Speaker 1: Yeah, ripped up.
Speaker 2: News need advice, so.
Speaker 3: You don't have.
Speaker 1: Come running.
Speaker 2: Just as fast as we can, the Shooter's gonna help coming. Man.
Speaker 4: This is the Troubleshooter Show, now Tom Martino.
Speaker 2: Not Tom Martino, but this is John Fuller filling in for Tom Martino and the Troubleshooter Network. Today is Wednesday, April thirtieth, and we have an exciting three days to look forward to. We're gonna cover a lot of ground. Update on Tomm. He's doing great. He texted me this morning. He's doing better than even yesterday, and so we're all excited to hear that and look forward to his speedy return. My name is John Fuller. Many of you know me. I'm a personal injury attorney here in the Denver area and have been for oh, I don't know, twenty three, almost twenty four years now, and I am a plaintiff's attorney. I only represent people that are victims of car crashes in their claims against the ad fault drivers and their insurance companies. And so we you know, you guys frequently hear from me, and it's all one sided and from the perspective of the guy that's going after the insurance companies. We have a really special guest today that's going to add a somewhat different perspective to it. Dan Mahony is with us. Say hello, Dan. Dan is with the Insurance Group of Denver. Dan is an independent insurance agency, right, and so as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong. What that means is he's not beholden to any particular insurance company, and that affords you the opportunity to really try to come up with products that best suit the customers needs and kind of act more independently and less you know, one size fits all that you might get at a branded insurance agency or something along the way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know branded agency is the agents there actually work for that carrier. When you call a direct carrier, the person you're talking to on the phone works for that direct carrier. As an insurance broker, we actually work for you. We represent you, and we look through the market to find items for you or products for you that work best.
Speaker 2: So we are going to talk about all sorts of stuff today about you know, the different options you have for insurance, how that insurance comes into play in the event that something bad happens to you, Whether you're a victim or even whether you happen to make a mistake and cause an accident, and that unfortunately happens to listeners as well. And I get those calls all the time, and it's sometimes a pretty difficult call because people are shocked to hear what their insurance companies actually will and won't do for them when that you know, when that event happen. And so we encourage your calls here on the Troubleshooter Network. We solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. We are here to help you and work through all of your issues. We have a couple of deputies in with us today, Deputy Doc longtime OBG y N doc in Denver and a valuable member of the team. And we have our ever popular Dmitri who is just a master of all things and here to chime in as well. So call us up. We're here to help. We look forward to your calls no matter the issue. If you've been ripped off, taking advantage of anything along those lines, we are here to help and we are looking for your calls, so we will get started in that. How let's check in with our deputies here. How's things going there? Dmitri.
Speaker 6: Good John, you know, I'm glad you brought up how things are going, because we do have an interesting case that came up a couple of days ago, and I've been thinking about it and i'd like to get your input on this, because even though you're not a contract's attorney per se, I think most of your job is dealing with contracts and contractual.
Speaker 2: Relationships to an extent.
Speaker 6: So a few days ago, lady by the name of Haley called this. She and her roommate rented a downtown apartment at an eyewatering price of three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: Everything went well until she and the roommate had some kind of a falling out. And I guess it was a serious enough falling out that the roommate had either applied for a protection order or got one. It wasn't very clear from the phone call. But that's not the actually important part. Okay, The important part is this, This now estranged roommate went to the apartment manager's office and presented them with this problem that she's personally having with Haley, and the apartment manager let her out.
Speaker 2: Of her lease.
Speaker 6: Oh and unfortunately for Haley, that resulted in Haley being stuck with the entire three thousand dollars a month rent plus utilities, which she can't afford. Now, with the mistake I think that we possibly made during the show a few days ago, is we evaluated this matter from the perspective of the lease. What does the lease say? And sure says that she's jointly and severally responsible. But I've been thinking. Brad O'Brien confirmed that, of course, right, that's an easy one. But I've been thinking about this for the past few days, and I think that we may we should have and tell me if I'm right or wrong here, if this is the right approach, I think we should have evaluated this matter from the perspective of simply a contractual relationship, which is this, there are three princes. There are three principles, right, the landlord and each of the two tenants. Now, each of the two tenants entered into a contractual relationship between all three of them with the understanding that each of the two tenants will sign and perform their obligations under their lease. And everything went well until Tenant one and a landlord got together without ten two's knowledge or permission, and decided that Tenant one is no longer obligated to perform her obligations under this lease that was done. The effect of that was to the financial detriment a tenant number two. So if we look at it from that perspective, is it then fair and equitable to hold tenant two responsible for both of these obligations even though the only reason she entered into this contractual relationship not the lease, but the contractual unwritten relationship between the three parties, with the understanding that tenant number one will be equally responsible.
Speaker 2: How in the world did the tenant convince the landlord to let her off the lease? How did that happen?
Speaker 6: Well, so what we infer from what Haley said is tenant one went to the landlord and said, hey, this is now becoming a physically dangerous and vironment. I mean, I infer that because Hailey said that there was mention of a protective protection order. So so so the landlord I assume, Now there are a lot of assumptions in this assume. Well, you know, we're not we're gonna let her out because she claims to be in danger and she gets murdered, we don't want to be responsible for that, right but I think how she convinced the landlord is to me irrelevant.
Speaker 2: It's it's just a yeah, it's a tough situation. Let's uh, let's kind of dive into that as soon as we get back from the first break. To the callers out there, the number to reach us today is seven one three eight two five five three oh three seven one three eight two five five Help at Troubleshooter dot com. Give us a call. We're here to help you, and we'll be right back in just a moment.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 7: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Hello John Fuller, coming back at you on the Troubleshooter Show. Here rapidly filling up the phone lines. We're going to go right to the lines. We will get back to Dimitri's issue. That is an interesting deal that's going to take a little while to discuss, So don't think that we're not dealing with that. But we have a whole list of callers here and we're going to get started right away. Lissa, you have an issue with your lease or your apartment. What's going on?
Speaker 8: So I had to sign the lease on Monday. Sorry, daughter, But and after I signed the lease, we had went in to move our stuff and there was a cockroach on the wall.
Speaker 9: Mind you, these.
Speaker 8: Aren't newly or what they say are newly renovated apartments. So I was really shocked when I seen one, and so I had called the office was closed.
Speaker 10: The next day.
Speaker 8: I had called and informed them I wanted to break my lease. They said that they would have to get in contact with corporate because I told them I wanted all my money back, because I mean, I have a kid, like you know, I can't live with a roach infestation. I talked to the tenants nearby, and not a lot of them spoke English, so it's kind of hard to, like, you know, understand how bad the situation really was. Well, I guess it's so bad that they spray these apartments like fights every two weeks.
Speaker 1: That means that.
Speaker 8: There's like a major roach infestation twice every two weeks, is like really concerning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can appreciate that. Have you seen evidence of this infestation or just one cockroach?
Speaker 11: Well I had seen too.
Speaker 8: I had seen the first one on the wall, and then the second one in the bathroom, and then when we further like looked at the baseboards and stuff, there was a bunch of dead ones, and so I was like, okay, well say like bomb. Then frequently I was like, maybe there's just not that much. I mean it was the middle of the day. Roaches are like nocturnal, you know, so they should have never even been out anyway. But when speaking with other tenants, they said, like, it's such a bad issue that there's roaches in our TV and their microwaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I used to live in New York, like in New York City, and cockroaches are a scourge. So if Lisa saw two cockroaches, that means there are two thousand more they will come out at night. But I think an even bigger issue than the disgusting revolting cockroaches. Is the fact that they spray these chemicals to right, and she has a little daughter, and god forbid, she has a cat or a dog or something. All of these creatures are gonna get poisoned or the cockroaches get poisoned.
Speaker 2: Face on your experience, what should she do? Oh, I would definitely find a different place. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, I do recognize that I may be unusually sensitive to cockroaches because of my early experience with him. But this is a serious issue. I heard her daughter in the background. She's a tiny little baby. So, John, does she have a leg to stand them? Does she have a technically valid reason to be afraid for her health and the health of her not just being disgusted?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if the apartment poses a health and safety risk to the daughter, she's got a pretty good grounds, you know, to attempt to break the lease. Now, you know, listen, everything in real estate, everything hey By sell contracts, lease contracts, everything else. It's a contract and your rights are spelled out in the contract. And so what happens when you decide to break that lease is either laid out in the contract or it's not. Now, I think you've got a valid reason to want to live there, and that reason may be good enough to carry the day. I mean, I think you can say to the landlord and to the management company that you know that the next call is to the health department and you've got these valley concerns and stuff, and they may just not want you in their apartment well enough to get you out of there and to let you back out of the lease, especially since you've never really moved into the place. I mean, come on, it's not like there's any real damage. There's no move out cleaning fee or any of that crap. It's just no harm, no foul. Let's move on. But if push comes to shove and they want to enforce it, they're going to claim that you breach the contract, and they can take you to court and a judge can decide whether or not you've breached it. But I would warn you that as a person that is you know, is renting apartments, you know, you don't want to really have on your record that you've violated a lease and you've breached it or you've not paid your your obligations on time, because that's going to cause problems for the next you know, place that you go to and everything else. But but I would start by having a conversation with their corporate office and saying, look, you guys have a major health problem here and and and bringing that to their you know, to their attention and and if you've got a child, particularly one with any with any health issues, you know, I just don't see them really pushing to enforce that too much, do you.
Speaker 6: Well, Jean, I haven't. I think you're absolutely right, But I think that a lot of these problems are resolved before they even get to court or a default situation. So what do you think of this?
Speaker 2: Elisa and John?
Speaker 6: Why don't you tell the Why don't you follow up this conversation with your property manager who hasn't gotten back to you with the answer yet? With this You discussed this with a Tom Martino troubleshooter on the radio without mentioning the apartment complex's name or the name of the property management company. But we, myself especially, are extremely interested in seeing how this issue gets resolved, and we asked you to call and email us with what the property manager offers as a resolution to your problem, and then we can update the story on the air without their name being mentioned.
Speaker 2: On the air.
Speaker 6: It's going to be up to them, and you can feel free to give them my personal cell phone number, Lisa, which Kelly here. When we're done with your phone call on the air, Kelly will give you my personal cell phone number. And please let me know what the apartment manager said about you being able to get out of this lease without incurring any financial burden.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a reason, Lissa, while we didn't ask what the apartment complex is at this stage, because you know, that's kind of the nuclear button when you go and put it out on the radio that you've got this massive roach infestation and everything else. So we're trying to give you as many tools in your toolbag to use. And what Dimitria is suggesting is that you let them know that this could go another way without without threatening. Don't be rude, you know, be nice, because.
Speaker 6: Were extremely interested in prayer and on the air up there is very interesting, you know, jumping at the bit, like really really interesting looking.
Speaker 2: Forward to it. So does that make sense to you listen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, they said that they.
Speaker 8: Would give me a call back today early morning, mid afternoon to let me know what corporate had said. I'm assuming they're kind of realizing that if I decide to take them to court, they probably wouldn't win. I think the reason why so many of the people that live there, you know, happen to live there because they can'tward anything else and they don't understand that this is like borderline illegal, if not illegal to you praying it so many times.
Speaker 2: So are you in the unit right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 8: No, we completely After that, After in that road we left, I was like, I'm not even gonna try to do this. I don't even want to do this. So we just went and stayed with my daughter's grandparents for a little bit, and can you find something different?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's important too, to not not actually take possession of the of the property. But I was going to say, if you did take possession, you need to be taking lots of photographs of these of these roaches. But it's better that you didn't move in at all. So keep us in the loop, would you please, and we'll look forward to hearing back and trying to get you some help on this. Okay, thanks listen for the call. We're gonna we're gonna move along here. We've got Eric on the line. Eric is looking for help with a timeshare. What's going on, Eric, Well.
Speaker 9: Basically, I'm calling and get out for my daughter. She got roped into the the Vegas Hilton timeshare deal and as far as I can tell, she didn't really understand what was going on, and she felt like she was pressured and manipulated, and she thought what she was actually getting was ADIT card and either a free or discounted vacation. How old is you er, Well, this was she was twenty one at the time. She just turned twenty one that weekend, and we took her to Vegas, you know, to celebrate her birthday.
Speaker 2: And okay, so you are.
Speaker 9: Walked into one of the casinos and you know, they had a kiosk there with a couple of people and they kind of, you know, coerce her and.
Speaker 2: Her So she thought she signed up for a credit card, and she walked out with a timeshare.
Speaker 9: Yeah, in a three thousand dollars bill. All right on that credit said credit cards?
Speaker 6: Eric, do you have a copy of everything she signed?
Speaker 9: Yes? I do.
Speaker 6: Can you email it to us please?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Eric, I'm gonna put you back on hold. Kelly's going to give you the email address. I'd love to see all that paperwork. If you could get that to us, that would be great. We're going to go to a quick break, but do get that stuff to us and then we'll have a lot better chance of trying to figure out how to how to navigate through this deal.
Speaker 12: Okay, Eric, thanks, go with a sure thing Denver's best rufer excelroofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 7: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back John Fuller here with the Troubleshooter Network. We are rock and rolland one of the coolest things about this show is that we have such an amazing audience out there that sometimes we get calls from people that are experts that chime in and help educate us about what's going on. And so we're going to go right to Scott. Scott, I understand you are an entomologist for the benefit of our listeners. What is that?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I have degrees in entomology, which is the study of insects, and specifically I'm an urban entomologist because my work is around cockroaches and ants and termites and things like that. So how can you I am a real bug.
Speaker 2: Guy, real live bug guy. So what do you have to offer with Lissa's issue with these roaches in this apartment with their young child?
Speaker 3: Okay? Well, the first thing is that they really don't need to be spraying all those chemicals. There are a few, I guess I call them stone age companies that still do things the old fashioned way. But we've got a lot of phenomenal baits, which are basically, it's a food with a relatively non toxic poison in it, so that the cockroaches are acted to it, they eat it, and they die, so you can get rid of them completely without any spraying at all.
Speaker 2: But Scott, isn't the issue that thing? I mean, it seems to me that it's more challenging in a big multifamily building where you have so many units. I mean, how can you ever really get you know, full saturation of a baiting program and just completely annihilate a population of roaches.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, well, first of all, if it is actually an apartment complex and not a condominium complex with individual owners, right, it's real easy. It's just an accessibility thing. So if I can get in there and treat that, you don't have to there's no prep involved, so the tenants don't have to complain that, you know, they didn't have time to empty their cabinets and do all these other things. You can treat it. Well, they're actually there, and so it's very easy. It's just a matter of coordinating that with the management company and having access so we can go to every single unit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So how would you compare the cost of doing it correctly with the cost of hiring these these hacked companies or stone age companies that you're talking about that keep spraying and not really making any dent in the problem.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, spraying is dirt cheap. The actual cost of a tank of insecticide is very very cheap, and dates are very expensive. So upfront there's a huge difference.
Speaker 2: Hey, Scott, how.
Speaker 3: Much you're looking at an annual and what's that.
Speaker 2: Oh, how long would it take.
Speaker 13: Let's say you had access to every apartment in the multifamily building, how long would it take to have basically ninety five eradication.
Speaker 3: Less than three months? Most of them will be dead within about two weeks. But of course you're going to have eggs hatching in a few thing. Sometimes there's deep pockets, you know, there's there's a lot of variability, you know, insanitation. But but quite honestly, if you're thorough and debates work really well. And we combine that too, it's an insect growth regulator which sterilizes them. So that's kind of a double whammy.
Speaker 2: So let's say you run up against a landlord that's just you know, cost adverse. They're not gonna they're not going to pay to do it correctly, and they keep paying for the really cheap way that doesn't seem to do anything, because it at least that lets them claim that they're trying to address the issue and that they're being very proactive. What would you then say to Lyssa about the potential health hazards of her moving in with a young child with that sort of a spraying regiment going on so so frequently.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well that the first issue is really, uh, the the health aspects of the cockroaches themselves. And it's well documented that cockroach feces and cast skins, you know, because they mold, so that you've got all the shed skins of the bugs, of all those things induced to asthma and children, and it's it's very documented. So it's it's something that's that's real serious that there's a lot of them, because we see that in inner city areas where there are a lot of cockroach problems. In low income housing, kids have a lot of uh, well, there's a high incidence of asthma. So that's that's one issue then. And then of course too from a chemical standpoint, depending on what the guys are spraying, it may or may not be a health concern for the for the tenants as well, and that one's hard to know because I have no idea what they're actually spraying.
Speaker 2: In there, right, Right, that's good information.
Speaker 13: Are you an academic or do you have a company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually have a pest control company. I'm swamped though, so I don't even want to see the name of my company out here. I don't need the extra business.
Speaker 2: Right right, well, but that's that's great information. Let me ask you one other things in your you know experience, if you you know, if if from an environmental standpoint, a kid is induced you know too, or introduced to these sheds and casts and poop and everything else and and and you know, gets asthma, that's that's something that follows with them the rest of their life, isn't it?
Speaker 3: That is correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, So, I mean it seems to me that there ought to be the information out there too to help lessa if this company wants to really fight this battle, to say that maybe this is just not the right apartment and not the least that they want to actually, you know, try to enforce and stuff. Scott, have you ever act as an expert and in these kind of matters.
Speaker 4: I have been a.
Speaker 3: Long time, but but I mean, it's it's definitely a habitability issue, and we do have habitability laws, especially in the city of Denver. I'm not sure what city she's in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well cool, Well listen, Scott, thank you so much for calling in. That's been great information. We appreciate it. Thanks for listening, and uh we'll look forward to, uh hopefully getting the Lissa out of this apartment and moving on. So thanks again. So we are nearing another break here. We do have a couple of lines open. The number is seven one three eight two five five. That's three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We are going to, I promise visit with Dan about his company and kind of explore some of the differences between the buyer's perspective insurance and the user's perspective after an event has happened that brings that insurance into play. Before we go to the break, I'm just going to visit real quickly and see if we need an expert. Marie, you have an issue with the sharpest rights. What's going on with your enclave, Marie.
Speaker 10: Yes, So I bought a vehicle back in March through the Sharpest Rides. I've been getting the run around in the past three weeks to get my car walk on. It'spet because I have a transmissing issue.
Speaker 2: Is there a warranty on it or just you just feel like they should be fixing it?
Speaker 10: Doesn't warranty on it. The onety is underneath the six months once he was sixty thousand miles.
Speaker 2: You bought this warranty from the sharper rides when you bought.
Speaker 11: The vehicle, Yes, it came with it.
Speaker 2: When did you buy this vehicle back in March March of this year yes, okay, And what is the problem with the sharpest rides? Are they refusing to honor it or refusing to work on it or what?
Speaker 10: So every d they've been getting me the run around trying to work on it, and I'm thinking a mom of three kids and have a baby on the way, and they are telling me that they have to go to the warrant manager instead. All up there every week, every day, going up there and stuff like that. The ward team manager is nowhere to be found. He is not you can hit ward with me onto getting back to me or anything. So it's just been very frustrating.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well Marie, hang on a second. We'll be right back from this break. We're going to try to help you out. Okay, hang Tyger, So.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out Now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 7: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Okay, John Fuller here on the Troubleshooter Network, getting back to the issues that we're going through today. So we're going to help Marie out here. In just a second, I've got yet another cockroach caller calling in to comment. We're going to take that first, because we always appreciate our callers with comments. So, Bill, what is going on with these cockroaches? How can we Hey?
Speaker 14: This was around nineteen eighty. Okay, Well, we moved from downtown Denwood to Thornton and the cockroaches moved with us.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I mean.
Speaker 14: They were sick. I tried everything. I'd set bombs off and on the weekend and we would go down to my in laws and spend the weekend and nothing worked.
Speaker 2: What did you do?
Speaker 15: Finally, remember Paul Harvey, Yep.
Speaker 14: He was advertising this stuff was called roach proof, and I think it was some kind of boric acid stuff, and I'm and I put it around the house and it worked because then we bought a new house and we didn't move with us.
Speaker 2: Now, did you disclose the cockroach problem to the new buyers.
Speaker 14: Were renting a cockroaches?
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding there. Uh, you know, I think that's yeah. I think that bor axes.
Speaker 14: Threw away a refrigerator because they would just swarm and inside, you know, in the in the back of it and all the.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 16: It was thick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's disgusting. Well, thanks for that information. I think the boor axes, it's really along the same veins of what the expert that called in with bait stations and stuff that actually gets into the pores of the the legs and stuff of the cockroaches, and that's how the poison enters the system, rather than than you know, a spray or something that just gets on the surface. So I appreciate it. Now we know the rest of the story. Paul Harvey, you know, uh, thanks for calling in, Bill, I appreciate it. So Marie, back to you, my friend. So listen, you know that the Sharpest Rides is a you know, they get a lot of complaints and there's a lot of articles out there about people that have issues and problems and that make complaints and sometimes file lawsuits and stuff. We would like to give them an opportunity to help do the right thing with you and see if we can get you, you know, get them to take a look at your car and see if we can't get you some help. And so I'm going to ask our deputy Dmitri to to speak with you, get a little bit more information and to actually reach out to the sharpest rides and give them that opportunity to do the right thing. You're a single mom, you really need a working car. I can't think of a more you know, deserving person to have them step up and help you. You bought the warranty and it's time for them to do the right thing by you. And I'm sure that Dimitri can impress upon them how important it is that they step up and do the right thing.
Speaker 6: So Dimitri, yeah, hey, I'll be really happy to I'll speak with a caller offline kind of get some summary of what the problem is. And you know, I've always had really great luck dealing with viewerships, regardless of their previous reputation. I ignore that during my nation phone call, and because most of the time it's kind of a miscommunication problem or somebody didn't get the message or something like that. But I'd say more than half the time they step up and do the right thing.
Speaker 2: That's what we want to see. That's the important thing.
Speaker 6: Except Omera and they never called me back, they never respond to my emails.
Speaker 2: And if they do, we will dutifully report that they have done the right thing. That's ree and so we'll give them that opportunity. So Marie, hang on, We're going to get your contact information. Dmitri will be in touch with you soon and we'll see if we can help you out. Okay, thanks for calling in you you bet appreciate it. So, mister Dan, we were talking a little bit off air, and this is exactly the kind of stuff that I want us to get into. And it's just the nuts and bolts of you know, Listen, we live in a state where we have abysmally low limits that are required by law. You can, you know, have a completely complying policy of insurance, but it only has twenty five thousand dollars of liability coverage. So for the benefit of our listeners that don't know, liability coverage is what pays for the other guy's injuries if you get into an accident. So it's the coverage that you carry so that the other guy doesn't come directly after you. So it's literally a policy of protection. Doesn't do anything for you in the way of your medicals and that kind of stuff, but it literally protects you from the damage that you did to the other party if you're at fault for an accident.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: Dan, maybe the good best starting place is just, you know, tell me about the discussions that you have with people about the appropriate level of insurance, because from my perspective as a plaintiff's attorney, there's almost no circumstance where twenty five is enough.
Speaker 5: Exactly, any clients that come into any clients that come to our agency that we write, we have a minimum in house. We won't write a policy under one hundred three hundred one. That's nothing to do with us or our income. It says that we feel like that is the minimum base level of getting a decent level of coverage to take care of any sort of well, not any but take care of a vast amount of losses that you may have. We were talking a little bit earlier, is that people are kind of confused with insurance. Is that Hey, I found a policy, I bought it. It was cheap, it saved me money. When we're talking about that, you know people, I use the parallel of cake. It's like saying to your.
Speaker 2: Friends, Hey I have cake. Okay, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 17: Rip.
Speaker 2: You don't have.
Speaker 1: Run incious as fast as we can.
Speaker 2: Shoot's gonna help, come man Dix. He is the Troubleshooter Show. Now, Tom Martine, Welcome to the Troubleshooter Show. This is John Fuller filling in for Tom Martino. Many of you know me. I'm a personally injury attorney in Denver and have been for the last twenty three years. We are here today talking about all things insurance as well as taking care of your problems. We are here to solve problems, take complaints, answer questions, if you've been scammed, if you've been ripped off, if you have a problem that we can help you with, no matter the subject, give us a call. The number is seven one three eight two five five. You can also contact us at help at troubleshooter dot com. So that's seven one three eight two fivey five. Give us a call. We have some open lines right now. With us in the studio today is Dan Mahoney. Dan is with the the Insurance Group of Denver. He is an independent agent, meaning he's not beholden to any particular insurance company and is therefore able to give you unbiased advice about the insurance products that you're considering. And before the break, we were talking about you know, limits on certain policies and how you know twenty five is just an abysmally low requirement by the state of Colorado. And I'll turn it back over to Dan. At this point he was talking about in his firm, they actually won't sell a policy that's minimal limits. You guys have requirements at least internally that you at least have one hundred three hundred, and I think that's great. I don't think a hundred is well. I would say this for the vast majority of claims, one hundred is enough. You know, our average claim is probably less than one hundred. It's definitely less than one hundred. But when it's more than one hundred, it tends to be a lot more than one hundred. And that's where you may regret having only one hundred thousand. So I want to segue into talking about out you know, umbrellas and stuff like that, and then I'm gonna kind of inject some real world stuff into the conversation from my perspective as a plaintiff's attorney. So I'll let you pick it back up where we left off. Yeah, absolutely, thank jah. When you look at your policy, you're gonna see some numbers. You're gonna see typically one hundred slash three hundred slash one hundred.
Speaker 5: Explain what that means, just yeah, and then you'll see repeat again, one hundred, three hundred.
Speaker 2: So the first one hundred means outbound care to the other person.
Speaker 5: That you may endure in an accident. The three hundred thousand, that second number, that's an aggregate amount. So if you hurt someone else outbound, three people at one hundred thousand each, six people at fifty thousand each. However, you break that down, that is basically the pool money you're working with. That last number, that last one hundred. In this scenario, this is going to be property damage. So it's gonna be covering other vehicles, school buses, motorcycles, trees, this cows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or even a highway sign. So let me interrupt you there. You talked about the total amount necessary for an accident. So it's one hundred per person, but three hundred per accident. So what happens if you have four people in the car. So if you have four people in the car, that second.
Speaker 5: Number, that three hundred thousand, that aggregate is going to be what that that share that's going to be divided between those four people in that instant.
Speaker 2: And how do they divide that?
Speaker 5: Actually that that's gonna be based. It's gonna be claims based. Basically, what they're actually lost is now, if there's a lot of damage, like you said, you know, the majority of cases seem to stay around or one hundred thousand, but as you said, they can escalate pretty quickly. With our clients, again, one hundred three hundreds kind of our baseline. We prefer doing a to fifty five hundred, one hundred, even what you call a five hundred thousand combined single limit, which means each level has five hundred thousand dollars. On top of that, we're big advocates of umbrellas umbrellas. Umbrellas are relatively inexpensive. An umbrella is just as it says, it just sits over your home and your auto, and it just amplifies that underlying covers. So that's that what if that's that worst case scenario, and I've seen it happen.
Speaker 2: So all that is great and wonderful from a liability perspective, But all that insurance coverage in the world does nothing. If it's you that gets injured and the other car has those same minimal limits that we're talking about, where does that come into play? So now we're going back to the uninsured or uninsured.
Speaker 5: Motorist statistics are kind of all over the place, but I've seen upwards of seventeen percent.
Speaker 2: Of the drivers and Kyrod just don't even have insurance.
Speaker 5: Factoring for bad insurance, we're looking at about thirty percent at all. So when you're driving today, if you look at the three cars around you, one of them doesn't have insurance, doesn't have enough.
Speaker 2: That's coblutely true. What could happen? I did some research one time. The actual numbers in Colorado are two thirds of the drivers either have minimal limits or no insurance at all. In Colorado two thirds sixty almost sixty six percent either have minimal limits which is complying that's legal, or no insurance at all. So I mean it's not just the one car, it's both of the cars on either side of you either have no or minimal limits. So when when I talk to my clients about buying buying insurance, I you know, from my perspective, whatever you buy for the other guy is great, But really the focus ought to be what you're buying for your family, right right, because that's the that's the most important cargo that you carry, is those people that are that are in your car that you can control, and we are.
Speaker 5: When we're quoting people often we see that flip flopped. We see that you are buying the least amount of coverage for yourself and the most for the other guy. Yeah, Or when we're in a situation where someone's out shopping quotes, they'll come back. They'll be like, hey, I've found this great deal. We have a good relationship with our clients, will be like, here, send us a copy what you find. And oftentimes that's what we find is that they sacrifice you to lower that premium, make more attractive to you, come in and buy. But that uninsured, uninsured motorist. Again, it's it's matching your your policy levels. I'm a big fan of two fifty five hundred or more. In that situation, you do get hit by one of those people, and now your your costs, your cost of uh living, your endeavors. You have a pool of money that you can go back to. And I am seeing this used more and more and more every year. It used to be pretty uh I would never see anybody even touch it. But it's become a reality now that the other guy's not doing their job because you know, if they're just buying insurance, they don't know what that means.
Speaker 13: Hey, yeah, I have a question. So the people who have the minimal insurance. Are they people who can declare bankruptcy? And the main question is someone has you know, minimal coverage and they get a judgment. Is that judgment dischargeable if they declare bankruptcy?
Speaker 5: So, and I'm going to bring John on this because I've always been trained that in a situation where you declare bankruptcy, a bankruptcy is essentially a contract breaking your financial contracts, which you could actually forgive the insurance company from protecting or defending you in that claim, which means now you're back on your own.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the short answer, Doc is yes, I mean, but the longer answer is what does it matter? I mean, if you get a judgment of two million dollars against somebody that has no assets, it's worthless. They don't even need to go to the court to declare bankruptcy. You're never going to collect your two million dollars. So that bankruptcy you know, discharge is about as valuable as that you know to them, Is that judgment is to you?
Speaker 6: Well, my point is that the people who have this they don't care.
Speaker 2: They don't care.
Speaker 13: They have the minimum insurance because I have to. But then they say, well, look, you know you can't. There's there's nothing to collect. Why should I pay for more insurance when really I don't need it?
Speaker 2: So so that's my typical argument, is that the reason you buy more insurance is so that you're allowed to buy greater limits for your family. Correct. You know, people call me all the time, and I welcome their calls, and I truly do. And and the call goes like this, how much insurance do I need?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And and for some reason they think I'm better qualified because I exhaust policies frequently, that that I'm a better you know, a better judge of that and stuff. So when we come back from the break, I want to talk about you know, I want to talk about like what happens when you don't have enough coverage. And I'm sure that you've had clients in that position. I've had people call me, I've had plaintiffs that have damages far greater than coverage. We're going to talk about that when we come right back.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content than time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance, paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies.
Speaker 1: Find out now three O three seven to seven to one help.
Speaker 7: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, good afternoon, John Fuller here, we are moving rapidly forward in the day. We're talking about insurance stuff. If we can be of help to you, give us a call it three O three seven one three eight two five five. We are here to solve your problems and help out with any issue that you have. In the studio today we have Dan Mahoney. Dan is a principal, meaning the owner of the insurance Group of Denver, and they're an independent agent, meaning they sell a number of different lines of insurance, but they're not beholding to any one, which is kind of cool because you're going to get the straight skinny and you're not going to get the party line of some you know, fill in the blank insurance company. And I was looking at your list of carriers that you write for, and most of them I recognize, but there are some that are absent, and most of them are kind of the big guys that you hear, you know, advertising around you. You're the ones we always have problems with, like all State and State farm and farmers and that kind of stuff. I would venture a guess that you're able to put together more diverse policies that are more custom tailored for your client by being an independent agent rather than just having a set line of products that you can sell for one carrier. Is that talk to us about the differences that you have in the stuff that you can do for clients. Sure, you know, it all starts at the beginning when we talk to a client.
Speaker 5: I really want to know a lot more about the client than just their name and what they want to buy. Assets drive a lot of that, you know, if you have a lot of rental properties, things like that. Different carriers specialize in different areas, and we kind of were talking off air about uninsured motorists and umbrellas. A lot of companies are kind of shying away from that because it's a big loss point. But we can still do those, We can still put those together, so we really truly can customize for you A package.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 5: I'm a big advocate if we have one thing for you, we keep everything in one carrier, especially if we're going to deal with an umbrella. We don't want any company pointing to someone else saying, oh, this is your issue, this is the overlap, this is double indemnity, this is stacking. We don't want to deal with any of that. We want it all nice and clean. At the end of the day, your cost is probably going to come out about the same as where you're at, and you know, and even just raising your underlying limits from you know, state minimums to a relatively decent amount is pretty inexpensive.
Speaker 2: To take that next step up to go to two fifty.
Speaker 5: Five hundred, five hundred combined single limit, you're talking a couple hundred bucks a year you add an umbrella. Depending on the carrier what you have, it's going to range between you know, two hundred and twelve hundred dollars a year. But again, if you have those assets and you have things at risk, you really need to have those things. On a side note, it's interesting the gentleman who called in earlier about the apartment with the bug problem. Right now, the way the market is This is a hard market right now, so nobody wants to write, especially you know, Colorado's one of the harder hit states after the Superior fire or Marshall fire, Troublesome Creek, all those things. Rates have gone absolutely nuts and as a hard market, even my agency we struggle to even find policies right now because a lot of curriers just don't want to write business. So it's an unannounced moratorium if you will. So if you do, cause we're happy to help you and talk to it. It's just I don't know if we have an option for you necessarily, but as the market comes back online, that's going to prove over time.
Speaker 2: We do help out some.
Speaker 5: Financial firms around town that provide advice to folks on retirement, and we also do reviews for their clients as well, make sure everything's stacked up and makes sense on their cory.
Speaker 13: Again, I have a question. Yeah, you know, one of the things that you see on TV all the time is this bundling. So does it really save you money to have you a home and auto with the same company.
Speaker 5: From a straight financial standpoint, it's usually the same.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry if you're splitting everything.
Speaker 5: Off and trying to take advantage of multiple markets, you're damaging yourself because you are giving up a lot of multiline discounts. And keep in mind, insurance is all about risk. So if I'm a product person or underwriter with an insurance company and you're coming to me with five different lines, that's five different points of risk. I know that you are going to be a better value to me because you're not going to have five areas of risk all happen at once.
Speaker 2: But there's a bigger issue with that, and it's one that we kind of run into. It's like, you know, I think if I'm talking strictly as an insured as a guy that's buying insurance and stuff based on my experience, the more opportunities you give an insurance company to point the finger at somebody else and say that other company or that other policy should be the one that's on the hook for this loss, the more app they are to do that. So when you create this potential, I don't know if conflict is the right word, but opportunity maybe between say a homeowners and an auto policy. You know, was you're out on a bicycle and you crash into somebody, Is it homeowners or is it auto you know, well, it's it's most likely homeowners in that situation. But what if it's an e bike where it's a motorized bike or something, Eh, not as clear that's more of a motorized vehicle because that going to go under the auto policy maybe, you know. Or if you're hit by a driver, now you are trigging. I mean, we do so much more in battling these issues behind the scenes, where we legit have a team of attorneys that's saying we think the policy says this, and our interpretation is that, and we have to harmonize those too, and so I mean that's part of what's so important about getting somebody on your side is that that these policies are subject to interpretation. It's never just as easy as looking at a list and seeing, yep, that's covered.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You remember the old Farmer's commercials where the guy and the old tweet sports coat was like, we covered it, you know, and that's not reality. Reality is we denied it, you know, and and then we got sued and then we begrudgingly decided to pay that claim down the road after you know so and so attorney whatever, you know, it it's just the first question was are we better off with the bundle? Yeah, I think so, to the extent that you can within reason. I mean, don't pay, don't pay an exorbitant premium for that privilege. But if you can get everything under one house, it makes sense. I think it makes sense to do it.
Speaker 5: It's like, Doc, if you go to lunch today, you go to McDonald's for your fries, burger Kings for your burger, and a gas station for your Sota because you're trying to maximize money.
Speaker 2: You missed the boat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're you're spending the money anyway. You're you're giving up discounts, and you're giving up the continuity of coverage.
Speaker 2: I really want one goes wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't want to have to point out a whole bunch of people or have the car carriers pointing at each other.
Speaker 2: They love that. That's great for them, absolutely, I.
Speaker 5: Mean they can they can stall out a court case forever just by reversing the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's absolutely the case. And so you know, practice pointer to most people. If you're out there shopping around, really take the time to try to find the best deal that has everything under one You know umbrella for lack of a better word, because I think in the end you'll find that you have better coverage and a better opportunity to get your damages taken care of. So we're going to go to a quick break. We will be right back and continue discussion. Give us a call if we can help you. We've got open lines right now. Seven P one three A two five five is a number.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 1: On top of it.
Speaker 7: I'm for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, good afternoon, We're back. This is John Fuller or the Troubleshooter Network, and we are moving along here. We're talking about insurance coverage and and I'm talking with Dan Mahoney who is the principle of insurance Group of Denver. They're an independent agent. The cool thing about that is they're not beholden to one of the normal carriers there. They have a whole list of carriers that they're able to really custom formulate coverages to meet your needs and stuff. And so one of the things that we were talking about earlier, and everybody's already always heard these horror stories about well, you know it, can it come take my house or my my car, or my dog or whatever it is that you have to to you know, to satisfy a creditor. And those are largely wives tales. I mean, you don't really hear about people taking people's houses literally as as much as you you know, you might think based on the TV commercials and stuff that you hear out there, but the risk is very real and and it's it's something that that people need to be aware of the actual mechanics of how that work or how that works and in the real world. And and so every now and again we get a call and and we did recently from a listener to the show here and and not to not to you know, to use him as an example, but I think that it really paints a picture that I suspect a lot of listeners are in and and this gentleman had had worked his whole life and had amassed, you know, a house that was paid for that in Colorado, you know, a decent home. It was I believe it was just over a million dollars or so. And that's he admitted to a net worth of over a million dollars. We didn't pursue it further, but he was definitely a man of means, but not not crazy. We're not talking like the Rockefellers here or something. We're just talking about a person that lived his whole life that happened to pay off his mortgage and the property appreciated. He's got a couple of cars that are paid for in an RV and an old dog and a you know whatever. But the point is, you know, at the age that this gentleman was, which was well into retirement, he's still driving. He's still out there. He still has risk. And I don't think a lot of people really believe that they have this risk, and they're attempted to just have the same old insurance that they've had their whole life. And maybe twenty or thirty years ago, having minimal limits made sense when he had less assets and less earnings and less risk and probably cars at that time cost, you know, seven thousand dollars or something for a new car, whereas today they're ninety or one hundred thousand dollars. It seems like half the cars in the parking lot. Are you know, a pickup truck that's over one hundred grand is not hard to do and stuff. And then you start thinking about this twenty five grand that you've got for coverage, and you go, holy cow, this is not enough. And so this particular caller got into an accident and he didn't think it was that significant of an accident, but sure enough, the other party ended up going to the hospital. I think they were in an ambulance, So it wasn't It wasn't just a bump, It was something halfway significant. And lo and behold, they ended up with an attorney, and he began to work through the issue of do I have enough coverage? And the plaintiff's attorney he was working through the issue of what are we going to do with this guy? Okay? And it brings up this unique process that most people don't even know exist, which is the insurance companies and the lawyers all have to figure out what cards they've been dealt. And so, if a guy has twenty five thousand dollars of insurance and he's got five dollars worth of assets, that may be the single most valuable thing that he owns is that policy of insurance, And it may make absolute sense to take the twenty five, even though you may have let's say, just for the sake of the argument, let's say you have two hundred thousand dollars of damages. It may be the case that your strategic best move is to take that twenty five because that's the most you're ever going to get from this guy. He's got two nickels to rub together in a twenty five thousand dollars policy. God love him, right. But on the other hand, if the guy has a million dollars or so of assets out there that are unencumbered by mortgages and he just happens to have this policy that's the bare bones minimum that the state says that you can buy, you have to ask the question, is the guy voluntarily underinsured? What does that mean? Voluntarily underinsured? Dan, It just means he didn't buy enough insurance relative to the number of assets that he has, right.
Speaker 5: And he's also going along with what the state says.
Speaker 2: He's just trying to save money, but you know, intentionally or not, he's putting his own assets at risk instead of spending a little extra money in buying that extra coverage. I mean, at its core, buying liability insurance is protection for your own assets. And so it came as quite a shock to this guy that what do you mean by why are they wanting to know about my personal assets? Why are they wanting to know how much money I have in the bank, and how much equity I have, and how many stocks and bonds I have, and you know, and what my cars are worth. Why are they asking me all these questions? And the simple fact was the plaintiff's attorney was evaluating, and probably the uninsured motors carrier for the injured party, they were evaluating whether or not you were voluntarily underinsured. And if they conclude that you were, then guess what they could absolutely not agree to, except you're twenty five, and they could instead decide to come after you because you have assets. And that's the worst thing that can happen to you when you're seventy five or eighty years old and all of a sudden you're facing a judgment that could require you to sell your house, or sell assets, or cash in your stock account or something. You know, there's lots of assets that are not protected. That's the reality of getting in an accident and accidentally hurting somebody. Nobody says you did something on purpose, but not having enough insurance to protect you in the event that that happened.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, if that same accident had happened and the guy had two fifty or something and he's only got a house and maybe a couple of cars, and he's old, and there's protections in place, the planet's attorney would likely conclude that, you know, and the um carrier would conclude that he's appropriately insured. We're just gonna take the two fifty if it's offered, which it probably would be. We're gonna take the two fifty, and we'll give him a complete release that lets this guy off the hook.
Speaker 13: Right, and John, can you for both of you you can get separate covers. So if you have an old car and can you get like minimal collision and maximum and maximum liability?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you can get you can you don't have to have twenty five.
Speaker 6: It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 2: If they get liability only of a big, huge number and just not have Cadillac coverage for your car. Okay, I have a gnarly ugly pickup truck that has more liability in the world, and it's straight.
Speaker 5: There's nothing either. If it disappears, it disappears, and God bless whoever would take.
Speaker 2: That exactly, it's probably worth more in the form of a check point insurance coming off than any buyer would ever give you on it. So so you know, that's the backdrop that we're dealing with. Is this real, you know, circumstance that happens to people when they just try to save a little money and get the bare bones minimum coverage and they think this could never happen to me, and it does, and it did to one of our listeners here at the show. And I hate that more than anything, because you know, not only is this guy, you know, whole retirement really in jeopardy, but that planet that got injured. That person is trying to recover and be made whole. And I mean, I'm sure they're a good person, and they don't want to take a guy's or something crazy. So it's just it's it's truly incumbent upon you to have enough insurance to really reflect today's marketplace, where a trip to the er can be thirty forty fifty thousand dollars in a heartbeat and you're twenty five, no matter what the law says, is just not enough coverage. So when we get back from break, we're going to talk about my two other favorite things, medpay and medpay waivers, and then we're going to get into umbrellas. So hang on a second, we'll be right back.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back. John Fuller here on the Troubleshooter network. We are looking at some open lines here and so we are here to help you if you have any issues that we can chime in on. If you've been scammed, if you've been ripped off, if you have challenges with contractors, issues with your vehicles, problems with your landlord, anything along those lines, and particularly if you happen to have been in an accident you have questions about that, I'm happy to answer those questions. That is my specialty. I've been a personal injury attorney in Denver for the last twenty three or so years, and we are here to help. The phone number is three three seven one, three eight two five five. In the studio with me today are deputies Dimitri and Doc always ready at the standby for your issues. And Dan mahoney Dance with the Insurance Group of Denver and we're here having a lively discussion about insurance coverages and what to and not to do and that kind of stuff. And so if you have questions about your own coverage, absolutely pick up the phone and call is. Grab your deck sheet if you want to run some numbers by us and see if we think that you're appropriately insured. Or anything along those lines. Those calls are always welcome. If you have horror stories about a claim that's gone wrong with you, or that some example of a lesson that you learned along the way regarding coverage and stuff, by all means, give us a call. Those are super helpful for everybody else and the what not to do categories, So we're here for you. Give us a call. So, going into the break, I mentioned that my two favorite subjects were medpay and uninsured motors coverage, and I want to talk about medpay and a lot of people don't know really the genesis of medpay, where it where it came from. Uh, but they do remember that a number of years ago we had we had something called no fault in Colorado, and under no fault, if you got an accident, it didn't matter whose fault it was. My insurance company would pay for my meds and yours would pay for years. And so we literally had this this you know, this regime or this this you know this this setup in Colorado to where we didn't really go to our own primary care doctors. We didn't we didn't really you know, use our traditional medical providers because they weren't really participating in auto crashes. They they they weren't on the list, so to speak. And and so we had all these like injury people and chiropractors and stuff that were all experts and in treating, you know, auto crashes, and and and the the insurance companies, of course, perceived that every trip to the chiropractor was a waste of money, and they thought that the system was being abused, and so they put it on the ballot and promised the people in Colorado that they would save bookoos on their insurance premiums. And so Colorado voted out the no fault and they voted in the system that we have. And so immediately the after effects of that law change became became known, which was that now we had no mechanism to get medical bills paid that were incurred immediately following an accident, because the at fault carriers refused to pay. They represent their insurance and they're never going to reduce the amount of policy coverage that they have without securing a release in advance. And so they had the ability to sit back and wait for months and months and never pay any of those bills. And we had people that would immediately get a bill from the ambulance and immediately get a bill from the er and there was no mechanism to get that paid. And so the solution to that, and I should probably we also had our hospitals weren't getting paid either, and so they were kind of knocking on the door of the legislature saying, we have a problem here, people. You've outlawed this whole mechanism that we had to get paid, and now we're being asked to wait months and months to get paid for this er visit that we had to treat the party for. We can't turn them away, and so what are we to do? And so their answer to that was medical payments coverage, and we went through a number of gyrations. Initially it was only one thousand dollars and it was going to save the day, as if that would pay for an ambulance ride or any any real part of an er visit. But that's what the dollar amount was, and we've kind of gravitated up to where it is today and the required minimal amount of medpay is five thousand dollars. And so it's this crazy thing where we have a mandatory coverage.
Speaker 6: Then you kicked out, but you can wait it and John, not only that, but the pay in my case, and here are the declarations that I'm going to ask Dan to go over review for me. The maximum is only twenty five thousand dollars. I wanted a lot more than that with the insurance company. No insurance company would sell me more than twenty five thousand medpay.
Speaker 16: What turns that?
Speaker 2: Is that going to pay for it? And not many companies will sell twenty five and I've only seen a couple that will sell one hundred, and it just varies. That's their you know, really, insurance companies hate medical payments coverage because it's it's a coverage that's not dependent upon fault, and so they can't really you know, they can't really you know, traditionally, their evaluations of risk are evaluating your likelihood to get in an accident. And we can we can actuarily determine what our risk level is. But but you know, we were talking off the air. If you're carrying six kids to a volleyball.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent on You're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. Comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 17: Ripped of.
Speaker 3: News, so you don't have come.
Speaker 1: Come run in as fast as can.
Speaker 2: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 9: Come man, This is.
Speaker 4: The Troubleshooter Show Now, Tom Martinez, Hey.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon. This is John Fuller on the Referral Network. We are here halfway through today. We are here to solve problems, take complaints, an tower quesestions. We're here to help you. If you've been scammed, if you've been ripped off, if there's something that we can help you on, give us a call. The number here in the studio is seven one three eight two five five. That's three oh three seven one three eight two five five. You can also reach us at help at troubleshooter dot com. We have Deputy Doc and Deputy Dmitri and uh. We have Dan Mahoney in the house today dan is a is an insurance agent that owns Insurance Group of Denver, which is an independent agency, And we're kind of talking through the different issues. We just tiptoed into medpay and I was talking about the history of medpay. If if you're new to the show this afternoon, we're kind of discussing all things auto insurance and limits and types of coverage and stuff like that. If if you have issues that relate to claims on your auto insurance or you have questions about the level of coverage that you have, give us a call, because we're here to help work through those issues. And so I'd far prefer to discuss with you about whether the coverage is there to do what you think it's there to do before something happens rather than after. And so we had just tiptoed into medpay. Medpay is a coverage that's on your policy. It's designed to help you pay some of the out of pocket expenses that you immediately incur after an accident. And I can't tell you the number of times when I have a client that says, well, I wasn't at fault. The hospital's just going to build the other insurance company and they truly think that that's what's going to happen. But the reality is that the other insurance company is never going to pay those bills as they're being incurred. Those bills are in your name, they're your responsibility. If you ignore them and don't do anything with them, it'll be you that gets a collection company calling you, and it'll be your credit that ends up getting deemed in the process. So it's very important that you understand what coverages are there to provide what payment and medpay is kind of the first line of defense. So I wanted to turn it over to Dan and just talk about it. It's a mandatory coverage, but explain the waiver. How does that work?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 2: In your practice?
Speaker 5: So it's a mandatory coverage that you can opt out of.
Speaker 2: That's the genius. Why would anybody ever do that?
Speaker 5: So when I hear people say I'm going to opt out of that, they say I'm going to opt out because I have amazing health insurance or I'm in the military, or I'm on I'm retired and I have Medicare.
Speaker 2: Well, I haven't had an accident in thirty two years and need.
Speaker 5: And you're impervious, right, That's the other one too, and you know everyone's going to get an accident, and statistics are out there to yeah, what is it like every seven years over over one thousand bucks? Either the problem with that is that is seven years going to be this afternoon or is it going to be in seven years?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And it's going to happen, so you have to be prepared for it. Well, how do you rebut that argument that I have great insurance, so I have Medicare. I hear that all the time. I have I have Medicare, and I have trap care for life and and and I'm totally covered. There's never going to be a medical bill that I have to pay. Why the hell should I have so pay?
Speaker 5: When I talked through this, first thing is is that really medpay? I kind of look at it as it's it's buying you time. So it's it's giving you some money at the time of the accident that you can apply towards any early incurred costs or any ancillary care that you want.
Speaker 2: To go out. That's going to make you feel better.
Speaker 5: Uh So that's that's the first part of it. It's going to make it a lot easier. It's going to streamline the process.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Second, especially if you're you're younger, is that uh you know, if you have kids and you're driving carpool and you have an accident and you have five kids all tucked up in your super four wheel drive wagon, if one of those kids doesn't have health insurance or doesn't have parents, don't have a good policy, all of a sudden, you're going to be responsible for those costs. And in this case, now with the medpay on there, they can actually dip into those funds and same thing, it helps assist them along the process to get to the treatment that they need until someone takes responsibility and starts paying the bills.
Speaker 2: I love when people tell me how great their Medicare is, and it's just a they're just misinformed. They just don't understand. I mean, a Medicare doesn't cover everything, number one, so you're not truly impervious to any you know, bill coming your way following an accident. But secondly, it's like, do you only drive by yourself forever and ever and you never have anybody else in your car? I mean, do you and the neighbors never go out to dinner? Do you never take your grandkids to the park or back over to your kid's house or I mean, it's it's everybody else that you buy all this insurance for. You know, if I have a super you know, gazillion dollar U in policy, and i'm that because I don't want to have no insurance available if I got killed. It's not me that's going to get that money, it's my family. And so I just look at insurance as a necessary evil. It's a tool that we have to have, but you darn sure ought to have it built in a way that's going to benefit the people that are in your family that are actually going to be the recipient of those funds. And I think medpay is one of those coverages. It's perfect for copays and deductibles and stuff like that that are the immediate out of pocket expenses.
Speaker 5: And almost anybody you talk to now it used to be optional back when healthcare shart getting expensive, but it's pretty standard now. Most policies have five thousand dollars deductible right out the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah they do, and we're able to frequently use the medpay to at least help knock out that out of pocket minimum. It maybe doesn't cover every single bit of it, but it goes a long way. And so if you're really if you're one of those people that are like, Okay, do I pay the deductible or do I pay my rent? That medpay is the difference in being immediately in financial crisis, especially if somebody has to take a week or two off work, and being able to kind of maintain the status quo and pay your rent and keep things flowing forward. Dmitry, you had a question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Dan, you know, I've always been a big advocate of proper insurance in case I incurliability while driving or doing something else. But a fundamental shift in my thinking started occurring back when I I'd say six seven months ago, and I started seeing John quite a bit over here in the course of our participation in the show. And one thing that he impressed upon me is the importance of look at this as buying insurance for yourself. Right because of what he just said, you know that both cars on your side are statistically uninsured, are severely underinsured. So that has been the shift and the reason that I want to buy and do buy auto insurance. So here's my declarations page. And in the context of what I just said, can you please review and this is a state farm policy, and can you please review this. By the way, these are all limits. They won't sell me any more insurance. So not only would I ask you to review my limits, but can you also bring into that discussion what you said about an umbrella policy amplifying these limits? If so, to what extent would each of these light items be amplified by million dollar policy? And also, is that million dollars actually divided into small sub sections for each of these line items? Or can I expect a million dollar amplification to each of these line items within the context of a million dollar total limit? That kind of makes sense.
Speaker 2: You're going to have to put that question in writing. I'm spreadsheet to answer all that. We're going to go to a break here right now, we'll address Dimitri's declaration sheet and and we'll sum it up in a much more concise question right after this break.
Speaker 7: Hang on, guys, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait time for an insurance checkup free no obligation. In comparison, call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, all right, good afternoon. John Fuller back with the Troubleshooter Network. We are trucking along here. We are here to help you solve your problems. We've got a couple open lines here. We'd appreciate your call. The numbers three or three seven one, three eight two five five. We are here to help you, not just with insurance issues. That is a rare opportunity to have two, you know, people that are kind of on opposite ends of the insurance world. One selling and one really using what people have bought to its intended use. When you have accidents and we have people that are that are injured and making claims and stuff, and so you know, many times I have cases where I wish the people had bought new are not new, but different or more insurance or better insurance coverage. And then we're talking here with Dan Mahoney, who's on the other end of it, as the person as frequently recommending to people that they buy different coverage and probably many times is perceived as you know, doom and gloom and talking about risk of things that never happened. But they do and I make John's dreams come true. Absolutely. We we like Dan, you know, so you know, we've we've covered a lot of subjects today. We'd like to hear from you. So if you have, you know, if you're one of these that says I have great coverage and I don't need fill in the blank, I don't need uninsured, I don't need medpay, I don't need whatever the case may be, I want to hear from you because not to not to belittle you or anything, but just it's a valid, you know, perspective that many people have, and we're here to talk about the effects that that decision has in the event that something happens. And the worst thing in the world is to think you have great coverage and then find out that you really don't, or that you you know, you you didn't get a particular coverage because you thought it did something else, or you know, in my practice, I've had so many people come in and sit in my conference room after their you know, their loved one is injury and then the hospital or something, and they're like, god, you know, I got great insurance, you know, and it's like I got an umbrella. I got a million dollar umbrell. I got coverage like crazy. And you have to tell that person, look, that million dollars is liability only, and it's great if you happen to cause the accident, but it does zero for you if you weren't at fault and the other person doesn't have great insurance. And so you know, that conversation I personally had with clients, I bet fifty times over the years that I've been doing this, and it's a very real thing. And it's never, you know, it's it's just never a case where people say, you know, man, I wish I didn't buy all that insurance because it's you know, what a waste that was. It's always the case that more is better, and it it helps people get made whole a lot better. So we were talking about medpay and some other stuff, and Dmitri brought up ninety four part question with sixteen subparts and everything else, but it kind of boiled down to having Dan look over and discuss the limits that Dimitri had on his own personal insurance policy, his real live declarations page, and to not only talk about the level of coverages that he has, but whether or not the you know, his coverage profile, if you would, would be enhanced, or you know, what would the addition of an umbrella do to your overall analysis. So with that, I'm going to kind of turn it over and let you analyze all ninety four parts of the question.
Speaker 5: That's like a college these Good luck with that, so real quick, let's put a couple of definitions around these things. So a declaration page is a ten dollars word for basically your policy summary. Usually it's one to two pages. Anything that actually has a dollar amount that you're paying, that's usually your declaration page. So don't be afraid of it when you go to look at it, because I know that your policy is like ninety some pages. You're just looking for the ones that actually have dollar mats that are charging you. That's going to give you your summary. The second thing to keep in mind to you with insurance insurance, you know John just said the word make you whole insurance is really a transfer of risk.
Speaker 2: That's that's all it is. It's a transfer risk. So if it's your house, your car, something you.
Speaker 5: Have a value, you go to insurance company you say, hey, i've got this thing, it's worth something. I want protection in case something happens. They say, okay, for this amount of money, we'll protect that. We'll take that risk. So we're transferring risk. So as we look at Dimitri's deck pages, again, this is just the summary, and this is a carrier I don't work with, so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I can talk generally about where he's at and what we can do with this. So we start off first with bodily injury limits. This is the one that usually is listed by number, slash number, slash number, in this case two hundred and fifty thousand, five hundred thousand, one hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: What's that saying is that outbound I have two.
Speaker 5: Hundred and fifty thousand dollars of coverage towards anyone that I injure or cause issues for. In an accent, I have five hundred thousand dollars aggregate. Aggregate just means it's a pool. You can use it any way you want. You just cannot exceed two hundred fifty thousand per person or five hundred thousand total for the accent.
Speaker 2: And what does the word outbound mean?
Speaker 5: I use outbound to oversimplify it, but basically, if you cause an accent, you're at fault.
Speaker 2: You injure someone else. This is where it's coming on. So it's money that's available to help pay for damages that you caused in a potential accent. Correct exactly, it's for that party that you damaged.
Speaker 5: So the two fifty five hundred again five hundreds combined or I'm sorry, it's an aggregate. So if you have five people one hundred thousand each, you're great. Two people at two fifty each, you're great in this scenario. Now you got ten people in there and they all have one hundred thousand, your policies, it's not gonna sacon. Next line after that you're going into is the property damage is just one hundred thousand dollars. I just saw a report the other day is an average new car is something like forty So if you have state minimums, you're already you already missed the boat. I mean, if you toldal someone's car, you're you're totally in bad shape.
Speaker 2: There is that liability coverage also part of the property damage coverage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that that last number is gonna be the property damage portion of it.
Speaker 2: The liability amount is intact without any regard to what's done on property. There's no way you could exhaust the liability by taking care of a really expensive property claim. Correct, It's a.
Speaker 5: Separate line item, separate coverage that's on there.
Speaker 2: Rolling through the policy.
Speaker 5: You also have twenty five thousand dollars in medpay typically that's about the most I'll see a carry offer. We just got done talking about that. Medpay really helps kind of close that gap between your first dollar of care until your other care kicks in, whether it's Medicare or you're you're awesome insurance policy or whatever it is that you have in your back pocket that you think is going to jump in. Also helps out if you have a passingers you're in your car who may not have insurance or good insurance. Deductibles are deductibles. Again, I'm going to simplify this comprehensive. Basically, I just say it's like an active guy. Something happens, your car, tree falls on and hail hits it. This is where comprehensive. Is you pay a certain amount, they pay the rest. Collision. Again, to oversimplify it, I say, this is what comes to play. If you're at fault and you hit something else, now the collision. If I damage your car, Dmitry an accident, I'm at fault, my coverage actually starts at your very first penny, So there's no deductible experience for me or you. My coverage automatically starts at the first penny. Now my deductible for my car that I hit you with. Now, in this case, I have to pay the first thousand, they're going to pay the rest.
Speaker 2: So let me interrupt right there, we're going to go to a real quick break, and we're going to come back and get a little deeper into We've actually got a caller with a question on insurance that will take right after this break, and then we're going to get into some of the more nuanced coverage like uninsured motorists and how that differs from liability coverage. Okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content than.
Speaker 7: Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, John Fuller here on the Troubleshooter Network. We are talking about all things insurance this afternoon with me as a guest. Here in the studio is Dan Mahoney. He is the principal of the Insurance Group of Denver. You can contact Dan at seven two oh four to three six one nine zero after the show with all of your insurance needs. But he's here in the studio and we're answering questions. We're going to go to the lines here if you have a question about insurance, if you have a question about coverage, if you have a question about claims, property accidents, anything to do with insurance, by all means, pick up the phone the number seven one three eight two five five. That's area code three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We're going to go right to the phones here. Tim, you have a question about auto insurance. What's going on? Tim?
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, thanks for taking my call or a very informative show. So I need your take on my situation two thousand and nine. I buy a new vehicle. I finance it, full coverage on it. It's been paid off for years.
Speaker 2: Okay, the the.
Speaker 3: Value of it right now with the age and mileage is probably less than two thousand dollars. I'm still carrying full coverage on it. What should I do? Should I just go to a straight liability with maybe an umbrella policy or what would be your suggestion?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeh, I'll let you address that.
Speaker 5: And then when we're talking about liability only, I always ask people what their pain threshold is. Basically, how much money can you afford to lose if someone came and stole that car in the middle of the I caught on fire, tree, fell on.
Speaker 2: It, etc.
Speaker 5: So, if the value of that vehicle is within your pain threshold and you don't mind self insuring if you will for that, I don't think there's a problem at all. The one of the things that you should consider is that ask your agent to give you.
Speaker 2: A look at the.
Speaker 5: Cost of both sides, because sometimes older cars also are really inexpensive doing sure. So if you're only saving eighty bucks, I think I would rather pay the eighty bucks than hold on to the three grand, because you don't know when somebody is going to steal your car.
Speaker 2: Yeah or something, Tim, do you have other cars on the same policy.
Speaker 3: No, I've just got the one vehicle and that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, yeah, So, and I.
Speaker 3: Drive very little. You know, I'm a old guy, so I don't get out on the road much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: If you're a guy who saves money, you got plenty of money in the bank. You're willing to take the risk. I think it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, But the main thing is, maybe compare the costs between going straight liuability with the umbrellas versus what I'm paying now.
Speaker 2: You might be surprised at the difference. I was going to say, it may just be so insignificant that you'd want to just keep the full coverage. The real important thing, which I'm glad that you're doing, is that your liability limits are enough to even qualify to get an umbrella policy, which for most carriers, I think is usually around the two point fifty mark. And then and then you have that umbrella above, so you're not going to be in that position like the listener that we were talking about earlier, where you know, God forbid something happens. It's you know, the value of the vehicle is is nothing compared to the overall potential issue that you could have, you know, following that accident.
Speaker 3: So you know, on the hook for In other words, that's.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, sir, You're exactly right. Hey, thanks for the question, Tim, appreciate the call today.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're back, appreciate it. We're going to go next to Oscar, who has another question about auto insurance. What's going on? Oscar?
Speaker 16: Oh, similar to the gentleman is talked to you. I have a two thousand and three oh watches see four point thirty s Nick Lexus. However, I have some coverage, but I have another power similar and I'd pay about twenty eight hundred dollars a year for both of them. Boxes.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, Oscar, we're going to put you on hope for just a second. We're having a hard time understanding of their phone is very garbled. If you can try to stand on one leg or go to a different part of the house, we'll come right back to you in just a second. We just can't hear what the issue is, so we're going to go next to Tom, who has a question about motorcycle insurance, and Oscar will try to come right back to you in just a minute. Tom, what's going on, Hey.
Speaker 18: Gentlemen, show really appreciate your information.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 15: I wrote Harley's still do, but.
Speaker 18: Not as much in the nineties and insurance back then, I had supplement to my employer, which was AFLAC, and also PIP to the insurer. Then I got ran over in two thousand and then those really helped contribute to my medical bills. I don't know if PIP or AFLICK are still in the picture for motorcycle riders.
Speaker 2: PIP has gone well. PIP was part of that no fault that we voted out about twenty years ago. That was called personal Injury Protection. That's what PIP stood for, and that was the mechanism on your policy. And it was particularly, you know, really unique on auto policies or on motorcycle policies because many of the carriers wouldn't offer PIP for motorcycle riders. So there were a couple out there that did, and you were lucky enough to have one. But we don't have PIP anymore now. Was your a flag that's like a supplemental disability type policy?
Speaker 18: And that was through my employer? Okay, I work at a hospital, so I heard lots of stories doctors hanging out in the er that they knew I ride, and they told me.
Speaker 15: That's what I should get.
Speaker 18: Luckily I did because I did end up getting hit by a drunk driver.
Speaker 2: Gotcha cool? So what is your question today? Are you looking for what the right coverage is writers?
Speaker 18: Is there something they can do for is it supplementary or.
Speaker 2: DAN?
Speaker 9: What do you do with your protection?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the supplemental you would still buy through your provider or your.
Speaker 2: Employer.
Speaker 5: But this also kind of ties back to medpay, so you can also, you know, ramp up your medpay to twenty five grand. It's it's not a duplicati affleck goes a little bit further, but it will give you a lot more latitude in your care and treatment.
Speaker 18: So what about using specific to a motorcycle rider? Because when I went through my accident, Roy Romer had put a tort in the law, and with my settlement, the hospital ended up being able to take out how much they I incurred while I was there out of my settlement.
Speaker 2: So that's a little They took out the amount of the claim for the supplemental on your settlement.
Speaker 18: No, no, for the hospital bills that I incurred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's actually exactly how it works. So and that goes back to what I was talking about earlier. When you incur bills as a result of an accident, those are actually your bills. They are your responsibility. There's no mechanism to just give them the name of the AFOL party and all of a sudden have them build that guy because he caused the accident. There's still your bills. It's just that those bills constitute the damages that you have the right to go after the at fault party for. And a lot of people don't don't understand that. They think and even hospitals kind of lead them to believe that, oh, yeah, we'll just build the we'll just build the at fault insurance company. Oh that's progressive. We'll send a bill to them. Those bills never get paid, and so a smarter way to happen are to handle your cases or just to understand that up front and know that the better way is to use every type of insurance that you have, be it medical payments, coverage, be it your own private health insurance, be it Medicare, Medicaid, your afflex, every single thing that you have that covers you. You want to deploy that in order to get the personal financial impact of that accident down as low as possible for you. And then at the end of the day, we'll go after the at fault driver for the totality of your damage. But those two are completely separate numbers. If you're able to get the out of pocket on your down to next to nothing, that doesn't mean that your damages are any lower for the guy that caused all of the need for that medical treatment and all of those bills in the first place.
Speaker 15: Does that make sense, Yeah, it does.
Speaker 18: And I think I misspoke because I did get a settlement from the other driver, okay, and the hospital took the money off the top.
Speaker 2: Of that settlement, yes, sir, Yes.
Speaker 18: So it's like they double dip. They got the insurance and they got my settlement money.
Speaker 2: Also, Yeah, that can actually happen. And you know, the only benefit of that arrangement is if you use your private health insurance and it gives you the ability to reprice the medicals down to a lower contract amount, then the actual expense of that medical treatment to you is quite a bit lower than what the expense is going to be to the at fault guy that we're going after for your damages.
Speaker 9: Okay, So is that.
Speaker 18: Still a law that they can come after a motorcycles if it's they get a settlement for their injury accident injury.
Speaker 2: It's not just get money. Yeah, it's not just motorcycles there, Tom, it's it's everybody. Those health insurance companies have a right to get repaid whenever they use that. So that's a great topic. We're going to come back and visit about sebrogation and how that actually works. We'll touch on that in just a moment. We got to run to a break right now, Tom, thank you for the call. We've got Oscar still waiting, hopefully he's got his phone worked out and Dave on the line. We'll get to in just a moment. Hangk ty, guys, go with a sure thing.
Speaker 7: Denver's best roofer excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty.
Speaker 2: Two for here for the Troubleshooter Network. We are rapidly moving through the afternoon. We are talking about all things insurance today. Our guest in the studio is Dan Mahoney with the Insurance Group of Denver. Dan's an independent agent, so he's able to talk about I don't know how many lines do you guys write for, like thirty different companies or.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we probably have eight to ten what we considers the standard market Travelers Hartford, Safego, and then we have a whole nother set back end which are called access and surplus or specialty carriers.
Speaker 2: Right, So I mean the advantage of an independent agent versus somebody that is, you know, a single branded carrier. I mean, are you often able to really put together more you know, competitive packages for your your clients than than those guys are Who do you think the proper Let me put it differently, all right, who's your ideal client? Who do you want to see coming through your doors?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: You know, auto and homeowner, somebody who wants to do the right thing. Keep in mind, any income can be garnished. Even if you don't have means that somebody can come after you're still exposed. So we want people who want to engage with us, not just somebody wants a price, Because if you just want a price, you're you're never going to get the right product and you're always gonna be unhappy with what you bought. And then the Yeah, everyone says insurance sucks and they hate it, and that's wise because you're not buying what you think you're buying.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, it's it's absolutely a common sentiment. Dave, you've got a question on insurance. Let's uh, let's see what we can do for you there, Dave, go ahead.
Speaker 15: Hey, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 17: My question is I drive a company car one hundred percent of the time, both for personal and for business. And it's one hundred percent paid for by the company. Okay, when I'm driving that at my personal time. Your discussion has me wondering, like how safe I am if someone is uninsured?
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 17: Oh, I was wondering if you could comment on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if your company's commercial policy allows you for personal use, that coverage should extend over. An option that you can do is what they call a non owned auto policy, which basically structured like an autopolicy, just no car there. They're actually very cheap to buy. It's also a great alternative for folks that you know, living downtown Denver where you don't have a car, you're riding scooters, you're taking uber as, you're driving with friends.
Speaker 2: Did Dave, do you have any other cars that you ensure in your household?
Speaker 17: I have a motorcycle, so I have a motorcycle policy.
Speaker 15: Okay, and that's say I don't want another car.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: So the important thing and what I was kind of looking for there, is that even when you're in that situation where the employer is providing you a vehicle and you're authorized to drive it both personally and for the business, is you know there are limits to what commercial policies have for their employees, and you'd be surprised, but a number of commercial policies don't really have uninsured motorists coverage. They just view that coverage as being redundant because they think, well, if my employee gets hurt, where comp is going to cover them. But they don't really think about the circumstance where the employee is not on the job but it's still driving that vehicle, where it would not be a comprolated coverage. And so I still think you need to be thinking about uninsured motorist coverage and you know the type of things that will stack on top of your employer's coverage in the event that something happens and it turns out that they have less than just phenomenal coverage. And an owned policy is a perfect a non owned policy is a perferfig way to do that. Even on your your motorcycle policy, you may have the ability to add that additional coverage that's not just motorcycle dependent, because some carriers are a little weird about you know, medpay and UM on motorcycle policies, and the law in Colorado allows them to do that. But on the non owner's policy, that Dan's talking about you can get you know, created for not a lot of money.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 7: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: With news need advice so you don't help Corn as fast as we can, Shooter's gonna help, come Dix.
Speaker 4: He is the Troubleshooter Show. Now Tom Martine, Hey, welcome back.
Speaker 2: To the Troubleshooter Show. This is John Fuller filling in for Tom Martino. I am a personal injury attorney in Denver, Colorado, and have been a longtime contributor and supporter of the Referral page and the Troubleshooter Page. And I'm here filling in today and tomorrow and Friday. So you're gonna get a whole bunch of me. But we are having a great discussion today. We've got Dan Mahoney in the in the studio. Dan is the owner of Insurance Group of Denver, and he's an insurance agent. He's an independent insurance agent, and so he's allowed us to have a whole bunch of conversations from the perspective of the guy that advising people on what insurance to buy and at the same time me the guy that's dealing with the after effects of that and how to work through claims and what's really the appropriate amount of coverage and how it all works. And so we've opened up the lines to your call. So if you've had any issues where you're unsure about your own insurance coverage, you've had a bad claims experience because of the coverage that you had, or you're just not sure how it all works between things like medpay and liability and umbrellas and all of this stuff that gets very confusing by all means, give us a call. The number is three O three seven one three eight two five five, and we are happy to work through every one of those issues with you from both of those perspectives and hopefully help answer you and a lot of other listeners questions. We're going to go right to the phones here. We're going to check in with Oscar. Oscar was telling us about his insurance on his two thousand and three Lexus and we had a little phone problem. Oscar, are you still with us here for you?
Speaker 17: Hear me now?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, you're coming through loud and clear. So how can we help you today?
Speaker 16: Well, you have a previous callers use along the lines which I'm going to ask about, and that is, uh, should I drop the assurance on the waxes and maintain full coverage on my my seventeen mansa?
Speaker 2: Is it just the value of the Lexus that has you thinking about doing that?
Speaker 16: Yeah, because Alan Edwins and whoever was between nine and I just wonder if I should you go straight wi bils here there's that issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dan, I think that does go right down the lines of the last you know the other color about.
Speaker 5: That, But it's your pain threshold and also about you know, getting a quote to see if it really makes sense financially. Insurance is a little unique that you know, just because you do something with one car, you think it might impact half of your policy if you have two cars.
Speaker 2: It's not really the truth.
Speaker 5: Insurance is measuring a whole bunch of different components and assigning risks to that. So even if you reduce use in one car, oftentimes the other car that you have on there might actually increase because you're shifting risk or more use to that other vehicle.
Speaker 2: Would the caller be better off looking at raising deductibles and stuff or maybe converting over to you know, uninsured property coverage or something instead of comping collision or what do you recommend there? You know, obviously keep all your liability in place, and again it's just your.
Speaker 5: Your pain threshold what you can afford to lose, and it may not be worth taking that risk either.
Speaker 2: Once you get the quotes back, Yeah, well, hey, thanks for the call, Oscar. We appreciate it. We're going to go next to John, who's been holding for a couple of minutes. John, you have a question about auto insurance. What is going on? John?
Speaker 15: Good show? Guys, I tuned in light, so I don't know if you've addressed this issue or not. What if you got a and this is not my circumstance, but I was just curious, what if you've got a nineteen year old kid, girl or guy, doesn't matter whether they have a driver's license or a Colorado ID, and they have no car, no insurance whatsoever. And they're renting these scooters going around by coors Field, this, that and whatever. And they lose control of their scooter or they're on their scooter and they broadside a car, do damage to the car, person may be injured, whatever. How that insurance handled.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Is the nineteen year old still living in your household.
Speaker 15: No no kid Whenever he needs anything, he gets rides from friends, that type of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where that non owned auto policy comes and play again. Right, tremendous amount of coverage on that and they else that people don't think about is especially nineteen year old, it's gonna be really cheap for him to buy that as supposed to actually having a car in there. And at some point when he goes to buy a car, if he's had that policy in place for a few years, when he's coming into the market, he's coming in as a preferred buyer because he's had insurance in place.
Speaker 2: Because there's a track record as opposed to coming in as not having insurance.
Speaker 5: Or uninsured, and he's probably gonna pay the difference anyway by that time.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir John, But guys, what if.
Speaker 15: You got the nineteen year old and, like I said, it's not my situation, but they just don't have insurance. They can't afford it, they don't buy it, they don't think they need it because they just ride scooters around and then they friends give them rides to go to the grocery store or whatever.
Speaker 2: So is your question from the perspective of the guy's car that gets hit.
Speaker 15: Yes, okay, how does he get his damages?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you how he looks to his or.
Speaker 15: Whether it's does that go on under the uninsured motors part or what?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly right. That's a great question. So it's just like any other accident where you're hit by somebody that doesn't have insurance. You're gonna look to your medical payments coverage, You're gonna look to your uninsured motorist coverage, and you're gonna try to you know, you're gonna try to piece together some damages there under your own policy, which which you know is a crappy deal, and you're gonna probably have to pay a deductible for your property getting fixed to you know, to fix your car door where the guy put a big dinger in it and stuff. But but I mean, that's why we have insurances for people. Whether it's a guy on a scooter or a guy in a car that has no coverage, or somebody that stole the vehicle and and there's no coverage. I mean, there's a thousand circumstances where the guy that causes the damage is not covered. Dimitri Okay, John, do you edicated me?
Speaker 15: I think I heard this right. I have a couple million dollar umbrella policy, but I don't have that under the uninsured mot uninsured motors portion.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, have you have you looked into getting that?
Speaker 15: What's that?
Speaker 2: Have you looked into getting that extra?
Speaker 15: Um?
Speaker 2: Writer?
Speaker 15: I think I'm gonna call my agent today after I get.
Speaker 2: Off one with you guys. There's a lot of carriers.
Speaker 15: Has ever offered it or even thought about it. I always thought, oh, I have two million dollar unbrother policies my wife and I and you know we're covered. We don't have any kids in the household anymore. You are not alone, and you want to pay the additional amount and get it for the because what is about thirty three thirty seven percent of people driving around without car insurance.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly right. So what you're going to find out there. And Dan was just telling me that this morning that a lot of the carriers now they don't want to ensure that extra risk for the uninsured motors coverage. But I can tell you that I would shop around on that basis alone. So if my carrier didn't offer that on an umbrella, I would go find a different carrier that did.
Speaker 19: And there's also specialty carriers that will do it, specialty carriers, So just the UMBRESSI all they're really concerned about is that you have the requisite amount of coverage down below in order to qualify to get the umbrella above.
Speaker 2: So if your carrier doesn't offer that, then I mean for the amount of money, it's it's pennies to change that coverage over to additional un for you and your family, and I think it's well worth every penny.
Speaker 15: Okay, Wow, you guys are very much, very well educated and appreciated.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sir, appreciate the call. Yes to me.
Speaker 6: A couple of comments about his call. I have a feeling he was asking more about the property damage caused by the scooter rider and his umbro is not going to help him, and you and my our mind is.
Speaker 2: Not going to help him.
Speaker 6: So I'm wondering because the scooter is not likely to do a whole lot of medical kind of damage to the driver of the vehicle, right, It's more likely a big dent. So does the scooter company itself have insurance that extends in these cases in the same way. For example, a car rental company is not going to let you take the car off the lot unless you either buy their insurance or have your own. Are the scooter companies bound by any of those requirements?
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of wild, Leon. I don't think many of them are dimitri most of them have. I mean, if you've ever rented one of those scooters, you would know this, and I have not either. But I did look hard at a case one time where a guy had been injured, and I was shocked at the length of the contract that you have to just scroll through and agree to, which nobody reads before they agree to it. But you scroll through it super fast and get down to the bottom. And I agree that's absolutely binding. And what you will find in those is that they disclaim liability for anything for anything.
Speaker 6: But that contract was agreed to by the renter of the scooter. But if I'm walking down the street that's right. A scooter rider who's got a head full of dope right causes serious injury.
Speaker 2: There's no state requirement that the scooter company maintained that insurance. So if the driver of it says I understand that I am liable for these risks and I agree to be responsible, then that may be your only avenue. Go back to the caller. Your nineteen year old kid that has no assets, it's living in an apartment that you know, has no car, no money, whatever, that may be your only source of recovery. So we're right back to where we started, which is using your own comping collision or using your own you know, you say, well, it's not likely to be injuries. Well maybe, but maybe it is. Maybe they swerve to keep from hitting the scooter guy that ran out in front of him, and they hit a pole or a building, and then we do have injuries, but still no insurance.
Speaker 6: And if I'm a pedestrian on the sidewalk that gets run over and injured, then is there any case to be made like this, Hey, that scooter company should not have given this guy a motorized vehicle that he took on the sidewalk and ran me over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a case to be made. But is there coverage to be afforded. That's a tricky deal. Let me tell you, man, these these scooter companies, you will find that they are so mired in different layers of corporate shield and stuff that you may find that you've got to find and figure out how to serve process on a company in China to actually get service a process. It's in federal court, it gets removed. It's a mess. And so again, there are circumstances where the only prudent course of action is for you to make sure that you're covered enough so that whatever happens to you and your family, you know that you've got that protection. And one of those ways is through just like the caller just had, having enough uninsured motorist coverage, you know, with the um writer, so that you and your family is protected. That's the only way I know is to have enough that protects me, because I don't count on the other guy having anything. So we're going to move along here we have, John, did that answer your question?
Speaker 9: It was right.
Speaker 15: I was more worried about the property damage. Okay, so it was more you know, who's going to fix the person's car?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who's going to pay for it? It's going to be you.
Speaker 15: Guys said, they don't, you know, can they give a guy to riding a scooter a d u I test.
Speaker 2: Or Yeah, they sure can. They can if your bike, Yeah, and your your bike or your horse. I know buddy's got a got a DUI on the back of a mule one time. But but yeah, you're right. Comping collision. It's your own insurance. That's going to be your only avenue. You can go through the guy in small claim's court and and try to get you know, get payments on that, but it it just comes back to you protecting you and and you know, unfortunately that's just one of those things. So Hey, appreciate the call, John. We've got another couple of calls lined up. We'll get to right after the break. Hang on, just a second, go.
Speaker 7: With a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up. Free no obligation. In comparison, call this insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one.
Speaker 2: Help.
Speaker 7: You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, good afternoon, John Fuller. Here we are wrapping up the last half an hour or so here of the Troubleshooter Show. I am a personal injury attorney. Today's show has kind of evolved into all Things about Insurance show, which is very cool because we've we've been able to talk about some things that we just don't ever, you know, run into, except when we have these crazy discussions. And we're fortunate enough to have Dan Mahoney in the house today and Dan is with the Insurance Group of Denver. You can reach Dan at at Igdenver dot com or seven two oh four three six one nine nine zero. Dan's an independent insurance agent, so he represents a whole litany of companies out there that none of which are on the sign above the door. He's not a branded like a Farmer's or an all state, you know rep. So he's going to be able to give you the benefit of knowing a zillion different companies and what they offer and how their coverage might best suit you, and so at least if you're considering a new policy for your family, it might be well worth your while to go sit down with Dan and kind of run through what your options are. We've got a few callers on the line. We're going to go to Steve at this point. Steve's got a question about auto and home insurance. What is going on, Steve?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was just interested. I'm retired houses paid for around a million dollars, and I was just kind of interested to know what are you what's your take there, combined the two of you guys in terms of what kind of coverage for the car and for the home, and do you recommend the umbrella policy. I talked with my agent the other day and they said an umbrella policy for me at a million dollars would be about a thousand a year, and that sounds like a lot, you know, if you think of it over twenty years or so. But I'm curious, what do you recommend for people like myself, Dan, what do.
Speaker 2: You what do you do with a call like this?
Speaker 5: Obviously there's a lot more information I need to know, but basics are you know, you're showing your home, you should have at least a five hundred thousand dollars liability Your auto should be at least.
Speaker 2: Two fifty five hundred. For umbrellas.
Speaker 5: John might be able to chime in on this, but I always tell clients that they should probably buy an umbrella that's roughly equivalent to their assets. Basically, I look at it as low hanging fruit. So if John's ever enlisted by someone that you might hurt, he's looking at assets.
Speaker 2: John knows that going against.
Speaker 5: Travelers hard for safego who whoever it is, for a three million dollar umbrella is a lot easier to play in court than going after you individually because you're a person solutely.
Speaker 2: There's a nice deflection there in.
Speaker 5: That Umbrellas again range between probably two hundred and twelve hundred. It's your underlying coverages and any other risk factors that are going to affect that cost.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask, like, Steve, what do you have for your liability limits? Already? Like are you.
Speaker 3: Getting a question, how I met.
Speaker 11: One hundred for auto one hundred and three hundred.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it might be the case that the reason that quote sounds pretty high is that they first got to get you up to that two fifty five hundred level before you're able to qualify for an umbrella. That's that's yeah.
Speaker 5: And actually if you move your auto too to fifty five hundred, the umbrella actually will probably drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I kind of think of your auto policy or your home policies like the deductible on your umbrella, right, So the higher that deductible is, the less the umbrella is going to cost.
Speaker 11: Okay, that makes sense. And then do you try to get the umbrella to match your money that you have in the bank or your total net worth including your home? So where do you try to get that?
Speaker 2: So I can kind of speak to that as a guy that represents plaintiffs only. So my clients are people that have been injured and are going after people like you that happen to cause an accident, and we're evaluating what to do about our damages. And so I can tell you from my perspective. You know, number one, I've got to have a client who's got damages that are that are significant. You know, if we're talking of fifteen twenty thousand dollars claim, we don't even have this conversation. But if we have a client that say, got a million dollars of damages, and I mean really a million dollars, they may have half a million dollars of medical bills and a couple of years of lost wages, and they're you know, they're going to have a lifetime of care. I mean, these are real damages that they're going to have to survive the rest of their life on. And so it's real money. When they're looking at somebody like you, they're evaluating, or I'm evaluating, does this make sense? Is this guy appropriately insured? Is his insurance policy the most valuable asset that he has? Or did this guy voluntarily choose to buy only enough insurance to satisfy the state limits or something such that his personal assets are more valuable. And I can tell you you don't get to go after both. You know it's going to be a well, with very few exceptions, you don't get to go after both. Most of the time, the insurance company is going to mandate that you agree to a release before they'll kick over those policy limits short of going absolutely to trial and getting a judgment. But if given that choice between taking the insurance policy and giving the release or not taking that money and going the long way of getting a judgment, dealing with the uncertainties of that and the expense and time, and then trying to go after and collect it, there's got to be a huge difference between your assets and the amount of insurance for that to be a worthwhile venture. Does that make sense?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it does make sense.
Speaker 2: So you know, talk to your agent about about up in those limits to the required amount that gets you into the ability to shop for multiple umbrella policies and then and then give a call to somebody like Dan to say, run it up the flagpole and just see what's out there in available coverage and do your price shopping. Then I think you'll be you'll be surprised that it may actually make really good sense for you.
Speaker 11: Okay, all right, good, Thank thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hey, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 12: Dan.
Speaker 6: How can he get a hold of you? What's the good number for this guy to call you? Our phone number, our.
Speaker 5: Entry number, if you will not a direct number, the base number seven two zero four to three six one nine nine zero. That's seven to two oh four to three six one nine nine zero. Or you can visitor webs said ig Like Insurance Group and Denver Igdenver dot com.
Speaker 2: Cool. Uh, Patrick, We're gonna be right back after this break and we will take your call first up on the other side, so everybody, hang on, give us a call. We'll be happy to work through your issues as well. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 1: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 7: Wait time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, good afternoon. You're back live at the Troubleshooter Network. I'm John Fuller. As you all know, I'm a personal injury attorney here in town, and we are talking today about insurance and mostly auto insurance and stuff. We did have a question from the YouTube listeners about, you know, your short term care or your long term care policies that you hear some companies offer out there. Dan, What experience do you have with those with those policies. What are things that the listeners need to look out for as they're considering that kind of coverage. Yeah, great question.
Speaker 5: Just to disclose also is that in the state of Colorado you have to have a special designation to sell long term care. I surrendered my designation just because the market is narrowing quite rapidly. A lot of companies are no longer playing in that space. Short term care is usually something you're going to get from your employer. It's going to do that just short term care. Long term care is looking at assisting as you get older, if you have medical issues you need a lot of treatment around the clock. That's usually where that's going to kick in the cost of the policies. They're not cheap, but they are very good. It's a great way to protect an estate and assets. Again, not a lot of companies do it anymore, and you need to go through someone who still has that designation as an option. There are some term life policies that have what they call accelerated benefits, and some of those companies will allow you you to use the proceeds of that policy pre disease to pay for things like critical care other more expensive end of life treatment options. But they're usually only giving you seventy cents on the dollar the benefit of the policy. But it's a nice workaround. It's easier to underwrite, maybe less expensive to buy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Color, If you have any more specific questions, to give a shout and we'll try to work through that. Patrick, you've been holding for a while with a question about auto insurance. What is going on? Patrick?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Hi, So I have a twenty fifteen Ford Mustang and my insurance Progressive.
Speaker 4: I had it.
Speaker 2: I bought it.
Speaker 20: It was nice, look new, everything was good on the body. And then about a year later, so I bought it in June of twenty three, and then about August of twenty four, the back quarter panel started peeling off and it looks like someone bondoed a previous repair from a previously accident on it. And I tried to put in an acclaim and they said it is not covered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're saying that because the damage didn't occur while you owned the vehicle or pre pre existed the ownership of the vehicle. Is that is that what they're telling you.
Speaker 3: Pretty much. I'm just making sure that's accurate.
Speaker 2: And that's I mean, that's not that's not play in dirty. I mean that that's the insurance company saying, you know, we're going to ensure against any risk from this date going forward. We're not going to ensure against anything that's not yet discovered, you know, So that I have to say I'd de side with the insurance company on that one. Your recourse in that situation is always going to be looking back towards a person that you bought the vehicle from, or the dealership, and whether or not there was full disclosure of the damage. I mean, those kind of areas I think would be more fruitful for you than to look at the insurance company. They're just going to say we ensured the vehicle. There's not a covered event that has happened here that would invoke our coverage that would allow you to fix the body, repair or whatever would happen.
Speaker 5: So as an alternate, something you might want to consider is if you pull a carfax and you find the shop that actually did the work, you might be able to go back to them and see if there's a warranty that will apply. Oftentimes, insurance companies, the contract or the shops that they use, will guarantee the work. But it's only the life that you own the vehicle, right, so there might be a limitation to it. But if it's a good shop, republe shop, they did something wrong, they might get you in and do something for you.
Speaker 20: Go ahead, Patrick, Yeah, that's correct, because Calper Collision is the one who did it, and they did it in New Mexico. But yeah, as I read their warranty, it's only for the person who owned the car at that time.
Speaker 2: Correct. How extensive is the damage, Patrick.
Speaker 20: I got a quote for it. They want forty six hundred dollars longer because it needs a whole new quarter panel.
Speaker 2: Holy moly, I wouldn't think a quarter panel would cost that much. Do you know how long ago Collision did the repair?
Speaker 20: Yeah, they did it, I think late or early twenty twenty, early twenty twenty three, I believe maybe late twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: I think I'd go argue with them because body works should last long. Absolutely it should absolutely, yeah, warrant.
Speaker 20: They literally just bonded it and painted it and called it good.
Speaker 2: You know, Caliber is a big operation. I mean, they they they're not insignificant. They've got a presence I think in probably just about every state out there, and many of them in Colorado. I mean, I kind of think that I agree that they should. You should be able to have a hard conversation with them about, you know, at least compromising the cost of the repair, because certainly, you know, whoever paid them for the first repair didn't really get the benefit of the bargain out of it. It was that warranty that you were buying and expecting to get coverage on. So I don't know that's going to be a tough one, Patrick, but I don't think Progressive is going to be on the hook for it. And if you subsequently have an accident and it damages that quarter panel, the risk you run is that they're going to say, well, that was previously damaged and we're only going to pay for our apportionment of the personage that it was damaged more. And then you're gonna be you know, you're gonna be kind of double double victimized there if you will, for lack of a.
Speaker 20: Better word, Okay, if I got it properly repaired, like a whole new quarter panel and all that, would they then yeah, maybe cover it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely they would because because once it's back to being all repaired, it's in the exact state that they insured it in the first place. And as soon as you actually had a covered event, that insurance policy would kick in and then they would have to do what they have to do.
Speaker 20: So yeah, perfect, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bet. So, we still have half of Dimitri's question over here, and we were just getting into the the uninsured motors side of the game in the limited time that we have left, and we're gonna have to go to break here again in a second. But Dan, I would like you to talk about, you know, uninsured motorists coverage and talk a little bit about those uninsured you know, writers that you can kick onto umbrella policies and how that actually works and why it might be advantageous to try to get that on your policy and whether or not what was the word that Dimitri used, whether his coverage was eliminated or amplified. Amplified that was the right word, sorry, whether his coverage was amplified by the president or lack thereof of the subpart of the secondary paragraph of uninsured motors coverage.
Speaker 6: From the main overwriting perspective that I learned from John over the month. I want to insure myself, right, I want to buy insurance from me.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's what you should do exactly. All right, We're going to address that question right as soon as we come back.
Speaker 7: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup. No obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, welcome back to the Tom Martino Show, the Troubleshooter Network. This is John Fuller. We are wrapping up our day here. We've got just a few minutes and we wanted to end on a high note with Dan discussing, you know, umbrellas, and then particularly the ability to add a um writer to an umbrella and why a party may want to do that. So from your perspective as an agent, and give me your best shot, right.
Speaker 5: So, an umbrella, just think of it as an umbrella. It sits over your underlying policies. Underlying policies actually require a certain amount of coverage already being written in them.
Speaker 2: The umbrella is going to act essentially as a multiplier of whatever that underlying number is. So just on liability, just.
Speaker 5: On liability, nothing else, and that includes the uninsured motorist. Some companies will do an endorsement for uninsured motorists on an umbrella, meaning what meaning that there's not a lot out there?
Speaker 2: No meaning that an endorsement means, oh, I actually extend the um to the limits of the umbrella. Right.
Speaker 5: So, now, in this situation, if you have the UM of two fifty five hundred, you have injuries exceeding over a million dollars. You can't mow your own lawn anymore. You need help, go to the bathroom. All that you need a lot more money. You can go back now into your own umbrella, trigger that endorsement, and then you can go after your own umbrella for that those funds that you need for.
Speaker 6: Is that an addition to the auto policy or does that become the new limit? Okay?
Speaker 5: In this case, it's going to become a new limit. The umbrella will multiply the rest, but the personal injury doesn't.
Speaker 6: Usually, So I wouldn't collect one and a half million with a million dollar un brell policy. I would just collect the one million.
Speaker 2: No, you would.
Speaker 5: You would bet you would collect from different sources. So your underlying policy with a five hundred your umbrella, if you have the endorsetion, okay, another million, okay, so you still would get one point five.
Speaker 2: Very cool, thank you. Yeah, so it's a it's a cool thing, it actually. I mean listen, umbrellas are only for liability. That's all they do is extend the liability. They don't protect you or your family for anything until you get into a claim that would trigger your uninsured motorist coverage. Okay. And if you have a traditional umbrella, what you'll find is that you have a in your case a half a million dollars of uninsured motorists. But you turn to your umbrella that you think is wonderful when you find out that it has no additional coverage for the underlying uninsured motorist portion of your policy.
Speaker 6: Unless I specifically bought the correct kind of umbrella. And what percentage of umbrella I didn't know about this until yesterday. So what percentage of umbrellas are there are actually.
Speaker 2: Do what I wanted to do? Almost none?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can only think of two or three carriers that will even offer it. Oftentimes people don't want to buy it. I actually just did when I think this week, I think it added two hundred and sixty dollars to the policy to add the uninsured.
Speaker 2: Are you saying almost none of it added automatically or none of them offer it period? A lot of carriers just won't even offer it. But you do still have those that do specialty lines and stuff, and then we can also go to specialty lines if a carrier doesn't. I mean, is that a type of coverage that you recommend for your customers? Yes, you know, insurance.
Speaker 5: When you start talking about endorsements, you're starting to talk about percentages on percentages, risk upon risk.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at a certain point you can be over insured. So you know, if you're just worried about protecting assets, you've got enough assets you can take care of yourself. Something horrible did happen, maybe it's not a big deal to you. But for two hundred and sixty eight bucks and you have all those assets, yeah, you can afford it.
Speaker 2: So why not? Well, I you know, I look at it from a little different perspective because I'm representing people that that all of a sudden, through no fault of their own, are are handed this bill of goods. Okay, and that bill of goods may include a lifetime of medical care. It may which maybe they have great health insurance for, but that's really difficult to parlay out into a lifetime of care. Typically people end up on public assistance at some point in that process, Medicare, Medicaid through disability and that kind of stuff. But it's the income thing. If you're talking a high earning you know, somebody that's making and I don't mean like super high, but if somebody's making you know, one hundred maybe two hundred thousand dollars and they're forty years old with a couple of little kids in the house, and all of a sudden they're unable to work for the balance of their life. You're talking a gran amount of money, So I don't care how much money you've accumulated at that stage in your life, it's probably not going to be enough. And that's also a good reason why to buy it. As John is saying, well, yeah, no, that's why I'm saying it's mandatory. I believe so strongly in it. If my carrier told me that they didn't offer a um writer on top of the umbrella that I have, I wouldn't buy it from them. I would go to a different carrier, and I would go to another one, and another one and another one until I found that that writer. That's just me, but I see the effects of this every day in my practice, where we have so many cases where we have bad damages and not enough coverage. And so sometimes you hear Mark talking about all the time John got limits and John did this, it's like great. Sometimes limits is still a slap in the face and an insult because you're not even close to made whole. And a limit is a limit, and that's why it's called limit is a limit. So listen, we're out of town today or out of time today, Come back tomorrow, we'll be doing this all over again. My name is John Fuller. Save all your troubles for us. Thanks for listening.