Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services insure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 2: The good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. No co host today. We might get a surprise later. We got Kobe with me today behind the scenes. So Kobe, you're gonna be helping me get through today.
Speaker 3: Yep, you didn't like the super Bowl, you were telling me. No, I mean I did not expect that coming at all. Blowout.
Speaker 2: Who'd you have?
Speaker 3: I had the Chiefs winning because I couldn't bet against Mahomes.
Speaker 2: But yeah, then now you realize you can bet against Mahomes, right, I felt the same way.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: Went to Phoenix watch a game and put a little number on it, just as small because I wasn't too cofugh and I didn't really care. And yeah, from the from the kickoff to the end, it was like, holy crap, what happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Philly was a better team. Yeah, Philly is a better team. I was supprised how Mahomes had no time to throw. I mean, his old whole line is getting dominant, and when he threw it looked like he didn't know what he was doing. Yeah, it was just one of those games. Looked like the Buccaneers Super Bowl. Yeah, I mean, and let me try to put some perspective on this. I do with you kids all the time. So there's three hundred and sixty five days of the year.
Speaker 2: Your life is going to school, right, I don't know what you do in the summer, maybe find a job or maybe. Yeah. How many bad days into three hundred and sixty five days do you have? Are bad? Like bad?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean there's definitely a few and a few give me a number twenty, Yeah, like like ten, twenty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so guess what Mahomes had one of his ten or twenty? Yeah, you know, and he's had a lot of good gays, a lot of some somewhat bad days. He's been able to survive some of those bad days, especially doing a football season. Yeah, and you thought that maybe if even I don't know, maybe after the first orders half you're thinking, hmmm, they still might have a chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only ten to nothing. She's a comeback from this before, right, Yeah, but it was but not even a half. You're thinking didn't have to pull out a miracle. Yeah, it's dominated from the start.
Speaker 2: Right, did you watch are you are you you're not a Lakers fan?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Did you watch your game?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I didn't watch the game. What did you see, Luca?
Speaker 3: He looked, He looked great, the same. There are people saying he was too overweight coming in, but he looked fine. I mean, they're gonna be agreed to.
Speaker 2: It was funny thing. Uh, people in general were saying that he's overweight nose. Yeah, I think even the Dallas ownerships are saying this. But can he still play basketball?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I think yeah, I think he'll be fine. I mean, Luke, that may be that weight maybe big for you or me or whatever by the naked eye, but to him, Yeah, it's called Tuesday. Yeah, it's called Wednesday. I mean he plays that way. Yeah, he's He looked like that last year in the playoffs and he was great.
Speaker 2: And he was he was wasn't the leading scorer of the league last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So your your weight and my weight in somebody else's weight, that says you're overweight?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Not a damn thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's how he plays, It's how he plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, would he be better? We may never know, but he's pretty damn good at the weight he's playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless it becomes an issue where he misses games like Zion, I don't see him like a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right, And that's different because saying it's like when you ask some of the running backs that have come through Arizona and you see other backs in the league who are five to six, five seven, even nooah, he's too small, he's too short. He's do this, do that, but they get the job done. He says, don't you think you'd be better bigger? Well, this is all I know. Yeah, I am who I am. Yeah, and guess what I do pretty well because you accommodate for who you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't change that. You can't change that. And you've played this way pretty much all your life. Yeah, and you've done pretty well for sure. Otherwise you wouldn't be there. Yeah, you know, so we'll see. I didn't see the game. I read about it that he had.
Speaker 2: He didn't have a fantastic game numbers wise, but he I guess Lebron had thirty two or something like that.
Speaker 3: He was on mint restriction and they did play the Utah Jazz. But they look great and they're gonna be a great team, like there are contenders easily Lakers. Yeah, so the world is going to be okay now, yeah, you know for people who are Lakers fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm not a big Lakers fan. As that people know. I want to wear my goal to State Warriors. I think that that.
Speaker 3: The New Warrior tell me I'm Nicks No, no, no, but the New Warrior guy got Jimmy Butler. I think today or whenever they play next, right, he's gonna be on h he's gonna be playing. Yeah, he's been played the last two games. I think they're two and zer with him. Okay, so he started to play two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a fan. I don't even pay attention to that. So so we'll see. I think they're going to be better too, Yeah, for sure. And we'll see how Steve handles him and then the rest of the guys. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The NBA, there's a lot of good teams out there. The West is loaded, so shall see.
Speaker 2: Right, you see that the Super Bowl averaged a record of one point seven one point two seven million US viewers. Wow, and the game was a dud. Yeah, the game was a dud pretty much from start to finish. Did you watch your halftime Yeah? I did you get the halftime show?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I liked it. I thought it was good, not great. A lot of people didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh for whatever reasons, right when they didn't get it because they didn't get it. Yeah, yeah, they didn't get it whatever the message was. Yeah, and I saw it from a distance because I wasn't paying attention. Uh No, I don't know. I don't I don't get into that little rivalry stuff with Drake and oh yeah and Serena and all them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Serena Willing did not expect Serena Williams.
Speaker 2: There right right, And okay, so you're gonna have breaking news later, right yeah, okay, so let me tell her everybody. We're gonna have to ask you callers to maybe get us through today because Dave Silver couldn't come in today at the last second. He might show up at four. We'll see what happens. We wish him well. Everything's okay though, and we're gonna have Reggie Geary at three seventeen. I think he's on the road with the team in Kansas and Big Old Manhattan, Kansas. So we'll talk about what's going on with the team before they played tonight against Kansas State. If you guys heard yesterday, we have the beat writer from Kansas State on yesterday, Arnie Green. So we're kind of getting ready for tonight's game, a big one, the one they could lose. Did you could you check the line?
Speaker 3: Do you know Arizona minus three and a half.
Speaker 2: Minus three their favorite on the road minus three and a half. Well, okay, in Kansas State is one five straight. So I think there's gonna be some some tug of war here. Should be a great game. And then they get ready for Houston on Saturday. Do you go into that.
Speaker 3: I did not get tickets at the time, but I may be paying for tickets.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's the game of the year. Last night we were checking with my buddies, uh some some of the price of two thousand dollars in the prime seats. Yeah, I guess they're gonna they're gonna go higher by that by game time.
Speaker 3: The cheapest one is ninety dollars right now.
Speaker 2: Oh you're already because you've already looked right, Yeah, yeah, we're those up in.
Speaker 3: The hills yeah exactly, Yeah, yeah, you got it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we'll see again if you'd like to help us get through the show five to two oh four one, six seventy four forty again Reggie Geary in the first hour, and then we're gonna have Aaron Crowley between the Color Guard Classic at four seventeen as he gets ready for the big tournament here in about two three weeks here at at La Paloma, the annual event that's a pretty big one here in town. I want to also get some people maybe this week about the Rodeo one hundred year anniversary of the Rodeo coming in this week with people. I think kids are going to be out of school and all that. So two sign is bustling right now with sporting events all over the city that time of year, and the weather I guess is not gonna be favorable.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a little rainy. Really is it windy? Was it wendy coming in in outside? Oh? It was per It was good. It was like perfect from New York. This weather's okay, it's probably snowing like crazy, like crazy it is back in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talk to the parents. Yeah, see, thanks mom for sending me out.
Speaker 3: Here, Yeah, exactly, keeping me out here.
Speaker 2: Okay again, if you want to call five two zero, four, one, six, seventy four forty Uh, let me know what you think about tonight's game. Will they win? Will they cover? We'll say, see, I don't think that Townsend is expected to play, at least I don't. I don't know that for sure. But Bruce kind of assumed that he was not going to start and today starting lineup, uh, and then did well without him against Texas Tech. What did you think about that game?
Speaker 3: On that game, they look they look great. Trying to think who's the leading score.
Speaker 2: That Henry had fifteen? Oh, Caleb had sixteen. Uh, Henry had fifteen sixteen season high twenty nine minutes. A walkout was fantastic. Oh yeh je and Jy and Bradley had some. It was a it was a team effort. But the most impressive thing in the game for me was Henry's performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was That was a great game. It was wire to wire. Basically, they look great.
Speaker 7: Love.
Speaker 3: Bradley played well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well sorted kJ after he stopped turning the ball over.
Speaker 3: Yeah in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta call Yeah, please Hello, Hello, you're on the airline the ball who says, hey, Steve, this is done.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 7: You guys doing it?
Speaker 2: Are you all right?
Speaker 9: I got I got two things. When Arizona went to BYU Airic that one, this is the one when they're gonna lose.
Speaker 7: This is gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 8: And then Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: Did you feel that way against b YU?
Speaker 7: Not really.
Speaker 9: I figured, you know, b YU to me athletically, like across all sports, is they're gonna come and they're gonna get after it. They're gonna play you, They're gonna play you hard. They remind me of the Stanford Athletic Department across all sports. They're gonna you know, they're gonna come. They're gonna come, and they're gonna come to ready to play.
Speaker 7: But I didn't.
Speaker 9: I didn't think. I figured, you know what, we're gonna out athlete them, and I think at the end of the at the end of the day, Arizona's gonna win. And the same thing with Texas Tech. I'm going that one was close the first time and we ended up they ended up losing at the end.
Speaker 7: So you know, all things you know.
Speaker 9: Being equal, what what what is always The common thinking has always been home court advantage is worth ten points.
Speaker 2: Ten point. I thought it was like six to me, but.
Speaker 9: Well, to get the point it used to be it used to be ten. I think maybe the talent pool is spread out more because I mean I was always I've been the last couple of years, you know, with a ten point win, I've always been kind of frustrated with that, Like they only beat them by ten. But if, okay, if if a home point home court advantages were somewhat between six and ten points, Arizona had Iowa State by twenty for a while, Yeah, they ended up winning by what what was that one?
Speaker 7: Fourteen? Take away six?
Speaker 9: That means that means they have they should have the ability to win over there.
Speaker 7: By eight or so? No six or eight? No, why not?
Speaker 10: Why not?
Speaker 9: They didn't know Iowa State?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, sometimes numbers right now.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 9: So in that, by that thinking, Arizona has absolute zero shot to win in names are if they if they win there, that it would be the most colossal upset of college basketball history.
Speaker 7: That's what you're saying. Arizona has no shot.
Speaker 2: Let me say no, no, let me talk for myself. Senor if they beat Okay eight, if they beat Iowa State up there, that would be a nice win, not a surprising win. But I was assuming that Iowa State would probably be a four point favorite if they went on the road. In that situation, I'm sold on this team. It wouldn't be a colossal No, this team is fairly good, now that I can say this publicly. But no, just because he'd beat them by fourteen or whatever, No, No, it's how you play that day I away, it's still a heck of a game, a heck of a team. No, No, So don't don't go and put words on words are important.
Speaker 9: Well, well, and that's that's like Kansas State. Now, I mean, what are they won game over five hundred, But they've won five in a row. They've won five in a row, so so they have that one word we don't talk about. The thing is is the five games before that they lost all of those?
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, so you know, and and and the funny.
Speaker 9: Thing is is like everybody you know before the season started, we're going, you know, if Arizona goes fifteen and five in.
Speaker 2: The league, huge, they're gonna be good, huge.
Speaker 9: Top four, top five, whatever.
Speaker 7: But Okay, so.
Speaker 9: There what are they now? Ten and one, eleven and one?
Speaker 7: Where's the four? Where's the four losses?
Speaker 9: I mean they're gonna be I think they're gonna be in every game and like the Iowa State game should be close because they're two good teams. Right now, Arizona's played the Arizona has played their way into being considered a good team. Yes, are they great? Are they great team?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 9: Are they a great team? The next eight or ten weeks will tell us.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 7: So, so there's that.
Speaker 2: You know, so you had two points, So what was your other point?
Speaker 9: The other point is Luca has never been a madonnas.
Speaker 7: He was never godlike.
Speaker 9: He came into the league with baby fat and to me, I'm going, he just looks like an older baby.
Speaker 4: Now, so what's the difference.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like him and then and the guy from Denver. You, I mean, these dudes, aren't they' but you know what they do? They played basketball very well. They just played basketball.
Speaker 9: They're you know, it's funny because they look like they're like what you know, call like like like farmer strong or farm strong whatever they call that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: They just they come in and they play and so I don't know why people would say that he was fat, well, because it's I don't pay attention because I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's kind of like our definition of what that is. But I'm sure you saw white man can jump a number of years ago. This dude with his hair that and he looks like this slub and all of a sudden he plays with this other guy. I forget snipes and they pull off wins. You know what I'm saying. Looks matter, but they really don't. But they really don't. It's like when Jay and now when I Jay and I used to get in these fights. You know, uniforms and how you look. Crap. Hell, no, give me a player. I don't care what the hell he wears.
Speaker 7: He No, that doesn't matter.
Speaker 9: Now if he's does he is he getting injured because of stress on his knees. Well, he's a big man, and it doesn't matter if he's you know, a few pounds slider. Is that going to make the difference on those big, big joints on a on a big, you.
Speaker 7: Know, strong person.
Speaker 9: Probably not.
Speaker 7: It just might be that you know, he can't take the stress.
Speaker 2: And he's he is twenty five years old.
Speaker 9: Luca's only twenty five. I don't pay attention to the NBA game, so not these uh, these uh European players. I have no no clue as to.
Speaker 7: Any of them.
Speaker 6: Years.
Speaker 9: I know that that when Banyama guy is, I know that wehen Banyama guy is.
Speaker 7: Like fifteen or something.
Speaker 9: But in five years, in five years, I'll forget about it because I will have heard his name so often I would have go, oh, I thought it was thirty two.
Speaker 2: Hey, don we gotta we gotta go. Thanks for arguing me for the first happy of your question. All right, thanks Matt, I appreciate it. Thank you, Ben, You're too I would go to take care. We gotta go because we're gonna get a hold of Regigary here for the next ten to fifteen minutes. Thanks.
Speaker 10: Now, your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Check that's check entered right now. Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 12: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, too world class entertainment, to a luxurious resort discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 3: So Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 13: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 13: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 15: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget our corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 16: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b k Ninez two nine four two equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrix syon credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change.
Speaker 8: Don't notice?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 17: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 2: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 17: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 15: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Baccall five two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 11: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot Com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game aim like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Keno Sports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch your league baseball talent from around the globe feel the excitement is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China, and Columbia take the field. Whether you're a lifelong fan or.
Speaker 6: Just looking for an unforgetable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March. Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com. That's SASFA dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 13: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 10: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to an on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera on the phone. Now we have former U of A guard Reggie Geary, now on the color analysts for the radio show on twelve ninety Reggie, how are you? How are you?
Speaker 3: Reg?
Speaker 2: Did you Trumphy Tom? Reggie? You there? I am okay, great date. How you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm good man, I'm good.
Speaker 2: How the to going flaying?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: How the road's up in your area?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 8: Clear, right now, clear, right now. It's called out here a little little little snow. But uh just like like you know, intermediate you know, light droppings or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's called snow. I know we don't see it very often down here.
Speaker 3: So you you, uh you you were an athlete here for did you did you like the schedule?
Speaker 2: The Thursday Saturday? Maybe an occasional long day. These games are long waits.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, you know obviously as a player and as a coach, you know, you kind of want to kind of want to get to the games, and so the Thursday Saturdays seemed to be a nice rhythm back in the day. But yeah, we have longer breaks in between now and so, uh it just it just makes you be patient and gives your body a little more rest. But I know players and coaches they want to get to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, is it a I don't know, is it a benefit for the individual because they can get some rest or is it more anxious, like you say, let's just play?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think it's a little bit of both. I mean, obviously, coming into the Big twelve, we know we're going to do a more physical league, which it has been, and so that extra day of rest has been good. And so yeah, you kind of can look at it both ways. But I'm sure staff wise, you know, I'm sure they're happy that when guys are banged up a little bit, they got that extra you know, twenty four or forty eight to kind of get them right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think you and I have had this discussion Pebbe on the show not too long ago, maybe two months ago, and I said, in my time, and I've been here before you got here, a little before you got here, the Arizona teams aren't normally known for being physical. And if I were to go back, and I would say one of the last ones. And I'm not saying this because you're on the show maybe ninety six, you REOs JB. You know who else was the back court with you and that group, that group was like to mix it up, And since then, it hadn't been too many mix it up teams until now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I think I always we always kind of go back and forth with that a little bit, you know, I definitely think it's a little bit of West Coast bias that since we since we're out here with all this son and that we're all just kind of at the beach and we just don't want to play physical, And I don't necessarily believe that's the case. I can't even go back to twenty you know, two thousand and nine, twenty ten, when I was an assistant coach for coach Olsen and we had Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill and Nick Wise and that gang, and man, there was plenty of tough guys. But I do remember specifically that year it didn't matter what Chase Buttinger did, and he was going to be considered soft in San Diego. So I think it's more perception than reality. You know, we've been in a league program for four decades, and we didn't do that by playing Patty Cake like. We've been physical. We've played big time schedules, and I think I think we've had physical teams.
Speaker 2: So how do you like the toughness of this team?
Speaker 8: I like the toughness of this team. I think it's taking a while just for maybe for coach Lloyd to kind of have these guys understand and realize what exactly, you know, what being physical is what Big twelve basketball looks like. And you know, ever since we can go back to Lubbock, the first time the team went through Lubbock and lost that game up there, their last loss, you know, that was a teachable moment where we got pushed around the gym. TJ. Toppin obviously was dominant that night. I believe he was like twenty and sixteen, but just controlled the game from a physical standpoint to now looking at you know, our last game versus Texas Tech, where we were the dominant team, we were the more physical team, and so I'm really liking you know, obviously they Sar and his attitude and what he's bringing to the game. That's been fantastic. Toby Alwaka is the strongest guy on the court almost every single night, and he has been absolutely fantastic. And then when you look at the guards, you know, you look at you know, Bradley and love kJ Lewis, you know, these are physically imposing guys that can really physically impose their will on people, and they're doing a better job of that.
Speaker 2: It's funny your guard and historically here at Arizona. You know, Lootstans were a guard oriented. You guys ran ran the show. If you guys were good, the team was good. I'm not going to say that that's the case with this one, because if Henry's good in Milwauka is good. This team has been fantastic.
Speaker 8: No, they really have. And so you know, the nice thing about Arizona's wins and the street they're on a six in a row and thirteen in the last fourteen, has been it's been a team effort. You know that they've got really good contribution to that of some of their starters, but the bench has been spectacular. You know, kJ Lewis and Henry Basari and Carter Bryant making up. You know, the heavy minutes from the bench have been really good. But for Arizona to be successful, they need all eight guys to really play well, and we're getting that right now. So it's just been really nice to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, no question, it's been no And I called it the last two games, the last two big victories, a sprinkled game, because you get sprinkles from everybody, you know, little this, little, that, little that from.
Speaker 8: Everybody exactly exactly, so it makes it. That's what makes it so dangerous. You know, you know what Caleb's going to bring, and he's been He's been great, you know, the last four games, averaging nearly twenty one points, fifth of the league in scoring. So you know, as the former player of the Year, and you know, going back to last year in the Pac twelve and now you know, probably projecting out as a first team All Big twelve, you know what you're going to get there. But you know, Jaden Browley's giving you some card, of Bryan's giving you some night Basar. You know, it's just it's, like you say, it's sprinkled around, and when it's like that, you can't really focus on one guy. So it makes it just makes Arizona so much more dangerous.
Speaker 2: Let me make this comparision, and it just kept popped into the mom I haven't really thought about it much, but either comparison or comp with you and kJ kJ is not that much of a score. You weren't because you didn't shoot that much. You were more of a of a ball handler, kind of defensive guy. Do you see does do you see a little of you and him?
Speaker 8: Most definitely, especially in both our ability to kind of affect the game without scoring.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 8: Having said that, kJ, at this point his career is probably a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Score.
Speaker 8: Keep in mind kJ is a two. I was a one who could play the one, two and the three, so and so we're a little bit different in terms of position wise, but our ability to get hands on balls to take certain individuals out of games. I see a lot of similarities there. So you know, he's somebody. Obviously as a defender, my eyes gravitated to really quickly when he first got on Campra's like, whoa, this kid has a chance to be an elite leat defender and uh and panning out that way.
Speaker 2: So so when you're when you can play the one, two, three, but mostly a one, and he's kind of like a one, two more two. He's a kind of bowl like you do you is there an emphasis or you just kind of just play? You know, I got a score or I got a defend or their you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, No, I think we just I think he kind of has the same mindset I do. We just play, you know, we just play and what happens happens. The main focus is winning and I and I and I see that with him. You know, he he's a winner. He's a guy who wants to win, so he'll do whatever it takes. Dive all loose balls, you know, have maybe twenty points or one game, have four points. Whatever a coach Wooden Staff needs from him. He seems to be that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I've already asked you you like this team, can you talk real quick because you're with the team now. Uh, the job that kind of Tommy has done and turning this thing around from two months ago.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, there was obviously two months ago we were sitting i believe maybe even one game under five hundred or maybe one over, and there was a lot of concern ncies on about you know, just the makeup of this team and and kind of how how were things gonna go. Everyone's talking about maybe this is going to be.
Speaker 3: A long season.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, to Tommy's credit, you know, they made some adjustments in terms of you know, u of starters and coming off the bench. Obviously moving kJ Lewis from from a starter onto the bench really seemed to kind of be that that magic term for the team where you know, you had you had a guy like Anthony del Orso in the starting lineups a comfortable natural position for him. He had Trey Townsend he was starting, and so these guys are a little bit more comfortable. And now we found that. We found out uh oh, hey, we got a bench here of kJ Lewis, Carter, and Henry they saw with combined them with Jayden Bradley and Katab Love as a second unit. Man, there's not a better second unit in the country than that. And so we were able to see that. You know, after the first five ercent events, we were able to extend on leaders or get back in the games, and it's just been a lot better chemistry. I think the guys have fed off that and they're just playing very, very good basketball right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, there's lots of Like I totally agree with you. I asked this question of most of the people that come on. You have some experience, not something you have a lot of experience. Okay, So, and I don't remember ninety four, you guys were standouts with Damon and Kalid and yourself and JB those guys. So you guys were pretty depth. You know, you had some good depth. Okay, So now they're in the rough and Double Big twelve. We all know what's physical. We've seen it firsthand on the road and at home, and you've gone through eighteen nineteen twenty games of this. Then you go to the tournament, the Big twelve tournament, maybe get physical in that thing. Now you have to get ready for the big, big dance. Do you think that physics over the time takes its toll.
Speaker 8: It definitely takes this toll, you know, without question. And I think that's universal throughout all the lease. I'm sure an the SEC they're beating each other up right now and AC and Big East, and so everybody is kind of going through it where you know, we kind of laugh as players, like no one's healthy at this time of year. But that's the million dollar question. Is Ken your program or Ken Arizona withstand that you know we've already seen last game, Trey Townsend was out with a concussion from the BYU game. A couple other guys were nicked up, and so it's forced Tommy to adjust, you know, the pretty harder Brian the starting lineup. So you definitely you're definitely feeling it right now. Can you get through the season. You know we're gonna find out. You know, we still have nine games, nine really tough games here in the Big Twelve, still have the Big Twelve Tournament, as you mentioned, and so you know, you really have to take stock of kind of where you're at all the time, just because you're constantly getting beat, You're causing these physical battles and it's just you know, it's kind of a wait and see, you know, if it's going to be too much or just an right.
Speaker 2: Well, that said, I want to put some perspective on it because you know, guys like being on radio or in the media, we're overweight dudes who don't play the game. We write about it, We asked, ask questions, get reactions. You guys are the players eighteen nineteen, twenty twenty one years old. This is what you do. I mean, you play basketball, right, whether it's physical or otherwise. Yeah, I mean, is there is there is there a bad question in there where? Okay, it's it looks rough for us, us normal people, but you guys aren't normal people playing basketball?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, I mean these guys are built for this. You know, if I go back to my own career, I play you know from sixteen to thirty two, right, you know, I never took off two weeks and so I was constantly in shape, constantly, you know, just staying prepared. And these guys are the same way. The young kids have come through AU ball where they're playing just as country, international and everything, and put the weight on and just the rigors of every day college being in the Division one athletes, so that, as you mentioned, they're built for this. Yeah, and so yeah, you just kind of keep your head down and realize that's what it's all about and just enjoy the ride.
Speaker 2: Well, enjoy the ride, stay warm, we'll see. I think it's gonna be a great game tonight, No.
Speaker 8: It really is. You know, Kansas State really quick, you know this is a good basketball team. Yeah, that you know, Kim Palm saying is one of the best, is one of the hottest teams in the country, along with Arizona. They've they've kind of figured some things out, shortening their bench, you know, they're playing better on both endo the floor. So tonight tonight, and I think it's gonna be sold out. I'm anticipating that it should be. It should be electric, and it should be a really good game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, enjoy enjoy what you do I'm sure a lot of people will be listening to you guys.
Speaker 8: Thanks man, awesome, Steve, thanks so much. Man, always a coming on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Richard as Reggie Gary. Let's go to commercials. I think we might have had one come on previous early. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach listens from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 18: Hey Wilc at Nation Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month if you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four A DOHO three five five one four four four four A DOHO three five five one.
Speaker 15: Four four four what's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. Femal Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goal affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu.
Speaker 2: Slash someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof. They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Temple or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 8: Where do you.
Speaker 2: Buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 17: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitnessically from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your help and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health from.
Speaker 4: Lead Nitch and Exercise Equipment.
Speaker 8: On twenty second, just west of.
Speaker 2: Wilmot, Tucson.
Speaker 15: It's time for the Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Weston La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisodor's Helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to join.
Speaker 15: Us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coet Sol live in concert at Riedo Park. The Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com.
Speaker 2: This that is brought to you.
Speaker 15: By fall Bomb Crowley Investment Group at RBC well Management.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is more. Let's piece mean more money in your pocket, Let's hale means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund spectrum Peerramid Federal Credit Union where less is More federally insured and by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 10: Breaking down all the access and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Kobe Ricking Machine here you go on to call five two zero, four one six certay four forty. If you want to be like don go ahead and argue with me. I'm a cool then. But as my boy Merced said, don didn't know what he's talking about. But serious, Uh, just Iway State. We'll get to that when we get to that game. But Arizona's gonna have a bumpier road than it had in the first ten eleven games, having to go to Iowa State, having to go to Kansas Houston plays this weekend tonight at Kansas State.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: But but they're starting to convince me that they're a pretty good team.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Crevious going out may have been a blessing in disguise. Henry has been bonkers good. Uh not all the time, but most of the time. And a Waka has been pretty consistently good, and everybody else has kind of filled the holes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean everyone stepped up. Lasking versus tuxt Tech really a balanced win. Yeah. If Creevous doesn't go out, we don't get this great season from Vasar.
Speaker 2: We don't get it right.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Sometimes things happen for a reason.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that girl you're not gonna meet tonight is a good thing. Yeah, so listen to my advice. Son. Yeah. Uh so we'll see The game starts at six o'clock on ESPN plus. I should be a packed crowd at Kansas State, even though the whether there's gonna be what it is up up there. So we'll see, and then Houston comes on Sunday or Saturday, I'm sorry, at noon, which would be an easy sellout. Kelvin Sampson returns. I hope to get him on the show here, but they practiced at the same time the show was on, and he's not able to come on. I wanted to talk to him about the google days of the PAC twelve or PAC ten at the time when he was at Washington State and doing fairly well to get a job somewhere else and then go to Oklahoma and then Indiana and now Houston getting a little trouble with the NCAA at Oklahoma and Indiana I think it was. So we'll see them on Saturday. We get a call, cool, got a call, Hellho, you're on the air, andine the mall. Who's this Hi, Steve? How you doing Howard? What's the word?
Speaker 3: The word is?
Speaker 4: I just went to the casino to get my really crumbs of of winnings for betting in Philly. Yeah, and of course I saw the spot and I remember the guy that called yesterday, the guy that covers Yeah, yeah, he said five and they're definitely winning. If I had a bunch of money, I would put a I would put up to a dime otherwise, not a nickel. You know what, there's a code word for that's how that's how confident that I am.
Speaker 2: You would take the Wildcats, you would take the Kansas State. I would take the u of a Yeah.
Speaker 4: And by a minimum of what that guy said, and I'm gonna say I would say even that it's going to be closer to eight.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the one reason. Okay, they're on a little roll and they beat a couple of teams, but Kansas is nothing. They're they're not even in our top five in this conference. They're not playing that great. But they do have a good defense. But their offenses and is really miserable. It's like thirty eighth in the country. But they have a good defense anyway, And also, uh, what was I gonna say? Oh yeah, I also wanted just to jump to Houston. I just and they've lost you know, they lost six games in a row before that. Yeah, so yeah, you know, the bottom line is there. They're fifty five hundred in the conference and they have won over five hundred.
Speaker 2: So you're saying the Arizona by eight, Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: I got I got another big, big one. I think it's a possible thing that they're gonna put the Houston Arizona might move to the National Game maybe, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't heard that. I haven't heard that. You know that more tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard ab.
Speaker 8: I'm just guessing that's all.
Speaker 2: I Well, it's a twelve o'clock game. I'm assuming it's gonna be on CBS. I haven't really checked the schedule, but I know it's gonna be a big game. The ticket prices you have, you have you have access to tickets, don't you I have.
Speaker 4: Access to tickets, but I don't have this one. But if it's on the regular TV, I'm I don't even know what I'm gonna do. But I actually want to get in there because it's going to be electric like the Iowa State. It's I don't think it's gonna you know, let let let you down.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's gonna be a fantastic game. Like I said earlier in the show that I saw some tickets going for like two grand right in the middle.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but you get but you could get cheap tickets. Still on cheap tickets, you know what I mean, looked about four or five days ago.
Speaker 2: Tell me what a cheap ticket is to me.
Speaker 4: A cheap ticket is under one hundred dollars up high.
Speaker 3: I think you had said that, right, What do you say, Yeah, I saw one, but it's expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were, Actually they had some. They had some available in the sixties, seventies and eighties too.
Speaker 2: Better get it now because he's going to be sixty seven or eighty in a couple of days.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Anyway, okay, okay, Well it's going to be on national TV though. Okay, well, that'll be.
Speaker 2: Even more Congress on your winning with the Eagles.
Speaker 4: Everybody I've been, sixty percent.
Speaker 8: Of people were on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not so much in Philadelphia, but they just didn't want to see Kansas City win.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, but the people of the wise guys, Yeah, like Steve Rivera, No, I.
Speaker 2: Went with Kansas I went with Kansas City on a whim and then a dumb prayer. Yeah, so it is what it is. Okay, Okay, thank you, thank you having a good day. Yeah, Okay, has got a funny message. I can't do that. Sorry, I can't do that. We got about ten minutes. If you guys want to keep calling, uh, if the guy wants to call who just texted me, that's fine too. Let me know how you doing. I haven't heard from you in a while. I haven't heard from Gabe either. Gabe has been kind of missing in action. Nico. Did you go to the game last time? Nico and anybody else who went to call? You know, Money, mister Money, Team Money, whatever. What about tonight's game? I really don't know if I feel good or bad for this game because I just don't have I just don't know how good Arizona is. They proven me wrong a lot, although I did have them to be to Texas Tech on Saturday by eight or nine, and I think they won by nine. In fact, at orosperg gassed me. What did I think I was gonna? I was gonna? I said, they've been between eight and ten, and exactly what happened happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a lot can happen in this game on the road versus a hot team. Yeah, well see, I expect their on it to win to cover what has to happen for them to win, what has to happen. I think Bradley needs to have a good game and Love. I think the backward has to play well, especially on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've been kind of doing that. Love Love is so hot and cold that you almost don't even want to factor in because you don't know which side you're gonna get exactly, and if kJ kind of shows up. He was hot and cold on Saturday, you know, the first three possessions or first five minutes, he had three turnovers, his hand looked at whatever the hand was, and then he comes up with fifteen points on a few baskets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I hope the Loreso plays well. He's been Yeah, he's kind of like not the X factor, but he needs to be a factor. Yeah, he has a been a factor in the big games. He struggled for sure. Yeah, especially the physical games. Yeah, he's a non factor.
Speaker 2: I still like the way Henry Henry to me last game, and I didn't ask Reggie this, but he was fantastic because he looked beat. He looked beat tired, and he still came up with huge plays even though he looked like he couldn't go anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when he gets tired, you can put a walk in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well they were playing together, so you know. And then, uh, Brian didn't have a great game, but he had a capable game to fill in for Townsend and and he's pretty much replaced Townson anyway. Yeah, got one another call. Who's there? This is Design the Ball.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's Bill. Hey, Bill, you said you couldn't do what I wanted you to do, so he was asking me to call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good observation though on your text. So what do you think about tonight?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: I think we're gonna win. I really do, because I think it's gonna be closing. Think it's being a great game, because I think our bigs are playing great. I think Katab's got some more confidence. Our defense is gonna be good. It's gonna be a tough environment, it's gonna this is what we've been looking forward to going into the Big twelve, right right.
Speaker 2: It's funny. It's funny because you've been following the Cats for a long time. You're a native I think you're a native. The buzz now has been escalated to a great degree. I can't remember it like this the last couple of years, because that expectation was big. For the last two years, you know what I'm saying, they were already expected to do well. Yeah, because they didn't do well. And now here you are, the expectations or the buzz is great.
Speaker 5: I agree, I agree completely. We got like you said, we've been sprinkling really well, you know, and for years and years and years we required our guards to play good or Brian Williams to play good or something like that, you know, Derek Williams to play good.
Speaker 6: But you're right.
Speaker 5: We have many people that can have a game and really get us over the age. So that gives me a lot more confidence, right.
Speaker 2: Right, my guy. Yesterday Quinn was talking about in my story, I didn't even mention Caleb Glove. I didn't have to mention Caleb Glove and they won.
Speaker 7: Right right.
Speaker 5: So I'm excited on my way home from flying so I'll be home in a couple of hours, gonna watch the game, excited about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you have did you have the winner in the Super Bowl or no, did you bet it.
Speaker 5: You know, I didn't. I didn't play so bet this year. I kind of didn't care. I was kind of rooting against the Chiefs just because I was ready to see somebody else. But the Eagles have been there recently too, So yeah, I was. I was in New Orleans close to the Super Bowl and it was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So uh, I'm glad it turned out the way it did.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Chafe travels back enjoy.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, Bill follows he's the one that texted you earlier. So cool. Anybody else we got we had about five minutes before we have to say goodbye for this hour, and then you're gonna do breaking news, probably short breaking news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of short.
Speaker 2: And then we're gonna go with Aaron Crowley, uh, the color Guard Classic Tournament director. It starts hearing about three weeks, one, two, three, About three weeks you're at La Paloma. The annual event brings some of the top older golfers in the country. Okay, anyone, anyone else want to call, Just give us a quick shout out here in.
Speaker 3: The next minute or so so we can get you on what else, anything else?
Speaker 2: What do you think that happened.
Speaker 3: I have I asked you, I think we went and cover, but anything happen, said, and you said, what three and a half? Three and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a big number. I don't know which way to go with it. I wouldn't know which way to go with it. I did have, like I said, Arizona over Texas Tech minus the points. I just thought they would be in the home game. It's just so tough to overcome, especially here. And did you go to the game, so it was rocking? It was it was rocking and you went to the game.
Speaker 3: I went to the Duke and the Iowas say.
Speaker 2: And those those games were rocking until they weren't for Duke, you know, right, because they were in it until they weren't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think this is more expensive than the Duke game right now in Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which doesn't make any sense, but that's how it is this late in the year. Yeah, because what's today for eleventh twelve?
Speaker 3: So like that eleventh in a month, in a month, four straight, four short weeks. The tournament's gonna start, Yeah, you know, the big Big twelve tournament and then the n C Double A tournament. I'm hoping they get sent to Denver so I can be able to get to go. Otherwise I'm not going. Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody else, anybody else want to give us a quick call? Got like four minutes left in the hour. You were talking about Luca, anybody somewhere? Funny texts coming in? Then you sure what they say? See the waste management? Yeah that was I watched. I went to Phoenix this weekend to to watch the game and to play a little and and h yeah I watched. I wasn't too much into it. I know it's crazy. You said you wanted to go but you couldn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Very expensive. Yeah, it was Debtree one. He was plus six thousand.
Speaker 2: To win right after the Sunday, right after the after the Saturday, from the beginning. Oh was he six thousand at the beginning? Oh wow, yeah, Oh that's a good number. Ten bucks on that gets you what? Yeah, a few thousand.
Speaker 3: I heard the security was like harder this year, like you couldn't do as much stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because of what's happened in the past. It's crazy on the mud fun and yeah, drunkenness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you hear that? One of my friends told me, great vine, your kids drinking so much. I don't know if he's a reliable source.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, the color who says I am and I am gonna go to the to the Cold Guard Classic. Maybe we can hook up to the person who texted me, so we'll see. Yeah, I'm not sure what day though, Saturday, probably that Saturday, maybe Sunday, Okay. Yeah, it's a lot of fun, especially if the weather's great. It's a great day to be out watching golf, uh, walking the greens and then you know, maybe get into a tent or two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you been. You haven't been this show on your second year?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I haven't been. Definitely one to go. Yeah, this is a casual thing.
Speaker 2: You can get a ticket. Yeah, and then they have the concerts after. They're a big sponsor of mine now on the show, and we're gonna have Aaron Crowley here on the other side, so we'll talk a lot about that.
Speaker 3: I know we can't go early, right, it could be we can always time we have about a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little less. Okay, let's just go. Then we'll come back maybe about three fifty nine. On the other side, okay,