Speaker 1: Kat r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kat r H Garden Line with Skip Richard's.
Speaker 2: Shoes crazy trip.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as well. So many go things to supposing.
Speaker 4: Not a sum.
Speaker 3: Sumon.
Speaker 5: Good morning, start, Good morning, and welcome to garden Line. We are glad you are listening today. Hey, I'm Skip Rictor, I'm your host, and what we're here for is to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. And we try to do that. As I like to say, we put we turn brown thumbs green. There's no such thing as a brown thumb anyway, there's just uninformed thumbs. And so get your thumb. Can if I get both of them, pull up to the radio and let's talk about it. Let's talk about things going on in your lawn, things in your trees, vegetable gardens, whatever kinds of questions you want to ask. We would be happy to visit about all of that. I am sending out the I don't know if it's the last call, but you better hurry up. Call for taking care of your lawn, for fall. There's three issues we deal with in the lawns and the fall. Number one is getting the nutrients down that they need, and that would be lots of potassium, a little bit of nitrogen especially, and making sure that they have the nutrients to produce the carbohydrates that make cold heartiness and come out stronger in the spring. You know, the fall application of fertilizer is the most one of the year because with the nutrient blend in our fall fertilization some people call them winter risers. Do that if you want. With the nutrient blend in those the grass plant is capturing sunlight, making sugars carbohydrates which create cold heartiness. And then in the spring, the new growth is based on what's already in the plant, not what the roots take up. First thing in the spring, after it warms up a bit, the roots start doing their thing. But early in the spring, it's what you put on in the fall that's driving grass growth. Okay, I think I've explained that a lot, but you get the idea. Fall is important for fertilizer. Nitrophos has a three step program. You know, you do the two step on the dance floor, you do three step on the lawns. Well. Three steps are nitrofoss fall special winteriser, that's the fertilizer. Second step is to deal with those winter weeds that are germinating now, chickweed, hindbit, clover all the things that you see in the spring that are growing big. Those are winter weeds that sprouted in the fall. Think of blue bonnets our state flower. Okay, blue bonnets are sprouting now and they sit there's little bitty plants all year. You don't even notice blue bonnets in the winter, do you, But then in spring they take off growing, they bloom, they set seeds, and there we are. Well, winter weeds are the same way, and if you don't prevent them now, you have to deal with them in the spring when they're big and sometimes in some cases if you wait long enough, too difficult to control. Barricade does that. Third step is eagle turf fungicide. Large patch of brown patches, big circles in the lawn you see around the neighborhood, that is brown patch, and eagle turf fungicide prevents it. So here's what you do. You put on fall special winter riser, you put on barricade, You put on eagle turf fungicide. You put on one half inch of water, just irrigate, set something out there, tell you how long to run it to catch a half inch of water that washes them all into the soil. And that's where they do their work. You're going to find the night three step and other night foss products at Enchantet Forest down in Richmond, Ace Hardware City, on Memorial Drive, up in Montgomery at Gym's Hardware, and in alvin Stanton Shopping Center, just a few of many places that carry those products. You were listening to guard Line, if you'd like to give me a call, it would help if I gave you a number, and that is seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: Buchanan's Native Plants in the Heights is one of those destination garden centers that when family comes to town, you just say, hey, hop in the car, you gotta see this place and they will love it. I don't care what they're interested in. If they like fruit, even tropical types of fruit, they have them there at Buchanan's Planet. They love native plants. Oh my gosh, there's no place in the Greater Houston area that has as many as wide a variety of native plants as Buchanan's Native Plants does. Do they like houseplants? Maybe there's a add I'm not getting in the yard messing around, but I like houseplants. They will have houseplants you've never seen before, ones that it's like, oh my gosh, that's gorgeous. I got to have one of those succulents and foliage houseplants and other things. Plants for shade, plants for sun, annual plants, perennial plants, plants that attract butterflies and hummingbirds and everything. Is there a Buchanan's Native Plants. They're on Eleventh Street in the Heights. You need to go to their website though, it's Buchanansplants dot Com. When you get there, what you're going to find is a really really nice arrangement of all kinds of educational materials. You can sign up for their newsletter, which you need to do. It's very important to do that. Lots of good information, but just look at the resources, videos and information sheets and lists of plants for various things. It is loaded. It's very, very valuable to do. But then you've got to get by there. When you get there, you're going to find a full line of the products you hear me talk about here on Guardenline like microlife in Nature's Way in airloom soils and landscapers, pride and nitroposs and know, some plant food and on and on down the line. And buchanis naeded plants on Eleventh Street there in the Heights until it's fun going in there to see what the latest thing that they have is. They put on some good shindigs too. That's another reason to get to sign up for the newsletters. See you can see things coming up. There's some holiday stuff coming up that you will definitely want to participate in and take the kids. There's always fun stuff to do for kids when they're having those kind of shindigs there. Well, what's going on in your landscape? What about your gardens? Have you planted anything for fall? In the way of vegetables. Now is probably the best easiest garden season of the year. I really mean that it's fall. Is we finally got that cool weather. When I say cool, you know it's not hot out there and it's pleasant to be outside and to be getting work done. Things like that. So when you're out in the garden, now's the time to get those vegetables planted. We can be planting broccoli and cabbage and cauliflower and call robbie and kale and collards, and that's a lot of sounding vegetables. They're called coal crops. By the way. They're also called cruciferous vegetables, and they're also called good for you. There are cancer fighting ingredients in these vegetables. Those are I call them the blue leaf vegetables, as if they needed another name for that group of vegetables. But you know what I'm talking about, the kind of bluish green leaves. Those are all great and healthy for you, and they grow like crazy through the winter. Here in the Greater Houston area. We just have nice mile winters, so it makes it really easy to get you know, to get good success with those. It's also time to start planning lettuce, carrots, another thing can go in now. We can plant beets and Swiss charred and turnips and radishes and all kinds of crops. Easiest garden season the year, most fun. All right, Well, I'm gonna take a little break. I'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two KTRH. I'll be right back. Alrighty, we're back back on guard Line this morning. First of all, congratulations, you were up at a good hour of the morning. You are awake or at least half awake. A cup of coffee, you'll at least get one eye open. Look over at your neighbors. Are the lights on over there? If they're not, put on your pajamas or house coat, go over there, bang on the door and tell them that they're missing garden line. They will really appreciate that. Maybe not this morning, they will eventually will when they start listening. Hey, we're having some fun here on guard Line. I hope you'll give us a call and we can talk about the things that interest you. Our phone number seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two and two k t r H. If you have been looking at your landscape thinking, you know, it's okay, but there's just something missing, all right, it just doesn't pop. You know, I could drive down the street and never notice my house or maybe in the backyard. You know you're out there and you're thinking the weather we're having, this would be great to be out here in the evenings and enjoying it. And what could I do out here to just create that setting that makes me have another room to my house and that's the outdoor room. Well. Pierscapes is a company that, first of all, Pierscapes can make your lawn look unbelievable. Number one, they do something called compost top dressing, and they do core aeration no compost top dressing. First of all, you do the correation, You punch little holes in the soil, pop the little soal plugs out on the surface. Then you do a compost top dressing and it falls down in a lot of those holes and among the grass blades and runners and things, and it just enhances the lawn. It fixes compaction, fixes compaction. It helps the lawn grass to thrive by bringing oxygen in the soil, getting that organic matter and nutrient down in the soil volume the sole profile, and it just helps the lawn to do well. If your lan's been struggling, compost top dressing following a corporation is an excellent way to achieve really really good results. I would say what you're doing is you're creating culturally, You're creating a setting for the roots where they can thrive. And when roots thrive, your grass is going to thrive. Now, Puerscapes they can do a number of different things on your lawn. They Puerscapes is the kind of company. Excuse me, my brain is goingside me here, I'm talking about Greenpro when I'm talking about the aeration. In fact, I want to tell you about both of them. The Greenpro for the aeration, they do about a forty five mile radius of Magnolia, Texas. So the northwest quadront of Houston is where they do their work. And I've seen their work and it's outstanding. Right now, they got a really good deal on and so if you purchase the compost top dressing service, prices start at five seventy five plus tax. They will do the aeration for free. So they give in, they do the aeration and you buy the compost top dressing. Now there's a two yard minimum on that order. You can't just say I want one yard a compost and that's all I'm putting out. You need two yard minimum and the price is start at five seventy five. Here's the website greenpro dot net. Greenpro dot net. If you go to that website you can find out more information or you can give them a call. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three two eight one three forty seven thirty three. Now that takes care of your lawn. That deals with getting that lawn that's been hammered by chinchbugs or take all root rod or foot traffic or heat and drought and other things like that, and it brings it back in to looking its best. As for your landscape overall, that is where peer scapes comes in. Puerscapes can do anything you need to make your outdoor area a place where you want to live. So for example, maybe you want beautiful curve apeal and you need some beautiful beds designed. They do design there. They don't just plant plants, they do design as well. Maybe your irrigation system isn't right. As a result, things aren't getting watered in certain areas and plants are struggling. They do irrigation work as well. Let's go to the backyard for a minute. Maybe you've got an area that doesn't drain well and nothing wants to grow there because it's soggy, wet, and most plants don't like a swamp they can do subsurface drainage for you. Do you want landscape lighting, Oh my gosh, that turns that beautiful outdoor area in the evenings into something really special. And they can do landscape lighting. Do you want hardscapes like pathways for example, or a patio for example. Do you see what I'm saying? They do it all. They do it all. Go to their website purescapes dot com and look at the kind of work they do and you'll get some ideas. You know, you may not want exactly what you see in a picture that they did for somebody else, but it's like, Ooh, I like way that arbor you fill in the blank, or I love the way that they laid out that little waterfall and rock area back there, and I can just I can just hear the sound of moving water right now. That's Peerscapes pierscapes dot com two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. Those two services, separate companies, different services. All in all, When you put that together, you have got wall to wall really really gorgeous, impressive show place and a place you're gonna want to go outside and hang out in I'm going to go out the phones now again the number seven one three two one two k t R H and we're going to go to Spring and talk to Phil. Hello, Phil, Welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 6: Good morning. I had a question about fertilizing Saint Augustine oaks and.
Speaker 7: Create myrtles.
Speaker 6: So I'm using the green fertilong I mean Microlife green bag and fertilized in.
Speaker 7: March in July.
Speaker 6: So okay, would my Saint Augustine benefit by refertilizing at this point.
Speaker 5: Well, the green bag would be okay. The Microlife has something called brown patch that where the nitrogen is a slight bit lower and the potassium is a slight bit higher, and that is more of a fall fertilizer to go that route, and because our goal isn't to put a lot of nitrogen on, but it's to have some and then to have a little more potassium. So you could hold that green bag and use it in the spring. I mean, if you want to go ahead and use it now, there's not it's not going to mess anything up at all. It's good fertilizer. But I would buy a bag of the brown patch and use it now and then hold off and use that green in the spring. If all things up, I think we lost phil there. Phil. If you want a call back, we can continue that discussion. Somehow we lost it there. Yeah, this is the time. This is the time to get those nutrients down.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: One reason why while ago I was about to say last call and say, well it was not the last call, but it's getting there. Why is it? Why would I say this is, you know, getting last call for fall fertilizing. Well, the fall fertilizing has to be taken up by the grass plant. And I'll just go to an extreme here and say, you know, if you wait till the beginning of December to put on a fall fertilizer, well you're grasss cooling off enough. The grass is slowed down. It's not actively you know, just growing taking up nutrients or anything like that. The sooner you get those down, the more benefits you get out of them. Now, the nutrients will be there and they cycled in the soil and whatnot. But it's better not to delay, better to get right on it and get that done. That's why I have schedules. Have you have you seen mine? If you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, Gardening with Skip dot Com. On there, you're going to find a lot of things. In fact, we are in the we're about to redo the whole website. It's going to look very different. But when we do that, we're adding a lot of content to it. We're having to reorganize so it lays out better. But right now you're going to excuse me. You go up there and you're going to find my schedules. A lawn care schedule is the big I have two schedules, the lawn care schedule and the pest disease and weed schedule. So here's the way I separate the two. Lawn care is how to grow a pretty lawn, mo water, fertilize, air, a, mineralize, those kinds of things. The other one is everything that goes wrong with your lawn, pest, diseases and weeds. Okay, so that I print them up front and back so that way you can just kind of pin them to the refrigerator and you or hang them in the garage if you want. You got them all out there. It's real easy to see. But it tells you exactly January through December what to do each month in your lawn, and then the products that I would recommend that will achieve that. So like when to chinch, but when do we treat for chinch When would they typically occur? Look at the schedule, it's right there on the insect bar. Going across the calendar page from January to December, you can find right where chinchbugs are. And then you go to the bottom and it's what kills stitchbugs. Well, here are some options, and I give organic options, I give synthetic options for fertilizing, for pest control, disease, and we control and so on. So it makes it really easy. All right, we're going to run back here. I think we got Phil back. Hey, Phil, welcome back to garden Line. Where did we leave that discussion?
Speaker 6: Well, my question was would it be beneficial to fertilize now or to do nothing now with the lawn.
Speaker 5: It would be beneficial to do a moderate amount of a fall fertilizer right now. Don't deliver any further. The sooner you get it on, the more you get out of it. Okay, So that I would say, yes, Well, I.
Speaker 6: Heard you say before that it would tend to store up carbohydrates for coming up in the in the spring. Is did I misunderstand that?
Speaker 5: No, that's correct. And here's what happens. When the grass takes up potassium, especially with nitrogen, which it takes those two up together. They get in the grass plant. And then when the sun shines on the leaves, which is why I say do it now rather than when it's cold, the grass makes carbohydrates, which are sugars, and that creates winter heartiness and it's also stored energy for spring. So that's why we want to get it down. Get some sunlight on the grass with that fertilizer, and get those carbohydrates built so that it is a stronger plant going into winter.
Speaker 6: Okay, that sounds good for my brain. Yeah great, all right. I had to question about fertilizing trees.
Speaker 8: I've got to.
Speaker 6: Oh oaks and crate myrtles and a nail. So is there any benefit to fertilizing those trees?
Speaker 5: Now? I would not bother Now there's nothing wrong with doing it, but they are shutting down and they're not going to be actively taking up a lot of nutrient to try to grow. I would wait towards the end of winter. Do your fertilization maybe early spring. Uh. That way, the roots are waking up, becoming more active and getting busy taking things up, and you get more bang for your buck.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, that sounds good if you don't have I have time to ask one more unrelated question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, real quick, uh huh.
Speaker 6: That is when I mixed up spray. So I got it from spot Treating for nut grass, and I use the stage yender bone eye product products like that. If I mix those up and I keep them, I don't let them get hot like in the garage or anything like that. How long will those last? How long will I be wease that bottle? Because of spot treat and I might mix up a court.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got it, so I don't don't try to store them once you mix them up. Depending on the pH of the water you mix them in, Uh, they could break down in eight hours, or they could break down in twenty four hours, or they may last a little longer. Depends on the ingredient and the and the pH of the water. So it's just in general best to use them hopefully soon after you make them, definitely within the day you make them.
Speaker 6: Okay, really okay, all right, well all right, thank you.
Speaker 5: I do use a lot.
Speaker 6: Thank you, yeah, well.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the question. You bet, good luck with that. All right, well, I believe I got to take a little break here. It's time for another one and I will be right back at seven one three two one two kat rih all right, good morning, well Doobie brothers to kick us off here. If you're listening to guard Line, I'm your host, Skip Ricker, and we are here to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape and fun in the process. Gardening should be fun. And you don't fail at gardening. Listen to me repeat after me, I don't fail at gardening, and you go, yeah, you haven't see my garden. Yeah, but I'm saying you only fail when you quit. Gardening is a learning process. I still learn every day. Every time I go out there and put my hands in the dirt and start doing something, I learn, and I've become a better gardener and you can too. It really is. Listen, It's not like our life depends on it. You know, we're not a farmer feet in the world here where if our crop fails people are in trouble. We're having fun in the garden. And if a plant dies, you put another plant in one of the best horticultures in the country from over on the East Coast. One time said to be a good horticulturist, you got to kill a lot of plants. That's true. Give yourself permission to kill a few plants. Really, I'm serious. I mean, we don't want to. But you know what I'm saying. You get out there and you try things, and you learn and you see things, and hey, there's nothing wrong with it not working. I mean, do you think painters when they paint, don't ever mess up and have to throw it away and paint a new thing, or they've learned how to paint over what they painted and make it right so it turns out really cool. We do that in our gardens. Our gardens. Think of it this way. How many of you remember etches sketches? Do you remember those as little things where you have two knobs, one makes it go left and right, one makes it go up and down, and you try to draw stuff in your two hands. In your brain don't communicate well, so right, when you thought you were going left, you ended up going right. Now you've messed up your picture you were drawing. Well, what do you do. You turn the edge of sketch upside down and you shake it, and all of a sudden, when you flip it back over, it's a blank slate and you get to start again. That's called a rototiller or a spading fork. You don't like your vegetable, row, dig it up, replant. We got more seeds and plants and things. It's all part of the process. This isn't getting it perfect. This is having fun and learning. And no two years are alike, believe me. I mean, think about sod webworms than are lawn. Some years soid webworms just are everywhere and they're horrible. Other years it's like web worms they're not here. That's the vicissitudes of nature. There you go. That's an early or early morning mouthful. Vicissitudes of nature. Sense sounds like you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, the chance in the gardening of having fun is high today. So I would recommend this afternoon you plan on getting out there, go visit a garden center, pick up some supplies and things that you need, and let's keep going. Let's have fun gardening. The most important step of gardening is to fix the soil. Now, I know, there's other very important steps, picking a spot that's well drained or not picking a spot that gets sunlight er doesn't. All of those things are important, but so many people do it backwards. They go shopping and they come home with a plant that it was just gorgeous they had to have, and then they walk around looking for where am I going to put this? And they PLoP, They PLoP the poor plant down in an unprepared plot. As Peter Piper picks a peck of pickle peppers who almost made it through, and that just isn't going to survive in unprepared soil, or it survives, but it just looks horrible. Fix the soil first, brown stuff before green stuff. That's how it works. CNA Maultch is the place to get your brown stuff. They're down south of Houston. They are on FM five twenty one near Highway six and two eighty eight. You can go to their website cnmultch dot com. That's the best way to find information about them. Where they are, when they're open, all that they're closed today, by the way, closed on Sundays, but Monday through Friday seven thirty to five, Saturday seven thirty to two When you go into cienamultch they have premium hardwood multch in bulk. They also have in bulk Landscaper's Pride, black vulvet or rose sooil, the organic compost. You know, they have everything. I mean they got sand and gravel and stone on pallets and they deliver within about twenty miles for a fee. But you're going to find the fertilizers. I talk about their microlife Asamite and Nelson turf Star. You're gonna find nitrofoss and medina and Nelson plant food. You're gonna find Landscaper's Pride products, heirloom soil products like their Vigian herb compost. When you go into Ciena Malts, you are going to go home with what you need to set the foundation for success. Whether it's a vegetable garden or a landscape bed or a lawn or whatever you're doing. Ciena Moltz sets you up for success. Cienamlts dot com start there. I know it's exciting to buy plants and seeds, and buy plants and seeds, but brown stuff before green stuff, and that's how you get to success. You're listening to garden Line my number seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H down at Enchanted Forest, which is in the Richmond Rosenberg area. In fact, if you're in Richmond Rosenberg and you're heading up church Sland is off to the right on FM twenty seven fifty nine Enchented Forest. They've got their amarillis bulbs in look really good cyclomen and all the fall color plants, you know, pansies and violas and all the different things we plant in the cool season, including the gorgeous cyclemen. Just hot hot colors. Love it, the red and the pink, and the coral colors of sycrament, the white cyclement. They're just they stop traffic. They've got herbs in stock. There's an herb for everybody there. I mean, they have an awesome supply of herbs in a channel forest. And then the trees, you know falls for planting trees. The best time to plant a tree is right now, because if you plant it this month, it has all of the rest of November and December and January and February and March and April, and then in May it starts to heat up. That's like six months and that there's nothing that gives a tree a better starts then fall planting. So do you want some hollies? They've got many varieties, as a matter of fact. They they got red maple, Chinese fringe tree, my favorite spring blooming tree. They got red buds, of course. And then go inside in the shop. It's starting to look a lot like Christmas in there. They they're a metal artwork from round Top has arrived. It's just it's a fun place to go and to shop and you're going to find their expertise and you're going to find the plants that you need to have success at in Chanted Forest Dunna Richmond Rosenberg. You go FM twenty seven fifty nine and you will get right there. If you've never been there before, you really need to go this afternoon because it is a fun place. I like the word enchanted in that name. It is an enchanting place. You're listening to garden. I we get some calls coming in here if you'd like to call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H nels Plant Food has a variety of quality products. First of all, thank thanks Dean and the Nelson team for donating so many products. Yesterday, we had a great time out in Kingwood, Texas at the wild Birds Unlimited store. They're off Kingwood Drive behind Torchy Stacos. Thanks for everybody that came out. That was a lot of fun and you got it was worth your time, wouldn't it. I mean, even if the answers were kind of wonky, that would be me. By the way home, you went home with some really cool products from Nelson's. We gave away some of their color Stars. One of four or five different products I gave way yesterday. Color Star is one of their most universal blends, a Nelson plant food. If you're going to put in pansies and Viola's or any kind of cool season color, you need to get a hold of some color Star. It's available in the little plastic screw top jars. It's got five different sources of nitrogen in it. And listen, professional landscapers have been using color Star for a long time, Nelson says, Folks they ship it out of state. There's a lot of people out of state that have learned it works, and they just keep ordering it and using it about every three to four months during the growing season. Sprinkle a little color Star in your flower beds and you're going to see really really cool results. I'd love to use that, but yeah, we did. Boy, we gave away color Star. We gave away some of the Genesis transplant mix. We had veg their vegetable mix, the rose mix. I mean, we were a lot of people went home happy. I know that that is for sure. Well, it's time for me to take a little break again. David and Tomball you will be first up when we come right back for the rest of you. Seven two one two kt rh All right, we're back. Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us. We are going to head straight out to the phones and talk to David in Tomball. Hello, David, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning, sir.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 10: First of all, I'm a I'm a truck driver, and if I if I wound up having a drive on Saturdays or Sundays, all is appreciate you keeping me company while I drive. And I always seem to learn something, so I appreciate that I've got.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I've got two pear trees and both of them are kind of tall and narrow to the point that I can't reach the fruit. And I was talking to the lady out the arbor gate and she was telling me that I could cut them things off at my knee level, and that just seemed kind of drastic, and I just want to confirm that I want to kind of reform these trees to where I can tame them and eventually just have a good round tree and also be able to reach the fruit. How much can you prune off? And when should.
Speaker 5: I do it? We can pronoun as much you want, I mean, as long as you're above the graph line, but you need to prune them lower than you want initially because they're going to grow. And then as they grow, you're going to the branch and grow a little more on branch again and grow a little more branch. You see what I'm saying. So so start your branching down. You know, I would say maybe waist high. It could go lower than that if you want to go to knee high. But here's the deal with pairs. When you prone them, they they grow straight up again. Straight up, I mean all the shoots go straight to the sky. They don't spread out normally like other trees will do. So what you have to do is you get those shoots, you pick one and say, okay, this is going to be a branch, let's say going up to the north of the direction or the east or south or west. And then you you either use a spacer between the trunk and the branch, or you use a steak and a cord to pull that branch out to about a forty five degree angle. A spacer think about something stronger, stronger than a yard stick, but like a yard stick with a V notch in each end. You see what I'm saying, and you just squeeze it in there and you put it right where it pushes that branch to about a forty five If you go any further than that, you're just gonna get a lot of upright shoots coming off the branch too. But you can. You you select those shoots that have grown from your pruning, and then you you you spread them out, and if you leave them there for you know, a season, they'll stay in that spot pretty well. You don't have to leave steaks and cords on five years or anything. They're gonna stop.
Speaker 10: I've got I've got two trees. They're all grown straight up, and I can't by the time the fruit falls off the.
Speaker 5: Tree, it's it's already almost rotten. Yeah, I know, I know, I understand, But you got to spread them out, uh, and it just pairs is they're much better to spread out physically than they are to try to prune and make them go out like we can do with most other trees.
Speaker 10: So once again, once again, I learned something once once again.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, if you go to the Aggi Horticulture website, there's a fruit section and there's a pair publication and when you look at it, it kind of shows you some of this what I'm talking about. But you go up to like the Pacific Northwest where most pairs are grown commercially, and you'll see lots of trees that are spaced and spread and they basically make the tree grow in a beautiful form and they end up with more production that's within reach.
Speaker 11: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 5: All right, be safe on the roads man. Good to talk to you. Well dad, well dd all right, take care. Yeah, that's an interesting thing about pairs. Ace hardware stores are all over forty something stores in the Greater Houston area, and you know what happens when you walk into an ACE, you find everything you need. That's why their motto is ACE is the place right well. ACE is a place for lawn fertilizer. If I talk about a fertilizer on garden line, it's at ACE Hardware Store. ACE is a place for your fire at which now is the season. Get it done, get it done, for it gets cold. Burns are still out active and you can get that bait in their tummies and shut things down. So spring is a much much better time out in the yard. ACE is a place for landscape lighting. It's a place for decorating indoors and outdoors. It is a place for getting the fertilizers that you need to make your long grow, to make your vegetable garden grow, to support growth in your trees and shrubs and color beds and other things. ACE is a place and if you have anything you need to control, from weeds to these diseases to insects, ACE is a place for that as well. Go to ACE Hardware dot com. Acehardware dot Com. There's a store locator and you get this real col map with lots of red dots, and you're going to see some red dots not far from you that are the local ACE stores. We're going to go now to Friendswood, Texas and talk to Bob. Hello, Bob, Welcome to guard Line. Look, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 4: I have a question for you.
Speaker 11: I have a couple of oak trees in the front yard, but one is about eighty two inches in circumference four foot off the ground, and I have a driveway along one side about eleven feet away from the trunk, and then ninety degrees to that a sidewalk going up to the house that's again about eleven feet away from the trunk. I want to put a root barrier in there. I didn't know if I had enough room with eleven feet if I went out next to the concrete to put the barrier.
Speaker 5: Well you can. It's a lot of root cutting and it's going to be very hard on that tree. If I were you, I would call Affordable Tree, talk to Martin spoon Moore, have him come out and talk to him about what canon can't be done. With him there on site, he's actually looking at the tree, looking at the setting and stuff, and he can advise you on what may or may not be feasible. But you definitely don't want to take a risk of doing major damage to that tree, and it sounds like with a eleven feet from a tree that size, that's getting pretty close. But having Martin on site would be the best way to make the best decision on it.
Speaker 11: He'd be able to answer questions too about stability of the tree and a hurricane after that if we decide to go that path.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's that's what he does. He does consults and I mean, of course he does the work, but I'm always trying to get people to call him before they do damage to things, you know, like you're putting in a trench or putting in a sidewalk or something. After you do all the damage and it's hard to you know, it's hard to avoid the results on the tree. But if you talk to him ahead of time, he can guide you on how to do that best. You may give you a phone number, would that be helpful, Yes, sir, okay, it's a seven one three, six nine nine two six sixty three seven one three six ninety nine twenty six sixty three tree. Either Martin or his wife Joe will answer the phone and so that way you know you're talking to the owners when you do it. But yeah, get on his schedule, though, he stays busy. This is burning season, and you know, well he does good work, so he stays busy. Okay, thank you very much. All right, thank you, appreciate you bet, thank you for that call very much. I talk about brown stuff and the importance of it. If you go up toward conroad direction, up Interstate forty five, you go right by Nature's Way. It's right there where fourteen eighty eight comes in from the left. You turn right across the railroad tracks and Sherbrock Circle is right across the tracks. That's where Nature's Way is. They are still having their Fungal Friday sales every Friday, twenty percent off their fungal compost. They are still having this sale on plants. They have a wide variety of native plants and non natives, and the plants that they have are on a great, great discount and it's everything. But I think their full sun sun loving perennials or something like that. It's the only kind of plant they don't have on sale right now. But you can pick up a really good deal on really good plants. Take your trailer out there, your truck. They can load your bulk, or you can just bring home bags last time I was out there, I was hauling home a bunch of bags, and they've got quality stuff. You know that Nature's Ways where a lot of the best for soil products were born. You know we talk about rose soil, well, rose oil was born at Nature's Way. Leaf molcompos was born at Nature's Way. They've been making quality products for a very very long time. They know how to do it. They don't rushed up through. They do it right and get it right so that your plants perform right. That is the goal member brown stuff before green stuff. Nature's Way products are also sold by the bag and you can find them in various garden centers and other places. Just go to their website, check them out, find out more about them Nature's Way Resources. You will be setting the stage for success, a foundation for so access with the kind of products they carry, and some beautiful mulches too. I've got two different kinds of their mulches that I've used in my landscape over time here and just they perform well, they perform well. That's what nature does right. Nature multius the soil. Nature always knows that if you leave the soil bear a weed will be planted wherever sunlight hits the soil, you're going to have a weed. So it's just some good quality mulches soil products that reminds you I got to bed in the back. I'm gonna have to be adding some mix. And I was visiting with Ian the other day out of nature's way about that, well, folks, I hear the music that means we are about done here. Hey, I want to remind you something two thousand United States flags honoring Fort Ben heroes and veterans. Is that it's a something called the Exchange Club is going on out there this yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'm gonna tell you a little bit more about that as we come back. But this is a really cool event that you may want to be interested in going to check out.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kat r H Garden Line with Skip Richard.
Speaker 2: It's just watch him as many.
Speaker 3: Good things to sup by.
Speaker 5: Not a sound.
Speaker 6: Gas.
Speaker 5: Well, good Sunday morning on what is going to be a great day to be out and about. I hope this afternoon you're planning on maybe going out and visiting some garden centers, picking up some of the supplies, some of the plants, stopping in at your ace hardware store. Southwest Fertilizers open today. Got plenty of good things for you out there. Uh. None of our feed stores. We love our feed stores here on guard you know, Sprint Creek Feed is up there in the Tamboul area. It's just kind of north and east of Tamba. I would say Magnolia area on FM twenty nine seventy eight. That kind of give you an idea. You'll know it when you drive by. Gosh, you drive by its cool looking, big old feed store and you walk inside and it's like you think, Okay, wait a minute, Am I in a feed store? Am I in a boutique or whatever? It is beautiful inside, just really really beautiful inside. Good friendly staff. I mean they're friendly and courteous. They just make sure you find exactly what you want. And if they don't have something, they can order it. They will special order products for you. If you happen to be in four h or FFA raising animals, or if you're in the military or senior citizen. There's discounts for all three of those groups. They're at Spring Creek Feed. You're going to find the fertilizers I talk about on Garden Line, like the turf Star line, from Nelson, Microlifeline, nitrofoss line. They're all available there. Plus the things you need to deal with the things that are messing with your plants like insects and diseases and weeds and stuff. They've got you covered on all of that. And then of course it's a great feed store. So if you need any kind of feed from your pets to your your livestock, spring Creek feed they're on in Magnolion FM twenty nine seventy eight, just minutes away from Graham Parkway Highway to forty nine. I keep trying to get people to consider fall as the time to get almost all your planting done if possible. I mean, we can plant twelve months out of the year here in this area, we really can. Now. Summer is a challenge. It's touch and go. You know, you're having to give it a little bit of water every day without overwater and and stuff. I mean, you can plant in the summer. But the easiest time, the time that makes it the less work is possible for you. Also, think about this when you buy a trubb or a shrub or a tree. Those are not cheap plants. I mean they cost some money. Right. They're valuable in the landscape, though, But why would you risk an investment. Why wouldn't you plant it at the easiest time of the year to get it done where your chance of success is the highest. That's fall planting. And right now at RCW Nursery, they've got some really good sales on shrubs. For example, they have a wide variety of different shrubs. I was looking at some I was out there not too long ago, looking at some of the Laura pedulums, the Chinese witch hazel. They have the pretty burgundy leaves and the just hot pink shaggy ballooms. They got beautiful nandinas out there, and holly's of all types. You know, they grow their own trees up in Plantersville, And so when you buy a tree at RCW, you know you're getting two things. Number One, you're getting a tree that's a species that wants to grow here. They don't grow and sell stuff that you shouldn't plant because it's too iffy. They grow good stuff. And secondly, they grow it right. And if you don't add a third to it, if you them to come planet, they plant it right. You knowed buy a small tree tak it on the planet yourself, or if it's pretty big and you don't want to put your chiropractors kids through college, then just have them come out and put it in the ground right so that you are off to a good start for success. Gosh, it's a long time ago when we had Randy. We had a memorial for Randy out of Brookwood and Arcbu donated. It was a nuttall oak, which is a great oak. Anybody that's got an area that's a little bit not drained really as well as we like our areas to generally be nutthall can grow in that. It doesn't have to have a swamp, but it can grow in that. And they planted one out there at Brookwood for Randy Lemon, former host here on Garden Line for so many years. And I just, you know, looking, I was looking at that oak and I was just thinking, man, they know how to grow a tree. It was gorgeous, really well done. Anyway. RCW Nurseries dot com. That's their website. They're located on Tomboi Park, which is two forty nine right where it comes into Beltwegh eight. Whether it's shrubs or trees or roses or vegetables or herbs, or flowers or you name it. They've got it all there at RCW Nurseries. Swing by their easy, easy, convenient for everybody. You're listening to garden Line, I'm Skip Richter, your host, and our phone number here is seven one three two one two kt r H. Seven to one three two one two kt r H. I am about to go prepare a bed. I'll get it done this week because I got to get the planting done. You know, I what does the phrase do as I say, not as I do? Sometimes I don't do as I say myself, but it's not on purpose. It's just I get busy, and you know, I buy plants, I bring them home. They're sitting in pots, and then I'm having to remember to water them every day, keeping them alive because I haven't gotten around to getting the bed ready first. And so now that's what I'm doing. But I'm not gonna put them in the ground until the bed's ready. And in part of that, doing the bed right is mixing in a quality, quality fertilizer product. And I tell you I use a lot of different microlife products for a lot of different things. You know, there's the green bag. That's the summer lawn fertilizer bag. Now, don't tell anybody, but you can use that on anything you're growing pretty much. I mean, it really is. It's we think of it as a lawn fertilizer, but if you want to, if you want to use someone your house plants for crying out loud, you could do that. It's a good fertilizer. But I'll mix stuff like that into the soil ahead of time, get it going, and once it gets moist, the microbes go to work on it, and there they go. They're getting going right now. Microlife's brown Patch, that's the name of the fertilizer. Sounds like it ought to be a fung site. It's not. Microlife produces fertilizers loaded with microbes, and Microlife brown Patch is the one you'd want to apply this time of year in order to have the best lawn you can have. Now, I'm going to be working some of that and also probably some of the of the greenback. I've got some of that as well on hand that I didn't use up on the lawn yet, and so I'm just going to put some in the soil. Mix it in real good and well then I'll put that plan in with Microlife fertilizers. They're not salt based. They're organic fertilizers, and so when you put them down, you're not going to burn the roots. Normally I say don't put fertilizer around the plant roots because you can burn them. Well, in this case, don't worry about it. It'll work. You can do it. And I'm getting that bed ready and that's what I'm going to do, and then when I'm done, I'm going to water it in with some of their liquid products. They have one called liquid AF that is loaded with beneficial microbes that help stimulate and protect the plant roots themselves from Microlife Fertilizer Microlifefertilizer dot com. You can go there and find out where to buy it. I pretty much tell you this. If it's a garden center, if it's a feed sore, if it's an Ace hardware store, Southwist Fertilight, all those places are going to have micro Life fertilizers. It's time for me take a quick break. When we come back, Dwayne from Houston, you'll be our first stop. Alrighty, alrighty, we're back. We're back with Garden Line Looking forward to your calls and hoping you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape. That is what we like to try to do down here. I'm going to head straight out to the phones now and we're going to talk to Dwayne in Houston. Hello, Dwayne.
Speaker 12: Warnings Hip. How about moving a You're like to move a like a twelve or thirteen foot creat myrtle without trying to keep it alive. Any problems doing that now?
Speaker 5: Okay, uh no, you can do it. Now's the best time to do it. As a matter of fact, the leads are coming off, and maybe get a little bit of cooler weather on on it. When you dig it, if you can get wider rather than deeper, there's no need to dig two feet deep to dig that thing up. Just go down about I don't know, probably ten twelve inches will be enough and go wider. If you can dig it up, move it to its new location. If if there is any pruning you need to do, go ahead and do it prior to the digging and moving. It just makes it a lot easier to move. Generally, we like to take a little bit off the top when we're moving because we're losing so much of the root system. You're gonna no matter how much hard you try, you're gonna end up losing about ninety five percent of the roots on that plant. But doing it now gives it all winter to start growing new roots, so it'll in the spring, it'll it'll pout for a good long time. In fact, through spring and summer. It's going to be decide. You're going to wonder if it's deciding whether to grow or die. But it'll it'll make it if you keep the swim waste all around where those roots are that you put in the ground after you move it.
Speaker 12: Okay, what about like the suckers, you know they'll split up, you know, just just pull them apart.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, well you just just cut them off as close as possible to where they attach at the base of each suckers a whole bunch of little buds. And if you cut it off and leave a one inch stub, you're gonna have a whole bunch of new suckers that come right back out of that same spot. So cutting it as close as you can. There's even a product called sucker stopper. It's a natural plant hormone that prevents sucker shoots. From growing and you can spray that on it after you make the pruning cut to help also kind of keep that down.
Speaker 12: Okay, thanks very much.
Speaker 5: You bet the last last thought, and this is just kind of an extra thought. But there's nothing wrong with cutting them way back, like even like to the ground and letting all new shoots coming up that you remove all but two or three or four or how many shot trunks you want and retraining those into you can do that and that would be okay. That there's still a good root system that's going to go with it, that will will help support that new growth. So if you don't like the sometimes crap myrtles, you know, the trunks are all straight coming up and they're right together, and you know you wish you could have gone back in time and kind of created a more beautiful structure out of it. Well, that is one way to do it, is just start back at the ground and the suckers you choose become the new trunk. Good.
Speaker 12: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: All right, man, thanks appreciate the call. That's a drastic move to cut back like that, but you know it can be done. Was it two decembers ago? Two December? I think it's two decembers ago. We had an early early hard freeze, and I know up in the like the College Station Areya, a little further north, they got colder, and uh, the cray myrtles were not ready for winter. They're a hearty, I mean, crave merdles grow back more. The good great myrtle varieties are bred up in Beltsville, Maryland, just north of DC. And how can we freeze crape myrtles in Texas? Well, we did because they were still growing. They were not hardened off and ready. It dropped down around fifteen seventeen degrees and it just killed them back to the ground, a bunch of them, and all these suckers came out. So I just told people, get out there, cut everything off. All those dead trunks are not going to come back to life. Cut them off at the ground. Pick you three or four suckers, make your trunks out of those, and then as they come up, cut them off at some point where they'll branch. And where was one, now you got two. And then each of those, after a foot or so of growth, cut them again and branch them. And people are rebuilding beautiful crape myrtle trees that way, you can do that. So whether a freeze kills them back or whether you cut them back. When you got a crape marl and you just don't like the looks of it, don't be afraid to do that. It can be done. Now. Of course, it's a major surgery and it's going to set. They're going to be shocked for a while. But I'm telling you, sometimes that's that's the best thing to do to end up with a beautiful, beautiful, great myrtle. In Chenni Gardens down in Richmond Rosenberg is one of those destination garden centers that people love to go to. I was out there, it's a good while back. I was out there talking to some folks and they're from Austin, Texas, and they so, what are you doing over here? We came to in Chenna Gardens. You mean you drove all the way over here to go to in Chenne. Yes, we did. We love this place, and I'm telling you it's just another example of the fact that we got great places here in Houston. We need maybe the Mayor of Houston needs to start a Horticultural Tourism Committee or something like that. We get people from all over the country to drive here to see our garden centers and everything. Well, anyway, seriously, in Chenni Gardens is that kind of destination. They're on the Katie Folscher side of Richmond on three fifty nine, three fifty nine, right where three fifty nine there's a f I'm seven twenty three and three point fifty nine right there. That's where inded intended Gardens is. So Katie follsher side. Go to the website and learn more there. It's Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Venterants in nineteen ninety five. A very helpful team, as enthusiastic as they come. You can take in photos and samples. If you really want to get some expert advice, they can provide that for you. And in addition to about as wide a variety of plants as you can imagine, they've got a lot of cool stuff for the garden, like fountains and chimes and whimsical garden art. They are experts at creating beautiful multiplant combination planters, whether it's hanging baskets or containers on the ground, they know how to build it. You can buy one from them or you can talk to them and say, hey, you know, I want to create something like that, and they'll go, well, get this plan over here, get that one over there, and get that one there, put this one in the middle. Let these drape over the sides, and they'll help you be a do it your out for if you want to go about it that way. Now. They carry all the fertilizers you hear me talk about, like my Medina and microlife and Nelson and nitrofoss. They've got soils from Nature's way and heirlooms and landscapers pride. I mean, there's the brown stuff. Don't go home from in Chane Gardens without getting some of that good soil material and good fertilizer to set the stage for your plants to be successful. They're open today, by the way, from ten to four and Monday through Saturday from eight to five. FM three fifty nine Katie fullsher Cider, Richmond and Channa Gardens. Are you one of the people that just kind of goes and visits nurseries because it's like a happy place. You know, some people would go to a botanical garden to walk through and just see the beautiful scenes and enjoy the plants and things. A lot of folks do that with garden centers. And we've got the garden centers that are for that. We got a lot of garden centers that aren't for that. You know, they kind of industrial sitting on top of concrete kind of things. But we've got some beautiful mom and pop independent garden centers. And that's where you get good advice. That's where you get plants that belong here, not plants that were ordered by a chain that sells plants all over the country. And so as a result, Okay, I'm just going to gribe here for just a minute. I'll leave the guilty unnamed. But you know who they are that I walked into a store and they sell everything from hammers to plants, and I was looking at red raspberries, black cap raspberries that you can even grow in Missouri. I mean, they want to be further north than that. I've seen plants just on and on grapes that will not grow here. Grapes you've heard of like Concord. You know, Concord is where Welch's grape juice and Mogan David wine that's produced by Conquered grapes go to New York. That's where conquered grapes go, not Houston, Texas. But they're for sale in Houston, Texas because garden centers don't know what they're doing. Those kind mom and pops, it's different. Mom and Pops are from here. They garden here, They know what to sell here. So I'm just telling you it is well worth the price of admission. As they say, to go to a place and knows what they're talking about. And you know what else will happen when you do that. I know I'm in a soapbox, but bear with me. What else will happen is you'll go in there and you get advice that knows what they're talking about. I've been in places that sell plants and hammers, talk to people work in the garden center, and the first question I asked, the first words out of their mouth, I knew they didn't have a clue what they were talking about, And I said, oh, how long you been working here? A week? I was a hairdresser before that actual story or I've been here two weeks. I was managing the jewelry counter before they moved me to the garden cent Okay, come on, man, really, am I making my point? I mean, yes, I'm partial to our mom and pop garden centers. But there's a reason for that. You know, you go into a place like well, take Arbrogate for example, up in Tomball. There's another great example there. You go into Arburgate and the people that work there, they're friendly and they know what they're talking about. They advise very good. The Number one, they got plants that ought to be sold here and grown here. Number two, they can tell you how to do it. If you go down to Arburgate and you were to say, you know what, I have a such and such, I didn't buy it here, but it's struggling, they're going to stop and help you. They're going to help you have success with it. And then they're going to tell you the product that you might need or the plant that you might need, or how to go about planning it. That is important. And Arbigate and Tomball is one of those places people come to from all over the place and you ought to go. I don't care where you live. If you hear my voice show to go buy Arbrogate and check it out. Arbrogate dot com the website and you can find out a lot more about them. They're west at Tombul, And when you go in there, you're gonna find, First of all, remember how I say brown stuff for greens I have at Arborgate. You're gonna get the organic food complete. You're gonna get the organic soil complete, and the organic compost complete, three bags, three products that are foresetting the stage the foundation for plant success. And then you're going to get the plants that you want. Do you want herbs? Awesome, awesome selection? Do you want color? Go by there right now and look at it. Look at it. It's Wildsville. I'm telling you, it's beautiful out there. And then talk to some of the folks that work there. No, it's fun.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 5: People go there just to have fun and then come home with good stuff. By the way, they're loaded up for Christmas in the gift shops too. You have to see that. Thanksgiving and Christmas. By the way, arborgate dot Com just a few miles west of actually a mile and a half west of two forty nine on Highway twenty nine to twenty outside of Tumbule. All right, gonna quit bragging about our home garden centers. I'm going to go right out to Alvin, Texas. We're gonna talk to Joy. Hey, Joey, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 14: I have a orange true that is twelve foot tall, and it basically died back real bad, and it's come back up from its graft and now it's all the way up to the top and it's full of oranges, but it's from the grafted part. And I don't know what it was grafted too, and I'm afraid to eat them.
Speaker 4: Particular thing, how bigger?
Speaker 5: How big are these oranges?
Speaker 4: About two inches.
Speaker 5: Two inches? Was it a satsuma?
Speaker 10: I believe it was?
Speaker 5: Okay, well, uh, the pretty few you grab one, okay? Well, uh, there's there's two different rootstocks primarily that oranges are grafted to here. Both of them are very thorny. One of them has real crooked, bent growth. It's like almost a zig zaggy, twisty growth that's very thorny. If this is a big old orange leaf sized leaves as opposed to smaller leaves and sets of two or three, then you probably do have your orange that made it above the graph line. If it's loaded with lots of thorns and the fruit typically the fruit on those others is going to be maybe golf ball at the biggest then you probably have the graft union. But that's kind of the way to tell thorniness. Cut into a fruit. If it's solid seeds and a small golf ball or smaller sized fruit, then that's the rootstock. Would it be edible, No, the rootstocks are not edible. You you either dig them up and get you a new tree, or if someone knows how to graft, they can graft it back to whatever kind of orange.
Speaker 15: But yeah, definitely covered and thorns.
Speaker 5: Okay, you got the rootstock. Then I hate to be the bear of bad news, but save yourself time, money and get you some oranges to eat soon by planting a new tree. That's the better thing to do at that point. Thank you, Okay, you bet joy, Thanks for the call. Appreciate that very much. Good questions. By the way, Hey, I'm gonna take a break. I'll be right back. When we come back, we will go to Rich and Joe first. Welcome back to Guardenline, folks. Glad to have you with us today. You know you hear me talk about the importance of soil prep, the importance of multing the soil Landscaper Sprides got you covered on all that. They got over a couple of dozen different kinds of products that you can choose from too. I'd like to tell you about it is. First of all, they're healthy soil compost. They're healthy soil compost is made locally sourced green materials that they have blended. They have composted together and created a perfect blend for your soil improvement. Organic matter is magic stuff when you put it in the soil. And when you have a quality product like healthy soil compost, your plants roots systems are going to thrive. And if the roots are happy in thriving, the plants are happy, and you're happy because you're getting flowers and fruit and whatever you're looking for from those plants. That happens when the soil is right. Mushroom compost another product from Landscapers Pride. That particular stuff is very rich. I've used mushroom compost for decades in gardens and it just really adds a nutrient boost. It's a high quality stuff. It comes from growing mushrooms. You know, it's a substrate they grow mushrooms on and when they're done doing a crop of mushrooms. They move it on out and get rid of it and it is turned into a quality product for the soil by landscapers Pride. Landscaperspride dot com is the website Landscaperspride dot com. Go there, find the store locator, find out more details about these products and follow them on their social media links. Landscaper's Pride and you can really grow something together. I'm going to head now over to let's see Rich in Spring. Hello Rich, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning Skip. Thank you for taking my call. I help in addition to my yard, I help four neighbors with their lawns, treating them fertilizing, doing everything according to the schedule. And what I did about forty days ago, I hit all the lawns with propa connaissol as a trying to get to jump and prevent you brown patch. But a couple of the yards it's cropping up. I have microbute to nail in my toolbox, but it's also the same group three fund side as the propa connaisole. Would you recommend using something else or applying it, Well, it's.
Speaker 5: A matter of time, you know, to use one after the other. As not a problem. But I wouldn't year after year just alternate between the same group of fungicides. So that's where we shift out from time to time. But the Michael Buttenhill and propaconnas all both are very effective against the brown patch.
Speaker 8: Okay, I thank you for your help, and I'll take that direction. Appreciate it, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just something to think about. You know, you can always rotate out, so I would start to build a kind of a longer term plan, if you will, so that if you're taking care of everybody's yard year after year, you could switch out and do some different things from time to time, just to avoid that. You know what you were what you were describing there, Okay, a z oxystrobin would be a good thing to switch out to avoid staying in that the group of ungicides you're dealing with it, they're called demethylation inhibitors, and that's a whole group of fungicides and they all are great fungicides. But switch out and do a struggler and like a oxystroban.
Speaker 8: Okay, well, I have some of that also in the toolbox, so I'll apply to Yeah, appreciated, skip, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: You bet, yes, sir, thanks for the call. Sound like Rick know what he's doing. We're going to go now to Joe in the med Center. Hey Joe, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: Thank you skip.
Speaker 17: Wondering, Uh, I'm having a problem in my yard with what I thought was brown patch or maybe take all root rots. And I've been pounded down nitrofoss CNB I think it is. And I've been driving before, yeah, and I'm hand sprinkling it. I'm wearing gloves because I know you know, but.
Speaker 5: It's been going on for.
Speaker 17: Like a month now, and poor Aaron over Southwest Fertilizer. I keep querrying and bringing them pictures and samples. And yesterday I happened to have also.
Speaker 5: A bag of.
Speaker 17: Golly, what was it, bug out max or something like that, and I sprinkled hand sprinkled that in this area. It's a pretty good size area, oh, ten feet by ten feet. And when I went to water it in with my garden host before I did the sprinklers, because I put it in kind of heavy and I wanted to blast the clumps of stuff I put down into the soil and then turn on my sprinklers and water it in. And when I was doing that I noticed a bunch of grasshoppers came out and I'd not been able to rat keep the problem. And I'm wondering if I was treating for brown patch and grasshoppers are what's chewing up my lawn or whatever, and do they eat the grass or not?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, grasshoppers can't eat grass. But I wouldn't worry about them. They're not a problem right now. They're about to be toasted anyway. I'm surprised there's still a bunch, as you said, around, But don't worry about that. Don't worry about treating them now, not needed, not worth it. Just just focus on the lawn like you're like, you're doing okay, Well it's been all right.
Speaker 17: I've treated it three or four times, like once a week for a month now.
Speaker 5: For brown patch. Yeah for the brown patch, yeah, okay, brown Well switch out of the PCMB then that's a while ago. I was just talking about classes of fundersides. That's that's its own class of funderside, and it's a good product. But I think you probably were going to have better, better results, you know, with like a Miclo Buttant hill that if you're not getting the results with PCMB. Okay, that's Eagle Turf Fund aside. Eagle Turf Fund aside from me. Yeah, I got that yet in there. Okay, they got all right, Well I would switch to that. Here's the thing too, Remember that you may look at your lawn and go, I better put this out, but it's already got infection going on. It just hadn't created the big circles that you see yet. That takes just a little bit of time to do that, and and so you put it out and then the circle still appeared, and it's like, well it didn't work. Well, you know you you actually it had already started before you put that down. And so sometimes sometimes that can be a factor too. These are all good products, but it is important to alternate. So since you got the Micael Buttan nil uh the Eagle turf funder side, then let's just switch to that one. I think you'll be okay. Just don't keep putting on more and more and more stuff, because that's not that's not good. There's a reason there's on the label. And so so if you put the Microbutanhill out, I'd let it set the until spring. If you need to do it again. Okay, all righty a, thank you, thank you. I appreciate that. Thank you very much for that call. I have to run to a break. I'll be right back. Welcome back, folks, Good to have you back here with us. Yeah, we just talked about Aaron over at Southwest Fertilizer, visiting with visiting with Greg. You know, Southwest Fertilizer err is just an example of the kind of folks that are there at Southwest Brother's Bob and Aaron, the whole team. Really, they know what they're talking about and they're not going to steer you wrong. And they've got everything everything you would need to apply, whether it's a fertilizer, whether you're controlling insects or diseases or weeds. Is it a garden tool that you need, you know, maybe a fertilizer spreader, a little hand crank spreader, a walk behind spreader, hose, rake, shovels up my weed wiper. I'm just showing a neighbor yesterday my weed wiper that I built, and the instructions are online on my website, Gardening with Skip dot com. It works, it works, it works, and Bob's got the little grabber tool that you use to make it with. He's got those, of course he does. Southwest has everything. If they don't have it, you don't need it. They've been on the corner of Bisinett and Runwick for a long, long time back. This store goes back to nineteen fifty five. So they are an institution here in the Houston area and for good reason. You can go to the website Southwest Fertilizer dot com. You can call them up seven to one three six six six, seventeen forty four. But whatever you do, go buy there, check out their products, and go home with something that works, something that you know will work, that's for sure. He was also conversation we're just having. He was discussing the Eagle turf fungicide. We kept using the term mic chlo buttanil. That's the ingredient in it. It's an ingredient that works well on brown patch and Eagle Turf fungicide is part of the nitrofoss three step program. The three steps are the Eagle tour fungicide for diseases like brown patch, and then secondly the barricade, which is a pre emergent weed control product. It forms a barricade over the soil surface and when a weed seed tries to sprout and grow through and establish a can't it kills it. Third step is the for all special fertilizer from Nitrofoss, perfect fertilizer designed for our soils, designed for the kinds of turf species we grow here. High and Potassium's got a good nitrogen content to go with that potassium to create a strong grass plant that can go through whatever kind of coal weather we have here and also come out strong in the spring. And you're going to find Nitrovoss products at places like d and de Feed and Tomball. You're going to find them at the Arbigate, You're going to find them at Shades of Texas on Genoa Red Bluff. You're going to find them at Bearings Hardware, both the one on Bissinet and the one on Westheimer. All spas ace up in the Woodland Night Lake hardbur and Angleton and Lake Jackson r c W Nursery. I mean I could just go on and on. Night five is widely available and the stuff works, that's for sure. Let's go to Greg in northwest Houston. Now, Hey, Greg, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Yes, Hi, can you hear me?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, all.
Speaker 18: Right, thank you, say, well, this is sort of a follow up call, but situation it's involved involving brown patch. And then also a question about how to remediate the fact that I guess the fung aside that I applied, as I understand it kills off good, good organisms as well as the bad organism. So to start on the thing. Back in September, on the twenty first, I applied the first round of the one eagle I guess it was yes, and I had already started seeing some patch appearing in my backyard. And then after I applied, say within a week or two, I could see the grass starting to fill in to those areas, and I thought, okay, we're doing well. And then I got busy with life, and by the third week after that original application, I could see brown patch spreading again. So I applied Eagle again on October twelfth, and I had the same basic thing. Well, okay, the same sort of thing happened. I got busy with life, and by the third week I was I was seeing the brown patch come back again. So I had reapplied on November first, and on November first, I went ahead and put down the micro Life brown patch treatment to get the fertilizer full fertilizer down and get the organisms, the good organisms in that brown patch formulation down on the yard. And that's where I'm at. But okay, so I'm one week away from the third application, and I don't know. I'm assuming, you know, based on the instructions on the bag, which said every two weeks, I may have to keep applying that product every two weeks for a while. But I'm wondering when this is going to end.
Speaker 5: Do you have any idea it should last longer than that. I would If you've done it twice, I think you ought to be good on it. Right now. The things that predisposal to brown patch attack are lots of water, frequent watering rain or irrigation, and excessive nitrogen. If the grass is really in a lush state, it's going to be hit harder with the brown patch. Sometimes the applications, as I was saying earlier, may have been after the infection had begun, so you don't always see the results you had hoped to see. But if you've done it twice, I think you're good on that. I would just watch the cultural things like water and fertilizing and hold it with what you put on right now, and I think that that is the best thing that you can do for it. You may need to shift. I don't know of a resistant strain of brown patch in our area or anything, but you know, if you're not seeing results with any kind of product, it's never a problem to shift to something else and see if you get a better result with that. But for right now, that should be enough. That should be enough.
Speaker 18: Well, I'm just thinking, okay, so again I'm a week away. I'm thinking two weeks, three weeks, say, by third week, if I start seeing the brown patch coming in again, should I go ahead and reapply third weeks?
Speaker 5: Third week since the last application?
Speaker 18: Well, right now, I'm a week away from the third application of Eagle.
Speaker 5: Well half far apart where they were so first of November and then you did it.
Speaker 18: Well, I'm sorry, okay, we're going too fast on the third. The first time I applied it was September twenty first, than October twelfth, then November.
Speaker 5: First, Oh, I see, okay, So each.
Speaker 18: Time I can see the grass starting to grow back in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you've you've done it three times already and you want to do a fourth is that it well.
Speaker 18: Uh, I'm wondering. I mean, at this point, I'm a week away from the third application, but next week it'll be two weeks, which would be I guess on the on the what two weeks?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 18: So I'm just wondering if if I keep if I keep going without applying more of the product, am I going to wind up having brown pash coming back in again?
Speaker 5: Does You shouldn't have to You shouldn't have to apply that many times to get through a season on this. If you want to try it once more, i'd wait a little longer at least before you try it again. But uh, I can't quite picture what you're seeing out there. Uh, something doesn't sound quite right. But I can't put my finger on what's exactly what's going on there. I would say wait at least until a little bit later in November if you're going to apply it again, And if it were mine, I think I just wait and watch period. But that's a lot of applications, and you you should have covered things. It should it goes in systemically into the plant, and you should get about three weeks out of it.
Speaker 18: Even if you look at the instructions on the back of the bag. They say apply every two weeks for for brown patch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you can to get ahead of it and stay ahead of it. But man, you've you've been applying it like pretty often. So if you want to go ahead and give it one more, give it one more. But it's not it's not a black and white line on this. And I've got to run. I'm I'm late for a break here, but there's not a black and white line on it. Just just give it another one if you like. And then I think I might. I might if you're still having brown patch problems, I might shift and try a different set of chemistries on it, just just as a make sure. Okay, I'm sorry, but I've got to run. Greg. I hope that is helpful for you. You're listening to the garden line. We're gonna take a little break at the top of the hour here. I will be back if you would like to be first up when we come back, give us a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I want to remind you I was telling you about this earlier. Honoring heroes in Fort ben County. Perfect theme for the second annual Field of Honor display that the Exchange Club in Sugarland does. It's an awe inspiring panorama of two thousand flags ceremonies. We're on November ninth and a November tenth Hometown and Personal Heroes, and tomorrow honors our veterans out there. I'll tell you more later.
Speaker 1: Welcome to k t r H Garden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Just watch him as a world.
Speaker 5: Tell us so many seat block days.
Speaker 1: They're not a sign.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. We are here helping you have a more bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. If you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. You have heard me talk about Starve Hope Ministries before star Hope mission here in the Greater Houston area makes a difference in the lives of people. You know, summers behind us. We're all looking forward to the holidays, but for a lot of people dealing with homelessness, they're just looking forward to their next meal. Do you know you can provide a meal to a homeless man or a woman or a family, just two dollars and eighty five cents. Two dollars and eighty five cents. Star Hope serves more than six thousand meals in a week and they really could use your help. How many meals are you willing to provide? My wife and I support Star of Hope. We have for a while now. In fact, our volunteering with them goes way back in time because I've seen the work they do and I believe in it. It changes lives. It's not just a handout, as they say, three hots and a cot, meaning feed you three times a day and give you a place to sleep. It is that, but it's way more. It's life change that changes people from homelessness to people with jobs, with homes, with transportation, and with hope for a new life for them and for their children. Go to Star of Hope mission website. It's sohmission dot org. Sohmission dot org. Will you join me in giving the Star of Hope? With this holiday season coming upon us, it's more important than ever. I'm going to go out to the phones now. We're going to go to West University and we're going to talk to Charlie. Hello Charlie, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 9: Thank you, good morning. Question two questions. One about moms. We had some mums in the last or three months or so, and they bloomed real nice, and then maybe two or three weeks ago, the blooms faded.
Speaker 7: And turned brown, and I'm not sure what to do with it now. I have re read that you might have a second crop of mums if you trim the plant.
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Well, not at this point in the season. The buds that we enjoy in the fall were set in late summer, and so whatever buds it had, it had. If they ever get dry, and they get dry fast, those moms use a lot of water in a pot. If you don't, you let a day or two go by without water, and I mean they brown out on you. But you can trim, show them back and put them in the ground and try to keep them going that way. If you continue to take care of them through the year, you can have moms next year. They they're much lankier bushes than what you buy. So the reason those you bought are so nice and tight and mounded is because they they've sheared them and shared them and sheared them all the way up until about midsummer and then let them grow for the fall, for the fall show. So in the landscape you have to do the same thing, uh to maintain a compact form. But you can do that. But as far as this fall the bloom, the blooms are done. If they're if the ballooms they had are gone, they're done.
Speaker 7: Okay, Now you're assuming I should leave them in the pot or take them out of the pot and dol I trim them.
Speaker 5: Now, well, it's up to you. I mean, I you know, all things being equal, would be better go ahead and get them in the ground and let them get start getting established, uh for next year. Uh, if you want to leave them in the pot and just we have a saucer under ours, a real deep saucer, like two inches deep, and we just fill that with water and whenever there's no water in the saucer, we fill it up again and it wicks right up into the pot. And that's the best way to water a mom. If you pour water over the top, you end up with some rots and decays, and it's just harder to water them well that way. So we use the bottom watering thing. And you may if you don't leave in a pot for a while, you can do that, do the bottom watering. But either way, just keep them moist, get them in the ground, and then next year as they start to grow periodically kind of shear them back a little bit.
Speaker 9: Okay, well, I'd like to put them back in the pot in the nice visible location again so I don't have a place to see them in the ground.
Speaker 7: Okay, I got you.
Speaker 5: Then then you got a challenge in your hands. It can be done, but to go you know, all the way from March to October, not letting it go dry is a challenge. And you're definitely are gonna need a big, big deep saucer underneath there that'll hold some water. And then you just have to always be watching it and make sure doesn't lack for water. Give it some fertilizers, you go through the season. Okay, it can be done.
Speaker 7: It keeps the moist all water.
Speaker 5: Well moderately moist. Yeah they're not using much water when it gets cold. But yeah, when we first got our mom, I mean I was filling that saucer like at least once a day, keeping it adequately hydrated. Yeah not now, okay, sir, thank you good luck with it. Appreciate your call very much. Yeah, moms are very very popular for good reason. They're gorgeous plants. They're beautiful. Speaking of gorgeous plants, plans for all seasons. Has gotten in their holiday cactus, and oh my gosh, they are so beautiful, you know, the colors that kind of a coral orange, red to pink to hot pink, you name it. They've got all kinds in there, and they look good. They look really good. When you take those things home. You want to keep them adequately MOI, and give them give them as much light as you can, you know, I know we want to display them indoors for decorating and things. Just keep them out where they get good light. Keep the temperatures as moderate as you can, no extremes, and they just look I've got I probably have like seven holiday cactus now because each year I get one. And then they're easy to take care of. I mean, if you forget the water a little bit, they're okay. Don't overwater them all the time, but I mean they're easy to take care of. Mine just keep surviving. And so here, I don't know, I don't want to do all these things. Maybe put a whole bed of them in or something. But seriously, plants for all season has them. They look good and oh my gosh, the adeniums, the desert rows that they have is they're gorgeous. I can describe it. But you just got to go by and see them, you know, some of them. Some of those plants have like a variegations in the flowers themselves, so you kind of get a multi It's just very interesting. They're beautiful plants. They're easy to grow. Just don't know over water them. They're succulent. But they're there, and while you're there, you're gonna be able to pick up all the fertilizers. I'll talk about it on guard line. They're gonna they've got their roses, they've got shrubs, trees, annual color containers, just you name it. They've got it. Plants for all seasons. There on the corner uh well, just just north of Luetta on uh where two forty nine are on the side of two forty nine on the Feeder road. So if you're if you're exiting for Luetta, you just want to go north on the Feeder Road and they're just a block up the street there and when you go in, you're going to find expertise. Like I was bragging on about our garden centers here locally, you're gonna find exactly that, very helpful people plants that want to grow here. That's Plants for all Seasons, Plants for All Seasons dot com. If you would like to give me a call, feel free to do so at seven one three two one two kt r H. I'm gonna take a break. I'll be right back. Welcome back, garden line folks. Here we go. We are back in the satelle again on discussing things to help you have success with plants. I hey, one way to have success in your lawn is to take care of the three big issues that happened this time of the year. That's fall fertilizing. That is weed prevention, and that is disease management. And as far as fall fertilizing, nitroposs back to all three of them. Nitrofoss has got you set up with what they call the three step, the Texas three Step program. You do the two step on the dance floor and the three step across your lawn. Here's what you do. You put out fall Special for Winter Riser that is designed with a mix of nutrients. That's ideal to help that grass plant go into the fall season producing the carbohydrates necessary for cold heartiness and early spring growth. Second, you bet on the barricade, which is their pre emergent by nitroposs. You put on barricade, it prevents weed seeds from germinating. And then the nitropos Eagle turf funge side is a systemic protectant and curative fungicide. It goes into the grass plant roots and it provides that plant what's necessary to fight off that brown patch when it occurs. One two three fall special barricade EGO turf fungicide. After you put them down, you put them all down the same day. Water them in with a half inch of water. Get them into the soil, because that's where everything happens. That's where the roots take up the fertilizer. That's where the roots take up the fungicide and the soil surface. That barricade ties up right there, so when a weed seed tries to sprout through it, it says, uh uh, not going to happen. You can find this at D and D feed up in Tomball. You can find it hiding and feed on Stuben or Airline, Ace Hardware out there in Sinco Ranch or Gym's Hardware up in Montgomery as well, nitrofoss Texas three Step all three products available in those places. And also you know, just in general, you know I talk about ACE Hardware stores a lot, Ace Hardware is going to have everything you need. This three step program by Nitropos. You go to an ACE Hardware shore, you're going to find it. Ace Hardware carries a wide variety of things. If I mentioned a fertilizer on garden line, They're going to have it there at ACE Hardware. If I talk about well you need this herbicide or this sponge side or this insecticide, They're going to have them at ACE Hardware store. They carry organic, they carry synthetic. They carry the things necessary for you to have a beautiful, beautiful landscape and a very bountiful garden as well. That turning that outdoor area into a place you just enjoy gathering, turning your landscape into a place you're happy to drive up to or to go out in the back in the evenings and sit and enjoy Ace Hardware. Forty stores in the Greater Houston area actually more than forty. Now go to Acehardware dot com and find the store locator, put in your zip code, and you see this cool map that's like, oh my, there's a bunch of Ace Hardware stores that I can drive to from right here. In fact, one may even be across the street. There's so many of them in the Greater Houston area. Ace Hardware. We're going to go now out out to Laporte and talk to Stephen Well. Hello, Steven, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Hey, good morning. How are you doing this weekend?
Speaker 5: I'm good, sir. How can I help? Hey?
Speaker 19: I wonder what's what's the best kind of succulent to plant for this time of year?
Speaker 20: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, there's a lot of immune plant this time here. What are you looking for? Something to plant in the ground as a ground color like a container?
Speaker 19: Yeah, downcover would be nice. Just you know, something big and colorful and uh, something that will go good with this this type of weather this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the succulents in general, they tend to not be as colorful. There are some that bloom. A stone crop is one that blooms that's used as a groundcover a lot. Uh, there are some that have a kind of a it's kind of a silvery color to the foliage one. And a ghost plant is an example of a succulent that has that kind of color that's interesting in the folio. And then there are plants that are annuals that are succulent you know personally, and don't plant that now we're way out of that season. But I'm just saying there's a wide variety of options in containers. There's oh gosh, the desert rose. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's beautiful for containers, but it can't take freezes. Put in a container, so we can bring it in when we plant. But you just have a lot of good options. Go into a good quality garden center. I know you're with where you're located out there, not too terribly far away from Moss Nursery out in Seabrook. Have you ever been to Moss?
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, I've been in there.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, they built that out of their house right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It is many many, many, many many years ago. They have excellent selection. They've got they got succulents in mixed basket container and containers. So yeah, like you get a bunch of different succulents all together that you just grow together like that, and they've got some really good options. I'd go by there and talk to him and just see, hey, what do you guys got in You know, that would be good and hearty for this time of year because there are a lot of out there. Just make sure with succulents they got good drainage. That's that's a muss.
Speaker 19: How many how many freezes are we supposed to get this winter? Doesn't seem like we're going to get much winter at all.
Speaker 21: You know.
Speaker 5: And I had a crystal ball and I broke it, and now I have no idea. No I wish, I wish I could predict that, but who knows. And you guys are down far enough south where you know, you just don't you don't have the same amount of freeze issues that they would up in the northern part of our listening area here on ktr H.
Speaker 19: But uh yeah, okays, yeah, I'll swing by Moss and check out what they have, and I recommend everybody. I've been in there many times.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Oh, I love that place. I love that place. We we've got some of their strings from the house plant greenhouse, string of Pearls, string of dolphin, the string of they got strings of everything in there too. Yeah, that's not a hearty one you put outside, but it sure is a fun one to grow. So anyway, well thanks or even call than you bet appreciate that very much. Take care if those got in the Kingwood area. I was just out there yesterday, by the way, thanks you, thank you to wild Birds out in Kingwood Drive in Kingwood for having me out yesterday. We had a really good time. And I was talking to some people and they were looking for some things in a garden center and said, look, Warren Southern Gardens is right down the street on North Park or Kingwood Garden Center over on Stone Hollow at the Kingwood Garden Center. They're having a heck of a clearance in their gift shop, clearing out for new inventory. And right now this week thirty percent off. Next week will be forty. But let me tell you something, if you wait till next week, the stuff you really wanted to go in there and get maybe gone by then, because you can't beat this deal. And they have their gift shop has everything just try to imagine it, and it's in there, you know, select pottery and break slits, candles and light fixtures, and hats and glassware, floor mats, vases, kitchen stands, drink where, jewelry. It's an amazing place. Kingwic Garden Setter's Gift Shop thirty percent off right now now at Warrens Southern Gardens, they are still offering their little special deal on all kinds of things. Their emmerless bubbs, by the way, are in stock there and you need those for forcing make a good gift for you giving to people that you go visit, maybe for Thanksgiving or something like that. They are loaded up with cool season color, like you know, pansies and violas and things. Still have beautiful moms out there whatever you do though. And fall veggies. I keep trying to talk you into having a fall vegetable garden, even if it's in a container. Warrens is loaded with good fall veggies. If you are there or if you go online, or if you call them, either way you go about it, just say I want to sign up for your newsletter, and you need to do that because they have special coupons and they have special offers like their monthly lawn care coupon that they have during the season. You need to sign up for it so you can be up to date on what's coming in and the special deals that they have, real easy to do Warrens Southern Gardens out there in Kingwood, Texas. Let's add up to Willis now and we're going to talk to Mike. Hey, Mike Hara things and Willis.
Speaker 22: Oh it's a little bit wet right now. It's too bad, but I want to complain about that. Yeah, no, I needed the rain. You know, an orchard I've got I'm planning on doing some early prunin on some fruit trees. I've got a lot of fruit trees. I'm only one person, so is that a problem. And then we put about fifteen citrus trees in a greenhouse because I lost about twenty of them in the ground.
Speaker 5: And you know, can you when can you pick the citrus?
Speaker 22: You know we got mandarin oranges, to oranges to grapefruits, yeah, you know, to be completely yellow, solid yellow or I don't know. I've been experimenting with and but I y you figure out what's your take on them?
Speaker 5: Sure? All right? Well, first of all, pruning, I would wait until mid to late winter to prune your fruit trees in general. And that is because if you print them too early and we have warm weather, they try to re sprout and then they get really hurt by a cold freeze, so hold off until mid to late winter to pune them. As far as citrus, citrus, you know, when we buy oranges, they're fully orange, But when you're growing an orange, it doesn't have to be fully orange to be ripe. In fact, you wait long enough and it gets a little on the mealey side, So don't expect it to be fully orange. Each one is a little different. There's satsumas, there's oranges, and of course a lot of other kinds of citrus, and you just kind of have the sample one. But I would say if you get an orange it's got about fifty percent orange, I might try it and taste it, and that way you get used to the species and varieties you're growing and what they should look like.
Speaker 22: Yeah, because we you know, I do have like mandarins, the satsumas. You know, one one is turning real orange right now, and the rest of the lemons and stuff like that are still kind of green.
Speaker 5: That you can't wear that fruit early then and let it ripen up.
Speaker 22: You know, the lemons and limes and green they won't rip.
Speaker 5: They won't ripen. Yeah, citrus won't ripen off the tree that when you pick them, that's ripe as they're going to be. Yeah, yeah, but this is this you know, November is a big time season for satsumas and and a lot of things.
Speaker 16: So just.
Speaker 5: You know, just test one out and then that way you'll know. I mean I can sit there and try to describe the color and stuff, but I just know that they don't need to be fully orange, and you should pick them when they're about half orange and see what that's like. Maybe pick one a little bit later, and then you'll know exactly for your issues and cultivars what to do.
Speaker 22: How about really fruiting on muscanine grapes and blueberries and blackberries.
Speaker 5: Uh, I would wait until the end of winter for those, do you want them? Or mid mid Actually midwinter is fine on those. If you wait a little too long, some of those will just drip and drip and drip. When you pune a grape, it's like you cut cut open a faucet or something. It's just dripping.
Speaker 22: Yeah, that's my problem.
Speaker 5: Just one person. Okay, all right, Mike, thank you sir, Good luck with all that. Have fun with it. All we ask is that you bring us half the produce when you when you grow it. Asmite is the micronutrient supplement you've heard me talk about on Guardenline. As M Texas dot com is their website. Whenever you're fertilizing, just when you're done with running across the yard with a fertilizer, run across it with asmite. I recommend about once a year if you want to get a soul test done, then you exactly with a saw test. You know exactly every kind of fertilizing you need to do, from standard fertilizers the three numbers on the bag to azemite, which is all the trace minerals of trace elements that are also essential, needed in small quantities, but essential ASMI Texas dot com. That's a website where you can learn more. And you're gonna find azamite all over the place here in the greater Houston area. All right, I'm gonna take a break the phone number seven one three two one two k t RH. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Guardline, folks. Good to have you with us. Hey, if you live down in the League City area and by League City area, I Mean Bay, Cliff and Dickinson, San Leone, Webster, clear Lake, el coming to reality. You know what I'm talking about, Santa Fe Lamark, Well, your hometown feed store is League City Feed. League City Feed is right there in League City. Just it's on Highway three, a few a few blocks south of Highway ninety six. Been around for forty years and it's the old time feed store, A level time this. You go in there, it just has I don't know, that ambiance of an old time feature. I even like the fragrance and you walk into an old time feed store just that I don't know. I grew up going to feed stores and I love those things. Well, when you go into League City Feed, you're gonna find the fertilizers you need to have success with your lawn. You hear me talk about nitroposs and you hear me talk about azemide and nail some plant food in microlife for example. They're going to have those there. They have products to control pests and weeds and diseases. They also have some really premium premium pet foods too as well. So stop in there. Sometimes they're open money through Saturday nine to six are close today, but money through Saturday nine to six, So after work you can even swing by on the way home and grab you some stuff there at League City Feed. Here's their phone number. Two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. Two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. League City Feed just a few blocks south of ninety six on Highway three. They're in League City. Let's see, we're gonna go now to We're going to go to carry in Buffalo. Hey, Carrie, how are things way up north in Buffalo?
Speaker 16: Cloudy and nasty?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, we'll take it. It was hot, dry and miserable before, so we're gonna go with cloudy and nasty for a while.
Speaker 16: That is true. I wish we'd had as much rain as y'all did. Okay, all right, My question is I've got great myrtle barx scale? Is can I drench the Do the drench right now or should I wait till spring?
Speaker 5: It's better to do it in the spring because the plant are actively taking it up. You have better results in the spring.
Speaker 16: That's what I was thinking. But I just wanted to make sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you want to get do you have a bunch of great myrtles or just a few?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 9: Five.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, well there are waste a monitor for when the scale are active and crawling around. When the new babies hatch out is typically March or April, as you should start seeing that. If you can find those busy out there crawling around, that's the best time of all to even use. The sprays of oil on the trunk will help at that stage. Otherwise it's kind of hard to control those scale with oil.
Speaker 9: Like neamur.
Speaker 5: Like well, you could do knem oil or just a horticultural oil, or in the Dorman season, dormant oil was put out, but a horticultural oil also called a summer oil. But it works when they got the little babies that aren't protected crawling around the old mama scales, the white things you see there, those are hard to kill with the oil for a great myrtle bark scale. Okay, just giving you another option, all right, all right, well I appreciate it, all right, all right, Well you have fun, and I promise I will I will not tell the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce that you said the place was nasty and cloudy and all that. Okay, that's gonna be our secret. Oh god, whatever you said, carry have fun, take care bye bye.
Speaker 16: I like that.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, you never know on guard line, and you never know what's going to come out of my mouth either. If you've been to the Antique Rose Imporium out there in Independence, Texas, just a little drive outside of town, it is such a cool place. Antiq Rosenperium has been a destination for gardeners and families really since nineteen eighty three. I almost went to work there when I was still just in graduate school in college. I talked to a previous owner there and was thinking about that back in nineteen eighty three. So it's been around a long time and it's a great place they've got they're always releasing new roses. In fact, this Friday and not this Friday, ever Friday in the past few weeks off all, they were releasing a new rose side variety that hadn't carried before. They got one called Xena XI NNA. It's an antique. It's an American rose or an antique rose Emporium exclusive. I'm having trouble getting my words lined up here. They bred it, they got patents pending on it, and they are releasing new varieties periodically out there. It's kind of a cool place. You know, when you go, it's like you've entered another place in time. It's a good outing. It'd be a great thing to do, you know, on an afternoon, just head out there, take some friends with you, maybe a picnic lunch, or grab a restaurant out that way. It's just a fun place to visit. Load it up with native plants, other kinds of plants for seasonal but of course roses, roses and more roses. Now, if you purchase something there, tell them I sent you and they'll give you a ten percent discount at checkout. You got to tell them SKIP sent me. Or if you're going to order online, do you know you can order your roses online from them. Enter coupon code and the coupon code puts skip twenty twenty four and you'll get that same discount. Go to the website and check it out. That's the best way to see just how cool this place is. Antique Roseemporium dot com. Well let's see here. Don't have time to grab another call here, so when we come back, we will be talking to Steve and to John as well. Listen, if you haven't used Medina has to grow, you need to get some right now, and you need to keep it on hand. Medina has to grow plant food. There's a has to grow lawn that's great for the growing season. Medina has to grow plant food. Is a six twelve six that is perfect for transplanting or for folio feeding, if you want to go that route. But I would say when you put any plant in the ground, I don't care if it's a little tomato plant or a broccoli plant, or if it's an herb, or if it's a flower, if it's a shrub, or if it's a tree. Mix up. The medina has to grow six twelve six because you always got it on the garden shelf there. Drench it with a watering can right in around that plant. I would do it again about a week later, maybe again a third time a week later, and it helps that plant get established. And that's very important because first of all, congratulations, you're smart. You're planning in the fall, that's when you should plant, and you're adding the medina to it. Medina has to grow six twelve six. You're gonna have success. All right, I'm going to take a break. I'll be right back, folks. All right, folks, here we go our last segment of the hour this morning. We got one more hour in ahead of us, So stay tuned. If you are planting a tree this fall, and if you plan on planting a tree, plant it this fall. Now now, now, now, now is the best time to plant a tree. And I've said it before, Elsey, that one more time because I know people, you know, I broke my heart when I first found out that people do not get up every day to turn the radio on at six am and listen NonStop all the way to ten am. Every time line is on. People. You know, they wander in and out, who knows when. So maybe you didn't hear me say this, but fall is the best time because when you plant a tree right now, you've got November, December, January, February, March and a six months of really reasonable weather where the roots will grow. Even when our roots grow some not as fast, but they grow before summer hits. It's the best time and the best way to do it is to put a three sixty tree stabilizer on that tree. It's a little bar. It hooks up to a post that I like to use a tea post because they're easy to drive into the ground. It has attachment that hooks to the tea post, or you can hook it to a regular post. It's I don't know, about a foot and a half two feet long. You put it right out from the tree. Then you don't have these wires to trip over. You don't have you know, all the other you know, like what do they do? You take a wire, put a piece of a garden hose over it so it didn't cut into the tree, and all that. You don't have to do any of that stuff. You just took it up the end that attaches the tree as a soft rubber strap, and you loosely attach it that way the tree can move, because there's a principle in nature that when things are stressed and moved, they get stronger. You go to the gym every day. Let's do this. Here's a fun experiment. I know you won't do it, but you know what I'm talking about. You go to the gym every day, and I just want you to get barbells, and I just want you to work one of your arms. Do curls with one of your arms every day, every day, every day, getting stronger, strong, and then compare your left arm to your right arm. What's gonna be the difference. Yeah, the one that works out stronger, it's bigger, it's it's healthier. Right, Well, that's what happens to tree trunks when they're bent and stressed by the wind. If you hold something perfectly still, it doesn't go through that bending and stressing the roots in the ground. When the tree leans and moves, they're stressed and they get stronger and thicker and better. And so you want to let trees move a little bit, you know, not three feet, but you just want to give it some room to move. And the three sixty tree stabilizer does that. And you can get these things. They got them hoorheshad and Gardens and Albin Southwest Fertilizer, corner businest and Renwick Ciena Molt's done in Siena south of town. And then as you go up central and north there's Buchanans and there's RCW nursery plant for all seasons and arbrogate all plays. As you can get the three sixty tree stabilizer. Don't plant a tree without it. They last a long time. When you're done using them on your tree, just hang them up in the garage because you're gonna want it again, or maybe your neighbor's gonna plant treating a loan of yours three sixty tree stabilizer. All right, let's head out now to Lake Jackson, Texas, and we're going to talk to Steve. Hey, Steve, Welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Skip. I love your show, so thank you.
Speaker 23: I sent you you, sir, I sent you an email just to better go. I've got three pictures of my front yard. Yes, I'm battling a recurrent problem there. I had to replace much of most of that yard last year with the draft and you know, and what have you.
Speaker 4: And so now I've got this recurrent you know, funk.
Speaker 23: I think it's a fungal infection that I'm battling, and it just seems to be getting ahead of me here. So first, I guess, can you identify from the photos what I'm dealing with?
Speaker 5: Yes, that is called large patch. We have always called it brown patch. That's the name most people know better. But a large patch of brown patch, and the nitroposs eagle turf fungicide helps prevent that. Now you've already got quite a bit of it, do there. So it's not the fungicide's not going to make brown become green. You know, when the weather warms up, grass will grow back. That is not killing your grass. It's just rotting the leaves off of the runner and then they'll grow back when it warms up a bit. But if you're put the eagle out now and protect the other areas that haven't gotten it yet, that would be a good idea.
Speaker 23: Yes, I've been putting the eagle down about every three weeks or so, and I think it's just got gotten ahead of me.
Speaker 4: So I put a round of it down yesterday and okay, I watered it in a bit, and so.
Speaker 23: Yeah, what I've done in the past is I'll just take a rake and I'll go through and I'll rikee and try to rake up some of those the brown blades of the grass and get it out there.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that does any if that helps or not.
Speaker 5: It doesn't really help. But what it also does is it opens up more soil to sunlight, and that's not a good thing. That's why Nitropos has their product called barricade that we put on in the fall. You might want to if you haven't done barricade, you may want to do an application of that because you water it in like you did that egal Tor fungicide. You watered in the and it gets in the soil surface. So those areas where brown patches killed all the grass blades, in time as they shrivel up, there's gonna be sunlight and you're gonna start getting weeds into those areas. So the barricade would be a way to prevent that from happening. This all.
Speaker 4: I put some barricade down about two or three weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Oh good, you're good, ye, don't reapply it, all right?
Speaker 23: Is it too late to lay down new side at this point? Or should I wait until the next spring. There's some areas of the yard that are yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'd wait until next spring for sure. Don't don't mess with that. Now, you're you're good for now. Just okay, to continue to do the kinds of care you're doing.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well, very good, skip, Thank you sir.
Speaker 5: You bet, you bet, Thank you very much. I appreciate the call, all right. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. If you are looking for a you know, quality types of products, we try to recommend the companies that I know do that. When I when you hear me talk about stuff, it's because I've used it. And there's some situations where, uh, you know, I haven't, like for example, I haven't had foundation work done before, but I have contacted the folks that I like to talk to or talk about on those kind of products and talk to people that they've they've worked with and consulted with them, and I see the kind of advice they give us, seen to kind of approach they take. I believe in that. But when it comes to products like fertilizers and pest control, disease control, I've tried those things. I do those things, soil blends and things, and that way I know when I'm recommending something to you. See to me, there's there's two ways that I can feel comfortable telling you about a product. One is I use it and I know it works. Number Two, as I see research on a product or you know, an ingredient or something you know like Eagle turf fungicide that is Michael Buttenel and that is a systemic fungicide that works very well. I know that works. I've seen the research on it. So I don't have a question recommending things like that. We try to we try to weed through those. I just the other day turned down a sponsor because that don't believe in the product. I just don't, and so we're not going to do that, and we try to stay with things that I've had success with or that research has proven, and that is my goal, at least is the best of my ability to do that. We're gonna go now up to Tomball and talk to John. Hello, John, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Skiff. I have a silly question for you, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. All Right, I'm I've talked to you before about this. I've got Bermuda and sant augustine, So I'm taking out the sant augustine. So there's a lot of bear spots, right, will sin So do I put some good quality so all in there? Then? Leaf compost? Or should I just go with the leaf compost?
Speaker 5: You could mix some leaf compost in if you're able to mix it into the sole surface. I would go ahead and do that. That would be fine. Or Heirloom Soil has a product called Premium lawn Mix. It is made with sand compost and bed mix, and it's really good for prepping for sad laying. I believe it's seventy four dollars for a supersack, which is a cubic yard, and they'll you can go drive out there with a truck or trailer and haven't put it in it, or you can have them deliver it to you. But that's the product I would use if you're going to be planting a lawn is the premium lawn mix from Airloom Soils.
Speaker 13: Perfect. Okay, I'll do that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah you met, Yeah, and up there in tom Oil you're not that far away, so that's good. Well, good luck getting that established. You know, spring is the best time. That's when grassroots are growing. March, especially in April especially the grass is waking up, and so you want to have everything ready to go by then.
Speaker 13: For sure, what about Rover's tail on the phone? What about nuts said, just kick it from but right now, I probably like everybody else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a product called sedge hammer or a product called sedge Ender. But I hear the music. I'm about to have to shut up here. If you go to gardening with Skip dot com, that's my website. There's a publication on nuts edge, and I really urge you to read it before you get going after it because it will help you understand how you go about controlling it. It's a unique weed and it's not just like, oh, spray it and you killed it and you're done. Not said is different. But the products, the products are on there, and the information you need to have success is on there, whether it's in a lawn of flower, better vegetaboard wherever you got nutsedge? Okay gardening with Skip dot com. Thank you, yes, sir, thank you appreciate your call very much. Yeah, heirloom soils up in Porter, Texas area. You go pick it up. Here's a number two eight one three five four nineteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt RH Garden Line with Skip Ricter.
Speaker 3: It's just watch him as works many spots.
Speaker 2: Again not a sign.
Speaker 5: Thank you all right, folks, welcome back to guard line. Glad you are with us. Good to have you with us today. Thanks for tuning in. We are here to help you have success and if you'd like to give us a call to talk about some questions you might have seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. Before I went to break, I was talking with a johnap and Tumble about putting some things down to prepare for the lawn. And I'd mentioned that Erlom Sauce has a premium lawn mix. It's made with Mason sand, compost and bed mix. Really good for salt prep. And you're gonna put a long down. G do you just get the mixed. It's like, it's real reasonable. It's seventy four dollars for a supersack that's a cubicyard. You can drive over there. Haven't put it on the on the truck or trailer for you, or they will drive over and deliver it for a delivery fee. I'll drop it off in your area. Uh, it's I believe with delivery. They have a three sack minimum. Okay, So it's it's expensive to deliver bulk stuff around town with all the rules and regulations and costs and things like that. It costs money to do that, to operate the machinery and the trucks and stuff. So three sack minimum. You can book a delivery if you want to go to the website rockanmultch dot com that's r O c K, the letter N the word multch dot com slash delivery. I know that's a lot to say on the air, but I always tell you listen to guard line with a paper and a pencil nearby, or a pen so you can write stuff down rock in multch dot com r O c K N m U l c h dot com slash deliver. Now, while you're doing that, do you need leaf moll compost. They've got both the leaf moll compost and the veggiean nerb mix for one hundred and twenty nine dollars. And by the way, you get to keep the sack. I bought some stuff at another place in another town of the city off somewhere else where. I had to pay sixty bucks for the sack itself. Had a couple of sacks. Actually that's what they cost me. It's ridiculous for that. But anyway, with this deal you get to keep the sack, so that's extra cool. One hundred and twenty nine dollars a good price. That you can buy the lawn mix and the veggian nerb and the leaf molt. You can buy cedar mulching by Hardwood melting by Pine bark mulch. And then they have two beautiful little gravel like products. If you're doing a little kind of a gravelly stone area. The black star is black and it is so gorgeous. And then the rainbow gravel is little pebbles that are multicolored and it real beautiful. They just look good. You can buy that stuff by the bag too, you know, heirloom soils, warren rock and malt. They just have a lot good products. All right, So let's see here. Where are we now? We're gonna go to Deborah in Pleasantville. Hello, Deborah, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Hello, let's gip.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 15: I got you an email yesterday about a fuzzy caterpillar and today about translucent mushrooms. Are those good or bad for the garden? I heard mushrooms can be a good thing.
Speaker 20: Is that true?
Speaker 5: Yesrooms are, yes, I do. I looked at them. Those mushrooms are decomposer fungi. It's the fruiting body of decomposer down in the soil in the thatch or in the dirt in the compost and the mult whatever. They they're breaking that down, turning it back into soil, and so whenever we get a little cool, cooler weather, a little break from the temperature, a little rainfall, those mushrooms pop up. It's a real common thing in the fall to see a lot of million different kinds of mushrooms. But it can happen anytime a year or two. But uh yeah, no problem. It's just nature doing the thing it needs to do so we can have a bountiful, beautiful place. Now, the caterpillars, I'm trying to remember that. I don't see that I did see. Is this the caterpillars that had the little black and white hairs that were sticking.
Speaker 7: Out in the red eyes or something on him.
Speaker 5: That is a that's a tussock moth. Don't touch that thing. Their little hairs are very irritating to the skin, very burning to the skin. Uh and and so be careful with those. But that's a toussy Uh. Well, that's okay. No, I ain't gonna hurt anything. It's part in nature. It's okay. Just Actually, there's a bunch of different kinds of tussic moth. If I remember right, Deborah, it was yesterday I looked at it. I think it's one called Shout's tussock moth that you sent me. I'm not seeing the picture right now, but I did look it up to see which one, because a lot of them have black, have long black and white hairs, and yours was almost all white. And so if you want to get entomologically nerdy about it, it's called Shout's toss of moth. Okay, you can tell your friends that they'll be very impressed.
Speaker 9: And you know that.
Speaker 5: Well, I like that nerdy stuff.
Speaker 15: Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, all right, thank you much. I appreciate your call. All right, I'm counting on it. Man. It hurt my feelings if you weren't. Thank you. We're going to go to Magnolia now and talk to Cindy. Hey, Cindy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 24: You get Morrin Skip.
Speaker 12: How are you this morning?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm doing super well, Cindy. How can I help today?
Speaker 25: I am calling about my rosebushes. I had some shorter issues during the summer and they were really neglected. I've got some of them that have dead stalks on them, and I know I probably should cut that back, but I cut the dan out. But I'm questioning coming back some areas because I know that cause fresh growth, and I don't know if it's too late in the season. So I want to ask you what to do with them, and ask about fertilizing.
Speaker 20: What do I need to do for the winner?
Speaker 5: Yeah, good question. I would wait. Roses are pretty darn hardy. I mean, you see roses trying to put on growth in February, sometimes in December. It just depends on the weather we're having. I would wait and not stimulate them with pruning just yet. If you could get by until about February to do that pruning Valentine's daytime, that would be a good time to do it. It's not black and white night and day. You know, you cannot touch them until then. But if they were mine, I would just put up with it and then get in there, trim out all the twiggy stuff, cut them back however you want after that, and I think they'll be fine. I would start fertilizing as the growth begins in the spring, and then periodically just give them a little boost to keep good figure. Yeah, I would, because right now they need to be settling in, not trying to grow. Pruning and fertilizing, you know, those are things that stimulate growth, and so we don't we don't come down.
Speaker 25: Wonder yeah, yeah, okay, wonderful. Well, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 24: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you well.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the call. Cindy. Good luck with those roses. I hope that goes well for you. Well, I'm up against a break here, so Curtis sat in Friendswood and Orlando done or up in Spring Branch. You'll be our first two app when we come back from break. I just want to remind you listening to Guardline. We're here ever Saturday and Sunday from six am to ten am. Tell your friends, tell your neighbors. We got listeners all over the area. In fact, we've got listeners from out of state as well that tune in. You can listen to us with the iHeartMedia app. You can listen live, So download the iHeart Media app. Go out in your yard. You don't meet inside right now, you should be outside working in the garden. Just have your phone with garden Line on and give me a call if you got a question. I'll be right back.
Speaker 24: There we go.
Speaker 5: That's what we're talking about this morning. Welcome back to Guarden Line. Good to have you with us, Very good to have you with us. We're having a good time here. I'm having a good I hope you are. You know, gardening is a blast, and the more you learn about gardening, the better you get at it, and the more fascinating fascinating it is. Just talking of it Diver a while ago. You know, about the fungi that she has out there, some of the nerdy stuff about the insects. That's kind of cool stuff. I really really enjoy learning about all kinds of things like that because it just every time it's a reminder that the world we live in is absolutely miraculous. It is amazing the things that are going on. We start learning about a bacteria in the soil that gets up against the plant root and tells that plant root to grow different up on top can make it more disease resistant. That is amazing stuff. When you look at two plants that are connecting root to root and one plant gets chewed on by an insect and a signal goes to the next plant saying, hey, you need to grow your tissues different to make it harder for this insect to eat you. That is amazing stuff. That's the world we live in. We're just beginning to learn about it. Just a miraculous beauty of creation that we get to enjoy. Speaking of those kinds of things, Microlife Microlife fertilizers have been around for a long time. Number one selling organic fertilizer in Houston. You're not going to burn your plants with it. It's not a salt based fertilizer. It's got over one hundred minerals of different types in these products, especially you know, like they're sixty four. The one we use during the growing season right now is brown patch season.
Speaker 8: Do that you know?
Speaker 5: Microlife bag contains a lot of central nutrients and billions of billions and billions of beneficial microbes. I first used Microlife on my lawn about ten almost ten years ago now, I believe, and it's going to give you somewhat of a gradual release in that those particles or organic materials that microbes break down and release the nutrients to your roots. It's not just the salt that dissolves in water in the nutrient chart there. It's going to break down with microbial activity. And because of that people have success with it and swhereby. You can go to micro Life Fertilizer dot com to see all of the ingredients that they have, all the products that they have, and a full list of the retailers you're going to find it Today's Hardware, and it feeds stores and independent garden centers and Southwest Fertilizer. It's just easy to find and the stuff works. Let's head out now to Friends with and we're going to talk to Curtis. Hey, Curtis, Welcome to garden Line. Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 20: I have a question about a big tree. Alrighty, it's an orock big tree. It produces abundantly.
Speaker 13: This year it.
Speaker 20: Started giving out figs, oh, I would say, and March they started to grow, and by August they had given me all the things that I thought it was going to give me, and then.
Speaker 7: It grew.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 20: It's covered with figs, but the hard as the rock, and once a week or so one of them will ripen up. But it's going to get cold here soon, I know. So what what do you do with a fig tree at this stage?
Speaker 5: Well, you just nothing, You just uh, you know, as it cools off, the leaves are coming off, and it's going to go into dormancy. So you don't want to print it now. You don't want to fertilize it right now. Uh, it's gonna it's just gonna go into dormancy, and sometimes you get the end of the season and we don't get those last figs finished. But it's a it's a really good, it's excellent fig. Rourke was bred in l. S u and lois In. In fact, part of the parentage of it is Celeste, which is an A and M bread fig. So you've got a fig there that has a lot of genetics for being in southeast Texas, if you know what I'm saying, And that's why it's performing so well for you.
Speaker 20: Well, I remember typically over the last years the leaves would turn yellow and fall off, but the leaves were all still nice and green and it's covered with figs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it'll that'll stop here in a minute when we get a little bit of cold weather in sad But yeah, it's a it's a good fig. Just you know, take what you got. And some figs just produce one crop a year. Others are able to produce a couple of times a year, and as long as we don't freeze them to the ground, you're going to get sometimes probably two crops on that O'Rourke.
Speaker 13: That's it.
Speaker 5: Good luck with it. So all we ask on guardline. You know the rule on guardline. I don't charge for my advice, but I do ask that you bring half the produce and drop it off at the radio station. We'll call it even, all right, I like figs. Hey have fun, stay out of trouble, partist, take care. That's true, folks, you know it just does. Hey, you hear me talk about quality all the time. Quality home products of Texas. They are the ones that will sell you the Generaic Automatic standby generator. But more important than selling you that they give you service after the sale. Listen. Fourteen thousand and five star reviews, seventy seven thousand satisfied customers eight times. They've won the Better Business Bureau's highest prestigious Customer Service Award. Now they are twenty twenty four. This year they won the next Door Neighborhood Favorite for outstanding service and Products. It's because they take care of their customers. You can buy generating a lot of places you cannot get service, and a lot of places they work with you. They make sure you get the generator you want, the quality generator you want, the Generac Automatic standby generator. They get you the right size to fit what you need, they get it set up, and then they're with you after the sale. Three sixty five, twelve months out of the year, seven days a week, twenty four hours a day. You can call and get assistance from them. This is thirty fifth anniversary. And by the way, congratulations Quality Home and on making this your home. You know, they are a Houston based company. They are a local company. They are a family owned company, and they give back to the community. If you're interested in more information, go to QUALITYTX dot com, QUALITYTX dot com or call seven one three Quality. Let's go to Spring Branch. Now we're going to talk to Orlando. Hello Orlando, good morning, Scipe. Thank you so much for taking my call.
Speaker 21: I wish I had some good crops to bring you, guys, but unfortunately I just have bad news.
Speaker 5: That's okay.
Speaker 21: I have these two beautiful pine trees that I think they're being in the ground for longer than my house has been build. My house was being in the mid seventies, and unfortunately, after that recious storm and after that the herocine, one of the trees was suffering and now it's just completely brown. So I was told that they might be pine beetles in it. And my question is one is brown and I think it needs to be turning down, But the other one is green.
Speaker 5: It's completely healthy and beautiful. What can I do to protect that tree from the pine beetles? Well, first of all, when you look at the trunk, Orlando, do you see globs of sap up and down the trunk? Yes? Okay? And are they yeah? Yeah? And little little balls, little globs of it. Are they mostly from about eight or ten feet down? Or they go up higher on the trunk, they go up high? Okay? Do you see any sawdust that's fallen out of the holes that is now sticky, you know, catching in the bark as it falls down? Yes? Okay. And we're talking about the dead tree or the or the brown tree or the green tree now you.
Speaker 21: Know they we're talking about the bron the brown tree on the.
Speaker 5: Yep. Okay, Well you could, I would call UH, I would call Affordable Tree Care and talk to Martin spoon Moore and see see what he thinks on it. And he may be able to come out and take a look. It may be worth trying to spray. If you got that done. He could tell you when and how and what it would cost and everything. Uh, the one that's brown is gone and it needs to come out, and so you need to talk to him soon because pine bark starts to slip off pretty quick after the tree dies. And now you got to treat the very dangerous climb because of that loose bark. And so I wouldn't delay. At least call him, get some advice, see if he can come out well. And Martin, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 21: Martin was here right after the hurricane and he did some truth from the oak trees in the back and he told me those trees healthy. Because I asked him, do you need to do anything to the pine trees and he says no, we don't typically do anything or any shape into the pine to the pine trees.
Speaker 5: They're they're fine.
Speaker 21: But you know, like about a month ago is when my neighbor across text me to say, hey, well trees dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So so here's what happens, Uh, Orlando, the the the tree goo see some stress like it could be drought, it could be other things. I've seen trees get hit by both the lightning and within like two weeks they have pineberk beetles all over them, and it's like the tree is weak. It gives off a smell that the bugs smell, and they come to it, and when they get in it, I mean, it's like you just slided off with a chainsaw. I mean they cut off all the flow from top to bottom, and so that that tree turns brown really fast. And so you may not have had it three weeks or a month ago, and then all of a sudden, now it's like, well, why eat, what's going on here? That's what happened to that tree. But just if you've hired him to come out, just call him back and just say, look, one of those two trees says turn brown. I see all the pinebert beetles spots on it. Talk to skip on garden line, and I just need to know is there something you need to spray on the other one or what would you recommend? And just see he'll shoot straight with you. Yeah, yeah, okay, I'll do that. I will call him and come over here. Thank you so much. Keep appreciate what you do for us. All right, man, Yeah, you bet take care. I talk to you later. All right, let's see here, we are gonna go I got a little bit of time. I'm gonna go to Doris in Austin County. Hey, Dars, I got a little over him.
Speaker 21: Here.
Speaker 5: Let's see if we can help you.
Speaker 9: Quick.
Speaker 20: Take a question.
Speaker 24: I'm going to plant cabbage and I need to know how to keep the cabbage worms out of them.
Speaker 5: Okay, you got two options. One you could spray them periodically with an organic spray called BT be as in boy teas in tom That is a disease of caterpillar and you spray it on the cabbage. And when a cabbage worm or I mean a cabbage looper or worm starts to chew on it, it gets that BT and it makes the worm sick and it kills it. So you would just periodically need to spray with that. And if you see little white moths that are fluttering kind of tanned of white moths fluttering around out there, that's the mama and she's laying eggs to give you caterpillars. So that would be the thing. The other thing you could do is if you take some netting. It could be there's a thing called garden netting that looks like the screen on your house, except it's smaller and softer to soft as a bed sheet, but it's a little checkerboard squares so tiny the bugs can't get through it. Or you can use something called row cover fabric that is the same thing as the liner and a baby diaper, very fine, very lightweight. If you were ever a seamstress and sewed, it's kind of like stabilizer, but a lot softer. And it's also a screen that you put over the plant. So you just drape it over the plant loosely, let it grow up underneath there, and it keeps those bugs from even able to get to the plant to lay eggs, and you don't have to spray it all that way.
Speaker 24: Okay, how oftome do I spray you said periodically before?
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably, Well, I might wait until the first caterpillar show up. That spray does only last couple of days in the environment, and so like, if you sprayed today and a caterpillar showed up on Thursday or Wednesday of next week, that spray wouldn't be controlling anything. So I'd wait to see them and then I would get on about once a week spray schedule. About once a week. You know, a few holes here and there is not the end of the world. You just don't want them turning into the Swiss cheese.
Speaker 24: Right, Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: You have a good day, you too, And I remember, if you get any cabbage out of this deal, I do know how to make star crap, So feel free to drop half of it off at the station and we'll call it even. Thank you.
Speaker 24: Okay, when I get all this cabbage, I'll call and get your accress.
Speaker 5: I'm messing with you. Thank you, Doris. I appreciate that. All Right, I gotta go to break here. I'll be right back. Stay tuned, all right, welcome back. All I need is a little R E S E C D. Glad you're listening to Gardline today. Good to have you with us. You've heard me you talk about Star Hope before, because I believe in Star of Hope. I've been a supporter of Star Hope for a while. I've seen the work they do. I've talked to people that have been through the Star Hope program. I've heard their stories. They change lives. Star of Hope change lives with Christ centered assistance, whether it is providing a meal. Do you know that for two dollars and eighty five cents you can feed a person, a homeless man, a woman, or individuals of a family for two dollars and eighty five cents. They do more than six thousand meals a week. They're at Star of Hope. So how many meals can you provide? You want a way to put your compassion into action in a way that changes lives. I'm not talking about a handout or as they say, three hots and a cot meaning three meals and a place to sleep at night. They do that, of course, but they do more. They change lives. I mean, imagine, let me tell you this, the face of homelessness is different than you think. You know, we see people on tree corners and things like that, driving around town. You see that. But the face of homeless is much more complex than that. And there are a lot of people who, for no reason of their own, no fault of their own, have fallen on hard times. And you know, it doesn't take much before you don't have transportation, you don't have a place to live, you don't have a job, and all of a sudden, now how do you crawl out from under that? And they provide training, they provide places to stay, they provide, you know, care for the kids, take care for the kids while mom or dad is learning and developing their trades. They help you get on your feet and change your life, and that changes your children's life, and that changes our community in the Greater Houston area. It makes a difference. I'm telling you it makes a difference. Put your compassion into action by joining me and giving to Star Hope. All you have to do is go to the website. It's sohmission dot org. Sohmission dot org. Check it out, learn more about it. You'd be very impressed by the way. They have opportunities for volunteering too. If you even want to get more involved, they could sure use that too. We're going to go now and talk to Nancy. Hello, Nancy, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 26: Good morning. You should have an email that I sink. Yes, you should have an email.
Speaker 8: But.
Speaker 25: I do, I do?
Speaker 13: I do.
Speaker 5: That's a Texas Red Bud that you've got. Did you know that's called the Texas Red Bud?
Speaker 26: No, And I looked it up. It's a red bud, and I went, what in the world? I thought it was something else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a red bud. But there's a there's at least three different kinds of red buds you see around here Mexican redbud. You almost never see Eastern red buddies everywhere. It's wild in the woods.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 5: And the Texas redbud has those shiny leaves that don't have the extended tip like eastern redbud does. But it's a good tough redbud. What your tree is doing is it's the end of the year. Those leaves are old, they're fixing to come off, and it's almost like all the way they kind of hold back diseases and things, it sort of goes away and you get all these spots and sections and things. Don't worry about it. Those leaves are coming off. It's okay. That tree is plenty of leaf surface area and it's gonna be just fine. You don't even need the spray and it and it stays that small.
Speaker 26: I've had it when we was about the house about on the lake about four years ago, and it just doesn't grow anymore.
Speaker 20: Is that seven?
Speaker 5: Oh? I don't know. All I can see is close ups to the leaves. How big is the plant.
Speaker 26: It's it's like a little tree and it's about six foot tonne.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll get bigger than that. It'll get bigger than that. Yeah, okay, it some time.
Speaker 26: Okay, Hey, quick note, I told you a few weeks act about my watermelons, whether they were ripe or not. After I got off the phone with you, I walked out to my garden and raccoons had gotten nine of my eleven watermelons. Oh my god, I devastated. It was it was I seven because it one more day and I'm gonna call Skip called you walked up here and nine big beautiful one. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: You know, I think I think I think varmits hear you talk into the house. One time I had a corn patch and I checked it and it's like, oh man, this corn needs to be picked. I'm gonna pick this in the morning. I think some raccoons across the fence heard me and they got in there and they stripped the patch.
Speaker 26: That Adam Carty, I know I heard your story before and I thought of you. Guy said, he's one person that will feel my pain because I feel your.
Speaker 5: Feel Nancy wors Flint wors Flint, I'm.
Speaker 26: Lake Palastin outside of time.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, all right, well thanks for listening up there. Tell your friends to listen to garden Line. Good to have you with us today. Thank you for the call. All Right, folks, always interesting, you know, living in Texas my whole life except for three years. And uh, I feel like I pretty much know every place, have been through it at one time or another. And I still run into place maybe I used to know but forgot. You know that happens, you know what I'm talking about. But anyway, it's always interesting finding new places. Haven't been to there before. All right. I was at Wildbirds Unlimited in Kingwood yesterday, had a great time. Appreciate John and the team out there having us out. We really enjoyed visiting with people and it really had a good time. Walbird's Unlimited is such a great store. You know, there are Wildbirds Unlimited stores all over the place. You can go to the website. Here's the web address. Go to a WBU dot com forward slash Houston and what that's going to give you is it's going to give you a website that has all six stores where you can find them here in the Greater Houston area. You can find the one in Kingwood, or you can find the one. Yeah, there's Cyprus, they're clear Lake. They're all over west side of Houston Memorial. Ay, there's Wildbirds unlimiteds all over and you can find the one near you and when you go by there, you're gonna find quality feed. I just picked up some Wallbirds Unlimited Winter super Blend that is a Cadillac feed. It has got It's packed with fats and proteins and things like that to help birds because you know, we're in a cool season here where the days are getting shorter. It's we're on the doorstep of it, and they don't have as much time to get out there and find feed. And my feeders have been kind of quiet lately. In fact, I was talking to Johan at Wilbirds about that and he said, yea, ask kind of normal into summer early fall. But they're coming back and we know they will. Do you need to have the feed ready to go for them to bring them to your house. Another way to bring birds your house is to have water. Always have water out I've got a little fountain out there. I've got a giant dog bowl type thing that I just keep filled with water all the time. Birds need water every day of the year, especially in summer. But do you know every day of the middle of winter they got to have a drink of water that day. Right, you got water, you'll have birds. And if you go to Wildbirds, you'll have even more birds because they have quality products there, especially those super high quality feeds. Okay, I've got to take you break, Tiffany and Cypress. You will be our first up when we come back. Oh man, well, Chuck Berry by us up here on a Sunday morning. We're going to head straight out to the phones to Cypress Texas and talk to Tiffany. Hey, Tiffany, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Good morning, love.
Speaker 27: Your show is always and we so enjoy wild Birds Unlimited our Cypress location. They're so nice and helpful, so I'm glad you promote them, but I apologize it's been a while. I know they're just the kindest people. It's so much fun to.
Speaker 7: Go in there.
Speaker 27: I had sent you an email of my wax leaf Lagustrians, and we had our house built about five and a half years ago, and they've been so hearty. But recently the leaves have started turning like really yellow, a brilliant yellow with like brown spots on them, and they I just want to make sure that I control whatever's going on before it hurts them since they've been around a while.
Speaker 5: All right, well I'm going to be the bearer of bad news. Okay, But here's what it is. That is a disease called sarcospara leaf spot. It's a fungal spot and wax leaf lagustrum is plagued by it. Every time the leaves get wet, it splashes the spores around and you get more spots. So when it rains or when you have an irrigation spray that hits them, and it is very hard to get rid of. Now you can. You can try to fight it. That's one option, and that would mean raking up all the fallen leaves, picking off the leaves that have spots on them, or even pruning those things back. They're a little large and loose shrubs right now. Anyway, you could do some pruning back or remove it. And then you have to spray every time it rains. Every time it's rains, you go right out after the rain and you spray with a fungicide and that way the spores that would be germinating, you get that fungus fungicide in the plant to try to help prevent it. That's a lot of spraying for what would be the foreseeable future. The alternative, and I said, I had bad news. But the alternative, if they're mine, had pull them up and get rid of them. I don't like that plant. It always looks like this. Once the disease finds it and gets in, you just are constantly dealing with this. So I would rather pull them up, put a plant in that I don't have to take care of all the time, and those you can't. Yeah, okay about those. Imagine those leaves as being sick people in a room. So you got a green leaf and all these sick people coughing around the room, what are your chances of coming out of it not sick? Right? That's how this is. That's why it gets so bad.
Speaker 27: Right, absolutely. Yes, I've worked with kids for twenty eight years, so that's a that's a great analogy.
Speaker 24: I'm thinking about that.
Speaker 27: Right in the classroom in my therapy sessions.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's someone told me once that said, kid kids. Kids are like petri dishes.
Speaker 27: You know you just oh, absolutely, they are bless their hearts, and not all of them wash their hands or cover properly their their nose and mouth.
Speaker 5: Imagine that imagine that a good thing. You and.
Speaker 28: Well, that's that's good advice because you know, it's just these are just the plants that the builder put in, and unfortunately they don't always put the most lush, you know, high quality stuff.
Speaker 26: But what do you them in?
Speaker 27: Because they're big, they're like there, there's a few of them lined up. I'm thinking, oh, at least four, at least four or five. So if we pull those up, what do you recommend me put there?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't. I only see one photo that kind of shows me the setting. You don't want something gigs so big you can't see in and out the windows, so I would go with something smaller. You've got some it looks like an in Hawthorne down there in front. Maybe something with some color behind it, Like there are some dwarf Laura pedlums that are only going to get about four feet high, but you can prune them and keep them lower and they have a burgundy foliage that would be pretty. They would grow in that amount of light there. You could you know, you could put It's just a lot of different plants that could go in a spot like that, But I might consider a very dwarf Laura Pedlim. It's called Chinese witch hazel, purple, burgundy, foliage and beautiful little shaggy pink spring blooms. Just get the shortest one you can find. Because Chinese lation you can get twenty feet tall eventually. So you want to get one that says it's going to get about four feet and then you work to keep it, keep it more compact than that.
Speaker 24: That would be an option, okay, And I'm.
Speaker 5: Trying to break up that sea of green. You know, you don't want just green shrub, green shrub, green drub. Then you lose you don't see them all, you know, But there are some other tall ones. Where are you located, you're oh Europe in Cyprus. Go up to go up to arbrogate nursery or plants fill seasons. They're gonna have a lot of good shrubs and just tell them you talk to me on the air, and here's what you got. You got some green Indian hawthorne, and you'd like a shorter shrub with some color form behind them, and they'll they'll put put several options in your hands.
Speaker 16: Perfect.
Speaker 27: That sounds wonderful. Well, thank you so much, Skip and have a great week and I'll listen to you next weekend.
Speaker 5: Thank you, ma'am. Glad you're listening. Appreciate it. You take care, Tiffany, take care.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 5: Nelson Plant Food is a purveyor of some of the best fertilizers for our area that you're going to find. You know, they've got the turf Star line for your lawn where right now. Carbol Load is the turf Star product for the lawn for fall. It produces or it's made of a good concentration of potassium with some nitrogen that creates winter heartiness. That's what it's called carbol It produces your plant produces carbohydrates that makes it heartier and come out in the spring better. That's the turf Star line. The nutri Star line lots of quality fertilizers that are nutristar. They've got a tree and shrub that is worth having on hand at all times because you're going to use a lot, especially starting in the spring when growth begins and all through the season color Star.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 5: Nelson don't need a bunch of products. For our appearance at Kingwood ac O the day and we had their vegetable fertilizer which is outstanding. I've used it. They have their rose fertilizer, they've got mary fertilizers. They've got the color Star, which is kind of the standard for the line. Color Star is. I guess it's been around for about forty years now, and people even outside of Texas land professional landscapers purchase it and have it chipped in because it's that good color Star. Set that color bed for the cool season on fire with Colorstar. Your pansies or violas, you need vigor. They got to grow, They got to grow leaves so they can make make carbs and make blooms. And if you want your pansies and violas looking got all winter or dianthus or any cool season color plant, Nelson color Star will do it. And I can go on and on. A Genesis transplant mix that's another one we gave away the other day. I love that stuff. Anytime you're putting a plant from one pot to another or into the ground, you use that. So if you're bumping up a houseplant to a different sized pot, mix it into that potting soil. When you do that, if you're putting out broccoli plants in your garden or pansy plants in your flower beds, mix some of the Genesis transplant mix into the soil when you plant, and then after that, every few weeks give them a little dose of color Star and you do not believe the color that you get out of that kind of combination. Good products from Nelson Nelson Plant Food. Well, we're done here. We're not gonna be able to take any more calls at this point in the show, but I just wanted to make a couple of comments before we go forward. I want to remind you that there our ceremonies going on yesterday, today, and tomorrow as part of the two thousand United States Flag program. It's called Honoring Heroes in Fort ben County. So what you do is, this is the University of Houston Sugarland campus. It's on University Drive in Sugarland, and you can purchase a flag to be put out there. But we're talking about like two thousand flags. It is so beautiful when this is done, really worth seeing. It just gives you a chance to feel and a hope at the same time seeing that sea of two thousand flags dedicated to the honor and the memory of those we love. You know, Monday tomorrow, Veterans Day, Monday, Tomorrow's Veterans Day. The memories that can be seen by our children, our grandchildren, our neighbors and our friends. Something that goes on all the time they're done. It's called Honoring Heroes in Fort ben County, part of the Exchange Club of Sugarland, Texas, that annual field of honor. You should go see it if you want more information, if you'd like to give a give someone a call to find out more about it. Just as seven one three eight two four sixty one twenty six seven one three eight two four sixty one twenty six. A good thing to do with the kids. Take them out tomorrow to see that pen. That would be really really good. It always helps you know, each uh, each generation has to kind of learn experience for themselves the sacrifice, the value of what was given so that we get to enjoy the things we enjoy in our country. Certainly grateful for that. Well, you've been listening to Guardline. We're here ever Saturday and every Sunday. I want to remind you that you can listen to past shows both on the website ktr H website or if you'd like to listen to shows live, you can do that on the website. If you're not around your radio or you can listen on the iHeartMedia app. You get the iHeartMedia app, a little red app red Heart, and you can listen to garden Line life out there in the Garden Center as well as listening to past shows. Tell your friends about it. Show that link with them. We look forward to having them as well.