Speaker 1: It is important you a peace of mind.
Speaker 2: No good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. And today in studio we have the League of Women Voters here with us. And Fran was just here with us not too long ago. And Connie you've been with us time and time again over the years. It's great to have both of you in studio today.
Speaker 1: Happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Let's see League of Women Voters. There might be an election coming up. Huh, thank you think I've heard a little.
Speaker 3: Something I want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: We just might now. League of Women Voters is very active in voter education.
Speaker 1: That's right. And on program chair right now for Bartlesville League. This is Fran and I came on here on October second to tell about an October first program we had where a journalist from the Tulsa World came up and talked to us about dark money in politics, and then he published a research article about it in the Tulsa World.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness sakes. And then we had the judge Alan JENTI is talking.
Speaker 1: About Yes, he came up. He was last Tuesday. Both of these programs were at the public library, and Judge talked to us about the electoral college, which is something we might have learned about in high school civics, I guess, but it's hard to understand. And he did a really good job of explaining that we don't actually vote for a presidential candidate. We vote for our electors and then the governor certifies them and so forth.
Speaker 2: Now, Connie, we've been talking about getting people registered, making sure that they're registered, and there are folks who sometimes think that they're registered, but they might not be. And there's a really easy way to check that out, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Unfortunately, we've passed the deadline. I know that to register or change your registration, but I wanted to let people know that there's early voting on October twenty nine, and you can find out more about that by info at vote early day dot org.
Speaker 2: Now, this early voting has really kind of taken on a life of its own. Many people find it very, very convenient because there are things that sometimes will happen on election day you can't get out of in order to go out and cast your vote, and you know, it just gives you options.
Speaker 3: And it's nice to just know that you have it done, you know. Oh yeah, And it's less crowded, typically less crowded than on election day, so that's another other advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing I like about right here is we go down to the Secretary's office, you know, fourth floor of City Hall, and it's very spacious. You get your steps in and you just don't feel like you're rushed. And the folks are just so very nice and very helpful too. But they are at all the other polling places as well, and you.
Speaker 3: Can find out where to vote that info at vote early day dot org.
Speaker 1: Two. Well, the information about your voting voting place it changed a couple of years ago, and so if you want to confirm both where to go to vote and also to make sure that your registration is valid, because it would feel pretty awful to get there and have them chase you out. But you can just online. You can just search for okay voter portal and it'll come up. You don't have to remember the www. DoD blah blah though that is written out in the voter guide which you can pick up and it tells that. But just search for okay voter Portal all that information is in there and you can make sure that you look it through with a sample ballot. Also, there are maps to make sure which precinct you're in, which ward you're in for you know, a city council and things like that for our local elections.
Speaker 2: Now that's another thing. I think everybody knows we're voting for resident, but city council is right up there too, and that's the government that's closest to you, right.
Speaker 3: And I think sometimes people don't realize how important that is. You know, it impacts all of our lives all the time. So that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Just remember the president, whoever the president will be, is not going to fix your pothole. Indeed, you know you got one in front of your house. You know you're going to have to call a city councilor to get something done, you know, So just kind of keep that in mind how important.
Speaker 1: That is very much. Yeah, and there are a couple of issues to vote on on the ballot also, and it's good to read that through and kind of hack through the legal ease of the wording of it in order to get some idea what it is they're asking you to yay or nay. And the voter guide has that all written out and it's on the portal too.
Speaker 2: That's sure that voter guide up there. Did the camera real quick? There you go beautiful. Yeah, we got plenty of them here at the radio station, and then then you got them at the library and everyplace else. Now, Connie, you were looking for something in the voter guide, what were you?
Speaker 3: I just wanted to make sure that.
Speaker 2: We got it was there.
Speaker 3: There's so much information. There's any question that you would possibly have.
Speaker 1: As the presidential candidates, there's a breakdown of their positions on different topics.
Speaker 3: I think that's especially helpful, and it's it's it's what they said there. Their ideas are. It's not something somebody else, but it's like when they asked the candidates, it's.
Speaker 2: In their work's important.
Speaker 3: We even have picked sures of pictures of people if you want to know what they look like, and just I mean, it's it's really it's all here to stake questions right here, and we've got plenty of them, so we really encourage people to pick one up. I think it's one of the I guess one of the most useful tools that we came up with.
Speaker 2: I think so really it's easy to read, easy to follow, and it's laid out so nicely. It must have worked day and night, night and day and month over month to get.
Speaker 1: That out somebody that yeah, luckily right.
Speaker 2: Now, coming up to of course election day, we've talked about the ease of early voting and folks needed to get their absentee things taken care of too.
Speaker 1: Now there's a deadline for applying for the absent tea and I think the mail in ones have to be notarized, so you need to find out what you have to do about that.
Speaker 2: The portal thing will tell you and so well the guide that's right. Education, You guys really have it all down. This is really good.
Speaker 3: I've been doing this. The League has been doing this for a very long time. Right after women got the right to vote, the League started. So it waste any time, no, And I don't know if we have a little bit more time. I just have this little card that I take with me and we have it. We have voting events, but because sometimes we'll be we're at the library, you know a lot of times, helping people update their registration or register for the first time, which is always exciting, and sometimes people will just walk by. I just remember two times when someone walked by and one said, it doesn't matter anyway, they're all crooks. They said, that's exactly what they said. So I know that for presidential elections most people are certainly they're aware and they're more conscientious, but really it's good to vote at every opportunity. And so I have this little thing that to remind us if voting didn't change anything, we would still have no women's rights, no public schools, no forty hour work week, no social security, no Medicare and Medicaid, no minimum wage, and no consumer protections, no right to health insurance. Those are just some of the things if people hadn't gotten out and voted, and just you know, all you have to do is your part. That's it. But it is really important to do that. As I said, I know it's on people's minds more than when it's not a presidential election. But sometimes the decision that you make and the votes impact you even more in local elections. So it's always a good idea, and we're always here to share information very.
Speaker 2: Good and we do a great job. I want to tell you a lot of folks got truly get informed here over the at least the past several months, especially with your programs and everything in your outreach and everything that you've been doing. And of course, uh, you know, even in between elections, the ladies are really at it and really looking for just about anything and everything in order to reach people and engage.
Speaker 1: One more thing we did this year we raise some money in order to make yard signs that say vote. It's your future because since you had to vote, boy does it No, we don't ever do that, I know that, but it's your future and you're your vote is important.
Speaker 2: That's great. I want to say, is there anything else that we may have missed?
Speaker 3: But you want one of the signs?
Speaker 2: Sure, I will do that. I always remember to vote. But I got a few neighbors I don't. Well, they work at night. They feel like, oh golly, you have to get up in the middle of my night in order to vote. Well, you know we can. We can help you here.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what the absentee voting is, all right right.
Speaker 2: I want to thank you both for coming in and reminding us of all the things we need to be watchful for and pick up a voter guide. Folks, they're all over town. And all over the You know you can just pick one up here anything else.
Speaker 3: The easiest place that everybody knows is the library. Right as you walk in, they've.
Speaker 1: Got a pile.
Speaker 2: Take one, take one, and take another one for your friends and neighbors. Thanks ladies,