Speaker 1: Ripped off, news needs who you.
Speaker 2: Don't have Corning's success as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help coming.
Speaker 2: Man, this is.
Speaker 4: The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: No Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome to the only let show of this guy.
Speaker 4: We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. My goodness, we are here to make your life a little bit better if you've been ripped off or taking advantage of. Maybe you got a problem with a landlord, maybe you got a problem with a landscaper. That's gonna start popping up a lot. In fact, landscapers, I'm gonna tell you something coming up in the next couple months. We start hearing a lot of problems all around Colorado and the country with landscapers. Be careful, pay as you go, pay as you go. In fact, the best way to do it is don't pay anything up front. But I will say this, if they do labor one day and you're doing an hourly deal with them, pay up front or pay daily. But man, do not pay the whole thing up front. You will see we have lots of issues. I remember last year, lots of retaining wall problems. Basically, landscapers had show up and honestly, just have no idea what they're doing. That's the bottom line. They shouldn't be in the business. Some of them might be outright crooks. I remember a few last year that basically showed up, took money and did nothing. So you got to watch out for that.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, doc, I can't think, Well, the problem is anybody can just get a couple of guys with shovels and rakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anywhere in front of the depot for that matter, and we'll just do your landscaping. Yep. Yeah. Make sure they know what they're doing. I mean, that's the that's the deal. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. By the way, this hour brought to you by Frank Dran, the real estate man. In fact, we talked to Frank yesterday. He's doing something really cool, free analysis. If you got your evaluation on your house or your property tax assessment and it seems high, he's gonna do a free assessment for you, a free valuation, so you can fight it. But listen, you got to basically get it done this month. The window these counties give you is so so small, it's like almost a month. I think it might be the fifth of June, it's over. But people's property ours went up, Suzanna and I's went up three hundred thousand, and I had him do an evaluation on it, and he brought it down about one hundred and fifty and gave me the comps to prove it. So I'll out of a zoom meeting with Douglas County. And I had to do this. I had to do this three years ago or two years ago as well. Brian, did yours come in yet? By the way, that's Brian Burns's compass insurance? Yep?
Speaker 7: Mine went up again. I did fight it a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: Did you win?
Speaker 7: Not nearly what I had asked for, but a little bit like fifty thousand or something I got.
Speaker 4: Mine went up, God, I don't remember. That was the big one. Was the one that just skyrocketed. It went up like five six hundred thousand dollars man, yep, and I got them to knockoff. Maybe I think it was about three hundred so, but it is, you know, every penny counts, man, absolutely. But what irritates me they're acting like hey boom, yeah, you know. I started thinking if I could sell that house for what they say it's worth now, I might put it up for sale. I mean, they just inflate these numbers. I don't even know what it's based upon. If I go to Zillow, realtor dot com, if I go to any of these things, my freaking house doesn't come near that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: And some people when they get these notices, they actually are like they think it's a compliment that their house is worth so much. And I'm like, no, no, you're just getting paid. You're gonna have to pay more taxes. That's the only only establishment. Yeah, so we got rid of the Gallagher Amendment.
Speaker 4: And basically what happened is the Democrats or basically the people we elected in Colorado, Okidoctas, about two or three years ago they said, hey, this year, we'll give you a really good deal on property taxes. Then it's going to go up at least. So what they did it is a change the way they value it. They went more to a real well the problem is now it's too inflated, but they went to a real value. Prior to that, the value was usually about thirty forty, maybe even fifty percent less than what the property was actually worth. So I understand that something probably needed to be changed, but the way they did it by getting rid of the Gallagher Amendment just killed us. I mean really, they screwed everybody here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because it's like you said, a lot of the values that come in now are higher than what the house is worth.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, and that's and that's where I started this. So Frank Deran, the real estate man, he's going to do a free valuation and plus you're going to figure out how much your house is worth. Doesn't cost you a dime, and he'll give you a report. I got mine the other day. It's about one hundred and fifty two hundred thousand less than what Douglas County says. Let me introduce somebody else, Robert Bruce, Integrity Electric and Home Improvement. You've been on our How long you've been on the referra? Man? At least fifteen? You got to get close to the mic and then hit the on button. There you go, man, rookie mistake here? How long?
Speaker 8: So I was here? Came in with Tom on two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: Wow, okay, that's almost you're coming up on twenty years. Hey, let me ask you something, man, did you get your valuation on your house, I did, was it up?
Speaker 9: Down?
Speaker 4: Went down?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 4: It went down. That's a wrapple Hoole County. Someone yesterday said theirs went down. Dang it. I forget who it was. It might have been a caller, but someone said theirs went down, and I was shock because mine went up by such a stupid amount. I mean, it's just like they throw a dart and whatever it hits the number, they add a couple of zeros to doc. You said, yours went up, but you're not going to fight at which I don't understand. Yeah, here's the problem.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: It's a new development.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Three other of the units, Yeah.
Speaker 6: That were exactly the same as mine. Yeah, came sold for two hundred thousand dollars more than mine sould.
Speaker 4: So the comps are right there. Yea, yeah, you know what, I think you're probably correct there. I mean if you had a neighborhood like an Highlands ranch, where you have ten different track homes, ten different models, and you have five or six of the exact same model, that would be kind of hard, especially in a condo, because they're identical units right here, pretty much. Yeah, so that they I get that, all right? Three oh three seven, one, three, eight, two five five. But if you go to Frank Duran Holmes dot com Frank Duran Homes dot com and just reach out. You can call him and just say, hey, I want that free appraisal. It's not really an appraisal, but the free comps and he'll put a report together and then basically you go to your county you say you want to basically fight it, fight the HM out there trying to charge you, and then you can upload all your evidence and it's a great way to do it. Plus the other thing that's nice when you get something from Frank a true valuation of your house, Brian, they can see if they're insured. And this kind of ties into you encompass insurance because how many people call up because you know everybody is getting worse and worse insurances we go. It's either going to actual cash value policies or a percentage of higher deductibles, higher deductibles. It's just getting bad no matter what. And just price increases across the board. So how many times when you quote a house now and Tom, I'll go to you in one second, how many times when you quote a house you find out that it's undervalued yeah, it happens.
Speaker 7: It used to happen a lot more frequently now I think insurance companies have been actively increasing those dwelling limits at renewal. Yeah, and so then you always run the risk. You want to make sure you're not over insuring, especially if you have a carrier that has extended replacement cost, and you know, we have a couple carriers that still do uncapped replacement cost, meaning that no matter what the dwelling, as long as you ensure for what they say, even if it exceeds that amount, they'll pay for it. So that's good, that's what you want. You want the onus on the insurance company.
Speaker 4: You adjusted mine, I think it was two years ago. It was pretty massive. Man, we had to go up. I mean a lot of money. It was ridiculous because off our house burned down. Literally we would be, you know, thirty percent under insured. I mean now we're fine, but that was crazy. So that's the other reason this valuation. They can look at it, see it and then look at their coverage and see them make sure they coverage. Because the Boulder fire, how many people were.
Speaker 7: There was a ninety seven percent of the people were under insured. After the Boulder fire percent. That's what the Denver Post came out with. That's such a crazy number. Like everybody I almost say what it was? Almost everybody was. I mean, that's absolutely bonkers.
Speaker 4: Hey, Tom, tell me what the issue is and then I got to take a break and when I come back, we'll figure it out for you. What's going on? Tom?
Speaker 9: Hey? Mark, So thanks sticking my call. About a year and a half ago, my little brother unexpectedly passed away.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: I had to hire Yeah, thank you. Hey. I had to hire an attorney and I was David Salisbury actually for the second time, to open up the probate. It was a very basic probate, only had his house. It was like seventy thousand dollars, not much there so, but I still had to open up a probate. Well, it's opened, sold the house, good to go. So I'm trying to get a hold of David. He was on your refram.
Speaker 11: He retired for a long time. He retired, bro, that's my that's my concern is the probate's still open. I need to close it out with Elbert County and I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a curious question. Let me do this. Let me get Dan McKenzie on and let's ask him if a different I don't know why you just wouldn't hire another attorney, but let's ask an attorney that does it and see what his option is. I mean, you didn't pay David and you were just paying him bill hourly right.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, he had a lump see that was his model. That was why he was so cheap. Two thousand actually this was twenty five hundred for the probate. I paid him up front.
Speaker 4: And what does he have left to do?
Speaker 9: Just close it out with Elvert County.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold on to seg let me get you on. Hold, let's do that, Kelly. I want to get I want to get mackenzie on. Three oh three seven one three A two five five three oh three Martino. We got three lines open and I'm going to try to text get me this guy's last name to Kelly, Tom's last name. Everybody holds tight.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven one three A two five five three oh three Martino, we got three lines open dying to help you guys out. And by the way, any questions, I'm going to tell you what. I'm gonna tell you what Robert Bruce does. Integrity electric Well, that's easy. You're an electrician. I assume you're a master electrician, not a what's the air is his mic on? I just can't tell no, Yeah, go ahead. You're a journey.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I'm a journeyman.
Speaker 4: Now, I astucate me really quick. What's the difference? I don't get it?
Speaker 14: Uh, journeymen and masters the biggest differences. Journeyman's do the work.
Speaker 4: And the master's pull permit. Yeah, and then train the journeyman. No, No, you learn all that on the out. So you can't pull permits or you can I can't, so when you do like home improvements for people, generally, I assume the resident or the owner of the properties one pulling the permit.
Speaker 8: Or oftentimes you know, if it's just like adding some lights or a.
Speaker 4: Ceiling fan or a ceiling permit needed.
Speaker 8: Well technically yes you should.
Speaker 4: But even but like just like swapping out a ceiling man, are you serious if not swapping okay, installing.
Speaker 14: Installing a new one where you let's say you've had to put a box in, Yeah, switch.
Speaker 15: In for them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So you should.
Speaker 8: Spend that extra hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Well I'm trying to think. Yeah, like a lot of people don't want to spend that anyhow, and if they had a I guess, I guess. Really, what it comes down to is you're supposed to do it to pay the piper. I mean, really, that's what it comes down to. Well you all pay that piper. Well, can you really get in trouble for it? Does that ever happen? Have you ever heard of someone like not pulling a permit, like even doing their entire basement, not pulling a permit, but using actual license plumbers and electricians because you don't want your house to blow up or burn down or flood. So I mean, have you ever heard anybody in here of like the county coming in and actually you know, smacking you around and assessing what you've done and then charging you.
Speaker 14: Like on a big project like that, they would red tag it, which means they would.
Speaker 4: Just how would they even know it happened.
Speaker 14: I've heard stories with people who are inspectors were just driving around and seeing a job site and stopped in to say.
Speaker 4: Hello, And that's crazy, man.
Speaker 7: I think also, and you would be the expert on this, but I think sometimes neighbors can plain when they hear noise, you know, construction going on in the basement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, turn them in.
Speaker 7: They will turn them in and they'll come out.
Speaker 4: I can get I built a big RV like garage, and I mean that would be so evident I had to pull it. Plus, when you're building a structure like that, I mean, I want to make sure the inspector comes out and looks at everything, because I'm dumping a ton of money into that thing.
Speaker 7: But even in basements, even if it's inside, they're still delivering lumber, they're delivering drywall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, might have a lot of evidence art well, our basement when we bought this house was finished, but the one we had in Castle Rock I finished over a very long period of time, like four or five years. And you know, we did the framing when the guy next door was building the house. I grabbed the framing crew, just paid him some cash to come over and you know, not dad out. Eventually did the drywall, eventually had an electrician come in. I mean, basically pieced it together in four or five years. I never pulled a permit on it. I mean I disclosed that when Frank Durant sold to the house. But I don't know so but hold on, Hey Tom, Hey Kelly. Did we get Mackenzie.
Speaker 14: He hasn't answered me back yet, so I'm not sure if he's unavailable or just in a meeting case.
Speaker 4: So hey, Tom, two things. One, I texted Salisbury and I have no idea if I'm going to hear back from him. I don't even know if he's in the state. So I'm going to text him. And I got your first and last name. What would the case be under or what what would he look it up under your brother's name or your name?
Speaker 9: Yes, it'd be under my brother's name, same last name.
Speaker 4: What's your brother's first name, Jeffrey. Jeffrey. I'm going to text.
Speaker 9: Earlier it was Elbert County. It's not it's Lincoln County.
Speaker 4: It's not Lincoln. Hold on, I'm just making a note here. So Jeffrey and Lincoln County, and all he has to do is clothes to just finish up the probate.
Speaker 9: Exactly, and it's all paid for it.
Speaker 4: Like I said, with Sulisburg, and that's how he did it. I didn't know that he did flat right. That's kind of cool, and I'll tell everybody out there what happened. His mother ended up moving in with him. She's pretty old and I hope she's okay now. She might have even passed by now, but it was full time care. I mean, she was in really bad shape. He was going to actually do some stuff for Suzanne and I probably about I don't know. I reached out to him maybe a year ago. It's been a while, and the bottom line was he said, I just can't. And I was kind of shocked because I've known him and he actually did our original trust. But anyhow, that's kind of the story. It's not like he's really ghosting anybody, but his mom's in really really bad shape. If she's still with us. I think she was in her nineties. I mean, it's it was a bad deal, But let me see if I can't get him to do that. If I can contact him, I'm sure we'll figure something out. Maybe he can pay somebody else to do it. If you already paid him. I'm sure we'll get it figured out. But what I'm worried about is if I can't contact him. But I think between Susanna and I, we probably have multiple numbers for him. So we'll try everything and make sure that Kelly has all your information so I can reach back out to you as soon as we figure it out. Good Mark, thank you for me you got him. Man, Sorry about your brother. You mind if I ask what happened? Just out of curiosity because you don't sound very old.
Speaker 9: Yeah. No, he was a great guy, and I kind of just a little bit of depression and then basically just drank himself to death.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's horrible.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's Horrible's six years old and just boom and I long long story, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, that's that's really sad. Man, I had a buddy like that. God rest his soul. Larry and the guy just couldn't stop drinking. I saw him drink so much one night I called his mother over. I was at his house helping him with a computer problem, and this guy drank so much. I looked at him when I got over there, I was like, dude, something's wrong with you. You're yellow, man, You're like totally yellow. And he was in jaundice. And I didn't know what to do. I mean, Larry at the time was sixty, I was probably kad I was probably maybe thirty. And I called his mother. I mean, he wasn't going to do anything, and he looked like death, and I called his mother. His mother came over, took him to the hospital. Sure enough, he was in full blown liver failure. And they got him to the hospital. And you know, when you're an alcoholic like that, they don't put you on the liver list. So this is kind of a sad story.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure why I'm telling you, but I am. I'll tell you why I'm telling it. So people out there, if they see the signs or if they're actually dealing with it. I mean, it's a real deal, man. So he turned yellow, goes to the hospital and he kind of rehabbed and went dry for like, I want to say, a couple months. I mean he really did, and he quit drinking. And I think he was smoking pot still, but I don't think that messages with your liver, not like alcohol. But the bottom line was he got back on it, man, and he was drinking a leader, not even a fifth a leader of vodka a day. I mean like three or four shots. I can't walk, But I mean think of like, what is that? Almost like community? You build up on it. And he was drinking that much. And then he quit again. And the second time you quit, he quit for a year. And that was really impressive. And I've known Larry forever. He was like a brother to me, and I thought, Wow, this guy's really going to get through it. After he was a year or maybe it was two years sober and he had the test, they put him on the liver list. Oh the other thing he had was HEPC. He got hep C, the only him in about eight other guys that were going to NOM. I guess back then, when they basically brought you to boot camp, they'd line you up in front of the bus and they'd stick you with the needle for whatever that needle's for. And apparently five or cents in his platoon all got hep C and they all think it was from that. So when you have f C and you're drinking, I mean, that's the double whammie. But anyhow, you're done, Yeah, you're done. He got on the liver list, Tom He literally got on this liver list, and he waited years, and you know, you're not at the top of the list. But he moved to Tennessee and he gets a call out of state and he had to drive I forget to what state, maybe it was North Carolina, and they got a liver for him. And he's telling me this, and he's telling his family here who I know, and he starts leaving to go get the liver. This is the saddest thing I ever heard. I have no idea what's going on, why it happened. I get a call from some county in North Carolina or whatever state he was heading to, and he got drunk at a bar and got a DUI on the way to get It's almost like unbelievable. It's almost like he didn't want to get it. I mean, there's something because because he was sober for so long, and then all of a sudden, when he was heading there to make sure the match and make sure everything was perfect, he literally got drunk and got a dui. It was saddest thing ever. And then he died. About God, he died maybe four or five months later. Like your like your brother, uh did just basically drank himself to death.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 4: Sorry to bring up that bummer story, but anybody out there, Yeah, if you know anybody's struggling, I don't know how you intervene. I mean, really it's probably it sounds easy to do, but I tried to kind of help Larry. And the weird part about Larry was he was sober for so long and then when everything was coming together, he like started drinking. Not only drinking, he got a dui on the way to get it. It's crazy. We got lines open three oh three seven, one three eight, two five five.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five, we got lines open. You have any questions you've been ripped off, taking advantage of whatever help you need. We can also get one of our attorneys on if needed. Let's talk insurance, Brian number one, how much your rate's going up this year on homes? Are you seeing it pretty flat or for the first time in a while.
Speaker 7: First time in a while, I'm seeing much less increases in rates and that. And really it's not because they've taken less losses because they had a terrible loss here last year. It's because you're seeing that the policies are being adjusted to take out coverage for hal It's worse insurance. It's worse insurance. It's it's it's starting to shift more of the responsibility of hail claims and win claims onto people, onto the consumers.
Speaker 4: So people at this point, like I did, you'd be smart to get truly a hailproof roof. Absolutely, because it's to the point where I mean, is almost all the policies ACV now or what are they?
Speaker 7: Not all of them, but I would say the bulk of them, after a roof hits ten years in age, will go to ACV almost all, not every single carrier, but there is the bulk of them.
Speaker 4: Do so even if you ever play I post who do I have Safeco?
Speaker 9: Three?
Speaker 7: You you have safeg and Safeco on a new policy they give that option. Now you're not you're kind of grandfathered in where you have replacement cost on your roof. It doesn't expire. Yeah, but they are one that would convert to ACV on new policies ten years at ten years yeah, so actual cash value so at the time of law, your your settlement would be would have depreciation in there. So they're go only going to give you the value of the roof at the time of loss. So the roof is ten years old, it's an asphalt roof, that's probably about half the life. They're going to only give you a fifty percent or you know, whatever that personation is.
Speaker 4: Doing is after the ten years yeah.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 4: So in other words, you can teen years you get full replacement.
Speaker 7: You can you can also choose to pay ACV right away if you wanted, but they will allow you to have ten years where it's replacement cost, and then on the renewal following the tenth year of your roof, it will go to ACV.
Speaker 4: I got it at that point, and you know, basically, if the roof's twenty grand, you're going to get ten grand. It's a ten year mark.
Speaker 7: Not just that ten. And then you're subject to your deductible. Yeah, of course, so you might have another five thousand deductible or whatever it might be. So you're again that's the reason you're going to see the rates on the home insurance starting to come down and call right.
Speaker 4: We add one one guy that called up and his was I think it was three percent of the dwelling yep, which is crazy.
Speaker 7: That's abnormal. That's abnormally high. But I do see two percent regularly now I see it now. One percent is the norm.
Speaker 4: So you could have though, but think about that if you got a million dollar house or what's the average I think Frank Durant told me they average like seven hundred around here. Yeah, so seven hundred to two percent You've got a fourteen thousand dollars deductible on wind in Hal, that's right.
Speaker 7: So if you have a roof claim that's covered, you're going to be out that first fourteen thousand.
Speaker 4: So what I did with you, guys, if I recall my deductible, I think on wind in Hal is like five thousand and you know, instead of one thousand. But I got a hailproof roof, so I'm really not worried about it. In fact, my deductible might even.
Speaker 7: Be tiger than that. You used to be five. And then once you got the roof, we talked to him. You're like, why wouldn't I increase it and saved the money.
Speaker 4: It could even be like fourteen thousand now, and it brought the policy down quite a bit. And I'm really just not worried about hail damage. I truly am not. I mean I even did the barn with that stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's what you're going to start seeing. It's going to start to pay off to get a more expensive roof, but one that is not subject to hall damage.
Speaker 4: Really, insurance has gone up, but if the price hasn't gone up, the coverage has gone down.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 4: So really it has adjusted again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you're not going to see it in the form of rate increases as much is what I'll see it. And I actually it feel like insurance, you're going to see it where you're going to have to be more responsible for the payout in the case of a lot.
Speaker 4: How about automotive? How about you know, driving insurance? How about auto insurance?
Speaker 7: So far, most carriers I've seen are flat on rate, if not one to two percent rate increases on the auto. So you're not seeing a huge increase on auto right now? Who's your go to on auto?
Speaker 4: Now? I realize, like with me, we have Safeco for the home and then when you bundle it with the auto, it's the cheapest overall for you for the coverage. Yeah. But like just Progressive for example, do they do they don't do homeowners do they? They do?
Speaker 7: But they have put a pause on homeowners over the last probably almost years in the entire coast in Colorado. In Colorado, Colorado. Yeah, so in Colorado they'll start writing again. But they're one that's going to have a two percent wind hail right away, got it. So, But as far as auto, here's the problem. It depends on the risk if you have young drivers. If you have teenage drivers, I would have a different place to go than if you didn't, or if you are over fifty five, there's carriers that will have much better auto rates than other carriers.
Speaker 4: How about how about in general? I know everything's different, but in general, someone that just has auto insurance, Yeah, who's your go to? Is it like Progressive? Is it Safeco?
Speaker 7: Right now, I would say who's pretty aggressively priced for standalone auto would be Travelers. Travelers, and that wasn't always the case, but now they are. They have really good rates. They're really pushing to get auto insurance. But I will tell you the other thing is a lot of these carriers now, including Progressive, push the telematics. Oh my god, I have to do it or else your rape it just goes up so much.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you why I refuse to use that. And we did use it one year with our son.
Speaker 7: You still have you have a discount for when you did participate. You guys still have a discount.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you now. First of all, I'm talking about my son. Yeah, and we had it on his and it was through you guys couldn't get him progressive in his state, Nebraska, and he ended up getting. For the life of me, I can't remember who it is. I'm going to figure it out over break, but I'm going to tell everybody out there why I would never, ever, ever put one of those devices that plug into your car, or if it's built into your phone in n phone apps. I don't care. This was not at the time. This was not at the time. Hold on three oh three seven one three talk.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your.
Speaker 4: Home with Remax Alliance.
Speaker 12: Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven one three A two five five. I think we got YouTube up. I'll check over the break. I'm not sure, but three oh three Martino, but we had YEP, I'm told it is up. So if you go to YouTube, you can type in Troubleshooter Network and kind of watch the show and listen behind this we were talking about. Actually, Brian, I was going to tell you it was one hundred percent progressive snapshot, okay, And what happened was is probably when our kids were younger, we had it, and our insurance was going to almost double, almost double after the first six months we did it. You get a discount for doing it. But when they pulled the data, my son would do so much hard breaking it was crazy. He drove like a maniac. I mean, call it what it is. But the argument would be he never got into an accident. There wasn't one accident, and I don't mean ever he did get into an accident when he was sixteen or whatever, but ever since then he was not in accidents. But he's a fast breaker, is the biggest thing. So I guess they think you're following too close all the time. What the track mostly Yeah, No, you're exactly right. It's heart breaks. It's that quick acceleration, acceleration. It's a time of day driving. So if you're you're consistently driving it one too you see that he worked at Walmart and he'd get off work sometimes at midnight. No problem, I mean that was not like unheard of.
Speaker 7: But that will affect you. And then speeding, But.
Speaker 4: How about just distance, like how much you drive per year? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, absolutely, that's massive. Yep, the amount of miles you're driving sea.
Speaker 4: And here's where my whole argument with this stuff is, so one of our cars we drive all the time because Suzanna and I are generally together, either here at the show or wherever. I mean, we're basically empty nesters. We're together all the time and always have been. So we usually have one car. That one car might have thirty thousand miles on it, but our other car might only get two thousand miles on it for that year. And I still pay based upon that high car. It's not like they care that the other car only does two thousand. So snapshot killed us on driving, and it really killed us with miles. But when Progressive went to renew that damn thing, it almost doubled, almost doubled because of that, never got into an accident. I mean, do you think that's fair. Well, here's what I would tell people to drive. The speed limit but they're eighty five years old and they run into stuff all the time, right, So it's you're still penalized based off of accidents way more than you are on the on the telematics.
Speaker 7: But the idea behind it is it's it's all based off of actuarials and statistical data. So they will be able to show you, prove to you that most of the time people that have those hard breaks are going to get an accident. It's far more than people that don't. So that's that's the reason that information is used. That's the reason they use that as a determining factor of the race. It's actual numbers, it's not it's not like a picking on someone because of that. It's yeah, but I like that, But then there's also going to be you know, the rate is also determined based off of people's tickets and accidents, so it's not just one thing that's being figured. This is just another way where people have have come through the years, and I've heard it many many times, it's like, why don't you charge me? Why am I having to pay for someone else that's driving around that?
Speaker 4: Because this really if everybody did it, everybody participated, then you're going to get a rudy system.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so it's still voluntary, voluntary, but I am telling you there are carriers that will in the future, I believe, not allow it. Otherwise, like you either are going to take this on. You're either going to do the telematic or we're not going to assure you, and then you find somewhere else to go.
Speaker 4: With Tesla, I looked at their insurance because they have their own coverage. I don't even know who it's through to yours.
Speaker 7: It might be their own stuff. Yeah, it could be it's a trillion dollar yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's really crazy because they look at your driving. They just pull all the data from that car when they're looking at you, and they can pull it from day one that car was born. Yep. And that's not good. That's not good because when I first got that car, you know, when you first get a fast car, let's just say it, you drive it fast. Of course, it came back so high like it was ridiculous. I mean, there was no way I could get that coverage.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was more than twice what you guys got me through Safego or whoever I had back then.
Speaker 7: But I bet you on those people that do truly go the speed limit, that drive very carefully with Tesla, I bet their rates are untouchable.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you this. In the last I don't know, six seven months, all I used for the most parts auto drive. Yeah, so it's driving. I wonder how they look at that, Like, do they look at someone that uses that eighty percent of the time is a very low, low.
Speaker 7: Low lane rich they do, I guarantee, because the otherwise, I mean, that's the whole idea behind it is that they're saying, having the computer drive the car is much safer, race safer than a person, and so if you're using it all the time, they would use that as part of the formula.
Speaker 4: It is so much safer once you once your brain accepts what's going on, it is so much safer. It's crazy. You've ever been like in a lane and you want to you're lik in the left lane, the far left, and you want to go to the middle lane, and someone in the right lane is going at the same time. I mean, the cars looking every direction at every second. We're a human, you've got to really look around and stuff. I mean, it's it's really remarkable what it does.
Speaker 7: I might retry that. Actually, yeah, now that you have that, it probably would. And that brings up a really good point, as I was able at this break to pull up your policy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you got the better driving. There's three drivers on your daughter. Yep, you're graduating law school tomorrow. She better not be speeding. My wife, who has gone to traffic school so many times I can't count, and myself. So you're gonna tell us who the high risk is. I'm going to who's got the well, no, not right now. We're going to take a break and then after the break and my money, my money is on my daughter and my wife because I am accident free for fifteen years, I have not I have one accident. I have not had one accident for over fifteen years.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up, free, no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 2: Ripped of.
Speaker 4: News need so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Run as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 5: This is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez, Welcome to the only show off this guy.
Speaker 4: We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints, if you've been ripped off, if you need help in any which way. That is what this show does. We have recovered over three hundred million dollars in cash, merchandise, exchanges and refunds directly due to the show over the years. And today we're talking insurance with Brian Burn's Compass Insurance. In fact, I should have done this last hour. If you have not had your insurance looked at, There's a couple things. It's very important. One I'd say make sure you have the proper coverage. Brian. You know you might be over insured, you might be under insured. Now, most people are never really over insured, are they.
Speaker 7: I mean, is it possible, Yeah, I mean it's possible on a home insurance policy to be over insured if they have have had you know, that inflationary increase through the years, and you know that it's exceeded. But it's abnormal. I agree with you, it's not very common.
Speaker 4: So people call up, Actually, what number do you want to give out Brian for it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the three three.
Speaker 4: So if you call these guys up, they're going to ask for your deck page, your current one. They're going to shop it with up to thirty different companies, and they're going to make sure you have the proper coverage, which is very important. What I mean by that is is your house undervalued? In other words, if it burns down or is it a total loss, are you actually covered? Because that's a big deal. We talked about the Boulder fires. Ninety seven percent of people affected were under insured. Now, one of the reasons was is because it was so harmful to the area, and all the contractors and all the homes that burned down, and all the lumber that was needed and all the things to build a house that was needed got very expensive supply and demand exactly. So part of the underinsured was because it wasn't just one home. Absolutely, But I will say this, Mine was drastically underinsured from when I purchased it, and we relooked at it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you just see it. You have to think through It's not a matter of what your house is worth if you could go sell it right now, it's really what would it cost for a contractor to come in and rebuild this exactly? It's expensive, it is. I mean it's way more than you think it is. But to your point, when you have a lot of losses in one area, the natural cost is going to go up.
Speaker 4: It's just anywhere there's fires California.
Speaker 7: Here, California one is going to be a fortune.
Speaker 4: They can't even rebuild you. Yeah, which is a whole different topic, but it's kind of crazy. I mean, those people, they're going to run out of money because most insurance companies give you, what a year to move or a year to find another dwelling to stay in or rent or whatever you're going to do, they'll give you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of policies only have twelve months of loss of use.
Speaker 4: And they can't even start rebuilding. I mean, most people are going to have loss of use before they can even put the first dig, the first hole for the basement or whatever.
Speaker 7: And then they're paying rent wherever they're living, and they're still paying a mortgage that they had on the home that burned down, so they're having double you know, house payments in effect.
Speaker 4: That's why it's so important to make sure he had the coverage. But if you call that three ZHO three nine ninety six, nine thousand, and a lot of people are like, oh, I love all State, I love State Farm, I've had him forever. Well, maybe the coverage sucks, but you don't know it because you've never had a claim. And maybe you can save thirty forty fifty percent, right, I mean, I realize that sounds drastic, but we've had people that have called up that you have literally saved. I remember one was ridiculous. They had they were worth about three million dollars and they had insurance that was the minimal of everything.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it had twenty I remember this because it was it was a couple of shows ago, and they had twenty five thousand a bodily injury limit. So if they got into an accident it hurt somebody, they'd lose everything they had. Their insurance would pay twenty five thousand, and then.
Speaker 4: They would go after the house or the condos and everything else they have. I mean big time. I mean that's just how it works.
Speaker 7: If you ought to make sure you have liability insurance, we were just talking about that and break. It is so important to make sure that if you have any kind of assets, you need to have an umbrella policy over the top of your liability, just so that if you get sued, you have somebody to protect you.
Speaker 4: Love people, and I really mean this. I would love for you guys to call them up now and let's get some real things during the show. I've got some real numbers to show people how much they can save. These guys also shop for you every single year. In other words, if something drastically changes, like there's a lot of hailstorms, or maybe you have a young driver or something along those lines, or if really nothing happens, if they think you can get a better rate from a different company, they'll shop you and they'll let you know, Hey, we want to switch you over to this because it's going to save you X amount of dollars. But call now three oh three nine ninety six nine thousand, and that's the insurance help center and quote Compass dot com is your website. But Robert asked an interesting question about umbrellas. Umbrellas typically you have to have what two fifty five hundred on the auto just to just to buy the umbrella.
Speaker 7: Yep, you got to have a bodily injury limit for most carriers of two fifty five hundred, two hundred and fifty thousand per person five hundred thousand per accident to be eligible for an umbrella. Now, umbrellas in themselves that gives you an additional million of liability or more or more you're starting get a million. It's usually one, two, three, four or five and up.
Speaker 4: So therefore, for the personal injury part, if you really hurt someone big time and it's you know, it's a couple million dollars or whatever, someone dies something horrific, I mean you're talking, the initial coverage would pay out that five hundred, and then the umbrella would kick in and pay out an additional million or whatever the coverage is for exactly keep going. And so but when and what I.
Speaker 7: See a lot of times that people do is they will increase that bodily injury limit to two fifty five hundred on their auto policy, but they leave their uninsured motorist at twenty five to fifty or at a lower amount. So crazy that means you're covering yourself for less more covering of other people.
Speaker 4: Now, Jonath Hollis says that all the time. He thinks it's the craziest thing in the world.
Speaker 7: It is crazy because they won't let you have higher uninsured motorist limits than you do bodily injury limits. They won't insurance companies won't let you do that. But why would you purposely ensure yourself for less. Whenever you have raised that bodily injury limit, make sure your uninsured motors limit is just as high.
Speaker 4: We had a guy call in probably I don't know, a week ago, two weeks ago, actually, it's probably been a little longer time, just freaking flies. But he had twenty five thousand and he had a million dollar house paid off. The older guy, I think in his seventies, he might even been in his eighties. I mean he was there though. I mean he was intelligent and put together. But he ran into someone and they're coming after him, and we had attorneys on and everything. But the bottom line was he had twenty five thousand, minimal coverage and he had a million dollar asset, and the insurance company was like the one coming after him. I forget who it was. I forget the one coming after him. It might have been I forget who was coming after him. When I say the insurance company coming after him, his company was sending him letters saying the other the attorney on the other side wants this information. So they sent him basically a questionnaire asking about assets and the reason he called in he wouldn't know if he needed to sign it and fill it out. And that's when we got attorneys involved, and it was just bad news. It was just bad news. Whatever the damages are, I mean, he's probably well, no one died, so I'm sure it's going to be under a million bucks. But they're going to go after his assets.
Speaker 7: Oh, you don't need death. We have someone right now. We just had a claim maybe two weeks ago where one of our insurance was turning off of Dry Creek onto I don't remember one of those, Regionaiversey or something like that, and uh, as they're turning, a motorcycle came was speeding but came over the intersection, ran into their her car and on as she was turning, hit the side of her car, flipped over, hit the ground, did not die. But immediately we've already our insurance companies already paid out one point five million.
Speaker 4: Whose fault was it?
Speaker 7: They're blaming her because she didn't have a green arrow. It was a green light, but she went as she turned, but they're saying it was her fault, her fault. So, yeah, the the motorcycles had no insurance, didn't have a license, and and was speeding, but she still trust accident. Yeah, one point five paid out right away.
Speaker 4: That was the whole thing. That was her max. But the settled, so they had an umbrella and then the five that's right, but at least they settled. In other words, they can't come after her after this. They've they've gave those right, if you have twenty five thousand, the insurance company will pay out that twenty five and then go away, and then they don't even give you defense at that point. Ye, so you have to pay your own defense and then anything more you're out, which costs a fortune.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so if you can't, if you actually have to get an umbrella.
Speaker 4: That's what the attorneys were saying about the guy who was telling you. They're like, you have to hire an attorney. You need to defend yourself on this because whatever attorney. I think it was a woman that she hired. They're gonna come after you for extraordinary amounts of money. You're gonna have to prove that the damages aren't that high, right, I mean, it's evident they're going to be over twenty five thousand, But if they come after a million, you better have someone on your side to prove there is attack exactly exactly the other thing, let's.
Speaker 6: Get close to the mike doctor and again I'm I'm with John Fuller on this. Go out and spend one hundred and fifty bucks on a dashcam.
Speaker 4: It will save you thousands of maybe million. Well, if you're not at fault, it can help you protect your inn as soon.
Speaker 6: If you're not at fault, you'll have definitive proof that you're not at fault. And for one hundred and fifty bucks, it's incredible coverage.
Speaker 4: No, it is credible coverage. And most people just think it's a pain, but really, all you gotta do, worst scenario, plug it into your cigarette later and buy one that's got a battery so you can unplug it if you want to, and then you forget about it. Yeah, then you forget about a hold tight three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We'd love to hear from you right here on the Trebleshooter shop.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance Pain too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven one three eighty two five five. Today's a great day to call in. It's been pretty slow the first hour, but I love giving the information out. I love educating people on insurance. With Brian Burns and the other person, we're going to be talking to Robert Bruce. He's been on our referral list for God since two thousand and eight, and we're going to be talking about his handyman's skills and what he can do for you over the summer. It's that time of year, man, where people want to get stuff done. But Brian reminded me during the break he pulled up our snapshot and I'll call it that from my daughter, myself and my wife. When we went with what is it, Safego? Yep, Safego. When we went with Safeco for ninety days, they tracked us. Yeah, you participated in a TELEVINTA was on a phone. It was a phone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you downloaded an app each of the three drivers that were on the policy.
Speaker 4: And I just want everybody to know before he says this, the grin on his face I did not like at all. But here's what I'm here's the part I'm already gonna say. So everybody knows I have not had an accident in over fifteen years. I have not had a speeding ticket or any traffic infraction for over fifteen years. So that I have not pulled that's all that matters. I have a question for you, Yes, do your shoes get wet when you walk on water or shut up dock. I have not had a ticket in fifteen years. There was a time in my life I had a lot of tickets, but that was all past fifteen years ago.
Speaker 7: I'm going to take you on your word. I have not pulled that data in to verify mark on this one as far as this accident ticket history. But we'll just say, okay, that data, I know that data is right.
Speaker 4: We'll believe it go back fifteen years though, right, I can't fives? Well five, my god, yeah, I mean it might have been fourteen years, but I'm telling you I think it's been well over fifteen. But go ahead, Well, really, so how do they base this like by discount or by they charge more? How is it a rank like zero to one hundred? I mean, what are we looking at? Yeah, they fit.
Speaker 7: When it's finished, they come up with that permanent discount on your policy.
Speaker 4: Okay, So after the ninety days, Safeco looks at all the drivers yep, and then basically says, okay, for this driver, we're going to give a discount of X percent for pretty much. Ever unless if the driving record changes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean that wouldn't even affected. It's it's just that part for the drive.
Speaker 4: Even if you were in an accident, you'd still receive that.
Speaker 7: Let's just get that. Now, you would get a surcharge for an accident, but you still get that discount. Right, let's start with Suzanne. What was her discount? All right, yeah, let's start at the top. I think probably that we should do it. So Suzanne is the winner, and she finished this program by ending with a ten percent discount, A ten discount she did.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 4: Now what else did she have on a record at the time?
Speaker 16: Was there?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't have that information, nor would I share that. I don't think I would need to get the permission of that ensured to share that.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, you can tell them.
Speaker 7: Okay, So how do you want second place? Yes, that would be your daughter Adeline.
Speaker 4: Oh my god? What did she get? She got a seven percent discount? She got a seven percent discount, Suzanne got a ten Yeah, and I know Addie had a ticket. I know that for a fact. So I'm not understanding how this they.
Speaker 2: Are just.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then in the bottom ranked at the bottom half the discount of what Suzanne had. I have is our friend mark at five percent discount.
Speaker 4: Yep. Do you do this snapshot thing?
Speaker 7: I have done it through Progressive not I wasn't insured with Progressive, but when it came out, they gave us one of those devices to plug in just to play around to see what it was like. Uh, it didn't derive my rate because I wasn't with them. It's because I'm in Are you with mister insurance one that doesn't offer telematics?
Speaker 2: Who is it?
Speaker 7: I am with a company called.
Speaker 4: Pure and they have no telematics. They do not have that. You think, I don't see that one of those super high risk ones for people they already know you're not going to drive already have that rate established, Yes, exactly, even turned down by the general If you're turned down by fred Layer, you're that would be absolutely crazy. Who is the highest risk insurance? Let's say someone that has well, I don't even know if it's possible, if someone has had two three d UIs, can you even get coverage? You can?
Speaker 7: And Progressive usually has a rate for people even with that bad of a driving record. There's a company called Bristol West.
Speaker 4: Uh, basically anybody.
Speaker 7: They'll ensure pretty much anybody. Yeah, you can find an insurance company to rate you.
Speaker 4: But you got to have a license.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to have a license.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: But even some of those carriers will allow a uh international license, you know, if you don't have an American license, they'll still do that.
Speaker 4: How does it work if someone's here without a driver's license, whether let's just say someone that's here legally, I mean, can they even get insurance?
Speaker 7: Well no, I mean, like I just said, with Progressive, I can put in that they have an international driver's license or a foreign driver's license.
Speaker 4: Do you have to have proof of it?
Speaker 7: They really don't even ask for anything, to be fair, that's not necessarily the clientele we're going after. We're we have more preferred business, is how our agency is set up with the carriers we have. But there are agents out there that that's what they specialize in. Is that higher risk, that's wild market, and so they have companies that I'm sure, which.
Speaker 4: Is the highest you've seen for an individual a rate?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just well it's pretty hard because a lot of people have multiple people. But like, what's a crazy rate for someone? You got anybody spend at twenty thousand a year on auto? Oh? Yeah, for sure, easily.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but those are usually an account that has you know, a lot of young drivers, a lot of nice cars, and you do stuff.
Speaker 4: Does Compass do stuff for businesses? It might have a fleet? Oh yeah, yep, we do. I mean I know you do stuff like garage keepers and workmen's comp but like some that could come to you and say, you know, we've got three hundred vehicles.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, we have a company we ensure that probably has over one hundred vehicles over several states.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I had a guy run into me in a wheelchair and I was in my company vehicle and I ended up being at fault. This was probably my god, seventeen years ago.
Speaker 7: I would say, better be over fifteen years after that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So he literally ran into me in an electure chair and the guy had no legs. He was a Vietnam vet and he had no legs. And I was making a right and he, I guess, had the walking light and I had a green light, but he had the right way. I mean, he's in a wheelchair. No matter what, even though he hit me, it was still my fault. So he hits the side of the front of my car and basically ends up on my hood man. And it was so startling, and I hop out and basically I help him. I don't know what to do. I mean, I notice he has no legs. I'm afraid to move him. I mean literally, So the ambulance is there really quick. And my insurance company from my company ended up paying out a half a million dollars half a million dollars. And the reason they did it is, well, I was pretty upset with him. I thought it was crazy they were paying it out. But it's all up to them. I'll never forget to Gal telling me. She goes, yeah, Okay, here's a Vietnam vet with no legs that ends up on top of your car and we're going to defend that hol Yeah, because his family's saying he could no longer live by himself. Now he has to have care all the time because he's dramatically injured in other things. And maybe it was that way, you know what, maybe, and I try to look at it this way, maybe I improved his life honestly, or my insurance company. But the bottom line where I was going with this, Brian, is that never hit my driving record because it was a company policy commercial and I wasn'tn issued a ticket or anything like that. My insurance company just paid out. But is that how it works? Yeah, So like it's nowhere on my record period. When I go to get insurance, you'll never find that Mark Major created a half a million dollar accident.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And what you'll find is with commercial policies, when you're doing a personal line policy, you pull what's called a clue report. It's a fine accident, but that wouldn't be on but commercial policies, companies don't report to that clue report. So, in other words, that's not how they work. With commercial policies, you have to get a loss experience. So if you went to another commercial policy, you would get hit then because they would have this loss report that comes with it, even if it was a different company. Yeah, if you went to a new carrier, they would want this experience.
Speaker 4: Now I'm saying that that business was called Colorado Carca, Oh gotcha, and it was under there. I no longer it would be that it would have to be the same company exactly. It would have to be that eis right. Yep. That was crazy though. I was so happy because I thought when my renewal came from my personal stuff, oh man, I thought I was going to be out of it. But it doesn't report. I did learn, I did, well, here's the question for compass. But I did learn on that you really have no say if the insurance company wants to settle because I thought it was crazy to give this guy half a million bucks. And they were like, that's not your decision, nor is it your money.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you this. It even goes further than that. I had an instance where I was involved in a claim and I was feeling the same way. I said, how could you possibly pay this? This is not fair, it's not right, And they said, okay, we'll take it to court if you want, but anything over the amount we're willing to settle for right now, you're paying. And I was like, I have no incentive to do that.
Speaker 4: There's no god, no incentive at all.
Speaker 7: What to feel a little better, right, just to have this pride that I was right.
Speaker 4: That's all contractual and the policy. Sure, yep, all right, Hey Martha, what's your question for Compass?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 4: Michael? You hold on? Hello, Hello Martha.
Speaker 17: I my husband had a stroke back in September and he isn't quite ready to drive yet. He's been really good about that and we're signing him up for the classes and getting evaluations done. Does that affect our insurance?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 4: Martha? Can I just ask you something? Sure? Is how's he doing? In other words, I know someone that had a stroke and about a year later he was almost perfect. But you would have never thought that the first month after. I mean it was kind of remarkable. So is he progressing pretty well? Is his is his outlook? Basically he'll be one hundred percent at.
Speaker 17: This point, has been seven months or so. He had a right green stroke and the cloud is still in there and it is affected is f side, so his left arm and left leg and part of his vision is still quite impaired. Well, he is still taking OTMPT. We're hoping, but you just don't know.
Speaker 4: Is that something that's a great question she has? Is that something she has to report? I mean if you were in her shoes, Brian, I mean, how do you even deal with this? If they don't say anything.
Speaker 7: We would know. We wouldn't know that, Martha.
Speaker 4: Because a hip hop, no one can get that information right.
Speaker 7: So it's I think what the deal with on that would be, Martha, is if the DMV has gaged him to be well enough to have a driver's license. That's all that it would require on our end. So there's not a separate question we would have associated to that. It would be more about my advice to you on that would be is to make sure you would want to make sure that he is healthy enough to drive, simply because if he did have an accident exact, all this stuff we're talking about here, you're the one that's getting sued.
Speaker 4: You guys are going to get sued for that loss.
Speaker 7: So it's in your best interest to make sure that he is healthy enough to drive. But it's not a question as far as being eligible for insurance.
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting if it's an act of god, meaning even if I have two million dollars in liability coverage and I'm driving down the road and I have a heart attack all of a sudden and basically end up driving off the road and hitting someone, it could be a horrible accident. There's times where my insurance company wouldn't even pay out because it was an act of God.
Speaker 7: No, that would still be a collision. That's not that would have nothing to do with it.
Speaker 4: Then, I'm telling you we have had calls like that where something has happened and an accidents caused and they don't pay out.
Speaker 7: Because they're like, it wasn't his fault. Okay, I differentiate that. What I would tell you is if they didn't pay out because they weren't forced to. But if that person was sued and they were responsible, insurance is paying no matter what the kicks.
Speaker 4: I see what you're saying. They would still have to defend you. They might try to have a defense to say, this is an act that he had a heart attack, This isn't a negligent, but they have to situation. They'd have to defend and if he was found liable, they have to pay. Yeah, that's right. But what I'm saying is there's times where they're not found liable because it wasn't actual. Okay, I'm with you there. I just thought you're saying the insurance company still has to defend you, right, Hey, Martha, thanks for that call. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. But Brian, like almost like if lightning hit a car and because the lightning hit it and blew a tire out and you end up killing somebody, Yep, truly, that is an act of God, they would defend you, right, but they might not pay out because it's not the liability of that driver.
Speaker 7: Right, they were not at fault in this case, but yeah, but they Yeah, either way, I guess I just wanted to make sure people didn't feel like you're insurance this they're going to have to cover you if you're responsible if you did.
Speaker 4: Lose the case for whatever reason, they're paying and they're paying for the defense. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 14: Real quick though, Like with Martha's situation where she's renewing a policy in the near future, here, would you volunteer that information?
Speaker 7: No, I don't think she needs to because it's really.
Speaker 4: Not even a place where you could note it. Is there? I mean where, well, is there anything like in progressives portal for you guys that you put had a stroke?
Speaker 7: No, what would happen is if someone called me and this has happened before, where someone is no longer driving and they say, hey, you know what, my no, my husband had a stroke. He's no longer able to drive. Can you remove him? And what I would do is just exclude him from the policy. But you could do that, but it doesn't really benefit you from a rate standard.
Speaker 4: We better hope he doesn't drive someday.
Speaker 7: Better not drive, or and if he does, if he got his license back, that kind of thing, you could call me and I just put him back on the policy. But you know, exclusions help you whenever you have someone that has a bad driving history because they're taking off the teenager somewhere.
Speaker 4: But that's so risky it is, that's the key. Hold on, Michael, you're up next three oh three seven one three Talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Get your questions in about anything or if you need help going after a contractor advice. Maybe you want to talk to someone about a will or a trust. You name it. We've got a list experts to know it. But especially today, insurance.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right three o three seven one three eight two five five man. If you could hear the behind the scenes conversation. I learned that Brian, are insurance expert, loves horror movies, but he won't watch supernatural stuff because he believes in it. Now it's too close to home. I don't like the possession, I said, so I don't like you to use a Wigi board, and sure enough you're not a Oigi board. Though I would not be a wigi My wife was not even allowed to have that in the house. Growing up. Having a Wiji board was like, you know, praying to the devil. Her parents would like probably beat her if they found a Wigi board, which is insane, but that's kind of a that's kind of how some people are. Hey, Michael, and then Andrew, you'll be next. We got two lines open three oh three seven one three A two five five Michael, what's your question on insurance? By the way, during the break, we looked up and what was State Farm doing in California.
Speaker 7: He's got approval for thirty eight is a thirty eight percent? Thirty eight percent the great hike and.
Speaker 4: What happens to take to ask the commissioner in whatever state and they have to approve it? Right, My guess is that one of the highest you've ever heard of.
Speaker 7: That is about as high as I've heard.
Speaker 4: I've never heard of anything higher. So I bet because of the fires and all the damage in just California in general, insurance companies like State Farm were probably like, listen, if you don't give it to us, we're gonna have no choice but to leave.
Speaker 7: What they already did. They pulled out before the fire, they started non renewing, so I'm sure this is an incentive to try to get them back in the state again.
Speaker 4: Michael, what's your question?
Speaker 18: Hey, ither question? I was involved in an accident.
Speaker 19: You got to beat the sill and the rest of it is the Acpult insurance company and apparently the person that hit me has state minimum.
Speaker 4: Hey, Michael, get closer to your phone or take it off bluetooth if you can. If you're not driving, we can. You're coming in and out. Sorry me, go ahead, man, it's no big deal. I think he's saying the person that hit him had minimal right and the damages are going to far exceed I mean, I think dance where he's going. Yep. Yeah, how much do you think? And when you talk damages, are you talking injury or are you talking property?
Speaker 9: Vote?
Speaker 15: So what happened was, Gee, I got an estumate for the repair. The repair is going to be like minimum ten grand, and then the medical. So far it's been minimal, but I'm going to go back because I'm still having issues and then the cost of the car rental and all that, and the progressive agent that I spoke with said, no, go to your you've got full coverage, go.
Speaker 4: To your insurance.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I just want to explain something for people listening, and Brian, I'm going to have you do it. When we talk about minimal, what is the state minimal twenty and it's the twenty five thousand for property and life bill. Okay, No, it's okay.
Speaker 7: So here's whenever you see an insurance policy, you're going to see it in there's gonna be three numbers there. It's gonna be twenty five fifty fifteen. That's the state minimum, and that you'res twenty five thousand per person injured up to fifty thousand per accident. And that third number is the property damage liability. Fifteen thousand is the minimum property damage liability.
Speaker 4: How absurd is that? I don't even think the cheapest car you can buy, and I'm talking new of course, right is fifteen. I mean, if you've got if you've got the minimal and you hit somebody in an eighty thousand dollars car, ye, holy moly. But you're so go ahead, and what you should do is exactly what advice the insurance company gave you. I mean, right, if you go after your own insurance.
Speaker 7: What I would do is I turn it in my own insurance. The only downside to that is that you're going to be responsible for your deduct yet. But you can tell well, the insurance company will go after them if they get if they subrogate and get money back, that money will go back to the first to you. I don't know if that is a state law, but most insurance companies do it that way. Some i've seen will only do the percentage of what they get back. In other words, if they're only made half hole, only half your deductible's going back.
Speaker 4: But so it's really in the policy language.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so most carriers, though, the first dollar back will go back to recover your deductible.
Speaker 4: Or or you could take that person to small claims course of course for that money, and you're going to end up getting paid. Yeah, if they have money. If I have anything, what is your question about it? Well, first of all we should ask do you have that coverage?
Speaker 10: Yes, I have the coverage.
Speaker 4: Okay, then what is your question?
Speaker 15: Well, I didn't know it going through my insurance.
Speaker 10: Because I have full coverage and I have enough.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you a secret that I learned from Brian years ago, and this is incredible. You're gonna love this. Everybody should know this. You cannot be penalized for this because you were not at fault, so they can't raise your rates at it. The only downside to it. The only downside is what Brian said is at deductible. But if you take that driver to small Claim Score, you're gonna get a judgment for that five hundred or one thousand or whatever it is. And the other thing is injuries. I want to say something, man, because you definitely had injuries and you said you're going back in for the life of me, Why you don't have an attorney blows me away. Why don't you? I'm just curious.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven having one help, You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three three seven one three eight two five five. We got two lines open. I am going to go to Andrew to get an idea real quick of what's going on so I can think about it over the break. Andrew, what is going on, sir?
Speaker 20: I have not too long ago, just barely purchased a twenty fifteen Kia Soul.
Speaker 4: What does that mean? Barely purchased? Do you mean like a week ago or something?
Speaker 20: Or what like about three four months ago?
Speaker 4: Got it keep going and.
Speaker 20: It worked perfectly, but then the check engine like kept on coming on. And then I took it back to the dealership that we purchased it from. They replaced what needed to be placed on it. But what irged me is after you know, we had kept it a little bit. Yeah, Uh, the check engine light went on again.
Speaker 4: Was it the same code this time or a different code?
Speaker 20: A different a different one?
Speaker 4: All right, hold on, I want to know who the dealer is and we'll talk about different things you can do. Uh three oh three seven one three two five five. We've got two lines open now remember insurance help center, call right now three oh three nine ninety six nine thousand. Let's see how much Brian Burns and Compass can save you. Three oh three nine ninety six nine thousand. We'll be right back.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped off news so you don't have.
Speaker 2: Come run in as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Show shooter's gonna help come man, This is.
Speaker 4: The Troubleshooter Show. No, Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome to the only show that it's goin. We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints, if you've been ripped off, if you need some help, whether it's an attorney or a good contractor or Today we're talking a lot of insurance. Brian Burns is in with Compass Insurance and I love when he's in. Brian, have we gotten anybody through the help center yet that we've saved.
Speaker 7: I did just get an email from one of the uh, the producers that said they didn't give me a ton of information here, but it looks like someone called in and they had it. Doesn't tell me the name of the insurance company, but they had actual cash value on the roof. Kind of back what they had it they didn't know, so they sent the declaration page and we were able to show them that you in fact have actual cash value.
Speaker 4: This is where is That's where all those questions come.
Speaker 7: It was just over ten years. It was like eleven or twelve year old roofs.
Speaker 4: I mean they basically have no coverage on their roof.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm fifty percent plus they're deductible, so we were able to wor Torrato and home. We were able to change it to a replacement cost on the roof and save them three hundred bucks a month, so they have way better coverage better actually have coverage exactly and still saving over three grand years.
Speaker 4: So that's not a bad deal. So I love the Insurance Help Center. Listen, folks, if you're listening and have not done it, we do this every time Brian's in. You call up three oh three nine nine six, call them up, and they're going to tell you what information they need. It's not much at all. Most of it you can get in a matter of a few seconds right online. And then basically they're going to tell you how much they can save. If they can't save you any money, they're going to tell you. They're going to be so straight up with you. That's why we love them. They're honest people, but they shop thirty different companies. Plus they're going to give you an idea if if you're properly insured, that's more important. Let's go back to Andrew. So Andrew buys a twenty fifteen Kia Soul. Who'd you buy it from? Andrew?
Speaker 20: It was a Rappa Ho Hyundai in Denver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've done there. I've bought plenty of cars there. So you bought a used Kia Soul from them, and you bought it roughly two months ago? Is at about right?
Speaker 20: It's about more like about four months ago.
Speaker 4: Four that's fine. And the check engine light came on? How the first time it came on? How long after?
Speaker 20: It was like three days into meet purchasing the vehicle?
Speaker 4: And then you brought it back? And what did they do?
Speaker 20: They said that they needed to change the catalytic converter. Oh, and I was like, well, why don't you just put me into a different vehicle?
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't matter, big deal. It's a catalytic or catalytic a catalytic converter. So did they do that? Though?
Speaker 20: They they didn't put me into another vehicle, They just fixed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, No, what I'm saying is they didn't have to put you in another vehicle. In fact, I'm going to tell you another thing, they didn't really have to do anything. I mean, you bought it used, you should have had it checked out. But it was actually very nice of them to do that. Did it have any kind of warranty on it.
Speaker 20: No, No, Well, you know what I'm calling about is the fact that we didn't know that the Kia Soul two thousand and twelve to two thousand and nineteen where engines are on recall. And if I have known that, then you know I would have purchased a different vehicle.
Speaker 16: Other than that.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's why I wanted to call you and ask for advice in how we can go about Well.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about let's let's talk about this recall. First, are you covered by it as the second third or whatever owner?
Speaker 20: Yes, I took it to Kia's Bradley Kia here in Puebla where I'm at, and what they say, that's how we found out. That's how we found out that the Kia was on recall. And he said that if you haven't gone over one hundred and fifty thousand miles and the engine goes out, that Kia will replace it with a brand new engine for free. And that's and that's that's fine.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, Andrew is at the oil consumption issue? Yes, okay, now, look, it's either eating oil or it's not. But I think you're in a great shape. How many miles are on it?
Speaker 20: One hundred and twenty two thousand and.
Speaker 4: Five h four. Yeah, I think you're in great shape. I mean, you have a warranty on the entire engine, on a vehicle that shouldn't have a warranty on it. You kind of got lucky if there is oil consumption. But if there isn't, and it's very easy. I had a Hondi that had the same thing. The Santa Fe would drop about a half a court in a month, and I got a brand new engine when I had about ninety eight thousand miles on it.
Speaker 20: Man, well, they said that we have to wait until that engine goes and it starts knocking.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know the rules on that particular one where it goes and knocking. But on most of the Hondis, and understand, Ki and Hondai are virtually the same, I mean really they are. But on most of them, the oil consumption. You bring it into the dealer, they check how much oil's in it, You drive it for X amount of miles, you bring it back and they recheck, and then that's what Kia wants to know. So if Spradley's telling you that basically the engine's got to start knocking, that's kind of strange. I have not heard that before, but it could be a little different on that.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's exactly what they're saying that if an engine starts.
Speaker 19: Knocking, then we bring it back and then we.
Speaker 20: Have to wait on a waiting list for so, you know, with other people in order.
Speaker 18: To test it.
Speaker 20: They test it and they find out that engine is going, then they'll.
Speaker 4: Replace it for free.
Speaker 20: But basically it's just like I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb.
Speaker 4: Well, you can't look at it that way, man, And this is for everybody out there listening. We get your call all the time. The bottom line is you should have had it checked out. You should have had it checked out, either a mechanic go there and check it out, or drive it somewhere else, pull a car fax, maybe run the VEN number through an automotive shop that's doing the checkout. Then you would have heard about the recall or the service bulletin on that engine. Legally, and this isn't legal advice because I'm not an attorney, but from everything I have ever dealt with, the bottom line is you bought that as is. Did you happen to purchase an extended warranty on it?
Speaker 20: I did not Yeah, well you were right as is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you bought it as is. But that's everybody. You're not the only one that makes this mistake. But unlike a lot of people, what's crazy about the call is your Actually, I don't find you in bad shape. I mean, you're going to get at least another twenty five thousand miles of warranty on the engine. They replaced the other thing that generally goes out on those vehicles around one hundred thousand miles, and that's the cat. That cat was probably twenty five hundred dollars they put into that, and they didn't charge you on it, right, No, they didn't even have to do that. The one thing I'm sure they would do is trade you out of it. I bet if you went back down there and said, hey, will you trade me out? But you might you might not end up in a better vehicle when you're done for that kind of money. How much was that thing? I mean it must have been, you know, fairly cheap as far as today's vehicles go.
Speaker 20: No, it was our loan we got finance was close to when said it done, It was like ten ten thousand and two.
Speaker 4: And how much did you put down five hundred, So it was like it was like a twelve thirteen thousand dollars car, right, and it's got a new cat. And think about this, you got a warranty on that engine. What I'm trying to drill through your head is you're not in a bad shape. I wouldn't look at it as a ticking time bomb. I would look at it as, man, I hope this engine does go out, then I got a brand new engine in here. And then if it doesn't go out by one hundred and fifty thousand miles, I think it was probably built pretty damn solid and taken care of over the years. The maintenance was probably done on it. So honestly, I think you're in good shape, man, But there's nothing you can do besides trade yourself out of it. Maybe call him up and say, hey, I don't like what's going on. I wish you guys told me about this engine. Would you at least give me twelve thousand on the trade? And if I come down and buy something else, I mean you can ask them. Maybe they'll come close to doing that. I understand, But that's it, man. Thank you very much. Yeah, Andrew, I appreciate the call, and really I want you to remember you're not in a bad position. Jeff, you're up next. We've got two lines open, three zero three Martino, three to zero three Martino. I talk to Jeff during the break a little. Brian. I think it's got something to do with his house, and I don't know if he said drugs, but we'll find out after this.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right three O three seven one three A two five five three oh three Martino. Robert Bruce with Integrity Electric Home Improvements is with his too, Brian Burns Compass Insurance. But what was interesting they were asking about the craziest calls over the year dragon on our YouTube channel plays this all the time. Go ahead and play it.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I can't go number two anymore.
Speaker 4: I can't go number two anymore. And that is Drew. Drew's been calling the show forever. He's a frequent caller, and he called up wanting to sue a pharmacist. I think it was the or Walgreens or somewhere. Apparently the pharmacists gave him the wrong medication and he could no longer go number two anymore. And we kept telling him, well, we don't know what the damages will be, because surely at some point you're gonna go either he's fixed or he's dead. Yeah, you're you're either gonna go number two or you're gonna die. And now if you die, maybe your heirs can go after the pharmacists. But we would think, what is it? A suppository would probably work. I mean, he needs a major enema, a major anima, like a hose, like.
Speaker 6: The kind of give you before a colonoscopy.
Speaker 4: All right, Jeff, Now explain what's going on on this homeowner's insurance.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know, call him for a friend. I want to know if if a no good, complete loser, the size of smoke drug is a primary residence and gets you know, residue on things and eats professional cleanup.
Speaker 4: Hey, what kind of whoa?
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 4: Whoa? What kind of residue? Are we talking marijuana or math? Like, let's say, oh my god, that is a oh wait, I know what you're going to say, Brian. Most policies don't cover that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, not the chemical type of compounds. And they they have added in language to exclude damage for that kind of loss. So you usually I actually had a rental home it's called a dwelling fire policy that did cover it because it's just it was a very anniquated policy that had renewed over the years. But homeowner policies have have exclusions for that kind of loss.
Speaker 6: How about does he does he have rents insurance? Would that come into play?
Speaker 7: No, it wouldn't. Now liability wise, usually the only thing renter's policies liability will cover is fire fire damage that you caused.
Speaker 4: But give us what happened, Jeff.
Speaker 18: Primary primary residence. You know, like I said, somebody came in decided that they were you know, they had to do this and couldn't go outside and do it, and basically coated the walls with you know, bad stuff.
Speaker 7: God is so bad, man, it really is bad. You're not joking it. It really does do an incredible damage.
Speaker 4: You got to call a restoration company or he does.
Speaker 18: That's pretty bad because you know, once you do that, you get on a list and then the state knows about everything and it's not going to be cool.
Speaker 4: So for no, no, but be oh for a one time event, maybe not. But I mean, if they were cooking in there, I'm going to tell you how bad meth is on car insurance, okay, and they don't exclude it on this case. And you know this, Brian. You could have a brand new, fifty thousand dollars car, brand new, and it gets stolen and they start smoking meth in that car. That car, when it gets recovered, let's say the only damage is the fact they were smoking meth. A lot of times, they will total that vehicle because basically, it costs more to clean it if it's not impossible, basically, right, Yeah, all right, Jeff, appreciate the call, brother, thank you, thank you. That sucks. So I remember asking you that in the past. So when it comes to homeowners and most rental policies, yeah, they're screwed there. Yeah, and rental home policies sometimes will have it just because it's a tenant that's in there. It's in other words, it's not under your care custody control at the time. If it's your primary home and it's a visitor you're bringing in, or it's you yourself, of course they're not going to cover. Well, how about your primary residence and you're on a long trip and someone starts camping out or squatting rates in your.
Speaker 7: House and does this is it covered? No, because it's still the same language on the CAEL it's the chemical exclusion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we hear about that in California. I mean it happens out here. We have a listener that's on YouTube all the time. This homeless guy basically moved into his garage and wouldn't leave, And Denver was like, They're like, well, you know, he's kind of he's now a resident of your garage. I mean, he had to go through a proper eviction. It was crazy. But I mean, so if I'm out of town and a bunch of homeless people break into our house and live there and start smoking meth, cooking meth, right.
Speaker 7: I don't have covering, not for that. Now, if they let's say they started to fire, they broke in and started firing.
Speaker 4: I know I'm talking just but Holy.
Speaker 7: If there's an exclusion on a policy, it doesn't really matter how it comes about. If that exclusion is what is the cause of loss, you're you're it's still valid.
Speaker 4: But if I have a rental, you have companies that I could get rental insurance that would cover me.
Speaker 7: There's some that have not updated their policies yet to tell an exclusion. You'll probably find that they do.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven one three eight two five five, Ron, what is your question?
Speaker 19: Yes, I need I have a question about an accident, and I'm working with.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 4: Keep hitting buttons, Ryan Ran, Yeah, what happened? It's all right, you keep hitting bart called us you're good.
Speaker 2: Rin.
Speaker 4: How odd was that? I yeah, let's just uh. I'll put him on hold. I'd love to answer his question. And he's got an accident in a parking lot. I have no idea. But while Kelly's screening, these other calls coming up. Robert Bruce, owner of Integrity Electric Home Improvements. You're a handyman and you can go out. Make sure you have your mic on, get in front of them. And he's been on a referral list since O wait, complaint free. I don't remember one complaint ever. You can do electrical work, of course you can do. You might not do like a full basement, but you would go down and install maybe new fixtures, put a ceiling fan in, stuff like that. Oh yeah, and you know what's the biggest call you get as a handyman, like swap out a ceiling fan. Well, it used to be.
Speaker 14: Like I'd go put lights in for a kitchen on our kitchen remodel, got it, and it just came to the to the point where they would have to hire a drywall guy.
Speaker 4: So you do all that, So I do it all. I ended up just so you can do payark drywall work. Yeah, it's just one stop shopping and then you could do light fixtures, ceiling fans. How about car chargers? How about someone buys an electric car.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, that's a big one out there right now. That's Huges and electric cars.
Speaker 4: So you can put the breaker in for it, run it up, whether it's the thirty amp, fifty amp, whatever they want. Yeah, that is cool man. What other things do you get? Called for a handyman, of course, not landscaping. Well, like I know, when we first moved into this house, I hired a handyman and they came out and they swapped out all the light switches. I had all the not just the covers to the light switches, but we went from the old school to the paddle switches and dimmers. So I had someone do all that. That was a handyman. That same guy also adjusted all the cabinets. I had so old kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets. The house was twenty years old or ten fifteen years old when we bought it. He went through and adjusted all that. He swapped out the hardware on the cabinet's meaning the knobs. I mean, you do all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 14: What I enjoy really doing is, you know, I'll get a customer to calls and says, hey, I'm losing power and five of my outlets in my bedroom and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a GFI problem.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Jeff, Well, I tell you a nice story.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you a nice little story.
Speaker 4: Here with where are you from? Where's that accent? Cleveland? Yeah? Okay, bingo?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And no Brown's go Brown's yep. And I like my broncos too.
Speaker 14: So uh So he had a newer house and these newer houses and now have these arc fault.
Speaker 4: Breakers put in them. Yep.
Speaker 14: So if there is a little tiny gap and you don't tighten that screw up quite a bit.
Speaker 4: Yep, it doesn't doesn't work. And it's not hard to say.
Speaker 14: So he went through and redid all his pla in similar to what you're calling decry switches and outlets in sure did a beautiful job. Hit the breakers, turned it on, they went dead to me, no power, no power.
Speaker 4: What did he do well, He.
Speaker 14: Just didn't tighten his screws up on his outlets and fixed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's cool. So handy matter great. They're hard to find, and I'm glad you started doing that. I put you under the handyman category not long ago, because for a while you were only under electric because basically, like you said, that's all you did. So anybody out there, ceiling fans anything, you'll come out. Go ahead, Brian, I have a question for you, okay. So I have dimmers on our light switches in some of the rooms in our houses. It drives me crazy that whenever I use the demmer it pulses is what is the wait? Wait that we got to take this break? But I I know what he's talking about, and I want to hear the answer to that too, or one of mine. If I turned the dimmer all the way down, so what I did, I don't know if you did this. I took the old recess lights out and I put in led exactly. So I did that, but now just on some of them, actually only on three of them, four of them when I turn the dimmer all the way down. None of the other ones in the house do this, just this fixture, and they're all tied together. When I bring it all the way down at night when it's dark, there's a little light still, just a little tiny bit of light, and it drives me crazy. Hold on.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three O three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three three seven one three eight two five five. I'll let you know when a line's open. We've got a lot cooking. Where did we leave off, guys, I'm gonna hop over to Ron's got a question.
Speaker 7: Well, you were going to finish the question that we had given Robert here about the dimming lights.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, man, So when I turned down, I swapped out. I did not swap out the fixtures. So we have these recess lights on this ceiling that's like twenty feet high. Okay, in our family room and there's four lights that are recessed with bulbs like these basically, but I swapped those out when we moved in, including the entire house with LEDs. So, but that particular room, all four of those different can lights, all four of them, when I turned the lights all the way down. For the love of God, I have no idea why they're still on barely, just just barely. But all the other lights in the hallways with dimmers in the bedroom, all the other lights don't do it. Why would that happen.
Speaker 14: So if you take that plate off of that dimmer, you'll see there's a little dial on the dimmer on the back of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's not exposed to well, these are.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, I want to make sure you get it. It's a paddle dimmer, So you hold it and basically it goes down, or you hold it and it goes up.
Speaker 14: And oftentimes there's a little When you take that all apart, there's a little dial in there that you can dial it down.
Speaker 4: So another word at that is not to go to zero. It's set to go to one for lack of.
Speaker 14: The bet mightn't be just because of the new dimmer switch that you put in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which would be at the same time. Right, Oh my god.
Speaker 7: My problem's different. Mine is the lights. Whenever I use the dimmer, you try to bring it down a little bit and it like pulsations. But they're LEDs, right, they're all LED's same type of thing that got Trent.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 14: A lot of times it's the lamp is not dimmable, so they'll sell you an LED light bulb that's not dimmable.
Speaker 4: So got to buy a dimmable light bulb.
Speaker 7: Now, So it it does dim, but it but you're saying just because it dims, but that pulsating is meaning that's probably not the right light.
Speaker 4: I actually I did exactly what you did. I was at Costco when we did those paddles way back when. In the first set of LEDs I bought would not dim. They were either like I don't remember him blinking, but this is fifteen ten years ago, but they would not work. And I went back and they literally said dimmable on them, right, and they work perfect except for the ones we just look and see.
Speaker 7: I obviously had a contractor that redid all of our lighting. But they put these in and they do dim. They do dim, but when you stop it where you want it to be. Yeah, there's just like this. This likes kind of almost like an old fluorescent. It's kind of weird crazy.
Speaker 4: So is it possible though, that the actual can itself can't handle dimming or no? No, it's it's just not a deal.
Speaker 14: Well, it depends if it's a saucer. Now, if it's a regular can you know you have an incandescent light bull been there LED or fluorescen if you had you know, like the fluorescence, they weren't No.
Speaker 4: That's not what he's talking about. You're talking to can light.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's one of those that you you it's recessed in. You screwed it in, but it's it's a transformer to change it into where you got saucer then.
Speaker 14: Yeah, okay, so you don't have a light bulb, you have a saucer.
Speaker 4: That's right. I have a saucer that it's probably not, probably not. It goes back to what you said. You got to find a dimmobile one.
Speaker 7: All right, I'll look at dimmer switch is bad too, or you could lights. All the lights do this. They're all the same sort of yeah, it's and they're all the same white.
Speaker 4: It's got to be the bulbs. Yeah, you know what you could do. Man, you don't have one in your hat? Do you have just a regular LED bulb in your house like in a lamp.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, if you did, maybe in the bathroom up on the thing, you could put it in there. Put one in there and see if it actually dims if you have one, and if not, just hit Costco for whatever reason you got.
Speaker 14: Because you can interchange that between that driver. That box that's for the LED, that's called a driver, much like a ballast would be full fluorescent light.
Speaker 4: Costco, by the way, is the cheapest for light bulbs anywhere. We just bought new ones for all the bathrooms. You can have a little switch on the side that does four different things, four different what do they call them?
Speaker 14: Frequency, the color of the switch, whether it's warm or.
Speaker 4: Bright, exactly daylight whatever. So, uh, six pack of those Okay, I forget how many. Maybe they're forty one or like forty however they call it with the switches is like six bucks. There is no place cheaper to buy led lights in Costco, and I have no idea why they have the deal. Ron, what's your question for Compass? Then? Warren Emery and Charlie, you guys are next, Go ahead, Ron.
Speaker 19: Yes, this past Monday, I was ended in a Kings Soupers parking lot. The driver was at the others. I was at a fault and he said he was not going to call his insurance companies, who didn't mean to call.
Speaker 4: Mine, So he's saying it was your fault. You guys are at an impass.
Speaker 19: Oh he didn't say that because he said he was falling too close to me. But I think I must be a reason he doesn't want to to contact his insurance company. So I contact us. This insurance county is USAA. Yeah, so I talked to the agent there and they said he is not responding to them.
Speaker 9: Quist.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a hold on. Hold on, this is you are in a quagmire, and this is very interesting. We've had this call quite a bit over the years, Brian. Good news, bad news. We know how to fix it, but it's a little complicated. Hold on.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven one three A two five five. Ron's got a big issue, man. There is no doubt about it. Ron until the other driver contacts here and Ssurance company or answers the phone when they call. There's nothing that insurance company is going to do. Period, end of story. Brian kind of explain that quick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is not an abnormal thing, especially with parking lot accidents. Is that because there's no ticket involved. If you're trying to get money from their insurance company, they're always going to have to talk to their insured first. If they're insured, isn't going to talk to you. They're not going to make any kind of effort beyond that. So your only option is to either turn it into your own insurance yep, unless they'll subrogate, or you sue that person because that will wake them up, that will make them respond.
Speaker 4: If it's under seventy five hundred andan you know where they are. The easiest way to do it is small claims. I mean you can fill out to paperwork and trip lock it right on a website and then you go down to the county where the accident happened, or the county where that person lives if it's different, and basically get them served. And anybody can serve them except you. Your wife could serve them, for example, your neighbor, your friend, but not you or whoever's suing, and then they're going to be forced to call their insurance company and get the ball rolling. Or they're going to show up to small claims and you're going to prove your case and get a judgment. Then they're going to call their insurance company.
Speaker 7: But I'll tell you this, especially like I said in parking lots, the story will change. Oh they're going to say, well, I wasn't following too close.
Speaker 4: So well that made me nervous, by the way, Ron when you said that, because I have never heard in an accident on a public road where a police officer shows up where the following two close basically got off. Yeah. I mean you know, oh he rear ended you, right, I was at the.
Speaker 19: Stop signing trying to get out of the fucking lot, and he saw me. Well it's a street and just things fath and hit me, you know, right in the rear.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's just that's a pretty easy one to show his fault in. Yeah, I think you're you're probably good there, But it's up to you whether you'd want to go through the whole suing him small claims court. Some people just say I'll just turn it into my own insurance. I'll let them deal with it, and then you'll have to pay your deductible. It will not count against you though. In other words, your rates will not go up due to that because it was not your fault.
Speaker 4: And the first dollar that they recover through subrogation will go to you towards that deductible. So eventually you'll get your money back.
Speaker 7: But if they get their money, if they are able to successfully sub regorse, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then here's the other thing though, this is just for other people around a lot of the parking lots where Brian was going, like I'm backing out of the space and someone's pulling in and we're both moving and hit each other. A lot of times that becomes a fifty to fifty deal. Absolutely, everybody goes through their own insurance company, even though all of us know it was one of their faults. Someone wasn't pay.
Speaker 7: I'll even say at the at the moment, oh that's my fault.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: But you give people twenty four hours and I'm telling you, their story changes and all of a sudden they're like, you know what, maybe I wasn't going too fast there.
Speaker 4: You know, it just changes and we learned recently, this one guy called up, uh, the cop gave the other guy a ticket to cop wasn't there, but after doing the investigation, gave it to him. And then dash cam video was fascinating. Man. Dash cam video showed up from another driver, a third party that had nothing to do with the accident caught it. It took a long time for him to get it to whoever needed it. But what happened was was actually it was the other guy, and the dash cam proved it, and the dash cam proved it on and the one guy flipped over like three or four times, remember that time. Yeah, yeah. And the funny thing.
Speaker 6: Was he said this in the uh, the dashcam footage, and we couldn't figure.
Speaker 4: Out why it was. We couldn't find the accident. We didn't realize it was the third party dash showing it. We didn't even see the accident. But then you could see it up in the corner. Once you do it, it look that goes back to the dash caps.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, fifty, we've got it. We've got a long show. We got another hour coming up. We have an issue with the warranty. We have another question for compass, issue with getting a title on the WRX and a problem with the carpet cleaner. Everybody hanged tight, one line open, three oh three Martino.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 4: You don't pay a.
Speaker 13: Cent until you're contenth.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three, seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance. Three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped off News You need advice?
Speaker 2: Who you don't have? Come running just as fast as we can.
Speaker 3: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 4: Come man, this is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: No Tom Martinez, Welcome, Welcome to the only show of it's kin.
Speaker 4: We're here to solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. We're here to make your life a little bit better. You've been ripped off or taken advantage of, we want to hear from you. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five that is the telephone number. I'm trying to think where we left off here, guys, I'm just gonna go to the person that's been holding the longest. That's Emery. By the way, this hour brought to you by Paul the Waterman, the best for less. You realize Paul's got systems out there for less than half of what the competitors sell. Maybe you're looking for a softener, maybe you're looking for this new system not only softens the water, it gets rid of the chlorine for your entire house. And my favorite part is it gets rid of the micro chemicals, the forever chemicals, so the drinking water is safe. And that goes for everybody out there. It's very important depending on how bad that is. The forever chemicals are everywhere. And with this system for thirty six hundred dollars all in thirty six hundred bucks, that's an incredible price. I still can't believe it. Other companies sell that for twelve thirteen thousand. But anyhow, you get the idea waterpros dot Net Paul the Waterman great people. I've got one of his systems at home. Paul the Waterman waterpros dot Net now Emory, what's going on? What's the problem with this warranty? Hey, Emory, what's going on?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 21: How about like the god Ram pickup or Ram pickup good automation de litter and the agency's looks like twelve hundred miles and I had a warranty on it, and they keep coming back and saying because I had any monitors or read so I could batch my temperatures and stuff better. Yeah, and they keep onting That's what the cause is. And more of my question is can you help me or send me an arection the right lawyer to call so I can start legal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can do that. Let me ask you some questions, though, Emory. When did you buy the vehicle March for March third? So you just bought it a couple of months ago. Then when you bought it twelve hundred miles later the engine seized or went out right?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 4: What did you add to it? What? What kind of things did you add to it? What kind of modifications?
Speaker 21: A monitor call it's by a company called it's holly owned, but it's called Edge and it's a CPEES.
Speaker 4: How does it connect? How do you connect that.
Speaker 18: To the OLBB two?
Speaker 22: Oh?
Speaker 4: It just goes through it. Does it actually program it, does it like make it faster? Does it tune it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: All it does is all it does is light up a monitoring screen so you can monitor everything. And you're saying because they're denying the coverage on the engine after twelve hundred miles, because they're saying you made a modification. And somewhere in that contract it probably says if you modify anything, they're not going to cover it. Is that what they're hanging their hat on. Yes, I think that is a bunch of crap. Hold on, I want to get Shared and Autotech up, Kelly. See if you can get uncle Kevin up. I've got a question for him, and then we do have an attorney for you. I just want to make sure that product you have does not tune or modify. Literally if all it does is gathered data from the ODB two and show it to you on a screen or on a phone or whatever it works. I have no idea how they could hang their hat on a modification. That's nothing. I mean, that would be so dumb, it's crazy, and it would have nothing to do with the engine. So I want Kevin On to let me know that that would be the fact. Now the next person that has been waiting is going to be Wyatt. Whyatt? What's going on with you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 16: Hey, good to talk to you guys. So I'm dealing with an issue. I bought a car from a dealership in December, first time ever financing a car in my life, so you know, I don't know what the heck I'm doing. Anyway, I still haven't received my title. I've already gone through two temp tags with the dealership.
Speaker 4: What are they saying? Why are they telling you they can't get the title? What's the hold up? According to them.
Speaker 16: They have not given me an explanation. They just tell me, oh, we can't see it on our end. We'll have someone give you a callback, and no one calls me back.
Speaker 4: So and then you have to go in and get another title. I mean typically it's four to six weeks. It's reason. Here's how it reads basically, and I'm going off memory here. It basically says they have a reasonable time, So we got to decide what's reasonable December to May fifteenth. When did you buy it in December? Has it been six months or just about December sixth? So it's more than six months. What I would say is you have waited a reasonable amount of time. So the question is if they can't deliver title, what are your options. Well, they have to undo the deal. They might charge you a little bit per mile, which they're allowed to do, but that's going to be insignificant. Do you like the car? Do you want the car? You just want the title. So really, let's pretend they're willing to undo the deal because they can't get the title, and they need to because if they can't get it, you can never register it and you can't have a tempt title or a temp plate forever. And usually if someone can't get a title means they shouldn't have the car. It's not like if if you physically lose the title, it's pretty easy to go to DMV as a dealer and get a new title on the vehicle if they lost it. But if they took it in on trade, for example, and found out after you bought it that it's actually titled out of Oklahoma and someone's name that never sold it and possibly it's stolen, there's never going to be an answer to this because they shouldn't have sold it. So do you want the car or do you want the title?
Speaker 16: Well, I want both.
Speaker 4: I just they're not trying. I guess what I'm asking is, you're not trying to get out of the deal, right. No, Okay, let's do this. I'm going to put Doc, you want this one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have one question for you, May if you finance it, doesn't the finance company hold the title until the loan is paid off.
Speaker 4: Yes, they'll hold it, but they haven't received it either. Because his registration paperwork's not a DMV. They can't even I'm assuming they can't even process the vehicle for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Doc, you're correct if he finances it. And I don't know if you know this, but in Colorado, the bank's gonna hold the title, right, But there is digital titles now, so they might have done it that way, but that part doesn't matter. The paperwork's not getting the DMV. The title work's not getting the DMV, meaning they can't deliver title.
Speaker 2: Doc.
Speaker 4: Okay, what we all you got to do is call up and shake them up a little and figure out why they can't deliver title in six months and tell them Colorado. In Colorado, they need to if they you know, I'm sure they know this, but remind them in Colorado it's in a reasonable amount of time. Consider it done. Yeah, during COVID you might argue six months is reasonable, but not right now, it's ridiculous. You can walk into any DMV. Something's going on with that vehicle. So here's what we're gonna do. Emery, I'm gonna put Deputy Doc on this and he is gonna get or I'm sorry, Wyatt, I'm gonna put Deputy Dock on this and he's going to get all your information. I'm going to put you on hold. Kelly's going to get it from you, and then Doc's going to reach out to you and then he's basically going to want to see the bill of sale, the financing whatever, just the basic paperwork with the VN on it and the dealer phone number and who you're dealing with, and we'll figure out what's going on, all right.
Speaker 6: I wonder if it's a one of eleven counties that we have trouble with. Where'd you where'd you buy the car?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Where is it?
Speaker 16: Colorado screens? It's called AutoNation USA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, AutoNation shouldn't be having There's something. There's something fishy about this man. I'll give you a call after the show. Yeah, hold on, bro hold on Wyatt. Make sure Kelly you get all the information on one. I got to take a quick break and then we'll be back. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Michael, you're up next.
Speaker 12: Then Charlie, go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 12: Leave time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three O three seven one three A two five five one line open three oh three Martino, you've been ripped off taking advantage of We want to hear from you. Now. I'm going to go to our expert, Kevin Coukin. Hey, Kevin, I've got a question for you. Man. Kevin's was shared in auto tech emery called in he bought a vehicle twenty twenty one Dodge ram uh used vehicle, of course, and he bought a warranty with it, and the engine went out twelve hundred miles later. I'm sure he bought it as is, but they sold it to him with the warranty. But really none of that means anything at this very second. He put in a monitoring system. So you've got one part that plugs into the ODB two ODB two and then what is the other part, Emory? Is it like a screen that's right there? Yes, And what is the system called?
Speaker 22: It's an ad ETS three.
Speaker 4: Have you heard of that, Kevin?
Speaker 10: I'm not that specific one though.
Speaker 4: Well. In what they're doing, the warranty company is denying the engine not based on previous conditions, which most likely is what it was if it was only twelve hundred miles, but maybe not. What they're denying it on is the modification clause, which seems absurd. And I asked Emory, I said, is it a tuner? Does it do anything besides to show you the information? And he says it does nothing but show the information. I mean, have you ever heard of that? How could they possibly hang their hat on that they can't. That's yeah, they're just throwing crap at the wall to see what'll stick.
Speaker 10: They need to show the modifications contributed to the failure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Emory, you do need a modification.
Speaker 10: They can't go that way.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: Now, let me ask you this. If he did a tuner on there, they probably could, you know, if he souped it up, they could probably.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you seen denials for that?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 19: What's the most lifted cold airs?
Speaker 10: All kinds of stuff they can.
Speaker 4: Get on pickup trucks to snowplow in the front will kill it.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Hey, let me ask you this, just out of curiosity than Emory. I'm going to tell you who to call. And you do need an attorney, Emory. But what's the most egregious reason you have seen a Sharitan auto tech? Someone turning down a warranty, a company turning down a warranty.
Speaker 10: It's usually a problem with the adjuster more than anything.
Speaker 4: Uh, just an attitude or what.
Speaker 10: Well, we had a rear disp go out in a customer's car, and the adjuster came and pulled the drain plug in the back to check for oil. Yeah, and snow oil ran out. He deemed it as abused because it was under filled.
Speaker 4: Well that's crazy. Did you end up getting it done?
Speaker 10: Well, it took. It was a battle, but but you know because he already pulled the plug out to check the fluid, so of course a little bit ran out. Yeah, now we had we had a big argument with the adjuster on that one.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So here's what Thanks Kevin. That's Kevin Couk and shared a Auto Tech. Great guy. In fact, you'll be in tomorrow with me three oh three, four five, five seventy two forty two. That Shardan Auto Tech or you can go to Shardan Auto tech dot com. Thank you, Kevin. Now here's the deal, Emory. Here's what I'm going to suggest big time. I'm going to give you what's her name, Kelly Raina? Am I saying it right? Who's our lawyer? Give him Raina's number. All she does is issues like this, if it's a car issue on a warranty. I mean, this is her bread and butter, and she's better than anybody. I think. A simple letter from her to the warranty company do you actually have the deny.
Speaker 22: That's in I've got email saying yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what. That's the denial letter. So that's the deal. You need to send that. You need to call her, send her the denial letter, send her some information and talk to her about it, and she'll do that for free. And the first step will be for her to write a nasty Graham as an attorney to this company going this is BS, you can't do it. And she does this all the time. As long as you're right that that wasn't some kind of tuning device, it didn't modify the horsepower anything. I think it's going to be a slam dunk once the attorney's involved. Now, if they're going to push it, and you got to ask Rayna about this, and she's going to end up suing them, and she'll let you know if you got a good case. I mean, that's what she does. If she thinks you have a good case and you go in and win and get it fixed, you'll probably get attorney's fees too.
Speaker 21: Yeah, well, yeah, I know that's what I'm okay, I'm saying.
Speaker 10: You know, the inspector came.
Speaker 4: Yeah there, listen, man, most of these warranty companies, that's what their whole is. They show up and they find a reason to deny it. What I'm hoping they don't do is they don't come back and go, well, yeah, you're right, this didn't modify anything, so therefore we can't deny it here. But we're going to say it's a pre existing condition. Now, if they do that, what we have to do is you need to call back in and we'll turn around and go after the dealer and basically say to the dealer, you sold this guy a warranty. The warranty is no good because it's preconditioned. He wouldn't have bought He wouldn't have bought his vehicle if it didn't have a warranty. So and that happens all the time. But hold on, I want you to call rain I got it.
Speaker 11: Brother, okay, And someone's gonna give me her phone number.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put you on holden. Kelly's going to give you her office number. Call up, talk to her, leave a message, but tell her what's going on. She's a great attorney and that's basically all she does. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Charlie, what is going on with you?
Speaker 9: Hello?
Speaker 19: Hello, Charlie, Hey, Yeah, I just wanted to let you know you know, I listened to your show about the zero Red carpet cleaning for one hundred and nineteen dollars for three rooms.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, three areas and nineteen bucks.
Speaker 19: Yep, right, and you know you with the carpet goes into the pad and all this stuff. Well, my we, my wife and I have a new puppy and uh, basically we've had some problems where it's had some accidents. So we said, well, let's go called zero reds. So my wife gets on the internet and goes through and sets them up for carpet cleaning. They come out and she had put in there that you know, we need the pet end zyme and all this stuff and get it all taken care of. Well, the guy came out, the technician, and next thing you know are three rooms now turned into four, which we had no problem with. Yeah, so they clean our They cleaned the carpets and everything, and she had talked about other things, other services wanting to have happen. Well, make a long story short, our carpet cleaning ended up being one twenty six dollars.
Speaker 4: Well, how did you wait, wait, wait a second, are you saying and this is a very important part here? Are you saying that they didn't tell you what the price was going to be before cleaning. They told you it was one hundred and nineteen, then it ends up to be a thousand. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 19: No, they went through it and went through it with my wife and they well, you're gonna need to do this.
Speaker 10: So she knew to do that.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, I get it, you're saying they upsold you. I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 10: But they got sold that they told you.
Speaker 4: They told her the price.
Speaker 19: Fine, right, and so it's fine.
Speaker 10: She agreed to that.
Speaker 4: So then.
Speaker 19: She said, okay, let's go ahead and do it because we need to get rid of this smell. Sure, so she all this done and then I come home and the smell is not even close to being done. And so then I'm going wait a minute here, I said, what did they do? And she said, well, they brought in a wand and all this and they cleaned it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when there's pets there, I mean, we've got pets. I know exactly where you're talking about. They have you know, special stuff that you know goes in and breaks down and dissolves the urine or eats the urine or whatever.
Speaker 19: It does exactly. And so I said, well, geez, I'm not happy with this, you know, because when I looked at their website, they says they use brushes, and they used the wand and all this stuff.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to.
Speaker 19: Hello, well the company, I said, hey, are you there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hear you. I lost you for a half sec.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 19: So anyway, I called the company and I said, hey, I'm really not happy with this. So they said, no problem, we'll come out because we have a guarantee.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 19: I said great. So then they came out and the technician came out and we have a meeting. I came home and I stayed there to talk to him. Well, he says, well, you know, all we're going to do is redo your carpet. And all we're doing is putting a band aid on it. It's still going to smell. I said, you're kidding me, right, and he goes, you'urine went.
Speaker 4: Down into the wood. I mean, really, what are they saying because they've done spots for us and I've never smelled anything.
Speaker 19: It's a concrete floor, okay underneath it, So what are though they're saying that they're going to need to use this blaster thing to go into the path. And I'm going waiting out here. You guys said you're going to go into the path, Well, then you're going to use this blaster at sixty five dollars or whatever a square foot and I'm going, wait a minute here, And he says, well, your wife knows about this. I talked to your wife. And he's sitting there throwing my wife under the bus.
Speaker 4: Well, hold hold on, Charlie, Wait a minute, Charlie, Charlie, hold on. I understand you're upset, and I have direct connections to call over there. So a couple of real questions. One that is a very important part of it is what they're saying. If he's saying, hey, I told your wife feels going to be a thousand bucks. And I also told her that if this doesn't work, we have to go to that next step. I mean, I don't know how much of a problem I have with that. I understand the up selling they do. They do if you have pets or if you have certain stains, it does cost more. There's only if you want though you don't. It's not like they tell you you have to do it. I get all that But what I want to know is did he tell your wife that you might have to do this blaster, which to me would be insane. Anyhow, I think you could replace carpet cheaper. But then see, I don't believe sixty five dollars a square foot. But anyhow, what did he tell her.
Speaker 19: That that's what? And he apparently used this blaster in an area that was the highlighted area.
Speaker 22: Well, it's still smells.
Speaker 4: So was he a could he come back in and redo it? Was he willing to come in and reblast it?
Speaker 19: No, he said he'd come back in, but he would have to recharge.
Speaker 4: Up for the same area with the blaster.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and so I called this doesn't Hold on?
Speaker 4: Listen, man, you don't have to tell me any well, hold on how long ago? Watch he's going to tell me nineteen ninety eight? When did this happen?
Speaker 19: It happened last Friday?
Speaker 4: Oh? Perfect? Hold on, Hey, Kelly, I want all this guy's information, and I want you to send it to Suzanne. Actually send it to me because I know what the story is. And I'm going to send it over to Shane. He's the owner of zero res. Okay, and let's figure out what's going on with that, because they do have a guarantee if everything he say is correct. This is the first you know, ironically, and Charlie, you can believe me or not. This is the first issue I have had a call on with your and listen seven years.
Speaker 19: Well, another caveat to that is I was irritated, so I went and rented a cleaner from Home Depot and my wife and I spent last Friday and Saturday cleaning with Home Depot cleaner. Yeah, and we were literally dumping the bucket and it was dirt, it was black. I mean, we've spent.
Speaker 4: How bad is this carpet? How like literally how old is this carpet? Nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 19: We built the house, we moved into the house brand new in twenty twenty, in twenty twenty May of twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: How did it get that dirty?
Speaker 9: No, it's not.
Speaker 19: And we only put this carpet. And I want to.
Speaker 4: Say two years away a minute. You're saying they came in and put dirt into your carpet.
Speaker 19: No, no, no, no, no, I have I have grandkids and everything in it. Okay, I can imagine.
Speaker 4: I don't understand. Here's here's my only problem with Zero Res right now, they have a guarantee if they did something and they charged you whatever that sixty five bucks, which I've never heard of for a square foot but whatever it is, even if you're wrong on the price, I don't understand why they wouldn't do it again. I just don't understand unless if they warned your wife that this could happen. Did they warn your wife about it?
Speaker 19: Well, that's what I'm saying. She's like sitting there, dumbfounded. She doesn't know what he was saying. She's sitting there and he's sitting there wanting to basically, as I said, he's throwing her under the butt, like, well, your wife's signed on about it while I did this.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me I want to get I want to I'm want to reach out to Zero Res and see what's going on. Simple is that, you know. I want to tell everybody something. This show rocks. And let me tell you why. He's a sponsor, Shane and Zero Res and they've been a sponsor for a long time. They cleaned my house, they cleaned Tom's house. I've never had a problem with them. And I pay whatever full price is. And here's how the process goes with zs. They show up, you call them on a special it's one hundred nineteen bucks. If you're in an apartment or whatever or whatever you're trying to clean. If it's three rooms, it's going to be one hundred and nineteen bucks. If you have a pet, they'll talk to you about different things to do. Some pets, some cats pee everywhere, so you might want to do the whole house and whatever odor controller oder eating thing they have. They have enzymes that they can spray that literally go after the feceson urine or whatever. If you don't have that problem, they have other products they'll talk to you about, depending on if you need them or not. You might have a wine stain that's been there for ten years and there might be a way to get it out, but they're going to have to use a certain piece of equipment. But they go over every single thing with you. They don't tell you, no, we're not going to do it for a hundred nineteen bucks. That's a real deal. And the free halway right now is a real deal. Hold on doc. They come out and they go over everything. Every single time we have had them out, they literally go over, okay, where do your dogs usually go where do they sleep? And we'll point to that room and we'll pay extra for that one room, and the other rooms will do normal and we're always happy with it. Doc, real quick, did what did what? You and your wife did? Take care of the odor and stain? Yeah that's no, they said, yeah, uh well, she's on the phone with them. We'll find out. I'm going to get involved on this one personally. Call Titan.
Speaker 12: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 13: You don't pay a cent until you're contenth.
Speaker 12: Time for an insurance check up free no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: All right, three oh three seven on three eight two five five. You know, if you got a problem with one of our referral list members, you can call us. You just heard that. You know what's interesting, Try calling the people across the hallway. Try calling the sports guys they do live commercials like we do, call up during their show and say, hey, you were just talking about so and so, and I got a problem with them. You'll never hear it. You'll never hear it. That's what makes us different, Brian. I've had complaints on you, and I sent them over to you, and then you give me your side of the story and we go from there. I don't I don't think I've ever had a com I've.
Speaker 6: Never heard a complaint on Compass. I will, I will second, I forget what complain.
Speaker 4: No, there's been something. There was one, though, I'm trying to even think what one would be. They just think your price is high. And the only reason they it's not like you price it. You're getting them prices if they have a DUI. I mean, Progressive is going to quote them whatever. It's not like you mark it up.
Speaker 7: We've gotten it where they're you know, they hear us on here and they say we called them and they didn't save us money. Well that's exact why. But we told you we couldn't. We told you to stay where you're at. So we just yeah, by no, means you would anybody in a good deal. Ever, in Ture, we don't get paid that much for policies. I just want everybody to know that we are not in it to try to, you know, convince people to go with us. If it's not their best option, we'll tell you to stay put. But sometimes people get frustrated when we can't find a better deal. But you know that's our point is we try to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you have to be and I mean that's just it. Now, Michael, what's going on with you?
Speaker 22: Well, Hey, I've got a friend who was married. He and his wife owned their home as tenants in common, and she passed away and her daughter inherited her half and is not cooperating that he wants to just sell it. He doesn't even live in the house anymore because he couldn't stay there for very long after his wife died. He just couldn't stand it. But I've done a little bit of research and I see there in Colorado there is an action called a partition action that if they can't agree on something that they have to sell it. I'm just wondering if any of you guys in there know anything about that.
Speaker 4: Or if well, I do, but I'm curious. Why was it tenants in common?
Speaker 22: He doesn't know, and all, from my reading, if you don't specify when you purchase a property as a married couple, it defaults at tenants in common instead of joint tenancy.
Speaker 4: That's my understanding too in Colorado. That's true. But wait a second. So now then, why are you saying, Wait a minute, I get these two damn things confused. Do they each own fifty percent of the house separately? Yes, let's get on. Let's get on, Brad O'Brien. I swear to god, I'm going to tell everybody something embarrassing. Tom screwed up one time fifteen years ago using these two phrases. Okay, and we both realized he was wrong. Okay. Ever since then I couldnot fix that in my head.
Speaker 7: It isn't joint Tennessee means if one person dies, the other person gets it all, whereas comments, it doesn't work that way. I get how they work.
Speaker 4: I get to two different So he's saying that both of them owned individual pieces of that house.
Speaker 7: That's what Tennessee and comment is, I.
Speaker 4: Would have married couple in a million years. Do that is what I'm not understanding.
Speaker 7: But if you don't specify, it automatically goes that way. That's what he's saying. So I've never heard that that. Okay, let let's get Brad on. Hold on, let me take this break. Hopefully we can squeeze him in hold on.
Speaker 15: Man.
Speaker 4: If we can't get it, we'll get him on tomorrow. This guy's gonna have all the answers. I still want to understand it. Better hold tight, all right? Three on three seven three A two five five. I'm gonna go directly to Brad O'Brien. Brad, I've got a question for you. When Susanne and I bought our house, well, actually that's not a good example because it's in her name. But when a couple goes to buy a house and they go through a lender and they're they're they're both purchasing the house a married couple, is it stated that it's tenants in common or joint tenancy or if it's not stated, what is it to fault to in Colorado?
Speaker 23: If it's not standard that it's going to be tenancy in common, you actually have to stay joint tenancy or joint tennancy with writer survivorship in order to have the joint tenancy.
Speaker 4: So in this case, let me bring let me bring up our guy and where is he, Michael? So, Michael who passed away?
Speaker 16: The Why?
Speaker 4: So the wife passes away and her portion of the house is going to the daughter, the other person that owns the other fifty percent. Brad wants to sell it, but the daughter doesn't want to sell it. Is that right, Mike?
Speaker 22: Well, she has a drug problem and she's just stonewalling him and ghosting him.
Speaker 4: But she doesn't live there, right, yes, correct, So Brad, what kind of action and how do you force an action at this point? Or or there's nothing you can do?
Speaker 23: Well, first, I have to look at the deed from when they purchased it to see if it was joint tenancy or tendancy in common. He's saying, there's doesn't state either way.
Speaker 22: It is tenants in common.
Speaker 23: Okay, And that's point. One of the owners wants to sell them. The other one does not.
Speaker 9: Want to sell.
Speaker 4: Well, the other one doesn't know what they want to do. Apparently they're a drug addict. They don't live there, but they own fifty percent of it, and the guy wants to sell it.
Speaker 22: Okay, and she has said previously that she would sign it over to him, but she is now ghosting him.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 23: Well, I mean ultimately, any co owner has the right to get a judicial partition, go to court and get the property partitioned and sold and uh and then you split the proceeds. But the other co owner normally has an opportunity to buy out the one who wants to sell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you but if she what she literally disappears, that's when you have to go to court.
Speaker 23: Yes, you can't lose title your house through abandonment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, that's what I'm saying. Then you've got to go to court and basically you're going to motion the judge to be able to sell the house and split the proceeds.
Speaker 23: Yeah. If you can't find them ultimately, if you can't serve them with the papers, you can serve them through alternative means, like through the mail or through publication in the newspaper.
Speaker 4: Michael, what I do is have this guy call up Brad and he can help them through this process. But I mean, really, you've got to get an attorney involved. If you really can't get a hold of her, like you said, you can put notices and newspapers and do certain things, and you basically go to the court and show them prove that basically you tried to get in touch with them, and then you'll have the ability to sell it and then split the proceeds.
Speaker 22: She is serviable, that's for sure. But he's broke, doesn't have the money to hire an attorney.
Speaker 4: And well then they're stuck.
Speaker 22: That's yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're stuck, Brad, how come most are not like that with the married couple. This really has nothing to do with Michael. Michael. I'll give his number out though if you want to ask many other questions off arab, but Brad, real quick, like, when most married couples buy a house and they go through a mortgage, isn't it right the survivorship right to survivorship.
Speaker 23: Even if a married couple buys a house, it still has to stay joint tenancy in the deed from when they purchased it. Otherwise it is tendency in common even between married partners.
Speaker 4: So but most of the time it always is right.
Speaker 23: Well, yes, my custom, most married couples do buy in joint tennancy.
Speaker 4: Why wouldn't they default it? The other way then, just out of curiosity.
Speaker 23: That's just the way that the law is. Our law derives from you know, old English law, and that's what the way the common law might have been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so curious to me. Okay. So usually people like I don't know up until maybe my third house we bought, like our first house, I never would have thought to sit down and tell my lender or tell the builder, hey, I want this to be joint tenancy, or I want this to be tenancy in common. I just most people that are buying their first house would never think about that. But it tends to end up that they're joint tenancy, right, I mean that's generally how it ends up.
Speaker 23: Yes, And most title companies and real estate brokers and attorneys who are involved will know to ask the buying the buying couple or which way they want to take it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're going to more or less explain it like we have today, like you know, rights of survivorship compared to each own whatever. Hey, that's Brad O'Brien. The show is basically over. Brad. I appreciate it. And Brad's number for everybody out there seven two zero three seven zero seven, three eight eight or olslaw dot com. Hey Ray and Maryland, you've guys got a problem with the process server. I'm gonna get you up first thing in the morning. Three oh three Martino. That number works on and off the air. And Robert Bruce. You can find him on a referral list a referral list dot com.