Ted Bundy on death row and all of the people that he's cooperating with. These books published about Ted Bundy and his crimes. But there is a Stephen Mashad and his partner Ainsworthy Ainsworth, Hugh Ainsworth, that are given you say, unprecedented access Ted Bundy. Some people have read a little bit about it. But let's talk about what kind of hope the burs had after Stephen Mashad had been interviewing Ted Bundy. Tell us how this comes about a little bit of optimism, a little bit of hope for the Burr family.
Speaker 6: Well, and I think you're also probably talking about the the nineteen eighty seven story about his hypothetical confession to absolutely to Ronald Holmes, who is a surreal so in the eighties, with Ted on death row, you know, he becomes, of course, you know, the subject of uh of numerous books and theories, and everybody wants to uh understand uh you know Ted Bundy, and particularly as the clock is ticking because he's on death row in Florida and the governor there is not going to make any any deals at all. So Stephen Michaud and Hugh Ainsworth too, you know, very prominent and respected UH journalists, UH get Tid's UH approval to UH audio tape some UH interviews with him in uh in prison and you know, uh for your listeners if if they haven't to haven't read uh their uh interviews with Ted, it's it's really worth reading. And one of the things I wanted to do, uh in my book was to look at Ted's own words, and I I think we often don't do that enough with with the suspect is you know, what did they say about? And Ted would speak in the third person about about his crimes, but he did tell Michaud and Ainsworth about you know, he kind of re enacted he he'd loved being you know, dramatic and being of course the the subject of every everybody's attention, and he was you know, he was a compulsive liar, and he was you know just uh, you know, really evil. But you know, given all that he'd he would tell the story about how special, you know, his very first crime was, and especially if it was a child, and that you keep that you don't ever confess that, you keep that really close to you because that first crime is so special. But he also kind of you know, reenacted taking taking a child from a house and then in in nineteen eighty seven, so about the same time as the recordings there's a uh uh Louisville researcher, uh Ronald Holmes, who's uh talking to serial killers and uh that's in nineteen eighty six, and he d he doesn't say what came out of it until he's speaking to a law enforcement group in Colorado in nineteen eighty seven. Course the state where Ted escaped twice from jail. Uh it was in Colorado. But he talks about, you know that Ted hypothetically uh killed a girl when he was eight years old. Well, of course that has been all over the newspapers, uh nationally and out here, and that does give uh v ber some hope. And she begins a written correspondence with Ted and uh and I I print some of their their letters in the book where you know, she basically is imploring him, you know, I he has nothing to lose by, you know, by saying if he killed Anne or not. And and he just you know, to the very end just uh denies it. But he had re enacted for for Ronald Holmes, UH, you know, taking taking this girl from taking a girl from the house to the orchard next door and there was an orchard next to the birds, and assaulting her and strangling her and putting her in a ditch. So I don't think the Tacoma police ever, you know, once once they knew who who Ted was in the seventies and that he lived in Tacoma, and then his his so cold confessions in the eighties, and then and then even uh, you know, in more recent years. I don't think they ever really took him seriously because because he was so you know young at the time. I'm fourteen, but you know, they're i they did, you know, they did check. You know, some DNA of TADS became available just a few years ago, and so there are you know, cities around the country trying to close cold cases by by having you know, checking his DNA, because he said he he alluded to hundreds of killings and said he killed for instance, you know, young women in California where there was never anything attributed to him. So he may have just been you know, you know, toying with law enforcement, which he loved to do, or maybe you know, but so far, there hasn't been anything you know, new attributed to him.
Speaker 4: You include though, that when he was speaking hypothetically to Ronald Holmes, he said he knew and because of some one someone's paper route. He said he'd been in the house before, entered the house by the side window, walked past the parents' bedroom and up some steps and he said he coaxed her out downstairs and he said it was an apple orchard next door. Yeah, and he raped, killed her, dumped her in a ditch in front of the house. He said, maybe a sewer line, and that's what we mentioned. He said. The next day he went over and watched police talk to the Burrs on the front porch, and he said, and had a crush on him. What did Holmes did? Did Holmes believe what Bundy had said despite what other people thought? He did?
Speaker 6: And he still and he still does. And you know there are lots of other people, including law enforcement at the time, who and who today just you know, shrugged that off as that's that's kind of Ted being Ted. But it opened up this you know, written conversation that that BEV could have with him. You know, It's just I don't know, and I I've been giving a lot of thought recently. I as you know, as I say, Ted Bundy is alive and well on the internet, they're they're you know, their books, they're h couple of documentaries coming out. There's the feature film, uh schedules for next year. You know, there have been TV movies and and like other authors, you know, I wanted to kind of find out, you know, what made Ted ted. But it reminds me. I don't know if you've ever read Ron Rosenbaum's work, but his book Explaining Hitler, which I find a lot of parallels to this, is that is that we get caught up and trying to you know, it becomes a cottage industry trying to explain Ted Bundy, like trying to explain Hitler, you know, and understand, well, why, you know, what makes a person like this. Dorothy Ottell Lewis, the psychiatrist from Yale, wanted Ted to you know, donate his brain, uh after he was executed, and and he you know, refused to. But there are a lot of people doing uh brain research of of murderers and prisons and of serial killers. And you know a lot of them have had some head injury as a child that perhaps contributed to you know, and and a very obviously a rocky childhood, uh contributes to to you know, committing crimes later. There's no doubt about that. But isn't it interesting how you know we consider I think people look at Ted Bundy as kind of the heart throb of serial killers. Yeah, and because you know, he was good looking and charming and and uh, I'm gonna digress here a little bit more. But I thought a lot dan about you know, if you took Ted Bundy versus Gary Ridgeway, who yuh you know is on dethro and Washington State, but we don't w you know, we have a ban against executions. But but you know, Gary Ridgeway uh admitted to forty nine killings and they're possibly more. But you know, Ted was good looking. Gary Ridgeway was not Uh Ted had these you know, white pretty co ed victims. You know, Gary rag Ridgeway killed basically African American prostitutes. And and but there's a fascination with you know, uh Ted Bundy that is, you know, far beyond any kind fascination with Gary Ridgeway. It's just that's something I've been thinking about lately, is you know, why does somebody capture the imagination like Ted Bundy and somebody else doesn't.
Speaker 4: It's very much like the Bernardo Homalka case, where they were better looking people, but I don't know how extraordinarily good looking they were. But their victims were innocent school girls, fifteen year old schoolgirls, and so definitely the case. The stories are incumbent upon good looking victim. I'm sorry to say, white good looking victims with that are innocent, that are innocent, and otherwise it's almost otherwise they're ignored.
Speaker 6: Well, that's true, and I think there's been some you know, the media is beginning to wake up to this in Eastern America that you know, there's actually something called missing White Women's syndrome that somebody like Susan Powell, who I wrote a book about it, you know, and who's missing in Utah, Well she got them. She gets media attention because she was, you know, twenty nine years old, white and pretty and a Mormon, and you know in her city, murder is you know, those people aren't going to get the same media attention as as as other victims. So it depends on, yes, the the age and race and of the victim, and if they're attractive or not. And you know, how attractive is the murderer.
Speaker 4: Sad, it's sad, but human nature and those are the rules. I guess we haven't mentioned and Rule here because and Rule late great, and Rule fantastic. Of course, the Queen of true crime, I don't know that's a great monker.
Speaker 6: But the genre. I think we could safely say she invented true crime. And of course she knew it. And you know, her book The Stranger Beside Me is the you know, it's it's the Bible as far as what we knew about Ted Bundy then. But she was, you know, very kind to me. I originally contacted her for you know, a blurb on the book, and but I interviewed her a few times for Ted Nan and met her in person and got to know her a little bit, and she was, you know, very supportive, and she absolutely she always believed that he had killed Ann Burr. Ann Burr is only mentioned in the you know, there's an there's an update in the back of The Stranger Beside Me maybe from the nineteen nineties, in which she she mentions Anberr because you know, when she was writing The Stranger Beside Me, no, we just hadn't connected any of adults yet, right, But she was and you know, she was a fierce competitor. She uh was really you know, I did did some some really great work. I I think The Stranger Beside Me is a classic, and and you know, I think the other book about the case of Diane Downs, who you know, shot her children and in Eugene, Oregon, was is just a really terrific book too.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 4: Why I mentioned Anne Rule too is because Anne Rule would not dare to say that somebody might be involved, whether it's Ted or not, unless she believed that the murder of and burr Was was perpetrated by Ted Bundy. And she believed that, didn't she.
Speaker 6: Sh uh, she she did? Yeah, And I I think that lends a credibility. There are other people who you know who who don't think so. But you know it, I don't know that we'll ever really know for sure. Well I don't, you know, I guess we won't. It's it's been all these years, and it's just it's something that consumed me for the many years I I worked on the book, and and I think the you know, people ask me, how do you write this kind of thing? Over and over and it doesn't get kind of grizzly. But I think the only time I actually cried working on the book was when I finally put put it together that and it wasn't obvious that the spot where Dawn had seen, you know, somebody standing over the ditch. That then then it was too late when you know, when the police went up to check, and that just seemed really you know, futile.
Speaker 4: And what what did Bev make and don but what did Bev make of the police reluctance to connect her daughter's disappearance to the Ted Bunny case despite what Ronald Holmes had found? And and the thing is with Ronald Holmes, he was not allowed to take a tape recorder in as you write in a book, not allowed to tape record the conversation, say Buddy in himself.
Speaker 6: So it's yeah, but he you know, he again is a credible person. He was a a university professor who was also blames the corner UH in the county where he UH resided, or the medical examiner. Maybe the medical examiner, you know, one of those is actually a non you're not a physician, if you're you know, it's it's kind of it's it's not doing the autopsy, it's it's doing the record keeping or something, or interviewing people. I she was never she was never visited at by the police, you know, the zach Kovic and Strand after they retired, would you know, kind of keep in touch with Bev And they told me, I mean their children told me they would, you know, they'd meet every week for coffee after they're retired and talk about this case and what, you know, what the what they could still do even in retirement. But nobody ever visited the Burghs, I would say after you know, nineteen sixty three, it just was, you know, put aside. They kept you know, as you'd seen police reports, they if they had a tip or something, but there really wasn't much contemporary you know, pretty much the police report stops. And I believe sixty two or sixty.
Speaker 4: Three you also talk about that there was numerous people that you talk about. A FBI agent Hagmire, and he had asked and he was giving weight to the to this connection Burr Bundy connection. Bob Keppel did this. He considered Ted Bundy as nemesis, and he had done this case for fifteen years and he finally met up with him in person in Florida. He had asked these questions many times when he's asked other times about this connection it's not he doesn't do what he did with Ron Holmes, does.
Speaker 6: He No, he doesn't. And I again, you know, we try to understand, well, why not what was that about? I think it's because I think it was his way of like playing with Bob Keppel and with hag Meyer, and especially with Keppel. You know, Kepole was part of the I believe King County in the state police force that was searching for Ted. You know, from nineteen seventy four on they had a first name because Ted. When he abducted two women from Lake Samamish Park just east of Seattle and killed them on the same day, he's was overheard as saying his name was Ted. So that search for Ted lasted years, and uh supposedly Keppel was just very close. You know, they were actually using a very early computer to winnow down you know, the people who owned tan volkswagens and you know who had lived around the University of Washington where some of the victims were. And you know, just before they got to looking at Ted Bundy, he was arrested in in Colorado. I believe that was for having the burglary items in his his back of his car. So then he was kind of on the radar, so Kepel never really you know, never really caught him. It was, you know, random that he was was stopped in Colorado.
Speaker 4: You have a story in the book that just before Christmas nineteen Machad and Ainsworth traveled to Koma to speak with the Bundees and they had been at the trial, and so they played the tape for them with Ted talking about again in third person, about raping and killing a girl. Yeah, and you have this. If you don't remember, I'll just have to say this day after that, they said, well they thought they heard a mouse in the room or something, so Louise was making some little subtle noises. But that right after they played the tape for us, he said, well, anybody for some coffee and apple pie?
Speaker 6: Yes, so I think you said they met with the birds. Yeah, they met with the Bundyes.
Speaker 4: They met the Bundies.
Speaker 6: Pardon me, Yes, but Johnny and Louise so they went to Yeah, because they Louise had attended his trial or trials they actually both had. And so yes, they went to Tacoma to play this tape for them, and I, you know, I never I I tried to meet Louise Bundy. She died a few years ago. People were fiercely protective of her. I never met her, but you know, you kind of feel that you get to know somebody a little bit when you're when you're writing in detail about them. And her way of of coping was to offer apple pie or coffee and basically, you know, change the subject. But that was. Yeah, the the mouse they thought they heard were was her, you know, a a physical manifestation of her emotions that she could not bottle up. Right then, you know, she was murmuring and and then she stopped and offered them coffee and usually was apple pie. In fact, I think, uh, at one point in my book, I talked about, uh, how how similar in a way Bev were and Louise Bundy were because you know, they both had five children. Louise went on to have you know, uh Ted, Ted had four s four step Uh I'm sorry, force, uh yeah, have siblings, have siblings, right, and and and Bev would offer people apple pie. And that's what Louise Bundy would offer people, apple pie. So I did find some some anecdotes and some stories that I think well, had never been told before. And one of them is you know that infamous picture the last night that uh uh, just before Ted was executed, when he's on the phone with his mother, and I uh interviewed uh for quite a while, the the photographer and the reporter who were the only people in the house with uh Louise and Johnny Bundy just hours before Ted was executed, and the fellow who took that famous photograph, and you know, I mean it's I think it's a fascinating story of how she, you know, speaks with Ted and what she says and what he says, and then and she's kind of you know, she's kind of cheering, and then she they hang up, they say goodbye, and then because Ted's sister won't accept a call from him, he calls her back and it's kind of anti climactic. And you know, so I was looking for for people and for stories that had never been told about, you know, Ted's life, and I I just I still think that was a really great one. Imagine being in that house alone with his mother as she's saying goodbye to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, incredible. You also talked that at the trial, the mother, of course, is bleing, pleading for her son's life. So they wouldn't be put to death. And I had never read this before. They said, that's when Ted shed a tear right there.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's well at least that's what I would read or has been told. And you know, he wouldn't cooperate in his trial. I mean he would not. He would rather go to death row than admit that I I anything that had influenced him or or appear weak at all. He was extremely uncooperative. He wouldn't let them include, you know, anything about his childhood or what he saw or experienced. And uh, you know, he was kind of his own worst enemy. Uh at that point he.
Speaker 4: He write about him being incredibly and it seemed to be just what we mentioned that right to the very very end it he was very embarrassed about his background, wasn't.
Speaker 6: He he was? And you know there are her uh accounts you know really uh uh reported by other people than me that talk about you know, a high school teacher who you know, knew that Ted was n very very embarrassed about being I illegitimate. And you know, I think it's like we talked about, you know, admiring his great uncle. Ted wanted this, He wanted this fa this life. He was trying to fabricate for himself. You know, he would He graduated with a degree in psychology. He you know, very sporadically attended uh two different law schools. I don't know that he even finished, you know, one semester. But at one point he volunteered for the r Young Republicans in the state of Washington. And you know, was a was seen at somebody as uh at these at these gatherings, uh in the seventies, of somebody who might really have a future in politics. Yeah, cause he everybody thought he was bright. His his last attorney, pro bono attorney, said, you know, he really wasn't He was not particularly bright, but he you know, he was an actor his entire life. I mean, he created a character for himself, and that's that's what people saw this faciety.
Speaker 4: You talk, you talk about the psychological uh uh uh evaluation that he was bipolar. I don't know if it was Paulie Nelson or some other psychologists uh examined him and said that he had the the classic case of them, you know, sort of the mania and the ups and downs and the mood swings, and people would see him somewhat normal and then he would look different. He would even his eyes would look different. And then and he also had this preoccupation was startling people right from when he was a t a child and and so he was sort of had a unnerving way about him early on.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: And going back to Sandy Holt who we talked about, uh, she and her brother were his playmates that she remembered he liked to startle, startle children. And of course, you know some of his uh one or two women who got away, you know, who were not victims, said that that was, you know, kind of kind of part of his mo was was you know, he liked to scare people or startle people. But he yeah, it was mostly when he was you know, uh incarcerated that uh and was on death row. That one psychologist who was uh assessing him said that he even gave off kind of a kind of a an odor when his eyes changed. Mm that you know, very kind of animal kind of instinct. And who knows. I don't I don't think it was was that he wasn't bathing. I I think there was something p you know. They they said they could see his his his eyes change and go very very dark, and and UH think Michaud and Ainsworth. Uh witness that too, that he could, you know, he would and he referred to his you know this other shelf, this other empathy, oh, you know realm that he would move into when he was Uh, he seemed to you know, I think he said that he he actually controlled it by killing. I mean it was lee. It was always like that when he would when it was he was leading up to killing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he blamed it on his entity, the or the empty.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You talk about the hundreds of hours that you had with Bev that she shared with you. How dramatic was it when they read and when they saw the headline that the expert is explained, you know, expert says that Ted attacked when he was fourteen, an eight year old girl. You have in the book that she's holding up the headlines. There's a photo of her by the media holding up that headline. How disappointing was it that the police wouldn't respond You corresponded with her. You had hundreds of hours. I just thought, how dramatic was that from all the false leads there was. Again, it's not like the police were continually over all those years updating them, but there was a time when you know, there might have been some hope what happened when this information was revealed and the at least didn't respond.
Speaker 6: Well. I think it confirmed for her that they were on their own, that you know, there was this. I mean, she she wrote to Uh. She also wrote to Hugh Ainsworth, but she began writing to Ted and I I think it just confirmed for her that, you know, and probably by then. I don't know if Zatkovich and Strand were were deceased by then or they were certainly you know, older and retired. But I think it just confirmed for her that there was I if she was ever gonna learn anything, it would it would come from her herself. Uh that you know, nobody was gonna knock on the door and say we've we've solved this. And you know, she also, as I say in the book, she just had you know, there were just some terrible years. Uh. One of her her daughters, uh became schizophrenic and and was home listen on drugs and had two children, and uh one of them, you know, with with a lot of uh disabilities, and Bev and down just were kind of you know, literally bailing her out a lot and one of the things I I mean, I've done a lot of books since then, but it was the first thing I did where I could clearly see how something like this is the effect of this on a family has passed down in the generations. Sure, and the children and grandchildren and and on and on that there's something I mean about a murder or a missing person that is, uh, becomes it just it it becomes part of of who you are and learning to to live with it and or or not learning to live with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't. Yeah, it's hard to stay. It's hard to say you could learn to live with something like that, but you survive.
Speaker 6: And you know, I spent a lot. It's not like every day it was, you know, tell me what it was like.
Speaker 7: Then.
Speaker 6: I I drive to tacomatas here and you know, she we'd watched Judge Judy because she liked to do that, and we might sit in her her backyard. I always picked up, you know, something I was hoping that she'd eat, because she was, you know, getting getting pretty than and drawn. And I met a couple of other her other children and uh andh you know, and she had these scrap books that she'd kept with. I mean, it was really fascinating. I think there were some twenty or thirty UH albums where uh, even even in recent uh decades, it might start with, you know, the web pictures of the wedding of one of her children, but the back half of it would be all about Anne, right, you know, with pictures, oh sorry, with pictures that she'd never found another place for, or or newspaper articles over the years, or when she and Dawn UH traveled some uh she'd always you know, keep a a little journal. And I think the strangest coincident she ever told me is one time they were on a UH bus caravan trip to oh to the to uh Missouri where the where the old when the grand old opry is right, and and she said that that Johnny and Louise were on the same bus to her and I never had a way of confirming that, but she said they were. They were seated alphabetically, and you know, oh they would run into each other around town once every decade or something and never never spoke.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's bizarre.
Speaker 6: You can't make up something like that.
Speaker 4: Really, No, No, that's bizarre, how cathartic. I mean, that's an overused word. But how cathartic? Was this?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 4: Bad? Your involvement this book? And what was her reaction to this book?
Speaker 6: Well, it was it was published after she died. She died in two thousand and eight, and I was working on it. But you know, it was really strange. She was a very no nonsense person and I can't tell you how many dozens of times she would say to me, she would ask me, you know, what are what are you doing? And it wasn't that she'd forgotten her had memory problems. She just kind of, uh, you know, I never quite sunk in. I mean, she always knew and she you know, gave me the rights to photographs and her own writings and and lots of things. So she was, you know, uh very much a player in it. But she I think she must have wondered, you know, you're watching Judge Judy with me, So what what does this have to do with the book? But yeah, I I just always think you have to you have to spend time with people to to really uh get to know them. So I don't know if it would be uh cathartic.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: She died about uh two years before it was. It was finished. But you know, I think of her a lot, and and I think of how she you know, she was just such an incredibly a strong person, and she had a lot of heartache in her life, not just not just this, but you know, this is kind of the ultimate heartache.
Speaker 4: I just thought that it would be it would be interesting for all of the again reluctance by police, for the for the family, her and her husband to know much years later, to get this kind of confirmation. But then the police are reluctant to do anything. But I thought that your involvement, like you say, watching Judge Judy with her, you know, stopping or for a second, getting off of that author subject relationship and just watching television with her again asking for her story. She wanted to be a journalist, so she had all of this information chronicled to use that information to get that story out, to tell her story, the thing that she'd lived with. I just thought that your involvement would this book, even the the future book that she didn't know, she didn't get to see it, realized that that would be cathartic for her. There would have been helpful for her, someone to listen to her and understand that and she was a.
Speaker 6: Private person, and it may be that she at some point that she you know, it occurred to her. Yes, what Rebecca's doing is you know it, maybe something will come about. But she wasn't one to you know, talk about her emotions or feelings much. And she never she never said to me, you know, I think this is important and I hope someday we find out what happened. Right, she was just you know, letting me do whatever I you know, thought I needed to do, so it And I think she was, you know, she was that that year. That year, she you know, really faded. But I'll say that they're one of the things. And I I don't think I've ever written a book where I've pointed fingers at the police. I think I think it's very appropriate for an author to ask questions about, you know, why things were done a certain way or not done. But I will say that I don't understand it's now, it's now how many years since nineteen sixty One's fifty five, fifty six years? You know why the Tacoma police they never would speak to me, and this project started in two thousand and seven. They still won't speak to me. They won't tell Julie, the oldest sibling, what they took her d and a few years ago to test something and to test the blood sample they had of TEGs. They won't tell her what. They won't tell her the result. They won't well, they said it was kind of inconclusive. They won't tell her, well, what was there in the house that they were testing. And I know from the Susan Powell case in Utah, which is now she's been missing since two thousand nine, you know, and that case is you know, closed because the best suspect, you know, Josh, her husband is dead. And but they won't tell the things that they won't tell the parents. They won't you know, give them the police report. They won't tell 'em, you know, for for cases that are decades old. I just don't see the point in that. And I don't know if it's because they're not they're gonna come up, They're gonna be questions. Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's common. I've seen the same thing where it's a cold case and the family I'm working on this case, the family was never contacted when the case was reopened. It seemed like a friend in the police had initiated this or had to influenced the police to open up the case. And they still can't get any answers. They could never get a police report, they couldn't get anything. And so you know, again they said, well, it's still an open investigation, but it's a cold case, and none of the family, the father the mother, have received no information. So you have to take it from them to say, especially when they explain how far this is how I mean, I understand certain things being withheld from anyone in an open investigation, but like I said, I agree with you, there has to be some information released to the family that can be harmless.
Speaker 6: Chuck Cox, Susan Powell's father, you know, is trying. You know, he'd like to see the original police report on her on the day she went missing. That case, and you know, everybody's dead. I mean, you know, Susan's missing ten years. Her husband killed himself and the children, then then his brother killed himself, and now the father in law just died in prison or in jail. You know, why not show the parents wh what what you have. I don't get it. I don't get it, but that is certainly the case here. It's also the case with you know a little less so with the book you and I talked about a few weeks ago about the murder of my high school classmate fifty years ago. You know, I I everything was lost, the evidence was lost, the police report was lost, and finally found it. And and I don't know that in that case, if Dick Kitchell's parents were ever told, Okay, we've got we've got this suspect, this guy, he's flunked three polygraphs. We just can't arrest him. I don't know if they were even ever told that. I saw no sign of it.
Speaker 4: No, well likely not. So I just add to the despair of these people, you know, just.
Speaker 6: Just and it just you know, the thing is these nothing made in the new in the case may ever come up new. But but boy, knowing that that you're not allowed to you know, see everything, know everything that that that happened. I I just think that is I mean, I've seen it with families, just how frustrating it is. So I think, you know, Bev just decided this was you know, this was basically up to her and her and Don to keep it in the public eye. And they they did, you know, what they could, and you know, and I wrote a big article about her as I was, and then I started the book, and then I wrote a second piece, you know, right after she died that also addressed some of this, you know, just going all those those decades without knowing.
Speaker 4: Mm. Yeah, it's just well there's no real happy ending.
Speaker 6: Victims family felt the same way, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's now there's no happy endings with this and just further torment, I think for family. So that's just the nature of true murder and true crime is that.
Speaker 6: And there's always more than one family. There's there's always you know, and I do think about the other the families of killers, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, I it's sure.
Speaker 6: Must be terribly hard to live with.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely, yes. Well, I want to thank you very much Rebecca for coming on and talking about Ted and Anne, the mystery of a missing child and her neighbor, Ted Bundy. For those that might want to look at your rather work, you have a Facebook page website. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 6: Yes, the Facebook page certainly, and the website address is Rebecca T. Middle initial T Morris dot com. And I let's see that Ted Nann was my first book, and since then I wrote Bad Apples about the wave of young female teachers having uh involvements with their teachers. Still the only book about why young women seduce their students or get involved with the fairs. And then some crime anthologies with Ray Olsen, and then If I Can't Have You about Susan Powell and killing an Homish country, about a rare, very rare murder among the Amish in Ohio. And then this this year's new book, The Murder in My Hometown, and so I'm onto another book. Now sounds great.
Speaker 4: Well, we hope you, thank you, thank you very much, and hope to talk to you again real soon. Thank you very much, Rebecca Morris, have a great evening.
Speaker 6: By thank you. M