Speaker 1: Eddie Dragon A Dennison of New Mexico, Idaho, haunting the Great Southwest. Welcome to the other side of Midnight, Eddie Walter.
Speaker 2: I heard White Sounds earlier in the broadcast, and you know the stuff happening down south. I'm gonna go a little bit further down south than White Sands this evening. But that is an eerie thing that Russ Colhart had to talk about.
Speaker 1: Man Ross is a very smoke man.
Speaker 2: He certainly is, and certainly that's a spooky story. We're actually in between El Paso and White Sands, where, of course the first atomic bomb went off. And this is one of the most egregious, horrible murders that you have ever heard that remains unsolved. And this goes back to nineteen ninety and this continues to you know, every year they bring it out, you know, about the same time every year in February, about the Los Crusis Bowling alley murders and ladies and gentlemen. If you've never heard of this before, this is something of all of the innocent places and of all the innocence that was around it. You can't even believe that this actually happened. Los Crusis is named after the three crosses. That's the city. It's a very holy city, very dedicated Roman Catholic city, but also very near the border, about forty miles north of the border. And it was a Saturday morning back in Los Cruses, New Mexico, back in nineteen ninety. Families were just starting their weekend, you know, Saturday morning, hanging out, businesses opening their doors, and inside the Los Crusis Bowling Alley where I have been and still it shuddered to this day. After that day, it has never reopened. They didn't they didn't, you know, demolition it. They didn't take it down. The Los Crucis Bowl on East Amador Avenue still stands to this day, still shuttered. And it's a crime that unfolded so cold, so ruthless, Walter that nearly four decades later, it still stands as New Mexico's most haunting unsolved mass murder. Now, two men entered the bowling alley that morning. Investigators believe the robbery was their initial objective. The amount stolen was believed to be less than five thousand dollars cash personal checks, and what happened next was beyond a robbery. Because there were seven innocent people forced into a small office that morning, shot and left amid a deliberately sat fire, and you can hear the nine to one one calls in all of this. There were three adults and four children who were moved into that room. The children were these ages thirteen, twelve, six, and can you believe at two years old, it's difficult to say those ages out loud and you think of a two year old or a six year old, because it makes all this brutality impossible to distance yourself from, because we all know children. These were not hard and criminals. These were just you know, employees and parents and children who had just misfortune of being inside the bowling alley at the wrong morning on that Saturday morning. One of the survivors who actually made the nine one one call and you can hear is Melissa Repass, twelve years old. She was shot five times, one of them in the head, and still makes this phone call. She managed to make that nine to one one phone call about eight thirty that morning, and that call brought police and firefighters to the building where they found all the victims in that office. Her courage, despite being shot, saved those lives and ensure that the crime scene was discovered quickly. Three of them survived four deaths. Melissa survived and even though the fire that they set upon leaving had already begun, destroying all of the evidence, and firefighters had to go in. Now, let's kind of be a little bit more exact about law enforcement on this, because this is a crime scene that got completely and over two men carried out the attack. Men were described as Hispanic possibly Mexican, dark complexions, both believed to be speaking fluent English. By the way, the surviving witness helped investigators develop descriptions, but descriptions are not names. They never have a name, even thirty six years later. The sketch not a fingerprint match, but we do have a good idea of what they look like. And back in nineteen ninety the investigative world had nowhere near what we do today. As I talked about Brian Horberger yesterday, the DNA tools, you know, a Q tip, they didn't have anything. You didn't even have the databases, the digital records, no surveillance cameras, nothing, licensed plate readers in the flock cameras, cell phone tracking that we have available to state, nothing, no pings nothing. So the official theory is it's a robbery homicide. Two armed men came for money, murdered witnesses, set fire to erase evidence. And the evidence supporting that theory is pretty straightforward. Money checks were taken, victims were gathered in the office, the office was set ablaze, and that place was never to open again. But here's the question, why kill everyone? Why kill the children? Why shoot them? Why set the fire? And this is where all the theories begin, Walter, and we have to be responsible about distinguishing the theories from the proof. There's an entire movie about this one theory. The killers panicked, stuck them in there. The robbery spotled out of control. Maybe one of the gunmen I don't know recognized one of the employees, not that they were recognized. Maybe the criminals I don't know believed that they had been seen too clearly made the decision to eliminate witnesses one by one, I mean, three of them survived, and the fire supports the idea that they were trying to just erase their trail, But it also raises another question, and if they were organized enough to burn this evidence and set fire to this place, why were they reckless enough to commit an attack that was guaranteed to, you know, trigger a massive police response that wasn't that organized. By the way. Also, another theory could have been more than a robbery, the violence, the egregious violence that they perpetrated on these children. I mean, if all this were true, the robbery could have been a camouflage, a way to make some type of killing appear like an ordinary hold up. And then there's another theory that the government were experienced criminals who disappeared into another jurisdiction, quite possibly Mexico, just forty miles south on that Texas border. Investigators have had to consider whether or not the killers were even local, regional, or just passing through. And if you think about this, prior to the digital area that we have now, those offenders could have crossed state lines. They would have been able to get through border patrol at that time US, you know, the US Mexico border that you have to stop and basic stay, which you are before you get to El Paso. Okay, So finally somebody knows that these murders took place, but it stayed silent all these years. And this is the most plausible explanation as to why that this case has lasted so long without a single name being detailed, without anybody brought in that the two men actually committed this atrocity. And they may brag or confess, and you know, may have been drunk at some point, but they may have confided in other people at some point. But yet to this day, thirty six years later, year, thirty six years later, nothing has actually come forth. I mean, despite the people aging, despite relationships changing, you know, why has this not been solved? The crime scene compromised, the killers left way before the police arrived, and even the investigators, despite possessing physical evidence and forensic science and all this on the DNA and the fingerprints, they never were able to come up with one single explanation as to who these people are thirty six years later, And you know, this is the point to remember tonight, Walter, this unsolved case in Los Cruses in southern New Mexico isn't a dead case. It still remains New Mexico's largest unsolved mass murder. And if you knew somebody in the New Mexico area and Los Cruises between Olpaso and Los Cruses who had unexplained cash or checks or injuries or weapon. They're still waiting for these people to come forward. And this isn't the only mass murder that has happened in New Mexico. We actually had something called the West Mason murders where twelve people individually, not all at one time, but individually that has yet to be solved. Just as well, New Mexico's a dark place. It is a place where you need a true detective. And you know, these mass murders that are unsolved, they're not just in New York like last night, they're also here in New Mexico. Walter, It's well, it's ten.
Speaker 1: Now ed ed Arrogan eds Dragon. What There was no motive ever established for those murders.
Speaker 2: Right, Robbery is the only thing they could actually come up with.
Speaker 1: Was it an office in a bowling alley? What kind of money could we be talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't know, to rent bowling shoes back in nineteen ninety what was that two bucks to have a bowling game? Was that eight bucks? I mean, what would be there? It seemed to be you know, targeted. You know, I don't know if you've been bowling, Walter, but it's one of those places between the video games I sort of grew up in the bowling alley because my parents were in a bowling league. Like most parents back in the seventies and eighties, that was the thing. And you know, there's not a whole lot of money taking place there, so it really, you know, confuses I think the people of Las Cruses and the rest of the nation as to why seven people were shot. The woman who places or the young lady, the twelve year old who plays that phone call. You could listen to the horror in her voice as she's calling that nine to one one.
Speaker 1: And do we know where she is today?
Speaker 2: We don't. Actually I did try to find her. We don't know where she is as of today. No, but that bowling alley still has never been never been reopened open.
Speaker 1: Where your parents in a cash league.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is. I played a lot of pac Man and Defender and those we were put our quarters up on there. But I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: No, I'll tell you what it means. It means that the there are bowling leagues, largely in Milwaukee that are manned by the largest people you've ever seen in your life, and they bowl for cash and at the end of each season, like a school semester, the person with the highest points collects cash, second highest collects cash's third highest collects cash. They pool their money at the beginning of the season, put it in a pot, and then you can win the pot, or the second place in the pot, or the third place in the pot. But it's a cash league, and it can be significant money. It can be a couple thousand bucks. You can pay the rent, pay the food for a month. But they bowl to kill. I have seen these people bowl and they're not telling jokes to each other. They're giving each other the dirty eye. There's no beer being ordered. Maybe a kilbosi, maybe some big hot dogs, but there's no beer being ordered. They bowl to work. They bowl to make money, and it is a stunning thing to see, especially when you make a mistake like I did. I was in Milwaukee, I had time to kill. I go into a bowling alley because it's Milwaukee. You want to embrace the culture of wherever you are. I go into a bowling alley and I look at the guy, said, you know, I want to bowl that. It was like three in the afternoon. The place is empty, one hundred lanes empty, and he looks at me and he goes The league starts at four. I'm like, oh, okay, I'm linking one hundred lanes should not be a problem. And I start to bowl and the goof off, and at three point fifty five the doors slam open. Every door in that bowling alley slams open. The largest people I have ever seen descend upon the lanes, including mine, and they start to bowl. The minut at their feet hit those alleys. They start to bowl, and it was it was terrifying. And now I know why he warned me. I had to get out of there or knives would have been drawn.
Speaker 2: The frenetic pace, I mean, the aggression that you just described. And then you know this prize league that they have with that sounds like lots of money, Walter, So maybe you inadvertently uncovered the motive behind the what the uh the Los s cruses bowling out at alley murders.
Speaker 1: With Hey you Eddie, Eddie arrogant Eddie Dragon, thanks so much for being on the other side of a minute. You're terrific