Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance. HI. This is Jim Rosenhouse and welcome to Guardians Weekly. This week we join you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland where the Guardians are taking on the Baltimore Orioles. They have a seven to fifteen start on Saturday night and then Sunday afternoon a one forty first pitch before they welcome Arizona to complete the homestand Monday through Wednesday coming up a little bit later on. On this week's show, we'll hear from Bob Y Biascio, Guardian Senior Vice President, another at the ballpark with Bobby d. He'll be joined by Cy Bainak, who's being honored on Saturday as part of Hall of Fame ceremonies, along with Johnny Gorel and also c C. Sabathia. We will hear from John Kenzie no Well, Joey Cantillo, and Alex Cobb in addition to our week in Review, which comes your way next after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network, if you're.
Speaker 2: Looking for a new coach, you could cut down on expenses by bundling your car and renters insurance with Progressive. Because you know you've had this couch for too long. Sure you've had good times together, but a ripped up cushion is not a fond memory a sign. Notice how other people have coaches with two armrests. Now that's living right, No, it's just normal. Some bundle year rinders encour insurance with Progressive and put the savings toward a new coach. Please, it's time cogresso keshl Future. It's company coverage provided service by affiliates and their parti in vers not avaiable lital States.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse back with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland. Well, it's been a good week for the Guardians. They open it up in Detroit, the second leg of their five game road trip just completed on Monday night. In Detroit, the offense was rolling early with a first inning double for on Hell Martinez that brought Jose Ramirez to the plate posey manning left handed, no score. Ramirez grounds it by the diving Madris at first down the right field line, kicks off the sidewall. Martinez scores Ramirez in standing with an RBI double. Following Ramirez, it was Josh Naylor down the two to two swung On banged up the middle. There's a base hit that'll score Ramirez and it's two nothing Cleveland. So Josh Naylor gets that weekend off and responds with a base hit to center. He's knocked in seventy three and boyd Is hitting coach Chris Valaika liked this approach. Two nothing Cleveland on three straight hits. Later on in that first inning, Andre Semenez singled that put runners on the corners for John Kenzie Noel. The pitch a swinging a shot in the whole in the left base hit that'll score Naylor. He might have stops it second. John Kenzie Noel makes it three nothing Cleveland, as they have scored three times on five hits. Noel with his twelfth RBI and that's it. Bowl Brisky cannot get Detroit through one inning. Guardians added to the lead in the third inning with Jose Ramirez leading it off the pit. Swung On hit a ton deep left center. Forget about it. Jose Ramirez with a Manet blast into the seats beyond the bullpen in left center and the Guardians have a four nothing lead. Meanwhile, on the mound, Tanner Biby was shutting down the Tiger lineup two down, runner second, four nothing Cleveland. Third inning, the pitch to Colt Keith and he got jam hits a weak roller to the second basement. Imenez throws him out. Man Tanner Baby's locked in Folks four nothing, Cleveland three in the books. We went ahead to the sixth inning, Guardians again threatening two men on and bo Naylor at the plate. Now the one too breaking ball hit a ton deep right field down the line. It goes. This ball is gone, a three run homer down the right field line as bow Nailor went out and hooked a breaking ball and gives Cleveland the blowout home run, seven nothing Cleveland. Nayler with a seventh omer, giving him twenty eight rbies and once again the long ball is back in the Cleveland arsenal. And what a difference it makes when you can hit some home runs with people on. Then Jose Ramirez struck again with an exclamation point in the seventh. The next pitch swung on hit high hit deep to left. Canni's back track wall gone again again. He clears the bullpen again. It's a bomb for Ramirez. He has a two homer night and the Guardians have an eight nothing lead and Jose Ramirez' pat has come to life in a big way. Tonight. Jose Ramirez with two home runs a double. That's his second game this year with two home runs. He had one against the Angels back and Anaheim in May. The Tigers scratched out a pair of runs in the seventh inning, two more in the ninth that made it eight to four and that would be enough as Hunter Gattis was on to finish things up. Gadis with a payoff, a swing and a skyball shallow right center going out. Jimenez makes the catch ball game and the Guardians keep rolling three and one on this road trip. They get a couple of bombs from Jose Ramirez and beat up the Tigers Tonight. Eight to four s a good win in the series opener for the Guardians Monday night, and they would look for the series sweep on Tuesday afternoon. We begin on the mound Gavin Williams. He was looking to build off his previous outing and he looked good early in this one. The pits swinging a miss good brinking ball. William Banks out Rodgers and Gavin Williams is picked up where he left off against Detroit and his last outing. He has now struck out four today. Then in the fourth inning, the Guardians got the scoring started with one big swing from Josh Naylor. Here comes the payoff pitch swung on and that's skied high in the air to right. This one is deep and it's a fair ball home run. Josh Naylor puts the Guardians in front with a towering blast down the right field line, home run number twenty three for Naylor. In the fifth, Tyler Freeman was hit by a pitch to start the inning. Then Daniel Schneman stepped to the plate. Here's the pitch and it's swung on in line down the right field line. Fair ball into the corner. It goes headed for third and slogging around third is Freeman. They'll try and score him, and he will score without a throw as Steman's into second base with a stand up RBI double and the the Guardians are now in front to nothing. The score remained to nothing Cleveland until the eighth. That's when the newest Guardian, Lane Thomas, collected his first hit in Cleveland. Here's the pitch swinging a liner to center field. Base hit number one as a Cleveland Guardian for Lane Thomas. And you know that feels good. You catch your red eye from Phoenix, you get a few hours of sleep. You play in your first game with the Cleveland Guardians. And it took fod bats, but Lane Thomas gets a basin. And let's not forget one thing. He got that basin off a right hander. And the next batter was Jose Ramirez. Now the one two runner goes pitch swinging and rip deep bright field. He's done it again. Jose Ramirez with a laser two run homer to write four nothing Cleveland in the eighth and Jose Ramirez with his third homer in this two game series. The night the Guardians added one more run thanks to Brian Rocchio. Down the two to one pitch, swingon and hammered deep bluff center field. It is done, Brian Rochio. He has his fourth home run, his second this year. Batting right handed man did that jump out of here to the left center Brian Rocchio makes it five nothing. Cleveland. Here in the ninth, third Cleveland home run, and then Emmanuel Classe was on in the ninth in a non safe situation. The pitch swung on the bouncer, a second charged by him and his gloves flips the first bulgie. The Guardians get a sweep, they get a shutout, and they keep on rolling. Five nothing over Detroit Today off day Wednesday for the Guardians. They open up a new home stand Thursday night Baltimore in town a battle of the top two teams in the American League, and jumped in front with a run in the top half of the first inning. But in the bottom of the inning, the Guardians answered. Stephen Kuan let it off with a single. Then Lane Thomas stepped in, making his Progressive field debut. One nothing, Birds runner first, Cleveland batting, first inning, nobody out the pitch, a swing and a liner to the left down the line, fairball into the corner, stooting deferdest Kwan. He's being stopped in in with a double? Is Lane Thomas not a bad way to debut in a Cleveland uniform at Progressive field. Lane Thomas, who tortures left handed pitching. That's why Cleveland went out and got him and right off the band, He's got a double. Jose Ramirez followed with a sackfly to tie the game at one, and then Josh Naylor put the Guardians in front. The pitch swung on line drive base at center field. Cleveland takes the lane two to one. Josh Naylor the seventy fifth RBI and that one two combo is back at it. Ramirez and Naylor driving in runs and Cleveland trying to make this a forgettable night in Trevor Rodgers' debut with his new club. In the third, it was two men on, two men out, David fry looking to do damage. Here's the payoff, a swing and a drive deepluf center field.
Speaker 3: This ball goal.
Speaker 1: David Frye had gone eighteen games without an extra base hit. Hey just hit a huge, two out, three run home run to the bleachers and left center and the Guardians have a five to one lead, and for Trevor Rodgers, a nightmarish Baltimore Orioles David the Orioles got one back with a run in the fourth to make it five to two, but mister consistency on the mound, Ben Lively continued his quest for win number ten. The two to one swung engulfed it high in the air to shallow left center backpedaling is Rochio the shortstop one hands it and there he is once again Ben Lively, six superb innings. In all likelihood, his night is done, but another gallant effort for the veteran right hander who's pitched more and one more here in twenty twenty four than at any other point in his career. In the seventh, another double from Lane Thomas got it started, and then once again it was Jose Ramirez, sending the home crowd into a frenzy, the pitch swinging and ripped deep bright.
Speaker 4: There she goes.
Speaker 1: Another two for Jose Ramirez. Not even Jack Nicholas could hit it two iron like that, and the Guardians have a seven to two lead, and Ramirez has four home runs in his last three games. Jose Ramirez with three more Army eyes tonight, twenty eight homers, ninety arby eyes and yes, Virginia, he very much is an American League MVP. Kennedy. They were not done yet in the seventh inning, as they'd get two more men on and then another blast from bow Naylor. Now the three one to Naylor, a swing and a drive deep brightfield, Hallai back a three run majestic bond are right by bou Nayler and the Guardians with five in the seventh and they now leaded ten to two. Baltimore got the run in the eighth inning to make it ten to three, which was more than enough for Nick Sandland to finish things up in the ninth. Here's the set the next delivery, A swing and a mess ball game and the Guardians win their fourth in a row and they play home run derby tonight a page out of the Orioles book, as Cleveland's three home runs I counted for eight runs and Ben Lively was superb again. Final tonight Cleveland ten and Baltimore three. So another good win for the Guardians in the series opener, and that led to Friday Night's game against Baltimore, game two of the series, and again the Orioles took the lead, this time in the second inning, but in the bottom of the inning, the guard came right back to tie the game with a basis loaded walk to Brian Rochio. Then Austin Hedges followed with a clutch at bat to give Cleveland the lead. The pitch. Swing in a fly ball the right fairly deep toward the line, Suntandre to grab it. He'll make the Cats fried tagging. Here's the throat of the plate, the slide safe, strong throw, but back dooring him on the slide was David Fry slid beyond the plate and slapped it with his left hand. And it's two to one Cleveland. And another quality at bed by the bottom of the order. Then in the fifth, the Guardians added to the lead Stephen Kwan with a single, Jose Ramirez with a walk, and that brought Josh Naylor to the plate. Here's his two to two to Naylor, swung on, popped him up third base side now and down in the shallow left, long run for any one, and that ball drops and it's a fair ball. Two runs will score Quan, followed by Ramirez and Nailor makes it into second base with a bloop double down the left field line. Four to one Cleveland. The Guardians kept at it in the sixth, loading the bases for Austin Hedges. Now the payoff pitch, Swinging a ground ball towards short diving Ivy Henderson base hit left field. That'll score a run. Hem and his scores and hedges with a drawn in infield shot it by the diving Henderson at short and it's five no one Cleveland. Stephen Kuan followed to the bases loaded walk to make it six to one. The bases were still loaded two batters later for Jose Ramirez. The pitch swing in a fly ball medium deep center, Mullins coming in to grab it. Rokios tagging Mullins with the throat of the play, cutoff run scores. Now run down between first and second. Now coming home, and here's the throat of the plate, slide safe pitches scores. He's done it all. You can't stop pure speed. It'll be a sac fly scoring Rokio. What a wild play that was. The Orioles got back in and they scored three in the seventh to make it eight to four. But that's as close as they got as Hunter Gaddis got the job done in the eighth, and Emmanuel Classe did the usual in the ninth. Now the two pitch swinging in the ness ball game. Classe finishes it with a strikeout five straight for Cleveland, and they matched their season best twenty five games over five hundred and regardless of what happens the rest of this weekend. They've won another season series, this one from the Orioles with an eight to four win tonight. So good week going for the Guardians, winners of five straight heading into play on Saturday. Stay with us when we go back. We'll hear from John Kenzie Noel after this timeout on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, Jim rosen House along with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland. That's been a good week for the Guardians. They won five in a row. Everybody on the roster contributing, including rookie John Kenzie Nowell. He's shown big power of late, as his three run home run against the Phillies last Sunday proved to be a difference maker in a four to three Guards win. We caught up with Big Christmas earlier this week and he talked about his approach to that at bat in Philadelphia that led to a game tying home run.
Speaker 3: I mean when I hit that homer, uh, I was talking with a heating coach, so he told me seeing the fastball, you know, and he drove me breaking off a pitch like seventy one col riting. So but my pro was, U say, you know, with the fastball, so I secure that plan name and I got that restor I want.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that, and it seems like pictures are throwing more breaking balls to you. How do you make that adjustment when they do try and get you out more with the breaking pitch?
Speaker 3: I mean the same I say, with my plan. You know, I'm not going with their plan. I just got my plan. I need in steak with my plan, you know. And if I got a do a little adjudgment and I buy that due, but yeah, I just stayed with my plan. If he did throw me something hungry, I want to you know, hear the line drive Russia something like that.
Speaker 1: How much have have you improved in that area since maybe even a year ago at the minor league level. How much of your game has improved along those lines?
Speaker 3: I mean, uh, you know, I work a lot, uh in the off season with the team you know in Arizona, and uh, they had me allot the last off season. So for that reason, I got kind of resort. I have it right now, you know, and uh they work me. You know. It's a lot of process and I stayed with it, you know, and they have me allowed with it, and yeah, now I do it, you know, and I got my resort, So tell them, you know, for hav me a lot, you know, and you know we h for me. That is the best team here, you know, And I feel better it comes out with the team, you know, and I reappreciate it because they have me a lot in my whole career.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and the team just won two out of three in philadelphe the team at the best record in baseball going into that series. How enjoyable was that series for you and your teammates, you think.
Speaker 3: I mean, what's great? You know, Like we say, we have a team for some reason, you know, and there's no matter who throwing or who we face with the best, you know, and we're gonna do the for be them too.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's a nigger meaning, so we never get up, you know.
Speaker 1: John Kenzie, great day yesterday, Thank you for coming by.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: One of the most personable young men you'll ever meet, John Kenzie. No weel and that rookie is having a fine season as part of a very young ball club and staying along those lines. Rookie pitcher Joey Cantillo made his major league debut last Sunday in Philadelphia. It was a no decision for him in a game that the Guardians won four to three. And we caught up with Cantillo a couple of days after the start and he talked about that first time and what it was like to face major league hitters and a really good opponent in the Phillies, who at the time held baseball's best record.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think there was obviously a lot going on in the in the twenty four hours building up to it, and then I think once I got out there and once it was you know, I think being in the clubhouse and stuff before, you know, playing with a lot of the guys that are already in there, and just the vibes that they had, that was a lot of fun. But once I got there, I got out there on the field, I think it was just go out there and exclude on execute on my plan, and execute on what we wanted to do. And you know, everyone here has a good plan in place, so it was a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun, and like I said, I'm just happy we won that game at the end, and that was just a great It was honestly a fun day.
Speaker 1: Obviously, you'd love to blow through the top or the bottom half of the first inning. In that case, you give up a home runner the first bat or so, mindset wise, how did you calm it down so quickly and really get deeper into the game.
Speaker 6: I think I had to. I think obviously there was really no other option. So that's not how you want to start. And unfortunately it happened, but it happened, so you you you process why it happened, and you move on from it, and you you you attack with and you execute on your plan. And you know, we were able to get out of that first inning, which was which was good to get that out of the way. Had a better second inning, and the third inning obviously ran into some trouble again with shorebr and and and giving up that lead off hit the stubbs, But just things I got to learn from and and and and make some adjustments and execute on those adjustments, and I think from there on out, I'm just you know, we're excited. I'm excited to get back out there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a million things that go through your head when you make your major league debut, and in terms of memories, you had a lot of people there, family and friends who were able to show up tell us who was there and what that meant to you that have them there, you know.
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So my parents came out from Hoyi which was great, and my sisters in Seattle, so she flew out. My high school coach, like I said, was in Vegas with with his son, so it just it just so happened to work out. When I called him, he was already a little closer than than being home, so he was able to fly out another high school coach game and flew out. And then my basically my second family, uh, my second family flew out as well from Hooi, which is really great to have them out there. So I had I had a little contingency, which was really nice. And Hoi was represented, so that was a lot of fun enjoy.
Speaker 1: I think everybody has an idea of when they'd like to get here, how they'd like to get here, all that kind of good stuff. What clicked in for you this year that you think put you over the top and and got you to the major leagues.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, I think a lot of things. I think it had been a it had been a longer journey than maybe I would have expected years ago, and thought about you know, everyone has a plan in your head, and I think for me, think ups and downs of my minor league journey and things that went my way, things that didn't go my way, years that went my way, years that didn't go my way. So learning from all those things, and I think this year, I mean just trusting in God and and kind of not really worried about to be not worried about when it's gonna be and and and and and what and why, and just just focus on where my feet are and just be super present in where I'm at, whether that's in Arizona rehabbing my hamstring, whether that it's in Columbus pitching, just being where my feet are and then you know when you're really dedicated to your process. And it's sound seats so cliche, but like for me, no matter where I'm at, it like, I want to be where my feet are, and I want to be in my process because when I'm in my process, you know, that's when the results take care of themselves. But that's that's not what you need to focus on. I want to focus on my process.
Speaker 1: And you're pitching for a really good team. You make your debut for a team that had the best record in the American League. What does that mean and does it make it I don't want to say any easier, but is it comforting to.
Speaker 6: Know that it's It's just awesome to know that. I think I've been in this organization now for a couple of years, so I think it's cool to see obviously all the work and the behind the scenes stuff that people don't really get to see, but organizationally, from the from the bottom up, they do a lot of good things and they have a lot of good people in the building, and I think that contributes to a lot of good things. And then when you get good people in the building that are good at what they do, it makes for a lot of fun. And I think the world's really seeing that with this team this year, and I'm honestly just happy to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Well, great to have you here, Thank you for coming back. Thank you. That's rookie Joey Cantillo, who will pitch on Saturday night against the Orioles. And we go from a rookie to a savvy veteran Alex Cobb, who was acquired at the trade deadline. Cob, in his age thirty six season, hasn't pitched yet due to injury, but he's looking forward to getting on the major league mound soon. He continues to recover from off season hip surgery. Then there were some shoulder issues and a blister problem cropped up in his last rehab start, But when we had a chance to visit with him on Friday, he said he's not very far off and gave us the update on how the rehab's going.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm gonna go through a rehabit Columbus tomorrow night, and then we're going to reassess after that. But I would be I'm very hopeful that it will be you know, five six days after that.
Speaker 1: And it seems like you've had enough rehab assignment starts where you might have a pretty good idea of what your stuff is in terms of preparation, is getting where you like it to be and allows you to be effective at this level.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one of the challenges of rehubs starts is obviously you're still dealing with minor things. I had one outing where I was very pleased with felt very sharp with where my stuff was. And then, to my disbelief, a blister popped up in the second or last pitch of that game, so I had to kind of go through an outing with dealing with that. And so it's been a little while since that game, but just very thankful that this organization, you know, put that out on the table before I even talk to them. Far Hunt filled me in our GM of San Francisco and told told us, told me that that would be the plan with them going forward, just so I wasn't cut off guard. And you know, it just shows the care that they have and the consideration that they want you to hit the ground running. So you know, most teams at the trade deadline when they acquire a guy, they want to get them out there as quick as possible. So for them to just have the presence of mind to make sure that I've gotten everything that I need, make sure that all the injuries are behind me in and out, and you know, I'm very thankful for that.
Speaker 1: And Cleveland has a great reputation pitching wise, aside from what you just mentioned. Were you aware of that much before the trade or has that been something you've kind of caught up on here in the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 7: Oh man, if you know anything about baseball, you know Cleveland Guardians know how to develop a starting pitching and and so that's, you know, kind of a surprise that they're going out there looking for it. But at the same time, if they're coming after you, I think that kind of gives you a lot of bit a lot of confidence going into the situation you are because they have they have faith in what you do. And so I'm very excited that you know, they they went after me and got me at the deadline because you know, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Here, Alex Cops. Joining US trades are not easy. You've been with a couple of organizations in the past. How difficult is it when it first happens, and what are some of the things that you have to do to try and make it comfortable.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, this is the first time in my career I've dealt with an nd season trade. I've seen it from afar, seen teammates get dealt. You know, it doesn't look easy, but you don't really know what they what you go through. I mean, got the call probably at twelve thirty one o'clock trade deadline day, and they asked if I could fly out that night. Needed it, needed at least a few hours to pack the house up and get the family together, and we ended up flying out the next morning. And just you know, I've been very fortunate that my wife stepped up and been a rock star through through this whole situation and just made sure to to have the family here. She packed the house up, found a house here, it's going to find school, you know, just doing everything she can to make sure that the family stays together, which you know, we've we all feel is the most important part of the family. So that's I'm very fortunate to have her and her do what she's doing. So she's made it easy on me. The Guardians organizations made it easy on me. They've made sure I've had everything that I need, everything that I could want getting over here. So so far, it's been very smooth.
Speaker 1: And the hope is you pitch in the postseason, which you haven't done since twenty thirteen. Fans here should remember you if they were good fans and longtime fans of this back club, as you pitched for Tampa Bay an excellent game in the wildcard game that year. What does it mean to you to join a team that is having a great season and has big expectations.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I feel like I'm you know, kind of getting I feel guilty. You know that this team, this organization has put in so much work since February, and you know, I kind of get to cut the line and just jump on a team that's positioned themselves very well to get to the postseason. This this fan base, this uh, this organization, especially the crowd that they get when it's sold out, the energy that they supply the team. I got to witness firsthand obviously that night, and it was very intimidating. I mean, warming up in the bullpen. Back when the bullpens were where the fans were, they were ruthless, so uh, you know I was. I tried to compose myself as much as I could, but you know, I had some nerves going underneath.
Speaker 1: Well, you're on the home side now and hopefully we'll see out there real soon, Alex, thanks for coming back. My pleasure.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That is Alex Cobb, who's looking forward to getting back on the major league mound and we'll see what he can do down the stretch for Cleveland, a potential excellent acquisition at the trade deadline. Stay with us. We'll have our final segment after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 8: Home Ownership a Progressive We know it's part of the American dream. It's sea to shining sea and water damage as far as the eye can see. It's freshly mode grasp an offence that was freshly vandalized by attack of unruly teens. It's also around the clock projection when you bundle your homon audo with Progressive, which can help keep the American dream of home.
Speaker 2: Ownership alive and kicking.
Speaker 8: Get a quote to Progressive dot com, pres in Christatum, couple affiliates and other injuries not beIN.
Speaker 1: Stix WELLcom Back It's Guardian's Weekly Jim Rosen House Back with you from Progressive Field in downtown Cleveland. And on Saturday, the Guardians will honor C. C. Sabbathia, Cy Baynak, and also Johnny Gorel. They will all be inducted into the Cleveland Guardians Hall of Fame. Baynack was a longtime equipment manager for the Guardians, and we dig into the archives with Senior Vice president Bob D Biastio for an old Tribe tale, as Bobby D sat down with cy Bynack and talked to him about his life in baseball.
Speaker 4: Joining me now on tribe Tales is one of the most recognizable names in Cleveland Indians history. Former Indians clubhouse man, mister csy Binack, SI, it's nice to catch up with you, sir. How you handling retirement? But most importantly, how's Mary handling your retirement?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: She's handling good because she's always bumming. She belongs to Redhatner and she also belongs to a home, I mean a nursing place where she goes, so I don't see her in morning half the time.
Speaker 4: The role of father for many players who wore an Indian's uniform. Let's talk about some of those guys. Seventeen managers, hundreds of players you took care of in your forty five years working in that clubhouse.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I had, Like I said, I had several different manager I think David Garcia was probably and Bertie Tevis were probably my favorite because they looked out for me, you know, making sure nobody would take advantage me, especially Bertie. My first year Dukes. Sims wanted to give a bad away and I tell him you can't because we just it was in spring training. I said, we only have so many bats and Bertie heard him talking to me and he says, size right, just don't bother him.
Speaker 4: We're visiting on Trivetales with cydeby Neck former Indians clubhouse man. You had to be nervous when you first started. Was there a veteran player who helped you early in your career?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I my first day in the clubhouse, I was assistant to Ron Kraus and he says, just hang out.
Speaker 7: So it was a.
Speaker 5: Doubleheader and Gary Bell was pitching the second game and he saw that I was nervous. He says, come on to back and talk to me in the trains room. I said, no, I'm not supposed to bother you. You're starting pitcher of the second game. He's no, no, come on back there. So he's sort of he's made me relax and everything. You know, we're talking about what I'm doing there and what I'm going to do for round Kraus. So it was he's either one that made relax me, and ever since we became very good friends.
Speaker 4: Well, that sounds like Gary Bell, you know, and I've known him obviously a long long time, and that indeed sounds like the kind of man Gary Bell is. Let's talk a little bit about some of the players who was on side by a X Hall of Fame list.
Speaker 5: It'd be many. I think tops of list, we have to be Buddy Bell. I mean Buddy. I knew Buddy when he was nineteen years old. In fact, I gave him his first shower shoes. He was in the minor leagues. And Hey Peters was at GM at the time. He says, I want you to go check out Ohio boy, which was Buddy, and he says, watch him play. He's going to be up in the big leagues before you know. And Dayne Kuiper and Rick Manny Manny his his his debut. I almost broke his toe.
Speaker 4: What did you do to him?
Speaker 5: Well, we had those trunks you know, at the at the old ballpark. You know, the clubhouse was small, so I had had to have my equipment trucks outside in the clubhouse, and I was getting somebody on it, and then he realized that Archie put his foot up on it. And the next thing I do, I slammed. Somebody called my name, and I turned and slammed the top of the truck.
Speaker 4: And got right on his foot, right out of his big toe.
Speaker 5: So I had to run and get Jimmy Warfield look at because he was starting that game. And I said, Jimmy, you had feedom going because I don't want to tell the manager. I got him out of the game.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: The one question, who kept, of all the years the absolute cleanest locker?
Speaker 5: I tell you, you know, the cleanest locker would have to be Jack Kralek. Jack Krailek was superb. You know, he just made sure everything he would tell all the players keep a clean locker, so so I don't have to clean up on your But he was one locker I did not have to tell. He was always neat about himself.
Speaker 4: Over the course of your forty five years, which basically nineteen early sixties through the mid two thousands. Here what changed the most inside the clubhouse?
Speaker 5: I think the most that the players got bigger, because you know, almost every club's got now a million dollar exercise room. And in the food the players, it seemed like if you feed him well food, you could have the dirtiest clubhouse but if you've fed them, well, that's all they want. They want eight three meals a day in your clubhouse and they're always looking making sure you give him a good portion.
Speaker 3: Of the food.
Speaker 4: Well, SiO was great catching up with you, sir and on behalf of Indians fans everywhere. We wish you and marry the very very best. Thank you, sieby night, former Indians clubhouse man. Our latest tribe tail.
Speaker 1: And a little blast in the past. Right there, a tribe tale from Bobby d Guardians Senior Vice President Bobbi Biascio, and that's going to do it for this week's edition of Guardians Weekly. Thanks so much for tuning in. As always, thanks to Brian for helping to put together our show each week until next week when we join you from Minneapolis. Big Series next weekend against the Twins. This is chimrosen House reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.