Speaker 1: This episode maintain content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised. Hi, this is Tanya.
Speaker 2: Hi this is Shannon, and we are.
Speaker 1: Crimes and Consequences, a hardcore true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya, how are you?
Speaker 1: I am doing well today?
Speaker 2: How are you good? Good? Not too shabby?
Speaker 1: That's awesome, you know, just kind of cruising.
Speaker 2: We're in November now, yes, daylight savings time. Yeah. Oh it's been dark since gosh, what five five thirty, So I have no idea what time it is.
Speaker 1: I know it could be ten pm, it could be six, could be two ways. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have zero idea. So it's all been good.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to get used to.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like I've been feeling a little bit of like lead jackety, you know, it was just like drainy. Still feel a little congested just all around. I don't have a bug. I'm not sick, thank god, but I'm not feeling not feeling Shannon. Yeah, you know, it's more like Shannon, I'm tired. Yeah, I have to sleep immediately, and I have no energy. You know what it's the sun. I gotta add vitamin D.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it makes me a lot of people, they say, a large population in Michigan we suffer from vitamin D deficiency. So yes, kelcapri.
Speaker 2: Cal's sapriz money. But what she got? Where is this week? Oh?
Speaker 1: I have a terrible story that comes out of Canada. It's not very old. It's from twenty fourteen, so this century. And before I start, I would just like to remind everyone to hit the subscriber follow on whatever app you're listening to. So are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready? Okay.
Speaker 1: At first, there was only quiet. It was the kind of silence that doesn't belong in a house where a five year old has just spent the night. The kitchen clock ticked softly in the background. The air felt still. The hallway smelled faintly of metal and something sour. Jennifer O'Brien stood at the threshold of her parents' home and felt, before she understood, that something was terribly wrong. She'd come early that Monday morning, June thirtieth, twenty fourteen, to pick up her son, Nathan. The long weekend had been full. Her parents, Elvin and Catherine Likeness, were preparing to move, sorting through boxes and memories, and they had held an estate sale that drew neighbor's friends and the curious. Nathan had begged to stay overnight. He loved his grandparents fiercely, the pancakes in the morning, the stories at bedtime, the special attention that only grandparents can give. Jennifer relented. One night, she said, I'll see you in the morning. Now it was morning and they were gone. She took a few steps inside. A chair was overturned, A framed photograph lay face down on the floor. In the guest room, she noticed a sheet twisted at the corner of the mattress, a patch of carpet discolored by something she couldn't name. Her mind raced through possibilities, a medical emergency, a break in, but the front door hadn't been forced, and the keys still hung on the hook by the entrance. When she called nine one one, her voice shook. My parents and my son are missing, she said, there's blood in the house. Within an hour, Calgary police were unseen. By mid morning, yellow tape fluttered in the suburban breeze, and neighbors stood on lawns, whispering and disbelief. By afternoon, an amber alert went out across Alberta, the longest one ever issued in the province's history. Billboards, television crawls, radio stations, and cell phones repeated the same message, missing Nathan O'Brien, five years old, last scene with grandparents Alvin and Catherine likeness. The news spread with the velocity of panic. Parents double checked their doors. Grandparents clutched their grandchildren tighter. Calgary, a city that prided itself on safety, prosperity, and community, found itself staring into a void. By the first week of July twenty fourteen, Ulgrey's collective anxiety had curled into dread. The amber alert, still active, still unanswered, had entered its fifth day. Police had received more than one thousand tips from across Alberta and neighboring provinces, but nothing led to the missing family. In the city's southwest quadrant, a home on thirty eight A Avenue had become a monument to absence. Reporters lingered outside the air, heavy with questions. Volunteers taped missing posters to lamp posts. Their corners curling in the dry prairie wind, each bore the same smiling faces, A bright eyed little boy and his grandparents, the kind of image that gnaweded even the most stoic viewer, and then came the name Douglas Garland, the first solid lead since the disappearance. On July first, Canada Day, detectives arrived at a modest acreage near Airdrie, Alberta, about twenty five miles north of Calgary. The property, hemmed in by willows and rusting machinery, belonged to the Garland family. Duglin Garland lived there with his elderly parents, Arthur and Gwendolen. The family kept largely to themselves to neighbors. Douglas was ad but harmless, a middle aged man who tinkered with engines and electronics. He was known to make late night runs into Calgary for supplies, but rarely stayed long enough to speak. What few remembered was his past, the aliases, the fraud, the failed life experiments that had accumulated like junk around the farm. In nineteen ninety two, Garland had vanished for nearly seven years after a drug related arrest, living under a false identity in British Columbia. Before being caught. He had studied science and university but never completed his degree. People described him as intelligent, mechanical minded, but emotionally stunted, and he carried grudges like Talismans. Years earlier, Garland had collaborated with Alvin Likeness on a pump design for oil and gas extraction. When Likeness filed for his own patent in two thousand and seven, Garland felt robbed. Family members would later testify that he'd spoken bitterly about Alvin for years, referring to him with disdain. That resentment had festered long enough to become obsession. The first time officers visited the Garland farm, Douglas was polite, cooperative even He told them he hadn't seen the Likenesses in years, but detectives noticed small inconsistencies in his story. He referred to the Likeness's estate sale before police had made that information public. He stammered when asked about his whereabouts the night of June twenty ninth. Police returned the next day with a search warrant. What they found deepened their knees, tire tracks matching those seen outside the Likeness home, shoes with a tread pattern resembling one found in blood at the crime scene, a burn barrel filled with partially melted plastic and unrecognizable debris. In Garland's workshop, investigators discovered a trove of comical containers, cutting tools, and a small homemade incinerator behind the house. In an overgrown patch of grass, searchers found what appeared to be drag marks, as if something heavy had been pulled across the soil. It was enough to detain Garland for questioning. The breakthrough came from what the forensic team called trace persistence in Layman's terms, no one cleans perfectly. When specialists combed through Garland's garbage, they found faint, reddish smea on the edge of a tool chest. They swabbed it. The DNA matched Nathan O'Brien. Further testing identified Alvin and Catherine in separate samples throughout the property, on a saw, a pair of rubber boots, and inside a truck bed. The evidence suggested a night of methodical brutality. Forensic testimony later described the sequence as quote abduction, transport, homicide, disposal end quote. It was a kind of language meant to strip away emotion, but everyone in the room knew what it meant. Police returned to the likeness home. With new eyes, they reconstructed the scene from blood spatter and scuff marks. The evidence told a grim story. Garland entered after midnight, subdued the likenesses, and abducted all three, taking Nathan because he was a witness. He loaded them into his pickup drove norm and brought them to his property, where the killings occurred within hours. The bodies were never found. On July fourteenth, twenty fourteen, Calgary Police announced that Douglas Garland had been charged with three counts of first degree murder. At the press conference, Chief Rick Hanson spoke slowly, visibly worn by the investigation.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: We believe we have the evidence to support that these individuals are deceased, he said, and we believe we have the same person responsible in custody end quote. The words landed like thunder. For two weeks, Calgary had held out hope, fragile, irrational hope that Nathan and his grandparents might still be alive, that maybe somehow there'd been a ransom, a misunderstanding, a miracle waiting to unfold. That hope died with Hanson's statement, Jennifer O'Brien wept publicly that day. Her grief, raw and defiant quote. I know my son is with my parents. I know they're together. End quote. In the weeks that followed, the city became a kind of memorial. Children left toy cars and teddy bears outside the Likeness home. Sidewalk chalks spelled love for Nathan. Churches held vigils, candles burned on porches. Strangers embraced it intersections. It wasn't just grief, It was disbelief that such a thing could happen here, to people like this, in a neighborhood that it always seemed immune to tragedy. Reporters wrote of the Calgary stillness, a collective quiet that hung over the city that summer. Even after Garland's arrest, the missing bodies left a hollow space in every headline. No one wanted to believe that a little boy's sleepover, that simplest, sweetest act of family, could end in such horror, but the evidence was undeniable. The monsters, it turned out, didn't always live from home. The Garland farm sat at the edge of a gravel road that dusted out towards the prairie horizon, an ordinary Alberta acreage until police began to dig. In July twenty fourteen, the Calgary Police Service transformed the Quiet Air Dree property into one of the largest crime scenes in Canadian history. For eight weeks, investigators sifted through soil, ash and metal scraps. They cataloged every fragment, every burn pile, every stain. What they found was a geography of horror. Detectives called it the search of a lifetime. More than one hundred officers, forensic technicians, and evidence recovery experts rotated through twelve hour shifts. They combed through barns, sheds and fields. Specialized anthropologists from the University of Alberta were brought in to identify bone fragments, while fire andats mapped burn patterns across the site. They unearthed thousands of items, a child's toothbrush, scorched fabric, and the remains of power tools modified in disturbing ways. At the center of the property was the clearing where Garland had built what he called a burn barrel, a makeshift incinerator fashioned from an old oil drum. Within it, police found the remains of a small chain, a button from children's pajamas, and traces of blood. Just beyond the main yard, a second burn site stretched into the treeline. The ground had been disturbed, the ash layer thick with melted plastic and metal shards. When sifted through fine screens, the soil revealed microscopic bone fragments, calcigned by fire and impossible to identify through DNA. By the end of the eighth week, searchers had recovered more than six hundred bone fragments, none larger than a fingertip. If the farm was the final chapter, the basement of the Garland homed was the prologue. The scene of confinement. In a locked room beneath the stairs, police discovered a cot, zip ties and restraints. Nearby was a small table holding chemical containers, latex gloves, and duct tape. Forensic biologists later testified that they found DNA belonging to all three victims in the room, particularly on the floor and the bindings. One detective called it a chamber of control. They also found medical books and online printouts about dismemberment and incineration techniques. Garland had apparently researched bone ash disposal and destroying DNA and fire. He wasn't impulsive, he was methodical. By the time the trial began, in January twenty seventeen, prosecutors had assembled a narrative built from fragments physical, digital, and psychological. They called it a case without bodies. In place of corpses, there were ashes in place of eyewitnesses. There were traces the kind of forensic whispers that spoke louder than any confession. One of the prosecution's most damning exhibits was the GPS data from Garland's truck On the night of June twenty ninth. His vehicle had left the Airdree farm around nine forty five pm, traveled to the Likeness neighborhood, remained there for two and a half hours, then returned home just before three am. At four fifteen am, the truck's movement sensor detected activity again, the beginning of what police believed was the destruction of evidence. Even Garland's Internet history was a confession of sorts. He had searched for terms like how to erase blood evidence, forensic DNA heat resistance, and how long bones burn. When officers seized his computer, they found folders labeled Pumps, family, and Chillingly Likeness. Inside that last folder were photographs taken years earlier of Alvin's workshop, his patent documents, and his house. This wasn't random violence. It was a vendetta executed with surgical precision. The Crown called it a slow burn of resentment. Prosecutors traced the feedback to the early two thousands, when Garland had worked briefly with Alvin Likeness on an oil field pump prototype. When the patent was later filed under Likeness's name alone, Garland felt erased. In his mind, Alvid had taken not only his idea but his dignity. Family members testified that Garland nursed that wound for nearly a decade, replaying the perceived betrayal like a looped recording. And so when Garland learned through a relative but that the Likenesses were holding in a state sale, a detail that made the news, he saw an opening, a public event, an unlocked door. Investigators believed he planned the attack for weeks. The presence of Nathan didn't deter him. It simply became part of the logistics. When the trial opened it in January twenty seventeen, the courtroom in Calgary's Court of Queen's Bench was silent except for the hum of reporters, recorders, Douglas Garland sat motionless, his expression unreadable. The Crown's case unfolded with clinical precision, blood pattern analysis, DNA charts, photographs of scorched debris. But behind each piece of evidence was the quiet presence of Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, who attended every session. They sat through it, all, the photographs, the testimony, the unimaginable details. Prosecutor Shane Parker's closing words cut through the air like glass quote. This was not spontaneous. This was planned, delibered, and fueled by hate. Three people lost their lives because of one man's bitterness. After just seven hours of deliberation, the jury returned a unanimous verdict guilty on all three counts of first degree murder. Justice David Gates sent in Scarland to three concurrent life sentences with no possibility of parole for seventy five years, effectively a death sentence. By time, your actions are the most despicable the Court has ever encountered, Justice Gates said. In the public gallery, Jennifer O'Brien wept silently, clutching a photo of her son outside a crowd gathered in the winter air. People hugged strangers, others simply stood had bowed. The verdict didn't bring closure, how could it, the bodies were never found. But it brought something closer to peace, the certainty of guilt, the acknowledgment of truth. In the months that followed, Calgary built a small memorial garden in Nathan's name, the O'Brien in likeness. Families withdrew from public view, tending to private grief, while the community learned to live with the absence. The case remained a benchmark in Canadian criminal history, not only for its brutality, but for its endurance. The O'Brien's public grace became a symbol of resilience in the face of unspeakable loss. As one columnist wrote in the Calgary Herald, quote, this was not a story about monsters hiding in the dark. It was about one man who let hatred become his purpose and a city that refused to let him have the last word. For most people in Calgary, the summer of twenty fourteen remains divided into before and after. Before June thirtieth, when Nathan O'Brien's sleepover was a small, joyful moment in an ordinary family's life, and after, when that same night became a wound that would change the city forever. Years later, the Likeness home on thirty eight A Avenue remains, but the house is quieter now. The estate sale sign longne, the walls repainted, the curtains replaced, But those who lived through that time still drive past slowly. Some leave flowers, others avert their eyes. The murders of Nathan, Alvin and Catherine were not only a family tragedy. They became a collective trauma, a test of civic compassion, in a case that reshaped how Canada thinks about justice, vengeance, and forgiveness. For months after Garland's conviction, Jennifer O'Brien continued to make quiet appeals for information about the location of her family's remains. She said it wasn't closure she sought, but truth. Quote. You can't vary grief, she told CBC's The National. But you can ground it, you can give it somewhere to rest end quote. In private, she worked with police on Kadet Ever, dog searches and aerial surveys around the Garland property, hoping for even a small recovery. None came. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police eventually declared it improbable that identifiable remains would ever be found. Forensic experts testified that the bone fragments collected had been reduced to calcium dust. Victims of both violence and fire, the absence of bodies left a peculiar ache, one that rippled through every conversation about the case. The idea of disappearance became as heavy as the murder themselves. Garland's sentence, life without parole for seventy five years, was one of the harshest ever handed down in Canadian legal history, but even that felt inadequate to many. Canada, a nation without the death penalty, had little language for crimes of such premeditated cruelty. Legal scholars debated whether the scents represented deterrence or symbolism, a judicial declaration that some acts sit beyond redemption. For the O'Brien's, it was enough that Garland would never walk free. Quote. He doesn't get to erase them. Jennifer sat outside the courthouse. He doesn't get to go home. End quote. The judges words lingered to quote. In thirty five years on the bench, I have never encountered such depravity end quote. The courtroom was silent, then, not because justice was complete, but because there was nothing left to say. In twenty nineteen, the O'Brien family, joined by hundreds of Calgarians, unveiled the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation field House, a bright, open space filled with the sounds of laughter and play. This is what healing sounds like, Jennifer said at the opening. Her voice trembled, but her resolve did not. For those who covered the story, the emotional imprint was permanent. Reporters spoke of how the case blurred the lines between professional detachment and shared grief. Police officers cried in their cars after long shifts at the Garland farm. Volunteers who searched the field said they still dream of the prairie wind rustling through empty grass. Calgary, a city often defined by oil and optimism, found itself defined for a time by mourning. Yet that morning built something like unity. Churches opened their doors around the clock, neighbors held vigils and parks. When Garland's trial ended, one local columnist wrote quote, we came to understand that evil doesn't need a reason, it only needs space. But we also learned that community is stronger than cruelty. In twenty twenty, three. Nearly a decade after the murders, Jennifer O'Brien told The Globe and Mail she no longer drives past her parents' old home. It's just a house, she said, quietly. They're not there. What remained instead is a memory and the quiet determination to fill that memory with light rather than darkness. Quote. I want people to remember Nathan's laugh. I don't want him to be defined by what was taken, she said. In Kilary's southwest suburbs, just beyond the bustle of Glenmore Trail, the nights are peaceful again, but for money, the image remains. A small boy's pajamas folded neatly in a bag, his favorite game left on the floor, a promise to call in the morning. He never got the chance. The sleepover never ended, but neither did the love that refused to forget him. And that, my friend, is.
Speaker 2: That is an incredible story. It's so deep and tragic and oh just heavy. I have so many emotions about it. About this guy Douglas, the planning how you said it was years of the pictures of the house. He had a folder. He looked up stuff, this is this is terrible And then he plans it for the twenty ninth and just how nothing's an accident kind of thing. That's when Nathan's like, that could have been a deterrent for him the grandchild, Like you did that to the child, because it made me think, this is two thousand you said fourteen was giving law abiding citizen vibes. Have you ever seen that movie?
Speaker 1: Oh, who's in that?
Speaker 2: Who's the guy who played in three hundred? Girard?
Speaker 1: Oh, Gerard Butler?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's all but and Jamie Fox, but he avenges the death of his It's very energetic in the beginning, and his wife and daughter are killed by these two guys, and Jamie Fox gets the guys off, and now, of course, now Girard is going to take the law into his own hands, and he does this methodical way he gets the guy and he records it and it's just like I've never seen the Saw movies, but I'd imagine it's something just morbid and decrepit and horrible. And you know, if he's sick enough to do that, then he had them listen to each other, go, he had them, you know, because that's a deep abysal hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, like, did he who did he kill first? I'm thinking he killed Nathan first. He probably killed Jefron act to make Alvin suffer the most emotionally.
Speaker 2: But even like, yes, that is wow, that's just it blew me away, that is I can't even believe how horrible. And then as a grandmother, you know, it's just like yeah, you know, as a grandparent you can be all like, oh, of course your baby's safe with Grandma and Papa, you know, and that's like the furthest place you would think harm would come to your child. And then Jennifer just doing what a hero? I mean, how do you even say a hero? What a phenomenal person.
Speaker 1: She's just incredibly strong. I've thought about something happening to my child and I would be destroyed, and her, she is destroyed. And it's always amazing to see someone get on with their lives, you know, yes, when such tragedy happens. So I hope Jennifer is somewhere and she is okay. Having the foundation in Nathan's name probably helps a lot, I would think, you know, psychologically, it helps her, gives her a purpose and you know, doesn't allow Nathan's memory to die. And you know, she lost her parents.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised the house still stands. Honestly, it was such a benchmark case.
Speaker 1: I know I'm surprised too.
Speaker 2: But this guy, that's just terrible and it's so heinous. I don't even know how I feel about having this thought thought when you were explaining how Canada, because I do have that view of Canada where I'm like, oh, the Canadians are so nice. Oh hey, yeah, yeah, the little yeah, and so to hear something so awful, I would think, gosh, that sounds more America. Isn't that terrible to think? Like, I'm like, how is it? You know, so have that mark crime that unfortunately we've heard a little bit more of here. To touch something as the you know, Alberta and Calgary who knows, who've known nothing of this depth of depravity is something to heal from. So yeah, the whole area for sure. But thank you. Gosh, I was I was on the edge of my seat. I could barely make any of my inappropriate jokes.
Speaker 3: I know, I know you're like, oh, I'm like, what right, So it was a good it was, yes, thank yeah, It's just that.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, wow, that's just well, thank you for enduring it.
Speaker 1: Miss Shannon, and thank you everyone.
Speaker 2: For listen to endure you. Of course, thank.
Speaker 1: You everyone for listening to this week's episode. And if you haven't already, please hit the subscribe or follow button on whatever you're listening to, and please go to our website Crimes Andconsequences dot com. Also, we have a Patreon, so if you are enjoying the episodes that you get to listen to for free, you could join our Patreon and get an additional episode every week, or you can join through Apple podcast app. So I think that's everything, all the business, all.
Speaker 2: The business and grabbing those extra stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to learn the best episode. My dear, I will see you later.
Speaker 2: I love you girl, I'll love you.
Speaker 1: Bye bye